7.0

1. Dec 26, 2017
    Sadly, I am such an old git now that I was around as a kiddie for the original...which I played to death. I simply had to buy the new version. Am I disappointed? No. I love it. But do I recommend this game for everyone? Absolutely not. This game will fit a specific psyche. If you love the idea of travelling vast distances between star systems with your cargo, be it legal or illicit, withSadly, I am such an old git now that I was around as a kiddie for the original...which I played to death. I simply had to buy the new version. Am I disappointed? No. I love it. But do I recommend this game for everyone? Absolutely not. This game will fit a specific psyche. If you love the idea of travelling vast distances between star systems with your cargo, be it legal or illicit, with the low level but omnipresent threat of attack by pirates, of trading commodities for a profit after studying and comparing spreadsheets of prices, visiting distant space stations in a 1-1 recreation of our solar system, managing and upgrading your ship, and undertaking missions as a mercenary...this is for you. If that all sounds boring as hell...give it a miss. Now, I also love Call of Duty and Battlefield 1 and War Thunder, so I love action games also. But don't expect this game to hold your hand nor guide you through a linear story. This is an open world game in the purest sense. Elite Dangerous offers you a blank canvas on which to paint your imagination. Frankly, if I were a pompous, arrogant narcissist b*****d, I would say that I feel this is an experience for the intellectual. Therefore, I feel this is an experience for the intellectual. Although one with a desolate place in his (or her) heart. The experience I associate most with ED from my video gaming past, apart obviously, from the original Elite, is from playing Silent Hunter 2 many years ago on my PC. Travelling vast distances under the Atlantic, managing my boat and my crew, checking systems, waiting hours for the ping of the sonar in my U-boat, tracking the target, identifying friend or foe, and spending yet more hours getting my sub in to a perfect firing position. If you played Silent Hunter 2, and you enjoyed it...my guess is that Elite Dangerous will be right up your street. Expand
  2. Dec 12, 2018
    'Caveat emptor'

Look. I've played a fair bit of this. In fact, for the better part of the year, I played a *lot* of this. I enjoyed what I'd played (I've even done the Hutton Orbital run), I have a pile of damn fine ships, plenty of missions, safe, dangerous, easy, hard, everything in between, I made it to Sol, yadda yadda and I left it for a while. Couldn't remember why. I
    'Caveat emptor'

Couldn't remember why.

I come back to play it this evening, take a quick hop from a base near Mercury to Gorbachev near Earth, land the thing; game drops out.

"Can't connect to matchmaking server".

In a solo game.

Therein lies the problem.

This reminded me why I put it down in the first place. For a while, I thought it was because of the grind - it wasn't that. I like simulations, in fact I spend a great deal of time with Orbiter 2016 as I did with Orbiter 2010, as well as many flightsims.

It was the fact it's always online.

Want to play solo? Sure. But your internet must be connected at all times. Boy, oh boy it had better be one fine internet connection, too.

So...if you like steep learning curves, fine. If you like space, fine. If you like a grind, fine. These aren't all dealbreakers, if the game is solid.

However do bear in mind that *this game requires constant online connection to play*.

It might have gained a higher score from me if it worked. Currently, it's a rather pricey bit of plastic.

Buyer beware.
  3. Nov 5, 2017
    One of the major problems with Elite Dangerous, in 2017, is that we have now seen far more realistic depictions of space in the media and popular entertainment... such that the graphics (and physics) of Elite Dangerous look horribly dated.

You won't see a black hole like the one in Interstellar, complete with acretion disc. You will see stars and planets unfeasibly close together, with absolutely no matter transferring between them (as per the introduction to Star Trek Discovery). You won't even see a realistic depiction of Earth - it's not aligned properly on its axis, and hours of daylight seem to be opposite to the in-game UCT clock. And countries are a blurry and unrecognisable mess.

There's a lot of smoke & mirrors too... particularly loading screens trying desperately to pretend they're not loading screens. You've probably not realised most of them... but when you do, they become annoying and 4th-wall-breaking. At this point, I could really spoil elements of the game in a big way for you, but I'm going to hold back and let you discover them for yourself.

So, with scant visual rewards to speak of, you're left with the gameplay, which falls into two categories:

1. Dogfights
    2. Tedious Delivery Missions

If you don't have the appetite or skills for #1, I've got bad news for you: this is what the game tries to push on you at every opportunity. This is a combat-focussed game, make no mistake. All of the major story points and community missions require combat. 9 times out of 10, ranking missions also mandate combat. While attempting to play the game in a peacful fashion, you will be pulled out of SuperCruise ("interdicted") by an NPC who wants to fight you, you will be approached while mining by someone who wants to fight you.

So, to get the most out of Elite Dangerous, you have to be up for dogfighting... not in the fun sense of space battles, but tedious technical flight-sim dogfighting (turn, rotate, pull up to get enemy in sights, fire, repeat). Seriously... just go onto You Tube and look at some of the dogfighting tutorials people have put up. If that floats your boat... then go for it.

