7.9

1. Jun 23, 2015
    The hype got me again, this game felt like its more about Joker than anybody else, the Batmobile combat is not great at all, the sound effects in the while fighting thugs feels weird, the graphics are the best for a 3rd party game, MGS V TPP will own any game that was and is going to be released this year.
  2. Jun 24, 2015
    In my opinion, so far the game is nothing special compared to other Arkham games. It is more or less the same as the other Arkham games with a new story, better graphics and now you can drive a car.

The driving is a bit 'Clunky' but then again, the game isn't really about the driving. That is more of a side thing. I think it would have been better to focus on other things and forget about the car driving.

Overall its still decent but nothing we haven't seen before.
  3. Jul 18, 2015
    Update: Dam Biggest Disappointment of 2015

No Challenge Maps. (before you say it, the Ar missions are not Challenge maps they are watered down bullshyt) No Real Boss Battles (except for Riddler sorta after you get the 300 riddler trophies).. Unsatisfying Ending. The Arkham Knight Identity was lame. Arkham Knight fight was terrible Side quest were so lame. There was no depth to the
    Update: Dam Biggest Disappointment of 2015

Unsatisfying Ending.
    The Arkham Knight Identity was lame.
    Arkham Knight fight was terrible
    Side quest were so lame. There was no depth to the sidequest example: Hush sidequest was a quicktime event such a let down.
    Robin and Nightwing cameo sections were so short
    Can't Free Roam with Robin and Nightwing after you beat the game
    Cant even play as robin in the ar missions.smh
    Too many Tank Battles.
    Penguin and Two Face were throw away villains.
  4. Jun 23, 2015
    If this game wasn't associated with Batman the scores would be much worse, its OK, just another mediocre Batman game. Witcher 3 is a much better game in every way, better story, better graphics, better gameplay.
  5. Jun 23, 2015
    Well, since everyone is losing their virginity over this game, I might as well review it:

It was okay. I won't lie, the graphics are phenomenal, the story is good, and the controls aren't bad. HOWEVER! The game does have some problems: There are times when the game wasn't running that well on my PS4 and I sometimes felt that the game didn't really add much new. I also felt that the Batmobile was a little overpowered at times, as you can just shoot people and run them over.

So do I recommend it? Only at your own risk. I suggest waiting until the price drops to $40 or something before buying it. At its current state, I feel as if Rocksteady has tricked me out of my money. Go ahead, dislike this comment for not loving this game, I'm just stating my opinion here.
  6. Feb 13, 2016
    I've played all of the Arkham games to date, and I have to say that Arkham Knight was ok to say the least. I did enjoy playing the main story but it got way too predictable as the game went on. Scarecrow is an excellent villain and was portrayed well for the majority of the time. Having a massive Gotham at your disposal was fun too, and you could do a lot in your free time when not doingI've played all of the Arkham games to date, and I have to say that Arkham Knight was ok to say the least. I did enjoy playing the main story but it got way too predictable as the game went on. Scarecrow is an excellent villain and was portrayed well for the majority of the time. Having a massive Gotham at your disposal was fun too, and you could do a lot in your free time when not doing any main quests. I will say this though, the game still has the same repetitive fighting style and the bat-mobile is awful at controlling. Many of the side quests can get tedious as well, on top of trying to deal with enemy vehicles that pack a huge punch. I will say that this game isn't the best Arkham game but it is worth buying. It may not have a ton of replay value, but it's a nice game that wraps up the series. Expand
  7. Sep 12, 2019
    Welcome to World of Tank Gotham Edition! Kind of...
    Welcome to World of Tank Gotham Edition! Kind of...
    Batman Arkham Knight is overall a pretty good game, the visual aspect is really well done, this is a great open world in Gotham, the voice acting and music score was really awesome and the main story is well conceived. Most of the main mission are really interesting and nice to play. The wrong part came from the side mission, most of them are really annoying and absolutely unnecessary, most of them does not feet the main story at all. And the very wrong part came from the Batmobile mission, and there's really a lot of them. This looks like an eternal battle with stupid tanks and all these parts are exactly the same. Just boring as a World of Tanks game was. That's sad since this is really about reduce the quality of the game, and even if you choose to do not do the side mission you have anyway a lot of them in the main arc missions too. And what is really wrong is you need to do all the side missions if you expect to have to correct complete ending and that's a shame since as I've said the game is really good otherwise.
  8. Jul 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In all honesty, the game really isn't even that good anyway, the game itself to me anyway, did not live up to the hype., Its nowhere near the levels of the first two games. The only good thing about it this game is the hand to hand combat, every thing else is horrible. There are spoilers in what I'm about to say, so do not read if you haven't beaten the game yet.

The boss fights are horrible, the only good Boss Fight in the game, is in the Redhood DLC and thats because Black Mask can't be taken down with one hit...he actually has a life bar and its actually a challenge,

The Batmobile is extremely annoying because its used for 90% of everything, You spend a good majority of times fighting tanks, which gets annoying and bothersome.

you HAVE to find all 200 something RIddler challenges and such to even fight the Riddler to actually beat the game. I'm sorry, I did it in A.A and when I saw the weak pay off in that, I didn't bother collecting the riddler stuff in A.C, I literally beat every villain in that game, Including saving Gotham from Scarecrow and I have yet to get the ending because I didn't collecting all the Riddler Trophies, So it really looks like I wont be beating the game, because im not wasting my time collecting Riddler crap. I did the first 9 Riddler Revenge challenges, I should have been able to fight him and beat him then. So since I didn't do the riddler trophy crap, I just resorted to watching the ending on youtube instead.

They built up Hush in Arkham City like something big would happen annnnnnnd....what happened? Lucius Fox hits him with a Lamp and Batman knocks him out with one punch. Whhhhhhhhhhhhy?

They made Deathstroke such a joke in that game., He always called Batman out for hiding behind his armory, what does Deathstroke show up in? Why a Tank of course.....and after you beat said tank, Deathstroke just hops out of his tank and blindly jumps at Batman, to get knocked out with one punch.....something Deathstroke would never do because he isn't a bumbling villain.....

You dont even fight Scarecrow, you walk around as The Joker in Batmans head, doing absolutely nothing most of the time, then you watch a cutscene of Batman over coming the fear toxin and he makes Scarecrow inject himself with his own fear toxin...I couldn't even get yet another boss fight that consisted of waves of enemies and atleast do that to Scarecrow afterwards?

Whats the point of putting the entire Batfamily in the game, when you can't even play as any of them for more than 5 minutes? Seriously? Like, after I beat this game, I can't just freely roam around Gotham as anyone? I could do that in Arkham City and I actually enjyed that different pace of playing as Catwoman, so why would you take out an awesome feature like that? You know how fun it would be for people to run around Gotham after they beat the game as Nightwing? or Robin? or the Readhood? or Catwoman?

OH.....and speaking of Redhood. Rocksteady said the Arkham Knight would be a completely NEW CHARACTER CREATED SPECIFICALLY FOR THEIR GAMES UNIVERSE.....Guess who the Arkham Knight is? Why its one of the oldest characters in Batman history of course, Jason Todd! That is...not a new character....that is a character that was created in 1983.....

Im happy Rocksteady is done with Batman, I feel they just fell victim to doing the same franchise and not working on anything else other then Batman. Hopefully their next game will let them set the bar in what an action game should be.
  9. Aug 13, 2015
    Pros: The story of this game was very enjoyable. It wrapped up the series perfectly. The best part of this game was, without a doubt, the Joker's commentary during the main storyline. I could honestly listen to the Joker commentate about batman doing his job all day. The human combat scenes were fun and pretty enjoyable and similar to the last Arkham games while still seeming new andPros: The story of this game was very enjoyable. It wrapped up the series perfectly. The best part of this game was, without a doubt, the Joker's commentary during the main storyline. I could honestly listen to the Joker commentate about batman doing his job all day. The human combat scenes were fun and pretty enjoyable and similar to the last Arkham games while still seeming new and interesting. Completing storylines and missions was incredibly fun and mostly not tedious, with the exception of the riddler's storyline.

Cons: When the batmobile was initially introduced I was excited. The batmobile had a really cool combat system and was a lot of fun for the player. This combat system and the tank combat time, however, was COMPLETELY overused. In fact, it went from the point where I absolutely loved the tank gameplay to almost quitting the game because of it's repetitiveness. Another large con that brought this game down was the lack of boss battles. The tank boss battles were very anticlimactic, tedious, and, for a lack of better words, stupid. Death stroke beaten in a tank boss battle? Really? The last con is the lack of free roaming with catwoman. Catwoman free roaming in Arkham city was possibly the best idea in the entire Arkham series. With catwoman it feels like your playing a new game entirely while being just as fun. For some reason, though, game developers couldn't continue that in Arkham Knight, even though they let you play as catwoman in the riddler challenges.

Despite the three large cons, everything else about this game was really enjoyable. You really can't go wrong with a game in the Arkham series, especially considering that this is probably the worst out of the series and is still really enjoyable.
  10. Jun 30, 2015
    If I were to sum up this game in 5 words, it would be "It's a good, FLAWED game." I liked it and hated it at the same time. I LOVED the story and the characters.

The gameplay has some bad problems though...I hated the batmobile, how it was overused compared to everything else, and don't get me started on the sloppy movement. And the controls! Hold square for reverse??? I also don't

I also don't like how the pre-planned season pass seperated content that should have been in the game to begin with. There was great variety in side missions, but some of them went on for too long that it became a tedious grind to complete. And I think it's absolutely stupid how you need to 100% everything to get the best ending even if it makes sense for the sake of concluding the story.

And lastly, the riddles...some of the trophies are unattainable if you don't have the correct upgrade, making them missable if you sucked all the XP you can get out of the current playthrough, thus locking you out of the real ending, thus forcing you to play through New Game+ to get everything right. That is f***ing harsh, and something that should be patched immediately. Perhaps Rocksteady should let us players continuously earn XP from street fights, like in the previous games?

Despite my subjective and personal hatred towards this game, it is still a decent game in general that should keep you busy for at least a week. But it is a HUGE disappointment after what we got from Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. I am sad that this fantastic series is over...but at the same time, after playing this game, I also can't help but think - good riddance!
  11. Jun 30, 2015
    I'm torn because I feel like I should rate the game higher since I played it so much but I found Arkham Knight to be like a meal that looks great but isn't entirely satisfying. Graphically, yes, it looks pretty amazing; HOWEVER, I am left wondering how much is being obscured by the dark, rainy ambiance. Unreal Engine 3 is aging and it hasn't really aged well, not into this new generationI'm torn because I feel like I should rate the game higher since I played it so much but I found Arkham Knight to be like a meal that looks great but isn't entirely satisfying. Graphically, yes, it looks pretty amazing; HOWEVER, I am left wondering how much is being obscured by the dark, rainy ambiance. Unreal Engine 3 is aging and it hasn't really aged well, not into this new generation at least, so I think rocksteady is getting away with hiding the blemishes with the setting. Whatever the case, they did it well and it looks really good.

The problem, at least for me, is that the gameplay is more of the same Arkham series stuff with an (arguably) inferior control scheme. If you've played any of the games in the series, then you already know what the combat is like. Mash the right combos for the right enemies, hit evade when the warning prompt shows up over enemies' heads, pick up a weapon and free flow into using your gadgets. If you're a huge fan of the series, then you won't be disappointed except, maybe, for how Batman feels sluggish more than in the past. If you're looking for something new, you're in for a disappointment. EXCEPT FOR...

The Batmobile is finally here! Unfortunately, it's way overused to the point of frustration (looking at you, 7+ Cobra Tanks at once) and, really, it's just the same combat situation as on ground: Evade missiles when you see the prompts, fire your vulcan cannon and 60mm gun to build your combo meter, unleash your combos when you've built up enough. Different song but same dance. The camera following the Batmobile when in car mode is novel at first as it gives you a real sense of movie action hero gameplay but, because the Batmobile is used for way too many elements in the game, the camera starts to become a bothersome hindrance.

If you want the FULL ending, you MUST 100% the game. I will openly admit that I did not as I ended at 95.4% completion. I did everything BUT collect all 243(!) of the Riddler Trophies. I have better things to do with my time than collect 243 obscure trophies. Sorry Riddler, I have YouTube. The side quests are fun distractions that bring out a bunch of other super villains but some of them border on way too long - especially those gated by the story missions (watchtowers and road checkpoints, specifically).

All in all, I do feel I got my money's worth but I have a bit of buyer's remorse because I doubt I'm ever going to touch it again. The AR missions do give it a good bit of replay value, as does the New Game+, but after trekking through the main story and all the side missions, I really can't see myself going back to do it again or wanting to challenge myself in AR missions for minimal (or no) reward. It's better than most games have been of late, so there's that.. but most games of late have set the bar pretty low (Witcher 3 not withstanding).
  12. Aug 13, 2015
    This game would be a 10 but for the god-awful forced inclusion of the batmobile. It feels like innovation for innovation's sake. The traversal and combat is as good as ever and if anything, it's been refined to near-perfection, and the visuals are beautiful but the BatTank feels out of place. it's large role in every mission makes it so you can't overlook it either. Overall, playable butThis game would be a 10 but for the god-awful forced inclusion of the batmobile. It feels like innovation for innovation's sake. The traversal and combat is as good as ever and if anything, it's been refined to near-perfection, and the visuals are beautiful but the BatTank feels out of place. it's large role in every mission makes it so you can't overlook it either. Overall, playable but skippable. Expand
  13. Jul 30, 2015
    I'm a big fan of Arkham Series and I think Arkham City one of the greatest games ever.
    BUT
    I'm honestly disappointed in third part. Now we have whole Gotham to explore,better graphics, some improvements and main thing is batmobile which screwed everything ! Seriously where is normal boss battles? Game is relying toooo much on batmobile. Do not misunderstand me I like batmobile but its
    BUT
    Game is relying toooo much on batmobile. Do not misunderstand me I like batmobile but its way too much.
    Villains are not that great and Arkham Knight not deserves to be on title of the game. I like psychological aspect.
  14. Jul 29, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was so close to being legendary but did everything it could to mess it up. The story is great, the side quest are plentiful and the game makes you feel like the world's greatest detective. However, the game decides to ruin everything. All of Batman's enemies are free following the disaster of Arkham City but your only able to fight against a handful of them. To add insult to injury the boss battles are by far the weakest of the series. Several of the boss battles consist of Batmobile fights, aka and generic tank battle. I love the addition of the batmobile but not when I am fighting a featured villain. It is hard not to blame Warner Brothers for the missed connection of this game. I can almost picture Rocksteady telling Warner they need to delay the launch for a couple months to put in the final touches and Warner saying "screw that, release whatever you got and sell the fans the rest over the next six months. Very disappointed by still a good game. Expand
  15. Aug 25, 2016
    This game kinda requires that you have played the previous games. I get it, it makes no sense for Batman to forget all his moves from the previous game, only to relearn everything again. But for a newcomer to the series, it was overwhelming number of button combinations to learn. And no tutorial.

