7.8

Watch Now
Buy on

1. Sep 5, 2018
    This is probably one of the best Formula One games in a long while in terms of both gameplay, quality graphics, physics and does sufficiently enough in content.

Playing with a wheel, you can note that the physics have substantially changed from 2017 which can especially noticed on the kerbing on the tracks. Not to mention that the way the cars feel is a fair bit more pleasant in comparison to last year as the car feels like it glides around the circuit thanks to the downforce.

The career has some neat editions including interviews and upgrade department resets, both of which are neat and are hopefully expanded on in the coming years. AI have certainly improved for the better and are more aggressive and will fight each other which is fresh for an F1 game. ERS is an interesting and well done addition to the game which adds another element to overtaking of one chooses to use it manually. I am glad that there is an option to have ERS automatic for those people who aren't as experienced in using it. The practice programmes I believe have been edited somewhat and I like how when you install any upgrade, it gives you a chance to get a small sum of extra resource points.

For their time, the graphics blow a lot of other games out of the water as nearly everything is visually stunning. There are a few minor tweaks to be made but they don't impact on the overall quality that much. Sometimes though on PS4, I've found that the resolution of some images and cars can be blurry however, it fixes itself after 5 to 10 seconds. It's probably due to the hardware.

The amount of content is good enough and has everything you'd expect in terms of the 2018 season. The helmet selection is large enough as is character choice. I do find it unfortunate how i cannot go under the HAR abbreviation anymore thanks to Brendon Hartley. Classic content hasn't been added to all that much but the content that is there can be considered as quality. I feel that classic tracks should have been a thing in the game, especially seen as we lost Sepang this year. Maybe we will be seeing DLC content with more cars and tracks in the future of the game but only time will tell that at this point.

Really the only thing I could think of to improve the game next year is to have pre-season testing at the start of every season in career mode as a way to earn more resource points prior to the start of the season. It'd be an interesting addition and would improve realism.

With a few small bugs here and there as well, it means that I believe that this game is a 9/10. It is more than worth buying and is nearly the best title under the Formula One licensing.
  2. Nov 16, 2018
    I've been following the F1 Series closely for a long time and this is a greatly improved game, definitely worth it. The game feels very real and i can't put it down!
  3. Sep 13, 2018
    REALISM! REALISM! REALISM! Keep going Codemasters, you make it good. I can't imagine what you'll deserve to us in next year ;)
  4. Aug 29, 2018
    Absolutely nails the two main categories for me: gameplay and graphics. I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore sim racer but the handling feels amazing. You really notice the tyre performance change depending on wear/rain. Speaking of rain, the dynamic weather adds to the already top notch graphics. After rain you'll notice the sun shine through onto the track & grandstands just a little bit moreAbsolutely nails the two main categories for me: gameplay and graphics. I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore sim racer but the handling feels amazing. You really notice the tyre performance change depending on wear/rain. Speaking of rain, the dynamic weather adds to the already top notch graphics. After rain you'll notice the sun shine through onto the track & grandstands just a little bit more each lap.
    Plenty of game modes as well so replayability is high.
    I'm yet to play online so can't comment on that. Keen for it though.

The only flaws I see are in the inconsequential stuff in career mode, like in the interviews you don't even have time to read the responses let alone choose one. & the animations are all the same before each session.

A must buy if you have a wheel and don't already have F1 2017
  5. Aug 30, 2018
    There's an immediate noticeable difference in driving physics compared to 2017 that's well worth the upgrade (played on a controller with no assists). ERS adds welcome depth in managing your energy resource through a race (think of it as F1 nitrous), and this time tyres can properly overheat or go cold like you see drivers battle with IRL. Ranked multiplayer is a great addition too, takingThere's an immediate noticeable difference in driving physics compared to 2017 that's well worth the upgrade (played on a controller with no assists). ERS adds welcome depth in managing your energy resource through a race (think of it as F1 nitrous), and this time tyres can properly overheat or go cold like you see drivers battle with IRL. Ranked multiplayer is a great addition too, taking notes from GT Sport and iRacing which helps improve the experience all around (as well as region matchmaking).

