7.9

1. Dec 21, 2013
    This game is disguised under an epic illusion. It seems the map is very big, but where most elements repeat.
    Too many repetitive side missions. And the main missions are very repetitive as well. In addition, the environment is very repetitive. Anyway, every thing is repetitive, making the game fatiguing.
    I remembered AC II was so enjoyable, while You never expect an experience as
    I remembered AC II was so enjoyable, while You never expect an experience as assassin in AC IV. This franchise has lost the soul of assassin. The only left is a coat. When I was playing the game, I always ask myself: why I have to wear like an assassin?
    The pirate part is not bad for me, but I am soon bored with flat sea face, and you will soon be bored with The naval battle under same pattern.
    This is a game, lack of soul, full of repetitive mechanism and will be forgotten soon.
    Never compare AC IV even with GTA V which is still 10 times better than AC IV in quality.
    IMO, The AC III and IV shouldn't be in Assassin's Creed franchise.
  2. Mar 31, 2014
    I am a fan of the AC series but Black Flag has left me questioning if I want to continue following. The playable map is just so.... massive, and not in a good way. In AC3 I had a solid feel for the Northeastern United States map but Black Flag just offers too much for me to simply wrap my head around. I also find the sea travel to be quite tedious. Crossing over the seas to follow alongI am a fan of the AC series but Black Flag has left me questioning if I want to continue following. The playable map is just so.... massive, and not in a good way. In AC3 I had a solid feel for the Northeastern United States map but Black Flag just offers too much for me to simply wrap my head around. I also find the sea travel to be quite tedious. Crossing over the seas to follow along with the main story really started to become a chore. The transition from boat to land (areas without docking stations) was also a time consuming headache. The only thing I really looked forward to were my interactions with James Kidd. Now with news of two more AC this year alone I feel as if this game has become too much for me. It would be more enticing if it was the only game I played but being on limited time with my PS4 and wanting to play other games I think AC has became too epic on a scale for myself and similar gamers. Expand
  3. Jul 29, 2014
    Don't waste your money with AC IV for PS4. This only a mediocre game for a PS3, and its flaws are even more unforgivable in the next-gen console.

The graphics are inconsistent. There are some amazing lightning + rain effects, but for the most part you feel you are playing a PS3 game, unlike Tomb Raider, who really looked better in PS4. The game mechanics are poor, and you will find

The game mechanics are poor, and you will find yourself playing a game from 7 years ago in your PS4. Combats are as poor and minimalist as possible and Main quest doesn't make any sense. Are you playing an AC mission or a "legendary pirates" one? Whats the link between those famous pirates and the AC main plot? Most missions from the main plot are always the same: you need catch someone in annoying missions, you need to hear some conversation while no one notice you are around, you need to kill some specific character that is as easy to kill as any random enemy, repeat, over and over again.

The "office missions" are so bad and boring that you won't believe they are putting that kind of thing in a so called "AAA game".

AC is an open world game, but I never thought an open world game and Caribbean would be THAT boring. The pirates will sing the same songs over and over again, the small islands all look the same, and usually all you can do there is to open some random chest and find some random treasure.

The cities are not as enjoyable to explore as the ones from previous games, people waking on the streets all look the same...

I believe those professional reviews giving this game favorable critics were made after few hours of gameplay. In the first 10 hours, this game really seemed amazing, but after that I realized there was nothing new to do in the game. After completing 25% of the game, I just decided to stop wasting my time in Caribbean.

The early Assassins Creed Unity gameplay suggests the first AC game for next gen is coming this year, and it exposes how bad AC IV is as PS4 game.

