5.8

1. Aug 27, 2015
    Usually I would say it's a waste of money. But since it's a "free" game, I can only say it's a waste of time.
    The multiplayer Co-Op is very chaotic, with no clear distinction if you're up against pros or beginners. I say that especially to new players, the menu and overall layout is very confusing. With no real tutorial to guide you through the process. The so-called 'Campaign' is just a disguise for 8 short challenges, with no gripping storyline. Upgrading your planes or buying new planes is linked with the multiplayer, since it's the only way to earn credits etc if you don't wanna pay for it on the PSN store.
    ANd then you're up against players with their pimped jets who are faster than you, faster missiles and a much higher reach. This makes earning points a real pain in the ass, like bringing a bicycle to a Nascar race. That the publisher's don't host the network to create a balanced system feels like they just thrown out an unfinished product to hyenas. The Multiplayer matches are completely repetitive, with the same layout and same enemy variety.
    Don't bother playing this excuse of a game.
  2. Jun 8, 2014
    This is a game that I feel conflicted about.
    This is a game that I feel conflicted about.
    On one hand the game stays true to its roots, the series feels almost like I'm playing Ace Combat 4 mixed with Ace Combat X. The combat feels fluent and you feel powerful taking down lesser targets. From the last entry I've played, some UI upgrades have been put in, including a small health-bar, with how much damage your next missile will hit for. This is awesome, gives you good feedback. and I love that they've added it.

On the other hand, this feels like a pay-wall. The fuel system honestly feels worse than the energy system from Farmville. This fuel system they put in the game needs to be tweaked. I can overlook that the game is bare bones, and is missing campaign missions, maybe. The pay wall makes me feel like I'm back playing other F2P games, Like MMOs.

I'm also split on them re-using music from the last games. I'm loving the throw backs, but i feel conflicted on how they didn't make new music for the series.

All in all, It feels solid until you hit the pay wall. If you look at where the pay wall is located, it makes sense since there is not a lot of content in this game. Do not ignore that the game is F2P as another review has noted. It is a important part of this games identity, and I feel like in the end it takes away from it
    I have a 6 down, and I hate having to give it a 6, but If i could have given it a 6.5 I would. I can't play it much, and that really detracts from the entire game.
  3. Jan 18, 2015
    I really have a soft spot for the Ace Combat series but this F2P trend is growing worrisome for me. I mean Tekken Revolution's token system where you must wait a half hour for a coin to play seemed a tad excessive. However, with AC you must wait an outrageous four hours for a fuel supply. In which the max fuel supply is a paltry three units that fly by in an instant.

On top of that, the

On top of that, the most insulting part is the campaign in which you must either spend a ridiculous 20 dollars for an unlimited campaign ticket or waste innumerable hours stocking hundreds of thousands of credits to play one campaign mission of eight which go up in price every mission

Ex. Mission #2 200,000 credits, Mission #3 300,000 and so on and so forth...
    It sounds easy enough and relatively obtainable but if you're not a good enough pilot or just beginning, get ready for only a average of 8,000 credits or so with every sortie. Not even taking into account the credits you have to spend to buy parts, planes, or upgrades.

The aircraft tree is a complete joke it takes WAY too long to unlock particular planes and all of which are so drastically under powered compared to special planes that you can buy with actual money or hope for a random drop. It's a wonder why anyone even wants to play Ace Combat Infinity, this game is a supreme example of how spending hundreds of dollars can net the fool who wastes his money some meager sense of superiority with his bought "skills".

Do yourself a favor and AVOID THIS LIKE THE PLAGUE!
  4. Oct 15, 2014
    The franchise has been a great one and the graphics on this one are amazing. I'm glad they even got away from that dogfighting mode(which killed AH), however that's all I can say that is positive about this game.

The whole waiting for fuel to recharge is bogus, so unless you want to wait you have to purchase fuel. That's something cell phone apps do. Also if you want to unlock planes you have to play online because it's quicker to get everything online, which makes the game rather annoying. Then the fact that everything is online, so what about when PS3 isn't online anymore like PS2? Then all that hard work was for nothing. This game could of been amazing had they kept it within it's roots of what made the series what it is today.

With that being said, you should stay far away from this game. I regret the couple of hours I spent playing it.
  5. Nov 13, 2014
    I'll just start off by saying that I've always been a fan of flight sim and fighter jets in general, hence why I've played a few ace combat games. I've played both PSP titles and ac 4 on ps2
    This is different
    This is different
    The combat in this is pretty satisfying, balancing between a boring straight on aim and shoot gameplay and intense head twirling action. I feel that, being a fairly good simulator pilot, the expert difficulty offers very good realism in terms of movement and feel of the aircraft. Except for the irritating 'sharp turns' that switch on every time you decelerate and pitch. These often screw up any tentatives made of getting an accurate aim on enemy aircraft and generally act as an unrealistic and unneeded nuisance that also makes avoiding missiles extremely easy. For the rest controls and gameplay will satisfy most hardcore ace combat gamers as well as newcomers to flight simulators, with an overly easy campaign. Online it is a completely different story. You play in co-op teams against the cpu controlled bandits, which I found much more challenging and fun and amusing. The two modes are tied together with a sound and expansive progression system that explores the arcade part that has always dimly been part of the Ace Combat franchise. By finishing multiplayer missions you unlock parts, emblems and aircrafts through an intricate skill tree that offers progressively better upgrades and aircrafts. These have to be bought using credits which are vastly more abundant when winning multiplayer matches rather than single player, which openly outlines the direction in which the game has been set. There is a pretty large catalogue of aircrafts to unlock, including old legends such as the f-14, current gen. such as the f-22, in development aircraft like the revolutionary T-50 and of course fictional aircrafts with huge mounted lasers on them. All of these also have slight variations that you can acquire as entirely different planes, on top of the variety of paint jobs and upgrades which all help make the bulk of metal you're flying in look and feel awesome and unique. However it is hard not to wonder if this is all rendered useless after giving one look at the price for all this. Now I'm not a hater of free-to-play games. Angry Birds, runescape and warframe are all classified as free-to-play because you can simply download or play them online at 0 cost, while usually being given the option to purchase additional features power-ups and DLCs. Ace-Combat Infinity is NOT free-to-play. It is much more easily a demo for a game that doesn't yet exist. Within purchase (after waiting for 2 hours for the game to download and install I might add) all the game offers you are 2 skeletal campaign missions and 1 online battle. After that if you want to play any sort of remotely amusing (i.e. not tutorial) gameplay you will have to dish out a whopping $1.29 for ONE measly 5 minute mission. Or you could instead invest an incredible $52.49 for 60 missions. These include both multiplayer, which get repetitive and monotonous, and single player, of which there are 8. The price wouldn't be too bad compared to paying $90-$100 or $60 if you live in the U.S for a normal game. However Ace Combat Infinity does not act like a normal full feature game, because it is not. It's replayability becomes dim once all the menus and missions are scrolled through, and unless there is a constant flux of money going into the game, it will let you down. Infinity seems trapped on the fence between realism and arcade, one layout against another, and this rather destroys what could have been an entertaining little title. Instead Namco Bandai uses it as an attempt at using the free-to-play scheme, which unfortunately, hasn't quite turned out right this time. It is a shame because it really feels like this game should've been honored more by its developer, but is instead left as a half polished, money robbing failure, with a mediocre storyline which seemed to have way too much background for what the game offered, and mediocre gameplay which included slight features from previous games, all accessible through confusing menus and text around every corner to hold your hand so close around every corner, even pointing out the smallest features in every page. In the end Ace Combat Infinity is a good game, but with its immense cost for a free-to-play game and underdeveloped campaign and multiplayer missions, anything above half the mark would be absolute charity.
  6. May 15, 2017
    For a series that prides itself in its incredible single player experiences, it's a shame that it's been butchered to make way for a free to play mechanic that limits the player more than anything else, in spite of the game's title.

