8.2

1. Oct 7, 2014
    Alien Isolation delivers one of the most harrowing and unnerving survival horror experiences in years. Capturing the vibe of the first film with absolute precision.

the sound design and presentation is impeccable, the alien an unstoppable force whose unpredictable nature makes every second of the game feel nauseating. The voice acting is sublime and it is a universe to get lost in (no pun intended)

Creative Assembly have not only created one of the best survival games in years, but one of the best alien franchise experiences since James Cameron's sequel in the 80's.

it is claustrophobic, violent, heart stopping and you will die over and over again.

the ride will be worth it.
  2. Oct 8, 2014
    I never do reviews, but I feel this game deserves one. The people giving this negative reviews don't understand the game. This is a survival horror game. It will be slow paced, stressful, and the AI is unpredictable. That's on purpose, it's the nature of the beast. The Alien has tricked me a few times, and it's impressive. This is the best AI I've seen for this type of game. The setting isI never do reviews, but I feel this game deserves one. The people giving this negative reviews don't understand the game. This is a survival horror game. It will be slow paced, stressful, and the AI is unpredictable. That's on purpose, it's the nature of the beast. The Alien has tricked me a few times, and it's impressive. This is the best AI I've seen for this type of game. The setting is perfect, the suspense is right on, and the game can be genuinely terrifying. The sound is amazing, and you owe it to yourself to play it with high quality headphones. I have absolutely 0 complaints about this game. It is not only (in my opinion) the best alien game ever made, but among the top survival horror games I have ever played. This is my game of the year, and simply one of the best games I have played in a very long time, even though it's probably taken a year off my life at this point! And that's probably the best compliment I can give a game like this. Expand
  3. Oct 10, 2014
    Alien Isolation to borrow a quote from gearbox, is a "love letter to fans" of the franchise. There is no reason to be skeptical this time around as Isolation might go down not only as one of the best Alien games but perhaps even the one of the best survival horror titles to ever be released. New comers who are not familiar with the movies would have no problem at all picking up this titleAlien Isolation to borrow a quote from gearbox, is a "love letter to fans" of the franchise. There is no reason to be skeptical this time around as Isolation might go down not only as one of the best Alien games but perhaps even the one of the best survival horror titles to ever be released. New comers who are not familiar with the movies would have no problem at all picking up this title and I would be willing to bet they would get sucked into the universe of Alien franchise. For those of us who are diehard fans I can not knit pick anything with wrong with this game. Graphics, voice acting, storyline, atmosphere, gameplay mechanics, ai behavior and fan service are all at or near perfection in my book. On the hardest gameplay setting this game can be brutally difficult however you have to ask yourself, would you really want it any other way? Alien Isolation is a game meant to challenge you to survive against the deadliest killer in universe and it at all times feels that way. I'm so happy for Creative Assembly and thankful for the work they put into this game. Expand
  4. Oct 7, 2014
    This game's setting (if your an Alien fan) is so amazing.First off the sound design,it's amazing,the atomisphere is breathtaking.This game is not for everybody,gamer's who want a quick fix,or are looking for something that give's them immediate gradification,may want to look elsewhere,it's a slow burn,but one that pays off,it's can be chilling at time's.
  5. Oct 13, 2014
    Alien: Isolation is hands down the best Alien game ever made. It has an amazing atmosphere that resembles the original 1979 movie, a fantastic and terrifying sound design, and a perfectly tuned stealth-survival horror gameplay. Of course, it is VERY challenging, but we are fighting the ALIEN, the perfect organism, right?
  6. Oct 24, 2014
    -Atmosphere is fantastic
    -Packed with tense moments full of stressful delight
    -At times can be quite unforgiving (Pro and a Con)
    -Framerate is not very stable in cut scenes
    -Worth the buy for survival horror fans, even more for Alien fans
    -Needs to be played with headset for best experience
  7. Oct 11, 2014
    I went into this game not thinking much of it, I didn't watch any gameplay off the game and I hated Aliens Colonial Marines. On the day of release I scoured IGN to see what score they awarded it (5.9, I didn't bother reading the actual review) I have only recently learned the credibility of IGN when it comes to review and this is in large part because of Alien: Isolation.

The only thing

The only thing that inspired to me to pre-ordering the game was that I found it cheap online, could make a small profit from the game and had recently watched the brilliant 1979 Aliens movie for the first time.

That being said, the game more than exceeded my expectations. I am a big fan of horror games, dating back to Resident Evil 2 and in my opinion, Alien: Isolation wasn't scary. Yes, there were more than enough moments when I heart skipped a beat from being surprised - but they were jump scares. Alien getting you from my vent, being grabbed from the foot by an enemy - i never truly felt scared during the game, not even when the Alien was lurking. The biggest aspect of the game which did make nervous was that there were no checkpoints in the mission - your progress needs to be saved manually in whenever there is a point to do so, this meant that during long stretches I would be every scared to find a save point!

The game has eighteen different missions - so it is very lengthy, I am writing my review after completing the game which took me around 20-25 hours to do, some critics are saying that the game can feel repetitive, I don't think this is fair nor true, i appreciate longer games and this game was great almost every minute, at times I did feel like the game was dragging and was counting down how many missions were left, but I felt truly satisfied once the game ended and felt it was the perfect length.

The enemies in this game are awesome, you fight or escape from other survivors, the Alien and my favourite the Android bots, it is all very intense, the story to this game was also very fascinating. The gameplay was great and it was addictingly challenging - I found myself dying by the Alien in certain sections of the game at least 20 times, but each time I would replay it would be just as exciting as the last.

There are definitely some negatives from the game is that Ripley the main character looks very masculine, this in no way affects the gameplay but i wanted to mention this, what does affect the gameplay and my overall experience was the lip syncing - which was way off it was frustrating. The load times were extremely long and when you call a tram to travel to another section of the game this would take very long as well (May be for suspense but still) The game was a little glitchy at times as well. There is also hardly any replay ability in the game either.

Still a fantastic game.
  8. Oct 7, 2014
    Alien Isolation delivers everything that it promised, that being a unscripted A.I the Alien, authentic atmosphere and ultimately a survival horror experience reminiscent of the good old resident evil and silent hill days.

The game play is nothing groundbreaking but it doesn't need to be. The game made me feel how i did during my time with resident evil all those years ago, with locked doors, key cards, special items and gradual weapons and gear to be found. This experience really makes you feel isolated and vulnerable, you also feel powerless and every step feels like progress and a achievement that you have survived.

Comparing the game with the original 1979 Alien, the game is ultimately immerse in fact id go as far as saying its most immerse experience I have ever had the delight to play especially with authentic the atmosphere is. There is a crafting system in place to help you along the way, those who have played The Last Of Us will appreciate the system. Although Alien Isolation requires a balance of skill, patience and luck to use the system to your advantage due to how under powered you are and the enemy difficulty. Unfortunately you will die allot but the crafting system is here to aid your progression and ultimately the game wants you to learn from your mistakes this only adds to the suspense and immersion that you are trying to survive.

I wont go into detail about the story as the first 10 minutes is very self explanatory and ties in perfectly with the first film, the story does progress nicely with plenty of cut scenes, twists and scares to be found along the way. My only negative is I have been unable to use my pre order pass on ps4 for nostromo edition due to an error and a few minor bugs such as stuttering and frame rate drops. I believe a patch is in progress to fix many issues.

Overall i rate the game 9/10 and believe this to be one of the best survival horror experiences ever to be made. 1979 Alien fans will appreciate all the art work detail and the authentic soundtrack. Play with headphones for a more immerse and satisfying experience.
  9. Oct 7, 2014
    I love this game.
    Best graphic game on Ps4.
    The sound design is superb.
    Alien Isolation is a well done Alien game.
    This game is sexy and badass!
    Alien is back ****
  10. Oct 9, 2014
    In my opnion of Alien isolation,Creative assembly has proven themselves worthy of making a decent Alien game. the visuals are superb and just in style and tone of Ridley Scott's 1979 original, the AI overall is unique, challenging and adaptive as promised, it has a script in which I think thats worthy of the franchise. the game makes use of the PS4's gimmicks the speaker and light bar onIn my opnion of Alien isolation,Creative assembly has proven themselves worthy of making a decent Alien game. the visuals are superb and just in style and tone of Ridley Scott's 1979 original, the AI overall is unique, challenging and adaptive as promised, it has a script in which I think thats worthy of the franchise. the game makes use of the PS4's gimmicks the speaker and light bar on the controller is interactive the motion tracker, where as at the same time it makes use of noise detection ad head tracking through the camera in which i thought added to the experience. The game had good premise for survival horror Expand
  11. Oct 17, 2014
    I might fangasim a few times during this review... but please, let me do so. I haven't seen a good ALIEN game in... oh god, decades? I enjoyed the AVP games, Aliens 3 (game) was alright but my favorite was Aliens Trilogy. Although looking at ALIENS in games I'd say the best ones aren't actually ALIEN based game. Super Contra and Metroid were my favorite games of all time and I knew theI might fangasim a few times during this review... but please, let me do so. I haven't seen a good ALIEN game in... oh god, decades? I enjoyed the AVP games, Aliens 3 (game) was alright but my favorite was Aliens Trilogy. Although looking at ALIENS in games I'd say the best ones aren't actually ALIEN based game. Super Contra and Metroid were my favorite games of all time and I knew the reason why was because there were hints of H.R. Giger's work in there. Then there was.... ugh Aliens Colonial Marines and I wept for my franchise as we might not see another game based on the lore for awhile. The chance to have a good gaming company do a new age ALIEN game had been blown on crappy FPS Call of Duty Alien Warfare. A game that had no sense of the sci-fi horror I knew and loved.

But then we got Alien Isolation... thank you. This is the ALIEN game I've been waiting for. It's beautiful and does the franchise proud. The intro alone made me nerd out pretty hard, hearing Ripley's audio recording from ALIEN as the intro?! I don't care if they threw in "oh and Ripley had a daughter this whole time...." storyline. They make it work, and I see a lot of Ripley in her.

As for the actual gameplay, now this is going to be different each fan. I am a big fan of ALIEN the first movie. It had more horror themed elements to it and as the series went along it became more action. Not a bad thing but I just liked how they did the first movie, with such a isolated experience with the Xenomorphs Ripley had nothing else to rely on but herself. I remember the first I watched it, saw a Xenomorph (Kane's son for all you hardcore fans out there) for the first time and man it scared the crap out of me.

This is where the game seemed to draw the most influence from because Alien Isolation is not only a great sci-fi game and a nod to the ALIEN franchise but it's one of the scariest games I've played. Tension, atmosphere, sound and the environment are just downright awesome. Usually modern horror games these days seem to be nothing more than a fest of jumpscares. They are cheap thrills that only lost for a few seconds. Real fear is much worse, its what drive you mad. It's the reason you slow down while playing. It's the reason you're afraid to go forward. The reason you're looking around you in all directions. A jumpscare will cause your hear rate to flutter and you'll go "ahhh" then it's gone. Real fear has you talking, saying to yourself everything will be okay. Real fear stays with even after you turn off your game. And this game does that with ease. Lately I haven't been scared by many games or movies. I'm not saying I never get scared but it's hard to get me. Yet somehow with this game I feel fear, and I love every second of it.

I highly recommend this.
  12. Nov 3, 2014
    Absolute gem of a game. Yes you die a lot, but if you played the games from the 80s and 90s, you died alot too. The atmosphere in the game is 10/10, the music is incredible, sucking you into the game and ramping up the stress at the right time.

This is very close to Dead Space and I enjoyed that game immensely but IMHO, this game surpasses it immeasurably with the atmosphere. I have read opinions of whether this would have worked better as a 3rd person, but I think this is perfect as a first person. You feel completed immersed in the space station.

I am playing this game slowly because it's too stressful to play for more than an hour at a time. Stressful not in bad oh-this-is-a-lousy-game kind of way but, in a this game scares the crap out of me way.