Hoping there won't be much game breaking bugs. If you are into motorsport games this is a solid pick.
  6. Aug 24, 2018
    Firstly let me take this moment to congratulate Codemasters on what is the best looking F1 game ever. Visually stunning, graphically awesome, ok the real drivers aren’t perfect but is close. But for me it’s the gameplay that takes the crown. So the game opens with you picking your driver, trying to pick someone who likes me, always fun, from face, helmet, then name and nationality. ThenFirstly let me take this moment to congratulate Codemasters on what is the best looking F1 game ever. Visually stunning, graphically awesome, ok the real drivers aren’t perfect but is close. But for me it’s the gameplay that takes the crown. So the game opens with you picking your driver, trying to pick someone who likes me, always fun, from face, helmet, then name and nationality. Then the menu screen. Forget the rest and pick career mode. This is where like all the critics have raved about the biggest improvements on last years. And let me say this, you will want to play all 3 practice sessions ok. Let me explain. You are given little challenges to complete and in the process get yourself up the leaderboard and get that number one spot. Then qualifying, oh wow it’s a one shot one lap shootout, but the great thing is the lead car is a ghost, say it could be Vettel or Hamilton, or anyone for that matter, beat the ghost car in one lap you've bagged pole position. And just to note for those new to this, well there isn’t many of us new to it when it comes watching this great sport but playing it is a very different animal. Just start on beginner and go from there. To sum it up, the greatest F1 game ever made. Expand
  7. Nov 10, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a game. I haven't had this much fun with a driving/racing sim since Gran Turismo 1 and 2. I never previously touched an F1 title, but I've been a patron of Codemasters' rally games since they first started producing them. Recently, for whatever reason, I developed an urge to play something that didn't involve the usual lot of GT and production vehicles. Having now played through an entire season calendar, I'd strongly recommend F1 2018 to anybody keen on driving/racing sims.

As one who's usually only interested in reading the negative aspects of a game, I'll skip to my list of [minor] cons based on version 1.14. Note that despite these cons, it's a highly enjoyable sim and a worthy purchase.

- Some textures appear fuzzy, taking a second or two to load properly. Some textures appear fuzzy and stay that way. This is not obtrusive nor immersion-breaking. The most obvious examples are certain sponsor logos.

- Career mode settings cannot be readjusted after commencing a new career (to my knowledge). This includes difficulty level. You might wish you had this ability when attempting Monaco's infamous Circuit de Rage Quit. Conversely, you might wish you had this ability when it becomes apparent that the game is too easy, three race weekends in.

- Cutscene animations are reused over, and over, and over. Although they can be skipped, this may break immersion and make for a slightly less exciting experience.

- Certain cutscene animations make no sense. Example: Vettel fist pumping after finishing 7th. Neither he nor his teammate won a podium spot, and both his driver and constructor standings dropped. So, what exactly is he celebrating?

- Procurement. I like that certain vehicle parts fail randomly (or predictably, depending on one's perspective). What I don't like is that I'm somehow responsible for procuring spares. It's an aspect of the game for which I have zero interest. I get that in a true driving/racing sim, I'm going to have some involvement in maintenance with regards to mitigating wear and tear. But, I'm ultimately a driver - not a purchasing officer. Let somebody else handle it.

- Blame. Why am I being scolded like a petulant child by some corporate skirt? I was leading by a gap of more than 10 seconds in the final lap before my car's quantum discombobulator decided to crap itself - causing me to finish last. Maybe if she'd hired a qualified purchasing officer, incidents like this would seldom occur.

- You can rewind and redo that corner so that you'll live to drive a couple hundred yards before crashing into the next one, but you can't rewind and redo botched contract negotiations. Currently, the only solution is to restart the game before it saves.

- The penalty to one's reputation level with their team for choosing the wrong answer during a press interview is sometimes too severe. The amount of reputation lost in this scenario can equal nearly as much as the amount gained from winning a race. However, press interviews can also be reattempted if the game is restarted before it saves. This technique will not wipe your preceeding race results.

- Carl, the sole mechanic for all F1 teams, only ever recommends the most expensive vehicle upgrade a player can afford. I feel his recommendations should rather be based on telemetry and what is likely to benefit the player most considering their racing style.

- My final con isn't one that can be helped, unfortunately. I'm all for climate stuff and saving whales, but boy do these new hybrid F1 cars sound terrible. I'll save you some effort by saying that Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda have the least annoying sounding ride of the entire 2018 season roster. But, that doesn't mean it sounds good. Every vehicle in the modern line-up sounds like some combination of dying electric shaver, hedge trimmer, vacuum cleaner, blender and vibrator. Luckily, the game lets you drive a variety of historic F1 cars on the side - and most of them sound great. Especially, the 2003 Williams FW25 (available via DLC).
  8. Oct 5, 2018
    the same game 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36
  9. Dec 15, 2018
    Un juego de F1 como debe ser.

