7.0

1. Aug 9, 2017
    We strike again with the "grading it as a VR game" issue. Let me start off by saying, Archangel in itself is a really good game and is a blast. A cockpit-piloting mech game is about as much as you could ask for from the VR and personally the kind of game I was dying for.

A somewhat rail shooter type of game, the action and activity make for a raging time and immediate adrenaline rush. The level of customization is actually respectable in terms of your mech (upgrade your shields early folks). Best played with the PS Move Controllers, you can use the regular controller but the best feel comes from the Move Controllers as you can aim, shooter and even punch with the items. It really does a great job of making you feel like you are the most dangerous thing on the battle field. The visuals are actually some of the best you will get with the VR thus far which is shocking since this is Skydance's first for into the VR world.

The game unfortunately comes the same issues that usually plague VR games. The biggest gripe is the game is short, like really short. If you play straight through, you can beat the game in a few hours. For a $40 game, that is not OK. Also, the rail shooting like feel does give it a bit too much linearity as well (though I do understand since it utilizes the PS Move Controllers which are already flawed).

The second issue is the lack of really any other content. The hope is that this game is just suffering with new content to come, but just grading the game, its bare-bones. This game begs for some type of multiplayer either co-op or mech vs. mech. Yet nothing. It doesn't really help that the game is padded with the different modes to lengthen how long you play the game for more of a challenge. While not a bad idea, its about the most lazy thing you can do.

Again let me mention again that this is not a bad game and is actually really, really fun. What hurts it most is just a short campaign and a lack of other modes. Given you have to shell out $40 for the game and another $85+ for the PSVR Move Controllers, it just may not be worth it with how little the game has to offer at this point. You can play using a regular controller, but then you won't get the full experience of it all. The game has a lot of potential, it just needs a lot more content and hopefully Skydance is working behind the scenes to add more to it.
  2. Oct 8, 2017
    Even from graded it as VR game's perspective, I will still rate SO-SO.
    No doubt this is the highest standard robot-pilot game in PSVR so far. Great weapon system with two shields. Vivid robot hand control. Exciting ultimate abilities. The first time you sit into the machine, you will feel powerful!
    However, there are also too many things Archangel doesn't perform well. For example: 1)
    Even from graded it as VR game's perspective, I will still rate SO-SO.
    1) The sound effect is disaster, it almost ruins the whole game. You feel like battling with sponge and cotton.
    2) The story and mission design is definitely below average, boring and stupid. After the ending, you are guaranteed to feel released that you don't have to suffer this anymore.
  3. Apr 16, 2018
    this one I find to be very sad as the game itself is really good but the horrible controls just ruin it, your constantly finding yourself running out of ammo or shield because there is just too much to keep track of. its not like a typical game where you can use what ever weapons you want its like your brain has to keep track perfectly of your left and right hand controls and each one hasthis one I find to be very sad as the game itself is really good but the horrible controls just ruin it, your constantly finding yourself running out of ammo or shield because there is just too much to keep track of. its not like a typical game where you can use what ever weapons you want its like your brain has to keep track perfectly of your left and right hand controls and each one has to do something completely different. if they had just removed the shield mechanic I think this game would have been a 9/10 for me but it just over complicates the experience and leads to frustration instead of enjoyment. thankfully no motion sickness and the graphics are good but for myself personally the flaw make this one you should skip unless your an expert multitasker .

Pros - Great story and presentation, with a good amount of content. also no motion sickness

Cons - overly complicated control scheme and game mechanics leading to frustration and ruining the fun that could be had.

4. Dec 18, 2017
    Archangel is a slow mech cockpit shooter. The controls are awful and the semi on rails nature of the level design just feel bad. There are plenty of other better cockpit shooters available.
  5. Apr 14, 2018
    This was the game that sold me on VR. Just a superb experience overall. And not only is it intensely immersive and provides a deep sense of the what one would expect it to feel to pilot a 6 story Mech, but it pushes the limits of what can be done utilizing the Move controllers as far as it can.

If I were to have one complaint it would be some of the main character's voice acting work. However it doesn't distract too much from the experience.

The game is actually fairly challenging with the move controllers on Normal difficulty. I would honestly recommend taking the first play through on Easy.

I will say though that I probably wouldn't have appreciated this game as much at the full $30 price point. I beliee I got it on a sale for $6. I still would have been more than happy with this purchase at around $15 though.