This is easily my top 2 game of the year, the other being The Last of Us Remastered - which wasn't scary in any way but had amazing production value and quality.
  13. Oct 9, 2014
    So, you think you felt fear? Trust me, you haven't, not until you try this gem. Other than laggy cut scenes, and stiff mokap, this game delivers. Although the difficulty can be frustrating at points, those of you who grew up playing games like Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden on NES won't be phased. Gamers who are fans of mindless shooters that require little to no skill may want to stay awaySo, you think you felt fear? Trust me, you haven't, not until you try this gem. Other than laggy cut scenes, and stiff mokap, this game delivers. Although the difficulty can be frustrating at points, those of you who grew up playing games like Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden on NES won't be phased. Gamers who are fans of mindless shooters that require little to no skill may want to stay away from this one, or borrow a friends copy before buying, chances are, you won't like this title. Those seeking an adrenaline filled ride(I'm still shaking) with the most deadly species of the universe, put on your best headphones, turn off the lights and stock up on adult diapers, you're going on a hell of a ride. If your a fan of the franchise (finally an actual good Alien game!) or enjoys a good survival horror, this title is essential to your game library. Expand
  14. Oct 7, 2014
    What an amazing game, I will say that its difficult but an incredibly tense game as well. Just what I was looking for in a horror genre. I would get desperate to find a save point before getting attacked by the Alien.
    About the survival mode, its even more intense, as you are being timed and aiming for a high score, the only bad part about it, is that included in the game you only have one map and if you want other maps and characters you would need to get the season pass. But overall A really good game the Alien AI is sick especially in hard, I would call it a simulator to the Alien movies.
  15. Oct 8, 2014
    Finally an Alien game worthy of the name and the license. Rarely have I been so tense playing a video game. The atmosphere is spot on from the original film and completely immersive. Periods of atmosphere followed by nail biting moments were you cower under a table as the alien stalks you, your breath in your throat as it skulks about your hiding spot. This is not a game for the faintFinally an Alien game worthy of the name and the license. Rarely have I been so tense playing a video game. The atmosphere is spot on from the original film and completely immersive. Periods of atmosphere followed by nail biting moments were you cower under a table as the alien stalks you, your breath in your throat as it skulks about your hiding spot. This is not a game for the faint of heart or for those without patience. If you hurry, you will die, if you don't choose your moments carefully, you will die, if you don't plan ahead walking into encounters you will die. And even if you do everything right the unpredictable nature of the AI may still turn around at the most inopportune moment and you will die. Many complaints about the game are that there are limited save points coupled with long stretches of frustrating deaths to reach the next. Contrary to nay-sayers there are actually plenty of save points along the way. The challenge is reaching them undetected long enough to save. That is part of what makes this game great. It is merciless, hard and unforgiving. That unto itself is part of the horror. Knowing that you have played for an hour or more of progress with that save spot just next door and you being desperate to reach it. However, the alien is skulking and hissing around it, or about you in your hiding spot hampering your ability to reach it. Or upon reaching that save point you screaming at the screen to “hurry up and save” as Ripley punches in the 3 second code necessary to save your progress before being spotted. However, as scary as the game is we all know that it is just a game and our real lives are not on the line as the creature devours your face time and time again. So how to simulate that same tension level in a gamer sitting in their cushy living room couch in “Everytown” USA? Make it so that you have something to risk and not just the virtual life of Amanda Ripley on your big screen TV. Make it so it has something tangible to you, something every gamer fears…lost progress. Not only are you afraid of the alien lurking about with crescendoing horror music blaring through your speakers, but of also losing your precious effort and game time to reach that next objective. Yes you will die, yes you cry out as you lose an hour or more of progress. And it will happen often. Unlike CoD you will not respawn were you left off ready to frag another player a half block away from your derezzing corpse. This is not CoD and if you are a gamer that likes that genre and expect that type of gameplay from a horror game than this is not the game for you. This is about heightened stress and terror and the developers have made it to be as such. You on the edge of your seat through this ride and if it was an easy go there would be a flurry of complaints that the game is too simplistic and over and done with too quickly. On the contrary, every objective here seems an accomplishment, every save point a victory. I found that after hitting a save I would regularly slump back into my chair sometimes mentally and emotionally drained from an hour long Epinephrine rush. Pausing the game to catch ones breath is a luxury that Amanda Ripley wouldn't enjoy in that virtual world being stalked by one of the deadliest creatures in the galaxy. A real challenge would be to be to eliminate the ability to pause and to keep that tension going to experience how the character would truly feel in that situation. Complaints about the scripting of the alien AI are bogus. There few sections where the alien is scripted to appear at story driven segments as it is dropped into a level with you or to force a particular plot point. Beyond that the AI is brilliant, unpredictable and adaptive. Every encounter feels unique as it moves and hunts in seemly random patterns. It will stalk a circle of rooms or halls 3 times only to suddenly jump into a vent or reverse direction catching you in mid stride when you think you have it figured out. You will pat yourself on the back for outsmarting and ditching the blasted thing 2 rooms back only to have it drop out from an overhead vent in front you, sending you scurrying for cover. Overall the game has delivered what it promised, a tense horror game from one of the great movie franchises in Sci-Fi history. It is tribute to the original material and worthy of Ridley Scott's vision and the roots of the series. Top that off with DLC from the movie it is a must for any Alien fan. Hopefully the remaining DLC still to come will add more levels from some of the other films. Would love to see a scene from Alien 3 with the dog alien bounding down a prison vent shaft toward you. Turn off the lights, crank the volume on the surround sound, make some popcorn, and be prepared to bite your nails and fire off a curse word or three. Alien: Isolation is a murderous mistress and will challenge your patience and sanity. Kudos to the developers for their effort! Expand
  16. Oct 9, 2014
    Isolation does what any fan of the Alien franchise wants. Authenticity, fear and helplessness. The game gives tools when needed but you must make them fram salvage making scarcity a prime element. The game has a very strong introductory segment that is gripping and doesnt fall into the trap of throwing the player in withought knowing at least somehow how to survive. You quickly learn thatIsolation does what any fan of the Alien franchise wants. Authenticity, fear and helplessness. The game gives tools when needed but you must make them fram salvage making scarcity a prime element. The game has a very strong introductory segment that is gripping and doesnt fall into the trap of throwing the player in withought knowing at least somehow how to survive. You quickly learn that the trademark vrute force objective based mentality we are bathed in will only get you killed and is a stark reminder we are in a whole different genre.

The game hits aces on making the player feel afraid but also gives options. Something other games dont have time for. The story is riveting top notch, while me only complaint is in the PS4 version there is work to be done on non-cutscene animation fluidity and authenticity. But never once took away from its storytelling abilities.

You really feel alone. Or better off alone. Ive waited a long time for an Alien game to please me. And i still have hope for the other side of the Aliens franchises ability to use this as inspiration for future games. This ishow the alien was meant to be seen. 9/10
  17. Oct 14, 2014
    I went in this game with low expectations, as you can imagine due to past experience.

I was instantly taken by the atmosphere and setting. It was an absolute perfect replication of the classic Alien movie, which directly sparked an interest to re watch the movie just to see how well it was made. As I do, I will point out the bad and the good directly: The bad: - Sometimes the

The bad:
    - Sometimes the unpredictability of the Alien AI makes you shout out of frustration when you thought you had made it, just to find out you have a freaking tail coming out of your stomach just when you were about to close the door behind you. As I said...sometimes it is bad.
    - Felt a little dragged on at times, causing some repetitions for the sake of longevity.

The Good:
    - Atmosphere and graphics are very good.
    - Gameplay mechanics are well made making you feel well in control of the character.
    - I liked the way the story slowly built up to bring you in confrontation with the alien.
    - I absolutely loved the strong tension felt with the amazing music build ups in crucial moments of confrontation. If you play with headphones, you will endure mini heart attacks from the tension. Love it.
    - Voice acting is good and acting good enough.
    - A bit of old school "find the key to the door" kind of scenario in many levels, I like it.

You will get lost in this universe and many unexpected events after 2/3rds of the game will make your heart pumping, especially when you are left alone with the alien.

You feel isolated and struggling for survival..
  18. Nov 12, 2014
    This game is fantastic. It has a few glitches. Sometimes the AI is wacky, but overall, possibly the best Alien game made so far. There's enough here for the player to try different things in the setups. Though the game does drag on near the later half of the game. I mean how many of these doors and levers do you need to open. Also the alien does become less of a threat once you getThis game is fantastic. It has a few glitches. Sometimes the AI is wacky, but overall, possibly the best Alien game made so far. There's enough here for the player to try different things in the setups. Though the game does drag on near the later half of the game. I mean how many of these doors and levers do you need to open. Also the alien does become less of a threat once you get the flame thrower. Still, despite these few minor annoyances, the game is very good, and amusing. Expand
  19. Oct 3, 2015
    That's a decent game for sure. Not as good as SOMA (more recent this one). The production value is really nice. Graphics are superb. In the sound department, that's a joy! The Alien is a s.o.a.b, and sometimes he seems a little bit too persistent (like mentally ill "focused"!). I've found that if you don't hide inside a box or a locker, the beast tend to keep his distance a little more....That's a decent game for sure. Not as good as SOMA (more recent this one). The production value is really nice. Graphics are superb. In the sound department, that's a joy! The Alien is a s.o.a.b, and sometimes he seems a little bit too persistent (like mentally ill "focused"!). I've found that if you don't hide inside a box or a locker, the beast tend to keep his distance a little more.... and that walking is an option as long as there's shadows. I almost forgot about the story... err, maybe because the Hide & Seek game with Big Al is waayy to tedious and repetitive. I don't know. I'm not that impressed about that aspect of the game. Good game overall. Expand
  20. Oct 20, 2014
    Alien isolation is a masterful experience . One that won't be forgotten if you play it properly .

I am an older gamer . Now I don't mean to bore you with I walked 2 miles in snow type of stories . Video games were way harder in those days . Now most games take the player by the hand these days . Alien Isolation is a hard game . It's very clear from the start this is this is an homage to Mr . Scott's films . As well as Mr. Cameron's . Albeit in a more covert manner . It is also a love letter . Not only to alien fans but also to those of survival horror as well .

The story is pretty good . It's obvious where this game draws its inspiration . I personally love when a devoloper embraces the source material . Yet refuses to compromise its vision . The game has a very clean minimal interface . Allowing for a more cinematic presentation and feel . This game is an homage to the alien film and is essentially a companion piece . As such I would recommend watching the film before playing the game . If only to give you a better appreciation and understanding of the universe you are going to be playing in .

This is a very old school game . It took years to develop the developers took their time. As such they want you to take your time with it . Play it on hard and in the correct manner and you are in for experience . Alien is very old school . Checkpoints ?. Nope extremely rare . Manual save points are spread throughout the game in the form of phones . Ratcheting up the anxiety you are not safe anywhere even while saving . Which brings me to the AI. Of the alien itself .

Throw everything out the window and take the conventions learned from other games and forget them . They will not help you here . Think you can sit in a corner and figure out patrol routes nope the alien will find you . Think you can run away ?. Guess again the alien is an amazing athlete . Covering 40 yards quicker than megatron . Think you could hide in that locker ?. Well if you're in there too long the alien will find you . This is not the only danger on this station . There are several human bandits aboard the ship as well as working joe androids . This is a stealth game and combat is to be avoided . This is a stealth game after all . Making noise is almost always a bad idea . Do not run that's the best advice I can give .

The art design and sound design of this game are stellar . The game is best played in the dark with a good set of cans . The alien is not the only threat aboard this ship . Usually you can tell where the alien is by sound . However all that goes out the window as some objectives sound alarms which will surely attract your new friend . It's in moments like these isolation shines brighter . As the alarms rage and smoke and fog fill your vision you will need to think quick to survive .

Alien isolation is an uncompromising vision . This is the best alien game ever made and definitely one of the finest most unique survival horror titles ever . If played properly you are in for a real treat . Now obviously this game won't appeal to everyone but those aching for a truly different game pick this up . Play the game on hard and you are in for a compelling and rewarding experience you won't soon forget . It'll leave you frazzled and shaking in your little space boots .
  21. Nov 10, 2014
    Absolutely wonderful in a horrific, scary way :) Didn't have so much fun since ages:D The PS4 controller
    works as a sound source for the motion tracker, the music is impeccable and the game itself is quite long. There are some really nice effects. It's one of the few games I'm going to play again :D
  22. Oct 12, 2014
    As usual this review will contain some spoilers and contains un-biased opinions based upon an experience of playing and fully completing this game.

**It is worth noting that for this review the PC version of this game was used on a high end system. Graphics settings Maximum and Difficulty on Normal (Not Easy or Hard).** Survival Horror Isolation: Take a sprinkling of alien a dash

Graphics settings Maximum and Difficulty on Normal (Not Easy or Hard).**

Survival Horror Isolation:
    Take a sprinkling of alien a dash of human a bucket of machinery and just a pinch of "where the hell am I?" will leave most consumers with a pleasant taste in their mouths. Although not everyone likes their steak served "rare" this is one prime cut that really shouldn't be overcooked.

Here's Looking at You Kid:
    In accordance to routine we start with visuals and to be honest, despite it's somewhat humble approach to environment design, Isolation has some really neat graphical wizadry under the hood. The character designs themselves "could" use some gloss and there are many features which seem to be lazy. Lighting and Shadows however are masterfully done and often places would be too dark to appreciate blinding beauty. A completely suitable design visually with credit where credit is due; the areas of exploration in the space suit, outside the station for example give you time to appreciate some of the finer visuals in Isolation.

Why the Hell Are We Here Anyway:
    Moving on to first impression aspects the title "Isolation" doesn't really befit the game.... The station in its own right is generally populated and very rarely will you find yourself truly "Isolated". As would be expected in times of dire strife, survival instincts begin to kick in.... people are desperate to stay alive and would sooner kill and ask questions later. The autominous systems on board duely dubbed "Working Joe's" have also begun to go rougue (for reasons later explained in the game) and will happily request you "Remain Calm" while they stamp on your head and if that's not bad enough there is a highly intelligent alien assasin on board which EVERYONE is expecting YOU to get rid of..... Sounds like the perfect scenario for a honeymoon.......

Get Under the Goddam Desk Will You:
    Despite a few small pretentions; Isolation is far from being an FPS. It has probably been said before and will be said again.... this "flavour" of survival beef won't tingle on everyones tastebuds. Playing like John Rambo is rarely going to cut it. Paitence, planning and timing are your biggest guns here and that is heavily reflected in the Alien stalking sections of the game.

Isolations contents itself are genearlly quite long and should give you enough to get your money worth out of your time. That being said... I sure it would have felt shorter if the amount of time dying was a little leaner. And you will die......again and again.....

Puzzles are mediocre but in contrast do not take away too much from actually having to hide most of the time, after all focus should be about staying alive. Some variety of tools seem a little pointless in difference when traversing different areas and the added frustration with some save-points being too far apart (good thing or bad thing? not sure here).

Dying a Lot:
    While frustrating, it is also one of the key elements of the game.... this has to be said and because of this, it is easy to understand why some will absolutely hate this game. The game is MEANT to be tricky..... it is meant to keep you on your toes and keep sitting under desks for 5-10 minutes at a time to avoid getting another backstabbing. Be creative and use the crafting system to "Make" useful distractions at key points in order to progress, that is where this game will really shine for those with the survival instincts.

Personal Taste:
    One of the greatest points for me on a "personal" note seems to one that is a "beef" for many others. The Alien non-predictive AI..... Not knowing exactly where and or if the Alien will show up during the Stalking sections of the games... this for me is one of the main elements I wanted to push forward. It makes you listen... makes you pay attention and be creative.... failure to do so will probably result on you trying to predict a pattern OR indeed a "Patrol Route". So after about the third time you know exactly who is going to be where etc etc and you progress...... Isolation just looks at your and declares "Computer says no"..... players should at least be willing to appreciate this is some nice coding..... you are not just following routine here...... you are "Actively" being stalked...... kudos...

