8.3

1. Jun 23, 2015
    With 5 playable characters DMC4SE has the highest number of playable characters even surpassing Bayonetta2.
    Featuring technical combat that is only as deep and rewarding as your gaming might, and with extra features like turbo and Legendary Dark Knight mode that allows a horde of enemies for you to plough through while looking like the most stylish thing ever, DMC4 SE is the pinnacle of technical hack and slash sharing it's throne with Bayoneta2 or maybe even arguably better.
    And at a cheap price of $25 the deal is all win-win.
  2. Jun 24, 2015
    This game ist perfect in my opinion, i played all Devil May Cry Games even the last one, and this is by far the best Devil May Cry i loved it on the Playstation 3 and love it even more on the Playstation 4 the Graphics and gameplay looks better and Vergil is just a badass, all hail the Demon King.
  3. Jun 23, 2015
    This game is technically perfect, the frames transit smoothly, every command INSTANTLY responds to your prompt and looking SSStylish, not only because of the sheer amount of combat-related content packed into it, but also because of the massive replay value you get if you try to play all the characters and see what works.
    The first playthrough will take you 10 hours, but that is when the
    The first playthrough will take you 10 hours, but that is when the true fun of the game begins, when you increase the dufficulty. The game then forces you to utilize your massive arsenal and when you do, when you learn, the victory is extremely satisfying and rewarding
    Unlike the Souls games and Bloodborne where there in only one mechanic for you to memorize, DMC4SE gives you a huge arsenal of weapons and combo freedom for your pleasure only.
  4. Jun 28, 2015
    How I miss the glory days of the old Dante! This brings back so many memories of playing the previous installments on my PS2! I've enjoyed every new game in the series even DmC.
    GamePlay - What can I say. . . It's absolutely awesome! Fun and addictive hack n slash action that will bring you back to the days when this genre was quite popular. A rewarding combat system that grades you based on your style, the new Legendary Dark Knight mode to challenge your skill and new characters to keep to slashing for hours!
    Overall: If you miss and enjoy the hack and slash action, then this is the game for you! With new content, upgraded visuals and new characters you will definitely get your money's worth with a more than reasonable price tag.
    (Also, Vergil is back! Come on!)
  5. Jun 24, 2015
    Превосходное переиздание культовой игры, 5 играбельных персонажей это очень сильно, ровно так как и новый вид игры, безусловно один из лучших слэшеров за всю историю, новые режимы игры так же не могут оставить игрока без положительных эмоций, Devil May Cry 4 special edition отличная игра, которую стоит попробовать всем.Превосходное переиздание культовой игры, 5 играбельных персонажей это очень сильно, ровно так как и новый вид игры, безусловно один из лучших слэшеров за всю историю, новые режимы игры так же не могут оставить игрока без положительных эмоций, Devil May Cry 4 special edition отличная игра, которую стоит попробовать всем.
  6. Jun 24, 2015
    The original DMC4 combat wise was the deepest stylish action game on the market 7 years ago and the only game that came out since then that could rival it was bayonetta, but in my opinion DMC offers a faster gameplay with more freedom.

Capcom did a fantastic job at porting the game to next gen hardware, but they didn't stop there they also added 3 new playable characters(some of them like lady and trish are long time dreams coming true to me with their character specific movesets) to the roster that are just as diverse or more so than nero was in the original game for the asking price of 25 bucks, which is more than just fair considering other remaster that offer far less for more.

While the limited budget and the rushed out of the gate story campaign remains the same(meaning that you play through the same level with dante and nero, only with different enemy waves and some added chapter specific features to dante) story wise this game still is a worthy even if underwhelming successors of the DMC franchise that would have deserved proper continuation at a proper finances. But now the chance is here for us to show our support for this genre and if you can afford it please do so.

