8.8

1. Sep 6, 2018
    Last year the best JRPG on the PS4 was Persona 5, and this year is Dragon Quest XI! Persona 5 was a great success for Atlus because it kept its unique style - they used the same formula which they used in the predecessors. The same thing Square Enix has done with Dragon Quest XI. The story of this game is great, but I will not talk about the story because of spoilers. I will actually sayLast year the best JRPG on the PS4 was Persona 5, and this year is Dragon Quest XI! Persona 5 was a great success for Atlus because it kept its unique style - they used the same formula which they used in the predecessors. The same thing Square Enix has done with Dragon Quest XI. The story of this game is great, but I will not talk about the story because of spoilers. I will actually say something about gameplay. Dragon Quest XI is a turn-based RPG with a semi-open world. The semi-open world allows to player to explore the world through the story, so that you can explore a new region then you must first advance through the story. This way the player can enjoy the story and a gameplay at the same time (it's not like open world games where you can completely ignore the story and use only the mechanics of gameplay). There is no more random encounter. Now, the enemies are moving freely on the map and if the player make a contact with the enemies, the battle screen will open. The battle system is the same as the predecessor with a couple of new elements. Now, the player can choose between two styles in battle: classic style (characters are stationary on battlefield) and modern style (characters can be moved around battlefield). One of new element is a swapping system which allows players to change characters during battle with those who are outside the active team (this reminds me of battle system from FFX). This function can allow you to make a better strategy (tactic) in battle. When comparing gameplay of Dragon Quest XI with Dragon Quest VIII (the best Dragon Quest game), I can say that Dragon Quest XI is an upgraded version of Dragon Quest VIII (so for this reason would like to see the remake of Dragon Quest VIII for the PS4 with the same engine). Full 14 years, Dragon Quest VIII has kept the title of the best Dragon Quest game, and now it has been surpassed by Dragon Quest XI. As a conclusion I can say that Dragon Quest XI has a great story, gameplay, very beautiful graphics and great sound. This game is the best Dragon Quest game and is one of the best JRPGs ever. We need more such JRPGs on PlayStation, with turn-based battle system and semi-open world. Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI prove that such games can be more successful than some action RPGs. Expand
  2. Oct 20, 2018
    A classic-style turn-based JRPG fully optimized for the modern day. Good art-style, characters, music, cut scenes, UI, and story. Vast towns and dungeons to explore. *Battles are a bit too easy
  3. Sep 4, 2018
    This is my very first Dragon Quest and I am pleasantly surprised, the game is fantastic. It's the JRPG that I've been craving ever since finishing Persona 5. I am quite surprised the game isn't getting better user reviews, so far I haven't seen any real big negatives whatsoever.
  4. Sep 4, 2018
    One of the best games I have played in years. The magic of the turn based JRPG is not dead, just long forgotten. This captures the joy of a gaming age of the past, while clothing it it beautiful current gen graphics.
  5. Sep 4, 2018
    An almost perfect throwback to the old days of JRPG awesomeness. Dragon Quest XI is a classic DQ game in new-gen clothing. The same bones and soul of DQ is here, updated with absolutely stunning graphics on the PS4. If you are a series veteran, you're already on board, and if you are new to the series, this is a perfect starting point. This is JRPG at its finest.
  6. Sep 9, 2018
    Best J-rpg of the last 10 years together with Persona 5, old school full of charisma, amazing fantasy world, depth, challenging if you play hard mode, insane graphics and scenario, great story write and plot, lovely music, every city has it's own way of speaking ,personality and accent simulating different places of the world... could continue all day.

For me its goty by far.
  7. Sep 4, 2018
    Dragon Warrior on the NES was the game that made me fall in love with RPG's so i bought this game thinking it would be worth it based on nostalgia alone and it is. On top of that the look of the game, the turn based combat, the level up and skill system and the story are fantastic. 5 hours in and I'm hooked, I can't wait to get out of work so i can fire up my PS4. 10/10
  8. Sep 6, 2018
    finally a Dragon Quest! great game. a masterpiece! this genre is difficult to come by
  9. Sep 4, 2018
    It has been a long long time since we met...but hopefully you're finally here again. This is simply the real JRPG game for real RPG gamers! There is no way round it: You just love it or hate it...on my opinion this is a piece of classic game history and it is wonderful!
  10. Sep 4, 2018
    Finally a true jrpg that reminds me of the golden age of rpg's (1990 ish, ps1/ps2 era)

After many years of mostly terrible games that all felt short on either story, gameplay, or mechanics i am glad to be playing dragon quest XI. The game looks amazing, next to also having a great story, and amazing cutscenes. As a big fan of these old school rpg's ( ff 4-10, grandia, legend of

As a big fan of these old school rpg's ( ff 4-10, grandia, legend of legaia, legend of dragoons etc) i am very glad to see that the concept of these games has not been forgotten yet.
  11. Sep 8, 2018
    great and classic game I love it so much.this game have great graphic and animations.the story is great and also has lovely characters.
  12. Sep 8, 2018
    Dragon Quest XI is one of the best video games I have ever played. I would rank it somewhere slightly beneath The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time in terms of its greatness.
  13. Sep 6, 2018
    I was expecting a good JRPG, that would bring back the memories of the golden age of video games.
    What I got was that and much more.
    This is the best RPG of the past 10 years, and that's no exaggeration.
  14. Sep 9, 2018
    at last the real rpg game whe deserve, dragon quest xi is the return of clasic rpg.
  15. Sep 5, 2018
    obra maestra uno de los mejores jrpg que jugado el nivel artistico del juego es simplemente espectacular
  16. Sep 8, 2018
    I really have to give this game a perfect score. It's absolutely gorgeous, has great voice acting, and is paced perfectly. I really love the art style of kind of cell shaded mixed with conventional textures. It really looks phenomenal blended together. I personally think this is the best looking JRPG made in a long time.