Overview:

Graphics: 8/10 nicely done but could use a spit shine
    Sound: 9/10 pretty damn ambient in my opinion (think of the era)
    Gameplay: 7/10 nothing groundbreaking but done well enough for the purpose
    Story: 7/10 progressive and relatively well done, just not enough interaction generally

Overall: 8/10 a well-rounded attempt that fills a somewhat massive gap in the Alien "Game" franchise with enough action to make your mum jump occasionally.....
  23. Nov 3, 2014
    Alien: Isolation is definitely one of the best games of the year. Perhaps the first truly "survival horror" ever. If you are a sci-fi lover, then you must play this game. The atmosphere is just amazing. It feels like you are inside a 60's/70's sci-fi movie. The graphics are the best produced for the next-gen at this point.

This is not a game for everyone, tough. If you are used to games

This is not a game for everyone, tough. If you are used to games like "Assassin Creed" or "Call of Duty", perhaps you won't enjoy it. That's explain the criticism this game is getting from some press reviews. First of all, its a game where you barely needs to fire a gun. Your best way to survive in this game, is hiding. Sometimes you need to spend some minutes hiding while the Creature walks around looking for you. So, if you are expecting something similar James Cameron's "Aliens" you won't find it here.

A:I is a perfect recreation of 1979 classic. Its a nerve wracking experience. The Alien (called the Creature in the game) feels like its is supposed to be: a perfect organism. As I said before, the atmosphere and the graphics are amazing. For sci-fi and Alien fans there are some magical moments (at some points you feel like you are inside 2001 Space Odyssey).

The Creature is unpredictable and is not scripted. The save points are not friendly. The creature cannot be killed. The sound design creates a tense atmosphere (perhaps its one the best gaming sound design ever). Thats the perfect formula for creating a real horror experience in video-games. Its almost impossible to get scared playing a game when you can save your progress any time you want, when your enemies have predictable behavior and when you know if you fire some bullets you will kill then all at some point.

Its not an easy game. My advise: in your first play-trough, choose the "easy" difficult, otherwise your experience can be more frustrating than scary. I also believe in "gamma settings" you should choose a configuration with more shadows. The game design gets more beautiful with its lights and contrasts, and the sci-fi horror atmosphere gets a little better.

Its also a long game. But it never gets boring. Its not a movie. Its a game, a sci-fi one. There are other issues you have to deal with, the creature is not the only one. It means you need to explore Sevastopol and discover some of its secrets. Its a vey satisfying journey.

Sega and the producers deserve credits for taking risks with this game. I think A:I will follow the same pattern as some sci-fi classics like Blade Runner, 2001, Alien and even Prometheus. Movies who received "mixed" reviews when they were released, but got "classical" status in the following years. This game will be a classic one day.

I won't give this game a 10, because since its a PS4 game, the characters facial expressions and movements doesn't feel super natural, and sometimes some of them are speaking but their mouths are not moving. Last Of Us raised the bar in that aspect. I also believe that the fighting against the androids should be more dynamic. Other issue I found in the game, was the use of some video-game clichés, like "the path is blocked, find and alternative reach point x". Despite those minor flaws, its a solid great game. One of the best of this year so far.

A game changer for sci-fi and survival horror gaming. Worth every penny.
  24. Oct 13, 2014
    Difficult and strongly atmospheric, without becoming tedious and repetitive. Supplemented by nice story, evolving game-play and my favorite science fiction nightmarish terror with very good unpredictable (but logical!) AI. Definitely worth a try. Don't get put off by negative reviews. And don't expect FPS shooter - this isn't Alien vs Predator 3 or whatever.
  25. Oct 13, 2014
    A great game...survival horror next gen is finally here. A must play in the dark with headphones. You must have patience to play this game. Everyone will have a different experience with how often they will be killed by the alien...but thats a good thing.
  26. Nov 5, 2014
    Played it on hard. Took approximately 20 hours.

I don't often review anything, but I want to help boost the score of this game. It deserves it. I can't believe the nonsense that IGN and Gamespot spewed. The developers deserve a lot of thanks. They gave a genuine experience to fans of the saga. GRAPHICS: 10: Solid lighting, the atmospheric elements only add to the look. Authentic
    Played it on hard. Took approximately 20 hours.

GRAPHICS: 10: Solid lighting, the atmospheric elements only add to the look. Authentic from top to bottom. Might be the best looking game on PS4. Minor details like rack-focusing on the motion tracker are great touches.

SOUND: 10+: As good as it gets. Sound design / surround mix is incredible. Score is solid. Not much else I can say.

GAMEPLAY: 8 The stealth mechanics is fun and the alien being invincible feels fresh. Reminds me of the survival horrors of yesteryear (Resident Evil Nemesis). I’d have liked the ability to climb over boxes and desks/barriers. It feels a little stiff when you have to walk around everything. My other gripe is Amanda’s throwing ability: it’s awful. I know she’s not some seasoned pitcher, but you can barely toss a noise emitter with any sort of accuracy.

LEVEL DESIGN / SET PIECES: 10: Makes you feel like a part of the universe. Constantly ups the ante throughout. Good use of covering the same ground by shifting environmental hazards etc.

STORY: 7 Typical lore, doesn’t expand on much. Feels authentic, but the dialogue from the lead is a little hokey at times. Without spoiling anything, a lot of people complained about the abruptness of the ending, but I thought it was unapologetic and I appreciated it.

(Not a normal criteria for review, but IGN and GAMESPOT complained so much about it)
    VALUE: LENGTH / DIFFICULTY: 10: The difficulty made the alien feel dangerous to the very end. It didn’t hold your hand. It’s what a single player experience should be. At this point I haven’t touched upon the other game-modes, but I already got my money’s worth. It never felt repetitive. Once you learn the Alien’s behavioral patterns, it opens up the freedom to explore a bit more. Looking forward to trying the other modes and future DLC.

9/10 - Superb. Creative Assembly made the xenomorph scary again. Hopefully they build upon this franchise with future titles.
  27. Oct 29, 2014
    9.5 - one of the first times I've cheered at the end of a game

9.5 - one of the first times I've cheered at the end of a game

Because I felt like I had just been through a grand experience. The game achieves the nuance of the 1979 and then brings a scope and intensity that can't be achieved in film. I've noticed a lot of complaints about the second half of the game and I completely disagree. I can only explain it like this: the first half is 1979 "Alien" and the second half is if Ridley Scott had returned to do a sequel. The gaming experience opens up and you go places and see things you didn't expect.. then sheer terror ensues.

The graphics and sound design are of course top notch. Everything is perfectly recreated and the atmosphere is thick (something missing from a lot of games these days). If you've ever had a chance to play Penumbra, Amnesia, or Outlast then you'll understand.

The campaign is relatively 20 hrs (definitely play it on Hard) and the Survivor mode is a great touch. If you want to have close up and fast encounters with the Alien then that extra mode definitely adds to your dollar value.

The only reason I can't give this game a 10 is because the ps4 version has significant frame stutter issues with the cutscenes (hopefully this will be fixed in a patch) and there are a few audio glitches in corners of the map. Other than those two things, this is a game worth your money and time.

Creative Assembly did amazing work on this one and crafted the best Alien experience to date. And yes, I'm saying it's better than the James Cameron inspired AVP2... way better.
  28. Nov 4, 2014
    this is an amazing game play it for **** sake you little **** **** **** i just came after i completed it on ass **** mode all down my trousers time to clean up
  29. Nov 13, 2014
    If you like stealth games, and you like the Alien franchise, GET THIS GAME NOW! For you, this will absolutely be a 10/10 experience. At it's roots, this is a (fantastic) stealth game, and not a survival horror game.

If you're really not into stealth games, you probably wont have as much fun as I had with this.
  30. Jan 5, 2018
    IT gets a perfect 5/10 of which it deserved every single mark! The presentation , the sound and the atmosphere was TOP NOTCH. This game is quality but it had a core flaw that ruined it. They absolutely had the right idea and the talent.

Unfortunately, they completely ruined the game from being fun by turning it into a tedious fetch quest on a space ship. Basically, you spend the whole game being told "get this generator. Push this lever, go to room C. Ok Go back and push the lever". I'm not kidding when I tell you that this is the gameplay. They throw in an alien in the middle while you do this repeatedly. It gets old really fast...

The game was trash to be honest. Don't believe me? Go ahead, you'll get suckered in and enjoy the first 3 hours and after that....well... I told you so.
  31. Oct 1, 2017
    I don't get the love for this game. The stealth is atrocious. The A.I. is broken, it always seems to hover around you and can spot you through cracks and behind walls and if it gets too close. The alien doesn't move very smoothly. It walks around like a hulking nemesis most of the time, waiting to spot you instead of hunting you. First person controls are imprecise for stealth too, goodI don't get the love for this game. The stealth is atrocious. The A.I. is broken, it always seems to hover around you and can spot you through cracks and behind walls and if it gets too close. The alien doesn't move very smoothly. It walks around like a hulking nemesis most of the time, waiting to spot you instead of hunting you. First person controls are imprecise for stealth too, good luck trying to escape and do something with precision. Expand
  32. Oct 13, 2014
    This game is da Bomb!! Seriously, what a gem.

If you like horror, sneaking and the Alien movie this is for you! That's all i'm going to say, I'm honestly loving this way more than I thought I was going to.
  33. Apr 18, 2015
    This is, without a doubt, one of the most intense, adrenaline-fueled horror survival games I have played in many, many years.

The atmosphere and tension is truly awe-inspiring, the graphics are exceptional, and the overall game-play is just amazing. Coupled with some of the best sound ever to appear in a video game and an exceptional story to tie everything together, Alien Isolation is a gem of a game that will keep you on the edge of your seat for many, many enjoyable hours.

If you like horror survival games, this is a must-have on every level.
  34. Oct 22, 2014
    Returning to the roots of Survival Horror, the games starts with an eerie cinematic setting, and turns from bad to worse in the best possible way. Limited and randomized resources means using devices and bullets are hard decisions, as you can quickly run dry.
    The alien runs around as it pleases, so loading a savegame after memorizing its pattern means piss in the wind.
    When playing on
    When playing on the hardest difficulty, as recommended by the developers, the Alien is truly terrifying: And like many horror games, it is the sound that makes the atmosphere, and this game 'gets' it.
    The story will take you in, albeit being slow at times, and feels like its a lost part of the "Alien" movie series.
    The game has minor bugs here and there, but none which hurt gameplay.
    The only negative part is the laggy cutscenes.
  35. Oct 28, 2014
    Brilliantly stress-inducing as a horror game and spot-on as a licensed game, Alien Isolation delivers a near-perfect take on the xenomorph and its frightening power.
  36. Oct 23, 2014
    When I play games I'm often looking for games that offer me an experience and bring forth that "wow, I can't playing this game", feeling. It doesn't happen often but games that did bring this out were game's like Killzone 2 mp, TLOU, Demon's Souls...ect.

I'm going to cut to the chase here...Alien Isolation is hands down the best game I've played this year. I've never before had a game bring out the terror and tension that Isolation has. It's a slow paced, methodical game, and it's not going to everyone's cup of tea though. Sound, lighting, graphics, and Alien is top notch. They only real negatives I have with the game are minor, the NPC lip syncing stinks and the framerate on a few of the cutscene's seriously chugs along.

If you're any kind fan of the Alien franchise this game is a must buy!
  37. Nov 23, 2014
    A very solid title, marred by a little bit of technical and third act pacing issues. The graphics and atmosphere are both wonderful with the creepy, nearly abandoned Sevastapol with only usually hostile survivors and the creepy alien lurking most of the time. If the alien does not scare, the working joes are oddities that may freak you out when they spot you, but not the best ofA very solid title, marred by a little bit of technical and third act pacing issues. The graphics and atmosphere are both wonderful with the creepy, nearly abandoned Sevastapol with only usually hostile survivors and the creepy alien lurking most of the time. If the alien does not scare, the working joes are oddities that may freak you out when they spot you, but not the best of substitution for the alien and certainly more vulnerable. The game has atmosphere, but not much in the way of combat. It's somewhat clunky and really not meant for combat. The stealth is a bit better, but the alien latches onto Ripley's ass like a coked up chimpanzee. The clunkiness though cones somewhat from the frame rate which is not terrible, but with any serious action on screen, the frame rate does dip to 25 fps which is not that great. Though, the game's teases the end quite a few times and is the biggest issue and causes the pacing issues of the third act. Overall, with decent but not perfect gameplay and pacing issues, the game makes up that issue with strong atmosphere and sound. Expand
  38. Oct 14, 2014
    I'm so glad this game is not another Colonial Marines! This is what happens when a game is put into a competent developers hands! Alien Isolation is a Superb game, and you should play it!

You play as engineer Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen Ripley from the first and second Alien film. Amanda has been searching for Ellen, and is informed of a lead on the space station Sevastopol. As usual in a horror story things go horribly wrong. It's awesome. Alien Isolation plays like a stealth game, well a cat and mouse game, and you're the mouse. Your enemies are significantly stronger than you, especially the Alien. So it's usually in your best interest to crouch walk through the deserted and dead hallways to your next objective. That's not to say you can't fight back, the game gives you an arsenal, but if still makes you feel weak and vulnerable. You have that gun? Ok, it's gonna take a few shots to put that enemy down, oh, and the Alien will hear you! Oh, you have that flamethrower that scares the Alien away? Well, he will come back, and he will be pissed! Alien Isolation is terrifying because of this constant one-move-from-checkmate feeling, and it's excellent atmosphere further drives this feeling. Walking down a deserted hallway and hearing the Alien bump around in the vents is heart pounding! Your only source of comfort is your motion tracker, which alerts you to near by enemies. But you dread pulling out your only savior because you don't want the Alien to be near you, and you don't want to confirm that it's near you. Ignorance is bliss, unless you're standing in the fire (speaking from experience here.) This is all topped of with a manual save system, which also acts as your checkpoint system. I liked this, and thankfully the save stations are evenly spaced out. So you won't have to repeat too much if your die. Gameplay wise Alien Isolation exceeds with flying colors, it's terrifying, and it's a lot of fun.