Avoid this one.
  4. Aug 2, 2014
    Overall a mediocre experience. The controls are good, really good graphics, a great looking open world. But, other than that it really isn't that much different from AC3. I personally think that AC3 was more innovative in it's overall gameplay experience. It deferred much from the other AC games in style and combat. There we was also first introduced to sailing ships, although it's muchOverall a mediocre experience. The controls are good, really good graphics, a great looking open world. But, other than that it really isn't that much different from AC3. I personally think that AC3 was more innovative in it's overall gameplay experience. It deferred much from the other AC games in style and combat. There we was also first introduced to sailing ships, although it's much more developed in AC4 and much more a part of the game than AC3. AC4's style is almost identical to AC3 (like running, walking, crawling, jumping etc.), the combat is also almost the same (like the special movies where you kill 2 opponents at a time with your pistols or rope darts), the combat style is a little different because obviously we now have 2 weapons at the same time, but not as cool or fluent as Connor's axe (that is my favorite AC weapon of all time). Ubisoft really got lazy with this one, also there's not much variety in the gameplay (like sailing all over the world which is freakin' huge looking for animus fragments and chests is really boring after a while and painfully repetitive) and the lack of different weapons you can buy like Ezio's many gadgets (grenades etc.) 2 handed weapons (which you can get in this game, but only from the guards). And i really think it's boring that you can get the most damaging sword in a matter of hours as damage levels are only as high as 5. There really isn't much of a challenge in the AC games, i really miss a difficulty level you can choose from. Enemies are easily overcome even if there's 20 surrounding you. And the story is like any other AC game. It's overall repetitive and certainly not improved that much from the other games. This game is way too easy, and incredibly overrated. AC3 is much better. I really don't understand how so many people can think this is far superior to AC3, and think AC3 is the worst entry in the series (Revelations anyone?), maybe it's the nostalgia from the Ezio games and you just thought all other characters and settings that came after, no matter how great, was complete a** in comparison. I really hope that AC Unity will come up with many new things and ideas, because if this, repeating everything from the previous games over and over again, continues i'm done with this series. I love the AC series, i played the first one when it came out and have now played all games (except for the dlc add-ons) and praise them for the style and gameplay. But ever since AC Brotherhood (because of the summoning Assassin's to help you) i really don't think the games have come up with anything new. Luckily from the looks of it, AC Unity will finally show us something new and exciting. Can't wait. But in the meantime 3 stars for this clone Expand
  5. Dec 7, 2014
    Worst in the series. (I haven't played Unity yet) It was just boring the free roam was just meh it got repetitive, then the multiplayer :l why even this it's not really need in my opinion, even though others enjoy it, I just really didn't like it, and I heard Unity is trash well lets hope that rouge us good
  6. Sep 7, 2014
    This game is so overrated, it's annoying. C'mon people, it's basically just a clone of AC3, same visual style, same gameplay, no new tricks, fewer less interesting weapons and of course the sailing, which we also got to see first in AC3. I really don't understand how so many people hate AC3 and just loves AC4. I get that many still mourn Ezio's departure from the series, but hey he isn'tThis game is so overrated, it's annoying. C'mon people, it's basically just a clone of AC3, same visual style, same gameplay, no new tricks, fewer less interesting weapons and of course the sailing, which we also got to see first in AC3. I really don't understand how so many people hate AC3 and just loves AC4. I get that many still mourn Ezio's departure from the series, but hey he isn't the only thing that matters. I love AC, i've played every game ever since it's introduction in 2007. My favorite of them all (besides AC2 because it was a vast improvement over the first in everything) is AC3. Why? Because Brotherhood only introduced 1 new thing, summoning assassin's, Revelations is probably my least favorite. In every game that followed AC2 they gave us maybe 1 new thing to do or weapon to attack and then took something else away. In AC3 everything changed, Connor's running/jumping/crawling style is the same as Edwards. The Tomahawk was badass my favorite. The 2 swords Edward has are the only thing different from Connor. He's basically Connor, just with plastic surgery and 2 swords. The graphics are really great, i have to say that. But overall it just isn't anything we haven't seen before, even the main story. I really miss Desmond btw, i think it's lousy we have to play as some random Templar, really makes it feel this franchise just became a moneymaking machine with no depth or anything. Can't wait till' ACU, that looks real innovative for a change. Expand
  7. Sep 30, 2015
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is undoubtedly the worst Assassin's Creed installment in the franchise.

It saddens a long-time Assassin's Creed fan to see that so many pseudo fans and sham reviewers continue to praise this game incessantly, with the general claim that "Black Flag is great because being a pirate and sailing the ocean blue is awesome! A great pirate action-adventure game!" This is precisely why this game is rubbish — it's fraudulent. I bought this game knowing that I would have to be a pirate—and quite frankly didn't mind the idea of being one—but thinking that I would still predominantly be an Assassin, as the main title on the cover is "[Assassin's] Creed IV". I was wrong; the subtitle sadly has much, much higher precedence than the aforementioned main one; in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, YOU DO NOT PLAY AS AN ASSASSIN AT ALL. Neither from a story perspective or a gameplay one.

Edward Kenway was marketed as a "A Pirate Trained By Assassins". That tagline is far and away deceitful and out of sync with the storyline and the real origins of Edward's skills. Let's just say that Edward's tenure as an Assassin is momentary at best. For nearly the entire duration of the game, you will be playing as a pirate, plundering ships as you will and fighting for a liberated Pirate Republic alongside prominent sailors of the Golden Age of Piracy. That's all fine and dandy... if you want to only play as a pirate in a game marketed under the franchise name "[Assassin's] Creed". Do not—I repeat DO NOT—expect to play as an Assassin in this Assassin's Creed title. See how oxymoronic that sounds? Well, that's precisely what Assassin's Creed IV is — a glorified and fraudulent oxymoron in the form of a video game.

