5.8

1. Dec 19, 2017
    Good graphics and storytelling, but the frequent loading screens break the game and make it a huge chore to complete. If they had ironed out the technical issues, loading screens, and bugs where you get stuck, it would have prolly been a pretty good game.
  2. Apr 25, 2018
    Well, it's a complete game. Solid music sets the backdrop for this should-be point and click adventure game that brings some solid gameplay elements to the table. However, the constant loading screens between rooms really puts you as a player at a loss for exploration, the "master key" puzzles can be irritating based off your perspective, and the control scheme can get wonky which is aWell, it's a complete game. Solid music sets the backdrop for this should-be point and click adventure game that brings some solid gameplay elements to the table. However, the constant loading screens between rooms really puts you as a player at a loss for exploration, the "master key" puzzles can be irritating based off your perspective, and the control scheme can get wonky which is a shame especially when towards the end of the game there is a "puzzle" that forces you to walk a specific path on the floor.

As I stated, it's a solid game and if you yearn for the feeling of an old school point-and-click adventure game, this should satiate you for roughly 5 or 6 hours.
  3. Dec 7, 2017
    Take a seat and get ready to play King Art Games Black Mirror on the PalyStation 4. Firstly you'll need a nice cup of tea, a large waterproof coat and most of all a note pad and pen, or pencil if you feel that rubbing things out is better rather than scribbling. It's been years, and I mean years since I've been playing a game and needed to write things down, cross things out then writeTake a seat and get ready to play King Art Games Black Mirror on the PalyStation 4. Firstly you'll need a nice cup of tea, a large waterproof coat and most of all a note pad and pen, or pencil if you feel that rubbing things out is better rather than scribbling. It's been years, and I mean years since I've been playing a game and needed to write things down, cross things out then write things down again. Black Mirror takes you back to the good old days of puzzling in the vain of Resident Evil, Silent Hill and the like. Puzzles that will really get the old grey matter turning cogs that you'd put to sleep with the many 'hold your hand' games out there. DON'T go on the internet and find the answers, you'd be gutted. Once you crack the clue you'll be made up.

Grab your coat, we're off to bonny Scotland.

Bonny but not Sunny that's for sure. You play as David Gordan a middle aged man, depending on what you consider middle aged, an Innocent clean cut fella who's just inherited a small family castle to whom the inhabitants are not exactly welcoming. I have to be very careful and quite vague about the games story. The thing is Black Mirror is a 3rd person adventure thriller rather than horror with a very good story and to talk about any aspect of the story could lead to big fat spoilers. In parts of the game you will 'interact', that is all I'm going to say, and some of these 'interactions' can lead to a life or death situation that is very well done if not a little confusing when you first have to react.
    In parts of the game you don't work alone, you're with another character following you lighting the way at night with a candle. A storm has hit the Scottish county side knocking out the power so in the night scenes your candle light dances off the walls leading your way in the hunt for clues.

This takes me to the graphics in Black mirror. The artwork in the mansion is brilliant, excellent texture work is complemented by the fantastic lighting engine. The light shines off every object casting pin sharp shadows that realistically move as you do. The woodwork that is virtually everywhere is carved to perfection. Flames lick at logs in the fire and moonlight pans through the windows as you walk by. What really impressed me most, that could as easily be overlooked was the rain running down the glass. Once I'd spotted it I couldn't help but stop every now and then to take another look. Anyone that has played the very first Resident Evil will smile when the game first starts inside. I hope you get the same 'deja vu' feeling that I had.
    Outdoors is a mixed bag. While for the most part it's very plain you will be drawn to parts of it that will make you look twice. At night it can be very pretty.

Sound is done very well. Footsteps ring out in the silence of the castle as you wander about searching for clues, candles burn and fires crackle as you walk by. The Scottish tones are done well and people in the US needn't worry as everything is subtitled. Hearing the rain against the glass is brilliant in 5.1 surround as does the lake water lapping at the edge of the land.

Black Mirror is by no means a point-and-click game. In my opinion anyway. I'd say it's more of a interactive 3rd person action game. Sure you point and click in parts but for the most part it feels very 3rd person adventure so please don't be put off by the term 'Point and Click' that may come up in reviews as the game is far more than that.
    Black Mirror is a back to the old school adventure that will have you hooked after the slow start but once things get going you'll want to solve the mystery of the Black Mirror.
  4. Apr 7, 2020
    Good story, some -few- good puzzles, great Scottish atmosphere, great indoor´s lightning, but a lot of technical issues to ruin the experience. Really a shame, it could have been so much better with a bigger budget, however, is worth to play it -you can get it for free with ps now- because is very short
  5. May 5, 2020
    A flawed horror game with few scares but plenty of B-movie appeal, it'll scratch an adventuring itch.
  6. Sep 28, 2020
    The best thing here is atmosphere. It is very immersive. Puzzles aren't challenging, but good characters do the trick.
  7. Nov 1, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There's a lot to love in this game; spooky premise, gothic setting, creepy characters and a subtle psychological suspense.

Sadly there's also a lot to dislike...graphical **** unexpected freezes, dialogue without moving mouths, and long (and frequent) load times.

But if you can see past the technical troubles there's plenty to enjoy about this mystery.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 31, 2018
    Black Mirror is a good story that suffers from a dated application of game styles. While this is interesting in a meta way, it is not much fun to play. The narrative itself plays out fairly successfully. but it is hard to recommend it for this alone.
  2. Jan 22, 2018
    Black Mirror has a lot of potential to be a good game with the story. There’s an interesting mystery to uncover that is compelling even if it isn’t real new. That potential is pulled short however by a lot of technical issues that can take away immersion and in some cases, ruin the game entirely.
  3. Jan 1, 2018
    Even as a hardcore fan of point & click adventures, you’ll still have a hard time adopting to Black Mirror. Broken gameplay and disappointing story is just a small part of its so many issues, and even as a fan of the Black Mirror franchise, playing over the original trilogy seems to be a better option.