7.2

1. Apr 30, 2015
    For those of you wondering if Tim Schaffer was able to return to his point-and-click roots with any success, rest assured Broken Age does not disappoint. From the moment you begin the game you will be torn between two well-written characters and their abnormal stories. While the art style and dialogue ring with a somewhat child-like undertone, the subject matter in the story has some veryFor those of you wondering if Tim Schaffer was able to return to his point-and-click roots with any success, rest assured Broken Age does not disappoint. From the moment you begin the game you will be torn between two well-written characters and their abnormal stories. While the art style and dialogue ring with a somewhat child-like undertone, the subject matter in the story has some very dark roots.

Gameplay is simple, standard point and click mechanics with some moderately difficult (at best) puzzles sprinkled throughout. The challenge comes more from deciphering what exactly is happening in each characters world/time and how they are interconnected. You'll make plenty of guesses before the truth is revealed, and every second is masterfully narrated with plenty of dialogue options and supporting characters to discover.

The sound is haunting and appropriate, with light mood music being played during tense situations, jarring your perception of what's happening. From a family that is overjoyed to sacrifice their oldest daughter to a giant squid monster, to a boy who lives with a computer generated mother and father aboard a rogue space-ship, these are just the set-ups to an incredible tale of freedom and consequence.

Do not miss out on this if you grew up with cult classics like Day of the Tentacle or SoMI, you will not be disappointed. Tim Schaffer continues to advance the independent gaming scene with yet another artistically sound entry. 9/10.
  2. Nov 6, 2015
    If you don't like story-driven "walking simulators" such as Heavy Rain or Until Dawn, then this game isn't for you. I am very open minded when it comes to movie experiences in games, and I think Broken Age is a fine competitor, even though made on noticeably lower budget. It has interesting characters, an abstract fairy tale story with various interesting themes, and compelling puzzles. IfIf you don't like story-driven "walking simulators" such as Heavy Rain or Until Dawn, then this game isn't for you. I am very open minded when it comes to movie experiences in games, and I think Broken Age is a fine competitor, even though made on noticeably lower budget. It has interesting characters, an abstract fairy tale story with various interesting themes, and compelling puzzles. If you missed out on downloading this game for PS+, I still suggest trying it. Expand
  3. Jan 8, 2016
    Really good game in my opinion, but you have to like this kind of games. This is about enjoying the characters and their story, thinking creatively to progress and solving puzzles. If you're the kind of person that only enjoys fast paced, very direct and dynamic games with a lot of action and reflexes involved you won't like this. If you've ever played monkey island, maniac mansion/day ofReally good game in my opinion, but you have to like this kind of games. This is about enjoying the characters and their story, thinking creatively to progress and solving puzzles. If you're the kind of person that only enjoys fast paced, very direct and dynamic games with a lot of action and reflexes involved you won't like this. If you've ever played monkey island, maniac mansion/day of the tentacle, grim fandango, etc. and liked it, you should definitely give this one a try. If not I would think twice before buying this.

Voice acting, music etc is really good, point and clicking game fans will like this one.
  4. Apr 29, 2015
    Double Fine get me into the trip from 80's when atmosphere and gameplay were the most important. So nostalgic mode in progress. But guess what graphics and sound are from 2015 :)
  5. May 2, 2015
    This is NOT a bad game, in fact it's one of the best graphic adventures I've played recently. The problem here is that it is not the groundbreaking masterpiece fans of Grim Fandango and other old glories were waiting for.
    It is funny, witty, entertaining and hard enough for newcomers to the genre (a little bit too much on the easy side for veterans, especially the first half). Puzzles are fun and well done (especially near the end of the game). The score and the art are amazing, the game is trurly a joy to look at and listen to. Voice acting is excellent and the game features people like Jack Black, Will Wheaton and Elijah Wood.
    However, there are flaws. Some characters are a little "glossed over". They come and go very quickly in Act 1 and when they return in Act 2, you basically won't talk to them after the first dialogue. The character played by Jack Black is the best example: funny, interesting and full of potential "wasted" in 2 dialogues and 1 puzzle. Despite the development time, the game offers a little selection of settings (screens) compared to the average old G.A. (what you see in Act 1 is basically what you'll get in Act 2 along with a handful of new locations). Also, the ending feels rushed and generic. I was truly disappointed by it because it sort of gives closure to everything in the lazyest way possible (you'll see) and abrupts the game in a point where I was excited to see what was coming next (again, you'll see).
    I won't mention backtracking as a flaw because it is inevitable in some sort of way in a G.A. I think it is only more evident here because of the restricted number of screens.
    For the record: I am not a backer, but I've watched the Making of documentary on Youtube. I know what Double Fine has been through while making this game, but that is not an excuse for its shortcomings.

