7.7

Buy Now
Buy on

1. May 8, 2017
    In short: ABZU is a very pretty game that, despite the simplistic and repetitive gameplay, was worth the free PSN download and 2.5 hours of my time.

Things I LIKED about the game: First of all, this game is beautiful. Seriously, the art direction gets a big two thumbs up. The soundtrack melds with the visuals very well and it created some gorgeous moments. I also appreciated the

Things I LIKED about the game:
    First of all, this game is beautiful. Seriously, the art direction gets a big two thumbs up. The soundtrack melds with the visuals very well and it created some gorgeous moments. I also appreciated the inclusion of the meditation mechanic. It's nice to see that the developers gave the players another way to enjoy the art they created, even if it's rather difficult to focus on a specific fish.

Things I felt MEH about:
    I don't have any complaints about the controls, even if it takes some getting used to. I was never distracted or frustrated about them. I went back and forth trying to decide whether or not I liked the weird, ambiguous story ABZU tries to tell. In my opinion, the story feels like a bizarre version of Flower. There were definitely some heavy-handed parts that made me roll my eyes, but I wasn't playing ABZU for its story anyway. Also, the game is rather short. I took my time, and I was still done with the game in less than three hours. It didn't bother me though, I think I was done with the game at that point (Journey wasn't much longer, and I didn't mind it either). The addition of collectibles was a nice thought to please the explorers and completionists, but there was no way to know how many you collected. On top of that, there was no benefit to the player at all for collecting them, just a random trophy. Nice idea, just incomplete.

Things I DID NOT LIKE about the game: My biggest problem with the game, however, was how repetitive and formulaic the game felt. By about halfway through my playthrough, I could pretty accurately predict what kind of scene would come up next. But the worst was the handful of the same exact kind of dumb, not really puzzle that just forced you to spend a little more time in a certain area.

All in all, this is a game for those who enjoy video games as art. While it isn't executed as perfectly as the other two games I mentioned in the review, I still enjoyed the game just fine. With more creative and dynamic scenes and pacing, this would be up there with Journey. It's good, but I wouldn't call it great.
  2. Aug 14, 2016
    Abzu is a beautiful game with a great soundtrack that gives you the impression of scuba diving, without the tank and breathing apparatus. The developers also made good on the overall atmosphere of the game: diverse aquatic wildlife and vibrant colors. They also nailed the fluidity in the players movement, with smooth and responsive controls. All these factors actually culminated into aAbzu is a beautiful game with a great soundtrack that gives you the impression of scuba diving, without the tank and breathing apparatus. The developers also made good on the overall atmosphere of the game: diverse aquatic wildlife and vibrant colors. They also nailed the fluidity in the players movement, with smooth and responsive controls. All these factors actually culminated into a relaxing experience for me, which was deeply satisfying within itself. But, I was looking for something more. I wanted a game that was more narrative driven and without annoying amounts mystery.

Abzu's plot is just too ambiguous. It didn't give enough gravity to the game. I can completely understand the style the developers implemented, because it made sense in Journey, but Journey wasn't to the point of borderline confusion. Its metaphor clear, but not too obvious. Abzu on the other hand was catch-catch-can with its message and wasn't completely clear to me until the second play-through, and that to me hampered the experience. Getting behind the plot shouldn't take a new game, its message to me becomes less potent. The writers were just too liberal with ambiguity.

But to summarize on the positive, the game is unique; its mechanics and graphics are artfully crafted; the amount of effort and time sunk into Abzu is obvious. I enjoyed my time with the game, and for what it's worth I'd purchase it again. GiantSquid Studios could of had a comprehensive title that would of easily been liable for game of the year. I know the developers needed ambiguity to preserve their metaphor, but not to the point of weakening the context of your objective within the game.

If you want a game that is eye candy this definitely the game for you. If you want a game that touches upon all the points of mainstream, comprehensive entertainment purchase at your own discretion.
  3. Feb 19, 2017
    There just isn't much here. It is pretty, but THIS IS NOT ON THE LEVEL WITH JOURNEY. Journey was emotional and moving, and this is not. This is from the art director of Journey, so the game is stunning. I don't regret playing it, but I certainly wouldn't play it again. Get it in a bundle or for a dollar. I'm only recommending for a dollar or two.
  4. Jan 31, 2017
    A peaceful scuba simulator
    Abzu comes from the mind behind the art direction in flower and journey and it shows… This game very much follows the same structure of those games for better or worse. Here you play as a mechanical diver… Because of this you have no gauges to keep an eye on or air to worry about... The burden or survival is completely lifted off of your back you just
    A peaceful scuba simulator
    Here you play as a mechanical diver…
    Because of this you have no gauges to keep an eye on or air to worry about...
    The burden or survival is completely lifted off of your back
    you just swim and explore...
    Its starts as such a nice calming adventure breathing life into the ocean bed
    swimming with the predators and prey with no care at all…
    Noticing little subtleties and reactions of the oceans inhabitants that really bring the ocean world to life…
    You can even grab onto the larger creatures and go for a ride...
    You feel as one while you swim forward exploring new environments…
    But much like flower there’s a turn for the worse as you slowly inch towards the finish line of this 2 hour game…
    Abzu goes from being a peaceful experience to being a bit of a typical stressful adventure game…
    You can’t die here.. But what starts as a peaceful swim and escape from reality turns into a throw switches, pull chains and avoid unpleasant mines while you do so…
    Time to relax is over…
    Now you have problems to solve...
    This is the majority of the final stretch of the game and it kind of ruins the initial feel this game has…
    Enjoyment is just a memory as you’re swimming through forgotten ruins that should’ve stayed forgotten
    or at the very least should’ve been briefly visited rather than turning into something to deal with because video games…
    It’s unfortunate…
    But this is still a pretty cool experience that offers a great feeling of exploration…
    Even during the final moments that I didn’t like..
    I give Abzu
    a 7.5/10
  5. Aug 8, 2016
    The artístic concept really needs to be congratulated on Abzu.It is the core essence and it is a very beautiful game.
    But if you are done with this kind of gameplay from previous games of similar content found on psn, Abzu is not gonna change your mind. If i could pass on this one, I would. I am done with this kind of game.
  6. Aug 11, 2016
    I really wanted to love this game, but it left me disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful game with grate music, but it did not have the magic i expected after playing Journey.

The controls felt fidgety and i could never get used to the tree step boost. It never felt as free and seamless as zooming over sand and carpets. The sense of scale was also off. Because of the cell

The sense of scale was also off. Because of the cell shading, I could never understand how small or big something was compared to the avatar and was often confused of the perspective. This game would probably benefit with a 3D or VR perspective.

Why they omitted the random online element, that was so revolutionary in journey, is kinda strange. The personal story you created with others in Journey was so magical. The attempt of a story in ABZU was less impactful when the "other part" (trying not to spoil) felt less personal and contrived.

I know it's not fair to compare it to a previous title, it's not even made by the same studio. But so many other elements were so familiar, that this felt more like an attempt at a "spiritual" successor to Journey then something new.

The reason for this is because It is development by video game studio "Giant Squid", founded by Flower and Journey art director Matt Nava. Lead designer on Journey Nicholas Clark was also a consultant on ABZU and of course Music composer is Austin Wintory who also made the award winning music for journey.

So i can't help comparing the two... It's still a god game, but its not a great game like Journey. .

