7.9

1. Jan 7, 2020
    Blasphemous boasts an incredibly gorgeous and intricately detailed pixel art-style which gives the likes of Hyper Light Drifter and Owl Boy a serious run for their money. The setting is horribly violent and depressing, and it never lets up once in the time you’ll have with it. The story itself takes a great deal of inspiration from The Bible and the Holy Inquisition, but doesn’t exist toBlasphemous boasts an incredibly gorgeous and intricately detailed pixel art-style which gives the likes of Hyper Light Drifter and Owl Boy a serious run for their money. The setting is horribly violent and depressing, and it never lets up once in the time you’ll have with it. The story itself takes a great deal of inspiration from The Bible and the Holy Inquisition, but doesn’t exist to advocate or protest The Bible, but simply just take a great deal of inspiration from its themes and narrative. The narrative and lore actually ended up being my favorite part of Blasphemous, I loved how twisted and unrelenting its tale of suffering was, and how it intertwined with its different gameplay mechanics. Upon looking into the games story and world, so much of the games seemingly obscure requirements for beating the game and getting the true ending became far more apparent and made much more sense. The savage world and its enigmatic characters were all interesting and enjoyable, and I was always itching to find out more about while playing.

Initially the game opens up, letting you tackle three bosses/areas in any order you’d like, but once you’ve completed all three bosses there’s one last big area to complete. But unfortunately that’s where Blasphemous’ important choices end. There are heaps of different abilities and pieces of equipment to try out, but I never found any of them to crucial to beating the game, or even really that fun to use and I have a few specific issues with them;

- Rosary Bead and Mea Culpa Heart affects were usually pretty minute, and not all that helpful. Most of them had affects that were just not useful at or, or that were so minute in their affects that I didn’t even notice them. The only Rosary Beads that I ended up using consistently were the ones that gave you more HP, MP and defense, which are arguably the most boring.

- I believe there are only seven Prayers (spells) in the game, and considering you can only have one equipped at once there is simply just not enough variety to make them fun to use. The abilities are fairly fun to use at first, but combined with the fact that you have a very finite MP bar, the abilities have fairly limited practical uses and only being able to have one equipped at once means you’re not only barely using them but you also get stuck with just one at a time – and you can’t even change them unless you’re at a checkpoint. They really should have let you equip multiple at once, or given them more versatile uses because I found that on their own they’re not all that helpful or fun to use, and that I was barely using them.

- Relics unlock different abilities which are required for finding new areas or hidden objects. This is fine in theory, but two improvements could have been made. 1. You can only have 3 of these 5 relics equipped at once, meaning you have to interchange them instead of just being able to use them all at once. There's no reason to not be able to have all of these effects active at once, it just ends up making them less satisfying to find/use and are tedious to swap in and out. 2. These effects are underwhelming, they do things like make additional platforms appear and give resistances to uncommon hazards like poison smog and water

The game struggles a little bit with its equipment and abilities, fortunately the games areas are so fun to explore on their own that it is ultimately still very fun to play anyways. Every area has distinct enemies, environments, beautiful music, obstacles and environments to experience, and each is as fun as the last. The games platforming really shines when it’s combined with combat encounters, trying to navigate treacherous traps and tight platforms all while dealing with enemies makes for some really distinct and intense combat encounters, because the game merges the two seamlessly with great success. The controls are tight and responsive, making platforming and combat feel tight and responsive. The great variety in enemies, bosses paired with the amazing animations make for an engaging combat system which is as fun to watch as it is play.

