8.2

1. Oct 29, 2013
    This is, by far, one of the best entries in the series. It feels fresh and different. And you know that feeling? Yeah, the one you have when playing AC2 and that was missing from AC3? It's back.
  2. Oct 29, 2013
    Best addition to ac series after ac 2 it is a landmark game and keeps you busy with it's thrills and rich environment. It is a game which define both ac and the pirates.
  3. Oct 29, 2013
    First off, if we were to review the game as a separate title from the series ACIV is amazing.If we are going to review the game based on the previous games then it's far away from what Assassin's Creed 2 offered us. Edward is clearly a PIRATE not an assassin. The real world missions are not so good. The yearly releases are ''killing'' this game.Even though Ubisoft said that each game hasFirst off, if we were to review the game as a separate title from the series ACIV is amazing.If we are going to review the game based on the previous games then it's far away from what Assassin's Creed 2 offered us. Edward is clearly a PIRATE not an assassin. The real world missions are not so good. The yearly releases are ''killing'' this game.Even though Ubisoft said that each game has been developed by a separate team, the game lacks quality.Look at GTA V,they spend 5 years developing the game and the game is SUPERB in every aspect.5 years is too much, but a new game should be released every two years and it must be done by a full team.Nevertheless the game is way better than AC3 but apparently the experience of AC2 won't be repeated again :(.....Also the game misses a main plot. The main plot ended in AC3. Ubi released AC:Revelations and especially AC4 just for profit ,'cause their initial ideas for the game, when they didn't know it would have become so successful ,ended a year ago with the release of AC3. AC4 is a new game and part of a new series and that ''IV'' after Assassin's Creed is ''useless'' and inappropriate, it can be a spiritual successor but not a real sequel.I'd give it a 9/10 ,if not related to the other games and 5/10 as part of the series, 'cause the game focuses on pirates and hackers and not assassins,characters are weak and the main character,Edward doesn't establish that connection between players and him.As I previously said,the game hasn't a ''Real'' Main plot..... Expand
  4. Oct 29, 2013
    *Looks at user reviews*

"its nothing but a glorified dlc pack"

*spits out drink*

Fun so far, haven't finished it but I'm having a great time. In depth world, loads to, great game.
  5. Oct 29, 2013
    playng it since thursday awesome game its a mix of assassin creed 2 with brotherhood with pirates and assassin themes wich is awesome edward is a badass
  6. Dec 1, 2013
    Story is weak and hard to follow at times, too many ship and tailing missions, but other than that it easily improves vastly from the other games and does everything other than the story much better.
  7. Dec 8, 2013
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag represents new life for the franchise which, just a year ago, seemed to be aging dramatically. Everything about it is like a well-oiled machine, and Ubisoft's experience with the pirate genre shines through. Notable improvements include manual aim for pistols and other weapons, along with a series of noticeable tweaks here and there.
    This is indisputably
    This is indisputably the greatest in the series since Assassin's Creed II.
  8. Jan 2, 2014
    For those who do not know this game goes backwards in time, however forward in the story. The main guy is Edward Kennway, father of Haythen in AC3 and Grandfather of Connor. that is all I will say.

I dont know why people say that AC is dying out. This game is really good. Goes into depth, has good side missions, allows you to really explore a much more realistic world and setting.

Graphic 9/10
    Story 10/10
    controls 9/10
    online- 7/10
    Smoothness 10/10
  9. Sep 29, 2015
    Black Flag is by far the best AC game since Assassin's Creed II. Everything about it feels fresh and new.

The lead protagonist, Edward Kenway, is an insatiable rogue with a troubled past who is just as charming as Ezio and even more so than Connor. Ubisoft have truly redeemed themselves with this entry and it stands as one of the best games of 2013. Most of the gameplay elements

Most of the gameplay elements from AC3 return, but are sufficiently utilised to create the best AC experience to date. Crafting is a lot easier and the incentive to plunder other ships to upgrade your own is strangely compelling and addictive.

Most importantly, this game fulfils your unrealised desire to be an Assassin pirate.
  10. Apr 11, 2016
    worse story then AC 3 but amazing gameplay but if you want to use the Brotherhood system this time around called the navy you have to be online witch **** sucks
  11. Mar 31, 2017
    Not the best AC game but a fun pirate type game.

The Good Great naval combat so much fun attacking ships and boarding battles very exciting! Nice tropical graphics and animation very detailed clouds, weather, even the towels are detailed on land. Music was nice touch loved the singing while sailing HUGE open world lots to do and explore The Bad The Abstergo corporate
    Not the best AC game but a fun pirate type game.

The Good

Music was nice touch loved the singing while sailing

HUGE open world lots to do and explore

The Bad

The Abstergo corporate missions SUCKED BAD. Please get rid of this crap nonsense in future or just use a few cutscenes. Was boring and STUPID.

I hated the tailing missions waste of time and boring
    Disliked the poor jump and climb mechanics

Definitely worth buying used for cheap. I liked this and AC2 the best in the series so far but have not played Syndicate yet.
  12. Dec 11, 2013
    Very nice mix between classic AC gameplay and sailing the seas. open world sandbox is great, and a lot to do. graphics are starting to get a bit old but the athmosphere is great.
  13. Dec 10, 2013
    After being mildly disappointed with AC 3, I am pleasantly surprised by this title. The story line might not be the best in the Assassins Creed series but that is made up for through a tight atmosphere, interesting characters and, of course, Pirates! Who doesn't like pirates?

The graphics are well executed. Game play and controls are on par with similar titles. In game actions besides the main mission are varied, reaching from harpooning and hunting through stealth looting of plantations, to the ever popular collectibles, which by the way include shanties that will be sung by the crew while at sea after unlocking.

Overall the game is extremely captivating. More so than it's direct predecessor AC 3 and way more than for instance this years pity of a Batman: Arkham game.

There are some annoying glitches with the single player online content, which I hope will be solved by some upcoming patch. Other than that I see no reason to rate this game less than 9.
  14. Jan 2, 2014
    The game itself deserves a 10/10. The limitations on the PS3 result in framerate issues are problematic. I would recommend it for the PC instead......
  15. Jan 22, 2014
    Another winner in the ASSASSIN'S CREED series. A sprawling, open world experience that is as fascinating as it is fun. The graphics, sound, and acting are, perfect and the missions are well designed and interesting. The naval combat has been vastly expanded and is so amazing, it would be easy to simply discard following the story and just pillage on the high seas all day. The game'sAnother winner in the ASSASSIN'S CREED series. A sprawling, open world experience that is as fascinating as it is fun. The graphics, sound, and acting are, perfect and the missions are well designed and interesting. The naval combat has been vastly expanded and is so amazing, it would be easy to simply discard following the story and just pillage on the high seas all day. The game's balance is fantastic, too - never letting the various treasure hunts and side missions muddy the flow.

The only real problems the game has are in the main storyline. Pirates are simply not as interesting historical figures as those we find in Renaissance Italy or Colonial America. The Templar/Assassin conflict is treated as almost an afterthought and the game does not further the mythology of the AC universe very much. Also, Edward Kenway didn't really do it for me as a main character. His eventual conversion and redemption with the Assassins feels perfunctory and happens far to late in the game to really believe it. I find myself far more interested and engaged in the Black Flag characters when I play as Adawale.

If you like ASSASSIN'S CREED, you will love this game. It is one that will keep you happy for a good long time.
  16. Jan 5, 2014
    i had hopes fore ac4 but this is not what i expectid wow.
    finally a great pirate game a great charecthers and good music.
    a realy great story and ship gameplay just taking down ships is amezing.
    the only thing is they need a new combat then this game wil be even better.
  17. Feb 15, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review.
    Pros/ Good Points:
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review.
    Pros/ Good Points:
    + A beautiful, detailed yet enourmous open world to explore. Ship controls and mechanics much more simplified for a better experience. Emotional moments in the story (all I can say without spoiling). It isn't as bugged/glitched as Assassin's Creed III. The sense of verticality everywhere you go, from jungles, to cities and islands. The game doesn't restrict you from exploring the world, you can explore it from the get-go. Full of enjoyable side content. Dumber AI that motivate the use of stealth. 100% completition of missions is simplified and the side-objectives aren't as specific as to how to engage the mission. Enjoyable underwater segments. Things to spend your money in, unlike it's predecessors. Strong characters and character development. Impressive graphics. Soundtrack hasn't dropped quality since the first game, this is not the exception. Simple and smooth menus that makes navigating through really easy. There's ambient/background music while you're just playing around, which is a nice little touch.
    Cons/ Bad Points:
    -Way too long and weak story, both in the present day and golden age of piracy, that doesn't add much to the AC universe. Multiplayer needs reinvention and quickly, gamelab wasn't enough. Only the two swords and fists as the game mele weapons. It's difficult to control the character, mainly in the JackDaw and when you're trying to board, considering the tight spaces and that the character usually goes where he wants to go, and not where I want him to. Boarding turns really quickly into something repetitive and boring. The game cannot be completed at a 100% without using Kenway's Fleet (for which you need to be online) and it's really not a very nice change. Though it doesn't have as much bugs/glitches as ACIII, it still have some few game-breaking problems. Aveline missions don't stand on it's own and don't even add anything more to what has been already seen in Liberation. It's a silly thing but, you can't run while using your eagle vission, it's really annoying. Frame rate drops many times when you are running through rooftops in big cities.
    Final thoughts and score:
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag tries to innovate as much as it can, but the game never managed to stood out from ACII and Brotherhood. Still, it is somewhat refreshing and it is by far the best AC game since Brotherhood.
    Average Score: 8.6/10
    For more Assasssin's Creed Reviews go to:
  18. May 24, 2014
    Summary Review
    Just a disclaimer, I have only played Assassin Creed 1; so I can’t comment on the rest of the series. Likewise I cannot comment on the online gameplay cause my internet is bad.
    +Good visuals +Very good combat system with a good variety of weapons and upgrades, and good stealth mechanics +Excellent sea battle mechanics which is a tonne of fun and is refreshing +Great
    Summary Review

+Good visuals
    +Excellent sea battle mechanics which is a tonne of fun and is refreshing
    +Great side-activities which I often found to be more fun than the main missions.
    ? I found the story to be very confusing despite its strengths
    -I hated the use of Abstergo Entertainment, which killed the level of emotion that the game can believer.

