6.0

1. Mar 18, 2014
    I feel like all of the new features that make Ground Zeros new and interesting have come at the costs of all the features that make a Metal Gear Solid game feel like a Metal Gear Solid game. Despite all the new freedom of an open world, much of how you interact with the world is gone. There is no longer knocking on surfaces, or an inventory of an sort. Move, shoot, and CQC are your onlyI feel like all of the new features that make Ground Zeros new and interesting have come at the costs of all the features that make a Metal Gear Solid game feel like a Metal Gear Solid game. Despite all the new freedom of an open world, much of how you interact with the world is gone. There is no longer knocking on surfaces, or an inventory of an sort. Move, shoot, and CQC are your only interactions, and they made it far too easy to shoot your way through problems. Snake's health now regenerates on it's own as fast as a Call of Duty game, so there's almost no consequence to getting seen. The open world aspect means there is a lot more to explore now, but without an inventory or anything to find besides new quests, which only serve to burn time. In terms of characters and story the lack of a codec means you only get anything from the people you directly encounter, and having Kaz describe to you what you are seeing through your binoculars. The overall tone of the game is very dark and lacks the suspense, mystery, and sense of humor found in previous games. Overall I am hugely disappointed in this game, but it's not completely broken. Expand
  2. Jun 2, 2014
    FYI, I rented this game for X360. However, it didn't seem like that version was popular, so I'm reviewing the PS3 version. My first glimpse of MGS5 at the Microsoft E3 2013 Conference got me excited. Even my older brother who only plays sports games (and not much either) said it was sick. To hold us off, they decided to release a $30 prologue to the game with a 90 minute story mission andFYI, I rented this game for X360. However, it didn't seem like that version was popular, so I'm reviewing the PS3 version. My first glimpse of MGS5 at the Microsoft E3 2013 Conference got me excited. Even my older brother who only plays sports games (and not much either) said it was sick. To hold us off, they decided to release a $30 prologue to the game with a 90 minute story mission and some additional missions, too. I know what you're thinking. You don't think it sounds worthy. Let's get into it to see if it is. The main eye-opener is the graphics. They definitely don't look quite as good on X360 compared to the others, but they're still damned pretty. They look extremely better during daytime in the game, so don't get thrown-off when you play the one and only story mission. The story for that mission is simple. Go in using stealth and save Chico and Paz. The Side Ops don't have a better story, but they do give you very good reasons to do the mission. How's the gameplay in all these missions? I was never a true fan of MGS in the past, but the gameplay in this one is hands down the best. I love the new slow-motion mechanic. Whenever a guard detects you, you go in a slow-motion/reflex state that lets you tranquilize or kill him before he alerts others. Plus, the game actually tells you how to use the controls this time around and they are great. The shooting mechanics will be familiar to you if you have played third-person shooters. The stealth is so easy to do, but the guards have some keen eyes, so watch out. I will admit though, I didn't enjoy the Side Ops very much. They're pretty generic, and some betray what MGS is. By the way, it really depends on how big of a MGS fan you are if you are planning on buying it. For any gamer, it's worth a 5 to 10 dollar rental. If you are a huge MGS fan, then it's worth full price since overall if you're gonna do everything, it's gonna take you 10 to 15 hours. For me, the only extreme enjoyment came out of the main story mission. I would buy it for $15 (if I didn't rent it before). Expand
  3. Mar 23, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid still reaches into my heart after all those wonderfull titles. beautiful preview to the next title, lore and gameplay. and a real good stealthgame too with a smart AI. great graphics on PS3. Great choice with Kiefer Sutherland! Wonderfull work thx to kojima and his talentet team. Ennio Morricone thank you too. Looking forward with pleasure! Hope phantom pain fulfills myMetal Gear Solid still reaches into my heart after all those wonderfull titles. beautiful preview to the next title, lore and gameplay. and a real good stealthgame too with a smart AI. great graphics on PS3. Great choice with Kiefer Sutherland! Wonderfull work thx to kojima and his talentet team. Ennio Morricone thank you too. Looking forward with pleasure! Hope phantom pain fulfills my expectations and the promises. Expand
  4. Mar 20, 2014
    While a lot of people talk about this games lenght, there are a lot of games out there that do the same: are short, and have moderate prices (Gone Home, for example, a game I can't find what to like). The game is one of the most beautiful and refined Metal Gear Solid, with an amazing gameplay, fluid and modern.
    The side ops are like in Peace Walker, and they are really fun, some can be as
    The side ops are like in Peace Walker, and they are really fun, some can be as extended in lenght as the main mission.
    The story is compelling, the voice acting superb, and the easter eggs awesome.
    Before critizing the game for his price and lenght, play it and enjoy it to the full, because at the end you will see where your money went.
    I can assure you, it is worth it.
    For its price, I couldnt find ONE weakness in this game. Maybe something related to the story, but not something that would ruin the tense and thrilling experience the game offered me.
    It is your choice, wether to trust in biased reviews, with the only argument being the fact that the game is """""short""""", or to trust in your own experience and impressions, when you play it.
    As once Naomi (MGS1) said: "Like beauty, truth is in the eye of the beholder"
  5. Mar 21, 2014
    past few weeks, I spent hours to complete whole metal gear series (except portable ops, which is dreadful) so I would be ready for the next installment. GZ arrived and I was aware about the length of the main mission.
    Game itself is amazing with all the new things you can do during the mission. I would recommend it if it wasn't for its biggest flaw..
    Overall whole game took around 5
    Overall whole game took around 5 hours with all the missions done, and that's while being super careful not to screw up. Replay value is basically non-existent unless you really like grinding. There's some unlockable stuff, but nothing that is going to make a difference.
    No matter the price (which seems to be the issue for most) it's just disappointing to end the game just when it seems to get started.
    I can only hope that the DLC code tickets in the game case are going to be worth of something, but so far it only proves that there's going to be day one DLC for phantom pain which is just wrong..
  6. Mar 18, 2014
    First the good, the gameplay is really fun and has a lot of variety within the same missions. There are a total of 6 missions and all of them are varied enough to keep your interest. The AI in the game is vastly improved and actually acts like normal humans instead of paranoid brain damaged robots. This game is also the most graphically pleasing game on last gen consoles with a steady 30First the good, the gameplay is really fun and has a lot of variety within the same missions. There are a total of 6 missions and all of them are varied enough to keep your interest. The AI in the game is vastly improved and actually acts like normal humans instead of paranoid brain damaged robots. This game is also the most graphically pleasing game on last gen consoles with a steady 30 fps as you would expect. Now for the bad, and it gets pretty bad.
    Kojima is infamous for not being a very good writer but can pull his own in the story telling department. This is the worst of both worlds. The most ham-handed ending I've ever seen coupled with that fact that there seems to only be less than 50 lines of dialogue in all of the cut-scenes put together which there are only 3 of makes the story borderline embarrassing. Kojima said he wanted to push the boundaries of story telling which I respect, but you have to pace it properly. Throwing a number of plot twists in the same helicopter ride kind of spoils the experience. As for acting it's just below what people would call decent. My major gripes are with the story because that's where Ground Zeroes flops on it's belly.