The graphics are impressive. The attention to detail is incredible! When the game first gave me control of Amanda I was running around looking at every nook and cranny. Some textures are pretty low res however; computer consoles, tools, desks, etc. Along with the cut scenes. Which went from stunning to ugly, it was annoyingly inconsistent, and they're littered with a horrible frame rate. Sometimes the facial animation would look alive and believable, but in the next scene all of the characters would look stoned and detached. Same with animations as well. The pre rendered cut scenes are few and far between when it comes to the narrative, so it makes me wonder why they even bothered. Why not just make it all first person with the in game engine? Not that interactions look better there, character animation is stiff and sometimes their lips don't move when they talk. It's obvious that The Creative Assembly focused on the environments more than anything else, which is great and annoying.

Narrative is also where Isolation falls short. The story isn't bad, but it could have been more! It's so disappointing because there was so much potential with the premise. I hardly cared about the characters and forgot all of their names (except for Amanda for obvious reasons.) It's annoying, because the game clearly wants you to care. The only time I was anywhere near emotionally invested was when the plot focused on Amanda's search for her mom, which shockingly takes up a VERY small part of the story. Seriously it's sad how little it's focused on. All of this is coupled with a disappointing ending.

Over all though Isolation is fantastic. Despite my issues with the narrative and it's inconsistent presentation I loved it. It's easily one of my favorite horror games.
  39. Oct 13, 2014
    This game is a (terrifying) love letter to any person who prefers the original Alien movie to its also fantastic sequel. Even players who don't usually like horror games will feel compelled to go on and explore the picture-perfect recreation of the dark, low-high-tech sci-fi vision of the 1979's movie, filled with CRT screens, mechanical computers and steam vents.

This is not a shooter,

This is not a shooter, so be prepared to hide, crouch through vents, and peer in horror at your motion detector as the beeping green blip comes closer and closer to you while you try to hold your breath and not make a noise.

The game is difficult, occasionally unfair, and has a checkpoint save system that reminds me of Dark Souls' bonfires. It all works great to build an incredible level of tension and fear, but it will also be frustrating to players who don't want to try something different to modern straightforward shooters with quicksave systems.

Technically, the game is a wonder. Graphics are the best I've ever seen, and sound is even better. Every mechanical noise will bring you back to the original movie, and the music feels dynamic and oppressive, including some cues from the original movie soundtrack. The surround audio is also brilliant, and it's just as useful as your motion detector when trying to guess where the creature is.

I can't recommend this game highly enough for fans of the first Alien movie, OR fans of horror games. For everyone else, it will probably not be their cup of tea.
  40. Oct 29, 2014
    This is is a game that is not for everyone.
    It's a really slow paced game with a old fashioned save system that may upset the most impatient persons.
    With that said, I have to say that I loved this game and I think it's a really masterpiece. The Alien is the most intelligent enemy I found in a game ever. It's tense and intense. I was decided not to buy this game after I saw the IGN
    This is is a game that is not for everyone.
    I was decided not to buy this game after I saw the IGN review, but after some days, I decided to see it for myself, and thanks god I did this. It's the most fun I had in a game this year, by far!
    Like I said in the beginning, I know this game is not for everyone and for sure this is not the king of game for the guy who made the IGN review. But I thought their review was too irresponsible. The fact that I didn't like one game shouldn't be the motive to give it a very low score. It may not be my kind of game, but this doesn't mean the game is bad, for god sake!
    The graphics are fantastic, the enemy AI is the best I ever experienced, the light is amazing! And the sound...oh my god!!!
    One piece of advice. Try this game for yourself. Borrow it from a friend or rent it. You may don't like it, but if this is your kind of game, I guarantee you will love it.
    One more thing. I'm just a gamer. I don't work and even don't know somebody who works in the game industry. I just loved this game and. I'm looking forward for a sequel. Please, just do it!
  41. Oct 15, 2014
    This game is best played with the lights off but it will scare the crap out of you! (I used store credit after returning Destiny to make this purchase; what a welcome suprise). Warning: This is a survival game and you need to use your wits. For example, I wasted a bunch of time getting around a fire only to realize that you log into a nearby computer to kill the flow of gas to that section.
  42. Oct 10, 2014
    This game is the game us Alien fans have all been waiting for. Ignore those reviews from polygon and ign. This game makes you feel like you are actually in the movie, as if you were on the ship trying to survive. The atmosphere is completely spot on with the movies. Just wanted to keep this review short because I am in the middle of playing the game.
  43. Oct 30, 2014
    Think Doom 3 with a lot less shooting. The alien is big and scary but the androids are significantly more disturbing, in my opinion anyway. The A.I patterns of the alien are randomised (like in the STALKER games) but there are some occasional scripted sequences for dramatic effect. Lots of nods to the original film and a few to a Blade Runner even! The cutscenes look weird and stutter andThink Doom 3 with a lot less shooting. The alien is big and scary but the androids are significantly more disturbing, in my opinion anyway. The A.I patterns of the alien are randomised (like in the STALKER games) but there are some occasional scripted sequences for dramatic effect. Lots of nods to the original film and a few to a Blade Runner even! The cutscenes look weird and stutter and most of the facial animation is quite unconvincing but these are trivial issues. It is a very linear corridor shooter type of deal and there are aspects which are quite stupid (no jump button etc) so it is not a game without its quirks. This game is highly immersive and memorable and these traits are what really count in a game. If you are an avid fan of good things then you should definitely check this out. Expand
  44. Oct 27, 2014
    Having played Alien: Isolation for awhile now, I can say with complete confidence that this the best Alien game to date and one of the best next-gen releases so far this year. The level design is pristine and makes you feel as if you're actually in the 1970's - 80's Alien films. The Xenomorph is equally well designed and truly terrifying. Since the majority of its movement is randomized,Having played Alien: Isolation for awhile now, I can say with complete confidence that this the best Alien game to date and one of the best next-gen releases so far this year. The level design is pristine and makes you feel as if you're actually in the 1970's - 80's Alien films. The Xenomorph is equally well designed and truly terrifying. Since the majority of its movement is randomized, you never know when he'll show up and how to deal with / track his movements. It's truly unnerving. Whats more, it can be a lot of fun to use it to your advantage as well. There's nothing like approaching a group of humans, popping one with the revolver, waiting for the Xenomorph to investigate, and allowing it to annihilate your enemies for you. That is of course, if it doesn't annihilate you as well. The Working Joes (androids) can be equally as horrifying as well. Without knowing what to look for, you never know if it will be friendly or hostile and if it decides to be hostile it can be just as frustrating, albeit rewarding, to get away from them as it is the alien. To the credit of the lower scoring reviewers out there, it can get frustrating having to replay certain levels time and time again until you get your movements just right. It can be even more frustrating to think you're hiding safely away in a locker only for the Xenomorph to find you, or that you're killed just before you reach the "holy grail" - save point but I think this works in favor of the game. It's extremely rewarding when you do reach those save points and it's intriguing enough to keep you pressing through. When you see people scoring this game low because it's "frustratingly difficult" rest assured that these people were not the individuals the developers were targeting -- it isn't for everybody. But if you're looking for a truly terrifying survival horror that will keep you on your toes and rewards patience over belligerence, then Alien: Isolation is definitely worth your time. Expand
  45. Nov 3, 2014
    After the huge disappointment that was Aliens: Colonial Marines, fans and critics were begging for an Alien game worthy of the license. SEGA and Creative Assembly responded with Alien: Isolation, a survival horror game meant to capture the magic of the original Alien film. Fortunately for the fans, Isolation succeeds where Colonial Marines failed.

The game centers on Amanda Ripley,

The game centers on Amanda Ripley, Ellen Ripley’s daughter, a Wayland-Yutani employee who is still currently searching for clues to her mother's whereabouts. She’s invited on an expedition to a space station, the Sevastopol, which has recently recovered information to Ellen Ripley’s whereabouts. Amanda and her colleagues arrive to find the station in ruins, all caused by a hostile Alien stalking the Sevastopol’s halls.

The first thing you'll notice in Isolation is the amazing graphics and sound design. Everything in this game is perfectly detailed, from the character models, to the sharp textures, and some of the best lighting you'll ever seen in a video game. The voice acting is well done (even if the lip syncing sucks), and the sound design is perfect. The creepy music and sound affects combined with the creepy dark environments make the intense atmosphere truly live up to the name Isolation.

As mentioned earlier, this is a survival horror game, so it was important for the Alien to be done in a terrifying fashion, which is what Isolation gets right. The Alien looks and sounds great. Everything from the way he stomps which causes your controller to vibrate, crawls through the vents, hisses, and drools spit are all done right. The Alien’s presentation is absolutely perfect for a terrifying experience, but the best thing about the Alien is his unique AI. The Alien’s AI is unpredictable and has no set pattern. Whereas other enemies usually move like they're on a set track or route, the Alien goes wherever he feels. This prevents you from knowing what the Alien will do next, so your stealth skills must be sharp. Sure, you can distract him with items you have, but the Alien will learn and adapt to your moves. Use an item too much, and the Alien will catch on, and find you. Pull out a flamethrower, and the Alien will hesitate, until he finds an opening. To top it all off, the Alien can't be killed, but every one of his attacks are instant kills against you. All of these factors combined make Isolation a paranoia inducing experience on every playthrough.

The only real complaint is the Alien’s annoying habit in staying near your area for too long. Even when he as a whole wide open area to explore, the Alien will stay near you, despite not knowing where you are, which means you’ll often wait minutes at a time in certain areas before you can make a move, which can be frustrating.

Despite being the main antagonist, the Alien is not the only hostile thing on the station. Scared survivors litter the station, and will likely shoot you rather than hear you out. They’ll have guns, and you must outmaneuver them or take them down to survive.

The final enemy type are the Working Joes, mannequin like Androids that have become hostile to humans. Unarmed and slow, but durable and strong, they more than make up for their weaknesses and become terrifying in their own right, but they also center on the story’s biggest weak point.

At one point in the story, the Alien takes a backseat and the Working Joes become the primary antagonist in the story. It’s an interesting concept, but it feels more like a misfire, especially since it takes too long for the Alien to take the spotlight again. Also, the suited Working Joes feel incredibly cheap.

In all honesty, I do believe that this game has small problems. Clunky UI, slightly buggy, a dull story with a sequel bait ending, and an okay but underwhelming character (you can see the parallels they were trying to draw with her mother), but I do believe that the game’s problems have been exaggerated greatly.

The backtracking is not nearly as bad as reviewers make you think. You do revisit areas, but there’s always new nooks and crannies to explore with new items and different enemy arrangements to get around. There may not be any auto save feature, but the manual save works fine, and there are only a couple of stations that may be too far from each other. Lastly, the difficulty is way overstated. In a 15 plus hour campaign on hard mode, I only died ten times. This game is not nearly as difficult as everyone says it is. I'm even going as far to say that they're just bad at stealth games in general.

Overall, the game is fantastic. It more than makes up for SEGA’s previous Alien game, and if you’re a hardcore Alien fan, this is the game you've been hoping for. If you're not a fan of horror, are impatient, or don't like stealth focused games, you should probably avoid this title, as you'll either grow impatient or turn bitter after dying so much. Still, this game is absolutely amazing, and an experience I don't regret.
  46. Apr 30, 2015
    A true next gen title. Looks amazing, sounds amazing, and tells a story worthy of a hollywood blockbuster.
    Alien fans get all the fan service they're looking for here, and more. The Alien itself is truly frightening, and really does feel alive, almost as if its being controlled by a human player. The best AI I've encountered anywhere.
    Its not an easy game, and does require patience, but
    Its not an easy game, and does require patience, but an experience and tense as this, is not to be missed.
  47. Jul 28, 2015
    Truly the greatest game I have ever played! If you choose to lose yourself in the atmosphere, it will take you right into the heart of the alien universe. Every step is an achievement as you cautiously follow the path from start to finish from one glorious save point to the next, unaware of the terror that awaits the next turn.

A great story to add to the movie franchise and plays

A great story to add to the movie franchise and plays mostly on the suspense of the first film. It does have its action points too which break up the pattern nicely when needed. These are not of any fps standard by any means but that's not really what it's all about.

For those like me, fed up of the open world games, spending hours achieving very little on side missions, it sets the stage in a linear design with a more direct story driven approach. For me, this classic format triumphs every time in holding my attention, maybe not for you if you prefer your freedom to roam, though there is still plenty opportunity to search areas for items and build your weapons cache.

Some say the game is too long, some mock the alien... All I can say is that beginning to end, I immersed myself in the surroundings and used my imagination to bring the game to me and didn't stop to even think about any negatives. Neither did I feel I was let down by either of these points anyway.

Remember, you're playing for fun right? After all, surely that's what great storytelling and game design is all about? This title has all of this for sure.
  48. Oct 10, 2014
    My initial expectations of this game being shaped by reviews on some of the bigger game review sites, this game is far better than I had expected.

There is nothing new to this game that you haven't seen in other horror survival games. Alien Isolation borrows play mechanics from other titles such as the Last of Us, Dead Space, and Bioshock, and sets those playable elements in the Alien(s) story. That's fine, because it works in this game, too. Just don't go into this game expecting original gameplay; instead, just enjoy this game.

But even though the gameplay isn't groundbreaking, the game is woven well enough into the character's plot and most things make sense. And while I've read some complaints about the Average Joe synthetics, I did not find them to be surprising or a disconnecting story issue. They are introduced appropriately and gameplay isn't jarred by them.

What I really like is that the game doesn't try to hold your hand all the way through the experience. There are times when a character will provide guidance but you can usually explore the station somewhat freely and not follow any objectives in order. You can also quickly get yourself in trouble. Oh, and the developers presented the Aliens setting extremely well.

I had also expected the Alien to constantly hound me through the game but that's not exactly true. (Maybe that was my incorrect impression of the game based on reviews.) While there are trigger events that bring the Alien into gameplay, the game plays out a story that involves other NPCs and threats, such as the Average Joes (synthetics). You are not left flat with just a cat and mouse game with the Alien.