Long time series fans will adore the nostalgia factor of this game, featuring many elements, including special planes, from previous entries. However, the single player is made of a paltry eight missions that will go by in just over 2 hours if you know how to play, and has none of the fun or glamour of the original series. The story basically amounts to some guy being butthurt that he got fired for something that was his own fault so he decided to start a massive terrorist uprising to take over the world. That's actually it. The point is for the single player campaign to blend into the multiplayer, as after the eighth mission, it sets you up as a mercenary pilot of your own, and the online co-op missions are just missions within the same huge operation that the single player takes place in. Neat idea, but it doesn't quite cut it with how repetitive the multiplayer gets.

Combat in this game consists of spinning around at stall speed, trying to turn harder than your enemy, banking around and around and around for several minutes, or getting hit with missiles that the enemy actually flips around 180 degrees to shoot behind them, because that's how planes work. I have no idea who programmed the AI for this game, but they did the worst job I've seen in any Ace Combat game. This is HAWX levels of boring and tedious. It's not even a challenge, it's just annoying to have all enemies fly at half your stall speed and then suddenly gain an extra 500mph the instant you fire a missile like it's programmed to the circle button.

The player base doesn't help much either. Approximately 100% of people boost in this game by joining into low level lobbies so they can sweep the floor with everyone and artificially inflate their score. This is how tournaments work, as well. Tournaments in Infinity involve flying at your best and getting as much points as you can in order to receive rewards at the end of the tournament. The problem is, as with literally every other system with a number on it, people boost and/or buy fuel and/or hack or whatever they do in order to rack up ludicrous numbers and win top prize. It is actually impossible to get to the good rewards by playing normally. No matter how good you do, even if you score over 100k points and win every single sortie with an S rank, you won't even come close to the really good stuff. Project ACES refuses to fix this.

The multiplayer itself is broken, as well, even besides the player base. Matchmaking doesn't exist, leading to you as a beginner being sortied with people who have been playing for years, and you can't choose teams either, since you're just put in with a random person in the room, usually the lowest level player in the lobby. It's also laggy and you'll get dropped from lobbies because the servers are crap and then you'll be blamed for it failing by being restricted so your available games are limited, and most of the time it results in you being completely restricted from playing the game. It's a completely broken system that makes for a garbage experience since the multiplayer is all the game really has.

The gameplay itself is sound and works very well. Actually controlling your plane feels tight and responsive, and it's easy to perform all the tricks at your disposal in combat. The lock-on camera actually works again, unlike Assault Horizon, and the camera isn't trying to motorboat the plane's nozzle like it was then as well. Just flying in this game feels good, and unlike HAWX where it feels like you're going 50 mph even when the speedometer says you're at mach 2, this game makes you feel fast, with the wind speeding by around you, really letting you feel the power of the machine you're piloting.

Graphically, the game is astounding. All the stops were pulled with the aircraft models, with every single detail of every plane being on display. You can see the mechanics of a plane at work when you fly them, from the control surfaces to the engine nozzles to smaller details such as moving intake ramps and even spinning turbines. The series has always prided itself on making the planes look good, and every mechanic a plane has to offer is on display. The fictional aircraft this game boasts also looks damn impressive, with some space-age and sharp-looking plane designs from past games making returns after many years.

Overall, I can't say I'd recommend this game to anyone, especially to long time fans. The game just has way too many issues in comparison to it's good points. With a garbage multiplayer, a non-existent single player, and a trash player base, there's almost nothing I can say to make the game appealing. It's all a waste of time.
  7. Jul 22, 2014
    I love Ace Combat. So much. But this...

This is why free-to-play is bad for the customer. Picture this: You sit down to play the game, and fifteen minutes later (three five-minute missions), the game informs you that you're out of fuel. You can either wait *four hours* before you can fly *one* more mission or you can buy more fuel at *one dollar per unit of fuel*. So either 4h
    I love Ace Combat. So much. But this...

This is why free-to-play is bad for the customer.

Picture this: You sit down to play the game, and fifteen minutes later (three five-minute missions), the game informs you that you're out of fuel. You can either wait *four hours* before you can fly *one* more mission or you can buy more fuel at *one dollar per unit of fuel*. So either 4h for 5m, or $1 for 5m. Doesn't matter which you pick, that adds up fast.