All-in-all, it's fun for a dozen hours or so, but if you really need that $20-$30 I would just watch the trailers. Those have much more emotion and are longer than the exposition presented in this game.
    Let's hope Kojima and his team can make The Phantom Pain the perfect pallet cleanse we need after playing this game.
  7. Mar 19, 2014
    All comments of how good this game plays and how the game feels is instantly negated by the full price sticker of 30 versus the short game play of 45mins-1hr.

Who thought spending years on game only to release a game that only goes maybe a hour is a good idea. Don't buy it new its not worth the cost and wait for it to be used price. Like I said game play is very fun and enjoyable but why this game couldn't be expanded further for its price questions gouging from the customer.

On gameplay is 9 but cost versus game play its easily a 3...Metal Gear V Phantom pain has a lot of expanding to do on this...
  8. Apr 14, 2014
    lets get this straight, its not a game. its a demo to you familiar to the mechanics of the metal gear game thats coming out later. whats there is good but it just let me and others wanting more. the gameplay and graphics are awesome but the story is barely existante. there's a small cut scene at the beginning and end, and little cassettes that are way too hard to find actually know whatslets get this straight, its not a game. its a demo to you familiar to the mechanics of the metal gear game thats coming out later. whats there is good but it just let me and others wanting more. the gameplay and graphics are awesome but the story is barely existante. there's a small cut scene at the beginning and end, and little cassettes that are way too hard to find actually know whats going on. in the end i'm very disappointed in this 30$ demo and i was expecting a lot more from kojima-san. Expand
  9. Mar 19, 2014
    GZ is a like PW on steroids. Instead of one long game, GZ is broken up into small missions with various completion times (like PW). My first run through the story mission took me 80mins and each side-op between 30-60mins. Each mission begs for replay though to earn S-rank, prisoners to rescue, trophies, and complete "Trails" or challenges (like fastest time to mark all enemies). WithGZ is a like PW on steroids. Instead of one long game, GZ is broken up into small missions with various completion times (like PW). My first run through the story mission took me 80mins and each side-op between 30-60mins. Each mission begs for replay though to earn S-rank, prisoners to rescue, trophies, and complete "Trails" or challenges (like fastest time to mark all enemies). With practice, you can complete each mission in 10mins.

GZ is a tough MGS game because enemies see farther and stick together. Guards will have no problem spotting you in daylight from 100 meters away. Bullet drop and limited ammo also makes things more difficult. No more easy PW headshots. No camo index, but shadows are your friend concealing Snake like the tall grass from MGS3. The biggest improvement is Snake's fluid movement. Compared to Old Snake you will practically glide across the map. The biggest disappointment was PS3 graphics. Texture pop in was common and 30fps is noticeable choppy during cutscenes.

All and all this game is worth the $20 I paid and got me pumped for Phantom Pain next year (or 2). The series is taking a bold new direction like it has with all its entries and I'm loving it. Any MGS or stealth fan will love GZ.
  10. Mar 19, 2014
    A very good game, and worth the $30 if you are a fan of the Metal Gear Solid series (especially Snake Eater and Peace Walker) and care about the story and characters involved therein. This is a game for such people to get a taste of what is to come in The Phantom Pain and to bridge the gap between it and Peace Walker. People who are not fans of the series or the titles in it featuringA very good game, and worth the $30 if you are a fan of the Metal Gear Solid series (especially Snake Eater and Peace Walker) and care about the story and characters involved therein. This is a game for such people to get a taste of what is to come in The Phantom Pain and to bridge the gap between it and Peace Walker. People who are not fans of the series or the titles in it featuring Naked Snake may want to wait until this game is cheaper to give it a shot, or avoid it altogether. Also, cries of "it is too short" or "there is not enough content" are unfounded. I played the game about 12 hours when I first got it and it said I had only 20% completion. Granted, there is only the one map, but it feels very different during different times of day and different weather conditions which the side missions allow one to experience. There is plenty of content for the price, whether one wants to experience all the content depends on their willingness to actually play it.

