7.0

1. Dec 26, 2017
    Sadly, I am such an old git now that I was around as a kiddie for the original...which I played to death. I simply had to buy the new version. Am I disappointed? No. I love it. But do I recommend this game for everyone? Absolutely not. This game will fit a specific psyche. If you love the idea of travelling vast distances between star systems with your cargo, be it legal or illicit, withSadly, I am such an old git now that I was around as a kiddie for the original...which I played to death. I simply had to buy the new version. Am I disappointed? No. I love it. But do I recommend this game for everyone? Absolutely not. This game will fit a specific psyche. If you love the idea of travelling vast distances between star systems with your cargo, be it legal or illicit, with the low level but omnipresent threat of attack by pirates, of trading commodities for a profit after studying and comparing spreadsheets of prices, visiting distant space stations in a 1-1 recreation of our solar system, managing and upgrading your ship, and undertaking missions as a mercenary...this is for you. If that all sounds boring as hell...give it a miss. Now, I also love Call of Duty and Battlefield 1 and War Thunder, so I love action games also. But don't expect this game to hold your hand nor guide you through a linear story. This is an open world game in the purest sense. Elite Dangerous offers you a blank canvas on which to paint your imagination. Frankly, if I were a pompous, arrogant narcissist b*****d, I would say that I feel this is an experience for the intellectual. Therefore, I feel this is an experience for the intellectual. Although one with a desolate place in his (or her) heart. The experience I associate most with ED from my video gaming past, apart obviously, from the original Elite, is from playing Silent Hunter 2 many years ago on my PC. Travelling vast distances under the Atlantic, managing my boat and my crew, checking systems, waiting hours for the ping of the sonar in my U-boat, tracking the target, identifying friend or foe, and spending yet more hours getting my sub in to a perfect firing position. If you played Silent Hunter 2, and you enjoyed it...my guess is that Elite Dangerous will be right up your street. Expand
  2. Sep 5, 2017
    I played previously on PC before all the expansions. While I had a great experience I ultimately shelved the game as it became a little tedious. Now that I picked up the Legendary version on PS4, I have to say this game has come a long way with several major updates fleshing things out. I noticed that lot of people say this game is a grind. It depends on how you approach it. If all youI played previously on PC before all the expansions. While I had a great experience I ultimately shelved the game as it became a little tedious. Now that I picked up the Legendary version on PS4, I have to say this game has come a long way with several major updates fleshing things out. I noticed that lot of people say this game is a grind. It depends on how you approach it. If all you want to do is make as many credits as possible, yes that it probably true. However, this is a sandbox simulation with no end game and no goals. You have to be prepared to make your own decisions on how to play. You have complete Freedom here and also have to deal with the consequences of that freedom.However those new to the game can be quickly turned off by constant failure from such things we take for granted in other games. Like actually manually having to land your ship and having to manage your power distribution on the fly. If Frontier can develop somekind of friendlier intro incorporated at the start, I would rate the game higher for sure.

The game in the beginning is unforgiving and there are major minus points for Elite in regards to showing newbs the ropes. On the other hand, the community surrounding this game is absolutely outstanding. The best I've seen and you can head to the forum to pretty much figure out anything or find like minded people to play with. I have to say this is one of the most unique games out there. An old school game updated for the modern platform. Thanks to Frontier for developing and supporting such a risky endeavor and if you have the time for it, the game ultimately rewards you for sticking with it. There are so many hidden wrinkles to discover and the universe is constantly expanding due to actual community driven goals, which to me is amazing to see in a game these days. For instance, there is a brand new Colony being built far away from the Earth Bubble near the center of the Galaxy, with many pit stops created as well to help get there. This did not exist 3 years ago and is due simply to actual players participating in the production of the colony. Awesome.

As stated previously, if you're just looking to pad your credit stack constantly in a bid to quickly buy all the best gear, this game will turn into a grind. As with any other game in this vein like Destiny or GTAO(or any MMO up to this point). Or just fly by the seat of your pants and have fun doing whatever takes your fancy. That will lead you down the path of enjoyment for a long time. You do not need much money to access all the game has to offer. Even better, do it with some friends and explore the galaxy together. Give it a shot Commander.