In brief it is a must buy

Full Review
    While Assassin Creed Blackflag, takes a while to get into the first thing that you will notice is that the visuals are great, with good frame rates and textures, and help increase the level of emotion that the game believers. Likewise I found very few bugs within the game. However what matters to me is the gameplay.
    With regards to the gameplay, it is great. The combat is very easy to master, while at the same time has enough variety to reduce the repetitiveness of the combat. This can be seen with the variety of weapons, in particularly the use of combining swords and pistols, which encourages you to mix up combat, because pistols take a while to reload and are actually not that powerful until you unlock new ones. Likewise the introduction of new weapons, like the darts (which you unlock roughly half way through the game), in particular the berserk dart which makes sneaking so much more entertaining, as it seems enemies to attack each other. Such variety of weapons in combination with Assassin Creed’s solid sneaking system, and the variety of enemies from brutes to grunts, help make combat very entertaining. However one of the common complaints I have found about Assassin Creed, that the combat is too easy, I found is still present especially when you unlock upgrades.
    However Assassin Creed Blackflag, makes up for the how easy its combat is, with the ship mechanics. This feels fresh and exciting, and is something that I have always wanted in a game. The naval combat was fantastic, especially with how the unlocking of improvements for you ship which mean that you really feel a sense of progression, while at the same time not finding the enemies to be too easy, especially when you fight multiple ships at the same time. I especially like the fact that your ship takes damage and that will affect how well it performs in combat, but don’t worry because you can use boarded ships to repair your own, making naval combat more accessible, as you don’t have to keep going back to land to repair your ship. The only major annoyance of the naval combat is how the boarding of ships can get repetitive because you need resources to unlock improvements, and boarding ships and taking their crew is the quickest way to get such resources.
    The finally major thing I have to say about Assassin’s Creed is the side activities which are for the most part a lot of fun. In particular though a bit repetitive I found the diving sections which are needed to unlock the best upgrades for your ship, the assassin contracts both on and off land (what kind of assassin game would not have such contracts) where you get rewarded for killing your target for killing him without being detected, the naval contracts which are surprisingly challenging especially when you have to protect other ships, whaling which was surprisingly engaging and the robbing of safe house which require the use of skill, and are challenging. Such side activities are awesome for the most part, though a lot of the collectables are pretty pointless, beyond the Mayan stones these keys, and some shanty sheets that allow your crew to learn another sea shanty to sing on your behalf. But the other collectables are rather pointless. Likewise the hunting is undeveloped I find because for the most part it is way too easy, it is certainly not as good as Far Cry 3’s hunting mechanic.
    The first thing I have about Assassin Creed 4 is that I found the story to be a bit confusing at times, but that is probably because I did not pay that much attention. I will not spoil anything but I found the going back between the Matrix like thing, and being a badass pirate (Edward, who is an awesome character btw) and how such events were interlinked to be poorly explained. That said though the introduction of excellent character like Blackbeard and William Kidd; help make the story not so much a snooze fest.
    The final complaint I have is the having this Matrix like system within the game, which put me off Assassin Creed series on the whole, because I hate the idea of at key moments within the story, being pulled out of the historical setting and into a different game which is not a good. This effect is present within Assassin Creed Blackflag, and I wish Ubisoft for Assassin Creed 5 remove this Matrix like thing entirely.
  19. Jan 12, 2014
    AC4 is a lot of fun. The game's large map demands exploration and the naval element of the game is refreshing and interesting. The story is acceptable but did not come to the same heights as AC3's emotional and powerful story. The caribbean setting is open and full of life. The cities of Kingston, Havana, and Nassau are each very different and fun to explore. The core stealth and combatAC4 is a lot of fun. The game's large map demands exploration and the naval element of the game is refreshing and interesting. The story is acceptable but did not come to the same heights as AC3's emotional and powerful story. The caribbean setting is open and full of life. The cities of Kingston, Havana, and Nassau are each very different and fun to explore. The core stealth and combat mechanics remain basically untouched from AC3 which is both a plus and a minus. It was nice to be able to pick up AC4 and play it without anything new to learn. However, it would have been nice to introduce a deeper combo system. The weapons in AC4 are also pretty limitting being restricted to carrying two swords and only being able to temporarily pick up other weapons. After AC3's large catalogue of swords, tomahawks, daggers, and heavy weapons, AC4 seems like a step down in terms of weapon choice. However, the expansive setting full of rich side quests and missions including hunts for treasure, underwater shipwrecks, island and cave explorations, and plenty of assassination missions make up for any let downs in story or weapon choice. Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag is an excellent game. Expand
  20. Nov 12, 2013
    It is in the amazing visuals, vicious combat and smooth free-running that Assassin's Creed IV truly shines. Unfortunately, a disappointing storyline and two-dimensional characters make this one of the weakest additions to the AC franchise, story-wise. Like the other games in the series, the story is set both in the Animus and out of it. While outside of the Animus, you will see someIt is in the amazing visuals, vicious combat and smooth free-running that Assassin's Creed IV truly shines. Unfortunately, a disappointing storyline and two-dimensional characters make this one of the weakest additions to the AC franchise, story-wise. Like the other games in the series, the story is set both in the Animus and out of it. While outside of the Animus, you will see some familiar faces however their appearance is short and unimportant to the overall story, their inclusion in the game feels forced as if to make a connection between this game and the events at the climax of Assassin's Creed III.

Despite the lacklustre story, there is still a lot of fun to be had with this game. The naval combat from ACIII is back and improved upon in many ways, the "Jackdaw", Kenway's ship. Is fully upgradable, from the power of the cannons to the strength of the hull. You can also customize your ship aesthetically, by changing the colour of the sails and the figurehead on the front of The Jackdaw. The customization is limited but it is still enjoyable. Despite being disappointing in certain areas, as a whole it is still an enjoyable game.
  21. Jan 9, 2014
    My hopes were Assassin's Creed 4 would be much better than the underwelming, Assssin's Creed 3 (mainly due to the ending).

The story isn't the best in the franchise but it is well done, For future Assassins Creed games keep The Optional Objectives out of the game, it makes missions more linear if you want that 100%. Naval combat has made a return and better than ever. My favourite

Naval combat has made a return and better than ever.

My favourite parts of the game were the side missions from Assassin Contracts to simply a game of checkers.

The Open World is great you can explore the vast sea and access Havana,Nassau and Kingston along with small villages you even get you're own village, you can customize so it has Shops,Taverns etc.

Despite Assassin's Creed II being the top of the franchise this is my 2nd Favourite Assassin's Creed game

22. Jan 27, 2014
    Assassins creed 4 gets the best the others assassins, the game is very funny, you explore every corner looking all your secrets. Edward kenway is a character with personality (not as connor, assassins 3), but Edward don´t is a assassins only he moves by the money. The gameplay is really fun, climb building never have been so fun, the battles improves respect assassins 3, but far from theAssassins creed 4 gets the best the others assassins, the game is very funny, you explore every corner looking all your secrets. Edward kenway is a character with personality (not as connor, assassins 3), but Edward don´t is a assassins only he moves by the money. The gameplay is really fun, climb building never have been so fun, the battles improves respect assassins 3, but far from the leaders of the genre. The ship battles are something else, very funny but is just doing repetitive. The game has a lot of side quests (follow a guy, kill guy...).

The main story doesn´t explain anything, if a good game but is a pirates game, not a assassins game.
  23. Mar 11, 2014
    I feel very happy about ac4 because it is a really good game. I have played every AC even Liberation on Vita, and honestly AC4 is one of the best if not the best AC game ( This or ac2 fighting for nr 1). After ac3 which was a huge dissapointment AC4 brings back what was so great about that game which was naval combat.
    The naval combat feels a lot better and is the best thing that could
    The naval combat feels a lot better and is the best thing that could happen to the series. The only thing I feel the naval combat needed was more customization for ur ship, sure you can updrage your ship but what about diffrent ships. Like a heavy ship thats slow, or a fast speed sheep, Would be great if you had options like that and hopefully we will either get a fully pirate game from ubisioft or another ac that uses the naval combat.
    The rest of the game besides the naval combat is like every other AC game. Sure the game has new settings but the gameplay feels a lot like the previous games. The story of Edward is good and enjoyable but the Assassins vs templars story starting to get irrating with no end.
    Another thing i want to praise are the sea shanties , a lot of fun and I enjoy hearing them during my playtrough.

