5.1

1. Dec 6, 2020
    A pretty straight forward Dark Souls-Lite experience with some Zelda thrown in for good measure. It’s budget ultimately holds it back but it’s also not a full priced game. For $30 I got a solid 8 hours out of it and I’m pretty happy with the time spent. It’s simplistic art style is a hold over from its VR roots but it gets the job done. Being a big fan of Remnant I had hoped this gameA pretty straight forward Dark Souls-Lite experience with some Zelda thrown in for good measure. It’s budget ultimately holds it back but it’s also not a full priced game. For $30 I got a solid 8 hours out of it and I’m pretty happy with the time spent. It’s simplistic art style is a hold over from its VR roots but it gets the job done. Being a big fan of Remnant I had hoped this game would shed some more light on just what the heck is going on in that universe but it really doesn’t. Don’t come here for a story. At the end of the day I got pretty much what I thought I would. As long as you’re not expecting Remnant 2 or an experience that matches the high bar of Dark Souls you should have a good time. Expand
  2. Dec 2, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awful game with awful concepts. Imagine a **** version of dark souls with slow motion. Game runs like **** and loading screens have a tendency to go on forever. The map design is pretty bad, a lot of reused assets that make every area bland. The enemy design is pretty **** with a lot of enemies just dying to R2 spam and oh yea, if you’re playing the game for the “bosses”, don’t expect anything good. Like the final **** boss is the dragon reused asset from remnant from the ashes. Bosses are not that creative, they’re pretty boring and piss easy to fight. Design choices such as having to interact with a chest from your inventory just to open it is pretty dumb and a waste of time. If you think that the aging mechanic is “unique” or that it makes the game more interesting, let me tell you that it just makes the game less fun, all this “magic gets stronger as you grow older” is bull****, the magic in this game is just particle effects on your weapon with no use, unless your activate your “dragon stone ability”, your stamina regen when your old takes forever, which adds to the unnecessary frustration to the game. And oh yea let’s not forget about the **** healing mechanic that takes forever to heal yourself while standing in place making you vulnerable to enemy attacks
    Basically just save your 30 bucks and buy something that is actually nice instead of wasting it on this ****
  3. Dec 5, 2020
    Some really cool ideas and some fun concepts ultimately ruined by clunky combat and sloppy level design. I made it about 3/4 of the way through the game before giving up when having to solve an obnoxious slider puzzle which is THE laziest form of game design.
    The combat is stiff and enemies can stun lock you and there's an extremely inconsistent difficulty. The map layout is unintuitive and confusing and instead of being a cleverly interwoven map like most Souls games, it's more of a dull maze.
    There WAS effort put into this game and I hope the devs have better success down the road, maybe refining some of this games ideas, but Chronos itself is just plain bad, sadly
  4. Dec 17, 2020
    Very much Dark Souls. The only thing I dislike about this game is the fact that I can't change armor. Other then that, amazing game. A+

Mixed or average reviews - based on 22 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 8, 2021
    This is a simple souls-like game and great for people wanting to get into the genre. With difficulty settings, plenty of interesting new mechanics and a fun world, it's definitely a good game to try.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Jan 8, 2021
    If you liked the look of Dark Souls but bounced off the difficulty, Chronos offers a solid (if cheaper), more user-friendly, yet still demanding alternative. [Issue#184, p.90]
  3. Jan 4, 2021
    Chronos: Before the Ashes is a tough game to recommend to Remnant fans due to its comparatively flawed combat system and less amount of content overall. Nevertheless, I still believe that while the game does not live up to its full potential, it still has just enough charm to be worth at least a try for hardcore fans of the action-RPG genre.