8.1

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1985 Ratings

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Jan 27, 2015
    Just another unoptimized console port. very little options to adjust and even high end rigs are getting 40fps at best. The game itself is bugged to hell and back. I really have to wonder what they did during all these delays because they sure as hell didn't work on the game. Bottom line DO NOT BUY ON PC
  2. Aug 18, 2018
    You know when your dog pukes, and the dog keeps going back to eat it over and over again, hoping it'll taste good eventually? That's what it's like for me playing this game. The controls are clunky. You are outnumbered to the nth degree. The combat is terrible. You play as an asthmatic soyboy who does almost no damage and can't swing a weapon for more than 5 seconds in a parkour zombieYou know when your dog pukes, and the dog keeps going back to eat it over and over again, hoping it'll taste good eventually? That's what it's like for me playing this game. The controls are clunky. You are outnumbered to the nth degree. The combat is terrible. You play as an asthmatic soyboy who does almost no damage and can't swing a weapon for more than 5 seconds in a parkour zombie survival game. Guns attract zombies that will dodge all your bullets and eat you; and ammo is scarce. The plot is awful. The characters are flat. The resources are scarce to the point I'm usually running around with 35 health constantly because I can't heal or feel like I won't have resources for a medkit. I have sunk about 15-16 hours into this game and I'm at level 10 at every skill set and it's still godawful to play at 22% completion. Level ups do NOT increase your survivability in this terrible excuse of a game. I have given it a chance. I am done. I got this on sale and still feel so incredibly ripped off. I do not know who would enjoy this piece of crap. Save your money. Expand
  3. Mar 11, 2015
    What a mediocre snooze-fest....zzzz

I was looking forward to this game from the very first showing, but as time grew closer and I started to see more and more gameplay I felt we were in for another Watch Dogs like, deceitful marketing campaign. Firstly, the graphics, all the lead up material was amazing - clearly the amped-up PC version that did not make it to retail versions. The
    What a mediocre snooze-fest....zzzz

The gameplay...OMG, talk about "been there done that" a thousand times before. Worst lip sync for the characters, go here - do that old-school gameplay, NPC's that are like stupid mannequins that say the same inane dialogue over and over again and don't even acknowledge if you are near them, CLUNKY as hell fighting mechanics, the parkour gets old real quick, the zombies are so laughably stupid during the day that they never feel like a threat... I could go on but I'm so over this game. Very disappointing...

This game will appeal to those who like Dead Island and no one beyond that.

It's like watching paint dry...
  4. Mar 5, 2015
    Crappy engine, graphics are not all that good. (Far Cry engine i presume?) i can't see anything while running.

Story: abhorrently shallow and aimed at low-iq teens. Audio: why is the voice of the main character 3 times louder than everyone elses? and all i hear are zombies moaning whilst there are none in the vicinity. i guess that adds up to the failed atmosphere the designers were

Story: abhorrently shallow and aimed at low-iq teens.

Audio: why is the voice of the main character 3 times louder than everyone elses? and all i hear are zombies moaning whilst there are none in the vicinity. i guess that adds up to the failed atmosphere the designers were trying to create.

Core gameplay: "parkour", infuriating. i've fallen to death too many times due to clumsily implemented "parkour" mechanics.

Missions: frustrating. they all seem to revolve around the same thing: annoying the player to hell on how he should "get up there on that specific ledge" so he can finish the mission.

Crafting system is also a joke.

