6.6

1. Nov 16, 2015
    Honest Review

I made a meta critic account to review this game because I am extremely disappointed. I pre ordered this game weeks in advance because I am a if fan of the fallout series. I enjoyed Fallout 3 and yes even New Vegas. I couldn't wait to sit down for hours and tell everyone how good this game is...alas it isn't so. The graphics for one are mediocre at best with game such
    Honest Review

The graphics for one are mediocre at best with game such as witcher 3 and assassins creed pushing the envelope. There is no excuse for this at all. Honestly it's comparable to the graphics in Fallout 3

The story, I know how could they screw this part up. This is what I was like looking forward to the most. They were very lazy in putting the story together. There is no back story or time to get in to the character which is a staple with fallout games. The reviewers say they throw you in to the story. I say they were lazy plain and simple. The result is I don't care about the character or his journey.

The gameplay smh. It just isn't fun. There is no yes moment when you kill your last enemy or go through the dialogue which is all bad. The main character sounds like he is one word away from going straight to sleep.

In the end I am very disappointed. Bethesda had enough time to knock this out the park but gave us something that feels unfinished . I read through the positive reviews no and I understand people want to like this game honestly I get that. As gamers though we can't settle for mediocrity lets reward companies who push the envelope and berate those who give us slop. This is the first game I ever preordered and I'm honestly amazed at how mediocre it is. I would rent it first if you like it then buy. Shame on Bethesda though for releasing this knowing it was half crap.
  2. Nov 17, 2015
    No choice on how to develop your character, no branching storylines in quest, no real RPG elements what so ever. This is one of the most dumbed down entries I've seen in a series that once prided itself on choice and consequence.
  3. Nov 17, 2015
    What a big letdown! Bethesda promised FALLOUT and RPG so I quickly went out of my way to freaking buy this game. What I got is FARCRY+BORDERLANDS!!!

This is not an RPG but an open world FPS! Gone are the brilliant sidequests in NV where you can finish a quest numerous ways and you can even be an evil bastard. Instead you get a quest, kill X amount, and go back to npc and be the good guy everyone wants you to be. Bethesda what the hell happened?

Granted, a lot of gameplay has been polished but the RPG elements really took a step back. This game is great without the Fallout name but what I wanted is Fallout not FarcryLands!
  4. Nov 16, 2015
    This is a review to negate my early review (of about 10 hours play) rated at 6.

This is a review to negate my early review (of about 10 hours play) rated at 6.

This game gets its hooks in you. As pro site reviewer said, "the details make it." That sentiment is right. The deja vu is strong in the first 10-20 hours, and it doesn't hold your hand–and that's when you realize that's what makes this game shine. The homesteader aspect of defending whatever garage/outpost; treating the power armor as a "vehicle"–these are the little touches that makes me wish I had played this game with fresh eyes. But Fallout 3 colored my first dozen or so hours. Fans won't be disappointed; it just make take some time before you realize it.
  5. Nov 12, 2015
    STOP!

Don't buy this game now and wait for the price to drop and buy it cheap. Cheap price for a cheap game. I'm not gonna repeat all that is said in the bad reviews, read them, it's all there. 1) Bethesda should fire all team. There is a clear lack of ambition and competence. You have the money, but you lack the professionals. Bethesda was a reference in RPGs but no longer.
    STOP!

Don't buy this game now and wait for the price to drop and buy it cheap.
    Cheap price for a cheap game.

1) Bethesda should fire all team. There is a clear lack of ambition and competence. You have the money, but you lack the professionals. Bethesda was a reference in RPGs but no longer. There are emerging teams a lot better than you creating RPG games.

Like in the Elder Scrolls series that afters a decade can't still even get a decent combat system.

2) Get a new decent engine along with decent programmers, writters and graphical artists. Your employees suck. They lack vision, quality and ambition. This is 2015 and Bethesda no longer rule in the RPG kingdom.

I should have bought Divinity: Original Sin for PS4 instead of Fallout 4. What a mistake...

This game is no way a zero, but you get one has a punishment for trying to destroy what was in the past a decent game.

Please Bethesda, if you ever read this, fire all your employees and get new ones. Why?

I love Witcher as i love Fallout, Mass Effect or Elder scrolls, so i'm not defending or attacking no one...

Witcher 3

"Took 3.5 years to develope with a total of 240 in-house staff. The development and marketing costs was about $81 million USD."

And they've created a great game techically, artistically and with amazing writting.

So now, Bethesda, compare this values with your values to create Fallout 4 that has poor writting, poor artistic value and technically looks like a Fallout 3 HD Remaster.

After all this years of waiting i must say i'm truly disappointed with this game.

Now i have to wait another 7 years to review Fallout 5.

Over and out.
  6. Nov 12, 2015
    I registered with metacritic just to write a review on this huge disappointment. I never played fallout 1 or 2. I however, fell in love with the game based off fallout 3 AND fallout new vegas. All the create your own path elements are completely removed from the game. As with many other games, when you "simplify" and "streamline" games that were already wildly popular, you are basicallyI registered with metacritic just to write a review on this huge disappointment. I never played fallout 1 or 2. I however, fell in love with the game based off fallout 3 AND fallout new vegas. All the create your own path elements are completely removed from the game. As with many other games, when you "simplify" and "streamline" games that were already wildly popular, you are basically dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator, and ignoring the fact the game was wildly popular before without having done so. What once was a great game is ruined. The fact you could kill almost anyone was a reflection of the make any choice feel to the game. Now, 90% of NPCs are invincible, but are able to remember your bad actions and kill you even after you have respawned from the fact they just killed you. No weapons are armor degradation. Boring repetitive dialogue wheel. I would rather have kept no voice for more depth of dialogue choices, outcomes, consequences, and funny responses. You could be whoever you wanted in the game, but of course with consequences. Now, besides your looks, every character is the same bland character at heart. Yes the previous fallout had general endings, but at least they were ranged based on what you've done and the kind of person you had been throughout the game. The things that made the game an enjoyable challenging, like actually have consequences and rewards to having certain special attributes, skills and perks, to weapons and armor degradation, to having to or choosing to alter your playstyle to fit your characters unique skill set and personality, was what made the game so immersive and made you feel as if you were a part of the game, telling your own story. I find the biggest irony to be that the game is rated mature but gutted out, dumbed down and simplified enough so that small children can follow along. The thrill of finally getting your hands on power armor midway or late in the game is quickly replaced by a deflated instant gratification of being in armor 20 minutes into the game. Yes the FPS elements are improved, the settlement idea is cool if that's your thing, and it makes the massive amount of random items more useful, but it also makes them potentially more annoying and tedious to collect. I could care less about the graphics, and even some of the bugs, if the story, choice and gameplay elements were as great as before. Bethesda failed to realize that the very same thing that allowed them to get away with what has turned out to be a massive hype train cash grab is exactly what they have abandoned. The overpriced McDonalds happy meal quality pip boy that needs a phone to work with the game, otherwise its a cheap fragile prop. The t shirts, the figurines, the collectors edition vault dwellers guide, etc., etc., etc. this game was so commercialized from the beginning I should have seen the quality coming. No I have nothing against Bethesda, well at least not up until now. I never played and elder scolls, skyrim, or mass effect. But apparently this is a common theme from understandably pissed repeat victims of Bethesda. As much as the COD sheep crowd and professional critic crowd want to dismiss us as unpleasable, stuck in the past "metacritic troll" curmudgeons, this game is a siginificant downgrade to the series. I also find the critique of saying its a remastered fallout 3 or a fallout 3 dlc to be too kind. Fallout 3 and IMO especially Fallout New Vegas, are superior in every way to fallout 4. The only way I will ever consider buying another fallout is if obsidian is put in charge of development again. Wasted money on a watered down disappointment, that sacrificed the awesome intricacies for superficial "mass appeal upgrades" like a voiced character and improved FPS elements. Sadly and ironically the game already had mass appeal without these horrid "tradeoffs" and now in my opinion, never will have the same hype. Franchises always do this. Ditch what made you an awesome game in order to have more mass appeal, but in the end never realizing that what you chose to ditch is exactly what gave you mass appeal. People don't buy franchise games because of how much they are exactly like other franchise games. They buy franchise games because they are their own unique game, yet they are similar to other games in the franchise, but with improvements, without detracting from or sacrificing old elements that made the game a thrill in the first place. If I want to see COD elements in every game, I will keep playing COD. If I want to see GTA in every game, I will keep playing GTA. If I want to see fallout elements in every game, well I guess I cant play FO4, I need to go back to new vegas or FO3. People don't buy different games to keep playing the same generic game with different studios and names plastered on front of the game. I thought I was buying fallout 4, not fallout of duty black ops. GOTY? no, more like disappointment of the year. Expand
  7. Nov 14, 2015
    *First of all, to all the people giving this game a 0, 1 or 2 rating... really? You have no idea what a 0, 1, or 2 rating game really is... Now my impressions of the game:

Bethesda what happened? I'm so disappointed by this game. The graphics are just meh... but that doesn't matter, but then with the mediocre graphics the game has, how is it that the game has some FPS drops? HOW?!?!