Desde el F1 2016 no se había hecho otro salto importante dentro de esta franquicia, en el F1 2017 se incluían algunas caracteristicas nuevas como el árbol de desarrollo del monoplaza, pero no estaba pulido al 100% y daba la sensación de que no había un avance. Como siempre este tipo de juegos de conducción siempre son mas disfrutables con un buen volante
    Un juego de F1 como debe ser.

Como siempre este tipo de juegos de conducción siempre son mas disfrutables con un buen volante con force feedback, en mi caso con un G29.

El modo trayectoria se perfecciona y se le añade mas contenido como es de esperar, aun queda mucho para conseguir un modo trayectoria perfecto, pero este esta muy bien elaborado y tiene su profundidad y alicientes para que lo completemos.

En cuanto al modo online se ha añadido por fin los esperados niveles de pilotaje y limpieza de cada jugador, que aunque se pueda mejorar es un gran salto para que este modo de juego se pueda llegar a disfrutar dando igual si quieres jugar limpiamente o si solo te dedicas a ir a chocar a los demás.

En conclusión, este año se a dado un salto adelante en todos los apartados y estamos ante un juego que nos aportara muchas horas de diversión.
  10. Jan 7, 2019
    Aside from the increasingly interesting career mode mechanics with interviews making a comeback (whatever happened to these after the early Codies' F1-games?) and regulation changes, the core content and gameplay hasn't changed in years.

Aside from those two features that increase my rating for this by one, the rest can be read from my review for F1 2017 (PS4).
  11. Jul 20, 2020
    Codemasters best F1 game to date, If it had full VR support it would have nailed it and scored the crown.
  12. Dec 3, 2018
    I'm going to be honest. The physics are good, the cars feel natural. The gameplay is solid. Graphics are what you expect in 2018.

But god, oh god, this game was broken on release and it's still broken 14 (!) patches later. Online is a bugfest. Getting stuck in the pits for minutes. SO MUCH DESYNC! You can be 2 meters behind a car and somehow the car in front will feel contact without

Online is a bugfest. Getting stuck in the pits for minutes. SO MUCH DESYNC! You can be 2 meters behind a car and somehow the car in front will feel contact without ever happening. Safety car NEVER comes out and when it does, it's for a manual retirement that would never be a safety car in real life.

Singleplayer is ok. Career mode is way too easy to upgrade your car, making you very powerful in just a season.

Codemasters need to develop a new engine and fast.
  13. Nov 25, 2018
    Love the series and been playing F1 2017 before I decided to “upgrade” to 2018. Mixed feelings. Looks great, handling definitely better. Other that that, sorry to say but I find it’s a glorified version of 2017 with a “halo” and the official 2018 music. Everything else is the same. Not impressed but will definitely play the game. As I said, was playing 2017 anyway.
  14. Oct 25, 2018
    It's the best F1 game since F1 2012, and everything feels and looks like the real deal. As a racing game fan it's probably the best racing game of 2018 after FH4.
  15. Mar 1, 2019
    LET OP DIT IS MIJN MENING

LET OP DIT IS MIJN MENING

het spel is goed voor wat het is maar, als je een vervolg op een spel maakt moet je het goede van een spel nemen en daarop uitbreiden. ze nemen het goede van het spel maar breiden er niet goed op uit bijvoorbeeld maar 2 nieuwe banen de campaign kan wel leuk zijn maar de gamplay blijft hetzelfde als je f1 2017 en f1 2018 naast elkaar zou zetten zou ik zeggen dat het enige verschil de halo was. natuurlijk verdiep ik mij niet heel erg in f1 maar als je je daar in zou verdiepen zou je denk ik wel wat meer verschilen naast een halo en 2 banen zien.
  16. Jun 18, 2019
    Öncelikle belirteyim oyun oynanış açısından güzel
    Kariyer modu başarılı ama daha iyisi olabilirmiş
    Gözüme çarpıp oyunda canımı sıkan en büyük problem ise multiplayerda ceza sistemleri.
    Codemasters kesinlikle f12019da bu ceza sistemlerini duzeltmeli 9/10

Generally favorable reviews - based on 41 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Jan 9, 2019
    Unlike the 2017 edition, F1 2018 failed to surprise me with the scope and depth of changes it introduces to the series. Basically it is the 2017 edition, but a bit fresher, a tad more modern and somewhat more realistic, which makes it a very good game. [11/2018, p.78]
  2. Oct 9, 2018
    Continually evolving with each new iteration, F1 2018 is still the definitive F1 racing game. Just don’t expect any new game-changing mechanics or additions.
  3. Games Master UK
    Oct 4, 2018
    Don't expect huge changes over last year, but this is still a better game both on and off the track. [Nov 2018, p.82]