3.2

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Nov 30, 2017
    New patches seem to help this game a lot. Im not sure user score is fair now, looking at state of game at release. Hope X4 will have a better launch than this game, as Im still looking forward to a good X-... game again
  2. Mar 6, 2016
    I gave this a well deserved 2 originally. Having played it recently and used a ton of mods to get rid of large chunks of the game I now give it a 5.

It's still quite badly bugged but nothing like before. You can get rid of a lot of the irritating and stupid bits. But you still fly the same crappy ship using the same crappy flight model. So if you want to do a bit of trading and

So if you want to do a bit of trading and building then you might like it.

It's not really a space sim, it's more of a management sim really.
  3. Nov 15, 2013
    the game is what i wanted so far but the performance are horrible at the present moment, less than 30 fps (10 fps in battle) with a gtx 670, which make it painful to play.
  4. Nov 16, 2013
    So far, I've been unimpressed by this game. As others have said, I was drawn in by the superb trailer and with a universe to explore, what's not to be excited about? Sadly, it's execution is insanely bad and such a disappointment. I have literally counted the days for release and even bought a Nidia 770 so it would play fantastic. It's frame rate is choppy, the graphics (excluding space)So far, I've been unimpressed by this game. As others have said, I was drawn in by the superb trailer and with a universe to explore, what's not to be excited about? Sadly, it's execution is insanely bad and such a disappointment. I have literally counted the days for release and even bought a Nidia 770 so it would play fantastic. It's frame rate is choppy, the graphics (excluding space) are average at best, the voice acting is sub par, the controls (keyboard and mouse) are clunky, the in game text is tiny, the combat is nothing like the demo is saw it's simply a mess and shouldn't have been released in this state. It needs another six months in development to finish the job. I'm lost for words that it took seven years to reach this standard. Were there only three people on the team? So, so sad.

As it stands, I'm giving XR a 7. It has the potential to be amazing (and I have no doubt it will be after patching), but, the negative feedback is warranted. People have high expectations and what the Egosoft said they were going to deliver is only 60% there from a performance perspective. Times are hard and financially, the majority of the public can maybe afford one or two games per month. So when X rebirth doesn't live up to expectation, they vent. We were promised space stations to explore and we have them. What wasn't stressed is that they are the same station every time with different NPC's on board. I guess most would overlook this if the frame rate wasn't such an issue. You can tell so much heart and soul has gone into this game and I appreciate programming/coding is difficult. I can only assume the devs were forced to release in this incomplete state.
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    What is the "elevator pitch" for people to upgrade to this game? How is it an upgrade. I can see what it removes from X3 Albion Prelude, and sometimes removing things is a good design choice (though I don't think many nerfs in this game are good) but what Rebirth actually add?
    At the moment it's playing OK for me. Just.
    Being stuck in one ship is a terrible design choice, one I think the
    At the moment it's playing OK for me. Just.
    Being stuck in one ship is a terrible design choice, one I think the developers will regret in the long term.
    Simplfying the trade. Those of use who loved the supply chain logistics of previous X games will be very upset this is almost completely nerfed here. One station does it all.
    Simpler? Yes More enjoyable? Nope not for me anyway.

Combat has been dumbed down. Choices removed.

Things like the stock exchange that was present in AP has gone, the none campaign missions also seem gone.

The graphics while ok are not better than AP either (this is a direct X 9.0c game after all, so is running the same technology as the original X3 more or less)
    I'm not saying this is a bad game, just can't see the point of it existing who did Egosoft make it for? How is it more advanced or better than the last X3 update? I've only put 8 and a half hours in so far, but I might as well write this now, as I can't see me playing any more. It just seems to lack the depth and rewarding complexity of the last games. I'm looking for "new" or "innovative" and can find nothing... at all. Am I missing something?

In short even when fixed, I'm not sure why I would play this in preference to Albion Prelude which is a larger, more mature, deeper and more rewarding game that looks the same (if not better) plays more smoothly...If anyone could answer that question I'd love to hear from them
  6. Nov 15, 2013
    After 4 hours of playing the game and reading through a lot of comments stating that the game "is in shambles" or "crap" "worst than Rome 2" I've come to the conclusion that I have to write a first impression review of this game.

First of all if you are a veteran of this series and have played several other X games before you may know that it is a little bit different than what you know. Either new player or veteran you will need to invest time into the game in order to actually enjoy it.

Graphics :

The "old" parts of the game look gorgeous. The space ships and stations are very detailed and it's amazing the world "living and breathing" of its own. The "new" parts like the character models and the insides of the stations look rather disappointing. The textures are clunky and it seems to be a different world. It just does not fit. The new aspects of the game as said above are at the moment like the dark side of the game. You don't really want to set foot on the dark side enjoy the bright side as long as possible. 6/10

Sound :

Same as the graphics. Outside really amazing and inside not really that good up to a point where it gets rather annoying. The music played while flying through the sectors and systems was composed by an orchestra I think a fits really well to the space theme. 8/10

Game-play :

The controls for flying the ship and walking around are intuitive and especially the ship controls are very responsive. It's overall really comfortable to fly around with the ship. The combat system is not that different from the previous games of the series. The combat system is fine as it is.

The menu controls are terrible. At least for me as someone who played the games before the new "easier" menus are just more confusing and nested. It is really hard to get the necessary information required for the current mission or if you just want to command your transporter to buy some energy cells good luck with that it will take you a while.

Performance Bugs :

I have ready many complaints about having performance issues (low FPS and crashes) but I have not encountered any of this mentioned issues. My game runs fine on 60 FPS without any crashes or FPS drops.

The same goes for bugs. People are complaining that there is a considerable amount of bugs preventing them to play properly and that the bugs are as major as the bugs in Rome 2 for example. I have not encountered any major bug until now so that's definitely not a point to use against this game.

Sadly I can't really write an in depth review because the game was just released 4 hours ago. This are my first impressions and with the way Egosoft has handled their previous games I'm sure bugs and issues will be fixed in a few weeks so that everyone who bought the game is at least able to play it.

Should you buy this game ?

Well that's a tough question. I would not recommend buying it yet but I would also not advise against buying it. I did pre order the game ,because I really enjoyed the previous ones. Egosoft also does seem to be a company listens to their community so if you want to support Egosoft enjoyed X:TC or X:AP I'd and if you are fine with having a not perfect game (atm) then I'd say give it a shot. You could also wait for the price to drop.

Overall 7/10 for now. With some fixes and adjustments it could easily get a 9/10 but also with nothing being done it could drop to a 5/10 depending on the progression of the story the Game-play in the late game.
  7. Dec 5, 2013
    After submitting a fairly early positive score before running into several game breaking bugs, I think its only fair to lower the score. Beautiful space graphics at times (station NPC's are damn ugly tho), but frustrating highway crashes and trading bugs really take away from experience.

Hopefully future patches will improve the game and I really believe in its potential and Egosoft are well known for their after-release support. I hope i can move this score towards an 8 or 9 in a few months time
  8. Nov 19, 2013
    Its sid mears pirates in space, without the rts

I tried to like this game, see the vision. There is no vision. The mechanics of the gameplay are supposed to be automated. All your fleet follows you like in sid mears pirates and the fleet does what its supposed to do depending on what you interface with. This simply doesnt happen, and theres no current gui or hub to make them do
    Its sid mears pirates in space, without the rts

This simply doesnt happen, and theres no current gui or hub to make them do anything else. In face theres no gui or hub atall that makes even the smallest piece of sense. It lacks any real command system.

Its like the devs were programming a game and upper management had a play on some gameplay beta, which ill credit them with that, at a very high standard of gameplay for space combat.. having enjoyed this he asks the team if the game is ready. at which the team explains 'yes but we would like to implement some fine tuning to the in game mechanics bases on previous mods, and personal experience'

having no say in the development, knowing full well the game will be released without previous considerations from the modding community or based on previous gameplay experience, they sabotage the mechanics of the game, knowing full well nobody who made the publishing decisions will ever play the game and even if they did they would never be able to tell the difference between the beta version or the sabotaged version, because they dont know what a mod is, of have the faintest idea of what the past games represent.

That is the only reason i can see why such a total pile of crap might even remotely be considered some kind of playable game, which it is not.

less of the willy battles please.
  9. Jun 4, 2014
    Since the release of version "2.0" in a free patch, the game has improved dramatically. I initially rated it a 3 and now I'm giving it a solid 7.

The learning curve is large. The highways have more traffic than is logical. The voice and in-game humor is rough. Can only seem to fly one ship. (though you can own many fleets of ships) There are other things I could point out.

