5.3

1. Nov 6, 2020
    Bitterly disappointing. I cannot recommend this game if you are expecting something akin to Forza Horizon or Dirt 2. You will not get that experience here. Do not be fooled by the pretty visuals; this is an empty shell of a game that will neither deliver an immersive nor a rewarding racing experience. Excellent weather effects is the only redeeming quality of a game that is simply flashyBitterly disappointing. I cannot recommend this game if you are expecting something akin to Forza Horizon or Dirt 2. You will not get that experience here. Do not be fooled by the pretty visuals; this is an empty shell of a game that will neither deliver an immersive nor a rewarding racing experience. Excellent weather effects is the only redeeming quality of a game that is simply flashy packaging with almost no substance in terms of visuals, immersion, and depth of driving mechanics. The Forza Horizon series perfectly balanced a lively festival environment with multiple layers of immersion that made you feel as though you were in a living, breathing world of racing with semi arcade but deep physics that required true driving skill to master, and rewarded you for developing your skills. Dirt 5 seeks to invoke this feel, but utterly fails both in driving mechanics and environmental presentation. Dirt 5 is wrapped in a flashy veneer that quickly reveals a hollow world once you scratch the surface. It lacks the layers of immersion that define Dirt 2 and Horizon, and the driving physics are oversimplified to the point that minimal skill is required to negotiate the track. Surfaces do not have significant impact on the feel of the race so gravel feels much like mud and snow. There is no track erosion seen in games like Dirt Rally 2.0 so subsequent laps don’t really change the nature of the race except for a few prescripted events where snow build up or rain or time of day change occurs the exact same way during a three lap race. The festival thematics (which ostensibly is the center of gravity of the title’s disposition) are seen in the forms of colorful still menus, lively music, and the occasional colored smoke or firework on the track, but that is about the extent of it. The story rivalry story isn’t very engaging and there are no cutscenes or story pieces that make you feel like part of something bigger. The races themselves are so arcade-driven, that skilled driving is not rewarded. The game uses a very cheap slingshot trick to give off the illusion of a close race. Essentially, when you exit a corner several car lengths ahead of the pack, the trailing vehicles suddenly are accelerated to unrealistic levels and blast by you, even if you perfectly execute a corner, so what you end up with is a very cool looking game of Mario Kart. Additionally, vehicle damage is mild, both visually and otherwise, and the tracks are not well constructed; you are often punished for tiny obstacles which will completely stop your travel or cause your vehicle to react unrealistically, thus resulting in you being impossibly behind the pack with not way to catch up, which seems to defeat the balance of an arcade style racer.

This game fails to hit the mark because it tries to fit into the fun festival racing arcade experience that made Dirt 2 and the Horizon series famous, but it doesn’t nail the festival component and it whiffs on the racing mechanics; it just feels like a very pretty looking but ultimately, and sadly, an empty experience. It pains me to write this review, as I have been a Dirt fan for years and I love the festival style games, but I would recommend you spend your money elsewhere. Hopefully next time around, Codemasters will not outsource their brand. In the meantime, buy an Xbox and get Forza Horizon 4 if you want a festival racer, or buy Dirt 4 or Dirt Rally 2.0 if you are hungry for a rally simulation.
  2. Nov 18, 2020
    First of all, I understand that DiRT is more casual and DiRT Rally focuses on hardcore rally fans, so the problem I have with DiRT 5 is not because "it's not DiRT Rally". When Codemastes came out saying that they now have two different teams making DiRT and DiRT Rally games, I thought (and I still think) that it's the best thing to do since they're both different games with differentFirst of all, I understand that DiRT is more casual and DiRT Rally focuses on hardcore rally fans, so the problem I have with DiRT 5 is not because "it's not DiRT Rally". When Codemastes came out saying that they now have two different teams making DiRT and DiRT Rally games, I thought (and I still think) that it's the best thing to do since they're both different games with different purposes.

When DiRT 5 was first announced, I was extremely happy to see a DiRT 2 "vibe" back to the series. At first I thought that Codemasters finally woke up and decided to bring everything that made DiRT 2 a timeless masterpiece back to the series, but hell I was wrong...

