8.2

1. Feb 14, 2014
    A fantastic insight into Ellie's backstory. Some great combat sections and a few genuinely touching moments. Its short, but remember, its quality over quantity. Some people obviously don't know the meaning. And to the idiot's questioning why the last of us got 10's and was so highly rated, it received these rating's because it deserved to. These same people most probably haven't evenA fantastic insight into Ellie's backstory. Some great combat sections and a few genuinely touching moments. Its short, but remember, its quality over quantity. Some people obviously don't know the meaning. And to the idiot's questioning why the last of us got 10's and was so highly rated, it received these rating's because it deserved to. These same people most probably haven't even played the full game, let alone this DLC. Expand
  2. Aug 28, 2015
    At barely more than two hours long some might feel Left Behind is a little too short. For me however it is great example of what DLC can offer if the developers make the effort by retaining the great gameplay of the original, albeit in smaller chunks, whilst telling its own self contained story (as well as filling in a gap in the main games story) through delightfully written and actedAt barely more than two hours long some might feel Left Behind is a little too short. For me however it is great example of what DLC can offer if the developers make the effort by retaining the great gameplay of the original, albeit in smaller chunks, whilst telling its own self contained story (as well as filling in a gap in the main games story) through delightfully written and acted cut scenes. Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2014
    Welcomed DLC but I would of rather they included something other than Ellies back story. She doesn't really act like the Ellie we all know and love in TLoU so this DLC actually made me think less of Ellies character in general... The gameplay is good though..I will say that you do not need this DLC, it doesn't really bring anything to TLoU but just an extension to the game itself, and aWelcomed DLC but I would of rather they included something other than Ellies back story. She doesn't really act like the Ellie we all know and love in TLoU so this DLC actually made me think less of Ellies character in general... The gameplay is good though..I will say that you do not need this DLC, it doesn't really bring anything to TLoU but just an extension to the game itself, and a short one at that. Expand
  4. Feb 12, 2017
    Easily the best DLC ever made. The story and acting are incredible, just as in the main game. Who would have thought hearing a character describe a video game inside a video game could be so engrossing? Plus, taking this part of the story out of the main game actually adds to the experience considering it partially takes place during a bit a of a cliffhanger of the main story. PlayingEasily the best DLC ever made. The story and acting are incredible, just as in the main game. Who would have thought hearing a character describe a video game inside a video game could be so engrossing? Plus, taking this part of the story out of the main game actually adds to the experience considering it partially takes place during a bit a of a cliffhanger of the main story. Playing the main game again afterwards, you pick up on a lot of references to Left Behind Expand
  5. Aug 9, 2016
    Left Behind is the perfect single player DLC to the masterpiece The Last of Us. It introduces the new character Riley and tells a heart warming story about her and Ellie's developing relationship within their apocalyptic world. Just like the original game; amazing performances, great graphics, great writing, great gameplay, and great music make Left Behind a masterpiece. This is the bestLeft Behind is the perfect single player DLC to the masterpiece The Last of Us. It introduces the new character Riley and tells a heart warming story about her and Ellie's developing relationship within their apocalyptic world. Just like the original game; amazing performances, great graphics, great writing, great gameplay, and great music make Left Behind a masterpiece. This is the best DLC. Ever. Expand
  6. Feb 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last of Us was an excellent game, and it did not need this DLC in the slightest, but I am still glad that this was created in order to add a little more to the story. If they do continue with a few more DLC packs, it would be interesting to see something prequel wise from several other supporting or main characters' perspectives, but it is equally nonessential to making such an excellent title better. Left Behind is a worthwhile addition to the lore of The Last of Us' universe without touching the ending, and that preservation of the ambiguity and mystery is why I enjoyed it the most. I enjoyed taking control of Ellie once more and seeing things through her originally more-innocent and naive perspective, sad though that was. That girl is gone now, but the story lives on.

Concept: Single-player additional content that is meant to expand upon the universe of The Last of Us, and adds more flavor into Ellie's own backstory and personal life after the apocalypse and during it.

Graphics: The graphical beauty of the main game continues in this additional content, and though it is on a technically last generation console, it still plays better than some Play Station 4 titles do with the new capabilities of that console.

Sound: The characters may have been changed up slightly, but their voice acting and that of even routine encounters with strangers and adversaries is perfectly done and showcases Naughty Dog's attention to detail and willingness to craft top-notch work.

Playability: The action is as gritty and memorable as any moments throughout The Last of Us, and the controls and moments blend together as well as any in the main content of the game. Definitely a memorable, if short experience.

Entertainment: The writing and story itself are well-written, even if they don't have the time to reach such epic levels as the main story's content. The characters are cohesive and believable. The universe works well with this prequel added in for the benefit of fleshing more characters out. And overall, it is a very enjoyable experience that- if a bit superfluous, is definitely to be enjoyed by fans of the game for a decent price (your emotions, mostly).

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.25
  7. Mar 9, 2014
    Only 2 hours long but very good.
    Combat doesn't feel forced. Amazing details.
    One of the best dlc out there. This is not day-one dlc that you will find on some other games, this is dlc what took time and effort to make.
  8. Feb 14, 2014
    Just beaten Left Behind, and my verdict is as follows: This is a bit more (3 hours for me, on hard with all the exploration) of the same good the Last of Us we know, with all the brutal action, emotional scenes and touching moments. It is not a solid 10/10 because of two things: first, it's still a bit too short for the money asked, and second, it lacks the absolutely outstanding, crushingJust beaten Left Behind, and my verdict is as follows: This is a bit more (3 hours for me, on hard with all the exploration) of the same good the Last of Us we know, with all the brutal action, emotional scenes and touching moments. It is not a solid 10/10 because of two things: first, it's still a bit too short for the money asked, and second, it lacks the absolutely outstanding, crushing and unforgettable episodes like the prologue and the ending from the original. Nevertheless, it's still a quality DLC and a must-buy for the fans of the original. By the way, make sure you connect your Facebook account to the PS3 for this one, you'll get a something memorable for your wall after a certain moment in the playthrough. Expand
  9. Feb 24, 2014
    This is one of the best DLCs I've ever played. It's affordable and it provides a very in depth backstory to Ellie you couldn't get without playing the DLC. It's not the longest DLC but DLCs shouldn't be long as they are... well... DLCs. I recommend it highly!
  10. Feb 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me just star this by saying, if you enjoyed The Last of Us (like everyone else), then you need to get this. It's story is excellent, its gameplay is top-notch, and, even with the PS4 on the market, it still looks gorgeous. That being said, I have a few caveats that stop me from giving it a 10/10. It is a tad short, for starters. Normally length is not a problem for me, but I feel as though the conclusion with the two girls was cut short. Some of the combat, while awesome, felt a little forced as well. Also, the "reveal". I going to try to say this in as spoiler free a way as possible, but here goes nothing. I don't like what they did with the reveal, mostly because I don't like it when a character is suddenly and dramatically changed in an way that had no foreshadow or hint. Heck, if anything, we were led to believe the opposite. But even so, I would have been fine with it if it had been developed (as in Gone Home). To me, it felt like a cop out, and attempt to add more depth and characterization where there already was so much. Otherwise, the story was brilliant, and perfectly written. I loved all three hours with this, and I can't think of a better game to say goodbye to my PS3 with. $20 (on the season pass) well spent. Expand
  11. Feb 14, 2014
    If you're SO poor that you need to review a game based on cost, then please stop posting on metacritic. 15 dollars! Let me go check the ashtray in my car so I can pay for this DLC. 15 bucks is a pack of gum to me. You people should write reviews that matter instead of bashing a masterpiece.
  12. Feb 22, 2014
    This short DLC gives a lot more insight into Ellie's origins and does a good job of character development with Riley. It also fills in a gap in the original story. The environments are as detailed as before and there a few collectibles that aid in building up the story. The dialogue with Ellie and Riley is really well done. I think this DLC is meaningful and adds value to the TLOU story.This short DLC gives a lot more insight into Ellie's origins and does a good job of character development with Riley. It also fills in a gap in the original story. The environments are as detailed as before and there a few collectibles that aid in building up the story. The dialogue with Ellie and Riley is really well done. I think this DLC is meaningful and adds value to the TLOU story.