Edit: Bumping this up to a 9. After playing the PS4 version and experiencing all the new things added since Horizons, I'm fairly astounded by how much the game has improved since release. Update 2.4 set to drop soon will further add new features. This game is simply not for the casual gamer, but if one takes the time to learn it's many system, you can arguably play infinitely.
  3. Jul 21, 2017
    This game was groundbreaking back in 1984, but it wasn't for everyone. The same can be said of this latest version. If you want instant gratification, spoonfed storylines, and linear gameplay, you'll hate this.

But if you've ever wanted to be Han Solo or Malcolm Reynolds, not just for the exciting climaxes, but all the points in between... in short, if you want to live the Han Solo/Malcolm Reynolds lifestyle, then this game is for you.

It's an open world where everyone's actions has a small but collective impact on the galactic market and governments, where you can do your own thing, whether you want to be a do-gooder, pirate, or something in between. A realistically rendered galaxy where the distances between planets can be covered in seconds or minutes and yet feel like you're covering the actual distances (one light second to the Moon, 8 light minutes to the sun...). A game that knows the line to walk between simulator and game, complex in some ways, but not overwhelmingly so. Simple in other ways, but not insultingly so.

This is the game I grew up wanting, and I finally got it.
  4. Sep 7, 2017
    A great Space Sim that has moments that just can't find anywhere on console. It looks great and is totally immersive. Steep learning curve but that's part of its appeal it doesn't hold your hand.
  5. Oct 23, 2017
    Elite is a good game if you ever liked the Mech Warrior series back in the day. Ship customization is one of the most rewarding creative experiences you can have. The game is very nice to look at, and relaxing to play. If you enjoy a slower pace and a lot of depth this is the game for you. It's still getting updates and the core gameplay is undergoing a revision so it may become moreElite is a good game if you ever liked the Mech Warrior series back in the day. Ship customization is one of the most rewarding creative experiences you can have. The game is very nice to look at, and relaxing to play. If you enjoy a slower pace and a lot of depth this is the game for you. It's still getting updates and the core gameplay is undergoing a revision so it may become more exciting as time goes on.

The developer has been great and they deserve your business.
  6. Jul 18, 2017
    Ok, as some have rightfully critizised the game can be very unforgiven at the beginning and has a steep learning curve. Back in the days (in the original) all you had to do to land was hit the spinning mailbox slot in the station and now you have to do this and then land inside on a platform that you have to locate. I kind of rage quit after the first few unsuccessful tries but once youOk, as some have rightfully critizised the game can be very unforgiven at the beginning and has a steep learning curve. Back in the days (in the original) all you had to do to land was hit the spinning mailbox slot in the station and now you have to do this and then land inside on a platform that you have to locate. I kind of rage quit after the first few unsuccessful tries but once you get a hold to it it can be done with relative ease and a docking computer can be bought for cheap. Took me a week or two to comfortably land on planets and so its kind of baby steps forward. The game still has everything the original game was great in and much much more all the while staying true to its form. Expand
  7. Jun 29, 2017
    The best, most realistic space simulation i have ever played. Absolute freedom, huge galaxy, big variety of missions, realistic challenge and not just a pewpew space shooter, pvp and pve multiplayer. This game has it all. So far i haven't encounter any bugs (the game is already out on pc and xbox a long time now so it would be weird if it had bugs) and it runs smoothly on ps4 and ps4 proThe best, most realistic space simulation i have ever played. Absolute freedom, huge galaxy, big variety of missions, realistic challenge and not just a pewpew space shooter, pvp and pve multiplayer. This game has it all. So far i haven't encounter any bugs (the game is already out on pc and xbox a long time now so it would be weird if it had bugs) and it runs smoothly on ps4 and ps4 pro alike. Only negative thing is the online only solo game cause i would like to be able to play solo at least offline. This is the space game I've been waiting for all my life. No Man's Sky was great but it was a survival game is space not a simulation. I'll be playing this for years to come. Hopefully they won't ever put down the servers or at least make the solo offline sometime in the future. Space sim lovers have to play this and everybody else who don't afraid of a challenge you should try it. Top notch! Expand
  8. Jun 30, 2017
    A space sim, pure and simple. It doesn't give you much - you have to learn it yourself and make the effort. You'll get out whatever you put in and there is no hand holding. Great to see Elite back. It might not be the right flavour for a modern gaming audience but persevere and see what you think. It's what No Man's Sky could have been.
  9. Jul 3, 2017
    An awesome space sim with an unbelievable amount of player freedom. Keep in mind however to spend numerous hours to master the steep learning curve - even with a big number of tutorials included.
    There really are many aspects of the game without any explanation given that simply have to be tackled. But after that you can experience such a huge and wonderful game without any borders players get put in, without any story borders or restriction on how and where to be played. You simply start on place X with your little Sidewinder and get to experience the universe, as bounty hunter, miner, trader, pirate...... it's simply up to you.
  10. Jul 6, 2017
    This is the most immersive space sim I can imagine. With Star Citizen getting delayed untill when they invent real space ships for everyone to buy I can play this game with a lot of fun!