So, I don't hate the game, and I did get a good number of hours out of it... but it's not a sim, and it's not as immersive as I'd hoped.
  4. Sep 5, 2017
    I played previously on PC before all the expansions. While I had a great experience I ultimately shelved the game as it became a little tedious. Now that I picked up the Legendary version on PS4, I have to say this game has come a long way with several major updates fleshing things out. I noticed that lot of people say this game is a grind. It depends on how you approach it. If all youI played previously on PC before all the expansions. While I had a great experience I ultimately shelved the game as it became a little tedious. Now that I picked up the Legendary version on PS4, I have to say this game has come a long way with several major updates fleshing things out. I noticed that lot of people say this game is a grind. It depends on how you approach it. If all you want to do is make as many credits as possible, yes that it probably true. However, this is a sandbox simulation with no end game and no goals. You have to be prepared to make your own decisions on how to play. You have complete Freedom here and also have to deal with the consequences of that freedom.However those new to the game can be quickly turned off by constant failure from such things we take for granted in other games. Like actually manually having to land your ship and having to manage your power distribution on the fly. If Frontier can develop somekind of friendlier intro incorporated at the start, I would rate the game higher for sure.

The game in the beginning is unforgiving and there are major minus points for Elite in regards to showing newbs the ropes. On the other hand, the community surrounding this game is absolutely outstanding. The best I've seen and you can head to the forum to pretty much figure out anything or find like minded people to play with. I have to say this is one of the most unique games out there. An old school game updated for the modern platform. Thanks to Frontier for developing and supporting such a risky endeavor and if you have the time for it, the game ultimately rewards you for sticking with it. There are so many hidden wrinkles to discover and the universe is constantly expanding due to actual community driven goals, which to me is amazing to see in a game these days. For instance, there is a brand new Colony being built far away from the Earth Bubble near the center of the Galaxy, with many pit stops created as well to help get there. This did not exist 3 years ago and is due simply to actual players participating in the production of the colony. Awesome.

As stated previously, if you're just looking to pad your credit stack constantly in a bid to quickly buy all the best gear, this game will turn into a grind. As with any other game in this vein like Destiny or GTAO(or any MMO up to this point). Or just fly by the seat of your pants and have fun doing whatever takes your fancy. That will lead you down the path of enjoyment for a long time. You do not need much money to access all the game has to offer. Even better, do it with some friends and explore the galaxy together. Give it a shot Commander.

Edit: Bumping this up to a 9. After playing the PS4 version and experiencing all the new things added since Horizons, I'm fairly astounded by how much the game has improved since release. Update 2.4 set to drop soon will further add new features. This game is simply not for the casual gamer, but if one takes the time to learn it's many system, you can arguably play infinitely.
  5. Jul 21, 2017
    This game was groundbreaking back in 1984, but it wasn't for everyone. The same can be said of this latest version. If you want instant gratification, spoonfed storylines, and linear gameplay, you'll hate this.

But if you've ever wanted to be Han Solo or Malcolm Reynolds, not just for the exciting climaxes, but all the points in between... in short, if you want to live the Han Solo/Malcolm Reynolds lifestyle, then this game is for you.

It's an open world where everyone's actions has a small but collective impact on the galactic market and governments, where you can do your own thing, whether you want to be a do-gooder, pirate, or something in between. A realistically rendered galaxy where the distances between planets can be covered in seconds or minutes and yet feel like you're covering the actual distances (one light second to the Moon, 8 light minutes to the sun...). A game that knows the line to walk between simulator and game, complex in some ways, but not overwhelmingly so. Simple in other ways, but not insultingly so.

This is the game I grew up wanting, and I finally got it.
  6. Sep 7, 2017
    A great Space Sim that has moments that just can't find anywhere on console. It looks great and is totally immersive. Steep learning curve but that's part of its appeal it doesn't hold your hand.
  7. Oct 23, 2017
    Elite is a good game if you ever liked the Mech Warrior series back in the day. Ship customization is one of the most rewarding creative experiences you can have. The game is very nice to look at, and relaxing to play. If you enjoy a slower pace and a lot of depth this is the game for you. It's still getting updates and the core gameplay is undergoing a revision so it may become moreElite is a good game if you ever liked the Mech Warrior series back in the day. Ship customization is one of the most rewarding creative experiences you can have. The game is very nice to look at, and relaxing to play. If you enjoy a slower pace and a lot of depth this is the game for you. It's still getting updates and the core gameplay is undergoing a revision so it may become more exciting as time goes on.