I still play Journey annually, and think i will continue to do so. Don't think this game will get the same treatment.
  7. Mar 6, 2017
    It's a beautiful game, but holds on to Journey mechanics too much. It plays like a more relaxing Journey, as evident by the meditation areas. If you like Journey it's worth considering on a sale. Otherwise don't pick it up.
  8. Aug 13, 2016
    A tweet from Rami Ismail, a game developer, expressed exactly what I think about this game in short: "Abzû is lovely, but mostly it emphasises just how exceptional Journey was. Half a decade later & the best anyone's achieved is "close".

That can seem be a bit harsh as someone who did like playing the game, but I have to agree with it. If you remember the really beautiful moment of releasing the whale-like creature in the Tower in Journey? I'd say that ABZÛ is kind of like that but on repeat. I would score it as a 7.5 shading to 8 for the obvious passionate amount of effort poured into creating it. At it's best ABZÛ is full of wonderful colours, shades, creatures and underwater structures with a luscious score to boot; a dream of an idealised undersea world. At it's worst; it's a faint echo of what Journey achieved because by bringing together two of the people who were so important to the look and emotional feel of it, Matt Nava and Austin Wintory, you can't escape the direct comparisons.

I wanted to like this a lot but I kept running into things that just didn't work for me. The story narrative is not strong or engaging, and somewhat confusing, as, like in Journey, it is displayed via visual storytelling with an Ancient Egyptian theme. It takes almost to the end of the game to get any dramatic narrative action going on. Although there are a couple of quite moving moments, it was all a bit late by then to make a connection. The environments are gorgeous to look at, but it didn't take long to realise most of them are somewhat small and cramped and you're restricted in what is explorable.

Swimming with various schools of fish and larger mammals could be really touching and relaxing too, the fish swimming or some acrobatics with your pod friends was often the best part. Or would've been if I hadn't loathed the controls. Clunky, slow to respond and the camera angles were seriously limiting. What should've been graceful movements too frequently were just a wrestle to get the camera to point forward.

I wasn't expecting to be completely blown away by ABZÛ but I wish I could like it more than I did. Austin Wintory's score is fantastic though!
  9. Jul 8, 2017
    Playing through the two hours and twenty minutes of Abzu's "story" reminded me a lot of the movie Fantasia, a movie that is not very traditional at all, and is more of a moving painting, and is more about putting the right images to the music than telling a story. In that way, Abzu is an interactive painting, and is more about appreciating what it shows than about a story or the gameplay.Playing through the two hours and twenty minutes of Abzu's "story" reminded me a lot of the movie Fantasia, a movie that is not very traditional at all, and is more of a moving painting, and is more about putting the right images to the music than telling a story. In that way, Abzu is an interactive painting, and is more about appreciating what it shows than about a story or the gameplay. In some ways, in a game that is not so cool because it leaves you as a gamer not feeling involved or interested for long. But if you like appreciating a piece of art just because of what it is, then Abzu showcases that games can be made to be appreciated like that with some of the most amazing pieces of graphics I have seen this side of Journey or the like, all complimented by another excellent score from Austin Wintory. Also added to this is the not so bad mechanics for swimming which is practically everything you do in the game. On its bad side, I can't say that the "story" it kind of sort of wants to present is that interesting, and that it doesn't have a lot of replay value. Nevertheless, I don't regret at all playing it, just for the time that I used to appreciate the incredibly colors, lights, sounds, and shapes that it presented. Can't recommend to everyone, because it is not exactly the type of game that anyone can like, but if you like this type of game, it is definitely worth checking out and diving in. Final verdict: 7.5 Expand
  10. Oct 30, 2017
    Story - Abzu is one of those games which the story is not narrated nor explained and it is your job to give your theory or opinion as to what is happening in the game. Regardless, the general consensus is that you look like a person (or a cyborg) which goal is to give life to the ocean and/or save its inhabitants (the fishes). In my opinion, the main goal of its story is to show symbolismStory - Abzu is one of those games which the story is not narrated nor explained and it is your job to give your theory or opinion as to what is happening in the game. Regardless, the general consensus is that you look like a person (or a cyborg) which goal is to give life to the ocean and/or save its inhabitants (the fishes). In my opinion, the main goal of its story is to show symbolism on how beautiful and how should we keep our oceans and inhabitants safe from pollution and danger. Still though, It is still engrossing and executed beautifully. A score of 9/10 for me.

Gameplay - This aspect of the game was underwhelming for me. The gameplay is pretty much generic, you will swim and explore to different areas in the game and can communicate with those small robot things to help you get to the next area. It doesnt have the same unique and awesome gameplay Journey has for me. and lacks a multiplayer system which could have added replayability in the game. It also hurts that it is a much shorter game that its classic predecessor. Thus, a score of 4/10 for me.

Graphics - Now this is where the game shines as well as the forte of its developers. Its beautiful scenery and theme is top notched that you could just relax while looking at its colorful, pretty, polished environments as well as its masterpieve level of lighting. It is perfectly performed. However, the same could not be said to the character designs and fish designs. all are pretty generic, however, there is a plus side that there are like hundreds of aquatic specie that you will encounter with varying size. designs colors and behaviors. It is awesome, a great score of 9/10.

Sound/Music - Another strength of the game. Since there are no voice in game we will be focusing on the sounds. and its great! It accurately did the sound of moving water when you dive and swim fast. Lets not forget its awesome music which plays differently in each of the stages. From epic to beautiful to intense to bittersweet, it is a great medley of different and great musice. A sure 10/10.

Fun factor - I loved this game so much but hated how it is too short. The scenery are in the same beauty as Journey and despite a short ride, I got a memorable and great experience exploring every nook and cranny in the game. One of the best Indie on the year it released. A great score of 9/10

Average - 8.2
  11. May 8, 2021
    Nothing near Journey to be honest. It feels like you fell into the fish tank in the museum of your Animal Crossing island, with some explosive machinery as a bonus. Did not give me the oceanic feeling it sells.
  12. Apr 9, 2021
    While I enjoyed Journey, ABZU just doesn't do it for me. I liked some of the visuals and I specially liked the final level but bland gameplay, bad controls, a 2-hour game time and an uninspired plot make this a slog to get through.
  13. May 25, 2021
    приятный релакс на один вечерок, созерцание и медитация.
  14. Aug 3, 2016
    Abzu has been a game I have had my eye on since it's announcement a few E3's ago and I couldn't wait to explore such a beautiful world. Sadly, there isn't much to find other than stunning vistas and unique art style. There isn't really anything to do other than swim using very clunky controls that I never got used to. Abzu fails at everything that made Journey so good, and it's a shameAbzu has been a game I have had my eye on since it's announcement a few E3's ago and I couldn't wait to explore such a beautiful world. Sadly, there isn't much to find other than stunning vistas and unique art style. There isn't really anything to do other than swim using very clunky controls that I never got used to. Abzu fails at everything that made Journey so good, and it's a shame considering the fantastic look of the game. Expand
  15. Aug 11, 2016
    Well if the art director wanted people to experience what he did when he went diving then WHAT THE HELL DID HE FIND DOWN THERE!. But seriously this game is an artsy fartsy kind of game its not a deep kind of game at all. you just swim about and say look at that fish, look at coral which yes the art style is very good but that's it i want more from a GAME!. Not a flipping (no pun intended)Well if the art director wanted people to experience what he did when he went diving then WHAT THE HELL DID HE FIND DOWN THERE!. But seriously this game is an artsy fartsy kind of game its not a deep kind of game at all. you just swim about and say look at that fish, look at coral which yes the art style is very good but that's it i want more from a GAME!. Not a flipping (no pun intended) swimming simulator its not a game I'd rather watch finding nemo which is just about as long and has a hell of a lot more replay value. If i want a relaxing game I'll go and play Grow home which has gameplay Expand
  16. Aug 2, 2016
    It's like Journey but under water...and not as good...and slightly boring...and short....I was expecting something a little bit more productive. Sometimes the game feels a little bit...cheap.
  17. Aug 2, 2016
    Honestly, pretty meh. Sure it's beautiful and has some great music, but what bothers me is that it's Too much like Journey. In fact, it's a re-imagining of Journey, but under water, and that doesn't warrant a new buy for this game.

