8.3

1. Mar 16, 2017
    I really enjoyed my experience with Zestiria, and thought it was a solid addition to the Tales of series. I admit, I am a loyal fan of the series, and love the storytelling and character development present in all its titles (at least the ones I have played), and this game is no exception. I thought Sorey was great as a main character, and had great development from being naive and notI really enjoyed my experience with Zestiria, and thought it was a solid addition to the Tales of series. I admit, I am a loyal fan of the series, and love the storytelling and character development present in all its titles (at least the ones I have played), and this game is no exception. I thought Sorey was great as a main character, and had great development from being naive and not knowing much about the world in the beginning, though learning more throughout his journey which culminates into the decisions he makes towards the end of the game. He was a relatable character, and watching him and the other characters grow was a pleasure. In many ways, it is a simple story, but through the side quests and the skits, there is much to learn about the characters and many great messages to take away. I remember one part when one of the characters talked about the importance of critical thinking and not buying into narratives just because it may feel convincing - there are smart dialogues in this game that talk important issues which can be transferable to issues in the real world.

The battles were really fun - I really liked the "transformations" in the game and how you could use the mechanics of that to your advantage. The equipment attributes were really confusing at first, though once you play through it more you are able to use it as strategy for harder battles. It is difficult though to "intentionally" try to get the best equipment stats wise and the special skills you want. The graphics were great, overall. I really like this type of 3D anime style, and the environments were solid, as in most of the Tales games. I thoroughly enjoyed the music, and listen to the OST now and then. Motoi Sakuraba and Go Shiina did a phenomenal job.

Only thing I was really bothered about was the design of a certain character's hat, it's not really that big of a deal but it bothered me...

I thought this was a very classic, Tales title. If you like Tales and JRPGs, you will like this game. The strength of this game is in the storytelling and the fun battles, so if you primarily like to explore in games, this may not be for you.

It seems to not be the most highly rated in the series, and I understand the general consensus of why. Though I enjoyed this just as much as every other game in the series. Tales games are consistently fun and have great storytelling, which is why I love Zestiria and the series franchise! I think I clocked about 80 hours in this game, and I didn't do much of the post-game content, so it'll keep you engaged for awhile!

And Sorey is one of my favorite Tales characters, he's the best nerd and his optimism is contagious. ^_^
  2. Apr 8, 2017
    Game is good but my issues are
    -Story is way too straightforward and Lacks in-depth
    -Characters are forgettable at times
    -Worst Camera I've seen in battle of an ARPG
    -Gameplay that could use some improvements
    -Is it me or does my PS3 freezes during battle at times lol
    not bad but the camera, framerate and freezes lands this game at a 5/10

There are no critic reviews yet.