Despite the obvious focus on piracy and open conflict, a rudimentary, mock stealth system has been implemented to ensure that the game isn't a complete scam. You are equipped with an inadequate and poorly-designed stealth implementation, yet still expected to go through some missions undetected. This shoddy attempt to incorporate an Assassin experience is only further hindered by the abysmal level design, which clearly lends itself towards open conflict. Assassin's Creed IV's main missions are surprisingly more linear than its predecessors' and have little to no variation; you'll either be working as best you can with the horrendous stealth implementation while tailing or sneaking on land or recursively immobilizing and boarding ships on the high seas. Either way, you will be met with a slew of missions containing very little variation and even less focus on any variant of stealth whatsoever — that is to say that social stealth is well-nigh non-existent in this game.

Edward Kenway is a nice addition and is quite a likeable character, in a one-dimensional way, however. He's likeable by virtue of being a prototypical pirate — greedy, rebellious and selfish. Besides also being one of the funnier Assassins in the series, that's really all there is to like about him. Edward severely lacks the substance of his Assassin forerunners (Altaïr and Ezio) and his story isn't even remotely an interesting one; it's more entertaining than it is compelling or inspiring. His character development has no pace and occurs at the turn of a dime towards the game's conclusion, and as such, felt rushed and forced more than anything. Overall, Edward Kenway is an enjoyable character deprived of the quality and substance that made his predecessors (chronologically; not including Connor) memorable.

In conclusion, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is neither a good pirate or Assassin's Creed game, though the severe lack of the former seems to be a prominent reason as to why this game is being treated as the savior of the franchise. In truth, it is the ground zero of the series' demise, in which all following games will consist of repetitive open conflict and mundane stealth sequences; the death of [Assassin's] Creed and birth of [Fighter's] Creed, if you will.

If you aren't a true fan of Assassin's Creed and want a primitive, pirating simulator rather than a stealth-orientated, assassination simulator, you will like this game.
  8. Jan 3, 2014
    It's difficult to describe this game, if you look at it from the pirate aspect then no doubt you can see why this game is fun but when you look at it from the Assassin's Creed aspect, then this game is just a downright train-wreck, Where is the stealth? Why has this franchise suddenly become obsessed with pirates? Not to mention the poorly written storyline that they scribbled together forIt's difficult to describe this game, if you look at it from the pirate aspect then no doubt you can see why this game is fun but when you look at it from the Assassin's Creed aspect, then this game is just a downright train-wreck, Where is the stealth? Why has this franchise suddenly become obsessed with pirates? Not to mention the poorly written storyline that they scribbled together for this game, I personally think Ubisoft is just desperately trying to make this franchise all that and more and they are failing at it, but then again I gave it a 3 because when you play this game and forget the other Assassin's Creed games and their plots, then yes the game can be some-what enjoyable but to all the die-hard Assassin's Creed fans, like myself, I strongly recommend that you DON'T buy this game, it has become clear Assassin's Creed is turning into Call of Duty, expect another similar or below-average sequel next year from Ubisoft for the same 60 dollars you keep wishing you had back............ Expand
  9. Mar 4, 2018
    Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag is an open-world Assassin’s Creed game set in the Age of Piracy. The star of this game is Edward Kenway, a privateer-turned-pirate who is obsessed with making it big, getting lots of money, and then going back home to his wife in Britain. Unlike most such games, while the game centers on the Assassin vs Templar conflict, the protagonist is not a member ofAssassin’s Creed: Black Flag is an open-world Assassin’s Creed game set in the Age of Piracy. The star of this game is Edward Kenway, a privateer-turned-pirate who is obsessed with making it big, getting lots of money, and then going back home to his wife in Britain. Unlike most such games, while the game centers on the Assassin vs Templar conflict, the protagonist is not a member of either organization for most of the length of the game, and has little devotion to either of their causes.

Meanwhile, the present-day plot is that of a programmer working at Abstergo Industries, the modern-day face of the Templar. But rather than doing something nefarious, their job is to go into the genetic memories of “Subject 17” (the modern-day protagonist of the last several games) and extract useful footage so that Abstergo can make a game out of it (with some help from Ubisoft, because Ubisoft loves to include themselves in their games).

All of this sounds good on the surface. Unfortunately, much like a red delicious apple, while it might look good, when you bite into it, you find that the flesh of the fruit is quite bland.

Assassin’s Creed 4 is a game which suffers from all of the problems of open-world games. There is a big game world with lots of stuff to do, but instead of being a lot of interesting things, it is the same thing over and over again. The naval combat is theoretically interesting, and is a huge feature of the game – you sail around on your pirate ship, attacking other ships to steal their stuff, and going from location to location to complete various tasks.