Pros +A big universe to discover! +Nice ships to fly with great sound effects and controls. +Very nice graphics. +One of the best communities. Cons -Engereering of ships can be time consuming.

Pros
    +A big universe to discover!
    +Nice ships to fly with great sound effects and controls.
    +Very nice graphics.
    +One of the best communities.

Cons
    -Engereering of ships can be time consuming.
    -Community participation is a must if you want to get to know all aspects of this game.

Have fun with this game!
  11. Nov 14, 2017
    Not for everyone...But it is for me.

Pros: - Awesome graphics and physics - Freedom of choices with consequences and benefits - 400 Billion stars?! - Upgrading ships and exploring becomes super addictive - Awesome expansion, driving with less than 1g is awesome! Cons: - Controls are a bit touchy and take a while to learn - Takes a lot of time to learn through tutorials and
    Not for everyone...But it is for me.

Pros:
    - Awesome graphics and physics
    - Freedom of choices with consequences and benefits
    - 400 Billion stars?!
    - Upgrading ships and exploring becomes super addictive
    - Awesome expansion, driving with less than 1g is awesome!

Cons:
    - Controls are a bit touchy and take a while to learn
    - Takes a lot of time to learn through tutorials and practice
    - No VR for Playstation yet

Overall I am very impressed with this game and can spend hours just visiting star systems and looking at the planets and stars. I like being able to choose between various career choices and switching as I please. Definitely a 9/10 for me.
  12. Jun 19, 2019
    Elite: Dangerous is a hardcore nonlinear space sim that constantly reminds you exactly how much of an insignificant speck of stardust that you truly are within the vast expanse of the Milky Way. This is not a game that one can "win," because the only real goals are those that you set for yourself. You can mine asteroid belts and planetary rings while avoiding greedy pirates, be a spaceElite: Dangerous is a hardcore nonlinear space sim that constantly reminds you exactly how much of an insignificant speck of stardust that you truly are within the vast expanse of the Milky Way. This is not a game that one can "win," because the only real goals are those that you set for yourself. You can mine asteroid belts and planetary rings while avoiding greedy pirates, be a space trucker/bus driver/smuggler, explore uncharted regions of the galaxy by scanning systems and mapping planets, drive your SRV across the unwelcoming surfaces of lonely moons, or align yourself with galactic superpowers and fight alongside their military forces. All of the above and more are possible. Play in solo/private sessions or take your chances on the open server. It's all up to you.

Personally, I tend to sample a bit of everything, but I spend most of my time exploring and mining. Combat can be fun, but the mechanics seem at odds with the rest of the game. "Deep, but narrow." While I respect anyone with the time and patience to shoehorn themselves into that niche, it never feels quite "right" to me, so I avoid it--outside of the occasional NPC bounty as I scavenge for materials. The flight model in ED is a little weird--with or without Flight Assist. All ships feel as though you are flying through a rather fluid bowl of gelatin--regardless of specs, upgrades, or engineering. They even have "top speeds" and weapons have a very limited range. Yes, even lasers. I understand these design choices, but I get enough of short-range brawling in other games. It's like a more realistic and infinitely more complex version of Ace Combat in space.* (*For console veterans...PC flight/space sim players know what I'm talking about.)