As for button combinations... When you spend experience points to improve a skill, what happens is that you get a new button combination for the improved version. Way too many combinations to keep the game fun.

Finding to your next objective is confusing. Story is underwhelming. The game is just not fun to play, and no amount of fast loading times, great graphics and sound is going to make up for that.

If you've played the previous games and liked them, you'll most likely like this one. Otherwise, skip it.
  16. Jul 8, 2015
    It really all comes down to one thing. If you love the Batmobile, this game is a 9 or 10. If you don't, it's a 7... I didn't. I think there is generally too much racing/chasing and too many repetitive tank battles. I also thought that the stealth tank parts were absolutely brutal. On top on that, this game seriously lacked good Boss Fights. It's not a bad game and anyone giving itIt really all comes down to one thing. If you love the Batmobile, this game is a 9 or 10. If you don't, it's a 7... I didn't. I think there is generally too much racing/chasing and too many repetitive tank battles. I also thought that the stealth tank parts were absolutely brutal. On top on that, this game seriously lacked good Boss Fights. It's not a bad game and anyone giving it less than a 5 is a troll but I didn't enjoy Knight nearly as much as City. Like City, the combat and predator parts are excellent but I personally feel that the Batmobile was Subtraction by Addition. Expand
  17. Jun 30, 2015
    Too many bugs, not even 60 FPS, crappy content spread around 10 different retailers, seemed it got cut into pieces and sold separately. Leader boards dont work and seems less and less of an effort from Rocksteady. With his many bugs on release it will show what game critic got paid for the review is its anything over 8.
  18. Aug 18, 2019
    Batmobile sucks
    Boss fights suck
    Arkham Knight talks so much crap
    Scarecrow isn't even the main villain
    Side Missions are terrible and repetitive

Worst way to end a good series
  19. Aug 18, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 7/10 -> Combat and city traversal as batman are great, but the dependence on the batmobile brings the game down.

Finished the game 100%, it could have been a lot better.

+ The combat has a few new tricks to it, and overall feels more polished.

+ The gliding mechanics were greatly improved since Arkham City, it is a joy to glide throughout Gotham.

+ Lots of quests and collectables throughout the game. Keeps you interested.

+ Graphically it's quite nice. The new bat-suit is amazing.

+ Apart from the boss fights, the story is pretty decent.

+ There are large groups of goons scattered throughout the city which allow you to engage in "1 VS Many" fights at any time.

- Bat-mobile tank functions/sections aren't very fun.

- The game centres far too much around the batmobile. It is required for nearly every mission and to be honest it feels very forced and lazy.

- Most of the boss fights are tank battles, it is incredibly boring and underwhelming. The boss fights that aren't tank battles are simple predator sections. The only real boss fight is VS The Riddler and even then you spend most of the boss fight battling robots (his goons).
  20. Jun 25, 2015
    Game is beautiful...but it just feels so disjointed...the ebb and flow of the game just isn't there like the previous Batman games. The fact the game forces the Batmobile onto you on a few occasions isn't all that great as well..unlike the previous Batman games this one just doesn't feel polished. Still has the same mechanics that made this franchise great...but all in all I find thisGame is beautiful...but it just feels so disjointed...the ebb and flow of the game just isn't there like the previous Batman games. The fact the game forces the Batmobile onto you on a few occasions isn't all that great as well..unlike the previous Batman games this one just doesn't feel polished. Still has the same mechanics that made this franchise great...but all in all I find this version to be a bit bloated...it's a great rental gang don't waste your money on buying it. Expand
  21. Jun 25, 2015
    Batman Arkham Knight still has the fluid and great combat that the Batman series has always done while adding in some new features, Sadly some features are hardly ever used such as gliding and using gadgets because you must purchase an upgrade and even when you do its...not that rewarding. It does give you options. Batman has a huge arsenal of gadgets so the game does give you several wayBatman Arkham Knight still has the fluid and great combat that the Batman series has always done while adding in some new features, Sadly some features are hardly ever used such as gliding and using gadgets because you must purchase an upgrade and even when you do its...not that rewarding. It does give you options. Batman has a huge arsenal of gadgets so the game does give you several way to take down enemies. So its up to the player to explore those options. The Arkham Knght character was billed as being a brand new character and some of its key plot points were pointed out before the games release despite Developers told players they were wrong. There is some disappointment in this game. The batmobile is a fun addition which quickly soon turns in to a crutch. Where you must take the Batmobile just about everywhere, including inside buildings to solve puzzles, Riddler or not. Riddler is back and quite possibly boring more then ever. Side quest are reduced to instead of adding extra story elements to enrich the story to defeat soldiers x amount of times(10+) or disarm mines to engage in Bat tank vs Tank combat over x times(10+) and so on with no reward other than..its done. The games Story how ever is fully engaging despite Arkham Knight's identity is quite predictable Scarecrow and his Fear toxins puts you on a fun ride but sadly the batmobile quite possibly starts to ruin you experience. The game looks great and sounds better than ever.

Challenge Modes have also been removed. No longer can you pick Cat Woman, Nightwing, Robin/etc in predator missions or horde style map challenges, its just Batman with less stealth and more tank. For that reason I give a game that could have been the best, a 6 out of 10. It could have been a great game but it was ruined by weak side quest, Boss fights are all reduced to Bat Tank fights or cheap clone fights from previous games and the over abundance of the Batmobile is annoying.
  22. Jun 30, 2015
    after getting about 30% through,i can't but help think rocksteady have lost the love they had for this ip.arkham asylum had remarkable production values and pushed the boundaries for physics at the time.this just dosent have that love maybe some of the original designers have moved on.as to the game too much batmobile and who in their right mind thought cobra tanks where a good idea,i amafter getting about 30% through,i can't but help think rocksteady have lost the love they had for this ip.arkham asylum had remarkable production values and pushed the boundaries for physics at the time.this just dosent have that love maybe some of the original designers have moved on.as to the game too much batmobile and who in their right mind thought cobra tanks where a good idea,i am currently in a basement the same size as my living room fighting about 40 tanks and too be honest i dont want to load it up.
    i really hope they spend time on the pc version,this is wht we all want to see:_arkham knight in full glory.
    still a lot of game 7/10
  23. Jul 2, 2015
    I was really excited for Batman Arkham Knight, and really tried to like it. However, the game is absolutely drug down by the fact that you literally spend 2/3 of the game driving and battling it out in the batmobile/tank. I loved when you actually were able to play as batman, such as fighting and doing detective work, but the game focused too much on the batmobile, and even the sideI was really excited for Batman Arkham Knight, and really tried to like it. However, the game is absolutely drug down by the fact that you literally spend 2/3 of the game driving and battling it out in the batmobile/tank. I loved when you actually were able to play as batman, such as fighting and doing detective work, but the game focused too much on the batmobile, and even the side missions generally required it as well, such as the Riddler Missions. Honestly, the game creators should have titled it Batman: The Batmobile. Further, the DLC released for the game, such as the Harvey Quinn and Red Hood dlc were completely underwhelming. Also, the game has some issues/bugs, which impairs game play. If you love just driving around and battling it out in a tank then I recommend, but if you are actually wanting to play an actual batman game, I would choose Batman Arkham Asylum or Batman Arkham Knight, or at least wait until the game has dropped to $20. Expand
  24. Jul 5, 2015
    +Great Graphics, Good Story, Batman Universe
    -Batmobile gameplay ruins this game. Repetitive gameplay destroying drones and tanks which increase every level you advance. Gets ridiculous at times.
    -Other gameplay gets repetitive and old. It's a feeling of more of the same if you've played the other 2 games on 360/ps3.
  25. Jul 3, 2015
    A potentially fantastic game ruined completely by a complete overreliance on using the batmobile. If I wanted to play a tank game I'd have bought a tank game. The 30% of the game that actually features Batman is great though.
  26. Aug 27, 2015
    I understand some of the decisions made in this game but wtf with heavy reliance on the Batmobile. I loved Arkam City. This feels tedious. I'm disappointed in this game.
  27. Jul 29, 2015
    Its a fun game but the car parts in the game are just bad, also some of the combos in the game are kinda if'y. like the shield guys, my combo sometimes works and sometimes he just jumps right past them or runs oup there shield but no slam, but thats a small issue i worked around.
    Its really not bad but the car is just not needed.
  28. Jul 6, 2015
    Batman: Arkham Knight is a game that I wanted to blow me away, did it? not really, it's a same that is rushed, sloppy and overall, an impressive game but a complete mess. The story isn't very impressive, the Arkham Knight is just a ridiculous let down and the ending is just stupid, Scarecrow isn't really used at all and you meet him like twice, I adored the previous three games but thisBatman: Arkham Knight is a game that I wanted to blow me away, did it? not really, it's a same that is rushed, sloppy and overall, an impressive game but a complete mess. The story isn't very impressive, the Arkham Knight is just a ridiculous let down and the ending is just stupid, Scarecrow isn't really used at all and you meet him like twice, I adored the previous three games but this one did not do much for me, except for the environment, graphics and gameplay, story wise was just a big no. Expand
  29. Jul 8, 2015
    A little bit of the same, but that doesn't make this a game you don't want to play. Bigger, not especially better. As a fan of Arkham City, play this if you want more of the same with a nice storyline.
  30. Jul 9, 2015
    Okay so i had very high hopes for this game for a number of reason, first of all the release was pushed back several times to allow the developers to make sure that this game was all that it could be. Also this game was advertised as all of Gothams worst villains coming together to take down the bat with Scarecrow being the leader and then the arkham knight as well. However it was not thatOkay so i had very high hopes for this game for a number of reason, first of all the release was pushed back several times to allow the developers to make sure that this game was all that it could be. Also this game was advertised as all of Gothams worst villains coming together to take down the bat with Scarecrow being the leader and then the arkham knight as well. However it was not that at all. I was expecting it to take me some time to get through the game but the main story is very short and I finished this game in 3 days which is a little disappointed given all the hype about it. People are complaining about the Batmobile and while yes it is a bit much at times that was this games big selling point, the thing that the developers pushed the most so it would make sense that you would have to use it more in the game, I personally think they should have had it in the game but not made it such a bug part of the gameplay snd story line. I would have loved to go back to the bat cave since that element was introduced in Arkham Origins (yes i know different developers). I was expecting this game to rival Arkham City with its game play, intricate story line, multiple interesting side missions, new gadgets but it fell short of mu expectations, I personally think this game was way to over hyped. I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would and I have enjoyed all of the other games even Origins. One user wrote that is wasn't Batman: Askham Knight it was Batmoble: Arkham Knight which is entirely true. There is so much more I could say but it would border on spoilers and if you love the franchise you should play this game and form your own opinion. Expand
  31. Jul 12, 2015
    A batman game never felt so weirdly predictable and lazy.The PC version is awful that failed at release and still is a pain in the ass,but the game is fairly enjoyable and has awesome graphics.Overall,the game just felt weak.
  32. Jul 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love Asylum, City, and Origins so much. I had high hopes for this game. I would rate Asylum and City as prett much perfect games. I had no reason to think that Arkham Knight would be anything other than a masterpiece. The trailers were exceptional, the game play looked to expand the already amazing game play put forth in the previous games, the graphics are phenomenal, and we were going to have a Batmobile to cruise the streets of Gotham with. What could go wrong? How could this be anything other than incredible?
    My biggest complaint with Arkham Knight is the story. This is the final Arkham game (at least for Rocksteady) and Arkham City set the stage for an epic balls to the wall grand finale for the story they started in Arkham Asylum. City almost broke all the rules and had the balls to kill off a major character. So Arkham Knight's story really could have gone anywhere. The problem is the story of Arkham Knight holds no real surprises. I loved the thought of a mysterious new villain coming into the picture. Who is the Arkham Knight? My mind was preparing to be completely blown... Instead it is such an obvious reveal and the story makes no attempt to make you think it could be anyone other than Jason Todd that when the Arkham Knight finally removed his mask the only real reaction to be had is disappointment. It's really insulting to fans that Rocksteady thought we would be surprised by this reveal. Who was this surprise intended to impact? So much time is dedicated to the mystery of who the Arkham Knight is... It makes you wonder what was the point? Why all the mystery? Why lie and make us think it is an original character?
    Instead of making a meaningful dramatic finale story based around the already amazing villains who already exist in the Arkham Universe the bulk of the story is dedicated to the Arkham Knight.... who really does nothing. He spends millions on a army of drones and a militia trained to destroy Batman yet the plan from the beginning is to kill Batman at the right time! The Arkham Knight wants to kill Batman but every time he goes to, the Scarecrow wants him to wait for the right time... so what is this huge army supposed to really do? They can't kill Batman because that would kill the master plan? So why does the Arkham Knight need this army? What are they supposed to do when they fight Batman because they can't kill him? What's the point?
    The entire plot is convoluted and kind of pointless... ultimately to shoehorn Batman into the Knightfall Protocol? Why does Bruce Wayne need to "die" if no one really seems to care that he is Batman?
    Then there is the Joker. I understand why his presence is needed in the story. The Arkham franchise had been about the Joker as much as it has been about Batman. However i was excited to see a game where the Joker did not play a major role in the story. I wanted to see a story that moved past the Joker and left him behind to drive forward into new exciting territory. So once again if they go to the trouble to kill off such a major character to only have him be present around every corner in the game... what was the point of killing him off?
    Next is the Batmobile... This was perhaps the thing i was the most excited for but really is my least favorite part of the game. I don't like how much focus of the game is centered on the Batmobile. Shooting drones takes over about a third of the game? It feels like filler to me? It's repetitive and dull. That time would have been better served dealing with existing Batman villains.
    Which leads me to my next point. There are about 14 villains in the game but it feels like there are about five. No one is really given anything significant or interesting to do in Arkham Knight. Penguin is smuggling weapons, Two Face is robbing banks, Hush is transferring money, Scarecrow is monologing, the Riddler is building racetracks, Catwoman is a damzel in distress, ect. There are no boss battles! Why do we care what any of these villains are doing here? Penguin falls for Batman's trick five times and never adapts to it!
    The Man Bat was an exciting addition but all you do is glide up and tackle him three times.
    Next is there is no real environmental story telling. There is this massive incredibly rendered environment to explore but nothing really to find. 95% of the game takes place outside and there are no real set pieces like Wonder Tower or the Museum like in City. The previous games felt like they were real environments where the villains had craved out a place for themselves to live or operate out of. But the Gotham City somehow feels completely empty and devoid of real character.
    I think ultimately Rocksteady focused so much on the Batmobile and the Arkham Knight "reveal" that in the end all we have is a beautiful game that is technically a really fun game to play. ... but that has an uninspired story, a story that does nothing significant to give the characters any real progression or finality to the Arkham narrative.
  33. Aug 7, 2015
    Batmans story in this installment is wonderfully written. The combat with Batman is fantastic as always. There is a lot of focus on the Batmobile. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The controls are clunky, and it's very hard to control the Batmobile. Massive frame rate issues toward the end of the game. It just feels unfinished. My recommendation would be to wait until this titleBatmans story in this installment is wonderfully written. The combat with Batman is fantastic as always. There is a lot of focus on the Batmobile. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The controls are clunky, and it's very hard to control the Batmobile. Massive frame rate issues toward the end of the game. It just feels unfinished. My recommendation would be to wait until this title goes on sale. Expand
  34. Aug 10, 2015
    Let me start by saying I am 97% complete with the entire game and have played all the previous Arkham titles. This review is based on the PS4 version.