If you are new to the genre keep in mind that these types of games require many hours to master just like fighting games(like street fighter for example).
  7. Jun 25, 2015
    DMC4SE is even better than I imagined. A general menu and orb transfering innovation is great! And, ofcource, there are 3 new characters , one of which motivates me not to leave the game forever .
  8. Jun 23, 2015
    This is a pretty solid re-introduction of DMC4. I've been playing the original for hundreds of hours, and the revised version has a lot of small improvements and adjustments making it a perfect game in the series, including more fluid animation, game modes, textures and particles, etc, all working flawlessly. And of course, playing new characters is the most fun. I would recommend this toThis is a pretty solid re-introduction of DMC4. I've been playing the original for hundreds of hours, and the revised version has a lot of small improvements and adjustments making it a perfect game in the series, including more fluid animation, game modes, textures and particles, etc, all working flawlessly. And of course, playing new characters is the most fun. I would recommend this to play anyone - both new to the series, wanting to experience something new, and to the veterans, searching for new challenges. People still do upload their awesome combo videos on Youtube, and I, as a part of small but strong community, will support the series no matter what. Thanks for this, Capcom. Expand
  9. Oct 29, 2015
    A new edition of an old game with more characters just like DMC3:SE. Except this time its based on an old game not as good as DMC3 but introduces 3 new characters instead of 1. It still has all the flaws of the original. Your enjoyment of this game and the original DMC4 hinges on how you feel about running around in the same environments and having to face repeated boss fights. InA new edition of an old game with more characters just like DMC3:SE. Except this time its based on an old game not as good as DMC3 but introduces 3 new characters instead of 1. It still has all the flaws of the original. Your enjoyment of this game and the original DMC4 hinges on how you feel about running around in the same environments and having to face repeated boss fights. In addition, the game doesn't perform as well as the original. Despite these flaws, the game is still tons of fun. The combat is the best it has been imo. Dante was really fun in the original once you got used to his style switching and some of the weapons he later got and Nero was a good character for beginners while still having some depth in his combat. In this edition, you will get them both along with new characters that feel different enough compared to each other. Besides that, the story was alright, not as good as DMC3 and lacked and awesome antagonist like said game. Its 5 playable characters and bloody palace mode will give the game plenty of replayability if you enjoy the combat the DMC series is known for. The combat is really good and really fun but may need some getting used to (especially Dante). Expand
  10. Jul 1, 2015
    I am a huge DMC fan and did love the new DmC: Devil May Cry but this brings back hell of old memories for me. The moment when Nero was running through streets, fighting the demons as Kyrie was singing in the background, waiting upon for Nero to arrive; god that gave me chills. The graphics still look goood to this day though not a "Next Gen" term. It's very acceptable to look at and runsI am a huge DMC fan and did love the new DmC: Devil May Cry but this brings back hell of old memories for me. The moment when Nero was running through streets, fighting the demons as Kyrie was singing in the background, waiting upon for Nero to arrive; god that gave me chills. The graphics still look goood to this day though not a "Next Gen" term. It's very acceptable to look at and runs buttery smooth. The gameplay hasn't really changed all that much except with a few new playable characters like Vergil, Lady, and Trish with their own movesets that gives more replayability to the game. Plus new game mode and skins gives the game more rendition to go back over and over again. If you are looking for a Hack/Slash game on the 8th generation or go back into old DMC style fighting then this is your game.

Ps. The micro-transactions ruins the game experience but not a whole lot
  11. Jul 5, 2015
    Another great game polished up even more. Played back in the day on 360 and after not playing for a few years its like new again. 1 of the best action games out there. Runs smooth very short load times. Best game you can buy for $25. Im the super devil play it or burn heathens.
  12. Jul 19, 2015
    The game exceeded all my expectation.

The game is action paced and surprisingly deep for an hack and slash. The characters are interesting and have a very nice design. The new playable characters are a great add-on. That being said, the game has the option to pay for upgrades (blue orbs, 300k red crystals, difficulties). Note that these can be unlocked during gameplay but the idea
    The game exceeded all my expectation.

The new playable characters are a great add-on. That being said, the game has the option to pay for upgrades (blue orbs, 300k red crystals, difficulties). Note that these can be unlocked during gameplay but the idea left a bad taste in my mouth.
  13. Jun 24, 2015
    Story - 5 - Reason: Let's be real, story telling has never been Capcom's strong suite. Even at it's strongest, from Breath of Fire to Resident Evil 4 to Megaman to Dragon's Dogma, Capcom's story telling has only ever been functional at best, serving to at least let us know why we're shooting, slashing and bashing the things we kill. Devil May Cry's story is no different, nor was DmC's.Story - 5 - Reason: Let's be real, story telling has never been Capcom's strong suite. Even at it's strongest, from Breath of Fire to Resident Evil 4 to Megaman to Dragon's Dogma, Capcom's story telling has only ever been functional at best, serving to at least let us know why we're shooting, slashing and bashing the things we kill. Devil May Cry's story is no different, nor was DmC's. Devil May Cry 4 has interesting aspects. Nero's connection to Dante and Virgil....yea that's about it and that's if you cared about Nero ever, at all. Many didn't. So yea. It's the same story and the additional stories of Virgil, Trish and Lady are def a cut and paste with no in game changes, so that 5 is actually kinda generous

Graphics - 6 - Reason: Because while it is an HD remake, it still maintains some of the plainness of the original. That's not to say the graphics suck. They don't. And the frame rate is as excellent as ever, but it's not next gen graphics, and since the game was re-released on a next gen console, it has to be graded as such. And in some places, you could tell it was old generation as the pixels were noticeable.

