7.7

1. Oct 25, 2013
    The cape is finally black, and there are no man panties in sight. Now Rocksteady should learn to make a serviceable Batman by omitting the absurd blue/purple cape and briefs, their Batman design is a walking paradox.
    P.S. The grey belt is nice, keep that too.
  2. Oct 29, 2013
    The game suffers from technical issues. After fast travelling in the batwing the framerate starts dropping causing the game to become literally unplayabale. As far as content the story seems rushed and by far not as polished as the previous installations of arkham.

In Asylum and City it was clear that you would only meet thugs cause you were battling through prisons. But I'm left wondering why on earth every character in origins is a thug. There are no normal NPS in the whole of Gotham. None at all.

Overall in comparison to the previous Arkham games this one is a massive dissapointment.
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    Clearly the weakest entry into the series. Being that the mechanics and engine are the same as the first two, the devs missed an chance to focus on the story.
  4. Feb 10, 2014
    The game was decent, it was fun but not as great as either of the last two but I'm giving it a zero because Warner Bros Games still hasn't fixed any of the major bugs in the game and apparently doesn't plan too as they are "too busy working on dlc for the game" to actually fix the freaking game, and I cannot support that in any way.
  5. Dec 26, 2013
    I love this game! Being a big fan of Batman and the comics as well growing up, this has a darker feel to it than the original Batman Arkham Asylum game. I haven't played Arkham City just yet, but I love the story around this game and just how human it makes Batman. He really gets his ass kicked throughout this game and you do really feel like he is in his early years of crime fighting.I love this game! Being a big fan of Batman and the comics as well growing up, this has a darker feel to it than the original Batman Arkham Asylum game. I haven't played Arkham City just yet, but I love the story around this game and just how human it makes Batman. He really gets his ass kicked throughout this game and you do really feel like he is in his early years of crime fighting. The game, like Batman in it, is not as polished as the Rocksteady Arkham Asylum, and is rough around the edges with glitches, but over all, I enjoy the story a lot more and am really impressed with the voice acting. I would play this game again and again because of how much I enjoy it! I think if WB Montreal does continue with the Arkham series they have this fan's blessing! Expand
  6. Aug 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When you hand off your franchise to another studio, it's a hard move to make. Rocksteady have done this to please fans while they work on the series-ender Arkham Knight and at first, I wasn't sure if this would work. They gave us a brilliant superhero game in the form of Arkham Asylum and then improved upon it in every way with City- which is widely considered to be the greatest licensed game of all time. Arkham Origins is a chance for WB Montreal to show us what they've got and it's also a chance to jump back into the Arkham universe and embrace the old mechanics before Knight swings around. It's a chance that is definitely successful.

The strongest part of the game is its narrative. However, this won't be obvious to you when you first boot up. The idea is that it's two years into Batman's career on a Christmas night. Gang boss Black Mask has become tired of the hero and has set a 50 million dollar bounty on the Bat's head that eight assassins plan to acquire. Killer Croc, Bane, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Firefly, Lady Shiva, Electrocutioner and a female Copperhead are up to the task and the Bat is bracing for an epic night. After the effective beginning, we're off to Gotham City. A young Riddler is messing around, Penguin is up to his old tricks, Deathstroke is keen for the money and Mad Hatter is even mucking around. I was overwhelmed by the constant villain reveals and was prepared to write the game's story off. Then a sudden smile spread across the screen as the Joker popped up. His introduction is fairly ridiculous, but it is an excellent twist and one that works. After Joker appears the whole plot just straightens out and everything seems to become so clear. In fact, I'd say that this could be the best plot in the whole series- it certainly works and the climax is excellent.

Another win for the game is its amount of content. The side missions return and they're better than ever, with each mission following a certain villain. They usually end in a nice battle and incorporate plenty of cool investigation scenarios and combat sequences. Along with the side quests, there are also riddles returning. This time they aren't much more than breakable/collectible objects, but the radio towers are perplexing, well thought out challenges that always end in you getting the reward of a fast travel point. The challenge mode also returns and it's slightly expanded. Like the rest of the game, WB Montreal have stuck to the basics, but added their own spin on parts. The ranked challenges are fairly similar to their former counterparts, as are the campaign and custom challenges. There is a lot of content here and the new training challenges make up a small part of the mode, but they are surprisingly enjoyable and help you grasp the mechanics of the game if you're a newbie. Of course, concept art, themes and character models are all valuable objects to unlock and everything seems to go towards 100%. You can also access the challenges from the Batcave now- which is kind of like a hub.

One part where the game kind of disappointed me was in the open world. Not that it's small- it certainly isn't. Not that it isn't detailed- there is a lot to find and do. Not that there aren't any civilians- while the reason is lousy (they're all inside), I don't think it would suit the game to have people wandering the streets. It's because of the bugs and the small amount of Easter eggs. While none of the glitches were game breaking, they smash your immersion and the lack of big references (like the Scarecrow boat in City) is a little disappointing. It isn't enough to really damage the game though.

The gameplay itself is excellent, even if highly familiar. Combat is highly refined and requires maximum concentration and great response time. There are new animations and upgrades that flesh it out and the scoring system is rewarding and well implemented. Stealth is also tense once again and the new enemies mix things up. The gadgets are slightly overpowered this time, but I love the remote grapnel and the shock gloves give you a good feeling as they activate. The gliding and traversal is pretty much the same as what we got in Arkham City and is still fluid- it also helps that the cape is black.

Finally, Origins has a multiplayer mode. It has a great levelling system, plenty of customization options and a few large maps. However, it only comes with one mode (new modes and maps are planned for future updates) and it's hard to get a game seeing as how there is no drop in. The gameplay is nice though, with Batman and Robin feeling good and the other thugs making for interesting variations. The shooting is great and playing as the big bosses is rewarding- Bane is cool.

To wrap things up, Arkham Origins is a great prequel. It's the same gameplay, just with a larger open world, a better narrative and surprisingly enjoyable multiplayer. It's also a great jumping on point for newbies- though City shouldn't be dismissed!
  7. Dec 8, 2013
    Phenomenal game you feel like you're Batman and as a result a BADASS. Incredible story and gameplay is as usual, awesome. Visuals are very good and the sounds are impressive, just like any blockbuster Batman movie.
    Only drawback is that there's no real change from previous titles, which isn't necessarily a con. A must for Batman fans.
  8. Nov 17, 2013
    Yes, the game rests surely on the shoulders of previous two titles, and those awaiting new thrills may be unpleasantly surprised. One must remember though, that Arkham City wasn't any more innovative to Arkham Asylum than Origins is to AC. That doesn't mean AO isn't innovative at all it features a large, beautiful world which makes Arkham from AC look and feel like a sandbox and brand-newYes, the game rests surely on the shoulders of previous two titles, and those awaiting new thrills may be unpleasantly surprised. One must remember though, that Arkham City wasn't any more innovative to Arkham Asylum than Origins is to AC. That doesn't mean AO isn't innovative at all it features a large, beautiful world which makes Arkham from AC look and feel like a sandbox and brand-new Dexter-like case solving adventures. It doesn't fail to live up to its name, either, focusing heavily on the origins of how Batman came to be. It's exciting to see the before stories, knowing well how they will turn out in the future, not to mention the psychological aspect of those stories is well presented and simply makes sense. Gordon is younger, Barbara can walk, Enigma is not yet the Riddler, and we are unaware of this character named Joker (beautifully played, by the way). As for those who are disappointed with the lack of innovations it is an origins game, which means introducing too many of new things that obviously are not in the later games would be ridiculous and would make the game story suffer.
    It is a large game, two days is enough to pass the main story plus countless hours to finish the game 100%. I strongly recommend it Origins stands boldly in the series and certainly doesn't bring shame to the trilogy.
  9. Nov 17, 2013
    While not as amazing with Rocksteady's Arkham Asylum and City, WB Games Montreal still manages to create a great Batman game. The story is well-written and the boss fights are epic, especially with Deathstroke.
  10. Nov 2, 2013
    If it's not broke don't fix it has proved right for Batman. Arkham origins is essentially Arkham City but with a few added areas and a new story. I was hoping the gameplay would reflect the story that Batman is new and inexperienced but he goes into the game with all moves/gadgets from Arkham City which is slightly disappointing. There are a few new gadgets but one of these (the remoteIf it's not broke don't fix it has proved right for Batman. Arkham origins is essentially Arkham City but with a few added areas and a new story. I was hoping the gameplay would reflect the story that Batman is new and inexperienced but he goes into the game with all moves/gadgets from Arkham City which is slightly disappointing. There are a few new gadgets but one of these (the remote claw) is unbalanced for the predator encounters and essentially gives you 2-3 free takedowns which lowers the difficulty. The boss battles were entertaining and almost make you forget the awful bosses of Arkham Asylum, with Deathstroke and Copperhead the highlights. It's worth mentioning Troy Baker does a terrific job playing the Joker and I hope he gets the same in the inevitable next-gen Batman game. There a few bugs on PS3 mainly with slowdown, interrogation targets being stuck in walls and a batwing drop directly into two sniper crosshairs which are irritating. The story ending build up was good but the final animations annoyed me as it felt like it took you out oft he game which is a personal complaint as I like to feel drawn into stories. Overall an 8/10. Not as good as Arkham City which was fantastic but a solid instalment in the series. Expand
  11. Nov 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ever since I finished playing Arkham City I couldn't wait for the third installment. The gameplay didn't feel any different, but that's okay. I realized that some of the gadgets had the same functions as the gadgets from Arkham City, for example: the glue grenade can do everything that the freeze blast can do and the remote claw is similar to the line launcher. For some reason they changed the aiming and throwing controls from L1/R1 to L2/R2, that was weird. I'm a little disappointed that Joker is the main villain again, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the story. The boss battles were great (especially Deathstroke). Bane in this game is a lot better from the previous games. So far my favorite challenge map is 100 to 1. Multiplayer mode is a great addition to the series (I love playing as Bane). Expand
  12. Jan 17, 2014
    I loved this game. Once again, the Arkhham series has produced a game that makes you feel like you are really the Caped Crusader. Let me start this review with I liked about the game, first and foremost, the story. Origins tells a compelling story of a younger Batman who tries to survive Christmas as 8 dangerous and professional assassins hired by Black Mask try their best to kill him forI loved this game. Once again, the Arkhham series has produced a game that makes you feel like you are really the Caped Crusader. Let me start this review with I liked about the game, first and foremost, the story. Origins tells a compelling story of a younger Batman who tries to survive Christmas as 8 dangerous and professional assassins hired by Black Mask try their best to kill him for the bounty. But that's not all. Somewhere, The Joker is wrecking havoc on Gotham City and it's up to the Dark Knight to stop him. Now, the story, in my opinion, is one of the best Batman origins tales I've ever experienced even though the title is sort of a misnomer as it really doesn't have anything to with the origins of Arkham but the asylum is mentioned a lot of times and there are a few easter eggs which i won't spoil. The voice acting is stellar. No Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill but the voice actors doing Batman's and Joker's voices are incredible. You'd think they were younger versions of Kevin and Mark, that's how on point their voices and impressions are. Another thing I liked was how huge this world was, double the size of Arkham City and it's filled with things to do such as the main story missions, bunch of sidequests, challenges and puzzles for collectibles. Now these collectibles which are the Enigma packs (you know who he is) and although there are definitely plenty of them, they're not as difficult or as challenging to collect as it was in Arkham City which was a bit disappointing. Now there's the boss battles, those glorious boss battles. Definitely the best and most refined boss battles in the entire Arkham series. Nearly every boss battle was, in it's own way, unique and challenging. My personal favorite was the one with copperhead and my least favorite, in fact the laziest boss battle in the game was against Electrecutioner (no spoilers but it's pretty lame if you ask me).Finally, another part of the game I liked which many will debate on is the combat and stealth mechanics. I say it's debatable because a lot of people will complain on how it's just the same, exact combat system from previous installments while others will argue that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Personally, I'm with the latter. The combat's still as solid as it was in the previous Arkham games. Admittedly a little shallow but for a Batman game, it's near perfect and the stealth segments are still as cool as ever.

