8.3

1. Jul 22, 2015
    It's nothing special and not worth the money. The new additions are just not balanced as good as the old characters and the game gets stale soon. It's just the same over and over again. No go.
  2. Oct 9, 2015
    Not my favorite as DMC 3 and the new DMC are both my favorites. The gameplay is okay, but the targeting is a bit loose. The bosses and a few enemies in the latter stages are particularly cheap though. Playing as Vergil is still awesome as well as Trish. Bloody Palace salvages the rest of the campaign. Overall, it's not my favorite, but it's playable.
  3. Feb 5, 2019
    the game is old. and it didnt aged very well for me. its fun as hell as Dante, but, sorry nero, not as fun as the main character.
    the bosses are cool, but there are like 4 of them. and you have to play it as nero, than as dante, and then as lady, then as trish, then as virgil (if you decide to play the dlcs)
    the best part for me is the aewsomely fun wepons, and that is the part that
    the best part for me is the aewsomely fun wepons, and that is the part that makes nero not so fun for me. there is 3 weapons for him. lookat the dante's pandora's box. this only weapon has more weapns on it than the whole nero's arsenal.
    but for an afternoom's fun it's pretty enjoyable tho
  4. Nel
    Apr 27, 2017
    Great game for anyone interested at all in the DMC serie. The game has great graphics, and the controls works great. The story is nothing spectacular, but it can be funny. There is plenty of replayability to improve your score or get more moves, so you can literally spend 50 plus hours in this game if you are a high achiever
  5. Jul 23, 2017
    Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition certainly was a surprise for many waiting for any news of the beloved series. Going through a remaster of the original three games, a reboot version that many fans threw away and it seemed that the series would be in a state of limbo forever. With DmC and DMC4 getting remasters, its clear that Capcom is testing the waters to see which version is more wanted.Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition certainly was a surprise for many waiting for any news of the beloved series. Going through a remaster of the original three games, a reboot version that many fans threw away and it seemed that the series would be in a state of limbo forever. With DmC and DMC4 getting remasters, its clear that Capcom is testing the waters to see which version is more wanted. So how does DMC4 SE hold up?

Well it's not much of a difference from the previous. Consoles can play it at 60 FPS to the previous console's 30 FPS, which is paramount for a hack n slash game, the graphics, three new characters, new costumes for Nero and Dante and some features like Turbo mode and that's it. With three new characters, I was expecting far more interesting features than what is now given, as Trish, Lady and Vergil join the fray, making DMC4 have 5 characters. While this sounds great on paper, it struggles greatly with modern times AND having depth. DMC3 SE got away with being better with adding Vergil because Vergil had great movesets and abilities to compensate. Vergil in DMC4 is a upgraded version of this and is one of best fighters in the series when looking at damage output mixed with combos. His concentration meter is perfect for his calm and coolness and he deals massive damage when in his Devil Trigger form.

Nero and Dante stay the same, and while I respect Capcom for staying consistent to the original as a result, the limitations of the past rears its ugly head. The closer part of a decade for DMC4 does not always hold up well; the backtracking and camera issues are still there and lazily designed. Dante still is limited unlike 3 and the reboot version and Nero still only has his original abilities. Trish and Lady are two halves to Dante's whole, where one lacks in one major component that dramatically afflicts the game with a restricted playstyle as opposed to a versatile one. Trish focuses more on melee and Lady more on guns and as result are more like gimmicks than actually balanced styles like Vergil. It's an absolute shame this is even allowed because of how long this wait was for a remastered version, it honestly feels like Trish and Lady were cut ideas that never made it to the final product release in 2008.

Despite the additions, DMC4SE struggles on rearing its old problems and refusing to fix them for players. Fans will buy this and play this with no problem, but for those that still have not played the series, playing this will give you an impression that it's incomplete or lacking. Not reworking the story for Vergil in DMC3SE was acceptable, it wasn't meant to be the case back then due to the issues the original release faced with its difficulty, but with 7 years and plenty of money, Capcom lazily have compiled the game, reskinned it with extra goodies and did nothing for the issues it previously had.
    DMC4SE is still a good deal and is a good game, but it's definitely has seen its age and contrasting that with the new characters that mostly feel gimmicky than actually good and fully versatile you can't help to feel if Capcom is playing its fanbase's heart strings for a new entry in the series with a potential cash grab.
  6. Mar 6, 2019
    Too button mashy for me. Gameplay lacks variety. I like the graphical design of the game though. CAPCOM PLEASE REMASTER MEGA MAN X.
  7. Mar 20, 2019
    At last, Devil May Cry that is actually playable in 2019. Ironically the game remains almost completely the same but these small changes are what make difference. New character Nero is perfect blend of Dante’s useful abilities. Nero’s unique trick, right hand, is fun and strategically brilliant. He can grab any enemy and do some super technique that almost always useful. Dante is stillAt last, Devil May Cry that is actually playable in 2019. Ironically the game remains almost completely the same but these small changes are what make difference. New character Nero is perfect blend of Dante’s useful abilities. Nero’s unique trick, right hand, is fun and strategically brilliant. He can grab any enemy and do some super technique that almost always useful. Dante is still jack of all trades with his numerous completely useless weapons and styles. Dante skillset remains almost unchanged, the only impactful novelty is that devil trigger now amplifies skills (yes, spam stinger to win). Guns are still useless (obviously expect for the enemies that can’t be killed without guns). Enemy design is perfect: DMC4 features both cannon fodder to mess around and feel godlike and demons that requires specific smart approach. Bosses design is splendid too, they are not irritating perfect dodge machines but rather think before you act challenges.

