7.9

1. Sep 27, 2019
    I am having a blast with the game great character customization options liked the story and I’m really having fun building different classes
  2. Nov 9, 2019
    Code Vein is one of the most surprising games of 2019, who knew Anime Souls could be so fun

Pros Boss Fights are Fun but tough The memories are enjoyable if you want to find out someone's backstory The Blood Codes are interesting and have a wide variety The Combat is fun Story is good Cons Some areas are way too confusing Some dialogue is cringe Potato AI (if you use them)

Pros
    Boss Fights are Fun but tough
    The memories are enjoyable if you want to find out someone's backstory
    The Blood Codes are interesting and have a wide variety
    The Combat is fun
    Story is good

Cons
    Some areas are way too confusing
    Some dialogue is cringe
    Potato AI (if you use them)

If you are a hardcore Souls/souls-like fan I definitely recommend you check this game out as it is fun but tough at times.
  3. Dec 8, 2019
    dispite a few small issues great overall cannot wait for dlc good story, decent combat, just a lot of fun
  4. Nov 10, 2019
    It should be noted that Bandai Namco is unabashed about using the Dark Souls formula that they published for From over the years. So much so that one optional boss fight literally uses a Souls sound effect and boss structure. However to say that Code Vein is only a Soul's clone is to sell the game very short. Bandai has made the game a wonderful mix of coop Souls and allows forIt should be noted that Bandai Namco is unabashed about using the Dark Souls formula that they published for From over the years. So much so that one optional boss fight literally uses a Souls sound effect and boss structure. However to say that Code Vein is only a Soul's clone is to sell the game very short. Bandai has made the game a wonderful mix of coop Souls and allows for masochistic solo play. It is very important to note that most of the game is tuned for coop play - either AI or human, and to go solo significantly ups difficulty. I personally found that the AI coop made it more accessible while player coop made it to easy. The story is serviceable and fun but not as deep as a Souls game. It is a shame that users cannot award half points as this is clearly an 8.5 for me. Expand
  5. Feb 24, 2020
    Solid soulsbourne type game with fun bloodcodes (builds) and weapons. Good world design. Fun.
  6. Mar 24, 2020
    This game is more like an 8.5 personally. It was a pleasant surprise for sure.
    I think the characters are very likeable and the story is overall quite good. There are some surprisingly touching moments in there.
    The combat is not as tight as dark souls but it's enjoyable and there's room for a lot of build diversity. I think one of the downsides is environmental variety. A lot of
    This game is more like an 8.5 personally. It was a pleasant surprise for sure.

I think one of the downsides is environmental variety. A lot of levels are ruined cityscapes but there's a strong visual design and some cool landmarks along the way. The areas were more interesting than other souls like games such as nioh or the surge in my opinion. They could use some more enemy types too but I never really got bored of fighting the enemies.

I really like how the game allows you to grind levels very easily. They aren't stingy in awarding haze so I never felt underleveled when fighting a boss. It's also really nice having a minimap which tells you where you've been walking. And also every boss fight has a checkpoint nearby so you don't have to run long distances if you get beaten.

I think there are some fantastic bosses here. There were a couple which took ages and when I finally beat them my heart was ready to explode which is what you want in these games.

Also the character creator is top tier. Even at the end of the game I still felt really great about how my guy looked. There are a lot of different outfits to wear as well so there's a lot of room for customization in general. One issue though is with clipping. My character's hair was very long and often went through his clothes which isn't a huge deal but can be a little immersion breaking.

Finally, I'm not a big fan of having a silent protagonist in general but I appreciate that your character will nod, shake hands and on a couple of occasions actually speaks. Overall the silent protagonist thing worked quite well here.
  7. Oct 11, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. E adorei dinâmica a jogabilidade e trilha sonora me agradou bastante e a história me lembra bastante animes bem mais me divertir bastante jogando ele Expand
  8. Nov 28, 2019
    I felt compelled to create a Metacritic account to support this game, the game has a very good customization system, combat has its inspirations but still managed to make its own style stand out with the use of codes and veils , besides the weapons like the bayonet that I found something very different from any other game. But besides the combat, something that stands out is its narrative,I felt compelled to create a Metacritic account to support this game, the game has a very good customization system, combat has its inspirations but still managed to make its own style stand out with the use of codes and veils , besides the weapons like the bayonet that I found something very different from any other game. But besides the combat, something that stands out is its narrative, serious as the history of this game arrested me, you need to search the memories can be massive for some but for me it was the missing pinch that made me explore the whole game in search With a better understanding of the characters and the world around them, I started this game expecting a bad story but I was completely wrong. And last and for me the most important is the soundtrack ... Ooooh boy as the soundtrack of this game is good, a certain song is repeated during the memories (which can be annoying to some) but in the narrative near the final stretch The track of this game is amazing, during boss fight moments and especially during the mid to late cutscenes. In technical matters, I did not suffer from any bugs during the game, the only thing I should point out was frame drops when there were a lot of particles on the screen and when changing to a new map but nothing that disturbed my experience, I highly recommend this game to those looking for a good narrative and inspirational combat in the Souls like genre.

Me senti na obrigação de criar uma conta no Metacritic para dar meu apoio a este game , o jogo tem um sistema de customização muito boa, combate tem sim suas inspirações mas ainda sim conseguiu deixar seu próprio estilo em destaque com o uso dos códigos e véus , além das armas como a baioneta que achei algo muito diferente de qualquer outro jogo. Mas além do combate, algo que se destaca é sua narrativa , sério como a historia desse jogo me prendeu, você necessitar de buscar as memorias pode ser massante para alguns mas pra mim foi a pitada que faltava que me fez explorar o jogo inteiro em busca de maior entendimento sobre os personagens e o mundo a sua volta, comecei esse jogo esperando uma historia ruim mas estava completamente enganado. E por ultimo e pra mim o mais importante é a trilha sonora ... Ooooh boy como a trilha desse jogo é boa , uma certa musica se repete durante as memorias ( o que pode ser irritante para alguns ) porém na narrativa perto da reta final a trilha desse jogo fica incrivel , nos momentos de boss fight e principalmente durante as cutscenes da metade para o final. Em questões técnicas , não sofri com nenhum bug durante o game , unica coisa que devo apontar foi quedas de frames quando havia muitas partículas na tela e em momentos de mudança para um novo mapa mas nada que atrapalhou minha experiencia , recomendo e muito esse jogo para aqueles que buscam uma boa narrativa e um combate com inspirações no gênero Souls like .
  9. Feb 4, 2020
    Code vein me parece un gran paso para crear un souls like con estética anime puesto que presenta una historia muy interesante y un árbol de habilidades destacado, por eso creo que criticar de manera constructiva también es necesario .puesto que , a mi parecer le falta al juego una mayor cantidad de variedad en las armas y que las misiones de los NPCs podrían ser más significativas paraCode vein me parece un gran paso para crear un souls like con estética anime puesto que presenta una historia muy interesante y un árbol de habilidades destacado, por eso creo que criticar de manera constructiva también es necesario .puesto que , a mi parecer le falta al juego una mayor cantidad de variedad en las armas y que las misiones de los NPCs podrían ser más significativas para ellos ya que creo que solo están ahí para hacer que vayas de acá para allá . Pero a pesar de todo creo que code vein es un gran primer paso y ojalá este sea el inicio de una nueva IP con mucho futuro por delante Expand
  10. Mar 7, 2020
    Overall i love this game as much as Bloodborne, if you have played Bloodborne that should of already grabbed your attention.

The customisation is something everyone noticed in this game, its massive, it has so much depth which i have never really seen in a game before. The Combat feels amazing, it feels just like any dark souls and bloodborne game but like them it has it's own unique

The Combat feels amazing, it feels just like any dark souls and bloodborne game but like them it has it's own unique thing whihc is the blood codes. I enjoy this combat so much it really made the game more enjoyable.

The world is large, but its not all connect like a dark souls or bloodborne game and the biggest thing i hated was the world felt repetitive most of the timt, it was lacking where as if you play similar games it always feels different like with bloodborne. I love the world but it needs more in Code vein.

Now the story and bosses, if you do everything possible to understand the story and lore you will really respect the game for what it is, the story is amazing and something i could never forget (depends on which ending) and the final boss is defiently a favourite HOWEVER the game is far to easy, bosses dont really have any challenge besides 3 or 4, and i did paly the game a second time on the hardest diificuly option and it was still the same outcome. This game never really had be stuck for to long unlike Laurence in bloodborne dlc.

Overall this game is worth playing and i hope Code Vein 2 will exist in the near future.
  11. Apr 16, 2020
    Game of the Year contender. Best gameplay, story, music, voice acting and rpg element
  12. Apr 4, 2020
    Muy buen Souls-like infravalorado con un diseño artístico único y exótico de corte anime. Jugablemente muy satisfactorio con los distintos códigos de sangre y sus respectivas habilidades configurables ofreciendo distintos estilos de lucha. A destacar también su ambientación desolada y muy cercana a la solietariedad de por ejemplo un Metroid, un diseño de GPS de los más útiles del género yMuy buen Souls-like infravalorado con un diseño artístico único y exótico de corte anime. Jugablemente muy satisfactorio con los distintos códigos de sangre y sus respectivas habilidades configurables ofreciendo distintos estilos de lucha. A destacar también su ambientación desolada y muy cercana a la solietariedad de por ejemplo un Metroid, un diseño de GPS de los más útiles del género y que invita a seguir explorando todos los escenarios, así como unos bastante buenos jefes y una trama "vampiresca" interesante. Como único punto débil, su rendimiento regular en consolas que bien podría haber estado mejor optimizado y estable a 30fps por lo menos. Por lo demás es un gran juego. Ni caso a la prensa que lo ha destrozado. Code Vein tiene estilo propio. Expand
  13. Mar 12, 2020
    Отличная игра, людям, которым понравился Remnant и теперь они хотят поиграть что-то похожее, но на ближний бой )
    Мне не нравится soul`s like игры, в том классическом стиле и понимании, которые они существуют, но мне вполне в десяток раз понравился этот проект.
    + я любитель аниме и визуал, вполне взыграл дополнительно к моим интересам. Спасибо кто прочел и разработчикам, за труды и
    + я любитель аниме и визуал, вполне взыграл дополнительно к моим интересам.

