6.9

1. Sam
    Feb 24, 2006
    It's kind of like a spin-off of a great movie, good, but the director (or in this case, developer) forgot everything that made the original a classic.
  2. CrazyM.
    Apr 17, 2003
    Graphics are mildly better then the first game but there are many down sides which include: dodgey camera angles and poorly made bosses.
  3. AshleyB.
    Sep 15, 2004
    Very good game and storyline but too short and both discs are too much alike and the attacks are very simple.
  4. Alex
    Nov 15, 2005
    DMC 2 is nowhere near the instant classic that its predecessor was, but it still a fairly decent game. the gameplay and fighting jave been reworked a little for the better, and the addition of Lucia as a playable character was a nice touch, but the recycled dialogue (there are exact rip-offs from the first game), used-and-abused storyline, and somewhat redundant boss battles hammer the DMC 2 is nowhere near the instant classic that its predecessor was, but it still a fairly decent game. the gameplay and fighting jave been reworked a little for the better, and the addition of Lucia as a playable character was a nice touch, but the recycled dialogue (there are exact rip-offs from the first game), used-and-abused storyline, and somewhat redundant boss battles hammer the score down from an otherwise playable and even enjoyable game. Expand
  5. May 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Easily the worst of the series, Devil May Cry 2 attempts to streamline the gameplay by doing away with the most interesting game mechanics of its predecessor. Less focus on upgrading weapons and learning new moves, more focus on art and story. STORY, I'll remind everyone, in a game made by Capcom. So since this isn't Resident Evil we're talking about, assume the story here sucks the big one. DMC2 does, however, kick a lot of ass, but the action is poorly split up, and the game is over too soon. The worst part is, once you beat the game you figure out what the second disc is for; replaying the game as a crappier character. Bor-ring. Thankfully, each DMC since this turd has been a blast. Expand
  6. Jan 20, 2016
    Game: Devil May Cry 2
    Genre: Action
    Developer: Capcom System: Playstation 2 (PS2) Total Score: 60/100 Value Score: 6.0/10 • Story: 5/10 • Characters: 4/10 • GamePlay: 5/10 • Graphics: 6/10 • Sound: 5/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 6/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 4/10 Pros +Ability to swap secondary weapons (Guns) has been added +Play as two different characters +
    Game: Devil May Cry 2
    Genre: Action
    Developer: Capcom
    System: Playstation 2 (PS2)
    Total Score: 60/100

• Music: 7/10
    • Length: 6/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 4/10

Pros
    +Ability to swap secondary weapons (Guns) has been added
    +Play as two different characters + one more after finishing the storyline in hard mode for both characters
    +The OST is possibly the best thing about the game but that isnt saying much
    +Game has decent replay value in terms of content such as playing with higher difficulties and with different costumes

Cons
    -There's no ability to swap primary weapons (Swords)
    -Game is way too easy
    -You can easily kill enemies and bosses with just the basic guns
    -No strategy needed and barely any combos needed to be done to get "Stylish" ranking
    -Some missions are just boss battles or just one area while others are just too long - not balanced at all
    -Some noticeable items from DMC1 is missing such as holy water and replaced with items that are not as useful such as Holy Star (heals poison)
    -Game is way too short even with two and plus one additional playable characters - the length is almost the same as the first game's
    -Puzzles are not well made and some can be just annoying
    -The OST sounds a bit generic
    -The characters' personality and voice acting (specifically Dante's) sound low quality and terrible
    -Some of the visuals and character designs look horrible specifically the enemies - looks worse than the first game's
  7. Mar 14, 2018
    Devil May Cry 2
    A Fall from Greatness
    Devil May Cry 2 is easily the weakest game in the trilogy. Here you can play as either dante and a new character named Lucia Lucias run being basically the easy mode with less bosses and missions and better weapons, her run only taking about 2 and a half hours while dantes campaign takes a little less than 5 hours.. Sadly though Devli May Cry 2
    Devil May Cry 2
    A Fall from Greatness
    Devil May Cry 2 is easily the weakest game in the trilogy.