Gameplay - 9 - Reason: Devil May Cry, original and reboot, have tight fast paced gameplay. Period. Gameplay that allows less skilled players to still enjoy the game's content, yet rewards players that want to go that extra mile and really rack up the style points and show off some creative combos. This is where DMC/DmC's bread and butter is. Not in it's characters (which we'll get to) or it's story. The only thing that stopped me from giving it a 10 is the incredibly wonky angles that you sometimes have to deal with. I'd like to say that these were an oversight, but they weren't, Capcom just genuinely enjoys being a tool to it's customers.

Level Design - 7 - Reason: Pretty linear. Little exploration. Like the story, functional, serving to give you a place to hack and slash and doing little to add to the story. The scenery can be pretty amazing, hence the 7, but over all, the pace at which you blow through it, the (once again) horrid angles and camera control and the lazily impplemented back tracking stop it from being great. On the note of back tracking, however, it's foolish to assume they would have fixed that as it would take a near overhaul. I can see docking the same amount for having it int he first place, but to dock it because they didn't "fix" it, *cough cough* Gamespot, literally makes you an idiot, not for life, just when it comes to this game.

Character Design - 8 - Reason: Characters are the opposite side of the coin for story. That's why I end with it. Nero is pretty stereotypical and forgettable. He's functional as a personality, but he's a blast to control. In fact, he's pretty close to OP with that devil arm of his. Typical of Capcom to give the most power to a punk. Original Dante is....well....original Dante. He's almost as divisive a personality as n00b Dante, but...he's Dante, and actually I think he's at his best in this version, as a mature, well seasoned warrior. Trish and Lady are interesting and not your typical helpless females, which I love. And they're a blast to play as, but in al reality, Virgil is the selling point of this entire game. By far the most charismatic and interesting character created in the Devil May Cry franchise. Hands down. Different than Socio Virgil, he is power and control personified in that world and is the only character created that could carry a series himself. Gameplay for him is through the rough and wildly satisfying

Overall - 8 - Reason: Actually an 8.5. I gave the game it's score based on what I thought the original game was and if they made any improvements. The answer is yes. The game has flaws left in it, and I docked for those flaws as I would have last time, but the fact is that it is a genuinely better experience than the original. Maybe not enough to convert those never interested, but yes enough to pacify those who enjoy and even get some new comers who have never experienced. The game is a well crafted game overall and deserves a positive score. Thus I have given it one.
  14. Aug 13, 2015
    Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition is an amazing game nonetheless, the graphical improvements are notable and the smooth 60 frames per second just make the game experience so good that you can´t stop playing it.
    The story of DMC4:SE is interesting and truly captivating and emotional, some missions in the game don´t make much sense but it´s nothing too bad so we can let it slide. The combat and gameplay are fast and exciting and are a joy to play, there is so much variety and possible combos that the game feels new every time you play it. Special Edition comes with the addition of three playable characters, Trish, Lady and Vergil, there was a lot of effort put in to these characters and we can see it, each one of them has different move sets and a large variety of combos and weapons to their disposition.
    My only issues with this game are the automatic cameras, it's so weird because there are sections were you can control the camera but then that control is taken away from you and you have to adapt in a split second for the automatic camera, the second issue are the puzzles in the game, they make no sense at all and my third and final issue are some of the boss fights, basically you´ll have to defeat the same bosses twice, once with Nero and once with Dante that was a lazy choice from the producers and I didn't like it.
    Lastly, I wouldn't cal it an issue, With these new playable characters they could have added different cutscenes but instead we get a different beginning for each character and a different ending, with no cutscenes through the mission, that was so lazy from Capcom.
    Nevertheless at only 24,99 euros, this game is a must buy for veteran fans of the series, and even for newcomers, pick this game up.
  15. Jul 27, 2015
    Devil may cry 4 special edition is great and all but it could have done so much more. I love the game and have been playing the hell outta it but still slightly disappointed DMC3 Special edition still has more content and I wish they looked at that game and use some of the ideas from that.

The positives 5 playable characters Dante, Nero, Vergil, Lady and Trish Legendary dark knight

The positives
    5 playable characters Dante, Nero, Vergil, Lady and Trish
    Legendary dark knight mode (Spawns huge waves of enemies)
    Hours of game lasting
    Turbo mode (game speeds up by 20%)
    Costumes for each character
    Autosave
    Updated visuals
    60fps (kinda had this already though)

Negatives
    Going through the same missions for every character.
    DLC ( Quick unlocks that should really just be a cheat code.)
    Its pretty much the same game with new characters.

What they could have done to make it better.
    Add more costumes ( I had my hopes up for a DMC1 Dante costume but that went out the window)

Change the background music for the new characters (Im pretty bored of the same music DMC3 done this so i dont know why this didnt)

New enemies or a new boss ( Like DMC3 the jester bosses they should've done something like that.)