In short: Frustrating and annoying gameplay, Dead island was a better game than this, it at least had a fun factor. worst money i've spend on a game in years.
  5. Mar 3, 2015
    Honestly the first hour of the game is really fun. Its different and kind of new until you get out of the prologue. Once thats over then its a remake of dead island with a small bit of parkour here and there. The parkour is fun but it gets very repetitive. Drop kicking zombies into spikes is fun for a couple of hours but gets really old after a while. The combat system is pretty bad,Honestly the first hour of the game is really fun. Its different and kind of new until you get out of the prologue. Once thats over then its a remake of dead island with a small bit of parkour here and there. The parkour is fun but it gets very repetitive. Drop kicking zombies into spikes is fun for a couple of hours but gets really old after a while. The combat system is pretty bad, pretty much the same as dead island. Same with the weapon crafting. The weapons look cool but don't work all that well. The quests get very repetitive after a while its usually pick something up and then deliver it back at the tower. I had high aspirations for the game but its almost a copy and paste from dead island in an urban environment with small aspects of parkour. Expand
  6. Oct 22, 2015
    Last gen style gameplay. I had a steel pipe that broke after like 2 zombies. All the zombies look the same. Maybe it gets better. The first hour or so is aweful. Sent it back to gamefly.
  7. Mar 9, 2015
    dying light is not fun. this game is really annoying and the gameplay is incredibly boring. I never played a videogame with a poor and boring conception of gameplay like dying light. I like open world videogames but this game feels old and annoying after only one hour of gameplay. Basically the game is: run from point A to point B without dying and avoiding the zombie hordes. that's it. Idying light is not fun. this game is really annoying and the gameplay is incredibly boring. I never played a videogame with a poor and boring conception of gameplay like dying light. I like open world videogames but this game feels old and annoying after only one hour of gameplay. Basically the game is: run from point A to point B without dying and avoiding the zombie hordes. that's it. I knew that dying light was a survival game but the weapons and guns, survivor skills, agility and fight upgrades, are useless. It works until you run and avoid the zombies or enemies , but if you try to face them and/or fight them is inevitable to die constantly because your weapons are useles, the bullets and guns are rare (the aiming system with R3 button is the most idiot thing I ever seen in a videogame), and when you die , your last experience points earned are reset, the game respawn randomly , and always away from the mission . The problem is that after the first missions, you have to fight and the game becomes frustrating and unplayable , your weapons immediately deteriorate , they do little damage , so during the missions you waste time looking around for other weapons . I'm sorry I had high expectations for this game , but the reality is that dying light is one of the worst games I've ever played . Expand
  8. Feb 11, 2015
    Dying Light can be summed up in one sentence uttered by my wife: "It seems hard to make that boring." And I'll admit, it does seem difficult to make a game about a special forces operator during the zombie apocalypse boring, but somehow they've managed to do it. The other, more specific one line summation would be: Dead Island with parkour.

Dying Light starts off on a great note with a

Dying Light starts off on a great note with a great opening cutscene and good opening scene, and goes down hill from there. It doesn't make me feel very good to say the highpoint of the game was the opening cutscene but it's true. Once I had control and was actually playing I was all hyped up and looking forward to what appeared to be a lengthy and immersive zombie survival game. And then...it just wasn't very fun.

I'm not a huge fan of parkour in games, or really platforming in general, but I can live with and it won't stop me from playing a game I otherwise enjoy. Dying Light's parkour, however, is frustrating and a bit arcane. Mission objectives will be above you with no path up to be found that left me jumping around trying to find a way up, only to discover some path that seemed completely unrealistic after a frustrated ten minutes. Not only can it be frustrating to get from point A to point B in a mission, but the missions themselves aren't very good. It's a game of fetch quests for the most part which left me having to force myself to do another mission.

The world itself is beautiful, and the game overall looks very nice. The voice acting isn't very well done and detracts from the game. I found the characters I was interacting with grating, and the story not very enthralling. Combat isn't very entertaining, and the crafting system wasn't overly inspiring.

I'll admit, I didn't finish the game, which for me is pretty rare. I tend to go for platinums in games, and feel bad about not finishing them. I tend to be someone who sticks with a game for a while. But I just couldn't with Dying Light. It just wasn't fun. I wanted to like the game. I liked the idea of the game. For two weeks I kept trying to play the game over and over, but it was a chore, and to me a game is meant to be fun. I know it's not the most in depth review, and there is more to write, but it would just be repeating "it's not very good" in different ways, which isn't fun to read.