Bethesda what happened?

The story is not really interesting neither but that didn't catch me as a surprise to be honest (Haven't finished it yet though, I have played it like 24 hours or so). The problem is that not only I have to deal with the mostly dumb dialogues this game offers, I also have to suffer the worst voice acting I have heard on a huge triple A game. Spanish voice actors I mean, don't know how the English voice acting is for the game, but I wish I could, because guess what, I CAN'T CHANGE THE F***ING LANGUAGE OF THE GAME!! WHYYY!!!

And the decisions you make on the game are:
    Option 1: YES
    Option 2: NO
    ^ That's exactly the kind of decisions you are going to find on this game. Awesome right?...

It took me quite some time to get used to the controls of the game because they are not what you would consider good...

I'm not going to play the game right now any longer, I'm going to wait for some patches because the game needs them. So right now I give the game a 4, when they release some patches maybe it will go up to a 6 or even more. I hope so...

So this is not a review since I haven't finished it yet, just my impressions.
  8. Nov 12, 2015
    No longer an rpg the game,dialogue, skills and perks overhaul was a huge mistake and the game becomes boring very quickly
    if you buy it fo PC ask a refound
  9. Nov 10, 2015
    Ehhhhhh. Disappointed is an under-statement, thanks a lot Last of Us.

Ehhhhhh. Disappointed is an under-statement, thanks a lot Last of Us.

I know it's not the same game, the RPG feature being the major factor in why people buy the majority of Bethesda games. But with the setting being quite similar it makes it very difficult for me not to compare the two (especially after playing in 3rd person mode). The game doesn't feel like it's progressed enough since Fallout 3, certainly not enough for 7 years and on a new generation of consoles. The frame-rate consistently drops way below its capped 30fps, very frustrating bugs when playing and a broken autosave function that basically just doesn't.. save.. After about 4 hours straight gameplay, and after numerous "autosaves" I died. This returned me way back, literally missions back. I had trophies for missions I completed, then had to complete the missions again. After re-doing the missions, I found the only way to do it is to manual save, which can be quite frustrating as it's so easy to forget in 2015.

Remembering when The Last of Us was released on Playstation 3, visually it was better than this is, the gameplay was a hell of a lot smoother and although it did have bugs they weren't game-changing, the gameplay was good enough to forgive and so was the story. For this being a story-oriented game, I expected a lot better after eagerly awaiting it since its announcements' teasing announcement. The last of Us, for me personally, has really set the bar for the whole post-apocalyptic theme and this game falls way, way short of it in any way.

Despite this, the game is still playable to an extent and would hope that the game isn't so bug-filled and disappointing for others. I have full faith that Bethesda will patch the problems sooner rather than later, they really won't want to lose any more reputation on a big game leading up to Christmas. But until these fixes are popped-up in the top left corner of my screen with a v1.02 update, my copy is staying in the shelf.

And people, I know it's bad right now, but giving it 0/10 implies it's one of the worst games ever made. We all know that award is a fight between the annual murder of the COD and FIFA franchises.
  10. Nov 11, 2015
    I am really disappointed and slightly deflated to be playing this after so much hope and excitement.
    I don't know if it's purely my expectations based on the fact they've had years and a massive budget to produce a game more polished than what Skyrim looks like today with mods, but judging by many of the other reviewers here (not paid companies and journalists) I'm not the only one by far.
    I literally stopped playing last night as I had work this morning and I cant be bothered going back. Instead I've downloaded the new DLC for Witcher 3.
    I would try and say to those ho are massive Bethesda, Skyrim, Fallout 3 fans to try it out, but honestly I really can't recommend it, I shouldn't. I feel really let down and we're all pretty much just contributing to our own disappointment. They know we'll just buy these games no matter what.
    I wouldn't be surprised if in 4-5 years they try to sell us a new elder scrolls in the form of a mod kit for £50 and just continue to laugh as the money pours in :(
  11. Nov 13, 2015
    A quick summary for any of you page scrollers: If you're a fan of fallout (particularly NV), you're going to be majorly disappointed. If you're someone whos a big RPG fan, you're going to be disappointed. If you're neither of those you might have a good time with the game but if you do i strongly advise you whip out the last gen systems and play FO3/NV (Especially NV).
  12. Nov 15, 2015
    Played the game for 10 hours, and I've got enough. The game unfortunately has suffered a serious dumb-down. What I hate most is that it could even be a decent game. Some of the changes aren't even really that bad. Sure the new leveling system might hurt a bit at first, but it's a good attempt to balance the incredibly broken skill system (I mean does anybody miss Survival, really?).Played the game for 10 hours, and I've got enough. The game unfortunately has suffered a serious dumb-down. What I hate most is that it could even be a decent game. Some of the changes aren't even really that bad. Sure the new leveling system might hurt a bit at first, but it's a good attempt to balance the incredibly broken skill system (I mean does anybody miss Survival, really?). Crafting system means instead of going to a vendor, you will scrap useless weapons of your enemies and modify your own. Radiation matters and it matters much. But well, that's it for the advantages of this game.

Main issue of this game? You go to the nearest location of your vault and hear shooting raiders. Not thinking much you go shooting them, a obvious quest-giver hero figure shows and thanks you because you had a choice to go away. Oh, really? My only real choice there was to start a mission or not start a mission. I couldn't shoot him in the face, I couldn't just tell them to run away with me to the sanctuary, since I wanted to make a pacifist run. No the only real choice I had was to mow down Raiders with a minigun in a power suit, or go away. I couldn't even make a choice about how my character would behave. It was mostly yes, no, question and sarcastic, which half of the time is playful, half is annoyed. Which brings us to another great issue: lack of character creation. Sure I could sculpt faces of both of them however I wanted, but it was still a person capable of having a family. No psychopaths, no antisocial nerds. Wonder how he got such a good wife with one point of charisma. Part of what makes Bethesda recipe games good is how we forget about main quest while exploring surroundings, each having it's own story. No such thing in Fallout 4. You will constantly remind everybody (and game will for you) that you have a son you don't care about to rescue. The settlement mechanic is slapped on the game and provides you no reason to use it. Do you really care about some unnamed settlers who provide no reason to fight for them, only demanding really useful and rare resources like military grade circuit board, for some radiated fruits?

Game isn't even immersive, does not make you care about what goes on the screen, only to push your armor to protect you against more damage. No illusion of autonomy, you either go a one specific way designers expect you to, or you don't go at all. It's worst sin is that unlike Skyrim, which had many similar problems, it's also unengaging of all things.
  13. Nov 16, 2015
    It's sad. I made a metacritc acc just to do this, sad release, sad game. How critic reviews are so high? That is impossible that a professional human, evolved in all context that's this game represent give it a 7+. It is a 7 on max, for a fps with crafting.
    How could Bethesda said that's the most ambition game ever? It is completely a lie, theres no point in game that's flag his ambition.
    The game is fallout new vegas on a upside down perspective,
    just about everything is wrong. It has MINOR improvements from Fallout 3 and is just that. Seven years later, seven.
    Total shame. Be good with you and go play Witcher 3.
  14. Nov 16, 2015
    Unlike many others, this is my first time playing a Fallout games. I truly enjoy games where I can create my own character, which is why I was looking forward to this game. Even reserved it. Unfortunately, the story is bad. Why am I fighting to save people 30 minutes after leaving the vault if I am supposed to be looking for my baby? Why should I risk my life for these people withUnlike many others, this is my first time playing a Fallout games. I truly enjoy games where I can create my own character, which is why I was looking forward to this game. Even reserved it. Unfortunately, the story is bad. Why am I fighting to save people 30 minutes after leaving the vault if I am supposed to be looking for my baby? Why should I risk my life for these people with guns, which jeopardizes my main goal? Also, I am encountering game bugs. For example, I like to play with subtitles on so I don't miss any of the dialogue. At times, a subtitle already spoken will remain on screen after being spoken, while the audio voice of the characters continues on. The only way to correct it was go into the options, turn subtitles off, go back to the game, than back to options to turn them back on. Very frustrating. The hit detection on enemies while aiming down the sites is terrible. Very often, buy aim site will be right on the enemy, but the shot doesn't hit. Frankly, a game like Saints Row has more depth and a better story, which is kind of sad. At least in that game, the story progresses logically toward my end goal. I only gave it a 3 because I liked the in game music, and being able to create a neat character of my own. Will be selling/trading In right away before the price goes down. Expand
  15. Nov 10, 2015
    Thank you, Bethesda, for providing us the clearest picture yet of the "professional critic" landscape. Between the obvious lack of heart involved in this cash-grab glorified Fallout 3 DLC, the use of a tired, buggy engine and the "streamlined" dialog one realizes that 90% of these review web-sites or magazines are clearly in Bethesda's pocket.
    We consumers need to do each other a favor,
    We consumers need to do each other a favor, and stop visiting web sites that continue to rain 8's 9's and 10's on every high-profile, large studio release.
  16. Nov 12, 2015
    I pre-ordered this ... what a mistake.

