8.5

1. Jun 26, 2019
    Bloodstained: RotN tries very hard to be Castlevania SotN, but falls short in many ways. The music is not quite the memorable experience, the graphics need some work (especially anything that is supposed to be liquid or reflective as it just makes everything look like plastic), there is some pretty significant slowdown in some situations (using the oracle blade which shoots out combinedBloodstained: RotN tries very hard to be Castlevania SotN, but falls short in many ways. The music is not quite the memorable experience, the graphics need some work (especially anything that is supposed to be liquid or reflective as it just makes everything look like plastic), there is some pretty significant slowdown in some situations (using the oracle blade which shoots out combined with the shard that creates shadow duplicates against any boss with projectiles for instance), and an insane amount of recoloring of enemies despite having far more room than SotN did to work with.

This being said, if you liked SotN, you will find some sort of enjoyment with this game. For the price-point of $40 it's not a bad deal.
  2. Jun 27, 2019
    This game really hurt me, they canceled the vita version, when I played the demo i thought it just needed some polish, but after playing it for 3 or 4 hours i just see wasted potential, the right ideas are there, you even feel you are playing a castlevania game, but the execution of almost everything feels really incomplete, the graphics (it really shows they don't have much 3dThis game really hurt me, they canceled the vita version, when I played the demo i thought it just needed some polish, but after playing it for 3 or 4 hours i just see wasted potential, the right ideas are there, you even feel you are playing a castlevania game, but the execution of almost everything feels really incomplete, the graphics (it really shows they don't have much 3d experience), the music, the animations, the menus, the loading times, the bugs (i got stuck like 3 times on the starting loading screen), i think the fact that they forced it to be 3d was the doom of this game Expand
  3. Jun 25, 2019
    It took me about 10 minutes to determine that this was a vastly inferior successor to Castlevania than Hollow Knight. This feeling permeated every aspect of this game, as it regurgitated the Igavania games that came before with flaws intact and no meaningful change. ROTN tries its hardest to recreate SOTN's feel and structure, while its combat is a bloated emulation of Dawn of Sorrow's,It took me about 10 minutes to determine that this was a vastly inferior successor to Castlevania than Hollow Knight. This feeling permeated every aspect of this game, as it regurgitated the Igavania games that came before with flaws intact and no meaningful change. ROTN tries its hardest to recreate SOTN's feel and structure, while its combat is a bloated emulation of Dawn of Sorrow's, and its overly linear level design more closely resembles Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia, the weakest Igavanias in terms of level design. The only new thing this game does offer is 3D graphics and judging by the 5 year development span and buggy final product, it's safe to say that even that was a mistake.

The key culprit here is the level design, it's just not very good. The first third of the game is a straight line to the double jump, and the entire thing feels like they built the levels separately and stapled them together, then elongated the entire thing. In my eyes, the "biggest castle yet" stretch goal has had a seriously negative impact. This level design is closer to Order of Ecclesia, Chasm, or Timespinner than SOTN. As the game progresses, it rarely loops back on itself in meaningful ways, it's so large that warping is always better than organically backtracking, and it has a few progress-halting Metroid-moments that will drive most to a guide. The library-card and holy-glasses moments from SOTN have always struck me as the weaker moments of MetroidVania level design in SOTN yet they're both recreated here and in an even more obtuse fashion. Props if you have the patience to get through this without a guide.

As with the level design, the combat feels bloated. The soul system gives you so many worthless options across FIVE magic types (Aria/Dawn had 3) that it's paralyzing and I ultimately stopped using it. I legitimately struggled to find magic attacks that were more useful than my sword. Then, there's farming, cooking, soul enhancement, book rentals... It's overwhelming even as someone that's played all the Igavania games. The difficulty teeters between being laughably easy and demanding strict pattern memorization. Just like Ecclesia, a few of these bosses will kill you in 3 or 4 hits, rendering all the RPG complexity I just enumerated pointless. With a few of these bosses, you simply have to either memorize all their attacks or cheese them with healing items, neither of which is particularly enjoyable.