Спасибо кто прочел и разработчикам, за труды и локализацию (субтитров достаточно)!
    P.S: Прошу попросить гения, кто рисовал "Собор святой крови", держать взаперти. Потрясающая локация, которая спутает не только глаза, логику и инстинкты, но и ориентацию и взгляды.
  14. Nov 22, 2019
    I know the grade I give for this game doesn't fit, but it's more for opinion. Well, like games that have a kinda anime footprint, they end up having scenes where hair, clothes or the like cross each other, and so on. but in other respects he looks like a dark souls but anime that caught my attention, I don't know about you.
  15. Oct 18, 2019
    Such an underrated game with great story, really fun to play! You should play and support it
  16. Oct 4, 2019
    As someone who’s played every souls-like game and gotten platinum trophies on all but two (Sekiro and Surge 2), I can easily say that this is one of the best. I absolutely love it! So much so that after buying the deluxe edition and playing through it, I just got done ordering a collectors edition from Japan so I can have the Mia statue. If you remotely like these types of games, get it.
  17. Dec 2, 2019
    I really like it.It's like Dark Souls/Bloodborne, but it doesn't make you wanna kill yourself with a PS4 controller. So it's not easy but LOT easier than those two. Character customization is great.
    I'm not sure about the story, but that is secondary subject in this kinda game.
  18. Oct 1, 2019
    Very enjoyable souls-like, a bit floaty for the combat it does take some getting used to. Other than that a very good attempt at that souls like format. Also very much enjoy that there is a solid (albeit goofy) story attached to the game.
  19. Sep 30, 2019
    This game is amazing, the combat is great, the story is has some suspense and mystery that draws you in making you want more. Overall this game is a good time!
  20. Nov 3, 2019
    Great game! Clearly underrated. Playing solo makes it more difficult than any other soulslike.
  21. Jan 24, 2020
    it's sad to see these stupid game journalists give such a beautiful game a low score. sure it has some flaws but the enjoyability factor FAR outweighs the minor flaws.truly an amazing game
  22. Oct 1, 2019
    Not sure what the critics are all about. I really enjoyed the game and am glad I didn't listen to reviews and gave it a shoot.

It's semi dark souls anime if you want to call it that. The character creation is top notch. The combat is fun and challenging. Sometimes easy with your acquaintances. Boss battles still dark souls esq. I'd say if you like anime and souls like games give this one

I'd say if you like anime and souls like games give this one a try. The story was entertaining.
  23. Oct 11, 2019
    Code vein is great, the gameplay, music, and design overall is good. The character creation is one of the best I've ever seen in a dark souls clone. One reason I think people didn't like this game is because they went into it expecting dark souls. I did too, and at first I was confused and worried that it wasn't going to be what I expected, but I had to realize that this game was going toCode vein is great, the gameplay, music, and design overall is good. The character creation is one of the best I've ever seen in a dark souls clone. One reason I think people didn't like this game is because they went into it expecting dark souls. I did too, and at first I was confused and worried that it wasn't going to be what I expected, but I had to realize that this game was going to be different. Yes it feels like dark souls and is very similar, but you should go into expecting something different cause it is. of course people are completely entitled to their opinion. I personally recommend this game to anyone who loves the dark souls series. While is similar in many ways and the differences are well made, allowing for a variety of builds. The only thing that is keeping me from a 10 is that this game can kinda be easy, the entire game you can have a someone with you, you can choose to do it by yourself though. I actually think this is a good idea to have a way to balance people who want a good challenge to turn it off, and people who are more casual gamers and not great at it. Overall this is another amazing dark souls like Anime game. Expand
  24. Oct 11, 2019
    Code Vein is the literal definition of a Soulslike done right and is honestly one of the biggest surprises of the year for me so far.
    This game literally gets a 9/10 based on the character creation screen alone which is perhaps the best we have ever seen in a game despite the subjective art style. You name it you can probably make it in Code Vein's character creation screen.
    However the
    However the gameplay is also very well done as it combines the technical systems of a Souls game but adds anime bombast to it which is most likely to be a weebs wet dream (sorry if I offended anyone), The blood codes is also a great idea as it adds a class like system to Code Vein that whilst the Souls games had it was entirely down to player impact to build their characters into a specific class. Code Vein combines classes with traditional Souls leveling systems to creating a very fun and addictive combat loop.
    Whilst it retains the Souls like gameplay Code Vein does not carry over the notorious difficulty of these games, in fact during my 30 hours with the game I only died 10 times compared to the thousands of deaths in Nioh and The Surge 2 which had extreme spikes in difficulty. I would say the difficulty is very welcoming and is akin to an action game like NieR Automata and Metal Gear Rising Revengence which may or may not be a turn off depending on the player.
    Overall if you are looking for a great action game to play this year Code Vein should be on your radar and is one of the best games released all year round.
  25. Oct 1, 2019
    Un buen juego con algunos fallos. Si te gustan los juegos tipo Souls y el anime, es muy disfrutable,
  26. Sep 30, 2019
    This game is a pure joy. After following this game closely since it's teaser trailer in 2017, one question has been nagging at the back of my mind. "Will this game be as good as it deserves to be"? Having played through all the Soulsborne games, and loving every one of them, my primary concern was if the game-play would hold up. I loved the aesthetic of this game and that was brought intoThis game is a pure joy. After following this game closely since it's teaser trailer in 2017, one question has been nagging at the back of my mind. "Will this game be as good as it deserves to be"? Having played through all the Soulsborne games, and loving every one of them, my primary concern was if the game-play would hold up. I loved the aesthetic of this game and that was brought into full tilt when the character creator was revealed to, frankly, be the new industry standard. After spending 20 hours with this game, and with no sign of the end in sight, I was able to put most of my concerns to rest.
    I'm utterly in love with this game. I love the direction, story style, personality, concepts and artistic vision of this game. And with no signs of micro-transaction intrusion, the game looks like all of it's mechanics are allowed to function as intended. And that's where I think this game will fall short of it's contemporary peers from FromSoftware. The elephant in the room is that the combat isn't Soulsborne levels of polish. And nothing out right now is, so it's in good company. But the comparisons are levied more directly at this game because it draws so heavily on the gameplay loop that Soulsborne established.
    So is the combat that is here satisfying? That's the main question. And I can confidently say that it is, despite it's flaws. The controls are snappy to the point where your character seems to have no momentum and can feel "floaty", but that lends itself to a much more frenetic style more akin to Bloodborne. And when you find yourself in large scale fights with many enemies, this ferocious agility is allowed to really shine in ways that put the large mob fights in Dark Souls to shame. Soulsborne excels far above it's peers in 1 on 1 combat encounters with extremely tight weapon mechanics but usually falls short when more than 3 enemys come barreling at you. Code vein feels like the opposite. 1 on 1 combat usually allows the wrinkles of the mechanics to be felt more acutely but, when 4 or 5 enemies come at you and your partner, strap in for a flashy, wild combat encounter.
    The weakest points of the game I've felt so far have been the boss encounters, sadly. They certainly work and are stronger than bosses in most games but pale in comparison to the show stopping memorable fights that liter the Soulsborne series. Initially a lot of the bosses felt cheap and shoddy as my character was inflicted, continually, with status ailments repeatedly. Each boss had a different status ailment that made the fight significantly more difficult. But after digging into the decently well explained character build mechanics with it's blood codes and skill sets, I came to understand that these boss fights were trying to make me build entire class load outs specifically to counter what they threw at you. The poison boss required you to invest in poison resistance skill and poison cure skill as well as a veil with elemental resistances. The water boss would slow you and then run circles around you until you removed that debuff and build tanky to take their hits, which were very difficult to dodge. This system, once understood, allowed me to build my character out to counter these bosses and make them significantly easier and much less frustrating. If customizing your character and skills for boss encounters sounds tedious to you, however, then this will likely seem less satisfying for you.
    Outside of boss fights, the mob combat, exploration and level design reach levels of care that are as close as anyone has come to the Soulsborne games outside of FromSoftware. With spidering paths that loop back on spawn points 2 and 3 times very often, the world rewards your exploration and gives you that same feeling of finding shortcuts that I became to accustomed to. Each area is riddled with hidden paths, secret items and side bosses that I can only come away that familiar feeling that I love from these sorts of games.
    There are bugs, but they have reared their ugly head only a scant few times during my play-through such that I don't think they bear dwelling on. And with multiplayer that works at launch, I can't complain.
    With my astronomical expectations of this game, after 3 years of following it closely, I thought it would be impossible for me to come away from this experience as anything other than disappointed. It's my pleasure to tell you that, while not exceeding my high expectations, it has certainly lived up to them and even surprised me a few times. I'm very excited to see where this IP goes from here with a bit of polish put on the mechanics to get it closer to that Soulsborne level of quality. If this series is able to get a bit closer to that lofty bar with the charm and aesthetic prowess that it exudes in a sequel, then we'll have something game changing on our hands. As of now, Code Vein is an absolute delight that is able to stand as a valiant and satisfying first stab at an alternative to Dark Souls.
  27. Oct 2, 2019
    Great game, does what every souls like game should. It takes some ideas from dark souls and then they put their own spin on it.
  28. Oct 23, 2019
    Critics DO NOT KNOW BALLS
    That's why user score is much higher than critic score
  29. Sep 29, 2019
    amazing bosses a lot of content!!! the character customization is awesome! the gameplay is fun, a lot of builds is not a master piece but is a good game!
  30. Sep 30, 2019
    Top tier character customization, interesting story, excelent music, likeable characters with solid story arcs and unique class system (Blood Codes). The IA could be better, more faster, but it is a good game overall.
  31. Oct 5, 2019
    This game is amazing, the only explanation for low scores is that people are thinking about this game like its DS but its not. Character customization is out of this world... i mean this is mostly single player game but you can change so many things like its mmo. Story line is nice and simple, you learn background of every character you meet which is nice. Combat is like Dark Souls butThis game is amazing, the only explanation for low scores is that people are thinking about this game like its DS but its not. Character customization is out of this world... i mean this is mostly single player game but you can change so many things like its mmo. Story line is nice and simple, you learn background of every character you meet which is nice. Combat is like Dark Souls but kinda easier because you have companion by your side and he/she helps a lot... but you don't have to use them if you don't want to, you can go solo and the game is a lot harder then, so i don't understand why ppl are saying it's too easy? just play solo. Other thing about combat is that you have A LOT of skills to use, you can do so many builds that it's kinda hard to get bored with combat. For me this game is amazing and i recommend this game to everyone that played DS, Bloodborn etc. Have a nice day :) Expand
  32. Oct 7, 2019
    I just completed the game. Absolutely love it. I have played the Dark Souls series, and I think this game deserves to be praised just as much. Now it isn't the same, not what I'm saying. They take the Dark Souls formula, and add a great twist to match their gameplay. I truly loved it, don't be afraid to try it because "it's not as challenging as Dark Souls." They're wrong, the point wasI just completed the game. Absolutely love it. I have played the Dark Souls series, and I think this game deserves to be praised just as much. Now it isn't the same, not what I'm saying. They take the Dark Souls formula, and add a great twist to match their gameplay. I truly loved it, don't be afraid to try it because "it's not as challenging as Dark Souls." They're wrong, the point was never to copy and replace Dark Souls, it was to bring games like them forward. Expand
  33. Feb 2, 2020
    Incredible levels of customisation from visuals to class-building make your experience with Code Vein feel unique, despite the rather linear level design. The combat system has a good amount of depth and complexity to get lost in, though it may put new players off as it can seem like information overload.
  34. Nov 8, 2019
    As someone who doesn't really enjoy Souls-like games (excluding Bloodborne) , this game is crazy good.