Blasphemous is certainly worth your time, it’s art direction and story is without a doubt worth the price of admission alone. It controls perfectly, the level design is great, the combat is tight and responsive and all the areas are interesting and fun to explore. It however suffers from some very weak, boring, useless and restraining abilities and items. A lot of potential here, and I look forward to seeing what the developers do next.
  2. Jul 24, 2020
    BLASPHEMOUS gives us a macabre yet beautiful pixel art world inspired by religious iconography from the spanish inquisition.
    Challenging but rewarding gameplay with some of the best boss fights the genre has to offer.
    Bold artistic choices helped create a sense of danger, fear and some jaw dropping scenes of beauty which establishes a perfect mood for this type of story. The lore is
    The lore is very rich and it's left for the players to explore and discover.
    BLASPHEMOUS deserves a sequel. It leaves us wanting to keep living in this macabre world and we want to explore and expand upon the world, characters, lore and gameplay mechanics.
  3. Sep 11, 2019
    Awesome indie game! Incorporates a lot of good stuff from both Castlevania and Soulsborne games! The artstyle and atmosphere is extremely good, buy it and enjoy it, it is worth the money.
  4. Sep 19, 2019
    Me ha encantado, tenía muchas ganas de tenerlo y no me ha defraudado nada. Una pasada
  5. Sep 11, 2019
    This game is amazing. It’s like I’m playing dark souls again for the first time. The art, level design, lore , open ended exploration, and music are all fantastic. Some of the “critic” reviews say it’s not as polished or good as dead cells or hollow knight but having played those games (and liking them) I beg to differ! Just as good if not better in some areas! If you’re a fan ofThis game is amazing. It’s like I’m playing dark souls again for the first time. The art, level design, lore , open ended exploration, and music are all fantastic. Some of the “critic” reviews say it’s not as polished or good as dead cells or hollow knight but having played those games (and liking them) I beg to differ! Just as good if not better in some areas! If you’re a fan of Soulsborne (I am a big fan), or metroidvania games, give this a go. You will not be disappointed. Expand
  6. Sep 25, 2019
    I did it, I ignored all of the reviews that said the artwork was great but the gameplay was terrible. I opened an account on metacritic to implore you not to make the same mistake.

As you explore the world, there is a lot to love: toppling great bosses, exploring new areas, and brutally dismantling your foes. Between every great moment of satisfaction though, there are ugly deaths. Not the type of deaths where you learn some humility and caution from your own arrogance or haste, but deaths due to clunky mechanics, enemies that are literally invisible until they attack, or the constant threat of fatal bottomless pits or spikes. Artificially difficult games like this show a lack of forethought on the designer's end that just go to show there are a lot of people out there trying to cash in on the soulslike and metroidvania 2d phenomenon without having a good idea as to what make those games work. Games like this remind me of how good games like Hollow Knight and Dead Cells are. Do yourself a favor and buy one of those two games instead.
  7. Sep 10, 2019
    A really cool and bloody metroidvania . With a cool style and killer combat
  8. Sep 10, 2019
    Fantastica historia y gameplay en este metroidvania que es toda una sorpresa del estudio español
  9. Nov 20, 2019
    Blasphemous is a mix of a Metroidvania and a souls-like. But really it has more in common with the Dark Souls series. This is because at the core Blasphemous is brutally difficult combat that requires players to master the nuances of blocking and dodging. Exploring deeper into a dungeon eventually reveals a door that loops back to the starting point. All very typical to the Dark SoulsBlasphemous is a mix of a Metroidvania and a souls-like. But really it has more in common with the Dark Souls series. This is because at the core Blasphemous is brutally difficult combat that requires players to master the nuances of blocking and dodging. Exploring deeper into a dungeon eventually reveals a door that loops back to the starting point. All very typical to the Dark Souls experience.

Where Blasphemous truly shines is style. Possibly the best pixel art and animation I have ever seen. Incredible moody music. Art direction that will consistently surprise. It was a nice contrast to a very similar game, Bloodstained. Bloodstained has a bit more meat to the experience and is more polished over all... but Blasphemous is just so much cooler. When characters speak in Bloodstained you will undoubtedly start spamming the skip button. On the rare occasions a character speaks in Blasphemous it's usually arcane and profound. It will leave you confused but you might also be thinking, man that sounded pretty cool whatever the hell he just said.

Sadly the game is a little on the short side. On top of that it can be pretty buggy. I've gotten stuck on geometry, had the game freeze up, or just crash to desktop. It was still playable but bugs popped enough to tarnish the score ever so slightly.

So if you found yourself wanting a slightly easier Dark Souls that looks like an SNES game on speed. Or you just want a game like Bloodstained that doesn't cringe you out with corny dialog... Blasphemous might be the game you're looking for.
  10. Jan 16, 2020
    While the visuals and audio are certainly quite appealing, creating a beautiful game to behold, unfortunately that is where the praise ends.

Allow me to tell you a story. There was a time when Team17 was relevant, many decades ago. Back in that era, most games were only 1 hour or so long. To compensate, these games were made ridiculously difficult. Covering the screen with projectiles while severely limiting one's movement being a common practice. This would force the player to take damage, unless they were frame perfect that is. This among other tactics would be employed in order to inflate the play time, making the game seem like it was actually worth the entry fee. However, this isn't the 80s, or the 90s for that matter. The game industry has since matured, by replaced unplayable rooms with actual skill and challenge based gameplay. Team17, clearly is still the same prepubescent child of a developer is was back then. There were dozens upon dozens of occasions, primarily when engaging a boss, in which the entire screen would be covered in death, leaving me literally nowhere to go. It's the primary reason I literally just made this account. Only a simple child would consider the act of pinning the player to a wall and clubbing them repeatedly over the head would be intelligent, let alone enjoyable game design.