I'm so sick of RPGs branching out too much before you even get

I'm so sick of RPGs branching out too much before you even get started, but this game does a great job at keeping you focused while still giving you a lot of meat to chew on. The turn based combat is quick when it needs to be and complex enough for boss battles.

If there are any faults to Dragon Quest XI, they are greatly outweighed by its charms to the point of being forgivable.
  17. Sep 9, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is amazing. The orchestral soundtrack is perfect integrated in everything what is happening. I also really enjoy the old battle system. Not every game needs to be a button smashing arpg.
    The story is well written and really huge l, atm I am at 52 hours and I am not close to the end yet. I also enjoy the evolution of the characters during the story, you learn more and more sides of everyone and no one is flat or a generic type. They have all their own unique character and is not filled with stereotypes.
    The ppl who complain about that the main character is not talking, don't get that they are the protagonist of the game and that they are doing the talking. There was a time in gaming history where it was normal to use your own fantasy instead of just consume everything.
    It is sad that this game gets so downrated just because it is a perfect traditional jrpg. I really wonder why ppl buy this game if they don't like the design. It is not that you can't inform yourself about a game and it's battle system. If you don't like it, just don't buy it.
  18. Sep 16, 2018
    If you’re craving an old school turn based RPG; then look no further because no one does it better. JRPG’s have always lost me with their nonsensical stories. Even the legendary Final Fantasy games praised for their storytelling have never added up for me story-wise. I’d always get the basics of the story, but they’d lose me somewhere along the way. Not DQXI. This ability to keep meIf you’re craving an old school turn based RPG; then look no further because no one does it better. JRPG’s have always lost me with their nonsensical stories. Even the legendary Final Fantasy games praised for their storytelling have never added up for me story-wise. I’d always get the basics of the story, but they’d lose me somewhere along the way. Not DQXI. This ability to keep me interested, to keep me moving forward is what makes this one so special.
    The turn based battle system is full of strategy. Rarely can you coast on simple “attack attack attack” motions go get through an area. Thinking ahead, and learning the flow of each areas battles is essential and extremely satisfying once you’ve got it figured out.
    So we’ve got a great, easy to follow story, and great combat. The characters are all great and have their own personalities. Nothing seems tacked on.
    My only complaint is the crafting system. It’s too difficult to find recipes, and many of the items required are so rare that I never want to use them incase a find a better recipe down the road. To get around that I’ve just been level grinding so I can afford to buy most weapons and armour from the store. You can be a rare item hunter or a grinder. The choice is yours, but a strategy involving both techniques is recommended.
    I really could write so much more, but I think you get the idea. You probably already understand this is a turn based classic style RPG. And I’m just here to tell you all the elements that make that genre of game special are all here, and accounted for. And don’t worry the game will always give you hints on your next stop, rarely being vague in the process. It’s these modern sensibilities sprinkled through the games presentation and functionality that bring the old school into the new.
  19. Sep 9, 2018
    This is one of the best RPG's in YEARS! As many RPG's seemingly are trying to leave turn based attacking and reinvent the wheel, DQ11 goes back to the roots of what made us all fall in love with RPG's in the first place! This game is great for beginners and DQ veterans alike, I feel this game will go down as the best DQ game in the series to date! 10 out of 10!!!
  20. Sep 16, 2018
    A masterwork of the Genre. This game is not revolutionary in any sense, but it accomplishes everything it wants to with amazing fidelity and obvious love and care. The storytelling, characters, design and gameplay are all just so well done. It's a beautiful thing, and really has me excited for the future of Dragon Quest games.
  21. Sep 14, 2018
    Review: Review at 35 hours gameplay. This is not my first Dragon Quest. I play the first one, one on the PS3, I tried one on the PC. This one does carry all the classic game play but with a more dynamic combat then those old JRPG. The story is generic but there is some very emotional twists, that make you really appreciate it more. The combat is fun and sometimes very strategic. It isReview: Review at 35 hours gameplay. This is not my first Dragon Quest. I play the first one, one on the PS3, I tried one on the PC. This one does carry all the classic game play but with a more dynamic combat then those old JRPG. The story is generic but there is some very emotional twists, that make you really appreciate it more. The combat is fun and sometimes very strategic. It is base turned, but not too slow in terms of pace. The graphics are very good. The movies are a slide show and takes too much time to get going. The music is ok. The sounds are classic and nostalgic. The crafting is very fun and upgrading your character powers is very intuitive. I give it an 80%. There are some annoyance but as far as PC port goes, it is one of the best. And I recommend anyone that never played a Dragon Quest game to give it a go. It's a nice introduction to JRPG and one of the better console port out there. Expand
  22. Sep 12, 2018
    It's a really great game overall. One of the best JRPG I have played in since psx era.
  23. Sep 15, 2018
    This is what I’ve been waiting for. A classic-style turn-based JRPG fully optimized for the modern day. Beautiful: art-style, characters, music, cut scenes, UI, pacing, combat, and story. Vast towns and dungeons to explore. I feel like DQXI might be the best turn-based JRPG made in the last 15 years.

24. Oct 29, 2018
    This is one AMAZING, unforgettable game. I can't find any issues or problems or anything, actually. Maybe the soundtrack could be better, so there you go: the main problem with Dragon Quest XI is the soundtrack. Because the rest is perfection.

It's your typical JRPG; very warmhearted and filled with love and joy, just like Ni no Kuni. The graphics are astounding, it's almost like you are playing a cartoon. There is so much detail, so much love put into this game, it's ridiculous.

The gameplay is very old school, turn-based. Simple and fast to master but not necessarily easy, especially later on. The cast of characters is lovely, with distinct personalities (expect from the silent protagonist, who unfortunately is impossible to create any sense of empathy with, since he has zero personality).