That out of the way, what does the game have going for it? The animation quality is much improved over any other game in the series as is the graphical quality overall. However, on a PS3 the graphics will not be as good as PS4 or in trailers as a PS3 is simply not powerful enough. The game runs at 720P (1080i) and the FPS struggles to stay at 30 with frequent drops.

The story is focused on Paz and the story is told primarily through cassette tapes that the player can choose to listen to either in the main menu or in game on the i-Droid device which is accessed by pressing the start button. There are very few cutscenes in the game, and instead the meat of the story is told through these tapes.

If you do not like the reflex (slow motion upon getting sighted) mode that was added in this game, it can easily be disabled in the options. The game's greatest strength is the increased freedom of movement over previous entries in the series. Want to get a better view of an area? Climb up on top of something. Want to get around a fence quickly? Climb, or jump over it. This, coupled with the openness of the areas allows many ways to reach objectives and explore the environment. The guns seem to work just as well as in MGS4 if not better. The main problem with the controls is context sensitivity on several buttons, a fairly common problem for console games. Also annoying are the hold to aim binoculars bound to R2, which I found myself frequently deselecting on accident while I was trying to mark targets, since this is something one needs to do almost constantly it is more annoying than it would be otherwise.
  11. Apr 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the most worst game I've ever played.Buying MGS 5 ground zeroes is equal to throwing your Rs 2000 in **** this game.I never expected such a game from Konami. Instead of buying this sucking game,I would've bought Rayman.I finished this game in just 2 hrs.I recommend each person who is reading this comment,don't buy this game.There are very good games coming this year like dying light,shadow of mordor,Tom Clancy's The Division etc. Expand
  12. Mar 18, 2014
    This is not a game. It is a $30 demo. And the flaws don't stop there. The graphics are nowhere near what the trailers promised, enemy AI doesn't respond to your helicopter, the game plays out like Michael Bay movie, side missions are 5 minutes long. One of them is a forced on-rails sequence.
  13. Mar 20, 2014
    I made this account solely for the purpose of expressing my disappointment towards Kojima/KONAMI's attempted rip-off and franchise milking.
    I've been a MGS fan since MGS on the PS1 and back in the day MGS demos (or prequels if you prefer) were free and came along other KONAMI games, they didn't have a 30$ price tag in it! It's really a shame that such a credible developer/publisher tried to take advantage of the game's hype and fanbase (which gets smaller by the day) to make an easy cash-in...
    And for those of you that are saying: "Blah blah blah, they warned people that the main mission was only about 2 hours long so if you don't like it don't buy it" , let me tell you something, have you heard of a game called "Dead Rising 2: Case Zero"? It was a prequel to Dead Rising 2, just like Ground Zeroes. The only differences were the price (it cost 5$ instead of 30$), the content (it was longer and less buggy) and the people behind it; I mean, you could maybe expect a rip-off from the Dead Rising franchise but from the Metal Gear franchise? No way, that was too ridiculously greedy.
    SHAME ON YOU KONAMI... I just hope this doesn't sell well and other publishers start doing it, although for 30$ they don't need to sell that much to have a good profit.
    First it was Rockstar's constant attempts at milking more money out of what already is the best selling franchise ever, and now this? What was a respectful and trusted company is now turning into EA.
    They can pull off these "scams" and keep getting good revenues, but it's companies like Valve that don't need to worry about cashing-in easily and still have some of the best-selling franchises ever, due to the simple fact that they care about their consumers.
  14. Mar 25, 2014
    'Demo' has no qualification for 'Critic Score'.

I'll just wait for 'full retail game'.
    and then, write review that 'full retail game' for critic score.
    So I have no criticism for 'this demo'.
  15. Mar 18, 2014
    One of the best games to come out in recent memory. All the negative reviews are a bunch of idiots that don't even own the game. I beat the game once on normal and I have only completed 10% of the game. Yet there are people on here that say the game is only 90 minutes? LOL
    There is one main chapter and 5 side ops, also there are collectible and lots of things to do in the base on the main mission. The story takes place right after Peace Walker and really leaves you scratching your head and wanting more at the end. If you are a MGS fan THIS game is for you! $20 is a steal for all the content. It is just like peace walker in the sense that you can play tons of extras from the main menu. There are diary entries from Paz, and several other cassettes from Kaz and Huey.
    The only real complaint I see with this game is the length to price ratio, the gameplay is solid and the graphics are amazing considering its on 7 year old hardware. Completely blows any title from last year out of the water even though the main mission is quite short. But with the extra ops, all the collectibles, reputability and extras, this is easily worth the $20 price tag.
  16. Mar 18, 2014
    The gameplay is good as you would expected from a metal gear. but asking for $30,00 to a demo is a shame to konami who just want to cash in with their loyal fanbase, i advise to stay out of this game, it should be free, this is damaging the gaming industry, gamers do not buy this game.
  17. Apr 24, 2014
    The good reviews on here are blowing my mind. Yes the game is decent but I can honestly remember getting just as much play time out of demos in the past. Even with multiple play throughs, it reminds me of the Saints Row demo or even the 15 minute "skate." demo. This would be great if it WERE a demo, but for $30 it really is ridiculously short on content. Those who care about the storyThe good reviews on here are blowing my mind. Yes the game is decent but I can honestly remember getting just as much play time out of demos in the past. Even with multiple play throughs, it reminds me of the Saints Row demo or even the 15 minute "skate." demo. This would be great if it WERE a demo, but for $30 it really is ridiculously short on content. Those who care about the story should just watch the cutscenes on youtube. Honestly though, it just doesn't even feel like Metal Gear when Snake sounds exactly like Jack Bauer. Expand
  18. Mar 18, 2014
    Konami really needs to thread lightly when altering a 25 year old tried and tested formula...i mean..why fix what is'nt broken? Metal gear has for over 25 years accumulated a dedicated following of fans who love the series for a reason Konami now wants to change....well they should know that if the old fans dont like their "new" direction, no one else will buy into it. While some of theKonami really needs to thread lightly when altering a 25 year old tried and tested formula...i mean..why fix what is'nt broken? Metal gear has for over 25 years accumulated a dedicated following of fans who love the series for a reason Konami now wants to change....well they should know that if the old fans dont like their "new" direction, no one else will buy into it. While some of the improvements are welcome, like the improved graphics, and increased mobility; the rest of the additions or subtractions only serve to strip the game of its identity....This is a Metal Gear game in name only and not substance....i hope this is not representative of the final product...7/10 is all this....this...."thing" truly deserves. Expand
  19. Mar 21, 2014
    DO NOT BUY THIS AT LAUNCH PRICE. The pieces are good. The graphics amazing. But the content, length and size do not even begin to make for a full game! When I was a kid, we called these "Demos", or even "Shareware". But at this price, even WITH Peace Walker HD (which is... eh), all I feel is ripped off, defiled and somewhat angry.