Story: The main campaign story is decent. The interactions with Joker are easily the highlight of the campaign. There are several moments that gave me goosebumps and caused me to play that extra 2 hours to see what happened next. Unfortunately, there is a lot of filler and the main villain is probably the least interesting character in the story. There is definitely a theme of investigate this, fight this guy, have a neutral outcome, and repeat. The biggest disappointment in the story was the Arkham Knight's reveal. It was foreshadowed much earlier on in the campaign and the hours of game play leading up to the reveal is rather frustrating since you know what is coming, yet hoops must be jumped through to get there. The side missions were fun for the first few rounds, but became VERY repetitive. The second biggest problem with the story is the fact you have to 100% every mission to see the full ending. Completionists may argue for this approach, however this is such a theatrical and story driven franchise that wasting hours and hours of collecting the hundreds of Riddler trophies sucks all the joy out of getting to see that full ending. 6/10

Game play: The combat is excellent as always. There is a lot of forgiveness in the sense that you can leap and punch people from tens of meters away and leap back to the previous enemy with a touch of a button. The early fights of the game are very easy. The more you progress, the harder the fights become. You won't get away with just spamming the punch button and I found the fights to be challenging, fair, and enjoyable. The two worst parts of the game mechanics are the batmobile and the "boss battles". First the batmobile is truely awesome.... for about the first 30 minutes. After you have played with it, realized how powerful you are, and leaped from the tops of buildings into the car, you quickly realize again the repetition required for every instance where the batmobile is required. Every encounter is boiled down to A) Guard X while it is assaulted by drones or B) Use the power winch to climb/charge Y. Some sequences are extra creative by combining the previously mentioned encounters. 4/10 for repetition of sequences and use of the batmobile.

Appearance: Gotham looks amazing. It is a shame that the PC version won't work properly because I can imagine that this game would be gorgeous. I encountered a few minor glitches that did not effect playing but did take away from the immersion. The voice acting is excellent as expected from the Arkham series. 8/10

Overall: Though I find this game VERY repetitive, it still kept my attention. I will say that I am biased because I just like batman. If you're not a completionist or into batman lore, I would think that many players would grow tired of the game at about the half way point. The repetition and predictable reveal bring the overall rating to a 6/10
  35. Aug 27, 2015
    I really was looking forward to this game, but it is unfortunately a disappointment. On the plus side, the graphics are incredible, the plot is interesting. combat/predator are great as always, and the environment is well thought out.

However, the game is ruined by the inclusion of the batmobile. It would have been okay to have it used sporadically, but it's practically forced on the player. The batmobile combat is boring, and the portions with the Cobra tanks are just laughable. Worse, there are no good boss fights in the game, and the Deathstroke boss fight is just lazy and poorly done.

It's a fun game otherwise, but the boss fights and tank battles really spoil what could have been an amazing game. Hate to say it, but I think this game ranks below Arkham Origins.
  36. Dec 27, 2015
    Batman Arkham knight does not live up to its predecessors City and asylum.

It got very fine aesthetic and soft gameplay, but.... The other Arkham knight games made me feel like Batman, the hero that moves in the shadows and drops down from the roof and take out the enemies one by one. Now Batman sits in his Batmobile and is anything but discreet, you are often forced to drive around
    Batman Arkham knight does not live up to its predecessors City and asylum.

It got very fine aesthetic and soft gameplay, but....
    Now Batman sits in his Batmobile and is anything but discreet, you are often forced to drive around in tank mode and battle against other combat vehicles.
    They also removed the boss fights, now you throw your enemies in the trunk of the Batmobile and take them to the police station.
  37. Nov 12, 2017
    Batman: Arkham Knight is a passable finale in the best video game superhero franchise yet. In terms of story, while it does try to attain a darker tone than the rest of the Arkham series, in my opinion I don't think it went all out in doing so, so its story was never as engaging as the more insane but still more emotional and intriguing story from Arkham City. Similarly, despite the skillBatman: Arkham Knight is a passable finale in the best video game superhero franchise yet. In terms of story, while it does try to attain a darker tone than the rest of the Arkham series, in my opinion I don't think it went all out in doing so, so its story was never as engaging as the more insane but still more emotional and intriguing story from Arkham City. Similarly, despite the skill tree seemingly implying a more in-depth and complicated combat system, the combat is still extremely simplistic, but it's still flashy enough to be engaging for a few hours. However the end of the game is hindered by the amount of health the enemies have, or by the sheer numbers of enemies in an area, which results in certain fights lasting too long for this very simple and easy combat system. This is not to say that I hate when games are easy, but for me, issues surface when lack of difficulty is caused by or amplified by shallow mechanics. For example, Horizon: Zero Dawn's dinosaur combat is pretty easy, but keeps itself fresh through consistent changes to the enemies throughout the fight, where Batman's combat drones on and on without ever feeling the need to change anything based on environment, enemy health, or enemy numbers. The detective segments are hit-or-miss as well. These rarely work, so they often feel disjointed because they go on for longer than they should, and are very restrictive because there's no room for the player to come to conclusions on their own. In one segment, Batman has to determine where a car which holds his friend is going, so the process is to click on the square with the guy holding his friend, and then click on the car he went to. This is just way too simple to be entertaining. On the other hand, the stealth segments are very well crafted. In this aspect I think this game really benefits from having an open world. Due to the fact that every area is an actual place in the world it allows these segments to feel really interconnected with the rest of the game, instead of just separate challenges. Furthermore, due to the fact that there is more variation in terms of architectural structure than nearly every other open-world game with a city as its backdrop, there is real variation in the layout of most segments, which I thought was amazing considering how many games set in a city play the same no matter where mission takes place. Watch Dogs 2 is a great example of this. Also the side quests are all pretty great and entertaining even without extensive rewards. Despite its numerous improvements, however, there are still many areas in which this game fails as an open-world game. The Batmobile combat is as simplistic as the hand-to-hand combat, but lacks the aspects which made the hand-to-hand combat effective. It's repetitive and is used extremely often, which makes entire segments stale and boring. Besides that, multiple main story missions have these really annoying moments where all you do is follow these trails laid out by the game. These are never as satisfying as finding out which way to go on your own. Even in small amounts the Riddler Trophies don't offer the convenience that Breath of the Wild's Korok seeds do. No doubt, Breath of the Wild's Korok seeds are too abundant to actually be called anything but a nuisance if trying to collect all of them, but they're forgivable because in small doses these mini-challenges offer a short diversion from whatever it is the player is doing. They make the world constantly engaging, and reward exploration in all areas of the map because they're so abundant. What separates them from the trophies, however, is how they offer periodic rewards. There is no reason to collect all 900, because with 100, your inventory is large enough to make it through the game with minimal issues. The Riddler Trophies do not encourage exploration because they're all marked on the map, and do not function as short diversions because in order for them to be worth anything, all 400 need to be collected. This is so tedious that the reward, which is an underwhelming boss, is by no means worth the effort. Despite in my opinion having numerous flaws which considerably worsened my experience, there were enough moments which were entertaining or creative that the result is a game that gets a pass, but not much more. So Batman: Arkham City gets a 5 out of 10. I'm still looking forward to Insomniac's Spider-Man PS4, even if Rocksteady demonstrated here the shortcomings it may have. Expand
  38. Dec 15, 2017
    If you have played Arkham City, you can skip this. If not, go and play Arkham City instead. Arkham Knight's gameplay is monotonous. I repeat, MONOTONOUS. Driving around copied and pasted streets in the batmobile fighting endless hordes of mindless robots summarises at least 50-60% of the game. What should actually be a minor feature is instead a massive chunk of the gameplay. However,If you have played Arkham City, you can skip this. If not, go and play Arkham City instead. Arkham Knight's gameplay is monotonous. I repeat, MONOTONOUS. Driving around copied and pasted streets in the batmobile fighting endless hordes of mindless robots summarises at least 50-60% of the game. What should actually be a minor feature is instead a massive chunk of the gameplay. However, that's not the only thing Arkham Knight does wrong. The level design is AWFUL. It's very unclear, most of the time you have no idea where you're supposed to be going. The story is slightly contrived in parts, but otherwise, fine. And the PC version is just unfinished, unpolished, unplayable, and completely, utterly awful. Sorry, Rocksteady, but nothing excuses **** work done on a particular platform. Arkham Knight ticks most boxes, but is not a great game. Expand
  39. Jun 25, 2015
    I am extremely disappointed. They should have left the Bat Mobile out entirely instead of giving us incredibly frustrating controls and boring vehicle combat. The Bat Mobile is utilized way too much and I find myself crashing into a wall every 15 seconds due to the games narrow streets.
  40. Jun 27, 2015
    Loved arkam asylum and arkam city is amongst the best games i've ever played. This one cannot stand in thr shadow of these two batman games. Driving the slow batmobile isn't fun due to illogical button layout. Battlemode is boring as well. Puzzles are dumbed down versions of the previous games. For fighting more moves and options are available, but most of them i dont use cause they areLoved arkam asylum and arkam city is amongst the best games i've ever played. This one cannot stand in thr shadow of these two batman games. Driving the slow batmobile isn't fun due to illogical button layout. Battlemode is boring as well. Puzzles are dumbed down versions of the previous games. For fighting more moves and options are available, but most of them i dont use cause they are mostly hidden behind illogical buttoncombos. In this case less is more. Overall the controls dont feel intiutive. (Side)stories are mediocre...f.e. following firefly 3 times through the city isn't fun and shallow, where in previous games sidestories were deeper. City is rather small as well with little content. Then i've had already 5 crashes during missions on ps4. Overall, game feels shallow and rather boring. I was dissapointed to hear this was rocksteadys final batman game, but after arkham knight i am glad it is their last batman game Expand
  41. Jun 29, 2015
    There is not much to tell gameplaywise. Have you played arkham city? Then you know what to expect which is good if you want more of that. But if originality and new is what you seek, then arkham knight plays it safe. Its just is a bit bigger with better graphics. Also batmobile sections are too frequent to a point where it might actually take up a major portion of the game. Also its notThere is not much to tell gameplaywise. Have you played arkham city? Then you know what to expect which is good if you want more of that. But if originality and new is what you seek, then arkham knight plays it safe. Its just is a bit bigger with better graphics. Also batmobile sections are too frequent to a point where it might actually take up a major portion of the game. Also its not that long. Highly overrated and the PC version is botched. Expand
  42. Jun 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Batman Arkham games are, for the most part, beautifully designed and fun to play, and Arkham Knight is no exception (even though the developers went overboard with the Batmobile's presence). When Gotham gets covered by Scarecrow's gas was a standout moment due to its frightening vibe and imposing imagery (I get the impression the brown color palette was inspired by Batman Begins). The environments aren't as imaginative as in Asylum or City, but they still keep you engaged.

But truth be told, I found it quite underwhelming in the story department, especially considering it was supposed to be an "epic conclusion" for the saga. Just like the previous games, it ended up becoming a Joker porn experience. Watching him appear out of nowhere in virtually every scene to point out the obvious and that he and Batman are the same for the thousandth time was pretty grating and had the subtlety of a Times Square billboard. Batman and Gordon were written a bit out of character (they surrendered to Scarecrow way too easily), and even though John Noble was good as Scarecrow, I found the Arkham Asylum version to be more memorable.

The most disappointing part is the Arkham Knight himself. Rocksteady and DC promised a brand new character, and by implication, their chance to leave their mark in the Batman mythos outside of the comics, like Paul Dini did with Harley Quinn in the animated series. Instead, his story arc turns out to be a rehash of the Red Hood saga, and one that misses the point of the character. Jason Todd wasn't supposed to be a villain, but an antihero. DC's version of the Punisher if you will. A man that went through a traumatic experience and wants to do the right thing, but has such extreme methods that is seen as an enemy by other heroes. His characterization makes his hero-turn at the ending a gigantic Deus ex machina.

Just like Arkham City, Arkham Knight is a nice looking game ruined by an overblown and generic story. I'd say it's worth buying until there's a price drop or a "Game of the year" edition.
  43. Jun 25, 2015
    Overall this game is good and well made for PS4 (I've seen how bad it is on PC. good luck guys)
    Now this is not a leap from Arkham City except from Graphics point of view. Everything else is exactly the same. Except for batmobile and some combat skills like fear take down (which is pretty cool by the way).
    New set of challenges to include the new batmobile. The upgrade process also makes sense as you do have all your gadgets from Arkham City. You upgrade on your suit, combat, enhance your gadgets, batmobile etc..
    I read lots of reviews that batmobile doesn't fit. I totally disagree. It is fun to play with. And including it on missions does make sense when the game does. Saying the tank battles was forced is unfair. Because here is the catch. You have a new supervillain who assembled an army to kill batman and get rid of him for good. Now expecting batman to face those tanks with his gadgets is just not fair at all. Batmobile fits 100% in.
    Side missions aren't interesting from my point of view. Saving fire fighter team, investigating serial killer case. no not really interesting. Specially if that serial killer case isn't feeding into the main story. Then it is totally our of place here.
    Now back to WB and Rocksteady heap of DLC exclusive to different editions and consoles. This is totally bad thing. And having a season pass with a price almost to a full game price. This is none sense. No matter what this Season pass include. From what I'm seeing so far It's not worth even 30$. So don't but the season pass till you finish the game completely and then decide whether you want this or not.
    For me Arkham night is a game that I will play and try to platinum it and then trade it. I don't care about the season pass. I am 100% sure it won't add any new experience.
    For me this game is an 8. Not more but it could go less to 7
  44. Jun 28, 2015
    The positives:

A great narrative - Arkham Knight features perhaps the best story from the Arkham series and does a good job of both exploring Batman's Psyche and concluding the series. It's surprisingly funny - For a game that has a lot of depressing and sad moments, I have to admit some of the dialogue put a massive smile on my face, especially during the Johnny Charisma scene, I'd
    The positives:

It's surprisingly funny - For a game that has a lot of depressing and sad moments, I have to admit some of the dialogue put a massive smile on my face, especially during the Johnny Charisma scene, I'd even go as far to say I laughed more at this then I did at the Deadpool game, but then I'm a big fan of dark humour.