Then comes the clunk. Apparently Team17 has forgotten what competent code looks like, as nearly every ability you gain require a basic attack input. An intelligent designer would have read the input and immediately started the animation for the action. Team17 decided making you waste time doing a basic attack first no matter what the intended move nor the context of the input was clearly the better option. Not to mention the hit detection can be an absolute joke. Multiple enemies are quite literally invincible, ignoring my attacks and input, literally not taking damage, and proceeding to bulldoze through my character like I didn't exist. Multiple times I would phase through platforms to my annoyance as I tried to make a simple jump.

Dark souls, which this game is clearly "subtly inspired" by, encourages the player to try again. Each failure gives the player pause. Something to think about, be it technique or learning a bit of caution. Blasphemous has no such feeling. Death is merely a joke, in which the game relishes in rubbing your nose in it. It laughs at you, knowing there is to learn. The game merely decided it was bored of being played and has decided that it is time for you to stop. Quite literally, the primary deaths I experienced, weren't my fault. Many times, I would be moving along, when something off screen would knock me into a pit, or a boss would drop delayed attacks on either side of me before impaling his scepter through me, because that is both intelligently designed and fair. Deaths from bosses never felt like my fault, as attempting to avoid one attack would simply drop in the middle of three more instead.

All in all, the game looks and sounds beautiful, but plays like absolute trash. The developer clearly hasn't learned a thing since their founding, and are merely piggybacking off of a trend far better and more complex then they could ever comprehend, let alone clone.
  11. Mar 7, 2020
    "Finally, a video game that truly captures the Catholic experience." - The Pope
  12. Oct 24, 2019
    I have played the game for around 34h and got 99.25%, I loved most of the things in the game and here is my thoughts on pros and cons below:
    Pros:
    - Good story, but you have to fish for it like Dark souls games. - Amazing and pixel perfect with dark style visuals. - Great bosses and enemies designs. - very responsive controller and well thought fighting styles of each enemy. - Music
    Pros:
    - Good story, but you have to fish for it like Dark souls games.
    - Amazing and pixel perfect with dark style visuals.
    - Great bosses and enemies designs.
    - very responsive controller and well thought fighting styles of each enemy.
    - Music is a very beautiful, atmospheric and very dark that fit perfectly within Blasphemous world.
    Cons:
    - A glitch in some spikes places if you fall and die your guild will stay within the spikes and retrieving it become impossible! I have tried to retrieve in some areas , but my guild kept stacking up in the same place over and over till I went to one of the guilt statues and retrieved it. My point here If you want to get the true ending you have to destroy the guilt statues and if you do, how would you retrieve you guilt in case of glitch?!
    - The reason I got 99.25% because of one optional boss that you only fight once and if you die because you were not prepared and out flasks you will lose the rosary bead, also a tree quest that trigger once you step your foot in the snow area without indication that you have to do it right a way or you will lose it forever! The game have multiple paths that you can visit at any order you desire and putting a limited time quest is not well thought concept!
  13. Dec 13, 2019
    Abslutely loved this game. The combat is really simple yet fun and satisfying. The lore and its main story has come to be one of the creepiest darkest one I've seen. A city gung ho on the fascination and worship of a God and its Miracle.. Add to that beautiful gritty pixel art visuals, challenging level design, fantastic boss fights, tight responsive controls. It has the whole package. InAbslutely loved this game. The combat is really simple yet fun and satisfying. The lore and its main story has come to be one of the creepiest darkest one I've seen. A city gung ho on the fascination and worship of a God and its Miracle.. Add to that beautiful gritty pixel art visuals, challenging level design, fantastic boss fights, tight responsive controls. It has the whole package. In short Blasphemous is truly a one of a kind gem one has to play, especially for those who love an unsettling atmosphere similar to those of "from software" games. Expand
  14. Sep 20, 2019
    Buen nivel auditivo y visual con un estilo de arte muy particular. Lastima que el control a veces no responde del todo bien y que tiene algunos bugs que te pueden impedir continuar con el juego. Faltó más optimización.
  15. Sep 3, 2020
    I played at the time of the release on PS4 and there were some things that needed "more time in the oven" but since then the game has got many bugfixes, patches and just recently a whole free dlc. I however, didn't get to experience any of that and my playthrough was as vanilla as you can get.