Can't wait for Phantom Pain, though.
  20. Jul 28, 2014
    Possibly the cheekiest money grabbing ploy in the history of gaming, or in entertainment as I come to think of it. It's still classic MGS but it's simply not worth the money. It looks amazing, sounds amazing, has an awesome narrative, I mean what's there is simply perfect, it's just ridiculously short. I knew what I was getting into before I bought it, I knew it was a 2 hour campaign,Possibly the cheekiest money grabbing ploy in the history of gaming, or in entertainment as I come to think of it. It's still classic MGS but it's simply not worth the money. It looks amazing, sounds amazing, has an awesome narrative, I mean what's there is simply perfect, it's just ridiculously short. I knew what I was getting into before I bought it, I knew it was a 2 hour campaign, but when it ended my jaw was agape and I honestly said out loud 'Is that it?'. I'm aware there are extra missions now that the game is finished but finding the time to get back to them is pretty hard. Still it is classic Metal Gear but it should've been $10 DLC or free with a pre-order, or free with people who have saves of MGS4. 8/10 down from a 10 due to price and length Expand
  21. Mar 18, 2014
    The gameplay is a mix of fluent mechanics mixed with gorgeous graphics. The lack of cinematics adds to the whole experience and what is produced is a worthy predecessor to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. My only criticism, and I know it won't be like this for MSG5, is that it was way to short. I think I got through it in about 2-3 hours. But I guess the fact I wanted to play it forThe gameplay is a mix of fluent mechanics mixed with gorgeous graphics. The lack of cinematics adds to the whole experience and what is produced is a worthy predecessor to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. My only criticism, and I know it won't be like this for MSG5, is that it was way to short. I think I got through it in about 2-3 hours. But I guess the fact I wanted to play it for longer is a good sign right? There's nothing worse than a terrible game that drags on for days and days that after you wouldn't touch with a 60ft pole (see my review on Rambo: The video game for more on that). Expand
  22. Mar 18, 2014
    Los que ponen negativo no critican el juego en si, critican el precio son unos payasos! Abran un foro que se llame lo indignados por el precio de Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeroes! Tiene terrible potencia el juego en movimiento!
  23. Dec 27, 2015
    Gameplay: 1 (Unplayable)
    Fun: 1 (You can't Have Fun)
    Story: 5 (Story is After World War 2)
    Cast: 7 (Great)
    Score: 0/10 (Due to no Easy Mode for me Only Hard Mode Unlocked from Start)

Overrated By All should got less then 7.8s
  24. Mar 21, 2014
    The main game is 60-90 minutes long. The story is convoluted and makes little sense unless you have played Peace Walker. Story context is given in the form of loading screen text. There *are* side-missions, but they all take place on the SAME MAP as the main story, and have no meaningful story.

David Hayter no longer voices Snake, a role which he was proud of. Kiefer does a poor job of voicing Snake, a role which he never mentions outside of the studio. No rations. No cardboard box. No camo. No Codec. This is an incomplete game.
  25. Mar 23, 2014
    Like Keyshen said, ignore the reviews saying it's a 2 hour game. You beat it in 2 hours and you get 9 or 10% complete on the main screen, and a bunch of new side ops and challenges open up. There are things to collect, timers to beat, and nearly unlimited objectives. On top of this, there is a global scoreboard for many statistics, adding an additional layer of challenge. How long can youLike Keyshen said, ignore the reviews saying it's a 2 hour game. You beat it in 2 hours and you get 9 or 10% complete on the main screen, and a bunch of new side ops and challenges open up. There are things to collect, timers to beat, and nearly unlimited objectives. On top of this, there is a global scoreboard for many statistics, adding an additional layer of challenge. How long can you drive a vehicle on 2 wheels? How far away can you tranquilize enemies? How far can you launch an enemy with an explosion? These statistics and more are submitted and compared online globally. You won't believe how fast someone completed a mission, or how far they have driven on two wheels. These are the finer points of the game that give it legs since there is no multiplayer.

