- Publisher: D3Publisher
- Release Date: Apr 11, 2019
- Also On: PC
- Summary: The furious battle against the invader Aggressors is full of chaos. Includes 50+ severe missions, where you must fight against gigantic enemy creatures and huge invader weapons in 5 different difficulties. You will become the legendary mobile soldier which controls 4 different PA Gears,The furious battle against the invader Aggressors is full of chaos. Includes 50+ severe missions, where you must fight against gigantic enemy creatures and huge invader weapons in 5 different difficulties. You will become the legendary mobile soldier which controls 4 different PA Gears, several hundreds weapons, arms and items. Regain hope to human beings. Includes character creation mode. You can select your favorite gender, face, hair style, weight, voice and outfit. You can also change the personality of yourself. When playing the off-line mode, the split-screen will be supported. Also, when playing the on-line mode, you can co-op with other EDF members around the world.… Expand
- Developer: Yuke's
- Genre(s): Action, Shooter, Third-Person, Arcade
- # of players: Up to 8
- Cheats: On GameFAQs
- More Details and Credits »
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain - Second Trailer
Positive: 18 out of 49
Mixed: 30 out of 49
Negative: 1 out of 49
Apr 26, 2019It is probably the purest throw back to the run and gun shooters of old.
Apr 11, 2019I just can’t quit Iron Rain. It’s just too addictively fun to give up on and any EDF fan that’s been around long enough is most likely used to these games having a few blemishes. In the case of Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain, in particular, the good definitely outweighs the bad.
Apr 18, 2019The perfect addition to the series. Earth Defense Force 5 made improvements but it still felt like it was slavishly committed to the way earlier EDF titles operated. Iron Rain is different. It finally taking itself more seriously, which may or may not resonate with every player, but the end-to-end revamp in the way the game works on every level is exactly what the series needed to keep pushing forward.
Apr 11, 2019Although Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain attempts to take the franchise in a bold new direction, the latest installment in the long-running series makes too many mistakes to be anything other than a letdown.
Apr 16, 2019Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain offers players with a nice change of pace from the hyper-connected and competitive nature of contemporary gaming, with a game that actually feels like a game.
Apr 29, 2019Character creation could have had a little bit more variety, but the feature does make it easier to empathize with your character, which benefits the more serious tone of the scenario. However, the balance between item prices and the amount of currency you can obtain make it hard for the player to spend money when needed, which makes the game less enjoyable as a whole. There are several other issues such as bullet-sponge enemies, resulting in an experience that can be hard to enjoy.
Apr 11, 2019A more grounded approach and a fresh coat of paint fail to address the series’ inherent flaws, as the cheesy charm of fighting giant insects is lost in the process.
Positive: 9 out of 21
Mixed: 5 out of 21
Negative: 7 out of 21
Apr 12, 2019Long overdue..
The game is addicting for sure..
Sucks that it isn't on Xbox & PC/steam. Exclusives benefit nobody!!! Yeah I own a PS4, butLong overdue..
The game is addicting for sure..
Sucks that it isn't on Xbox & PC/steam.
Exclusives benefit nobody!!!
Yeah I own a PS4, but no I don't own stock in the company nor do I work there.
So why would I pretend as much..This exclusivity hurts all.
And esp most kids who only have 1 console..
Aside from that rant, EDF is fun.. im still sucked into the amazing EDF 5...… Expand
Apr 12, 2019Really fun twist on EDF, a bit westernized. If you're going in expecting EDF 6 you will be very dissapointed. The game is still a good timeReally fun twist on EDF, a bit westernized. If you're going in expecting EDF 6 you will be very dissapointed. The game is still a good time however and does keep some of that classic EDF corniness and silly gameplay we all love.
The character customization is awesome and one of the things i'd love to see in the mainline series.
If you are an EDF die hard then i totally suggest you play this game.… Expand
Apr 11, 2019As a longtime fan of the EDF series, I love this game. I like the way the new mechanics and enemies mix up the classic formula, whileAs a longtime fan of the EDF series, I love this game. I like the way the new mechanics and enemies mix up the classic formula, while retaining the core elements that make it so fun. The graphics are very good, especially compared to the main series entries.
Overall, this is a very solid action shooter and a great new EDF entry.… Expand
Apr 12, 2019I've played every console version of EDF that has come out in North America. After EDF 5 came out, my wife started playing with me, and we'veI've played every console version of EDF that has come out in North America. After EDF 5 came out, my wife started playing with me, and we've spent 157 hours on it (44% complete) since launch. For my birthday, she gave me a gift card that I used to preorder this, after some hesitation based on the previews and what I'd read about it.
Last night we played the first 5 levels of Iron Rain...
I had been awhile since I played Insect Armageddon, so I played it for about an hour a few weeks back to remind myself what it was like. Iron Rain is strikingly like that, so far. It's better, sure. But it really feels like EDF:IA was the starting template for this.