So despite the somewhat overdone gameplay, I am having fun playing Alien Isolation. I bought this title wanting to have an enjoyable Alien experience. I believe I've finally found a game that does this.
  49. Oct 28, 2014
    Want to give the game an 8.5 but can't so rounded up to 9. Completed the game and spent some time with the time trial missions. Enjoyed the story and the atmosphere. Graphics and attention to detail were pretty good. There was some frame rate issues with some of the cut scenes and a a few action sequences but not enough to ruin the mood.
    The alien AI is good but not great. Sometimes
    The alien AI is good but not great. Sometimes it can't see me as we circle a tool cart and other times it is quick to find you if you make your presence known. The tool building/weapon selection wheel is ok, but can be a pain if you need to switch to something else quickly while in battle. Voice work is well done and Sigourney Weaver sounds pretty similar to 1980's self.
    If you're an Alien fan that likes stealth and tactics games then there is a chance you'll enjoy this. This game is not for everyone, and could've been a couple hours shorter without a few extra missions thrown in for padding. For those who don't finish the game you're missing out on some of the better plot lines and levels. Its at least worth a rental for those who are curious.
  50. Oct 11, 2014
    I have been playing this for many hours now and it is amazing. The alien is freaking me out! I watched the first alien movie today and it was really cool to see what they have used from the film in the game. The sound in Alien Isolation is really cool, as it was in the movie. I like that you can't save when ever you like (no autosave), you have to find a station to save at. It makes itI have been playing this for many hours now and it is amazing. The alien is freaking me out! I watched the first alien movie today and it was really cool to see what they have used from the film in the game. The sound in Alien Isolation is really cool, as it was in the movie. I like that you can't save when ever you like (no autosave), you have to find a station to save at. It makes it more tense and you don't want to die.. because then you have to repeat some stuff. I'm really glad they did it this way! This way I'm really careful when trying to sneak away from the alien. Story is good, same for gameplay. From crafting stuff to fun mechanics. 10/10 from me! Must buy! :) Expand
  51. Oct 9, 2014
    Have been playing this with headphones at night in completely darkness and what an amazing game. I'm big Alien fan and this is that game what I have always been wanted to been made from the Alien movies.
    It's for sure, that Isolation isn't for everyone, but if you're familiar with the movies you have to try this out.

Greetings from Finland.
  52. Nov 23, 2014
    Incredibly bold game. I'm not especially fond of the horror/survival genre but this game is an experience that can't be missed.

It prefectly captures the atmosphere of the first Alien film. At times it can be a slog through sections that demand replay after replay but the presentation of the game more than makes up for it's shortcomings. It gives me hope for other licensed titles due out in the near future.
  53. Oct 15, 2014
    This game is great and truly gives the scares. The ai is so good and is done randomly. The game is pretty hard too. The voice acting is average at best and the cutscenes are just meh. The gameplay is great though. Creative Assembly have really done a great job.
  54. Oct 23, 2014
    True Survival Horror is back. I cannot stress enough how much of a breath of fresh air this game is. After being so disappointed with Resident Evil 6 I was very much looking forward to both Alien Isolation and The Evil Within. Both games have delivered on their promises in my opinion but Alien Isolation stands out as what I feel is the first true "next-gen" survival horror experience.True Survival Horror is back. I cannot stress enough how much of a breath of fresh air this game is. After being so disappointed with Resident Evil 6 I was very much looking forward to both Alien Isolation and The Evil Within. Both games have delivered on their promises in my opinion but Alien Isolation stands out as what I feel is the first true "next-gen" survival horror experience.

Survival horror franchises have devolved in the last few years to being more akin to an action movie than their roots as slow-burn high tension horror experiences. Resident Evil in particular has changed from a game about surviving what seem like insurmountable odds to putting you in control of a player who is basically the unstoppable hero of a Hollywood sci-fi action blockbuster. Where Alien Isolation's brilliance shines through is in just how much emphasis the developers put on the "survival" aspect of survival horror. For the majority of the game, when you are seen by the titular Alien it equates to instant death. Even after acquiring the flamethrower later in the game you are only given a few seconds of respite before the Alien returns to hunt you. The gameplay consists of a cat-and-mouse scenario by which you are constantly avoiding confrontation with the Alien and human looters trapped on the Sevastopol space station. The sound design and lighting contribute to a feeling of tension and, well, isolation that are unlike anything I've ever experienced in a game before. The human and android enemies that are still populating the station are hostile but the game gives you plenty of creative ways to use them to your advantage to distract the Alien and progress to the next area. One of my favorite moments in gaming in recent years has been the joint sensation of maniacal joy and terror as I threw a noisemaker into a group of looters and watched from a locker as the Alien ripped open their chest cavities and chased the remaining looter down a hallway only to later hear his cries for help and screams of terror. It's macabre, but ultimately the game is about putting your survival before anyone else's.

Speaking of the lighting and sound design, the A/V aspects of this game are beautiful. I've played it on PS4 and seen the footage of it running on a high-end PC and the current-gen consoles do the game a lot of justice. My one gripe with the performance of the game is that during the cinematic sequences there's a lot of frame rate dipping which causes the video to look staggered and the audio to not quite sync up with the lip movements.however that being said, this may be an issue with just the console version of the game. Other than that, the game pays a loving tribute to one of the greatest sci-fi/horror films of all time. Costumes, lighting, smoke/fog, environments, even the "future" MS-DOS looking computer terminals have all been created by an attentive reference to the source material.

This game is built towards a very specific kind of gamer and if you respect and master the mechanics you will be rewarded with one of the greatest experiences of any console generation. Helpful tip: don't be afraid to use your motion tracker.
  55. Jul 8, 2015
    Alien: Isolation is a game that is a must for a any fan of the Alien fiction. The production values and attention to detail in terms of the original film are fantastic. This could easily have been the sequel to the first movie. The Alien itself is terrifying yet fantastically detailed and creates tension throughout the whole experience. Honestly, technologically the game is brilliant,Alien: Isolation is a game that is a must for a any fan of the Alien fiction. The production values and attention to detail in terms of the original film are fantastic. This could easily have been the sequel to the first movie. The Alien itself is terrifying yet fantastically detailed and creates tension throughout the whole experience. Honestly, technologically the game is brilliant, especially the sound. However, I still can't get myself to give the game a straight 10 for a few design issues, namely the spacing of the save points and ultimately too much exposure to the Alien.

At first I almost hung up the game completely out of frustration. I died a lot during the first main Alien encounter and had to restart countless times. There was a lot of trial and error and many things I didn't understand. I got killed hiding in lockers too petrified to move for fear of having to reload again. The Alien seemed to just be everywhere and I had no chance but get my brains pushed out the back of my head over and over and over again. I nearly quit the game at this point, but boy am I glad I stuck with it.

I gradually came to see the genius of the save system. Without it I would not learn how to survive against the Alien, since I would have nothing to lose if I could just reload wherever. I realized that I started adapting and learning the nuances of how the Alien moved and sensed. I was learning how to survive against it and gradually started to make it further and further on every attempt. I really needed to be aware of how the level was laid out to understand where the Alien was lurking. The sound cues are amazingly well done and after a while everything becomes second nature. The game strikes a perfect balance between the tension of getting caught and the thrill of pulling off a risky move to get through a room and to (relative) safety. Mix in some human enemies and the game really took off as I watched the Alien rip some poor shmo to shreds while cowering under an operating table. Reloading was no longer such a pain since I was learning how to swiftly move through a level with carefully calculated risks and shrewd use of gadgets. Basically, if you stick with the game long enough, you will eventually "get" it and it becomes quite enjoyable.

In the end though, there is just too much Alien and too much sneaking around. You end up seeing the Alien so much that it just kind of loses it's terrifying nature. When you eventually get your hands on a certain weapon later on the Alien becomes more of a nuisance than a real threat, although it will still surprise you every now and then. Simply put, the game is too long and It has too much backtracking and sneaking around non stop. Objectives are essentially the same as you need to trek through a long level to get some thing in order to power some other thing back at the start of it. The whole time the Alien is prowling around but at this point you'll have it completely fooled.They needed to change it up a bit further along in the game. It got to the point where I was just racing to the end to finish the story.

The sum it all up, this certainly a great Alien game first and foremost, but also a really solid survival horror game, at least in the very early parts. The Alien starts out as an absolutely terrifying antagonist and then sort of loses it's luster form overuse by the developers. Still, a solid 8 out of 10 for the technical achievement and definitely the best Alien game ever!
  56. Dec 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first thing that grabs you is the presentation and attention to detail, then the atmosphere and pants soiling intensity of the sound design really puts you into the game, the first few hours had me impressed and gleefully terrified, this only ramped up when Sevastopol's guest made an appearance. Overall, Alien:Isolation is a stellar survival sci-fi game with an excellent not over the top smattering of horror. Tension is the name of the game and its delivered in spades.
    There were a couple of sequences which degenerated into shooter territory that had me worried if not annoyed until I figured out how to use stealth to my advantage, the game gives you more than a few options in that regard.
    Many complain the game was too long but that's not strictly true unless you burn out on it by playing too long a session. The Xenomorph is a true delight, unpredictable, deadly and bloody clever at higher difficulties. The other foes you face range from creepy to occasionally annoying, but it depends on your approach. This is a game for patient, slow and careful play, you CANNOT blaze through this game unless you intend to die a hell of a lot.

My only criticism was that in some instances I would have liked to spend a little more time with the supporting cast.Amanda is a great protagonist to play and I really connected with her felt for her plight, but I feel we could havhad some more development in other characters too, instead there is s tantalising glimpse of them but maybe that was by design.

Bugs were mostly in the cutscenes initially but this has since been rectified and wasn't quite as intrusive as presented as the cutscenes generally didn't happen that often and the majority of the story is nicely told during gameplay, I only encountered one crash through 2 playthroughs.

For fans of Survival horror, the Alien franchise, science fiction done right and great atmosphere, Alien: Isolation is my Game of the Year and an exceptional entry in the Alien Saga.
  57. Oct 14, 2014
    Brilliant game. Unique, fustratiing and addictive.

Perfects Sci Fi in a game that is not all about; Kill 5 grunts, proceed through a door and repeat.

More respectul to the original film than any of the sequals that have followed and deserving of your time.

You will die alot, you will get stressed and sweat; but your meant to. The game is hard, but always fair.
  58. Oct 23, 2014
    This is a fantastic game that Alien fans have been waiting for. Creative Assembly have done a brilliant job in reviving Alien franchise and I really do hope they create a sequel in the future.

Pros - . Scary atmosphere, the brilliantly crafted Sevastopol Station creates a tense experience throughout the lengthy story. . The sound design is also great, the soundtrack really makes you

Pros -

. The sound design is also great, the soundtrack really makes you feel like this game was influenced by the 1979 Alien movie.
    . Alien AI is completely non scripted which makes for some extremely tense moments.

Cons -
    . The cut-scenes seem to lag quite a lot and the lip syncing is very bad.
    . Using the map pauses the game and breaks immersion (minor con).
    . The survival mode, while great, is largely locked behind a pay wall.
  59. Oct 23, 2014
    With the sting of Colonial Marines still fresh in my mind, I approached this game with cautious optimism. Happily though, it has turned out to be a marvelous game that has truly captured the genius of Ridley Scott's initial movie.

If you love the first and second alien movies, this game will be a rewarding and artfully crafted universe that is as dark as it is beautiful. The game manages to pay homage to the source material in so many ways while also building in its own nuances.

If you think of this game as a stealth game, you would be mostly right. Instead, it might be best to think of it as a survival simulator. This is no exaggeration. The level of difficulty in avoiding the alien is matched by the feeling of relief when you manage to escape to a new area.

If you play nothing but fast action paced games where you have 10 guns and a sense of invulnerability, do not pick of this game -- its not for you. This is a game for people who want to be terrified, want to have a true challenge, and most of all -- love the alien universe.
  60. Nov 4, 2014
    solid game, great sound effects create some very tense moments specially if playing at the hardest level... lot of nice details from the movie. if you are a big fan of the movie don't miss this game...
  61. Nov 22, 2014
    This game is so pretty, with such a high level of attention to detail and design, that it should win award for graphics alone. As a game it's not perfect but a lot of fun, creepy and full of jumps and tension and fight or flight moments. If you loved the original movie you'll be drawn into this game straight away.
  62. Nov 26, 2014
    Alien isolation es un juego con un gameplay mas ambientado al sigilo y a la tension, si estas buscando un juego de disparos aquí no lo encontraras, el alien es rápido e impredecible hay una gran variedad de herramientas que sirven de gran ayuda al jugador,es un juego bastante desafiante en altas dificultades, tiene un gran apartado visual y una historia bastante decente es el juego deAlien isolation es un juego con un gameplay mas ambientado al sigilo y a la tension, si estas buscando un juego de disparos aquí no lo encontraras, el alien es rápido e impredecible hay una gran variedad de herramientas que sirven de gran ayuda al jugador,es un juego bastante desafiante en altas dificultades, tiene un gran apartado visual y una historia bastante decente es el juego de Aliens que habíamos estado esperando Expand
  63. Dec 18, 2014
    A sci fi-horror game faithful to its movie counterpart, dripping with creepy atmosphere, constant suspense, and retro-futuristic scenery. This game has all the chest pounding (and bursting) that you could possibly endure. The tension I experienced while playing it for the first time, tiptoeing around and hearing my friend shout "look out!," could never be recreated. Cowering in a locker,A sci fi-horror game faithful to its movie counterpart, dripping with creepy atmosphere, constant suspense, and retro-futuristic scenery. This game has all the chest pounding (and bursting) that you could possibly endure. The tension I experienced while playing it for the first time, tiptoeing around and hearing my friend shout "look out!," could never be recreated. Cowering in a locker, climbing into a vent, hearing a save station beep when you're defenseless and you can hear the hiss of the Alien-- these are memories I will never forget. If played on a normal or hard difficulty, Alien: Isolation has the feeling of an old-school game: it doesn't hold your hand, the enemy is truly powerful, and the only way to survive is through quick thinking and luck.