If you haven't played Journey, get it. It's the better "relaxing non-game experience with great music and visuals". The two are basically comparable, but Journey is definitely better in my opinion.

If you had Journey, don't expect anything new, because there really isn't anything. Well, there's that One enemy that explodes and doesn't hurt you if get too close, but that's a step down of the looming "search" enemy from Journey.

My 6/10 is set from a Journey owner's perspective. It might've been a 7.5 or even 8 without it.
  18. Jun 9, 2017
    Abzû has wonders after wonders but with no depth in presentation & nothing worth exploring. It's an audio & visual tourist treat without the soul of what made Journey great.
  19. Aug 4, 2016
    Probably the most overpriced game ever sold. This is a $4.99 game selling for 19.99 at the PS Store. The game is fine, as the reviews say, but they are capitalizing on the success of Journey for this price at 2 hrs of play time.
  20. Mar 3, 2017
    Another Walking Simulator, Except Swimming.
    Another Walking Simulator, Except Swimming.
    Another walking simulator with a vague and presumptuous quasi-spiritual message. This one with dodgy (flight) controls and horrible music. Considering it strives for environmental immersion, you would think adding a music-volume slider-control would have been on the to-do list. Also, it's very short and way over priced. This is a $5 to $7 USD game at most.
  21. Jul 30, 2019
    This "game", if you could even call it a game, is dead boring.

The best way to describe Abzu is that it's a visit to an aquarium where there are no exhibit descriptions. Abzu does not come anywhere close to being as beautiful or enjoyable either of its spiritual predecessors, Journey & Flower. Visually and aurally, it's almost as good as Journey. It has a beautiful soundtrack and
    This "game", if you could even call it a game, is dead boring.

Visually and aurally, it's almost as good as Journey. It has a beautiful soundtrack and looks aesthetically pleasing, which isn't surprising it uses the same composer and art director.

However, gameplay is completely dead. There is simply no gameplay. You're just swimming around in a giant aquarium going from point A to B to C ...

The story is also nowhere close to the story of Journey, which can potentially be a really sad tale (depending on who you meet), especially you realize the giant twist at the end. Even Flower, which barely focused on story, had a more absorbing plot-line than Abzu.
  22. Aug 2, 2016
    It might not live up to the masterpiece that was Journey.
    But damn this is still one great, beautiful crafted game.
    For any Journey fan this game is a no brainer go pick it up now.
  23. Aug 2, 2016
    Abzu is excellent in every way that really matters. The art direction is near-flawless, the score is fantastic, the controls are wonderfully fluid (when's the last time you actually enjoyed swimming in a game?), and it's just the right length at roughly 2.5 hours if you're not rushing through.
    It's very Journey, which is the obvious comparison, but I was impressed by how Abzu doesn't end up aping Thatgamecompany's epic quite as extensively as one might imagine. Of course there are tons of similarities (I mean it has the same art director and composer) but Abzu is ultimately its own entity. Highly, HIGHLY recommended!
  24. May 4, 2017
    This game has beautiful visuals and music that go great together. The gameplay is very simple and matches well with the theme of the game. I haven't played a game like this that invokes such a calm and relaxing feeling for a long time. Even though, the game isn't very long, by the end of it, you really feel like you've gone on a journey. Surprisingly, this was one of the most enjoyableThis game has beautiful visuals and music that go great together. The gameplay is very simple and matches well with the theme of the game. I haven't played a game like this that invokes such a calm and relaxing feeling for a long time. Even though, the game isn't very long, by the end of it, you really feel like you've gone on a journey. Surprisingly, this was one of the most enjoyable experiences I had with a video game in awhile. Expand
  25. Sep 16, 2016
    If you're not a fan of small, artistic experiences in games then Abzu isn't for you. If you're not drawn to a game because of it's art or musical direction then again Abzu isn't for you. However, if you're captivated by artistic visuals and beautiful musical scores then Abzu is most certainly for you.

Abzu's combination of visuals and music is sublime. The score feels dynamic, seamless and its ambient presence fits the aesthetically gorgeous ocean setting perfectly.

Control wise, Abzu has some of the most satisfying swimming controls I've seen. Swimming feels simple, seamless and handles incredibly well. Once you master the controls, exploring the environments feels incredibly satisfying.

The narrative arc of the game is minimalist. You essentially have to figure out the story for yourself, and it's definitely open to interpretation. But for me, this made my experience with the game feel personal, spiritual, and at times breathtaking.

If you enjoyed Journey, you'll love Abzu.
  26. Sep 1, 2016
    Un juego precioso, no entiendo como hay gente que le da una baja puntuacion. Es relajante y bello, vale su precio en oro, estoy muy contento con esta compra.
  27. Aug 21, 2016
    Another masterpiece from the duo Matt Nava and Austin Wintory. If you loved Journey and expect a spiritual sequel of it, you have just found it here. Gorgeous design and music and a relaxing gameplay.

The only subtle drawback is that the story lacks the depth of Journey, there is no such sense of "coherent wholeness", a metaphor of something bigger than the simple story you follow. Specifically, I missed the story behind the civilization that left the ruins you explore. In Journey you meet other beings, in Abzu you just explore and don't meet anyone.

Despite this, I strongly recommend Abzu. Well spent money and a team of creative people that we really expect to get more games from in future.
  28. Oct 12, 2016
    Great little game, but by no means perfect. Could have been an amazing game if the controls were more fluid (pardon the pun). Visually it's very nice, and it does provide a nice relaxing experience, but I definitely feel it could have been better if the swimming animation and controls were a bit smoother. It's still a good game though. 7.5 out of 10
  29. Jun 23, 2017
    fun, relaxing, beautiful looking game. took me about 2 hours to complete. If your looking to sit back and relax on a fun under sea adventure this is it. I got this for free on ps+.
  30. Nov 11, 2017
    Relaxing, beautiful, and uplifting. Its not the usual game experience, so I want to be clear that this is a 9 for me. I can see how a lot of people would not necessarily find this game appealing. However, if you're looking for a game that is just kind of beautiful and relaxing to play then give it a try. I think this sort of "Interactive Painting" game really has a niche place in the industry.
  31. Aug 2, 2016
    This game is beautiful and emotional by using simple actions and colors to evoke emotion. Not as thought provoking as journey, but tells a very cryptic message about life and beauty.
  32. Aug 2, 2016
    There are plenty of "wow" moments and for those who were fans of journey's art style the visuals will blow you away. The puzzle challanges are pretty self explanatory which was the only let down for me.
    I recommend this game however the simplicity of the gameplay won't be to everyones liking.
  33. Aug 9, 2016
    Gets very boring soon plus uses Denuvo Protection. Game Dev's please, invest more Time into your fcking Game than DRM....Is that really so much to ask for?
  34. Aug 2, 2016
    A combination of Endless Ocean and Journey. A wonderful game and incredibly beautiful. When you are swimming with literally hundreds of different kinds of fish at once it is like nothing ever. Completely breathtaking.
  35. Aug 14, 2016
    Gorgeous graphics and music, but...not much of a game. Not much of a story, either. And it's only 2-3 hours long. Whether or not you will replay it depends on how much you enjoyed the aesthetics and the immersion, because that's what this experience is really all about--being at the bottom of the ocean and swimming with all the pretty fishies, all the while listening to a beautifulGorgeous graphics and music, but...not much of a game. Not much of a story, either. And it's only 2-3 hours long. Whether or not you will replay it depends on how much you enjoyed the aesthetics and the immersion, because that's what this experience is really all about--being at the bottom of the ocean and swimming with all the pretty fishies, all the while listening to a beautiful soundtrack reminiscent of the work of Eric Whitacre and Samuel Barber.