Is this a full-on Metal Gear title? Nope. It's a prelude to Phantom Pain and it takes place directly after the events in Peace Walker. Peace Walker is heavily referenced from the beginning so I highly recommend you play Peace Walker HD to get caught up (and to see where a lot of the "new" gameplay elements came from). Kojima was already adjusting Metal Gear to play like this with Peace Walker, but nobody considered it a full blown entry in the series because it was PSP-only for a while.

At any rate, if you're a fan of the series, this is a cheap entry fee to experience the new Fox engine and the improved controls for yourself. Once you have beaten this 100%, you should be ready to take on Phantom Pain.
  26. Mar 24, 2014
    ok lets get this out of the way, YES THE MAIN MISSION IS 1 HOUR LONG,
    But both you and I knew this before you bought it.
    I bought this off the PSN for $20 (Digital Download) - And I feel I got my moneys worth Yes it was 1 hour but it was one of the best hours I have spent playing a game in a LONG time! Not to mention all the side-opp missions (some of witch are hard as hell, so you
    ok lets get this out of the way, YES THE MAIN MISSION IS 1 HOUR LONG,
    But both you and I knew this before you bought it.

Not to mention all the side-opp missions (some of witch are hard as hell, so you wont be running through them)

For $20 its worth the investment especially if your a Metal gear fan - As for the disk ver. I feel thats a rip off

27. May 21, 2014
    The gameplay is succulent, and the new graphics engine combined with revamped controls make it almost photorealistic. The story is nonexistent, and the cut-scenes feel like they were ripped out of call of duty modern warfare in terms of camera angles and writing....a huge departure from the MGS style of in-game movie, definitely for the worse. While the gameplay is awesome, there justThe gameplay is succulent, and the new graphics engine combined with revamped controls make it almost photorealistic. The story is nonexistent, and the cut-scenes feel like they were ripped out of call of duty modern warfare in terms of camera angles and writing....a huge departure from the MGS style of in-game movie, definitely for the worse. While the gameplay is awesome, there just isn't enough to do. Awesome for a $2 rental, but horrible for a $30 game. Expand
  28. Jun 19, 2014
    I am a Metal Gear Solid fanboy. I have games, figures, comics, and other silly things. I try, when possible, to get all the specially boxed versions of Metal Gear games. Ground Zeroes presents a lot of great things on the PS3; Its absolutely gorgeous, handles ridiculously well, we weather effects are really quite stunning, and over all delivers a nice peak at MGS5. Now, that said, youI am a Metal Gear Solid fanboy. I have games, figures, comics, and other silly things. I try, when possible, to get all the specially boxed versions of Metal Gear games. Ground Zeroes presents a lot of great things on the PS3; Its absolutely gorgeous, handles ridiculously well, we weather effects are really quite stunning, and over all delivers a nice peak at MGS5. Now, that said, you should not buy this game; At least not for the price they are asking. If the hard copy had been $15 and the Download copy had been around $10, then I would tell you to buy it immediately. The current state of the game after patching includes more missions even! I think that puts us at a total of 7 missions. Now, speed runs aside, I think you can get a very honest 5 to 10 hours of gameplay out of this without it feeling too redundant.

My math has been, and always will be, a games cost should justify the exact number of hours to the number of dollards spent. Thus a $30 hard copy giving me about 10 hours of fun, that's $3 an hour. So overall this is a great game, its really pretty, and it shows a genuine evolution in terms of control for the series. However the price is not justified unless you're a super massive fanboy like myself who had to have the special hard copy on your shelf.
  29. Oct 19, 2014
    He gastado 20 euros y para nada me siento estafado. Habré jugado mas de diez horas y estoy muy satisfecho con MGSV, espero que TPP mantenga la calidad visual (se ve impresionante en PS3) y la misma jugabilidad, mucho mas dinámica y ágil que en los anteriores MGS.
    La gente que pone negativos, que queréis que os diga,...
    El juego, llamadlo demo o lo que queráis pero es bueno y apunta
    La gente que pone negativos, que queréis que os diga,...
    El juego, llamadlo demo o lo que queráis pero es bueno y apunta maneras para la entrega completa, la cual si se mantiene así no me perderé para nada.
    Ground Zeroes me ha dejado mas satisfecho que MGS4, así de claro.
  30. Jul 25, 2014
    I enjoyed my first couple of playthroughs on the multiple missions in the same area but even as a self acclaimed die hard Metal Gear fan it was disapointing in many ways. The slapstick is gone. The humor that displaces all the serious tones, that lighten the mood, are replaced with attempts at tackling (and missing) controversial issues i.e. sexual violence. Ground Zeroes(GZ) is anI enjoyed my first couple of playthroughs on the multiple missions in the same area but even as a self acclaimed die hard Metal Gear fan it was disapointing in many ways. The slapstick is gone. The humor that displaces all the serious tones, that lighten the mood, are replaced with attempts at tackling (and missing) controversial issues i.e. sexual violence. Ground Zeroes(GZ) is an introduction and although people were going crazy for anything to do with The Phantom Pain(TPP), Konami should have kept it in their pants so to say. The story that is there for continuity issues only has 5 minutes of information that you can review on Wikipedia if you want to skip this entry. While I would've liked to critique him, Keifer Sutherland utters maybe 30+ words (8 of them sounding like they were recorded in a trash can) through the entirety of game play and I hope that this is not foreboding shadow of what is to come while Kaz yells in your ear the entire mission. I like my Snake more rhetorical. We will most likely see GZ attached to TPP whenever it is released and maybe we will see the true potential then. For now try Red Box or catch a digital sale. It's worth purchasing for 10-15$ if your a fan. Expand
  31. Oct 2, 2014
    First, I'd like to say that the way this game is marketed is setting a very concerning trend. As you may already know, the main storyline (which is a prologue to The Phantom Pain) takes about 2 hours, and all side missions in total takes about roughly the same, so that like 4 hours in total. And it's currently being sold for $30 (digital version is $20). This is clearly a poor value. AndFirst, I'd like to say that the way this game is marketed is setting a very concerning trend. As you may already know, the main storyline (which is a prologue to The Phantom Pain) takes about 2 hours, and all side missions in total takes about roughly the same, so that like 4 hours in total. And it's currently being sold for $30 (digital version is $20). This is clearly a poor value. And this is done by the great Hideo Kojima, of all people. Seriously? This is concerning because will this be a current trend in the future? Splitting up games in pieces sold separately and overcharging them? Who's to say that other companies won't do the same, and maybe even worse? (I'm looking at you EA). Thankfully, I got this for $10 and that should have been the initial price.