I find it difficult to believe, with the new generation consoles, that i have to put up with clunky graphics. I reload Witcher 3 and then go back to Fall out 4 and wonder if the people at Bethesda are watching their competition. Why doesnt my hair move ... The narrative gets lost. I am supposed to be searching for my baby but why don't i
    I pre-ordered this ... what a mistake.

Why doesnt my hair move ...

The narrative gets lost. I am supposed to be searching for my baby but why don't i care?

Why do i look like someone put varnish on my face ...

The UI is hard to handle with no improvements to inventory and the map. Frame rates, when there are too many people on the screen, are intolerable. I have even encountered areas free of NPCs, that i have frame rate issues ... seriously disappointing.

Immortal NPCs ..... nuff said. They should have given the dog a cape and painted a huge "S" on it. One of the things that was set as a feature was all of the voice acting but it doesnt help me engage with the characters. When i played Witcher 3 i felt i was part of the story and it didnt matter minor the quest was. The dialogue and how the dialogue was introduced by my character made me feel as though i was a part of the story and that i was important. Fallout in contrast is quite the opposite in that i just dont care and i am having difficulty connecting to the story.

Best thing about this game is that its new and i can sell it to someone at work, probably at a loss. Bethesda, i am going back to replay Witcher 3 +mode.
  17. Nov 12, 2015
    Atrocious settlement mechanic, **** dialogue wheel reducing every conversation to yes/no/sarcastic, zero nuance to quests or factions, hamboggled crafting system, lack of memorable characters rendering most of the npcs as props instead of people, and a forced role to play really make it hard to appreciate the fun aspects of this game.

"streamlining" really soiled the game for me.

"streamlining" really soiled the game for me.

disappointment/10
  18. Nov 14, 2015
    One of the few games i've every bothered to pre-order without waiting for reviews and boy did i make a mistake. I don't understand all the critic reviews they have to of been playing a completely different game, have been paid-off or are too scared to lose access to future early access with developers.
  19. Nov 16, 2015
    I am sure that Bethesda worked some long and crazy hours for this... Haha, just kidding. So I loved New Vegas, and Put the time in to beat Fallout 3. As games progress, you should see definite improvements in graphics, gameplay, and pacing. This game falls so short. This game is UGLY!!! Character animations are off (and sometimes Laughable), gunplay is just as lagging, and my god, thisI am sure that Bethesda worked some long and crazy hours for this... Haha, just kidding. So I loved New Vegas, and Put the time in to beat Fallout 3. As games progress, you should see definite improvements in graphics, gameplay, and pacing. This game falls so short. This game is UGLY!!! Character animations are off (and sometimes Laughable), gunplay is just as lagging, and my god, this crafting/upgrading takes so much away from the fallout experience it is stupid. This game is not a next Gen Game, and is riddled with so many annoying bugs. Really Terrible game. Expand
  20. Nov 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall I am somewhat disappointed in this game. There are many glaringly blatant issues that prevent it from being what they claim it is. First off the new conversation system is dumb. In every conversation you are given the same 4 options, yes, no, I dont know, or f--- you. Thats not choosing my destiny thats the same 4 cruddy choices over and over again. This really is a problem in the main story because no matter what you choose the game wont pick what side you are on until a big pop up box opens up and says "if you go here you will be against so and so" so the dialogue you chose has no importance whatsoever on the game outcome. Furthermore the story is BAD. It copies many elements directly from the old games. They jammed in liberty prime randomly to make a connection to fallout 3. The also randomly jammed in Dr Madison Li from fallout 3 and your character randomly starts asking about her and the brother hood oh steel guy knows your interested in her for some reason when you should not know her at all. Another problem with the story is the main saying "war never changes". After hearing it 50 times it gets really old. You cant start every game with it and end every game with it. It doesn't fit. At the end of the game there is no war so its randomly jammed in. In general the story and characters have no depth. As other people say the FPS dips under 30 at many points and the graphics are about the fallout 3-new vegas level. Also as many people have said there are MANY game breaking bugs. Some of them break the main story. One example is if your sided with the brotherhood and kill your son and all the people in the institute. Then not only is the institute still alive even if you kill all the people, but then when you teleport back the quest line picks up with the minutemen for no reason. Also there are even spelling issues in the dialogue, randomly floating objects, the fact you cant speak to 95% of people in the game like you used to be able to(they just say a generic statement and walk away). The fact that I have beaten the main campaign and there is only 1 real town compared to NV and FO3 that had plenty of settlements. The fact there is really only 1 radio station with a announcer that sucks. The fact that there are only like 10 radio songs and like 7 of them are from the old games. The fact the companions are awful and always get in the way(especially the dog in the beginning). The fact that you get power armor from day 1 and its not treated as a normal item so you always have to get in and out of power armor to do anything. This game overall feels rushed, lacking, and not improved upon. The new VATS system is pure junk. Third person is bad in normal use, but since the new weapon sighs are so bad I find myself switching to third person in combat just to get the dot in the center of the screen to aim at so I can see what I am shooting(never used to be a problem). They directly took the fallout 3 give the people water scenario and turned it into give us power instead. 90% of the story is very predictable, and there are many important topics that never get addressed again. For one thing everyone complains how the institute takes people, kills people, and replaces them with synths. Then you get into the institute and they are peaceful and it is never mentioned again. The three main factions that duke it out (brotherhood railroad and institute) all have very short cited goals that are BAD. You either pick to go with the railroad who wants to kill the brotherhood of steel and the institute because they want to save ALL synths above peoples live (STUPID), the brotherhood of steel who wants to kill ALL synths an they want to kill the railroad and institute just because they dont trust anyone (STUPID), or the institute who want to kill the others just because they could be threatened (STUPID). Another problem is how the SPECIAL system is different and they dont tell you it changed before they make you stick with it. I put all my points into intelligence thinking I was going to be able to raise my skills fast like in the old games. Big mistake. Furthermore the new settlement crafting system is pure JUNK also. Its like minecraft randomly jammed into fallout. It doesn't fit and the game engine doesn't seem designed for it. The main story easily breaks because of it. In one part of the main story when you have to construct the teleporter using the crafting system if you dont have everything lined up right you cant continue the story. Plus the game literally has to make you build all the stuff on the same electrical grid in a weird way BECAUSE BETHESDA DIDN'T FIX THE BUGS. They literally have a charactuer that says "build all the stuff on the same power grid becuase we didn't know how to code this part into the game right" well thats pretty much what they said :P . Overall dissapointing but it still did offer many hours of fun. I hope bethesda gives me my moneys worth from the season pass. bug fix to come? Expand
  21. Nov 13, 2015
    I was really looking forward to this game but its tedious, repetative and the quests feels like an mmo. After all these hours, I can't tell if this game is a SICK joke played on everyone who waited.
  22. Nov 11, 2015
    Average at its best to be honest. The game looks a bit dated and a bit boring but overall, again, pretty average. I had high expectations from fallout 4 considering all that pre-release hype it had.
  23. Nov 10, 2015
    Overall: sub-par.

Overall: sub-par.

The game is basically worthless as a RPG or a Fallout game, so if that's what you are after, this is not for you. Play something like Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity or replay F1/F2 instead. But even as a action shooter, the game is not actually good. Mediocre is the word that keeps popping into my head as I walk around the wasteland and shoot stuff while listening to 50s music.