If you are someone who played through the original game and didn't care about the story development, characters, or dialogue, you won't like this DLC. It's light on action and the focus is really on story development. The action is still good, just not really new.

I think this DLC could have been a little longer and maybe had a little more action, but I recommend it to those who are big fans of all aspects of the original game. Those who value action over story may wish to skip this one, or may want to wait for a price reduction, if possible.

I played this on Survivor difficulty and have all collectibles and conversations. It took almost 3 hours and a little replaying for mopping up some collectibles. I had already purchased this DLC via Season Pass.
  13. Feb 17, 2014
    The Last of Us: Left Behind Review:
    Pros/ Good Points:
    The Last of Us: Left Behind Review:
    Pros/ Good Points:
    + An outstanding story with unseen twists. Strong characters and character development. I think the DLC looks better than The Last of Us, but I'm probably wrong. Although it is undeniable (along with it's big brother) the best looking game of this generation. Amazing sound design. Increble and touching soundtrack by Gustavo Santaolalla, with the tracks being (again) used in the most appropriate moments. Great new twist to the combat, now letting you make the infected and survivors fight against each other.
    Cons/ Bad Points:
    - There's trophy bug that doesn't let me achieve the 100% completition of the DLC (the trophy is BFF). It's only 1 and a half hour long with exploring everything prolonging it to 2 hours. Though it is an incredible experience and I would pay anything for it, I know most people wouldn't and with that said, the 15 dollars price tag is a bit too expensive. Last combat scene felt forced.
    Final Score and thoughts:
    The Last of Us: Left Behind is a remarkable experience with some things that make it difficult to give it a 10. Still, if you like good stories and liked The Last of Us, go and buy it. You won't regret it.
    Average Score: 9.3/10
    For the 'The Last of Us' review, go to:
  14. Feb 25, 2014
    Left Behind is a fantastic prequel to The last of us. It focuses on Ellie and her friend Riley. It's about Ellie's back story before the events of The last of us. It also ties in with the main story but I won't spoil anything here. This game takes story telling, characters, emotion and relationship building to a whole new level. You will just have so much fun and play with a smile on yourLeft Behind is a fantastic prequel to The last of us. It focuses on Ellie and her friend Riley. It's about Ellie's back story before the events of The last of us. It also ties in with the main story but I won't spoil anything here. This game takes story telling, characters, emotion and relationship building to a whole new level. You will just have so much fun and play with a smile on your face living the life's of two teenage girls as they go about their life's in a post apocalyptic world. The game focuses more on their characters and relationship and it has a more relaxed and playful tone than the main game. There are also new combat editions that makes you able to pit Humans against the infected that was really cool to play around with. The mini games and side stuff where really fun, an arcade game you play really has you enthralled and a water gun fight is somehow intense. I believe the best parts of the game are when you're just doing everyday teenage girl things. Of course in a post apocalyptic world that's filled with infected it's not all fun and games and you will have to deal with them. Ellie is much different than Joel in this regard. She is more nimble and has a handy knife but is a lot weaker and feels more vulnerable. The gameplay is identical to the main game and that's good because it's perfect. This game is short however but it's absolutely quality over quantity with this one. This DLC will stick with you and give you some talking points after the credits have rolled. It's one of the best DLC's I've came across and anyone who enjoyed the last of us should pick this DLC up because it complements the main game really well and tells us more about one of the best characters in recent times in video games Ellie. Expand
  15. Feb 17, 2014
    Left Behind is the long awaited dlc for the Last of Us. The dlc is both a prequel and a side story. The characters are great and the dialogue is some of the best we have seen in the gaming industry.

The story stands well on its on but also adds to the experience of the original game. The new combat situations stand among the best of the main game and especially the moments where you fight infected and humans at the same time are fresh and give a lot more strategic possibilities.

The only con i can think of is the length which is around 2.5 hours. I don't have a problem with the length because it still delivers a complete and meaningful story. overall i am really happy about the dlc and it is a must play for fans of the Last of Us.
  16. Feb 18, 2014
    This piece of dlc is based around the main game, it is played out in flashbacks. It contains a few collectibles, art gallery to increase playtime. The game has naturally borrowed gameplay mechanics from the main campaign which work really well and user friendly. The game on my first playthrough took me 2 and a half hours to complete on survivor difficulty and is was a fresh andThis piece of dlc is based around the main game, it is played out in flashbacks. It contains a few collectibles, art gallery to increase playtime. The game has naturally borrowed gameplay mechanics from the main campaign which work really well and user friendly. The game on my first playthrough took me 2 and a half hours to complete on survivor difficulty and is was a fresh and entertaining piece of dlc. It expertly portrays ellie as a funny and typical teenager, but a teenager with wisdom and a knack for survival. It fills out the missing parts from the main campaign and it ties up a lot of loose ends. I loved it and im going for another playthrough soon. Expand
  17. Feb 17, 2014
    I should be giving this DLC a 9, but am scoring it higher because ND should be rewarded for the risk they took with regards to its pacing and content.

After playing the Tibetan village scene in Uncharted 2 I realized that ND was capable of creating a AAA game with a minimal amount of combat where the main focus was dialog and exploration. This is the closest they've come to making one.

The first 75% (around two hours) of Left Behind are nothing short of superlative. Having read the prequel comics I was ecstatic about the game's references to events in these, as I was to the fact that the protagonists are strong-willed non-sexualized young women. There's plenty of dialog yet it never seems forced or artificial, and there are many serious conversations about the characters lives and where they're heading.

Like its story the game is beautiful and a few seconds into playing it my jaw had dropped as I was once again astonished at the level of graphics ND are able to get out of hardware bordering eight years of age, let alone the detail in their environments.

For me however, the reason these first two hours stood tall above almost all AAA games I've played until now was the amount of combat: there were two encounters with infected and no encounters with humans. And this was perfect.

They were segments in TLoU that nailed this (The opening section of the Fall chapter, the university, the sewers and the neighborhood) and are in fact my favorite parts of that game but overall I felt that TLoU had too much combat.

Clearing room after room of zombies and goons is not fun, and in a devastated world I don't expect there to be many of each. This plausibility issue was my my chief problem with TLoU and the last 25% of Left Behind.

There's too much combat in the DLC's penultimate chapter, and like TLoU ND still hasn't let go of one of their biggest sins: a difficulty spike at the end of a game. It's frustrating, ruins the pacing but above all signals to the player that game is coming to an end, causing instant loss of immersion.

But as I mentioned at the beginning I forgave ND for these issues as they are SO close to creating a game with a focus on dialog and exportation. A game where combat is intense but rare.