Gameplay (10/10): The combat is tight and satisfying, the bloodcodes/gifts allow HUGE variety in the gameplay and the character costumization allows for everyone to make their perfect character. As is expected from Souls-like games, Code Vein is pretty challenging at times, but due to same changes like the partner system, it's a lot more forgiving; you could die during a fight, but as long as your partner is alive and he's fast enough, he can use a chunk of his HP to revive you and vice-versa.

Story(9/10): The story is pretty good but nothing amazing, however, the world and the characters are incredibly written and very interesting (Even the silent protagonist is made interesting thanks to how the game handles the characters backstory).

Art/Music(10/10): The art direction in the game is fantastic, mixing the SoulsBorne style with a more edgy anime look gives you an amazing result that adds so much more to the already interesting characters and well constructed maps. Same as the art, the OST in Code Vein is simply phenomenal, this epic soundtrack composed by Go Shiina (famous for God Eater), fits every single moment in the game; every boss encounter turns into an epic fight for your and your partner's survival and every conversation turns into an emotional moment thanks to this overpowering soundtrack. I can't think of a more badass moment than your partner dying and you having to survive while listening to this OST

Overall, Code Vein is on par with Bloodborne as my favorite Souls-like experience and deserves more attention.
    (Also to everyone reading this, saying characters are over-sexualized or that the game is too "anime" is not a valid complaint in any type of media, if you don't like it, then this is not a game for you which is totally fine but don't critize a game just because it doesn't match your tastes).
  35. Oct 22, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off. All the idiots giving this game low reviews simply for “Sexism” clearly don’t understand the definition of that word. Yes it’s true a lot of the female characters are wearing pretty revealing clothes and/or tight clothes in general but you can pretty easily avoid looking at them if it matter that much to your shallow self.

Anyway. On to my thoughts.
    Code Vein isn’t a masterpiece. The combat was your simple Dark Souls fair with a unique spin that being the Blood Codes which lets you switch your class anytime and gifts which you can mix and match any from other Blood Codes as time goes on. It also has you equip 4 passive stat buffs which acted similarly to rings and I thought that was cool personally.
    Other than those, it wasn’t much different personally.

Exploring was done in a interesting way where you slowly unlocked more the the map by finding the little plants throughout the area.
    Though these areas did get repetitive at times with there being a handful of enemy types.
    I agree that Dark Souls definitely did a better job in this department as well.

The reason for my high score is for the characters like Lewis, Mia, Yakumo, etc.
    These characters were fun to explore with and see in action. Lewis was agile with decent DPS, Mia prefers long-range, and Yakamo is tanky with solid attack power + great speed.

I do think this game gets repetitive and the areas can be more varied without a doubt, but it’s gonna be one of those games I come back to so I can try out new weapons, gift combinations, etc. personally I thought the bosses were kinda easy compared to other souls games. Sure they gave some challenge but I beat most on my first try. You honestly don’t need to save your Haze (currency) for much so I just flooded it into my characters level and upgraded whenever I got the chance. Plus the AI Co-Op characters made things kinda easier too. I know this game isn’t perfect but so what. It was a treat and if you disagree... great. Move on. Code Vein gets 8 crazy anime haircuts outta 10.
  36. Oct 12, 2019
    I ordered this game based on the character creation and anime aesthetic alone but it's also a good game. Don't let the hypocrite activist's posing as journalists scare you off.
  37. Oct 9, 2019
    What an amazing game. Sure, it is not as challenging as the SoulsBorne-series and perhaps the translation is somewhat lacking in places... but do those things really matter that much? In my opinion, no. Code Vein is just a really great game if you are into SoulsBorne-style game play.

8.5/10 in my book and an extra special plus for no (as of release) predatory in-game micro transactions. You can actually earn all of the rewards by playing the game?! What a time to be alive!
  38. Oct 2, 2019
    this game was amazing. The creators of god eater did a good job on code vein. the customization was the best i seen and love the characters and seeing everyone's back story
  39. Oct 21, 2019
    This game is a gem, I really don't get all the negative reviews. Been playing it for over 20 hours and CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF IT!!!
  40. Oct 15, 2019
    Really good game, already finished the story twice and about to go for the 3rd play through, the game does have a decent story that does feel dull at the start but once it kicks off, it does deliver a good story, the memory scenes are something new for a change, a very artistic way to tell the story. The music is incredibly well made and really adds that extra to the game. The switchingReally good game, already finished the story twice and about to go for the 3rd play through, the game does have a decent story that does feel dull at the start but once it kicks off, it does deliver a good story, the memory scenes are something new for a change, a very artistic way to tell the story. The music is incredibly well made and really adds that extra to the game. The switching and mixing skills from blood codes to make your own build is a really nice touch too and lets not forget how well made the AI companions are, they do save your butt and are really helpful, without them the game becomes a whole new difficulty, they are your safety net, so make sure you take them with you and find the companion that mixes best with your playstyle. It is a game a would definitely advice to get, it is not as punishing as Dark Souls, but challenging enough to keep you on the edge of your seat. Expand
  41. Oct 22, 2019
    Wonderful game and highly enjoyable from start to finish!

Pros: -Beautiful and unique character designs -Top tier character customization system -Interesting and deep story (and very sad and tragic too...) -Lovable cast of characters that will quickly win your heart -Gameplay is pretty solid and has a very enjoyable arraid of different skills for your buids Cons: -It's too
    Wonderful game and highly enjoyable from start to finish!

Pros:
    -Beautiful and unique character designs
    -Top tier character customization system
    -Interesting and deep story (and very sad and tragic too...)
    -Lovable cast of characters that will quickly win your heart

Cons:
    -It's too short for an RPG (it would take you no more than 4 or 5 days to finish it)
    -It's difficulty level is a bit too low (especially if you're into the Soulsborne, Nioh, Sekiro genre)

Overall 9 out of 10, I took half a point for the shortness of the game and half a point for it's somehow easy difficulty.
  42. Sep 30, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. O jogo é muito melhor do que dizem esses supostos entendedores, merece uma nota melhor Expand
  43. Oct 18, 2019
    The best souls-like so far... I liked so much that game... I played the whole game alone and i found too easy... In the 3° last map, more or less, just there he get more hard... And 1 or 2 mechanics going very Wrong, like the hitbox bugged...
    But the game is very fun and beautiful is impressive Some details and the flued animation..
  44. Oct 9, 2019
    Very good Souls clone even its not that hard as Dark Souls itself. Anyway its really good game with interesting story and some really good done mechanice.
  45. Oct 10, 2019
    Code Vein is a great game and also a game for beginners into Souls like games. While this game isn't easy, due to the AI partner you can have by default, it makes it a bit easier than other Souls like games.

For fans of higher difficulty, you can opt out of having an AI partner and do it solo in true Souls style. The character creator is very good and gives you lots of options to

The character creator is very good and gives you lots of options to create a unique character, or just use a default option.

Due to the various blood codes, you can also change up your playstyle from caster, to quick melee, or heavy hitting melee, or tanking.