It's a generally clunky game, while the AI of both enemies and companions is a joke. "Hey we got some cover right there, but let's not use it and instead run straight at the enemy that just has mowed down my four buddies!" The story is weak, the characters one-dimensional and the dialogues are down right cringeworthy. And the whole conversation wheel is just dumb. The graphics are improved from previous Bethesda titles, but is still several years behind even when you take into the account the large environments. Witcher 3 has vastly superior graphics, for instance.

The gun play is better than FO 3, but still clunky and uninspiring and still not on the level of your average first/third person shooter. The whole construction bit just feels pasted on and not really part of the game. The fact that all the game-play mechanics that New Vegas added and improved over FO3 have been removed, is just stupid. No one forced you to play hardcore mode in FNV, but the option was there for those who wished it.

The world is basically the game's strongest aspect, and it ranges from somewhat interesting to dull. Many locations are nothing but enemy spawn-points with loot. Sometimes there is some sort of story or background attached to a location, but often it just feels like a waste of time to explore them. I like many of the power armor mechanics in the game, but Bethesda made the armor itself so easy to get and so prevalent in the world, that it didn't feel like anything special in the end.

So all in all, I'm not at all impressed. I regret my purchase.
  24. Nov 11, 2015
    Бездарный кусок дерьма, как и почти всё, что когда-либо делала беседка. Только конченые дегенераты могут тратить деньги на такое, хуже них, только те, кто сделали этот высенр. Такое ощущение, что бедхесда хотела насрать нам в рот, да ещё и срубить бабла на этом. Бездушный, блевотный кал.Бездарный кусок дерьма, как и почти всё, что когда-либо делала беседка. Только конченые дегенераты могут тратить деньги на такое, хуже них, только те, кто сделали этот высенр. Такое ощущение, что бедхесда хотела насрать нам в рот, да ещё и срубить бабла на этом. Бездушный, блевотный кал.
  25. Nov 11, 2015
    I can't believe the rave reviews this game is receiving. There are almost NO improvements from the last game in the series! Even after all these years of development, this game still looks, feels, and plays like a last gen title! And to make matters worse, it is loaded with all the crippling bugs and glitches that Bethesda is infamous for. Do yourself a favor and wait until this gameI can't believe the rave reviews this game is receiving. There are almost NO improvements from the last game in the series! Even after all these years of development, this game still looks, feels, and plays like a last gen title! And to make matters worse, it is loaded with all the crippling bugs and glitches that Bethesda is infamous for. Do yourself a favor and wait until this game is half off on steam. Expand
  26. Nov 11, 2015
    The game is horrible compared to Fallout 3, almost all the fun features have been removed or dumbed down.
    All there is a left is a boring, empty world with nothing meaningful to do. Not to mention all the technical glitches and slow downs that make the game nigh unplayable themselves.
  27. Nov 11, 2015
    Shockingly bad game. Bad Textures. Poor game mechanics. Horribly annoying interface. How can this game get such positive reviews?!?! Ill never trust another IGN review again. User reviews only - at least they seem to have less bias.
    Bethesda you ought to be ashamed!
  28. Nov 14, 2015
    Well, this game is nice... You can vary your guns, collect, recycle, built, defend your camps, attack to take place and start new settlements, a lot of stuff.

It lacks only one thing - Fallout. You will not feel the misery of a lonely wanderer on the radiated dessert, You will not enjoy complex world, solve puzzles and dive into post nuclear abyss, because there is no abyss at all.

It lacks only one thing - Fallout.
    Plastic dialogs, poor voice acting and system of interaction with other characters repels me from digging in. And the plot so weak that i think if maybe developers instead of wasting 15-30 on creating storyline give us more furniture to make our base even more comfy I would give this game better score.
    Character seems not thrilled about loss of his wife, child and sleeping 200 years in ice cube, so how can I be? How come this game is called Fallout?
    If You can, borrow this game, play with a friend, but dont be a fanboy and spend your money blind.
  29. Nov 10, 2015
    I played 10 hours of the game and kept an open mind but I can say that after reading what the reviewers have to say along with my experience of this game, nobody has pointed out the real problem of why this game just doesn't cut it. Being a Philosophy major, I'll help people understand the problems here. Fallout 4 is not a good game because it was created not with the content or art of theI played 10 hours of the game and kept an open mind but I can say that after reading what the reviewers have to say along with my experience of this game, nobody has pointed out the real problem of why this game just doesn't cut it. Being a Philosophy major, I'll help people understand the problems here. Fallout 4 is not a good game because it was created not with the content or art of the game in mind but the money. There is evidence to show, and in fact business/accounting majors are taught this phenomenon that happens globally, that when money becomes a reward for doing an action, intellectual involvement decreases as well as detail oriented work and consideration decreases. This corresponds to the game in that this was an anticipated blockbuster hit. Because the money came first probably since the marketing team oversees many projects within a company, the game lost what would have made it a "True" fallout game like that of New Vegas and 3. Intuitively, this is easy to see from the marketer's perspective, "Do I pay this story writer three times more than I do now for a good story in this game and get payed less or do I just make sure the bells and whistles work long enough to make more money and cut out a story?" Simple answer, the marketer is taught how to make money. Don't expect a mathematician to work with artists about how to make art theory more rigorous. Don't expect a theologian to try to give arguments against the existence of God. Don't expect the marketer to worry about the aesthetic value of Fallout 4 in dealing with choice, determinism, literature, story, and experience. He worries about cash. Extend this to other games. Call of Duty franchise after CoD4, League of Legends with not well thought-out champions, World of Warcraft after Wrath of Lich King with bland armor designs, dumbed down lore, etc... Bethesda will learn that people didn't come to see cheap county art fair drawings. We came to see the next piece of art that guides the gaming community and creators. Money is easily forgotten, but destruction of reputation is a deep scar. Let this be a lesson for any company that thinks a marketer can do better than a chef, musician, programmer, engineer, scientist, painter, mathematician, or a philosopher. Leave those arts to their masters, not a person looking to make a profit off of it.

Sincerely,
    A gamer.
  30. Nov 13, 2015
    First time i have been so disappointed with a game that I created an account to leave this review and vent my outrage in this rehashed turd of a game. Just to echo all the other negative comments in here.. if you are a Fallout fan, save yourself time and money and replay any of the other games in the series again. Lousy dialogue, hopeless control over aiming and shooting, VATS is aFirst time i have been so disappointed with a game that I created an account to leave this review and vent my outrage in this rehashed turd of a game. Just to echo all the other negative comments in here.. if you are a Fallout fan, save yourself time and money and replay any of the other games in the series again. Lousy dialogue, hopeless control over aiming and shooting, VATS is a complete joke (no change there), lumpy movement, doesn't feel fluid at all, very little in the way of a RPG, Fallout 4 has to be the biggest dropped bollock of 2015. While I loved Fallout NV, this is a step backwards and feels like it... everything feels dated and dumbed down.. very very poor.
    I would also like to call out all these so called "professional" critics and reviewers who bigged up this piece of **** - you should be ashamed to be in the industry
  31. Nov 10, 2015
    It is disappointing to see how people who know nothing about the depth and complexity of fallout are not only okay with, but also ask for the simplification, or 'skyrimification' of the franchise. The removal of karma and skills, the latter being a fundamental part of the special system, are unacceptable. As if the invincible characters and terrible writing hadn't dealt a bad enough blow.It is disappointing to see how people who know nothing about the depth and complexity of fallout are not only okay with, but also ask for the simplification, or 'skyrimification' of the franchise. The removal of karma and skills, the latter being a fundamental part of the special system, are unacceptable. As if the invincible characters and terrible writing hadn't dealt a bad enough blow. At this point, fallout fans who primarily enjoy the classics will have to wait for obsidian to make a game with substance (If Bethesda lets them). Expand
  32. Nov 17, 2015
    UI is just so horrible that it ruins the whole game. I'm trying to like this game because it's Fallout but I just don't. World looks nice but when you wander around it's so empty and boring. Maybe this would become more interesting if I put more hours into it but I have no interest of doing that. I don't know if this game tries to be shooter or RPG but it doesn't feel either. I'm just soUI is just so horrible that it ruins the whole game. I'm trying to like this game because it's Fallout but I just don't. World looks nice but when you wander around it's so empty and boring. Maybe this would become more interesting if I put more hours into it but I have no interest of doing that. I don't know if this game tries to be shooter or RPG but it doesn't feel either. I'm just so disappointed right now. It's also buggy as hell. Expand
  33. Nov 13, 2015
    It not Fallout. The system of dialogues is completely killed. The system of development of the character is completely killed. The translation is made disgustingly. Bugs, bugs, bugs - they everywhere. The role system simply is absent.
    Generally, instead of RPG we received almost stupid shooter. This game - one big disappointment.
  34. Nov 16, 2015
    Skip it for now if you prefer southpaw thumb-sticks in your first person games..