Now onto the game itself. What I stated above is really the only bad thing about the game. Everything else about the game is exceptional. It's Metal Gear after all! Wow. I found the missions to be highly replayable. (yes, it's replayable, but that doesn't justify the little content). Just about everything is amazing. You can complete your objectives in anyway you want. If this is what is coming in The Phantom Pain, than this is definitely a Day-1 purchase for me. My only gripe is that the weapons and military equipment are fictional. MGS games in the past have used real-world weapons, so why now use fictional ones, especially that the game is set in the 1970s? Oh, enemy soldiers are a lot smarter, too.

Now onto the story. Only MGS fans will properly enjoy it. Story-wise, it's not so much a prologue to the TPP as it is a epilogue to MGS: Peace Walker. Paz and Chico have been captured and it's up to Big Boss to save them. What I didn't like is Big Boss's new voice actor, Kiefer Sutherland. He's not bad, but I really miss David Hayter. The Japanese voice actor is the same as previous games, so why couldn't it be the same for the English versions?

In conclusion, Ground Zeroes is an exceptional game with poor value. As a game, it gets a 9.5. For value, it gets a 5. So I averaged the score for it to be a 7. As stated already, I got it for $10, so you should do the same. But don't forget that I'm surprised at how this game was marketed. You're better than that, Kojima.
  32. Apr 27, 2014
    First of all, thank you to everyone who warned me this was a demo! I would have been pissed if I had paid more than the rental fee. I've beaten all the MGS games except PW, and what keeps me coming back is the epic boss encounters and the unparalleled story lines. This game has neither. Shame on you Konami for charging $30 for a demo and not even having a boss battle!

I found myself

I found myself bored after about 30 minutes. Somehow this entry seems less enjoyable to me than all previous entries. The gunplay is better and I love the slowdown thing that happens when you're spotted, but I don't think the open world thing works so well for this game. I want to stay in the action, not have to spend 3/4 of my time scanning for enemies and waiting for the greatly extended cooldown time after someone spots me. It seems to me they've maximized what I consider the boring aspects of the game and minimized what I do like. It seems they are focused 100% now on situation awareness and stealth, and the great story and strategic boss encounters are taking a back seat.

All in all, I'm much less excited about The Phantom Pain now than I was before I played this. I'll still buy it, but I'll wait for it to hit the $20 rack if it's going to be like this game. I don't like the new direction from what I've seen so far, but the real game may be completely different so it's not fair to assume. In any case, charging more than $10 for this demo is a joke. I'm very disappointed.
  33. Mar 27, 2014
    It's sure is a nice demo, though, a bit overpriced. You've got to consider that it's kind of epic, lengthy (for a demo) and has lots of bonus content. Sets the mood for The Phantom Pain.
  34. Mar 27, 2014
    Short and sweet, that's what this game is. It's all about the freedom of traverse and the freedom of completing the tasks in your own way, which is every stealth player's paradise. Unfortunately, it only lasts for a couple of hours, including all the side missions.But there's a lot packed into those couple of hours, and if you'll search for all the additional content, you'll definitelyShort and sweet, that's what this game is. It's all about the freedom of traverse and the freedom of completing the tasks in your own way, which is every stealth player's paradise. Unfortunately, it only lasts for a couple of hours, including all the side missions.But there's a lot packed into those couple of hours, and if you'll search for all the additional content, you'll definitely find some in this game. All in all, it's the best stealth experience you'll get in a long while, but it's not for everyone. Expand
  35. gg2
    Feb 2, 2016
    DEMO!!!!!! I waste my money. The graphic is good but i finish the game in half an hour. Don't buy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  36. Mar 18, 2014
    If i go to the movies, i don't complain that i paid the same price for a 90 minute masterpiece than a 2 and a half hour borefest.

That's the case with Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. Yes, the main mission (NOT the whole game) is very short. Also, the ending is disappointing and unfulfilling. However, those are the only two flaws in a game that has some of the best stealth mechanics

However, those are the only two flaws in a game that has some of the best stealth mechanics in recent memory. It's fun, challenging and engaging. Also, contrary to what people say, if you are one of those people that likes to get 100% in games, then you get a bang for your buck here. The missions are varied and getting the best rating demands a lot of replays.