What is more important for me is that game finally became fluid and dynamic. Moronic target and dodge system somehow is irritating no more. Banal “Speed” upgrade makes me say wow. Air combat is finally achievable by Nero. Crosshair around target enemy is example of oh so simple but so valuable improvement.

Story wise DMC4 is good old over-the-top vulgar Devil May Cry. And it’s not a good thing for me personally because I hate this total disregard for realism, corny character of Dante and stupid goofy plots. Yet I learned to ignore it and for most of the people… well many even like it so what do I know. Though I know one thing - I like Nero. He seems to me far more plausible than clown Dante.

In the end, DMC4 is the first DMC that I put ahead (slasher wise) of God of War series. But it’s still worse than masterpiece DmC: Devil May Cry. Why? Because DmC features ten times more moves, percent of useful moves is far greater there (just remind you that 80% of Dante skills in DMC4 are still garbage), air combat is better and DmC has normal dodge system. But all in all, DMC4 is the game I wholeheartedly like and enjoyed playing (Special Edition graphic enhancement were a great help too).

8. Apr 21, 2020
    Oh HD remastered games where'd we be without you? This year I truly believe that Capcom was testing to see which people enjoyed more. DMC or the original Devil May Cry franchise. I previously reviewed the remastered DMC game, and I loved it. I do enjoy the reboot. Playing Devil May Cry 4 Remastered or whatever the **** they call it seems a bit lacking in the content area. Where are myOh HD remastered games where'd we be without you? This year I truly believe that Capcom was testing to see which people enjoyed more. DMC or the original Devil May Cry franchise. I previously reviewed the remastered DMC game, and I loved it. I do enjoy the reboot. Playing Devil May Cry 4 Remastered or whatever the **** they call it seems a bit lacking in the content area. Where are my manors? Hello gamer B-rod here your demon hunting, duster coat wearing gaming reviewer to talk about my opinion on Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition.

Devil May Cry 4 has a story that has two characters Dante everyone's favorite badass quipping demon killing Son of Sparta, and Nero no ones favorite whiny complaining little girly man who cares about this chick who I think said a grand total of five words in the game. This game reminds me so much of Metal Gear Solid 2 with showing fans Dante, and having him present but ultimately having this kinda annoying character be the main focus. The story is about a good 4-6 hours long with some obvious twist and interesting villains. My problem with Nero is not that he can be whiny or has some bad dialog, but in the fact they make him act too much like Dante. Fans of the series all love Dante and in my opinion if you are going to make a game with a new character we don't need another Dante. For ****s sake his design is so close to Dante you could fool people saying that they are related. The story is crazy fun with its anime style of dialog and villains that monologue to death. (literally) Let us be honest who comes to Devil May Cry for the story? Quite a few actually myself included, but still everyone is clearly into...the graphics.

Like the transition? Me neither; yet that is how my reviews are structured so yeah. The game looks better than the 360, PS3 version, but not by much. I say it is because it didn't have much to improve on honestly. The only thing they did was make the colors pop more, which for a stylized game like this it is all you really need to do. The game sound is exactly what I said before anime as **** The game has always had corny dialog fans of the PS2 games can appreciate that. I personally love the soundtrack to this game. I have no clue what they call the music they play but this industrial fast paced metal music sounds ****ing awesome while you are hacking demons to bits. I always loved how this game has a M rating when it is very tame on the blood factor. Yes there is blood, and a couple of bad no, no words but nothing that in my opinion counts for a M rating.