Very highly recommended, unless you don't like Anime graphic styles
  46. Oct 22, 2019
    If you like anime and souls you will LOVE it!
    If you like anime games only you will LOVE it!
    If you like souls games only, well it's easier, less punishing, but you can leave your AI partner at home if you really want a challenge! that way souls players will love it too! Almost every time I enter the home base, I change my character a little (she's a cute elegant lovely girl) and
    If you like anime and souls you will LOVE it!
    If you like anime games only you will LOVE it!

Almost every time I enter the home base, I change my character a little (she's a cute elegant lovely girl) and start siting on every chair and every sofa including the ones in the hot spring, pressing X so she looks into the camera and just take screenshots from her like a photographer, believe me the animations and poses are so differ that you will do this too often and you will enjoy every moment of it if you're an anime freak like me!

whenever a cutscene plays, I just can't take my eyes off the screen, there was a cutscene that I took like 20 screenshots from and again believe me they are that much pretty and engaging, the story too.

there were times that I felt I'm playing a hack & slash game instead of a souls-like RPG! executing combos with my bad ass Tokyo ghoul like powers and lunching enemies into the air and sticking countless blades into their chest in the middle of the air with a cinematic camera, it is soooo satisfying!

The level design is good if not perfect, it got it's ups and downs but it's OK overall with a lot of secret passages in each area.

The only draw backs for me were one map which get a little repetitive within itself and you will get dizzy about how big and complex it is but with the same design all over it, and I wish there were more soundtracks, they are beautiful but there are not many.

My verdict is a 9 out of 10
    This is one of the best and satisfying experiences in anime games genre, it holds itself in the third place after Persona 5 and Astral Chain for me and it is truly a hidden sleeping diamond among many anime games and I hope more people get to enjoy it.
    Also I can't wait for a sequel, I really hope Bandi Namco goes for it.
  47. Oct 18, 2019
    excelent gameplay and character customization systems, really good souls inspired level design, the story is enterteining too, there is so much variety of combat styles you can apply to your character that you can create 20 characters and all of then will have totally diferent combat strategies, charismatic characters and secondary storielines. there is not many mistakes to talk about,excelent gameplay and character customization systems, really good souls inspired level design, the story is enterteining too, there is so much variety of combat styles you can apply to your character that you can create 20 characters and all of then will have totally diferent combat strategies, charismatic characters and secondary storielines. there is not many mistakes to talk about, except for 1 bad disighned boss fight. Expand
  48. Oct 11, 2019
    Me pareció muy buen juego ni es un 10 pero si un nueve me pareció muy muy bueno
  49. Oct 5, 2019
    This game is really good.The graphics are amazing... It's a very nice touch with bandai namco has done. I think the sound needs a tad bit of a touch-up I can barely hear the voices over the sound effects and music. The gameplay is very solid it's not too hard but it's not that easy either you mixing up blood codes and blood vessels is a very nice addition
  50. Sep 30, 2019
    It was day-one buy for me. Got my first "taste" of blood only yesterday - but I like the game so far. First game in a while, which makes me keep checking hours on the clock, while waiting for work day to finish, to get home and turn on my PS4. Really enjoy "lighter" atmosphere of the game. It's great to play with a companion, though for even more challenge you can opt to play alone. GreatIt was day-one buy for me. Got my first "taste" of blood only yesterday - but I like the game so far. First game in a while, which makes me keep checking hours on the clock, while waiting for work day to finish, to get home and turn on my PS4. Really enjoy "lighter" atmosphere of the game. It's great to play with a companion, though for even more challenge you can opt to play alone. Great character customization. And NPC's designs looks great. Had some problems with camera in the beginning, but after getting used to locking onto enemy - it's not such a big problem. Expand
  51. Sep 30, 2019
    So far having beaten the third boss, the game is good. Combat is like a perfect mash of Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and God Eater 3. While the controls on keyboard and mouse are not entirely bad like Dark Souls PtDE, unless you are willing to fiddle with the key mapping, I'd suggest a controller. (Side Note: This is reviewing the offline experience, I have not played online yet, and probablySo far having beaten the third boss, the game is good. Combat is like a perfect mash of Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and God Eater 3. While the controls on keyboard and mouse are not entirely bad like Dark Souls PtDE, unless you are willing to fiddle with the key mapping, I'd suggest a controller. (Side Note: This is reviewing the offline experience, I have not played online yet, and probably won't until I either get to NG+ or become curious enough, so I can't really say anything on that side of the game.)

So far here is my pros and cons.
    Pros:
    -Fun Combat Systems
    -A Tutorial
    -EXTENSIVE Character Creation
    (took me 30 minutes just sorting through all the options and i'm still going in an tweaking my character every now and then!)
    -Interesting Story and Characters
    -YOU HAVE A MAP

Neutral:
    -Season Pass
    (I put this here because the description on it is vague at the moment, so I'm hoping it is similar to DS3's Ashes of Ariandel/Ringed City pass, plus it is a back-step from God Eater 3's free updates and extra episodes)

Cons:
    -Some Stuttering/Frame Drop Issues
    -Unreal Engine
    (texture fade-in during cutscenes)
    -Partner Chatter Can Become Infuriating
    -Partner AI Is Sub-Optimal in Boss Fights

In Conclusion:
    I recommend this game. I am enjoying it, it contains everything I was hoping for and more. While the game does has its downfalls, I am hoping that solutions for what can be fixed do come around. Either way, I will be playing this game and continue to enjoy it and I hope that anyone who buys it enjoys it as much as I am
  52. Oct 8, 2019
    Anime Souls indeed. And that works absolutely fine! Solid japanese action rpg. Sure, the level design is pretty generic, and animations aren't on the same high level of some similar games. But it's still a solid and complete package of good fun. The game is surprisinpretty story and cutscene heavy. The story is interesting and has some cool moments. Nothing world changing, but it's a niceAnime Souls indeed. And that works absolutely fine! Solid japanese action rpg. Sure, the level design is pretty generic, and animations aren't on the same high level of some similar games. But it's still a solid and complete package of good fun. The game is surprisinpretty story and cutscene heavy. The story is interesting and has some cool moments. Nothing world changing, but it's a nice change of pace, compared to the way the lore and story is presented in different games of it's genre, like Dark Souls for example. The game also offers a surprisingly huge amount of skill and classes (blood codes) with a lot of freedom to experiment. Expand
  53. Oct 10, 2019
    Great Game, espcially for people who always wanted to play a „Souls-like“ but never get really into it.
  54. Oct 9, 2019
    I was pleasantly surprised throughout my playthrough on how well made the game was. There are obvious comparisons that can be made to games like dark souls, however, code vein does a good job about standing out from the crowd. From its unique anime art style, to its rich storytelling, and action paced combat, it was a thrill ride all the way through.
  55. Oct 10, 2019
    Deserves 10/10 just for the combat system alone. 11/10 if ur also a weeb lol.
  56. Oct 11, 2019
    If you like souls-like games but you hate dying over and over again, this game is for you. The gameplay is so fun and the graphics are amazing.
  57. Nov 1, 2019
    Gran juego, esta bien realizado y excelente historia, la música es muy buena y la personalización es entretenida.
  58. Nov 1, 2019
    Bom jogo com uma excelente história, teve umas quedas de frame q precisam ser corrigidas, o coop é mt bem incentivado já q é a proposta principal do game, poderia ter mais opções para a personalização de personagem, mas no geral um ótimo jogo
  59. Nov 8, 2019
    Una de las sorpresas del año,jugabilidad,OST y variedad de builds sobresalientes.
  60. Nov 19, 2019
    un gran juego al puro estilo soul, pero con caras kawais jajaja combates entretenidos gran dinamica y se puede jugar con amigos lo q lo hace mas divertido e interesante
  61. Dec 7, 2019
    É um jogo divertido no geral. Não espere um jogo perfeito, mas Code Vein me agradou em muitos pontos. É um Souls Like de anime, mas tem suas particularidades, os diversos Códigos de Sangue proporciona uma variedade agradável no gameplay e permite se adaptar a diferentes situações. A personalização de personagem então... É um dos pontos mais altos do game. A história, porém, infelizmenteÉ um jogo divertido no geral. Não espere um jogo perfeito, mas Code Vein me agradou em muitos pontos. É um Souls Like de anime, mas tem suas particularidades, os diversos Códigos de Sangue proporciona uma variedade agradável no gameplay e permite se adaptar a diferentes situações. A personalização de personagem então... É um dos pontos mais altos do game. A história, porém, infelizmente não chega a ser memorável. A dificuldade também não está na altura dos outros jogos do gênero, mas eu não vejo isso como defeito, pois o jogo proporciona sim certo desafio. É claro que quem é muito fã da franquia Souls vai achar o jogo fácil de mais porque está acostumado a sofrer. Para quem se intimida com a dificuldade dos jogos Souls Like, Code Vein é uma boa entrada para quem quer iniciar um jogo nesse estilo de gameplay. Expand
  62. Sep 27, 2019
    Go ahead and ignore the critic scores. You know how it is, these people play 1 hour of a game and they can hardly get past a tutorial.

My favorite game of the year yet! AMAZING!!! Combat is near flawless in my opinion. The graphics are just good enough that they don't cause any slow down (least for me) and I play on line with regular ps4. Switch between so many classes on the

My favorite game of the year yet! AMAZING!!!
    Combat is near flawless in my opinion.

Switch between so many classes on the fly, so much depth to the levels, upgrades, weapons and NPCs.
    Character creation alone is worth the price of entry! So fun!
    On-line is similar to monster hunter with distress calls-easy and fun to get a game.
    Good story, characters, settings-such a cool aesthetic.
    I'm tired from playing since I got it on pre-order, but had to get my vote in to make up for these corrupt ignorant critics.