The learning curve is large.
    The highways have more traffic than is logical.
    The voice and in-game humor is rough.
    Can only seem to fly one ship. (though you can own many fleets of ships)

There are other things I could point out. Thankfully however, they're not game-breaking problems. Typically they're all things which upset the level of immersion a game like this reaches for.

I've put 7 or 8 hours into a new campaign run and I'm quite addicted to playing the game much like I was addicted to the previous X games. This campaign strikes me as better than the previous X games so far.

For all those who bought the game and were sorely disappointed, now seems like a good time to try it out again. For me, the game left a large stink in my memory. I didn't look forward to redoing much of the campaign that I struggled/hacked the game to get through. Once I started, though, I had a lot of fun.
  10. May 21, 2014
    Mit 2.0 langsam spielbar. Gravidar und Zielkontrolle implementiert, Leitsystem funktioniert, Yisha ist leider immer noch die hässlichste Copilotin aller Zeiten und wurde noch nicht durch ein sexy Skunk ersetzt. Keine Abstürze nach 4h Spiel, Story bisher spielbar. Menüs immer noch viel zu klein und verschachtelt. Aber für X3-Zocker im aktuellen Steam-Sale durchaus eine Überlegung wert. WerMit 2.0 langsam spielbar. Gravidar und Zielkontrolle implementiert, Leitsystem funktioniert, Yisha ist leider immer noch die hässlichste Copilotin aller Zeiten und wurde noch nicht durch ein sexy Skunk ersetzt. Keine Abstürze nach 4h Spiel, Story bisher spielbar. Menüs immer noch viel zu klein und verschachtelt. Aber für X3-Zocker im aktuellen Steam-Sale durchaus eine Überlegung wert. Wer X-BTF - X3 noch nicht gespielt hat sollte da anfangen. Expand
  11. Oct 21, 2014
    As of update 2.50 Rebirth has improved quite a bit (Have over 100 hours of game time), from the original mess of release. I have found the game to function quite good and most areas of the game work as intended. With the Xpac around the corner (free to owners of Rebirth as long as you grab it prior to end of Nov 14) I think Rebirth will be in pretty good order, but taking additional 12As of update 2.50 Rebirth has improved quite a bit (Have over 100 hours of game time), from the original mess of release. I have found the game to function quite good and most areas of the game work as intended. With the Xpac around the corner (free to owners of Rebirth as long as you grab it prior to end of Nov 14) I think Rebirth will be in pretty good order, but taking additional 12 months to make it playable was bad for Egosoft and the players. Many left and most likely will not return.

Can only give Rebirth 7/10 as there is a ways to go yet til its worth scoring any higher. But Egosoft does look as though they are pushing hard to get Rebirth to where it should of been at release.
  12. Nov 15, 2013
    I can't even play the game. Every time, whether I select 'Free Mode' or Campaign, it just hangs at 100% loaded and then has a 'Crucial error'. While I can't speak much about the game to warrant a lower score, it has certainly disappointed so far.
  13. Nov 16, 2013
    Another case of "trying to appeal to a broader audience". A rough gem, perhaps much more rougher than previous X titles ever was. Instead of making the game more accessible, and try to get you even more immersed in the universe, they add additional layers which feel like a chore and also are redundant.

The UI is a step backwards in my opinion, and that's something if you've played

The UI is a step backwards in my opinion, and that's something if you've played previous X titles. Poorly optimized, a lot of bugs, etc... However, it doesn't deserve a very low score, as most of these stuff can, and hopefully will, get better.
  14. Nov 28, 2013
    There are a lot of bugs that really need fixing; trading that doesn't work, ally's that don't help you when you need them etc. And yeah, it's not as great as the previous games. But somewhere underneath there is a good game that can be very fun to play with. The previous X games where to big for me, to much to know and to much to work with. X Rebirth could be just the right one for manyThere are a lot of bugs that really need fixing; trading that doesn't work, ally's that don't help you when you need them etc. And yeah, it's not as great as the previous games. But somewhere underneath there is a good game that can be very fun to play with. The previous X games where to big for me, to much to know and to much to work with. X Rebirth could be just the right one for many gamers, specially when the modders get to work with it.

However, this game got released with so many bugs and so many problems, that it shouldn't be released at all. This is a real issue, this game can be great, but it got a lot of negative reviews now that won't go away that easily. A stupid mistake that should not have been made by Egosoft. Postpone the release of the game if it has so many bugs, this just isn't right...
  15. Feb 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hello all, Gamemaster1...here! Now, before you go all crazy I will be giving "Pros" and "Cons" of X Rebirth.
    Lets start with the Pro's: The detail is fantastic! Not just the cool backdrop of planets or the blown up celestial rocks that used to be planets or the distant nebulae floating in vibrant colors. I'm talking about pulling up to the factories and watching the belts of rocks going into the foundaries to be melted down, or the jungle sounds to include running water when you pull your ship over the growing greenery. Police ships scanning for contraband and eletrical sparks emmitting from solar panels. Inside the stations you'll find a mini -game arcade of "Beyond the Frontier"(unplayable but cool eye candy)
    Also, if you pay attention you can see shuttles/elevators going back in forth/up & down as to drop off workers to their apartments, watching energy cells being charged up ready for shipping and crane operators moving large containers...etc.
    So much attention to detail went into the planning of the universe. You can dock with your freighters and capital ships or catch a ride near any "big boy" by flying close enough to get sucked in by the ships massive gravity well,if I may. If you don't feel like fighting battles, dock with your ship and stretch your legs and watch the battle from within the docking bay...brilliant added feature. When you do feel frisky you can target different components of capitals or freighters such as the shield generators, rear engines, jump drive(so they can't run from your wrath of firepower).
    The ability to stop at a station for some "coffee and donuts"(not actually in game) and chit-chat with a number of interesting space folk. Hire some Engineers(to fix your war torn vessel),Managers(to keep track of stations operations), Defence Officers(to protect your assets during battles), Marine Officers(to keep your marines in line during boarding raids), Captains(to fly your newly captured ships)...just to name a few! Thats sooo cool!
    While on board the stations you can look for loot in vents, lockers, boxes and in various places. And sell them to the Black Market dudes(if it's illegal,wink wink) If you like to dance(not actually possible yet) go to the dance clubs and grove to flickering strobe lights and watch hot holographic dancers shake their money maker!...Whoop Whoop!(i'm not a perv, honest).
    While fying your newly found craft sitting next to a hot stowaway(just kidding,you rescue her in beginning) you can discover many hidden cache's of wares(i found 70k and more) in deep space using your scanning mode. The storyline takes you from a slacker "jack of all trades" to a wanted crimminal fighting against an Opressor, Plutarch Mining Company! My list of good goes on and on.

Now for the Cons: Some of the coding is unrefined. Which in most case causes you to restart or load a previous saved game.(they have since patched up to 1.24 which fixes a mess of coding deficiancies) Some of the previous X games added "Fleet control" which is lacking in X Rebirth. A major downer for me since i'm OCD and like to have all my ducks in a row, eating what I tell it to and bitting who I command( the duck's are actually ships folks...jeez)
    And the all too often mentioned "Grandma UI"...is hard to look at, scarred face(Al Pacino style...lol), short hair, and rude to boot.(but thats expected from space fairing peeps) The UI are pretty much stationary except for an occassional girl walking back and forth. And the maintenance guy welding things.
    The lack of movement in your cockpit(you can move around in the back of your ship). There are no buttons to push in front of you for added realism. The poor support for your joysticks. Limited field of view in front of you and no head movement(mouse free look for the lay person...lol). I like to win battles but the fighting/battle worthiness is too easy, and the enemies are predictable with only a few moves under their belt.
    I wish their was a more detailed sector map that showed containers from battles won...over all, their is a long list of just basic content that would make the game more fluid and enjoyable(they are working on bugs and then adding more content later from what I gather.
  16. Nov 15, 2013
    I never played the other X games and this is my first review on this site. I only played 2 hours due to low fps and getting stuck while exploring stations and having to restart(due to no auto-save feature,f5 is your friend).

My first impression with the game was the extremely low FPS(Between 15-40), I don't run a NASA setup but I've always been able to get my games running at 60 fps on 1920x1080 resolution with tweaking. Changing the graphics options such as resolution and AA had no difference on framerate.

The voice acting I encountered was dull and uninspired.

I don't want to do a bigger review right now because I havent been able to play and judge the game properly. But my first impression is that the game is very badly optimized and would clearly of needed more work.

My rig:

i5 2500k 3.3ghz
    8gig RAM
    Geforce GTX 770
    Windows 7 64bit
  17. Nov 24, 2013
    This is my first X game and when I saw few videos on youtube about this game I got really excited. I preordered this.