The gameplay however is Devil May Cry. For those who may not be aware it is a fast paced hack n slash with timing based combos and no blocking. The fighting is varied enough with the enemies that when they mix up the enemies it brings a new feeling to the fighting. I love how each character feels different. Dante plays how you'd expect very focused on sword, gun and just weapon play. Nero combat is more focused on his demon arm which does cool ass **** with a simple press of the circle button. Vergil who is a playable character now is primarily sword based, and Trish and Lady are mainly gun based combat. The thing that makes me sad while Vergil, Trish and Lady are playable characters you just go through the story without cutscenes. I would really have had hoped for a individualized story even if it was only two hours apiece just to make it seem a bit more worth the 24 dollars. The games biggest and well known sin is the second half of the game is just the first half backwards. That is a huge disappointment and a real cheat, I didn't lose too much enjoyment out of my experience.

Overall to the folks who are huge Devil May Cry fans who plays that **** on the hardest difficulty well this game is for you. If you play every character, level them up all the way while on the hardest difficulty you have a good 20 hour game. Of course hardcore DMC player you already own it, but what about the casual Devil May Cry fans or non-fans? I'd say wait, you aren't missing anything special see if it becomes a free game with PS Plus or Live, or if it becomes a disk definitely rent this game it is fun enough for a rental. I have a hard time recommending non-hardcore fans to own this because the game has little replay value to it. I give it a 3/5. I leave with a question I personally have. Is Capcom going to make a DMC 2 or Devil May Cry 5?
  9. Oct 23, 2018
    O jogo possui muitos problemas o que estraga sua diversão e gameplay.
    A camera e pessima a jogabilidade não consegue fluir em certos momentos... A musica acaba sendo enjoativa e a camera sua posição varias vezes desfavoravel me fez ter dor de cabeça, tive que parar quase de 10 em 10 min para poder prosseguir jogando.
    Os graficos são bonitos (para a epoca), a hostoria otima e os
    O jogo possui muitos problemas o que estraga sua diversão e gameplay.
    Os graficos são bonitos (para a epoca), a hostoria otima e os personagens cativantes e você fica querendo saber mais... porem esses problemas na jogabilidade que e limitada deixam o jogo em pessima posição.
    Os graficos são bonitos porem parece que a Capcom só queria fazer um devil maycry e pronto sem observar os detalhes, esquecendo que o fã gosta dos detalhes minuciosos...olha uma sena e diz p#%* que foda! Mas deixou a desejar... isso não e PS1 ou PS2! o personagem toma espadada e sai um esguicho de sangue de filme brasileiro de terror de 4º categoria e não a ferida (pelomenos uma ferida sicatrizando, etc) pessimo defeitos... Minha nota só não foi vermelho pois a historia e os personagens me fizeram querer continuar jogando....
  10. Feb 7, 2019
    muito repetitivo enjoa rapido !! mas tem combos legais !! a os 3 primeiros jogos são bem melhores !! ainda bem que peguei barato essa versao pq nao valeu a pena !!!!
  11. Jun 23, 2018
    Main characters

Nero: Nero is for the most part simple. Nero's Revolver isn't something special, his normal shots suck and his charged shot is awesome and very effective. Nero's sword is pretty easy to use, however it has some serious questionable input choices. For starter, a move that requires you to do backward-forward and attack is frustrating and it comes to actually use it in
    Main characters

Nero: Nero is for the most part simple.
    actually use it in battle. 2nd is the awkward delay needed to perform a certain moves. One GOOD Ariel move requires
    HALF a second delay to initiate it. 3rd is that some moves are just too damn hard to pull off.
    One is "Table Hopper" which is the only way to properly dodge in this game requires a millisecond reaction time -_-.
    To top this off, Nero's basic moves are ...slow... UNLESS you hit the "Exceed" in just the right time to make it more
    efficient to use. again it requires an insane muscle memory to "Exceed" Nero's sword in every hit.
    Nero's DT isn't a big deal, that goes for his "evil bringer" which isn't something special TBH.

Dante: I played DMC3, and Dante was really fun to play with. He was simple to use, easy to learn some of the advance stuff
    and he never felt too hard to play with him. DMC4 brings with with a simple copy and paste and thinks that stuffing with you
    with 6 weapons is a piece of cake. In DMC4 , Dante feels slow as well even on Turbo, and his weapons aren't that great against
    some enemies.
    His style system in DMC3 was simple to use because they didn't choose to throw you everything and rather
    choose you style per-mission, obvious design choice. In DMC4, you always feel like you need to switch style because you need to
    use a specific move that is really useful and mostly end up pressing the wrong style making you look like a fool.
    In DMC3, most average players will choose Tricker because it allows you to dodge easily without struggling to found where
    your joystick needs to be in order to perform a roll animation. In DMC4 , you're always want to make the best out of Dante,
    but his so hard to make him useful in most boss fights that I would rather stick to Nero.

Vergil : The only character with an efficient moveset and fast pace compare to others. Because his not much changed in DM3,
    his DMC4 is easy to use and have a little understand of how to perform so sick moves. yes , he is OP compare to others, but this
    game very hard in an unforgiving situations.

