7.7

1. Oct 28, 2013
    Clearly the weakest entry into the series. Being that the mechanics and engine are the same as the first two, the devs missed an chance to focus on the story.
  2. Oct 29, 2013
    The game suffers from technical issues. After fast travelling in the batwing the framerate starts dropping causing the game to become literally unplayabale. As far as content the story seems rushed and by far not as polished as the previous installations of arkham.

In Asylum and City it was clear that you would only meet thugs cause you were battling through prisons. But I'm left wondering why on earth every character in origins is a thug. There are no normal NPS in the whole of Gotham. None at all.

Overall in comparison to the previous Arkham games this one is a massive dissapointment.
  3. Jan 6, 2014
    A great game. However, it lacks a proper storyline. Such as a decent flow. Many of the side missions could have been part of the main story to make it more interesting. Other than that the graphics were good and the game ran smoothly.
  4. Oct 27, 2013
    Great prequel to the series.....Enjoyed the story and setup to the later games. Not as polished as Arkham City, but still badass and stylish in its own right. I loved the boss battles.
  5. Nov 10, 2013
    This game is getting far too high a score. I can only assume people are overlooking its bland, flat story and the myriad of technical issues due to it being a "batman" game.
    I loved the first two Arkham games but this is just a cynical cash-in and it has made me lose respect for whomever was responsible for the license being handed over.
    I'm going to put on my sacrasta-hat on now: I
    I'm going to put on my sacrasta-hat on now:
    I LOVE how this game crashed about 6 times in my 7 hour playthrough.
    I LOVE how the frame rate dipped to totally unacceptable levels, consistently.
    I LOVE how it's basically the same area as in "City" with a few tacked on sections and that a really crap reason was used for why there are ABSOLUTELY NO citizens walking about (bad weather) on Christmas eve.
    I LOVE the samey boss fights with such CLASSIC and renowned villans as Firefly (ooh!), Deathstroke (Ahhh!) Shiva (FAAAAART! )and Copperhead (eh?).
    I LOVE how the game had already been patched THRICE (over 50 mbs each!!) and that the technical issues I experienced were in NO WAY amended.
    I LOVE how there are much fewer collectibles and side quests than in "City" and that any there are are disgustingly similar to those in "City"
    I LOVE how I never gor to see how the story panned out between Batman and two of the eight assassins because 1. A bug in the game meant that it wouldn't acknowledge that I had completed one of the tasks and 2. The story was obviously chopped down and left for future DLC (As if the very idea that I would buy and DLC or spend any more money on this pile of kack game is laughable)
    There are alot more things about this game that I LOVED but there just aren't enough hours in the day.
    If you absolutely mut play this wait 'till it's way down in price but even then I still wouldn't bother if I knew what I know now.

P.S. This game isn't very good.
  6. Oct 25, 2013
    This game doesn't feel as polished as when Rocksteady had the helm. Straight away I noticed bugs, nothing game breaking. But not what I have come to expect when playing a Batman game these days. This game is mediocre at best, no real advancements. Just a reworking of what has gone before with a bigger map. On top of which quick-time events in boss battle make combat frustrating.This game doesn't feel as polished as when Rocksteady had the helm. Straight away I noticed bugs, nothing game breaking. But not what I have come to expect when playing a Batman game these days. This game is mediocre at best, no real advancements. Just a reworking of what has gone before with a bigger map. On top of which quick-time events in boss battle make combat frustrating. Combat hasn't evolved either it's gone backwards. The takedown where you knock a guy out when they are dazed, hardly ever seems to work. Instead Batman jumps into empty space and beats the ground. So far it's just OK, nothing special and just seems to be lacking that polish that Rocksteady brought to the mix. Expand
  7. Oct 26, 2013
    Don't get me wrong i love the batman games but.... This sequel falls a little short in the originality department in terms of game play its the exact same game not really a advancement of the series, and feels a little bit more buggy not through the entire game yet and cut scenes and fights i've noticed some freezing. Still its great! 7 because its more of the same but if your not a hugeDon't get me wrong i love the batman games but.... This sequel falls a little short in the originality department in terms of game play its the exact same game not really a advancement of the series, and feels a little bit more buggy not through the entire game yet and cut scenes and fights i've noticed some freezing. Still its great! 7 because its more of the same but if your not a huge batman fan I cant see none batman fans giving this a 10. *10 in my opinion is a masterpiece that everyone should play, regardless of your fandom ties. Expand
  8. Oct 25, 2013
    Certainly not what you'd expect from a Batman: Arkham game. The moves are about the same, the graphics haven't changed one bit, it's filled with a lot of bugs (albeit minor ones) and with too many quicktime events. It's clear WB Montreal was just trying to gain profit by using the name of a loved franchise like this, and just adding a few hardly relevant features to at least claim thatCertainly not what you'd expect from a Batman: Arkham game. The moves are about the same, the graphics haven't changed one bit, it's filled with a lot of bugs (albeit minor ones) and with too many quicktime events. It's clear WB Montreal was just trying to gain profit by using the name of a loved franchise like this, and just adding a few hardly relevant features to at least claim that they're doing something new. The city is big, sure, but not as HUGE as the developers claimed it would be. The atmosphere is nice, I guess, the voicework is superb, with Troy Baker totally mastering the voice of Batman's archnemesis, The Joker. The game was shorter than the previous ones, and the Deathstroke playable character was just Robin made to look like Deathstroke.