DiRT 5 is an odd mismatch of Motorstorm, Forza Horizon and Trackmania altogether. Okay, all 3 franchises are great and all, but they're NOT DiRT! DiRT is supposed to be arcade, but not just a generic colorful arcade with crazy things happening all over the screen, it's is supposed to be an "accessible simcade", a game that focuses on actual motorsport culture but is still not hard to drive, a game that can be colorful but is still serious is some regards. DiRT 5 pushed too far to the arcade side, just like DiRT 4 pushed too far to the sim side (at least DiRT 4 was still good).

I mean, DiRT 5 came from Colin McRae Rally, but is a game with no rally stages at all! I mean, what the hell?? There are just massive, meaningless and generic off-road tracks in this game. Also there's no mechanical damage, and visual damage is not even close to what it used to be in Codemasters' games from late 2000s like DiRT 2 and Race Driver Grid. The main menu is colorful and generic like every other game nowadays. Career mode is boring and feels like a different clothed version of the same GRID 2019's garbage career mode.

Seems like Codemasters is becoming the EA of racing games. They used to make timeless masterpieces during the 2000s and early 2010s, but now they only make colorful generic games (DiRT 5), live services (DiRT Rally 2.0), games loaded with microtransactions (F1), games more focused on advertising than quality (bringing Donut Media and making DiRT 5 looks like DiRTs 2 and 3 when it's clearly not) and forgettable games (GRID 2019 and Onrush). Even in the graphics department Codemasters is choking big time, it's crazy how DiRT 5 is colorful and feels dark at the same time, and even the textures, I don't know, there's something off about this game's graphics.

I really hope to see Codemasters waking up after garbages like DiRT 5 and GRID 2019. I used to trust them when it came to great quality games, but now I'm starting to drift away from their products, and it's pretty sad since I know they have a lot of talented people making games for them. I just don't understand what's going on. Why most companies are not even trying to make actual great games anymore? Instead of focusing on making great quality games and naturally bring casual players just because they want to play great quality games as well, now the companies are kicking their loyal fans in the butt and trying to bring Fortnite casual players, alienating their customers with generic games.

I'm almost finishing, but I'd like to tell Codemasters what people in general expect from a DiRT game, especially from DiRT 6 in the future:
    - Arcade but not generic, more focus on a quality game for racing fans, if the game is good the casual fans will come naturally;
    - DiRT with no rally stages is forbidden(!);
    - It's more of a personal opinion, but I miss DiRT 2's 3D menu, seems like Codemasters left their creativity in the past;
    - Mechanical damage and impressive visual damage;
    - Beautiful graphics;
    - A complete game at launch, not a game plagued with bugs;
    - Legendary locations that feels real and authentic;
    - Challenging tracks and not wide open tracks with walls always keeping the player on the race surface;
    - Some rally/rallycross/off-road drivers from real life;
    - If you ever want to make another game like DiRT 5, just don't call it "DiRT", call it "DiRT Showdown 2" or "DiRT Storm" or "DiRT Mania" or "DiRT Fest", anything you want, just don't call it DiRT as if it belongs in the main franchise;
    - JUST TRY TO REPLICATE WHAT MADE THE FIRST 3 DiRTS SO GREAT AND EXPAND ON IT WITH THE TECHNOLOGY WE HAVE AVAILABLE TODAY!