The game might seem a bit easy during its first hours, but don't let that fool you. The last act of the game can be incredibly hard (almost frustrating) and some level grinding will be necessary.

I spent 100 hours in this game and I enjoyed every second of it. Any RPG enthusiast will have a blast with DQXI. It's a no brainer. This game is a must.
  25. Oct 12, 2018
    El mejor RPG del año, un juego que aun llegando tarde a occidente nos demuestra que se pueden seguir haciendo grandes hazañas con el sistema por turnos. Un indispensable si eres fan del genero.
  26. Oct 5, 2018
    The only real problem I can think of for this game is the town music you'll hear again and again, which prevents some of them from having a much needed identity, plus because it plays so often, it does become the most annoying track in the game, but also the only one that's ever really a problem. The rest of the music, the gameplay, the story, the characters, all of it is perfect.The only real problem I can think of for this game is the town music you'll hear again and again, which prevents some of them from having a much needed identity, plus because it plays so often, it does become the most annoying track in the game, but also the only one that's ever really a problem. The rest of the music, the gameplay, the story, the characters, all of it is perfect.

Dragon Quest XI is also without a doubt the best game on the PS4 this year, and the best RPG of the year as well, especially after Ni No Kuni II failed to reach it's lofty expectations. But even without that comparison, DQXI is the best RPG we've had in years, and without a doubt the best Dragon Quest game we've had since DQVIII's original release on the PS2. Level 5 changed the way we view Dragon Quest back then, and Square has proudly and effectively, improved upon that formula since those days. Dragon Quest XI is not only the best RPG of the year, it is the best game in the Dragon Quest franchise, and proves that there's plenty of life in this series yet.
  27. Sep 25, 2018
    I came into this game a little hesitant. I grew up playing many of the old Dragon Quest games, but I always preferred Final Fantasy. I have to say the Final Fantasy franchise has left me disappointed in recent years, but Dragon Quest VIII was a pleasure to play and now 100+ hours into Dragon Quest XI I can say the same for this game. I was pleasantly surprised at the bits of nostalgiaI came into this game a little hesitant. I grew up playing many of the old Dragon Quest games, but I always preferred Final Fantasy. I have to say the Final Fantasy franchise has left me disappointed in recent years, but Dragon Quest VIII was a pleasure to play and now 100+ hours into Dragon Quest XI I can say the same for this game. I was pleasantly surprised at the bits of nostalgia that are sprinkled into this game, but not too much so that it becomes a negative thing. The story really gets good as you play through the game. The characters are great. I was not particularly entertained by some characters at first, but the game completely changed my mind later as their stories developed. I can't remember the last time a game was able to do that. The combat is nothing really new for a Dragon Quest game, but the simplicity is part of that nostalgia and for me it was just fine as it was. The character designs and visuals were superb, and the music was enjoyable as well. I plan on continuing to play this game well past the 100 hours as there are still things I have yet to discover. Expand
  28. Sep 12, 2018
    Wow! This is love when it's the biggest! Square Enix flagship. Among the absolute best game I've experienced. So glad that it finally came to Sweden. I'm now dreaming about part 12 as a premiere title for PS5. :)
  29. Sep 11, 2018
    30 hours in: The game is vibrant, the graphics are crisp and the animation is top notch. This game might remind people of Ni No Kuni in the look and feel of the combat. This is also my first Draggon Quest game, and so far I am liking it.
  30. Oct 26, 2018
    Best jrpg for the ps4. Graphics are gorgeous and the gameplay is so fun and addictive. A must buy for all jrpg fans
  31. Nov 5, 2018
    I am new to the franchise. May i say what a privilege it was to be introduced to this series with this game. the game does not require you to know about the other Dragon Quests game. it does start off very slow but after you get down the basics and progress further into the story, it becomes something to behold. The graphics are beautiful,there will be many times where you will be in aweI am new to the franchise. May i say what a privilege it was to be introduced to this series with this game. the game does not require you to know about the other Dragon Quests game. it does start off very slow but after you get down the basics and progress further into the story, it becomes something to behold. The graphics are beautiful,there will be many times where you will be in awe from your surroundings,the combat is smooth, while having a leveling system similar to Final Fantasy X, it does suits it very well and is unique in its own way. i sunk in a good 120 hours or so before finishing the game,it is one of those games where you wish it kept going just because of how amazing the story and world is. If you love the Dragon Quest series or just love a good JRPG Dragon Quest 11 will not disappoint. the more hours you put into this game, the more attached to both the world and the characters you meet will get with just about every character being unique and memorable in their own way. JRPG fans you owe it to yourself to buy this game, although it does have some minor flaws, the positives far outweigh the negatives. Expand
  32. Sep 30, 2018
    Dragon quest games never disappoint , and this one is particularly good. Definetly best classic jrpg of the year so far.
  33. Oct 21, 2018
    Absolutely one of the greatest JRPG out there ! Dragon Quest XI is my first DQ here and I fell in love with it. 90 hrs+ for me to complete the whole package. The game started slow then become so addicted to the point I could not stop playing on my weekend. However, it is not perfect yet in my sense, since I have played many JRPG ,like FF series for exp, so I could compare them a bit. LetAbsolutely one of the greatest JRPG out there ! Dragon Quest XI is my first DQ here and I fell in love with it. 90 hrs+ for me to complete the whole package. The game started slow then become so addicted to the point I could not stop playing on my weekend. However, it is not perfect yet in my sense, since I have played many JRPG ,like FF series for exp, so I could compare them a bit. Let see pro and cons here

Graphic - Very Beautiful. Animation looks awesome. Arguably the best in JRPG right now, if not on par with Persona 5. The art clearly got inspiration from Dragon BallZ

Story - Overall well done. but there are some parts that I would like more explanation, some parts I feel disagree with the way story goes, (such as the villains have very light punishment). Nevertheless, I enjoy most of story throughout the game. I even shed tear in few occasions. They did very good job here.