I give Broken Age an 8/10 that would have been a 7.5/10 if it weren't for the art and the music.

PROS
    + Art style
    + Voice acting
    + Orchestral score
    + Puzzles are hard enough for newcomers to the genre
    + Classic Tim Schafer dialogues

CONS
    - Puzzles are fairly easy for veterans of the genre
    - Some NPCs could have been used more
    - Very few screens
    - The ending feels generic and rushed
  6. Nov 9, 2015
    The world designs are beautiful looking and overall it was rewarding to solve the puzzles in this game and get through it. Some say the puzzles were east, but I am not a point and click expert, so i found then challenging enough.

Act 1 was done well enough and had a decent enough story and it kept me asking questions like any good story went. The end to act 1 was a good shocker. Act

Act 2 of the game is where I had issues. In act 2 you revist the same locations, which all basically have the same characters. It just became a little bit tedious. They could have done so much better. I understand in the 80s they would re-use scenes to save on time and budget but in this day and age it should be feasible. Also, in act 2 its the first time where to solve puzzles you have to jump between characters for some clues. It never indicates that you should do this, nor was it part of the game in act 1. This lead to extended time of bashing my head against a controller until i though to check. Very frustrating. The ending was somewhat underwhelming.

Verdict: Its an OK enough game to play, but you wont miss anything new or interesting if you decide to pass.
  7. Oct 29, 2015
    This is my first dip into Double Fine Productions and what a gem Broken Age is. Knowing nothing about it I downloaded it purely on the basis that it was a free monthly PSN game, but having seen it through to its conclusion I would gladly have paid $40 or whatever the RRP usually is.

Aside from the generous price tag I was drawn by the stunning graphics and the promise of humour. With character performances from Elijah Wood and Jack Black amongst others I was not disappointed. However, I had the most fun with the Dialog Tree performed by Jamieson Price; often I found myself laughing out loud to my interactions with this NPC.

The concept of playing two separate storylines simultaneously and the ability to switch between the two whenever you get stuck is an excellent feature. The puzzles throughout are very well designed and always satisfying to complete; at no point do they seem far fetched or illogical. The storyline is utterly charming and kept me engrossed throughout - very early on do you realise that the plot is somewhat sinister and not the fluffy story that the initial narrative suggests.

My only gripe would be that I felt like I finished the game too soon, yet this is testament to the beautiful, engaging world that Double Fine have created. I cannot recommend Broken Age highly enough to anyone that enjoys a good head scratching and I sincerely look forward to the devs next offering.
  8. Nov 17, 2015
    I really enjoyed playing this game. It has an amazing world and a great story. It has pretty nice visuals and voice acting. I find this game entertaining and fun. The puzzles are not too easy and not too hard, but it can become a little frustrating at some points. The only thing I really disliked was the ending, which was pretty blunt and did not offer much closure.
  9. Oct 7, 2016
    Broken Age had the ambition to resurrect the classic adventure genre, based on point and click in opposition with the more cinematic experiences from studios like Telltale that represents the new generation of adventure game. All from the mind of Tim Schafer, one of the most famous developer and director of some classic point and click games like Grim Fandango or Day of The Tentacle (bothBroken Age had the ambition to resurrect the classic adventure genre, based on point and click in opposition with the more cinematic experiences from studios like Telltale that represents the new generation of adventure game. All from the mind of Tim Schafer, one of the most famous developer and director of some classic point and click games like Grim Fandango or Day of The Tentacle (both have been recently remaster, sign of the demand for those experiences). Will Broken Age be a new classic ?