The developer has been great and they deserve your business.
  8. Jan 5, 2018
    I wanted a space trucker where I just could hang out in space in a ship, listen to some groovy music and grind to my heart's content. Elite should have been a perfect fit but it didn't click. I didn't like the music or ambience. I didn't feel I got any reward for my grinding, there wasn't really anything I could buy that caught my eye. Docking is a nightmare and you have to go out of yourI wanted a space trucker where I just could hang out in space in a ship, listen to some groovy music and grind to my heart's content. Elite should have been a perfect fit but it didn't click. I didn't like the music or ambience. I didn't feel I got any reward for my grinding, there wasn't really anything I could buy that caught my eye. Docking is a nightmare and you have to go out of your way to BUY an auto docking feature for in game credits. Exploring was boring, there wasn't really anything to find. Nothing was beautiful anywhere. I don't do space battles unless they're really cool, which these weren't. Getting started with the game was a horror: I consider myself game savvy and I still got stuck in the tutorial twice and had to go on YouTube to find videos explaining the tutorial. The video explaining how to get past basic flight tutorial has almost 600 000 views. It took me 1,5 hours to learn enough of basic movement and combat just to get out of the tutorial. I gave Elite some fifteen hours in total before I gave up and uninstalled, it just wasn't for me. Expand
  9. Jul 18, 2017
    Ok, as some have rightfully critizised the game can be very unforgiven at the beginning and has a steep learning curve. Back in the days (in the original) all you had to do to land was hit the spinning mailbox slot in the station and now you have to do this and then land inside on a platform that you have to locate. I kind of rage quit after the first few unsuccessful tries but once youOk, as some have rightfully critizised the game can be very unforgiven at the beginning and has a steep learning curve. Back in the days (in the original) all you had to do to land was hit the spinning mailbox slot in the station and now you have to do this and then land inside on a platform that you have to locate. I kind of rage quit after the first few unsuccessful tries but once you get a hold to it it can be done with relative ease and a docking computer can be bought for cheap. Took me a week or two to comfortably land on planets and so its kind of baby steps forward. The game still has everything the original game was great in and much much more all the while staying true to its form. Expand
  10. Jun 29, 2017
    The best, most realistic space simulation i have ever played. Absolute freedom, huge galaxy, big variety of missions, realistic challenge and not just a pewpew space shooter, pvp and pve multiplayer. This game has it all. So far i haven't encounter any bugs (the game is already out on pc and xbox a long time now so it would be weird if it had bugs) and it runs smoothly on ps4 and ps4 proThe best, most realistic space simulation i have ever played. Absolute freedom, huge galaxy, big variety of missions, realistic challenge and not just a pewpew space shooter, pvp and pve multiplayer. This game has it all. So far i haven't encounter any bugs (the game is already out on pc and xbox a long time now so it would be weird if it had bugs) and it runs smoothly on ps4 and ps4 pro alike. Only negative thing is the online only solo game cause i would like to be able to play solo at least offline. This is the space game I've been waiting for all my life. No Man's Sky was great but it was a survival game is space not a simulation. I'll be playing this for years to come. Hopefully they won't ever put down the servers or at least make the solo offline sometime in the future. Space sim lovers have to play this and everybody else who don't afraid of a challenge you should try it. Top notch! Expand
  11. Jun 30, 2017
    A space sim, pure and simple. It doesn't give you much - you have to learn it yourself and make the effort. You'll get out whatever you put in and there is no hand holding. Great to see Elite back. It might not be the right flavour for a modern gaming audience but persevere and see what you think. It's what No Man's Sky could have been.
  12. Jul 3, 2017
    An awesome space sim with an unbelievable amount of player freedom. Keep in mind however to spend numerous hours to master the steep learning curve - even with a big number of tutorials included.
    There really are many aspects of the game without any explanation given that simply have to be tackled. But after that you can experience such a huge and wonderful game without any borders players get put in, without any story borders or restriction on how and where to be played. You simply start on place X with your little Sidewinder and get to experience the universe, as bounty hunter, miner, trader, pirate...... it's simply up to you.
  13. Jul 6, 2017
    This is the most immersive space sim I can imagine. With Star Citizen getting delayed untill when they invent real space ships for everyone to buy I can play this game with a lot of fun!

Pros +A big universe to discover! +Nice ships to fly with great sound effects and controls. +Very nice graphics. +One of the best communities. Cons -Engereering of ships can be time consuming.

Pros
    +A big universe to discover!
    +Nice ships to fly with great sound effects and controls.
    +Very nice graphics.
    +One of the best communities.

Cons
    -Engereering of ships can be time consuming.
    -Community participation is a must if you want to get to know all aspects of this game.

Have fun with this game!
  14. Nov 14, 2017
    Not for everyone...But it is for me.

Pros: - Awesome graphics and physics - Freedom of choices with consequences and benefits - 400 Billion stars?! - Upgrading ships and exploring becomes super addictive - Awesome expansion, driving with less than 1g is awesome! Cons: - Controls are a bit touchy and take a while to learn - Takes a lot of time to learn through tutorials and
    Not for everyone...But it is for me.

Pros:
    - Awesome graphics and physics
    - Freedom of choices with consequences and benefits
    - 400 Billion stars?!
    - Upgrading ships and exploring becomes super addictive
    - Awesome expansion, driving with less than 1g is awesome!

Cons:
    - Controls are a bit touchy and take a while to learn
    - Takes a lot of time to learn through tutorials and practice
    - No VR for Playstation yet