The game borrows so much from Journey and certainly looks the part (same art director), but the gameplay isn't quite as interesting, and there's no multiplayer component. You won't suddenly happen upon another player whom you can share the experience with, which really helped make Journey the special and memorable experience that it was. You also won't be engaging your brain much to solve the few "puzzles" there are, which really can't qualify as puzzles. You're pretty much guided through the whole thing.

Still, I enjoyed it, especially the final moments. Like Journey, it's simple to pick up and play, so maybe this will be the game you can play with your children or grandma or something.
  36. Aug 2, 2016
    Absolutely breathtaking. That was one of the most enjoyable video game experiences I've had in quite some time. No, you can't die, it's not difficult, there's no assault rifles, and no dungeons. But it's an amazing experience and it will take you away to another place entirely. I found myself smiling from ear to ear many moments during the 3 to 4 hours of gameplay. I highly recommendAbsolutely breathtaking. That was one of the most enjoyable video game experiences I've had in quite some time. No, you can't die, it's not difficult, there's no assault rifles, and no dungeons. But it's an amazing experience and it will take you away to another place entirely. I found myself smiling from ear to ear many moments during the 3 to 4 hours of gameplay. I highly recommend this game/experience, Expand
  37. May 28, 2017
    While it's essentially an underwater version of the superior 2012 game Journey, ABZÛ is a strikingly beautiful game and a joy to play – making it a success.
  38. Jun 1, 2017
    Abzu is a linear story driven game that has a very simple premise but is filled with a lot of heart. Take the game Journey and put it under water, and you have Abzu. While it takes a lot of inspiration from Journey (sharing some of the same developers and composer) it still manages to be its on game with its own unique quality. Specifically, one of the key relationships that develops overAbzu is a linear story driven game that has a very simple premise but is filled with a lot of heart. Take the game Journey and put it under water, and you have Abzu. While it takes a lot of inspiration from Journey (sharing some of the same developers and composer) it still manages to be its on game with its own unique quality. Specifically, one of the key relationships that develops over the story really helps Abzu be interesting and memorable. Overall; the game has great music, art design, and a touching story that everyone can appreciate. Expand
  39. Feb 26, 2017
    Una aventura un poca corta, pero hermosa. La banda sonora, la exploracion y el nivel artistico te enganchan desde el primer momento. De los creadores de Journey, nada mas que decir.
  40. Aug 2, 2016
    A very beautiful game. Even though there might be little actual gameplay, it's so marvelous to look at. The fish move so graciously in the water and so does the sea weed. Although it did not have the same emotional impact that Journey gave me it sure did astound me with the visuals. There are even a couple of sections in the game that are exactly like Journey, although that isn'tA very beautiful game. Even though there might be little actual gameplay, it's so marvelous to look at. The fish move so graciously in the water and so does the sea weed. Although it did not have the same emotional impact that Journey gave me it sure did astound me with the visuals. There are even a couple of sections in the game that are exactly like Journey, although that isn't necessarily a bad thing as it brought me back memories. So to summarize:

Amazing Visuals/Score
    Little Gameplay
    Visuals are amazing (Did I say that already?)

If you like Journey then you will definitely like this.
  41. Aug 9, 2016
    If you aren't entranced by mechanically shallow games like Journey, don't bother. But if you find exploration titles even marginally interesting, Abzu is an absolute must-play – it's the most majestic one yet
  42. Jun 15, 2019
    ABZU is a short and sweet game where you take control of an unnamed scuba diver and swim through the ocean. The game doesn't spell out the story at all to the player, though it appears to be about evil machines trying to pollute the ocean and the player must stop them from doing so. The graphics are similar to Zelda: Windwaker and make every location in the game easy on the eyes. TheABZU is a short and sweet game where you take control of an unnamed scuba diver and swim through the ocean. The game doesn't spell out the story at all to the player, though it appears to be about evil machines trying to pollute the ocean and the player must stop them from doing so. The graphics are similar to Zelda: Windwaker and make every location in the game easy on the eyes. The accompanying soundtrack during gameplay works well, making you feel dread in one area and immediately help you calm down and relax in the next area. The gameplay is decent enough. You swim around, perform backflips in mid air and ride fish larger than yourself. The controls of the game are good, though it was annoying moving in directions I did not want to move in, and the boost. You must also activate robot helpers in order to progress, which is easy, since the robots can found by looking around for a bit. The robots don't do much and simply act as keys to doors blocking your progress. You can also collect sea shells, activate hidden water pools which unleash new aquatic life intothe area, and meditate on specific statue, allowing you to observe the creatures around you and letting you choose which fish you want to observe. The game took me around three four hours to finish all it had to offer. Overall, ABZU is a good experience that will stick with you. Though there is not much to do, the graphics, music and short length of the game make up for it. Expand
  43. Aug 5, 2016
    I have to say, Abzu might be might pick for GOTY, at the very least in the indie development category. There are many who argue that true art, in any form, is only art because it remains unexplained by the artist. Abzu is true art in that sense. Sure, there is a story told here, but I sincerely hope the developer does not elaborate on their inspiration, because it is the kind of story thatI have to say, Abzu might be might pick for GOTY, at the very least in the indie development category. There are many who argue that true art, in any form, is only art because it remains unexplained by the artist. Abzu is true art in that sense. Sure, there is a story told here, but I sincerely hope the developer does not elaborate on their inspiration, because it is the kind of story that will mean different things to different people.

It definitely draws inspiration through Journey (same art studio, same orchestra) but even takes a little from more retro titles like Treasures of the Deep and Echo the Dolphin. Movement is VERY fluent, although the camera struggles to keep up sometimes. Mostly what will have you gasping and coming back are the music and art.

Combined they make for some of the most amazing set-pieces I have ever seen in gaming, and I'd be lying if I didn't say a couple of them nearly moved me to tears. If you care at all about the artistic value of video games, do NOT pass up Abzu. An incredible award/praise worthy effort from Giant Squid, with very few complaints (mostly centering on some incongruities with fish anatomy/migration) that most people won't even notice.