Unfortunately, while the ship stuff sounds interesting, it actually wears thin rather fast. There’s not that much variety in terms of enemy ships, and what variety there is is actually quite minimal – the smaller ships and the bigger ships are very similar, with the only differences being how much firepower they have. The largest ships have mortars, which can attack you from a distance – but these are just added onto the base. There isn’t much of a difference otherwise, and your ship can make very short work of most of the lighter ships anyway. And while your ship in principle has a few different kinds of shot – a shot from the bow that slows down enemy ships, a cannon broadside, a mortar of its own, the ability to drop fire barrels that serve as mines from the back, a ram for crashing into other ships and damaging them, and a swivel gun for shooting specific targeted locations – in the end, it is more or less “throw whatever you can at them” rather than trying some sort of clever tactics, and once you understand the general strategy behind attacking ships without yourself being attacked too much, you can just do the same thing over and over again and quickly win virtually every fight in the game.

On top of that, it has other issues. Once you damage the enemy ship enough, you pull up alongside them and board them – which would ordinarily be suicidal in the middle of combat, but in Asssassin’s Creed 4, makes your ship invincible while you’re doing it, and it even heals your ship. The actual boarding is done on foot, and is a clever idea in principle, but in practice, you will board dozens of ships over the course of the game, and it quickly wears thin, as the enemies on the ships are all the same and there’s only really three “other tasks” you might end up doing (killing 1-2 targets, blowing up the powder kegs, and climbing up to the top of the ship to kill a couple people or to take down the flag). This was neat the first few times, but after doing it so many times, I got quite bored with it. But, alas, if you want to gather the materials to upgrade your ship or to do the Kenway’s Fleet optional objective, you must capture a *lot* of ships.

The actual on-foot stuff is amongst the worst in the series. While the mechanics are the same as in previous games, the world is not. The world is full of samey areas. There’s only one town with buildings of any decent size (Havana), and even there, they’re mostly quite short and not very interesting to climb around on. This is a big problem, because one of the enjoyable things about Assassin’s Creed is climbing around cool big environments to complete tasks; there are only really two sections of the game where this happens, both being fortresses that you go into during a mission, and the two forts feel pretty similar to each other.

Otherwise, you spend most of your time running around pretty flat environments, with low, boring buildings being the norm, along with trees reminiscent of the Frontier parts of Assassin’s Creed 3. And while you use the ship to get from place to place, most of the “core” of the game – be it exploring areas or completing missions – happens on foot.

All in all, I’d recommend against playing this game, even if you got it for free; it just isn't worth the time.
  10. Jan 20, 2014
    At first this seemed like a game that could really be fun, but then after leaving the first city of the game the gameplay became boring and stale immediately. I rarely play it anymore because I get bored of it so quickly. I wouldn't recommend this to my friends either because the multiplayer, although seemed like it would be fun ended up being more repetitive gameplay over and over again.At first this seemed like a game that could really be fun, but then after leaving the first city of the game the gameplay became boring and stale immediately. I rarely play it anymore because I get bored of it so quickly. I wouldn't recommend this to my friends either because the multiplayer, although seemed like it would be fun ended up being more repetitive gameplay over and over again. Naval gameplay isn't as big as I thought it would be and free roam out sea is just the same thing, shoot cannon(s) until your enemy is weakened enough to board their ship or finish them off. While free roam on land is a bit better because of how you can approach different tasks, so much of the game asks you to sail that it makes me not want to play anymore. As for the graphics, the game looks suprisingly good for a cross-gen title with a few hiccups with character models and textures. But no matter how good this game looks it can't overcome the repetitive gameplay. Expand
  11. Feb 24, 2014
    Assassin's Creed, the whole series, is lacking. If there was ever a gaming company that needed, NEEDED to listen to its customers and get feedback from gamers, its this one. There is NO difficulty setting and the fighting combat is so easy its boring. Circle to block and square to kill. Yawn. You can't enjoy upgrading or buying better equipment because the game starts out on ridiculouslyAssassin's Creed, the whole series, is lacking. If there was ever a gaming company that needed, NEEDED to listen to its customers and get feedback from gamers, its this one. There is NO difficulty setting and the fighting combat is so easy its boring. Circle to block and square to kill. Yawn. You can't enjoy upgrading or buying better equipment because the game starts out on ridiculously easy mode and if you upgrade anything you could hand your controller to a blind person and they would easily win every fight.

You can't control what you see on your display. So if you don't want to see every enemy on the map in red, you can't use the display at all cause you can't turn off any of the display settings, its all or none. And by none, I mean you just don't look at the display, you can't turn it off either, its always there in the lower left. The game gives bonuses for stealth but doesn't have a crouch button. Crouching is automated and going from one bush to the next means standing up to get there, which often means getting spotted. Not that it matters, you can't die in combat unless you are disabled and have no arms and have to play with your toes.