After all this game is really good and every Ac fan should try it. The setting and the naval combat a lone makes it worth the while. I will give this game a 9/10 and hopefully we will a open world pirate game from ubisoft or another ac game likes this with a lot more customization!
  24. Feb 26, 2014
    Great game, i advise everyone who hasnt tried it to go ahead and get themselves a copy. Its an experience you cannot miss out on. Ubisoft really stepped up their game this year, with beautiful scenery and a mix between both playing on water or inland.
  25. Mar 29, 2014
    Awesome game. What Black Flag possibly lacks in the intriguing story some were looking for is fully made up for by the best Assassin's Creed gameplay to date, where piracy and previous Assassin's Creeds nostalgia are integrated flawlessly. I've never played a pirate game before but the way AC4's naval combat and events (harpooning/royal convoys) drew me in from the start, as well asAwesome game. What Black Flag possibly lacks in the intriguing story some were looking for is fully made up for by the best Assassin's Creed gameplay to date, where piracy and previous Assassin's Creeds nostalgia are integrated flawlessly. I've never played a pirate game before but the way AC4's naval combat and events (harpooning/royal convoys) drew me in from the start, as well as Kenway's Fleet, ensured that I couldn't stop playing until I fully upgraded the Jackdaw and destroyed all the legendaries. 9/10 only because of the slightly lacklustre story. With so much to do and such value for money, I would recommend to long-term AC fan and newcomer alike. Expand
  26. Apr 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Definitely my favorite in the series so far, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag takes my favorite part of Assassin's Creed III, the naval missions, and builds an entire game around it. While I don't feel like an Assassin when I ram into a British Blockade with a Fire Boat, I feel like I'm a real pirate sailing the open seas, I feel like I can be what I really want to be. This game really promoted the open world experience that I felt other Assassin's Creed games lacked, with a massive world to explore and a bunch of different of things to do, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag should be treated as one of the best in the Series. (And less being pulled out of game for stupid story, yay) Expand
  27. Dec 28, 2014
    Thanks to its well-crafted storytelling and addictive hunting/combat system, "Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag" triumphs, despite its somewhat clumsy controls.
  28. Sep 4, 2016
    I can't bilive how ♥♥♥♥♥♥ awesome is this game. You need to understand that i don't like AssasinCreed franchise, i despise because of ♥♥♥♥♥♥ game-play and missions ( You are a fukin silent assasin that's why called ''Assassin's Creed'' but the game is so idiotic and repetitive nothing silent in this franchises.
    Now back to BLACK FLAG i freaking love it ; WAY? you ask because ,you say that
    Now back to BLACK FLAG i freaking love it ; WAY? you ask because ,you say that you hate AssassinCreed franchise, because it haze nothing to do with the franchise beside the stupid movement , but otherwise is a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ PIRATE GAME with boat navigation, treasure hunt, robbed wat boats you found, pirates sings, and NO ♥♥♥♥♥♥ ASSASINS CREED ♥♥♥♥♥♥ STORY.
    This game is a masterpiece if you like pirates , and you want to play a good pirates game besides Risen 2.
  29. Jul 15, 2014
    I own all the AC games thus far. Big fan, can you tell? My rating echoes others I have read - (1) story-line outside the animus stinks and (2) the repetitive mini-movies or sayings is annoying. I have managed to overlook these shortcomings and played through the game some 5 times now. Looking forward to "Unity".
  30. Oct 15, 2014
    Assassins creed 4 black flag is an awesome game with its huge open world with tones of islands and a lively ocean, amazing combat in ships or on land, great visuals and a awesome soundtrack that makes you feel like a badass, the only problem I have with the single player captain edward kenway's story isnt that interesting and i spent most of the game exploring.

Next is the multiplayer

Next is the multiplayer that is the games weakest part, you wold team up with other players to hunt or flee the other team, its god at first but after 2 or 3 play throughs u stop playin it.

Now here's a part in the game where in other reviews i looked at wasn't mentioned and that was kenways fleet where you capture ships you fought and send them to your fleet and do jobs for you across the atlantic ocean by doing delivaries from coast to coast, and the only problem I have with it is that you need to b connected to the internet to youse it.

Thats my review for Black Flag. Does it hold up, absolutly.
  31. Jan 15, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Finally some major new content for us to enjoy. But does it all stick togeather....yes!

First of all, AC4 takes place in the Carribean islands, you are a pirate named Edward Kenway who is the father of AC3 main antagonist Haytham. This is the first AC game that is a prequel to another game.
    The story takes you through a real rollercoaster. Edwards character is fresh and his reasons for doing most of the things in the game are........money and more of it.
    The combat felt the same ad AC3, but the edition of 4 pistols and two swords made for some intense battles. The map is filled with many islands for you to explore at your will, because soon after 1 or 2 hours into the game you can sail across the ocean with your ship, The Jackdaw.

The graphics look fenomenal on the PS3 and even better on PS4. The whole map looks huge. It takes some time for you to get from one place to another. The vibrant nature of the islands and the animation of the weather and the sea was awesome. Although I did run into some bugs but they were a lot smaller than AC3.

Overall the game is great and i would recoment it to peaple not only interested in the AC franchise, but for pirating favorites as well. The soundtrack is great, the characters also. Some minor bugs. AC4 is one of the best entries in the franchise.
  32. Jan 7, 2016
    Easily the best Assassin's Creed game ever made, Black Flag is rich with a stunning open world and an intriguing story. At first, travelling the high seas on a boat for hours promised to be a tedious affair, after the first sequence however I was sold. Not many games have completely immersed me in the world I was playing in, this was one of them. With so much to explore, so much to unlock,Easily the best Assassin's Creed game ever made, Black Flag is rich with a stunning open world and an intriguing story. At first, travelling the high seas on a boat for hours promised to be a tedious affair, after the first sequence however I was sold. Not many games have completely immersed me in the world I was playing in, this was one of them. With so much to explore, so much to unlock, so much to discover, Black Flag is one of the best open world games ever made. Expand
  33. Aug 26, 2015
    The greater focus on stealth as well as improved combat and an awesome setting make this the best asassins creed in years. Also worth mentioning, the game thankfully doesn´t have a 3 HOUR tutorial (I´m looking at you, AC3) and lets you run completely free pretty early.
  34. Dec 29, 2015
    Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag.Its a mere master blaster its amazing.It got first time full control of ships and a new combat system new way to select weapons and lot more stuff to do.must buy
  35. Apr 13, 2016
    I loved this game so much! The characters were complex and the story was interesting. The only thing that let it down for me was, I wasn't quite sure what was happening during some points of the story. I tried to keep up with it, but it was just too hard to follow. The look of this game is beautiful and I enjoyed the fact that the character was more a pirate than an assassin, which made itI loved this game so much! The characters were complex and the story was interesting. The only thing that let it down for me was, I wasn't quite sure what was happening during some points of the story. I tried to keep up with it, but it was just too hard to follow. The look of this game is beautiful and I enjoyed the fact that the character was more a pirate than an assassin, which made it a little different. Expand
  36. Jan 19, 2018
    Assassins Creed Black Flag is masterpiece
    its have big open world full of things to do, side activity to complete, animals to hunt and use it for armor or weapons,
    big fishes to kill on water, explore under the water, upgrade your ship, destroy templers outposts and many more things aside of that it have great story, awesome game-play, and beautiful graphics for any platforms. i highly
    Assassins Creed Black Flag is masterpiece
    i highly recommend this game for every one.
  37. Nov 4, 2013
    About 50% through the game, and barring drastic plot changes, I can safely assume that the latter half will be similar. If the main goal of this game is to be fun, then it certainly succeeds. It is popcorn fluff of the highest order, and I would rather spend my time and money with it, than a half baked franchise movie. With that said, it seems to run into the same problems that tentpoleAbout 50% through the game, and barring drastic plot changes, I can safely assume that the latter half will be similar. If the main goal of this game is to be fun, then it certainly succeeds. It is popcorn fluff of the highest order, and I would rather spend my time and money with it, than a half baked franchise movie. With that said, it seems to run into the same problems that tentpole movies run into. Poorly constructed characters, story being sacrificed for big-action set pieces, and a fear of deviating from formula.

Edward Kenway struck me as a reaction (to the reaction) to Connor. AC III was a dull exercise because of it's one note main character. Not to repeat the same mistake, AC IV's dev team seems to have tried too hard to make Edward a jovial being. Quick to gain respect and trust. But it is tough to romanticize someone who pillages and murders for a living. The supporting characters feel much more appropriately seedy by comparison.

Halfway through the game, no real story has yet to present itself. This is not the end of the world, but to be transcendent, story is THE most important element. One of the reviews mentioned that this was the best game of the year. Not to get too chippy, but that person needs their head checked.

For a piece of entertainment so reliant on big action, it remains frustrating that this series falters in its biggest moments. The main drawback is almost always the gameplay, which is as frustrating as it has ever been. The big set pieces just make the issues more glaring. A difficult chase will be wrecked by a random ladder that Edward suddenly wants to climb. Selecting weapons or tools is clunky, so when attempting to use a bomb as a diversion during a stealth section, you accidentally toss a smoke bomb and are discovered immediately. Go back and try it another 10 times, because the checkpoint is so far back!