Simply perfect, 10/10.
  44. Aug 2, 2016
    I wanted to write a review of ABZU that wouldn't end up comparing it with Flow, Flower or Journey. I wanted to talk about how the game stands on it's own merits.... but.... I just couldn't. The game is great, pretty much what I was expecting, but it is essentially just these three games squashed into one package. A beautiful and artistic audio visual package to be sure, but not an originalI wanted to write a review of ABZU that wouldn't end up comparing it with Flow, Flower or Journey. I wanted to talk about how the game stands on it's own merits.... but.... I just couldn't. The game is great, pretty much what I was expecting, but it is essentially just these three games squashed into one package. A beautiful and artistic audio visual package to be sure, but not an original one. Which begs the question "why not just play Flow, Flower and Journey"? Ultimately it's a lack of original ideas that takes the shine off what is an otherwise pleasant experience.

ABZU is not a massively lengthy game either, but It does have replay value in the form of secrets to find. However, I'm betting most people will grab them all on their second play through. I feel the price at launch is reasonable enough, but I did get a small discount for pre-ordering. (Don't pre-order games it's a stupid thing to do)!

Grab this game if you're a fan of Flow, Flower or Journey, or if you're looking for a good "relax em up" to help get you through FPS fatigue. Also if you have some weird fish fetish.... freak show XD
  45. Aug 3, 2016
    I've been playing games at a moderate level for over 25 years now, so I have some authority to speak on the topic like many of us I'm sure. This game kind of transcends the medium, I believe. It's not a game, not in the traditional sense anyway. It's more of an experience simulator. One with gorgeous visuals, a sublime soundtrack and one of the most smooth and elegant control schemesI've been playing games at a moderate level for over 25 years now, so I have some authority to speak on the topic like many of us I'm sure. This game kind of transcends the medium, I believe. It's not a game, not in the traditional sense anyway. It's more of an experience simulator. One with gorgeous visuals, a sublime soundtrack and one of the most smooth and elegant control schemes I've encountered. It's a mechanically simple and direct setup, without the need to explain anything via menus or on screen text. In fact, there no HUD item of any kind, no map or marks, not even a health bar. You can't die or really get "hurt". You don't know where this world comes from or what it means. It's an undersea dream world though. That's the beauty of this type of media at this level, that you can bring your own experiences and emotions away from it. For PS+ users it's only $16. At just 3-4 hours of general playtime I still believe it's worth every penny of that. Another advantage it has going for it is that literally almost anyone capable of moving a joystick and holding a button down could play this and get something out of it. Only negative I could mark on it would be it's shortness, but again for the price it was worth more than that. I definitely wanted to see more creatures and see how far I would go down the rabbit hole. I also want to praise the graphics and art direction more specifically. There is a great balance between realism and game world here. In that I mean it's not trying to portray a true ecological version of the sea, but the aesthetic is very much intact. Replayability, yeah you could definitely play through this a second time and probably find some of the items you missed on the first run. It is a fairly linear game in that you're moving from one clearly definable area (sometimes smaller and sometimes enormous) to another. Within these areas you have the general freedom to move wherever you like and explore off the beaten path, but there's always a very simple mechanic upon which to progress, so you can't really go around the level design in that way. If you care about this sort of thing, there's a pretty wide variety of sea life to be found and they're all rendered very well and glide through the water convincingly. The giant schools of smaller fish swarming in a cyclone is something to be seen. With the excellent ambient soundtrack to boot, I can't recommended this one enough. Even after you've put the controller down it will stay with you longer than most games these days.

TIP - the only menu setting is for the directional controls. I recommend trying out both normal and inverted on all three axes to find the right combination for you. Trust me, fool around with in the first level and tweak it to your preference, it'll be a better experience if you do this up front.
  46. Dec 27, 2016
    I've had my eye on Abzu since well before released, and finally decided to pick it up today due to the holiday sale price. I must say that it is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played, much like Journey and Flower. I'm still on my first playthrough but can't help to wonder how interested I will be in immediately playing through it a second time, as I'm sure the game won't lastI've had my eye on Abzu since well before released, and finally decided to pick it up today due to the holiday sale price. I must say that it is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played, much like Journey and Flower. I'm still on my first playthrough but can't help to wonder how interested I will be in immediately playing through it a second time, as I'm sure the game won't last more than two or three hours. Expand
  47. Aug 18, 2017
    Abzu is a Perfect 10. Keep in mind the kind of game it is. It is a spiritual successor to Journey. It is a "chill" game. It is also a tight experience that can be finished in one playthrough. For this genre, the game is absolutely doing everything right and I love it.

Abzu has some start differences from Journey which make it wonderful on its own. First and foremost is the underwater setting. The protagonist, Abzu?, can swim in all axis, ride along larger sea creatures, and interact with some parts of the environmental. Secondly but equally important, the water is full of many, many species of sea creatures. The interaction with the sea creatures is utterly beautiful, and you can watch the fish form schools as the bigger fish eat the smaller fish. The use of color, light, and design is well done, though it would be nice to have a hyper realistic version with VR support. Thirdly but also equally important, the music is jaw droppingly gorgeous. I bought the soundtrack. First time I have ever done that. This is how good the music is. Sometimes I just let Abzu float while I listened to the soundtrack.

I am fully aware that Abzu is a controversial title. There are folks who just plain don't like these kind of chill games. That's fine. There are also folks who will always compare Abzu to Journey. That's fine too. I also liked Journey for many of the same reasons I like Abzu. Although I think both groups are missing out on a great experience, this review stands on its own. I love Abzu, my kids love, and I look forward to playing through it again.

Full disclosure: I bought Abzu during the winter holidays at a discount only to later see it go free with PS Plus. Kudos to Sony for bringing this game to the masses. Ordinarily I am nonplussed when a game I buy goes free, but this is not the game's fault, so to speak. If you did pick up Abzu from PS Plus, do yourself a favor and give it a go.
  48. Aug 3, 2016
    Abzu is somewhat of an exploration game, similar to journey. Im gonna be comparing this game to journey quite a bit during this review, because of how similar it is and the fact that the art director of journey was the lead director of this game. If you don't know what journey is, simply keep in mind that I find it to be a near perfect game and is one the most emotional games I have everAbzu is somewhat of an exploration game, similar to journey. Im gonna be comparing this game to journey quite a bit during this review, because of how similar it is and the fact that the art director of journey was the lead director of this game. If you don't know what journey is, simply keep in mind that I find it to be a near perfect game and is one the most emotional games I have ever played. Is this game as good as journey? no, but it has a lot going for it still. The game is absolutely beautiful when it comes to its art design and game physics, possibly one of the most beautiful games I have ever played visual wise. The game mechanics work well but are way to simplistic and I wish they would have implemented more ways to make your way through the game instead of just swimming. The "puzzles" are way to simple as well, not that I expected the puzzles to really challenge me, but I did want them to be fun atleast, and they just weren't. The game didn't resonate with me as much as I hoped it would, infact when the game ended I felt like it was really missing something and was really disappointed, but after some reflection I think the game does a good job at making you feel a sense of awe and wonder and connection to the world of the game, but still fails to really leave a lasting impression. I might sound kind of negative towards this game, but I actually really enjoyed it while I was playing and was extremely immersed in the visuals and sound design of the game. I really enjoyed the mechanics and how they felt even if they were overly simplistic, and there definitely some emotional moments in the game, but it didn't leave me with anything to really remember by or take away from it besides it beautiful design, which was quite disappointing for a game that is so well made in almost every aspect. Journey had themes and messages that were very clear by the end of the game that were very impactful, and that's what made the game so great apart from is beautiful design, and I would say abzu is an even more beautiful game but has no impact in the end or at least a very underwhelming impact in my opinion, but I could see some people being very moved by this game and have a great love for it, and I hope that's the case for anyone else who plays it. I guess I simply couldn't get a clear picture of how I should be feeling or understanding of what this game was trying to be, and that could just be me not analyzing the game properly, but I did put a lot of thought into this game and really couldn't get much out of it as I wish I did. Expand
  49. Sep 3, 2016
    Let me just start off by saying that this game is visually stunning. I like the art style and the colors. If you have played Journey this game will feel familiar as a lot of gameplay elements are the same.