Great performances - As usual Kevin Conroy proves that he is the definitive version of Batman, and John Noble gives a chilling performance as the main villain of the game Scarecrow, the supporting cast do a great job as well especially Ashley Greene as Barbara Gordon/ Oracle who made me care about a character I've never been that bothered about. A few returning cast members completely steal the show but to talk about that would be spoiler territory.

It's undeniably beautiful - For what I believe is the first time in the Arkham series the player is finally allowed to explore the entirety of Gotham, and it's a pretty big map with plenty of attention to detail, character models are also well designed especially their facial animations, and while I'm talking about graphics I have to say I love how when rain hits Batman you can see it running down his cape and cowl.

Combat - I'd argue the combat system from previous Arkham games is one of the finest combat systems in gaming, and Arkham Knight has now perfected that system, combat feels brutal, looks stylish and is easy to master, the addition of the dual play mode where players can switch between control of Batman and other members of the Bat family during specific combat encounters is just the icing on the cake.

The Negatives

Too short - I started playing this game on Tuesday night and have only put around two to three hours per night into the game at most, yet I had the campaign finished by Thursday night (so around 6-8 hours for the campaign) and a further four for the majority of side missions, the only thing I have left to do in the game is find the Riddlers trophies and I've only played for around 12 hours, could have been a bit longer.

The Batmobile - For such a big part of the game, they really screwed the Batmobile up, the controls feel bad (although this can be fixed in the options of the game) and overall using it as a means as transport is kind of useless because you end up missing out on seeing the city itself, plus it's much quicker to simply have the Batmobile fire Batman into the air, and then glide across the city. The Batmobile works best as a Bat-Cannon
    Over reliance on the Batmobile - You can tell Rocksteady had a lot of faith in the Batmobile because they force you to use it during the majority of the story and side stuff, whether it's to solve a puzzle, destroy waves of tanks, car stealth, Riddler races, or even boss battles. After my first hour of the game I was already bored of using it.

Car combat - This is a weird one, I don't personally know how Rocksteady could have done vehicle combat any better than they did, but it's just so boring, you dodge little arrows telling you were enemies are about to shoot, and then you fire your Canon at the enemy vehicles to destroy them, it doesn't sound bad on paper but when you have to do it almost every mission, with some waves featuring around 60 enemies vehicles it gets stupidly boring stupidly quick.

Boss Battles - When I play an Batman game and I'm put up against villains such as Arkham Knight, and Deathstroke I expect to be able to fight them in hand to hand combat seeing as that is where they're expertise lies, however they are instead Tank Battles. Other villains are reduced to Invisible Predator missions where the big boss goes down as quick as an average goon, while other villains such as Penguin, Azrael, Hush, and Firefly are beaten in a button prompt. There's not even a Scarecrow fight in this game which is stupid when you consider how much praise those sections received in Arkham Asylum

Car stealth - Batman being a master of stealth is a big staple of the Batman lore, however never did I expect stealth sections that take place inside the Batmobile, and I'm not talking about tailing an enemy back to their hideout or something like that, I literally mean hiding behind buildings to avoid the sight of an armoured tank that can only be taken down through a special shot into the back. It's not fun in the slightest and is kind of unintentionally silly.

Side Quests - The side quests in Arkham City were perhaps one of the best sections of that game, but here most of them fall flat, with most of them lacking much in the way of story and only really being their to add fan service and a bit more length into the game. They're not overly fun either requiring you to complete the same objective over and over again until you catch the villain of the quest
  45. Jun 30, 2015
    The Story was so awesome but this game suffers from the overuse of the Batmobil. Where the previous games based on an epic mix of stealth and combat Arkham Knight is focused on destroying tanks in too many ways.
  46. Jun 30, 2015
    After seeing some of the reviews for this, I expected quite a masterpiece of a game. But I think this is a pretty mediocre release. Some graphical improvements, but mostly it's just more of the same, with fetch quests everywhere and controls that I think are inferior to the original game. Hardcore fans should enjoy it, but everyone else will see this as a lazy attempt to cash in on theAfter seeing some of the reviews for this, I expected quite a masterpiece of a game. But I think this is a pretty mediocre release. Some graphical improvements, but mostly it's just more of the same, with fetch quests everywhere and controls that I think are inferior to the original game. Hardcore fans should enjoy it, but everyone else will see this as a lazy attempt to cash in on the franchise success. Honestly, this is a truly disturbing trend, all these "legit" reviewers fawning over games that are very average. I get more info from reading user comments, as I just don't trust these corporate sites anymore. Expand
  47. Jun 24, 2015
    Firstly I love this game as I have the previous Arkham games (Origins perhaps being the exception…), the setting, characters and overall feel are unmatched by any other series and I have bene looking forward to playing it for a long time.

The graphics are sublime, the music and other sound works great and I really like how the game progresses meaning you never finding yourself repeating similar tasks, it always feels like you’re moving on to something new.

That said… There are problems…

Firstly the controls, which they’ve just tried cramming too into. I understand that every new title in a series requires more of everything to meet expectation but it hasn’t been done in the clever manner that we’ve come to expect from Rocksteady who single-handedly invented to the one button combat system. Buttons have moved since previous titles to confusing locations and despite being no newcomer to playing a wide range of games I genuinely have to pause before I do most tasks which breaks the flow of the game and leaves me feeling a little helpless.

Secondly the focus on how to complete certain elements is hugely flawed… The section at Ace Chemicals that requires you to put the car on the lift was fairly straightforward, a little later on you’re required to blow up a wall in the same area… I decided to swoop in from the sky only to realise there were tanks on the other side… So I thought I’d use the lift again, this initially the Batmobile floating completely unaided but after I’d jumped in it fell to the floor… What was required was to use the lift as a ramp to jump the car – now, why would I think that is what was required when I’d used it different only a few minutes previously?

Another area similar to above is where you find yourself in the clock tower which becomes the scene of a flashback, after watching the action unfold it is completely unclear that the player is required to do anything, so I walked around the room mashing the X button only to find that turning completely around changed the scene in front of me… Then I was required to walk to another area and do the same, again no mention of what I was supposed to do was given leading to me walking around the room aimlessly hitting buttons… This lack of guidance very quickly drags the player out of the moment and left me feeling cheated that another cool moment was spoiled by unwarranted frustration.

I admire the scope of the game but even early on it feels like a lot was sacrificed in order to achieve that, clunky game sections and many parts where there is simply no explanation of what is intended of you (I could talk about how the Batmobile needs to be revved *slowly* to power up towers or how it is never explained how to counter the charging enemies with the red flash above them etc…) and it’s for that reason that I find myself at least a little disappointed that after so many delays that Rocksteady have failed to fully capture what made the previous games special…
  48. Jun 25, 2015
    Everyone who are giving this game 0 because of single thing they don't like are just plain trolls. And should not be allowed to speak in public. But we live in society where 2 idiots have more votes than single smart person so it is what it is. Idiocracy.

1. GRAPHIC People complain about Unreal Engine 3 used. They have no idea what they are talking about. Game look amazing. City is

1. GRAPHIC
    People complain about Unreal Engine 3 used. They have no idea what they are talking about. Game look amazing. City is great. Lights, flares etc everywhere. Smoke, garbage etc. Environment can be destroyed on level never shown on any Batman Games. When you roam around Gotham in Your Batmobil, nothing stops you. Even concrete walls. Things fly everywhere.

2. Batmobil. Batmobil is like Siren. You can't f**k it and you can't eat it. This is how I feel about this game. Rocksteady introduced Batmobil in this game. And it's amazing. During first hour or two. After that you upgrade Batman so he can glide better and faster and then Batmobil is just slower way to move around city. So you do some racing, tank battles (you destroy like 50-100 enemy tanks in one battle). It's like they got hammer and see nails everywhere. Batmobil is overused, repetitive and even annoying after a while (like 3 repeated activities with more and more enemies to destroy - plain and stupid).

3. Combat. To be honest, it's just like before. They got hammer so they see nails everywhere. Batman ALWAYS was all about stealth. Arkham Asylum was perfect in this. Arkham City was OK. Arkham Knight is just plain TERRIBLE. They introduced few more ways to dispatch your enemies. Environment "stuns", chain attacks (where you can put down 3-5 enemies without chance for them to fight back), tag team etc. And you end up fighting tons of enemies over and over again. Only few sections allow you to play stealth. BUT combat is fun.

4. Story. Story is OK. It's not great but have it's moment. Too bad is too obvious. And whole idea about Arkham Knight... well I won't give you spoilers but it's NOT new character. Rocksteady played it safe :-/. I like idea with second ending after you reach 100% completion. On the other hand - 240 Riddlers trophies? REALLY? I understand 50-100 but 240? Just finish side missions that have sense and then watch second ending on Youtube.

5. Bugs. Game is very polished (I'm talking about PS4, they say PC is unplayable so much they halted sales on Steam). No frame drops (even during car changes where you destroy everything, move very fast etc. No crashes (and I finished the game). I'm amazed how good this game works.

OVERALL:
    There is less batman in batman but more combat, destruction and action. For me that's not a good thing. But still I managed to finish the game and I was very pleased with it. Worth every peny. Just go and buy it!.
  49. Jun 28, 2015
    Complicated review, even completely discounting the DLC rip-off and the PC fiasco, because I hated the Batmobile so much.

Only considering the PS4 game, it was a good but frustrating game. The graphics, voice acting, Batman combat, variety of things to do and open world were all great! BUT THE BATMOBILE WAS HORRIBLE. I REALLY WISH IT WAS IN THE GAME AND *REALLY* WISH IT WASN'T FORCED IN BOTH THE RIDDLER AND MAIN QUESTS. It was needed in like 30-40% of the game, which sucked. I really hated nearly everything about it and the it took a 9.5 to a 6, sadly.
  50. Jun 27, 2015
    A sad, disappointing end to what could have been a great series.

I can't believe how Rocksteady could have gone so wrong with such a great formula, this game should be held as an example to developers world-wide of what can go wrong when you try to do too much within your game. The result here is that while it gets some things it tries right, it gets more wrong. The batmobile is just
    A sad, disappointing end to what could have been a great series.

The batmobile is just awful, what could of been a fantastic addition to the series if used sparingly is instead forced on the player so much that it feels like a chore every time you're forced to jump inside the heavily controlled vehicle.

The story itself is decent enough, nothing special, but it serves its purpose. I think where this game shines is within the side activities, they're this games saving grace.

Overall it's a very bleak game, for every moment I felt the game was excelling there were five moments where I just didn't wish to continue playing any further. Such a disappointing end to what was once one of my favourite series in gaming.
  51. Jun 24, 2015
    The look and feel of the world is pretty great. But the core movement mechanic (grapple hook + floating down) isn't particularly fun. Here I'm comparing that mechanic to Just Cause, which seemed to really nail it.

Also, the world is pretty empty. Unlke most games where you have a main character running around a city: I expected to see people, well, moving around and doing stuff. Here I'm thinking of Assassin's Creed, which really nailed that. Also, I thought it would be fun to able to stop crimes just by running around the city. But you would need people in the city in order to have that.

Also, there are too many puzzles. Some of the puzzles require you being in your car and moving it around to just the right place, then using your car's grappling hook on just the right object. It seemed like a very trite mechanic, and I was disappointed to see it in such a modern, blockbuster game.
  52. Jun 26, 2015
    the game is great. really great. great combat very interesting story good characters and amazing graphics. the only problem I see is that the bat mobile is being used to much but other then this its a must buy!
  53. Jul 22, 2015
    This game is ok.. Not for everyone.. No need for barley any combat upgrades you can pretty much get through half the game by only mashing 1 button... Some of the game is a drag because of the detective part,, there barley any boss battles.. Kinda repetive and boring.. The funnest part of the game is gliding through the city.. Graphics are great.. Alot of people wont get into this... IdkThis game is ok.. Not for everyone.. No need for barley any combat upgrades you can pretty much get through half the game by only mashing 1 button... Some of the game is a drag because of the detective part,, there barley any boss battles.. Kinda repetive and boring.. The funnest part of the game is gliding through the city.. Graphics are great.. Alot of people wont get into this... Idk why everyone is going crazy over this.. It must be very hard to make a batman game.. Because spiderman games have didnt everything this game did.. But 20 times better.. Half of the upgrades and gadgets are completly usless.. I find my self doing the same moves over and over and defeating most enemies easy
    .. Barley any boss battle unlike the other batman... The story is good.. But. Yea this is really should only cost 40 bucks...
  54. Jul 14, 2015
    It's the first time I play a BATMAN game, i would say that i liked it, but it isn't perfect neither. Let's see this with some goods and bads.

+ : • graphics are beautiful, especially when you're inside a building • fighting system is perfect, the animations are so good, TW3's sword fights are miles away from Batman gameplay, but i cannot compare those games, right? • i played it in

+ :
    • graphics are beautiful, especially when you're inside a building
    • i played it in french, and dialogues were PERFECT, i guess it's even better in english
    • the way you choose which mission to do is great
    • there are funny moments, those are my fav parts of the game !
    - :
    • too much batmobile?
    • because of it and maybe for some other reasons, the game can be repetitive sometimes, not always fortunately
    • the main story is not bad, but not great. I would say that it could be a way better, but it's acceptable

As a final word, i can say i enjoyed this game pretty well. Not a must-have, but if you have any hesitation, buy it, if you like batman's universe, buy it immediately, and if you don't know it, try out with checking some vids before, without being spoiled lol.