And you can't wait until Saturday and binge, because you can only hold three units of supplied fuel.

Fuel's not the only barrier to entry, either. The lobby system isn't automated, which means that even once you manage to get into a full room, the lobby is in limbo because it let someone who doesn't have fuel (and thus can't play) join. If they don't realize this on their own and leave, you have to wait out a countdown before it kicks them out. But even if everybody has fuel, the game will sit at the lobby screen forever unless the host sets their status as 'ready'. Even if the other seven players are all ready, the game will not begin until the host (who may have walked away) says it's okay.

So you've finally spent either time or money just for the privilege of playing the game, and patience has seen you through the lobby system. Welcome to Ace Combat! All four missions of it. Seriously. There is a tiny bit of variety, as each mission has a randomized "emergency" objective halfway through, but even those are limited, and you'll have seen every combination distressingly quickly. I would almost expect more content in a demo. Seriously. Four missions.

Oh, but there's a campaign mode with more missions! That you still have to use fuel for. That are actually just tutorials. That's right, you have to pay or wait to play the tutorial.

But at least it's not pay-to-win, right? Well...

True, you can't just buy better planes. BUT, there exist planes that they release as "special drops", and you are far, far more likely to receive them if you're playing more than three missions every twelve hours. Which means you're far, far more likely to receive them if you're buying fuel. So you can basically buy these special planes. And these special planes? Indisputably superior to even the end-game content.

I love Ace Combat, but I would never recommend this entry.
  8. Jun 27, 2014
    This game is such a disappointment. First of all the fuel system is BS and everybody keeps stealing kills. Not to mention how crappy the wifi is. Not to mention the limited time events that forces pretty much the majority of gamers to play the game. And when you start off, it's so ridiculously hard to get high scores since others have high spec aircraft already! It's a pay to win game whatThis game is such a disappointment. First of all the fuel system is BS and everybody keeps stealing kills. Not to mention how crappy the wifi is. Not to mention the limited time events that forces pretty much the majority of gamers to play the game. And when you start off, it's so ridiculously hard to get high scores since others have high spec aircraft already! It's a pay to win game what a joke. Also don't get me started on how little research progress they give you on almost every single parts and special weapon. And when you run out of Stocked and Sortie fuel you have to wait for 5 HOURS or so just to replenish only 3 frickin sortie fuel! I'd rather buy the game for 60$ rather than pay for stocked fuel everytime! What a complete disappointment.. Expand
  9. Jun 16, 2014
    It's free, for the most part. You can get really far without paying a dime if you want. But a quick tip, buy the Unlimited Campaign Play ($19.99) so you don't have to pay in-game credits to play the single player online campaign. Then play through Mission 5 and you'll be rewarded with 20 free units of fuel. Do the challenges as well, great source for free fuel.

Positives: The combat is

Positives: The combat is superb. It had been a while since I had played an Ace Combat game, so I wasn't sure of what to expect. The graphics are pretty good to be on a last gen console (PS3). I love the aircraft tree, really gives you a sense of accomplishment once you unlock something. You get skins, equipment and special weapons.

Negatives: Fuel System. Pretty much anywhere you look online, the same thing is repeated, the only negative is the fuel system. You get 1 unit of fuel every 4hrs, and can only get up to 3 supplied units of fuel (after 12hrs obviously). You can purchase additional units of "stocked" fuel, but the prices aren't very encouraging. I purchased the Rookie and Elite packs, which include a good bit of stocked fuel that you can use in online co-op missions.

I would have suggested 5 units of supplied fuel every 2hrs. And I would have suggested making the item you purchase with real money be in-game credits that you could use towards upgrading your planes or special weapons or equipment. Some argue that this is a play-2-win model, but I personally think it's a much better model to utilize in a game like this than the one they currently have.

All in all, it's a very fun game that I've come to really love. But I'm not sure if my wallet loves it. It's really an 8.5 rating for me, but leaning more towards the 9, so I gave it a 9 instead of the 8 since Metacritic won't let you do 8.5.
  10. Jun 5, 2014
    With too few levels and days of grinding just to unlock a few parts in single player and fuel taking hours to restore, this game is an absolute insult the the Ace Combat genre. The same levels and objectives online quickly get boring and if you sit down and want to play the campaign for an extended amount of time, you'll find yourself rapidly running out of fuel. This isn't okay Namco Bandai.
  11. Jun 3, 2014
    Good Things:
    - It's free!
    - Tension in the battlefield
    - Real mobility and AI
    - The opportunity to climb the tree of planes gives a nice touch to on-line

Bad Things:
    - Delay in the junction of the rooms
    - PvP system is needed to
    - Few stages
    - The AP (fuel) is very slow to be restored (2 hours and more) and only three rechargeable
  12. Jun 14, 2014
    I gave this game a 3 out of 10 for several reasons.

I gave this game a 3 out of 10 for several reasons.

1) I won't lie I'm a little bias. Having played the Ace Combat since the very beginning, I was very upset when it switched to Bandai, and they utterly destroyed the series. This was a big step in the right direction, bringing it back to the PlayStation, and with old school play style, or partially anyway. However, the free to play and limited play time is a huge backward step, and the fact they could have easily made this a legit full scale Ace Combat, but copped out to a half assed version.

2) Co-op is a huge head ache if you want to play with friends. There is no pre lobby to make a group with friends, and trying to get into a room, invite a friend, and hoping they get in before it fills can be a nightmare. Often times when they do get in, the game lobby will close.

3) They did alot of good idea's in the game, working up a tech tree which revolves around the story was great, again making me actually down vote the game, due to the fact they placed it in a Free to play version of the game where you're limited on play time.