I only wish the DLC had lived up to its name, and left behind ND's addiction with combat completely.
  18. Feb 14, 2014
    Short but sweet. An amazing follow up to the main story with a lot of emotional moments and some amazing character development for Ellie. I loved this DLC, and the ending is also perfect.
  19. Feb 14, 2014
    The only way to describe this DLC is a short but sweet (in every sense of the word) prequel that completely lives up to the 'Last of Us' pedigree set by Naughty Dog with the original game. A very endearing and, at times heartbreaking story where we meet Ellie before her adventures with Joel. We see a side of Ellie that was only hinted at in the main story. Playful and lighthearted, moodyThe only way to describe this DLC is a short but sweet (in every sense of the word) prequel that completely lives up to the 'Last of Us' pedigree set by Naughty Dog with the original game. A very endearing and, at times heartbreaking story where we meet Ellie before her adventures with Joel. We see a side of Ellie that was only hinted at in the main story. Playful and lighthearted, moody and sometimes silly; Just a typical teenage girl living in the world life has handed her. That's not to say this DLC is all cutesy fun and games. This is offset by how the story goes back and forth between this past-Ellie and the one we know from her time with Joel, in a very fluid manor that could be jarring but is not. There is still much action and tension to be had. This is a masterfully told story that will grab you and never let go, even after the trip is over. The gameplay mechanics will be very familiar, so jumping right in should be no problem for anyone who has played the main game. Expand
  20. Feb 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maybe the best thing that could have happened after The Last of Us.
    It may be short, but totally worth the €15,-. At the end I was like: "Is this it?" I just wanted to keep playing and in less than a day, I already completed it 2 times and watched it 1 time on Youtube. The music is once again amazing. Especially the song at the end of the story and begin of the credits is still going bouncing in my heart (yeah). After the darkness of the main story, I think it was smart to do something that showed how much fun you could still have. A carroussel is not really the most awesome thing in this world for people older than 8, but I loved looking at Ellie while she was on it. The acting is really convincing, especially the end when Ellie was crying.
    I also liked all the links to our time, like the "what's a face book?" and all the twitter accounts and the sites (if you didn't know about that, you should google it).
    It may be not as good as The Last of Us itself and it will probably not mess with my head for so long, but it's a DLC and that's an extra. It's an exceptional DLC that many companies can look at before they make one.
    The Last of Us with Left Behind is something is something I will remember for the rest of my life and I'm really proud that this thing was made in the time I lived and played games. In 50 years, I hope I can just go to a kid of my age and show this game and say like: "Yeah, this was what we had and it's the most awesome thing in the history of things that exist", like my parents did with games like Pong.
  21. Feb 14, 2014
    Left Behind keeps the good pacing of TLOU, wisely interleaving calm and tense moments. It has good action scenes, including some new cool combat mechanics (I bet we will see them in the forthcoming new multiplayer DLC). I really buy the silly childish playing part, it's refreshing and useful to set the mood of the player. The narrative quality matches the one of the original game. Clearly,Left Behind keeps the good pacing of TLOU, wisely interleaving calm and tense moments. It has good action scenes, including some new cool combat mechanics (I bet we will see them in the forthcoming new multiplayer DLC). I really buy the silly childish playing part, it's refreshing and useful to set the mood of the player. The narrative quality matches the one of the original game. Clearly, this DLC is good and anyone who liked TLOU will like it. I only have a couple of criticisms: (a) even if it has some genuinely touching moments, in my case it didn't reach TLOU's peak emotional heights; (b) since it's a short experience (2-3 hours), the cost of each playing hour is double than in TLOU: $15/2.5h = 6 > 3 = $60/20h, not to mention TLOU multiplayer additional hours! You know, fan-oriented pricing policy consists in doubling... Finally, a (very minor) disappointment: Obviously, all players who completed TLOU expect some specific event to happen during this DLC. They won't be disappointed in this regard, but I think it's presented in a slightly inconclusive way, I expected a few more details before the scene ends! Do we need now a DLC of the DLC? Maybe at 4x price? ;-) Just kidding! Expand
  22. Feb 16, 2014
    This DLC is incredible. The DLC defiantly will make you experience some heartbreaking feelings after playing this. So, enjoy entering Ellie's past and try not to cry.
  23. Feb 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First i have to say: Thank you Naughty Dog, for this 2 intense hours of my life.

Get' s nine just because i didn't like the same not conclusive ending. We know who dies in the story, but watching the drama involved in that specific part is very important. Ok both were bitten, but what happened next?

Besides that it's an emotional, intense and thrilling add to this beautiful game.
  24. Feb 14, 2014
    Pros: brings new light on Ellie's story
    Introduces new enemy incounters with new areas with humans and infected
    brings you back to the world of the last of us while introducing new areas and new characters
    Cons: short 2/4 hours
    Combat sometimes feels unnecessary to the story there trying to portray
  25. Feb 16, 2014
    An incredible DLC with a lot of emotional moments and character character development for Ellie. Also the ending is perfect. A completely different experience, awesome soundtrack, awesome story.
  26. Feb 17, 2014
    I never purchase DLC because it's usually unnecessary and it's a way for developers to exploit the consumer. However, The Last of Us is a phenomenal game, which has a lot of story left to tell. In this DLC, you play as Ellie before she gets bitten, and you play as Ellie after Joel gets injured.

Ellie's adventure to help Joel: In addition to the usual gameplay, there are multi-faction

Ellie's adventure to help Joel:
    In addition to the usual gameplay, there are multi-faction battles between humans, the infected, and Ellie. It makes the gameplay dynamic and allows you to play each battle differently. The only downside about this, is that you only deal with multiple enemies in about two different instances. Combat isn't the only thing this section includes; in fact, it contains an emotionally powerful story, depicting Ellie's desperation to find supplies for Joel. It exhibits her transformation from being an innocent girl, to a girl who is forced to kill in order to save another human being.

Ellie exploring with Riley:
    In this storyline, Ellie is exploring a ravaged mall with her best friend, Riley. This part has no battle sequences, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Instead, the focus is solely on their relationship. Playing through this section is a rewarding experience in many ways. As the player, you get to experience happiness, sadness, and many other emotions. The writing is believable and feels very realistic. The only gripe I have with this section, is the ending. I feel that it could have shown a bit more than what was offered.

Pros:
    -Multi-Faction Battles
    -Excellent Writing
    -Answers Questions from the Main Game

Cons:
    -Short DLC(2-3 Hours Long)

Verdict:
    I recommend this DLC for any fan of The Last of Us. It contains many unanswered questions from the original campaign. Although the DLC is short, it is a very poignant, and beautifully written story that deserves to be experienced.
  27. Feb 18, 2014
    People looking for a story experience full of emotion and some more insight into Ellie, this is perfect.

Those looking to fight more enemies in new environments with new weapons and gear, might not like this one.