Now for the things I hated, the detective missions are forgettable because they have the same exact formula. Review a crime scene, get info from Alfred, beat the crap out of the suspect and you're done. Rinse and repeat. They could have done so much better. I mean you'd think the "World's Greatest Detective" would have a deep detective system that's engaging like maybe a bit LA Noire-ish mixed with elements from CSI but what you get are these mediocre and way too easy clue finding, goon beating side quests. I hope they do better in future installments. Another annoyance are the numerous bugs and glitches especially when you have to fast travel. This game froze like twice, both of them coming from the fast travel animation and when it doesn't freeze, the screen goes black for like 20 seconds and the audio is out of synch and this is post-patch btw. Also, there's this bug where Batman's costume goes back to the default costume whenever you restart and reload the game even if your last save had Batman wearing something completely different. I'd understand if this due to the bigger world but then again, there are games out there with much bigger worlds and a lot less bugs so this is an excusable. Thirdly, the story does a 180 or at least a 90. Without spoiling anything, the plot of Batman's assassins hunting him down for the bounty disappears towards the end of the story and you would pretty much forget that there was a bounty on his head in the first place. Like I said no spoilers but you would understand if you play it.

Overall, Arkham origins is like The Dark Knight Rises movie. It's bigger and on a grander scale then it's predecessors but just a tad step down from the second one. I enjoyed Arkham Origins and it's my second favorite game from the Arkham trilogy, just above Asylum and behind City.

P.S. I gave Asylum a higher score but because it's a 9 as an isolated game. I gave Origins an 8 as an isolated game. But if I were to review these 2 games based solely on comparison, I would give Asylum an 8 and Origins a 9 but no, I want to review them in isolation so those are the scores I came up with.
  13. Nov 13, 2013
    What a great game. Instead of dumb action packed GTA V there is an amazing, mature and well executed game. The fact that it's just the same as two Batmans before is nothing to be worry about as previous games we're great! The new voice of Joker is pretty cool and it's get much cooler when you realize that it's the same voice actor that used his taled for Booker (Bioshock Ininite) and JoelWhat a great game. Instead of dumb action packed GTA V there is an amazing, mature and well executed game. The fact that it's just the same as two Batmans before is nothing to be worry about as previous games we're great! The new voice of Joker is pretty cool and it's get much cooler when you realize that it's the same voice actor that used his taled for Booker (Bioshock Ininite) and Joel (Last of Us). Amazing! Simply, if you liked Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, you gonna like Arkham Origins. if you haven't played previous Bats, then you gonna love it Expand
  14. Nov 14, 2013
    I got this game on day 2 and have to say that it is great having batman back again with the awesome addition of multiplayer (even thought Warner bros servers suck). The story is epic and is very well written and voice acted. The only problems i have with this game is the lack of new game mechanics(which is acceptable because it is not rocksteady), the lifeless gotham city and the theI got this game on day 2 and have to say that it is great having batman back again with the awesome addition of multiplayer (even thought Warner bros servers suck). The story is epic and is very well written and voice acted. The only problems i have with this game is the lack of new game mechanics(which is acceptable because it is not rocksteady), the lifeless gotham city and the the crappy Warner bros servers. P.S I was lucky enough not to receive any glitches whilst playing this game Expand
  15. Nov 13, 2013
    This is another excellent game in the Batman series. Its fun, creative, plenty of sides, puzzles, combat, storyline. It art is awesome, city, Batman, villians, weather all that.

My only gripe would be that its relatively short compared to the other games storylines. This one seemed to play thru much, much faster. Theres still a lot of side things to do, such as the custom battles, predator encounters and the like, but the main storyline is just much too short and is over with in like 30hrs or less. That's very unacceptable. Custom battles, and challenges are nice and all, but they're not really all that involved once the central game is made. I still give the game a very good review because its still a very good game and theres WAY more bang for your buck here then soo many other titles and way more to do once your actual storyline is done. Theres a ton of badges, trophies and merits to acquire.
  16. Nov 1, 2013
    Great addition to the Arkham series. If you loved City and Asylum this is perfect. The combat is basically the same with WB Montreal adding a couple new things. The story is definitely up there with the other two games if not better then them.
  17. Nov 22, 2013
    WB have in my opinion effectively ruined the arkham franchise. This game has an awesome story, but is unfortunately overshadowed by its many flaws. The first & main one that I'll mention is the free flow combat system, it prob the thing we all enjoy most from the arkham games and in this version, it is broken! No longer do u feel like the batman, but rather an idiot running around in aWB have in my opinion effectively ruined the arkham franchise. This game has an awesome story, but is unfortunately overshadowed by its many flaws. The first & main one that I'll mention is the free flow combat system, it prob the thing we all enjoy most from the arkham games and in this version, it is broken! No longer do u feel like the batman, but rather an idiot running around in a batsuit. In the previous 2 games if u were in the middle of a strike u were able to counter & I went back & played the previous ones to be sure. Now in this one, u literally have to almost be standing still to do a counter. It has made the game exteremly frustrating to play, I played it for a few days and that was prob only the story that kept me going, but eventually the complete mess of a combat system that WB has put it eventually made me just stop playing. Now that says a lot because in the previous 2, I did not want to stop playing, in Arkham City I went back and conpleted new game plus and did all the challenge maps. Those 2 made me want to go back and play more, whereas with this one, I dont even feel like finishing it once. Aside from that there are various other flaws, mainly glitches, in predator rooms, I would have 2 guards stuck in a doorway, u could see their legs moving but they were not going anywhere. Another glitch and I dont understand why WB put in this new system where u have to achieve certain objectives to unlock specific gadgets, was after completing one of them & unlocking the sonic batarang I saved and switched off. When I restarted the game the next day, the gadget was somehow locked again, but it showed that I had the trophy for that specific objective. On the same topic, I would be running around on the rooftops and have these achievements poppin up for doing nothing related to the actual objective. All of this combined with the game sometimes stuttering, the sound just dissapearing whenever I fast travel and the numerous other glitches that have been reported, including infinite falling and corrupted save game files make this a very dissapointing entry into the Batman Arkham series. Asylum and city did not have any glitches aside from some texture pop ins every once in a while. In my opinion they should have just let it end with Arkham city, it had such an awesome story, u had catwoman in it, the gameplay was perfect and the ending was brilliant. In closing I will say that if there is another Batman Arkham game in the future, which is made by Rocksteady, I will be first in line to buy it, if in the other hand its made by WB again, not a chance I'll even look at it. Expand
  18. Nov 14, 2013
    This is a fantastic game!!!! Pros are: Combat is improved and harder, Story is the best out of the 3 games, Multiplayer is a bonus, Heaps of stuff to collect and side quests are awesome, new crime scene investigation is a nice touch. Cons: Not much is new gameplay wise, a few bugs here and there.
    All in all i highly recommend that you pick this up.
  19. Nov 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game felt more like an expansion pack than anything. The map was pretty much the same as in Arkham City with only a few small changes and Christmas decorations added. The story was incredibly short compared to the other games. It was a huge let down. Also it was advertised that the main villain in this one would be black mask, something different and fresh, but its just the damn joker again, this is reveled early too. There are so many other villains that could be used instead of the same one over and over again, its repetitive. The side missions in this one sucked, most were find and destroy ones nothing exciting. Then when you collect all the Riddler data-packs absolutely nothing happens, wtf. You can only play death-stroke in the challenge arenas even though at the end it is made out to seem like he will get his own little story line, but that will probably just be a DLC to be released. As much as this game was priced as I would expect it to seem like a new game not an expansion and I want a complete game not one that you have to get the DLC to finish a story it starts. Expand
  20. Jan 1, 2014
    Awesome game in short!

Arkham Origins had a lot to live up to after the success of Arkham City. Comparing the 2 there is only one winner and it isn't Origins but basing the review on a separate game AO is awesome. Solid storyline going back to when Batman is facing his most fearsome foes for the first time the story is exciting and keeps the player wanting to continue on until the
    Awesome game in short!

Solid storyline going back to when Batman is facing his most fearsome foes for the first time the story is exciting and keeps the player wanting to continue on until the end in one sitting (well me anyway!). Side missions are as good as Batman AA that keep the player occupied if you want to complete the game at 100%. Combat situations are excellent, many different ways to dispose of the scum of Gotham. Go slow and stealthy or head first all guns blazing. Graphics are excellent with a good choice of voice actors.

My only gripe is that the main storyline is quite short. As with all good games you want them to keep going and going. Even with the main missions completed there are still loads of other tasks to keep the Caped Crusader busy.

Definite purchase if your a fan of the previous 2 Batman titles
  21. Jan 6, 2014
    A great game. However, it lacks a proper storyline. Such as a decent flow. Many of the side missions could have been part of the main story to make it more interesting. Other than that the graphics were good and the game ran smoothly.
  22. Oct 28, 2013
    Batman: Arkham Origins isn't as good as Arkham City or Arkham Asylum.
    But it's still a hell of a good game!
    Brilliant Villains (Boss fights may be a bit uninspired but still fun!)
    Great Story, A roller-coaster of emotions.
  23. Oct 27, 2013
    Great prequel to the series.....Enjoyed the story and setup to the later games. Not as polished as Arkham City, but still badass and stylish in its own right. I loved the boss battles.
  24. Nov 10, 2013
    This game is getting far too high a score. I can only assume people are overlooking its bland, flat story and the myriad of technical issues due to it being a "batman" game.
    I loved the first two Arkham games but this is just a cynical cash-in and it has made me lose respect for whomever was responsible for the license being handed over.
    I'm going to put on my sacrasta-hat on now: I
    I'm going to put on my sacrasta-hat on now:
    I LOVE how this game crashed about 6 times in my 7 hour playthrough.
    I LOVE how the frame rate dipped to totally unacceptable levels, consistently.
    I LOVE how it's basically the same area as in "City" with a few tacked on sections and that a really crap reason was used for why there are ABSOLUTELY NO citizens walking about (bad weather) on Christmas eve.
    I LOVE the samey boss fights with such CLASSIC and renowned villans as Firefly (ooh!), Deathstroke (Ahhh!) Shiva (FAAAAART! )and Copperhead (eh?).
    I LOVE how the game had already been patched THRICE (over 50 mbs each!!) and that the technical issues I experienced were in NO WAY amended.
    I LOVE how there are much fewer collectibles and side quests than in "City" and that any there are are disgustingly similar to those in "City"
    I LOVE how I never gor to see how the story panned out between Batman and two of the eight assassins because 1. A bug in the game meant that it wouldn't acknowledge that I had completed one of the tasks and 2. The story was obviously chopped down and left for future DLC (As if the very idea that I would buy and DLC or spend any more money on this pile of kack game is laughable)
    There are alot more things about this game that I LOVED but there just aren't enough hours in the day.
    If you absolutely mut play this wait 'till it's way down in price but even then I still wouldn't bother if I knew what I know now.

P.S. This game isn't very good.
  25. Oct 28, 2013
    Incredibly disappointing, Gotham city is empty and generic with no fanfare or personality. This is not an open world game since there is no world here. Combat is still great, but feels rushed with many button inputs being unresponsive such as the R-trigger+ Triangle takedown combo. Grappling around town is a mess with the grapple gun being indecisive on what it can and cannot hook onto.Incredibly disappointing, Gotham city is empty and generic with no fanfare or personality. This is not an open world game since there is no world here. Combat is still great, but feels rushed with many button inputs being unresponsive such as the R-trigger+ Triangle takedown combo. Grappling around town is a mess with the grapple gun being indecisive on what it can and cannot hook onto. Gliding around town also suffers from awful framerate with the game freezing multiple times. I understand this game is pushing the hardware limit, but having Batman crash on a new Ps3 multiple times in unacceptable. The game feels rushed with it's numerous technical issues. It also feels like a complete cash grab with little ideas of it's own. The inclusion of multiplayer is the largest failure since it turns the game into a generic throwaway 3rd person shooter. The game isn't all bad though as the cutscenes are extremely well done and the actual detective work is no longer boring.