Regardless I love Devil may cry 4 special edition and I would recommend it to the fans who have been waiting for a classic DMC game ever since the reboot.
  16. Nov 13, 2015
    Pre Ordered it 30 days on psn before it was released, i was so hyped , the whole time
    and i was not dissapointed
    ITS **** AWESOME
    but.. i beated all of it in 3 days
  17. Jun 22, 2017
    Este es un buen juego, aunque sea un remaster, el añadido de Vergil es interesante, unas mecanicas nuevas para este personaje y lo demas si es recicle de Dante.
    Pero los DMC siempre han sido divertidos, es una lastima que hoy en dia, se hable mas de bayonetta, cuando DMC es anterior, quisiera que apereciera una continuacion o un reboot de esta serie de DMCs no la de ninja theory, no es por odio, si no que creci con esta saga.
  18. Nov 6, 2015
    The user score for this game is higher than the critics, and for good reason. Goes to show how a fan-favorite can truly stay a fan-favorite despite what the media says. Devil May Cry 4 is a must play for any Platinum Games, Action games or Devil May Cry fan. If you never played this game before, then there's no reason for you not to try Devil May Cry 4 on the PS4. It has a much higherThe user score for this game is higher than the critics, and for good reason. Goes to show how a fan-favorite can truly stay a fan-favorite despite what the media says. Devil May Cry 4 is a must play for any Platinum Games, Action games or Devil May Cry fan. If you never played this game before, then there's no reason for you not to try Devil May Cry 4 on the PS4. It has a much higher framerate, smoother visuals, few extra characters with their own abilities and skill trees and the same old over-the-top action and story.

Does it feel any different? No. There are very few actual tweaks from the first game, and I think it's best that way. Hitting great combos really does feel satisfying, and with the absurd amount of content in the game including the almost impossible amount of trophies to obtain will keep this game an endless challenge to master.
  19. Nov 20, 2018
    Very comfy game. It's fun to style on demons. Nero still my main. Vergil is fun to use tho.
  20. Sep 8, 2015

Good: * Solid gameplay. Precise hitbox, precise timing, precise animations. Versatile. Variant. Challenging (even for real- non casual- gamers). Rewarding. Inmersive. FLAWLESS! *Solid story. *Likeable characters. *5 badass playable characters: Dante, Vergil, Nero, Trish and Lady!!! *Nice graphics *Nice music/sound effects *Tons of unlockables *Heavy replayability value.

Good:
    *Solid story.
    *Likeable characters.
    *5 badass playable characters: Dante, Vergil, Nero, Trish and Lady!!!
    *Nice graphics
    *Nice music/sound effects
    *Tons of unlockables
    *Heavy replayability value.

Bad:
    *Repetition of bosses and levels.
    *"Sandbox" syndrome.
    "Unforgiving with casuals.

And even with all it's flaws IT'S STILL A 10/10... why don't you try comparing this review with the one I did on DmC? There is no point in doing it, that's why! This is even sicker than the standard edition... pity they didn't listen the community in regards of the need of more missions with different designs... the reviews on this game would skyrocket...
  21. Jul 24, 2018
    As my first Devil May Cry game I am thoroughly impressed and can't wait to play the earlier games and the newly announced DMC 5. With 5 characters to play in total I can't wait to try all the new combos with each character.
  22. Mar 14, 2018
    WOWOWOWOW Im in love with this game best DMC ever !!! though i wish there was more dante and nero or the option to at least play the story just as dante or just as nero. I bought this on ps4 with the bundle it comes with and im not complaining this is amazing !!! the game comes with a variety of characters to play with and loads of options also... And damn vergil is so damn fun and OP iWOWOWOWOW Im in love with this game best DMC ever !!! though i wish there was more dante and nero or the option to at least play the story just as dante or just as nero. I bought this on ps4 with the bundle it comes with and im not complaining this is amazing !!! the game comes with a variety of characters to play with and loads of options also... And damn vergil is so damn fun and OP i just adore playing with him !!! Gameplay feels clean and intensive better than dmc 3 and the story and nero are very interesting and well made also the graphics on the ps4 dont feel much outdated at all and look very great !! Overall you get me just try this game out and see why is needs a lot of love !!! Expand
  23. Apr 25, 2019
    How i love this game! Thanks Capcom for this music, style, characters and faSSSt gameplay.

1. Oct 21, 2015
    The combat system is still great, and the new characters are a good addition, but Capcom didn't work too much on the graphics, nor on the structural problems of this fourth chapter in the action stylish saga created by Kamiya. Still a must have for action fans who didn't play the original, of course.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Sep 5, 2015
    While the game feels padded and the animation creaky, DMC4's crisp combat wins through. [Sept 2015, p.95]
  3. Aug 17, 2015
    The game is as fun and challenging as it was back in the day, and the updates and additions are sweet enough to make even stingy DMC fans shell out.