Overall I am very impressed with this game and can spend hours just visiting star systems and looking at the planets and stars. I like being able to choose between various career choices and switching as I please. Definitely a 9/10 for me.
  15. Jul 10, 2017
    If you enjoy watching paint dry or grass grow, then Elite Dangerous is for you, this is the kind of game that you could put 500 hours into and still feel like your in training mode, graphics and sound are average, the music is 10/10. If you like grinding for credits and flying around deep space, doing deliveries, trading and a host of other stuff then this is for you.
  16. Sep 22, 2017
    something like 50 hours of gameplay culminated in this one moment for me: I was flying my anaconda - one of the most expensive ships in the game - and I was leaving a hostile space station. As I was leaving, I flew too close to another ship and got a ticket that I wouldn't even have to pay it mattered so little. On receiving the ticket, the space station and about a half dozen systemsomething like 50 hours of gameplay culminated in this one moment for me: I was flying my anaconda - one of the most expensive ships in the game - and I was leaving a hostile space station. As I was leaving, I flew too close to another ship and got a ticket that I wouldn't even have to pay it mattered so little. On receiving the ticket, the space station and about a half dozen system security ships all converged on me and destroyed in an instant. The ship cost millions of credits to rebuy, and I feel I lost it unfairly; but that's not all! At the rebuy screen, the game crashed. I lost my ship for good, and hundreds of millions of credits with it. I've since deleted this game, and I would only recommend it to the most deeply masochistic people. Expand
  17. Jul 19, 2017
    So much potential but so outdated game play mechanics. Specially for consoles they should´ve changed the concept of endless grinding. Everything takes ages and the way to finally do something is always really boring. It´s like the mechanics are stuck in the 80s. And also the balance between what you get out of a mission and what you could lose is really frustrating. It has everything youSo much potential but so outdated game play mechanics. Specially for consoles they should´ve changed the concept of endless grinding. Everything takes ages and the way to finally do something is always really boring. It´s like the mechanics are stuck in the 80s. And also the balance between what you get out of a mission and what you could lose is really frustrating. It has everything you wish for in a space game but it fails dramatically to entertain me as a video game because only a few boring things pay off in the end. For me it feels it is a game for the unemployed or people with plenty of time don´t know what to do with it. It is not an excuse to hide behind the 'SIMULATION' curtain. It is just time consuming and really repetitive in some key areas of the game. Expand
  18. Jul 15, 2017
    Constantly crashes on the PS4 and loses Internet connection. Read the forums to see a lot of unhappy PS4 players. Potential to be a great game, but for a lot of players, completely unplayable. Total waste of money as it stands. Hope a patch will fix it some day.
  19. Aug 18, 2017
    I wish I could give it an even lower score. Broken, glitchy, extremely technical and completely impossible to play. Played for hours and never did anything but float around aimlessly in silence. It felt like punishment

I literally created an account here just to leave this review because unless you're obsessed with flight simulators and want to spend months honing a new skill just to play a boring video game, you will hate this

Worst game I've ever played I rented it on gamefly and still feel ripped off for the time I wasted
  20. Sep 7, 2017
    If you like constant action this is not your game. You spend a LOT of time doing all the small things and not a lot of time doing the fun stuff. I am biased towards more action games so this one wasn't for me.
  21. Jun 29, 2017
    Thirty three years ago I first played Elite on the BBC Micro. After a fruitless few hours or so being unable to dock, let alone do anything else, I gave up and wrote my first ever (damming) gaming review and sent it off.

Now, today, I actually managed to launch from a space station. I did it at a very strange angle and probably removed most of the paintwork from the port side of my ship. Echoes of the film Galaxy Quest came strongly to mind! I then engaged my whatchamacallit drive and spent a good ten minutes stuck in a side view being unable to look effing straight forward. I did eventually find the right button.

I approached the space station which, as usual, was revolving alarmingly. I did manage to get my landing gear down but of course I was facing the wrong facet on the station, you know the one with the stupid narrow letterbox opening. After a few bumps and crashes and overshoots I did get inside the dam thing. I actually lined myself up nicely for docking bay 43. Everything went **** up in the closing seconds when I hit the forward button too much. I lurched forward and bounced off numerous surfaces eventually ramming myself into what looked like some kind of virtual park. It was then I turned the whole thing off in disgust. This, dear reader, was THE TRAINING MISSION!

Admittedly I got a tad further than did some decades ago and I put this down to using a controller rather than a keyboard. So, I will never become even become 'Vaguely Competent' let alone 'Elite' more like 'Totally Useless'. I wonder if I can get it made into a badge? One I shall wear with pride. On a positive note it will free up a load of space on my hard drive when I delete it.

Nothing whatsoever has changed in 33 years its still as awful a game as it ever was. So there.
  22. Dec 7, 2018
    The game is anti-semitic trash developed to train the Hitler Youth of Great Britain. Get 4X instead you'll be much happier.

Rule 3 of the game is apparently that Jews are not allowed. Myself and others requested a Community Goal to celebrate Passover and were banned for violation of Rule 3. When Christmas came around we requested to have that Community Goal pulled under Rule 3 and were banned again.
  23. Dec 19, 2017
    Elite for PS4 is a very difficult game. On PC you can have very complex joysticks, a keyboard, a mouse etc. Here everything has to be done with combinations of buttons or going through menus.
    Naturally one would expect such a complicated game would require a tutorial worthy of its complexity.

Alas the tutorial is really bad. It gives you partial information of what to do, sometimes in a hurry and you are left at it. Sometimes it stops working. If you don't do exactly what it wants in the order it wants, you most likely will have to retry as it also blocks commands that it did not suggest yet for the current sequence of operations (or the game is as horribly bugged as I've seen in other reviews. I'll never know.)

On the first mission, everything was more or less fine.