. It's usually the first game I show to gamers who want to see what PSVR can really do. It does a great job of showcasing the whole PSVR experience.
  6. Aug 6, 2017
    I've been following the yellow brick road for a long time now, purchasing many games along the way to quench my thirst for immersive gameplay and while finding quite a few games (such as long echo) that stopped me in my tracks and tickled my fancy, Archangel VR had my complete undivided attention. From the moment you start in the train and form a bond with your popcorn haired son to whenI've been following the yellow brick road for a long time now, purchasing many games along the way to quench my thirst for immersive gameplay and while finding quite a few games (such as long echo) that stopped me in my tracks and tickled my fancy, Archangel VR had my complete undivided attention. From the moment you start in the train and form a bond with your popcorn haired son to when you find yourself thrown into chaos in a post apocalyptic world punching robot canines, blowing up oversized soda cans with your fists, punching bridges and barriers until they succumb to your fists of fury (Did I mention you can frickin PUNCH the **** out of things??). You stomp around with comrades who have different special abilities to aid you on your lust to draw 2nd blood on the enemy HUMANX who have given you reason to hate them. The gameplay is fast and keeps you on your toes and you have to be very mindful of your timing on what to use against enemies, expect to die alot even on easy mode but it is SO very fulfilling once you finish a level after being obliterated by your foes. I haven't seen anything like Archangel before and I hope too see more from the developers, they delivered the ULTIMATE First Person Mech Game and I can only see things going up from here. Time to replay on Permadeath. YYEEEEEHAAAAA! Expand
  7. Jan 17, 2018
    I took advantage of the January special offers at PlayStation Store in order to buy several games and Archangel was one of them. I was waiting for a discount on this game for a long time and finally I have it! I've worked as videogames reviewer in many Spanish magazines for 10 years, so I have plenty of experience as a videogames critic. Having that as introduction, I can say Archangel isI took advantage of the January special offers at PlayStation Store in order to buy several games and Archangel was one of them. I was waiting for a discount on this game for a long time and finally I have it! I've worked as videogames reviewer in many Spanish magazines for 10 years, so I have plenty of experience as a videogames critic. Having that as introduction, I can say Archangel is one of the best VR videogames that exist so far.

There are not many serious choices in the VR landscape yet, so it's always good news if a real game appears on the list. Archangel may not be a new game, but it's way better than most of the latest new ones. Is it too short? Yes, it is, but it's very re-playable and super funny to re-play. That's not usual. The action is that fast and crowded, that is impossible to remember where each enemy is going to appear each time.

Controls are great. Weapons are great. Graphic design, menus, audio files, sound effects, visual effects, enemies, level designs... Everything is great. An excellent 3D work with an excellent amount of good ideas. The feeling of having virtual hands controlling the gigantic robotic hands is just awesome. I'd paid the total prize of the game for just a demo of it. It is an incredible experience in VR, specially with the PlayStation Move Controllers.

Of course, it's not perfect. It would be great to have control of the movement of the mech across the scenarios. And it would be even better with a few more levels because it's pretty short. But I insist: it's a really re-playable game. Sensational. Good work, Skydance Interactive guys. Waiting for an Archangel 2 already!
  8. Feb 11, 2018
    At its core, Archangel is a fun game requiring the mastering its controls to fully unlock the potential of the game. I'm not sure why some of the other reviewers have such a negative view of the game. Yes, it has its flaws including some boring environments and frustrating moments...but overall it's a fantastic play! I love every moment of it and was sad when the 3-5 hour campaign ended.At its core, Archangel is a fun game requiring the mastering its controls to fully unlock the potential of the game. I'm not sure why some of the other reviewers have such a negative view of the game. Yes, it has its flaws including some boring environments and frustrating moments...but overall it's a fantastic play! I love every moment of it and was sad when the 3-5 hour campaign ended. By the end I had strong control of the 6 story mech I was piloting and was having a blast. The game is absolutely worth the purchase and play through no questions asked. I highly recommend this game - and hope they continue and make a second.

Don't buy into the negative reviews posted here - feel the experience yourself of entering the mech. It's memorable.

Happy meching!
  9. Jul 3, 2018
    Don't get fooled like I did and don't buy it on special. The game is horrible and after 5 minutes of being impressed by good graphics, you'll see it's a bad game.

Trust me on this. It is unplayable because your character is CONSTANTLY yelling during the whole time. I'm not petty or anything, believe me when I tell you it completely RUINS the game experience(which is bare bone by itself. All you do is constantly shoot targets. It's incredibly dull).

This game has changed my perspective on VR games. I will no longer be buying anything else than AAA proven quality such as: Skyrim or Resident Evil and maybe Thumper.

Games like this are trash and there's too many of them in the PS world unfortunately. Don't support this garbage.
  10. Feb 5, 2019
    This game is short and sweet. It doesn't outstay it's welcome and even though it uses the move controllers they seem to work decently for this game. The graphics are decent but not mind blowing, story is good, not great but overall it is a fun few hours and at the right price point I would recommend playing it.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 18 Critic Reviews

1. Aug 25, 2017
    In the end, Archangel makes a good first impression, but the fact of the matter is this is a game you’d play at a Dave & Buster’s. The on-rail nature of gameplay makes it better suited to an experience rather than a video game. There’s no reason to play through it a second time, either. Nothing about the two to three-hour story, the characters, or the gameplay made me say, “Gosh, I really want to play this again!” As much as I wanted Archangel to be a first-person Zone of the Enders, I do have to be realistic. That sort of experience isn’t possible on the platform yet. Maybe if it came with a Steel Battalion-like control system, it’d be a lot more fun and interactive. But considering the limits of the Move controllers, what I want the game to be isn’t possible right now. And that’s a shame because Archangel has some promise, and I wish I could engage with it more than I am allowed to. A decent way to kill an afternoon, though you might want to wait for the price to drop below $40.
  2. Aug 7, 2017
    Archangel has a few rough dents in its mechanical chassis, but still performs a whole lot better than most of the VR dreck that has plagued Sony’s budding VR hardware. At this point, beggars can’t be choosers, and a decent experience is far more preferable than another stomach-turning train wreck. Though not every idea may be properly thought through, there is still a lot of love and care put into the game, which may not make it entirely deserving of a full-price purchase, but still worth a weekend with after a price drop or two.
  3. Aug 4, 2017
    Solid debut for Skydance Interactive in the world of gaming and Virtual Reality.