7.7

1. May 25, 2018
    Too many people are using the excuse 'this is for new players' to defend this disgusting 'remaster'. Most remasters are FOR new players, but that does NOT mean that no work should be put in. This is a 7 year old game for $40 with very minimal changes. This is coming from someone who feels Dark Souls is one of the best games ever made and one of my personal favorites, this 'remaster' is aToo many people are using the excuse 'this is for new players' to defend this disgusting 'remaster'. Most remasters are FOR new players, but that does NOT mean that no work should be put in. This is a 7 year old game for $40 with very minimal changes. This is coming from someone who feels Dark Souls is one of the best games ever made and one of my personal favorites, this 'remaster' is a disgusting lazy cash grab that they KNOW people will buy because it is Dark Souls. That's not OK, and all supporting this port will do is show other publishers that it is OK to release old games almost exactly the same as they were originally and able them as remasters. Now I'm not expecting a remake and complete redesign of the game, but let's compare this remaster to another remaster. Skyrim SE, a game that got a LOT of hate yet was a better remaster by far. It made the game look MUCH better on console that the original did, with fairly substantial graphical updates, something DSR has not done. AND it brought mods to console, something which very few games has done. Now look at DSR, it's Dark Souls, but you can pop multiple souls at once, and roll on O. Oh and moving ivy. It gets 1 point because it's an amazing game, and 1 point because it's not full price ,(however $40 is still far too muc,) please don't support this game so this doesn't happen in the future. just because it's Dark Souls does NOT mean it's good. Expand
  2. Sep 14, 2018
    Im playing this game as someone who has over 200hrs in Bloodborne and beat the core game of DS3 but not Ringed City or Ashes of Ariendel...

Dark Souls aged like a corpse and not like a wine. I can appreciate the foundations that it brought to its successors but the game its self is just not the masterpiece the kool-aid drinking fanboys want the world to believe. Getting caught on the environment corners while getting pegged by enemies are not assets of a world breaking classic. Cheesing a dragon by shooting at its tail to move forward does not make me as a player think "wow this is top tier enemy design". Clunky combat, spamming backstabs, and poorly "remastered textures" that look like a copy paste of 2012 without polishing all of the above stated makes me feel like I just flushed $40 down the abyss with Artorious and the rest. I know people see Demons Souls as the unpolished "Deer Hunter" to the Dark Souls "Silence of the Lambs" but lets be honest, the Soulsborne archetype gets gud with Bloodborne, when we all aren't hiding behind our shields and spamming and cheating a game that will cheat you with cheap deaths, when combat is fluid and exhilarating and defeating bosses feels rewarding rather than just a feeling of relief to be done with it all.
  3. Oct 2, 2018
    The laziest, greediest and most cynical remaster I've ever seen. Unfortunately it's a remaster of the most glorious game ever made. Over the years the community gathered a huge pile of ideas how to improve the game, how to make an "Ultimate Edition". Bamco included only a handful of these ideas and this remaster is far, far from ultimate. In fact the changes are barely perceptible. I couldThe laziest, greediest and most cynical remaster I've ever seen. Unfortunately it's a remaster of the most glorious game ever made. Over the years the community gathered a huge pile of ideas how to improve the game, how to make an "Ultimate Edition". Bamco included only a handful of these ideas and this remaster is far, far from ultimate. In fact the changes are barely perceptible. I could safely ignore this abomination if I knew we'll get a true remaster in the future. But if it turns out this is the only remaster of Dark Souls we'll ever get, I'll hate Bamco beyond my grave. Expand
  4. Jun 24, 2018
    As a guy who would credit DaS as the game that singularly reignited my love of video gaming, it's hard to see it prostituted for a quick buck in such a lazy and disrespectful manner.

1. It looks worse. The textures are bland, dull and plasticy. The original game was grainy and weathered in such a beautifully rustic and authentic way. It had charm/atmosphere for days. But, all this dark beauty has been downgraded for lifeless, washed out visuals to save on CPU, maybe. I hope so, because if this WAS an artistic choice then they really **** up. Big time. The armour, shields especially look more like toys you'd use with a little miniture figureen you'd play with as a kid. It looks that bad. Really dissapointed. A few torches and some weeds that sway about a bit are o consolation for what it's taken away.

2. The price is astronomically high for what is a remaster with more cons than pros. You're getting very little for 35 pounds if you're a veteran,  especially. If you are a newbie then you won't know you're being stiffed. But I'll just say this to any newbs reading this now: get an old Xbox 360, download it or get the original on disk and play that. You'll save cash and you'll experience the clunky, yet beautiful original as it was without getting **** in the arse. Suffer through its flaws, because nothing beats your first run of this masterpiece. Don't spoil all its charm by shelling out for a shiny, superficial facimile of a masterpiece. Put up with **** framerate here and there and just go for it.