Things: -Framerate is low, not unplayable but low (i7 950,12 GB, GTX480). **** is nice and seeing things like trade routes from the screen what pops up in the ship is cool and gives nice immersion that I really am on that ship. -When I'm flying could have more little

Things:
    -Framerate is low, not unplayable but low (i7 950,12 GB, GTX480).
    -When I'm flying could have more little screens, like one for the target ship info, map, communication... There is unused space for that atm.
    -Interface on communication is bad. To be more precise its console game bad and its slow & hard to use. Why? If there is over 12 possibilities to choose from WHY. THE. F. I can see only 5 at the time?!! It could be just 12 rows and even game pad user could see all possibilities and choose from those, fast. Not by pressing "show more..." and wait for slow menu reappering. Very bad desing.
    -As a newb I could really use more info about everything. Oh its not a mechanic that repairs your ship, I wonder what it is (answer: engineer). I had and still have to google very much. Civilization 4 had excellent hyperlink system what showed Civilopedia about the thing player was wondering. There is Encylopedia on the game but it could be much better.
    -On campaing/tutorial people speak same time as info text shows on the screen so player doesnt remember either. There are no conversation logs or info text log. Good that missions have little briefing text to Missions screen.
    -Trading is hard. Or actually probably not, cause bugs just didnt let you trade. It might be better now, after trading patch. I havent tried cause new bugs came with that patch.
    -I like the thing that trade doesnt happen instantly and you have to wait ship to arrive, and actually transfer stuff with space station.
    -I like moving on the stations on first person camera, but stealing stuff feels little silly. Framerate on the stations is bad too and stations are all the same. I understand that and its not big problem.

Game isnt very bad, just released too early with bugs. I'm sure bugs gets fixed but at the same time I want to get back to space to trade, fight, mine and all, but I cant cause the game doesnt work!
    With better UI and bug free I could give this 9/10. As high as 9 because this is first game like this that I play, veterans of X serie probably give less.
  18. Nov 19, 2013
    This is my review I did of X Rebirth on my review site, http://tiger-gaming.org

This is my review I did of X Rebirth on my review site, http://tiger-gaming.org

There has been a lot of hype surrounding the release of this game, and Egosoft has put a lot of time into creating such a game. After all, with the huge success of X3 and the X series in general there is a lot to live up to. However, no one can argue that the X games are complicated beasts. Advanced fleet management, combat, trading networks etc. Egosoft needed to “re think” and re design the game in a way to not lose the complexity, but to simplify the learning curve to allow more people to become fans of this very deep, and complicated world they created. Well, this has back fired! Is that a terrible thing, I don’t think so. The complexity is still there. It is just hidden behind somewhat inefficient menus, and interfaces. But don’t think for a second this is the end, far from it.

X-Rebirth is a game that Egosoft has been working on for the past 7 years, and the amount of time and effort put into this game shows. Sure, the models for some NPCs aren't the best, and the dialogue can be a little cheesy, but the real impressive feat is the dynamic living Universe they made. You are just simply a squirrel trying to get a nut in this huge Universe. Of course, that doesn't mean you can’t make a name for yourself, quite the opposite… You are free to do anything at all. You can be a space pirate and pillage any space craft you see, you can be a large scale trade tycoon making Millions, or be the best military combat pilot there is! It’s all up to you, and X Rebirth will let you do it all, at least that is what the plan was.

The game so far for many people has been a let down. There are problems with random crashing, performance issues, bad dialogue, and poor voice acting just to name a few. I was really excited for this game, and wanted to build up a huge trading empire, and eventually build my own space stations. I haven't been successful so far either due to crashing, being stuck in the campaign, or just plain frustration.

But, for all that is bad and disappointing about this game, there is a silver lining. Egosoft is very dedicated to the fans, and surprisingly they have been very supportive with the community and expressed sincere apologies for the issues players are having. I applaud them for doing that. Also, they have been busy working around the clock investigating the issues with X Rebirth and are truly listening to the feedback from the game community.

There is great potential for this game. After having problems with the campaign mode I decided to give the "Free Play" mode a try. And, in this mode it worked quite well. Exploring the Universe that Egosoft created can be breath taking. It is quite large and very well done. You'll find space stations, merchant ships, mining vessels and more just out there, doing their thing. It's all fully controlled by AI.

Another aspect of the game that does work well is Combat. I had some fun while going after raiders. I am terrible at combat in these kinds of games, but I still had some fun. It's especially nice to blow a ship up that is just getting on your nerves. And after gaining some credits currency you can upgrade your ship, and that makes flying and combat even better.

As for my recommendation for this game, it's a tough one. Sure, X Rebirth is not without problems, and I am sure you can read about many peoples experiences on the forums and community, but I like to believe there is still hope for X, and so far the developers have shown me that this is true. If you are an X fan then I say buy the game for sure. You know best that the X games have their share of problems on release, but they also have excellent developers and the games become truly great products. If you are new to the X Universe, you may want to wait for a major patch update, or a sale. But I still would suggest that you don't write this game off as a failure.
  19. Nov 22, 2013
    I never heard of this series before (dunno how I missed it) till' I saw this on Steam. The last game I played like this was Freelancer, and boy was that long ago.

I did some research on the series, heard great things, and jumped on it. I wanted to give you my quick impressions from someone completely new to the series. I knew it was gonna be a little daunting going in, but it

I knew it was gonna be a little daunting going in, but it wasn't as user-friendly as they made it out to be. I read they got rid of a lot of the menus, which sounded great, but..ya...I'll get back to that.

When I first loaded it up, there was a giant ship fighting a nearby station. It was awesome and looked straight out of a movie. Half a dozen fighters were engaged with it, and most of the time I was just idling, doing slow barrel-rolls trying to figure out the controls, but it was still epic.

Once I got my bearings (and was right-side up) I wanted to start getting to know my ship, its weapons, shields, etc. So I start clicking the display screens...nothing happens, I start clicking everywhere else, still nothing. I did however end up shooting the nearby station and they told me that wasn't very nice.

After about an hour I still felt lost. Each station I visited, though looking nice, just seemed like big cluster f*s. I assumed there'd be a shipyard somewhere, but I only ever found the docking bay for the bar, thanks to the giant holographic martini glass. I eventually found some traders after doing some hunting in the station.

I started getting impatient with the lack of info, interface, and sluggy fps and eventually quit. I didn't give up there though, I heard so many good things, and I really wanted to like it, so I went back and got X3: TC, and the difference was night and day.

The UI was the first thing I noticed and it was glorious. It had buttons! And those 'evil menus' that had INFORMATION. It had maps, weapon details and history, all without having to swivel around in my chair to look at some lady who's staring at me, who should be making sure we don't crash into anything while I'm squinting my eyes trying to read the information holograph.

Once again, I felt lost, but it was more a feeling of being a new kid on the block in a vast universe. I felt I had a stronger hold and understanding of my ship right from the get-go (thanks to the easily accessible menus and info), and I spent most my time just exploring and meeting the different races, and seeing the massive war ships and different, divided, stations that I might one day obtain. In Rebirth, I felt lost in my own ship, bashing the console and listening to the lady yell at the computer.

Right now, I'm enjoying X3:TC way more, for a fraction of the price.

If this was meant to bring in people new to the series, I guess it kinda worked, but I just ended up going to an older game.
  20. Nov 16, 2013
    We all waited and what did we get? A console game. Were is the joystick and keyboard control? It is a brave attempt and they do support their games but I worry that the flaws will not be able to be repaired.
  21. Nov 20, 2013
    I am an X fan boy, been following the series since XBTF. I was on the first X forum before they closed it and started the one we see today. So I am not a hater nor I am blind to the games problems. Fact is after 30 hours playing the game, I found the plot game to be either broken, generally buggy or requiring work arounds to just to advice. Your playing around the bugs basically which isI am an X fan boy, been following the series since XBTF. I was on the first X forum before they closed it and started the one we see today. So I am not a hater nor I am blind to the games problems. Fact is after 30 hours playing the game, I found the plot game to be either broken, generally buggy or requiring work arounds to just to advice. Your playing around the bugs basically which is frustrating. The none plot game only works properly for the early stages, there are bugs or missing features that are needed for the mid and late games to work. So what we have here is a basic fly around trading, shooting and doing missions game. This will keep you entertained for about 30 hours before it becomes boring. I must warn you that the tutorial it self fails to explain anything. For example, it says dock at station Blar blar using menu 2-2 but fails to tell you want menu 2-2 is. The tutorial assumes you know how to play X Rebirth already. Turns out what is needed is this. Fly to within 200m of the dock, click on the docks icon and then press F. No menu required. That example is the first experience people have of X Rebirth, it took me 6 hours to work out how to dock... Is it any wonder people give it zero scores. Expand
  22. Nov 23, 2013
    If you thought Alien:Colonial Marines and Skyrim were too polished, then this is the game for you. It does not only contain hundreds of bugs, AI who don't have a clue what they are doing, Shoddy interior textures and NPCs who you just want to punch after hearing the same line for the hundredth time, it also contains Mini-Games and not just the ones intended by Egosoft!