4) Campaign which you're limited on play time unless you buy it for $19.99, I'd be ok with this, if it wasn't for the fact that the campaign is literally only 8 short missions....
  13. Jul 21, 2014
    Este juego es un desastre. Bueno, que podía esperar de un F2P?...
    Este juego es un desastre. Bueno, que podía esperar de un F2P?...
    Gráficamente cumple, aunque los escenarios son mas planos que la suela de un zapato, los aviones y la iluminación son correctos. Pero el juego es un laberinto de menús, los cuales ya da pereza el simple hecho de leerlos. Todo es demasiado enrevesado y simple a la vez, la campaña es pobre, unas cuantas misiones de acabar con aviones, objetos y poco mas. Las misiones coop. son frustrantes, no entendía ni que estaba haciendo. Tras jugarlo un poco lo borré, tres gigas para esto era un desperdicio.
  14. Feb 26, 2015
    Time = money... no matter how you look at it! Either pay up front to get the obviously important fuel... or become a slave to the clock (allowing for as much as three units of fuel), only to be held hostage in the co-op lobby for an infinite amount of time for the other pilots to align with your own desire to actually play the mission. Ultimately, the free to play concept has completelyTime = money... no matter how you look at it! Either pay up front to get the obviously important fuel... or become a slave to the clock (allowing for as much as three units of fuel), only to be held hostage in the co-op lobby for an infinite amount of time for the other pilots to align with your own desire to actually play the mission. Ultimately, the free to play concept has completely evaded the developers at NamcoBandai, as there just cant be a good excuse for the ratio of time/money vs. actual play time. Not to mention how discouraging it is to be newly introduced to the previously great Ace Combat franchise only to be outgunned by other players so much so that the fun is sucked right out of it by the black hole called time or the emptiness of one's wallet. Either way, this game is a waste of time from the moment you begin the download. Free to play? Yeah, I gotta call B.S. on that one!!!! A reluctant score of 6... mostly out of misplaced loyalty to previous titles in the franchise, but history and fond memories should count for something, even after running out of fuel, time, and money! Expand
  15. Jun 4, 2014
    Right off the bat, try and stave off any dread that is attached to the F2P tag. This is not the cash-grab load time hellscape that Soul Caliber: Lost Swords tried to pass off. This is the ace combat you know and love with a surprisingly welcoming F2P element. Your best bet is to buy the full campaign at $20, learn the ropes and work toward completing challenges to build up your fuel forRight off the bat, try and stave off any dread that is attached to the F2P tag. This is not the cash-grab load time hellscape that Soul Caliber: Lost Swords tried to pass off. This is the ace combat you know and love with a surprisingly welcoming F2P element. Your best bet is to buy the full campaign at $20, learn the ropes and work toward completing challenges to build up your fuel for online games. Considering that this game is free to download, and the Fuel element is well balanced...I would consider it quite a bargain, at least here in the games beginning stages.

Namco has created a surprisingly compelling take on the F2P system with Ace Combat Infinity, one can imagine this game being treated an episodic series, similar to the Walking Dead / Wolf Among Us...just with more of a focus on multiplayer.
  16. Jul 7, 2014
    I'll be scoring based on this criteria, gameplay, visual/audio, stability, replayability.

Gameplay: 7/10 If you hate ASSault Horizon, then be happy because that Dogcrap Fight Mode BS is gone. Infinity goes back to the classic Ace Combat gameplay from the PlayStation 1 and 2 days. Good balance between being a sim style and arcade style. You also have the option to customize your

Gameplay: 7/10

You also have the option to customize your fighter, you can customize the engines, the weapons, and the electronic systems. If you've played any of the PSP Ace Combat games, it is similar to that. Which is really nice, I've MVP'ed a couple games with heavily upgraded F-4E starter plane.

But being free to play there is this fuel system. It's annoying having your play session limited, but there are challenges to complete that gets you more fuel without having to pay money. Still, there should have been a cap where unlimited play is unlocked when you spend the equivalent amount of money to a digital download game.

The singly player campaign isn't fully unlocked, you have to spend a lot of in game money to "buy" the third level and onward. Or you could spend actual money ($20 USD) to fully unlock the campaign.

Mulitplayer lacks a PvP mode, but I could see why they didn't include it. This way they don't have to worry about balancing all the planes against each other. Done this way they can include broken and overpowered planes like Pixy's Morgan that would ruin balance in a PvP mode. Instead of killing each other, multiplayer is more a race to reach the highest score. Expect to have kills stolen from you. I've had more than one instance of an **** following me just to let me do all the work and then take the killing shot.

Matchmaking in this game also sucks. You'll try to join a room that says there's room for one or two more only to get a "This room is full" message. Really gets annoying when you want to get into a room with a specific criteria (I prefer rooms with 4 bots, less human players to compete against and be stealing your kills).

So three points knocked off for those.

Stability: 9/10
    I haven't really run into any real game breaking bugs or crashes. I have been kicked out of rooms and seen people get kicked out of games. But that might be less about the game itself and more with individual internet connections.

Though all the functionality seems to work the way they're supposed to and nothing seems broken.

Visuals/Audio: 10/10
    The visuals are on the level of ASSault Horizon. Planes disintegrating in mid-air and all that, they're in there. Audio is crisp and clear, dialog comes in loud and clear. The only visual bug that I notice recurring is one regrading the modeling of your aircraft in the menu, you might see distortions in the potions where an emblem would be if you opted not to have an emblem appear there.

Replayability: 7/10
    While the emergency missions are random, ranging from blowing up the Sinfaxi to shooing down in coming meteorites, there are only four missions, five if you include the "boss" mission against Aigiaon and it's support craft. The missions are also pretty short, only about 6 or so minutes so after awhile the game starts to get old and boring after the same five missions over and over.

The game also has a tech tree for aircraft and weapons, that help to keep you playing, but once you get the planes you really want, then again it just starts to get boring again.

On the bright side this isn't a problem that can't be fixed with DLC, but for now I'll score it at 7/10.

Overall: 33/40
    Not a bad game and for free to play I'm actually rather impressed. Has it's short comings but hey, you don't need to pay any money for it. I got this game on day one and have yet to drop a penny on it.