I am not the best at souls games and I can play this, at the same time you can get a challenge too.
  63. Oct 2, 2019
    Fun game challenging but fair if you love anime and dark souls you should play this! Hands down on of my fav games that came out late in the year but was worth the wait!
  64. Oct 2, 2019
    It's anime Bloodborne and I'm loving every minute of it. Great customization for any play style.
  65. Sep 30, 2019
    Anime Bloodborne, Its amazing. hard, scary at times, and while the plot is a little cliche, it was an easy plat, it was a fun experience, and if youre on the fence, Id say tis worth 40$ for sure. if yo like anime and challenging games, its worth the 60
  66. Nov 2, 2019
    Code Vein is a fun game to play but it will let you down in some aspects that it successfully hides from you. This is heavily based on the Dark Souls series and Bloodborne. More bellow.

The Pros: - Customization: This game has a good customization system for your characters' appearances, which is totally based on style. You will have some fun here. - Battle Customization: This is the

The Pros:
    - Battle Customization: This is the meat of the game. You have tons of classes to choose from, where you can switch between them every time you fell like it while keeping your progression of the last one. This is also enhanced by the massive amount of passive and active skills you can use, that FOR SURE will fit your style of play somehow. This is why this game is fun: combat.
    -Artwork: Mixed feelings here. Solid artwork but bad art direction.

The Cons:
    - Art direction: This game is not bad in terms of graphics but the art direction killed it. Everywhere you go feels the same: rubble, point spikes, destroyed buildings, stones, messed streets. Hence and repeat. There is little variety and the looks just start to feel absurdly boring after a while, where nothing appeals to your eyes anymore.
    - Soundtrack: There are good soundtracks but little variety, gets repetitive fast.
    - Story: Ths game might well have no story. It is your standard shonen anime plot: [no spoilers just general idea] bunch of people turn into friends to stop some evil, they go through a lot of cliche dramas (a lot of cliches), done. Additionally, this game loses points to really rip off the souls series like its nothing. You are all trapped in some life-death cycle (all from the souls series + Sekiro), blood is a bid deal in this world (Bloodborne), you can go aid some players around the work or call them (all from Souls Series). Some places are almost a rip-off. Another lame factor is the character's personalities that are CLICHE to a fault, which makes you lose interest fast. You will not get attached to any of them. They are the most non-appealing NPC ever. Maybe Yakumo is cool, the rest are not.
    - Memories: There are a lot of memories to see in this game, that will not only trigger some class for you to learn but will also let you go deeper into the lore. Sounds good? Well, it isn't. There are tons of memories, they take forever to see, they are not interesting at all because they are all stills, they are no cutscenes.
    - Loading time: Long loading times. Unfortunately, you will be teleporting a lot, thus, be prepared to stay still and look at the same loading screen.
    - Side Quests: They are so irrelevant that if you don`t make any of them, you will not lose anything. They give you nothing interesting and "The Depths", which are a series of side-quest maps that are redundant and repetitive.
    - Cutscenes: WAY TO FREQUENT. That's it, just way too frequent.

Look, I gave this game a 7 because it is still fun to play. However, be warned... all I mentioned before is true and it has the potential to leave you disappointed to the point you will rush through the game just to finish it.
  67. Sep 29, 2019
    Плюсы:
    Звуковое сопровождение
    Оптимизация
    Озвучка
    Редактор персонажа

Минусы:
    Один вариант обработки сглаживания(TXAA)
    Отсутствие фото-режима
    Главный герой молчит и кивает головой
  68. Sep 30, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not Dark Souls, but a solid game with good customization.

Story has some good moments, especially when looking through memories. Once you figure out timing, the lack of immunity frames isn’t that big of a deal.
  69. Oct 1, 2019
    Muy buen juego, argumentalmente intenta ser mas sencillo que otras sagas, pero intentando mantener el interes en la historia a seguir avanzando, la jugabilidad es solidad y te da la oportunidad de poder cambiar de bulid en la misma partida sin grandes sacrificios. buenos mapas interconectados y buen diseños de bosses
  70. Oct 2, 2019
    A fantastic game. It really gets better as it goes on; I already want the next three games in the franchise (fingers crossed they continue making games in this universe!). I can't wait to see where they take it from here.

I finished the game at almost 44 hours, player level 130, no co-op just the AI partners. I was playing on a launch PS4, so I expected some dips in framerate and some slow loading, especially because my PS4 lags on the regular home screen sometimes, but the game was honestly very smooth and only had minor hiccups here and there (like the small transitions between areas; the final boss did not lag at all), and had textures that would sometimes load at their full resolution after maybe half a second or less. HOWEVER. I've watched a few people stream the game on PC, and they don't seem to have similar issues. So, if you care about this sort of thing, make sure your hardware isn't almost 6 years old.

The story was wonderful and always left me wanting to know more about why things were they way they were, speculating about how each character was involved, and itching for more lore. I was honestly left speechless quite a few times when some major story points occurred. The characters are all fantastic and made me cry multiple times throughout the game, once I learned more about them. The only part that may have fallen short was the tiny ~minute-long segment between the good-ending post-boss cutscene and the pre-credits cutscene, but I can definitely excuse that based on how solid the rest of the game was. I only wish it was longer! Then again, I say that about nearly every game...

The soundtrack is phenomenal, especially the vocal-focused tracks. If you listen to the whole soundtrack in succession (on YouTube), you can see how wonderful and different each song is (even the vocals are different for each song I believe, not just reused parts from other songs, and the Latin isn't just pseudo-Latin); I just found out the main menu theme actually has English lyrics because I listened to it more closely there. Each track really is a masterpiece on its own; this may be my favorite game soundtrack ever, or at the very least extremely close to it. The game may make it seem like it favors one song over all others, but please listen closely to that song (you'll know when you hear it). There are many different versions of that song, each with different instruments added or missing. There's even at least two versions of the just-piano version: a simple one and a complex one. The segments where these songs play, and their accompanying music, was carefully thought out and deserves its own recognition here.

And, as everyone knows already, the customization is top-notch, both in physical character creation and in customizing play-styles through blood veils, weapons, blood codes, and mastered blood code abilities. Tip if you're thinking of picking the game up: you can mix and match abilities from different blood codes! I've seen a few people online skip over this fact in the tutorial.

Please give this game a chance to be something other than a Dark Souls clone, as every reviewer and their brother wants to liken it to. It has a lot more to offer and is unique and wonderful in its own way.
  71. Oct 4, 2019
    people talking **** about the story are absolute idiots, some kids are angry its not on nintendo switch and some idiots are bashing the game because ¨its not worthy of being dark souls¨ and giving it bad scores.This is not dark souls, The story is phenomenal and **** diabolically amazing. Combat is diabolical and awesome, characters are beautiful and world is beautiful. Reviewers andpeople talking **** about the story are absolute idiots, some kids are angry its not on nintendo switch and some idiots are bashing the game because ¨its not worthy of being dark souls¨ and giving it bad scores.This is not dark souls, The story is phenomenal and **** diabolically amazing. Combat is diabolical and awesome, characters are beautiful and world is beautiful. Reviewers and witchunters have a 1 inch peen and their parents never loved them. Expand
  72. Nov 3, 2019
    This game is good and players will not regret their time with it, however there are several issues that hold it back from true greatness.

Gameplay; Combat is generally decent, challenging and requires thoughtfulness at all times. However the levels are regrettably samey and a fairly small enemy pool means that levels can become a drag. Enemies often refused to be downed without getting

Gameplay;
    Combat is generally decent, challenging and requires thoughtfulness at all times. However the levels are regrettably samey and a fairly small enemy pool means that levels can become a drag. Enemies often refused to be downed without getting at least one swing off, which becomes tedious especially when you get lost.

Exploration of levels is good, the maze like qualities of certain areas convey a sense of scale to proceedings and the mapping system and breadcrumbs left on the mini map are one of the strongest parts of the game. Replay ability does not particularly benefit however from sprawling mazes, and subsequent playthroughs can feel a little bit tedious because of this.

Bosses are a mixed bag, often acting so fast that it requires very quick reflexes or learning. Many times I have been at opposite ends of the arena to a boss who is currently not attacking, and the moment I try to heal, the distance was instantly closed and I receive a hit for more than my heal amount. Overall the combat is fair but I did find it frustrating. The game is tuned to co-op play with an AI companion, and this is one of the better AI companions that exists in gaming. It did often feel cheap to win a fight purely on how well the AI companion performed rather than anything I was doing, after all, who is playing this game? Often it felt like the AI companion.

The blood code system is serviceable, but the ability to change it on the fly actually harms replay-ability. Why would one want to play through the relatively tedious levels again, when you can just change blood codes and test it out for a while?

Multiplayer is a little disappointing, no PVP is available and the co-op dungeon diving does feel quite drawn out, tacked on and a little superfluous. As a side note, the trophy list is spoiled by one particular trophy which required 400 bosses to be killed in co-op. This can be mindless grind at best, or torture at worse. This is a shame as the other trophy's are fair.

Unfortunately this leaves game-play to be only just above average, and if scored alone I would probably give it a 6/10.

Story and everything else.
    The story is good. The world built is intriguing and leaves you wanting to know more, This narrative hook brings you through the game nicely. A misstep though is how it too often descends into the realm of anime melodrama. Without spoilers, see all of those characters you are meeting? Well prepare to have attempts made to tug on your heart strings for every single one of them. This gets repetitive and the players becomes numb to it fairly early on.

The game excels in its soundtrack, graphics and character customization. These features help to bring the game up to a 7/10 despite the mixed game-play. I think Bandai Namco are on to something good here, and it would be nice to see improved combat and game-play in a sequel or in the DLC's.