It's easy to forget a lot of these issues though if you realize that this game is for fun. It seems to have deviated somewhat from the far too serious story lines of its predecessors, and that is probably for the best. It certainly won't be looked upon as a standard bearer of greatness in a year that gave us big budget games with a lot more polish (Last of Us and GTA V), but it is still very enjoyable.
  38. Nov 23, 2013
    Fun, fun fun, thats what you get wen you play this game. Ive only had one other AC game and that was revelations so I was a bit reluctant to get this, but having read a few user reviews Im glad I did. I dont get where the negative reviews are coming from as there is nothing to warrant that in this game,

Sailing the seas looking to pirate is just awesome, I love the open world aspect there is so much to do, yes you could mention it might feel a little repetitive but never enough to stop you coming back for more and thats a sign of a good game, and theres still the single player story to keep you going.

This is a great game to play just go buy it,
  39. Nov 6, 2013
    After seeing the trailer, I will not hide that I was not placing much hope on this game. However, after playing for nearly 10 hours straight, I was pleasantly surprised. In past Assassin's Creed games, being in the city felt natural as you were always in it. In ACIV, I found myself longing for my ship and the vast open world that is the sea/ocean. Additionally, successfully capturing aAfter seeing the trailer, I will not hide that I was not placing much hope on this game. However, after playing for nearly 10 hours straight, I was pleasantly surprised. In past Assassin's Creed games, being in the city felt natural as you were always in it. In ACIV, I found myself longing for my ship and the vast open world that is the sea/ocean. Additionally, successfully capturing a high-level man o' war, or any ship for that matter, is incredibly satisfying. You would think that such an act would get repetitive and boring, but it does not. I predict that the opinions will be split on this game, as you either hate it or love it, but I personally think that it is a huge step-up from the odd ACIII. Expand
  40. Oct 31, 2013
    A good game,the new naval warfare is great and a lot of fun.I also liked the new crafting system,and assassination contracts are back.This is the game to put the series back on track.
  41. Oct 30, 2013
    This Assassin's Creed is one of the best since two came out, the game play is not very different but that's not a bad thing, the naval battles are really fun, the man character is more charismatic like and Ezio and not boring like Conner. If you didn't think this was going to be a good game because it came out a year after the third game think again because there was another team makingThis Assassin's Creed is one of the best since two came out, the game play is not very different but that's not a bad thing, the naval battles are really fun, the man character is more charismatic like and Ezio and not boring like Conner. If you didn't think this was going to be a good game because it came out a year after the third game think again because there was another team making this game. If you played any assassins creed games or if you want to start playing them for the first time this would be a good game to pick up. Almost forgot the multiplayer is a fun getaway from the single player. Expand
  42. Oct 30, 2013
    I'd say this is the best AC game in the franchise much better than brotherhood, the pirate theme is awesome and hopefully they expand this one to a trilogy I can relate to Edward since we all want to be well off
  43. Oct 31, 2013
    Great game yes of course we know what we are getting Oh pay no attention to the Zeros they are purposely doing this to bring down the overall score so irrelevant really
  44. Nov 1, 2013
    My favorite parts of AC3 involved the naval combat and sailing. It was so well done that I wished Ubisoft would just make a game revolving around this fantastically developed sailing mechanic. Well look what showed up, and dang is this a wonderful game. My only issue are occasionally missteps in traveling--the main character leaping from ledges to ledges while I just want to be on theMy favorite parts of AC3 involved the naval combat and sailing. It was so well done that I wished Ubisoft would just make a game revolving around this fantastically developed sailing mechanic. Well look what showed up, and dang is this a wonderful game. My only issue are occasionally missteps in traveling--the main character leaping from ledges to ledges while I just want to be on the ground, but that's been in the games since the beginning. The naval combat is excellent, boarding other ships is a fluid and fun process. There's so much to buy and unlock. I've played for 20 hours and I've not progressed through the story much, I've simply been sailing around plundering Spanish and British treasure ships alike. Fantastic game, thanks for making it. Expand
  45. Nov 11, 2013
    This game was disappointing.

This game was disappointing.

I was under the impression that Ubisoft decided to make more Assassin's Creed games because people liked the early ones and wanted to see where the story was going, I couldn't have been more wrong. The modern storyline was, as decided by a lot of players, immersion breaking and frustrating. I felt otherwise, the modern storyline gives history a point, the larger story gave me a reason to keep going and a bigger picture to influence with my smaller actions. Something that was recognised with ACIII all the way up to killing the guy who spent all of Ezio and Altaïr's lives training to be the perfect assassin.

As for the pirate part of the game, it was very piratey. Blackbeard was as fierce and respectable as expected and by far my favourite, I felt like a giant selfish tool stealing from tradespeople and Navy men like any pirate would. But that was still kind of fun! What wasn't fun is the way this game talks down to the player.

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag takes the standpoint that you have never played an AC game before and has tutorials on every single mechanic brought back from the previous titles. Text pops up over Edwards head during combat telling you exactly which button you need to press to damage and enemy, essentially turning combat into a series of slow time events. Information in the story is so blatantly obvious to the player that it makes the characters in the game look like morons for not realising things sooner.

CQC on ships is a complete mess. When boarding a ship, half of the hits I took were from my own pirate crew who couldn't wait for me to move before slashing at the enemy. ALSO they removed the Assassin Recruit mechanic which would've fit perfectly into boarding ships! A trainable crew that actually manages to kill something that you can command to complete objectives with you... Talk about a missed opportunity. As a result, ship combat end up being a massive boring drag as you get to a point where you have to grind and grind to get materials to upgrade the Jackdaw.

As a completionist I obviously had to spend a lot of time sailing to treasure chests, so trust me when I tell you this, the map is big, and the map is lazy. The chests are placed on tiny copy pasted islands spaced evenly across the ocean. It is so mind numbingly repetitive that I wish I'd never bought the game. Collectibles are revealed on the map as soon as viewpoints are synched, so there is no challenge to any part of it, no satisfaction to be felt for achieving 100% sync, which there isn't even a trophy for (easy platinum hey?)

As a long standing fan of the series with a merchandise collection to be reckoned with, I feel personally offended and let down by this game. It's an insult to canon and to the rich Universe that is Assassin's Creed, I don't want to see the series continue to degrade itself and lose all subtlety and nuance, if this is the future of AC then this is my last purchase.
  46. Oct 29, 2013
    I honestly thought they killed Assassins Creed with the infamous AC3 but IV is surprisingly good and sets a high standard for any future games.

Visuals are beyond what could be expected by 8 year old consoles, and you will notice it. The water effects omfg. Gameplay wise its what we have been waiting for, especially with all the new items (weapons, Outfits, ship upgrades etc.) The

The Jackdaw is the home the "homestead" never was, and you really grow to care for the ships well being which was quite surprising.

I can't really describe how good i found this game to be.
    It improved on EVERYTHING from AC3 and added a free roam world with astounding visuals and epic naval gameplay.

**** buy it.
  47. Oct 29, 2013
    I've enjoyed this game real good This game has better graphics gameplay, game mechanics, the storyline was awesome They've added extra new features Its better than AC 2, AC 3 for sure I bought a game worth all my penny The world in this game is typically large U can search for treasures and many more things The Visuals was f*****g great
  48. Nov 2, 2013
    One of the best games of 2013.
    must have for assassin's creed fans
    the single player has many things to do and see and it's beautiful to look at
    the mutliplayer remains the same but it's much better than assassin's creed III
  49. Nov 1, 2013
    Honestly you just cannot give this game a 0 if you have actually played it. The game is not fully broken and is playable so I don't understand where it's coming from. This is actually the first Assassins Creed game I have actually purchased and played the story. Previous games I had played at a friends house walking around killing people. With that being said the customization in AC:BF isHonestly you just cannot give this game a 0 if you have actually played it. The game is not fully broken and is playable so I don't understand where it's coming from. This is actually the first Assassins Creed game I have actually purchased and played the story. Previous games I had played at a friends house walking around killing people. With that being said the customization in AC:BF is amazing and has made it a very difficult game to put down each time I play it. If you're on the edge about this game I honestly don't see where you could go wrong. The naval combat is amazing also. Expand
  50. Nov 6, 2013
    After playing and completing Ac4 Black Flag it became clear to me that Ac4 is far better than any other game in the series (apart from ac2). It takes a great setting, fills it with a storyline of great and iconic characters and above all else brings brilliant combat and stealth gameplay! The only thing that i could find to put this game down by was the lack of story development in theAfter playing and completing Ac4 Black Flag it became clear to me that Ac4 is far better than any other game in the series (apart from ac2). It takes a great setting, fills it with a storyline of great and iconic characters and above all else brings brilliant combat and stealth gameplay! The only thing that i could find to put this game down by was the lack of story development in the modern day, but it's the same in all of the games. Expand
  51. Oct 30, 2013
    This game is incredible! Leave it to Ubisoft to re-invent the Brand! I love all aspects of this game as it takes you wherever you want to go! Great Job Ubisoft...Keep it up! I know Watch Dogs will be great as well!
  52. Oct 30, 2013
    Awesome game, sooo pretty, tons of stuff to do! I tried to finish it quickly, but it still took me 30 hours to finish the story. Mainly because of so many interesting distractions behind every corner. Really really cool game, AC is back on track!

