7.1

Oct 10, 2007
    Bitterly, bitterly disappointing.
  2. MaciejB.
    Oct 17, 2007
    I've never liked FIFA but, this is a really good football game. I find it tedious playing against high level cpu teams but online it is great. Be a Pro is good fun - it will be interesting to see how it plays online once the upgrade is released. Definitely worth the investment until PES 2008 comes out. Better than PES 6.
    Oct 4, 2007
    Debuting on the Playstation 3 in style; FIFA 08 game is the total package. STUNNING GRAPHICS and EXCELLENT GAMEPLAY. Electronic Arts has created an excellent game which in my opinion is the best in the series and possibly the greatest football game ever made. I have no complaints about this game.
  4. schlittmehr
    Sep 14, 2008
    In the battle between PES and Fifa in recent years, PES has been widely accepted to be better, and having played older titles such as fifa 05, i was inclined to agree, but fifa 08s gameplay has become a lot more fluid and easy to handle. The ingame commentary is repetitive, and it appears to wildly shift difficulty settings, as in one game i scored 11 times, and in the following game weIn the battle between PES and Fifa in recent years, PES has been widely accepted to be better, and having played older titles such as fifa 05, i was inclined to agree, but fifa 08s gameplay has become a lot more fluid and easy to handle. The ingame commentary is repetitive, and it appears to wildly shift difficulty settings, as in one game i scored 11 times, and in the following game we find a 0-0 draw. Still the online gaming is fairly well done and it is a fairly good football title. Expand
  5. ZeeM.
    Oct 6, 2007
    Complete Brilliance..The Grahpics are incredible for FIFA 08, The Trick stick is more understandable then FIFA 07, "Be A Pro" Mode Is Incredibly Fun, Just an AMAZING Game from start-TO-Finish!! BRAVO BRAVO!!
  6. TomL.
    Sep 22, 2007
    Yes, it has fancy presentation, all the proper kits but really a football game is about playing football, and in this respect, it's still the same old FIFA
  7. ChrisC.
    Sep 27, 2007
    Brilliant, this version of fifa will definately challenge pes 2008! i really think it has the ability to take over pes in terms of 'best football gameplay' wd EA!
  8. DannyB.
    Nov 16, 2007
    I waited a long time to give my opinion on the rating of this game -- rightfully so, as it has changed so much At first, I thought it was too difficult and the A.I. was too strong for the opposition and too stupid for your team. Then I began to realize their was a depth to this game that had been missing on the repackaged Fifas that had been released the previous years. Now I've come I waited a long time to give my opinion on the rating of this game -- rightfully so, as it has changed so much At first, I thought it was too difficult and the A.I. was too strong for the opposition and too stupid for your team. Then I began to realize their was a depth to this game that had been missing on the repackaged Fifas that had been released the previous years. Now I've come to a conclusion. This game is a valiant effort by EA to redesign and redefine its take on footie, but while the overall effort is very fun and playable, there are also quite a few flaws. The passing mechanic can be clumsy and often frustrating (eg "Of all players to pass it to, you decided to pick HIM -- the COVERED one!?). Your team's AI often hangs back and rarely sticks very tightly to a man, making it very easy to make tight passes in traffic. The trick stick is very difficult to use at times, but once grasped, is almost impossible to stop. Defense can be a struggle as players often get stuck behind the offensive players or completely miss on tackles allowing ball carriers to run free. With the bad, though, comes some good (and some of it is very good). The sheer depth of the game is unbelievable. All teams and players are represented (and pretty accurately as well). The game modes are numerous and extremely fun. "Be a Pro" mode is a welcome change and the incorporation of it into online mode is beautifully constructed. The ranked games online are very well done, though finding a match can be difficult at times. When games ARE found, lag is generally sparse and gameplay runs very smoothly. All in all, FIFA 08 is a good and often very fun game. The improvements work well and the visuals are sharp, even though the game can be difficult and frustrating at times. Expand
  9. MattC.
    Nov 30, 2007
    Terrible player movement and control, slow and cumbersome, it is nothing like real football, the licenses will keep kids happy but its gameplay is supassed by pro evo by a long way. I'm hoping EA can produce a FIFA game that I can play for longer than a month at some point.
  10. DanielF.
    Nov 9, 2007
    I'm giving this game a 5 just because it has all the teams and player names...and thats it. The game is awfull even though EA have made their best version for many years, shame though as the game play really is very bad and the graphics suck too. Igave a low rating for PES 2008 too, but this game is much worse...another rubbish next gen game....When are they going to bring out a I'm giving this game a 5 just because it has all the teams and player names...and thats it. The game is awfull even though EA have made their best version for many years, shame though as the game play really is very bad and the graphics suck too. Igave a low rating for PES 2008 too, but this game is much worse...another rubbish next gen game....When are they going to bring out a decent game for the next gen console? Expand
  11. BenM.
    Dec 26, 2007
    Gameplay is frustrating at first but once the system is learnt, the game is very realistic, although some of the players look exactly the same, and some look as though EA has tried to make them lifelike, only to end up with overkill. Also, some commentator comments can get very, very repetitive.
  12. Timmay
    Jan 16, 2008
    The enduring question for the football gaming fan has always been..."is FIFA any better than PES2008?". While PES08 is clearly underwhelming, the answer to the previous question is still a resounding "NO" having purchased both. In fact, I traded FIFA in after I got both because FIFA was such garbage. CPU players on FIFA couldn't finish if their little electronic lives depended on it. The enduring question for the football gaming fan has always been..."is FIFA any better than PES2008?". While PES08 is clearly underwhelming, the answer to the previous question is still a resounding "NO" having purchased both. In fact, I traded FIFA in after I got both because FIFA was such garbage. CPU players on FIFA couldn't finish if their little electronic lives depended on it. The main challenge for me on FIFA on 'world-class' difficulty was getting the ball off the CPU opponent when my defender was literally glued to the opponent (with me watching bemused as the two players ballroom dance together along the edge of my box from one corner to another - pathetically unrealistic). Also, can EA please let me use the D-pad rather than the joystick? Expand
  13. BrianW.
    Dec 17, 2007
    Well, i did not like this game. Compared to PES 2008 this game is a -1000. I totally wish i could get my money back, but i can't. The graphics are good, but the game is toooo slow and bad. I have never owned a FIFA Soccer game in my life, now i know not to buy anymore.
  14. Jan 6, 2016
    FIFA's debut on the PS3 was somewhat lackluster. After it's fun predecessor, FIFA 08 on the new console was massively hyped. Whilst the graphics had improved, it's gameplay however was a bit of a downgrade.

1. FIFA 08 is the most playable version of the series yet in the next-gen era--including a cool Superstar-like mode--but ghosts of old gameplay still haunt this release. [Oct 2007, p.110]
  2. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    While the on-field action feels sluggish and unresponsive at first, you soon learn to work with the pace of the game and play it like you would the sport, rather than just the videogame. [Nov 2007, p.107]
    FIFA 08 is without a doubt the most realistic FIFA title yet, but only just. There have been a few gameplay refinements and the new modes are decent. It's disappointing Australians will miss out on the 5 vs 5 be a pro online feature as that is one of the drawcards for FIFA 08.