3. From/Bandai/Industry reviewers should all be ashamed of themselves for selling us this **** But, they're all bound by one motivating factor: money. You're money, to be precise! I spent mine so you don't have to. Follow step 2 to avoid feeding this mockery of an industry practice. Folks saying "don't buy it if you don't like it". Well, genius, I bought to see what it was like. Now, I got to see it for my damn self I can hate on it and pre-warn others as to its lack of true value.
  5. Jun 1, 2018
    This game used to be my favorite game of all time but I had a feeling that it would feel old and unresponsive (but I still bought it hehe). It is as it says, remastered, but this doesn't mean that it feels like the first year I played it. if you haven't bought this game... my recomendation is DONT. Its a really old game for $40 bucks. Maybe when it's $19.99 it will be worth it.

Its

Its probably a 7 for fans and a 5-6 for new comers but I'm giving it a 0 because I feel that $40 bucks is a d!#%c move.
  6. May 27, 2018
    It's not a remaster, it's just a port with almost full price. Shame. Look at the shadow of the colossus, it's remake, looks awesome and like modern game and it's even cheaper.
  7. Jun 22, 2018
    For anyone who wasn’t sure, remaster means, “hey look we want your money with minimal effort and expenditure”. Of course the majority of the programmed drone gaming community fall for it every time. This is just another pathetic cash grabber, aimed at the loyal yet brain dead fans of yet another classic game, that should’ve been just left in a by gone era. Put this in the trash can, withFor anyone who wasn’t sure, remaster means, “hey look we want your money with minimal effort and expenditure”. Of course the majority of the programmed drone gaming community fall for it every time. This is just another pathetic cash grabber, aimed at the loyal yet brain dead fans of yet another classic game, that should’ve been just left in a by gone era. Put this in the trash can, with other classic cash grab remastered rubbish like, Skyrim and Shadow of the Colossus, to name a couple, if you’re going to buy these rip offs, just wait 6 months, for the 70% of sale when it’s somwwhat worth it. Don’t pay full price to these parasite devs and publishers. Expand
  8. Jul 12, 2018
    Laziest remaster i ever seen. Сomplete rip of on fan's feelings. Just compare with the Shadow of Collosus for the same price! Full remake vs 1080р and 60 fps LOL
  9. Aug 19, 2018
    I compared the ps4 remaster to my ps3 version first hand on my tv switching between the two versions. The remaster is atrocious looking and is literally missing textures.

Sure, the remaster It's 60 fps but they washed out the details and lighting. The frame rate now drops in areas it never dropped before like certain boss fights. It's UGLY. Everything looks sanded down. Such an amazing bummer as this is one of my favorite games of all time. A seriously botched job.
  10. May 29, 2018
    Can't be even considered a remaster.
    On computer DS-fix did the same for free and on day one.
    They put so little effort in this remaster that its full price it's just ridiculous.
  11. May 29, 2018
    Utterly Lazy cash grab with almost no effort put in, washed out textures, visual downgrades sacrifices that were not needed sacrifices for running at 60 fps in this day and age. Forcing owners of prepare to die edition to spend $20 in order to use multiplayer features is disgusting. Bandai Namco are milking a minor touch up of a beloved classic and they should be ashamed.
  12. May 26, 2018
    Are you kidding? The same game with even worse graphics for the same price and with same bugs? How much time did developers spent on this "remaster" that should be called port? 3 nights? Trash! Shame on greedy developers. (the original game is masterpiece)
  13. Jun 4, 2018
    I cant say anything positive about dark souls, and i dont know why 1 people would this rate 10 out of 10. this game is absolutly **** in its "balancing". i play almost every RPG, but this is too much of a bad joke. its not even hard to hit a an enemy or something else, its cuz of you get fired and attacked from all sides, it just feel "unfair" und i dont have any fun with it. i know if imI cant say anything positive about dark souls, and i dont know why 1 people would this rate 10 out of 10. this game is absolutly **** in its "balancing". i play almost every RPG, but this is too much of a bad joke. its not even hard to hit a an enemy or something else, its cuz of you get fired and attacked from all sides, it just feel "unfair" und i dont have any fun with it. i know if im bad, but this is not the case i try hard everything but this is the most ridiciouless game design ive ever seen.
    To be honest, dark souls 3 is better in any case and i had lots of more fun.. and ye what should i say? thats why i play games, to have fun.
  14. May 30, 2018
    The only problem with this remaster is it's price. If you are not going to put an effort in updating graphics, controls, maybe something more, then just make an adequate price tag. This remaster is being sold for 40€. Just for comparison, God of War is 60€, which is a completely new, current gen game. For even more comparison, there is Shadow Of The Colossus remake with modern graphics,The only problem with this remaster is it's price. If you are not going to put an effort in updating graphics, controls, maybe something more, then just make an adequate price tag. This remaster is being sold for 40€. Just for comparison, God of War is 60€, which is a completely new, current gen game. For even more comparison, there is Shadow Of The Colossus remake with modern graphics, updated controls and even some new minor locations and items. For 30€.
    What can DS remaster offer? 60fps? It would be ridiculous if 8 years old game would not run at 60 on the new hardware. 4K? Again, it's an 8 years old game from the past gen. Online? They should have fixed that for free 8 years ago. Updated visuals? Nope (I don't think some minor lightning changes and slitghly better textures should be even listed here as a feature). Bugs? C'mon, this remaster even contains the bugs from the original game. So... 40€ for what?
    P.S. Dark Souls as a game itself is a great game (at least 9/10), one of my favorites.
  15. Jul 1, 2018
    I would give this a 7, maybe even an 8 or a 9 if everything was done well and PVP worked but as the developers need to get the message that a "remaster" of this poor quality is unacceptable, especially at this price point when we are getting remasters like Crash and spyro TRILOGIES for cheaper or the fantastic Shadow of the collosus which are remastered properly and now just graphicalI would give this a 7, maybe even an 8 or a 9 if everything was done well and PVP worked but as the developers need to get the message that a "remaster" of this poor quality is unacceptable, especially at this price point when we are getting remasters like Crash and spyro TRILOGIES for cheaper or the fantastic Shadow of the collosus which are remastered properly and now just graphical updates but game changing improvements over the originals. I don't expect Darksouls to be done that well but I do expect it to be above a noticeable level, particularly so I don't notice the flaws with any glitches or broken aspects from the base game to be fixed.