Egosoft have gone

Egosoft have gone back to basics with this title, chucking out silly combat concepts like the ship radar out the window, and if you don't think being unable to track a target well isn't difficult enough, enemy AI has now been told to ONLY shoot the player, this logic sometimes extends to your own ships. Don't be surprised if your shot in the back while the only ship around is your own and a following vessel (I like to think it's a joker captain, who I quickly fire and replace). This does allow for you to practice maneuvering skills, kind of like a game of Deadly Dodge-Ball which can make Fleet fights extremely interesting, since every ship can end up just shooting the player or alternatively all Hostile ships shooting the player with Friendly ships having a smoko break.

You will also have hours and hours of enjoyment baby sitting your empire, not only are your ships almost entirely incapable of defending themselves they will usually go out of their way to follow you even when you don't want them to! Also Egosoft has deemed the need of simple AI commands like Move To, Dock At, Follow Me, Escort Target as unnecessary. Trade ships even one up this by spending 30-40 minutes heading towards a deal you've set up due to explicitly jumping to a sector no where near the deal location, and sometimes completely ignore you! Feel like trading yourself? Don't worry, Egosoft won't make you jump through the hoops of setting up deals and buying goods. You instead, get to Dock on stations and take all the goods like any good Easter-Egg-Hunt, and station authorities don't give a damn!

Now would be a good time to mention the NPCs, more specifically your co-pilot, Yisha is extremely helpful spouting lines like "Shut up, Betty!". You better get used to her looks as you'll be seeing her a lot, so much so that Egosoft deemed it necessary for some eye candy. As for other NPCs, their English is extremely poor and can only comprehend simple lines like "Show me your wares, please!" or "Show me your skills!", you'll fall in love with these two lines as you'll be hearing them very, very often. One more thing I should mention, in the X universe... for some reason has a very, VERY large population of Elderly woman who sound like they are in their 20s/30s.

In all seriousness though I give the game a 5.
  23. Sep 10, 2014
    The game star bad, but now in 2.0 the game it's really good! Many of many bugs it's solved, many new features e optimizations.

Gameplay it's good, but can be better.
  24. Nov 23, 2013
    a week into this game and it still glitchy as hell...poor form developers
    terrible framerate, terrible voice acting, HORRID NPCs, crashes often, bugs galore! (can't, for instance, tell your ships to even "stop" or "go") NOT worth your
  25. Nov 15, 2013
    I have played this game for 7 hours and overall i think it's a good game that needs a couple of patches doing. I'm new to the X series so i can't comment on anything like that.
    The other reviewers are correct in the poor optimization, I also have already have a problem with my saves, i quick saved at one point and it seemed to have corrupted my save, so now i have to manually save every time just encase,
    I worried that all environments like interior space stations might look the same and you know what? They do... There are small differences from station to station but nothing that'd you'd be able to look at and go "Oh there is such a thing, i must be in such a system"
    However in the 7 hours i have played i can't say i haven't had any good moments.
    I give it a six but if they patched the optimization i definitely think it could be a 7 or an 8.
    Needless to say I'll be playing it for some time still, it does immerse me and i must say i think it's one of those games (especially for new players to the x series like me) it will take some time to understand how everything works.
  26. Nov 16, 2013
    There's alot of release bugs right now. I would seriously hold off buying until the majority of them are sorted out. Egosoft is notorious for fixing bugs, so wait a while and check on people's impressions then.
  27. Nov 16, 2013
    I was hoping for X Rebirth to tide me over until Star Citizen gets released...

It looks like this game will be fixed by the time Star Citizen is released in its current state, so I just wasted time and money.

No external view, crowded view, UI and horrible performance issues piece of game
  28. Nov 30, 2013
    After several days of tweaking settings I was able to play this game. That' says allot right there. I rated each section out of 3 1/3 and then added them up.

Graphics(1): The graphics are a rather odd mix. The character models look like those from games made a decade ago. The ships, however, are lovely. The game's frame rate is horrible on my system which runs most other games at

Graphics(1):
    The graphics are a rather odd mix. The character models look like those from games made a decade ago. The ships, however, are lovely. The game's frame rate is horrible on my system which runs most other games at Ultra.

Audio (2)
    The audio is fine but not spectacular. The voice acting is passable but almost seems like "developer voice acting" at times. It is, however, consistent with previous X versions.

Gameplay (2)
    The gameplay is good but still lacks polish. Some of these issues may be due to the horrible frame rates.

That gives X Rebirth a 5 out of 10
  29. Feb 4, 2014
    This game is slowly improving with each successive patch, but the odds of it having a rebirth of it's own in the eyes of the critics and haters are next to none, If you are reading this when the patch number gets to about 1.6 then perhaps give it a go it may have all the bugs fixed by then, but this game is effectively dead in the eyes of the gaming community.
  30. Nov 15, 2013
    Game is not bad but feels rushed and unfinished it is like a Beta version. The animations are ugly and poorly designed with bad lip-syncing but the space environments are very well made. Also the game engine feel unoptimized even some people with very powerful PCs seem to have trouble with the game performance. Of course i feel disappointed as I was expecting better from this game but itGame is not bad but feels rushed and unfinished it is like a Beta version. The animations are ugly and poorly designed with bad lip-syncing but the space environments are very well made. Also the game engine feel unoptimized even some people with very powerful PCs seem to have trouble with the game performance. Of course i feel disappointed as I was expecting better from this game but it is not that bad as some people say in here (probably with some patches it will become way better) Expand
  31. Jan 11, 2015
    I'm reviewing this because I think it's unfortunate that the old critic reviews are based on the game play before patch 3.10 and new reviewers are spending so little time before reviewing such a big game. So I've decided to review the game and and give my impressions.
    It's true what others say, this game is much different in that, unlike other X games where you could pilot different ships and enter space in a suit, you are now limited to one ship and instead of floating in space you now dock at stations and walk around trading with and hiring people.

Doing the campaign is a good way to learn about the functions in X:Rebirth and there are A LOT of things to do in this game. You do need a decent gaming laptop or a desktop to play the game and have it look good. I thought my laptop was good until I tried playing this game on full details :x but relatively high still works fine and the game does looks awesome.

Unfortunately, the game is lacking when it comes to things like customizing your ship, and there are many design quirks that make some things arduous like needing to restock fuel cells. Thankfully some of the more tedious functions in this game can be circumvented by player made mods. Buying the game on steam is especially useful for their point and click mod installations. Another bad thing is the price.
    It is a big game, but it's not for everyone so knowing if it's for you is important. I got it during a steam sale and have played 44 hours so far apparently... but that steam counter is shifty ¬_¬

This game, like other X games, are for people who have a lot of time for space. Sure you can go off doing missions for factions, bounty hunting, patrolling, ect. that stuff doesn't take long and neither does getting the credits to upgrade your ship the way you want it. But when you want to settle down and build a station or factory or start trading or mining, it takes lots of time.

In closing, I bought the game because I liked X3:AP and the story of the X Universe and because it was on sale. I would recommend it for fans of X series, but caution to newcomers who don't know what to expect. Also, after playing a bit without them; get mods.
  32. Nov 15, 2013
    The game is good in general. Nice gameplay, cool atmosphere, but when it comes to the graphics... The UI is bad. It's not just bad, it's horrible. The letters on dialog menus are unreadable, controlls with mouse&keyboard are very uncomfortable.
    Performance is really low as well. My specs are a bit higher than recommended but I still get just around 30-40 fps on low settings.
    So overall,
    So overall, the game is good, however needs some more work.
  33. Nov 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played this game for over 10 hours so far. I've played some of the previous X games and this is far different. In some ways this reminds me of the C&C series. They went a completely different direction on C&C 4 then they did on the previous titles. C&C 4 had some of the elements of the previous titles, but changed a large amount of the core features that people liked and expected. X rebirth went the same way. You have way less control then you did in previous games.

I find the graphics to be great with some lag spikes. The dialouge is what you would expect from the X series. I"ve done well in learning anc controlling the previous games, but I'm finding myself lost in some of the basic features I would expect out of this game. No auto target or target hotkey, you must click on the target to select it. Can't change ships (knew this from the start so was expecting this). No autopilot or SETA(time speed up).