Overall this game gets an 8.
  17. Sep 7, 2014
    Considering the price tag (0.00€), this game is certainly worth it's value.
    There's a very good aircraft tree and the coöp missions are very fun to play. Emergency missions add variety. Solo campaign is unfortunately less inspired, but you'll be spending most time online in coöp anyway.
    Considering the price tag (0.00€), this game is certainly worth it's value.
    You can really get far without paying anything, as long as you do some of the challenges and not intend to play it more than 1 hour per day.
  18. Sep 7, 2014
    Whle it did took a few weeks of this game to become truly enjoyable, the wait was definitely worth it. For anyone who was hooked to previous Ace Combat games and for those who hated Assault Horizon, this is a game definitely worth a try.
  19. Jun 6, 2014
    rememberme so much to ace combat 2 for playtation have he same atmosphere and is awesome and its free! if you wnt you dont pay you only have to be patience
  20. Jun 4, 2014
    I haven't played other Ace Combat titles, but this is what I've ever expected from a Dogfight game. I've played all kinds of simulators, ever since Strike Commander flying in a 486-era PC, through PC Flight Simulator, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, and Secret Weapons over Normandy, some Descent Freespace, and this title blows them out of orbit.

Controls are deceptively simple.

Controls are deceptively simple. Gameplay is fast and smooth; missiles and guns, despite the fact that you can carry unrealistic amounts, reflect what you expect of their real-life counterparts. The campaign part is actually challenging to master, and the fact it is free is sweeet.

Which brings us to the dark side: since it is free, the fuel recharge (fuel sortie) takes too damn long to recharge; after the first 3 or 4 planes it takes forever to unlock, research and buy the others. All of the downsides can be solved by throwing money at them, which feels like Bandai Namco is operating a coin-op arcade at your home. They know it, because it is their background. I was expecting just to buy the game for some sensible price, 60 bucks or whatever, so I just bought that amount in fuel and upgrades, which means now the campaign (solo part) is fuel-free to fly. Even being free, the amount of money each mission rewards is pathetic comparing to the online, blow-your-fuel part of the game and playing solo won't help research any part of the aircraft tree. The reverse is fine, which means unlocked planes can be played on the solo missions. The last one is particularly hard and even the rental plane is inadequate to beat it, requiring your utmost abilities to achieve it.

Few stages is a mixed blessing, which means you can memorize the emergency missions on each of them, but it could get boring quickly if you like new scenery every now and then. I like it, it helps my fellow dogfighters to improve their game, and perhaps we can achieve a S rank together. The fact it has no PVP will help a lot for you to make friends, since everybody has a common goal all the time.

Excellent game overall, but you should throw some money at it to at least unlock the fuel for the campaign forever and get some practice.
  21. Jun 15, 2014
    Following the disaster that was Assault Horizon, Infinity is definitely the right direction that Bandai-Namco needed to go.
    This game is everything an Ace Combat game should be:
    - Silent Protagonist - Ridiculously giant superweapons - No Dogfight mode (I cannot stress this one enough) - A well-crafted story that contains numerous references to past games in the series - Great
    This game is everything an Ace Combat game should be:
    - Silent Protagonist
    - Ridiculously giant superweapons
    - No Dogfight mode (I cannot stress this one enough)
    - Great soundtrack that uses some of the best OSTs from the series.

The Sortie Fuel System isn't perfect, but it is a lot better than many feared. Project Aces has added a challenge system to award players with fuel, many for relatively simple tasks (such as 20 fuel for completing the Campaign's 5th mission). My only criticism of the Fuel System is that the wait time is a bit too long. I think it should be shortened to at most 2 hours.

Both the Campaign and Online are fun and exciting. High-value enemies in particular are much more difficult to defeat than previous games, making the fight all the better. While the player isn’t fighting the other team directly, there is very stiff competition to see who can get the higher score. Be prepared to rage a few times when you have a kill stolen.
    More missions are planned to be added later as well as a PvP mode.

The only purchase I urge you to make is the $20 'Unlimited Campaign Ticket'. It allows you to play the Campaign up to and including Mission 8 without using fuel or credits. I think it is a fair bargain, and this way, if you've decided to not spend money on fuel and have run out, you can play around in the Campaign while waiting for a resupply.

Overall, I think this game does the series justice. I encourage all fans of the series to support the game to ensure that we get more Ace Combat games on the newer consoles and maybe, just maybe, a return to Strangereal.
  22. Jun 16, 2014
    I've been a fan of Ace Combat for 10 years, and when I heard the announcement of Infinity, I got super excited. But when I heard it was also F2P, I got worried. More so because of the fuel system they proposed. Now that it's out, I gave it a spin; after all it's free. It was much better than I thought it would be. The fuel system is not that bad. Here a little explaination: you have twoI've been a fan of Ace Combat for 10 years, and when I heard the announcement of Infinity, I got super excited. But when I heard it was also F2P, I got worried. More so because of the fuel system they proposed. Now that it's out, I gave it a spin; after all it's free. It was much better than I thought it would be. The fuel system is not that bad. Here a little explaination: you have two types of fuel: Supplied and Stocked. Supplied is the fuel given to you periodically. One unit is supplied every 4 hours. You can hold up to a max of 3 units. Stocked has no limits. You can store as much Stocked as you want. This is the fuel you get from purchases or by doing challenges. There's really no shortage of challenges, and should you nearly exhaust your challenges, there's one that can be completed every 24 hours. Now on the game itself. This is the AC game we know and love. No more Dogfight mode. Just the classic AC style of gameplay. The game is focused on online co-op, with 6 missions right now, but they'll release more soon. I love the emergency missions because this makes sure that every time you play a mission, it will never be the same as the last. There's a campaign mode too, but it's only 5 missions, and they'll add at least 3 more. You should buy the unlimited campaign ticket for $20, which will also give you 20 supplied fuel units. Alternatively, you can save up in-game credits to buy missions, but it can be tedious. Try this game. You have nothing to lose. It's free. You'll have fun. Expand
  23. Sep 2, 2014
    With the legends of another world by my side, with names like "Blaze", "Chopper", "Mobius One", and "Yellow 13", I stand and remember days passed, when there was glory and meaning to fighting in the skies. I stand and weep.
  24. Jun 25, 2014
    Just like the other games in the series, Ace Combat Infinity embraces a very good control system, decent amounts of challenge and good feedback, with decent graphics, optimal multiplayer experience and good overall gameplay.
    With 29 controllable aircraft, the player can become a dogfighter, a jack-of-all-trades or a specialized anti-ground pilot, and can do this in an acceptable amount of time. The missions are good and the campaign, while short because a lot must still be implemented, is exciting, and both are challenging enough to be fun, thanks also to the good AI.
    The main difference from Assault Horizon, in terms of gameplay, is the lack of a previously important mechanic: CRA (Close Range Assault). It was a bit an action breaker, because the game did all the maneuvering by just pressing a button, and the player just had to press buttons only to fire. Infinity removed this feature and returned to the saga's standard gameplay, and the game came in a very appealing F2P form.
    The only things that keep me from giving me 10 to the game are:
    1. The sortie fuel mechanic, that limits the player to 3 sorties before having to use the stocked fuel, available only through in game payment or challenges (that, however, give very few units).
    2. How short (5 minutes) the missions are: while it makes the player do more missions, the time is too short to really enjoy a mission, and the fact that there are only 8 there doesn't help.
    In short: a very good and appealing game, only lacking in some parts that will be likely added to the game.
  25. Dec 27, 2014
    I love the familiar feeling from the older games like Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies. They even have remixed versions of the old songs, Stonehenge returning, the big battle at the aerospace defense center etc. I also like the aircraft and the amount of upgrades you can do etc. Those are the only good points.