Every new AC is more of the same ol same ol. I keep waiting for them to make the combat more challenging and allowing you to crouch when YOU want to, but no. I keep waiting for some totally new environment, but all the AC's look basically the same. Trees, tall buildings with viewpoints, mountains, roads, blah blah blah....BORING. Seriously I think they take the same templates in every game for every tree, road, bush, city, person, body of water etc.

TO play AC for the first time, you would probably really enjoy the game for awhile. But why keep playing the new AC's when they are all basically the same. No one is trying over there. I would fire the whole staff and bring in some fresh young minds to push the envelope. Someone needs to save this franchise from its inevitable descent into gaming boredom, before its too late.

I love the concept, I love the WAY the side missions are presented. I love the open world, but for GOD sakes, when they release a NEW AC, I wish it felt like something new and not some recycled, lackluster effort of a game.
  12. Jan 19, 2014
    The game itself was good. But the story line was way off of previous Assassin Creed games. The game wasn't a true Assassin Creed it was a pirate game more then anything if one was to throw Jack Sparrow into it as the main captain it would be a great Pirate game, but either way it wasn't Assassin Creed. Ubisoft Almost failed with the game completely
  13. Jan 30, 2014
    boycott this franchise please! All assasin's creed has done is just recycle, recycle, recyle. If you compare the characters and maps etc from the previous titles in the franchise, they just take the same stuff and repackage it. I used to be a huge fan of MP of the series, but just got bored after they just repackage the same stuff repeatedly.
    Now I tried out MP in blackflag I can spot
    Now I tried out MP in blackflag I can spot characters recycled from brotherhood, revelations etc...
    It's just terrible! guys, boycott the franchise so they will actually put some energy into creating new titles instead of recycling old ones!
    don't buy this game if you played previous title/titles!
  14. Feb 2, 2014
    I would like to first point out that the graphics of Assassin's Creed IV for the PS4 is mediocre. My first edition PS3 has about the same graphics. Now I know that these starter games do not incorporate the whole visual display I expected some improvement. The campaign is somewhat lengthy like all AC games but the multiplayer experience has been degraded. The locking mechanism is awful,I would like to first point out that the graphics of Assassin's Creed IV for the PS4 is mediocre. My first edition PS3 has about the same graphics. Now I know that these starter games do not incorporate the whole visual display I expected some improvement. The campaign is somewhat lengthy like all AC games but the multiplayer experience has been degraded. The locking mechanism is awful, the game servers are useless, and the gaming mechanics went downhill. Aside from the story in campaign mode this new Assassin's Creed has been a huge disappointment. Expand
  15. Feb 9, 2014
    PS4 version of Assassins Creed Black Flag.
    Graphics are PS3 quality for a start they are decent but still PS3 standard and this is the PS4 version.
    I really wanted to like this game but after the first hour or so I just found it so repetitive that it was a choir to play. I haven't played an Assassins Creed game since the first one and other than the step in graphics there was nothing
    PS4 version of Assassins Creed Black Flag.
    I haven't played an Assassins Creed game since the first one and other than the step in graphics there was nothing new which really disappointed me.

Poor game for the PS4.
  16. Mar 10, 2016
    The worst Assassin's Creed game ever. Player controls, level design, AI, glitches everywhere... one of the worst games I've ever played.. can't remember worse right now.
  17. Dec 28, 2014
    I bought this game after a long hiatus from the AC world, expecting to see sweeping changes. Ive always loved the idea and lore behind the AC story. Your part of an elite group of assasins who have existed throughout history fighting the templar. Whats not to like.

Alas, it was my expectations that made me regret ever purchasing this game. Everything is pretty much the same except you are now in the Caribbean!

Things flow out like this, go to said location, climb tower and unlock part of that area and the tasteless repetitive side quests. I wouldnt mind that if the actual gameplay/fighting wasnt as bad. Instead however, the combat is easy repetitive and boring. You are always faced with the same three enemies. Officers, Normal soldiers, and some burly guy with an axe. And once you figure out how to deflect (press O) its so easy that it doesnt even matter if you get swarmed.

The naval combat was fun, it is enjoyable to sail around and listen to your crew sing their shanties as you wreak havock on merchants and ports (which you can attack). However, once your jackdaw was upgraded fully and you took down the legendary ships even naval warfare came to be another repititive issue. (Attack ships, taking low health, board enemy ship, animation cuts fight with all other ships, kill all on board, regain ships health).

For the stealth misions, i found it out that there is no actual stealth button. However, it is fairly easy to go through a mission stealthy regardless (enemies are not to bright).

Multiplayer, I found to be an interesting aspect but nearly died from boredom to reach level 55 and unlock that last trophy to hit that platinum.