One of the biggest problems is the UI. It would work good on a console, but it is not PC friendly. Having to go 5 levels deep in a radial menu just to say you are looking for a particular is clucking and time consuming. PC's can support many more options and could get this done in 1 or 2 levels.

I'm also trying to figure out how to find and order ships around. As far as I can tell they will only do something if they are in small fleet with yourself. In previous titles you were able to create fleets and assign orders to them, Defend Ship/Station/Location etc....

Also the ability to land and go walking through a station is both good and bad. There's a few different station load outs with some nice eyecandy, but there is a bit of repetition( to be expected to an extent). Having to run around and find merchants and such is fun at first, but becomes tedious. The older games you could just dock and pull up a trade menu. I'm kind of split on whether this is good or bad.

The combat in the game is enjoyable with some exceptions. That exception is being stuck on the same ship with the same abilities. It is very fun taking out the different components of a capital ship. Taking out the turrets to stop them shooting, taking out the engines and such is a fun addition. You don't have to beat a ship down to nothing to stop them from shooting. You can selectively target what you want to shoot.

The map is horrible in this game. The layout was easy to understand in the previous games, but this one I have yet to figure completely out. It would have been nice if they combined the best aspects of the last games map in with this one, but that is not the case.

This game as a lot of potential, but it still has many issues that need to be worked out before I would call it a success. It will take time for the bugs to be squashed and new features to be added, but once that is done it might be a very fun game for most.
  34. Nov 21, 2013
    X Rebirth or X Farewell?

X Rebirth or X Farewell?

If you have read even a single review thus far, then you are probably fully aware of the god awful character design and voice acting, the expansive variety of only TWO lifeless interior spaces, the plethora of bugs and performance issues, the broken gimmicky console UI which doesn't scale to resolutions higher than 720p, the lack of proper joystick and keyboard/mouse controls, and large array of other bizarre design choices and blunders.

Despite these problems, I can't stop playing it. Here's why:

- Flying around in space is GORGEOUS. DX11/DX9 who cares...It looks incredible. Load the Better and Sweet Rebirth FX mods from Nexusmods and it's even better.

- Don't like landing and exploring one of two interior spaces for the 1000th time to find a trader? No problem, load up the NESA mod and be done with it; you can then contact them over comms when nearby without docking. While you are at it, you can disable the pointless voice acting chatter with the Shut Up mod.

- Piloting and combat are fun. I would prefer to use my HOTAS joystick, but the Xbox controller works well enough if you are comfortable using one. However this is only for control of the ship; the UI is a mess regardless of which control scheme you are using. I wouldn't recommend playing at all if you don't have or want to use an Xbox controller, until they build in proper support for joysticks and keyboard/mouse.

-Mods, mods, mods. There aren't many available yet since the game has been out less than a week, but in time the modders will turn this into an entirely different game. There are already some very useful mods available.

Conclusion: If it weren't for the fantastic scenery, fun combat, and mod support; this game would be a spectacular 7 year dud. With mod support there is hope for the future of this game, at least until the end of 2014. Egosoft should have stuck with what they do best, which is certainly not characters and interior spaces on a console. If you can't do it well then you shouldn't do it at all. Modders have quickly chopped those awful bits out of the game so that the rest of us can more easily enjoy what Egosoft does do well; beautiful space vistas, ships, and stations. If you are on the fence of buying this, I recommend watching YouTube videos of gameplay before purchasing since there are no proper reviews out yet.

The decision I must make each time that I want to play X Rebirth, is whether or not I'd rather be sitting in the of my F7C-S Hornet Ghost enjoying the static view of my lonely hanger in all its glorious detail. I doubt it will be a very tough decision next month when the dog fighting module is released and I'm cleared for takeoff. That's when I'll say farewell to the X Universe. For now X Rebirth is certainly not worth $50, but I am enjoying aspects of playing it so I cannot in good conscience give it a negative score below a mixed 5.
  35. Nov 25, 2013
    Revised my score to 3. No longer have confidence they can pull this one off.. even with patches and mods. The map system is unusable, the bugs are too numerous to count, and there's no easy way to manage my trade fleet. I gave it 3 points because the images of space are outstanding. It seems that there were some super competent people on space graphics and theory.. then they hiredRevised my score to 3. No longer have confidence they can pull this one off.. even with patches and mods. The map system is unusable, the bugs are too numerous to count, and there's no easy way to manage my trade fleet. I gave it 3 points because the images of space are outstanding. It seems that there were some super competent people on space graphics and theory.. then they hired someone off the street to code the behavior of ships and the UI. I want to love it.. I really do.. but I just can't. Expand
  36. Nov 22, 2013
    I guess you've already read about all the bugs and design flaws. All those reports are true, but I think there is so much potential and I just hope, that the developers will get this game up and running soon.
  37. Nov 18, 2013
    A great looking space game that needs lots of tlc, some serious re thinking and more time baking in the oven. Could be really great one day if the current issues are taken seriously.
  38. Nov 15, 2013
    This is my preliminary observation after the first few hours of play. Seven years to develop a game designed to play on the PC with controller but no joystick support?! Documentation is poor. These are basic necessities in any flight sim game. Even games 20 years older had better stick support. As noted in other posts, the textures are not of the same caliber as other more contemporaryThis is my preliminary observation after the first few hours of play. Seven years to develop a game designed to play on the PC with controller but no joystick support?! Documentation is poor. These are basic necessities in any flight sim game. Even games 20 years older had better stick support. As noted in other posts, the textures are not of the same caliber as other more contemporary games. I find all this immersion breaking. I'll continue to play this game over the weekend to see if it convinces me otherwise. Thus far I have not experienced any game breaking issues as other have posted here. Expand
  39. Nov 18, 2013
    I'd give it something closer to a 9 if there weren't so many bugs. But I don't think the bugs warrant downgrading it lower than that. Given the scope of the game, and the small size of the company that made it, bugs at release are to be expected unfortunately. That said there are a lot of bugs and they are very frustrating. But as far as I can tell, the major bugs (capital ships notI'd give it something closer to a 9 if there weren't so many bugs. But I don't think the bugs warrant downgrading it lower than that. Given the scope of the game, and the small size of the company that made it, bugs at release are to be expected unfortunately. That said there are a lot of bugs and they are very frustrating. But as far as I can tell, the major bugs (capital ships not repairing, trade ships getting stuck in infinite loops unable to complete a trade) are all in the AI scripts and not in the core engine, and hence fixable. There is a solid and clean engine here that plays great if you avoid the issues that are still buggy, which is unfortunately the AI scripting for trade and fleet management.

The scope of the zones is massive, and the graphics are excellent. Being able to walk around on the ships is gimicky, but does add to immersion and is easy to get through once you understand the comms interface. Space flight mechanics are solid and maneuvering your ship in dog fights while dodging between structures in the massive "space cities" is a fun. Exploring while I do that will keep me entertained while EgoSoft hammers out the scripting bugs with the other mechanics.

The bugs are disappointing and a little more glaring than I expected, but EgoSoft has a history of hurdles like this on release and always hammers through and delivers. I would suggest people probably wait a bit before picking it up if they haven't the patience for dealing with the glitches that are there now.
  40. Nov 15, 2013
    As someone new to the X series, I bought this based off the hype that had been building up for weeks. I understand many people are angry, but the barrage of dramatically low scores is really unjustifiable. Egosoft has released a buggy game with poor out of box performance that has incredible potential now that it may be turned over to extended development and the modding community thatAs someone new to the X series, I bought this based off the hype that had been building up for weeks. I understand many people are angry, but the barrage of dramatically low scores is really unjustifiable. Egosoft has released a buggy game with poor out of box performance that has incredible potential now that it may be turned over to extended development and the modding community that will surely fix NPCs, multiple ships, custom menus, etc. Other than poor performance, in the few hours I've played so far I really see no reason to call for the developers' heads and demand refunds, although Yisha yelling at the computer to shut-up every 5 minutes is rather vexatious. Expand
  41. Nov 16, 2013
    Wait for the 2.0 patch in a few months :P
    The game is ok in some parts Epic in others ..but tragically bad in some basic parts ...

Its like they add stuff in the last few months and did not had time to fix them :(
    The game will be so much different in 6+ months :D
  42. Nov 16, 2013
    Somewhat clunky interface, bad mouse controls. Trading is rather limited.

Though smaller than a typical X universe, it has much better space feel.
    Exploration is pretty big part of the game, if that's your thing.