Combat - Old school, which is expected but I would love if the devs could implement something new, something more tactical. Right now RNG plays too big roll. Every character has their own skill charts but they also get new spells based on level. Let's just say devs give us freedom but limited one. Skill are not balanced also. I would say combat is good but not perfect to my liking. Luckily, the game is not grinding feast, you rarely need to grind, except final true boss, you may have to.

Music - Very amusing. I heard many complained about music in DQXI, I don't know why. For me, I think music in this game is classically beautiful. I also heard that they reused many music from previous DQ games but since this is my first DQ game so I have no problem.

Honorable mentioning - Fun sized forge is fun :) The ones who design this mini game are worth praise.

Notable flaw - the game starts very slow until you get 4 guys in party, (approximately 7-8 hrs). In my opinion, it takes too long and on early game you have very few skills, thus it makes combat in early game boring. some people may stop playing before they get in good part, which is sad actually.

....

Conclusion -- DQXI got solid 9/10 for me. Of course, the game still has many little things that I hope they would be better, but with the sheer amount of content, that is why I give a 9. I would love to see more of DQ franchise in PS4 and I hope they improve gameplay further. For those who want to try the game, be warned about slow start, you need to wait until you get 4 players to get real fun (7-8 hrs, so don't give up before then)
  34. Oct 10, 2018
    A really fantastic experience all round, and tour de force of old school nostalgia sprinkled everywhere.

If you (like me) are a fan of the golden age of JRPGS throughout the 90's, then you'll absolutely love this title. It's filled with classics JRPG nuance throughout, complete with fairytale storytelling and big on character development. If I had to give the game one negative, and

If I had to give the game one negative, and the reason this is not a 9, but rather an 8, is the music is awfully repetitive. They have the same music for towns, and the same music for outside town in a number of places, and it repeats throughout the game. If they'd been a little less lazy and created a slightly more varied soundtrack then this would have been a magical 9/10 (I don't believe in 10/10 as this means it's flawless, and I don't believe any game is without a least a few smattering of flaws).#

Either way, the simple summary is this. If you like 90's JRPGs, and like strong, comical characters, with a fun loving, but also quite in depth fairytale storyline, then you'll absolutely love Dragon Questi XI.
  35. Sep 24, 2018
    I have been waiting 14 years for another single player console Dragon Quest game! I am not in the least disappointed, this game is EVERYTHING I was hoping it would be and more. Infinitely more playable and more fun than FFXV. Please fellow gamers, buy this masterpiece so Squeenix localizes future installments! They say that if it does not sell well the localization is in jeopardy.I have been waiting 14 years for another single player console Dragon Quest game! I am not in the least disappointed, this game is EVERYTHING I was hoping it would be and more. Infinitely more playable and more fun than FFXV. Please fellow gamers, buy this masterpiece so Squeenix localizes future installments! They say that if it does not sell well the localization is in jeopardy. Although if they are concerned about sales I am not sure why they'd make it a PlayStation exclusive, but regardless, this is a MUST PLAY game! Expand
  36. Sep 25, 2018
    Best game in years. DQ XI whipes the floor with BotW, that crap doesn't deserves a 10, this game does.
  37. Oct 5, 2018
    This game is the first game in YEARS that has made me miss what I consider the true JRPG genre.

To clarify on that, I personally do not find games like HyperSuperMegaDimension Neptunia and Disgaea to be the true JRPG genre... at least not for audiences in the West. I grew up with games like Chrono (T&C), FF, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire (I-IV), Tales Series (most of them), etc etc etc... games that don't make their sales off of silly comedy and cheap fan-service for grown men (which is why I had my last straw with Star Ocean 5 the moment Fiore walked in, and traded back the game).

BIG BREATH now. So coming into DQ11 after having played through Zelda BotW, FFXV, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Witcher 3 multiple times - all very different kinds of games - I can honestly say I rank it higher than FFXV, and only compare it to BotW because of some... eh... decisions in similarity.

The game is beautiful. And it moves smoothly even in the bigger maps, thanks to short draw distances for enemies. (10/10)

The music isn't as great as that of other jRPGs, or even some other DQ games, but it's certainly at the level of a Tales or Xenoblade games (NOT Xenogears; that's a masterpiece). It's just... fun music. Even the "sad music" doesn't quite get there. But it's pretty enough. (8/10)

Battles are fun. Grinding is mostly very easy. Pep Mode feels like a mini DBZ Fusion dance. Enemy responses are comical sometimes. Nothing too complicated or in-depth. This isn't FFXV. (9.5/10)

Story is, well, this is one of the things that takes me back. The characters and the stories - the silent protagonist, whose reactions to everything are shown through his friend's reactions - are reminiscent of games like Chrono Trigger. I love it, even the predictable bits. I don't get most people who require unpredictability these days. I mean... Chrono Trigger was REALLY predictable. Ciri not actually being dead in Witcher 3 was REALLY predictable, but I still got really sad at the way the scene was done, and the same for Vesimir. As for DQ11... you are NOT supposed to take this as seriously as FFXV... and that was a sad hack of a story in comparison to other FF games. (10/10)

Customization systems are fun. The smithing is fun. It's almost impossible not to have something like that these days in a game, and they found a way to make it completely un-serious. I mean... the damn forge is called the "Fun-Size Forge," and I felt like I was playing Cooking Mama while using it. If that's not fun, I don't know what is. (10/10)

Overall impression - If it wasn't for the fact that I always look for great music in all RPGs in general, Western or japanese, this game would be a 10/10 for me... not because it's perfect, but because it arrives at a time when the genre of JRPGs is full of mostly utter sh*t, and the best JRPG we got before this was probably Persona 5 (originally released 2 years ago in Japan)... with Ni no Kuni 2 following as a far second. (Unfortunatly, BotW doesn't count, and Xenoblades Chronicles 2 was a bit of a disappointment.. ditto on the silly and unnecessary fan-service for that one).
  38. Oct 26, 2018
    200hr +++ and im still having fun, its definitely mty top 5 JRPG of all time
    1. Xenogears
    2. ff7
    3. suikoden 2
    4. persona 4
    5. dragon quest XI
  39. Nov 1, 2018
    Dragon Quest XI ingeniously delivers an engaging and whimsical fantasy, that captured my heart, without ever having to take itself too seriously.
    Long-time fans of the series will undoubtedly enjoy a refreshing take on the traditional Dragon Quest formula, that has endured for 30 years.
    For newcomers, this is excellent starting point, from which to explore the charming narrative and captivating combat that Dragon Quest has always embodied.
  40. Oct 2, 2018
    One of the best RPG I've played in recent times.