Overall, I think the game is fine. Although, I recommend you wait until the price drops.
  9. Oct 26, 2013
    It's not terrible but after playing Asylum and City this falls a little flat for me. The tone is a little lighter and a lot less creepy. It feels more like The Amazing Spider-Man videogame, guest starring Batman, than it does an Arkham game. I miss the decrepit broken down Arkham city of the second game. Also (and this applies to all the Arkham games) why are there no female criminals?It's not terrible but after playing Asylum and City this falls a little flat for me. The tone is a little lighter and a lot less creepy. It feels more like The Amazing Spider-Man videogame, guest starring Batman, than it does an Arkham game. I miss the decrepit broken down Arkham city of the second game. Also (and this applies to all the Arkham games) why are there no female criminals? There are a few female supervillains but other than that... I guess females go all out evil or not at all. This'll hold me over until the next one comes out on next-gen but it's a shame that, after the phenomenal first two games, this just feels like a placeholder while we wait for Rocksteady to do their thing. By the way I have had to restart the game on several occasions due to crashes or Batman slipping through the floor of an elevator he was supposed to be riding up then falling off the map into oblivion. Hopefully they will fix this with a patch ASAP. Expand
  10. Oct 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off there were more than a few bugs, target npc's not talking and then falling through the map, the entire bridge not being solid and you fall into the water over and over. Next there was the sudden, HUH? ending ala RAGE. One minute I was makin Puddin out of Puddin, expecting to go out and finish off some bad guys and assassins, then credits roll and game over. I did not like the whole way the skill tree was set up. In Arkham city you could choose the path that got you to disarm and destroy without having to go though 10 points of "shiny Armor" It was still a Batman game and coasting through on the previous Arkhams popularity seems to be what they were aiming for. Like when your mom threw you that 10 year old granola bar to hold you over till STuckey's on a long trip. The voice acting was good and a lot of the script was downright awesome. But the mechanics of moving through Gotham? There were huge buildings in your way and you had to go around ind of like some zones in old everquest. Then there was 9 year old Barbara Gordon hacking your comms. Holy Will Robinson, Batman! And I DID like the while Year One feel to the game.Play Spiderman web of shadows on the PC and load it up on the PS2. It is kind of like that feeling. I finished the game in less than 12 hours. Anyhow if you paid full price for this game (like me), sorry. If you bought the useless game guide, even more sorry for ya, cuz I did both.But at least AC blag flag comes out in less than 48 hours... Expand
  11. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is too much a carbon copy of Arkham City. I'm disappointed because the amount I paid for it. It's more like a DLC, I really dislike the extreme similarities. Quick tip: if you have Arkham City, don't play this. If you are new to the Arkhamverse, get this. Gameplay is exactly the same but with some polishes. Story makes me give this game a 5. Is not BAD, but is not good. It couldThis game is too much a carbon copy of Arkham City. I'm disappointed because the amount I paid for it. It's more like a DLC, I really dislike the extreme similarities. Quick tip: if you have Arkham City, don't play this. If you are new to the Arkhamverse, get this. Gameplay is exactly the same but with some polishes. Story makes me give this game a 5. Is not BAD, but is not good. It could be a lot more, the assassins thing could have been A LOT better, exploit more them, exploit more the story behind them and their relationship with Batman. The only villain that got that is the Joker and Bane a little bit. Nobody else have an interesting story, just a fight some chit chat and we are done. Again, disappointed. Expand
  12. Nov 18, 2013
    Arkham Origins was not a failed attempt at bringing to life another batman game, it was, however, a failed attempt at besting or even equalling both it's predecessors.
    It soon becomes evident that the flow of the game is harmed by common bugs, frame rate issues, occaisionally frustrating gameplay and an overall lifeless city.
    The gameplay, in particular the not uncommonly choked up
    The gameplay, in particular the not uncommonly choked up camera is one of the more disappointing features. Often when fighting large groups of people in small rooms, the camera moves up in to a corner of the room making it really difficult to see the people I'm fighting.
    Another disappointing feature is the complete lack luster villain lineup. I don't mean to say that the villains themselves aren't good enough, it's that they don't live up to what they could be. Often the villains you look forward to fighting the most end up just being 5 minute side missions that are a complete waste of the villains worth.