PS: it's a solid 15/20 for me, 7/10 sounds wrong, but 8 too
  55. Jul 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is cool, better than Arkham Asylum, but even Arkham Origins was better (in my opinion). For me the best in the franchise was Arkham City, because it had an interesting story and the twist in the end (Joker turning out to be Clayface) was unpredictable. This game had also a twist (the Arkham Knight turning out to be Red Hood, a.k.a. Jason Todd), but we saw it coming (or at least I did). I rated this game 7 out of 10 (I would rate 7.5 but I can't) because it did had fun moments like the first battle with Batmobile, the return of Azrael and Hush, playing as Robin, Catwoman and Nightwing... But there were somethings that ruined the game for me. The following things I'm going to say were things that would have made the game perfect for me:

1- A DIFFERENT TITLE: I did not give 7 out of 10 because of the title I just think that Batman: Arkham Knight should be Batman: Arkham World, because the game is not only about the Arkham Knight, but there's also a lot of other villains involved in the main story such as Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Harley...

2- LESS BATMOBILE ACTION: Come on Rocksteady... Is it called, as the guy from Honest Trailers say: Arkham World of Tanks? No, it's called Batman: Arkham Knight. The batmobile was cool for fast travel, some riddler challenges and boss fights, but don't make us play the Batmobile more time than we play as Batman...

3- NO JOKER HALLUCINATIONS, BUT A JOKER TWIST INSTEAD: Would you rather have Batman have hallucinations about the Joker or would you rather have a twist where Joker is actually alive and Clayface was the Joker that was burnt in the beginning of the game? It would even even make the alternate intro make sense.

4- MORE VILLAINS: Where's Mr. Freeze, Victor Zsazz, Ra's Al Ghul (who survived Arkham City) and Bane? I could put more names on the list, but I would run out of characters... This game introduce Pyg and Man-Bat. but where are the others? Did Scarecrow not hired a big muscle like Bane to brake Batman... Just saying.

5- ROBIN, NIGHTWING AND CATWOMAN HAVE THEIR OWN PRIVATE AND SEPARATE MISSIONS: Wouldn't it be cool to fly the skies as Robin and go after thugs. I'm taking this idea from Arkham City where you could swap between Batman and Catwoman.
  56. Jun 24, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Firstly, my review does contain spoilers though it is debatable whether I am spoiling anything at all.

Arkham Knight was intended to be the epic (EPIC!) conclusion to one of the most successful gaming series of all time, with 2 GOTY's and after having Arkham City recognised as the best superhero game ever. It is fair to say that expectation were high but what was delivered was simply well below anything I could have expected.

The final entry to the Arkham Series displays none of the excitement, tension, enjoyment or emotion of any of its predecessors, from beginning to end the tension remains the same, with virtually no plot twists or worthy challenges along the way.

I'll start off by mentioning the good parts, the graphics were very good...now to move on.

What bothers me most about this game is that it does not even attempt to acknowledge the events or impact of the events which took place in Arkham City or Arkham Asylum. The game simply sets off on its own course with very little build up or explanation as to why things were happening. This issue gets worse as the game goes on and you realise that all of the cliffhangers and loose ends that were left at the end of Arkham City (or even a few from Asylum) were not going to feature in any meaningful way. Azrael, Hush, Ra's al Ghul, Calendar Man among others were in no way featured in the main storyline, instead they were relegated to small, tepid side quests, or simply not featured at all. Again continuity was not preserved as Hush is shown to be unaware of Batman's secret identity.

Another area of huge frustration was the absence of the Joker. The frustration with that was he wasn't absent for 75% of the game. He is literally in every room for 75% because batman has supposedly not gotten over his blood condition. He is actually more present than in the previous two games combined and as a result he loses his charm very quickly.

The Arkham Knight was not only a disappointment because of his identity, which is still puzzling, but be has he serves very little purpose and is shown to be an inferior enemy to the batman with very little conviction behind his actions. I simply found him far too shallow and it showed in the way he was deposed.

The conclusion of the game, bringing down scarecrow brought about no sense of emotion or achievement, I suppose you could say that scarecrow played his part in this game though, since I felt like I was in a nightmare while I was experiencing this most underwhelming of conclusions to one of the best video game series ever. Alas, it was true, one of the most hyped games was a complete disappointment.

One final thing I will say is that the two games which Paul Dini wrote were master passes in story and development, I can't understand why he was not able to conclude it. These games made me aware of so many aspects of the Batman mythos which showed that he was much more than a man in a leather costume, dressed as a bat, gliding from roofs and fighting psychotic criminals. He was a protector, a saviour and a legend but also a man with very human emotions and weaknesses, which allowed so many people to connect with this character. I felt like this game did a great disservice to the character and all his fans.
  57. Jun 24, 2015
    Batman: Arkham Knight follows the adventures of Batman in this latest installment of Batman games. I will try to keep spoilers to a minimum in this short review. Please keep in mind that this review is subjective, as well as my opinions do not necessarily reflect a gaming experience on other platforms.

In my opinion, the presentation of the game is very good. The game has a very high level of detail and graphical fidelity. At the same time, the framerate is generally smooth and consistent. As graphical glitches are rare and far between, the game looks great and provide the player with great visuals. The audio is very good as well with nice environmental effects, good voice acting and a very good soundtrack. While some minor audio problems may occur once in awhile, it does not detract from the general impression. Overall, both the visuals and the audio help the player to have an immersive experience.

As for the story, Scarecrow is back and it is up to Batman to stop him and his band of other villains. The game structure is divided into a main storyline and side missions. As such, the player have some influence over the pace of which to complete the game. It is worth mentioning that the storyline is rather linear and predictable, and some people may find the plot to be weak and a bit dull overall. However, it is possible to do various side activities and missions which add a little bit of variety to the game.

Many of the game mechanics are very similar to previous installments. Batman has the ability to move around on the ground or in the air, and much of the fighting consists of hand-to-hand combat. The combat segments feel fluid and smooth, with a blend of fast-paced moves and slow motion knockdowns. Fighting styles and moves can being upgraded as one earn skill points and XP. Further, it is possible to acquire various gadgets which can be purchased with skill points among others. A new addition to the series is the ability to use the Batmobile. By using the Batmobile, the player participate in car chases and races, as well as fight enemies, for instance vehicles and tanks.

In terms of gameplay however, the enemy variety is rather limited which may be off-putting to some people. At the same time, the boss battles are somewhat mediocre, and the game may seem a bit easy for a player who is familiar with these kind of games. While the introduction of Batmobile adds more gameplay, some people may find it to be overused at times. The racing sections may feel out of place once in awhile and the combat sections involving the Batmobile lack a bit of variety.

In summary, Batman: Arkham Knight is a mixed bag of positives and negatives. In my opinion, it is a good game and I would definitely recommend it for the fans of the series. For other gamers who are not very familiar with the Batman games, Batman: Arkham Knight may be a bit generic and uneventful at times. However, I would still recommend the game for fans of action/racing games when the price drops.
  58. Jul 23, 2015
    Graphics Upgrade - Similar Game-play as other games

+ Great Graphics + Interesting City to jump around in +/- Gamplay is about the same as other games before it, just bigger set ups - Once the story is done, you have side quest to do, then it's over, no multi player, DLC is coming though Overall - If you like the other batman games it's more of what you like, but bigger and
    Graphics Upgrade - Similar Game-play as other games

+ Great Graphics
    + Interesting City to jump around in

+/- Gamplay is about the same as other games before it, just bigger set ups

Overall - If you like the other batman games it's more of what you like, but bigger and more to do. But that's also why it's not lasting longer for players who have played the similar set ups as the same games that have come before.
  59. Jul 16, 2015
    This game was disappointing to me. I hate to say it, but it's true. It's not bad. It's fun, it just doesn't match up to the other Arkham games. This is the game that people have been waiting for since the PS4 released. This game is a good mix of action, driving, puzzle solving and stealth. Now if you haven't played the last three Arkham games, you might want to pick it up. They have aThis game was disappointing to me. I hate to say it, but it's true. It's not bad. It's fun, it just doesn't match up to the other Arkham games. This is the game that people have been waiting for since the PS4 released. This game is a good mix of action, driving, puzzle solving and stealth. Now if you haven't played the last three Arkham games, you might want to pick it up. They have a great mix of difficulty, however, Arkham knight was very difficult. Mostly the driving. I love that in the Arkham series that each game is an improvement from the previous game. Most games diminish in quality as the series continues. Also I love that they improve the game without taking away what makes the series great. A great variety of characters that you normally don't get to see are seen, but I felt that the villains were scarcily seen. I love that this game makes you feel more like a detective with more uses of gadgets and investigations. The graphics are beautiful and gameplay is smooth but very hard at times. The batmobile mechanics are cool. I won't reveal much but you'll be surprised what it is capable of. On to the cons. There are hardly any boss fights and the ones that are in it are ridiculously easy. Nothing like the great boss fights of Arkham Origins. There are several villains in this game, I would have love to actually fought them. The game set an entirely different mood than the previous games since the city is empty throughout 99.9% of the game. The setting was in my opinion depression. Still this game is worth trying. It's still fun. Just not as fun as the other Arkham games. You should really try the other Arkham games too. Expand
  60. Aug 15, 2015
    The great with this game is the polished combat, gorgeous graphics and animation, strong story telling and voice acting. I found the overall story quite satisfying, game play very fun, and highly recommend this game to everyone. They added enough new entries into this third (don't count Batman Origins) game, that it doesn't feel like it's "just the same game" we've been playing for theThe great with this game is the polished combat, gorgeous graphics and animation, strong story telling and voice acting. I found the overall story quite satisfying, game play very fun, and highly recommend this game to everyone. They added enough new entries into this third (don't count Batman Origins) game, that it doesn't feel like it's "just the same game" we've been playing for the last six years. I was very happy that the story wasn't the usual six hour long experience as was one of my biggest gripes about this series. Instead, the storyline lasted at least 15 hours for me.

But, if I have to sum up this game in a few simple words it would have to be "a bit too much". It has a great story and adds to the cast of villains you'll encounter. It's great that instead of just mini-games you'll get mini-stories. But in the context of trying to get everything done in one night, it seems out of place having that many side stories where you ask yourself, "Shouldn't the sun be coming up now?". The addition of the Batmobile is great as they knew how to utilize the vehicle, but it's size is a bit too big so when you traverse the streets you are running objects and people over constantly. It literally is "The Bat Tank". In one particular race you have to finish, the size of the track is so small and intricate with objects in the way, and the big mobile so unwieldy that it was more frustrating than fun. Not since the Mako has a vehicle been so groaned over by me. And the use of the vehicle, although used smartly a few times, was mostly overused as a good 40% of the game is repetitive missions of chasing cars down or fighting of drone tanks of the Arkham Knight.

The city of Gotham itself is great and it's huge to explore being divided up into three islands. Gotham archipelago? Yet, being completely devoid of people except for thugs and drone tanks, and nothing to do but chase criminals down and fight off numerous checkpoints, it's too big. There was just no reason, as I was gliding around town, for me to want to swoop down and take out these areas of criminals because there was no one to save; the city was evacuated within the first few minutes of the game. What a bummer. It's not really an open world without people to interact with.

What kills the game at the end is trying to finish the final piece of the story, "Kinghtfall Protocal", by getting 100% of the game. It'll take you hours and hours of mindless minigames of collecting riddler's trophies (247) and fighting off the Arkham Knights drone tanks (1,434) to reach it. I gave up after about finding 40 some trophies and 600 some tanks. Enough is enough! Just watch the two minute sequence on Youtube. It should have never have that much effort to watch the very end of the story and that's why I dropped my score down and extra point to a seven when it should have been an eight.
  61. Jul 21, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Arkham Knight has as many triumphs as it has flaws. Start with the premise: Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight join forces to destroy Batman in front of a watching world using a weapon of mass destruction as a metaphorical whip. It's the plot of Dark Knight Rises only the emotion toll on Batman isn't profoundly demonstrated. At the same time, that giant gas bomb gives a good reason for the city to be entirely empty except for thousands of henchmen and rioters and a few policemen and firefighters. Right there is a missed opportunity to rescue a few stragglers who refused to get on the buses. Rescuing the firefighters was actually quite enjoyable and made me feel like Batman. At the same time, some of the other missions felt tacked on. Chasing Firefly was a lazy excuse to further justify the existence of the Batmobile. Testing Azrael was little more than a combat challenge and busting two face was just a run of the mill stealth challenge. It was still enjoyable, but wasn't as special as it could've been considering this was the last installment. Chasing man-bat was different and tracking the pig-man was excellent but way too easy. I feel there was an opportunity for greater involvement with allies and the rogue's gallery. I'm sure more will be added by dlc. Probably not enough to make me return to the game. A major critique is the Bat-weapon-of-mass-pacification. Having the Batmobile as it was is completely against character. It was a tank with guns. Further, to justify its presence there are unmanned tanks. This in itself is a logic gap. The Arkham Knight, knowing Batman would never intentionally kill but wanting to destroy Batman wouldn't just put guys in the tanks, he'd strap innocent people to the armor. Further, the Riddler "trials" were not just tedious but infuriating. Having to collect all the trophies (and yes I eventually did because I'm a masochist) to get the actual ending is just mean. Didn't we complain about the copious Riddler trophies in the last installment? There were shining moments in the plot, in layout of the missions, and the pure breath of this installment. But large parts were additions that weren't needed and ripoffs that were done right the first time. The Arkham Knight / Red Hood plot point was very heavy handed and way too obvious even after we were told the Knight would be a "new" character. It was fun being Batman once more, but it was better the first time... And the second time. Expand
  62. Aug 20, 2015
    Overall the game is very good and a joy to play. If you're reading this you likely already know about the port issues so I'll leave those and address only things that are not platform specific. There are a few glaring bugs still present in the game which is why I scored it as a 7 where it could have been higher. One of my personal pet peeves is when my control over my character is takenOverall the game is very good and a joy to play. If you're reading this you likely already know about the port issues so I'll leave those and address only things that are not platform specific. There are a few glaring bugs still present in the game which is why I scored it as a 7 where it could have been higher. One of my personal pet peeves is when my control over my character is taken away or diminished, something this game does often. I could overlook it if not for the many unskippable cut-scenes and activities where I'm stripped of all my control and gadgets save one for some specific action that must be taken. It's this mechanic that has caused one of the more troublesome glitches where you become stuck because the game has again limited your ability to control Batman but hasn't provided the object you are supposed to interact with, thus leaving you stuck forever with no choice but to start over or quit. Despite these flaws the game is still enjoyable and I'd say if you're a fan of the series the game is very much worth picking up, though I'd look for it on sale as it's not worth full price in it's current somewhat buggy state. If not for the bugs I'd give it an 8 or 9. If not for all the times in game where I lose control of my avatar for nothing more than a cut-scene or one of the several times I'm forced to stand around and watch scenes play out while I'm restricted to doing nothing but watching (with no way to skip ahead) I would score it higher still. Expand
  63. Aug 20, 2015
    Finally finished this yesterday.
    Finally finished this yesterday.
    So glad to see that developers taking risk to throw out of the window everything good about franchise to shoehorn half-working idea. Also glad to see, that filthy creativity finally killed by endless checkbox lists. And of course I have to gratulate Rocksteady on their superior premonition abilities, since they knew people will be pissed about lack of bosses and they prepared overpriced DLC with bosses you can beat and feel relieved about it.
    Graphics 9/10 Looks great. Really detailed city and despite not entirely dig redesign of of characters, many of them looking terrific
    Story 3/10 So THIS is supposed to be "big end" of Arkham Franchise? Barely relevant storyline with uninspired plot (if THIS can be called plot since we mostly spent time driving around and shooting enemies). You have to be really talented to take cool enemy as Scarecrow and turn him into dull voice and pointless blabbering. And don't let me start on Arkham Knight. This character sucks as hell.
    Gameplay: 6/10 Considering 3/5 of game is repetitive driving around. Freeflow largely unchanged. Predator missions is dumbed down by "FEAR" takedowns, aka taking enemies with no efforts or skill up to 3 in time.
    Final Score: Twisted metal out of 10. THIS is not batman, its Twisted Metal painted with Batman skin.
  64. Sep 2, 2015
    Visually, Batman Arkham Knight has fantastic graphics, and surprisingly well fleshed out cinematic. The voice acting is excellent and the game gives you plenty to do. The issue with Batman Arkham Knight is the batmobile; the creators at Rocksteady clearly went overboard and didn't think this through, overstuffing the game with as many "cool" things they could. Some of the milita missionsVisually, Batman Arkham Knight has fantastic graphics, and surprisingly well fleshed out cinematic. The voice acting is excellent and the game gives you plenty to do. The issue with Batman Arkham Knight is the batmobile; the creators at Rocksteady clearly went overboard and didn't think this through, overstuffing the game with as many "cool" things they could. Some of the milita missions are very repetitive and the Arkham Knight turns out to be a very weak, poorly realised villain. Arkham City remains the best game in th series. Expand
  65. Jul 13, 2015
    This game is fun. Incredibly fun. The difficulty curve at the end is a little too hard, but can be solved by dialing the difficulty down a little bit. I would love to give this game a 9.5 or even a 10, but there are some game-freezing glitches. The game could have been so much better if it was just delayed one month.
  66. Aug 21, 2015
    Arkham Knight is a good game that could've been great!