So, I head to the black...or the rings...or even a bit of station-hopping and sightseeing when the isolation becomes too unbearable. I sing to rocks and howl at moons. (Seriously--if you can convince any of your friends to play with you, that goes a long way toward alleviating the madness.) Fly however you see fit, Commander. ;)
  13. May 13, 2019
    I have this on PC and PS4. I personal;ly prefer the PS4 version, as the PS4 controller is very good and has been configured very well for this game.
    Graphically, the PC version looks nicer, but not by much.
    This will be a love it or hate it type game. There's no real solid story to follow. So if that's important to you, then this game is probably not for you. If you like exploration,
    Graphically, the PC version looks nicer, but not by much.

If you like exploration, buying loads of different types of ships, upgrading ships, trading and various other things you can just "Get on with" without being tied to a story, then you'll probably like this.

It IS obviously multiplayer, but it's not an aspect of the game I've explored that much. I quite like just doing my own thing and it's cool to see other players getting on with what they're doing.

Overall, I think 8 out of 10 is a fair score, as even with the latest update (April 2019), it;s still not that noob friendly and the tutorials barely suffice.
    However there's LOADS of tutorials on Youtube made by players that are very good.

Also, you really need to do research online about where to go to pursue your goals and interests in game. Again, if you're into that sort of thing, then fine. But if you just want to get into the game and play and feel like it's a rewarding experience, you will initially be disappointed.

So yeah, I'd say 8/10 for the first 20 or so hours, then 9/10 once you get past the REALLY steep learning curve.
  14. Feb 16, 2020
    Una obra maestra dónde Frontier sabe escuchar al cliente .
    Una obra maestra dónde Frontier sabe escuchar al cliente .
    No puedo estar más conforme con este juego por incontables razones , desde cambios en su mecánica al incorporar ayudas a novatos hasta lo arches que solucionan Bugs , una de las mejores comunidades de personas dentro de un juego no apto para cualquiera , exploración de la más profunda en un universo de 400 billones de sistemas y con la incorporación de horizons hacen que este juego una vez comprado puedas jugarlo hasta el fin de tus
  15. Dec 3, 2018
    I like this game. There is something in this game what keeps you for the next hours, and hours of playing. Game from patch to patch is much better - screenshot generator.
  16. Apr 19, 2018
    Maybe I'm nostalgic, since I played this during my early teens in the mid Eighties, or maybe its the amount of content the current game has to offer. Elite Dangerous is still my primary game almost a year after launch. I play the game how want to, without the constraints of being forced down tunnels. Exploring is relaxing, mining is risky and Bounty Hunting full of action... and still lotsMaybe I'm nostalgic, since I played this during my early teens in the mid Eighties, or maybe its the amount of content the current game has to offer. Elite Dangerous is still my primary game almost a year after launch. I play the game how want to, without the constraints of being forced down tunnels. Exploring is relaxing, mining is risky and Bounty Hunting full of action... and still lots more to do! A++ in my books. Expand
  17. Nov 24, 2017
    Thumbs up. grEat game.Thumbs up. grEat game. 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 Expand
  18. Dec 6, 2017
    There is a lot to be said about this game. In fact I am not sure it can be said in the confines of the character limit of this review. Most people seem to have a love hate relationship with this game. At its core it is a space simulation game consisting of an entire galaxy to explore. That galaxy also does not care about you. You aren't a hero or some chosen one. You start with a smallThere is a lot to be said about this game. In fact I am not sure it can be said in the confines of the character limit of this review. Most people seem to have a love hate relationship with this game. At its core it is a space simulation game consisting of an entire galaxy to explore. That galaxy also does not care about you. You aren't a hero or some chosen one. You start with a small ship and a short mission then are sent off to so as you will. Want to go mine an asteroid? Go for it. Shoot some criminals? Be a criminal? Also both options. For some people however, these will all be negatives. Making money and gaining ranks is also very time consuming and will turn many people away. The game isn't for everyone, but for those into time consuming simulation style games the game is amazing. Expand
  19. Nov 6, 2017