Sorry if this review is all over the place, I'm just really disappointed and venting here. DiRT 5 is one of the worst games Codemasters ever made (definitely the worst DiRT/Colin McRae game) and I really hope to see a DiRT 6 in the future, a DiRT made for DiRT fans, not another generic arcade racer on the market. There's a big difference between an arcade game and a generic game. Also, there's a reason why games like Race Driver Grid and DiRT 2 are so beloved and GRID 2019, DiRT Showdown and Onrush are forgotten you know...
  3. Nov 9, 2020
    Played 2 hours career mode, really enjoying it and then the game crashes, blue screens the PS4 and lose all my saved data... and now it keeps crashing everytime I try and play the first race, absolute joke.
  4. Nov 18, 2020
    This is the sort of game that should not be relevant in 2020. Repetitive and boring arcade racing, with a few bells and whistles, but absolutely NOTHING special about it. All this game does is to profit on the relevance of the 'Dirt' brand. Even if what you're looking for is some arcade casual racing you will be much better served going for a different game.
  5. Nov 19, 2020
    No rally stages and everything feels incredibly generic... Don't waste your money with this trash. Maybe it would be a 4 out of 10 if it wasn't named Dirt. If you really wanna have some actual Dirt experience, go play Dirt 2 or Dirt 3, or maybe even Dirt Showdown if you really want something very arcade and "fun". Anything but this! What's going on with Codemasters lately??? Geez...
  6. Nov 21, 2020
    if codemasters keeps making games like this, onrush and grid reboot, they better stop and just remaster their games from 2007-2011. i've played every single codemasters off-road games since the first colin mcrae, and dirt 5 is by far the worst ever. codemasters used to be about innovation and character on their games, now they only make generic and forgettable stuff. such a shame...
  7. Nov 7, 2020
    This is the worst game in the Dirt series. The graphics are ugly. The game looks exactly as cheap as Grid 2019. Gameplay, A.I and physics are bad. I'd rather play Dirt 3 / Showdown than that horror.
  8. Nov 5, 2020
    It's not bad, but just idk. Forza Horizon 4 did it so much better, i feel kinda disappointed. It's not bad, it has just been done so much better.
  9. Nov 5, 2020
    Come on, racing games should have little bit highers standards by now. Forza Horizon 3 did it better in 2016.
  10. Nov 8, 2020
    Some race courses look georgeous and are fun to play, others are just dull & boring, I mean how many oval courses can one put in a single game? I get tired playing this game after a few minutes, there is simply no motivation to push your career, the whole game feels so unfinished. Again, it's an arcade racer but the opponents driving-AI is sub-standard. It makes no difference which car youSome race courses look georgeous and are fun to play, others are just dull & boring, I mean how many oval courses can one put in a single game? I get tired playing this game after a few minutes, there is simply no motivation to push your career, the whole game feels so unfinished. Again, it's an arcade racer but the opponents driving-AI is sub-standard. It makes no difference which car you drive... the cars don't feel balanced at all, that's why the opponents drive in one big group all the time. Expand
  11. Nov 5, 2020
    Would recommend forza horizon 4 instead of this, like seriously. forza horizon 4 is so much better game.
    Even just graphically.
  12. Nov 11, 2020
    DiRT 5 differs from DiRT Rally by offering very fun arcade races, something that manages to do it successfully.
  13. Nov 5, 2020
    Looks nice, music is great, sadly that's all this has going for me, now I've been playing dirt for years and I always liked how the racing was pretty decent in terms of simulation, I've been playing Dirt 4 a lot lately because I was super hyped for 5 but they aren't even remotely close to similar. First race was fine but that was to be expected it's the first race you always win the firstLooks nice, music is great, sadly that's all this has going for me, now I've been playing dirt for years and I always liked how the racing was pretty decent in terms of simulation, I've been playing Dirt 4 a lot lately because I was super hyped for 5 but they aren't even remotely close to similar. First race was fine but that was to be expected it's the first race you always win the first race no matter what. Soon as I hit the second one though it became very obvious what was happening, that age old trick the rubber band. I took a turn that exits and goes uphill right after it, car right behind me, we're the same car even, difference, the other car takes off like it's got a jet engine in it, I'm talking instantly max speed as soon as exiting the turn. I restarted that race 7 times just to watch the same car do the same thing every time at that turn, whats worse it's legit one of the last turns so once that car's super powers kick on that's it you will get second at best no matter what. I guess that's what I get for expect the Dirt name to mean something, I thought there were standards but clearly not with this game, my biggest regret is pre-ordering the deluxe edition digitally on PS4, no refund policy and stuck with a game that for some reason is bearing the Dirt name. Expand
  14. Nov 6, 2020
    Best part of this game is 4 players split screen play with my family and friends having too much fun of it so good & it's really nice game, like the music, cars list, tracks, playground create thing. The racing doesn't feel like a modern game, feel like a old school racing game like the 90's to 2000's but i like it i think is perfect for me!
  15. Nov 6, 2020
    Great fun. Great graphics and an all round racing beast.. wish there was more customisation ad both performance and visual options are lacking
  16. Nov 4, 2020
    Well what can i say, it has about million times better story than last of us 2 and we are talking about racing game here, so that should say a lot. Graphically beautiful, not forza level tho.
  17. Nov 7, 2020
    Not often these days I end up playing the game late in the night and looking forward to the next morning to play again. Above all, it's a pile of fun. Even the career mode is not a chore, as these usually are in racing games.
    I really love Dirt 5, and the more you play it, the more you appreciate the true scale of the game. A huge variety of locations and cars. The weather effects are tremendous.
    Yes, this is an arcade racer. Those who prefer sim/arcade or sim might not like this. I love my sims like Dirt Rally 2.0, GT Sport etc, but I've been looking for a good arcade racer, and this is the one that fits my needs. Among others, Motorstorm fans will love this.
    Graphics: seen a lot of comments about this, but there are very good. Not up to Forza 4 standards, but definitely on a high standard.
    The collision detection is perfect for close and fair online racing. You can't just barge through a corner and puts everyone of course. The cars remain somewhat planted, a bit off course, but another player can't nudge you out of the game. Already played some very exciting online races.
    The current online options are very basic but Codemasters has promised to upgrade these.
    Time trials: if you love time trials, this is the game to play. A huge amount of track/car combos where you can compare your times to global players an friends.
    Hope to see you on the track!
  18. Nov 4, 2020
    Dirt 5 is a blast, sure its not Forza but it definitely can take 1st place in its own right, its an action packed arcade rally game that makes you feel like a bad ass. The game is beautiful and action packed, been a long time since a racing game has kept me so captivated. There is a bunch of content to keep you interested. Playgrounds lets you build your own race track and share it withDirt 5 is a blast, sure its not Forza but it definitely can take 1st place in its own right, its an action packed arcade rally game that makes you feel like a bad ass. The game is beautiful and action packed, been a long time since a racing game has kept me so captivated. There is a bunch of content to keep you interested. Playgrounds lets you build your own race track and share it with the world, its super easy to do and loads of fun. If you are on the fence about this one i can say its safe to come down and race hard. Expand
  19. Nov 6, 2020
    I've never played such a polarizing visual mashup. One moment it's cringe worthy and the next it blows me away, and this can be during a single race.