This game was a nice experience and I went and completed the game 100%, so it's nice enough to experience this game for about 2-3 times. Other than that this game doesn't really do

Other than that this game doesn't really do anything new and it doesn't have the feature like Journey where you go through the story together with a complete stranger with minimal ways to communicate. Which was if you ask me one of the unique features that made that game so great
  50. Aug 12, 2017
    From the same talented composer and art director of the amazing Journey comes Abzu, a great looking, nice sounding, short but very sweet experience. I'll say this right now: This game is very similar to Journey. And if you liked that game, it is almost certain that you will like this game too. It has most of the same great components that Journey espoused, which is definitely not a badFrom the same talented composer and art director of the amazing Journey comes Abzu, a great looking, nice sounding, short but very sweet experience. I'll say this right now: This game is very similar to Journey. And if you liked that game, it is almost certain that you will like this game too. It has most of the same great components that Journey espoused, which is definitely not a bad thing. And the story is quite a lot more easy to decipher than Journey's, which is also good. Overall, if you liked Journey, you will love this game. If you didn't, think twice before you give this game a shot. But I thought it was great. Expand
  51. Nel
    Jun 20, 2017
    Very simple artistic game, similar to journey. The game has wonderful music, and is very short. It does not have the best graphics, but the graphics are very artistically designed, other than a few camera problems here and there I really enjoyed the experience
  52. Jan 4, 2017
    En conclusión, una gran experiencia tanto en audio como en paisajes. Transmite muchísimo sin decir una palabra ni leer ningún texto en la breve pero intensa “campaña” del título.

¿Mejor que su predecesor Journey? Es injusto compararlos ya que, pese a ser juegos muy parecidos cada uno tiene sus diferencias. Y pese a que este no incluye la soberbia opción del cooperativo anónimo de Journey (que nos hacía vivir uno de los momentos más mágicos que serán creados nunca en los videojuegos), Abzû es un gran título y que no os dejará indiferentes.

Un “pasillo” lleno de maravillas acuáticas que nos hará querer estar allí aunque sea por un instante.
    Fans de la fauna marina, de Journey o de las experiencias breves en los que el apartado audiovisual cobra la mayor importancia, corred a comprarlo porque no os arrepentiréis.
  53. Aug 4, 2016
    An amazingly beautiful game with an incredible array of different species. The levels and habitats were brilliantly made with lots of fine details. Not to mention that the art is incredible too. Only complain is the lack of a story and the play time.
  54. Aug 14, 2016
    This game is pretty fairly rated. I think one thing is always important to consider when reading reviews about games like this. Whether you have expectations or not. If you are a journey fan, you will likely be satiated at best, very disappointed at worst. The game is attractive, it has a good sountrack and it can be fun at times to play. However, if you are expecting either journey or anThis game is pretty fairly rated. I think one thing is always important to consider when reading reviews about games like this. Whether you have expectations or not. If you are a journey fan, you will likely be satiated at best, very disappointed at worst. The game is attractive, it has a good sountrack and it can be fun at times to play. However, if you are expecting either journey or an original game you unfortunately get neither. It borrows heavily from journey without really matching the magic that journey produced. Its a fair price, however, and still a beautiful and enjoyable game. Just go in knowing what to expect and if it is worth it to you, I recommend it . Expand
  55. Aug 15, 2016
    I found this game to hit the brief on the head. Visually captivating, easy to learn controls, not particularly difficult (great for kids!). The sound design was perfect, the wildlife, water and soundtrack all set a perfect level of calm in the right places, and built tension without freaking you out in others.

The only failing of this game is that for the price on the PSN, its

The only failing of this game is that for the price on the PSN, its debilitatingly short-lived - i completed the entire thing with a self-enforced slow pace in just over three hours.

A plus, however, is that the "meditation" mode in the game is great for something pretty to look at while you go about your day.
  56. Aug 24, 2016
    A great indie game with a great amount of freedom as you gracefully attach yourself to one of the many various forms of underwater wildlife and dive above the surface of the ocean. Abzu is a journey of discovery and wonder. The levels are well designed in it's simplicity in detail. There will be those who compare it to Journey but Abzu is it's own game. The inverted controls can be trickyA great indie game with a great amount of freedom as you gracefully attach yourself to one of the many various forms of underwater wildlife and dive above the surface of the ocean. Abzu is a journey of discovery and wonder. The levels are well designed in it's simplicity in detail. There will be those who compare it to Journey but Abzu is it's own game. The inverted controls can be tricky to begin with but once you get used to them the movement is freeflowing and fluid. Essential indie purchase. Expand
  57. Oct 17, 2016
    Short, but wonderful. I loved journey, but went in knowing this was not going to be journey. The mechanics are ok, the swimming works it gets the job done. The music and the atmosphere is what kept me going. In the end I left Abzu just ok. I don't know what I was expecting or what I wanted, but the whole time I was wanting something new to happen just never did.
  58. Mar 2, 2017
    Though it is short, what Abzu does, it does very well. The exploration of the sea is handled with great care. With no plot, the scenery took on a meditative outlook. While some may deride the game for its "scuba simulator" gameplay, I applaud it for its calm tone and relaxing themes.
  59. Oct 21, 2017
    Very cool concept in a game, it's mostly about exploring the ocean and finding sea creatures. Love the music and the look of this game. A bit short but overall a great experience.
  60. Sep 29, 2017
    Abzu is a great game to have fun, it has nice graphics and a sweet soundtrack. It brings to an adventure on the ocean and you'll found a lot of fish species. I recommend this game, is a little short but is an awesome game !
  61. Feb 26, 2017
    This is more a relaxing meditative experience than a game. Beautiful underwater / ocean scenery and relaxing artistic experience. If you are looking for an action / shooting game; this isn't it.
  62. Apr 23, 2021
    Boring game with no content an bad graphics. Cant understand why to produce this game.
  63. Dec 29, 2018
    Abzu is a game that I never heard of until I started making a little list of indie games I'd like to play, and now that I've played it I can say for certain that it definitely deserves to be on everybody's little list of indie games to play. It doesn't offer a long experience, but it does offer an emotionally impactful experience through the beauty of its art design, intimate tale, andAbzu is a game that I never heard of until I started making a little list of indie games I'd like to play, and now that I've played it I can say for certain that it definitely deserves to be on everybody's little list of indie games to play. It doesn't offer a long experience, but it does offer an emotionally impactful experience through the beauty of its art design, intimate tale, and mesmerizing atmosphere. If you have Playstation Now, I say just start playing the game, you'll beat it in 90 minutes tops and will definitely not regret giving this game a try. Expand
  64. Aug 21, 2020
    First of all I can not imagine ANYONE paying 20 bucks for this 2 to 3 hour "game". Can't even call this a game. There is nothing really to do but go straight and "experience" stuff. But there is no message or experience. This rubbish is just trying to be artsy.