A game which will easily sink hundreds of hours, if you can bear with it.
  43. Nov 15, 2013
    So, I am one hour into the game, and it's concept is very nice, I think. But the performance was just awful. I don't know how people can make it run nicely. I have an i5-3570k clocked at 3.9 ghz and a gtx 460 (yeah, I know, not the best of GPU's out there). But if I can get a reasonable average of 60 fps in Battlefield 4 on medium settings, running this game at 20 fps is a huge letdown forSo, I am one hour into the game, and it's concept is very nice, I think. But the performance was just awful. I don't know how people can make it run nicely. I have an i5-3570k clocked at 3.9 ghz and a gtx 460 (yeah, I know, not the best of GPU's out there). But if I can get a reasonable average of 60 fps in Battlefield 4 on medium settings, running this game at 20 fps is a huge letdown for me. Awaiting patches. Expand
  44. Nov 16, 2013
    The game is okay. It's not perfect, there are bugs, there are some design decision in the game that I'd like to have seen made differently. The game has been fun for me though! For the first time in an X game I don't feel totally lost and directionless when I launch the game.

Pros: -I got it 25% off -I know from experience that Egosoft supports their games for years, so I expect

Pros:
    -I got it 25% off
    -I know from experience that Egosoft supports their games for years, so I expect issues to be resolved.
    -I know that there are sometimes large content patches as well, so a lot of the issues we see may actually be resolved in 6 months.
    -I'm having fun playing the game!

Cons:
    -Direct X 9
    -32-bit game client
    -Not well optimized
    -Almost no way to control other ships that you own and have crewed.
    -When you dock with a capital you own, you see nothing more than a generic docking/landing bay. The captain and crew all stand around the landing bay, sometimes crouching over and over again...
    Hard to find mission logs (if it even exists). Some instructions pop up on the screen but if you miss them you can't find them again...
    Sometimes the little display that pops up to the right of the pilot (looks really cool) doesn't respond to mouse clicks. I have figure out a reason for it or what causes it.
    Changing graphics settings leads to the game crashing (for me anyway). But the settings appear to be changed when I reload the game.
    NO AUTO SAVE (that I'm aware of)
    NPC models are pretty lackluster, facial expressions are weak, I don't care about it much but it's not a positive
  45. Nov 18, 2013
    I have 40 ish hours in this game and I love it so far but It is currently a diamond in the rough. The game has many bugs and it is hit or miss if they effect your game. I was lucky enough to have very few bugs and I have progressed pretty far into the storyline. Which is actually halfway decent especially if you consider the story in past games. I would recommend playing the storyline andI have 40 ish hours in this game and I love it so far but It is currently a diamond in the rough. The game has many bugs and it is hit or miss if they effect your game. I was lucky enough to have very few bugs and I have progressed pretty far into the storyline. Which is actually halfway decent especially if you consider the story in past games. I would recommend playing the storyline and not free play until you finish the story. This game has a different feel to it then previous games and the storyline helps you get a handle on the game.

The combat in this game is amazing. The AI can be kinda buggy but again Egosoft will iron it out but when it does work the combat is very exciting. I have seen fighter drone fly in formation a couple of time and they unexpectedly wrecked me. The capital ships combat is by far the best part of the combat, The capital ships have targetable components such as turrets, engines, etc. You can not simple sit in place or strafe you have to be constantly moving to avoid the turrets and drones. The combat is hit or miss though sometime the AI refuses to work but when it does it makes the game quite challenging. Given time Egosoft will fix the AI.

At first I hated the UI, I was using a keyboard and mouse and found the lack of shortcuts quite frustrating, I also own a gamepad and once I gave in and switched over to it the UI became easier and made more sense. Switching to a gamepad made the game 10x more enjoyable. The UI still needs work though with information buried away but I am sure EgoSoft will fix this as well and will add more shortcuts.

The graphic are beautiful no matter what some people say. The game does only use DX9 but it doesn't seem to hurt it at all. You can tell they spent a lot of time making the universe look good. The main complaint I have is that the inside of ships and stations need work it is a lot of copy and paste. and the character models are interesting (there is only old shemales with 20 yr. old girls voices in space apparently). Overall the the graphic are quite nice.

The trade is very different from previous games which has upset many people no longer can you set up a ship to automatically make trades for you know you have to tell it which trades to make. The trading is kinda buggy at the moment with some trade ships not completing there trades. I again was lucky enough not to have this issue and set up several trades that worked. The trade system has great potential but is bogged down with sloppy UI once they fix the UI and give you some more command feature trading will be more engaging which I think was the goal. I also played around with mining and the ship work very well with me mining and also on its own filling up its inventory with ore on its own. Overall trading does need some work but is has potential and needs some empire management interface added but it has potential of that empire building feel once you adjust to the changes.

The game is great but you have to put sometime into it before you can see it's potential. Once Egosoft fixes the bugs they will start to add feature like they have done for every single one of their games, I am sure given time this game will be the best in the series. If you have not purchased the game yet I would recommend waiting until some of the bugs are ironed out.

Storyline: 7
    Combat: 9
    UI/Controls: 4 (6 if you switch to gamepad)
    Graphic: 8
    Gameplay: 6
    Total:
    Estimated gameplay time: 1000+ hours
  46. Jan 15, 2015
    This is going to take time to give a full review as progress is ongoing but to cap it off Big Patch after Big Patch.

4/10 Game version 1.0-1.5 was seriously crippled by bugs that made the game unplayable for many including myself. It had bare-bones features, the economy was dead on arrival and simply crippling bugs made allot of features dead on arrival. I'm a defender of Egosoft

It had bare-bones features, the economy was dead on arrival and simply crippling bugs made allot of features dead on arrival. I'm a defender of Egosoft but the game at this stage of it's development was unacceptable. 4/10

Version 2.0 - 2.5 was a major improvement to the game, the Economy was starting to look like it showed signs of life, new features, ships introduced and allot of game shattering bugs fixed.
    But it still has allot of work on it to do if it wants to get a better rating and claw back it's support.
    5.5/10

Version 3.0 - 3.10 I believe is the pivotal moment in the updates that showed that X-Rebirth can turn a disastrous release around.. Most of the worst bugs have been fixed (still plenty more to fix), optimization is a hell of allot better, the Economy in my game is 90% fixed and wares are being made, exchanged and very hard to catch up to.
    More ship commands (still more needed), a free DLC for owners of the game within a 3 month time period (Egosoft said to be currently doing something about those that missed the deadline)
    You can now build in Empty Space and name the Space, which has been a demand with X Fans for years.
    Loads of new Missions including Chain Missions, rewards for missions have been re-valued so you can get 2 million credits for escorting a diplomat etc.
    We can now buy Medium/Small freighters and fighters from Shipyards/Lots.

All in all a vast improvement, I still feel allot is still missing from the game but when 4.0 comes out I'll update this review, my current rating is.

----------
    ----------
  47. Nov 15, 2013
    I am really disappointed in all of you. I hate all of your illogical 0 reviews and it sickens me to even be acquainted or with involved with such a community go to your doctor because you might suffer from autism. X series is known to have issues in the beginning and if you are a true X fan then you'd know that by now. X3 sucked...then came X3:TC. That is not to say this game has itsI am really disappointed in all of you. I hate all of your illogical 0 reviews and it sickens me to even be acquainted or with involved with such a community go to your doctor because you might suffer from autism. X series is known to have issues in the beginning and if you are a true X fan then you'd know that by now. X3 sucked...then came X3:TC. That is not to say this game has its faults the bugs do kind of kill it and the game does seem mainstreamed. The devs tried a new idea, and so far its average, so why are you condemning them? To say this game is the end all of the series is just an exaggeration that you created to make you sound cool. So shut up hipsters go play outside or something if it angers you this much, read a book, be somebody who behaves like a decent human being. Expand
  48. Nov 15, 2013
    X-Birth is a pleasant surprise for me, a first-time player. No it's certainly not perfect: its UI and Engine need a lot more polish and a better training mode would be great. i.e. it needs a patch or two. So far the worst bug was, an audio glitch caused a loading crash (fixed Playback Devices>Properties>Advanced>Default Format> SELECT '16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)' then start theX-Birth is a pleasant surprise for me, a first-time player. No it's certainly not perfect: its UI and Engine need a lot more polish and a better training mode would be great. i.e. it needs a patch or two. So far the worst bug was, an audio glitch caused a loading crash (fixed Playback Devices>Properties>Advanced>Default Format> SELECT '16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)' then start the game). The game's gentle speed and occasional action are great for night-owl OCD play. I gather it's not what long-time series fans were expecting but not liking a game because it wasn't a fanboy-wet-dream come true, is laughably adolescent. It has made we want to try the previous X games. Anyhow, if you're tired of MMO raids, killing everyone in Los Santos, of shooting in post-Apocalyptic Soviet subways or finding another humming Nirn Root in Riverwood give this a try. Expand
  49. Nov 17, 2013
    X Rebirth is a game that requires a lot of time investment. I spend the first few hours just to learn the basics of the game.
    Finding my way around the maps is still a puzzle to me.
    However, the more I play the more I like it. Taking part in an attack on a capital ship is glorious. Getting in close to avoid the gun turrets, and hitting key elements(jump drive, engines, turrets,
    Finding my way around the maps is still a puzzle to me.