The main take away is just how fun it is to fly around these tracks. Yes it is a little like being on a loose Rollercoaster, but the erratic AI and sense of speed is just fun, simple as that. This is pure arcade (closer to a Sega Rally),

This is pure arcade (closer to a Sega Rally), more so than anything Codemasters has put out before. Considering this is from the guys that gave us the somewhat awful Onrush (Evolution Studios) you can see Codemasters influence and keeping the frenetic arcade gameplay has actually paid off.
  20. Nov 13, 2020
    One of the best arcade racers out there.
    Dirt 5 differs from the other Dirt games (as well as the Dirt Rally series) for a very predominant arcade feeling like old school games, such as Sega Rally etc.
    One of the best arcade racers out there.
    If you're searching for an accurate simulation this is not the game for you, but if you search hours of fun driving through mud and ice with simple controls and physics, this game won't disappoint you.
  21. Nov 4, 2020
    Dirt 5, hands down the best racing game like F1. Codemasters have gave us another racing masterpiece.
  22. Nov 7, 2020
    ужасная физика , очень разочаровала
    единственный плюс это разделение экрана
  23. Nov 9, 2020
    Нет русского языка____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  24. Nov 14, 2020
    its a fun game, but is not a good arcade racing game, nfs heat has better physics and the car rating system (S,A,B,C) doesn't match how the cars actually drives, again its fun, not the best, buy it on sale
  25. Nov 5, 2020
    Best Racing Game Ever ! Best Racing Game Ever ! Best Racing Game Ever ! Best Racing Game Ever ! Best Racing Game Ever ! Best Racing Game Ever !
  26. Nov 11, 2020
    Dirt 5 is a fun arcade racer. It isn't the prettiest game around but does it really matter? The gameplay is smooth (you can pick between fps and graphics). The music is very nice. Even though it's not as good as in the famous Dirt 2, it is still miles better than most other racing games.
    The AI difficulty is set on normal as default. Normal is quite easy, (just as in previous Dirt series) You can of course pick hard and very hard mode as well. I would recommend a harder difficulty than normal for most players.