My observations so far:
• Nothing seems to have much weight to it – by that I mean everything so far seems to be somewhat floaty.
• Your turning speed is really, really slow, and when you aren't running it feels like you're moving through molasses.
• The weapon sounds lack oomph. The starting assault rifle feels like a popgun, and runs out of bullets crazy fast.
• The "time the 'x' button press to reload quicker" from EDF:IA is back for at least one of the weapons; the starting rocket launcher.
• I saw a ball of ants crawling around each other in midair.
• "No weapon and armor pickups" is just not EDF. You have to buy everything, including armor upgrades, and the prices scale such that you have a _lot_ of grinding ahead of you, unless later levels give more credits. Even the things you unlock after completing a mission have to be bought before you can use them. Very capitalist, and feels like they were on the edge of allowing microtransactions to speed up the process.
• The addition of support items is nice : the cost charged against you for using them is not. I don't recall the exact amounts, but it seems like tossing one of the starting grenades costs 300, and using a health kit costs 500. When a level only gives you around 2,000 credits, that's absurd and a huge disincentive toward using them.
• The camera can get caught in the scenery and in other objects. Seriously? Yes. Seriously.
• Whatever crystals you are carrying are ejected when you have to respawn, like Sonic's rings, but at least you can pick them back up. Also, you can respawn a few times without needing to be revived, which is nice. But if you run out, and the other player isn't carrying the item that can be used to revive you (at a cost deducted from the credits you earn for the level), you'll have to restart the level.
• The graphics look like crap when playing in split-screen. Jagged. Not great.
• The interface in character customization is just dumb. Don't make me scroll through 15 identical (excluding color) pairs of pants to get to the next clothing type. Subcategorize those things. Sure, having a long list looks impressive, but it's a lie and tedious to navigate.
• The strength of your enemies ramps up fast, and they quickly become bullet sponges, at least on Normal.
• Weapons aren't upgradable. That's one addition introduced in EDF 5 that we've really enjoyed, and it feels oddly missing from this. As crappy as it is when you buy it, is as crappy as it stays until you buy something else.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I've written enough. My conclusion is that this game _isn't_ EDF, except in name only. It's, at best, EDF-ish. I'm not giving up though, and I hope it grows on us over time. But I expect we will be going back to EDF 5 before long. For now I give it 5 out of 10. Very "meh".
We spent a few more hours with it tonight, and it's slowly growing on us. However the last mission we completed, where you are first able to take down the giant spider-like walker is _rough_ if you don't have long range, hard-hitting weapons equipped. The hatch only stays open for what felt like 15 seconds at a time, and it's several minutes between each time it opens. That was a grind.… Expand
Jun 25, 2020I enjoyed my time with this game, but it is technically flawed and many design choices are rather baffling.
I loved the advances it made inI enjoyed my time with this game, but it is technically flawed and many design choices are rather baffling.
I loved the advances it made in many areas, but it feels like they also make the clunkiness even more apparent.
Often it feels like the game is just flat out cheating to make you lose, and PvP is barren and clearly half-baked with no real thought put into it.
PvE is excellent, though netcode feels clunky.
I still enjoyed it, but it has severe technical difficulties.… Expand
Oct 7, 2019This game is terrible. Seriously, it’s not EDF! I’m not sure what it is, but it is **** Got bored after a single play through, which, for anThis game is terrible. Seriously, it’s not EDF! I’m not sure what it is, but it is **** Got bored after a single play through, which, for an EDF game says a lot! The aiming is clunky and far from being snappy, the guns/weapons just aren’t fun to use, no satisfying thump to them. And the hordes of enemies across sprawling maps are gone, the maps are now incredibly small in comparison. Another really annoying point to mention is the absolutely terrible writing and voice acting! Just the worst I’ve ever heard! EDF games, especially 5, are genuinely funny at times! It might be daft and sometimes cheesy but they pull it off to the point where it’s actually fantastic in a B-movie kind of way. One other point to mention is that hardly anyone is playing online. My friend and I were playing for about four hours and not one person joined our game, also, not once have we found an active lobby, not once and it’s no wonder. Play EDF 5 it’s great fun! And the lobbies are always active.… Expand
Mar 6, 2020DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS
Acceleration of the rotation, you can't disable. rubbish AI Limited everything stupid PENALTIES forDO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS
Acceleration of the rotation, you can't disable.
stupid PENALTIES for using any EQUIPMENT ( I didn't use ANYTHING since started because of it)
no communication phrases
can't point at stuff like in 4.1
boring stupid weapons with dull design you have to unlock and then f**g BUY
90% mobs are ignoring AI soldiers
NPC AI is a trash
piece of hot garbage in comparison to any other EDF games… Expand