Overall though this game is a rushed cash grab littered with many bugs and glitches. Arkham Origins lacks personality and is missing much of the "world" found in open world games. It's easily the weakest in the series and I recommend waiting until a price drop to play Batman Arkham Origins
    Score: 4/10
  26. Oct 30, 2013
    Bugs, copy and paste boss battles (excluding Deathstroke), unresponsive controls and an on-par storyline honestly left me disappointed in this game. It is not the prequel Arkham City deserved. Such a simple concept (especially with the game mechanics already designed for you) yet so poorly pulled off. I went into the game expecting miracles, I came out frustrated and bored with such aBugs, copy and paste boss battles (excluding Deathstroke), unresponsive controls and an on-par storyline honestly left me disappointed in this game. It is not the prequel Arkham City deserved. Such a simple concept (especially with the game mechanics already designed for you) yet so poorly pulled off. I went into the game expecting miracles, I came out frustrated and bored with such a mediocre game. However, the new models and cast do deserve some praise. It felt rushed and released for no other purpose than to pull in another buck. This game is not worth your time. Expand
  27. Oct 25, 2013
    This game doesn't feel as polished as when Rocksteady had the helm. Straight away I noticed bugs, nothing game breaking. But not what I have come to expect when playing a Batman game these days. This game is mediocre at best, no real advancements. Just a reworking of what has gone before with a bigger map. On top of which quick-time events in boss battle make combat frustrating.This game doesn't feel as polished as when Rocksteady had the helm. Straight away I noticed bugs, nothing game breaking. But not what I have come to expect when playing a Batman game these days. This game is mediocre at best, no real advancements. Just a reworking of what has gone before with a bigger map. On top of which quick-time events in boss battle make combat frustrating. Combat hasn't evolved either it's gone backwards. The takedown where you knock a guy out when they are dazed, hardly ever seems to work. Instead Batman jumps into empty space and beats the ground. So far it's just OK, nothing special and just seems to be lacking that polish that Rocksteady brought to the mix. Expand
  28. Oct 26, 2013
    Don't get me wrong i love the batman games but.... This sequel falls a little short in the originality department in terms of game play its the exact same game not really a advancement of the series, and feels a little bit more buggy not through the entire game yet and cut scenes and fights i've noticed some freezing. Still its great! 7 because its more of the same but if your not a hugeDon't get me wrong i love the batman games but.... This sequel falls a little short in the originality department in terms of game play its the exact same game not really a advancement of the series, and feels a little bit more buggy not through the entire game yet and cut scenes and fights i've noticed some freezing. Still its great! 7 because its more of the same but if your not a huge batman fan I cant see none batman fans giving this a 10. *10 in my opinion is a masterpiece that everyone should play, regardless of your fandom ties. Expand
  29. Oct 29, 2013
    Arkham Origins storyline doesn't come near as good as Arkham City. In fact it's boring. Plus the whole game lacks originality and is basically a reincarnation of Arkham City. If you played Arkham City you will most likely be disapointed. The repetitiveness and lack of new ideas is a major fall back.
  30. Nov 2, 2013
    Attempts to bully and bury the negatives from Arkham City failed, the bait and switch was not forgotten and despite an artificial image crafted to paint AC as a hit, the truth shows in the sequel. The lack of preregisters, the lack of advertising, everyone knew this was a non-starter. Pity because the graphics are much better. Story isn't as bad, although DC still refuses to grasp thatAttempts to bully and bury the negatives from Arkham City failed, the bait and switch was not forgotten and despite an artificial image crafted to paint AC as a hit, the truth shows in the sequel. The lack of preregisters, the lack of advertising, everyone knew this was a non-starter. Pity because the graphics are much better. Story isn't as bad, although DC still refuses to grasp that fans decide what villains matter and it isn't something you can dictate. No one but lemmings care about "Black Mask" and the game suffers. There is nothing epic here. Why does this episode in Batman's life rate a game? At least the trainwreck of Paul Dini's bait & switch are gone, but too late to save the franchise. Better graphics and better gameplay. What a waste. Expand
  31. Nov 19, 2013
    Gotta give WB Montreal credit, I'm yet to get bored of this game yet. That's an impressive feat from WB. I thought Rocksteady were foolish to let another developer handle their franchise but this game has been thoroughly enjoyable. The Story was marvelous I must say, voice acting was impressive considering it was the regular you know who's.
  32. Nov 24, 2013
    Excellent game, at least as good as Arkham City and a perfect adaptation of everything the comic stands for It was difficult and frustrating at the beginning on hard mode, but with a little perseverance I finally made it and after getting the electric gauntlets, nothing could stop me. A must buy for every Batman fan.
  33. Jan 14, 2014
    AMAZING GAME! it had great story great music and great fighting system which became much harder with this new ninja guy and amazing voice actors even the multiplayer was pretty good it is another strong hit with arkham series can not wait for the next one
  34. Oct 25, 2013
    Certainly not what you'd expect from a Batman: Arkham game. The moves are about the same, the graphics haven't changed one bit, it's filled with a lot of bugs (albeit minor ones) and with too many quicktime events. It's clear WB Montreal was just trying to gain profit by using the name of a loved franchise like this, and just adding a few hardly relevant features to at least claim thatCertainly not what you'd expect from a Batman: Arkham game. The moves are about the same, the graphics haven't changed one bit, it's filled with a lot of bugs (albeit minor ones) and with too many quicktime events. It's clear WB Montreal was just trying to gain profit by using the name of a loved franchise like this, and just adding a few hardly relevant features to at least claim that they're doing something new. The city is big, sure, but not as HUGE as the developers claimed it would be. The atmosphere is nice, I guess, the voicework is superb, with Troy Baker totally mastering the voice of Batman's archnemesis, The Joker. The game was shorter than the previous ones, and the Deathstroke playable character was just Robin made to look like Deathstroke.

Overall, I think the game is fine. Although, I recommend you wait until the price drops.
  35. Oct 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The only thing lacking in Origins is the ambition of the gameplay. Arkham City was a drastic and tasteful improvement in Asylum as far as mechanics, combat, design, gadgets, and exploration. The darkness of the story is brilliant and (semi-spoiler ahead) the fact that the origins part comes to play with Batman's first encounter with the Joker couldn't have been better executed. I personally enjoy revisiting the old city and still feel they introduced plenty of new content and areas. It's not a dang glorified expansion. An amazing game, if you loved Asylum and City it's a just have. Extremely underrated. Expand
  36. Oct 28, 2013
    Love all these arkham games. They're the best. Jump on a roof, glide off, beat the hell out of some thugs. The story is amazing, the combat moves are perfect
  37. Oct 29, 2013
    This game is solid, best story in Batman Arkham timeline by a country mile, completely un predictable, arguably a bigger plot twist then in Arkham City when the Joker dies, and tons of PS3 FREE DLC!

This game is getting 8's which is great but people were ready to kill this game when they heard Rocksteady wasn't making it, this game is head above heels better then Arkham Asylum & depending on how you like your Batman the more traditional or younger & quite frankly more bad a$$ then this might be the best game to date…

So what if there isn't a lot of new stuff in the open world.. Arkham City wasn't broken so Arkham Origins didn't fix it.. 10/10 best character driven story out of all the 3 Arkham games to date, it's a must OWN.
  38. GDL
    Oct 30, 2013
    Very poor for a 3rd outing, most of the side quests are now just repeated beyond the sanity of the player.
    Storyline was ok, a little on the slow side since you're pulled left and right by side quests or police calls.
    Boss fights are reworked QTE, hidden well but nothing that improves on the quality of the game.

Buy The first two and leave this one to the bargain bin.
  39. Oct 28, 2013
    The story is fairly good. It starts out kind of rough and unfocused, but a significant plot twist a third into it really got me hooked and I couldn't put the game down! Combat is still awesome. The shock gloves are fun to use, and really help against armored, shielded, and stun baton enemies. I also really enjoyed the combat based boss fights. That's something I thought the other gamesThe story is fairly good. It starts out kind of rough and unfocused, but a significant plot twist a third into it really got me hooked and I couldn't put the game down! Combat is still awesome. The shock gloves are fun to use, and really help against armored, shielded, and stun baton enemies. I also really enjoyed the combat based boss fights. That's something I thought the other games kind of lacked in some areas. The boss fights would be a matter of spamming some gadget to stun them, and then pound away. If Mark Hamill stays in retirement and Troy Baker is left to voice the Joker, I think we are in great hands. Seriously, what a phenomenal actor. I'd say the low points in the game are its level design and story pacing. There were several points, especially in the beginning, where I didn't know what the hell was going on and why I needed to move forward. Arkham Asylum I think had the best single player narrative I've ever played. You were so immersed in the environment and what was happening. Asylum showed you the story. Origins just tells you. The city also feels pretty dull and empty. Why is it that the only people out in Gotham on Christmas Eve are thugs that all want to fight Batman? I was hoping the first Open-Gotham Batman game would be better in that department. The writing also has some weak points in the dialogue. I cringed a couple times, mostly during the Penguin stretch. His assistant is the most annoying female voice I've heard in my life. The game doesn't do much more than rehash all the awesome stuff from the first two games. There are some bugs and framerate drops too. I've noticed there is a glitch sometimes when you finish a fight with the Shock Gloves and you have to interrogate somebody they'll just stand there cowering in fear, the game doesn't prompt you to interrogate. So I had to reload from my last save and finish the fight without using Shock Gloves and that solved the problem. Nothing like that ever happened Arkham City. Another big no-no was when I went to read the story synopsis and the game said that was 90% complete when I was more like 75%. I got to read a couple hours into the future of the game, which really set the story back for me. All and all though, its a worthy title. If you loved the first two, this game is worth buying at full price. I tried one match of multiplayer and it was pretty cool, I'm probably going to play that a lot this week. 8/10 Expand
  40. Oct 26, 2013
    It's not terrible but after playing Asylum and City this falls a little flat for me. The tone is a little lighter and a lot less creepy. It feels more like The Amazing Spider-Man videogame, guest starring Batman, than it does an Arkham game. I miss the decrepit broken down Arkham city of the second game. Also (and this applies to all the Arkham games) why are there no female criminals?It's not terrible but after playing Asylum and City this falls a little flat for me. The tone is a little lighter and a lot less creepy. It feels more like The Amazing Spider-Man videogame, guest starring Batman, than it does an Arkham game. I miss the decrepit broken down Arkham city of the second game. Also (and this applies to all the Arkham games) why are there no female criminals? There are a few female supervillains but other than that... I guess females go all out evil or not at all. This'll hold me over until the next one comes out on next-gen but it's a shame that, after the phenomenal first two games, this just feels like a placeholder while we wait for Rocksteady to do their thing. By the way I have had to restart the game on several occasions due to crashes or Batman slipping through the floor of an elevator he was supposed to be riding up then falling off the map into oblivion. Hopefully they will fix this with a patch ASAP. Expand
  41. Dec 4, 2013
    If Arkham City was The Dark Knight of video-games, Arkham Origins is the Batman and Robin.