The reason I wanted to review this game is that you shouldn't believe the Forza Horizon fanboys who never played the game and just compared their next gen trailers. Forza Horizon and Dirt are about as equal as Gears of War and Fortnite. Forza Horizon is a mmo racing/cruising game. Dirt 5 is a fast paced arcade racer.

I was surprised how much this game looked like Dirt 2 (menu structure, music, gameplay elements) and at times, it really plays like Sega Rally. This game is super arcade. I do prefer Dirt 2 over Dirt 5 overall.

There are some cons
    - Menu's are extremely colorful, maybe abit TOO colorful.
    - Lines between characters feel unnatural and awkward. (maybe due to covid 19? a different way of recording voice overs?)
    - Arcade racers in general tend to be abit minimalistic.
    - Not as good as Dirt 2
    Other than that a great arcade racer. Forza Horizon is an apple. Dirt 5 is a pear.
  27. Nov 10, 2020
    Wow. So bad. Physics make no sense. The racing is worse than wreckfest but then you get no damage from smashing into cars, walls, etc. Heavily flawed and horribly simple racing physics. Recent Dirt titles were fantastic but felt a little lonely. This is action packed garbage.
  28. Nov 10, 2020
    Some great ideas but poor execution. The game is broken on PS4. Don't buy it until it's fully patched.
  29. Jan 10, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When it works it’s broken physics and ai make it one of the worst not only rally experiences but racing games all together. Leading by 0,5 lap then touching wall once makes opponents catching up in 3 seconds. Parts of the car falling off while driving flat straight. Whippers not clearing off mud off the windshield even though they going forth and back as if there is no tomorrow. Textures and objects pop in , lights lighting up in very unnatural way just in front of the car. Silly racing disciplines that are really all the same with one exception - pathfinder all rest is exactly the same only driving in different types of vehicles. Better / more expensive cars make no difference difficulty is not changing always leaving you with impression of fake cheating ai. This is by far worst dirt game and worst racing game of all time! Finally with latest update on Xbox series x can’t even start the thing - tried all things found on codemasters forums with no avail. Glad I got disc based Verizon perhaps it will fly out window better than it works ! Expand
  30. Nov 25, 2020
    Nice graphics, nice selection of music, cars, race types, environments etc... Appalling AI.

And the Sprint races!!? I'm assuming they're broken and will be patch because currently they are impossible no matter what difficulty level or driver aids are selected. Codemasters seem to have gone out of their way to make this game as fun as possible only to wring that out of it with some