    Here you can play as either dante and a new character named Lucia
    Sadly though Devli May Cry 2 drains all of the fun the first game had..
    Here theres much less focus on the demon forms and more focus on weapons…
    Youre out trying to stop a demonic business man from taking over the world..
    So that can only mean one things.. a boring and generic city setting.. and that’s exactly what you get.
    The creepy mansion in the first game was perfect.. it was mysterious and exciting.. this city though aside from the final 2 missions is just a bunch of generic gray garbage…
    the only thing that saves this game is the same devil may cry formula of linear hack and slash unlock doors and move on..
    However this time around its even more linear, 0 back tracking at all taking away the adventure bits of the first game..
    You have dante, the same perspective running issues, and the same combat and orb system from the first game, thrown into a boring uninspired world.
    Youre still collecting red orbs for upgrades, blue to increase your health, and yellow for revive..
    However unlike learning new moves with your red orbs, youre now just making the guns and swords more powerful that you find throughout the world…
    And youll need to do that because again the fun is drained from this game, enemies are so spongy and your demon meter fills at a ridiculously slow rate..
    So while Devil May Crys 23 missions flew by, Devil may crys 18 missions go by at a snails pace…
    Combat is just not fun without satisfyingly slashing enemies momentarily and then pulling out some electricity or flames to finish them off..
    It’s a grind..
    The one change I am a fan of though are the different amulet pieces you unlock through the stories campaign.. you get to chose if you want the ability to fly or run fast for example.. you can choose better health regeneration during your transformations or more powerful attacks… building your character around your style of gameplay…
    every other choice though is poor..
    The bosses here are garbage requiring you to basically spam ranged attacks until theyre dead, but they are made worse by this games awful enemy locking system..
    There were so many annoying boss fights where there would be never ending spawns of smaller enemies that dante would lock onto while youre trying to focus on and attack the boss..
    This happened basically all game.. the worst though is during the moments you have to hit orbs to unlock a gate that are constantly cooling off if you dont hit them in succession…
    so many poor decisions made here…
    That’s not to say I regret playing through this game..
    Its still Devil May Cry.. bosses when you elast expect it.. not know where the game is going to take you next.. its just an okay devil may cry..
    I enjoyed my time
    It just feels so lazy and generic.
    I Give Devil May Cry 2
    a 6/10
  8. MattP.
    Apr 13, 2003
    This game just DOES NOT deserve a 10. The camera is terrible, the environments aren't bad but compared to DMC 1 are plain and ugly. It's can be finished in under 5 hours (there are two discs-but there the same game) and dosn't have much replay value. A good rental.
  9. Oct 24, 2012
    Devil May Cry 2 is a pale shadow of the original and stands as the worst entry in the series. The camera is annoying, the targeting system is broken, the enemies are tedious, and there is no real story. The worst part is that the difficulty has been dumbed down to the point where the combat is tedious and boring instead of challenging and exciting. There is the potential for a good gameDevil May Cry 2 is a pale shadow of the original and stands as the worst entry in the series. The camera is annoying, the targeting system is broken, the enemies are tedious, and there is no real story. The worst part is that the difficulty has been dumbed down to the point where the combat is tedious and boring instead of challenging and exciting. There is the potential for a good game here but it's obvious that DMC2 was rushed out the door to cash in on the success of the original. Considering that the original DMC is one of the best action games on the PS2 this game is more of an insult to fans than a sequel. Expand
  10. AdamW.
    Dec 11, 2007
    This game got a seven from me only because of the ability to play as Trish!