Written with the consistency of wet excrement flung at a bouncy castle, Arkham Origins has an utterly nonsensical plot that is a genuine struggle to sit through. Batman is portrayed as a whiny, arrogant teenage like figure, with the phrase, "you're not my real dad!" threatening to leave his mouth in every conversation with Alfred. In fact the only character where the writer's didn't seem to completely miss the point was The Joker, though that's likely because 90% of his dialogue was taken straight from The Killing Joke (and most of it didn't even make sense in context.
    The combat is broken, which is confusing as all they had to do was keep the strange system from the previous game to avoid that happening, yet somehow Batman has most of the same attacks (with a couple removed) and gets confused during freeflow, causing him to punch the air randomly instead of another opponent.
    Similarly, he cannot counter if in the middle of punching someone, which means the vast majority of the time you'll just have to let him get punched in the head and ruin your combo.
    The people who were positive about this game are in denial, as I was the first week I played it, attempting to convince myself it was good simply because I'd looked forward to it for so long. Instead Arkham Origins became the first game I've traded in in over two years. If you buy it not only are you wasting your money, you're sticking your fingers up at the games that came before it.
  42. Oct 25, 2013
    Glad I didn't listen to the nitpickers. AO is more of the same, but when same is good, no reason to trash it. Clearly much has been re-used, but you get to be Batman once again. It's like getting back behind the wheel of your favorite car. Some of the styling has changed but the game oozes pure caped crusader with little touches that evoke all the previous lore: from the AnimatedGlad I didn't listen to the nitpickers. AO is more of the same, but when same is good, no reason to trash it. Clearly much has been re-used, but you get to be Batman once again. It's like getting back behind the wheel of your favorite car. Some of the styling has changed but the game oozes pure caped crusader with little touches that evoke all the previous lore: from the Animated Series all the way through the Dark Knight movies. Haven't even gotten through the first part of the map but I definitely expect that each of the many big pieces of Gotham will have its own boss to deal with. Very surprised that the new voice actor sounds just like a young version of Kevin Conroy--great casting. Occasional freeze here and there and some audio cuts out but overall a quality production. Didn't expect or want any total overhaul of the previous two games so it's not such a bad thing that Rocksteady let WB Montreal at their code. I had my doubts when I first heard of the new team, but they did a great job with their own piece of the Arkham story so this game definitely belongs in my collection with the others. Expand
  43. Oct 26, 2013
    A must buy game 4 sure, absolute gold new gadgets, new enemies, better presentation and a a character defining tale make this game stand on its on two feet beside its 2 brilliant predecessors
  44. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very impressive. And storytelling is very beautiful. And events are interrelated. The sequel to the previous parts. From my point of view deserves to be one of the most beautiful games delirious year. Because the game where the depth of the story and hand banger play Expand
  45. Oct 25, 2013
    As a huge fan of the Arkham games and Batman in general, I'm really liking this game so far, so if you're standing next to it wondering if you should buy it, it's worth it. The story nails it as an origin, with Batman being more of a myth than the Caped Crusader he is in the first two games. All the villains are given a more bad-ass look. Bane looks a lot cooler than the Paul Dini-styleAs a huge fan of the Arkham games and Batman in general, I'm really liking this game so far, so if you're standing next to it wondering if you should buy it, it's worth it. The story nails it as an origin, with Batman being more of a myth than the Caped Crusader he is in the first two games. All the villains are given a more bad-ass look. Bane looks a lot cooler than the Paul Dini-style "big green tubes shooting out of his back, and The Riddler is more mysterious and incognito than his outlandish counterpart. The gameplay is similar, but they've put a twist on your goals and upgrade method. If you have a lot of experience with the first 2 games, you'll most likely start on Hard, which IS hard. You're forced to use a lot more counters because in a large group, guys can hit you quickly while you're landing a punch on another enemy.

If you love the first two Arkham games, get it.

If you're new to the series, try Asylum or City first.
  46. Oct 25, 2013
    Batman Arkham Origins is a game that sets the stage for Arkham City. For people that gave the game a score below 8, i should say: If i ain't broken, don't fix it". Arkham origins is exactly like Arkham City with some improvements and a bigger city. Anyone who loved Arkham City should love Arkham origins. The game is great. Some say it doesn't add anything new to the series and just moreBatman Arkham Origins is a game that sets the stage for Arkham City. For people that gave the game a score below 8, i should say: If i ain't broken, don't fix it". Arkham origins is exactly like Arkham City with some improvements and a bigger city. Anyone who loved Arkham City should love Arkham origins. The game is great. Some say it doesn't add anything new to the series and just more of the same. That is not true. Arkham origins may not be innovative in the series but it succeeds in improving gameplay mechanics. The story is worth of the Arkham saga, its just very very good.

You have a great story with a very familiar and yet better gameplay in a bigger city than the one you loved before. So there you have the perfect combination that proves that Arkham origins is a awesome game. Do yourself a favor and get it, Do not listen to the bad critics. You will not regret it.
  47. Oct 26, 2013
    The best game ever. The history exicting and sensational. There's not a change in mobility and thematic, but this does not lose the essence of the others Arkhams
  48. Oct 26, 2013
    I am just over 6 hours into the game so far. I loved the previous games, but I felt that the only major difference between AA and AC was that AC was open world. The story in both previous games was great, and so far the story in this game is also great.

In a lot of ways I like the story in this game more. It has a darker tone overall. Batman is new on the scene, the cops and criminals don't really know who he is and most even doubt that he exists.

When it comes down to it, AO is more of the same with a few differences and on a larger scale. As far as I am concerned, the same applies to AC as a sequel. I'm not sure why AO is being rated down for this while the same critics praised AC for doing the same.

It's worth bearing in mind that the same critics have praised games like CoD year in, year out for releasing the exact same game, tweaked slightly, not expanded on at all...Go figure. Maybe the reviewers weren't paid off...

The 100 vs 1 mode is an excellent addition to the challenge mode and pretty tough! The combat is as satisfying as ever, and their interpretation of a younger, less experienced Batman is great.

All in all, if you enjoyed the previous games for their puzzles, combat and story, you will enjoy this too, as long as you don't have any unrealistic expectations about it being a dramatic departure from AC. It is mostly more of the same excellent gameplay as before, but with improved visuals and a new and compelling story.

I haven't tried the MP yet, so I can't comment on that, but it isn't why I bought this game...I came for the SP story and the 100 vs 1 combat extravaganza and I haven't been disappointed!
  49. Oct 27, 2013
    First off, this is a fantastic game for anyone who is into polished adventure games. It is a goldmine for anyone who is remotely a fan. Unfortunately what happens when you have a series with a spectacular reputation, games like this don't get reviewed objectively because they're being compared to the titles that came before it.. Such is the case with Batman: Arkham Origins.
    Yes, this is
    Yes, this is a Batman game bearing the 'Arkham' name however it is an entity on it's own so let's treat it as such. With a brilliant story and voice acting combined with some of the best Boss fights I've yet to encounter in gaming, Arkham Origins is a Tour De Force that will satisfy the pickiest of gamers (and Batman fans). It stays true to his 'Origins' and introduces a plethora of eye candy and clever missions accompanied with some very slick graphics. Once again you truly feel like you're Batman as you work your way through the familiar, fluid button azz kicking and gadget assault on a variety of henchmen throughout Gotham. The boss battles are quite challenging and take patience to navigate, something that Warner Montreal knocked out of the park. And the Joker.. Well, let's say he's as addictive as ever (which is a good thing considering his voice over actor has changed). Brilliant.
    If this game could have been reviewed on it's own it would easily have scored a 90+ by the bulk of the 'professional' critics. That being said, if you're still on the fence with this game, I urge you to check out the user reviews along with trusting your gut.. From this Batman-loving gamer, it is worth every penny and should be spinning in your console right now. Next to GTA V and The Last Of Us, it has been my favourite gaming experience this year and will be replayed as soon as I stop writing this review.
    Buy-this-game. I promise you'll thank me later.
  50. Oct 26, 2013
    Brilliant Game! People are forgetting this is an origin story and is set before the first 2 games. It shows us the characters before they become what we know, its a young batman who isn't as wise as we know him to be. The story was brilliant and the setting of Gotham looked beautiful with it being Christmas in Gotham.
  51. Nov 18, 2013
    My fav Arkham game by far. Best Story, keeps the same formula we all know and love, a bigger world, great gameplay and combat, we got access to the batcave and batwing! The voice acting is terrific, the soundtrack is the best of all 3 games and it has freakin Deathstroke as a playable character!!! Don't listen to the negative biased reviews, this game is awesome. Sure it has it's problemsMy fav Arkham game by far. Best Story, keeps the same formula we all know and love, a bigger world, great gameplay and combat, we got access to the batcave and batwing! The voice acting is terrific, the soundtrack is the best of all 3 games and it has freakin Deathstroke as a playable character!!! Don't listen to the negative biased reviews, this game is awesome. Sure it has it's problems with bugs and a few glitches but WB are working hard to address them all. So go out and buy this today! Expand
  52. Nov 19, 2013
    Why all the negative reviews? Were people expecting some kind of revelation or something. This game offers all the great things we know and love of the arkham franchise and more. I personally think its the best one out of all the arkham games. Couldn't be any happier with this purchase
  53. Nov 6, 2013
    played all the three games. Asylum felt restrictive to me, City was alot more polished. for a while that was the benchmark. Origin is beautiful, the same excellent gameplay, just polished with awesome story, This is the best Arkham game yet, simple!
  54. Oct 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off there were more than a few bugs, target npc's not talking and then falling through the map, the entire bridge not being solid and you fall into the water over and over. Next there was the sudden, HUH? ending ala RAGE. One minute I was makin Puddin out of Puddin, expecting to go out and finish off some bad guys and assassins, then credits roll and game over. I did not like the whole way the skill tree was set up. In Arkham city you could choose the path that got you to disarm and destroy without having to go though 10 points of "shiny Armor" It was still a Batman game and coasting through on the previous Arkhams popularity seems to be what they were aiming for. Like when your mom threw you that 10 year old granola bar to hold you over till STuckey's on a long trip. The voice acting was good and a lot of the script was downright awesome. But the mechanics of moving through Gotham? There were huge buildings in your way and you had to go around ind of like some zones in old everquest. Then there was 9 year old Barbara Gordon hacking your comms. Holy Will Robinson, Batman! And I DID like the while Year One feel to the game.Play Spiderman web of shadows on the PC and load it up on the PS2. It is kind of like that feeling. I finished the game in less than 12 hours. Anyhow if you paid full price for this game (like me), sorry. If you bought the useless game guide, even more sorry for ya, cuz I did both.But at least AC blag flag comes out in less than 48 hours... Expand
  55. Jan 5, 2014
    Arkhem origins is a great installment in the batman Videogame Franchise.
    Very similar to it's predecessors the familiarity of the city design and combat will have long time players thinking they are playing the same game, This doesn't mean the game is any less enjoyable, It just shows they've already got a good formula to work with and aren't willing to take any risks changing it.
    Arkhem origins is a great installment in the batman Videogame Franchise.

Like the previous games Arkhem origins looks and sounds beautiful, with superb voice acting and character depth.

If you already own the previous games and love them, play them again and wait a little while for the price tag to come down on this one, Because Arkhem origins is just another great expansion on the previous games.
  56. Oct 28, 2013
    The prequel to Arkham Asylum, this game follow Batman 2 years into his crime fighting career.
    This time the game is done by WB than Rocksteady but there is not a single difference in the game in terms of gameplay. There is very little innovation but it is a great expansion to an already great series.

The cons mostly involve a good amount of lack of polish compared to its predecessors. The final boss is not that big of a surprise and it slightly a letdown to Arkham city. other personal complaints involve Deathstroke having very limited screentime and combat being pretty much 100% same.

There are some great ideas introduced to this game such as Batcave, multiple skins to use in campaign, much richer sidequests, Batwing (fast travel only), and an extensive map. The supporting characters are much more likeable than previous arkham games (except there is no Catwoman) and the story is just as good and on point with the attitude along with its predecessors.
    The campaign challenges such as Worst Nighmare, Gotham protector, etc... are very welcome.
    The predator options are much more refined, fun and immersive than before.