Technically the game has an unique and beautiful art direction that really catch the eye and make the game very pleasant to watch, but on the other side you can't interact with it (except the actions written in the script of course), it's like you're moving in a painting, not everyone will like it but it's visually pleasant. I didn't encountered bugs on my playthrough so technically for a crowd-funding game it's very good.

The gameplay is, like I already said, pure point and click, there's absolutely no skills needed, what the games ask from you it's wits as you'll progress by solving puzzles thanks to items you can collect looking around. Those puzzles are well written with logical but not obvious solutions and you'll not spend your time clicking on everything hoping to have luck on your side.

Concerning the story and universe, which is as important as the puzzles in an adventure game game, in my opinion. The first act is very good with an awesome twist at the end, the second act however is not as wondrous, it (mainly) rehashes the same locations and characters with new puzzles. The plot move forward nicely make no mistakes it's still a well written game, I'd just wish the second act expanded the universe. The game will last around 6 hours, a very good value for its price

So in conclusion Broken Age succeed in making a good, visually modern, but in its core retro adventure game, it may not be remembered for the ages but it is totally advisable for anyone looking for puzzles while following a nice story.
  10. Jul 24, 2015
    Visually the game has a distinct, hand-drawn art style, with a vibrant colour palette that creates a lively world. It is unfortunate though that the settings in this world, while diverse and well-realised, aren’t particularly numerous. You will find yourself wandering the same paths for long stretches of time and they can start to feel a little claustrophobic after a while. Happily though,Visually the game has a distinct, hand-drawn art style, with a vibrant colour palette that creates a lively world. It is unfortunate though that the settings in this world, while diverse and well-realised, aren’t particularly numerous. You will find yourself wandering the same paths for long stretches of time and they can start to feel a little claustrophobic after a while. Happily though, there’s a great, quirky, orchestral soundtrack that accompanies the game, which performs the almost impossible feat of not getting on your nerves even after you’ve listened to it for hours (previously I thought only Nobuo Uematsu of Final Fantasy fame was capable of this).

Broken Age is a by-the-numbers point and click experience with an original coming-of-age tale to tell. Helped by truly memorable characters and some excellent writing, the game has a consistently wry, wittily sarcastic tone that is a pleasure to experience, and continually surprised me with its insightfulness. Double Fine should be commended for bringing a crowdfunded project of such quality to fruition, and for delivering a polished product that exudes intelligence, character and style.

www.doyouevengamebro.net
  11. Feb 26, 2016
    This is a very interesting puzzle game. I'm half way through it (mostly the heroine part) and find the plot engaging. Most puzzles are not only collecting items but require the player to interact with different characters to reveal the trick. Makes me feel that the developer really put a lot of thought into it. Nicely done.
  12. Dec 9, 2015
    A great example of a fun point-and-click game! Double Fine has done it again! Broken Age has great voice acting and Elijah Wood nails his performance! The story is interesting and keeps you wondering and thirsting for more. The two separate stories happening in unison is also a very cool gameplay mechanic and goes back and forth quite fluidly. Gorgeous art-style. The game definitelyA great example of a fun point-and-click game! Double Fine has done it again! Broken Age has great voice acting and Elijah Wood nails his performance! The story is interesting and keeps you wondering and thirsting for more. The two separate stories happening in unison is also a very cool gameplay mechanic and goes back and forth quite fluidly. Gorgeous art-style. The game definitely doesn't direct you through it however. The "puzzles" and item finding is challenging, and I found myself getting stuck quite a bit. Loved it and glad I played it. Definitely recommended!

8.0/10
  13. Oct 22, 2016
    Broken Age is a point-and-click adventure video game developed and published by Double Fine Productions.

+ Good Characters
    + Story
    +- Smart Puzzles but Sometimes Frustrating

Generally favorable reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Play UK
    Jun 1, 2015
    Beneath the lavish art style and the high quality production..., Broken Age ends up feeling rather empty and desolate. [Issue#257, p.72]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    May 26, 2015
    It's not the second coming of adventure games, but Broken Age is still a memorable jaunt. [July 2015, p82]
  3. May 11, 2015
    Even with its flaws and a gameplay that could have been better, Broken Age shines thanks to its visuals and a superb dubbing, stating once again the love Tim Schafer and Double Fine implement in their games.