With that in mind, let me tell you that I loved the game. The grim, cruel and brutal religious aesthetic was right up my alley, the presentation was great, the voice acting added so much to the storytelling and atmosphere and music was super good and atmospheric. Gameplay was really hard but I didn't think it was unfair. The Penitent One gets many cool upgrades over the course of the game that flesh out your strategies and approaches. The game also has a system of equippable upgrades that let you make your own build suited for different type of approaches. The customization it allows isn't big, but it does make a significant enough difference and you'd always want to make sure you have the right gear equipped. I think this game's biggest strength is the aesthetic, world, backstory and lore, but gameplay is also really good.

If you're up for something confusing, but deep and rich in detail then Blasphemous is definitely for you as long as you're good enough for its challenges. If you're looking for something gameplay focused with a lot of depth and polish in that aspect, this game might not be for you. It's gameplay was very good for me, but its a game that you buy for the lore, music and aesthetic first, gameplay second.
  16. Sep 10, 2019
    Blasphemous is an absolutely gorgeous game, the art style, characters, world design, and gameplay is amazing. Can definitely see this become one of my all-time favourite game! Beautiful!
  17. Oct 5, 2019
    8 for the base game, 0 for the Sleeping Canvases spikes and awful final boss fight, which is based just on pure luck.
  18. Nov 13, 2020
    Lots of fun! I'm typically not a fun of Metroidvania or Souls-style games, but I found myself really enjoying this game. The art is gorgeous, the combat is fun; overall, a very enjoyable time.
  19. Nov 10, 2020
    Simplemente no hagas ni caso a los que dicen que el juego es injusto o extremadamente dificil, para nada, el jefe que más me costo vencer me llevó 4 o 5 intentos.
    Los gráficos, la ambientación, el lore... Es simplemente bueno.
    En cuanto a jugabilidad, mecánicas y control da la talla de sobras, sobretodo con recientes actualizaciones. En serio, hazme caso, todas esas reviews negativas que
    Los gráficos, la ambientación, el lore... Es simplemente bueno.
    En serio, hazme caso, todas esas reviews negativas que estás leyendo están escritas por alguien que acaba de rage-quitear el juego por su ineptitud y vienen a pagarlo con el juego poniendo mala nota y sacando toda su bilis.
    La mejor que he leído es uno que dice que el jefe final del juego se basa en pura suerte, lo más ridículo que he leído en mucho tiempo, es decir, si eres realmente malo jugando igual te lo acabas pasando de pura potra, pero lo que vas a necesitar es habilidad.
  20. Sep 13, 2019
    Blasphemous has an excellent atmosphere and art style.
    The voice acting (English) doesn’t go with the rest of the game in my opinion and is poor overall.