However, the more I play the more I like it.

Taking part in an attack on a capital ship is glorious. Getting in close to avoid the gun turrets, and hitting key elements(jump drive, engines, turrets, etc.) to cripple it, while trying to dodge incoming fire from the enemy fighters. Good times.

X Rebirth have it's share of bugs that needs to be fixed, and it is hard to get into. But once you get past the steep learning curve and the bugs, there is a good game to be found. But you still have to really want it, to make it happen.

P.S. I'm playing with an Xbox 360 controller, it seems to be the best way to enjoy this game.
  50. Nov 17, 2013
    I'm forced to write a review of this game, seeing as many is given this game too low or to high score. What is wrong with you all people? How can you write a review of a 100 hour game after only played it for about 10 hours? Can't you all see your own bull****. I have given this game a seven because I had to give this game a score to could write this review. And a 7 out of ten is onlyI'm forced to write a review of this game, seeing as many is given this game too low or to high score. What is wrong with you all people? How can you write a review of a 100 hour game after only played it for about 10 hours? Can't you all see your own bull****. I have given this game a seven because I had to give this game a score to could write this review. And a 7 out of ten is only okey by todays rating. Anything below a 7 is considered ****

I have played this game for 10 hours, and I say that under these ten hours I have enjoyed the game. Sure it's buggy, it's ugly in some parts of the game (rest of the game looks really nice), UI is awesome and at the same time it's too simple and strange. About the complaints about the fly only one ship, HELLO I don't want to have more than one ship to fly. One is quite enough if it is done right. The design decision to walk around in spacestations was a great idea but badly executed (not that bad but it could definitively have been better). All I have written is more to the truth than nearly all other "reviews" here.

Should you buy this game? Maybe, because it's not because of this game, but because, and this applys to all games, I'm against paying for games that's broken and games that rips off the consumer in some way. Otherwise it's a nice game, and I'm going to enjoy it many, many hours yet.
  51. Nov 17, 2013
    Firstly the cons, the game feels glitchy in places and at times it's hard to follow and the story line which can sometimes be a bit vague in how to complete a quest. However the campaign itself is a huge improvement over previous games which I have to applaud them for. Game play (for me) isn't hindered by the current bugs which makes the game itself mostly very enjoyable to play. However,Firstly the cons, the game feels glitchy in places and at times it's hard to follow and the story line which can sometimes be a bit vague in how to complete a quest. However the campaign itself is a huge improvement over previous games which I have to applaud them for. Game play (for me) isn't hindered by the current bugs which makes the game itself mostly very enjoyable to play. However, if you're looking for a polished game then I would recommend waiting a couple of months, possibly a Christmas present to yourself ;)

I'm optimistic about this games future as Egosoft have a reputation of huge updates with include both bug fixes AND extra content (for free!!). Personally I don't find the bugs too much of an issue right now, however I could understand why others might be a little unimpressed with what feels like a potentially great game that has been released prematurely.
  52. Nov 17, 2013
    This game COULD be great, and as the community (or even better, the developers) works on some polish, I think it will be much better. Absolutely beautiful universe that is ripe for some good X gameplay, the problem is too much missing from the X. Marry this with all the good things from X3 and it would be great. They really screwed up by pushing it before it was ready and replacing/fixingThis game COULD be great, and as the community (or even better, the developers) works on some polish, I think it will be much better. Absolutely beautiful universe that is ripe for some good X gameplay, the problem is too much missing from the X. Marry this with all the good things from X3 and it would be great. They really screwed up by pushing it before it was ready and replacing/fixing things that weren't broken or were superior. I really hope that through DLC and modding that it will stand up better to its predecessors. Expand
  53. Nov 18, 2013
    Played this game for over a day, first impressions are good personally I like the new interface and style of the game but there are a lot of bugs for a release version of the game it needed a few more months to iron these out before release.
  54. Nov 15, 2013
    Enjoying the game so far. Much more fast paced than x3 which I thought was way too slow and honestly pretty boring. It feels like I'm actually playing a game this time instead of just navigating menus or spending half my time alt tabbed while my ships were on auto pilot. The new boost and highway systems are cool, SETA was awful, glad to see it go. Controls are pretty good once you getEnjoying the game so far. Much more fast paced than x3 which I thought was way too slow and honestly pretty boring. It feels like I'm actually playing a game this time instead of just navigating menus or spending half my time alt tabbed while my ships were on auto pilot. The new boost and highway systems are cool, SETA was awful, glad to see it go. Controls are pretty good once you get used to them and combat can be pretty fun. Exiting your ship and walking around is a nice addition however some of the npcs look pretty awful. The worst thing about the game so far is the horrible optimization and some people have been mentioning bugs but I have yet to encounter one. Hopefully these will be fixed soon. Overall I think its a pretty good game but needs a little bit more work. Its going to attract a different crowd I think than the other x games. Expand
  55. Nov 15, 2013
    I will start my review by correcting a couple things I have seen in other reviews.

1. OMG NO JOYSTICK SUPPORTS!!!! Incorrect I have been playing on my joystick all day. The base layout, however, is terrible. I pushed the throttle up and my ship started turning. I started to turn and my ship fired rockets into a destroyer... who did not appreciate being shot with rockets. In short you just have to map them in game to work.

2. I can't invert the y axis! Incorrect, you can invert everything with mouse or joystick. Keep looking there is an option that says invert axis. Open that up and then invert options for everything comes up.

3. I have a top of the line pc but the games FPS makes it unplayable Incorrect. While an engine built from the ground up is not going to be as efficient as an established engine with 50 people or so working on it like frostbyte, this one is functional. I am running an I7 2700k, EVGA GTX 680, 16 gig ram and an Asus ROG main board. I get smooth frame rates at about 40 FPS with everything maxed out. Should it be better? Yes but it is certainly not unplayable. I imagine people with serious performance issues are long over due for a windows reinstall or in need of driver updates on the mainboard itself. Hopefully they at least have the GPU updated.

For my own review of the game there are several things I don't like. The interface... is such a damn chore. Using it sucks the fun out of the game. Experienced X3 players like myself hate it. No matter what you say about it, trying to make X-Rebirth work with a radial menu was a TERRIBLE IDEA. It really does feel like they only did this so they could port it to consoles. Seriously, I have not noticed one advantage to this terrible design feature. I'm sorry Egosoft but it has to go, or make another UI like we are used to and let us control our Empire like we should be able to. Give players the option to select either UI interface from the loading screen options menu.

Character models yes they are terrible but honestly I dont care. that is not why i play x games. hearing the same lines over and over.. that does get fast old. One of the first mods that i will download will be one that removes yisha's ability to say "no shut up betty!"

Space Highways I love them and hate them at the same time. While a great way (and awesome idea) to get around without SETA, the minigame has got to go or at least be given the option to be disabled. I'm sorry but I dont want to play X Rebirth Tokyo Drift. My viewing area is already limited by a view, I dont want to reduce it any more by having to draft behind another ship.

Trading Give the skunk more cargo area. Some people like myself actually enjoy being the ones to buy and sell goods. Taking away that option from me and forcing me to be the Albion Skunk Van Lines dispatch operator is not "freeing" me from anything except being able to do what i want to do. On that note and related to UI controlling ships needs a serious revamp. Nothing you did improved upon X3. IMO and many others it was a giant step backwards.

Space and space cities looks great, however, I absolutely hate "collecting I's" It is as if you made these awesome stations and then were afraid that people would not look at them so you started saying "i'm make you look, look at what i made, LOOK AT IT LOOK AT IT LOOK AT IT!" Thats great, believe me i would spend plenty of time on my own flying around stations without being forced to in order to collect Is. There is nothing "immersive" about the current system.

I'm running out of characters. While my review seems harsh and does not match the 7 i give the game let me explain my reasoning. There is alot that is good about the game, especially when you consider that a team of 30 people made it from the ground up while also working on expansions and supporting X3. If there is one thing that Egosoft has shown is that a game they release is only the beginning of it. They take feedback, build on it and so on until at the end of life the original game is but a shadow of the true finished product. They give modders the tools they need to help customize the game to everyone's liking. The game works, it looks good (except inside stations) and does have alot of depth. It is just currently held back by a few poor design choices IMO. Unlike other companies you know that between Egosoft and Modders they will be addressed.