The bad points? The frequent connection issues is a pain. I have never played a

The bad points? The frequent connection issues is a pain. I have never played a game with online multiplayer with this much connection problems. A room always seems to full up the second you select it, when you finally enter a room, BOOM! "Connection with host was lost". If you make it to sortie and select your aircraft the countdown begins, hits zero and you are in the loading screen. Then, BOOM! Connection with host was lost. If your lucky enough you'll make it passed all that into an actual game. You start racking up some kills and having fun. Then. Suddenly. BOOM! "Connection with host was lost". The few kills you racked up and the start all go out the window. If you make it passed all that you'll make it near the end of the game. You racked up a lot of kills, your team is in the lead etc. Seconds, and Iiterally mean SECONDS before the game ends before you can collect your prize money and rewards, guess what happens? You guessed it! BOOM! Connection with host was lost. It doesn't matter on your actual internet connection, doesn't matter if you pick the games with the best connection quality etc. I literally kept stats of how often the game loses connections with every attempt to join a game and it has a %79 chance of losing connection. You won't have any connection issues if you create your own room though. I've played many games that never had connection problems unless I actually plugged my internet connection out so this game is very faulty.

Another problem is the awful fuel system. I know it's free to play, but please....Waiting 9 hours to play another 3 games??????

Another thing that is awful is the campaign. The campaign itself isn't bad. It's the fact YOU HAVE TO SPEND FUEL. Also to get to other missions you have to choose between using your hard earned credits to either upgrade your aircraft or spend it to unlock another campaign mission. My advice is to spend it on the upgrades on the aircraft because the campaign is a waste of time unless you have all the upgrades and every aircraft and want something to do. You don't get any reward for beating the campaign missions besides 500 credits versus the 400,000 credits you spent to play the one mission that you could have used to upgrade your F22 Raptor or buy a F35.

In conclusion, I like this game overall. My tips are to create your own games to avoid connection problems, do not use any credits to play a story mode mission because you will be disappointed and take advantage of the challenges so you can get some extra stocked fuel. But, I can't complain about getting a free game though.
  26. Aug 9, 2016
    Pay2Win версия некогда великой серии аркадных леталок. Скудная и короткая кампания ниочем, где для открытия новых миссий (всего их 8) нужно раскошелится на суму с 5-ю нулями за каждую. Не хочешь тратить 600к кредитов на новый огрызок сюжета и 10 минут геймплея? Заплати косарь реальных денег.
    Всего бы ничего но на вылет нужен бензин (изначально у тебя 6 баков = 6 вылетов без разницы в кампании или в мультиплеере). После чего жди три часа на наполнение. Не хочешь ждать? Заплати косарь. Но не это самое печальное.
    Самое печальное, в игре напрочь отсутствует баланс. Деньги и бензин можно нафармить за выполнение боевых заданий в PvP и coop-PvE миссиях. Но когда вас бросает в лобби к пилотам >9000 уровня (а вас бросит к ним всегда) с лазерным оружием и ядерными ракетами, и после тотального отсоса вы смотрите на статистику после боя и вам не дают ровным счетом ничего, играть дальше желание отпадает. А не хочешь отсасивать? Заплати косарь.
    Нет, конечно в игре есть всякие бонусы типа за ежедневное посещение, и вы спустя месяц откроете все сюжетные миссии и может вам улыбнется удача и вам дадут сбить один вражеский самолет в PvE... Но какой смысл? Игра никак не развивается и единственные что вы добьетесь, это возможность нагибать и унижать новичков которые чисто случайно установили и зашли в это говно.
    Итого:
    Бесполезная трата времени. Особенно сейчас, спустя джва года, так как в полумертвые лобби заглядывают только самые отмороженные задроты.
  27. Jun 30, 2015
    The gameplay and controls to Ace Combat Infinity were great. The real problem were the microtransactions that prevented you from playing through a 2-3 hour long single player campaign for free. You have two options: A. Pay $20 for a really short campaign, or B. Play hundreds of hours in the multiplayer (while only being able to play a few matches a day) to unlock a really short campaign.The gameplay and controls to Ace Combat Infinity were great. The real problem were the microtransactions that prevented you from playing through a 2-3 hour long single player campaign for free. You have two options: A. Pay $20 for a really short campaign, or B. Play hundreds of hours in the multiplayer (while only being able to play a few matches a day) to unlock a really short campaign. Either way, it's unacceptable. Expand
  28. Nov 28, 2014
    I played ace combat since its inception and expect more of infinity ! ace combat think this is just a business where you have to buy the game , you have to buy gas , you have to buy passes elite and passes for plant improvements . This ace combat is the baddest who have created ! ahhh and not to mention how slow is the campaign !! take a mission every 3 or 4 months !!
  29. Mar 1, 2015
    I have followed the Ace Combat series since Ace Combat 2 and am a huuuuge fan of the series. After the PS2 games, I felt that AC6 was a bit lacking in atmosphere, while Assault Horizon was a huge disappointment altogether. That said, the announcement of Ace Combat Infinity was very welcome and I was extremely excited to be able to spread my wings again, with actual wingmen this time!I have followed the Ace Combat series since Ace Combat 2 and am a huuuuge fan of the series. After the PS2 games, I felt that AC6 was a bit lacking in atmosphere, while Assault Horizon was a huge disappointment altogether. That said, the announcement of Ace Combat Infinity was very welcome and I was extremely excited to be able to spread my wings again, with actual wingmen this time!
    Gameplay wise, AC Inifinity offers everything an Ace Combat veteran could ever hope for. It has pretty much all the mechanics of AC6 while getting rid of the maneuvers from Assault Horizon which is a good thing in my book. Stock planes are plentiful and there are hardly times where an event is NOT on.