Worth the price and time spent though.
  28. Feb 14, 2014
    to be honest its not a total 10/10 game but it deserves 9. i'm gonna give a quick review. the last of us left behind DLC explains a lot and gives the story of last of us complete support. and the 2 hour game goes around 3 hours if you are onto exploration. still not bad for a DLC. the short story is a small package but a nuclear bomb itself. and no need to listen to haters who say "I LOVEto be honest its not a total 10/10 game but it deserves 9. i'm gonna give a quick review. the last of us left behind DLC explains a lot and gives the story of last of us complete support. and the 2 hour game goes around 3 hours if you are onto exploration. still not bad for a DLC. the short story is a small package but a nuclear bomb itself. and no need to listen to haters who say "I LOVE TLOU" but gives 0 ratings. there are always fake reviews to spoil the credibility of the game. as you can see there are no negative critic ratings this proves the capability of TLOU: LB. no fan can give a score under 8 because the game is built by one of the most reputed gaming developers Naughty Dog. this DLC pack has all it needs!!! -1 because i wished it was 3 hours long then it would had summed up around 4 hours. anyways for the price i think this is the best DLC so far Expand
  29. Feb 25, 2014
    This is a great DLC. Short but sweet. Not too challenging, but challenging enough to keep you having to try over and over a few times. But you get it pretty quickly.
  30. Feb 18, 2014
    Any excuse I get into playing more, original content for the Last of Us, I'll be all over. And this is no exception. There's alot to love about this short experience but there's a few things that don't really gel within the game. The game is goes from a series of flashbacks to present time, within the game, where you learn more about Ellie's motivations about why she's doing what she'sAny excuse I get into playing more, original content for the Last of Us, I'll be all over. And this is no exception. There's alot to love about this short experience but there's a few things that don't really gel within the game. The game is goes from a series of flashbacks to present time, within the game, where you learn more about Ellie's motivations about why she's doing what she's doing. The introduction of the character of Riley, who we've only heard about till this point, was well done. The storyline about her and Ellie's final day together was, by itself, enough for admission for me. There's a particular stance that the writers took here with their relationship that I fully applaud, even though it feels a bit forced. I won't go into details about the biggest key moment in the DLC, but it's got alot of people talking about it right now, and for good reason. I do feel like the combat portions of the game probably didn't need to be there. I wish the DLC had just focused on Ellie and Riley instead of trying to force you through a part of the main story that wasn't really necessary. It was a great experience and just goes to remind you that this is the last bit of original content for the Last of Us, which is really sad. The game and story end on a high note, just like everything else involved with the game. This truly was one of, if not the, best game of the last generation and it goes out with a bang. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants some more Last of Us to play. Expand
  31. Feb 15, 2014
    Some people said there's no sense on putting Ellie helping Joel and Ellie and Riley having fun in the same DLC. I'd rather say this was a perfect idea. Ellie and Riley were like sisters (if you played the DLC, you'll know they're more than friends) and one cared about the other, something that friends in real life usually don't. It compares Ellie's past friendship with her relationshipSome people said there's no sense on putting Ellie helping Joel and Ellie and Riley having fun in the same DLC. I'd rather say this was a perfect idea. Ellie and Riley were like sisters (if you played the DLC, you'll know they're more than friends) and one cared about the other, something that friends in real life usually don't. It compares Ellie's past friendship with her relationship (more like father-daughter) with Joel and tell us how far would Ellie go for somebody she loves. Ellie is more human the most of the real humans.
    I'd give it a 11/10, but that's not possible. So... 10/10, a masterpiece DLC for a masterpiece game
  32. Feb 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was maybe hte most anticipated DLC of the year, so Naughty Dog HAD to deliver, having the tough job of having to match the excellence of the full game in a "downloadable content" format. So choosing the prequel way, and throwing in the story of our favourite character, Ellie, Left Behind seem already the perfect choice.
    In here, we get to see two perspectives, or let's say, two Ellies. One is already with Joel, slaying her way out of a mall. The other one is with Riley, her best friend, who, if you finished the campaign, you know how that story is going to end. Both stories don't work together quite as well as the narration in the campaign did, but it still has the touching moments you expect, and the quirky and quotable dialogue.
    Gameplay is the same, intense, challenging and open-ended, but the DLC introduces a new feature into battle that is the one of "Mixed enemies". That means you have both, human enemies and infected, in a same room, giving you the choice of either going full-stealth one by one, or making them fight each other. Is a human near you? Throw a bottle near him, and let that clicker do its job. This makes the gameplay more tactical and surprisingly, more fun.
    And of course, it is a beautiful DLC, just as the game, it pushes the PS3 to limits we have never seen before. So, in the end, Left Behind is short and a tad expensive (14.99 USD) but its two hour journey provides fans exactly what they want: More The Last of Us, and also a heart-warming story about two girls in this post-apocalyptic world whose story is both touching and devastating.
  33. Feb 27, 2014
    Just like the main game,Left Behind is an aboslute masterpiece.Amazing graphics,incredible storyline,great gameplay and some of the best characters in gaming.The DLC could definetly be longer,it's only about 2 to 2 and a half hours long,but it's definetly worth it even for the pricepoint of 15 dollars.Quality over quantity,as they say.And when it comes to quality,this game has itJust like the main game,Left Behind is an aboslute masterpiece.Amazing graphics,incredible storyline,great gameplay and some of the best characters in gaming.The DLC could definetly be longer,it's only about 2 to 2 and a half hours long,but it's definetly worth it even for the pricepoint of 15 dollars.Quality over quantity,as they say.And when it comes to quality,this game has it all.Congratulations,Naughty Dog,you guys did it again! Expand
  34. Feb 18, 2014
    A short but awesome DLC; this DLC is as good as the main story in terms of quality. my only complaint is that i found the DLC too easy even on survivor mode.

Yes if you have played the main story then you already know what happens in this DLC but it is still very enjoyable to play and it will still be an unforgettable experience, this really shows how good the game and the DLC is put together.

I will repeat what i said on my main game review to emphasize what i think of this game.."To put it simply, if they did a re-release of this game on the PS4, I'd buy it again full price and buy a PS4 in the process even though i played through this game 6 times and done achievement runs."
  35. Feb 20, 2014
    OMG ive waited so long for a game like this with female characters who are not just put in the plot because the game wants to be 'progressive' but is actually backwards because they're just there for the men.

This took me back to teenage years and does it so well. People who say that games cant tell stories as well as books should play this and open their dumb minds. People who say this costs too much are just plain dumb because most dlc has 1 hour of story content but is then filled to 5 hours with repetitive combat. Bioshock dlc anyone??? This does the opposite and has 3 hours without any combat and then (i admit) fills the last half hour (only about 15%!!) with combat but that doesnt mean this game deserves anything less than 10.

This was the only game ive ever played where i played it for the second time immediately after finishing it the first time. It's so good. No I didn't cry like I did in TLoU but there's a subtlety in the whole game. I hardly have to say how rare it is for a game to have this but enough from me! If you havent played it already do so. Trust me on this you wont regret it. Also PC snobs can go screw themselves but by not playing the game they already are by missing out on this masterpiece. I know its super early but this is the game to beat for goty this year.
  36. Feb 21, 2014
    The three words I used to describe "The Last of Us" were: uncompromising, beautiful, and tragic.
    The three words I use to describe "Left Behind" are: intimate, awkward, and evocative. Although I am a middle aged parent, I was quickly beguiled by the portraits of Ellie and Riley and their relationship. It reminded me of my own adolescence: the frustrations and joys of trying to figure out people and the world. Reluctantly clinging to but then shedding the familiarities of childhood while pretending to be ready and confident to deal with matters of imminent adulthood. "Left Behind" painted this familiar, but often easy to mess up, narrative in the context of the grim realities of "The Last of Us" with such skill and nuance that a lot can be written and still not do it full justice. My simple recommendation is, like the full game, to take your time and play the DLC to the maximum. Consume every last drop and at the end you will be amazed, satisfied, and reflective.

I am probably in the minority when I say that I hope that Naughty Dog does not make a sequel or more DLCs to "The Last of Us". I believe that nothing more needs to be added to these characters and their story. It is complete. Thanks, Naughty Dog.
  37. Feb 22, 2014
    The Last of us Left behind is an extraordinary dlc adding new combat elements such as the infected vs human element and also delivering a violent mature emotional script with skill and attention to detail with its subtle but powerful subtext. The DLC shines some light on some of the events in the main game giving the ending and relationships formed within the single player campaign evenThe Last of us Left behind is an extraordinary dlc adding new combat elements such as the infected vs human element and also delivering a violent mature emotional script with skill and attention to detail with its subtle but powerful subtext. The DLC shines some light on some of the events in the main game giving the ending and relationships formed within the single player campaign even more effect and potency . I will not talk about
    story for long as it is best experienced blind but the basic plot is Reilly and Ellie two best friends exploring a run down mall in a post apocalyptic america before the events of the main game. Overall the dlc is well worth a play it pulls on your heartstrings in a short but brilliant tale.
  38. Feb 24, 2014
    Left Behind gives Last of Us fans more of what they loved before: A compelling story, tense gameplay, terrific voice work, and emotional cutscenes. This is one of the best DLC i've played in a long time!
  39. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This DLC is fantastic and a bit difficult the story is great i really enjoyed how they had the pre-qual storyline and a second storyline following the part after the university part. It also some side activities which were very cool. But it felt a tiny bit short. Expand
  40. Mar 27, 2014
    A great prequel and Ellie's backstory, it's awesome, Riley's character was unique in this story, without her Ellie wouldn't be Ellie, The Last of Us and this DLC would leave a very and unforgettable mark in video games history.
  41. Mar 8, 2014
    Naughty Dog brings "The Last of Us" back with a fantastic DLC. We get a look back at Ellie's past, as well as what she was doing during the time Joel was injured. It's fantastic, emotional, and features that fantastic and believable writing I've come to expect from Naughty Dog. There are also some tense combat sections as well plenty of new collectibles to find.