On the system jump mission, that I had to retry multiple times, would have it be so difficult to tell WHERE the hell was the entrance of the station (shaped like a isocahedron and spinning)?
    Why, on each retry, was the tutorial complaining when I selected the station like it just told me to ? Why do I have to ask permission for landing several times ?
    Could it explain to me why I was unable to deploy the landing gear using the commands I learned and had to go to the right panel menu to do so ?
    Why after finally landing I was left to myself, not knowing the next step, and had to restart the mission all over again? (To see I actually did finish the mission, it just did not tell me nor proposed me to finish that training. The tutorial broke (again) from the point I found the entrance of the station)
    Why, at some point when I was still trying to understand how to approach, a base was I getting contradictory messages between the voice telling me to wait (so I missed the target) then complaining, and the system telling me I was going too fast (and the voice telling me I still stopped too fast)
    Would have it be difficult for the tutorial helping me when I was unable to super-speed with a cryptic message and had to self-destruct and retry (with the next mission I finally got it was because I pressed square alone which put weapons out, which is what is meant by "hard-point", gee thanks for nothing)
    On the fight mission, could it explain BEFOREHAND how to have good maneuverability to follow a target or escape being one instead of expecting me to shoot ?
    Would have it be difficult to pause and tell me that I would have to switch weapon systems BEFORE I was almost destroyed by the second ship ? (My ship was destroyed by the time I entered the command)
    On the advanced fight mission, the same comments as before are applying with the added twist that I would have liked to know what to do before being swarmed by these two or three ships (that stupid voice did not finish its next tutorial part sentence : I was already dead).

I bought that game for about $30 on the PlayStation Store, and it seems cannot get a refund. No matter : I still feel I've been cheated of $230. The price of that junk plus the minimum rate I take for the time I lost on it.
  24. May 6, 2019
    unplayable. the controls are god awful. even if you get used to this horrible mess and customized it it´s still sooo painfully slow. i was expecting something like the x series or freelancer but this is quite the opposite. boring and tedious
  25. Sep 8, 2019
    So, I was really looking forward to this game. I love astronomy, so I figured it would be right up my alley. When I put the game in, the patch required was 21GB. Even though it took me about a month to download (I live in the boonies where the fastest internet is not much better than dialup) I was willing to wait, because after all, it's a game about space stuff, which I love.

The patch

The patch finally finished downloading, I fired the game up, and went into the tutorial missions, which seemed like a good idea since I was a new player, and this might be a somewhat complex game if it's really a space sim. The first tutorial was about basic flight stuff, very easy. Then I went into the second tutorial (landing inside a space station) and...that's it. I was never able to land. As instructed, I put down my landing gear, I aligned my ship so that it was facing away from the entrance, I took the ship down onto the center of the landing pad and BOING! I bounced right off. That's weird. Maybe I missed doing something in the left console? No, there's nothing else in there. Is my landing gear down? Yes. Am I aligned the right way? Yes. Am I at the right landing pad? Yeah, it's pretty hard to miss with the big orange box around it. For another 20 minutes, I tried to land. Bounce, bounce, bounce. Then, I shut the game off. I value my time.

Here's a free tip for any of you present or future game developers: If players are getting stuck in your tutorial, you're absolutely terrible at your job. I am not someone who needs much hand-holding in video games. I generally figure things out very quickly. If *I* can't get past the tutorial, then there are tons of other people who can't either. Either I was missing a crucial piece of information (bad design) or the tutorial was bugged (which would be even worse...incompetence.)

I gave the game a 1 because it did boot up properly, and the flight tutorial worked fine. Otherwise, epic fail, guys.
  26. Jun 19, 2019
    Elite: Dangerous is a hardcore nonlinear space sim that constantly reminds you exactly how much of an insignificant speck of stardust that you truly are within the vast expanse of the Milky Way. This is not a game that one can "win," because the only real goals are those that you set for yourself. You can mine asteroid belts and planetary rings while avoiding greedy pirates, be a spaceElite: Dangerous is a hardcore nonlinear space sim that constantly reminds you exactly how much of an insignificant speck of stardust that you truly are within the vast expanse of the Milky Way. This is not a game that one can "win," because the only real goals are those that you set for yourself. You can mine asteroid belts and planetary rings while avoiding greedy pirates, be a space trucker/bus driver/smuggler, explore uncharted regions of the galaxy by scanning systems and mapping planets, drive your SRV across the unwelcoming surfaces of lonely moons, or align yourself with galactic superpowers and fight alongside their military forces. All of the above and more are possible. Play in solo/private sessions or take your chances on the open server. It's all up to you.

Personally, I tend to sample a bit of everything, but I spend most of my time exploring and mining. Combat can be fun, but the mechanics seem at odds with the rest of the game. "Deep, but narrow." While I respect anyone with the time and patience to shoehorn themselves into that niche, it never feels quite "right" to me, so I avoid it--outside of the occasional NPC bounty as I scavenge for materials. The flight model in ED is a little weird--with or without Flight Assist. All ships feel as though you are flying through a rather fluid bowl of gelatin--regardless of specs, upgrades, or engineering. They even have "top speeds" and weapons have a very limited range. Yes, even lasers. I understand these design choices, but I get enough of short-range brawling in other games. It's like a more realistic and infinitely more complex version of Ace Combat in space.* (*For console veterans...PC flight/space sim players know what I'm talking about.)