The only thing that bothered me a little is somehow unpredictable AI (that's why I gave it 9 instead of 10). But even that seems to bee much better than in AC 3 or even Brotherhood.
  53. Oct 30, 2013
    Just played 3hours of AC4:BF and it is as good as everyones been saying. the nicest looking graphics on this gen of consoles up there with uncharted, The last of us, GTA V.

I am A HUGE AC fan and the AC series lost its way after AC2 which was my all time favorite, its safe to say that they are back on track, its alot more action orientated than AC3, from right at the start they put you in the action. Its not your usual AC story as your more of a pirate theme, which i think is cool, its a fresh take on the series. Good story so far, great graphics a must have, i cant wait to play it on the ps4.

It will be interesting to see what the series does in the future, hopefully Ancient Japan Ninja/Samurai, Or Roman times, theirs endless history periods which id like the series to go to.
  54. Oct 29, 2013
    this a dlc? this guys are crazy...great game, its a mix of assassin creed 2 with brotherhood...so is good game!! This game, is the one and only true assassins creed game since ac 2 Buy it!!
  55. Oct 29, 2013
    This game for me, is the definitivt ac experince since ac 2! I am just running around, enjoying the game like i did with ac 2. This game, is the one and only true ac game since ac 2 Buy it
  56. Nov 1, 2013
    Playing through AC3 last had me sorely disappointed. I was expecting a lot, but it just never came. With this AC, I was expecting it to do worse. I am happy to say that I am very happy with how it turned. It has a fresh new to the series that's seemingly going stale. Putting more emphasis on exploration also really shows as well as a deathly similarity to Far Cry 3 (especially gameplay,Playing through AC3 last had me sorely disappointed. I was expecting a lot, but it just never came. With this AC, I was expecting it to do worse. I am happy to say that I am very happy with how it turned. It has a fresh new to the series that's seemingly going stale. Putting more emphasis on exploration also really shows as well as a deathly similarity to Far Cry 3 (especially gameplay, hunting, etc). Story might not be great, but it's a nice fun type of story that will most leky keep you guessing. Graphics were a marvel on current (which leaves me wandering what will be of the next gen!). It feels surprisingly smooth. Not interested in the multi, but I can tell you that this game is just as great without it. This can be on level of GTA5 (which I thought was somewhat disappointing though still amazing). Expand
  57. Oct 31, 2013
    It's such an Incredible fun game! Just got my crew and I really like the character! perfect! It's fun to walk around in the office and check other employee's Perfect D:
  58. Nov 2, 2013
    Plz don't say anything until you play this game.I know your feeling,since AC II (which is one of the best game with me),these AC:B,AC:R and then AC III completely ruined my love with the series.After AC III (which i really hyped for -_-),i decided not to buy any AC games,but,i gave it a change,and trust me,it's worth it.
  59. Nov 1, 2013
    This game takes the series in an amazing new direction. Beautiful graphics, diverse open world like no other, crazy awesome action, and a badass protagonist. Assassin's Creed IV is a must have for any Assassin's Creed fan. BUT BEWARE: YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO PUT THE CONTRTOLLER DOWN.... Most people love criticizing the yearly releases of the series but who wants to wait that long to seeThis game takes the series in an amazing new direction. Beautiful graphics, diverse open world like no other, crazy awesome action, and a badass protagonist. Assassin's Creed IV is a must have for any Assassin's Creed fan. BUT BEWARE: YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO PUT THE CONTRTOLLER DOWN.... Most people love criticizing the yearly releases of the series but who wants to wait that long to see what happens next? Expand
  60. Nov 6, 2013
    Assassins Creed IV Blackflag improves on nearly every aspect over its predecessor. The world is bast, filled with many activities, secrets to discover and upgrades to collect. The story is fast paced (when compared to AC3), Edward Kenway is way more interesting character than previous AC protagonists, and his phillosophy over Assassin and Templar affairs feels like a refreshing change. OnAssassins Creed IV Blackflag improves on nearly every aspect over its predecessor. The world is bast, filled with many activities, secrets to discover and upgrades to collect. The story is fast paced (when compared to AC3), Edward Kenway is way more interesting character than previous AC protagonists, and his phillosophy over Assassin and Templar affairs feels like a refreshing change. On the downhill: the combat remains almost the same, with great emphasis on counter attacks, and it may become somewhat confusing when the amount of enemies on the screen grows high. Many may argue which AC game is the best, 4 or 2, in my case it'll have to chose Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, the big world and the liberty this game provides is enough to make it earn its places as the Best Assassin's Creed Game to date, after all, when the story ends is the gameplay and RPG elements that makes this game so special. (sorry, Ezio) Expand
  61. Nov 2, 2013
    Imagine if Rockstar Games made a Pirate-themed,open world adventure.Now imagine that AC 4 was its second rate cousin....Another year of development time could have made this one of the finest games of all time.But nope,quarterly reports are this games studios main reason to exist and they'll obviously already be working on AC4,BF2 right now.Expect it in 12 months time.The game itself isImagine if Rockstar Games made a Pirate-themed,open world adventure.Now imagine that AC 4 was its second rate cousin....Another year of development time could have made this one of the finest games of all time.But nope,quarterly reports are this games studios main reason to exist and they'll obviously already be working on AC4,BF2 right now.Expect it in 12 months time.The game itself is quite good,acceptable even,but with a massive team and budget,it should have been amazing.In its defense,there's tons to do and at least it's easily better than the last 3 AC titles.The animus is less intrusive this time,though being taken out of the adventure still annoys no end.That said,it was worth a $2 hire. Expand
  62. Nov 4, 2013
    I am absolutely stunned by the sheer joy I get out of this Assassin's Creed. The world and possibilities are so vast this time. It just all fits very well. After hours of plundering, I can say I am positively surprised about the fact that this Assassin's Creed has "it" for me. For the first time since AC2, I feel they've put an element of perfection in the game. It was totally worth theI am absolutely stunned by the sheer joy I get out of this Assassin's Creed. The world and possibilities are so vast this time. It just all fits very well. After hours of plundering, I can say I am positively surprised about the fact that this Assassin's Creed has "it" for me. For the first time since AC2, I feel they've put an element of perfection in the game. It was totally worth the money and time! Expand
  63. Nov 11, 2013
    I love this game really.The naval combat, the regular combat, the environments the gameplay(for the most part) and i dare say the story is pretty good.And the meld between assassins and pirates is excellent.But i have 2 main problems that really annoyed me.First the stealth mechanics are poor, basicly the only thing you are worrying about is that the enemy doesn't see you, other thanI love this game really.The naval combat, the regular combat, the environments the gameplay(for the most part) and i dare say the story is pretty good.And the meld between assassins and pirates is excellent.But i have 2 main problems that really annoyed me.First the stealth mechanics are poor, basicly the only thing you are worrying about is that the enemy doesn't see you, other than that you can just freerun behind them and they wont even know a thing(before you backstab them hehe), so basicly sound stealth mechanics are missing from the game.The second problem i have is with the missions, they are dull as f*ck Edward go stalk those guys, Edward go eavesdrop on those guys, Edward go assassinate those guys, Edward sneakingly infiltrate a base but you are not actually going to do that you will just kill everyone with the first chance you get then get to a checkpoint.That pretty much sums up 50% of the missions.Over all a great game, whether you have ps3 xbox 360 pc ps4 xbox one you should buy this game. Expand
  64. Jan 25, 2014
    Unbelievable for the high reviews. Don't you find this game has very little content, but self copy again and again like bacteria so as to create an epic elusion?

That's true there are many mini games sprinkled on map...randomly..., but every time you play it, it just repeats the same animation. More annoying is that you have to waste time very long to finish one. Naval battle is in

Naval battle is in fact very boring, what all you do is just playing circling game with rival ship to find a good angle to shoot, again and again. If you want to board, you have to waste another 10 mins, during which you just encounter same enemy, same animation, same music and same boarding missions, utterly boring and annoying. But in return, you only gain double loot. The loot is just a form of EXP for your ship, nothing special. So I prefer directly wrecking the rival ship, then gaining even half loot spending just 5 seconds.

The environment is really visually-tiring, just same coastlines with randomly planted trees.
    The city is very flat, constructed with several pattern of normal buildings randomly composed, Nor historical landmarks or classical/elegant internal architecture at all!!!(Recall what was in AC II is so memorable). The designer boasts the environment is epic... Don't fool us, designing this random and repetitive will cost you very little efforts, you know, lazy. We want diverse and elegant content. I have to say, in AC II, climbing to the peak of buildings to overlook the city is my favorite. However in AC IV, I never do this again because of the so lack-of-characteristic scene.

What about main story? I have forgotten most of it. What is left is just some repetitive trailing and killing missions. In addition, a strong anxiety/confusion is why the hell does he wear like an assassin?
    The confusion makes me very lack of motivation to continue the game because, in instinct, a strong feeling is that he has no soul of assassin which however is forced to be titled on him by dev so as to be coherent with the franchise.

After a 4-hour playing, I felt this game is very shabby and hollow, full of random and repetitive mechanism, lack of soul of assassin, with little and tricky effort from dev who seems to have found a lazy way to create an addictive game.
    IMO, it is reasonable for a game to have a certain amount of random and repetitive mechanism to extend gaming time and save cost for dev, but in AC IV , this conduct is too obvious, excessive and aggressive. In other words, the dev are taking customers as fool. This is unacceptable.