Now, to the good parts.

The story is fantastic. Don't listen to haters when they say the story is garbage compared to city or asylum. Don't get me wrong, it could have been executed better but it's great. As opposed to Arkham city's poor excuse to have a long cast of villains (that Gotham is a giant prison), origins actually has a reason for multiple bad guys.
    The boss battles are generally very well done. In particular the last bane fight and death stroke.

Overall, if you're a fan of the series, completely disregard the trash people have been talking about it. Fun is what matters in video games and this game has much of it in store.
  13. Jan 21, 2014
    Arkham Origins is a troubled game. It possesses a fantastic story that establishes the perfect foundation for the Arkham universe. In fact, this is probably one of my favorite Dark Knight tales out there, creating a thrilling back story that flawlessly demonstrates the excitement and repercussions of Batman's first encounter with the Joker. The gameplay is still solid in most regards,Arkham Origins is a troubled game. It possesses a fantastic story that establishes the perfect foundation for the Arkham universe. In fact, this is probably one of my favorite Dark Knight tales out there, creating a thrilling back story that flawlessly demonstrates the excitement and repercussions of Batman's first encounter with the Joker. The gameplay is still solid in most regards, inheriting the same fluid fighting mechanics that made the Arkham games some of the best action games ever made. Boss battles have been fine-tuned to perfection, making each fight gripping and challenging, sharply contrasting those in the previous two Arkham titles. Even the acting is great, with fantastic performances by both Roger Craig Smith as the Caped Crusader and Troy Baker, the best voice actor of 2013, portraying a younger, volatile, and deliciously psychotic Joker that even rivals the work of Mark Hamill in the original games.

With all this praise, it seems like Origins would be another stellar Batman experience. But it's not.

Origins is a good game marred by repetitiveness and unwelcome additions that hold it back from being a truly memorable experience. For instance, the combat features the new Shock Gloves, along with all of your favorite old gadgets. These new weapons can destroy any shield or break any barrier standing between you and your foes, causing you to ridiculously overpower anyone who stands in your path. In Arkham City, each fight against a new foe, such as the ninjas from the League of Shadows, required planning and different combos in order to take down the opposition. Here, you can mash the square button once the gloves are powered, quickly ruining any enjoyment or challenge to the campaign by giving you a practically automatic victory. The fighting feels much shoddier in this game as well. While City's battles felt like I was establishing a rhythm with each broken bone, Origins' fights are a struggle just to connect Batman's fists to the skulls of the street thugs. Not only do punches consistently miss their marks, but rooms can also become packed as well. In one of the later fights, enemies start randomly spawning at exponential rates, making it nearly impossible to focus on the fight, as well as causing the game to lag.

Arkham Origins' Gotham feels like a hollow version of Arkham City's masterful open world. Not all grappling points are functional, forcing you to think of alternate routes to seemingly accessible locations. What's worse about traversal, though, is the fact that you have to cross a long bridge when journeying from one end of the map to the next. This becomes extremely frustrating, since the game offers a fast-travel system via the Batwing that allows you to skip over these segments. Arkham City's world was fun to explore and full of secrets, making you want to soar over rooftops and plunge into alleyways to search for every last Easter egg. Here, the world is barren, featuring no incentive to explore or enjoy the near clone of the original open world, which is a striking missed opportunity.

Overall, the greatest sin Arkham Origins commits is the fact that it's not an entertaining experience. Aside from the engaging plot, nearly everything that made Arkham City a masterpiece has been unnecessarily edited to fit the canon or just flat out dropped altogether. Riddle trophies and puzzles have been replaced by randomly scattered extortion packs, which require little to no skill to obtain and are extremely disappointing. Similarly, most of the side missions are copied and pasted from City, swapping the villains that are involved to make it seem novel. Even Detective Mode, which on the outset looked like an intuitive new gameplay feature to compliment the blood-pumping combat, is a monotonous quest searching for red triangles instead of legitimate investigation.

When all is said and done, Arkham Origins is a game that should be played. The narrative is intense and occasionally unbelievable. Sadly, however, it doesn't receive the solid gameplay accompaniment it deserves. Too often I found myself wondering about what the game could have been, rather than enjoy the campaign I was playing. Fighting is fresh, but new additions cause the experience to feel much more hollow and less rewarding than in prior games, making you feel more like a player than the actual Dark Knight. While the flawless story, voice acting, and boss fights soar, the rest of Arkham Origins holds the game back from becoming the Batman prequel that the gaming industry truly deserves.