So yeah, i liked this game. I can assure you, if this was a $15 downloadable game, everyone would be giving it 10's.
  37. Mar 29, 2014
    Is the game more short ever seen , but the most game with more care than other AAA. Without forgotten than the others mission do it a game more extensive.
  38. Apr 6, 2014
    When it comes to this game I knew what I was paying. I knew it was going to be a short game, but in gameplay was not disappointed one bit. For people who have not played a Metal Gear Solid game it is recommended to not get this game but instead get something like Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection for your money's worth. But for Metal Gear Solid fans (like me) there is a deeper experienceWhen it comes to this game I knew what I was paying. I knew it was going to be a short game, but in gameplay was not disappointed one bit. For people who have not played a Metal Gear Solid game it is recommended to not get this game but instead get something like Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection for your money's worth. But for Metal Gear Solid fans (like me) there is a deeper experience that we participate in. I would be more worried about Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain. Which Kojima says that he is worried that people will not be able to finish it. If you want a quick background for the game's story, watch it online. But if you want to try the next installment in the series ahead of time, and try out its new gaming mechanics then at least rent it from a Redbox or local store. Overall I still find much enjoyment in this "prologue" and am looking forward to Kojima's next game. Expand
  39. Apr 12, 2014
    Alright I've been a fan of the MG series for 25 years now, and I have to say this has been the biggest disappointment I've ever had out of the series (yes even bigger than Raiden if you can beileve it). No, it's not the length of the game that disappointed me like most. It was the gameplay. There is a fantastic article on The Snake Soup that goes to painstaking detail as to all the reasonsAlright I've been a fan of the MG series for 25 years now, and I have to say this has been the biggest disappointment I've ever had out of the series (yes even bigger than Raiden if you can beileve it). No, it's not the length of the game that disappointed me like most. It was the gameplay. There is a fantastic article on The Snake Soup that goes to painstaking detail as to all the reasons MGSV's gameplay is worse than MGS4. I highly encourage everyone to check it out before they make their decision to spend the money on this game.

There is so much good information in that article but there are a few aspects they didn't cover. The frustratingly stupid guards, health regen, op vehicles, and....no....BOX! You heard me right, no box!

Even if you play the game without auto aim and reflex mode off, stealth is still completely optional because health regen is so ridiculously good and the vehicles are so op you can just go in all guns blazing with 0 punishment for not playing stealthily. This may be the last MG game I ever play.
  40. Apr 12, 2014
    I freakin love this game. I have put 30+ hours into this and I am still entertained by this amazing product. I know, I know, this game can be beaten in less than 10 minutes, but that's part of the fun. Speed running has always been thrilling, and to this day I don't think any stealth game has been so...so...AMAZING!!!!!!!!! The controls are pitch-perfect and the graphics are still goodI freakin love this game. I have put 30+ hours into this and I am still entertained by this amazing product. I know, I know, this game can be beaten in less than 10 minutes, but that's part of the fun. Speed running has always been thrilling, and to this day I don't think any stealth game has been so...so...AMAZING!!!!!!!!! The controls are pitch-perfect and the graphics are still good even though it's on PS3 and not PS4. The world is not one of those games where they claim it's open when it's not, no, this is a truly open world, filled with side missions and thrilling stealth gameplay. And the story is not weak at all, it's one of the strongest in any MGS game. Anyone who thinks it's lacking hasn't listened to any of the cassette tapes in the game. The side missions are also amazing, and a lot more challenging than the main mission, especially on Hard, where it's some of the most challenging and rewarding experiences I have ever played in my life. Every time I play any of the missions I have to have a new approach to it, which is great because if they were all the same then this would suck. Overall, I think this game is one of the best games I have ever played in the last 2 years, and I would totally pay 60 bucks for this. Sure, it's only meant for the hardcore MGS fans, but for the hardcore MGS fans its way more than we expected. If I wasn't a fan, yes, I would hate on this game for it's supposed "lack of content", but then I would be like being a blind man without even knowing it. This is by far a 10 out of 10. Heck, I would give it a 600 out of 10 if I could. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE PHANTOM PAIN!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  41. Apr 24, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is a sandbox that paves the way for bringing the Metal Gear franchise to the next generation. People expecting a plot heavy instalment as seen in previous Metal Gear chapters will be disappointed, but Ground Zeroes is a title that stands on its own merits, despite having the weight of previous titles and the expectation of the next chapter, The PhantomMetal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is a sandbox that paves the way for bringing the Metal Gear franchise to the next generation. People expecting a plot heavy instalment as seen in previous Metal Gear chapters will be disappointed, but Ground Zeroes is a title that stands on its own merits, despite having the weight of previous titles and the expectation of the next chapter, The Phantom Pain, on its shoulders.

Although missing some familiar mechanics such as knocking to distract guards, camo and the cardboard box, Ground Zeroes introduces so many small mechanics that you will still be discovering new tricks should you decide to experiment in the game's limited number of scenarios. For example, throwing an empty magazine at a camera that has spotted you in order to break it is an example of a useful mechanic that will be sure to come in useful in the series' next instalment. The games' open, albeit small map gives value to these small gameplay features that would otherwise bloat an older, more linear Metal Gear title (ie, the Mk II from MGS4, porn magazines, etc).

Ground Zeroes is not without its problems, at least on the current generation consoles. Upon close inspection, players may notice assets popping into view, disappearing guards, and bugged AI behaviour. Guards on the other side of the map are often not simulated correctly, especially when coming into contact with evidence of the players' presence, such as your helicopter and demolished structures. Lack of voice acting for interrogated guards, and poor reaction to being shot at a range of over 300 metres are disappointing to see in an otherwise very high quality game.