So, I head to the black...or the rings...or even a bit of station-hopping and sightseeing when the isolation becomes too unbearable. I sing to rocks and howl at moons. (Seriously--if you can convince any of your friends to play with you, that goes a long way toward alleviating the madness.) Fly however you see fit, Commander. ;)
  27. May 13, 2019
    I have this on PC and PS4. I personal;ly prefer the PS4 version, as the PS4 controller is very good and has been configured very well for this game.
    Graphically, the PC version looks nicer, but not by much.
    This will be a love it or hate it type game. There's no real solid story to follow. So if that's important to you, then this game is probably not for you. If you like exploration,
    Graphically, the PC version looks nicer, but not by much.

If you like exploration, buying loads of different types of ships, upgrading ships, trading and various other things you can just "Get on with" without being tied to a story, then you'll probably like this.

It IS obviously multiplayer, but it's not an aspect of the game I've explored that much. I quite like just doing my own thing and it's cool to see other players getting on with what they're doing.

Overall, I think 8 out of 10 is a fair score, as even with the latest update (April 2019), it;s still not that noob friendly and the tutorials barely suffice.
    However there's LOADS of tutorials on Youtube made by players that are very good.

Also, you really need to do research online about where to go to pursue your goals and interests in game. Again, if you're into that sort of thing, then fine. But if you just want to get into the game and play and feel like it's a rewarding experience, you will initially be disappointed.

So yeah, I'd say 8/10 for the first 20 or so hours, then 9/10 once you get past the REALLY steep learning curve.
  28. Oct 24, 2020
    A painfully mediocre space "simulator" created by developers who obviously didn't even get as far as the 6th grade.

The second that I saw that kinetic weapons had damage fall-off I literally laughed out loud. Newton's 1st law anyone? There is nothing acting against the projectiles in the vacuum of space, therefore there is no slowdown/fall-off. Maybe if these developers would stop

Maybe if these developers would stop smelling their own farts long enough to actually make it to junior high they could come up with a game that doesn't constantly jerk the player around with:

Enemy ships who constantly can out turn the player despite being in bigger and less maneuverable craft
    Enemy ships who can instantly FSD away when at low health, only to miraculously re-appear with full health/shields
    An economy that is so horribly skewed towards mining even after the developers said time and again that they didn't want the best source of income to be a single aspect of the game.
    A game that STILL doesn't let you do something as simple as changing the HUD colors away from that urine colored yellow/orange.

These are just a few of the problems with this game that should've been dealt with on day 1. The fact that it's 3+ years into this game's life and this crap is still going just goes to show that Frontier Developments are too stupid and/or lazy to actually make a coherent game.

And with the arrival of the latest DLC in 2021 stating that players still will not be able to walk around in their ships, as well as removing the ability to move the camera through your ship through VR it's pretty apparent that this company couldn't care one bit for the problems/wants of its playerbase.

Do not support Frontier Developments.
  29. Feb 16, 2020
    Una obra maestra dónde Frontier sabe escuchar al cliente .
    Una obra maestra dónde Frontier sabe escuchar al cliente .
    No puedo estar más conforme con este juego por incontables razones , desde cambios en su mecánica al incorporar ayudas a novatos hasta lo arches que solucionan Bugs , una de las mejores comunidades de personas dentro de un juego no apto para cualquiera , exploración de la más profunda en un universo de 400 billones de sistemas y con la incorporación de horizons hacen que este juego una vez comprado puedas jugarlo hasta el fin de tus
  30. Dec 3, 2018
    I like this game. There is something in this game what keeps you for the next hours, and hours of playing. Game from patch to patch is much better - screenshot generator.
  31. Feb 14, 2020
    Love the exploring and the trading makes pretty good $$ but it feels like it's missing something.
    Wildlife on some of these planets.. **** something, alive, anything. Water worlds to explore and give me legs bruh wtf. Forget what I said just give me space legs and it'll be a 10
  32. Apr 19, 2018
    Maybe I'm nostalgic, since I played this during my early teens in the mid Eighties, or maybe its the amount of content the current game has to offer. Elite Dangerous is still my primary game almost a year after launch. I play the game how want to, without the constraints of being forced down tunnels. Exploring is relaxing, mining is risky and Bounty Hunting full of action... and still lotsMaybe I'm nostalgic, since I played this during my early teens in the mid Eighties, or maybe its the amount of content the current game has to offer. Elite Dangerous is still my primary game almost a year after launch. I play the game how want to, without the constraints of being forced down tunnels. Exploring is relaxing, mining is risky and Bounty Hunting full of action... and still lots more to do! A++ in my books. Expand
  33. Nov 24, 2017
    Thumbs up. grEat game.Thumbs up. grEat game. 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 Expand
  34. May 23, 2020
    The graphics and effects didn't impress. Yes I get why MMO games do have this visual downgrade due to online player base numbers. However Indie No Man's Sky just looks better with it's distinctive style. While old PC games like XR3 2005 and X3TC 2008 models and effects look better than this 2014 ED release.

I just find it hard to be impressed by space trader/dogfighting games anymore

I just find it hard to be impressed by space trader/dogfighting games anymore after playing so many. You can only do so much with this format for sure. The UI and controls no complaints. The overall presentation is very sleek and polished. The in game encyclopedia explains the mechanics, systems and game universe in digestible bites.