6.5/10
  14. Feb 20, 2014
    Batman arkham origins is good game, which is long, the story is the best of three games, with many side quests and funny, but he game is exactly to batman arkham city, this has a good side (batman arkham city is one of the best game of this generation), and bad side , the game has the same gameplay, with the same animations, the same situations (that resolve same that last game), the sameBatman arkham origins is good game, which is long, the story is the best of three games, with many side quests and funny, but he game is exactly to batman arkham city, this has a good side (batman arkham city is one of the best game of this generation), and bad side , the game has the same gameplay, with the same animations, the same situations (that resolve same that last game), the same gadgets or similar.

Batman arkham origins is a good game (like I said at the beginning), but is too similar at batman arkham city.
  15. Dec 24, 2013
    The game is not as good as Arkham City or Asylum. No matter if your personal taste says that it's the best of the three, you can not convince no one with facts that this game is better then the others. The game is pretty good, fun, cool. But you can feel the Assassin's Creed writer amateur level compared to Paul Dini in this. I refuse to say this game is part of the Arkham trilogy, I willThe game is not as good as Arkham City or Asylum. No matter if your personal taste says that it's the best of the three, you can not convince no one with facts that this game is better then the others. The game is pretty good, fun, cool. But you can feel the Assassin's Creed writer amateur level compared to Paul Dini in this. I refuse to say this game is part of the Arkham trilogy, I will just consider a spin off. Expand
  16. Oct 25, 2013
    Rocksteady Games should've made the game and developed the game This is what happens when a consistent game developer like Rocksteady is not developing the game Most of the things in the game is almost similar to Batman Arkham City The graphics, the cutscenes are the only plus points of this game That is why it receives a rating of 7/10
  17. Oct 28, 2013
    An ok game definitely not the best in the Arkham series. Graphics are bout the same a bit better than Arkham city. Story is top notch. The gameplay... Is the same. The open world feels empty and feels like you already been there. Combat is mostly the same. The only new feature new to the Arkham verse is reconstructing a crime scene these are very fun and cool to watch. In the end this gameAn ok game definitely not the best in the Arkham series. Graphics are bout the same a bit better than Arkham city. Story is top notch. The gameplay... Is the same. The open world feels empty and feels like you already been there. Combat is mostly the same. The only new feature new to the Arkham verse is reconstructing a crime scene these are very fun and cool to watch. In the end this game boils down to being a rehash nowhere near terrible but it just feels to similar to Arkham city and not worth $60 in my opinion. A good game but not great. Expand
  18. Nov 16, 2013
    This game isnt good as the first two arkham asylum was a great game and arkham city was even better. But this game goes two steps back with bug issues, storyline, and more. The way they could had fixed storyline is by showing ahead of arkham city endings meaning if they still wanted joker to be alive in this game they could had showed him tricking his death to batman instead of making aThis game isnt good as the first two arkham asylum was a great game and arkham city was even better. But this game goes two steps back with bug issues, storyline, and more. The way they could had fixed storyline is by showing ahead of arkham city endings meaning if they still wanted joker to be alive in this game they could had showed him tricking his death to batman instead of making a game where they go back before events. Games like thses are never interesting for an example god of acension, gears of war judgementand more. This game is a bit overratted. Expand
  19. Mar 2, 2014
    A worthy and fun addition to the Arkham series. Playing as a younger, more reckless Batman is a real treat and playing through his first encounters with several supervillians is an engrossing journey of discovery. The acting and writing rise to the standard set by "Assylum" and "City" and the gameplay is familiar without being routine.

The problems "Arkham Origins". Has are mostly

The problems "Arkham Origins". Has are mostly technical. There are frame-rate issues with the game, and there are glitches that will break the flow, especially when ending a combat encounter. The game even crashed on me more than once during its autosave. As far as gameplay goes, the game is stingy with its grapple points, and that bogs down the navigation. Also, some of the achievements are blood-boilingly difficult to accomplish; the combat achievements being extremely tough and the stealth achievements difficult because the game won't give you the maps you need to fulfill them.