Too many game companies don't overlook simple things like the option to switch the thumb-sticks. Morrowind, Skyrim, Fallout 3 (one of my favorite games ever) all had that option. For it to be an oversight in this day and age from such a well known company borders on incompetence. Switching the thumb-sticks just feels more natural to me in all FPS games.. and I wanted to play this one from the first person perspective and not 3rd person.

Oh well, plenty of games to play made by companies that don't overlook simple things that should be in every game.

Perhaps they'll patch it, I'll hold onto it for awhile in case they do.. I'll give it a few weeks before I sell my copy USED AND CHEAP.
  35. Nov 10, 2015

Now for a more in

Now for a more in depth look at this game. First of im going to list what was improved upon, because though the game is bad i feel like for this to be a fair review these FEW things have to be acknowledge.

1. The gun play is the improvement every Fallout player was hoping for. Its still not a perfect system, but its leaps and bounds from the last iterations of the franchise.

2. The character creation is pretty fantastic, though the graphics dont allow this to shine as much as a graphically more impressive game would.

3. The settlement feature is fun and adds quite a bit whilst being completely optional.

4. Voice acting is much improved in terms of voice variations. Some of it still sounds poorly read.

5. Animations all round are better (but again, not perfect or anywhere near) which leads to more interesting fights, different enemies have much more varied attacks than before.

Those are what i believe to be the improvements. Now the important stuff. What did Bethesda do to absolutely ruin this game. Here goes:

1. Dialog wheel, dialog wheel, dialog wheel. When. Will. RPG Devs. Learn. I dont understand how this idea got past in a meeting. There have been numerous RPG's which have implemented this along with voice acting from a more traditional system and precisely ZERO have gotten better because of it. Did no one learn from the travesty which is now the Dragon age series? It limits what you are able to say/ask. You get limited information on what you're going to say which can lead to ridiculous encounters where you're blurting out stuff that is completely different to what you thought. And to implement it into a game the WHOLE dialog system has to be dumbed down, no skill related conversation options - what replaced it is pitiful and not fit for purpose.

2. The environment is very boring from my experience. The major city in this game is ludicrously small and the map is not much better. There are a lot of side quests and encounters but im talking just the general environment, it all looks very similar and dull to the eye. Boston is the weakest setting so far.

3. You dont appear to have much of an impact on the world, much like Skyrim. This is no Witcher 3 ladies and gents, Bethesda got this completely wrong and makes major decisions seem trivial.

4. A very black or white morality with no reputation system or karma. IMO a step backwards for the series as it could have been improved upon from that last games and been made into a really enjoyable and in depth mechanic. Bethesda decided to scrap it instead.

5. The perks...lord, the perks are terrible. Not that what they offer is bad, or even that there isnt variety. Just that without a skill system it all seems rather empty and shallow. Again, instead of improving upon a mechanic that people liked that just scrapped it to make it simpler.

6. Your companions are just as dumb as the were before if not more this time. I swear dog meat spends more time in front of me in doorways than he does following. Again, you cant switch them from ranged to melee anymore, you can change how they fight. Another mechanic which could of been improved upon and made brilliant but instead was scrapped for a simpler less satisfying and frankly annoying system.

7. The story has MAJOR pacing issues. Its all over the place, gets good after a few hours in but Bethesda needs to hire some better writers because it doesnt hold up with other game of the same genre. Not even close.

8. New legendary monsters. This one might be just me because what they've chosen to do is a creative choice rather than just a bad decision. But basically its like borderlands. You get random really strong monsters on side quests or when you're exploring and they drop better loot. But calling them legendary really waters down the experience of fighting them. After fighting 'legendary' mongrels that are less than two feet tall and somehow take twenty bullets on normal difficulty the system just seems really stupid and arcadey. It doesnt suit fallout at all. I hope to god they take it out i feel like im playing some god awful MMO. In other Fallouts named raiders etc would be exciting, because they're characters, and they might have a story behind them. But now they just fade into the abyss of endless slain legendary enemies who sponge bullets. It waters it down.

The whole game just feels watered down. For every step forward they took two steps backward. Fallout 4 is an average game whilst being a TERRIBLE RPG and an even worse sequel. I hope these reviews get noticed by someone in Bethesda.
  36. Nov 11, 2015
    The problem of Fallout 4 and MGSV is very similar that they both overly emphasis on leveling, collecting and mission part in contrast to GTAV and Witcher 3 that are more focusing on the own story of independent protagonist.

In Fallout4 and MGSV, what I feel about protagonists is more like a worker ordered to finish bunch of repetitive missions. The protagonists are lack of self motivation and purpose of living, and thus not able to build/push their own story ahead but to be an object/interface that you use to access the virtual world. In other words, they are inferior, relentless and neglectable, and I feel their story are mostly stiffly padded by narrates rather than developed during the progression of the their own doing.

In GTAV and Witcher3, dev put more work on depicting the mental development as the result of the surrounding events, and the story is actually progressed by the ambition and action of protagonist self. You can annotate this as that they are more susceptible/sensitive to the surrounding and have strong desire to achieve something mentally and independently. These makes a much more vivd and motivated feeling of a real human you are playing and experiencing a true life from him who want to do some amazing things to make himself unique, rather than a robot thrown into a open world to serve as a slaver.

Nowadays, the in-game world is exaggerated to a distorted proportion to characterization. In the extreme form, we know its called sandbox which some devs think is the future, but no! Not only the current and near future tech is far from enough to make player self to create a memorable and wholesome character in game, also it will be a tragedy if that becomes true. We don't want an object to control but a human with story to experience.

After all, Fallout 4 failed to create a protagonist who should act as an independent, self-motivated and susceptible real HUMAN and an engaging story struggled by the protagonist's own ass out. Next time, please focus on characters rather than just that open world.
  37. Nov 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, it must be said that this game is nowhere near complete on PS4. The graphics/textures are awful and the framerate frequently dips; it's crashed several times with generic error codes; and there are numerous gameplay issues:

1.) There's no indication of mission difficulty ANYWHERE in the PipBoy. I just stumbled upon the Mirelurk Queen at level 13 and I can't do anything but barely scratch her with my pea shooters. Where are the indicators for mission difficulty? And I wasn't able to talk to Preston without doing this mission, so if he dies because I flee, both of my other missions that depend on him will most likely fail. I was able to talk to him, but he kept saying "we must focus on clearing this castle." Like he can't talk to me about other business while we clear the castle? COME ON!

2.) The Ghouls can lunge literally 20-30 feet, and you can't strategically engage combat on any scuttling creature. Humanoid foes can hit you with their spraying bullets from behind cover. I have screenshots of enemies behind pipes and walls with bullets still hitting me. If you sprint, you lose your AP; every battle ends up being a straight line backward shuffle trying to keep away from enemies that can do half of your health in damage by lunging and smacking you from 20 feet away. And your dog or whomever you have with you as a companion? Yeah, HAHA, good luck! Most often my dog is down within seconds, or just standing there doing nothing as the hoards advance on me. Pointless, stupid, and awful AI.

3.) The building system is completely stupid, boring, and lacks motivation. Some missions force you to do some of it, and for scavenging and breaking down components it's a necessary addition, but ultimately it's stupid.

4.) AP drains way too quickly unless you waste precious SPECIAL points trying to build it up at lower levels. Everything drains AP, too, including sprinting? What the...? Melee...AP drain; spring...AP drain; which leaves almost none for VATS.

5.) The idiot dog keeps standing in doorways and blocks your way in and out of combat. And when you have to trade with the meat sack to load your gear onto him, he runs off and you can't target him to get the command list!!! And speaking of the dog carrying loot, it's equally stupid and unnecessary...why not just let my character carry all of it himself??!!!??!

6.) Everything upgrade on EVERY gun or armor requires freaking adhesive, which is in such rare supply that you MAYBE can do one or two upgrades for every 7 hours of picking up worthless gear that you have absolutely zero knowledge of how it pieces together, how it will work, or anything. There aren't any guides or anything in the game to steer you along the proper path. If you're not at a workbench, good luck figuring out which components are required to upgrade your stupid gun.