Codemasters seem to have gone out of their way to make this game as fun as possible only to wring that out of it with some awful, awful gameplay and difficulty spikes in places.
  31. Nov 15, 2020
    Dirt 5 first and foremost is a fun and exciting racer that has hints of Motorstorm, Drive Club and Onrush. Its fast,frantic and good for short bursts. If playing on SX enable VRR on SX settings and of course you need a TV that has this option...
  32. Nov 19, 2020
    It's not a game I'll be spending a lot of time with. I bought it with my new Series X and already would prefer to play any Forza game for my racing fix over this, or Gran Turismo on PS5. It's OK. Nothing worth spending a lot of time with amongst other options.
  33. Dec 2, 2020
    Looks amazing, plays great. Clearly an arcade game and as a casual player of the racer genre, I'm really enjoying a little bit of next gen racing in some extreme environments. As far as racers go imo I am enjoying Dirt 5. The playgrounds mode can be fun too, trying to beat other people's time etc. If you don't like serious racers and just want a fun racing game, I recommend this game.
  34. Nov 27, 2020
    With "DiRT 5" Codemasters created a great and playfully excellent title for the console. The career mode lets you experience a lot and will keep you busy for a good time. The other modes are also interesting and fun. The controls are completely ok. Unfortunately the AI of the other drivers are always annoying and disturb the actually good gameplay. But the graphical presentation and theWith "DiRT 5" Codemasters created a great and playfully excellent title for the console. The career mode lets you experience a lot and will keep you busy for a good time. The other modes are also interesting and fun. The controls are completely ok. Unfortunately the AI of the other drivers are always annoying and disturb the actually good gameplay. But the graphical presentation and the sound can collect further plus points. Who likes to experience a varied racing game again should have a look at "DiRT 5".
    (https://www.playmoregames.de/post/dirt-5-ps4-im-test)
  35. Nov 8, 2020
    В подростковом возрасте, проводил сотни яасов за гонками, в одном flatout 2 будет пол тысячи часов на psp. Но в этом поколение пробовал кучу разных гонок и совершенно нечего не заходило, только в onrush зацепил и наиграл часов 20, как кстати только сейчас заметил что его делали разрабы dirt 5. Может это из за того что мне совершенно не нравяться гонки в открытом мире, а сейчас если аааВ подростковом возрасте, проводил сотни яасов за гонками, в одном flatout 2 будет пол тысячи часов на psp. Но в этом поколение пробовал кучу разных гонок и совершенно нечего не заходило, только в onrush зацепил и наиграл часов 20, как кстати только сейчас заметил что его делали разрабы dirt 5. Может это из за того что мне совершенно не нравяться гонки в открытом мире, а сейчас если ааа гонка выходит, то это открытый мир.
    Не знаю как то решился на покупку dirt 5, при том что о прошлых играх слышал, но не когда пробовать не хотелось. А тут купил и просто 2 дня с утра до вечера не вылезал, очень понравилось. Как гемплей залепательный, так еще это не совсем полноценная сюжетка, но история про противобороство двух гонщиков, которая развивается в виде подкаста тоже понравилась, хотя это наверно все благодаря Трою Бейкеру и Нолану Норту которые озвучивали этих гонщиков. Мультиплеер только слегка расстроил, попробовал его на 3 день выхода в воскресение вечером, но он уже полу живой, там 2 режима, и пока в режиме со стандартными гонками находит хоть кого-то, в большинстве матчей было всего 5-6 человек в сессии. Но второй режиме с пати играми, он просто не находил матч, хотя я целенаправленно пытался поиграть пол часа.

Буду теперь обязательно следить за их новыми играми, раз за все поколение, их 2 игры только и зашли.

И платина тут конечно тот еще гринд, зачем придумывать такие трофеии. Этим я уж точно заниматься не буду.
  36. Nov 20, 2020
    While this game looks amazing on PS5 in 4k, the gameplay loop is dull, and the AI is N64 quality. The physics are not realist, and aren't fine-tuned. Please create a better user experience.
  37. Nov 20, 2020
    Hardcore fans of rally racers will be disappointed with the lack of tuning options and a classic rally mode but that does not detract from the fact that Dirt 5 is an absolute joy to play. The pure act of driving and drifting around tight curves has rarely felt this satisfying. Pair that with a banger soundtrack, a decent amount of content and a functional four player-splitscreen and youHardcore fans of rally racers will be disappointed with the lack of tuning options and a classic rally mode but that does not detract from the fact that Dirt 5 is an absolute joy to play. The pure act of driving and drifting around tight curves has rarely felt this satisfying. Pair that with a banger soundtrack, a decent amount of content and a functional four player-splitscreen and you have one of the better arcade racers on the PS4. Expand
  38. Jan 5, 2021
    The worst Dirt game ever. Come on, this is just Sega Rally, only without that arcade background. Some critics said that there’s a lot to do in the game. I would strongly disagree - 95% of the game is racing (or rather sliding) against other cars on muddy/snowy/icy tracks, using brakes 6 times per lap. There is no rally experience whatsoever. No reward. Like I said - Sega Rally meets NFS.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 36 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 8, 2021
    The new instalment of the Dirt franchise is full of energy and style but lacks in some aspects that made the previous iterations so attractive.
  2. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Dec 25, 2020
    In a game called Dirt, dirt has no effect on car’s behavior, and neither does snow. Only ice forces you to make adjustments to your driving. [Issue#250, page 53]
  3. Nov 29, 2020
    Dirt 5 revives what made the original series so successful. Fun right away without wasting time on adjustments and improvements of all kinds. He thus honors his illustrious arcade ancestors with a very nice rendering. It is thus easier to forgive missing functions that have now become classic in racing games.