But for everything the makers get wrong, they get three things right - and "Arkham Origins" is a good Batman game that will more than tide one over until Rocksteady returns to Gotham.
  20. Jun 21, 2014
    It's good however "Batman: Arkham Origins" lacks new and fresh ideas. Everything you saw in "Arkham Asylum" and "Arkham City" is in this game but with no improvement. The combat system, the gadgets, the missions and the side missions everything looks the same. But Arkham Origins can be good to play with Multiplayer. The multiplayer is exciting and good.
  21. Jun 5, 2015
    Out of the 3 games already released, this, asylum and city. this is certainly the worst of the bunch. It feels different but not in the right way, the combat is far too easy, the dialogue is no where near as good, the storyline is pretty pants and my biggest complaint was how long it went on for!!! Come the end of the story is become a drag which is never good in a game.
  22. Oct 29, 2013
    Review resubmission from an 8 down to a 5 due to all the bugs I've experienced, not acceptable; especially from a AAA game with high expectations, paying 60 quid for a game I expect to experience it without it being ruined by frame rate issues, now I understand why the reviews weren't allowed to be published until the launch of the game.
  23. Nov 24, 2013
    I was looking forward to this game ever since it was announced. Having been a fan of both Asylum and City, I couldn't wait to see what Montreal was gonna do with this next batman game. Unfortunately its nothing new. Just City with a bigger map, even considering half of the map is from Arkham City. Lets look at the game play, first I have no problem that they used the same combat system asI was looking forward to this game ever since it was announced. Having been a fan of both Asylum and City, I couldn't wait to see what Montreal was gonna do with this next batman game. Unfortunately its nothing new. Just City with a bigger map, even considering half of the map is from Arkham City. Lets look at the game play, first I have no problem that they used the same combat system as the previous batman games, I love beating thugs up no matter how I'm doin it. Gadgets however I have a issue with, besides the electric gloves, there's really nothing new except gadgets that are exactly the same from city but with a different name (ex: City: ice grenade, Origins: glue grenade.). Now with bugs. This game has a lot of them and even giving this review after its been out almost a month it still suffers from bugs. Also I thought GTA5 had some had rendering issues, this game is way worse of that. I'll get into areas or streets and stay there as I watch thugs load in 2 feet away from me, and passing buildings and signs and they just looked like crap before it finally loaded. That's how bad it is. I've probably fallen through the map more times than i can count as well. I hope these issues get fixed soon, so the fans can enjoy the game bug free. The story is nothing special, As you heard 8 assassins go after batman for money, seems simple only they talk and talk bout batman facing Black Mask and (spoiler) it ends up being the Joker instead. I'm not saying its bad bringing him in but the way they did it to me was pathetic. One last thing the season pass crap is one of the worst things, I mean people are paying 20 bucks for skins and dlc's and the makers make you have to work to get those skins,whether its getting all medals on challenge mode or finding all enigma packs its stupid. It's like i payed money to play with those skins don't make me do more crap so i can only unlock usually one at a time. In the end why am i even rating this game a 7 when it should probably be lower, maybe its because I'm just a big batman fan. But i would advise playing Arkham City over this if you want a better story, non buggy game play, and skins that you can buy and play as immediately without having to do some crap to unlock them. Expand
  24. Oct 30, 2013
    Never has a game filled me with such ambivalence, on one hand i love Batman, and this is a good game, there are quite a lot of bad points though which is a shame. Firstly the story/background, this is supposed to be a prequel, then why does BM have more tech than in the other 2 games? This is much more like an add on pack to Arkham city. Now i LOVED city, it was groundbreaking and iNever has a game filled me with such ambivalence, on one hand i love Batman, and this is a good game, there are quite a lot of bad points though which is a shame. Firstly the story/background, this is supposed to be a prequel, then why does BM have more tech than in the other 2 games? This is much more like an add on pack to Arkham city. Now i LOVED city, it was groundbreaking and i enjoyed every minute although i do find that i spend half my life with origins looking for where im supposed to go which is REALLY annoying. Apart from the flaws the story is quite good and fairly true to the batman world which is a big pluspoint, i just wish they had made more of an effort to make this a great game in its own right rather than making a game that is good but only because its more of the excellence that was Arkham city. If you like the other batman games you should like this just dont expect anything particularly new. Expand
  25. Nov 3, 2013
    So Batman Arkham Origins is here. Is it good? Well, yes and no. As it own, it is very good game, but since most of it's owners have also Batman Arkham Asylum or City, it ain't that good. It's greatest weakness is that it's compared to AC.

Combat and Predator missions are back, but combat is untouchable. And that isn't good. At least what they would done is to have new special moves. But no. Sure he's moves aren't exactly same, but that doesn't make it better. Sure there are new enemy types and Shock gloves, but Shock gloves then makes new enemy types useless. And old one too. You just punch everything. Sure you have new gadgets but actually there is only 2 unique, and another one is just useless. I never used it. Another one, Remote Claw makes predator missions very easy.

Story is very good and voice actors do good job. All of them. And there are also new most wanted missions and Dark Knight challenges. Some of most wanted missions are very good, but others are just same and same. And those that are good, are short. And those that aren't are too long.

Dark Knight Challenges gives you xp and upgrades but the price: Dark Knight costume is weak. Just recolored version of default as black and his belt is yellow. I've seen better Dark Knight costume as a mod in AC. But this game gives you costumes which is good, that you won't have to buy, if you want different costumes. But some of them are hard to unlock, like Injustice.

New detective vision is great and I liked it very much. But side missions for it are just same. You found body, scan it, find killer and ask him why he do it and punch him in face.