7.) The worst offense: it's NO different than Fallout 3. Absolutely zero difference, and with the graphics and crashing problems, it's actually worse. This game has been hyped and hyped, as usual, to make a cash grab of gamers, but Bethesda should be ashamed and embarrassed to release a product this incomplete and buggy, not to mention frustrating. I realize they cater to the PC gamers and they'll fix all the problems for Bethesda, but we console owners demand better since we can't fix these problems on our machines. This game is going back and being uninstalled until such time as this garbage is fixed. I'm highly upset at spending this kind of money on a game this poor quality. And nice job with the embargo on the reviews until the day of to make sure no one else knew of this garbage in advance. Must be nice to buy space on Conan and hype up a game this embarrassingly poor. I'm sorry that I'm speaking like this, but I think it's a downright scam that companies are taking advantage of gamers over and over again. It shows you have zero respect for the people lining your pockets. Over and over again, companies aren't giving us next gen anything, it's bug-ridden, latency-ridden, framerate-stuttering, day one nonsense. Destiny and now this, this generation of gaming has nothing of its former self, just the same - or worse - garbage from the last gen with maybe a few graphical sparkles thrown in for good measure. How is this "next gen?"
  38. Nov 10, 2015
    I was going to give this game a 4 but with all the 10s out there that are from ether fanboys or paid reviews I will even it out with a 0
    I do not understand how ppl can give this a 10 tbh. The first 15min of gameplay I realize that you run, walk and sprint 20%ish faster in first person than I 3rd person. The 3rd person system is really bad and feels like most of the time it's pointless to use because you will miss a lot of loot! Then we have that AWEFULL buildsystem for the towns.. They must have tried it out right? because no normal dev would bring something that bad in to a game.
    The RP is really bad and Story is not good at all either! The game feels so unfinished with all bugs that pops ups! And this must be the first game in years if played that doesn't use a Checkpoint system, instead it autosaves every 10min.
    Overall its not a good game and you should not listen to the 10+ votes. go read the 4 - 7 reviews if you want the honest opinion of this game.
  39. Nov 11, 2015
    Firstly, there's loads of bugs/instability, and none of it's "charming" for a so-called 'AAA', $60 game that's been in development for over 4 years. Also the "solid 30 FPS" promise is not true; in many instances it clearly dips to the lower twenties or so. As for the game itself, there are a few improvements such as graphics (kind of.... they're still a bit dated), basic gunplay andFirstly, there's loads of bugs/instability, and none of it's "charming" for a so-called 'AAA', $60 game that's been in development for over 4 years. Also the "solid 30 FPS" promise is not true; in many instances it clearly dips to the lower twenties or so. As for the game itself, there are a few improvements such as graphics (kind of.... they're still a bit dated), basic gunplay and crafting/building. But I focus on story, quest design and RPG mechanics, and all of that is a pale shadow of what FNV especially did well. I thought Bethesda would learn from Obsidian (FNV), but they actually dumbed down even more than FO3. Wow. Honestly, I should have waited a few years and picked this up from the bargain bin. It's another nail in the coffin for me never pre-ordering/day-one buying again.. Expand
  40. Nov 12, 2015
    Biggest disappointment of the year. This game is just awful. Graphics look like from 2005 and FPS is so weak that you get headache if you play on sizeable tv. Story and other characters are boring. The world also feels very empty and there isn't that atmosphere fallouts used to have.
  41. Nov 12, 2015
    After playing 10 hours,i found that It can be named as The Elder Scrolls:Fallout 4 .....I can't see any improvement in this game after comparing this series of games.
  42. Nov 16, 2015
    Rubbish... can't believe the high ratings ...pure crap Bethesda ..shame on you ,I waited years for this, now it leaves a bad taste in my mouth definitely not in the running for GOTY ..over hyped technical mess, story is ****, never again Bethesda you suck
  43. Nov 12, 2015
    Quite disappointing game. Pre-ordered the game well before launch and was waiting for release date.
    The graphics is okay in best case but rather ugly. In some scenes ever lagging.

The quests are boring and dialogs are rather stupid. Mostly Yes, No.
    SPECIAL skill tree is pretty worthless.

Will finish the story mode quickly and resell the game while still worth anything.
  44. Nov 11, 2015
    No longer an rpg the game would deserve more but considering that this comes after the amazing new vegas it is sad that they take so much of the rpg elements and dumbed down the conversational elements of the first two fallouts.
    Soon it will hapen like in mass effect that every game had even less choices because it was a pain in the ass for the developeners to voice everything
  45. Nov 10, 2015
    dumbed down rpg mechanics, horrible voice acting, atrocious graphics, a story that seems like it was written by a grade-schooler, and that fps. wait for the GOTY version, at least then you'll get the full story with less bugs.
  46. Nov 11, 2015
    This is my first review on Metacritic, I felt compelled to set up an account purely to warn people about this game. Im a long time fan of the Fallout series and I keep an open mind to most games that come out, but this instalment had me gutted after 14 - 15 hours of playing(PS4), I just was'nt bothered going any further with either the story(yawn...) or the exploring of the landscape. IThis is my first review on Metacritic, I felt compelled to set up an account purely to warn people about this game. Im a long time fan of the Fallout series and I keep an open mind to most games that come out, but this instalment had me gutted after 14 - 15 hours of playing(PS4), I just was'nt bothered going any further with either the story(yawn...) or the exploring of the landscape. I was expecting Bethesda to release a wonderful game, I had never been so excited for a game release and I had been picturing how amazing it would be for a long time(Just like most of you im sure).

I give this game a 1 which is a true reflection of the garbage that is Fallout 4, I am disgusted to be honest that it actually made it to the shelves in the state it's in and feel like an idiot for buying it outright thinking it would be the best game ever made. This is the last time I buy a game from Bethesda, also the last time I pre-order a game, I have finally learned from my mistakes in recent years. Ok so ill try keep it brief:

- Graphics are a joke, they look similar to games I played on 360 and PS3. I dunno about you guys but I was expecting much much better than this. Some of the textures are laughable and borderline offensive by today's standards. The NPC's and most of the characters are also lifeless in appearance and the guns dont look great either despite the hype about crafting/customising, they all look like scrap metal in the end. This game looks like it was made back in 2008 or 2009, so outdated in appearance.

- Gameplay is pretty annoying and sluggish, I grew so frustrated with the shooting it just feels strange. I dont think I enjoyed a single exchange in the whole game, the fights were so boring and there are huge fps issues when the larger gun fights break out. Dont even get me started on perks and the protagonist, no matter what you choose/say it all feels and sounds the same there is a glaring lack of effort put into this part of the game. That stupid dog annoyed me greatly as well and the new V.A.T.S was also meh...

- Performance is really poor, as I mentioned above fps issues a plenty and I encountered enough bugs to piss me off enough to give up on Fallout 4. Some of the bugs had me incensed, where you will be forced to reload an earlier save which can mean you need to repeat various tasks/missions all over again. Such a mess I recommend manually saving if you somehow like this game and want to play it further

Its a broken game, its lacking creativity on all fronts and the AI will drive you insane at times. The entire game is lazy and poorly made, its not functioning properly on all platforms from what ive read and in my eyes it is a colossal failure. All the mods in the world wont fix this sorry excuse of a game, save your time and money if you haven't already made the same mistake I did.

There are multiple PS4 titles out there which are far more deserving such as Dying Light, Bloodborne, Borderlands, Uncharted Collection and Last of Us to name a few, all of which I found very enjoyable but hey that's just me we all have our preferences. I cant really put into words how I feel about Fallout 4, its not what I thought it would be but I didn't expect it to be this bad. Literally no positives to mention, except the bobble-head figure I got for picking it up at midnight which looks cool.

Yours sincerely,

A heartbroken gamer :(
    I
  47. Nov 11, 2015
    One of the biggest disappointments in gaming I've seen in a while. There are so many simple mechanics that were senselessly sabotaged for the sake of streamlining the experience, and ironically, the game fails to do so most of the time. When the game does manage to streamline the experience, it ends up dumbing the mechanics down to the point where they aren't fun anymore.