I'm really struck by how well taken care of the design of the enemies and their animations.
  41. Nov 7, 2018
    De los mejores RPG que tiene actualmente PS4. No puedes dejar escapar esta oportunidad.
    Las pegas son principalmente la banda sonora, se hace muy (EXTREMADAMENTE) monótona y se lleva mal al ser MIDI.
  42. Oct 29, 2018
    Probably the best JRPG of the past 15 years. :)

Play the game, It's good.
  43. Oct 3, 2018
    Easily one of the best JRPGs released since the PS1/PS2 era. It takes everything great about the genre, and turns it up to 11 (pun intended!). The huge world is absolutely gorgeous and richly detailed, populated by outstandingly modelled and animated enemies. I couldn't recommend this game enough to anyone who is a fan of Final Fantasy 7-10, or loved DQ8. It's simply taken the best partsEasily one of the best JRPGs released since the PS1/PS2 era. It takes everything great about the genre, and turns it up to 11 (pun intended!). The huge world is absolutely gorgeous and richly detailed, populated by outstandingly modelled and animated enemies. I couldn't recommend this game enough to anyone who is a fan of Final Fantasy 7-10, or loved DQ8. It's simply taken the best parts of the storytelling, world building, combat, progression and exploration to the next level. It took me 60 hours just to do the main story, and now there's still heaps of post-game content to complete which I'm really looking forward to.

There's only a few downsides, mainly the slow start (It takes 5-10 hours to really get going - but never stops being amazing afterwards) and the music. I like the music quite a lot, but it's clear they didn't have a huge amount of them. I've heard the same songs constantly for the 60 hours I've played so far, and they're quite repetitive. it doesn't bother me much, but I can understand how some people can absolutely despise it. Also, if you're playing on PS4 Pro, while it looks nice, it can turn into a blurry mess when you turn the camera due to the checkerboard rendering not working well. It's absolutely playable and a great experience on PS4/Pro (constant 30, quick load times) but if you can, I recommend buying it on PC. I know that's how I'll be playing it next time!
  44. Oct 8, 2018
    My first dragon quest experience and one that had turned me into a lifelong fan. Easily the best JRPG I've played. In my opinion this is better than any final fantasy.
  45. Oct 13, 2018
    super mastapeece super mastapeecesuper mastapeecesuper mastapeecesuper mastapeece
  46. Oct 20, 2018
    Dragon Quest XI is a gift to jrpg lovers. It’s magical and fantastic, and its world majestic. The characters are extremely well developed, and venturing with them has been a pleasure from beginning to end. This holds true for every single important npc as well, which is rare these days. The story is simple, but extremely well crafted and thought out, and even then, i promise that it willDragon Quest XI is a gift to jrpg lovers. It’s magical and fantastic, and its world majestic. The characters are extremely well developed, and venturing with them has been a pleasure from beginning to end. This holds true for every single important npc as well, which is rare these days. The story is simple, but extremely well crafted and thought out, and even then, i promise that it will not fail to surprise you from time to time. The turn based combat is as classic as it gets, which means you’ll either love it or hate it.

Artistically speaking, this game is phenomenal through and through. Everything from its character design, to the green fields, dungeons, beautiful towns and the monsters surrounding them, looks and feels magical. The music is extremely good, but also the reason why I’m giving this game a 9 instead of a 10. I really wish we could have gotten an orchestrated version, but as it stands, it’s still really really good.

It took me almost 150 hours to platinum this game on PS4. I seriously found myself wishing this game would never end, but alas, it did. And what an ending. I honestly cannot wait for it to come out on Switch, so I can experience it all over again (and this time in portable mode too!).

Dragon quest XI’s beauty goes beyond words, but if I somehow have to put it shortly, it’s simply one of the best games I’ve ever played, and already found its place in my top 10 games ever.

If you have even the slightest interest in the game, do yourself a favor and get it right now.
  47. Nov 3, 2018
    If you're looking for a well crafted traditional jrpg, then this i the game you've been waiting for...

PROs - AAA production values - art direction amongst the best i've seen in any game, or any entertainment medium for that matter - battle animations and character design look superb, especially later in the game - tons of side quests, final fantasy esque character builder -

PROs
    - AAA production values
    - tons of side quests, final fantasy esque character builder
    - postgame quest after defeating final boss adds longevity
    - 70hrs + gameplay