I would recommend avoiding Dying Light altogether, though if you enjoyed the Dead Island series you might enjoy the game. I would still recommend, even then, waiting a month or two until the price drops and buying it on the cheap.
  9. Feb 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dont buy this game it was fun untill you get to the last level its a tedious parkor fest with a quick time event at the end. And no replayability at the end. Waste of 60 bucks. Expand
  10. Feb 13, 2015
    Nice graphic (sunsets, sunrises)... that's all. Other things (included gameplay) is totally bored. Useless parkour, no clear storyline, useless crafting etc. etc. RPG ? where is RPG? I'd like to have this map to play in other FPS games only. Thats' all. P.S. Multiplayer game is bored and unbalanced too.

I've 20+ experience in gaming.
  11. Feb 2, 2015
    I'll be upfront, I am rating this game on multiplayer content. Specifically the "Be a Zombie" mode for PS4. If you bought this game, like me at full price, expecting an extra fun piece of content, you will not get it. "The Be a Zombie" mode is unstable at best and completely non functioning 95% of the time on PS4 and 50% of the games you DO connect to, the other team will disconnect.I'll be upfront, I am rating this game on multiplayer content. Specifically the "Be a Zombie" mode for PS4. If you bought this game, like me at full price, expecting an extra fun piece of content, you will not get it. "The Be a Zombie" mode is unstable at best and completely non functioning 95% of the time on PS4 and 50% of the games you DO connect to, the other team will disconnect. For me and anyone else who bought this game early to access "exclusive content", this game has no value. Had I known this, I would have waited months or years for the expected price drop to experience the above average single player content and been adequately satisfied with it. This is yet another lesson this round of the console wars to stop pre ordering and "first day" purchasing of new games until developers can deliver promised content. Expand
  12. Apr 8, 2015
    What a surprise; another zombie game. Nothing groundbreaking here. Just another generic game riding the zombie bandwagon. If you're one of the few people who don't have a hard on for The Walking Dead, this game won't appeal to you.

It's mostly comprised of cliche plot, uninspired textures and redundant fetch quests. Most objectives are those of a middle aged soccer mom running around

Most objectives are those of a middle aged soccer mom running around town doing errands on foot because her minivan is in the shop. "Collect the crayons?" Really?!

Feels like I'm playing through the leveling-up process of an MMORPG without the reward of an endgame.
    Oh yeah, there are zombies in it, though, so it automatically gets a 7+ score.

If only I could travel 10 or so years into the future to escape this mundane zombie game phase the world has fallen into.