    Very nice game, it requires a lot of time and reading before playing (instructions, guides and watching movies in the game or completing the trainings) but it will pay off. Everyone who likes MMO, space movies and games, has a lot of free time on his hand should try it. The graphic is sometimes a bit outdated and many space stations and planets looks similiar so -2 points for that. ThereVery nice game, it requires a lot of time and reading before playing (instructions, guides and watching movies in the game or completing the trainings) but it will pay off. Everyone who likes MMO, space movies and games, has a lot of free time on his hand should try it. The graphic is sometimes a bit outdated and many space stations and planets looks similiar so -2 points for that. There are plenty interesting missions and ways to upgrade your ship allowing further and faster travelling with bigger potential for weapons, shields, hulls and cargo space. it is very easy to drown in the Milky Way (yes it is real galaxy - our galaxy with all the stars) world. I recommend to anyone who is interested in outer space games. Expand
  20. Feb 12, 2019
    This game is an absolute must for players who love exploring the universe. Game looks verry realistic, with loads of stuff to do. Combat, mining, trading, exploring etc.
  21. Mar 23, 2018
    Probably one of the best sci-fi flight games currently available with an excellent balance between simulation aspects and more simplified mechanics for game-play reasons in my opinion. The developers actively listen to their community and make adjustments based on what the reception is, (heat meta for one) and are very much open to suggestions. While the CQC mode is basically dead outsideProbably one of the best sci-fi flight games currently available with an excellent balance between simulation aspects and more simplified mechanics for game-play reasons in my opinion. The developers actively listen to their community and make adjustments based on what the reception is, (heat meta for one) and are very much open to suggestions. While the CQC mode is basically dead outside of the developer held tournaments, that was never the primary focus of the games development. Speaking of development, while it is a little slow, Frontier are not a AAA studio and when they do put out updates, they are usually full on expansion level updates with significant amounts of content added. Incidentally the game has a star system with multiple earth-like planets modelled in the game called Trappist-1 in real life (Core Sys Sector XU-P A5-0 in Elite Dangerous) that was surprisingly close to where the star system is in reality... Just 39 Light Years off the mark. (For reference, our galaxy, is about 100,000 Light Years across, all of which can be visited in the game if you have the fuel and the jump range.) If this seems like a game for you, give it a go. The base game is $20 on Steam and the Horizons DLC is an extra $20. The only micro-transactions are completely cosmetic but usually are a disadvantage to running them. Expand
  22. Sep 4, 2018
    This is the best game I have ever played.
    This is the best game I have ever played.
    After 2000 hours, I still have a hard time turning it off. That said, you may not like it! It is a space sim with a 1/1 milky way galaxy. you can travel for days without seeing anything interesting. to travel across the entire map takes weeks. This game is about the journey, not the goal, because there is no defined goal. you make up your own goal.
    Even after all these years, the devs update regularly, adding great in depth mechanics.
  23. Feb 25, 2019
    Endless space.. You can go wherever you want to go. After 3.3 patch game became more beautiful.
  24. Apr 27, 2020
    Abbastanza complesso data la presenza della sola lingua inglese e l'assenza di tutorial. Sicuramente un ottimo titolo sbattendoci la testa ma la sua struttura troppo libera e senza una storia potrebbe renderlo ripetitivo e non dare un chiaro scopo al giocatore. Personalmente ho preferito No Man's Sky ma rigorosamente da giocare se amanti dello spazio e dell'esplorazione spaziale
  25. Jul 20, 2020
    One of if not THE best space sims out there! it takes some used to but if you have always wanted to be a traveler in out milky way! This is a MUST HAVE! You are not the hero that saves the galaxy.. You are just you.. living in the galaxy! if you are ok with that you will love this game. If you wish to be a Luke Skywalker there are other games for that!

Generally favorable reviews - based on 17 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Feb 8, 2018
    For every moment awed in the presence of a monumental celestial body, there are ten in which you’re lonely, humbled, and really quite bored. [October 2017, p79]
  2. Dec 12, 2017
    Elite: Dangerous feels a bit like a lifestyle choice, honestly. Getting good at piloting and traversing this universe takes almost as long as a full length game in and of itself. For those who endure, there's some exciting things happening in space, but for the rest, the price might be too high. This is clearly an example of a niche game, a remarkably thorough space sim that requires patience and tenacity to unearth its many secrets. It also requires caring about the universe you're in, and that can often be difficult to do after extended periods of time fighting with the game itself, whether it be through the controls or long stretches of nothing happening. As Carl Sagan once said, though: "The universe seems neither benign nor hostile; merely indifferent."
  3. CD-Action
    Sep 25, 2017
    If the PS4 edition is you first contact with Elite, you’re in for a treat, as you receive a game that has been evolving for almost 3 years (but hasn’t aged a bit!) along with Horizons expansion. [09/2017, p.30]