It also goes beyond just a poor overhaul but certain things simply being broken now, such as PvP which is unbalanced, unfair and being taken advantage of in the worst of ways. Very little is done, even on the surface to warrant the price here and DS fix was a much better option for free on PC. Here on console this is simply a HD port with little done to fix bugs, revamp areas or rework some of the poor aspects of the game. There is many quality of life things that could have been added from DS3 that feel odd to have been left out at this price point.

If you can find a PC code for the original just buy that and download DS fix, modders done it better for free.

It pretty fun and some nice nostalgia until the longer you play and you realize just how little has been done, how bad some of the mid game to late game areas are compared to souls standards since BB/DS3 and just how ridiculously broken PVP is.

If Demon souls is up for a remaster which I'm sure it will be, then the devs need to get the message that they must do better, please don't reward this laziness.
  16. May 27, 2018
    Here is why users rate the game low... it costs them money (unlike critics who review less fairly when they are showered in free content), doesn't really honor previous players who paid for it once. Basically you can't trust reviewers for games because they will rate a game high if they are given money on top of free perks, and the dedicated players get screwed the hardest like they alwaysHere is why users rate the game low... it costs them money (unlike critics who review less fairly when they are showered in free content), doesn't really honor previous players who paid for it once. Basically you can't trust reviewers for games because they will rate a game high if they are given money on top of free perks, and the dedicated players get screwed the hardest like they always have this generation of games. The industry is screwed if we keep letting it run this way where the players of the games are the least important people. Expand
  17. May 29, 2018
    Very very bad Remaster, or shoul I say bad port. A real shame. Greedy editors and lazy devs don't deserve your money, not a single buck. This is the same old game whith the same old bugs, We waited 7 years for that, honestly ?
    The game looks bland and dull, the lighting and the ambient occlusion are very bad, overall it is worse than the original with the Dsfix mod .
    Check the comparison
    Check the comparison videos everywhere, it's obvious.
    In its current state, it's just a patched and downgraded version in order to reach the 60 fps (not always), so stay away from this digital s..t.
  18. May 25, 2018
    nada cambio, es el mismo juego con un parche de 2 días de trabajo al precio de un juego nuevo, no tiene sentido ni vale la pena
  19. May 27, 2018
    mismo juego , mismos bugs , pero ahora a 40 dolares , no lo valen , una compra mal echa , echa solo para sacar dinero a los borregos de la comunidad toxica de dark souls
  20. Jun 8, 2018
    Dark Souls = cheaters, cheaters = Dark Souls!
    1st week = 7 out of 10 cheaters,
    2st week = 8 out of 10 cheaters,
    3st week = 10 out of 10 cheaters,
    no playability, 100% disappointment.....
  21. Oct 10, 2019
    Los fans tienen que aprender a no confiarse de Sony y sus payasadas de promesas. Desgraciadamente, todos somos PIPEROSSSS!!!!
  22. Nov 8, 2020
    It’s too hard :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
  23. Sep 28, 2020
    From software isn’t a game developers, they are a company dedicated to trolling a fan base that wants to be cheated out of progress at every turn. I love a good challenge, but dark souls is a hack.
  24. Dec 25, 2019
    The original dark souls was a really good and well designed game with good level design and fitting difficiulty. Here they lazily decided to only do a remaster even though a remake couls have been very fitting for some of the games big flaws like the really buggy backstabbing mechanic that ruins a lot of the mutiplayer. A remaster though, focuses more on keeping the game as it is andThe original dark souls was a really good and well designed game with good level design and fitting difficiulty. Here they lazily decided to only do a remaster even though a remake couls have been very fitting for some of the games big flaws like the really buggy backstabbing mechanic that ruins a lot of the mutiplayer. A remaster though, focuses more on keeping the game as it is and making the graphics or basic functions better and less buggy.