I tried this because of good impression from AC II. Ok, now, I know this franchise has faded. Good bye.
  65. Oct 30, 2015
    Best action adventure open-world game and great environment and one of the best games in that year and assassin's creed franchise and the next two games unity and syndicate are having awesome gameplay content.
  66. Nov 6, 2013
    Beautiful as Renaissance paintings, Assassin Creed games are also incredibly fun,i.e., acrobatic
    maneuvering; exploration and discovery, thrill of the kill, etc. For all the greatness, I can't help
    but wish that Ubisoft would invest more time in refining stealth and combat. All too often, the enemy AI is repetitive, dumb, and oblivious. Combat doesn't approach the challenge, diversity,
    and joy of say a "Demon's Souls" or "Witcher 2". Still, with winter fast approaching, it's great
    being in the Caribbean!
  67. Nov 27, 2013
    There's no way I could give it a lower score. AC IV is what AC III should have been and it's even more. It takes everything its predecessor has done right like the smooth movements, fluid, brutal fights and naval combats and improves to make them even better. It brings back the "Assassin's Creed" feeling that had been lost in AC III, because they also took references from past games, likeThere's no way I could give it a lower score. AC IV is what AC III should have been and it's even more. It takes everything its predecessor has done right like the smooth movements, fluid, brutal fights and naval combats and improves to make them even better. It brings back the "Assassin's Creed" feeling that had been lost in AC III, because they also took references from past games, like the insuperable AC II. Nothing feels repetitive and boring; and talking about "boring", Edward is a WAY more interesting character than Connor was, I don't even know why he is Connor's grandfather, because his personality remembers me more of Ezio's than Connor's. He's womanizer, funny, smart, and very serious about his business. The game visuals are outstanding, the environments are rich, even the AI is improved. Missions are more diversified and Ubisoft has even implemented a mission review system. After completing a mission, you simply fill up to 5 stars and send them as a notice of how much you enjoyed that mission, it's very cool. Expand
  68. Nov 18, 2013
    It's simply pitiful. This game, is pitiful. And the fact that reviewers as well as the public are deep in Ubisoft's pocket is even more pitiful. To put things simply: Assassin's Creed 4: Blackflag is simply Assassin's Creed 3 with every bit of its annoying-ness multiplied by 10. Among the constant nagging from Ubisoft for feedback, going online, etc... the horribly predictable story sameIt's simply pitiful. This game, is pitiful. And the fact that reviewers as well as the public are deep in Ubisoft's pocket is even more pitiful. To put things simply: Assassin's Creed 4: Blackflag is simply Assassin's Creed 3 with every bit of its annoying-ness multiplied by 10. Among the constant nagging from Ubisoft for feedback, going online, etc... the horribly predictable story same intro, same structure, same flow, same bull ending that doesn't seem to lead the series anywhere), the repetitive, dull combat/ fetch gameplay brought back from previous titles, Assassin's Creed has now won the title of the most milked, exploit and exhausted franchise ever. Ubisoft doesn't seem to realize that the game is called Assassin's Creed, not farmville or battleship. I don't ever think anyone comes to a game called "Assassin's Creed" looking to spend hours on a ship slugging around the oceans and running around collecting "crafting ingredients". Such an respected franchise is now dumbed down to this. The reason is pretty evident: 1 game per year, can anyone believe it? Such a short span in development can never result in a worthy product. Gamers have been wondering as to why the gaming industry is standing still with little progress. That fact kept me thinking that when recycled pieces of trash like this get tossed around, people will at least stand up to them or ignore them. But no, they get glowing reviews, cash flows in their pockets and the cycle goes on. Now I just need to wait for more c*****, half baked DLCs to come around until this score becomes 1. Expand
  69. Nov 26, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 4: 90% pirate, 10% assassin. To see a summary of this review scroll to the end.

Ubisoft went ahead and did the obvious. They took, the best part of Assassin's Creed 3, really the only really good part, and made a game out of it. Literally, they retrofitted the game engine used in the previous title into this a new game, while barely adding or changing anything. This whole game felt like an AC 3.1, rather than a new title.. which, I wouldn't have had a problem with, if they would have fixed the problems that plagued AC3, or actually gave us a good, satisfying story, like AC2, but they didn't.

Assassin's Creed wasn't particularly good when it came to game mechanics, AC1 and 2 were kind of bad actually, instead, it was built by it's amazing storytelling, beautiful setting, and wonderful soundtrack. I still listen to Ezio's Family by Jesper Kyd from AC2. That song brings back a kind of emotions that I rarely feel with games. AC4, however delivers only one of these, the setting. I'm going to start by criticizing the story itself. It's terrible. First off, it has nothing to do with Assassins, they barely make a cameo appearance, both inside and outside the Animus. The whole game revolves around pirates, and that wouldn't be a problem, if it was a good story. And it starts out good, but then it gets riddled with plot holes, poor writing, scenes that don't make sense, and although they stayed away from the obvious parrot cliches, they added a bunch of them story-wise. The story does make a few twists, but most of them you'll see coming a mily away, and most of them don't make sense. There is no main enemy in the game, and most of the things that happen in the game make no sense. And if you were expecting a great ending.. don't.. it is terrible. The only plot-twist you won't see coming in this game is the ending.. they drop it on you out of nowhere, just when you were expecting the game would truly begin, and then they hit you in the face with a poorly done cutscene, and leave you confused.

Here's a tip, dear Ubisoft. A story, every story, follows 5 basic steps, not necessarily in this order: Exposition, Rising Action, Progression, Climax, Ending. The 4th is completely missing, and the fifth leaves you confused, when it should leave you satisfied.

Then there are the actual missions in the story. Boring, repetitive and most of them don't make sense. All you do is follow this guy, eavesdrop on that guy. And on rare occasions you kill someone. Missions involving ships can be interesting, but at times they are the same boring "follow that ship" nonsense. In comparison with GTA 5, or Red Dead Redemption, where every mission was unique and intriguing, here they are boring, unimaginative and repetitive. The same goes for side missions. Assassinations, Naval Missions and Templar Hunts. All of them are basically the same. If you did one then you did all, there's no point in continuing. You play through it once, but you won't want to play through it a second time.

What saves the game is the beautiful and huge open world game, the side activities(not missions) and the naval combat. The setting is really amazing, although some fans of the series will find it irritating that you won't visit cities that much, only a couple times, and they are small with not a lot of things to do, the setting just didn't allow for that. Most of the time you will do what the game is all about: pirating. Naval combat is really fun, and it's been expanded upon a lot.: you can board ships, capture them, steal their cargo and send them to your fleet, you can attack naval forts and capture them. You can use those resources to upgrade your ship and so on. There are also underwater places you can explore, but there are limited, and in comparison with GTAV, where there was an entire open-world you could explore, here there are only ten locations, but it still looks great, and avoiding sharks and medusas is great fun. You can also raid plantations, which are a ton of fun... basically the side activities are really great, and make this game enjoyable, even though the story brings it down.

In summary, it looks like this game was made just so Ubisoft can make more money off of the ship mechanics in AC3. Combat and land based mechanics are basically the same as the previous game, although they did need changing and improving. The game engine is the same as it was in the third title, with very little improvement, or change, when it, again needed it. And all of this would not be a problem if the game offered a good story, but it doesn't. The story seems like an excuse to sell an adapted version of AC3, and the story is driven by the game mechanics, and not vice versa. Luckily the beautiful setting, graphics and excellent pirate game save the game and prop up the rating to a 6/10. You can't help but feel, if they only spent a little bit more time, and wouldn't pump out a game every year, it could've been an amazing game.
  70. Dec 29, 2013
    Jogo fantástico, quem tiver a oportunidade JOGUE.
    Comprei este jogo sem muitas expectativas (pois já havia enjoado do universo de Assassins Creed no 2° jogo da franquia), mesmo assim, após ver a temática nova do jogo fui correndo comprar.
    MEU, QUE JOGO ESSE?
    Se vc gosta de assassinos compre, se vc gosta de piratas compre, se vc gosta de gta com barcos compre, resumindo: JOGÃO!
  71. Dec 12, 2013
    I love this series.but I had to take 2 games back because they would freeze up on my PS3 .i cleaned the lens but the problem is still there. Hasn't happened to any other games just this one. It really sucks.
  72. May 20, 2014
    This game is so flawless in so many ways. The main one being the core controls and, simply, the way it feels when you walk and move the camera around. This is the smoothest third-person game out there. The controls for the game are and have always been artful, in that, if you use them incorrectly, the game will look and feel clunky. But if you use them correctly, the game will look andThis game is so flawless in so many ways. The main one being the core controls and, simply, the way it feels when you walk and move the camera around. This is the smoothest third-person game out there. The controls for the game are and have always been artful, in that, if you use them incorrectly, the game will look and feel clunky. But if you use them correctly, the game will look and feel absolutely magical. Everything about this game feels amazing: Walking, running, climbing, jumping, blending, hiding, sword fighting, fist fighting, hidden-blade stabbing, knife throwing, rope-darting, assassinating, sailing, swimming, diving, hunting, treasure hunting, whale/shark hunting, cannon firing, fort storming, exploring, chasing, fleeing, drinking, blow-piping, pistol shooting, parkouring, plundering, pillaging, pirating... In my book, this is THE game. The best and most ultimate game there is to date. The only thing I don't like about this game is that it is so awesome that it puts other, decent games to shame and makes them looks worse than they really are. But, I guess everyone is spoiled by their own seflish and specific expectations.

