8.7

1. Aug 8, 2011
    Pure awesome-ness in game form. Yes, it's slow, and yes, it's frustrating if you die. But these are good things! You're truly afraid to die, you truly feel like an adventurer exploring cursed lands, and the slower combat allows you to think (which you must do to succeed) to beat your enemies and find the plethora of hidden items and secret places.

This game is about exploration, about

This game is about exploration, about probing an ancient horrific land, and about surviving amidst large hords (impressive unit counts and NO load times, great graphics for the time) of depraved enemies. It has a very Lovecraftian vibe.
  2. Mar 11, 2018
    This is not only the definitive entry in the King's Field IP, it's one of the best games on the entire ps2 catalog. As other reviewers have stated, it is indeed a slow game, with a completely and absolutely bleak and depressing atmosphere, akin to that so intensely praised ambiance found in the Souls games (which are, indeed, spiritual successors to King's Field).

And while it has a

And while it has a strikingly similar design ethos to that of the Souls games, it manages to be its own thing, focusing almost solely in the atmosphere and dungeon exploration (while Souls focus stands on the combat).

Definitely, not a game for everybody. And MOST DEFINITELY not a 60/100 game.

King's Field: The Ancient City may be the greatest rpg in the ps2 library, and it's a damn shame that critics and audicence at the time weren't able to understand the genius behind it. An absolute masterpiece and without a doubt a 10/10 in its own niche.
  3. Dec 26, 2016
    I find the game to be oddly charming.The games punishing difficulty makes you think of a strategy of each encounter.The environment looks beautiful for a early PS2 game but its also very dangerous with common encounters with death traps.The enemy AI is a little hit and miss sometimes the enemy can be on the dumb side but that is really my only complaint.If you are looking for a awesomeI find the game to be oddly charming.The games punishing difficulty makes you think of a strategy of each encounter.The environment looks beautiful for a early PS2 game but its also very dangerous with common encounters with death traps.The enemy AI is a little hit and miss sometimes the enemy can be on the dumb side but that is really my only complaint.If you are looking for a awesome experience than get Kings Field: The ancient city....If you can find it,It can be very rare. Expand
  4. Nov 24, 2017
    This is an incredibly good, yet overlooked, series. They have this incredible atmosphere, and feeling of discovery. I would wholeheartedly recommend this game. That is, if you can stomach dying fairly often.
  5. HeadacheBearcub
    Jun 16, 2002
    This game is exactly what I expected from the people at AGETEC. Yes, it is slow. Yes, you will probably die from the most asanine things the first several hours you put into it...YES it's a cool game. I love the series and hope they make another one with a slightly re-vamped gaming engine...that'd rock. Otherwise, I appreciate the visuals (better than morrowind by the way) and This game is exactly what I expected from the people at AGETEC. Yes, it is slow. Yes, you will probably die from the most asanine things the first several hours you put into it...YES it's a cool game. I love the series and hope they make another one with a slightly re-vamped gaming engine...that'd rock. Otherwise, I appreciate the visuals (better than morrowind by the way) and am gonna go play it now... -PFC Neill USMC Expand
  6. JonathanR.
    Jun 2, 2002
    This game is VERY good. I hope the bad reviews this game receive won't stop the making of another King's Field title.
  7. MarkB.
    May 31, 2002
    I was sold on the first US version of King's Field, and this release was one major buying decision in favor of the PS2 over the fiXbox or Cube. That said, this is a dungeon crawl - it's lonely, eerie, and based on discovering your world. If you're an adrenaline junkie, this is not the one. If you like to explore 3D worlds, find hidden things and hack monsters, then rent it I was sold on the first US version of King's Field, and this release was one major buying decision in favor of the PS2 over the fiXbox or Cube. That said, this is a dungeon crawl - it's lonely, eerie, and based on discovering your world. If you're an adrenaline junkie, this is not the one. If you like to explore 3D worlds, find hidden things and hack monsters, then rent it (if you're new) and see if the pace is OK for you. I bought it expecting to like it - and I do! Expand
  8. Jul 12, 2019
    This is one of my favorite games of all time. I was so disappointed when From didn't make anymore King's Fields. I don't understand the poor reviews this game gets. I guess people were looking at it as a high action FPS, which it isn't even remotely (but I guess that explains what forced From to go the Dark Souls route afterwards). This is an exploration horror game all about theThis is one of my favorite games of all time. I was so disappointed when From didn't make anymore King's Fields. I don't understand the poor reviews this game gets. I guess people were looking at it as a high action FPS, which it isn't even remotely (but I guess that explains what forced From to go the Dark Souls route afterwards). This is an exploration horror game all about the atmosphere. The side quests are amazing and dark. I keep wishing From will surprise us with another. Expand
  9. Sep 24, 2019
    Замечательная игра с гнетущей атмосферой, хардкорным геймплеем и превосходной по тем годам графикой, не понимаю рецензоров которые захейтили игру за графен как по мне он вполне на высоте, играл в 2019 так что знаю о чем говорю.Замечательная игра с гнетущей атмосферой, хардкорным геймплеем и превосходной по тем годам графикой, не понимаю рецензоров которые захейтили игру за графен как по мне он вполне на высоте, играл в 2019 так что знаю о чем говорю.
  10. Dec 25, 2019
    This is my favourite game ever. Great atmosphere and gameplay, the graphics actually hold up really well (played on an actual PS2), losing none of the immersion over the years. The soundtrack is simply phenomenal and merits a playthrough just to experience it in action.

If you like atmospheric games, as well as any FromSoftware RPG, do yourself a favour and play this game.

#84 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2002
#21 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2002

Mixed or average reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. Game Informer
    Even with these intriguing traits in place, King's Field: The Ancient City will bore approximately 99.9% of the gamers out there. Primarily because the game is so slow and burdensome. [Apr 2002, p.77]
  2. PSM Magazine
    The action is so slow and the world so depressingly medieval. [Apr 2002]
    With a better laid-out world, more cleverly hidden treasures, and a great sense of nonlinearity, The Ancient City is a nice bit of evolution for the series.