First; the

First; the good. The gun-play is improved from previous games. The enemies are very fast and aggressive and the guns don't have perfect accuracy, which is a great incentive to use VATS despite the weapon handling being vastly improved. The character creator is also fantastic. You have a solid amount of control and sculpting the face rather than using sliders was very inspired and makes creating a character a blast, although, I feel like it's hard to make any face that deviates too much from the default model you have; despite this, it's still a great addition to the game. The settlement building gives purpose to picking up junk, and it can be interesting to see some of the most useless items end up having a legitimate use later on. The way radiation chips down your max health was another great subtle touch, making radiation a legitimate concern unlike Fallout 3.

Now the bad. The opening of the game sets the tone for the rest of the game as far as story-telling goes. It's rushed, it lacks personality, it's generic, shallow, and it fails to establish even the smallest emotional connection to any of the characters or the universe. For whatever reason, we're supposed to care about this ensemble of characters despite knowing nothing about their backstories or personalities. These aren't characters, they're character models spouting out exposition. Once tragedy strikes and your main character gets out of the vault he seems remarkably unaffected by what has happened. When you explain you're over 200 years old, the other characters are also unaffected. The dialogue is simply there to progress the bare bones plot and lacks any personality or character. I couldn't tell you anything about the main cast of characters aside from the fact that they send me on incredibly basic "clear the area" and "pick up the item" quests. I have a massive excess of caps already, and I have nothing to spend them on. The settlement mechanic would be good, but assigning members to certain tasks is beyond un-intuitive and is a complete hassle. Rather than having a list of members in the settlement and a list of things to assign them to you have to walk up to one and walk back to what needs assigning. This would be monotonous if the settlements were small, but they generally aren't, making them beyond monotonous. The first buddy you come across, meatdog, is a stimpack guzzling moron that runs into combat only to immediately get knocked down. The friendly AI is way too aggressive, and they rarely ever follow the limited commands you can give properly. The way charisma works is awful. IT's not intuitive, it makes no sense gameplay wise or logically in the context of the universe, and it is very obviously inferior to what was previously in place. The new dialogue wheel is bad, but it suits the writing well since all of your responses are very generic yes or no replies or cringe worthy jokes/sarcasm. Rather than having your character be a blank slate for you to *role play* as, you play a set character, and he/she couldn't be more boring if he/she tried. So much emphasis was put on humanizing your character, with fully acted dialogue and an attempted personal story, only to provide one of the most boring/shallow experiences I've had in a long time. To say this voice acting wasn't utilized well would be an understatement. If anything, there's more of a reason for the dialogue to just be text in this game considering how boring all of your responses are. As for the technical side, this game is loaded to the brim with bugs which is absolutely unacceptable. Warping around rooms for no reason, grenade indicators pointing the opposite way, enemies shooting into the sky after being hit, bad AI, bad graphics, you name some sort of technical issue and this game has it; It's a buggy mess. It seems animations are missing as well, such as an animation for holstering your gun.

I don't like throwing this word around, but I honestly think Fallout 4 is simply unfinished. There are mechanics that make no sense, it's way too dumbed down, and there's no way any QA department approved of the game in this current state; the graphics are bad, the animations are stiff, the gameplay is boring, the writing is mediocre at best, and the world is not interesting. Fallout 4 is the most disappointing game I've played in a very long time, but at least Bethesda made it very clear to me very quickly that i shouldn't buy their games anymore; rather than giving this game any redeeming value and making me stick around for the next one, I know to just give up now before wasting any more of my time or money.
  48. Nov 12, 2015
    casual shooter with smallest rpg notes and sims simulator. quite disappointing speech interface. fps races.

why is it called rpg? why it took name of fallout?
  49. Nov 13, 2015
    I dont get this this at all, seven years in the making and this is what they give us.
    Do Bethesda take us for idiots that follows in the blind?
    Was the philosophy at the studio, Hey guys make the product as cheap as possible so we make the biggest profit. Everything is dumbed down and simplified from the smallest thing like the hud to the big things like voice acting. This is Fallout 3
    Do Bethesda take us for idiots that follows in the blind?
    This is Fallout 3 but with new hardwood floors and a new paint job to make it look fresh.

I saw this evolution with the Dragon Age series but never thought it would happen to the Fallout series, its like they have sold their souls in the name of making profit.
    They dont care about the games anymore when they know we will buy anything they drop, why should they care?
  50. Nov 12, 2015
    What the hell is this even??? After travesty that Fallout 3 was I wasn't expecting anything good at all, but then Obsidian's New Vegas came out and even though it used the same clunky formula Todd "Self titled GOD" Howard used for his awful game, it was surprisingly good.
    What about Fallout 4?
    What about Fallout 4?
    It's even worse. Although it made some fine improvements over the basic gameplay mechanics and doesn't play like an indie tech demo any more it went the entirely wrong direction.
    Now It's basicaly shooter with crafting. Story is typical Bethesda's **** Dialogue system is a disaster and makes RPG'ing impossible. Autistic leveling system that removed all the skills from SPECIAL system. Game feels extremely "safe" in it's design. it brings no emitions, has no depth, it's not the dark fallout world we loved and appriciated years ago.
  51. Nov 11, 2015
    Outdated graphics.
    Many bugs and glitches.
    Still the same clunky broken gameplay.
    Horrible lipsync. Many typos in the subtitles.
    Slow, boring begginning.
    Very low fps in general on ps4, extremely low in buildings.

So much hype for nothing.
  52. Nov 11, 2015
    This really feels like an unfinished game. I know all Bethesda games are kinda like that, but the part that worries me is that I bought this for PS4, so I'm going to have trouble modding it to fix Bethesda's mistakes.
  53. Nov 11, 2015
    Its not Fallout, and its not RPG ! Biggest disappointment this year . Seriously Bethesda? It took 7 years for you to make this piece of **** !! Gameplay is bad, Plot is very bad, Dialogue choices are very few, and the worst part Graphics! Its not New-Gen Graphic and not even close! more like 2007 or 2008.
    I spent 60$ on this game and i regret it!
    oh and one last thing, i seriously want
    I spent 60$ on this game and i regret it!
    oh and one last thing, i seriously want to know how much Bethesda paid to this so called pro reviewers for this ratings! 87!!! Are you f***ing kidding me?!
  54. Nov 14, 2015
    DON'T BUY THIS GAME! Not good. I feel like I'm playing an overpriced DLC for Fallout 3. Move along. There's nothing at all new here - very little about this game that feels new or better than the previous. The graphics might have looked amazing on my PS3 five years ago but on my PS4, they're just ordinary at best. And the bugs... The bugs are so numerous that I almost feel like I'mDON'T BUY THIS GAME! Not good. I feel like I'm playing an overpriced DLC for Fallout 3. Move along. There's nothing at all new here - very little about this game that feels new or better than the previous. The graphics might have looked amazing on my PS3 five years ago but on my PS4, they're just ordinary at best. And the bugs... The bugs are so numerous that I almost feel like I'm standing on an anthill while playing it. I get it. One should expect bugs for a new release but I can't escape thinking that Bethesda just threw this together and released it now because they want to score a mountain of cash from the holidays. They didn't even try to offer a clean release. A few minor bugs would be tolerable but there are massive bugs in this game that prevent me from progressing in this game, really, really massive hindrances. What's even more infuriating, after having done searches about some of the bugs that are preventing me from progressing are being widely report by players on every platform - PS4, Xbox, PC - and yet Bethesda has said nothing to anyone about preparing a fix. We're getting crickets. I really feel cheated having thrown down $60 for this POS. This just may be the last time I throw any money Bethesda's way. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice... There are too many other deserving game developers who will be getting my cash in stead. Expand
  55. Nov 10, 2015
    Quite disappointing. Don't believe the positive "professional" reviewers. This game, again, showed what a bunch of paid-off hacks they are.

A lot of the things that made the previous Fallouts so fun are just dumbed down or broken in this latest instalment. The dialogue system is just pure garbage. I don't see any point in RPG style charisma play through what-so-ever, which is something I did in all previous Fallouts.

The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is also dumbed down to a point where your choices don't even matter. You can just upgrade your base stats at level-up, so your initial "character" does not affect your play style at all. Not that it would anyway, because I don't see any effect of the stats on the game play apart from being able to carry more ****

The story so far, well, it's the same beginning as in every other Fallout really. However, the story progression and the NPC's you meet are extremely one dimensional and I actually feel like murdering them all rather than having to suffer through the painfully uninspiring dialogues.

I personally do not care for the graphics that much, which seems to be a major gripe for a lot of people, but this game is just not up to par in next gen gaming. What's worse is that it is actually VERY difficult to spot enemies without using VATS due to the "improved" graphics, particularly when compared to New Vegas.