  11. Jul 7, 2013
    Devil May Cry 2 is what happens when you take DMC1, and take away the challenging difficulty, the funny one-liners from Dante (they virtually made him mute), and the great characters (Lucia was one of my main problems with this game). But that doesn't mean it's a bad game. The gameplay improved incredibly in this game, and the bosses were enjoyable. Some of the levels were reallyDevil May Cry 2 is what happens when you take DMC1, and take away the challenging difficulty, the funny one-liners from Dante (they virtually made him mute), and the great characters (Lucia was one of my main problems with this game). But that doesn't mean it's a bad game. The gameplay improved incredibly in this game, and the bosses were enjoyable. Some of the levels were really backtracky, but that's fine. If you happen to pick up the DMC HD Collection, I would recommend you play this, despite it being the weakest of the 4. Expand
  12. May 4, 2017
    An improvement on the first - prettier graphics, for one, but if your concern is gameplay, that was also improved from the first DmC. The combat feels smoother, and its hits the perfect balance of being SLIGHTLY less linear than the first game, but doesn't go so open that it doesn't suit the gameplay style. Much preferred it to DmC (although as someone notes, DmC 1's Dante was funnier/hadAn improvement on the first - prettier graphics, for one, but if your concern is gameplay, that was also improved from the first DmC. The combat feels smoother, and its hits the perfect balance of being SLIGHTLY less linear than the first game, but doesn't go so open that it doesn't suit the gameplay style. Much preferred it to DmC (although as someone notes, DmC 1's Dante was funnier/had more wise-cracks. Did miss that a little) Expand
  13. Enthasius
    Mar 30, 2003
    OH dear.....they took the original game, removed the glamour and the sheer awe stricking beauty of the first, and replaced it with some "Wow that look's cool" gimic's, like shooting in two direction's, which isn't as useful as it may sound. In my opinion, they should have just stuck with Dante, and left his abilities as they were from the first. Now, Dante is a OH dear.....they took the original game, removed the glamour and the sheer awe stricking beauty of the first, and replaced it with some "Wow that look's cool" gimic's, like shooting in two direction's, which isn't as useful as it may sound. In my opinion, they should have just stuck with Dante, and left his abilities as they were from the first. Now, Dante is a sluggish guy with pea-shooter sounding magnum's, which have had their flash name's (Ebony and Ivory) cruely removed to make way for "Handgun's" Sure, every sequal must have strong differences, and sure, old must make way for the new....but removing the skill buying system to make way for a poor "Level" system isn't what I consider a new innovation. Lucia, the new addition to the game, is more like Dante in movement, fast, flash, and easier to be cool with compared to Dante's slow, sluggish movement and attack's. At leas tthey kept his stinger, but he now hop's forward and stab's the foe gently, instead fo the super awesome stinger level twop from the first. The level system in this game works like this....You get red orbs, which are either hidden away in mysterious corner's of the environment's like the first game, or dropped by the foe's you slay. Ok, the red ob's dropped by enemies react in the same way as before, with the combo meter thing appearing, though it has been replaced by different words, but that's not important (though "Are you ready?" isn't the sort of thing that strikes me as cool) You spend vast quantities of these red orb's on improving your weapon's. Both your moderatly named sword (Yep, Dante seemed to forget about Alastor, and replaced it with a sword called Rebellion) and what does upgrading it do?? It improves the power....great, what else??........nope, it does nothing extra, just power, the same goes for the gun's. You'd have thought upgrading a sword would also give it more abilities (like round trip while NOT in Devil trigger mode) or enhanced the speed or SOMETHING. Instead, you are given a small selection of different sword's, like Merciless, which is longer, but weakerm though undoubtably cooler looking than Rebellion, with its wavy blade and snake motif. Lucia's game is very similar, but she has throwing knive's which, actually work very well, its quiite cool to launch a barrage of knive's and then moving in for the kill is a cool sensation. In short, I much prefered Lucia over Dante. But what kind of weapon name is "Cranky bomb"?!?!?? I couldn't help but laugh my head off when I say this. Perhaps, I thought, they explode at random interval's, or do something to earn the name "Cranky" but no, they do nthing but explode and tend to be difficult to use. In DMC2's defence, however, it retain's a large scale of the adventure of the first, but instead of a castle island, its a city island, ok, thats alright, new area's a the expence of the gothic look of the first I don't really mind. Granted, the environment's are well done, but I can't help but think that this game is ludicrously short, Lucia has about 12 stage's, and Dante has about 18, and they have seperate disc's. The first game had 20 odd mission's, for one person, on one disk, how come's there are such few stage's on this one?? Who know's, I certainly don't. Another defensive part of DVC is that although some of the bosses are downright annoying (Darn Helecopter, how was I supposed to know that you have to RUN from it??) other bosses are quite flash. There is a undead warrior looking guy with two wolves as his pet's. You spend the first part of it on the defencive, dodging sword and tooth alike, as you whittle down the wolves health until they are defeated, then after doing the same to the other one. After this, its a one on one duel with the warrior himself, in a battle not to unsimilar to those against Nero Angelo in the first. That was flash, I admit that. But a few dramatic fight's and some good graphical and sound effect's leave this incarnation of Dante a bit of an disasterous Inferno, a definite disappointment. Expand
