7.3

1. Aug 27, 2019
    a game that distinguishes itself from other games through realistic physicality - aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it is gone.

with the release on the consoles bugbeard has released a huge update (8,8gb) and switched the whole physic to arcade. all positive critics were for wreckfest with realistic physic as you can see on the date. all players who bought the game because of the realistic

all players who bought the game because of the realistic physical and accidents are disappointed.

there are still the old cars and tracks, but the physical has been completely changed from realistic to arcade.

a pity
  2. Aug 29, 2019
    So. Big new update changed the gameplay significantly. For the worse.

They've released a hotfix for rubberbanding issues, fine. It's still baffling how much you can upgrade your car and it not matter in the slightest (even though AI can now utilize upgrades). Also still getting a lot of pink cars that clearly have a texture problem. But as the other most recent review mentioned...
    So. Big new update changed the gameplay significantly. For the worse.

But as the other most recent review mentioned... the gameplay is a complete soft arcade feel. The crashes don't have any real weight to them.

It's changed it from Wreckfest to Spongefest.

Old gameplay was physical, realistic enough for it to feel good, the cornering made sense. The crashes were meaty, the damage was glorious. (Both in the normal mode, and the realistic damage mode. If you're wondering the difference, "realistic" mode made it so if your front wheel bent, you couldn't drive at all, the normal mode made it so that you could still drive on to finish, but steering would be harder).

The new gameplay is like trying to drive a soggy book in a pack of overly vindictive AI driving cars that don't make sense except for a 5 year old.

BugBear need to really focus on the community feedback for this update, and not ignore the many people (check the steam comments as well) who are gutted with these weird changes to things that were the highlight of the game.

I don't really care about flags now being animated, I care about the core handling, crashes, AI behaviour and sense of physicality. I hope another update will fix these things.

It used to be a good game.
  3. Sep 25, 2018
    I was thinking this was like flatout but its only vaguely similar at best, if it was below £10 I would consider it worth it but the game as it is is just far too limited and stops being fun quite quickly with similar looking tracks that dont have shortcuts or any variation along with a limited roster of cars.
  4. Jul 17, 2020
    This is only a cheap racing game, with worse drive physics and a faulty dmg recognition.
    A lot of bugs and less content. I dont understand the good reviews, they are maybe faked.
  5. Feb 26, 2020
    I wish I didn't buy this game, almost no players, basic gameplay, not enough here
  6. Jan 11, 2020
    This game has the hit things with the thing you're in down, but everything else is kind of not fun. I'm not sure who this game is for because it wasn't enjoyable compared to previous derby type games I've played. The physics feel bad, the control just isn't good, the graphics are okay but not great, the soundtrack makes me feel like I should be playing this 15 years ago, and it's just eh.This game has the hit things with the thing you're in down, but everything else is kind of not fun. I'm not sure who this game is for because it wasn't enjoyable compared to previous derby type games I've played. The physics feel bad, the control just isn't good, the graphics are okay but not great, the soundtrack makes me feel like I should be playing this 15 years ago, and it's just eh. I feel like I've played this game as shovelware on the PS2. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 32 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 31, 2018
    There is so much fun in Wreckfest. A racing "deathmatch" which originated on the top demolition technology is full of crashes, tension, but also humor and DIY work. [Issue#287]
  2. CD-Action
    Oct 25, 2018
    This technically superb tribute to Destruction Derby could use some more insanity (especially in terms of unimaginative, repetitive arenas and challenges) and a broader color palette. The default driving model (with active assists) is both believable and satisfying and the destruction model is very detailed. [09/2018, p.60]
  3. games(TM)