The game is let down by some dissapointing design choices, the now infamous 'tank battles' really are a chore and feel forced everytime. The combat is good but the introduction of different enemy types introduced later in the game to 'test' you, just end up being frustrating. Graphically its impressive with very few glitches/bugs
    Arkham Knight is a good game that could've been great!

Graphically its impressive with very few glitches/bugs and a steady frame rate throughout, however the Batmobile races/riddles and battles let this game down everytime you're forced to do them.

I like to play video games to have fun primarily and while Batman Arkham Knight is fun in parts, it lacks any real replay value and just feels like a missed oppurtunity.
  67. Jul 30, 2015
    BMAK veirs from Great to tedious too many times to be ranked along side Asylum & City. It is infested with the WBros greed in the same way Origins was. Rocksteady's name may be on the game but I think WBros have far too much input and as such the game is reduced to a dlc hub.
    Technically the game is very good on PS4, cut scenes seamlessly intergrated into gameplay and the design is rich and textured. Gameplay is what you expect from the Batman games, not much has changed but if it ain't broke..
    The story.....the poorest yet in a Batman game, a woeful imbalance between the main story and the endless and repetitive side quests, Scarecrow is heard but seldom seen, Arkham Knight - so well shown in the trailers - turns out to be a bit of a bore. A clever return of Joker being the only highlight for me.
    The Batmobile.......Probably the biggest mistake by the makers was forcing the car down gamers throats instead of leaving it as an optional choice of game play, yes you do end up hating the bloody thing as it seems batman can't fart without help from the batmobile.
    Glaring character omissions and under use seem deliberate for the obvious rip off future dlc.
    Catwoman was such a hit as a playable character in City but woefully sidelined here, I suspect gamers will have to pay to play as her in a future dlc.

I played it thru once and found about 80% of riddlers stuff, but I really feel no desire to play the game again.

A poor end to the franchise for me.
  68. Aug 5, 2015
    After the great titles Asylum and City, I thought it would be a no brainer how good Arkham Knight would be.

While the game may be graphically better than its predecessors, it is lacking 3D support. The improvements in graphics are not enough to sell this game. There needs to be a story. Also, the story timeline of everything happening in a night just does not seem to make sense. The storyline feels more like a two hour movie. It would have been nice to see some innovation like spreading the game out over day and night. The story did not allow for this, but in the long run it probably would have been a more engaging story. Bat by night. Billionaire by day.

The DLC thus far has been lackluster and more of a time sink than an enjoyable experience. The Riddler trophy grind (yes I did it) was a sorry excuse for extending the life of the game. This is a game that takes less than 10 hours even on hard mode to beat. The ending (even the secret one) is pretty lame and leaves a lot open to interpretation.

For some reason the game felt smaller than Arkham City as well. I know that is not the case, but given the presentation it just felt smaller.
  69. Aug 20, 2015
    I found the game to be ok, but not great. Its also not terrible either. The combat challenges and predator missions were as fun and challenging as always. Batman did seen to be stiffer and not as elusive as he was in other games. The car chases seem so contrived. The Batmobile/ tank is slow and not agile at all. I t goes from being super powerful to be a toy from scene to scene. ItsI found the game to be ok, but not great. Its also not terrible either. The combat challenges and predator missions were as fun and challenging as always. Batman did seen to be stiffer and not as elusive as he was in other games. The car chases seem so contrived. The Batmobile/ tank is slow and not agile at all. I t goes from being super powerful to be a toy from scene to scene. Its funny how it can't catch a APC after chasing it for 3 or 4 minutes. Batman also is goes from being Superman to super chump in the same way. Many of the missions to fight tanks or chase a villain in the Batmobile were boring or not fun at all. I never found the Riddler missions entertaining either. After completing the main mission and getting a 84% complete, I was not longer interested in playing it anymore. The story went from good to cheesy and far fetched. These inconsistencies are why the game doesn't win. It was a disappointment because it fell far below expectations. Expand
  70. Aug 21, 2015
    Batman confronts the ultimate threat against the city he has been sworn to protect. The Scarecrow returns to congeal an imposing array of super villains, including The Penguin, Two-Face and Harley Quinn, to summarily destroy The Dark Knight. The game introduces Rocksteady's uniquely-designed imagining of the Batmobile drivable for the first time in the franchise. Batman: Arkham KnightBatman confronts the ultimate threat against the city he has been sworn to protect. The Scarecrow returns to congeal an imposing array of super villains, including The Penguin, Two-Face and Harley Quinn, to summarily destroy The Dark Knight. The game introduces Rocksteady's uniquely-designed imagining of the Batmobile drivable for the first time in the franchise. Batman: Arkham Knight offers gamers a complete Batman experience as they rip through the streets and soar across the skyline of the iconic Gotham City. Expand
  71. Aug 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review contains very minor spoilers.

I'm going to start off by saying that this game isn't bad and sure as hell isn't terrible like people have been saying. That being said, I have a few things to say about this game and not all of them are good. Let's start with the good things. The gameplay is spectacular and hands down the best in the series. They did enough with it to make it a little challenging for gamers coming from the previous Arkham games while also not over complicating it. They made some improvements to the gadgets that Batman has in his arsenal. For example, the cryptographic sequencer has multiple uses such as using the voice of The Arkham Knight or Harley Quinn to fool henchmen and tell them where to search for Batman. These changes are simple, but effective as they allow for more options in stealth encounters. The voice acting in this game is still very well acted with Kevin Conroy returning as Batman, John Noble as the Scarecrow, Johnathon Banks as Commissioner Gordon and the return of Mark Hamill as The Joker.

Now that I've talked about what I like about the game, these are the things that, in my opinion, brought the game experience down a bit. First of all is the story. The premise is pretty good, Scarecrow brings all of Gothams super criminals together to defeat Batman once and for all, but it's just executed poorly. Villains such as Two-Face and Penguin are left to the side with very short side missions acting as their "contribution" to taking down Batman. And I say "contribution" because all they're doing is making money for themselves. That's it. Also, at one point Poison Ivy says to Batman " It started with a meeting. Everyone was there" when in actuality they were missing villains such as Killer Croc and Bane. It just seems like the trailers and marketing about getting all the villains to work together to take out Batman was a lie because for the most part they all have their own agendas. The second thing I didn't particularly like was the fact that the supposed main villains of the game, Scarecrow and The Arkham Knight, were barely featured or explored as part of the story. They just occasionally talked to Batman through billboard announcements or Batman's radio. Talk about a let down. Scarecrow was hyped up big time in Arkham City and his appearance in Arkham Asylum was the most memorable of the entire Arkham series and in the end he barely gets any screen time. Also, The Arkham Knight's identity was built up to be this big mystery but anyone who knows about the Batman mythos at all knew his identity from the start. That wouldn't be so bad if they introduced him in the previous Arkham games but because they didn't, it just seems rushed and put in without thought. And another thing, The Arkham Knight's personality is so bland and cliché that I can't help but cringe a bit. The only thing he talks about is killing Batman and how much better he is than Batman and I can't help but wish that he would just die like he should have. Another one of my complaints is about the clown prince of crime himself, The Joker. Now don't get me wrong, Mark Hamill still does an amazing job at playing The Joker, but he just shouldn't have had a main roll in this game as he takes all the focus away from Scarecrow and The Arkham Knight. I think he should have been secluded to nightmare sections where Batman is tormented about how he feels responsible for The Jokers death and maybe they could have brought in Talia Al Ghul to further torment Batman. Which is another thing, there were no actual nightmare sections in the game like the ones in Arkham Asylum which were fantastic. The only nightmare sections in this game are the dlc ones and guess what, they're nothing like the ones in Arkham Asylum. They're just simple race tracks for the Batmobile, or newly dubbed Bat-Tank. Which leads me onto my next point which should come as no surprise. The Batmobile is used way to much in this game, which is ironic since the fans asked for it. Me personally, I wouldn't have minded if they didn't include the Batmobile and just stuck to gliding around the city. It's just constantly forced upon you for battling The Arkham Knights forces, disarming bombs around the city, using it to follow tire tracks and hell even The Riddler has made race tracks for Batman to play with. The Riddler challenges that needed the Bat-Tank should have stuck to figuring out puzzles with it, which they did a few times but it was trumped by all the race tracks. Also, there were barely any stealth encounters in the game, which were a big part of previous games.

I could go on about what this game did to lessen my experience but I don't necessarily think this is a bad game. It is still a fun game but I have to take into account what the game did to mess up my experience, which is a shame because I'm a big fan of the other Arkham games. In my opinion it's the best in the series for the gameplay, but the lesser in the series for everything else,
  72. Aug 23, 2015
    Ok so the combat is better... story is meh.... batmobile plays way too heavy a role, much preferred getting around by gliding in Arkham City.... all in alll they pretty much made the same game as Arkham city, with a batmobile
  73. Sep 4, 2015
    An incredibly mediocre game. There are far too few 'kick-arse' moments throughout the game and the idea that the Batman can't kill anyone is now absurd. You literally run over people in your Batmobile at top speed and blow them away with your 20mm cannon but they are all magically survive and are labelled "unconscious". That is just one example of how lame and uninspiring this game can get.
  74. Sep 8, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Looking back at it, the only good thing was the joker plot twist.
    Everything else was very disappointing especially the plot
    Batmobile sucked major ass too
  75. Sep 15, 2015
    This game is not as great as you might think. The last few games of the Arkham series built upon what their predecessors had in order to make themselves better. This game failed to do that. Instead it propped itself up using the mechanics of previous games then failed in all of its new additions. These new additions are dull at best and actually take away from the gameplay that made itsThis game is not as great as you might think. The last few games of the Arkham series built upon what their predecessors had in order to make themselves better. This game failed to do that. Instead it propped itself up using the mechanics of previous games then failed in all of its new additions. These new additions are dull at best and actually take away from the gameplay that made its predecessors so good. I am of course specifically speaking of the addition of the vehicle which detracts from the game in almost every way. The world seems much smaller and less engaging because you spend most of the time looking at it from a speeding car. They shoehorn the vehicle into almost every level even in places where it doesn't really make sense.

The game is good but it isn't innovative. Its the same as Arkham City with a whole lot of pointless driving. Does that make it bad? No, but I had enough of Arkham City when it ended and I didn't really need the same game with a car added. Due to the success of the games predecessors I was left disappointed.
  76. Aug 12, 2016
    At it's best a beautiful action game right up there with the highs of Arkham City. At it's worst an incredibly bad driving game trying to justify its existence, the story is also laughably predictable. By no means a bad game but nowhere consistent enough to match the previous three Arkham games.
  77. Sep 8, 2018
    The third and final installment of Rocksteady’s Batman has its ups and downs but is ultimately a solid game. I’m not counting Origins in this because its kind of part of the series, it was developed by a different studio. So Rocksteady made 3 of them and therefore its the Rocksteady trilogy.

I can’t say that I was a huge fan of the series going into this game because I played Arkham Asylum and City for the first time last year and I thought they were pretty average games. At the time, they probably were mind-blowing games but in the year 2016, there really isn’t anything special about those games. The games are just a little outdated.

Anyways, regarding this particular game. My expectations were mixed going into this game. I hoped it would be a good game but I certainly didn’t expect it to be anything great. There are moments and things about this game that I really liked but then there are things about this game that I just can’t get behind.

The game starts out with Scarecrow warning Gotham by making an announcement that he’s going to bomb the city with his toxin. This allowed a vast majority of the Gotham citizens to leave and that was left were the Police, the Criminals and of course Batman. I do want to note that if you’re worried about that being a spoiler, you don’t have to worry about that, that all happens within the first 10 minutes of the game.