The good:

AC really has the free run aspect nailed down
    Naval warfare was alot of fun
    Indepth story if you can connect all the AC games together
    Shanties were great to listen to

The bad:

Major issue: Repetitive game play which has you doing the same things over and over and over and over again.
    Combat not diverse enough
    Combat extremely easy
    Multi player loses taste after a few hours

no stealth mode.

Bottom Line: If you are an AC fan and cant get enough I would get this game. Otherwise, I would steer clear. There are other games out there that offer a greater variety in enemies, more challenging combat, and a story mode which is clear to anyone who hasnt been playing AC since its release.
  18. Mar 23, 2015
    I really wanted to like this game but the lack of control over the character's movement is so bad that I couldn't even get through the first level after the tutorial. He jumps when I intend him to run or walk or while trying to be stealthy - it's exceedingly frustrating.
  19. Apr 17, 2015
    This game suffers unfortunately from what I like to call "Out of Place Level Syndrome" This game has no idea what is wants to be. At first it starts as more of an action game where you ride across the seas and plunder ships and kill for blood. And then you're lazily put into these forced stealth missions where you're NOT ALLOWED TO KILL ANYONE. The name of the game is ASSASSIN'S Creed.This game suffers unfortunately from what I like to call "Out of Place Level Syndrome" This game has no idea what is wants to be. At first it starts as more of an action game where you ride across the seas and plunder ships and kill for blood. And then you're lazily put into these forced stealth missions where you're NOT ALLOWED TO KILL ANYONE. The name of the game is ASSASSIN'S Creed. Emphasis on the word ASSASSIN. It's a very nice word. An Assassin is a person who kills, not a person who does't kill because of arbitrary rules. It's only fun for the first 2 hours and after that it's just lazy mission after lazy mission. Don't pick up this game unless you want to pay 40$ for 2 hours of fun. And if you are that person then you're insane. Expand
  20. Sep 6, 2016
    Second worst experience of my life only behind turning up to Keith Vaz's house with no poppers. Dated and stale game-play and hideously boring missions. But hey, you get to sing sea shanties so it gets one point.
  21. Jul 2, 2016
    I stuck it through to the end though with much toil. Play the game mindlessly and you’re in for half (or less) of a treat.

STRENUOUSLY dull. Repetitive map layouts. Repetitive missions. Rinse and repeat gameplay. An unfortunate feat for what is actually quite a beautiful game. Shoddy story-telling. Didn’t know what was happening most of the time. Didn’t care for half the characters.

Virtually sail your life away.

ON the UP side, however, being a pirate is rewardingly cool. Voice accents are pulled off well. There are one liners here and there which will have you with a fist in the air, spouting, aye aye cap’n for sure, that was me.

“At the edge of a blade, I find a friend in you at last…”
  22. Jul 10, 2020
    All Ubisoft games is failure, boring and pointless is not worth wasting hours of your life.
  23. Jun 13, 2015
    Black Flag: The Pirate Simulator.

Black Flag: The Pirate Simulator.

This game doesn't feel like an Assassin's Creed game at all. You spend most of your time sailing around shooting ships. The actual story is one of the worst scripted games I've ever played. The character arcs are ridiculous and nonsensical, the characters themselves are boring and uninteresting, the 'twists are predictable and again uninteresting (e.g Mary).

The game feels unfinished and abandoned, with bugs and issues such as characters becoming invisible during missions so then you have to restart, or the uplay integration not working at all, and therefore syncing with the much drummed-up Android companion app just not happening.

Developers literally gave up on the game once it was out the door.

Trying as hard as I can to forget this was an Assassins Creed game, and to try to enjoying it for what it is (Pirate Simulator) it's still impossible to actually get much enjoyment for this game. Each pointless and dull story mission doesn't seem to really go anywhere, showing 'rate this mission feedback' prompt after every game chapter... note to developers, this is an annoying enough prompt on Android or iOS, keep the crap away from consoles.

The link from this game to the rest of the series is almost non-existent, the over-saturation of Americanism that Ubisoft have forced on to the series really takes it toll by this game, it was heavy-handed in AC3, but playable, and Liberation at least had a good story to tell, but Black Flag really just has no point being American, the whole world had sailors and pilots, yet it just highlights how Ubisoft were appealing only to the American Market.

So far this is the worst in the series, and with Unity opened and ready next to the tv, I fear what I am to expect for this game. Such a great series ruined for no particular reason.

Onto the visuals. Obviously the best looking AC game so far (as technology dictates) but the ridiculous frequency of hurricanes and rain storms outweighs the pretty environments, and the joy of sailing around.