If you haven't already preordered and planning to get it for less the game is worth $45-50 and should keep you busy for months.
  57. Oct 26, 2013
    Batman arkham origins is a prequel to the arkham series and I was worried about the game when I heard it was not being made by Rocksteady studios but in the end I was not. Batman arkham origins is a great game it may not be about his origins but the story itself is amazing. Having to deal with 8 assassins and villians trying to kill you is a great adrenaline rush!!! The combat is similarBatman arkham origins is a prequel to the arkham series and I was worried about the game when I heard it was not being made by Rocksteady studios but in the end I was not. Batman arkham origins is a great game it may not be about his origins but the story itself is amazing. Having to deal with 8 assassins and villians trying to kill you is a great adrenaline rush!!! The combat is similar to arkham city but batman is a bit rough and new to combat which makes it a lot better I'm not sating he is weak and has no combat ability). There is a new upgrading system compared to the other games which I think looks cool. In the game you are finallyalowed to explore the batcave, fast travel with your batwing and the map is 2x bigger!!! Therare also new faces in the game that were not introduced in the arkham franchise such as deathstroke, lady shiva, anarky and much more!!! The gama also fearures mulyiplayer which is different than any multiplayer I've played. The multiplayer is a 2v3v3 which is joker and banes gang vs batman and robin. There are different modes like the invible predator which is like the maps you do in arkham city that are seperate from the story. The reasom why people rate his a bad game is due to the title not being exaxtly his origins, not new fighting nechanics and it doesn't have the same feeling that roxksteady brings. In the end the game is still a great success that it really depends on the players point of view and not what critics say. Hope you find this reviewhelpful and like the game as well. Enjoy!!! Expand
  58. Nov 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My opinion evolved over the first days of playing this game. The initial reactions were mixed because of the shadow of the previous games. I was in love with it by the time the credits rolled and am anxious to continue exploring this bigger, varied Gotham. Asylum and City made me feel like I was Batman. Origins made me feel like I was becoming him. It is a rich experience layered into a tangible mood, great story, and memorable scenes, many of which ripple into the other games in telling and sometimes haunting ways.

This game gives us something we haven't had before: The Joker out there being The Joker, the unpredictable, psychopathic villain. Learning about him through Batman's eyes resonates with The Dark Knight film and amps it up to be horrific, as it should be. AA gave us Joker pulling the strings in a controlled environment. AC gave us a matured, sickly, singularly focused Joker. Here in Origins he shines as the Clown Prince of Crime, and it's brilliant.

Sequels and prequels receive insufferable scrutiny. My impression is that many negative reviews for this game came from people who basically wanted to get married on the first date. AA blindsided us with its new presentation of what a Batman game could be. AC built on that and expanded it, but I saw it as a through-line continuation, not a game-changing innovation as most people are claiming. I love Arkham City. It is my go-to game that I have lived and breathed in more than any other. Yet, as I remember first playing it, it was was overwhelming and at times confusing. It took repeat playing to understand exactly what all was at play in the plot (in a good, dense way). Now it has the benefit of living in our consoles for two years as we explored every nook and cranny and played through the story mode a dozen times. It became more of a state of mind than a video game. We established a relationship with it that feels deeply personal.

So, the initial reactions to Origins are focused on what's different or what hasn't changed enough. That's not fair to it. It IS like asking someone to marry you on the first date instead of getting to know them. Now that I've spent a few days with it, it won me over and dazzled me.

Here are examples of what I'm talking about.

I was acutely aware of the moment when Batman entered a building that played a big part in City, the Sionis steel mill. I thought, "this is it this is the first true retread." And it was perfect. It showed us the place some twenty years earlier, long before Joker made it his home in Arkham City, when it was fully Roman Sionis's place. Not only was the story with Copperhead amazing here, but there was a direct homage to Back to the Future: Part 2 when Batman climbed above the office in the rafters to take out the men there. Many years from now, so much will happen here. I thought, "There is where Joker tricks me. There is where the pregnancy tests will be. There is the window he'll throw me through. But here and now, it's Roman's office." That was thrilling and genius.

Shiva's storyline wraps up with a great nod to what is to come with the League of Shadows and Ra's al Ghul's storyline by having the final fight in the lobby in front of the now iconic elevator of Wonder Tower. We can't go up in it yet, but we know that we will. This game was great at planting seeds that I'm sure will echo into the other games when I replay them.

The trajectory of Deadshot's shot to the helicopter takes us to the rooftop where we'll eventually take him down in City.

People are saying there are no Easter eggs, and I wonder how quickly they raced through the game. Queen Industries. Barbara's side mission with the weapons caches. Hell, the entire game is an Easter egg for Arkham City, everywhere you turn.

I played through on Hard my first time. The reversal of the R1 to R2 and L1 to L2 was maddening at first, but I (sigh) got used to it. In a way, it made me feel like I HAD to be a beginner Batman all over again, which is the point of the game.

Let's consider that bridge. "That damned bridge," as many critics have called it. I'm not quite sure what they're after. I wanted a larger universe for Batman. I fast traveled when I needed to, but more often than not I gladly soared and launched and swooped and explored that magnificent bridge when I needed to travel between islands. It's a part of being Batman. It's a part of Arkham City I wanted more of, when repeated explorations made me yearn for the walls to come down.

The developers of this game should be applauded and told how great a job they did. It sympathize with them now, having to read these rash reviews after all of their hard work. After some criticisms I've read, I thought of the development team reacting with, "Did you even play the game?!"

I did. I loved it. I can't wait to get back in there and explore it more over the coming years as I did with Arkham City.
  59. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is too much a carbon copy of Arkham City. I'm disappointed because the amount I paid for it. It's more like a DLC, I really dislike the extreme similarities. Quick tip: if you have Arkham City, don't play this. If you are new to the Arkhamverse, get this. Gameplay is exactly the same but with some polishes. Story makes me give this game a 5. Is not BAD, but is not good. It couldThis game is too much a carbon copy of Arkham City. I'm disappointed because the amount I paid for it. It's more like a DLC, I really dislike the extreme similarities. Quick tip: if you have Arkham City, don't play this. If you are new to the Arkhamverse, get this. Gameplay is exactly the same but with some polishes. Story makes me give this game a 5. Is not BAD, but is not good. It could be a lot more, the assassins thing could have been A LOT better, exploit more them, exploit more the story behind them and their relationship with Batman. The only villain that got that is the Joker and Bane a little bit. Nobody else have an interesting story, just a fight some chit chat and we are done. Again, disappointed. Expand
  60. Oct 29, 2013
    Right well first off i cannot understand the mass amount of people giving this game low rating just because its seen as too similar to Arkham City and that they have not built on it well i have to agree to some extent but if im honest why break something that does not need fixing the gameplay of arkham city was as good as anything that has come before with fluid combat (argubally the bestRight well first off i cannot understand the mass amount of people giving this game low rating just because its seen as too similar to Arkham City and that they have not built on it well i have to agree to some extent but if im honest why break something that does not need fixing the gameplay of arkham city was as good as anything that has come before with fluid combat (argubally the best in any game ever) excellent side quests and a bucket load of action and this game is no different and thats my point you could make a thousand games exactly the same as Arkham City just with different stories and side quests and id be a happy man every year. Batman Arkham Origins is everything you would expect in a Arkham game yes there is a few technical glitches here and there and obviously The voice cast of Batman AND Joker dont even come close to the originals but its a great game which has plenty of content and alot of quality moments enought to make this game just as memorable as the first 2 installments Expand
  61. Oct 26, 2013
    Batman Arkham Origins may not be as good as Arkham City but it is still a great game. You need to see it in your own right to see everything it has to offer. Don't let other sites fool you and check this game out.
  62. Oct 25, 2013
    If you loved the other games you'll love this one. Think of it as one huge DLC pack for arkham city. Yeah it's more of the same but that's not necessarily a bad thing. one point off for switching the L1/R1/L2/R2 buttons (you can't change the control scheme in the menu I checked), and for some noticeable framrate issues when flying through the city at high speeds (its probably all that snowIf you loved the other games you'll love this one. Think of it as one huge DLC pack for arkham city. Yeah it's more of the same but that's not necessarily a bad thing. one point off for switching the L1/R1/L2/R2 buttons (you can't change the control scheme in the menu I checked), and for some noticeable framrate issues when flying through the city at high speeds (its probably all that snow haha). Overall though great game for arkham fans. Expand
  63. Nov 8, 2013
    WB Montreal played it safe with their instalment in the Arkham franchise and that was a smart move. It feeling like Arkham City makes you feel at home, despite Gotham being vastly unpopulated and uninteresting to explore even though everyone is in bed at midnight. Combat feels much better in terms of feel than its predecessors with the fights being more difficult with new enemies. TheWB Montreal played it safe with their instalment in the Arkham franchise and that was a smart move. It feeling like Arkham City makes you feel at home, despite Gotham being vastly unpopulated and uninteresting to explore even though everyone is in bed at midnight. Combat feels much better in terms of feel than its predecessors with the fights being more difficult with new enemies. The Shock Gloves are an interesting idea, but to hard core players it can take away the challenge of certain fights even though it still feels badass. New gadgets like the Glue Grenade shouldn't really be needed since they serve the exact same purpose as the Ice Grenades from AC. The Remote Claw is a great tool however it can make most predator sections too easy and without the feeling of urgency of not being seen by armed thugs. The boss battles are a HUGE improvement for the Arkham franchise, they feel unique in their own way and more on-your-feet action is implemented. The Deathstroke battle may seem repetitive, but it is still awesome. The story for Arkham Origins is BRILLIANTLY told, also showing emphasis on first relationship encounters (namely Batman and The Joker) and early Batman premise.