  14. RobertM.
    May 11, 2003
    Not a total disappointment but close. Why do the developers feel they have to take away something kewl to give us something kewl? The human form combos and the devil trigger spin moves of the first game were wonderfull. I like shooting in two directions and running on walls but not if I have to sacrifice my stinger and round trip moves! After I beat DMC2 I was somewhat amazed that it was Not a total disappointment but close. Why do the developers feel they have to take away something kewl to give us something kewl? The human form combos and the devil trigger spin moves of the first game were wonderfull. I like shooting in two directions and running on walls but not if I have to sacrifice my stinger and round trip moves! After I beat DMC2 I was somewhat amazed that it was as short as it was. I like the ruined city streets but I'll take small corridors where I can't really move if it means I get a longer game out of it! All that aside I did have some fun playing the game. The Blood Palace was a challenge at least, unfortunatly it has no end or reward other than Red Orbs. I can still look past all these faults but there is one thing that really frosted me about this game that cannot be forgiven and will make me rent DMC3 instead of buying it to be sure it too does not have the same flaw: Dante's personallity change. How can you take a character as brash and over-the-top, an @zz-kicking straight up trash talker like Dante was in the first game and turn him into such a poser! Dante's character in DMC2 has no personality at all! It's like somebody labotomized, or neutered him or something! So people say don't judge this game based on the 1st one and yeah they are right. Because aside from the main characters of both having the same name there is no similarity. The best thing in the whole game is when you unlock Trish. She's actually the kewlest character to play with. Only drawback is she doesn't get own storyline. All her FMV sequences are either Dante's or Lucia's which is doesn't make any sense but maybe I expect alot. I think the only reason I tried to unlock Trish was in hopes of some new story elements that might be better and I was let down again. And don't get me started on the other supposed extra character, they should have just called it an extra costume like it is. Overall you should rent this game and not buy it like I did. You'll play it for a couple of nights to get all the stuff and then it will collect dust somewhere. Expand
  15. NinjaMafia
    Aug 11, 2003
    This game is pretty disappointing to me. First off, the storyline is the most horrible storyline in a game i have seen. The characters barely talk in the game... but that seems to be a good thing seeing how the voice actors were bad. The environments were massive and pleasing to the eye...for a while. The game starts out in a dark gothic town and I thought that was great...but eventually This game is pretty disappointing to me. First off, the storyline is the most horrible storyline in a game i have seen. The characters barely talk in the game... but that seems to be a good thing seeing how the voice actors were bad. The environments were massive and pleasing to the eye...for a while. The game starts out in a dark gothic town and I thought that was great...but eventually you find yourself in a gigantic city. I know that may sound good but it is pretty useless seeing how you are usually stuck to one road. The gameplay is a mixed bag for me. I like upgrading weapons in Onimusha, but this game really shouldn't have added that feature to knock out the gaining awesome abilities. You can run up walls in this game which made me really happy because I love wall running. However you rarely find a time in the game where you need to run up the walls. All the weapons were basically the same for Dante. The only tough choice is which one looks cool. The guns are a big letdown seeing how you can't fire your pistols fast anymore. But they still are the only guns I use. The game is only about three hours long with some replay value. But the diffuculty was tuned down way too much. Dante Must Die mode was mediocre at best. Oh and the new character Lucia isn't fun to play with...well not as much as Dante. They say she is faster but by the way she dodges and runs up walls, she seems incredibly slow. Hew attacks are weak so you might find a little challenge with her. Her knives are the equivilent to Dante's guns. But they are thrown incredibly slow. Once you beat the game you can play the Bloody Palace which was a great idea to start with but it ultimately failed. Overall, Devil May Cry 2 is fun for a while, but you will see that it can be a big disappointment. Expand
  16. Jun 1, 2015
    Pales in comparison to the original. Hard to put a finger on what it is but it's just nowhere near as fun. The boss fights aren't memorable or difficult like they were in the first, and it doesn't have the closed-in/claustrophobic feel either.