Horrible controls and camera angles. No plot. Decent music, but the graphics look like something you'd find on a screensaver.

Horrible controls and camera angles.
    No plot.
    Decent music, but the graphics look like something you'd find on a screensaver.
    Some points in the game you're actually required to get out of the water. I had no idea you could even do this and had to look it up. Thanks a lot for letting me know.
  65. Nov 1, 2019
    Abzu is a game we need more of. It handles slow, it doesn't have dialogue or cutscenes.. but what it does have, is an incredibly immersive opportunity for any gamer willing to let go and relax (the same way you do when swimming in order to float) that can be touching and carry a powerful message. Patience and the desire to read will get you the most out of this game, but due to it'sAbzu is a game we need more of. It handles slow, it doesn't have dialogue or cutscenes.. but what it does have, is an incredibly immersive opportunity for any gamer willing to let go and relax (the same way you do when swimming in order to float) that can be touching and carry a powerful message. Patience and the desire to read will get you the most out of this game, but due to it's simplicity (you can't die) it can also be enjoyed by gamers of all ages and skill levels. Let go, lay your head back and slowly kick your feet to a wonderful game about life below the water. Expand
  66. Nov 8, 2019
    This game is emotional.
    The graphic and the colours are incredible!
    It makes you Happy to live.
    Now I want to go and swim into the sea.
    Great Game!!!
  67. Apr 1, 2021
    It's not a game. You can swim for 2 hours and doing nothing: abzu is complete
  68. Apr 10, 2021
    ABZU is an artistic and very colorful masterpiece. This is one of the few games that touched me. Exploring the underwater and interactions with the organisms that live there was for me a new experience. The only thing that I disliked is the appearance of our protagonist. In my opinion it doesn't match to the look other things.
  69. May 14, 2021
    There is a lot to like here, the world is beautiful the secrets and collectibles well done and it tells a very simple but engaging story. For a Journey clone it does a lot right.
  70. Apr 4, 2021
    It's simple. Maybe too simple. I wish it had some minor improvements here and there. Maybe just some wider areas, or a better boost. I dont know. The game is breath taking, and it has so much potencial that I couldnt help but feel i wanted more of it, now that I played it once more so many years later.
    But still it's rating is way up there, for me.
  71. Jun 23, 2020
    Abzu is a very artistically beautiful game. However, the gameplay can be very repetitive to most. Its short and sweet. Running at about a 2-4 hour gameplay experience, but being free to PSN Plus users, definitely worth the download and experience. The soundtrack and art direction is superb. I don't have much negative to say about my experience, cause it was a beautiful one.
  72. Apr 29, 2021
    Banda sonora de maravilla, visualmente es precioso y mucha exploración, el único defecto es que en una hora te lo pasas ya que es un poco corto pero merece la pena jugarlo.
  73. Feb 1, 2022
    Das Spiel gibt eine wunderschöne Stimmung her. Es gibt auch absolut magische Momente die mir im Gedächtnis bleiben. Trotzdem gab es Passagen besonders in der Mitte, die mir nicht gefielen. In der kurzen Spielzeit, solllten diese kurzen Leerläufe nicht passieren. Trotzdem ein Muss für Leute, die Spiele wie Journey lieben.
  74. Jun 7, 2021
    Abzu is a great art game, made in the same style as thatgamecompany's Journey. Instead of traversing a desert, in Abzu you swim through a series of underwater levels, with the occasional puzzle (pull a switch or two) to solve. You'll marvel at the numbers of fish rendered at once, even though every object's polygon count is rather low. However, even though Abzu is inspired by Journey (someAbzu is a great art game, made in the same style as thatgamecompany's Journey. Instead of traversing a desert, in Abzu you swim through a series of underwater levels, with the occasional puzzle (pull a switch or two) to solve. You'll marvel at the numbers of fish rendered at once, even though every object's polygon count is rather low. However, even though Abzu is inspired by Journey (some of the developers worked on that game, too), it's not as good. Abzu lasts roughly 90 minutes but unlike Journey there is no encounter with random strangers online, and the music is just not of the same quality. I was annoyed by sections where you have to avoid proximity mines, but you won't lose no matter how many times you are zapped. But just like Journey, there are beautiful scenes to behold, such as meeting whales or riding through jetstreams and pick up some fish to accompany you. Abzu is not the best art game but it's one of the better ones. Expand
  75. Sep 14, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. From some of the people behind 'Journey' and 'Flower', two of the best experiences on PS3, this game is quite amazing and also fairly derivative of the two aforementioned games. Strangely, my enjoyment of Abzu was lessened the more I played and saw the similarities and outright riffing of ideas used in Journey and even Flower before that. The character looks like Journey's protagonist in a diving suit. Watching the fish swarm and swim by and around you is STUNNING, but seemed to be a modification of the petal trails in Flower and some of the more automated sequences were definitely ripped from Journey. At the end of Journey, while I won't say I understood everything, I believe I came to a satisfactory understanding of the story they were telling. In Abzu, while I guess I caught on to some of the more major themes by the end, they seemed disjointed and poorly formed. The game, directed and designed by former thatgamecompany art director Matt Nava is gorgeous and visually breathtaking, but having a few more people - or maybe a few less - who worked on Journey's story would've made a game worthy of its predecessors legacy. I gave Abzu a score of 7 mostly for the visuals and docked 3 mostly for the storytelling Expand
  76. Dec 28, 2021
    Beautiful visuals and captivating music really make Abzu a game worth experiencing, its gameplay is pretty barebones and its length is very short which holds the game back but if you can get it for a discounted price it is definitely worth checking out.
  77. Mar 17, 2021
    This game gives off Journey-like vibes, without however reaching the same height in its atmosphere and, more importantly, its climax.
  78. Feb 14, 2022
    Free drop on PS+ and I probably would of not even brought it. That being it was a fairly relaxed chill experience. Simple bold colorful artstyle set to a pretty immersive soundtrack. Story was kind of obvious to figure out the nurture of nature and all that. Gameplay is miminal which works for this type of laid back experience. This does have a nice feel good factor to it all. One andFree drop on PS+ and I probably would of not even brought it. That being it was a fairly relaxed chill experience. Simple bold colorful artstyle set to a pretty immersive soundtrack. Story was kind of obvious to figure out the nurture of nature and all that. Gameplay is miminal which works for this type of laid back experience. This does have a nice feel good factor to it all. One and done no replay value. Expand
  79. Nov 25, 2021
    This game is a pure work of art. The music is pure masterpiece material....
  80. Jun 2, 2020
    ......................................................................
  81. Sep 27, 2021
    Journey in the ocean?
    Or somethnig really similar to it.
    I wanted to try this game for 20-30 mins, but played the whole game in one sitting (1.5 hours). Meditative and light game for you to relax, nothing else. Beautiful colors, sometimes even wonderful. Great audio effects and music that reminded me of fairy tales from my childhood and that created a pleasant atmosphere in the game.
    Journey in the ocean?
    Or somethnig really similar to it.

Liked it more than Journey.
  82. Mar 28, 2020
    Abzu Review: 7/10
    Abzu's unique art style, soundtracks and scenarios makes you have a different, unique and relaxing experience.
    The game is more of a visual experience, and a very pretty one.
    Abzu is very linear, there are some optional collectibles and nice vistas.
    To conclude my review I consider Abzu a very peaceful experience, and also similar to Journey.
  83. Aug 23, 2021
    Beautiful game with a great atmosphere.