The game is Free-to-Play, so you are not able to play indefinitely without a limitation. The game as a fuel system. There is supplied fuel and stocked fuel. Stocked Fuel can be gathered without limitation and is being given as a Mission drop, a Challenge reward or can be bought from the store for real money. Supplied Fuel can be stored for up to 3 units and are given 1 at a time free of charge every 4 hours. This means you can play 6 missions with just supplied fuel every day - provided you play every twelve hours.

This is quite a heavy limitation and is - understandably - also the main reason why this game gets a lot of heat. It is also the reason why this game cannot actually be played on its own as 3 missions every 12 hours does not offer that much playing time. However, Stocked Fuel doesn't drop as rarely as you may think and the challenges for stocked fuel will net you at least 10 Stocked Fuel per week for free provided you make use of all your supplied fuels. Still, Ace Combat Infinity remains a game that you play 'by the way'. And to get to the better planes it takes a bit of patience. Infinity is more of a marathon than a sprint. Once you get there though, it is extremely rewarding and satisfying. Upside of the whole matter is, you will hardly burn out of Ace Combat Infinity :P

Fans of the series will recognize some of the past rewards being planes or emblems of protagonist or opposing squadrons, almost all of which were ranking rewards in past tournaments - so they are unavailable at this point in time. Time will tell whether they will be available in the future through a repetition of said tournaments or through Special Supply tickets which you get for completing challenges or through Mission rewards. Getting tournament rewards without paying for fuel is something I consider not possible though. Since they are hard to come by, it is a pretty nice sight to see Cipher's F-15C or the Razgriz F-14 etc etc.

There is also a problem for new people getting into the game - starting out with your F-4 to play against someone with a Raptor, Rafale etc is not really fun. The game's matchmaking could do with some (unlikely) improvements on that part. Catching up to veteran players is also a thing that is hard to accomplish. Still, If you manage to get a half decent plane (in my humble opinion, rookies should get the Gripen C) it is possible to keep up with high tier planes.

All in all, Ace Combat Infinity is a game that I love to play. Competing against fellow players is actually fun in this game due to its co-op nature and the constantly updated content is always offering new exciting stuff for the game. But I can certainly understand if people have problems with its obvious flaws.
  30. Oct 30, 2017
    Una perdida total de tiempo descargarte este juego. Poner gratis este juego es casi como un insulto a los jugadores: "Miren este pedazo de mierda, tenganlo gratis"
  31. Aug 27, 2017
    Ace Combat infinity is a nostalgia train for fans of the original series and is more of a full game then an online only fps. Ace Combat Infinity shines with it's impressive gameplay settings which stay true to the classical Ace Combat formula vs Assault Horizon's frantic DFM. Ace Combat Infinity also features classical music like from Ace Combat 4 and 5 and also allows the player to play aAce Combat infinity is a nostalgia train for fans of the original series and is more of a full game then an online only fps. Ace Combat Infinity shines with it's impressive gameplay settings which stay true to the classical Ace Combat formula vs Assault Horizon's frantic DFM. Ace Combat Infinity also features classical music like from Ace Combat 4 and 5 and also allows the player to play a co-operative match with their friends against AI which can be an exciting time. ACI also awards players based on skill level and performance in matches the more kills the player gets and the less they are downed that will equate to how much cash they will receive but they may also get rare or exclusive content from supply drops that can be as linear as a new emblem to as valuable as a new aircraft. Also another thing I appreciate that most people would hate is how you actually have to pay to unlock the campaign with a select number of credits or unlock it all for a $19.99 pass. Why do I like this? Because, it actually motivated the player to accumulate credits in order to progress in the campaign and find out what happens in the story instead of just being there from ther start. This can also be a rewarding experience when you finally have enough credits to unlock that mission. The reward system is actually pretty awarding special events will lead to more rewards and prices aren't too critical. I remember once I didn't know how much special currency i acquired only for playing for two months and at average skill level I actually had enough to unlock a superpowered laser jet which i did and used with no restrictions. The sortie system is decent as fuel will replenish with time and certain supply drops will grant more fuel I remember I had once accumulated 6 fuel in a single playthrough! The game also feels like a gift to anxious Ace Combat players on Playstation who did not receive AC6 and only had ACAH on PS3 leaving the game to feel more free-to-play then pay-to win. Although match length might be a little short and lag and sometimes unbalanced fighters are put up against you this really is a good Ace Combat game that feels like the originals. I am excited and currently waiting for Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown but this is will fill the wait void then Ace Combat Assault Horizon which will never fill it. Expand
  32. Jul 25, 2018
    rejugado hace poco con el cierre de los servidores

una lástima el f2p, porque todo queda relegado a eso, con una campaña entrecortada y un online roto en el que más paga lleva ventaja

la banda sonora y la jugabilidad es exquisita como siempre
    deja con muchas ganas de que sacasen un recopilatorio HD de AC4 y AC5
  33. Oct 1, 2016
    So I have played Ace Combat Infinity for over 2 years now and have over 9000 sorties (missions). I buy the 50 fuel packs + 10 free (for 60) when on sale for $35.99. I probably spend about $150/month on fuel and contracts.