Now that I’ve set the game up, I think now is a good time to start looking into the nitty-gritty of this game. Where does it really miss? It’s certainly something that has been talked about a lot but it needs to be brought up again and that’s the Tank battles. They’re not good and they’re not a lot of fun. The worst part is, there seems to be a lot of them. Not to mention, I don’t really know what that has to do with Batman when I hear Batman, I certainly don’t think tank battle. It just feels like Rocksteady wanted to make a new I.P. (Intellectual Property) but they were forced to make a third installment so they threw something new into the game that just doesn’t fit.

Then there is the severe lack of boss battles. There are technically a couple of tank boss battles but once again, what does that have to do with Batman? Origins is considered the worst by most people but you have give them credit for the boss battles. In Arkham Knight, I can think of one boss fight and it’s against the Arkham Knight where you have to stealthily walk up to him a few times.

The games’ story is alright, its nothing special and they don’t really try anything new or different from the comic books. I would say for a video game story it’s good but for a Batman story, its pretty stereotypical. Batman villain does some crazy **** and Batman must stop them. As a side note, I was very excited when Nightwing showed up and you actually get to control him.

I was hoping the Joker wouldn’t be in this game at all because it just seems like every adaptation of Batman has to have the Joker in it. Spoiler alert but Joker died in the previous game so my assumption was, his reign was over. As it turns out, he is dead but he’s still living in Bruce Wayne’s head. It may sound stupid it works, as you’re progressing through the game, he’s making all of these quips and sometimes he’s insulting you.

The best part of the Arkham franchise is the combat. The combat carries this series and it and it somehow feels better in this game. Since this game came out 4 years after Arkham City, this gave Rocksteady time to go through and polish the gameplay a little more and make the combat a little better. The most satisfying feeling is when you get those long 20-30 hit combos going. You just feel like a bad-ass superhero which is exactly how you want to feel when playing a Batman game.

In most games, my least favorite part of the game is the stealth level (sometimes its the water level but that’s not in this game). In this game, I really love the stealth and will usually opt to use stealthy measures to take on the bad guys. Most games, the stealth is hide behind this rock and peak your head out. In Arkham Knight, you can keep moving above the rafters, take people out from above or there are floor grates that you sneak around from below. With this mixture, you can keep changing up your strategy so you can be unpredictable to the AI and to make it a better gaming experience, it’s nice to be able to do something different.

To wrap things up, I would say this a good game but its a good game with missed potential. There are parts that I love (the combat and stealth) and there are massive disappointments (the tank battles). Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate the Batmobile. I enjoyed driving around the city in the vehicle itself and even some of the car chases were fun but when you’re stationary, shooting a cannon and taking out drones, it just doesn’t work.
  78. May 5, 2018
    First few hours will be amazing, after that it starts to get boring and repetitive, the enemies keep shouting the same thing over and over again, combat is still pretty identical to the older games and the boss battles are HORRIBLE. But this game isn't all bad.

The graphics are amazing. The game runs smoothly on console (do not know if they fixed PC yet) New tools to use in combat.

The graphics are amazing.
    The game runs smoothly on console (do not know if they fixed PC yet)
    New tools to use in combat.
    You can drive the Batmobile (overused in story though)
  79. Dec 1, 2015
    My summation of this entire game is: Meh.

I am a huge Batman fan and I loved the very first edition of this series, Arkham Asylum, but this game just did not do it for me. It was a fun diversion but otherwise it suffered from a few key problems that made me want to not even finish the game: Tank Wars: The Batmobile was a fun new mechanic that was added to the game but quickly became
    My summation of this entire game is: Meh.

Tank Wars: The Batmobile was a fun new mechanic that was added to the game but quickly became old and tedious battling other tanks CONSTANTLY. Of the dozens of amazing Batman villians available, I'm flummoxed as to why I spent half of the game battling nameless drones. Who cares? I certainly didn't.

Riddler Trophies: Even further down the list of things that I did not care about was anything having to do with the Riddler. The Riddler in Arkham Asylum was fun and the riddles were a bit easy to collect and added to the enjoyment. Then in Arkham City, the Riddler was overdone, leaving trophies all over the city in an insanely unrealistic way which made the landscape look silly by having glowing green paint and trophies littered everywhere. This game followed suit and I can say that I in no way derived any enjoyment from the inclusion of Riddler trophies in this game; they're not hard, they're tedious time wasters as Batman trying to save the city from certain death or a gamer trying to experience the story, I couldn't care less about that arc. The fact that I needed to complete these for the full final ending sequence added to my frustration and that's when I decided to not spend another 8 hours on this nonsense and just watch the full ending on Youtube.

Not enough challenge maps / Microtransaction: One of the things that added a few dozen more hours to my enjoyment in Arkham Asylum was the extra challenge maps. I forget how many maps there were, but it certainly felt more than 4, which is all we get in Arkham Knight...oh unless we pay extra for them with DLC. I'd of course be apt to do this if the original game was satisfying enough but it feels like this was something they removed to make more money and I don't feel like supporting that.

Not enough Batman: As I mentioned with my frustration in the Tank Wars, this game is filled with endless nameless thugs and drones. Bad guys I don't really care about and whom don't really challenge me as a player or Batman as a hero. There is so much rich history and lore to dive into with Batman and I feel like we're getting a rehash of sidequest from Arkham Asylum as the main story here. I didn't really get to know more about Batman, Gotham, or it's heroes and rogues galleries and the end result was "Meh." An ok, somewhat fun distraction but not a game that really satisfied.
  80. Nov 8, 2015
    Arkham City was one of my favorite games ever so I had some big expectations coming in which in many areas this game met but unfortunately there was just too much dang Batmobile which is very un Batman, I didn't buy this game for GTA.
  81. Aug 10, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the worst part of franchise. The control of bat-mobile is unnatural, Riddler's puzzles are boring, racing puzzles are awful and it seems that the plot was written by students. Expand
  82. Dec 22, 2015
    To be honest I didn't expect much from this game. But AK surprised me. It was better than I thought it would be.

Aside from a few visual glitches here and there (pre-patch in was raining inside the clock tower, *lol*) this is by far the most visually stunning of the Arkham games. It is Gorgeous and Gotham is lovingly detailed. Voice acting is on par with previous titles. Gameplay

Voice acting is on par with previous titles.

Gameplay wise nothing much has changed. AK more or less does the same as in the previous games adding little new of note. With exception to the Bat mobile which is a nice idea but seems most of the time to be a very forced gameplay mechanic. Gotham this time round feel smaller than before. Predator areas are not as prominent as in previous titles and this time round seems to favour H2H combat and bat mobile combat. A pity as the predator sections of the previous titles were my favourite.

Story is alright but not on par with previous iterations. However the surprise inclusion of a certain character was very creative and well done (even though one was lead to believe it not possible.)

Overall:
    Arkham Knight is not the worst but also not the best of the series. It tries a bit too hard to innovate but unfortunately it still feels to much the same. The Bat mobile is just forced too much and the game does lose a bit of the Batman feel to it.
  83. Oct 18, 2015
    All round a mediocre product. I can admit I'm not the biggest batman fan, but after just 30min I was already ready to move on. The core gameplay, camera panning and mechanics are simply average. I personally believe the only reason these games score so well is the remnants of fans from the first of the trilogy and a blind love for the dark knight himself. I got it simply from hearingAll round a mediocre product. I can admit I'm not the biggest batman fan, but after just 30min I was already ready to move on. The core gameplay, camera panning and mechanics are simply average. I personally believe the only reason these games score so well is the remnants of fans from the first of the trilogy and a blind love for the dark knight himself. I got it simply from hearing reviews, one of the greatest purchasing mistakes this year. I cannot recommend this game to anyone unfortunately. Expand
  84. Apr 11, 2016
    Ok....so before we proceed; for all those Batman fans out there that may be sceptical about buying the latest instalment in this franchise then allow me to allay your fears.
  85. Mar 15, 2017
    Batman: Arkham Knight is solidly ok, maybe more on the high side of a 7. The worst of the game is turning the super hero adventure into just another open world game where you have to take down bases and watchtowers. It's more like Far Cry: Batman than actual Batman. Actually, it gets even worse because many times in the game you cannot progress the main story until you wander around theBatman: Arkham Knight is solidly ok, maybe more on the high side of a 7. The worst of the game is turning the super hero adventure into just another open world game where you have to take down bases and watchtowers. It's more like Far Cry: Batman than actual Batman. Actually, it gets even worse because many times in the game you cannot progress the main story until you wander around the map and find enough side missions to pursue. Then there's the Batmobile.

At first blush, the Batmobile seems like an interesting addition to the game, and it turns into a tank so you can shoot "unmanned" drones. Then the it quickly becomes clear that the game requires you to use the Batmobile every other mission and constantly upgrade it to complete those missions. The game then becomes part driving, part tank fighting, and part actual Batman game. Only one of those is really worth playing. Maybe I would enjoy the Batmobile more if it was more driveable, faster, and less prone to slide into buildings and off bridges.

The actual story in the game is greatly presented but actually pretty short when you subtract the Batmobile sequences and all of the time you spend running around looking for mandatory side missions. The encounters with the side villains are slight, such as stopping a few bank robberies and then punching the villain just like any other goon. The Riddler missions are more extensive, but even they waste time by requiring Batman to traverse the city to find and then solve simple puzzles. I can imagine a better game presenting truly difficult Riddler puzzle that the player could solve while the game is paused, and then watch the Riddler's astonished face as Batman once again proves his mental superiority.

As far as the real Batman part of the game goes, it works wonderfully. The story is classic Batman, the brooding loner against all odds to save Gotham from his sadistic and psychologically damaged foes. Batman has his usual counter moves and gadgets and as I player I felt confident taking on large groups of enemies. Some of the gadgets could use more oomph, and I'm surprised Batman's arsenal doesn't include a taser and other non-lethal ways to quickly take down enemies. I suppose when you have the strength and reflexes of Batman, your don't really need a lot of offensive gadgets.

All in all, Arkham Knight is a decent enough adventure but you have to be willing to accept repetitive Batmobile tank battles, base captures, and wandering around Gotham aimlessly in hopes of finding something fun to do.
  86. Jun 17, 2016
    After an average arkham origins, people like me where expecting so much for rocksteady comeback, expecting an improvement for this game like what happend before with arkham city. And it's not the case. The "new" city brings nothing better in the gameplay exept some vertical predator areas,it seems that the inside building are very few if you compare to the new size of the city (Arkham cityAfter an average arkham origins, people like me where expecting so much for rocksteady comeback, expecting an improvement for this game like what happend before with arkham city. And it's not the case. The "new" city brings nothing better in the gameplay exept some vertical predator areas,it seems that the inside building are very few if you compare to the new size of the city (Arkham city had same number of inside areas and it was :4 smaller) giving a really empty feeling, added the the fact that all the people leaved the city once again 4 an obscure reason. The batmobile wich is supposed to be a high light of the game is just half convincing. the driving is just ok, as a forza and gta player even if i lowered my expectations, i is hard for me to feel something from the driving, but ok i easily imagine it is ok for most of the players, which is something i can't do with the battle mode, it is the wrong part, it is too much simplist, and the game is filled with it, if you compare to the fighting system, you'll find an untapped potential of combos and moves. There's very good moments in this game, especially those inspired from the comics Killing Joke and Hush, but they are lost, diluted in a disappointing fow. Expand
  87. Mar 6, 2016
    It would have easily been an 8 if the batmobile sections weren't in them, or at least not so frequent. It improves on the features and mechanics of the previous two games otherwise. The story is a hodgepodge of ideas used before, but that's fine, since it's probably just paying homage to much of the source material and adaptations.
  88. Nov 11, 2015
    I have played the excellent Arkham asylum and city, and can safely say that Batman's transition to the next generation feels rather stale and jarring. It feels like more of the same game with beautiful graphics and grander scope, but padded content and uninspired activities. Never did I feel the desire to explore Gotham, even less so when in the batmobile as inevitably that involves "tankI have played the excellent Arkham asylum and city, and can safely say that Batman's transition to the next generation feels rather stale and jarring. It feels like more of the same game with beautiful graphics and grander scope, but padded content and uninspired activities. Never did I feel the desire to explore Gotham, even less so when in the batmobile as inevitably that involves "tank combat". Less said about that the better.
    Side activities are not innovative or interesting enough to make them more then a set of chores.
  89. Jan 24, 2016
    As a whole Arkham Knight is no more than average. If this game was released back in 2014, when it was supposed to be relesead, no doubt this game would be a hit, but in a year of Bloodborn, Witcher 3 and specially MSGV, its really hard to care about Arkham Knight.

The graphics are amazing, easily the best graphics of the current generation.The game is set in one singles night, a rainy one. The rain and light effects are superb. Facial expression from characters are really smooth and natural. Voice acting is quiet good.

But, besides that, there is nothing special, at least in a good way, to talk about this game. The story, unlike the most recent Batman movies (Dark Knight trilogy), is pretty silly, full of cheap dialogue lines. There is no complex villains, only the typical "Batman, I'm better than you, and I will prove it" kind of thing.

You know, games with Batman, or Star Wars brand on them are always going to target people that are more interested in their beloved franchise than in games. Perhaps that will explain he fact this game is always telling you what to do next, and how to do. Its the opposite of a game a like MGSV, that, despite featuring the same kind of final objective over and over, let you choose the approach for each mission, and as results, every single time you tried a specific mission you would get a different experience. That won't happen here. If you get ouf of Batmobile during another boring tank fight, Batman himself will tell you "I must get back to Batmobile, its under attack". If you try to hack a computer while no one else notices you, Batman you tell you "I need to eliminate the hostiles, before I can access the computer". If you try to open a door and explore more, Batman will come up with something like "I can walk around in Batman suit, its too suspicious", If you try to access a mission after losing enemies tanks, Batman will tell you "I can enter here, its too dangerous, I must eliminate all the enemies first". The game is always telling you what you can't do.

The core gameplay is pretty "meh": you have those fights that used to be great when first Arkham games were released years ago, but got pretty old in 2015. All you need to do is keep pressing one or two buttons untill you have taken down all your enemies. No doubt its a better experience than you will find in the terrible Mad Max, but behind of "Shadows of Mordor" experience. Really ironic, since that game took many elements from Arkham games, but in terms of gameplay raised the bar.