And then Deathstroke DLC? He's just Robin reskinned with 2 special moves, since disarming is same with batman and takedown is same with robin. His attacks are 80 same with Robin. it's big disappointment. Even some of his gadgets are same with Robin. Rocksteady made 4 different characters in Arkham City. WB Montreal didn't bother to make even 1 that is different then in AC.

Multiplayer is broken at least in PS3. It has many glitches and just solid 3-person shooter. It's not that bad, but not a kind, what you will play many nights.

PS3 also had many many many glitches and bugs. It froze for me 5 times in one day. Also I'm now stuck in new game falling in endless void. It slows, crashes and other. It's like they even didn't watch those bugs at all.

After they fix this buy it, if you liked AA and AC, but don't except anything very new besides story. But with 60 price tag just think twice.
  26. Nov 13, 2013
    Origins is full of glitches and bugs and simply isn't polished like the previous Arkham games because they rushed it out for a quick cash in. That's what it is, a cash in, nothing more. As a huge Arkham fan I can honestly tell you to skip this game and wait for the next Arkham game made by Rocksteady, they know what they are doing. Origins game play is worse and full of bugs. The story isOrigins is full of glitches and bugs and simply isn't polished like the previous Arkham games because they rushed it out for a quick cash in. That's what it is, a cash in, nothing more. As a huge Arkham fan I can honestly tell you to skip this game and wait for the next Arkham game made by Rocksteady, they know what they are doing. Origins game play is worse and full of bugs. The story is mediocre and ultimately pointless. Do yourself a favor and skip this one.

A major part of game play, the combat, is nearly ruined in Origins because of their laziness. The controls are less responsive than in Asylum/City which is terrible for a fast paced game like this. Often I can't counter when I should be able or Batman will start punching air instead of an enemy. All problems I do not have with the other superior Arkham games. They somehow managed to ruin the fluid Arkham game play.

The story isn't very good and actually ruins the Arkham universe as a whole. How certain characters met for the first time was better left to our imaginations because these writers were not up to the task. Batman is out of character way too much, and no, the "hes young and foolish" excuse won't work.

Now lets look at the Bat suit in Origins. Warner Bros cant do anything original so they just took the mask straight out of The Dark Knight movie. I found that amusing.
  27. Nov 18, 2013
    I've got various feelings about this game. It keeps you entertained but at the same time we have seen all this in Asylum and City. The only new thing solving cases, but they're pretty damn easy: just find evidence with detective vision and that's all, not a challenge.
    I'm not a fan of Batman, but the story is okay.
    There're few things that I don't like: - Level design is horrible. We
    I'm not a fan of Batman, but the story is okay.