Then, around hour 6, I got the 1.2 update and it makes a necessary key item unobtainable... I was able to continue by downgrading and playing offline but this is unacceptable. 5 years for this bug-ridden mess? At this point, I said "I regret kickstarting this game." I eventually cooled down as I finished the game but this game never dazzled me like SOTN or Aria of Sorrow. Even once they fix the bugs, this game will still live in the shadow of its 22 year old predecessor, and even that has since been bested. I'm really done with these underwhelming kickstarter spiritual sequels. Quit paying people to pander to your nostalgia and go buy something like Hollow Knight that actually pushes the genre forward.
  4. Jul 5, 2019
    Bloodvania is Fine. There I said it. It doesn't do anything particularly new, or interesting, but its far from bad. So, its fine. The gameplay is right where it should be, the shard system is the same as the souls system from older Castlevania games. The crafting system is mostly useless but a fun distraction. I don't particularly care for the art style - 2.5D has never really worked in myBloodvania is Fine. There I said it. It doesn't do anything particularly new, or interesting, but its far from bad. So, its fine. The gameplay is right where it should be, the shard system is the same as the souls system from older Castlevania games. The crafting system is mostly useless but a fun distraction. I don't particularly care for the art style - 2.5D has never really worked in my opinion, go 2D or go 3D, none of this half measure stuff. You can see a lot of work went into the game, and... its fine. Expand
  5. Jul 28, 2019
    I was looking forward to this game, but unfortunately after completing it 100% with the real ending, my conclusions are that I didn't have much fun with it overall. It is too easy, level design is boring, and instead of all areas of the castle having exclusive enemies, most are just reskins. The boss fights are an absolute joke, and most can be beat using the same strategy, apart from theI was looking forward to this game, but unfortunately after completing it 100% with the real ending, my conclusions are that I didn't have much fun with it overall. It is too easy, level design is boring, and instead of all areas of the castle having exclusive enemies, most are just reskins. The boss fights are an absolute joke, and most can be beat using the same strategy, apart from the two secret bosses which were the only ones who posed a challenge. There are way too many shards to collect in the game, and although quantity may not seem a bad thing, I found myself sticking to one or two throughout because the rest just didn't seem any better or worse even. The graphics aren't bad I suppose, but some of the animations and poses that the characters do, especially the main character stand out as a bit strange and unnatural. The voice acting is fine, with voice actors such as David Hayter lending their voice to Zamatsu, but other NPC's are quite repetitive. The music is mostly forgettable.
    Unfortunately I found some parts of the game frustrating, having to resort to a guide, but then upon completing said frustrating part, the NPC who is supposed to give me information on the very subject decided to give it to me way after. Little inconsistencies like this are rampant, as is the polish of the game. Loading times can be lengthy and stutters are common, especially when collecting new shards. A certain boss fight brought the whole game down to a crawl, the likes I hadn't seen since the old 8-bit and 16-bit days.
    All in all I don't hate the game, but I can't say I'd rush to play it again either. I wish I'd have waited to get it on sale. This is coming from a Castlevania fan since the NES days, SCVIV, Rondo of Blood and SOTN being my favourites. If you haven't played the previous bloodstained, curse of the moon, I recommend that over this.
  6. Oct 5, 2019
    This game will scratch your "metroidvania" itch in a good way, however be warned that it's not completely polished and some of the flaws may result in deep frustration. But if you stick with the game through a "twist" about 40% into the experience and general bad pacing early on, it really gets great. Luckily this game is more modern and complex than Symphony of the Night, so you canThis game will scratch your "metroidvania" itch in a good way, however be warned that it's not completely polished and some of the flaws may result in deep frustration. But if you stick with the game through a "twist" about 40% into the experience and general bad pacing early on, it really gets great. Luckily this game is more modern and complex than Symphony of the Night, so you can expect more than a simple homage to the older games. Unfortunately the story, while not bad, does just enough to pass muster and probably won't be exciting anyone. Priced at $40 on release, I think it's worth the time but some initial frustration may turn players off before the good stuff. Expand
  7. Sep 3, 2019
    I was completely addicted to this game start through finish, but looking back, it’s flaws are more memorable than the great gameplay. This is of course from the same director as Castlevania Symphony of the Night on PS1, and improves on that great game in many ways. Where it really lacks is the art direction, character design, and the music (which something SOTN was known for). All ofI was completely addicted to this game start through finish, but looking back, it’s flaws are more memorable than the great gameplay. This is of course from the same director as Castlevania Symphony of the Night on PS1, and improves on that great game in many ways. Where it really lacks is the art direction, character design, and the music (which something SOTN was known for). All of that feels very generic in Bloodstained. Where this game shines is the gameplay, the precise control/combat that is simply a joy, and the classic level design that defines a “metroidvania”. After beating this game I went back to play SOTN, to check my memory, and the minor details like the geometric patterns on the wall, the trails Alucard”s movement leaves behind, the way the skeletons shake all just ooze style that Bloodstained just lacks. SOTN had jaw-dropping bosses I remembered for decades, like the giant sphere of reanimated corpses white bodies wriggling off crawling as you attacked, where as Bloodstained has lame bosses like a dudes face on a snake grunting cringe-worthy expressions. Overall - the mechanics are great, but the art elements lack style. I’ll still play the sequel! Expand
  8. Sep 13, 2019
    meh, overrated; the gameplay has very clunky animations for the physics of the player, the maps are chaotic and generally not rewarding to explore and very repetitive.
  9. Sep 21, 2019
    It's not Symphony of the Night 2; more like an unofficial mod that shuffles the game around. It's got a crap story, average graphics, terrible characters, and a whole lot of generic caverns retouched with themes. There's a ton of jank too - the running animation is completely off, making the protagonist look like she's running in place, constant loading screens, terrible animations, andIt's not Symphony of the Night 2; more like an unofficial mod that shuffles the game around. It's got a crap story, average graphics, terrible characters, and a whole lot of generic caverns retouched with themes. There's a ton of jank too - the running animation is completely off, making the protagonist look like she's running in place, constant loading screens, terrible animations, and plenty of enemies that move (and shoot) through walls. The art style is also quite generic, and it definitely fails to visually impress through and through.