Just look at what X3 turned into. My 7 takes into account the history of Egosoft. The game -is- playable in current condition despite what the ADD kiddies are screaming on these forums. As expected though, the game still need work and more time to grow. If you are unable to go through the growing pains with them then hold off on your purchase because you WILL regret it presently. Otherwise buy it and join in on the fun and the ride to the top.
  56. Nov 25, 2013
    X Rebirth is a particular title,
    A game never intended to and will never pertain to broadest audience.
    But nonetheless X Rebirth as a continuum of the franchise is ever getting bigger, wider, more choices, and more freedom. Ok the game bugs can be frustrating and who knows, perhaps more optimized textures may come along too. My point is that an average of 3.3 is pretty harsh
    X Rebirth is a particular title,
    A game never intended to and will never pertain to broadest audience.

My point is that an average of 3.3 is pretty harsh considering the intention.
    I mean is Bf4 3.3? after it is still very buggy.
    Is Rome II 3.3? after all it is still AI ****
    The list can go on and on of worst to mild bugged up game, yet, because of load of PR and marketing the game never goes below 5, yet, X Rebirth appears like the vengeance of the gamers ready to knife it down at first frustration.
    So really gamers, do you always need to be lubed by a good PR to make you like a game whether with no, mild or frustrating bugs while knowing patch will come along?
  57. Nov 18, 2013
    I noticed a lot of people gave the game low scores because it's very buggy which is fair but many games are launched buggy so I didn't let it bother me. The game will be patched over time as other X game series have in past to the full potential. I played the game for about 8 hours so far. Had crashing issues but it was solved by simply changing my windows sound settings.

THE GOOD

THE GOOD
    It feels like Privateer in a Freelancer style universe. Amazing music almost puts you in a trance. The game does a really good job at immersion (that also means no 3rd person view YAY!). The universe is huge with lots of things for discover. You feel like you're a part of it. I love landing on repair stations and looking out and seeing the rest of the station around me. Lots of stuff to do if you're willing to take the time to explore.

THE BAD
    Lots of bugs, some are game breaking. Somewhat steep learning curve. Feels like a console to PC port. B movie campaign story line and voice acting. Some areas have low textures and player models have weird necks. Long load times. Generic FPS station layouts. Inability to change font size. Can't walk around on bridge of your ship, only the cargo hold. Can't bind some menu hotkeys.

This game will be good to revisit once all the bugs/glitches are fixed in future patches.
  58. Nov 16, 2013
    The reason I purchased this game may have had something to do with the awesome soundtracks they added in the trailers. Or perhaps it's just my love for space games.

The graphics in X Rebirth prove not to be anything of substantial note. The tutorial is confusing, I had to look online for additional help for gameplay during the tutuorial itself. I must mention the repeat enviroment as well. It is a pretty sight flying around initially, but after a few hours of gameplay you've seen it all.

However this game has some serious promise. Not many space game's on the market. Eve "online" taking the cake for sure. I will continue playing the game to see if it can tug my curiosity further.

X Rebirth has some serious potential so I give it a 7/10.
  59. Nov 18, 2013
    While it is easily the most beautiful and "alive" galaxy in an X game (or any similar title), shortcomings like hideous character design and low-res cut-and-paste interiors really wear on you after a little while. The lack of basic features like detailed fleet commands is a baffling change, and would be even if the wonky ship AI always worked as intended. The map is nearly useless in itsWhile it is easily the most beautiful and "alive" galaxy in an X game (or any similar title), shortcomings like hideous character design and low-res cut-and-paste interiors really wear on you after a little while. The lack of basic features like detailed fleet commands is a baffling change, and would be even if the wonky ship AI always worked as intended. The map is nearly useless in its current state, and target tracking in combat leaves a lot to be desired. (Combat itself, however, is quite good.)

The campaign isn't terrible, but bad voice-acting holds it back. Myriad small bugs litter the game from beginning to end, though most of these are par for the course with Egosoft and will be fixed.

I liked the older X games, but I always found them sterile, clunky and unintuitive. As such, I can appreciate what the developer attempted to accomplish with a more accessible title, but the execution is off. Many old fans are put off by the streamlining, and would-be new fans are put off by the bugs. Rebirth needs a lot of work to even have any hope of enduring like its predecessors. Fortunately, Egosoft's history of post-release support is good, but only time will tell what becomes of this troubled entry in the X franchise.

All that said, I am still enjoying the game quite a bit (sitting at 19 hours as I write this), but I must reluctantly suggest to any prospective buyers that waiting is your best choice right now.
  60. Nov 20, 2013
    In it's current state I'd have to mark it down due to the number of bugs and questionable design decisions such as lack of command management on capital ships. The game has a great deal of potential though and will probably be worthy of a higher score after fixes and a greater number of command options are added.
  61. Nov 24, 2013
    I installed X-rebirth on fresh installation of Win7 64bit. No single crash so far, so I highly recommend to have "healthy" system. I like highways, graphics and altough I am facing some performance issue /15-40fps/ it is playable for me, there is some soul, music and feeling in universe is immersive. I am looking forward, when they will increase sight from your ship as well withI installed X-rebirth on fresh installation of Win7 64bit. No single crash so far, so I highly recommend to have "healthy" system. I like highways, graphics and altough I am facing some performance issue /15-40fps/ it is playable for me, there is some soul, music and feeling in universe is immersive. I am looking forward, when they will increase sight from your ship as well with performance update. New controls and ways of playing is, well... it is completely new interface and new game, you have to learn it, but I was surprised, it is not so bad as I read on forums. It is step forward, but egosoft will need to work on this game and already is hard working. I see bright future for this game. And excuse me now, I am going to play it again... Expand
  62. Nov 19, 2013
    Patches and mods are coming think and fast making what was a terrible release and increasingly addictive game.
    The game is as stated in the title a "Rebirth" and you realize this as soon as you start a game.
    Although many see this as a regression in game mechanics, i believe it to be a firm foundation for a reboot of the series. I'm rating 7 for v1.4 and im sure my opinion on the game

I'm rating 7 for v1.4 and im sure my opinion on the game will only get better as time goes by.
  63. Nov 22, 2013
    Fun game, have played for a bunch of hours. However the reason I'm giving this a 7 is because I can't seem to pirate anything. The in-game chatting is a really fluid and cool feature. You figure out the buttons after a while too. A lot of people said they had bugs, I haven't run into any graphical bugs other than ships driving through space stations. The meta game is there, I don't evenFun game, have played for a bunch of hours. However the reason I'm giving this a 7 is because I can't seem to pirate anything. The in-game chatting is a really fluid and cool feature. You figure out the buttons after a while too. A lot of people said they had bugs, I haven't run into any graphical bugs other than ships driving through space stations. The meta game is there, I don't even have a ship yet and I've spent a lot of time getting a crew together. Fun game. Expand
  64. Spx
    Feb 27, 2016
    Now it has become a better game, thanks to constant updates and patches of the developers. Sadly the game will never be as good as the previous chapters which share only the name. Player can pilot a single ship for all the game!!! This is unbelievable for people as me which bought and played the real X games. Don't buy this if it isn't on a (big) sale!
  65. Nov 29, 2015
    Lol.. I am writing this review not to say how I feel for this game. I am one of the X Universe fans, so obviously my review would be negative. I just want to tell to people that indeed this game is not bad. Here is how it goes;

This game is perfect for; -New players with no expectations from X Universe games -Players that would not mind playing a sidestory that takes place after

This game is perfect for;
    -New players with no expectations from X Universe games
    -Players that would not mind playing a sidestory that takes place after Albion Prelude on a tiny part of the X universe and then go back playing X3.
    -Players that absolutely hate really complicated games.
    -Bored people that the best thing they have to do is watching paint dry. But since nowadays there are tons of games in the market, I doubt there are any of these.

This game is not good for;
    -Anybody else.
  66. Jun 7, 2017
    Been waiting for a long time for sequel, and then... I don't think this is a bad game, but it just isn't what I expect from X series. Graphics is good, bugs have been ironed out with patches, but concept is just not what I wanted. After having fun for a while, I transferred to Elite, SPG and otherspace games to get my fix

Generally unfavorable reviews - based on 24 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 18, 2014
    Rebirth lacks inspiration, purpose, good ideas. It's riddled with bugs and, even when it seems to work, it manages to be dull. There isn't any true reason to play it.
  2. CD-Action
    Feb 10, 2014
    Instead of giving the series a new life the developers buried it and the patches are a classic case of ‘too little, too late’. There’s a lot of things you can forgive this game but not the fact that it’s boring. [02/2014, p.58]
  3. Jan 31, 2014
    X misses the spot. The occasional bit of spectacle can't save this boring, broken and charmless space simulation. [March 2014, p.60]