This game deserves the chance to improve, as this first entry is a mixed bag, especially in game-play.
  73. Dec 9, 2019
    Absolutely loved this game. Souls-like gameplay done in an anime art style. Unlike most souls games, there are characters with actual backstory and explainations of what you're trying to accomplish and why. I would give this game a 10 but there are certain scenes that cannot be skipped and while trying to plantinum trophy the game I simply don't want to sit through them over and over.
  74. Sep 27, 2019
    There are users complaining about the sexism of the game. That is not what you are asking to be evaluated. Do not mix.

Code Vein has the best character creation, and has good and fun gameplay, deserves to be respected.
  75. Sep 29, 2019
    Very good game. Well deserved have some frame drops but nothing that cant be correcet with update.
  76. Oct 5, 2019
    I just finished this game and it feels fantastic. Get rid of your companion if you really want a soulslike experience. Just like coop in dark souls, companions make the game super easy.
  77. Oct 8, 2019
    Code Vein has really good ideas, specially with the classes, skills, armors, and their potential mix-ups. And the new combat mechanics this game has, provide an interesting approach to the fights.
    Uses the known Souls-like formula and throw in something new and different for the players. This makes the game really interesting and fun to play. Fighting is closer to the feel you get when playing God Eater or Dynasty Warriors, so your hits lack the impact any hit on Dark Souls has. Combat is a bit clunky. But it's really enjoyable, nonetheless. The character improvement is focused around buying skills and mastering them, way more than leveling up. Being over-leveled for an area reduces the mastering rate of skills, for example.

And yes, this title is more lenient than others in the genre, if you go with a companion or play online. Not the case if you play solo. But thanks to the companion and the overall game difficulty, it's perfect for new players of the genre.

The biggest team any player can create, is a 3 people team, the host, the AI companion and a guest player. The AI is pretty competent in combat. So it can help people learning the ropes, protecting them. If you turn off your companion, only one guest can join anyways, but a 2 people team usually is enough to handle everything.

It's a blast to play even with the issues it has (issues they're fixing with patches).

Has one of the best character creators I've seen. Even when there are not so much different clothes and faces to choose from, the big amount of options at your disposal makes up for it.

The story is your generic action anime thingy, and is presented that way, with a lot of videos. It is enjoyable, and you can empathize with the characters, but there's nothing awesome about it. It is spectacular to see some scenes, I should say. It's fun, good enough. I actually expected it to be worse of what happened to be in the end. Thus, no complaints here.

The maps are bland, and close to those old styled Japanese RPGs where you could find a lava island next to an ice island, just because reasons.
    But that doesn't hinder at all the enjoyment, if you don't care that much about it, that is.
    The whole OST is pretty solid, but the combat music you hear the most is not that varied, so it might get boring in the long run.

No other company is able to provide such a world building as From Software. I think it's pretty unfair to expect that from any other Soulsborne. If other companies can deliver, it's worthy of praise, if not, it doesn't matter. And, if you care too much about it, you can play any of the From Software titles again or wait for their next title.

The animations are good, but they're not that fluid compared to other titles. And the game has some clipping and frame-drops here and there.

And clearly, Shift, the developers, had no manpower or money to do a better product than this.
    It's a decent and average game. They are the developers of God Eater 1 & 2 (and their 2015 ports to PS4). Setting the bar there, the work Shift has done here is pretty good.

Japanese voice acting is way better than English, so I would recommend to choose Japanese voices in options. And their chitchat is less annoying when traversing the world.

Info on three of the Japanese voice actresses, for anime fans (to get an idea of what you can find):

If someone has seen New Game!, Rin Murasame is voiced by the Japanese voice actress for Suzukaze Aoba, Takada Yuuki.
    And Coco's voice actress, Mori Nanako, is Kodama Miyako from Yagate Kimi ni Naru/Bloom into You.
    Same happens for Mia Karnstein's voice actress, Kayano Ai, as she is Saeki Sayaka, from that very same series.

Let's go back to the review and wrap it up.

My inner 16 year-old kid is amazed by the game. It's really fun to play, and has nu-metal music in the opening, some story videos, and in the home base. The intro song is Underworld by VAMPS. Check the opening video of the game to get a taste on how much "over the top anime" this game is.

It's like the Dragon's Dogma of the Soulsborne games. Not bad, and not even close to be a masterpiece either. Just a good or decent game. But you're always coming back for more, because it's really entertaining to play.

Might be not the best thing out there, but is undeniably fun, and it keeps me playing. That is the most important thing. Some people can find a gem where others can see just a rock. It's you who can decide what this game is. If you want to try it, there's a demo on PS4 and Xbox One.

As Fry from Futurama said: " I can't stop eating this delicious ooze."

"In the face of certain death, we rise." Code Vein.
  78. Dec 9, 2019
    Code Vein es un juego excelente, tiene una muy buena banda sonora la cual quizás no tenga tantas canciones, pero se siente la dedicación detrás de cada una de éstas, y esto se refleja aún más cuando se mezclan con las cinemáticas las cuales tienen un apartado gráfico destacable para lo que es el estilo.
    lo que es la historia y el rol que cumples tu en esta me simplemente me atrapó y me dan ganas de revivir la historia una vez más.
    En lo que es el diseños de niveles los encontré una bellaza y una locura en algunos otros mapas y la verdad en este punto no podría pedir más, yo diría que el tamaño es justo y necesario en cada uno de estos.
    Las voces no tengo mucho que decir están muy bien y con una actuación muy pulida (en ingles al menos)
    En definitiva Code Vein es un juego bastante infravalorado por las grandes páginas de críticas y esto mismo fue lo que me animó a escribir esta crítica (la cual es mi primera).

Tienes que jugar este titulo antes de que acabe la década yo creo que es algo que se lo merece.

Muchas gracias por leer.
  79. Sep 27, 2019
    Code Vein while the combat can be quiet clunky it makes up for this in its beautiful art style which you can explore further in its in-depth character customization. Its story is quiet unique and engaging.
    However if you are looking for a SoulsBorne like game then this might be to easy for you, it might be because i enjoy doing insane challenge runs in SoulsBorne games and that thats why a normal run isn't hard for me. But besides the clunky combat that i dipped on for a more agile range build and the just a lil bit challenging difficulty, Code Vein is an excellent game.
  80. Sep 27, 2019
    Extremely fun game! Not as good as Soulsborne, but it offers unique elements of its own. The character creator and the Blood Code class systems which allows you to mix and match unique class abilities from multiple classes AFTER you have maxed and mastered a certain Blood Code is very interesting and fun. The game offers a good amount of replay value based on this alone.
  81. Sep 27, 2019
    One of the best games ever released in 2019 has a fun gameplay similar to Dark Souls. The game did have an effort from Bandai Namco. The media, like IGN, is trying to destroy and humiliate Bandai Namco fans
  82. Sep 27, 2019
    It's one of the greatest games that showed potential and it even delivered the anime style of the game was awesome some say it's a dark souls copy but this ain't true it's more than that you'll get to know when ya'll play it
  83. Sep 27, 2019
    I honestly don’t know what the critics problem is. It’s a new it’s bound not be perfect but this game is simply beautiful in all aspects. Great story and characters , awesome character building and did I mention stunning to look at . I’m in love !
  84. Sep 27, 2019
    We immediately notice the enormous work done by the developers for the creation of vein code. Character creation is incredibly satisfying. The jobs system is something very interesting and allows you to take advantage of every gameplay mechanic without starting from scratch, as often happens with dark soul.Although you can bring along a companion to facilitate the game. Nothing preventsWe immediately notice the enormous work done by the developers for the creation of vein code. Character creation is incredibly satisfying. The jobs system is something very interesting and allows you to take advantage of every gameplay mechanic without starting from scratch, as often happens with dark soul.Although you can bring along a companion to facilitate the game. Nothing prevents you from facing the game alone. On the technical side there is some uncertainty. But we must say that it is the first episode. Certainly, in future chapters we will see certain aspects improved. Rated 10. Because of the reviews of the criticism very low. It's a game of 8 and up. Expand
  85. Sep 27, 2019
    Alot better than some reviewers would tell you. But dont go into it expecting dark souls 4 its trying to do it's own thing and very much succeeds.
  86. Sep 29, 2019
    Don’t listen to the minority snowflake rainbow army critics hating on this game, the user scores represent how good the game is. We are now in a era of where the so called critics who rate games are nothing more then agenda driven trash, who rate games based on their politics etc, not on the game itself.
  87. Sep 29, 2019
    I mean I might be not harsh enough but i like it a lot love the anime aspect love that it's not as hard as dark souls not that I don't mind the difficulty in the souls games at all just a nice change to relax a bit more xD
  88. Oct 2, 2019
    The game is fantastic. Haven't been able to put it down and only stopping to sleep (3 hours) and go to work.

Alright, this has been said over and over but the character creation is excellent. Alot of work went into your ability to personalize your own avatar in this broken world, a means of putting an extension of yourself into this game. 10/10 for that. The game play, or to be

The game play, or to be precise, the way you play the game, is dependent on YOU, the player.

You got a multitude of Blood Codes--each of which provides different stats and core builds, and each with its own unique set of buffs and skills.

Then you have the blood Veils which represent your armor and equips, which not only provide you a varied assortment of stat qualities, but a range of parry and drain attacks--which each blood veil looking different from the last.

There are vast weapon classes to choose from as well.
    Not only do you have to match your weapon type for your build, you as the player have the flexibility of switching between weapons and builds on the fly as you need.

One handed sword player? Switch to Prometheus. Two Handed? Switch to Berserker.
    Same goes for the weapons. Just as you see fit.