There're few things that I don't like:
    - Level design is horrible. We live in year 2013 and the game designers still use invisible walls. When I went for datapacks I got stuck twice in the police station and the hotel. Also I don't understand why you can hook to some places and not others.
    - Boss fights are not different from the mobs. The exception is Bane and FireFly
    - In general the combat system is boring and primitive: you have only two combos (w/o knockouts specials) and still I recommend to use only punch to get advantage of critical hits.
    - To get advantage of gadgets in a fight, you should use auto-aim otherwise it's useless.
    - There could have been more side activities that involve not fighting any mobs. I would like to see some time races (there's only one challenge of this sort in the game)
    - Also about the collectibles: the reward for Enigma is BS, I expected some sort of confrontation.
  28. Dec 18, 2013
    Average. Played through the trilogy before starting this one. Reeks of mediocrity and corner cutting. Graphics are amazing and looks great but scratch the surface and you've got one hell of a mediocre game. No innovation at all, and stuff that shouldn't even be available to Batman as per the timeline just casually available from the start. I'm a disappointed fan.
  29. Jan 6, 2014
    Not as good as Arkham city but not horrible could have bin better yes but not horrible but Troy Baker as the Joker saves the game from mediocre so the game is good.
  30. Jun 27, 2014
    Arkham Origins is a pile of stale crumbs shed from the delicious two-layer cake that was Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. At times it's so stagnant and overly derivative that it feels like a mix-tape of AA and AC on shuffle. It's built from the severed limbs of two very good games and there's nothing particularly wrong with more-of-the-same but it contributes nothing to the Arkham lineage.Arkham Origins is a pile of stale crumbs shed from the delicious two-layer cake that was Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. At times it's so stagnant and overly derivative that it feels like a mix-tape of AA and AC on shuffle. It's built from the severed limbs of two very good games and there's nothing particularly wrong with more-of-the-same but it contributes nothing to the Arkham lineage. How enjoyable it is will be inversely proportional to your expectations. Expand
  31. Jul 14, 2014
    It's a good game, with a strong storyline and solid gameplay. Although it does not reach the greatness of Arkham City, it stands quite strong on its own. With that said, my rating for this game is only a 6 because it is the buggiest game I have ever played. Every other time I went to play this game I would run into a glitch. The most common glitch was that the game would autosave, but whenIt's a good game, with a strong storyline and solid gameplay. Although it does not reach the greatness of Arkham City, it stands quite strong on its own. With that said, my rating for this game is only a 6 because it is the buggiest game I have ever played. Every other time I went to play this game I would run into a glitch. The most common glitch was that the game would autosave, but when I turned it back on again I would have to replay a short side-mission (This type of glitch occurred about 8-10 times during my playthrough). Most of the glitches were just annoying, but there was one late in the game that prevented me from getting to 100% completion. The developers are aware of the glitches and bugs, but since it has almost been a year since they released the game it doesn't appear that they are too concerned with fixing them. With that said, this is an enjoyable game, so long as you don't run into a significant bug that will break your file. Expand
  32. Aug 12, 2014
    Seems very much a copy + paste job from Arkham City, yet never hits the same high notes. Many of the same locale are used and feels way too familiar. Seems unpolished with lots of bugs and glitches to be found. The main positives to be found are the easy but rewarding crime solving (new to the series) and another stellar narrative.
  33. Oct 25, 2014
    Its been 1 year sence Arkham Origins has been released so i thaught beter late than never, so lets begin.
    The single player of Arkham Origins is with out a dought the best part in this game for with its well written story, great fighting micanics, great voice acting, improvements on stealth, a fun open world to explore and brilliant visuals. The story takes place 5 years before the events of Arkham Asylum and Btman is still seen as a menace than a hero, and on Christmas Eve, crime lord Black Mask puts a $50 million dollar bounty on Batman and hires 8 assassins to kill batman and claim the bounty before sunrise. The single player would have been perfect but there some frame rate issues from time to time.
    Next is the challenge mode where you can train yourself in fist fights or gagets and you gain some xp for single player, this would have also been perfect but some of the levels are slighty boring.
    My score would have been much higher if not for its medioger multi player, its when your either on Bane or Jokers team and you have to shoot each other and you have to watch out for Batman and Robin, it sounds fun but its not really.
  34. Nov 8, 2014
    Pretty full of glitches and bugs game feels like a recycled arkahm city and the few modifications that DO exist can be pretty stupid. The shock gloves breaks the game's balance and they replaced the freeze stuff with glue. GLUE OF ALL THINGS. They bring back the joker, just because (even though arkahm city was supposed to be a goodbye to the villain.) Overall, the game can be fun but it'sPretty full of glitches and bugs game feels like a recycled arkahm city and the few modifications that DO exist can be pretty stupid. The shock gloves breaks the game's balance and they replaced the freeze stuff with glue. GLUE OF ALL THINGS. They bring back the joker, just because (even though arkahm city was supposed to be a goodbye to the villain.) Overall, the game can be fun but it's extreme similarity to Arkahm City hurts the game. If this is your first Arkahm game you will absolutely love this game. If you've played the first two, don't expect anything significant and wait for a price drop. Better yet, wait for Arkahm Knight. Expand
  35. Nov 18, 2014
    This game was great for the story and fighting and the very creative gameplay keeping true to the Batman games, however, instead of taking the time to actually make the game properly, Warner Bros Montreal wanted money more than a quality game and stole $60 or more like me who payed $100 for the season pass, which didn't even cover the full DLC content. The multiplayer is a joke. This gameThis game was great for the story and fighting and the very creative gameplay keeping true to the Batman games, however, instead of taking the time to actually make the game properly, Warner Bros Montreal wanted money more than a quality game and stole $60 or more like me who payed $100 for the season pass, which didn't even cover the full DLC content. The multiplayer is a joke. This game was half assed and therefore it deserves a half assed rating. Expand
  36. Jan 31, 2015
    A step down from it's predecessor, this game adds very little as a sequel and the combat system feels a little broken. Not much of a challenge if you played through the Riddler's Revenge maps in Arkham City. Has some framerate bugs that completely break gameplay if you encounter them.
  37. May 7, 2015
    Arkham Origins is a frustrating game, and not because it's difficult. Between moments of aesthetic and storytelling brilliance, technical issues and a severe lack of innovation rear their feck ugly heads. It's frustrating to see a title with so much promise lose so much of its appeal because of this.

That being said, Origins is Arkham City 1.5. This game has been on shelves for a while now, so this should come as no surprise to anyone who has shown any passing interest in it, at this point. Origins reuses a lot of the same assets found in the previous game, which is expected when it comes to the world of Gotham you'll inhabit as the caped crusader, yet re-using animations down to specific boss fight moments just screams of laziness. Aside from reusing these assets, the main set of missions, and specifically the side missions, are virtually the same as they were in Arkham City, with only things like names of items being changed. Remember the titan containers you were destroying for Bane in City? Well, they're Black Mask's drug stashes now. There's a lot about Origins that shows there wasn't nearly as much thought or care put into it as Rocksteady's incredible efforts.