Looking for a slow paced long form game and never played a game of this format? I would say go for it for sure. This is as accessible as they come in this genre.
  35. Dec 6, 2017
    There is a lot to be said about this game. In fact I am not sure it can be said in the confines of the character limit of this review. Most people seem to have a love hate relationship with this game. At its core it is a space simulation game consisting of an entire galaxy to explore. That galaxy also does not care about you. You aren't a hero or some chosen one. You start with a smallThere is a lot to be said about this game. In fact I am not sure it can be said in the confines of the character limit of this review. Most people seem to have a love hate relationship with this game. At its core it is a space simulation game consisting of an entire galaxy to explore. That galaxy also does not care about you. You aren't a hero or some chosen one. You start with a small ship and a short mission then are sent off to so as you will. Want to go mine an asteroid? Go for it. Shoot some criminals? Be a criminal? Also both options. For some people however, these will all be negatives. Making money and gaining ranks is also very time consuming and will turn many people away. The game isn't for everyone, but for those into time consuming simulation style games the game is amazing. Expand
  36. Nov 6, 2017
    Very nice game, it requires a lot of time and reading before playing (instructions, guides and watching movies in the game or completing the trainings) but it will pay off. Everyone who likes MMO, space movies and games, has a lot of free time on his hand should try it. The graphic is sometimes a bit outdated and many space stations and planets looks similiar so -2 points for that. ThereVery nice game, it requires a lot of time and reading before playing (instructions, guides and watching movies in the game or completing the trainings) but it will pay off. Everyone who likes MMO, space movies and games, has a lot of free time on his hand should try it. The graphic is sometimes a bit outdated and many space stations and planets looks similiar so -2 points for that. There are plenty interesting missions and ways to upgrade your ship allowing further and faster travelling with bigger potential for weapons, shields, hulls and cargo space. it is very easy to drown in the Milky Way (yes it is real galaxy - our galaxy with all the stars) world. I recommend to anyone who is interested in outer space games. Expand
  37. Feb 12, 2019
    This game is an absolute must for players who love exploring the universe. Game looks verry realistic, with loads of stuff to do. Combat, mining, trading, exploring etc.
  38. Mar 23, 2018
    Probably one of the best sci-fi flight games currently available with an excellent balance between simulation aspects and more simplified mechanics for game-play reasons in my opinion. The developers actively listen to their community and make adjustments based on what the reception is, (heat meta for one) and are very much open to suggestions. While the CQC mode is basically dead outsideProbably one of the best sci-fi flight games currently available with an excellent balance between simulation aspects and more simplified mechanics for game-play reasons in my opinion. The developers actively listen to their community and make adjustments based on what the reception is, (heat meta for one) and are very much open to suggestions. While the CQC mode is basically dead outside of the developer held tournaments, that was never the primary focus of the games development. Speaking of development, while it is a little slow, Frontier are not a AAA studio and when they do put out updates, they are usually full on expansion level updates with significant amounts of content added. Incidentally the game has a star system with multiple earth-like planets modelled in the game called Trappist-1 in real life (Core Sys Sector XU-P A5-0 in Elite Dangerous) that was surprisingly close to where the star system is in reality... Just 39 Light Years off the mark. (For reference, our galaxy, is about 100,000 Light Years across, all of which can be visited in the game if you have the fuel and the jump range.) If this seems like a game for you, give it a go. The base game is $20 on Steam and the Horizons DLC is an extra $20. The only micro-transactions are completely cosmetic but usually are a disadvantage to running them. Expand
  39. Sep 4, 2018
    This is the best game I have ever played.
    This is the best game I have ever played.
    After 2000 hours, I still have a hard time turning it off. That said, you may not like it! It is a space sim with a 1/1 milky way galaxy. you can travel for days without seeing anything interesting. to travel across the entire map takes weeks. This game is about the journey, not the goal, because there is no defined goal. you make up your own goal.
    Even after all these years, the devs update regularly, adding great in depth mechanics.
  40. Feb 25, 2019
    Endless space.. You can go wherever you want to go. After 3.3 patch game became more beautiful.
  41. Nov 20, 2020
    Este juego debe ser el simulador de naves espaciales más completo que he visto, sin embargo la curva de dificultad es tan grande, los tutoriales tan malos y la configuración de controles personalizados tan compleja que simplemente no vale la pena perder el tiempo para aprendiendo a jugar esto a menos que seas un fan muy hardcore del sci-fi.