Upgrade system for weapons and armor. Learning and mastering skills based on your Blood Code.
    Learning and acquiring more blood codes from side stories, items (vestiges) that you collect in the main story maps, or the depths. There are so many ways you can play.

And all that, just so you can meet the challenge of the enemies that will swarm you.
    Even lower leveled enemies can still kill you no matter how you get,

The regret of losing your HAZE is as real as it was when you lose Souls in any game of this genre, and the challenge will either push you to "git gud" or rage quit. Goes to show which type of player I am.

Plus, the fact that it has a story is awesome. Anime styled, same universe as God Eater, lore building. All good things if you like things fantastic.

Love this game! Worth the wait! Going for a platinum trophy!
    Well done!
    Would recommend 10/10!
  89. Oct 6, 2019
    I never properly played a souls game before: I did play bloodborne for a dozen hours and same for the Surge and then stopped, as I really never got into those games for some reason. And it's not really because they're hard really: the difficult part is in knowing the patterns of enemies and where the enemies come from, as a lot of these games LOVE to cheap shot you from blind corners. ButI never properly played a souls game before: I did play bloodborne for a dozen hours and same for the Surge and then stopped, as I really never got into those games for some reason. And it's not really because they're hard really: the difficult part is in knowing the patterns of enemies and where the enemies come from, as a lot of these games LOVE to cheap shot you from blind corners. But still, these games never caught my attention for too long and I feel that I found the reason while playing Code Vein.

Code Vein is essentially a soulslike game: combat is similar with light and heavy hits, stamina is used for swinging and dodging and parrying, haze is your currency and experience, there are giant enemies who will try to kill you in few hits, movement is done by teleportation through the mistles you find and if you die you lose all of your currency and must retrieve it - although it's dropped on the floor rather than being owned by the enemy.

What makes the difference, in my opinion, are the little details: the game reminds a lot of Godseater with its dark apocalyptic scenarios and a grittier, more realistic anime style and overall more punkish themes.

Speaking of anime style, the game has very extensive character customization that allows you to pretty much modify anything - even though you only have two body types and not much of that is customizable - and you can still modify it in-game after you reach the hub which is really nice. On top of that, you have some neat little interactions with the environment, like being able to sit down or make emotes with the speech which is nice and gives your character a little bit of personality.

What makes the game very fun for me was how the class system works: essentially you collect what's called a Vestige which is basically a soul of a Revenant - undead who feeds on blood, just like everyone - and from collecting said Vestiges you gain their blood code which not only gives stats but also gifts which are abilities and perks. The fun part is you can master these gifts and carry over to other classes which allow to create a stronger class, and it's pretty fun to experiment!

The way it works is like this: a blood code has a stats sheet and gifts and weapons power scale depending on the stat of the blood code, so if you have a code who has A in dexterity you'll want to carry a weapon who benefits from dexterity, which is usually swords or bayonets. However, if you want to play a "mage" type of character you'll want to go with a mind code and put long-range gifts in your skill bar, as well as a weapon for it.
    The way gifts works are also interesting: you have a certain amount of Ichor and hitting enemies recharges ichor but also increases the maximum amount of ichor you can have, so you'll have to switch combat styles and if you go to the mistle the ichor resets.
    If you played Godseater you can easily see the similarities too.
    Bottom line, the combat is expansive enough thanks to the many passives and active gifts you can unlock, master and then carry over in order to create the "best class" you want and unlocking them requires a lot of search in the field, which is always welcome.

Another big difference is the NPC who follows you...now granted you can play without them and have true soulslike experience BUT the game is riddles with enemies and you can be overrun fairly easily. Sure it makes the game a lot easier but it's not a bad thing for someone who wants to take a step in the souls-type of games.

And last, but not the least, the story: i will admit it's nothing too special but this is what kind of pushes me further into the game, having a goal and a story alongside characters to interact.
    Like I said I played Bloodborne and the Surge but those games were really lonely experiences and I never felt motivated to go further because "what's the point?". Sure the circumstances are interesting and I love BB design and gothic atmosphere but I'm just a silent character with no reason to walk around and as much as I had fun with that game I really got bored soon.

Here, even if the game isn't stellar all the time, the story pushes me to keep going forward and having character interactions really makes the lonely experience more enjoyable, and even when the game makes you struggle the story helps to give you a good push and go forward and makes me wanna grind to get that extra push forward

I'm NOT saying BB or any Souls game is bad because they lack proper storytelling or characters: I'm just saying that I was more motivated in CV thanks to the story.

With that said, I highly recommend CV if you're wanting to give this genre a try: it's definitely a good game and I didn't have any bugs in my copy, so if you're curious but afraid this type of games CV gives a very noob-friendly experience and a good introduction for future games.

But if you're a hardcore DS and BB player who can play the entire game without being hit once I'd say skip it
  90. Oct 1, 2019
    What a curious game this is.

Coming from the creators of the Monster Hunter rival known as "God Eater", the developers of SHIFT decided to take a stab at the subgenre that FromSOFT had cultivated through their "Souls/Bourne" games. The results are a tad messy, but no-less enjoyable. However, let's address the elephant in the room. IE, the fanservice... It's there. That's all really.
    What a curious game this is.

However, let's address the elephant in the room. IE, the fanservice... It's there. That's all really. If you've played other SHIFT titles, this isn't the first time you've seen it this blatant. My only real complaint is that the majority of said fanservice tends to lean on the garish side, but that's the artist in me rather than a complaint about the sexualization.

Gameplay obviously borrows heavily from FromSOFT's aforementioned "series", complete with gear allocation, basic combat flow, lore distribution, and an emphasis on cautious navigation and heavy exploration in tightly squeezed pathways and areas. But, that's kinda where the similarities end, as the game introduces Blood Codes and Blood Veils to act as the meat of the game.

Blood Veils, plain and simple, are special armor/coats that act as a combination of a tertiary charge attack that steals Ichor (your "skill/magic" pts) from enemies, adds additional attack and defense parameters to your overall stats, grants certain resistances and buffs, and change your parry animation and attack. Some can be used any time, while others may require certain Blood Codes to be in effect.

Which brings us to the Blood Codes themselves. These are effectively "classes", but with a few interesting twists. The first of which is that you can swap them out at any time. They alter base stats, health, resistances, stamina, and even effect the use of weapons and Blood Veils. The crux of their existence, however, is granting skills under the two catagories: passive and active. Active skills are effectively spells and techniques your character uses outside of their weapons (or sometimes, in conjunction with them) in order to buff, debuff, attack, defend, or even lay temporary traps, each of which require a cost of Ichor. Passive skills are exactly what they imply; skills that remain active as long as they are equipped, that require no Ichor cost. The second twist is how skills work. All skills normally are available only to their respective Blood Code, but utilizing a Blood Code long enough with the skills present allows the skills to become available to all Blood Codes, allowing you to use them freely with your preferred blood code. This can allow for a huge diversity of different combinations in terms of skills and Blood Code set ups that can work in a variety of different situations, or fine tune a specific favorite code to suite your playstyle. It's not as easy as just using whatever codes you find however.

At the start of the game, effectively during the tutorial area, you will receive four different Blood Codes that can be used and added to by purchasing "gifts" (Ie, the skills). They are all complete, and only require the player to gain the skills from a save point and utilize the Code long enough. Later Blood Codes, however, will come in fragments, and will require the player to find the missing pieces and put them back together, before they are able to access the more powerful skills.

These two gameplay mechanics alone warrant at least a try from any action-RPG enthusiast, as it grants a huge amount of customization options.

The game on its own merits is actually quite competently made and quite fun, but there are a few issues and nitpicks one might encounter. The first is that, during certain areas that are action intense or scenery intense, the framerate can begin to chug for a moment or two. Another issue tends to be with texture pop-in, which is thankfully seldom. A small gripe can be said about a distinct lack of variety in locals and detailing (with some few exceptions), and most places the player will explore may feel repetitive. Sound, while decently made, may have the music loud enough to drown out conversation. Finally, if you dislike character chatter constantly, it may be best to avoid playing the game with an AI partner (which, due to the unfortunate fact that they are both competent and easily act as a second life bar if you're in trouble, may not be recommended)

The story itself is a complicated mess that doesn't like to share many details upfront, but if you're willing to seek out Blood Code fragments and re-complete them, talk to the large variety of (garish) NPCs that populate the home base and the game's stomping grounds, and do a few side quests, you'll learn just a little bit more about just what the hell is going on.

All-in-all, it's a fun vampiric romp through a post-apocalyptic warzone filled with mutant ash monsters, loaded with customization options, has some neat gameplay mechanics that set itself apart from other "souls-like" games, and has fanservice enough that may cause the easily offended to shy away.
  91. Sep 30, 2019
    Similar to Bloodborne gameplay wise, but way better overall. Game of the Year candidate for me
  92. Sep 29, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I finished to game feeling overwhelmed by the story the characters and the ending it was a magical experience that left me feeling sad that the game was over. 10 out of 10 will play again Expand
  93. Oct 7, 2019
    Wonderful story,customization,scenario and gameplay

A Souls like that everyone must play!!
  94. Nov 6, 2019
    If you’re a Souls/Borne fan and don’t mind Anime, this game will not disappoint.
  95. Oct 15, 2019
    Me gustaría iniciar diciendo que la evolución del personaje es extraña. Comenzando por lo malo, al subir de nivel no puedes asignar parámetros, unicamente suben tus caracteristicas generales. Lo bueno es el sistema escogido para las habilidades. Hay unas 30 clases diferentes y cambiarás entre todas ellas a lo largo de todo el juego, porque cada una de ellas tiene entre 6 y 10 habilidadesMe gustaría iniciar diciendo que la evolución del personaje es extraña. Comenzando por lo malo, al subir de nivel no puedes asignar parámetros, unicamente suben tus caracteristicas generales. Lo bueno es el sistema escogido para las habilidades. Hay unas 30 clases diferentes y cambiarás entre todas ellas a lo largo de todo el juego, porque cada una de ellas tiene entre 6 y 10 habilidades que una vez masterizadas se heredan; es decir, puedes por ejemplo masterizar al mago y luego cambiar a clase great sword conservando los hechizos. Otro punto importante es que hay una enorme cantidad de habilidades de buff, no solo las básicas de aumentar fuerza y defensa por un tiempo determinado sino otras como absorber parte del daño o aumentar notablemente todos tus parametros por 2 minutos con la condición de que cuando el contador llega a cero mueres.