What it is a fairly rudimentary Castlevania clone. If you like those, you'll be fine. If you aren't familiar with those, play Symphony of the Night instead. Bloodstained is an okay game, but it's not the glorious return to a classic formula I had hoped it would be.
  10. Oct 5, 2019
    Bloodstained is a decent game, and not without flaws. The initial 10 hours were a lot of fun, but after that I started to notice levels were getting smaller. They also felt rushed because of their design and the different colored enemies types didn't help. The levels looked very generic and lacked any kind of connection. We got our fire stage, water stage, cathedral, even a train stage andBloodstained is a decent game, and not without flaws. The initial 10 hours were a lot of fun, but after that I started to notice levels were getting smaller. They also felt rushed because of their design and the different colored enemies types didn't help. The levels looked very generic and lacked any kind of connection. We got our fire stage, water stage, cathedral, even a train stage and Japanese-like stage.

I liked the crafting system but many of the weapons are kinda useless and that's okay. I liked that eating food permanently boosted stats. Very cool, and made it worth finding materials for cooking.

The story was pretty generic, but so was Castlevania Sotn's story. It's the gameplay and that is fun. I only played on the normal difficulty and that was all. The normal game campaign did offer some challenge. I did have to grind to beat some bosses toward the end, but generally it wasn't too bad. It's a lot of fun to mow down enemies once you are stronger and trying to collect everything for 100%

The music was most disappointing. I mean, it's good for the game, but nothing I would listen to on my music player. I'm still listening to tracks from Castlevania Sotn.

There were a number of bugs I encountered as well. Mostly dealing with the sound. For example, I would be playing and a sound effect would occur. Only the sound effect wouldn't end, but instead it would just keep repeating until I restarted the game. I did encounter one error where the game completely crashed. I was grinding for materials, and luckily the error was after I had made a save. Sometimes the game would freeze for a second, and that bothered me.

Overall, I'd say it's worth a buy. Bloodstained isn't a perfect game, but they tried. I'd love to see what they have in store next. Hopefully something with even more polish.

1. Aug 19, 2019
    An awesome spiritual successor to old Castlevanias. The story is the weakest point, true, but everything else is splendid, especially the level design and the sheer amount of creative ideas. If you want a great action RPG platformer, you’ve got one right here.
  2. Aug 8, 2019
    Bloodstained has a lot going for it. Satisfying gameplay, many secrets to find, and a huge castle to explore. There is a lot to discover in how you play, especially as you find more secrets and items. The shard system is an interesting way to customize your gameplay style. It is very much more of what you love from Symphony of the Night and other Castlevania games of that era. But Bloodstained doesn’t do anything new with the genre. It borrows many concepts to create a game with more of what people loved about the other games. In short, if you’re a fan then give this one a go. Minus a few iffy aspects, Bloodstained is fun experience. Whether it falls into the realm of one of the greats is unlikely but I enjoyed my time anyway.
  3. Aug 2, 2019
    The king of Metroidvanias is finally here with a new title. A few bugs and weird animations will not prevent it from sitting on the throne.