CONS
    - turn based combat not everyones cup of tea
    - not a true open world.
    - moving around the map can feel clunky. Invisible walls and barriers are a bit jarring
    - too easy on normal difficulty. Towns are a bit overkill and feel a little redundant considering the numerous campsites dotted around the world map. You only seem to visit them for story progression and side quests
  48. Nov 7, 2018
    Dragon Quest XI is the perfect way to get into the popular Japanese series. Amazing presentation, likable characters, engaging story and fun, classic gameplay. Be prepared for over 100 hours of content. Certainly the best JRPG of this gen and one of the best of all time.
  49. Sep 4, 2018
    Absolutely amazing - after a decade of the gaming media trying to force action battles down our throats telling everyone no one likes turn based anymore, here we have a game that tops all of them.
  50. Sep 7, 2018
    This game is fantastic. It is foolish someone continues to vote negative score without review .
  51. Sep 10, 2018
    Dragon Quest XI is the best game i have played in my life and i have played a lot of RPGs that still can not compete with this one. The presentation and the animations could be straight out of an high quality anime movie with good directing, the gameplay is immensely fun with not a single thing that is distracting you (The fact that crafting is a mini game itself is fantastic and it hasDragon Quest XI is the best game i have played in my life and i have played a lot of RPGs that still can not compete with this one. The presentation and the animations could be straight out of an high quality anime movie with good directing, the gameplay is immensely fun with not a single thing that is distracting you (The fact that crafting is a mini game itself is fantastic and it has the best casino out of all Dragon Quest titles) and the main cast of characters are really well written with changed or new aspects of the stereotypes that they are. For instance the "cool guy" is a well thought person but he is not overly smart that it defines his whole character, he is just human. Expand
  52. Sep 5, 2018
    This is one of the best JRPG's of the year, adding to the PS4's great library of JRPG's.
  53. Sep 5, 2018
    Great JRPG with turn based combat that reminds me of the gold old time rpgs. The art and graphics are really good and the vintage sound effects are nice and respect the fans of the franchise.
  54. Sep 5, 2018
    Almost perfect in every way. The best Dragon Quest game to date. Every bit the masterpiece 8 was and more. If Turn Based RPGs are your thing, this is the game to get. Absolutely classic JRPG, and one of the top 5 games for the PS4, and the best Dragon Quest to date.
  55. Sep 17, 2018
    A masterpiece of video games. It made me feel something special again that I had not felt with a video game for years.
    Dragon Quest XI is at the height of the VIII, reaching to exceed it in certain points, it has certainly become one of my favorite games and for sure it is a game that will mark a before and after in the RPG and in the Dragon Quest Saga.
    Excellent music, exceptional story
    Excellent music, exceptional story plot, sublime graphics.
    Honestly I can not speak badly about this game in anything. A perfect game for my liking.
  56. Sep 9, 2018
    A gem amongst a sea of stones.
    Never did i know,a game could feel like home.
    A gem amongst a sea of stones.
    Never did i know,a game could feel like home.
    Ive been searching for a game to truly captivate me like this one has. Ive put countless hours into countless titles, games that have been given high praise yet not once did i find my heart put into these games until now.dragon quest does something a tad bit different from the rest. Theres so much heart and innocence put into it and examples of this shine with every step taken in this beautiful world.there are games that are made to sell,and there are very few games where the creators ideas and real world beliefs are put into its creation,this is one of those very few examples where the body of work is made to express the very creators being in hopes to shine a light within the players dimmed soul. Play this game with an open mind and heart, take the journey slow and steady and i promise youll enjoy every step of the way
  57. Sep 4, 2018
    It´s a great game, the best dragon quest ever, amazing soundtrack, im a nintendo fan.
  58. Sep 8, 2018
    Let me preface this review by saying: Do not let the large amount of negative user scores dissuade you from giving this game a shot. I understand that users can't always be bothered to justify their score with a written review, but I did the math and found that approximately 1 review per 10 negative ratings is about what you should normally expect on average. Yet here we are with 45Let me preface this review by saying: Do not let the large amount of negative user scores dissuade you from giving this game a shot. I understand that users can't always be bothered to justify their score with a written review, but I did the math and found that approximately 1 review per 10 negative ratings is about what you should normally expect on average. Yet here we are with 45 negative scores and not even a single review to back it up... not even a half-baked one. Something's clearly fishy here, and if I had to wager a guess, it's probably the work of people who are fanboys of a certain other IP that also recently got a prominent game release. The type of person who would make a huge fuss about minor graphical "downgrades" and "low" high-80s review scores would probably also be liable to get jealous/angry when a very different game reviews comparably to their darling.

Enough about that though, the game is absolutely fantastic. If you've ever been even remotely curious to give Dragon Quest (or JRPGs in general) a try, this game is an excellent place to finally dive in. It's absolutely gorgeous, has the robust turn-based gameplay that the series is known for, is overflowing with charm at every turn, has a colorful cast of lovable characters starring in a satisfying traditional story told with a refreshing amount of skill and cleverness, has a top-notch localization featuring mostly excellent voice acting, and is just overall an extremely joyful, cozy game to spend dozens of hours with. Some people say it's old school to a fault, but I couldn't disagree more. Its way of doing things are different than other major JRPG releases of the decade, such as Persona 5, but it's no less valid. It's absolutely not just tradition for tradition's sake.

My single biggest criticism would have to be the soundtrack. I personally enjoy it, but in this instance, nostalgia is definitely helping prop it up. It's playful and fun, but fairly repetitive... and the fact it's MIDI is undoubtedly a disappointment. The obnoxiously heavy-handed copyright enforcement is also a bummer. That said, I do think some people are overblowing the music issue a bit... it's not ear-bleedingly bad. The default audio balance has the music too loud relative to sounds and voices though, which might be why some people are finding it so grating. I think turning music volume down to 6 is the sweet spot.

To sum up: Fantastic game... One of the best JRPGs of the last decade, if not all time. Give it a chance.
  59. Sep 9, 2018
    Sad to see this title get rating bombed. This is a top 10 PS4 title without a doubt. The art style is fantastic. I even give it an edge over Ni No Kuni and Breath of the Wild, which have art styles that are somewhat similar.