The DLC is a little

The DLC is a little short. and the only reason to really replay it is to collect everything, but this is still worth the purchase for any "The Last of Us" fan. More of this game's fantastic world, story, and gameplay is always welcome in my book. Hopefully we'll see more story based DLC for this game in the future.
  42. Feb 20, 2014
    The little gameplay you get is FANTASTIC. However, it's so short I was actually shocked. My biggest problem is, why did we have to play as Ellie in the "present" time? That's what we spent all of The Last of Us doing. I really wish the whole DLC should have played out before TLOU and not just half. Other than that, incredible, but you get like one hour of worthwile gameplay. Lazy.
  43. Feb 23, 2014
    The highly anticipated DLC to The Last of Us has arrived. Set before the main game, Left Behind shows us a glimpse into Ellie's past set between the American Dreams comic book and the beginning of the main game. The game also has sections that place themselves between the Autumn & Winter chapters where Ellie needs to care for Joel after the incident at the University.
    The story is of
    The story is of course the main point and Left Behind is essential for any TLoU player, it brings a whole other context to some of the events in the main game and gives Ellie's final speech at the end of the main game even more of an impact than it did previously. I wont spoil anything, but as long as you have avoided spoilers so far, you'll be in for a hell of a surprise around 3/4ths of the way in the DLC.
    The DLC is between 2 & 4 hours long and plays very similarly to the main game with the only exception being that the combat is a lot more difficult due to scarce supplies & playing as a weaker character.
    In short, buy Left Behind if you have The Last of Us and if you dont have The Last of Us buy them both now. There is a reason why this was the best game of 2013 and the DLC only proves that point more by sending a powerful & shocking message to the games industry as a whole, an industry afraid to shift away from generic, brown haired male protagonists to now have an extremely beloved character to be the exact opposite of that.
    Hats off to Naughty Dog for another stand out experience and here's hoping we get to have another experience with The Last of Us in the future.
  44. Aug 23, 2014
    Pretty good dlc, but in my opinion the length of this dlc brings this standalone purchase down by a lot. I beat it in about 3 hours, and that includes scavenging. But nonetheless this is a pretty good compliment to The Last of Us, intense moments mixed in with unique/happy moments was what made this dlc good for me. If this was a teaser for upcoming sequels of the game, then I am stokedPretty good dlc, but in my opinion the length of this dlc brings this standalone purchase down by a lot. I beat it in about 3 hours, and that includes scavenging. But nonetheless this is a pretty good compliment to The Last of Us, intense moments mixed in with unique/happy moments was what made this dlc good for me. If this was a teaser for upcoming sequels of the game, then I am stoked for this franchise. Expand
  45. PCR
    Feb 26, 2014
    Left Behind reminded me why I loved The Last of Us so much. It was easily my favorite game of 2013, and possibly my favorite game of all time. When the first and final single-player DLC, Left Behind, was announced, I couldn’t wait to jump back into the incredible world that Naughty Dog created.

Left Behind takes place before the events of The Last of Us. You play as Ellie and are accompanied by your best friend, Riley. This takes place before Ellie ever met Joel. In addition to playing as a slightly younger Ellie in the events that took place before The Last of Us, the game also fills you in on what Ellie was up to while Joel was nearly bleeding to death during the campaign. At first, it may not make sense as to why the game shows these two events together, but it becomes more clear as the game progresses that there is a correlation, mostly emotional, between the two events.

Playing as Ellie feels a lot different than playing as Joel, as one would imagine. Ellie can handle herself well, but she’s not as hardened of a killer as Joel is, obviously. Ellie dons her trusty switchblade, but don’t let that make you feel comfortable. I found that it’s better to be as stealthy as possible, especially when playing on Hard or Survivor difficulties.

I absolutely love the relationship between Riley and Ellie that developed over just a couple hours. It made me think about my best friend growing up, and just how special a friendship between two teenage girls can be. It was nice to meet someone that Ellie cared about other than Joel, and it really made me realize why she is so scared to lose someone again. She needs Joel as much as he needs her.

Final thoughts

Gameplay: Like I said before, playing as Ellie feels much different than playing as Joel, and it’s definitely more difficult to play as Ellie. However, the combat is very refreshing, and it felt good to kill Infected again.

Appearance: As expected, environments and all visuals are absolutely gorgeous. I really missed this world, as weird as that may sound. I know Ellie would kill for the opportunity to escape that world as soon as possible.

Sound: The voice acting performed by Ashley Johnson and Yaani King is superb. Their friendship is absolutely beautiful, and this could not have been fully realized if not for the incredible acting performances. The music is borrowed from the main game’s soundtrack, and is beautiful, as always.

Bottom line: Any fan of The Last of Us cannot afford to miss this brilliant story expansion. If you have not played the main campaign, please do not play this DLC; it will mean almost nothing to you. However, if you played and enjoyed the incredible universe that Naughty Dog created, do not miss out on Left Behind. At $14.99, it may seem a bit pricey for just over two hours of gameplay, but it’s worth every penny.
  46. Apr 29, 2014
    The Last of Us: Left Behind is what you'd expect from Naughty Dog. Intense, emotional, compelling, captivating, and well put together. This DLC clocks in at around 3 hours long, and not one minute of it drags behind. Naughty Dog put in great effort into making their very first single player DLC.
    There are 2 different stories that play back-to-back here, and it fills in some of the gaps that seemed to have been unexplained in the main game. However, I thought the ending felt just a little rushed and inconclusive. It also felt a little too short for a $15 asking price. That's $5 per hour, if you don't plan on replaying it on a higher difficulty or finding all the collectibles. A 3-hour long DLC inside a 12-hour long main game is fine. It's the price that bothered me. I felt this should've been only $10. Also I did have a couple minor problems with the gameplay, such as the huge difficulty spike at the end, and Ellie automatically standing up after stealth killing an enemy from a crouched stance, causing you to make noise by accident.
    Everything else about this DLC exceeded my expectations. It was an incredibly satisfying short addition to my favorite game of 2013. For the most part. Good job, Naughty Dog. You developers never disappoint. You're the best of the bunch.