The only reason I gave it a 2 instead of a 0 was the title. "Dying Light" is a great reflection of the mood of the game's weary denizens. Too bad the character development and plot didn't delve deeply enough into that theme.
  13. Apr 27, 2015
    I was honestly extremely hyped for this game ever since I first saw it, and honestly it was one of the biggest dissapointments ever. I had to apologize to my friends who I got to buy it to play with me, as we all returned it within the first 2 days of it's release. The game was just boring, and when you feel fatigued and tired within the first 10 minutes of playing a brand new $60 game,I was honestly extremely hyped for this game ever since I first saw it, and honestly it was one of the biggest dissapointments ever. I had to apologize to my friends who I got to buy it to play with me, as we all returned it within the first 2 days of it's release. The game was just boring, and when you feel fatigued and tired within the first 10 minutes of playing a brand new $60 game, it's not right. Also the main reason I got it was to play WITH friends. This aspect of the game failed, as every time I tried to play with my friends, we would lag out of the game in under 3 minutes EVERY SINGLE TIME. This game is awful, wouldn't even play it for free, have much better games that deserve my time. 0/10. Expand
  14. Feb 8, 2015
    Unresponsive controls, disgusting sensitivity, extremely boring game play. This game wins the best prize for worst game, ever. I have died a zillion time so these people can make a buck and extend a gameplay. I am so furious that I am getting my money back. DON'T buy this....X!
  15. Feb 6, 2015
    Horrible game play, always impairing your vision, Climbing just to make you climb, Slows down alot.. Just boring. When you die they spawn you far from where you were at. Game companies always focus on Graphics and not game play.
  16. Feb 8, 2015
    I can only say this ... DO NOT BUY ITS WAY EXPENSIVE . For consoles (ps4 for me) yo will fight bugs more than zombies at couple of hours in . Its my opinion but dont let me stop you .
  17. May 1, 2015
    I HATE this **** game! Far Cry meets The Last of Us, intriguing concept, yet very poorly executed! The combat is ridiculous and you die all the **** time! Now, some of you Mamma's boys living in her basement, may consider me a "noob", well I am a little bit. I have played over a hundred different games on all of the Playstations, but I sold my PS3 in 2009 one year after I had gotten it,I HATE this **** game! Far Cry meets The Last of Us, intriguing concept, yet very poorly executed! The combat is ridiculous and you die all the **** time! Now, some of you Mamma's boys living in her basement, may consider me a "noob", well I am a little bit. I have played over a hundred different games on all of the Playstations, but I sold my PS3 in 2009 one year after I had gotten it, for financial reasons, and I've only just gotten my PS4 last fall, and only got 6 games of completely different genres. Well, guess what, I didn't live during the NES era so I don't appreciate ridiculously hard games where I die all the time like the Angry Video Game Nerd. I appreciate games where I can chill and play pretend I'm God. Like InFAMOUS or Minecraft or WoW (yes the only two PC games I play). You do die in those games, but at least you don't loose your **** XP every time you die!!! The skills are all ridiculous, and not at all worth upgrading to, because you could easily play this game without upgrading, and yet have almost the exact same gameplay experience as if you hadn't. I appreciate games where you have to think a little bit before you react, in order to advance, but even when I do, if I'm surrounded by a zombie crowd of more than 4, I loose almost all my health and I have to constantly heal myself WITH A MEDKIT!!! The **** developers might as well not have put "food" in the game, because they only heal you for about 5 **** H **** P! The materials for a medkit is actually pretty scarce, so unless you want to roam the city for materials all day instead of completing missions, then good luck, because it's gonna take forever! You could buy them from the "shops" but even they've only got 1 medkit a day IF YOU'RE LUCKY! When you're not fighting zombies then you're fighting the bandits, and they are even more hardcore than the zombies, and ALWAYS IN PACKS OF 3 OR 4, you almost always have to use your molotovs on them and even then, every time there's always 2 that survives, and you have to hit them a million times before they die, and you still gotta watch out for zombies attacking you from behind... The shield doesn't matter, and I hate that you cannot have both your 1h weapons and shield active at the same time, instead of one of each. Don't even get me started on the 2h weapons and the laughable skill "upgrades" you can get from them. Oh, and the side quests... Are too **** LONG!!! They're called side quests for a reason Techland! You only have to complete ONE GIVEN TASK, on a side quest, but somehow you still have to complete 2 or 3 or FOUR whole tasks, running around from one end of the city to the next in order to finish them! And when you do finish one quest, then it's already night and you've got to go to your nearest safe spot, unless you want the super hardcore **** zombies to kill you instantly and chase you around. It's no use to "sneak around" them because even if you do, you never know if the slow lazy zombies are right next to you because of the P.O.V. and your poor flashlight. The day is too soon gone in this **** game, so it feels like you practically don't really have a choice between choosing day or night gameplay, which is **** up, especially since the developers think that 9:00 PM is NIGHT???!?! HAHAHA! Where on earth is 9 o'clock "night" unless it's winter time, which it clearly isn't supposed to be in Harran. I'm only like 36% in the story line and this is the first time I can honestly say I'm very tired and very close to giving up and putting it on my shelf, next to all the other games I've completed 100%, this early in and just spend my hard earned money on another game! This is just a big slap in the face, and I don't appreciate it! What ever happened to difficulties??? The quests, the game's telling you are "easy" or "medium" are more often than not as difficult as "hard", even the lock picking! You can't tell the difference. If game developers don't know about or the difference between difficulties and the joy of letting the GAMERS CHOOSE THEIR OWN BATTLES so to speak, then there is no hope for this industry that's becoming increasingly snobby and "artistic". And not in Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic or GTA or Assassin's Creed kind of way, but in the French art house movie kind of way. Please let my feedback be read by some of you developers so you don't **** your next game in the ass! Expand
  18. May 29, 2016
    Bought it as rated quite good on the listings. Bitter disappointment. It is extremely repetitive. No real challenge and gameplay just becomes boring and uninteresting very quick. Story not so good
  19. Nov 22, 2015
    A promising game with so many good things about it, but the fact of the matter is that some truly awful game design, some painfully cliched characters/writing, and a raft of infuriating bugs make this a case of what could have been. Still worth playing, but you'd better have some patience if you're going to make it all the way through.
  20. Jan 13, 2016
    I'm confused at all these rave reviews about this game. People saying the graphics are amazing??...they're just not, and the enemy AI is awful, along with the voice acting and story, I found it completely unremarkable.