The mini games are tedious and feel very forced into the game. The Kenwood Fleet battles are repetitive and boring, just select any decent ship you've taken and it'll give you a 100% success rate...so why even bother playing? The diving sub-levels are horribly frustrating, trying to swim around 8-10 sharks when they can easily swim twice the speed you can, with no way to defend yourself, whilst avoiding jellyfish and spiky urchins in narrow passages, while dodging pillars of rock as currents drag you through tunnels... not fun in the slightest.

Even swimming in the original tomb raider game was more enjoyable than Black Flag, back in 1996. How a game made 18 years later with thousands of games to take influence from - made such a terrible underwater diving sub-game is insane.

All Animus related levels were shallow, boring and terribly limited. No challenge to the 'computer hacking' mini-levels, just trial and error, and Black Flags version of 'the truth secrets' is just pitiful.

If this game was released as a new franchise, not linked to Assassins Creed in any way, with a completely different plot, and direction, with fewer bugs and side characters, and no sub-games, this could've been more like Red Dead Redemption: Pirates. An exploitative experience with bandits (pirates) and attacking wild animals. With a stronger character arc, and a somewhat interesting mix of side characters, this game could've been something memorable. Instead it's just a failure. A failure as a cinematic game, a failure as an Assassin's Creed game, a failure as a captivating experience, and even a failure as a pirate simulator, despite being clearly orientated as trying to be just that.
  24. Jun 25, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For me, I was extremely stoked for the game when it was announced. They advertised so many things that I should love the game when I play it. But, nope, this game is nothing more than foolish game design and blatant FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. They claimed you could FULLY customize your ship, go into taverns and recruit your own crew, sails the seas, all the while playing as an Assassin that is a double-agent of both the Assassins and the Templars. And also boasted that you can now dual-wield weapons. All of that was a lie. The dual wield isn't even dual wielding. Every weapon is just two of that weapon treated as one weapon slot. You can't freely choose what weapon to put in each hand. Let's also add that you CANNOT USE SINGLE WEAPONS ANYMORE. No heavy weapons, no one-hand swords, nothing. Just the genreic paired cutlasses, paired backswords, paired rapiers, etc. The recruitment thing was a lie. All you do in walk in front of the entrance of a tavern (can't even **** go inside) and beat up a few people and they magically join you (historically that's completely inaccurate,, there would be more you have to do other than beating the snot out of them to get them to join you, if anything they'll ttry to kill you from now on). The ship customization was the WORST offense. The double agent was a lie. The man you get your assassin's outfit from was a double agent, betraying the assassins for the templars. All you do is play a privateer who happens to kill him and disguise himself as him. He doesn't work for either side and doesn't care about either side. He just wants 'teh manies'. The worst one they lied about was the ship customization. The entire game you're stuck with using a dainty little, wimpy Brig. Yes, you can upgrade its defense and the like and put plates or parts on the body of the ship or change the figurehead...but that's it. Me, I love ships and this is a huge letdown. My preference is a vessel that isn't small (ie: a ship that doesn't have the deck close to the water). People told me that the Jackdaw is fine once you upgrade it. But that makes it EVEN WORSE. Yeah, it's historically accurate to have a teeny brig take out a bunch of Manowars. TOTALLY ACCURATE. That's like saying a Yacht can sink RMS Olympic..yeah, no. They could have at least give you an option at some point in the game to create a new ship or use one of the ones you captured and able to switch between it and the Jackdaw whenever but restrict the Story to being Jackdaw only. You had a brig in III and again in IV is another stupid Brig. I get it, historically they were the fastest ships during the time, but it's historically unrealistic for Edward to have that dainty thing and go through all these massive powerful ships and having other people use it. Wouldn't it be more sensible to having a more durable and stronger vessel, carry more crewmembers and hell, have a more THREATENING looking ship? Even during that time period Brigs weren't taken very seriously during warfare because of how unresilient they are. More to that, why would a pirate religiously keep to a Brig, why? To be a good pirate your vessel should be, you know, INTIMIDATING. They really dropped the ball with that. The one game they make that focuses on ships, sailing, and naval combat, it's completely RUINED by not being able to customize the ship. I get it, Edward likes the ship, but I don't. The worst part is, early on in the game you have to commandeer a Galleon. After that they say they're going to use it while you are doing your thing. Guess what? Some time later, I found it while sailing...marooned on an island. And I can't use it. So, another lie. And a kick to my face with that. The very fact the stupid Brig can be so durable because of pieces you put on its body and it can take down the most formidable ships of that period by just upgrading her is a complete insult and hilariously historically inaccurate. Might as well call it Assassin's Creed IV: The Little Brig That Could
    The only good points is, the naval combat and sailing is fun. But when I'm restricted to the smallest ship during that time period, it's completely ruined. They really could have added a creatable ship for the PS4 version, the PS4 could handle it, but they dropped the ball on that. I wouldn't mind if I have to beat the game to be able to create a new ship! There's a reason why I think Unity was a vastly superior game to this.
  25. Feb 8, 2016
    This addition to the series is terrible. It was good for the first couple of hours, but it became extremely repetitive. The main story to Assassin's Creed, the one I've been wanting to finish, has been completely ignored and is not included to the game. This is the first Assassin's Creed game I didn't finish, and is the last game I'm purchasing. Since they aren't going to finish the story,This addition to the series is terrible. It was good for the first couple of hours, but it became extremely repetitive. The main story to Assassin's Creed, the one I've been wanting to finish, has been completely ignored and is not included to the game. This is the first Assassin's Creed game I didn't finish, and is the last game I'm purchasing. Since they aren't going to finish the story, I regret buying all of the previous games. Thank you for destroying what was once the best video game series I've played. Expand
  26. May 23, 2020
    What i liked :
    - the way how developers packed up ground and sea gameplay mechanics
    - world detalization. On PS3 it looks the same as on PS4 and it looks amazing. Its actually polished AC 3 engine, which was a breakthrough it time of AC3. - Game packed with side activities related to Caribean Pirate theme. - Water battles looks very impressive. And now come sad things (( : - Name
    What i liked :
    - the way how developers packed up ground and sea gameplay mechanics
    - Game packed with side activities related to Caribean Pirate theme.
    - Water battles looks very impressive.
    And now come sad things (( :
    - Name of the game is wrong : there is 5% about assassins and 95% about pirates. Ubisoft should do these games (Black flag and Rogue) as separate IP.
    - Main story is poorly written and flat . It stimulates to skip boring cutscenes pretty soon.
    - Main protagonist constantly wines about money : mone , money that , lifetime money , blah blah money. Actually the whole story is about drunkard who always wants to get more money. Other side characters are even more mediocre and you barely can recall their names when you see them.
    - Around 75% of the gameplay you will spend on getting on the ship , getting off the ship , and boringly sailing . In couple of hours you will be tired of songs that you crew sing and you will question yourself , why developers did not add the button DISABLE SONGS PERMANENTLY into the option menu, instead of forcing you to press down button regularly.
    - Because of the setting of the whole game (pirates , ships , masts , ropes) there are a lot of small objects around the player all the time, which makes AC3 style "stick to closest object" traversal mechanic to go crazy and most of the time you are trying to fight controls , instead of enjoy smooth parkour run.
    - All side activities are insanely repetative and do not contain any entertainment information around them : open X chests , gather X prisms , open X bottles ... etc