8/10 - Great
  47. Jan 3, 2018
    this game perfect There's nothing wrong with it. Interesting Sometimes sad like a movie. I do not need words. buy now
  48. Mar 31, 2014
    This DLC makes you remember why Last of Us drew in gamers worldwide. One of the most compelling stories to ever touch gamers gets even deeper into the backstory, in this dlc, and it's worth every bit.
  49. Apr 5, 2017
    This DLC was not something I looked forward to. I have seen many DLC that are so low quality and add very little substance to the original. then I saw this through to the end and I have to say this effected me far more than the entire game of 'last of us'. the story of the two young girls rekindling their friendship was so deep and it totally drew me in. It was so well staged that I fellThis DLC was not something I looked forward to. I have seen many DLC that are so low quality and add very little substance to the original. then I saw this through to the end and I have to say this effected me far more than the entire game of 'last of us'. the story of the two young girls rekindling their friendship was so deep and it totally drew me in. It was so well staged that I fell in love with Riley and after finishing it I have found myself in tears a lot recalling the precious moments they spent together. It's so magical, it reminds me of a lot of precious moments from my own life and the delivery is incredible. there were times that I just didn't even think of them as characters, the animation and lighting etc was so realistic I felt like I was looking at real people.
    The action parts and traversing the environment was fairly rewarding. I liked the change in the way the game plays with the different character. climbing and getting around the environment seems more of a focus with Ellie and the fighting also has me feeling more vulnerable. which is perfect for playing as a young girl. Fact is though, she can truly do some real damage and hold her own in a pinch which impresses me no end.
  50. Jan 18, 2018
    Потусить в магазине, пофоткаться, поиграть на сломанном аркадном автомате, пострелять из водяных пистолетов и поцеловать Райли на 10 из 10.
  51. Jun 30, 2014
    Just like The Last of Us, Left Behind has proven that great gameplay can coexist with a great story that sheds more light in Ellie's backstory, making her an even cooler character.
    My only issue with the DLC is that it is too short, and the combat was at times original (making infected and other humans fight each other) and at times difficult, maybe making it almost unnecessary.
    Even
    Even though, I think any PS3 owner should play this (and the main story, of course).
  52. Jul 26, 2014
    The Last of Us: Left Behind is an excellent dlc for an already great game. It tells a short but unforgettable experience. The gameplay is as good as always, and not much more can be said, as it is so good.
  53. May 7, 2014
    Left Behind is probably the best DLC i have ever played, it adds to Ellie's character and background and is definitely worth the tad expensive price tag. If only it was longer, either way it is still a great addition to the story and the game
  54. Apr 18, 2014
    The Last Of Us: Left Behind is amazing, has a little more detail about the history of the game.The duration is acceptable, although not a major DLC.The story of Ellie with her friend Riley is fantastic.
  55. May 10, 2014
    muy bueno genial dlc para una obra maestra, lo malo es que es demasiado caro 14.99 por 2 horas de juego... aunque relata eventos muy buenos de la saga esperemos que en ps4 sea asombroso
  56. May 22, 2014
    Left Behind is one of the greatest downloadable games ever done. It fleshes out a character we fell in love with before and also surprises us in way's so few other games ever do.
  57. Aug 9, 2014
    Adds to the already amazing experience of The Last Of Us, it gives a good insight to Ellie's story and is a good DLC. Would recommend to every TLOU fan out there
  58. Aug 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Greatest Heart Warming Action Packed, game iv'e ever played.... Im a girl so i personally cry whenever i see sarah die, but ive played this game 13 times in completion and i just cant break free from this AMAZING game. TO EVERYONE if you think this game sounds girly or like a chic flick, i say to go crawl down a hole.... and die, Cant really get past the fact Ellie turns out to be gay, but im not against gay people, just the fact that its really not been in a game before 10/10 Expand
  59. Apr 14, 2016
    Ellie returns as new light is shed on her relationship with Riley, her best friend from the military boarding school they both grew up in. After inexplicably disappearing for weeks, Riley reemerges in Ellie’s life with a surprising revelation. The two sneak out of their school for the last time, leading to a series of events that will forever change both of their lives
  60. Jun 20, 2015
    The best experience ever! the story never bores and although the end was predicted even if you hits. And now ellie is the important character because in the last of us joel is
  61. Apr 17, 2016
  62. Jan 9, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This DLC is a nice little side story about Ellie's past and "present" which many would recognize from the main story. I also wondered what and how Ellie patched up Joel by herself and it was cool to be able to play it out. The DLC is not long, rather it is super short, and not too long and dragged out to become boring or stale. Two stories ran parallel to each other with the player (you) participating in both "time lines". I thought this was pretty cool, but I have seen this technique used in other games. Regardless, it was fun and a nice little touch after the main events of The Last of Us. Expand
  63. Jan 17, 2017
    Pros:
    - Plugs a critical hole in the original's narrative
    - Playing as Ellie is fun and noticeably different from Joel
    - Introduces a new scenario (infected and humans in the same encounter) that probably should have been in the original
    - Water gun section was fun

Cons:
    - Not much is new here
    - Not a big fan of Riley's character
    - Arcade sequence was kind of cheesy

True Score: 8.4
  64. Feb 14, 2014
    You know, I was amazed by how it started and what direction it went in! A very fitting piece to this wonderful puzzle. Naughty Dog is truly one of a kind!
  65. Feb 14, 2014
    When we approach "Left Behind", we have to ask ourselves, "What if it's the best part of The Last of Us thus far?"

I managed to avoid every other trailer aside form the thirty second reveal shown back in November. I find that nowadays, every trailer is a spoiler. This made my experience all the more enjoyable. The downloadable story of about 3 hours, tells a prologue story of Ellie.

This made my experience all the more enjoyable.

The downloadable story of about 3 hours, tells a prologue story of Ellie. Before leaving the quarantine zone. Before Joel. Before the Fireflies.
    You play as Ellie on the very day that she was bitten, while her and a young friend named Riley explore an abandoned mall.
    There was a lot more to the story than I could have ever expected, however, that's something that you must see for yourself to truly appreciate.

One of the best parts about the new DLC, is the removal of a large part of the combat. One of the things that slightly frustrated me about the first game, was the fact that it seemed like killing people was the only thing allowing me to progress through the level.
    This time around, it's down to just the narrative to drive the story. There are some of the mechanics that were intended to be used for combat purposes in the original game, that have been reworked in some of the most wonderful ways I could ever have imagined.
    You also are given quite a bit of freedom to roam around the locations of the game, and there is a great sense of exploration that comes into play.

I should comment on the length, and I cannot even express how frustrating it is to see registered critics docking points because it is relatively short. If critics could only see past the function of the game as a distraction and more as the piece of art that it is, they may realize that it is quality over quantity that matters, and always will be.
    Not to even mention the fact that at around 3 hours (while I was taking my time to explore), I found it even then to be a little drawn out. But spending an extra half an hour with such wonderful characters is hardly a bad thing.

Overall, The Last of Us: Left Behind, is a phenomenal addition to one of the greatest games of all time.
    You should already know if you're interested in returning to the dark, harrowing world of Ellie and Joel, but if you are even slightly on the fence, just know that the $15 spent will not be wasted.

A 10.

Jack Valentine
  66. Feb 15, 2014
    Masterpiece DLC for a masterpiece game! A completely different experience, awesome soundtrack, awesome story even when you know what will be happen. 10/10
  67. Feb 16, 2014
    Great new gameplay elements introduced. Great connection to the main game. This DLC may be short (2-3 hrs) but offers enough for a (season pass) purchase. The only gripe is the unnecessary element of implying Ellie is a lesbian. Now I'm not homophobic but it was very apparent ND just threw that in at the last minute to be looked upon as "groundbreaking" for video games. In the end it wasGreat new gameplay elements introduced. Great connection to the main game. This DLC may be short (2-3 hrs) but offers enough for a (season pass) purchase. The only gripe is the unnecessary element of implying Ellie is a lesbian. Now I'm not homophobic but it was very apparent ND just threw that in at the last minute to be looked upon as "groundbreaking" for video games. In the end it was a short, pointless action that wasn't needed for the already strong relationship between her and Riley. Expand
  68. Feb 14, 2014
    The Last of Us Left behind is Stunning ! , It's called a DLC so yes it's shot but it's enough. I played for maybe 3h-3h30 at difficult. It's a sequel of the comics if you ever read those: American Dreams.

I recommend for every person who love the last of us : true fan will adore this new DLC !!!
  69. Feb 14, 2014
    The Last Of us Left behind is an epic follow up to the main game and as a DLC it shines
    Pros
    - Amazing Story - Awesome characters - New Gameplay elements - Visuals and Detail - Emotion Cons - Rushed at times Do not trust anyone who says " I love the last of us " but gives this game a 0-5 score ... Anyone who played both games would understand that this is a DLC and it is
    Pros
    - Amazing Story
    - Awesome characters
    - New Gameplay elements
    - Visuals and Detail
    - Emotion
    Cons
    - Rushed at times

Do not trust anyone who says " I love the last of us " but gives this game a 0-5 score ... Anyone who played both games would understand that this is a DLC and it is meant to be a mini adventure .
  70. Feb 15, 2014
    Хорошо рассказанная история.Мне нравится что в дополнение упор идет больше на историю, чем на экшен.
  71. Feb 14, 2014
    Simply incredible! the graphics are amazing even on LOW 720p! and On a PS3 console! Story is great! tense is there, gameplay is good as well. This is one of the better DLC I have ever played!
  72. Feb 19, 2014
    This is a must play for Last Of Us fans -if you liked the main story game-. 2 things I liked here.
    1) You get to know what Ellie faced when she was trying to save Joel's life after the ambush in the uni during winter. Here the fans of The Last of Us Combat and stealth system should have their moments.
    2) Story and emotion intense exploring Ellie & Railly friendship. I read 2 of comic books "American Dream". But to get to play part of them is something else. I enjoyed watching and learning about this friendship.
    This DLC is short but worth it if you are fan of the game.
    I give this 8.5/10 but as there is no 8.5 here I will go up for 9.
  73. Feb 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like the game. It wasn't what I was expecting but there were enough valuable things in it. I thought that the subtle love story was great. 9/10 for me. Expand
  74. Feb 14, 2014
    The Last of Us Left Behind only has around two hour of single player experience, but that´s not just we are looking for in the DLC.
    The DLC is just Amazing, I mean Naughty Dog did a great job again, the story telling, the past, what is left behind is what it shows the potential in the The Last of Us.
  75. Mar 1, 2014
    Game received from me pure 10 because I think this is probably best game in history. Left behind is enjoyable, but really too much cut scenes and "follow me" parts. I think it last about 2-2.5 hours and real gameplay is about 45 minutes. Regardless it's still enjoyable but not for highest score.
  76. Feb 15, 2014
    To be honest I would give street cleaner simulator a 10 if the driver was Ellie.
    It is way too short and end is a little bit disappointing, how come Ellie didn't have to kill Riley? How did naughty dog miss such a powerful scene?
  77. Feb 14, 2014
    Left behind was better than I expected. I thought that there was nothing more in the last of us that could impress because I loved the game and played 4-5 times. But left behind had it suprisses and I really enjoyed playing. One of the best singleplayer DLC I have ever played.