The explanation for the button layout is pretty stupid saying it 'aids the free running', when if you consider games where you jump and climb all over (Dishonoured) that use standard trigger settings and are still totally playable, it makes little sense.

As for the environment, I found dead island far more interesting, colourful and varied, and to be honest I enjoyed the game more. The enemies in dying light are boring and seem to have had little to no effort put into their design...they're just grey.

All in all I think this game was poorly put together, the voice acting and gameplay make it seem like a rush job, along with the unnecessarily fiddly controls (going against the tried and tested button layouts never pays off.) I didn't enjoy this as much as dead island.

21. May 17, 2021
    A game based on zombies and parkour. Where both elements are poor and not-funny at all.
    Really a bad game, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone honestly.
  22. Jan 31, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Troféus on LINE, um deles Exige fazer 5 missões em coop com mais 3 players.
    Jogo razoável no modo história, platina muito chata de ser realizada.
  23. Jun 27, 2020
    Game feels sluggish and clunky especially when attacking , also not a fan of parkour in first person
  24. Jan 1, 2022
    Dying light has unique world, specially parkour and open world zombie, sounds great. I played this game at ps4, and game optimaztion is really bad, sometimes you cant get even 20fps. I'm sure it is better at PC, but since game realeased with full priced, i have full rights to say, this game, need tons of work
    Enemy respawn is ridicilous, sometimes i feel like game dont let me move forward, i died many times, cuz, zombies keep respanding next to me. Easy side quest, sometimes harder than main missions. I played 53% story line and couldnt play more. Easy mission , i have to take object and leave place, but zombies keep attacking you, it doesnt have an end. It feels endless. They really need to work on this. I hope new dying light wont repeat same mistake as the 1st game.
    I'd love to finish the game, but already deleted, and will never come back, no matter, how much effort you put, you dont feel like, you are developing.This game d oesnt deserve full price
  25. Jul 16, 2022
    Положительный отзыв недоступен в вашем регионе!
  26. Feb 21, 2022
    Fanboys are gonna fanboy. Repetitive nonsense bogs the game down. The combat sucks. The parkour is SO overrated and done very poorly if anyone is being honest. The story was written by someone with a head injury. It is dumb and often you find yourself wondering how this situation is happening because common sense does not exist. It loses any and all charm within a couple hours and neverFanboys are gonna fanboy. Repetitive nonsense bogs the game down. The combat sucks. The parkour is SO overrated and done very poorly if anyone is being honest. The story was written by someone with a head injury. It is dumb and often you find yourself wondering how this situation is happening because common sense does not exist. It loses any and all charm within a couple hours and never regains it. You can’t even compliment it on being unique. It isn’t. It’s another zombie game except for some reason you get a plank of wood to start and it takes 20 bashes to hurt them. Others you’re just supposed to run and do stupidly impossible jumps and make them look easy. Also you’re supposed to just have basic electrician knowledge, for example what a power box looks like and where to find it. They’ll just send you out to turn them on and not even show you a picture. Weird huh? Common sense doesn’t exist with these developers. But like I said, fanboys are gonna fanboy. Buy it if you are into the hype. I can’t stop you from wasting money. Expand
  27. Feb 7, 2022
    This game is really great. however, what I like about this game is that I don't have to listen to the ITALIAN language. Bravo Techland
  28. Feb 14, 2022
    They should be embarrassed they put this out in this state, have to turn off then back on after EVERY check point! Unacceptable.
    The sad part is its not a bad game but just put out broken. as of now I cant even play online with friends.
  29. Jun 29, 2022
    Glad i've tried it before buying the 2. Not sure why it's loved and Dead Island trashed, maybe WB marketing power. Dead Island has a coherent survival gameworld, meaning a no Z respawn zone around the player and noises indicating Z presence nearby. In Dying light Z respawn near the player indefinitely and approach in complete silence. Simply broken as survival game. Associated with questsGlad i've tried it before buying the 2. Not sure why it's loved and Dead Island trashed, maybe WB marketing power. Dead Island has a coherent survival gameworld, meaning a no Z respawn zone around the player and noises indicating Z presence nearby. In Dying light Z respawn near the player indefinitely and approach in complete silence. Simply broken as survival game. Associated with quests pattern based on searching the tiny entrance to some building it's a complete chore. Parkour is fun but forced by the absence of fast travel. And ultimately useless since the fast Z can climb on the roofs. The rest works just fine now and it's still updated. Expand
  30. Sep 14, 2022
    I don't know how this trash can be called a game.