p.s. The multiplayer is the most innovative, deeply engaging, online gameplay that I've ever experienced.
  73. Mar 27, 2014
    Better the the third game, great story, characteres and also has a better unique gameplay and combat system, definitely worth playing if you're a fan of this saga.
  74. Dec 28, 2014
    Ac4 is a great ac game. I got 100% completion on it and it wasn't that boring. The whole game revolves around being a pirate exploring the carribean whether you be at sea fighting a man o war or hunting in the jungles for rare animal to get his expensive hide for an upgraded pouch this game is bloody pure fun. The story isn't all that amazing but it works but this game could have workedAc4 is a great ac game. I got 100% completion on it and it wasn't that boring. The whole game revolves around being a pirate exploring the carribean whether you be at sea fighting a man o war or hunting in the jungles for rare animal to get his expensive hide for an upgraded pouch this game is bloody pure fun. The story isn't all that amazing but it works but this game could have worked just as well if it were a pirate game without the rare assassins bits it carries over from ac3. the game has modern day sequences where you can do little mini games and puzzles like frogger to hack into abstergos computers and uncover their secrets. The game includes the multiplayer feature which is pretty much copy and pasted from ac3 which had some new cool things in it, multiplayer is ac3 with a pirate theme not much and I only could play it for a short amount of period time though but all asides from that ac4 is a great game and worth buying even for those who aren't full on AC fanc Expand
  75. Jan 25, 2015
    This game is the best I ever played. The graphics are so good. The gameplay is cool. The ship battle is awesome.This is the best assassins creed game ever. I beat all four legendary ships. This game costs every penny.
  76. Oct 29, 2013
    Possibly the 2nd best game of this year, first being Grand Theft Auto V. Too bad Watch_Dogs has been delayed. Some say that Black Flag won't have the Assassin element anymore. Truth is, not only did the game stay true to its core theme, but it's mixed the core element with an ecstatic spice of piracy. All in all, the game might have yet another disappointing main storyline like in AC3Possibly the 2nd best game of this year, first being Grand Theft Auto V. Too bad Watch_Dogs has been delayed. Some say that Black Flag won't have the Assassin element anymore. Truth is, not only did the game stay true to its core theme, but it's mixed the core element with an ecstatic spice of piracy. All in all, the game might have yet another disappointing main storyline like in AC3 (again, highly unlikely), but it also promises hardcore open-world gameplay. Expand
  77. Nov 3, 2013
    Game of the year, calling it here right now. The only problem I could find with the game is how repetitive it can get. But they did improve a ton compared to the horrible atrocity to the serious, Assassin's Creed 3.
  78. Nov 10, 2013
    best assassins creed easily... I thought nothing could top assassins creed 2 but this game... what a suprise, I honestly didn't expect a game this good. Congratz to ubisoft, since the addition of the multiplayer and the yearly releases I saw this franchise going downhill and turning into another disgrace like call of duty but AC4 has totally changed my mind. So much stuff has beenbest assassins creed easily... I thought nothing could top assassins creed 2 but this game... what a suprise, I honestly didn't expect a game this good. Congratz to ubisoft, since the addition of the multiplayer and the yearly releases I saw this franchise going downhill and turning into another disgrace like call of duty but AC4 has totally changed my mind. So much stuff has been changed, the only thing that makes me associate AC4 with AC3 is the "walking on trees" feature. Even the naval aspect (which was pretty good in AC3) is so much better. It brings the best out of all the games and so much more. Expand
  79. hbk
    Nov 18, 2013
    i m a great fan of assasins creed series....this game is really awesome and outstanding in all aspects...i had played all the games{gta 5,call of duty ghosts adn battlefield 4} but in my opinion no other game can compete with AC 4 BLACKFLAG and i wish it will get GOTY
  80. Oct 31, 2013
    Oye Oye Oye... Worth to buy. I can guaranttee you it is the best release of AC series. From the begining it is superb. The special effects and the SEA is awesome. Memories and sequesce reload option is great. And feedback option is good as well you can rate the memory after completing it. World is huge. and many more.
  81. Nov 16, 2013
    This is the pirate game you never knew you always wanted! And just to clarify, it is just that: a pirate game, and a bloody good one. Think Sid Meyer's "Pirates" realised in 3D with all the trappings you'd expect: ship battles, harpooning, ship boarding and treasure hunting to name but some of the main activities you'll experience out on the open sea, all of which are great fun!

But

But then it's also an Assassin's creed game and as such has all the usual on-land activities we've come to expect from the series. And while there haven't been any major overhauls on these activities most have been tweaked and tightened and are as much fun as they've always been.

But again, the most fun to be had with this game is out on the open water, and searching and earning the materials needed to upgrade your ship is extremely addictive. Hours would go by where I was nowhere near the main story and still having a whale (ahem) of a time and that is the sign of a great open world game.

This game only loses a mark because yes, there are a few bugs, though they're nothing close to intrusive and combat (especially when taking place on a crowded enemy ship) can be a little messy and confusing, though for the most part still good fun.

Even if you've become tired of this series, which to be fair, could benefit from a little more polishing and not being released EVERY year, this has enough fresh and fun ideas to be worthy of your time. And clocking in at over 50 hours on a play through, including most of the side quests, is terrific value for money!
  82. Nov 11, 2013
    This is really an AMAZING game,with great graphics,great story and great gameplay,with lots of things to do and explore,but even great games are not perfect,you can find some glitches and all the combat system is too easy,they better put a harder difficulty setting next time.
    But overall this game is fantastic,it is the best Assassin's Creed game since AC 2 (my personal favorite),if you are a fan of the series and didn't enjoy AC 3 very much like me,relax because this game is much better.
  83. Nov 5, 2013
    You like pirates? You like AC? If you answered yes then you will LOVE this game. Even though it is more a pirate game then ac because, well, you are a pirate. You have a ship, crew mates, and do pirate things. That being said it is still an ac game in the way the free running and assassinations/combat go but once you get out on the beautiful seas it shifts full focus to pirates then theYou like pirates? You like AC? If you answered yes then you will LOVE this game. Even though it is more a pirate game then ac because, well, you are a pirate. You have a ship, crew mates, and do pirate things. That being said it is still an ac game in the way the free running and assassinations/combat go but once you get out on the beautiful seas it shifts full focus to pirates then the creed. Assassins are still part of the story but the main draw here is the golden age of piracy. It's a great game in both regards. The best pirate game ever made and the best ac game in the series. The graphics on ps3 are fantastic and at times mindblowingly beautiful. The game has the best looking water effects and oceans I've ever seen in a game(besides gta v oceans) the ship combat is addicting and open world is full of things to do. I am only on sequence 3 but the story is pretty good. There is just so much to say about this game but I recommend you play this yourself. It is a highly entertaining experience that pirate fans and ac fans will love. Expand
  84. Nov 2, 2013
    The game features original stealth system and a beautiful open world!A great story,good graphic.The game is enclosed in one original ecosystem!The game has something Activities
  85. Nov 4, 2013
    Fun, the best after AC2, I've just finished the history and I still want more naval battles and more trips around islands...... A good game, really enjoyable..
  86. Nov 3, 2013
    The gameplay is great. The fighting for me is better than it was in previous games. Pirates thing is quite nice. And boat fights are pretty great. But I was disappointed very much with the general storyline (DESMOND, PRESENT DAYS STORYLINE). No questions answered, some new stupid questions raised and basically those new questions are not so important. So after playing this game, lookingThe gameplay is great. The fighting for me is better than it was in previous games. Pirates thing is quite nice. And boat fights are pretty great. But I was disappointed very much with the general storyline (DESMOND, PRESENT DAYS STORYLINE). No questions answered, some new stupid questions raised and basically those new questions are not so important. So after playing this game, looking from the storyline point of view you can say that you found out absolutely nothing that could interest you. People may skip this game and move on to the following part, which will be probably show up next year and won't feel that they missed something. Anyway, disappointing. Expand
  87. Oct 5, 2014
    I love Assassin's Creed but Black Flag was a let down to me. I know the game is set in the Golden Age of Piracy but the thing that bothers me the most is the game revolves too much around naval warfare and naval travel. The story feels neglected to me, the game is not as strong as it could have been. In this game you spend a lot of time trying to earn money to upgrade your ship so you canI love Assassin's Creed but Black Flag was a let down to me. I know the game is set in the Golden Age of Piracy but the thing that bothers me the most is the game revolves too much around naval warfare and naval travel. The story feels neglected to me, the game is not as strong as it could have been. In this game you spend a lot of time trying to earn money to upgrade your ship so you can progress through the game and these upgrades are very expensive and takes a long time to afford. The naval warfare gets boring really fast because it's so simple. Many people are probably going to disagree with me for writing this but to me Edward Kenway is not really an assassin. At least not compared to Altair, Ezio and Connor. I know he is a pirate but he is a sad drunk who only cares about rich and fame. Edward did not earn the assassin title, clothes or the weapons. He just took it and it didn't really mean ANYTHING to him. I remember playing as Altair where you had to regain your rank through assignments, or as Ezio and Connor where they took on massive responsibilities to avenge their family and get justice. Expand
  88. Nov 4, 2013
    I was a little worried at buying this game, even though I had already read a few reviews that said it was better than any of the other AC games. I had played every AC and after AC3 I said that I wouldn't buy another one until the game became something worth wasting time playing. Black flag is that game. It is incredible, magnifique, and worth throwing some dinero at. All the glory of navalI was a little worried at buying this game, even though I had already read a few reviews that said it was better than any of the other AC games. I had played every AC and after AC3 I said that I wouldn't buy another one until the game became something worth wasting time playing. Black flag is that game. It is incredible, magnifique, and worth throwing some dinero at. All the glory of naval combat is worth the price of admission as it is, let alone plundering islands, stealing money and goods from plantations, and discovering new locations of the sea. Recruiting the crew and upgrading your beautiful ship are other small parts of the game that make it even more fun. You can spend hours at sea (literally) and be completely satisfied with your gaming experience. Throw some money and go be a pirate! Expand
  89. Nov 5, 2013
    This is the best AC so far, great graphics and smooth game play..and as ever some good story and relaxing soundtrack..mixed with the android app so you can send your fleet on missions it makes for a nd fun and realistic game play..
  90. Nov 7, 2013
    When i bought Black Flag I expected the same repetitive game as it was in the other Assassin Creed games and it was for the most part which isn't a bad thing however I wished they changed the controlls back to AC1 and AC2 but thats not the point. What really suprised me was the naval gameplay portion of the game. There is so much to explore on the seas for it is your only means of travelWhen i bought Black Flag I expected the same repetitive game as it was in the other Assassin Creed games and it was for the most part which isn't a bad thing however I wished they changed the controlls back to AC1 and AC2 but thats not the point. What really suprised me was the naval gameplay portion of the game. There is so much to explore on the seas for it is your only means of travel instead of moving through waypoints on land. you can Board other ships and steal their resources to make your ship even stronger. Then there are the naval convoys and my favorite part the Legendary Ships (these things are like floating islands). I have spent 25 hours of the game just on the seas exploring and clearing islands before touching the story. I took off one point because the story is weak but does touch back to AC3 so no spoilers however I feel this game should of ended there now they are trying to milk it lol). I say This game is a must buy Expand
  91. Nov 11, 2013
    This game would've get a 10/10 if it didn't have a certain 'legacy' to protect. As a pirate game this was nearly excellent, but the true beaut is in the pace changing of the game. There are awesome and huge naval battles, but there is also a great stealth system. The greatness is that both of these work well and both of them have their places. The story is something new and the charactersThis game would've get a 10/10 if it didn't have a certain 'legacy' to protect. As a pirate game this was nearly excellent, but the true beaut is in the pace changing of the game. There are awesome and huge naval battles, but there is also a great stealth system. The greatness is that both of these work well and both of them have their places. The story is something new and the characters we're unique and mostly very entertaining.