+ Amazing story
    + Suprisses
    + solid length
    + Beauitul sound
    + Ellie
  78. Feb 17, 2014
    Another example of why Naughty Dog has become one of the most important (if not THE most important) developers of our generation. They take an almost perfect game and add a DLC that is ACTUALLY worth our money and time. Playing Left Behind was like playing Last of Us all over again - but having the whole experience in a nut shell: fear, adrenaline, laughter, tears, joy. These guys are notAnother example of why Naughty Dog has become one of the most important (if not THE most important) developers of our generation. They take an almost perfect game and add a DLC that is ACTUALLY worth our money and time. Playing Left Behind was like playing Last of Us all over again - but having the whole experience in a nut shell: fear, adrenaline, laughter, tears, joy. These guys are not "game makers"; they are alchemists, wizards, poets. I just cannot believe the amount of emotions they can squeeze in a 3 hours chapter; without mentioning a beautiful revelation, given in such delicate way, that made me silent and radiant. I only give 9 because this is too short; we need more, we need to see what's going on. Other than that, the only thing I could say is "Thank You". Expand
  79. Feb 14, 2014
    The Last of Us: Left Behind is a two hour single player DLC that shouldn't be missed if your a fan of the original game. Yes, at $15.00 you may be hesitant to buy only a two hour long expansion. But "Left Behind" uses its shortness to an advantage. Left Behind switches back and forth between events before the main game and during it. The more intriguing segments are the prequel content,The Last of Us: Left Behind is a two hour single player DLC that shouldn't be missed if your a fan of the original game. Yes, at $15.00 you may be hesitant to buy only a two hour long expansion. But "Left Behind" uses its shortness to an advantage. Left Behind switches back and forth between events before the main game and during it. The more intriguing segments are the prequel content, where you play as Ellie and go on a little adventure with Riley. Riley is a great character that was decently fleshed out in two hours. I completely bought their relationship. The content that takes place during the main game is right after Joel gets hurt and Ellie has to step up and save him. While during these segments you get to see Ellie become a very strong character, its all just action, meant for filler. I would have been happy with just the Ellie and Riley parts, which is what makes this DLC. (Minor spoiler)My only complaint is that we don't get to see Riley change and how Ellie deals with her death. Left Behind ends way to quick, but you cant help but be completely satisfied. If your hesitant on spend the $15 on the two DLC, you should go ahead and buy the season pass (at the same price). With the season pass you get Left Behind and two multiplayer map packs. Expand
  80. Feb 16, 2014
    I was unable to get emotionally invested into the last of us, but left behind trumps the base game by a landslide. Despite the disappointing ending, you feel the connection between ellie and riley and pray for there survival.
  81. Mar 7, 2014
    OK. Great fan here. *******Contains Some Spoilers**** I can see why some people rte this a bit harsh. Its because the bar was set so high in TLOU. The DLC did seem a bit scattered at times flashing between the past and present but all in all it was a good background story and flowed well.
    As others say, it is short. I finished it in one sitting (approx 2.5 hours) on survivor and really only struggled slightly in one area where you are forced to fight and kill runners.
    If you loved TLOU, this is an essential addition. Is it worth $22? Maybe not but then again you get it for free when you get the season pass for $29 ;)
  82. Apr 25, 2015
    NOTE: I DID NOT PLAY THIS ON A PS3, I PLAYED THE PS4 VERSION.

NOTE: I DID NOT PLAY THIS ON A PS3, I PLAYED THE PS4 VERSION.

Left Behind, is an undoubted masterpiece, it is one of the best DLC's out there. There is much more to the heart wrenching story of The Last Of Us, Left Behind is more human and excel in every way. It starts up in th middle of the events of The Last Of Us, Joel is badly wounded, and Ellie needs something to patch him up, or he will die of blood loss. She ventures into the Shopping Mall to find Health Aid Kits. But the story jumps back and forth between Ellie's mission to help Joel and Ellie's past with her friend Riley. And the transition between these events takes place smoothly enough to give you a sense of excitement and sadness mixed together in a nice martini of passion made by developer Naughty Dog. The best moments strike when you go around the mall with Riley and explore things that Ellie has never seen before, like Photo Booths, Merry Go Rounds and Arcades. At one point, you get to have a water fight and go inside a Halloween shopping store and dress up as wearwolves, and at one point in your life, you may have down those things, that is why Left Behind is so excellent on its own way. It is so human, that even when you're having fun, you are crying inside of you, it's clings on to you and never lets go even after it ends. There are smartly designed combat sections, like always, the horror is there and it is better than ever. If you have played The Last Of Us, you might know that the clickers of runners are no the biggest threat, the humans are, and the AI has significantly improved over the main game itself. If you have finished one of the best games ever created, this should be a breeze for you, a breeze that is warm and smells nicer than ever. At one point, I found a tape recorder that had a recording of a soldier telling his story as his wounds drag him down and eventually kill him, the depth gone into each and every part of this game is incredible and a Naughty Dog continues to impress me game after game and DLC after DLC. Left Behind is a must play, you have to experiance this human masterpiece. Left Behind can be called a game of it's own, you'll cringe, you'll cry, you'll remember.
  83. Aug 22, 2014
    A solid expansion to the already amazing "The Last of Us." It's a great addition to the story of the main game, allowing us to learn more about the beloved Ellie, whom we fell in-love with during the original story. I would love to see more of this.
  84. Mar 14, 2014
    I can pay a price of a AAA console game for this DLC, another epic story, a really additive DLC.
    Naughty Dog is really one of the best developers in the gaming industry.
  85. Apr 6, 2014
    This game just awesome.. Graphics.. sounds.. story.. I'll never stop playing The Last of Us and it's dlc's. I already finished the game 3 times.. however, story is so sad. I hope that Last of us never ends..
  86. Apr 7, 2014
    Hands down the best game I have ever played. It ruined playing any other game. I had to wait about 2 weeks before I could play anything else. It has it's faults, but what game doesn't. It is well worth the money! If your one of those people who like to just enjoy the ride then this game on EASY is perfect. If you want to go Boss then try harder difficulties. Either way it's amazing.
  87. May 20, 2014
    The greatest DLC I've ever played and it has the great story line, for being a DLC. After I heard that this was coming out I immediately pre-ordered it, well actually I pre-ordered it on Christmas
  88. Aug 16, 2016
    The Last of Us: Left Behind is an action-adventure survival horror video game developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment.

Ellie returns as new light is shed on her relationship with Riley, her best friend from the military boarding school they both grew up in. After inexplicably disappearing for weeks, Riley reemerges in Ellie’s life with a surprising revelation. The two sneak out of their school for the last time, leading to a series of events that will forever change both of their live.

+ Ellie and Riley Relationship
  89. Feb 15, 2014
    I praised several elements that up to this point, id like to think, make The Last of Us a revolutionary game, it’s story, and the subjects that the game talks about. Left Behind tries it’s best to recreate the true “emotional” atmosphere that the main game did, it is impressive visually, the animations and graphics are never something to complain of while speaking about this game, as aI praised several elements that up to this point, id like to think, make The Last of Us a revolutionary game, it’s story, and the subjects that the game talks about. Left Behind tries it’s best to recreate the true “emotional” atmosphere that the main game did, it is impressive visually, the animations and graphics are never something to complain of while speaking about this game, as a matter of fact, technically the game it’s outstanding. However, the complains begin to rise when talking about the development of the characters and the reasoning behind creating a parallel storyline.