I don't know how this trash can be called a game.

Literally everything in Dying Light does not work: the zombies are so OP that even with a lot of hits they still stay alive while those with an hammer have a “Wi-Fi” attack (they manage to hit you even if you are several meters away), parkour 2 out of 3 times does not work, missing the holds where you would like to hang, the missions themselves do not work (example: 2 secondary missions, such as "the outposts" and "radio tower", are almost impossible to complete following continuous crashes for no apparent reason).

Side quests are boring, repetitive, very long and there are lots of them. Furthermore, the construction of the various rooms you visit is always the same, serving only to confuse the player.

Dungeons where you enter during side quests (for example closed apartments) are mazes, each door either does not open from your side or it is impossible to interact with it and sometimes the doors with zombies behind them do not open due to some strange bug.

The protagonist Kyle Crane can climb any type of construction (not even Spider-man is at the same level as him) but when you need to climb a rock he suddenly forgets how to hang on, resulting in a fall to the ground with death.

During my gameplay I almost immediately dedicated myself to free all the shelters, but after a few days those in Old Town were to be freed again, and I honestly couldn't figure out why.

Playing with my friends, we decided to dedicate ourselves to completing all the side quests and after completing several of them, we went back to our game worlds to see which ones we were missing and ... surprise! Some quests we had done together weren't counted as completed even though they were synchronized.

As for the story it can be said that it is quite mediocre and the gameplay consists of going from point A to point B to point C, and then back to point A, meeting a few hundred zombies along the way. Throughout the story you will face like 3 bosses, while the rest are just enemies that you can either kill or ignore.

To continue, even the DLC "The Bozak Horde" does not make sense: in fact, in addition to being frustrating and boring, it often happened that I or one of my friends crashes, but this only happened in groups of 3 (I don't know if even for groups of 4 is like this), making us waste only time, and in addition ALL the trophies are buggy.

As for the DLC "The Following" we can not say anything other than yet another failure. The story that characterizes it is slightly better than the main game but still trivial, while the gameplay is not based on parkour, but in using vehicles to reach the indicated places: where is the problem? The map is huge but empty, so without a vehicle the road is really long and if you don't have enough materials to repair the only thing that allows you to actually play the game, you are forced to cross a wasteland on foot, losing dozens of minutes. On top of all this, occasional bugs can't be missing, such as various overlapping NPC talks or meaningless side quests.

A warning to anyone who wants to try to get all the trophies: don't do it, it's not worth your sanity.
  31. Feb 14, 2023
    honestly a god awful story but the gameplay is so good you forget about it.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 58 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Apr 22, 2015
    A slightly better version of Dead Island in everything but name. [Apr 2015, p.84]
  2. Play UK
    Mar 31, 2015
    With some crazy fun online elements and a badass sense of actual achievement, Dying Light is the zombie game we've been working for. Just mute those terrible voices. [Issue#254, p.64]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 24, 2015
    It's not perfect, but Dying Light is last, brutal and most importantly, fun. [April 2015, p74]