6.5

1. Jan 31, 2020
    A big step up from their debut game. Playtonic feels MUCH more confident in the 2.5D space. The overworld is fun and packed with secrets. Every level is unique and bursting with charm. And the challenge is nicely portioned. Check pointing (and losing all your collectibles on death) can feel a bit harsh and arbitrary. It's just a good, fun game with the right amount of challenge.A big step up from their debut game. Playtonic feels MUCH more confident in the 2.5D space. The overworld is fun and packed with secrets. Every level is unique and bursting with charm. And the challenge is nicely portioned. Check pointing (and losing all your collectibles on death) can feel a bit harsh and arbitrary. It's just a good, fun game with the right amount of challenge. Recommended for all platformer fans. Expand
  2. Oct 31, 2019
    Its a fun little platformer. Controlles not perfect whit controller but still great. Runs pretty good. Levels are designed well some levels can be frustrating but still fun.
  3. Nov 4, 2019
    Wow! This game gets really close to be a real DKC (Snes style) successor. I definitely recommend this one! The exploration of the overworld is awesome and it have some good levels too.

I wish only to suggest a few things for the next one: 1 - Make two playable characters like in real DKC (Diddy and Dixie) (For the next one I suggest some cliche like Laylee was kidnapped and Yooka and

I wish only to suggest a few things for the next one:

1 - Make two playable characters like in real DKC (Diddy and Dixie) (For the next one I suggest some cliche like Laylee was kidnapped and Yooka and his cousin will search for her)

2 - Implement an way to exit the level that you already have finished without losing the Trowzer coins

3 - Design the level to have only one checkpoint (several checkpoints like Rayman origins style is getting boring)

4 - Instead of 5 generic Trowzer coins in each level, put only two Trowzer coins per level with bonus level challenge to acquire each one (DKC style again)

5 - Include some boss levels in the overworld (the player have to beat the boss to gain access to new area, no more paywalls)

6 - Include a secret world where you have spend the Trowzer coins to play new levels (paywalls only in the secret world)

7 - Put a single special coin in each level (like a DKC coin in DKC2 and DKC3). Make it an extra... maybe an 4th slot reward only.

Follow those steps and your game will be the GOTY
  4. Oct 14, 2019
    DON'T believe the negative reviews (which are all posted by 1 guy with multiple accounts), 'cause it runs like a charm (60fps) and the only DLC is a tonic pack, which costs just $/€4,- (and is 100% optional)!
  5. Oct 14, 2019
    A fantastic platformer game with the best interactive overworld map I've seen in the genre since Donkey Kong Country 3.

I love how the puzzles in the overworld allow you to create state changes to levels, altering them in very meaningful ways (e.g. throwing an ice bomb on a level to freeze all its water). The platforming itself is precise, with creative level design. The only

The platforming itself is precise, with creative level design. The only downside to the levels is that it could stand to have more visual variety between worlds.

Presentation is good. The game has great visuals and music. Some minor issues are an unskippable logo sequence at the start of the game, and the game displaying Xbox buttons when playing with a PS4 controller.

Recommended for fans of the Donkey Kong Country series.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 30, 2019
    Playtonic has absolutely smashed it with Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. It builds on the team’s experience with platformers and manages to improve on its predecessor in every way. One of the best platformers I’ve played in years.
  2. CD-Action
    Nov 25, 2019
    Each level is a rainbow firework that captivates with detail, makes laugh with the character design, and amazes with its quality and design. [13/2019, p.66]
  3. Nov 7, 2019
    Yooka-Laylee is back, waxing nostalgic again. This spin-off celebrates 2D platformers of a bygone age and brings tasteful fun, even though it’s not very original at all.