It is something that i can’t stand, when a developer decides to put effort into creating something utterly unnecessary for the final product. It begins with the game giving you a hindsight in a minor plot hole of the main game’s storyline, Joel gets hurt and Ellie has to find a way to cure him. It’s irrelevant to the storyline of Ellie and Ashley, the parts that i thoroughly enjoyed were the ones that truly showed at it’s full splendor how special and unique the relationship between the two friends used to be.

Ellie trying to find the medication for the injured Joel, doesn’t add to anything in game, and as matter of fact it retracts from the experience. The messages are also not that cleverly hidden, it is predictable and sometimes sneeringly cheesy, the way that they exploit in a banal and indirect perception of what friendship is. Luckily this happens on the first minutes of the game, and vanishes away for the rest of the experience.

There are some truly special slow moments that show perfectly what correlates between Ashley and Ellie, the crafting of moments of them getting into a photo booth while laughing, only to then shade away into them looking at each other for a moment, those are the kind of moments where you would love to be part of this experience.
    The ending was somehow disappointing, it wasn’t necessarily a bad ending, but it goes without saying that this ending make use of every cliche in the book, while The Last of Us had a perfect ending in my opinion. This game just never clarifies or gives closure to the relation between Ashley and Ellie.

The gameplay never forms part of the game, it feels pushed aside and gives a feeling of laziness. The first minutes you’re not going to be playing to the suspenseful, and dangerous game that you were used to play, it falls down to and spiral of absurd repetition, and oddly enough it happens in the awful, uninspiring section of Ellie sharing and empty care for Joel, it is almost like if each story was design by different people. The gameplay in the sections of Ellie and Ashley are beautiful, thoughtful, and extremely unique, even if they try to dumb down the game to plain simple interaction without any challenge whatsoever, it always feel fresh, and meaningful.

It is insulting that someone in the development team decided to create a parallel storyline along side the beauty that it was Ellie’s and Ashley’s story, this game should have focus entirely in them and forgotten completely about an irrelevant “plot hole” of the game main’s storyline, that could’ve be easily filled with the mind of the player.
  90. May 19, 2016
    The best DLC ever made. If you you're a rah-rah-pow-pow shoot'em up type of person, then this DLC isn't for you. If, however, you absolutely love the universe created in The Last of Us and you value narrative and dialogue above all-else, you will get a bite-sized game that is polished on par with the original game. A truly fantastic prequel to TLOU that gives great insight into Ellie as aThe best DLC ever made. If you you're a rah-rah-pow-pow shoot'em up type of person, then this DLC isn't for you. If, however, you absolutely love the universe created in The Last of Us and you value narrative and dialogue above all-else, you will get a bite-sized game that is polished on par with the original game. A truly fantastic prequel to TLOU that gives great insight into Ellie as a character and her life before meeting Joel. Also, you'll notice that almost all the negative reviews that exist for this game can't help but mention "that scene." It's clear that bigotry has motivated some angry reactions from some people. Don't let that be you. Play the game, pay attention to what it's trying to tell you and enjoy it. It's fantastic. Expand
  91. Apr 12, 2016
    Didn't like the main game too much, but this part i just simply love it,now i see why everybody loves Ellie, i know there's a section on the main game for her but i wanted more, and this is it.
  92. Feb 16, 2015
    Last of us DLC Left Behind is True Survivor Horror Game unlike Resident Evil 4 Resident Evil 5 Resident Evil 6 Resident Evil Revelations Resident Evil Revelations 2 Combine.
    If you liked Survivor Horror Game buy Last of us Digital or New Sealed not Soulless Used.
    Please buy Real DLC Left Behind Filesize is over 2GB.

Please Avoid rest DLC since Rest are Pay to Unlock aka On Disc DLC.
  93. Mar 30, 2014
    The greatest piece of DLC I've ever played. LEFT BEHIND is a pure work of genius. It has all of the things that made THE LAST OF US one of the greatest game of all time. Whereas the prologue for the game focused more on Joel and his journey with Ellie. LEFT BEHIND shows you Ellie's life right before the beginning of THE LAST OF US. The story of Left Behind is masterfully written, givingThe greatest piece of DLC I've ever played. LEFT BEHIND is a pure work of genius. It has all of the things that made THE LAST OF US one of the greatest game of all time. Whereas the prologue for the game focused more on Joel and his journey with Ellie. LEFT BEHIND shows you Ellie's life right before the beginning of THE LAST OF US. The story of Left Behind is masterfully written, giving more insight to Ellie's relationship with Riley, as well as showing you the unforgiving world of post-apocalyptic USA, one more time. The combat introduces Infected and humans in the same area, with you right in the middle. You can use the Infected to get the humans or use stealth to sneak past all of them. LEFT BEHIND is the new high point for DLC. It's worth nearly more than it's price and it's a definite must buy for fans. Expand
  94. Feb 27, 2019
    Serving as a prequel to The Last of Us, (and a sequel to the Last of Us: American Dreams comics), you get to meet Riley for the first time, in-game, and are taken on a short (but powerful) journey of heart that emphasizes exploration, and if taken at a leisurely and appreciative pace, could be unlike anything you've ever experienced in the realm of gaming to date.

Note: The head writer

Note: The head writer of Last of Us himself, Neil Druckmann heavily recommends that you read the prequel comics first (as do I), as they're official storyline, and they tell the story of how Ellie first meets Riley, which occurs before the story within this DLC, and sets the stage for a great deal of what occurs within it. ALSO, do NOT play this DLC before having completed the core campaign of The Last of Us, or else several major plot points will be tainted for you.
  95. Jun 6, 2014
    This was a great DLC I don't know what else to say without spoiling, it fills on some missing parts and introduces Ellie's background story I wasn't at all disappointed.
  96. Nov 15, 2018
    A Masterpiece, loved everything about this game, it is definitely a must play!
  97. Dec 9, 2019
    Отличный спин-офф от оригинальной игры
    Графика 10/10
    Сюжет 8/10
    Музыка 10/10
    Тех часть 10/10
    Персонажи 10/10
  98. Feb 5, 2020
    Left Behind is the perfect addition to the main game, using the same mechanics. What it adds is another proof of the developers' capability of highly intense, mature and emotional storytelling, filling in a few plot holes from the main game and providing the fans with the both uplifting and sad backstory of the beloved character Ellie. Just one advice to the players: Don't leave theLeft Behind is the perfect addition to the main game, using the same mechanics. What it adds is another proof of the developers' capability of highly intense, mature and emotional storytelling, filling in a few plot holes from the main game and providing the fans with the both uplifting and sad backstory of the beloved character Ellie. Just one advice to the players: Don't leave the Halloween costume store too early if you don't want to miss one of the most empathically crafted pieces of character building ever put into a videogame. Expand
  99. Feb 18, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. as much as an expansion on the original title was very desired ever since it dropped, Left Behind doesn't feel like a rip-off or a forced new installment, it feels natural and flows well. its length may be the only thing one could object, but at the end of the day, it was just a DLC. even when being aware of the backlash that having an LGBTQ+ lead character may come with - as showcased by various user reviews - the game smoothly introduces us to a new, deeper level of Ellie's life, and we finally get to understand why she is who she is, the stories and experiences that forged her. it's definitely a good step towards the future of the saga. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 69 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Jun 28, 2014
    There’s a scene in Left Behind proving that Naughty Dog not only has ambition to elevate games to the rank of art form, but simply does it. [05/2014, p.64]
  2. Games Master UK
    Apr 7, 2014
    A fantastic way to extend an already brilliant narrative, and made with a hugely engaging structure. [May 2014, p.69]
  3. Play UK
    Apr 6, 2014
    It's short - perhaps a little too short for the price - but Left Behind exhibits the same exceptional quality that made The Last of Us one of PS3's finest. [Issue#242, p.56]