While it's quite simplistic in gameplay and story. Exploring the locations, searching collectibles and discovering new sealife creatures is a lot of fun. The atmosphere is great and diving into the deep waters made my inner child a bit scared and meeting giant squids, whales and even dinosaurs excited. Definitely worth a try on psnow or when on
    Beautiful game with a great atmosphere.

Definitely worth a try on psnow or when on sale. Full price I think the game is too short although for the right price it's actually a good thing. If you only play the latest fifa or call of duty look away, you'll find it boring. But if you're open for something different, looking for short adventure in between two games or even a parent with a sealife loving child this is definitely worth a try. Only thing I miss in this game is a compendium of all the sealife featured, would of been a fun feature. Kinda like a mini pokedex of the featured sealife.
  84. May 5, 2021
    A great ambient game that doesn't quite reach the height of Journey. Very relaxing and atmospheric (and short).
  85. May 15, 2020
    Juego muy bonito en su estética, muy similar al estilo Journey, es un juego más de contemplación que de acción, pero también se agradecen este tipo de juegos, muy buena representación del fondo del mar y el mundo marino, peca de ser excesivamente corto y demasiado sencillo.
  86. Jul 9, 2020
    Приятная чилловая игра. Минусы : не хватает эффектов и графики
  87. Apr 28, 2020
    Overall - 7.1

Great visuals but get boring really quickly

Enjoyment - 7.5
  88. Jun 12, 2020
    We ‘played’ this game as a movie, with our family sitting around the TV after dinner one night and one person holding the controller. In that format, it worked great. It’s a beautiful game with good variation in the environments you swim through, and our family enjoyed the ending.

We got this game with our PlayStation Now subscription, and that price feels about right. If you have to pay any more than that (or $3-$4), then just watch a play through on YouTube. It is quite short.
  89. Jul 2, 2021
    This game is ine of the best platformers i ever played. Her landscapes is so spectacular and cute. Gameplay is relaxing
  90. Jun 20, 2020
    The most beautiful game I have ever seen. The way the music blends with the gameplay and mystery of the story gave me goosebumps, and it was JAW Dropping. Only flaw I found with the game was the very limited gameplay that was very repetitive throughout. However I understand that was not the main point of the game so I cannot discredit the outstanding work by the devs and team that worked on ABZU.
  91. Mar 15, 2022
    What a game. Relaxing, enjoyable, with a simple but effective story. Swimming in the sea is this game is just amazing and the landscapes are just breathtaking.
  92. Mar 29, 2021
    It is a pretty game, very very similar to Journey but at the same time I felt like it was not at the same level and I didn't feel attached to the "story" the same way i did with Journey. Still, it is enjoyable so if you like this kind of games you should give it a try
  93. Sep 19, 2021
    Short experience like Journey but without the novelty of the later. Is not bad and it only last like 2 hours, a recommended game if you wanna just enjoy some free, relaxed time with good visuals.
  94. Jun 12, 2022
    ABZU steht in der Tradition von Spielen wie dem phänomenalen Journey, oder auch Flowers von thatgamecompany. Da kommt nicht von Ungefähr, dass sich das Entwicklerteam GiantSquid aus vielen ehemaligen Journey Entwicklern gegründet hat. ABZU bietet ein ähnliches Spielgefühl und Spielkonzept, das man am ehestens mit dem Wort "flow" beschreiben kann. Mit ihrer Unterwassenwelt entwickeltABZU steht in der Tradition von Spielen wie dem phänomenalen Journey, oder auch Flowers von thatgamecompany. Da kommt nicht von Ungefähr, dass sich das Entwicklerteam GiantSquid aus vielen ehemaligen Journey Entwicklern gegründet hat. ABZU bietet ein ähnliches Spielgefühl und Spielkonzept, das man am ehestens mit dem Wort "flow" beschreiben kann. Mit ihrer Unterwassenwelt entwickelt GiantSquid jedoch auch eigene Kniffe, sowohl hinsichtlich der Steuerung, aufgrund des 360 Grad Bewegungsradius, zudem reichert der Entwickler das Spiel nochmals deutlich stärker mit Umgebungsrätseln an, die das Gameplay nochmal abwechslungsreicher machen. Die Unterwasserwelt ist zudem wunderschön anzuschauen, und gerade wenn man in ein neues Areal schwimmt, kommt es regelmäßig zu einem Wow Effekt. Leider fehlt dem Titel allerdings etwas die Tiefe, die ein Journey beispielsweise durch seine einzigartige Koop-Erfahrung bot. ABZU bleibt einem lange nicht so nachhaltig in Erinnerung. Auch die, zumindest zu Anfang, etwas sperrige Steuerung, stehen einem Flow Spielgefühl etwas im Wege. Trotzdem für jeden Fan des Genres sehr zu empfehlen, wenn auch neuere Titel wie das überragende Solar Ash mittlerweile sehr viel mehr an Gameplay zu bieten haben. Expand
  95. Jul 9, 2020
    The atmosphere that this game puts you into is amazing and unforgivable, this is not as good as journey but still a fantastic adventure.
  96. Jul 23, 2020
    I love this game, it’s beautiful and so relaxing to play. I can’t give it a higher score as it’s very short, you can finish this in a few hours.
  97. Aug 26, 2020
    It is a game for you to chill and play , it was so fun to explore this world and to know more about the ocean i recommend this for every person . Even though it doesn’t have any gamplay it’s like journey .
  98. Sep 2, 2021
    I just don't understand why there has so much people praising this game. Imagine a game that's all about graphics and fish. Do you did that? So you must have imagined Abzu. The only thing you do in that games is swim. There is no combat system and the story is subliminal. The problem with the story is that you don't want to understand what is happening, because of how shallow theI just don't understand why there has so much people praising this game. Imagine a game that's all about graphics and fish. Do you did that? So you must have imagined Abzu. The only thing you do in that games is swim. There is no combat system and the story is subliminal. The problem with the story is that you don't want to understand what is happening, because of how shallow the experience is. It's nothing like Hollow Knight, a game that has so much interesting moments, and because of that, it develops in you the desire to understand that universe. In Abzu there is no memorable moment that gives you a desire to understand what is happening.
    I don't recommend anyone to play this game, unless you got it for free.
  99. Jul 25, 2021
    Очень красивая , медитативная и успокаивающая игра. Прошёл на одном дыхании перед сном. Музыка - фантастическая .
  100. Sep 7, 2020
    A delight for the senses. A calm and relaxing game with great control, graphics and immersive ocean to experience. I recommend it!

Generally favorable reviews - based on 72 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 16, 2017
    Abzu is quite simply a breath-taking piece of interactive art, that feels vivid and more alive than you’d imagine a video game was capable of being.
  2. Dec 1, 2016
    A wonderful trip beneath the waves, abounding in small surprises and impressing with the sheer density of life in certain scenes. Whether you’re riding a manta ray or zipping along a speedy current like a highway, it makes the natural world fun while adding its own intriguing mysteries to uncover.
  3. Nov 4, 2016
    Abzû is one of the best games of 2016 with a cryptic yet very good story, alongside with beautiful visuals that go way beyond the aquatic screensaver. Unless you're a hardcore action fan, you have to try it.