Enemies
    most generic enemies are fun to combo, until you stumble upon some enemies with a serious flawed design choice. for starters , alot of them like to block you attacks with giant ice or a shield.
    some enemies have annoying super armor during their attack animations. some just don't want to be "comboed" any-longer so they
    be like **** you ,take my attack instead".
    And lets not forget the damn flying swords or the stupid plant enemies that like to fuse with a generic ones.
    When they fuse, the **** plant with randomly wave his noodle arms regardless of the situation.
    And if you think that's enough how about creating one of the most annoying enemies in the game known as blitz.
    This **** doesn't like being punched in the face, so every time you try to slash him you get zapped by his lighting
    armor. so guess what you have to shoot the bastard to make his shield weak enough. Uh , but wait, he dashes around like an ****
    then randomly popping up on you just to get zapped by his lighting armor. And when he gets into rage mode, you're ****ed. He'll
    make you waste your entire DT bar and half of you life will be depleted for sure. **** the enemy design choice in this game.
    I would much rather prefer the enemies in DMC3 than this ****

Boss fights (and movement in general): boss fights are actually pretty fun to play against... that's when you realize the game
    has some serious issues when it comes to movement in general. alot of times you will need to use Ariel combos to damage the
    enemy. when it's time to back off because the enemy decides to use super move, you will find that there's no move to simply dodge
    or dash around. Unless you decide you play as good old Trickster Dante, you will realize that none of the other characters
    have such feature. I don't know about you , but if a hack and slash game doesn't provide me with a good way to dodge
    enemy incoming attacks, then I consider you a bad hack and slash game.
    In DMC3, most average players would pick Trickster style because the basic roll is ultimately useless and Vergil can
    use dark slayer style to teleport away from the enemy if needed (But in DMC4 he can't).
    So often I personally find myself struggling to run away from the blazing **** that shouts "fIrE" like an idiot.
    Overall It's no wonder why the games feels so unpolished unlike his older brother DMC3. And the high skill gap is ridiculous from what it was in DMC3 as well. That's why I give this game a low score. because I'm sick of finding flaws in a game that really looks good.
  12. Dec 24, 2020
    Хорошее переиздание отличной игры, в 2020 конечно некоторые механики смотрятся устаревшими, но удовольствие от игры я получил. Постановка все такая же великолепная, персонажи колоритные, а от местных пейзажей все так же отвисает челюсть.Хорошее переиздание отличной игры, в 2020 конечно некоторые механики смотрятся устаревшими, но удовольствие от игры я получил. Постановка все такая же великолепная, персонажи колоритные, а от местных пейзажей все так же отвисает челюсть.
  13. Dec 5, 2020
    DMC is one of my favorite hack-n-slash series since the PS2 days,

DMC is one of my favorite hack-n-slash series since the PS2 days,

i have played and platinumed every one of them. So i can safely say that this one is fun if you play on easy or normal, because if you play on Dante Must Die it becomes absolutely abhorrent. From the worst lock-on system i have ever experienced since it seems to be completly random, to a camera that needs to be moved away from the enemies to "pacify" them, and a preposterous overtuning in mob aggro. Also the game seems like it was made with only Nero in mind and his Buster, for when you switch to Dante all of his stances seem useless except for Distort Real Impact and RoyalGuard distortion and canceling, when it comes to style points, especially since this last one is really hard to do and some say it requires close to a hundred hours to do consistently. Also maybe it's just me but the way you change stances could be handled better since i need to "stop" moving for a second to change stances. Regarding the Bloody Palace i just think that if some characters have Super suits then they should all have them and it should be 50 floors for example, its too lengthy and strenuous ,also on a more personal note, dying on floor 99 can break someone.

The bosses could be a bit more polished as well, for example Berial (in DMD) that's basically a melee only boss sometimes spams that aoe explosion, when in other modes he seems to only use it when he changes "phase" after being stunned. Some boss fights are well designed, like Credo for example.

The other aspects are positive, good graphics for the time, awsome rock music, and decent story. All in all it could have a better score for the superfluous expirience, but if you delve deep into difficulties and to platinum the game you get slapped across the face with the blantant flaws of the game.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 28 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 21, 2015
    The combat system is still great, and the new characters are a good addition, but Capcom didn't work too much on the graphics, nor on the structural problems of this fourth chapter in the action stylish saga created by Kamiya. Still a must have for action fans who didn't play the original, of course.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Sep 5, 2015
    While the game feels padded and the animation creaky, DMC4's crisp combat wins through. [Sept 2015, p.95]
  3. Aug 17, 2015
    The game is as fun and challenging as it was back in the day, and the updates and additions are sweet enough to make even stingy DMC fans shell out.