I found the puzzles unnecessary. Most of them are pretty unnimaginative. Thats not a Zelda kind of game, based in solving puzzles, finding keys, oppening doors and beating the next big boss, so its pretty annoying that you will find yourself in front of a closed door, and you need to find a way to let you Batmobile in. I said "Batmobile"?, Batmobile is eveverywhere. Actually, most part of the game you will spend driving the Batmobile.

Batmobile is no fun to drive, it has a pretty bad gameplay, and feels like a bumper car. Some missions require you to find a way to let the Batmobile access the roof of a building, since its the only way to open a door, not to mention the boring tank fights. They are everywhere. I keep wondering what they were thinking when they decided to give the Batmobile this kind of important role in this game, worst than that, you keep wondering why they forced you to use the Batmobile.

The "open world" is amazing to look at, and to fly around, but it feels empty, not because the city was evacuated, but because all you can do there is the same boring fights, and many areas you can't even access on foot, since the enemy tanks will kill with one singles shoot, so you must use the Batmobile (again!).

PS4 versions, despite the great graphics, don't run 100% okay. During some explosive action I found that the game was on the verge of crashing.

The best aspect of the game was Batman Joker hallucinations. There is no game around that explored surrealism in a better way than Batman Arkham Knight, its a shame thats not enough to overshadow the boring gameplay, lack of freedom and unispiring story.
  90. Nov 16, 2015
    This is a great game - visually and story-wise - but it still has a ton of control/camera issues during the game-play that makes me want to throw my controller through a wall.

The game is pretty well optimized for PS4, though I do notice frame rate drops at random points in game. ironically it is not during action shots but at random junctions. I am not sure if it is actually my ps4 or an issue with the game.

I think the batman mobile addition is a good, but agree with reviews that the game feels like it forces you to use it. Fights that involve that car can be tedious and annoying.

Getting 100% ending is easy, but very time consuming.

Riddles are fun but some are incredibly stupid to find.

Overall, definitely worth a buy now that it is cheaper.
  91. Nov 16, 2020
    The PS4 version is not plagued by the bugs of the PC port. It is the final game in the Arkham trilogy (Origins was from a different developer). For itself the game follows the successful formula of the predecessors. It has been 9 months since the events of Arkham City and the death of a certain character (No name given here because I don't know if this counts as spoiler even if it happenedThe PS4 version is not plagued by the bugs of the PC port. It is the final game in the Arkham trilogy (Origins was from a different developer). For itself the game follows the successful formula of the predecessors. It has been 9 months since the events of Arkham City and the death of a certain character (No name given here because I don't know if this counts as spoiler even if it happened in the prequel). Scarecrow is threatening Gotham City with his fear toxin. The whole city is evacuated and Batman has to deal with this menace. Additionally there is a new enemy the Arkham Knight who knows far more about Batman then any other of his enemies. The story is good and immersive from start to finish. There is something that I cant spoil that makes it enjoyable and is a good twist or brilliant idea. Alone this makes the game better and I was most entertained. Lets say it is all inside his head ;-). However the Arkham Knight was disappointing. When you have even a little knowledge you think about who he could be and make a conclusion that it could not be a certain character as it would be much too obvious, a letdown and boring. It was that character and they advertised the Arkham Knight as something special and mysterious. The addition that we all were hyped for was the Batmobile. While being firstly satisfying and awesome it gets soon boring and repetitive or just overstayed its welcome. After a while you want to skip using it. Then there is the true ending. You have too solve all Riddlers trophies to get it. It is a waste of time as there are over 200 and I as nearly all others don't have the patience to do this (and skill for some if I am honest). Luckily there is YouTube for this. The gameplay is rock solid or stays at the formula of the Arkham games and the stealth and free flow combat system is satisfying. I must repeat that this games make you feel like Batman. It is still satisfying to use stealth to incapacitate one enemy after the other without getting seen or feel the impact of hits and counters in the free flow combat. I must however also admit that it gets a bit repetitive after 3 games. You get also new gadgets that are satisfying. Warning: Some can be missed or skipped. The graphic and representation is really good. The soundtrack helps to create a good atmosphere. I think I have enough dodged the bullet. Overall this is my least liked Arkham game. Some disappointments add up like the Batmobile, true ending, some parts of the (good) story and the identity of the Arkham Knight. Sounds maybe too harsh because it is still a good game but not as good and impressive as Arkham Asylum and Arkham City at their time. Expand
  92. Dec 9, 2015
    Batman: Arkham Knight

Batman: Arkham Knight

Game-Play: The game-play follows the recipe from previous arkham games with some very welcome improvements in the combat and the traveling system. The Batmobile is on the game and I should say it is fun at first but it is over stays it's welcome I know that we all wanted the batmobile in the arkham games but in this game it takes the 50 % of the game and turns it into a world of tanks batman edition or the batman goes on war or maybe batmobile the arkham knight it feels like batman always need the batmobile to do something like throwing a rope a thing that in previous games could do with the batclaw that by the way is still in the game and it is almost useless.

Story: The story is the best I have ever seen in a Batman game very strong with great character development the only thing I was disappointed was the very obvious reveal of the Arkham Knight and the ending which it was ok but I wanted something more for the ending of this epic games.The story will take you around 15 hours to complete although I have to say that I really did not like the fact that you have to complete the game at 100% to get the true ending.

Graphics: The graphics are amazing on of the best looking games out there.

Notes: The boss fights are **** sometimes you may not ever realize that you are in a boss fight.But I really like the new gadgets and the team combos you can do when you take control of the Nightwing the Robin and The Catwoman. In the end it is not a bad game just it was not what we expected I think that this is the worst Arkham game to date but that does not mean I did not like it or enjoy it this is a good game but I think you should wait for a price drop before you buy it.
  93. Nov 6, 2016
    once again the same game. two important thinks that i really hated about this game is the f*cking batmobile/world of tanks battle. and the bad combat system on the gadgets that previous games didnt have. DLCs and Riddler's quests. TRASH AS ALWAYS. but this time i have to admit that I liked the story. graphics sound and atmosphere was on point. i think 6 is very generous for the third in aonce again the same game. two important thinks that i really hated about this game is the f*cking batmobile/world of tanks battle. and the bad combat system on the gadgets that previous games didnt have. DLCs and Riddler's quests. TRASH AS ALWAYS. but this time i have to admit that I liked the story. graphics sound and atmosphere was on point. i think 6 is very generous for the third in a row mediocre game (after first batman) Expand
  94. Oct 6, 2015
    In spite of the Batmobile sequences and a blasé ending, it's still a lot of fun to be The Batman. The game is beautiful, voice acting is top-notch, the storytelling and atmosphere are solid, even if it drags quite a bit towards the end. If you're at all familiar with the Batman comics, you'll see the identity of the Arkham Knight coming from a hundred miles away. The controls don't feel asIn spite of the Batmobile sequences and a blasé ending, it's still a lot of fun to be The Batman. The game is beautiful, voice acting is top-notch, the storytelling and atmosphere are solid, even if it drags quite a bit towards the end. If you're at all familiar with the Batman comics, you'll see the identity of the Arkham Knight coming from a hundred miles away. The controls don't feel as tight in this game (especially the marble-on-ice traction of the Batmobile), and it does end up suffering a bit from "Generic Sandbox Syndrome." Regarding gadgets, the Voice Synthesizer and Electrical Charge in this game could easily have been left out. In the end, it falls short of the progressively higher bar set by Asylum and City, but is still an enjoyable experience for any Batman fan. If you're not much into Batman, you can probably pass on this one.
    (If you do play, I highly recommend avoiding melee combat whenever possible, and going the "Predator" route in encounters. It's the most enjoyable way to play the game, and trust me, you'll get enough forced fights to fulfill your fisticuffs fetish.)
  95. Sep 13, 2015
    All patched up and running acceptably on PC. Let's bring it down to the level.

Absolutely nothing works the way it is supposed to, absolutely nothing is polished (except for the graphics, which are lovely [but completely dysfunctional]), and absolutely nothing lives up to the previous Batman games. Rather than polishing the experience up to a fine sheen, Rocksteady crammed
    All patched up and running acceptably on PC. Let's bring it down to the level.

Rather than polishing the experience up to a fine sheen, Rocksteady crammed everything they could think of into a disjointed romp of fan-boy lip service, all focusing on the twitch-based ability to tap 2 buttons at the right moment. Repeat until the endgame.

1.) Graphics

They're gorgeous. Absolutely, amazingly gorgeous. Dark and gritty, with layers of detail at every turn, and gorgeous special effects...and all of it serves degrade the experience. 90% of the time you'll be unable to tell what you're looking at, because everything is a crisscrossing nightmare of catwalks, odd angles, and vision-obscuring clutter. This "noise" coupled with the most asinine camera control scheme I've ever encountered in a game means that you never get to appreciate anything your seeing. Details are either something blocking what's important or something whizzing by the foreground of the screen as the stupid "cinematic effect" kicks in and sends the camera automatically panning around to the most obscure and disorienting angle and zoom-level possible. And if you need to get a sense of what you can do or interact with, you tap a key to make everything disappear into a wash of flat blue, orange, and yellow -- literally turning your objectives in glowing neon signs. So very immersive.

On foot, you literally cannot see what's in front of you as half your field of vision is obscured by Batman himself. That's right. You cannot look FORWARD. You are forced to play the game by glancing down and to the left to see what's directly freaking in front of you. Rocksteady, you gotta be kidding.

2.) Controls

I need to draw a comparison here between Batman: AK and the much older The Matrix: Path of Neo. Both games introduce a wildly complex combat system with insanely complicated combos. And both aim for the same goal -- you can get through the game by using nothing but the basic attacks, but you can invest in the system to get through fights with style! While Path of Neo offers awesome combos and take-downs that let you set up a fight for brilliant, improvised awesomeness, Batman: AK refuses to allow the player any meaningful control over combat, instead forcing them to react to predetermined attacks constantly shoved in the player's face by endless "alert icons" that appear over enemies' heads. The game is filled with interesting approaches to combat evidenced by huge trees of combo and technology upgrades. Good luck actually using them at will, however. Every single skill or gadget that you attempt to use during combat will either fail outright or execute in the most illogical way possible. I guess Rocksteady was trying to add difficulty to a game that can be won simply by spamming beat-down and execution attacks. Nice. Now you're punished for improvisation.

Oh, and unless you're a professional typist, be ready to exercise extreme levels of patience. Functions that should have been context sensitive are instead placed in brain-dead locations all over the keyboard, such as quick-attacks required the player to double-tap a number key. Have fun re-configuring keys and avoiding conflicts. Even then, trying to glide while locking onto specific enemies while tapping number keys and switching gadgets without releasing the spacebar... How about a simple system allowing you to queue the attacks in advance, then a single execute button when you're ready to launch. You know, like actual tactics and planning.

And the Batmobile is a wash. Tank-mode? Seriously? At least it's only ONE-THIRD OF THE DAMN GAME.

3.) The Story

I know nothing about the Batman universe except for the Hollywood films and maybe 10 episodes of one of the cartoons I watched with my nephew a few years ago. It took me approximately two hours to figure out who the Arkham Knight was. Brilliant writing.

The rest of the story is a confusing, disjointed series of events and references that requires you to be familiar with the universe and/or the prior games.

4.) Conclusion

Why a rating of 5? Voice acting is brilliant. Loved the Joker stuff -- Mark Hamill is my favorite Joker after Heath Ledger! And I really enjoyed wasting time and beating up random rioters in the streets. Best part of the whole game.
  96. Dec 12, 2015
    You don't even know how much I love me some Batman. I have played all the games and that's why I have to finally get this review in and mark it a 5.
    OK - if you love the series, you know this game is just like all the others. It's super formulaic now. It tries to come off as free world but the side quests and challenges aren't interesting - they get old quick. I get that this game tried to focus a bit more on the Batmobile and that's fun but now you have to use the Batmobile to get this done or get that done. I mean, timing your roof top jumps in the Batmobile was kinda like the jump the shark moment for me when I realized that Rocksteady was just grasping at straws here.
    So here's the problem I see for the franchise and any potential upcoming games - if we don't, as fans, let the developers know that we demand more from our games, we won't get more. These games are all the same - let's be honest - the combat, the story, the gadgets - it's like a bunch of DLC released as new games.
    Like I said, I love Batman and I've enjoyed the series but I'm hoping to see a fresh reboot.
  97. Dec 28, 2016
    As a fan of the series and especially "Arkham Asylum" I had a lot of mixed feelings as I finished the game. The game delivers a worthy story and end for this awesome series, but sadly the gameplay does not live up to the high expectations. The fundamentals known from the predecessors work as well as ever and the feeling of being Batman is as satisfying as ever. On the other hand, theAs a fan of the series and especially "Arkham Asylum" I had a lot of mixed feelings as I finished the game. The game delivers a worthy story and end for this awesome series, but sadly the gameplay does not live up to the high expectations. The fundamentals known from the predecessors work as well as ever and the feeling of being Batman is as satisfying as ever. On the other hand, the Batmobil is unbelievably disappointing. These "Tank-Missions" occur way to often and I really had to force myself through these parts of the game.It is never a good thing to say about a sequel, that pretty much every innovation makes the game worse. But here it is definitely the case. Expand
  98. Jun 19, 2017
    The Rocksteady Batman games have all been good games. And this is no exception. With the best combat in the game and a huge open world whats there not to like? Well the Villain "The Arkham Knight" kinda was underdeveloped and you can guess who it is straight away and oh boy that bat mobile combat. Geez. Still fun game.
  99. Jul 13, 2015
  100. Nov 30, 2019
    Downloaded this game from PS plus for free and I actually finished it. It was alright. Not my usual kind of game to be fair. I prefer open world and RPG. Some fun parts, some lame parts. All in all, alright.

Overrated AF.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 89 Critic Reviews

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Sep 1, 2015
    Batman: Arkham Knight presents a technically proficient and overall satisfying ending to the Arkham series, but suffers from overuse of the novelty item Batmobile and extremely repetitive tank battles. [Aug 2015]
  2. Aug 26, 2015
    Batman: Arkham Knight is the best looking game in the series so far, and includes a lot of cool stuff for fans of Batman. But at the same time it’s starting to feel like Rocksteady is almost too comfortable. It lacks new content, except the pretty bad designed Batmobile parts. If you haven’t played the previous games that much you will probably think that this is one of the best games this year.
  3. Games Master UK
    Aug 18, 2015
    A million different elements blended seamlessly into one brilliantly cohesive experience. [Summer 2015, p.64]