Fun and annoying to play, well done!
  21. Sep 20, 2019
    Such a brutal and challenging game and I love it! Being one of the Kickstarter backers, I had faith in this game from the start. I had fun starting out, but now I'm stuck. I'm sure I'll get over the hurdle, it's forgiving enough so that I can actually get further. I highly recommend this game.
  22. Jan 10, 2020
    I absolutely enjoyed Blasphemous. Felt like it tied alot of great elements of different genres into it's own tight bundle. The platforming had its frustrating moment but it felt rewarding to overcome and I liked that there was usually a good item at the end. I loved the bosses but kinda wish there was a few more although there is a decent roster. I felt like I was zipping through the gameI absolutely enjoyed Blasphemous. Felt like it tied alot of great elements of different genres into it's own tight bundle. The platforming had its frustrating moment but it felt rewarding to overcome and I liked that there was usually a good item at the end. I loved the bosses but kinda wish there was a few more although there is a decent roster. I felt like I was zipping through the game at first but then it seemed like it really made me fight for every bit of progress around the 30% mark which made the game last much longer than I originally expected. I was happy for that. Hope to see more! I really love this game and just played through a 2nd time. I really hope they make another. The perfect 2d game for me. Expand
  23. Jun 14, 2020
    The art style and character designs of this game are intriguing enough for me, but when paired with fun combat (for the most part) and solid level design, it culminates in a fun and bloody Metroidvania that I am sure to recommend to anyone looking for a game in the genre.
  24. Jun 19, 2020
    First of all, let me say this - I enjoyed Blasphemous a lot. From beginning to the end, Blasphemous is a solid game. If you are a die hard Metroidvania fan, then this game should on your list of potential buys.
    It's pixel art is INCREDIBLY good. You can sense that every inch of Blasphemous's world was painfully crafted. While it is not as hard as the Souls series, it is still challenging in many aspects. The combat is nothing to drool over. You have got your standard Sekiro Parry button (L1), Dodge(R2) and Jump(X). Standard stuff. The atmosphere of the game rivals and sometimes even matches the atmosphere of BLOODBORNE(my favourite game of all time). There are 10 bosses in the whole game. Out of the 10, 3 are mediocre/buggy/too RNG based. The rest are pretty good. However, do indeed expect some glitches and bugs while playing this game. None of them are game-breaking but are annoying. Expect janky controls and hitboxes too. Most of the upgrades are useless. The healing becomes useless by the time you reach your 5th boss. Even with all of this, Blasphemous is still a good and enjoyable experience. 7.5/10
  25. Aug 25, 2020
    A true indie masterpiece.
    The gameplay mixes the best in Castlevania SOTN titles and the Dark Souls series.
    Through very neat graphics and a quality track, a story of European-inspired religious subversion is told. It is not just about exploration, but also the construction of the themes through several parallel stories directly influenced by the player's actions. I wanted more games to be
    A true indie masterpiece.
    I wanted more games to be able to innovate based on the pillars of those that inspired it.
  26. Aug 19, 2020
    Un auténtico juegazo:

1. La dirección de arte del juego es impresionante, y aún hay revistas "especializadas" que le dan un 6/10 en gráficos. Lamentable. Tiene una personalidad enorme y un lore muy cuidado y poco convencional. Gran ambientación. 2. El juego es difícil, teniendo picos que realmente pueden desesperar. Sin embargo esto no lo veo un problema mayor. Otros Metroidvanias son
    Un auténtico juegazo:

2. El juego es difícil, teniendo picos que realmente pueden desesperar. Sin embargo esto no lo veo un problema mayor. Otros Metroidvanias son muy difíciles también, pero es una característica propia del género. Hay que tener habilidad y nervios de acero.
    3. Para el precio que tiene, me da la sensación de estar robando. El juego tiene un contenido y duración más que decentes, aunque el platino no sea tarea nada fácil.
  27. Nov 21, 2020
    What you get by mixing the Symphony of the night gameplay and Dark Souls inspiration ? Blasphemous of cource. The pixel art at his finest. Good music. Good Control. Some people found it a hard game and give unfair negative rating (they must start playing difficult games.Not only the easy one's). We've been seeing a pixel game like this for years. I am a fan of pixel games since i grew upWhat you get by mixing the Symphony of the night gameplay and Dark Souls inspiration ? Blasphemous of cource. The pixel art at his finest. Good music. Good Control. Some people found it a hard game and give unfair negative rating (they must start playing difficult games.Not only the easy one's). We've been seeing a pixel game like this for years. I am a fan of pixel games since i grew up with sega and nintendo and i recommend it. Before you play this game you should see some video's but If you like those type of games like castlevania or bloodstained then this game is for you. Expand
  28. Nov 20, 2020
    As someone without that much interest in these tough-as-nails games, I’ll admit that the game frustrated me a couple of times but, overall, even I enjoyed Blasphemous deeply thanks to its tight mechanics and enticing world-building.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 16 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 30, 2019
    If you're into challenging action platformer games, Blasphemous is as good as the next. It isn't perfect or revolutionary, but it doesn't have to be. Its lore and visual direction are disturbingly beautiful and craft an interesting and distinct world. Great boss fights and an enjoyable and challenging combat system ensures that fans of the genre will have enough to sink their teeth into and enjoy.
  2. CD-Action
    Oct 25, 2019
    The Game Kitchen’s latest work is ideal not only for fans of metroidvania genre. For me its accessibility and sheer fun of gameplay compares to a “souls” version of last year’s Spider-Man, which is the best recommendation I can give. [12/2019, p.55]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Oct 22, 2019
    There are minor irritations – some bosses have annoying stun-locks, enemies sometimes don’t load in properly, and platforming can be iffy at times. But trying again comes with minimal punishment. Like the twisted religion testing The Penitent One’s faith, the game’s willing to forgive – if you’re willing to try again. [Issue#168, p.78]