Also, the Xenomorph AI is actually incredible. The Alien will learn your typical mode of escape -- and adapt. A perfect organism indeed.
  64. Nov 18, 2015
    After playing the horrendous Colonial Marines, I was very skeptical about this game. But I'm glad to have been proved wrong. Although there were some levels that seem to drag a bit too long, Alien Isolation restored my faith in the Alien series. The gameplay is genuinely creepy. I'm happy to report that the Alien is scary again!!!!
  65. Jan 31, 2016
    Alien Isolation is exactly what the Alien franchise needed after the terrible Alien vs Predator games and the awful Colonial Marines. The whole game, you're running away from something you can't hide from or fight against, and the Xenomorph's AI is very unpredictable. What you get is a finely polished horror experience, that gives us what Colonial Marines should have given us. The graphicAlien Isolation is exactly what the Alien franchise needed after the terrible Alien vs Predator games and the awful Colonial Marines. The whole game, you're running away from something you can't hide from or fight against, and the Xenomorph's AI is very unpredictable. What you get is a finely polished horror experience, that gives us what Colonial Marines should have given us. The graphic are also amazing, giving everything finely tuned details, that make you think that you're inside the movies. I do have a couple of problems though. Halfway through the game, the sense of tension goes away, and never comes back, which is sad. Apart from that, Alien Isolation is an overall solid Alien game that you should definitely pick up. Expand
  66. Mar 31, 2015
    True to the original film an absolute joy to play. Great story with very tense moments which will have u hiding behind your controller. A must buy!!!!
  67. Jun 11, 2015
    This game is one of the best this generation, I can't believe how much this game was overlooked with critics and users, it has a very small but dedicated fanbase and I am proud to say I am one of them, this game exceeded every expecation I had for this game, it was simply unbelievable and should be praised a lot more, anyone who is a fan of Ridley's classic will love this, 10/10
  68. Aug 8, 2015
    I almost gave up on this game.

I only purchased this title because of the strong reviews, and through some odd disconnect in my brain I didn’t clue into the fact that I didn’t much care for the 1979 film or survival horror games in general. The first few missions did nothing to alleviate my concerns, either. The opening chapter was rather abrupt, not much in the way of introduction
    I almost gave up on this game.

The first few missions did nothing to alleviate my concerns, either. The opening chapter was rather abrupt, not much in the way of introduction to the characters or the situation before you were thrust into the thick of things. The dialogue wasn’t particularly noteworthy, the graphics were solid (if a little plastic-y), the cutscenes choppy and stiff, even the plot elements were tired and an obvious rehash of Alien stories gone before. It didn’t help that I saw Dan Abnett’s name in the credits, a comic book writer whose work has never appealed to me. After the first couple of the hours, the game became a chore to play and the only reason why I continued was because I had already spent $40 on it, and also because I had a walkthrough that guided me through every step of the way.

Then came the first cat-and-mouse scene with the Alien and I was hooked. I think this might be the first game I’ve played where you are essentially powerless. You can never actually kill or even harm the creature; even when you acquire the flamethrower and more powerful IED’s, at best you can only temporarily distract it. I’m used to playing invincible, genocidal powerhouses, so this was an exciting and exotic feeling for me. It was also rather novel that the noise from running and even the light from your torch can alert an enemy to your presence; combine that with the first-person gameplay and it almost feels like this is all happening to you, not you’re avatar Amanda Ripley.

From that point on, my enjoyment and appreciation for the game only grew. The story still isn’t strong enough to stand on its own; without the gameplay, I’m not sure this would be anything but a blatant and someone unimaginative rehash of the first movie. And if you break down the gameplay, it’s rather mundane; throughout the entire game, all you do is go from one end of the space station to the other flipping switches, pressing buttons and taking out the occasional android.

Regardless of that, somehow I’m still impressed by how enjoyable the game is. There isn’t one particular aspect or feature that I could point out as the key to what I liked. Rather, all of the little bits and pieces that went into this title (which I’m sure was the result of a very extensive and exhaustive production period) add up to a unique but very exhilarating package. I still used the walkthrough for the remainder of the game, but only because I’m somewhat OCD and didn’t want to miss any of the audio recorders or ID tags.

Still, it doesn’t quite work as a horror game (if that was the intention). The scariest part of the game for me was the initial mission when you first arrive at Sevastopol, before you encounter any humans, androids or aliens. It seemed like every step you took, no matter how carefully, no matter if you were standing or crouched, made an unbelievable amount of noise and I was terrified that something would leap out and devour me. The silence was deafening; before I understood the rules of the game and how it worked, anything was possible—especially since I hadn’t seen the alien yet and didn’t know what form interactions or combat with it would take. All I heard were constant creaks and buckles, hinting at the danger that lurked just out of view.

But, as soon as I reached a corridor and someone ran across a hallway in front of me in a very obviously scripted “jump scare” bit of programming, the game stopped being scary. Sure, it was still intense at times, especially when I was hiding from the alien, sneaking behind tables and crates for minutes at a time. But if it did finally catch me, it was more frustrating than frightening, mostly because I’d have to start again from my last manual save (having no automatic checkpoints was a nice touch).

It also didn’t help matters that while the AI was certainly better than most games, it still had some glaring flaws. The fact that I could be crouched only a couple of feet from a passing android or alien and it STILL wouldn’t see me (and this was on HARD difficult), when in real life I would’ve been easily detected by peripheral vision sort of broke the immersion.

Overall, this was one of the better experiences I’ve had on the new generation of consoles. I finally took the plunge and bought a PS4 last October (coincidentally, around the same time this game came out), and this is only the second game I’ve played that’s made me think I made a wise investment (the other, of course, being The Witcher 3). If, like me, you’re tired of what has so far been an unremarkable couple of years for games, you should give this game a shot. It takes a little while to get going before it sucks you in, but once it does be prepared for one hell of a ride.
  69. Nov 15, 2015
    This is quite possibly the most stressful game I have ever played. Playing through on Hard mode the first go, it's taken me 10 months on-and-off playing this game. The atmosphere in the game is top-notch, the gameplay is incredibly solid and the music brings everything together in a cacophony of fear, uneasiness and angst.
  70. Dec 7, 2015
    The story mode is interesting, and the game play cool, but repetitive. There's no online mode, but a Survive Mode. But we have to play if we want to play other modes and maps.
  71. Nov 14, 2016
    Arguably the best in survival horror, drenched in tension, fear and excitement. The game isn't designed for gun-ho gamers running around shooting everything so be warned, you must treat this as if you were actually there! Slow, steady and very quiet. Most of the time you feel helpless as you can not attack or defend very well and the Alien is an instakill - but be patient, weapons comeArguably the best in survival horror, drenched in tension, fear and excitement. The game isn't designed for gun-ho gamers running around shooting everything so be warned, you must treat this as if you were actually there! Slow, steady and very quiet. Most of the time you feel helpless as you can not attack or defend very well and the Alien is an instakill - but be patient, weapons come slowly and by the end youll feel fairly confident you can keep yourself alive no matter what the situation. Top of the line graphics and audio recordings just help make this thee best survival horror around and arguably one of the best ever. More please. Expand
  72. Dec 12, 2016
    Story - The game is the direct sequel from the critically acclaimed 1979 Aliens in which Amanda Ripley, daughter of the movie heroine Ellen Ripley, is on her quest to find the whereabouts of her mother and know what happened to her. This leads her to the decrepit and mad place of Sevastapool of which is full of desperate and aggresive individuals trying to survive and the dangerousStory - The game is the direct sequel from the critically acclaimed 1979 Aliens in which Amanda Ripley, daughter of the movie heroine Ellen Ripley, is on her quest to find the whereabouts of her mother and know what happened to her. This leads her to the decrepit and mad place of Sevastapool of which is full of desperate and aggresive individuals trying to survive and the dangerous xenomorph which is the titular alien in the game. The story for me is really average at most and the characters tbh, are forgettable and no one really gave me that emotional impact to feel bad when they die. Overall, it is your typical survival horro storyline with really no new things to show you. A fair score of 5/10

Gameplay - The gameplay can be two ways depending on your enemy, if you are against humans or working joe's you can either play stealthily or play aggressive against them. However, playing stealthily is your only choice when you are up against the xenomorph since that thing is almost untouchable and invincible. guns are useless against it though you can use fire to scare it away. Overall, I really loved the AI of the xenomorph, in fact, it is the most advanced AI i have ever encountered in all my gaming experience, it will adjust to your playstyle, will look on places you usually hide from and will ambush you and trap on some parts of the game, it is masterpiece level of advanced AI mechanic. I really loved it that it gave me the greatest of my scary and uneasy moment ingame. However, the cons of the games occurs on the second half of it when you are up against the working joe, the game will turn from a stealth game to a shooter/action game. Of which despite the aggresiveness of the joe's i never really felt interested in that part of the game. A score of 8/10.

Graphics - As to the environment, i really loved it. From the narrow corridors, the smoke coming out of the pipes, the numerous tubes you see, the destroyed surrounding. etc. is spot on and gives you that scary and uneasy feeling you should feel in a horror game whether or not enemies are around the corner. The xenomorph design is also detailed and really put their effort in gving it life. My issues in the game is the facial expression of the characters though, they look like they have no emotion whatsoever, Amanda Ripley in cutscenes you wont know if she's scared, worried or angry if you look at her face. Everyone in the game looks like a robot without much face movement. Still though, a good score of 8/10 will do.

Music and Sound - Out of all horror games i played, this game has the most haunting soundtrack i have ever experienced. I cant stop my heart beating from the loud music that plays when the alien is around and looking for you and in timed sections in the game. It also has some haunting music in dark areas in which you are alone and exploring. As to the sound, Voice acting is average if not good. while the sudden loud sound is good and the xenomorph's screams when it saw you is shocking at times. Really a good sound and music system to give you that horror experience. A score of 9/10

Overall score = 7.5

Creative Assembly really put a good effort of making this game. It is haunting, scary and will give you that adrenaline rush in pressuring parts of the game. It needs some improvements, but overall, it is a really good horror game out there that deserves your attention. I was dissapointed when IGN and even Gamespot gave this game bad review of which it doesnt deserves thats why bad sales came to its way. I hope there is still a chance for this game to continue since i enjoy to play it.
  73. May 29, 2017
    Alien: Isolation delivers a unique, memorable and technically impeccable survival horror experience that does the revered Alien franchise proud. It perfectly captures the essence of the original film but also transforms its formula into something new and smart that feels like a natural evolution. The game's incredible atmosphere, sound design, setting, and mechanics make you feelAlien: Isolation delivers a unique, memorable and technically impeccable survival horror experience that does the revered Alien franchise proud. It perfectly captures the essence of the original film but also transforms its formula into something new and smart that feels like a natural evolution. The game's incredible atmosphere, sound design, setting, and mechanics make you feel vulnerable and build tension masterfully, but it also gives you power and capability as you progress, rewarding your hardship and fuelling your determination to survive. It cleverly builds on the Alien universe's lore and its narrative and characters fit in well whilst moving in a compelling new direction. The Alien itself is the game's star. its design is faithful to Giger's original, and its behaviour is well conceived and unscripted (for the most part), making it unpredictable and deadly. The game has breathed new life into the Alien and its AI is the best I've experienced in a game which keeps things interesting and intense. My only criticisms are that some of the tasks you must complete to progress can get repetitive and a bit of backtracking is involved when navigating. The single player story is long, intense, and full of twists and survivor mode offers a complementary, stand-alone experience with tons of replay value. Bravo Creative Assembly! Expand
  74. Oct 7, 2014
    Just for the atmosphere and tension that exists in the game already deserves a 10 Few games can boast horrifying as this.
    Is flawed, I admit. But not at all overshadowing the quality of a title that has come on tiptoe without making much noise. This is not a AAA but that is why it deserves all my love.
  75. Oct 9, 2014
    Critics or gamers who try to down play what these developers have done are clueless. This is one of the bravest and boldest games to come out that I can ever remember. Not perfect. But incredibly entertaining and unquestionably faithful to the source material. Unscripted events abound in this game. Whether it's the alien hunting you, or you battling it out with other survivors or theCritics or gamers who try to down play what these developers have done are clueless. This is one of the bravest and boldest games to come out that I can ever remember. Not perfect. But incredibly entertaining and unquestionably faithful to the source material. Unscripted events abound in this game. Whether it's the alien hunting you, or you battling it out with other survivors or the alien turning those same survivors into kibble thanks to a confrontation you engineered.....it's simply amazing. And scary. Holy hell is it scary.
    People who claim its too frustrating or that they died too many times....this isn't the genre for you. And you're not playing properly. Sorry. You're not. I've died. But never to the point that it's frustrating. Careful, considered gameplay pays off.
    People who whinge that you can't fight back.....sorry, you're wrong too. Unless shooting, braining, or burning androids and human adversaries doesn't count. It's simply that you need to consider whether the risk is worth that approach. And understanding that Amanda Ripley is not "Master Chief."
    The AI does not cheat. The AI simply doesn't follow set routines. If you make noise, odds are it will investigate. If there's no reason to think you couldn't have left a corner of the map, that SOB will look for you with will and a purpose. You just need to figure a way out.
    The length is fine. Could it have been trimmed a little? Sure. But it's never tedious. And frankly, I enjoyed every minute...every image..every sound. It's like you're in the flipping Alien universe. All that's missing are the smells.
    Replayability? Yep. Survivor mode is awesome for a quick fix. They'll be adding to it as part of the season pass (yes, season passes are separate discussion but I think this one will be worth it). And even with the campaign, understand that outside of a few set events the alien will never be in the same place, never act exactly the same way every time you play. Items are in different locations. There are not guarantees. Hell, I'll play again to see just how far I can get without dying.
    If you're a fan of the franchise or horror games, period, you need to pick this up.
  76. Oct 27, 2014
    This game is a prime example of a very good game that is simply bloated and loses some of its appeal after a while. The first several hours (5-6) are very entertaining. You are playing hide and seek with the alien, and whenever he shows up, your heart will jump in your throat. It will be a tense experience. Unfortunately, this is the whole mechanic the game is based on, and the fact thatThis game is a prime example of a very good game that is simply bloated and loses some of its appeal after a while. The first several hours (5-6) are very entertaining. You are playing hide and seek with the alien, and whenever he shows up, your heart will jump in your throat. It will be a tense experience. Unfortunately, this is the whole mechanic the game is based on, and the fact that they expanded it into approximately 15 hours of gameplay, is kind of silly. The game just started to drag, and I lost the sense of tension, and the sense of suspense, as it gave way to frustration and tedium. There are a lot of instant death situations that you will be put into that are, well, nearly unavoidable. The game is challenging, yeah, and I like challenging games, but not this kind of challenging, this is the trial-and-error kind of challenging. The encounters with the androids are kind of daft too, as the game isn't really built to be a first person shooter but they needed to add some variety into a long game of hide and seek.