Overall it is very nieche game , for the people who are obsessed with Pirates and sailing thema. It should be called Pirate Simulator instead of AC.
  27. Nov 23, 2020
    I had high hope that this game may convince me to the series, but unfortunately it just repeats mistakes of previous parts. The map is huge indeed, but it's filled with repetitive tasks only, and after few hours of playing you start to get bored. Sea scenery doesn't help at all with boredom. Main story and pirate theme would be interesting if the gameplay wasn't so discouraging. Most ofI had high hope that this game may convince me to the series, but unfortunately it just repeats mistakes of previous parts. The map is huge indeed, but it's filled with repetitive tasks only, and after few hours of playing you start to get bored. Sea scenery doesn't help at all with boredom. Main story and pirate theme would be interesting if the gameplay wasn't so discouraging. Most of the missions are based on easy sneaking tasks or very simple combat. It looks like an interesting game with great graphics, but sadly it's not engaging at all. Expand
  28. May 26, 2021
    This game is a huge dumpster fire. The game has one of the worst par core systems ever. Edward would jump on random things if you are trying to do a chase sequence and then you will loose the person you are chasing. The missions are so repetitive with terrible characters other than Edward. The naval combat is ok but even on 2021 the game has so many bugs its crazy on how Ubisoft releasesThis game is a huge dumpster fire. The game has one of the worst par core systems ever. Edward would jump on random things if you are trying to do a chase sequence and then you will loose the person you are chasing. The missions are so repetitive with terrible characters other than Edward. The naval combat is ok but even on 2021 the game has so many bugs its crazy on how Ubisoft releases games that are unfinished all the time and get away with it. Expand
  29. May 8, 2021
    Great game but not user friendly on Nintendo switch. Love it otherwise. It bugs out allot on switch in my experience

Generally favorable reviews - based on 29 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 20, 2014
    The PlayStation 4 version of the game is mechanically the same as the PlayStation 3 version, but the new engine is eye-poppingly awesome.
  2. Ubisoft significantly improved the multiplayer side of things. Also, story takes you places.
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    It’s difficult to imagine Assassin’s Creed ever leaving the sea behind.