7.7

1. May 8, 2018
    The type of game that is more about the journey than the actual gameplay. Also pretty short but honestly that is for its benefit since it's not particularly engaging gameplay wise.
  2. XV_
    Nov 25, 2018
    More like an 8.5. If not for the clunky controls and sometimes broken mechanics, this game could be more enjoyable, having said that, I can only imagine the emotions I could feel if I played this as a teenager back in 2001. Ico pulls of something truly incredible and beautiful with Yorda (the girl who is with you in your journey), instead of giving her depth with cinematic cutscenes orMore like an 8.5. If not for the clunky controls and sometimes broken mechanics, this game could be more enjoyable, having said that, I can only imagine the emotions I could feel if I played this as a teenager back in 2001. Ico pulls of something truly incredible and beautiful with Yorda (the girl who is with you in your journey), instead of giving her depth with cinematic cutscenes or heavy dialogue, you gain that depth through gameplay, and by the end of your journey you are not playing with an obstacle or a mechanic, you're playing with an actual being, and for me that's how video games should be. The story is so cryptic and powerful that you want to give some thought, also playing this in 2018 it seems to me that this game was a heavy influence or inspiration for Dark Souls, from the cryptic and almost non-cinematic story to some of the stages and environment design. I don't think it aged that well or that this is a masterpiece, but I'm sure that this game has to be played by everyone. Expand
  3. Jul 16, 2013
    While the games 'shortness' may be seen as a potential game ruiner, it really isn't.

The game has some of the most....unique, puzzles you'll ever encounter, and while very frustrating, the game is brilliant.

A Must Play for all gamers who love to challenge themselves,in fact, a must play for all gamers.
  4. Sep 15, 2018
    Clearly highly influential (the Forest Castle in Nier: Automata, for example) and widely regarded as a classic, having come late to it via PS Now, I can't help but feel that Ico hasn't aged well. My main complaint is with the controls, which are manky and janky and as unresponsive to my touch as Melania Trump is to her husband's. Well, ok: seventeen years ago I imagine action animationsClearly highly influential (the Forest Castle in Nier: Automata, for example) and widely regarded as a classic, having come late to it via PS Now, I can't help but feel that Ico hasn't aged well. My main complaint is with the controls, which are manky and janky and as unresponsive to my touch as Melania Trump is to her husband's. Well, ok: seventeen years ago I imagine action animations like slashing, jumping and falling couldn't be interrupted and dodging or simply turning to face an enemy was something that happened to other people but it didn't half make the sporadic action sequences boring. The artistic design is very far from sumptuosity; it's frankly dour and monotonous. I have no idea what Team Ico were attempting to achieve with the camera, which is positioned quite some distance from the main character and hardly ever works well. The story is fairly bland, more of a ramble than a tale, and the music is forgettable.

On the other hand, the shadow monsters were excellently disturbing and gave me a semblance of Bloodbornesque chills. The girl, Yorda, was delightful as a lissome and wayward AI support and the puzzles, for all of the game's brevity, seemed epic and involving. Apart from the (admittedly less important and hardly challenging) combat, the game mechanics were, in most respects, quite lovely.

If I'd played it on the PS2 when it was released, I think my memory of it would be a good one. Sadly, I didn't and it isn't.
  5. Feb 17, 2014
    Often used as an example of video games as art, "ICO" manages to be an emotional and gripping game despite it's use of minimal dialog, music, and other story elements. The scenery here is still beautiful despite the game's age and the puzzles have aged well. It's not a very long game, but with certain perks only being made available on a second playthrough there is enough incentive to playOften used as an example of video games as art, "ICO" manages to be an emotional and gripping game despite it's use of minimal dialog, music, and other story elements. The scenery here is still beautiful despite the game's age and the puzzles have aged well. It's not a very long game, but with certain perks only being made available on a second playthrough there is enough incentive to play through the game at least twice.

While I find "ICO" to be a fantastic experience unlike any other I've played I have to admit the game does have it's issues, most of which are due to age. As with most PS2 games the controls have not aged well which can lead to some frustrating deaths, and the combat is pretty bad. There are also some sections of the game that are just frustrating thanks to how far save points can occasionally be stretched out from one another. These issues are irritating and lead to me rage quitting more than a few times. In the end though the game's flaws did not stop me from being emotionally invested in this game and it's subtle story.

This is an absolutely beautiful game, and not just in terms of scenery. There is something unbelievably touching about it. It effected me in ways that few other games have and that is impressive. If you're like me and missed this game on PS2 then this downloadable PS3 version is an excellent way to experience it thanks to things like trophy support as well as a few other bonuses. "ICO" hasn't aged well in all areas, and it can undeniably anger at times, but this is still a game that I recommend every gamer experience at least once. It shows a different side of gaming, a side that most would choose to ignore. It shows that games aren't just mindless time wasters, but forms of entertainment that make people feel in subtle ways just like any book or movie, and in a lot of ways sometime better than they can. So go ahead and try out "ICO", because it is an experience like few others.
  6. Jun 6, 2017
    A positively archaic experience that has aged poorly. Abhorrent controls, hopeless AI, appalling camera, redundant story, uninspired enemies and graphics so bad they are like a drill bit to the eyeball. Ico is an OLD game from a bygone era when gamers expected a lot less from developers. Unless you have a time machine and can erase all the quality games you've played in the last decadeA positively archaic experience that has aged poorly. Abhorrent controls, hopeless AI, appalling camera, redundant story, uninspired enemies and graphics so bad they are like a drill bit to the eyeball. Ico is an OLD game from a bygone era when gamers expected a lot less from developers. Unless you have a time machine and can erase all the quality games you've played in the last decade and can transport yourself to a time when this garbage was considered "Fresh and "Original" stay well away Expand
  7. Oct 19, 2014
    Una pérdida de tiempo, uno de los juegos mas sobrevalorados de la historia.
    La historia es tan interesante como mirar una piedra, los puzzles son repetitivos, con esos dichosos entes oscuros, los gráficos tienen una calidad muy pobre. Todo en él es aburrido, anima a lanzar el juego por la ventana.
  8. Sep 4, 2019
    A special and often challenging puzzle platformer with a worthwhile ending. - 8.5

There are no critic reviews yet.