That said, I am mostly a pure Fighter gamer. about 60% fighter, 25% multirole, and %15% attacker. What I have noticed is that the game is biased toward the

What I have noticed is that the game is biased toward the Attacker. What I mean by that is that it is a lot easier to get to 100,000 points in some missions using an attacker instead of a fighter. I have played against friends where I use a Level 20, 42 slot special fighter maxed out with Cst of 2400 - 2600+. The "ground pounder" can still beat me (and most others) with a plane 5-10 levels lower.

I think the main reason is plain and simple - ground targets DON'T EVADE 4AGMs, SFFS, SODs or regular missiles like Fighters so, etc. It takes a lot of skill and practice (and knowing the map and patterns) to chase RED planes and waste a lot of ammo (MISS, MISS, MISS), while maybe picking off a few 500 - 800 point ground targets with A-A missiles as I pass by.

Meanwhile, the attacker can "fire and forget" with most ground targets and go after the RED targets, knowing they are almost guaranteed a sure kill. In addition, in a lot of missions, there are large clumps of medium and high value targets where one SOD or SFFS run can result in thousands of points. I may have to chase an F22 or F35, etc. for 15-30 sec to get the 2500+ points it offers, wasting a lot of time. And while the ground pounders are using their "special weapon" for ground to get sure kills, they can work on taking out some plane with their A-A. The utilization of ground weapons has to be near 90%, yet for the various A-A I would say that number is around 35-50%. Simply put, fighters have to waste time chasing targets, attackers don't. Thus the imbalance.

I have only been able to get my MR up to 2100 - 2150 playing strickly AIR (and either 4 players or Hard missions) while the ground pounders are working on 2300, 2400, up to 2700+ I've seen. The reason they can raise their MR so high is that they mostly use the same high level attacker (A-10, Su-34, now FB-22 and F-14B) to crush everyone else to keep winning the match, finishing first (getting MVP) and scoring more than the highest player on the other team. Whenever I drop back close to 2000 when doing TDM, I do some Avalon Dam and get my 100K+ to build my MR up fast. I could keep doing this if it was just the MR I cared about, but that is not the point. I want to fly the FIGHTERS, but I feel relegated to a ground support role to help get the "S" while the attackers almost always get the MVP (if they are good). I know I am a good fighter pilot and that ground is over weighted because I can still beat most of the high MRs in B7R. I can hold my own on the ground, it just isn't as much fun for me.

Now, as some friends have said to me, "A high MR doesn't get you anything". That is true, but it is an indication now of what type of player they are. It isn't necessarily bad, but when I've played in high MR rooms, they usually swoop around going for the high value targets, leaving the low and in some cases, when the small targets don't get mopped up, you can't get the "S" rank for the mission, That is frustrating.

I know it is too late now, but NAMCO needs to either lower the amount of points for the ground targets and/or lessen the power of the weapons to adjust this imbalance. A good level fighter with level 20 loaded special planes should be able to get about the same amount of points as a loaded level 20 attacker. Their Air-to-air should be weaker or less accurate. However, all have the same, so they are even, that is why the attacker weapons should be weakened more. I play in 1500 rooms where attackers can still get over 100K but fighters struggle to get 50-75K. I can only get 100K when not fighting for air targets because the others go ground.

I use this MR "break" to know which rooms are GPs. MRs of 2200-2250 + are almost always ground. I join their rooms if there is a decent amount of AIR on the mission(such as Moscow, Pipeline, Weapon Base) because most other people also try to do ground and the points are divided among more players than the air targets. By doing this, I can still get the occassional MVP using my SU-35, F-14-Chopper, or F-22 Reaper. When you see an A-10 take out the Aigaion with a few bombs, hard to compete.

Now, when doing these repetitive challenges, I make my own rooms and have no choice but to kick high MRs when I have to do ground because I know an experienced GP will crush me.

I hope that Namco takes this into consideration when they work on Ace Combat 7. I know that I will not spend the kind of money that I spend on ACI knowing that as a FIGHTER gamer in a series called "ACE COMBAT" that ground guys get all the glory. I thought the Fighter jocks were called "Aces" not the attackers and bombers
  34. Sep 14, 2017
    I really enjoy this game. I would've given it a higher rating, but the fuel system is a bit pointless. I love that it is a nostalgic game with references including planes, emblems, callsigns, and radio messages going all the way back to the first game. It feels amazing like the previous games other than assault horizon. Its just a filler game to make up for time and assault horizon, soI really enjoy this game. I would've given it a higher rating, but the fuel system is a bit pointless. I love that it is a nostalgic game with references including planes, emblems, callsigns, and radio messages going all the way back to the first game. It feels amazing like the previous games other than assault horizon. Its just a filler game to make up for time and assault horizon, so don't be expecting a continued story. The multiplayer could use some tweaking, so beginners aren't playing against pros. All in all, it is a very fun game. Expand
  35. Nov 11, 2018
    its true that this a f2p game, but its not fair we call it totally p2w, because the efforts and choices of player in upgrading air crafts determine the superiority.
    i never seen a good combat system like that before
    also consider that ACI was a treasure in years of lack the flight combat games

Mixed or average reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Aug 4, 2014
    In a game build around multiplayer, it's baffling that the developer would undermine any gains made through Infinity being freely available by making it so difficult to play once you have it. [Aug 2014, p.91]
  2. Games Master UK
    Jul 29, 2014
    The rotting corpse floating in this flight sim's pool is its free-to-play mechanic. [Sept 2014, p.80]
  3. games(TM)
    Jul 19, 2014
    It's a little dull - particularly without PvP - but shouting "danger zone" at the top of your lungs will no doubt alleviate some of the mundanity. [Issue#150, p.116]