Ni siquiera tengo misiones, el juego no me da

Ni siquiera tengo misiones, el juego no me da NADA en las estaciones y acabo de perder una hora buscando una estación con misiones que hacer.

en un punto libere por accidente la cámara de cabina (fantástico ahora no puedo pilotar) y tarde 15 min en regresar a la normalidad y ni siquiera se como lo hice.

por si fuera poco ni siquiera pude escanear un pedazo de metal en medio del espacio (que me encontré buscando estaciones) por que para eso estaba en el modo de cabina incorrecto ¿y cuando me dijeron que había más modos de cabina? y para cambiarlo hay me asignarle una tecla, lo cual no sería nada del otro mundo si la asignación de controles personalizados no fuera tan complicada.

en resumen este juego es solo frustrante y una pérdida de tiempo.
  42. Jul 25, 2020
    Elite: Dangerous is a space sim that allows you to trade, explore, or engage in combat as you see fit and make progress (I won't exactly say "meaningful" progress) in any or all of the three. There are about 38 ships to choose from that vary by cost, and in some cases, other unlock requirements and allow a lot of customizability. Some ships are more suited to exploration, some to trading,Elite: Dangerous is a space sim that allows you to trade, explore, or engage in combat as you see fit and make progress (I won't exactly say "meaningful" progress) in any or all of the three. There are about 38 ships to choose from that vary by cost, and in some cases, other unlock requirements and allow a lot of customizability. Some ships are more suited to exploration, some to trading, and others to combat, while still others are great (but not the best) at all three. Due to the variety of tasks that you can perform, the game can get quite addictive as you spend "just one more hour" to try something else.

While the game has a lot of breadth, it doesn't have a whole lot of depth. There isn't much of a story to speak of (you'll have to dig for the lore in the form of text or audio logs) and definitely no campaign mode. The game is a sandbox where the galaxy is your playground and you make of it what you will. This in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, the learning curve is steep. Very little is explained in-game and you'll find yourself heading to Google or YouTube quite often in an attempt to figure things out.

You can either play in Open with other players or Solo, and herein lies the biggest drawback. Once you leave the starter areas, you'll have players in fully decked out ships that are bent on your destruction just for the fun of it. There is no Open PVE server. If you wanna play with others, be prepared to get ganked by experienced players. If you play Solo, you won't have to deal with that annoyance, but you'll be alone. The alternative is to join a Private Group where only you and other like-minded players can have fun, but then the game doesn't feel like a true MMO. If you like the idea of open PVP with ganking, the game may work for you, but these days, you'll still need a fully "engineered" ship. To put it simply, Engineering is the process of upgrading various aspects of your ship to make it a lot more powerful than it is by default. This process is a tremendous grind and not fun at all. It is tedious and will take you a long time. Die-hard fans will attempt to shoot me down for this, but that's no concern of mine. It is what it is, and as a potential new player considering purchasing this game, you deserve to know the facts.

In my opinion, an Open PVE server will solve this problem and make the game a lot more playable, perhaps even increasing the game's fanbase as more people get to cooperate and socialize with others. Until then, the game is going to remain very restricted. A lot of players did return to try out Fleet Carriers, which are the newest addition. But there's no guarantee that most of them will actually stay once the novelty wears off. So in the end, is the game worth it? It definitely has potential. But Engineering is mind-numbing and Open PVP is a substantial deterrent for many. Those are good reasons not to waste your money.
  43. Apr 27, 2020
    Abbastanza complesso data la presenza della sola lingua inglese e l'assenza di tutorial. Sicuramente un ottimo titolo sbattendoci la testa ma la sua struttura troppo libera e senza una storia potrebbe renderlo ripetitivo e non dare un chiaro scopo al giocatore. Personalmente ho preferito No Man's Sky ma rigorosamente da giocare se amanti dello spazio e dell'esplorazione spaziale
  44. Jul 20, 2020
    One of if not THE best space sims out there! it takes some used to but if you have always wanted to be a traveler in out milky way! This is a MUST HAVE! You are not the hero that saves the galaxy.. You are just you.. living in the galaxy! if you are ok with that you will love this game. If you wish to be a Luke Skywalker there are other games for that!
  45. Sep 25, 2020
    This games is awful. The controls are poor, the graphics are crappy.

You can spend 10minutes flying through blank space to get to a planet (so boring) the closer you get, the slower you can fly. Then get wiped out by a ship that you cannot compete with. Start again. The good reviews i have read all mention 'doesnt hold your hand' which i suspect are put there by the developer. This
    This games is awful. The controls are poor, the graphics are crappy.

Then get wiped out by a ship that you cannot compete with. Start again.

The good reviews i have read all mention 'doesnt hold your hand' which i suspect are put there by the developer. This actually means that the game is so horrible, you wont want to play it. How did they manage to butcher the great game that used to be Elite? Frontier should be embarrassed , i will never buy another piece of software from them. AVOID! Get No Mans Sky instead. It is superiour in every way.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 17 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Feb 8, 2018
    For every moment awed in the presence of a monumental celestial body, there are ten in which you’re lonely, humbled, and really quite bored. [October 2017, p79]
  2. Dec 12, 2017
    Elite: Dangerous feels a bit like a lifestyle choice, honestly. Getting good at piloting and traversing this universe takes almost as long as a full length game in and of itself. For those who endure, there's some exciting things happening in space, but for the rest, the price might be too high. This is clearly an example of a niche game, a remarkably thorough space sim that requires patience and tenacity to unearth its many secrets. It also requires caring about the universe you're in, and that can often be difficult to do after extended periods of time fighting with the game itself, whether it be through the controls or long stretches of nothing happening. As Carl Sagan once said, though: "The universe seems neither benign nor hostile; merely indifferent."
  3. CD-Action
    Sep 25, 2017
    If the PS4 edition is you first contact with Elite, you’re in for a treat, as you receive a game that has been evolving for almost 3 years (but hasn’t aged a bit!) along with Horizons expansion. [09/2017, p.30]