El sistema de combate es realmente bueno por todo lo mencionado previamente. La movilidad está entre bloodborne y souls3 en función del peso que lleves, los movimiendos son fluidos y rara vez te dejan expuesto si estás atento y conoces tu build.

Los mapas gozan de belleza, algunos sencillos y de apariencia lineal, otros los peores put** laberintos que jamás he conocido en 25 años, verdaderas pesadillas que retan a explorar hasta el más minimo barranco y a hacer backtracking hasta desentrañar todo el mapa. Lo malo, que son mapan independientes en vez de una compleja estructura interconectada como la que nos tienen acostumbrados otros títulos como Nioh, Sekiro o la saga souls.

El ritmo entre gameplay y cinemáticas está mal medido, esto es, 2 minutos para presentar un boss y luego 3 para despedirlo es un total ruptura de ritmo. La saga souls fue inteligente midiendo esta situación, el boss caía y solo quedaba el silencio y tus pensamientos, algo que se echa de menos.

La duración... No diré nada sobre esto porque me parece una jugada interesante por parte de los desarrolladores. Cerremos con que la duración es buena.

Por último mencionar que este juego sería uno de los grandes del año si tubiese pvp, pues tiene todas las caracteristicas para ser el mejor soulslike pvp creado hasta la fecha. Una oportunidad de oro desperdiciada que quien sabe si pondrán en un futuro.

En fin, quizás me he dejado cosas pero creo que he mencionado todo lo que, en lo personal, me parece lo más importante. Entré con escepticismo y es gracias a ello que he salido con una buena experiencia, y se lo recomiendo a cualquiera con ganas de un soulslike. Tiene puntos negativos obvios (lo cuales ya he mencionado y ahora ustedes conocen) por lo que consideren comprarlo en todo caso a mitad de precio si eso les aporta tranquilidad.

¡Saludos!
  96. Jan 8, 2020
    Finally picked up a copy and all I can say is it is a good game. I love the anime style and the combat feels pretty good to me. It isn't as difficult as Dark Souls or Bloodeborne but it would be a decent start for those that want to try their hand at those style of games. Character customization is really deep and intricate, probably one of the best in gaming I have seen. My problem withFinally picked up a copy and all I can say is it is a good game. I love the anime style and the combat feels pretty good to me. It isn't as difficult as Dark Souls or Bloodeborne but it would be a decent start for those that want to try their hand at those style of games. Character customization is really deep and intricate, probably one of the best in gaming I have seen. My problem with the game though is my created character has no personality to add to this game's story. It is a personal sin to have a story driven game with character creation and then that character becomes more a background character than a main protagonist. Louis feels more like a main character. When there are conversations during cutscenes my character just stands there looking interested and nodding his head. Let me have a chance to interact during a cutscene so my character can feel like a member of the group and at least have a personality. My other issue is the story is TOO anime. What do I mean? You know those shounen anime where they say friendship is important? Well get ready to hear a lot of "my friends are important", "we're officially friends", and "I'm always there for my friends". I personally am not a fan of this even in anime. No one talks like this except in anime and maybe at parties when your friend has too much to drink. Expand
  97. Oct 4, 2019
    Cons:
    Multiplayer is outright crippled by lag. You will have to dodge ahead of time, every time. The degree of this is random based on the host, but it is always, always there. You cannot play multiplayer the same way you do single player, unless you are hosting. Period.
    Cons:

English dub is horrendous in some instances, namely with player characters. Compared to the Japanese it is frankly-- very bad. Things you hear from NPCs are meaningless and fall flat, and things you hear from player characters can be annoying enough to make you want to pull your hair out. Almost all lines sound fake. There is also poor translation at times; for example, when you die with a certain partner she will simply give a casual "Hello" in Japanese (or Ohaiyo), but the subtitles for this read "Morning, sunshine" and will make you reflexively try to cut her head off, after a particularly painful death. It will teach you to listen to the actual Japanese voice acting, though-- and not just react to the text.

Intentionally frustrating level design in some areas: Exploration is a task that actually requires skill, in this game. This can be a good thing, but you can expect not to have this skill developed, or anticipate a need of it. This will frustrate you until you adapt. The cathedral level is especially bad for this-- but this is not exactly intentionally frustrating; it's more of a forced skill development-- navigation. What is intentionally frustrating, are a specific monster type that rushes forward and knocks you back. This is all it does-- it's a little pinball, essentially. The first time you encounter this is specifically at a point where you are on a small walkway, and the intention is to knock you off of the edge without warning. The next time you encounter this enemy, it will be around a corner and hidden. There are no other enemies to fight here; it is pure traversal. The intent to frustrate the player is even more apparent-- here, because this instance of the enemy will slow your movement for about 20 seconds if it hits you enough. Again, this purely a traversal section-- so the only effect this slow will have on you is to drag out travel time. On top of that, after slogging around with slow on you, having nothing to do except walk, the floor will fall out from under you without warning in the section that immediately follows. HOWEVER-- These are the only intentionally frustrating sections in the game, so this isn't as bad as it sounds. It's not actually a theme of the game.

Multiplayer again: People will call for help in ridiculous circumstances. If you set the game up so that you will join any area where people are calling for help (to help lower level people, of course) you will join matches where a level 80 player is massacring everything in a level 10 section. Why he wanted to drag someone along through that is unfathomable, because he sent out a distress signal while feeling nothing on the same plane of existence as distress, but this is something that people do regularly. Also, if you send out a distress signal, you can expect that a good portion of the time, the other person will come in and combo the boss in a way that there is no challenge whatsoever. Lower level multiplayer is horrifically bad, but higher level stuff is alright.

END OF CONS SECTION

Pros--
    Literally every other thing you could imagine.

Combat is fantastic. Dodges are very quick, attacks are quick, and the number of abilities to use in combat stretches to the horizon.

Progression is incredibly intricate: a metric ton of abilities, passives, and gear to choose from-- and you can switch out your build on the fly, whenever you want. You can go from caster, to two-handed hammer berserker, to stealth assassin ninja-- in three presses of X. (Although, your two weapons and your single armor piece aren't saved, so you do have to switch those out a lot.) You also master skills as you use each class-- allowing you to make nearly infinite custom builds. I'm currently playing a support caster that uses a two-handed greatsword, with the build focused on support magic, strength, and defense. For the previous boss I used a teleporting flame ninja.

There is infinite new game plus, with corresponding multiplayer; and as far as anyone knows, you can level all the way to level 9999.

Every weapon is at least slightly different from every other weapon-- even weapons in the same category, and many weapons are unique outright.

The story with Japanese acting opens very emotional. From there it is kind of like Elfen Lied-- that seems to be the inspiration to a degree. It is a VERY bleak world, but the execution of that idea is kind of middling. It is a good idea, and that will shine through constantly, but the substance and emotional beats of the story are not astounding all the time. It is a number of steps beyond Western storylines-- but the language barrier will make a lot of the emotional strikes glance off of the viewer.
  98. Oct 3, 2019
    Un juego del género Soulsborne con estética anime y muy entretenido, me ha enganchado desde el principio.
    Tiene una caracterización del pj bastante amplia, además de una gran variedad de movimientos y habilidades.
  99. Nov 14, 2019
    I think it is a very good game for those who want to enter the souls genre cautiously, it has a good story, good characters, excellent scenarios , a good difficulty , and a good soundtrack.

The first souls game that I could enjoy and that encourages me to play a darksouls or bloodborne
  100. Nov 20, 2019
    I've always been a huge fan of the Soulsborne series and that's what got me into this game. This game will definitely scratch your itch if that's what you're looking for. But aside from the Soulsborne style gameplay, I feel like the game really lacks a satisfying experience. It just doesn't feel as good to defeat bosses and the general gameplay feels like it lacks the weight that I felt inI've always been a huge fan of the Soulsborne series and that's what got me into this game. This game will definitely scratch your itch if that's what you're looking for. But aside from the Soulsborne style gameplay, I feel like the game really lacks a satisfying experience. It just doesn't feel as good to defeat bosses and the general gameplay feels like it lacks the weight that I felt in Dark Souls. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 69 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 2, 2019
    Code Vein brings a few interesting additions to the recognizable souls-like formula. It's stylish, anime-like and has some cool moves & classes, and lets you bring an AI friend to keep you from feeling lonely while being really useful in combat. Well, most of the time. If you are itching for some quality souls-like experience, try this - it could be just what you were looking for.
  2. CD-Action
    Nov 25, 2019
    Code Vein has its heart in the right place but I really wouldn’t want to spend my time playing stuff that have been already done better somewhere else. If a potential sequel finds its own identity, it would be an interesting addition to the genre. [13/2019, p.58]
  3. Oct 24, 2019
    CODE VEIN is a vast disappointment, miles away from any of From Software's games, and the only thing to save is the blood code system which allows lots of freedom in the character customization.