All in all, it is a fine instalment and wether you're a Batman nut or fan of the series, this definitely earns a spot on your gaming library shelf.
  64. Oct 26, 2013
    the 77 and 79 for arkham origins are unfair. Yes, it didn't innovate much, but it was never going to, and we only want the real developer changing drastically. You can't give a game a lowish score based on being too similar to the previous game. The new (old) Arkham City looks very different in Origins, and the new map is fine.
    Problems- the unnecessary change in the L1/L2 from previous
    Problems- the unnecessary change in the L1/L2 from previous games. The way the story early copies AC too much and how you feel so useless in combat. It takes forever to upgrade Critical Strikes, the X5 takedown and Special Takedowns.
    Yes it is filler and when Arkham 4 comes out no one will care about it, but its a fun, solid game that is underrated.
  65. Oct 27, 2013
    Ok I was very skeptical about buying this game due to bad reviews. But I broke down and bought the game anyways. And I must say I don't regret it at all. I can't believe this game is getting bashed up like it is. If you loved arkham city you will love this game. Combat is as smooth as ever, and the cutscenes are AMAZING in my opinion. Great storyline so far, after about 2 hours ofOk I was very skeptical about buying this game due to bad reviews. But I broke down and bought the game anyways. And I must say I don't regret it at all. I can't believe this game is getting bashed up like it is. If you loved arkham city you will love this game. Combat is as smooth as ever, and the cutscenes are AMAZING in my opinion. Great storyline so far, after about 2 hours of gameplay. WB Montreal did a good job in my opinion. Yes not much has changed gameplay wise but it's still a great game. This game deserves a higher rating. Go buy it! Expand
  66. Nov 1, 2013
    over all I am giving this a 9 out of 10. the story is fantastic on par if not better then arkham asylum/city. that being said, there are a LOT of bugs. some are a minor annoyance such as slight pauses in frame rate when playing. and textures being grainy or blurred (this was also in asylum and city. however it seems to be much more pronounced here. sometimes when using the fast travelover all I am giving this a 9 out of 10. the story is fantastic on par if not better then arkham asylum/city. that being said, there are a LOT of bugs. some are a minor annoyance such as slight pauses in frame rate when playing. and textures being grainy or blurred (this was also in asylum and city. however it seems to be much more pronounced here. sometimes when using the fast travel system the game will freeze, for sometimes just short periods, to actually freezeing up all together and having to restart the system. quite frequently I have experienced loss of sound when fast traveling (i.e. whole sequence is silent) the developers are working on a patch that will hopefully fix all of this and more, so that is why I am giving this such a high score, the devs know about its problems, and are working on a solution. going back to the store, there are plenty of twists to keep players thrilled/entertained and is a wonderful addition to the previous 2 games. troy baker nailed joker perfectly, and Rodger Craig Smith makes an excellent Batman. hope to see these two again repraising their roles on a fallow up sequel to the prequel. I would recommend anyone play this and enjoy all the good in it, not focus on the small bad parts that can and will be fixed. Expand
  67. Nov 5, 2013
    For a game with a lot of pressure behind it, i must say it did a very good job. If i look at it as the first game from this company in a batman franchise to begin, than this game is nearly a perfect game, but its not, its the third game in an already set world, now with no way to top Arkham City, and of course needing Joker to be in the story, doing a origins story made sense. Pros of theFor a game with a lot of pressure behind it, i must say it did a very good job. If i look at it as the first game from this company in a batman franchise to begin, than this game is nearly a perfect game, but its not, its the third game in an already set world, now with no way to top Arkham City, and of course needing Joker to be in the story, doing a origins story made sense. Pros of the game. 1. Players already know the controls, the feel for combat, moving and sneaking around, and countering. 2. Boss Battles, not all boss battles in this game are fantastic, but ones that stand out are pretty fantastic. Bane (all of them) Deathstroke, Firefly. 3. Troy Baker, doing a fantastic job with the joker, specially if you look back at his past work. 4. JOKER IS BACK, (Spoiler) DIDN'T see that coming with joker being behind the black mask, and also the quick play of joker, fantastic. 5. Story, no where near as good as Arkham City, but better than Aslyum, specially near the end of this game. Cons. 1. New gadgets. Glue grenade bugged me a lot, its identical to the freeze grenade, the electric gloves make the combat system way to easy, and brings the game down to easy level, and doesn't feel like batman, also it is such amazing gadget, where is it later on in his career, he can use it to win any fight, and bring people back if able to. 2. Boss fights, it was a pro, but also, some of these bosses are too easy and just lazy. there are not exciting or hard as the good ones, copperhead was just a gang fight, killer croc was a huge disappointment, and side mission assassins seem a little lazy it what could be much better. Con 3. Where is the nerd love? Previous games were not shy in the Easter egg department, or side missions. I've already done a mad hatter side mission, but remember hush? remember finding calender man? It was a bit disappointing to see side mission characters we have done before, and lack of Easter eggs. Overall. At the end of the day, game play was fun, yes its not new but i feel i would of complained if i had to re learn a game i already should know. Story was tight, and had me pretty excited at a good amount of times, and finally i had fun, which is the purpose of a game. 8.5/10 for me. Expand
  68. Nov 7, 2013
    Hypocritical bastards!!! IGN and Gamespot the 2 worst review sources you can possibly look at.. they give every CoD a 85/100 every year but the second something else does it its automatically bad.. Good job IGN/Gamespot.. The reason it hasn't changed much is because its not the same studio and the new one did not want to touch the next to perfect formula and the formula all Batman fansHypocritical bastards!!! IGN and Gamespot the 2 worst review sources you can possibly look at.. they give every CoD a 85/100 every year but the second something else does it its automatically bad.. Good job IGN/Gamespot.. The reason it hasn't changed much is because its not the same studio and the new one did not want to touch the next to perfect formula and the formula all Batman fans love.. If you loved city and Asylum you'll love this Expand
  69. Nov 19, 2013
    Not bad, not bad at all. Big thumbs up to this game. Screw IGN, Gamespot and any other idiotic biased review who only bases the rating of this game in comparison to its predecessors. It's ridioculous how this game is not receiving 9's and 10's only because people think it's too similar to Arkham City WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THAT? The reason I bought the damn game is because I hoped itNot bad, not bad at all. Big thumbs up to this game. Screw IGN, Gamespot and any other idiotic biased review who only bases the rating of this game in comparison to its predecessors. It's ridioculous how this game is not receiving 9's and 10's only because people think it's too similar to Arkham City WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THAT? The reason I bought the damn game is because I hoped it would be like Asylum and City and Origins delivers that. If Arkham city didn't exist,this game would have been called a masterpiece and given a 10/10. And for all the people that give this game low ratings because of similarities to the previous games, these are the same people that give Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassins Creed, FIFA, even Super Mario and Pokemon games 8-10 ratings every year for the same games. So why is Arkham Origins treated differently? Because its "Batman" and people's expectations rise though the roofs with anything Batman related. Just look at the Ben Afleck reaction, people didn't even give him a chance. Expand
  70. Nov 20, 2013
    Been playing for a while now. Yes all the blah blah about it not being as refined as the last one, but this story line is so much more in depth and involving in the villains...its become truly addicting and I can't stop playing. The music is also excellent like Arkham City, which I forgot to mention before. Loving this game and definitely recommend it.
  71. Feb 17, 2014
    The Batman Arkham games are among my favorite of the last generation. So i was more than a little worried when Warner Bros announced that a different studio was making the next one without most of the original cast.

Overall i think that the story is good and the voice actors do a fine job at portraying the characters. The gameplay on the other hand feels a bit off, the combat feels a bit more sluggish and i encountered more than a few bugs throughout the game that forced me to restart the checkpoint.

As a Batman fan i was excited to see the introduction of some of best Batman villains in the Arkham series. I was a bit disappointed that some of the new characters are little more than boss fights while the overall story is yet again centered around the Joker. Besides that i still liked the story, especially the interactions with Alfred and Gordon.

Overall this is a good game for Batman fans but i would advice people to wait for some patches because the bugs are quite immersion breaking
  72. Feb 20, 2014
    Batman arkham origins is good game, which is long, the story is the best of three games, with many side quests and funny, but he game is exactly to batman arkham city, this has a good side (batman arkham city is one of the best game of this generation), and bad side , the game has the same gameplay, with the same animations, the same situations (that resolve same that last game), the sameBatman arkham origins is good game, which is long, the story is the best of three games, with many side quests and funny, but he game is exactly to batman arkham city, this has a good side (batman arkham city is one of the best game of this generation), and bad side , the game has the same gameplay, with the same animations, the same situations (that resolve same that last game), the same gadgets or similar.

Batman arkham origins is a good game (like I said at the beginning), but is too similar at batman arkham city.
  73. Jan 27, 2014
    Despite the mixed reviews, I believe that Arkham Origins may not be the strongest addition to the franchise, its awesome story (including side missions) great new enemy types, stellar voice acting from all across the board - Arkham Origins is a strong title and should definitely be picked up.
  74. Oct 25, 2013
    I have to say I was worried about this game not been developed by Rocksteady but I was wrong this game is just as good as the first two games the game looks great the city is vast enough the villains are cool the gadgets are top notch the boss fight are intense like the Deathstroke boss fight now that bastard was hard and I think the story is the best I've seen in an Arkham game like II have to say I was worried about this game not been developed by Rocksteady but I was wrong this game is just as good as the first two games the game looks great the city is vast enough the villains are cool the gadgets are top notch the boss fight are intense like the Deathstroke boss fight now that bastard was hard and I think the story is the best I've seen in an Arkham game like I said I was worried but now I played it I was surprised to see the standard was the same if you are a fan of the other games this is right up your ally best superhero game this year 10 out of 10 Expand
  75. Oct 25, 2013
    Looks good, flows the way it should. The story keeps me interested. But I deduct 1/2 point for a city with no civilians whatsoever, 1/2 for fewer pleasant surprises in the details, and a full point for tinkering with the control system: Upper and lower L and R functions have changed place, but only for the gadgets. You'll still use R1 when you grapple, and everything else is the same.Looks good, flows the way it should. The story keeps me interested. But I deduct 1/2 point for a city with no civilians whatsoever, 1/2 for fewer pleasant surprises in the details, and a full point for tinkering with the control system: Upper and lower L and R functions have changed place, but only for the gadgets. You'll still use R1 when you grapple, and everything else is the same. Rather frustrating for anyone who, like me, recently replayed Arkham City because of the anticipation. Expand
  76. Oct 29, 2013
    This game is seriously being underrated.

Is it as good as Arkham City? No...BUT mainly because it really doesnt change much up. If this game had come out after Asylum and before AC, or before BOTH, this game would be getting much more praise than it has. The story is excellent and "neater" than AC. The only things to mentioned that are really negative are the framerate a few
    This game is seriously being underrated.

The only things to mentioned that are really negative are the framerate a few bugs. The framerate at certain parts is pretty bad....but its not so bad that it hinders the experience. And then there are more bugs than previous Arkhams had. For instance, there were a few times where I saw enemeies running in place, and sometimes in mid air...and there was one time I saw a sniper between two platforms, point at a wall. But, it was only a few times.

Another minor complaint is that the controls dont seem QUITE as repsonsive as they were in AC, but not extremely noticeable...but still noticeable enough...however you could make the argument that Batman is not quite as instinctive as he is later in his career and thus, slower to react.

Also, another minor gripe is the city feels too empty....moreso than AC....mainly because its a much bigger area of the city, civilian populated area, and not enough going on. Even with the curfew thing, Christmas Eve and the weather, I still found myself hoping that there were some civilians at some point....there didnt need to be ton, but some scattered around the city wouldve been nice.

The story is fantastic for what it is. The game is soley to develop Batman and his relationship with Gordon and the city of Gotham. It doesnt develop the enemies as well as the other games (except the Joker, who is done very well, and maybe Bane)....but they do an excellent job with Bruce Wayne, Batman, his relationship with Alfred, Jim Gordon and the city of Gotham. You can truly feel that Batman is gaining trust and by the end, you feel like you will be trusted much more going forward.

Voice acting is superb. Roger Craig Smith brings more vigor and grit than Conroy (although Conroy is still the king) and Troy Baker sounds maniacal as the Joker, and most of the time, sound just like Hammill.

The scores dont allow for decimal points so I rounded up, but I give this game an 8.7. If this game came out before AC, Id give it a 9.5 or so, but not enough changed.

All in all, its a very good game and very enjoyable if you liked the first two. Some haters try to act like its greatly inferior to the first 2, which is complete nonsense. Anyone saying that is likely a narrow minded fanboy that wrote the game off as soon as it was announced Rocksteady and Conroy were not involved. That is not to say there are no legit reasons not to like the game, but people giving it a 0-3 are just hating. Even if you dont like it, there is no way this game ranks under a 5. At the very worst, its an average game, but trust me, if you liked the first 2 and you arent a fanboy of Rocksteady or Conroy/Hammill, you will like this game. You may not LOVE it...but you will like it.