    Story is barely there, and what is there is just random dribble.
    It's still playable, but it's just ok
  17. Sep 28, 2013
    Gran juego. No está a la altura de el original, pero sin duda alguna divierte convirtiéndose en una secuela fiel de "Devil May Cry". A pesar de los giros de la historia se destaca más que nada por las peleas de jefes y gráficos mejorados
  18. Sep 11, 2019
    "Devil May Cry 2" was considered to be a major disappointment by fans of the original game. It's an infamous sequel because it's missing everything that made its predecessor such a beloved classic. This game features a terrible camera, generic environments, bland characters and simplified gameplay. However, it still provides a decent amount of fun. As much as it is a downgrade, I still"Devil May Cry 2" was considered to be a major disappointment by fans of the original game. It's an infamous sequel because it's missing everything that made its predecessor such a beloved classic. This game features a terrible camera, generic environments, bland characters and simplified gameplay. However, it still provides a decent amount of fun. As much as it is a downgrade, I still enjoyed playing through both campaigns. I would rate DMC 2 with a 7 out of 10. Expand
  19. Mar 21, 2019
    The Devil May Cry close-quarter combat is one that brought me in to the series to begin with, but this is lacking in all the wrong places. The push for a more 'open' world is frustrating as most of it feels too, well, open. Not enough enemies fill these open streets, and the weird camera angles that were highlighted in the first are horrendous and annoying at best. Many fights I lost onlyThe Devil May Cry close-quarter combat is one that brought me in to the series to begin with, but this is lacking in all the wrong places. The push for a more 'open' world is frustrating as most of it feels too, well, open. Not enough enemies fill these open streets, and the weird camera angles that were highlighted in the first are horrendous and annoying at best. Many fights I lost only because the camera angle was cutting half of the battle off or had 'hidden' enemies behind the camera. What makes this work is the lock-on feature. Without choosing who to lock on to, I found enemies running off an healing even when I am intentionally trying to stop this as I continuously get locked on to a new enemy. The combination of the auto-lock with no control, the empty openness with horrible camera angles, and stupid boss fights (infected helicopter I'm looking at you) this game is a sad sequel to an amazing game. However, lots of the fights were fun, a little more comedy was brought in that has marked essential in this series, and the graphics are pretty sweet. Solid game, but not a good devil may cry game. Expand

#8 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003
#9 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2003

1. GameNow
    Games this intense are rare, and DMC2's minor flaws are well worth dealing with. [Mar 2003, p.45]
  2. PSM Magazine
    A solid game with plenty of action, but the original set new standards for this genre, and DMC 2 just doesn't match its level of personality or polish. [Mar 2003, p.34]
  3. It's just disappointing to see such an uninspired sequel that simply goes through the motions of being an action game rather than taking advantage of concepts introduced in its predecessor.