Not to say that Origins isn't a fine game, in its own right. Existing in a vacuum, with complete ignorance and disregard for the two titles that came before it, Origins would have easily been considered the best Batman game ever made. However, those other two games DO exist, and they did virtually the same things a lot better.

Some things Origins brings to the table can be actual improvements. For one, the presentation in cutscenes, dialogue, and general tone, feel a lot more cinematic here. Drawing influence from places such as German expressionism films, Arkham Origins is aesthetically gorgeous, when the direction isn't being lazy, particularly later in the game. The character models look fantastic, for the most part, and the different costumes even go as far as to employ varying cape physics. It really is nice. It's just a shame that this can be often hard to appreciate due to one of the shakiest framerates I've ever seen.

Normally, I wouldn't complain about a few dropped frames here and there. I go into most games expecting to see that, after all. In Origins' case, it's abysma. Cutscenes stutter and skip like nobody's business, Batman's cape becomes jittery and janky when gliding around the streets of Gotham, and in certain cases (such as one of the Bane encounters) the poor framerate can negatively affect how you play, pretty drastically, considering the combat requires some degree of decent timing and skill. It's such a damn shame.

If not for the horrid performance, Origins could have really been a contender. Somewhat lazy, with no real innovation, but a solid game, nonetheless. However, what we're left with feels pretty far from solid. The gameplay itself is standard, but it works perfectly fine, if you were expecting more of Arkham City. The soundtrack is outstanding, as is the voice acting. Texture work can range from incredible to downright poor. Origins really is such a mixed bag. It really would have been so well presented, and a drastically better experience, if not for the abysmal framerate and downright terrible cutscene buffering.

As it stands, Arkham Origins feels entirely half-baked. It's a mesh of tried-and-true, solid ideas dissolving into its technical problems, a serious lack of will, as well as level design that simply isn't as tightly constructed or interesting as its predecessors. It's a game I would recommend to the die-hard Arkham fan, going for 100% completion and the like, since it does turn into a somewhat enjoyable timesink. For everyone else, though, I'd say it's fair to keep it out of your collection.
  38. May 25, 2015
  39. Jun 9, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game was very boring. It could have been a good game. But, it decided to be its own game. If you cut this game out of the franchise nothing will change. When it said a prequel I was excited ,but they didn't give me a game about the origins of Arkham (which it was in the tittle). Did they give it? No! The game got very boring it copied Arkham City to much. Also a plot hole is that in city Batman said he was going to try the grapple where you glide with it but Batman already knows how to do it. The game was ok. But, I can understand why people like it Expand
  40. Dec 3, 2015
    Rocksteady gave their beloved franchise to Warner Bros. while they work on Arkham Knight. And it's okay but it has some flaws.
    first the combat is still great, starting to get repetitive, and the voice acting is fine, as well as the new characters, but the story kinda feels half assed to me, and the ending is disappointing, also the new world feels very empty it may be bigger than the previous 2 but it's certainly not better, the boss fights are fun though, but it's not even an origin story like it's titled, it takes place two years into batman's career, and don't get me started on the multiplayer.
    6 words (FROM THE PEOPLE WHO MADE BRINK) drops mic........
  41. Feb 8, 2016
    Arkham Origins feels like a copy-paste version of Arkham City, except dumbed way down. The combat is the same, the gameplay mechanics are the same, the villains are the same, pretty much everything about this game is pasted over from AC, except for the story. The graphics are nice, but that doesn't make up for anything. Wait for Arkham Knight to come out and buy that.
  42. Mar 1, 2016
    So arkham origins is a good game story-wise. The story here is great just like all the arkham games. I've played all of them, but the only thing to complain about is how BORING the open world is. They have no new ideas. The riddler packs are too easy, the side missions are boring and short, and the city is LIFELESS!!! So, I did enjoy arkham origins story, the rest was crud.

1. Jan 3, 2014
    Arkham Origins is a game with two sides. One is a well made game with good design in combat and stealth. The other side is a game that never gets out of the shadow of its predecessors. Batman fans should pay attention but that’s it.
  2. Dec 20, 2013
    Initiation is a very regular package, which relies on the idea of the origins of the bat and retrieves the imagination of Batman Begins, but then binds the player into a series of challenges from a widely known flavor.
  3. CD-Action
    Dec 13, 2013
    I really hope that Rocksteady can still teach an old bat new tricks, because WB Games Montreal failed to advance the series. What we have here are old gameplay mechanics – which still work fine by the way – sold to us for the third time and supplemented with a bit of fresh ideas that don’t have a sufficient impact on the whole game (and sometimes are simply bad). [13/2013, p.56]