But to me, that isn't what the series are all about. To me, it's about the feeling, the spirit! You have to feel that you're the goddamn angel of death. I felt that when running in the roofs of Venice, but since that it has been facing away. Here it has returned, with the feeling of freedom that Caribbean offers. Endless activities and places to visit, the weather simulations, the crew singing, the ocean! All of those are great and they all make this the 2nd best game in the series this far.

I recommend this game to everyone because of it's versatility. Both new players and long-time AC-fan like me will find something to like in it.
  92. Nov 16, 2013
    Best assasin's game I have ever played. Climate, graphics, not too much run. Of course ships battles, great pleasure to be on the sail and board some spanish ship
  93. Nov 17, 2013
    It's difficult to describe this game, if you look at it from the pirate aspect then no doubt you can see why this game is fun but when you look at it from the Assassin's Creed aspect, then this game is just a downright train-wreck, Where is the stealth? Why has this franchise suddenly become obsessed with pirates? Not to mention the poorly written storyline that they scribbled together forIt's difficult to describe this game, if you look at it from the pirate aspect then no doubt you can see why this game is fun but when you look at it from the Assassin's Creed aspect, then this game is just a downright train-wreck, Where is the stealth? Why has this franchise suddenly become obsessed with pirates? Not to mention the poorly written storyline that they scribbled together for this game, I personally think Ubisoft is just desperately trying to make this franchise all that and more and they are failing at it, but then again I gave it a 3 because when you play this game and forget the other Assassin's Creed games and their plots, then yes the game can be some-what enjoyable but to all the die-hard Assassin's Creed fans, like myself, I strongly recommend that you DON'T buy this game, it has become clear Assassin's Creed is turning into Call of Duty, expect another similar or below-average sequel next year from Ubisoft for the same 60 dollars you keep wishing you had back............ Expand
  94. Nov 5, 2013
    Best of series outside of Assassin's Creed 2. Love the open world combat and I love that they throw you right into the action as opposed to Assassin's Creed 3's five hour long tutorial. I love completing each island in the hope of fully upgrading my ship. Only issue being that Uplay kicked out every once in a while stopping me from playing the Kenway's Fleet minigame.
  95. Nov 8, 2013
    Much like previous Assassin's Creed games, this one is pretty much the same. The story is bland and unoriginal. Although, the pirates and boat sailing alone make this title worthy of playing. While the story is.. well.. lame, the boating and combat is fantastic. Piloting your boat in the ocean with your crew singing shanties is one of the most fun things i've done in a video game, butMuch like previous Assassin's Creed games, this one is pretty much the same. The story is bland and unoriginal. Although, the pirates and boat sailing alone make this title worthy of playing. While the story is.. well.. lame, the boating and combat is fantastic. Piloting your boat in the ocean with your crew singing shanties is one of the most fun things i've done in a video game, but unfortunately, i can't score this game high because of the bland, unoriginal story. Not to mention that there are many performance issues and bugs. Unlike most reviewers, I will take the bugs into account. I noticed framerate going from around 30 down to 24-22 FPS which is an unacceptable drop. Overall, it's a decent game, but I'd wait for the price to drop before you even think about picking it up.

5/10.
  96. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is amazing The exploration is the best thing. the combat was upgraded and so was the counter system well worth the price. usually i can play AC for an hour at most but with black flag i have to force myself to put the controller down.
  97. Oct 29, 2013
    Very nice new scenery and things to explore, it's starting to feel less and less like an assassination game. This doesn't mean that it's bad, but just it might not be what you expect from the AC franchise. I enjoyed most of the story, while sometimes it felt forced and dull. The pirate aspect can get repetitive more than previous installations. All in all, a quite good game, butVery nice new scenery and things to explore, it's starting to feel less and less like an assassination game. This doesn't mean that it's bad, but just it might not be what you expect from the AC franchise. I enjoyed most of the story, while sometimes it felt forced and dull. The pirate aspect can get repetitive more than previous installations. All in all, a quite good game, but personally I didn't enjoy the pirate aspect as much as you probably might. Try it for yourself and see how it goes! Expand
  98. Nov 9, 2013
    Easily the best game in the Assassin's Creed franchise. After the low that was Assassin's Creed 3, I think most fans can agree that we were worried about the next AC being a disappointment, as well.

Connor was probably the most disliked AC character to date, with his monotone, mediocre voice-acting and overall dull "must do right" character. Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a

Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a much lighter tone to the franchise, akin to Jack Sparrow.

The story is great. The combat, crafting, free-running and everything else has all been revamped. I bought this game the day it came out and it has quickly become my favorite Assassin's Creed.

Can't wait for the PC release, already have it pre-ordered.
  99. Nov 5, 2013
    It took me a while to make an honest opinion. Those who wrote their comments on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd day, didn't wrote a review after understanding the game.

In start you just feel that graphics has been improved in much much much better way. Then as the story passes you feel newness and new strategies. I bet you cant explore the whole world in 2 or 3 days. There is lot lot lot to explore and lotto do. Pirates part is beautiful. Castle are superb. Graphics are of high class. Missions has new tactics. I can write a lot on it.

It is the best game.
  100. Nov 2, 2013
    If you are looking for a game that will immerse you in its amazing atmosphere and world with dynamic graphics and different ways to analyze the gameplay look no further AC4 is here and this is the boost the franchise needed way back when Ac Brotherhood was announced.The problem is in the multiplayer it is fun for about 9-12 hours of playing but after that well i guess you have to findIf you are looking for a game that will immerse you in its amazing atmosphere and world with dynamic graphics and different ways to analyze the gameplay look no further AC4 is here and this is the boost the franchise needed way back when Ac Brotherhood was announced.The problem is in the multiplayer it is fun for about 9-12 hours of playing but after that well i guess you have to find something else to do Expand

1. CD-Action
    Dec 13, 2013
    All the distinguishing features of the series – the Templars, parkour and brutal assassinations – are here, but now they are not the core, they are just elements of the best pirate game ever, of a Red Dead Redemption at sea. [13/2013, p.52]
  2. Nov 16, 2013
    Black Flag is a remarkably new take on the series, and I would go as far to say it’s the finest entry we’ve seen to date.
  3. Nov 15, 2013
    With the new Assassin’s Creed we find ourselves in the Caribbean with a new main character called Edward Kenway. Black Flag focuses on the sea battles we saw in the third game and continues with this, with some new additions. Overall, you’ll be busy for a while – 40 hours, give or take – but the story isn’t that compelling.