However, the game's presentation is fantastic. It really nails the vibe of the first Alien movie as the art direction, sound design, and lighting are spot on. Overall, it is a great game, but it's a chore to finish it. If they have another bash at this, I really hope they get the pacing right next time.
  77. Oct 7, 2014
    Absolutely strunning,just like the movie.
    The best Alien game I have ever played.
    Just try it bros it's awesome! :)
    Hihetetlen hangulata van és teljesen a Bolygó neve halál feelinget hozza a játék.
    A legjobb Alien game amivel valaha is játszottam.
    Végre! :)
  78. Oct 7, 2014
    If it has a Alien game so far managed to bring the atmosphere and the subtle horror of the first Alien movie is over, then that is certainly Alien: isolation. To be delivered, the helplessness and the constant feeling captivate us even in quiet passages and provide pass for voltage. The fact that behind every door and around every corner death could be waiting for us, offers exactly thisIf it has a Alien game so far managed to bring the atmosphere and the subtle horror of the first Alien movie is over, then that is certainly Alien: isolation. To be delivered, the helplessness and the constant feeling captivate us even in quiet passages and provide pass for voltage. The fact that behind every door and around every corner death could be waiting for us, offers exactly this kind of horror that made the first Alien movie so famous. Fans would appreciate any more aliens, but are likely to feel comforted by the neat fabulous atmosphere. Who's afraid of the dark and prefer to defend against opponents rather than avoid them, should avoid this item. Horror enthusiasts can with Alien: nothing wrong isolation. Expand
  79. Dec 15, 2014
    Love hide and seek when you were a kid? I loved it and still play it with my son. This game is well done. The action is not much, but the stealth and suspense/horror I believe makes up for it. Enjoy this and the Evil Within as much as you can cause we probably won't play good horror games like this for a while.
  80. Oct 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a great genre firstly and I want developers to keep pushing it. As others have said this is the best Alien game yet. We're moving in the right direction people! The game has many intense moments, maybe too many. You are constantly stressed which can be good or bad. The sets are amazing. Sound effects great too. The alien truly is scary. It's not a short game, but this is also the CON of others. Might be too long for the repetitious nature of it. Lots of lever pulling, button pushing, door hacking and other gadget use. It's ok I guess, that future has lots of those things.

The one thing that stood out to me most throughout the game (as an Alien lover) is that they seemed to avoid (or dropped the ball) on using the original music and ambient music from the movie more. You hear it in spotty places, but they really missed an opportunity to use the various score elements throughout the game. This was an easy thing to do that for some reason didn't happen. have to dock a point for that.

This is mainly a 3D version of a age old text game called "Wumpus!" Those of you old enough to know what that means, bravo! It's primarily sneaking and hiding. Engaging in combat with anything usually ends in tears. Which is a shame. It should be a bit more rewarding to defend yourself and kill things. The androids? I don't know what to say....they are all virtually terminators....scary....yet annoying....

The plot is kind of weak moving from this to that....without much of an arch. You solve one problem after another in this game and those problems have sub-problems and so on. Most of the time you seem to be moving backward from your goal. Stressful. Frustrating. But I suppose that's the point.

Accomplishing a goal is not all that rewarding. They could have done something cool with the music to make it a bit more enjoyable, but progressing through the game is satisfactory given the difficulty level.

Yes, the Alien is all-seeing, all-knowing. It knows where you are going and is already there skulking around looking for you. While I see the need for this, it breaks immersion some. If there are more than one Alien, then why not make it possible to kill one? That would be more interesting and give us some breathing room to accomplish other tasks.

SPOILER:
    You spend the first 30% of the game risking life and limb to find a medpack for a wounded person you just met at the beginning of the game only for them to die later....but why????

There are a lot of novelties in this game used in other games. voice recorders (bioshock), terminals (fallout), etc. That's ok I guess. It fits the setting.

Anyway, despite its shortcomings, misfires, overlooks and lifted memes, its still fun and makes you want to finish it for the sake of it. let's hope future Alien games keep moving the bar forward.
  81. Dec 2, 2014
    First off please disregard the first day reviews if you have any sense of intelligence. The game is well presented in many ways. The atmosphere, sound, intuitive AI just to name a few. In my opinion this is a must buy for an Alien fan or a fan of adventure, horror and sneaking around. I applaud the devs for making a truly amazing IP.
  82. Nov 13, 2014
    Move over Lara Craft this female protagonist sets the bar high in terms of ace voice acting and flawless willpower, that aside minus the horrible lip sync, character animations and an overblown spectacle in the last few missions Alien Isolation is a step in the right direction with breathless atmospheres, a chilling horrific alien (which i never lost my sense of scariness with evenMove over Lara Craft this female protagonist sets the bar high in terms of ace voice acting and flawless willpower, that aside minus the horrible lip sync, character animations and an overblown spectacle in the last few missions Alien Isolation is a step in the right direction with breathless atmospheres, a chilling horrific alien (which i never lost my sense of scariness with even throughout this long game) and a ton of meaningful tools that are required to progress throughout the game. (PS the non autosave function works perfectly with this game, i hope its a new trend in horror games) Expand
  83. Oct 11, 2014
    Now normally I can't play horror games as I get so drawn in to games that I jump at the simplest of games (I've been known to jump at games like Minecraft if caught off guard), but with my love for the Alien saga, I decided to give this game a go.

This game's setting is perfect, really captures the original movie perfectly and the gradual build up is amazing, you really get the feeling of something is wrong creep over you slowly after a while, whenever the lights go out you instantly panic and wonder what's going to happen, every slight movement really does get you.

My only issue with this game is the physics - for a game that did so much right it feels more like you're floating rather than walking and when you look down and see your feet, the last thing I expected was to see Ripley turn around as if she had a stick up her *** and was been turned on it.

But that really is a small issue (just don't look down) other than the odd frame rate drop there is very little wrong with this game. The main complaint I see is people saying save points are few and far between, that isn't the case, it's just finding the save point, clearly people who moan about that aren't exploring very much.

Love the Alien franchise? Get this game.

Love survival horror settings with the most bad*** hunter of them all chasing you? Get this game.

Looking for a quick fix game that you'll burn through in a few hours? This isn't that game, this game requires a lot of time and planning before making any moves otherwise game over and try again.
  84. Oct 7, 2014
    the game're very good, and well done the hard times.....did not have a game of alien so good, congratulations for sega could fulfill What had promised........
  85. Oct 24, 2014
    I loved this game! I am not a huge fan of horror/thriller games, mainly trying for my love of stealth.
    The music and scenes were simply amazing, the developers definitely hit the spot when trying to capture the essence of the first film. The corridors are dim, the computers reminiscent of the 70's view of the future and the fog and smoke finish of the unnerving atmosphere. Cue the alien.

All the elements combined make you think you are the first Ripley running around the Nostromo.

Although some may argue that the unpredictable AI is annoying and the Alien is not true to the original Xenomorph, it is one of those arguments of pure opinion.

While the AI can be annoying, there are many tools to use to make sure you can keep an eye on where it's at. Like listening to it in the vents above you, using your motion tracker and then the age old trick of keeping it in sight from afar. Another area of conjecture is how loud the alien is when it walks. Put it this way, if it wasn't loud you would die a hell of a lot more.
    Also, I love the way you can't run, it adds so much more suspense to any level. You have no option but to crawl, excruciatingly slowly, through the corridors, unsure of when the alien will jump out next, but sure that if you run, you are as good as gone. I will admit that is it slightly repetitive, but when the suspense never lets up you really don't even realise.

The only point lost was for the shocking save system, although it too adds to the suspense, it is impractical for a game like this, where you will most likely die 20 odd times throughout any single level.
  86. Oct 7, 2014
    Well, all I can say is that this game is a step in the right direction.. I wasn't too hyped for this game because of what they did to the last installment, but I felt like I had to buy it as an Alien fan..
    The atmosphere is just great, the sound is awesome. feels like a true horror experience with decent A.I for a change.., I could see non Alien fans really enjoying this game.. So why didn't I give it a 10?

Well... it's a step in the right direction for sure, and it is a great game, just at times I feel that the game can be "slow" I found that at times I had a hard time paying attention and I do not even have A.D.D, however once you start to get bored the "action" picks up again.. I also found a few bugs where I got stuck on a few things and couldn't move but I guess they will patch that.

Great game- 8.5
  87. Oct 21, 2014
    Thank you Sega and all those involved in making this game. If you loved the first 2 movies, especially the first then this game is a must play. This game is a true "survival horror" in the fullest sense of the term. This game truly is unlike any other game out there. If you buy it and go into it knowing that it requires a lot of patience and thought, and that its not a "action" game, thenThank you Sega and all those involved in making this game. If you loved the first 2 movies, especially the first then this game is a must play. This game is a true "survival horror" in the fullest sense of the term. This game truly is unlike any other game out there. If you buy it and go into it knowing that it requires a lot of patience and thought, and that its not a "action" game, then I think you'll enjoy it a great deal.

I did myself a favor and took the advice of a post on IGN and I watched the 1st film before playing it. I even watched the 2nd. That got me all primed to play this game. There are some technical bugs, but I'm giving this the 100% rating based off of how much I enjoyed the game. It has story, gameplay, and probably the best atmosphere that I've ever seen. I really hope they find a way to create a sequel and enhance gameplay features. (Like jumping over obstacles; it's pretty silly that there is an item behind a counter that anyone can hop over, but the game requires a keycard to the door accessing behind said counter.) I spent 30 hours in this game. It has a Metroid type feel to it, making the backtracking worth it. Not once did I feel like I was unnecessarily repeating a level. The dialogue and messages you can find scattered throughout the game really add to the experience, giving you a sense of a community going crazy.

All in all, if you like the movies and want a true survival horror feeling, there isn't another game out there that embodies what it would feel like being trapped in a relatively small habitat with man killing demon while trying to battle the elements, threats, and people trying to do the same as you... survive.
  88. Oct 15, 2014
    Alien: Isolation is at heart the closest recreation of Ridley Scotts original Alien movie. The atmosphere is just amazing, the Alien,truly frightening. The look and feel and the amount of detail that has been achieved in this game,pays true homage to the Alien universe.

Where Alien:Isolation stumbles is in its repetitive game-play and at times truly frustrating design. Where the Alien is at first truly terrifying,over time it becomes more of an annoyance and becomes a relief when its not around, simply because when its not around it means you wont die and have to repeat what just took you thirty minutes to achieve, simply due to the lack of save points.

Alien:Isolation is almost the Alien game we all have been waiting for.......almost.
  89. Oct 16, 2015
    This game is a love letter to the original Alien movie(s), far away from all the shooters Sega used to deliver with this franchise. Creative Assembly clearly loved the world created by Rydley Scott and wanted to stick to it, simply adding a new story and it gives a great Survival game.

First thing first technically the game is flawless, very good visuals at the time, specially the astonishing light effects which was so important when you're fighting for your own survival in a space station, the IA is also very good (the androids are more predictable, the alien is a true hunter) maybe even too good in the hardest mode where the alien seems to always know the room you are in (well at least this mode was really challenging), the sound is also excellent and a true provider of stress, like it should be in any good horror game.

The story is also a true selling point, it's generally this point that makes the difference between mindless gore and an engaging story that will make you care about all the horrors that you see, and with isolation even if it's clearly a mix of the 3 first movies with new characters, it's very well done with good voice overs. The campaign will hold your breath approximately 15 hours, which is a good average for a survival, even if I would have loved if they add some optional quests (others than collectibles) that would give you more resources/gear and extend the game.

Gameplay wise, the game is pretty simple: run, crouch, hide, collect resources, make an item (a few of them are truly useful), but effective, it would have be nice if there was more interactions with the decor, maybe in a sequel, but I don't have any big complains about it, it was very entertaining to play and it worked well.

Sega just said they weren't very hot for a sequel (even if it's without a doubt their best occidental game since years) due to sales that didn't match the expectations (without being a failure), I'll strongly advice them to continue with the " Isolation franchise" after years of bad games Alien finally regain some good publicity and hype, please build on that and more and more gamers will buy Alien games.
    And if you're reading this and still on the fence whether or not you should buy this game, my personal advice is : if you like survivals and/or Alien movies then YES, absolutely !
  90. Oct 19, 2014
    Survival Horror in an Alien shell. People are once again giving a game a negative score because they don't understand what they're playing. Once again, this is not Call of Duty with Alien. This is a survival horror game where the point is to survive. You will die multiple times. You will reload the game multiple times. We're going to see a lot of negative reviews in the future becauseSurvival Horror in an Alien shell. People are once again giving a game a negative score because they don't understand what they're playing. Once again, this is not Call of Duty with Alien. This is a survival horror game where the point is to survive. You will die multiple times. You will reload the game multiple times. We're going to see a lot of negative reviews in the future because gameplay will jump away form the CoD and GTA norms. Expand
  91. Nov 9, 2014
    I thought this was a very good game. Some of the negative reviews I've seen seem overly harsh and sometimes include misinformation (you are not done with the alien halfway though the game). In general, I think people need to understand that this is a stealth game requiring patience and caution; if you become reckless in your approach, you will be punished, much like the Souls games. IfI thought this was a very good game. Some of the negative reviews I've seen seem overly harsh and sometimes include misinformation (you are not done with the alien halfway though the game). In general, I think people need to understand that this is a stealth game requiring patience and caution; if you become reckless in your approach, you will be punished, much like the Souls games. If you're not into stealth, this game is not for you, probably even if you are a big Alien fan. It is also very challenging (I played on hard, so I don't know what the lower difficulties are like, though I'm not sure how much easier the game can be made) so keep that in mind.

