6.4

1. Apr 14, 2020
    I tried this game after all the good things that I heard about it. And I found that is unplayable with a keyboard. I can't understand how such a basic feature like this could be absent in a PC game nowadays, No rebinding, missing key elements that couldn't be activated without a controller. Just awful
  2. Apr 18, 2020
    This game has some good ideas. But compared to Mario or Donkey Kong (the games it is clearly inspired by) it just feels so slow. So many of the levels have you riding or waiting for slow moving platforms.

Ans dont even get me started on the tedium that is the Impossible Lair. An overly long level that is just gotcha moments rather than relying or testing the skills you learned through the game.
  3. Oct 12, 2019
    This is honestly the worst **** game i have ever played in my entire life! How the developers screw up Yooka Layle with microtransactions!!! The DLC also are a joke.... a bad joke...
  4. Mar 22, 2020
    Looks nice. I like the gameplay. I like the idea but not the implementation.

Looks nice. I like the gameplay. I like the idea but not the implementation.

I really don't like the fact that you can destroy objects and enemies (you have to use them to jump on) on accident (very easy to do) that are necessary to obtain certain things and reach certain areas. Thus, if you destroy something you find out later you need you have to restart the whole level. This is terrible design and very aggravating.

The game needs the ability to "reload checkpoint". If you die, it kind of reloads to a checkpoint, but there's not always a way to easily die, and the checkpoint doesn't seem to re-save even though the animation shows that it does.

Then every time you die it plays an annoying sound (which ends up making me play without sound altogether) and gives a few second delay before you can try again. Certain parts take a lot of experimentation and attempts before you can do it, so altogether, the only method it gives you for retrying certain parts (go find something to kill yourself, listen to the death sound, wait for the delay, then do the whole section again) is really annoying. If I see something in a game that's gettable I feel an urge to get it. When they make it this tedious to get it it's super frustrating. There are also things you only get one chance at unless you want to restart the whole level. This is just trash. There are even things that seem to be put there just to FK with you, because it's either not possible to get them or it's ridiculously tedious. When I watch playthroughs people just ignore them. Even your buddy that gives you an extra life and special moves - when he gets lost he doesn't fly in a random or set pattern, he toys with you.

If you're a person that 100%'s games, avoid this one. The only way to find it enjoying is to ignore the majority of stuff and just try to get through the game while appreciating the art/graphics.

Can't rebind the controller or keyboard, and the default keyboard keys are set to the JKL; area for some strange reason.

Just another game purposely designed to be a headache. Another one of those games where I don't feel satisfied/accomplished after completing something, I only feel a little less frustrated and angry that the devs made me go through that.

It's also designed so that you have to play levels multiple times. For example, there are so many places where it doesn't let you backtrack, and it's extremely easy and common to not notice something (or even accidentally cross a barrier/door) until you've passed one of those block-offs preventing you from backtracking. They block you off for no good reason. Just another opportunity for them to FK with you and make you redo the whole thing over and over.

There are places where if you lose your bat friend you cannot progress. Since there is no "load checkpoint", if there is no way to kill yourself you have to restart the whole level.

Often times there are two identical doors you can choose to take. One of them will lead to an item, and the other will prevent you from getting the item and going back. 50-50 chance of having to restart the whole level.

The ground is very slippery. You easily slip off and die.

Whoever made this game, please never make any game again. And people, please don't buy these types of games, it will only encourage this type of bad behavior.

Some people may not mind playing levels over and over, but since the first time of a level is often tedious enough, playing it again is a "no thanks" from me.

Unskippable intros.

On level 7 you have to complete one map to get teleported to the 2nd portion. There's a door there you have to knock down to get access. I went into the level without knocking the door down (didn't notice the door, just continuing playing), had to do something mid level and quit the game. When I came back there is no way back to the 2nd portion since I didn't knock down the door. I'll have to replay the entire level just to get back to the same spot. There are just so many stupid terrible, frustrating design choices like that.

And on the 2nd portion of level 7 it seems to be bugged. There's a lightning that kills you if you're not fast enough, but it kills me in a ridiculous time, so I looked up a playthrough and it's not following and killing them fast at all.

There are invisible things in hard to get places, so the only reasonable way to find out they're there is to watch a playthrough. Terrible.

Other parts are completely random, so you have to try it over and over till it lines up properly.

Did not enjoy this game at all. I uninstalled about midway through. I watched someone do the end on youtube and I have to say, for the people who are able and willing to do this, this is not a good use of your time. There are vastly more important things that competent, high functioning people could/should be doing.
  5. Feb 23, 2021
    Horrivel, esse jogo é muito simples ate mesmo para o publico infantil.
    Eu fui estar ele pq disseram q era parecido e bom como o donkey kong country

Generally favorable reviews - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 30, 2019
    Playtonic has absolutely smashed it with Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. It builds on the team’s experience with platformers and manages to improve on its predecessor in every way. One of the best platformers I’ve played in years.
  2. CD-Action
    Nov 25, 2019
    Each level is a rainbow firework that captivates with detail, makes laugh with the character design, and amazes with its quality and design. [13/2019, p.66]
  3. Nov 7, 2019
    Yooka-Laylee is back, waxing nostalgic again. This spin-off celebrates 2D platformers of a bygone age and brings tasteful fun, even though it’s not very original at all.