The gameplay is intuitive. Whenever necessary mechanics will be explained as you progress. When you load a save it gives you a briefing about where you are at in the storyline, which as an older gamer with a not-so-perfect memory I friggin' love that they did this. It is classic JRPG structure at its best. Movement is fluid and responsive. For those familiar with JRPGs I will summarize what they have changed that I think are MAJOR bonuses:
    -Being able to customize hardmode difficulties without some blanket configuration that leaves you guessing what they changed.
    -No more random battles. YAY! You can see enemies on the screen and running away from them is extremely easy. The worst part of old school JRPGs was being out of items and MP and praying you get back into town in time before losing hours of progress.
    -Fast travel via spells including dungeons. Ropes were expensive and annoying to manage. Not anymore. 8)
    -Save points have all sorts of services including ailment curing and resurrections (downside: they cost currency)

The combat is SO good. It has incredible depth and rewards strategy. The one downside is you don't get to truly experience how great it can be without going into hardmode settings, because the base version of the game is a bit too easy to fully flesh this out. The story isn't original by any means and Norse mythology is getting played out very quickly, but the characters are hilarious even if the way they get introduced makes them seem a bit irritating initially. The accents are all over the place and even mismatched with vernacular but I find this gives it a campy feeling that I personally love.

The game is almost fully voiced except for the mute protagonist, non-storyline characters, and some minor dialogue. The mute protagonist is not unusual for JRPGs but it's an "immersion" technique that has not aged well at all. I really wish RPG developers would stop doing this.

My primary complaint is the button mapping cannot be changed except for camera movement (ironic since the camera defaults are the only mappings that feel natural). The mapping is easy to get used to but initially counterintuitive by modern standards, and at times utterly baffling. Accessing the map is bound to square instead of the touchpad, and the options button toggles autorun (wtf?). L2 & R2 can skip/progress dialogue which is a real pain for anyone who puts the controller down. It's EXTREMELY sensitive too. The most minimal contact with L2/R2 can skip an entire screen's worth of dialogue.

I know JRPGs are more popular with older gamers, especially those of us who grew up on the SNES and PS1/2. That said, many of the traditional JRPG elements might not bode well with younger gamers. The repetitive MIDI music, the grinding (necessary for harder modes, not necessary at all for the base gameplay), the "princess is in another castle" plot device, the intentionally cheesy dialogue. Many of us love this stuff though because it's familiar. It will be divisive but these aspects being present are not objectively negative.
  60. Sep 4, 2018
    This is a modern classic it's a old friend returned a comfort a familiarity that's lasted like no other in gaming.....it's Dragon Quest at it's finest ♥️
  61. Sep 5, 2018
    Dragon Quest XI is a throwback to the golden era of JRPG. The modern day graphics, beautiful art style, amazing soundtrack and detail are everything that long-term fans (such as myself) were waiting for. The story is simple, straightforward and captivating. The characters are remarkable and charismatic. The battle system is fast, smooth and fun. The progression, pace and personal reward isDragon Quest XI is a throwback to the golden era of JRPG. The modern day graphics, beautiful art style, amazing soundtrack and detail are everything that long-term fans (such as myself) were waiting for. The story is simple, straightforward and captivating. The characters are remarkable and charismatic. The battle system is fast, smooth and fun. The progression, pace and personal reward is well balanced. I recognize it is not a game for everyone. I would not recommend to people who love action-packed games. Dragon Quest is a rather contemplative series. My final score is 10 (masterpiece)! And game of the year for me! Expand
  62. Sep 19, 2018
    I am going to start this review off by saying I might be a bit biased, considering how I really enjoy the Dragon Quest games.

Dragon Quest XI starts off like most Dragon Quest games. You are a village boy of sixteen years old who goes to meet the king and eventually you have to fight a demonic overlord. It does throw some curve balls, of course. But the big storypoints mostly stay the same.

Now, first of all, the game looks beautiful. It's so colourful and the music is fantastic. Again the character designs are done by Akira Toriyama and your protagonist resembles Android 17 quite a bit. Combat is much unchanged. You can walk around, but your position on the field doesn't really seem to matter.

Overall, the game always kept me entertained and it never felt like a chore playing. Well, almost never. There is some content after the main game that requirers you to go through some Trials that puts you through areas you've already visited. It mainly seems to be used as a fun way to grind to defeat the True Final Boss and it gives you the chance to get better equipment and recipes, so I didn't mind it THAT much. Another thing I disliked was the voice acting, but you can turn that off if you prefer.

In any case, I'd recommend this game to anyone who is a fan of JRPGs. You need no knowledge of the other Dragon Quest games.
  63. Sep 14, 2018
    This is my first Dragon Quest game I've played and so far I'm loving it. Love the art style, characters, voice acting (with accents), story and the turn based combat which I so missed. For me it's one of those games once you start you simply don't want to stop playing. I'm not Square's biggest fan but thank you for this.
  64. Sep 4, 2018
    This game is like going back to the time of ps2, I am very happy to be able to play again in a new installment after so many years!
  65. Sep 5, 2018
    Absolutely amazing - I feel like a kid again playing the first time final fantasy. now so many years later it great to have nice old school jrpgs again.
  66. Sep 13, 2018
    The game-play is great. The story is phenomenal. The music is legendary. The art is beautiful. The progression is perfect. This series is one of the most underrated of all time over here in America, I say no more. Play this game immediately people, it will be the best 100-140 hours of your gaming life
  67. Oct 12, 2018
    Ma note pour Dragon Quest XI a évolué de nombreuses fois, mais maintenant que je l'ai terminé, il est clair qu'il est un des grands du genre, imparfait, certes, parfois rageant, pénible, mais un jeu dont il est certain que l'on le gardera en mémoire pendant de nombreuses années tant il nous fait voyager, et vivre une aventure exceptionnel.

Alors j'avais écris une longue review, qui

Alors j'avais écris une longue review, qui s'allongeait à mesure que je progressais dans le jeu, mais j'ai finalement décidé qu'elle n'avait que peu d'utilité. Je pense qu'il est plus intéressant de dire ceci:

Si vous souhaitez vivre une aventure forte, belle, voyager, explorer, alors procurez vous ce Dragon Quest XI au plus vite !