In my view, the game nailed the atmosphere and mechanics of dealing with the alien, creating a tense, exhilarating experience. I don't recall another game that made my heart pound so much for such prolonged periods; I felt as though I really was trying to avoid being killed by an unstoppable monster. I found the game extremely immersive. Perhaps if someone is looking for a strictly fun game, this should be avoided until they are in the mood for this type of experience.

All in all, I would highly recommend this game to anyone looking for a challenging video game set in an immersive, atmospheric world, provided they enjoy stealth. I will likely play through again in the future.
  92. Oct 17, 2014
    This game does some things very well and others... not so well.

I'll begin with the positives. The graphics & atmosphere are amazing. With regards to creating a place that you could believe was real this is up there with Bioshock. The problem is the Alien. While at first it creates tense moments it soon becomes more of a pain. For something that is meant to be roaming a massive space
    This game does some things very well and others... not so well.

While at first it creates tense moments it soon becomes more of a pain. For something that is meant to be roaming a massive space when its on you, its on you like glue. It can disappear through a door at the end of the corridor then fall from the ceiling right above you. You can ride trains to new locations for it to be there ready to kill you on arrival.Fair enough its an alien and how do I know how it would behave but its almost like you're a dog on a lead and its never far away from you.

You will die a LOT. While fun at the start as you curse yourself for walking under than ceiling vent without thinking it might be there after the 10th time you'll be annoyed, After the 50th you'll be ready to give up. At this point its not scary, its annoying.

To give them credit they tried something new and brave here and they almost pulled it off, I'm not sure how things could be fixed, its almost like they came up with a good idea without the knowledge of how it would actually work.
  93. Oct 16, 2014
    This game is all about hiding, patience and feeling helpless. This is true horror at it's best, and people who complain about Alien: Isolation being to hard and slow paced, look at the genre again. The game has that perfect original Alien feeling that is a true must-have for all Alien-fans. Some have complained that the game is to hard at Normal. I played it with difficulty set to Hard,This game is all about hiding, patience and feeling helpless. This is true horror at it's best, and people who complain about Alien: Isolation being to hard and slow paced, look at the genre again. The game has that perfect original Alien feeling that is a true must-have for all Alien-fans. Some have complained that the game is to hard at Normal. I played it with difficulty set to Hard, and I never had problems playing it. The feeling of always being helpless and not being able to feel secure actually makes the game even better. The inventory and amount of items you can find is perfectly balanced through the whole game. The game has its flaws, such as being a bit repeating in the end, since it turns out it is a very long game. But I can't call it a negative thing. If I would point out on thing though, it is that the horror is somewhat lost in the last few hours. The developers have really put their hearts in this product and I really hope we will see sequel. Because this is survival horror at it's best and also one of the best games of the year. It is like the AAA-version of Outlast, with a fantastic retro-feeling and without Outlasts lack of variation. A survival horror-gamer shouldn't miss this. Expand
  94. Oct 31, 2014
    Alien Isolation is an astounding experience from beginning to end, this game really raises the bar in the horror genre. Absolutely the best alien game to date, and I would even say that they finally made a game worthy of the franchise! I was blown away with the graphic's, and completely fell in love with our new heroine Ripley! I felt like I was really watching Sigorney's daughterAlien Isolation is an astounding experience from beginning to end, this game really raises the bar in the horror genre. Absolutely the best alien game to date, and I would even say that they finally made a game worthy of the franchise! I was blown away with the graphic's, and completely fell in love with our new heroine Ripley! I felt like I was really watching Sigorney's daughter maturate, through out an heart racing ride of sci-fiction terror. The pace of this game is spot on, and my best comparison to game play would be alien's meets outlast. However you will be able to wield makeshift weapons, and there is a fair amount of gathering material to do such. This game won't appeal to everyone, as its not a COD or Battlefield 1st person shooter. Quite the opposite, this game is a breathe of fresh air, and at a time when we have been over saturated with the same type of shooters/and story plots. Be prepared to play this game in the dark, I recommend surround sound or a very good pair of headphones. No distractions, and go into this game knowing this game requires a lot of stealth and patience! Not much to complain about in this game, anything its lacking most likely would have taken away from the suspenseful pleasure of being stalked by a super smart and always moving ALIEN! So charge up your controller, bust out the beer/soda and enjoy the ride. Expand
  95. Nov 16, 2015
    Alien: Isolation is the highly anticipated horror title developed by The Creative Assembly and published by Sega. You are put in the shoes of Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen Ripley, who was played by Sigourney Weaver in the films Alien and Aliens. The game takes place in 2137, 15 years after the events of Alien and 42 years prior to Aliens. The creators of Alien: Isolation do a fine jobAlien: Isolation is the highly anticipated horror title developed by The Creative Assembly and published by Sega. You are put in the shoes of Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen Ripley, who was played by Sigourney Weaver in the films Alien and Aliens. The game takes place in 2137, 15 years after the events of Alien and 42 years prior to Aliens. The creators of Alien: Isolation do a fine job crafting their own story and tying it in to the old films. The game even opens up with a VHS-like 20th Century Fox presentation. This makes Isolation feel like it fits right in with those classic horror flicks. As Amanda, aboard the space station Sevastapol, you must find the flight recorder of Nostromo, but things take a turn for the worse as you discover an alien is on board, relentlessly killing all crew and passengers.

The first thing you’ll notice about Alien: Isolation is the presentation. It opens like a movie from the 70’s, with those classic VHS lines and quality hitches. It’s complete with retro music too. You’ll literally feel like you are watching one of the old Alien films. Soon enough though, after a somewhat laggy but mostly realistic cutscene, you’re thrust into darkness and horror. The opening gameplay set pieces truly invoke terror. The superb graphics help add to the realism and fear. The detailed environments make you feel as if you’re really in Amanda’s shoes…and you know you are not alone on the space station. Lighting effects are especially great, along with the little things, such as smoke and fire. Everything looks pretty darn good. The weakest aspects, visually, would probably be the characters themselves, but they still look great. Being that you have little ammo and minimal weapons, it’s easy to be afraid in the opening stages of the game. The sound effects are implemented with precision, as you can hear every detail around you. Sometimes, it’s the alien scampering around in the air ducts, while other times, it’s lights exploding or enemies approaching. Whatever it is, you’ll be impressed and probably pretty scared.

The gameplay in Alien: Isolation is good, but not great. Sure, the visuals and audio are both superb, but things tend to die down and unravel in the latter part of the game. It is about 20 hours, which some claim is too long. This does in fact, water down the experience because the story and gameplay wither after a while. If the game was only 10 hours, the game would have actually been better. For example, later in the game, you get better weapons, which sort of defeats the purpose of what the game originally set out to do. You will feel overpowered, even though you can’t kill the alien. Also, the alien ‘disappears’ for a while in a certain section of the game, which leaves you to deal with the computer-generated human-like enemies, who are albeit creepy, but are not as imposing as the alien. All of this combined makes for a less impressive second half. On the positive note, the gameplay gets some diversity via the weapon/item crafting and puzzle-solving. The crafting is very much like The Last of Us, as in you combine different pieces of scrap you find throughout your quest and build items such as noisemakers, first aid kits and mines. The puzzles in Isolation are somewhat easy but they are also needed, because they freshen things up in cool ways.

The alien itself is pretty scary, but the real fear comes from trying to proceed to the next objective without being seen or found by it. Most of the time, you’ll have to be very patient and of course, stay hidden. There are plenty of places to hide such as lockers and boxes. Near the beginning of the game you will get a radar device that tells you where the alien is, or more specifically, if it is near you. By the way, it’s much faster than you, so if it sees you, you’re dead. There will be times you’ll have to re-play certain areas, which will become frustrating for some players. But then again, it’s all about survival in Alien: Isolation.

As a whole, Alien: Isolation nails the look and feel of the classic films it attempts to replicate. The developers did a nice job tying the story into the original films as well. This adds some cohesiveness and intrigue as you play through. The audiovisual presentation is fantastic. However, even with its strengths, Isolation fails to capitalize in the long-term, with a transition from fear and terror to guns-blazing, overpowering gameplay. This also takes away from the story because it changes the whole mood and feel of the game. Isolation is also upwards of 20 hours long, making things drag for too long. It’s not the Alien game you have been waiting for, but it’s still the best Alien game on the market today.
  96. Oct 25, 2014
    Suspenseful but not truly scary. There's a good deal of trial and error in attempts to stay alive. I started on hard, which was a mistake unless you enjoy reloading every 4 minutes. Isolation is fun on lower levels, but again, you're still going to end up reloading a bit. It's not because it's too hard, but because luck is a factor later in the game. If you're a big suspense and stealthSuspenseful but not truly scary. There's a good deal of trial and error in attempts to stay alive. I started on hard, which was a mistake unless you enjoy reloading every 4 minutes. Isolation is fun on lower levels, but again, you're still going to end up reloading a bit. It's not because it's too hard, but because luck is a factor later in the game. If you're a big suspense and stealth game fan or if you can't get enough of the Alien universe, you should definitely grab this game. All and all, it fits better with the universe than anything else with an Alien title after Aliens. Expand
  97. Nov 5, 2014
    Wonderful.
    Whoever loved the movies, will definitely love this game. The atmosphere, the characters, the locations and the tension of being hunted by the xenomorph are perfectly replicated in this piece of art. A must buy for every alien fan. Plus: wonderful graphic and state-of-the-art sound system.
    Beware: Not suitable for children with 'mindless-shooting-syndrome'
  98. Oct 15, 2014
    With excellent voice acting, an eerie atmosphere, and a masterful soundtrack; this game finally does good service to the first iteration of the Alien franchise. This game is what Alien 3 should have been.

Outlast is tense, you have to hide from the enemies since there is little you can do... wait, I lost my train of thought for a second: Amnesia: the Dark Descent is a powerful game in which you will feel overpowered while you try and find some fuel for your light source... Again, I apologize, it seems these games are terribly identical to the source matter.

On the other hand, it would be preposterous to give this game a bad score, since it is a functional piece of software that will satisfy those who desperately crave a survival horror experience. But truth of the matter is, we have already seen many a game with the same premise, same gameplay, and this falls short because of it.

Was this not a blatant copy of the whole Amnesia: Dark Hide and Seek, was this game to come five years ago, it would have blown everyone's mind, twice, possibly three times. Nowadays, it is a good experience, a deserving game for the franchise, but nothing else.

Besides, once you learn the simplistic AI can't do anything but run around in circles doing the same interactions over and over, you will grow past this game, feel bored by the premise, and never touch it again. You have weapons, but on the hardest difficulty, which is the recommended setting, you might as well not have them, since you will waste all your ammo on an android, only to have a couple more come and join the fight, and the alien is invulnerable to everything. You can craft items, but this feature is far from enjoyable, it feels more of a chore; just give me a chaff grenade instead of making me collect 3 stupid sensors, go to the crafting menu, select all solitary components, and then create the improvised grenade. Pointless features, the fighting and crafting in this game.

Don't let the nitpicking discourage you from playing this game, for at it's core, it is a good game, with a nicely acted story, deserving of at least one playthrough, just borrow it in a week from one of your wealthy friends, they will surely be bored of it by then, and give it a go.
  99. Apr 24, 2016
    Mediocre game - Sneaking, crouching, find that, bring that there - story is like " I don't care" AI of Alien is cheat, it always follows you whenever you go. Initially game is scary however at some point it become boring. crouching, move, turn off/on power.... I am glad that I bought it on promotion for about 12 euro... Save your money, don't buy it.
  100. Oct 16, 2014
    Alien Isolation is one of the most terrifying, gripping and exciting survival horror experiences out there. The fact this scored 5.9 on IGN and was reviewed in the fashion it was; it is an absolute disgrace. Thankfully many people have gone against this and thoroughly enjoyed what is a truly memorable and challenging experience.

Ryan of IGN; a self-confessed Halo fanboy who enjoys

Ryan of IGN; a self-confessed Halo fanboy who enjoys primarily simple and generic shooters didn't enjoy this game because he couldn't accept it wasn't a fast paced, action-rife FPS title with guns galore and enemies aplenty. He couldn't understand the concept of the game and how to play it and the review aside from the score showed this. This is a challenging game which demands patience, stealth and timing - it's not some run of the mill FPS and Ryan simply could not understand this.

You play Amanda Ripley who's job is to retrieve a black box from the Sevastapol space station. Sounds simple? Wrong! Upon arrival, it is clear that there is some strange goings-on at the staggeringly beautiful station which propels a simple narrative into a gripping story where survival is all that matters. The pacing of the game is brilliant as the tension and atmosphere become unbearable. You never know what is going to happen next. Most of the game will see you battling against a unknown specie which is prime instigator for the havoc you discover. You must do all you can to survive its clutches with only a few tools and the environment to hide. You're not alone though - there are plenty of characters to meet on the way which develop the narrative and other enemies who you can use as bait against the Alien to help progress. You can access a few weapons but how you use them and when can determine if you survive or don't. Save points are also manual and scattered around the ship which adds to the unbearable horror and makes you play very carefully and cautiously. It's just a remarkable horror title designed in a very clever manner that ticks all the boxes. No game has achieved this level of tension since the early Resident Evil games.

Overall, Isolation is a fantastic title that redefines the horror genre. It's incredibly hard at times but feels very rewarding just to get to the next room unscathed. The visuals are stunning, the atmosphere is horrifying thanks to some epic audio and the lasting challenge makes it a must buy title. If you are expecting a simple, linear fps title with lots of guns, enemies, action and a short but sweet campaign; this game is not for you. If you enjoy horror games or sci-fi; this is a must buy.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Nov 16, 2014
    A beautiful game that captures the essence of Alien and even expands its fiction. There are some cracks under the polish, but it gets more right than it gets wrong. [Dec 2014, p.91]
  2. Nov 8, 2014
    Alien: Isolation represents a strong return to form for an ailing franchise.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Nov 5, 2014
    Unlike the creature at its centre, Isolation isn't structurally perfect, but it is brilliantly hostile in a way that's likely to shock many players. [Dec 2014, p.102]