    Even though they did some of this they also kept and created many bugs while changing the healing system in multiplayer but not changing some of the most obvious gamebreaking bugs..
    The base game is still good but as a remaster this dramatically failed.
  25. Jul 5, 2020
    Una obra maestra en mi opinion, excelente jugabilidad, historia intrigante, un mundo oscuro y profundo, combates contra jefes monstruosos e inolvidables. Como juego es excelente, pero pudieron aprovechar para hacer un poco más de contenido.
    Y una cosa más: NO ES TAN DIFICIL, solo requiere un poco de tiempo y esfuerzo.
  26. Jul 9, 2020
    The game is hard for the sake of it.
    Not actually that fun
    The story is poorly told
    The graphics are quite average
    I really do not see what the hype is all about
    Go play Devil May Cry or Dante's Inferno. Way better games
  27. Dec 9, 2020
    Plz note this may have spoilers. i am gonna be honest i did not like this game at all. It sucked i have played all dark souls games and loved them all but this is crap. i beat the game and can say it is not a fine wine. The areas are boring and majority of bosses suck the only decent boss in the game is ornestein and smough. The final boss is trash gwynn is bad the only good thing aboutPlz note this may have spoilers. i am gonna be honest i did not like this game at all. It sucked i have played all dark souls games and loved them all but this is crap. i beat the game and can say it is not a fine wine. The areas are boring and majority of bosses suck the only decent boss in the game is ornestein and smough. The final boss is trash gwynn is bad the only good thing about the fight is the pling pling plong. what i hate is that once you beat the game it takes you automatically into ng plus which is dumb. the npcs suck the only good one is lautrec. Also wtf is bed of chaos. What kind of remaster is this sh££ the graphics look the same and all the buggy sh££ is still there. What the f is this crap i do not recommend. People complain about ds2 but this sh££ is 10 times worse. Also a boss fight called four kings for some reason makes you fight 6. The only somewhat decent area is freaking anor londo everywhere else sucks. tomb of the giants is trash lost izalith is trash senns fortress is trash practically the entire game is trash. This remaster is terrible. Also gwyndolin is the defintion of hallway simulator. The ai of the enemies is retarded and who the f made blightown as an area. 70 percent of all the bosses are all reskins wtf. one thing i hate about ds 1 is that you cannot teleport to bonfires unless you reach the halfway point and beat ornestein and smough and the firekeeper is retarded. to conclude i despise this game. Expand
  28. Jan 8, 2021
    sa va dau la muieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sa mio sugeti
    va iau familia an pula
  29. Jan 13, 2021
    What a **** game ,what a **** controls .Dont play this game unless you want to get cancer

Generally favorable reviews - based on 53 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 31, 2018
    Rather than a remaster, it's a port. It will entertain mainly rock fans who want to have a complete collection on a new console or complete Souls novices. [Issue#287]
  2. Sep 26, 2018
    Dark Souls Remastered doesn't make any dramatic changes to its original release several years ago. The struggle to progress is constant, but just as every moment could be another death, it could also be a moment of great triumph and self-accomplishment. Playing at 60fps makes me wonder how I ever managed to play at half of that rate several years ago. It's a beautiful remaster, even if it isn't a complete overhaul. It's a great entry for newcomers or a great walk down memory lane for fans of its original release.
  3. Aug 26, 2018
    Dark Souls Remastered has aged well, despite the progress of its successors. Newcomers might fight it abrasive, but it is still worth a pickup for old fans and new alike. Here’s to a release of Demon’s Souls Remastered.