Ground Zeroes is ideal for people who wish to experiment in a stealth simulator, though unfortunately, as mentioned, sometimes the AI doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The AI interactions are crafted very well, even if it struggles when taken beyond its limits. Beyond the AI, Ground Zeroes features a fresh, minimalist HUD, replacing the traditional health bar for a regeneration system, and the inventory system for a streamlined alternative. Movement is crisp and responsive with the addition more jumps, rolls and CQC moves, though dealing with the camera while peaking around corners can sometimes be clunky.

Having achieved a 100% completion rating in around 30 hours, I'd say that this title is well worth the $20 digital or $30 physical price tag if you're happy experimenting with this stealth sandbox. If you're just interested in beating the story to see the conclusion of Big Boss's story, I would suggest waiting for the Phantom Pain.
  42. May 5, 2014
    A fantastic prologue to the upcoming Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain. The game is fantastic, and if you have played it, well, theres no much to say about it. If you haven't, them keep talking about the runtime... You are losing a great experience as a gamer
  43. Sep 29, 2014
    If like me you are a big Metal Gear fan you will know this is just a prologue for the Phantom Pain, being released next year. The game revolves around a military base and includes a good length main mission (ground zeroes) and 5 Side ops. Graphics are incredible and feel next gen even when playing on a PS3 or XBOX360. Gameplay has surpassed any other stealth game as you really need toIf like me you are a big Metal Gear fan you will know this is just a prologue for the Phantom Pain, being released next year. The game revolves around a military base and includes a good length main mission (ground zeroes) and 5 Side ops. Graphics are incredible and feel next gen even when playing on a PS3 or XBOX360. Gameplay has surpassed any other stealth game as you really need to think about what your doing if you don't want to be caught. For example, find a vantage point, scope the base with your binoculars, mark enemies, and find a suitable approach. Movement feels very smooth and realistic. There are endless routes to and from your objectives that you can take, and enemy patrols feel the most life-like I have seen. For £20 I was left wondering if this game was worth the price. It most certainly was, I have put several hours in, doing normal and hard difficulties and trying to unlock the secret playable characters.
    Although mechanics have changed to make engagements more enjoyable (I am always tempted to spray down a patrol walking towards my cover) IT IS A STEALTH GAME. You can finish the main mission in half hour this way but if you take the stealth approach, you will spend more time enjoying your playthrough. on top of the sides missions I have played for about 4 hours so far and only just touched the 40% completion mark. DONT LISTEN TO NEGATIVE REVIEWS. These people either don't know what they are playing, or have received an MGS disk in their FIFA15 case. I didn't have high hopes for this considering its price tag but I was left more than satisfied. In fact I was almost sexually satisfied after just the main mission. MGS is only getting better.
  44. Nov 27, 2014
    When I paid $30 for this game I knew exactly what I was getting into. I knew the main mission would only be 2 hours long at best. A lot of people love to jump on the bandwagon and start hating on this game for that, but I think Ground Zeroes was an excellent game despite its length. The frame-rate sometimes drops to 25 fps on Ps3, but I don't mind. The amount of graphical detail they wereWhen I paid $30 for this game I knew exactly what I was getting into. I knew the main mission would only be 2 hours long at best. A lot of people love to jump on the bandwagon and start hating on this game for that, but I think Ground Zeroes was an excellent game despite its length. The frame-rate sometimes drops to 25 fps on Ps3, but I don't mind. The amount of graphical detail they were able to squeeze out of this console's old hardware is astonishing. The gameplay is a lot more sleek, and feels great whether you decide to be stealthy or go out guns blazing.
    Instead of having us sit through painfully long cut scenes, a lot of the details explaining the events leading to Ground Zeroes are introduced in the form of cassette tapes which you can listen to if you please.
    And the side-missions aren't half bad, I found myself enjoying each and every one of them ( I liked that Kojima cameo in the rescue side-mission).
    This was a great game and an incredible introduction to the fall of Big Boss.
    Now to wait desperately for The Phantom Pain.
  45. Jan 7, 2017
    People have been rating GZ based on its price, which is absurd. Moreover they're misinformed about its amount of content.

Beating the main mission unlocks four side missions; collecting nine XOF patches unlocks two more. There's only one map, but the missions invite replays due to the non-linear level design, and there being unlockable content. I've ended up playing this game for a

I've ended up playing this game for a total of fifteen hours; it's the most fun I've had playing an MGS game since the first Playstation installment.
  46. Jun 26, 2016
    Haters dont know metal gear series.
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is The best game of the series, maybe one of the best games of the world. Tactical at the best, one of the best tactical games. Worth the order, buy this game. Metal Gear is one of the best series in game history

1. Apr 15, 2014
    Ground Zeroes is a tough recommendation. Yes, it contains all of the Metal Gear Solid goodness fans are hoping for, but clocking in at a total of three hours of gameplay (including the side missions) for the $29.99 price tag feels like a developer being presumptuous and arrogant, almost daring a fan to refuse.
  2. Apr 10, 2014
    Konami should really give a raise to the genius who came up with the idea of selling what is basically a demo version for $29.99. You see, there is only one mission in Ground Zeroes. I was gawking around and taking screenshots, and I still managed to beat it in less than 90 minutes. You can do it in 30 even if you don’t skip the lengthy cinematics.
  3. Mar 26, 2014
    It may be a prologue, but it’s a damn good one.