Bottom line....even with its minor flaws, its a great way to wrap up this generation and a very good prequel story for Batman.
  77. Oct 26, 2013
    I absolutely have no idea of why biased critics like ign and gamespot are bashing the game when it improves upon its predecessors in many aspects.The game is excellent sequel to arkham city and successfully builds upon its phenomenal combat and free roam system.The combo and cover system is as satisfying as ever especially when fighting the deadly ninjas.Like arkham city many collectableI absolutely have no idea of why biased critics like ign and gamespot are bashing the game when it improves upon its predecessors in many aspects.The game is excellent sequel to arkham city and successfully builds upon its phenomenal combat and free roam system.The combo and cover system is as satisfying as ever especially when fighting the deadly ninjas.Like arkham city many collectable items can be found on the map which is big enough and the story is terrific and really make good use of the characters.Like every game it does has its shortcomings though,the city does feel empty(not crowded other than enemies on marked areas) and many of gadgets at BAT'S disposal really cant be put to good use following level design and some may feel that large chunk of the Origins map is a copy paste from Arkham city and borrows heavily from its gameplay and level mechanics instead of bringing new innovative ideas, but thats not necessarily a bad thing.Keeping in View,its being attempted by WarnerBros for the first time,this game is another beautiful addition in the beautiful series.Well done Warner Bros..thumbs up Expand
  78. Oct 27, 2013
    If you are a Batman fanatic like myself, you will love this game. It really shows off Batsy's incredible strength and intelligence as he straddles the line between ultra-detective and superhero. Some people are disappointed that WB stole a lot of the old map, but they'd be stupid not to. This is Gotham city, and arkham is a part of Gotham. The fighting mechanics are just as fluid asIf you are a Batman fanatic like myself, you will love this game. It really shows off Batsy's incredible strength and intelligence as he straddles the line between ultra-detective and superhero. Some people are disappointed that WB stole a lot of the old map, but they'd be stupid not to. This is Gotham city, and arkham is a part of Gotham. The fighting mechanics are just as fluid as ever, and I love all of the incredibly entertaining and clever. Stop reading this review and just buy the game already. Expand
  79. Oct 25, 2013
    I am huge Arkham fan, but primarily a Batman fan, so far it has not disappointed me in any way, the only thing that sets it back IMO is that it's more of the same from the last 2 games. But if you liked those games there is no reason not to like this one and to all the comic book fans I think this one considering how many characters they throw in to the mix is the best one.
  80. Oct 27, 2013
    Így 3 nap távlatából milyen érzéssel keltem fel a székemből a game befejezése után? Elég érdekes érzésekkel. Úgy éreztem mintha már játszottam volna ezt a játékot. Hiába akartak túl szárnyalni a két elődöt szerintem ez nem sikerült. Bár lehet hogy a trilógia leggyengébb része de még így is egy nagyon jó játék. Mivel rengeteg in-game tartalom van benne és a New game plus is rengetegÍgy 3 nap távlatából milyen érzéssel keltem fel a székemből a game befejezése után? Elég érdekes érzésekkel. Úgy éreztem mintha már játszottam volna ezt a játékot. Hiába akartak túl szárnyalni a két elődöt szerintem ez nem sikerült. Bár lehet hogy a trilógia leggyengébb része de még így is egy nagyon jó játék. Mivel rengeteg in-game tartalom van benne és a New game plus is rengeteg lehetőséget ad. Amellett igen sötétre is sikerült és garantáltan hozza a Arkham élet érzést és sötét tónusait. Személy szerint 10-ből 8,5-t adok mivel érződik a lehúzás szag egy adott pontból nem gond ez de akkor sem szerettem Végső szóként csak azt tudom mondani hogy mindenkinek ajánlom fanoktól kezdve az új játékosokig. Hiszen lehet hogy egy nagyon erős trilógia leggyengébb tagja de csak azért mert az előző részhez képest nem tudott újat változtatni. Hogy ez gond? Nos ezt mindenki döntse el saját maga. Számomra egy kellemes élmény volt és újra meg fogom ismételni. Batman Arkham Origins 10-ből 8,5. Expand
  81. Oct 25, 2013
    I have played through the fist half hour of the game. While its very similar to its predecessors there are a few minor issues. The graphics are a little rough around the edges and the combat animations are glitchy at times. Also it has crashed on me once so far so hopefully there will be a patch out to address these issues. The story so far seems good and well structured and the combatI have played through the fist half hour of the game. While its very similar to its predecessors there are a few minor issues. The graphics are a little rough around the edges and the combat animations are glitchy at times. Also it has crashed on me once so far so hopefully there will be a patch out to address these issues. The story so far seems good and well structured and the combat stays true to the previous games. Looking forward to playing through the entire game and I would highly recommend it. Expand
  82. Nov 1, 2013
    Finally a game that actually proves a challenge, but in a balanced way!
    Finally a game that actually proves a challenge, but in a balanced way!
    I just completed the story mode the day before writing this and I must admit that I was rather sceptical when I made the order only a few days before release, because as many reviewers have noted the game doesn't really introduce a whole lot of 'new' to the series. I say though that I'm happy they didn't change it too much what did people expect when it's the same universe, city, hero and villains? It's a game in the same series of other Batman games so of course it shares the core gameplay mechanics that the two previous titles introduced (and aced)! I started up worrying that nothing at all would have changed and that the story would be uninspired because it wasn't Rocksteady making it (so not that WB are bad at games or anything, just that it isn't their original IP/brainchild).
    Well... I was blown away from beginning to end by not just pure ecstasy of getting more content in the Batman Arkham series but the cinematics catch that Year One-style so well, the new actors fit really well with a younger cast and most importantly: I got my ass handed to me a lot of times because the game actually wants me to adapt to my own progress in the story so many games these days are easy from beginning to end and just seem like they're made for a casual audience only then you can unlock the harder difficulties after the first playthrough but it's just not the same to me. Well I think Arkham Origins is an improvement upon Asylum and City in regards to challenges because I really ended up underestimating the generic street thugs and often had to restart because I wasn't aware enough about my sorroundings during the fights. Also the bosses were amazing I didn't find them as difficult as random encounters in the city but they just felt very well put together when you think of the narrative elements.

I did encounter frame drops here and there (the consoles are old now) and it didn't always transition seamlessly between fights and CGI-movies but I think it may be more something that should be patched than an actual error in the code.

I don't know, I don't really have a lot more to say, it's just a really great experience that we rarely see these days, or I mean... we do see great gameplay but often with bad story/boring universe or great story with bad controls or no challenge in gameplay. I felt happy even when I was beaten because the game wanted me to learn from my mistakes, just like Dark Souls (though not remotely as tough!). I don't get how reviewers can really say the game is too much of the same and thus a disappointment because I think they've done more to the gameplay than, say, the occasional AC, COD or BF releases where most things stay the same (I love both BF and AC but I have got to be honest here :P). You begin Origins already knowing the controls but you quickly get to learn that some things are not exactly the way you remember them, and then there's the story which to me was the real hallmark. Now I have a lot of collectibles, side missions, tougher difficulties and challenge maps waiting for me, and I already spent around 13-15 hours on the story alone All in all a great purchase for anyone who likes Batman and just a generally well put together story from beginning to end.

9/10 (based on the minor technical issues)
  83. Nov 17, 2013
    This game is fantastic! Batman is a real badass in this game. If you loved the other two Arkham games, you will love this one as well. Maybe even more! Get it asap!!!
  84. Oct 31, 2013
    Amazing story,amazing prequel. Some characters like Barbara and Alfred are welcome to the game.
    The best boss battles of all Arkham games.
    When you get used to the L2 and R2 instead of L1 and R1 the games flow nicely.
  85. Nov 1, 2013
    Ok, this game is goddamn amazing! Firstly, I know that people have been saying it's uninventive, but I think they've used previous and a LOT of new assets to create the best Batman yet!
    About the bugs-I have only had 2 or 3 very minor ones i.e slightly dodgy takedowns on my PC Steam copy. It also includes a decent multiplayer, but the single-player alone is easily worth the price, the new devs have done a great job, and Batman looks AWESOME!
  86. Feb 7, 2014
    Now that is a bad Batman game. I've played all the Arkham games and this was completely ruined the franchise. I know Rocksteady did not make this one, but I am absolutely done with these games. The fighting is tiresome, boring, and unimaginative. Actually, that's how the whole game is.
  87. Oct 27, 2013
    Broken game. That's all that needs to be said. Framerates at one point (around the halfway point I guess?) render this game completely unplayable. Prior to that it was pretty fun, it's just reskinned Arkham City with almost no new features and a worse story (although still good). I won't bother reviewing this because it is simply a broken product, and possibly the worst frame rates I'veBroken game. That's all that needs to be said. Framerates at one point (around the halfway point I guess?) render this game completely unplayable. Prior to that it was pretty fun, it's just reskinned Arkham City with almost no new features and a worse story (although still good). I won't bother reviewing this because it is simply a broken product, and possibly the worst frame rates I've ever seen (I've played PS3 Skyrim and Dragon Age Origins). No broken product deserves a score higher than 0, no matter how good it is, shame on you WB. Expand
  88. Oct 25, 2013
    Rocksteady Games should've made the game and developed the game This is what happens when a consistent game developer like Rocksteady is not developing the game Most of the things in the game is almost similar to Batman Arkham City The graphics, the cutscenes are the only plus points of this game That is why it receives a rating of 7/10
  89. Oct 30, 2013
    I am very surprised by the low review on this game by critics and users alike. I loved this game, and I highly recommend it if you don't know how Batman's story first started out or, you have played the other games. Arkham Origins brings back the free-flow combat we all know and love, and brings in several new enemies to fight. The combat worked very good, except for a few boss fights II am very surprised by the low review on this game by critics and users alike. I loved this game, and I highly recommend it if you don't know how Batman's story first started out or, you have played the other games. Arkham Origins brings back the free-flow combat we all know and love, and brings in several new enemies to fight. The combat worked very good, except for a few boss fights I found that I would get hit or grabbed when I either parried the move or jumped out of the way. There are also a few technical glitches that are noticeable throughout the game such as: enemies will spin around looking for you after you've knocked out one of their "friends", I had a few problems with enemies getting stuck in walls, sometimes when the game auto-saves the frame-rate will drop pretty low so I would just wait it out on top of a building or something, and last of all I had problems when I wanted to fast-travel to a location the sound would cut-out and the animations would freeze. But all in all these issues could easily be fixed by a patch. Now for the good stuff! This game isn't as good as Arkham City, but, that doesn't mean you shouldn't go pick it up and get suited up. The boss fights in this game are fantastic and bring you out of the normal fights with street thugs. I loved tracking down these bosses and fighting them, it may take a couple tries to beat them, however. The voice acting was very good in this game, I loved how you could interact with your butler, Alfred, and find out what his opinion was and get experience points for it too. He also gives you new tech to use against your foes in the game, like the concussion grenade. All proving useful against large groups of enemies or enemies you just want to sneak by. Arkham is bigger than ever and still looks as beautiful! I loved to sit up on a perch and look down at the city. Another big addition to the game are cut-scenes. And these cut-scenes are great! They are all made in CG, which makes them look very good. I recommend this game to anyone who's played any of the other games, wants to know Batman's beginning and past or if you're playing a Batman game for the first time, this actually would be the best game to start with, then Arkham Asylum and then Arkham City. But that's all just my opinion, the game deserves a solid 8/10 no doubt! Expand
  90. Mar 2, 2014
    A worthy and fun addition to the Arkham series. Playing as a younger, more reckless Batman is a real treat and playing through his first encounters with several supervillians is an engrossing journey of discovery. The acting and writing rise to the standard set by "Assylum" and "City" and the gameplay is familiar without being routine.

The problems "Arkham Origins". Has are mostly

The problems "Arkham Origins". Has are mostly technical. There are frame-rate issues with the game, and there are glitches that will break the flow, especially when ending a combat encounter. The game even crashed on me more than once during its autosave. As far as gameplay goes, the game is stingy with its grapple points, and that bogs down the navigation. Also, some of the achievements are blood-boilingly difficult to accomplish; the combat achievements being extremely tough and the stealth achievements difficult because the game won't give you the maps you need to fulfill them.