Mais si vous en avez assez des JRPG classiques, de l'impression de déjà vu, des combats mous, des maps trop détaillées, des inventaires remplis d'objets inutiles ou des scénarios prévisibles, alors il serait judicieux de passer votre chemin, car ici vous ne trouverez pas votre compte.
    (Par contre un petit Persona 5 des familles, ça peut pas faire de mal)
  68. Sep 23, 2018
    I am loving this game brilliant story. Got me back into JRPGs again best one since persona 5. I would recommend this hands down
  69. Sep 4, 2018
    I've never played a dragon quest game, but this game looks incredibly intriguing and I'm willing to give it a shot. Everything that I've seen so far makes this game a must have in my opinion
  70. Sep 7, 2018
    The game is almost perfect, but the Midi soundtracks along with the voice acting is preventing the game to get a perfect score.
    I know the Japan version does not have voice acting, but the Eng Dub is absolutely horrible.
    You feel no passion at all, it's like they ask their own Devs Employees to do overtime by forcing them to do the voice acting of the characters... But yep, almost a

But yep, almost a perfect score! Still giving the game a solid 8.5 out of 10 for the exquisite gameplay and level design, along with the storytelling.

Hopefully they will also add the option to buy the orchestrated soundtracks!
  71. Sep 4, 2018
    simply a dream come true i would never taught that we will one day have a better DQ the DQ8 and 11 just did it im not far unto the game but waw this game is worth a 10
  72. Sep 4, 2018
    Finally after 12 years 4 months and 22 days we have a new main entry on the big console for the Dragon Quest series in Europe. Probably the closest thing ever to a real Dragon Quest 8 successor we could ever get. Unfortunately there is no symphonic sountrack this time.
  73. Sep 10, 2018
    totemo ii game. totemo iiyo... korezo old school na rpg de music mo graphics mo iine.
  74. Nov 23, 2018
    For what it is, it is close to perfect, a classic JRPG. The auto combat (which I never did use) makes combat less tedious for those who feel this way about classic JRPG combat. The game has an engaging story and it gets better and better. The characters grow on you, but to warn people, they are extremely anime, and the game gets pretty silly and close to cringy at times.

My biggest

My biggest complaint is the music during gameplay, it's midi, and a little less memorable than DQ8s soundtrack because of it. DQ8 still sits with me after all these years, the overworld theme there is fantastic and the orchestration of the music there made the whole game so much better. So the first thing you should do is turn down the music volume in the menu.
  75. Nov 26, 2018
    If you enjoyed Dragon Quest 8 as much as I have over the years, this is the game you have been waiting for.

DQ11 takes everything that was great from 8 and expands on it: new ability system, updated combat that works like the Gambit system from FF12, a horse mount that runs at blinding speed, platforming in towns, updated alchemy system, updated saving system-- in short, it's a wonderful game, an old school JRPG with immense charm and many improved features. If you enjoy JRPGS, this must go on your shelf.
  76. Nov 7, 2018
    Dragon Quest XI is already a "modern classic" of the RPG genre. It has everything a Rpg player wants to find in a game. The dream team of Yuji, Toriyama and Koichi made it again.

The story is deep, interesting and complex, and it is a tribute to the whole Dragon Quest saga, the character design is superb and the music (despite no being so powerful like in V,VI or VIII) is really good.

The game play is the classic one even more polished, with a talent system which allow players to have tons of combat and party settings and variations.

This game will be remembered, as other gems of the genre are, as a must play. Let the legend of Dragon Quest continue!
  77. Nov 25, 2018
    Great game, i loved it sooo much ! This is how i love a JRPG turn-based game. Worth all the money i invested in.
  78. Nov 25, 2018
    Best JRPG I have played in a long time. You just don't see turn-based combat done well anymore. Glad I bought this well worth it. I have spent a few hundred hours on it and there is still more to do.
  79. Nov 27, 2018
    This was a fun game and at first you find the idea of using the old school music and sound effects as charming but it quickly wears thin after 8-10 hours. The gameplay itself is your standard classic turn based JRPG which is not a bad thing. Too many companies now try to over complicate RPG's now so it is nice to have a straight forward system. Part of the reason I have given this an 8This was a fun game and at first you find the idea of using the old school music and sound effects as charming but it quickly wears thin after 8-10 hours. The gameplay itself is your standard classic turn based JRPG which is not a bad thing. Too many companies now try to over complicate RPG's now so it is nice to have a straight forward system. Part of the reason I have given this an 8 instead of higher is because of the end of part two that leads into part three. I won't spoil it but I just felt like the whole "resolve everything with altering time" is played out. It didn't even feel necessary when it first happens as the reason revolves around characters you barely ever deal with. Second is the voice acting which is absolutely AWFUL. It seriously is one of the worst voice acted games I've ever heard. If They put the Japanese voice over work into this, I'd probably bump this to a 9 but thankfully the gameplay is so enjoyable I only knocked it down to an 8. Still this is worth playing but play knowing you'll probably mute or turn down the volume many times while playing. Expand

1. games(TM)
    Nov 1, 2018
    Disappointingly by the books, but has charm. [Issue#206, p.82]
  2. Oct 29, 2018
    The sheer density of content in the main quest means it will take a staggering amount of time to complete. Compounded with some entertaining and charmingly written side-quests, this journey breaks the 100 hour mark easily. There can be a few too many instances of catering to the lowest common denominator that even the hard mode modifiers can't fix, but if it means more people can enjoy this amazing game, then so be it. The only thing holding back what could be almost a masterpiece for the genre is its terrible soundtrack.
  3. Sep 30, 2018
    Dragon Quest XI brings in the old to the new, but any doubt I had about it may be too old-school for its own good were thrown out of the window - this kind of JRPG belongs in the modern era gaming.