But for everything the makers get wrong, they get three things right - and "Arkham Origins" is a good Batman game that will more than tide one over until Rocksteady returns to Gotham.
  91. Oct 30, 2013
  92. Oct 28, 2013
    An ok game definitely not the best in the Arkham series. Graphics are bout the same a bit better than Arkham city. Story is top notch. The gameplay... Is the same. The open world feels empty and feels like you already been there. Combat is mostly the same. The only new feature new to the Arkham verse is reconstructing a crime scene these are very fun and cool to watch. In the end this gameAn ok game definitely not the best in the Arkham series. Graphics are bout the same a bit better than Arkham city. Story is top notch. The gameplay... Is the same. The open world feels empty and feels like you already been there. Combat is mostly the same. The only new feature new to the Arkham verse is reconstructing a crime scene these are very fun and cool to watch. In the end this game boils down to being a rehash nowhere near terrible but it just feels to similar to Arkham city and not worth $60 in my opinion. A good game but not great. Expand
  93. Mar 27, 2014
    Yet another fantastic entry in the Arkham series! Origins impressed me beyond my expectations and is without a doubt my favorite of the trilogy! The gameplay of its predecessors and most of it mechanics remain mostly the same ( the only exception being the shock gloves in combat ). Where Origins really shines is its story. It is engaging and kept me hooked and engaged from the moment iYet another fantastic entry in the Arkham series! Origins impressed me beyond my expectations and is without a doubt my favorite of the trilogy! The gameplay of its predecessors and most of it mechanics remain mostly the same ( the only exception being the shock gloves in combat ). Where Origins really shines is its story. It is engaging and kept me hooked and engaged from the moment i picked it up to the moment the end credits roll. There are many great twists and shocking moments throughout the story that I won't ruin for you, but trust me when I say that you won't see them coming! Origins also felt a lot more cinematic than its predecessors which is also a big plus! Long story short, Batman: Arkham Origins is an absolutely fantastic Batman game that continues the excellence that the series is known for! Expand
  94. Oct 25, 2013
  95. Oct 30, 2013
    Batman Returns in an action filled game, more of the same as batman Arkham city. The game is more of a massive dlc to batman arkham city which isn't a bad thing it just means alot of things are the same. E.g Combat is the same some gadgets are the same with some new editions. Which some people may think is a bad thing but why fix what aint broke. I only have 2 issues with the game: 1.WhenBatman Returns in an action filled game, more of the same as batman Arkham city. The game is more of a massive dlc to batman arkham city which isn't a bad thing it just means alot of things are the same. E.g Combat is the same some gadgets are the same with some new editions. Which some people may think is a bad thing but why fix what aint broke. I only have 2 issues with the game: 1.When alfred speaks its like he has no control of his mouth and looks really creepy 2.The joker i loved how the story was going without the joker and then he came which changed the whole plot thats not a bad thing but i liked how the story was going with a different villain as the main villain, the scenes with the joker are amazing though especially the part where he was talking to Harley Quinn. The graphics in this game are amazing story is great but wish the joker was more of a side character combat is good with some new additions and the boss fights are great and challenging especially death stroke last but not least the wanted missions are great with a good variety of characters the stand out of them are the Mad Hatter and Anarky. Batman Arkham origins is a good addition game but the weakest of the series. I give Batman Arkham Origins a 9. Expand
  96. Nov 2, 2013
    I'm about 30% through the game, and so far I must say I'm enjoying it! While I DO agree with SOME of what the critics are saying (complaints about the bugs and glitches being a key point of contention), I STILL don't see how they are giving this game 6s or worse. It's more of the same, yes, but like other users have been saying: if it ain't broke, don't fix it! WB Montreal was basicallyI'm about 30% through the game, and so far I must say I'm enjoying it! While I DO agree with SOME of what the critics are saying (complaints about the bugs and glitches being a key point of contention), I STILL don't see how they are giving this game 6s or worse. It's more of the same, yes, but like other users have been saying: if it ain't broke, don't fix it! WB Montreal was basically put in a no-win situation when the announcement was made that they were taking the reigns from Rockstedy--if they changed the formula too much you'd hear: "This isn't the same Batman game, they've screwed it up! This game sucks!" If they didn't change much at all and stuck with the tried and true formula from the previous games (which is obviously what they've done here) you'd hear: "This is the same Batman game, no innovation! This game sucks!"
    I must admit I had those same reservations, but after significant time with AO I can confidenly say that this title is just as good as it's predecessors. There ARE definitely some glitches, but they don't detract from the overall experience as much as some folks are saying. The voice acting is excellent as well. Roger Craig Smith and Troy Baker do an awesome job as Batman and the Joker respectively, and even the lesser roles are quite impressively conveyed. I'm even enjoying the soundtrack by Christopher Drake. The music sounds like an amalgamation of Hans Zimmer and Danny Elfman, with tracks that evoke memories from both Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy AND Burton's trademark Bat-films. Let's not forget about the boss fights--some of the best I've played in ANY game (the Deathstroke encounter in particular was an intense experience)

But enough of my rambling Haha
    The bottom line is: go and pick up Arkham Origins, you won't be disappointed
    I'm certainly not (not disappointed that is, just clarifying Hahaha)
  97. Nov 5, 2013
    I want to say, Warner Brothers did what the fans asked, keep the combat system! I liked the previous games more, but I was worried it would be worse because Rocksteady didn't make it, and it came out fine. While I do admit, it was a bit of a disappointment. The map was recycled and it makes sense because Arkham City IS just a part of Gotham City, but the enemies being as common as theyI want to say, Warner Brothers did what the fans asked, keep the combat system! I liked the previous games more, but I was worried it would be worse because Rocksteady didn't make it, and it came out fine. While I do admit, it was a bit of a disappointment. The map was recycled and it makes sense because Arkham City IS just a part of Gotham City, but the enemies being as common as they were in Arkham city makes no sense. It is no longer a super prison, it is part of Gotham. I also have to bash this game for one more thing, the upgrade system, it was flawless in Arkham city in my opinion, and they messed it up. This game is hated too much and people need to shut up about it being recycled although it is. Expand
  98. Nov 16, 2013
    This game isnt good as the first two arkham asylum was a great game and arkham city was even better. But this game goes two steps back with bug issues, storyline, and more. The way they could had fixed storyline is by showing ahead of arkham city endings meaning if they still wanted joker to be alive in this game they could had showed him tricking his death to batman instead of making aThis game isnt good as the first two arkham asylum was a great game and arkham city was even better. But this game goes two steps back with bug issues, storyline, and more. The way they could had fixed storyline is by showing ahead of arkham city endings meaning if they still wanted joker to be alive in this game they could had showed him tricking his death to batman instead of making a game where they go back before events. Games like thses are never interesting for an example god of acension, gears of war judgementand more. This game is a bit overratted. Expand
  99. Nov 18, 2013
    Arkham Origins was not a failed attempt at bringing to life another batman game, it was, however, a failed attempt at besting or even equalling both it's predecessors.
    It soon becomes evident that the flow of the game is harmed by common bugs, frame rate issues, occaisionally frustrating gameplay and an overall lifeless city.
    The gameplay, in particular the not uncommonly choked up
    The gameplay, in particular the not uncommonly choked up camera is one of the more disappointing features. Often when fighting large groups of people in small rooms, the camera moves up in to a corner of the room making it really difficult to see the people I'm fighting.
    Another disappointing feature is the complete lack luster villain lineup. I don't mean to say that the villains themselves aren't good enough, it's that they don't live up to what they could be. Often the villains you look forward to fighting the most end up just being 5 minute side missions that are a complete waste of the villains worth.

Now, to the good parts.

The story is fantastic. Don't listen to haters when they say the story is garbage compared to city or asylum. Don't get me wrong, it could have been executed better but it's great. As opposed to Arkham city's poor excuse to have a long cast of villains (that Gotham is a giant prison), origins actually has a reason for multiple bad guys.
    The boss battles are generally very well done. In particular the last bane fight and death stroke.

Overall, if you're a fan of the series, completely disregard the trash people have been talking about it. Fun is what matters in video games and this game has much of it in store.
  100. Jan 21, 2014
    Arkham Origins is a troubled game. It possesses a fantastic story that establishes the perfect foundation for the Arkham universe. In fact, this is probably one of my favorite Dark Knight tales out there, creating a thrilling back story that flawlessly demonstrates the excitement and repercussions of Batman's first encounter with the Joker. The gameplay is still solid in most regards,Arkham Origins is a troubled game. It possesses a fantastic story that establishes the perfect foundation for the Arkham universe. In fact, this is probably one of my favorite Dark Knight tales out there, creating a thrilling back story that flawlessly demonstrates the excitement and repercussions of Batman's first encounter with the Joker. The gameplay is still solid in most regards, inheriting the same fluid fighting mechanics that made the Arkham games some of the best action games ever made. Boss battles have been fine-tuned to perfection, making each fight gripping and challenging, sharply contrasting those in the previous two Arkham titles. Even the acting is great, with fantastic performances by both Roger Craig Smith as the Caped Crusader and Troy Baker, the best voice actor of 2013, portraying a younger, volatile, and deliciously psychotic Joker that even rivals the work of Mark Hamill in the original games.

With all this praise, it seems like Origins would be another stellar Batman experience. But it's not.

Origins is a good game marred by repetitiveness and unwelcome additions that hold it back from being a truly memorable experience. For instance, the combat features the new Shock Gloves, along with all of your favorite old gadgets. These new weapons can destroy any shield or break any barrier standing between you and your foes, causing you to ridiculously overpower anyone who stands in your path. In Arkham City, each fight against a new foe, such as the ninjas from the League of Shadows, required planning and different combos in order to take down the opposition. Here, you can mash the square button once the gloves are powered, quickly ruining any enjoyment or challenge to the campaign by giving you a practically automatic victory. The fighting feels much shoddier in this game as well. While City's battles felt like I was establishing a rhythm with each broken bone, Origins' fights are a struggle just to connect Batman's fists to the skulls of the street thugs. Not only do punches consistently miss their marks, but rooms can also become packed as well. In one of the later fights, enemies start randomly spawning at exponential rates, making it nearly impossible to focus on the fight, as well as causing the game to lag.

Arkham Origins' Gotham feels like a hollow version of Arkham City's masterful open world. Not all grappling points are functional, forcing you to think of alternate routes to seemingly accessible locations. What's worse about traversal, though, is the fact that you have to cross a long bridge when journeying from one end of the map to the next. This becomes extremely frustrating, since the game offers a fast-travel system via the Batwing that allows you to skip over these segments. Arkham City's world was fun to explore and full of secrets, making you want to soar over rooftops and plunge into alleyways to search for every last Easter egg. Here, the world is barren, featuring no incentive to explore or enjoy the near clone of the original open world, which is a striking missed opportunity.

Overall, the greatest sin Arkham Origins commits is the fact that it's not an entertaining experience. Aside from the engaging plot, nearly everything that made Arkham City a masterpiece has been unnecessarily edited to fit the canon or just flat out dropped altogether. Riddle trophies and puzzles have been replaced by randomly scattered extortion packs, which require little to no skill to obtain and are extremely disappointing. Similarly, most of the side missions are copied and pasted from City, swapping the villains that are involved to make it seem novel. Even Detective Mode, which on the outset looked like an intuitive new gameplay feature to compliment the blood-pumping combat, is a monotonous quest searching for red triangles instead of legitimate investigation.

When all is said and done, Arkham Origins is a game that should be played. The narrative is intense and occasionally unbelievable. Sadly, however, it doesn't receive the solid gameplay accompaniment it deserves. Too often I found myself wondering about what the game could have been, rather than enjoy the campaign I was playing. Fighting is fresh, but new additions cause the experience to feel much more hollow and less rewarding than in prior games, making you feel more like a player than the actual Dark Knight. While the flawless story, voice acting, and boss fights soar, the rest of Arkham Origins holds the game back from becoming the Batman prequel that the gaming industry truly deserves.

6.5/10

1. Jan 3, 2014
    Arkham Origins is a game with two sides. One is a well made game with good design in combat and stealth. The other side is a game that never gets out of the shadow of its predecessors. Batman fans should pay attention but that’s it.
  2. Dec 20, 2013
    Initiation is a very regular package, which relies on the idea of the origins of the bat and retrieves the imagination of Batman Begins, but then binds the player into a series of challenges from a widely known flavor.
  3. Dec 13, 2013
    I really hope that Rocksteady can still teach an old bat new tricks, because WB Games Montreal failed to advance the series. What we have here are old gameplay mechanics – which still work fine by the way – sold to us for the third time and supplemented with a bit of fresh ideas that don’t have a sufficient impact on the whole game (and sometimes are simply bad). [13/2013, p.56]