At launch, it is filled with bugs and **** The framerate is at times abysmal. The character gets stuck on invisible obstacles, and so forth. If it wasn't a Fallout game, I would have quite playing after the first 4 hours.

Final word:
    Am I going to finish the game? Abso-fcking-lutely.
    Am I going to replay it? No.
    Is this the GOTY? NO!

(Hopefully there will be patches lined up pretty soon or the broken game play and engine might force me to put this on the shelf until I'm tired of SW:BW)
  56. Nov 12, 2015
    Fallout 4. The sequel to Fallout 3, which could be considered a spin-off of the main series (Being 1, 2 and New Vegas) by the true fans.
    The game has been so extremely over hyped it is now a major crime to talk crap about it. But this is exactly the problem. This happens every time a game gets over hyped by dumb wannabe-fans.
    Everything was dumbed down from past Fallout games, hell,

Everything was dumbed down from past Fallout games, hell, even Fallout 3 (which was pretty dumb) had better RPG elements. If you're a fan of the real Fallout games, you will hate this. If you are a fan of the RPG genre, you will despise this.
    Not only the RPG elements were dumbed down, but a lot of the aspects of difficulty, like the lifespan of your weapons. Bethesda excels in taking the Fallout franchise, where Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 were considered some of the greatest, greatest RPG games ever made, and turn it into a generic shooter.

Then we start with the dumb stuff (no spoilers):
    -Dialog wheel. Who the hell thought this was a good idea? The dialog wheel's only purpose is to kill the immersion with the character and also to dumb down your character's dialog.
    -Voiced main character: Sucks because of the same reasons as dialog wheel. Zero immersion with your character. Imagine a voiced Gordon Freeman.
    -Combat: Even though it is not bad at all to have shooting elements in a Fallout game, Fallout 4 forces those elements in. 20 minutes into the game and you get yourself involved in a scripted shooting mission, then you unlock the power armor, get back in the scripted scene with a scripted Deathclaw.
    -Difficulty: You can change the difficulty at any given time (very stupid for any video game). Also power armor at 20 minutes into the game. Also immortal dogmeat.
    -Writing: It is known by everyone that Bethesda sucks at writing a coherent story and or dialogs.
    -Writing: Remember the multiple story lines, nonlinear main story and freedom of story flow, faction cooperation and all that sweet stuff from Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and New Vegas? Well, all that stuff is gone.
    -More writing: Remember the gray moral system of New Vegas? Well, welcome back again to Fallout 3's black or white moral system.
    -More writing (ending) (no spoilers): Bethesda can't come up with an original story, so they had to rip it off the original Fallout 3 Van Buuren. Only dumbing it down to choosing either A or B. Way to go guys.

Not to mention the frame rate drops and ugly graphics.

The game is just plain bad. Bethesda managed to ruin every single improvement Obsidian made on New Vegas. It's a shame honestly. The real fans can only hope that some day Bethesda green lights Obsidian to make another Fallout game. If that never happens, then we can agree that Fallout is dead.
  57. Nov 17, 2015
    I have played this game for over 20 hours now. It is generally pretty interesting and fun to play, but it offers nothing more than what was offered by Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim. Yes, there was the addition of the build feature, but it's buggy and flawed. The dialogue is an abomination of streamlining, simplifications, and grammatical/spelling errors. To release a game in such poorI have played this game for over 20 hours now. It is generally pretty interesting and fun to play, but it offers nothing more than what was offered by Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim. Yes, there was the addition of the build feature, but it's buggy and flawed. The dialogue is an abomination of streamlining, simplifications, and grammatical/spelling errors. To release a game in such poor condition is inexcusable. It seems like the makers of this game really half-assed it. If I ever have my name attached to a game, I hope to god it isn't as unpolished as Fallout4. I wouldn't recommend this game to my friends and I want to dissuade others from purchasing it. Bethesda doesn't deserve to profit from this game. Expand
  58. Nov 11, 2015
    People need to stop to mention The Witcher 3 here, they are completely different games.

Fallout 4 leaves the story in second plane, a shooter game flooded with craft for the sake of consume stuff, but is not Minecraft, there is no creativity, we have different places for the same things in the end. The Witcher 3 is about the story and his characters, the world is in second plane,

The Witcher 3 is about the story and his characters, the world is in second plane, repetition is an option and not the major part of the show. We have a character well defined and tons of chances to twist his will. But repetition is a second choice, not the main goal.

Critics are everywhere, yes, but Fallout 4 is the same old lackluster open world, but this time the loss in effective results and choices is way worse.
  59. Nov 13, 2015
    I'm a huge fan of Fallout and have played them all, but this is just another crap release,
    as we see in the game industry in general. Assassin's Creed Syndicate is the same, to take one example.
    1) Nothing new, repetitive mission and game play. 2) The story is boring and uninteresting and tedious. 3) the characters are soulless and people you don't really care about (learn from The
    1) Nothing new, repetitive mission and game play.
    2) The story is boring and uninteresting and tedious.
    3) the characters are soulless and people you don't really care about (learn from The Last Of Us)
    I could easily live with the outdated graphics and even the bugs and other issues, if the game had
    some dept.
    I hope the refunding system that steam introduced, will make its way to all stores where you buy
    games - because gamers are seriously being raped these years by Game Companies - exploiting
    our love for games. This has to STOP! And there's only one way to go: Refunding!
  60. Nov 13, 2015
    Major let-down. I've got a somewhat older machine but it ran Skyrim, Crysis 3, Witcher 2, Mass Effect 3 and Arkham City at 1080/high quality without breaking a sweat. Fallout 4 is nearly unplayable at low quality. The menus for crafting are confusing and take up too much time for someone expecting an FPS/RPG hybrid like the last two Fallout releases. I'm three hours in and have noMajor let-down. I've got a somewhat older machine but it ran Skyrim, Crysis 3, Witcher 2, Mass Effect 3 and Arkham City at 1080/high quality without breaking a sweat. Fallout 4 is nearly unplayable at low quality. The menus for crafting are confusing and take up too much time for someone expecting an FPS/RPG hybrid like the last two Fallout releases. I'm three hours in and have no sense of anticipation about going any further.. Expand
  61. Nov 13, 2015
    First a couple things, I'm only like 20 hours in, and I do intend to buy this game for the PC as well, once I've built my new PC.

Alright. This game. This is the game that caused me to make a metacritic account. This is also the game that is making me break my personal rule about ranting on the internet. Lets start with the good shall we? - Fully Voiced Protagonist. I actually like

Lets start with the good shall we?
    - Fully Voiced Protagonist. I actually like this one, it upsets me a little because it limits modders, but for the most part having a fully voiced protagonist is pretty rad. I just wish Ron Perlman had done it all.
    -Walking away from conversations. Bethesda get a gold star for this.
    -Crafting, it serves a purpose, and it has lead me to some pretty entertaining self-made scavenger hunts.
    -Gunplay. It's a lot better than it used to be. Still not quite at the level of other games, but it's fun and continues to be fun. Can't ask for more than that. Weapon sounds do kinda suck though, combat lack impact because of this.
    -VATS. It's fun, it's useful to have, it isn't overpowered. This is a big improvement, I wouldn't change VATS at all, even the critical meter is good, it adds tension, I save it up for bosses, and then build it back up by shooting their minions while dodging said bosses. It's good.
    -Settlement Building. It's fun, i'm going to mention it again on the bad side, but hell, at least it's there, and reasonably good.
    -Companions. They are now actually likeable, even loveable. I swear these looks and personalities came out of a waifu generator. Good job.
    -Pretty graphics. I'm not in the crowd of people that desires ultimate fidelity everything. I like the graphics, they fit well with the world.
    -Power armour. Going to mention this on the bad side too, it feels powerful, the upgrading is awesome.

There are other good things about this game, but I'm getting mindful of the letter limit.

The bad things it is then.
    -No skills. I can't imagine how this decision got made. Agonising over skillpoints and character builds is a Fallout staple. Heck, it's an RPG staple.
    -Perk Variety. There aren't enough of these. The multiple ranks thing is good, the SPECIAL requirements are good. There just need to be more.
    -Upgrading SPECIAL. This is wrong, it stops me from agonising over character builds. SPECIAL upgrades need to be bobblehead, or one time perk only.
    -No level cap. This magnifies all the problems with no skills, perk variety and SPECIAL upgrades. It is impossible to care about character builds when any character can level up to be an everyman, expert at everything. It also hurts replayability, I have so many characters in other Fallout games. With good reason.
    -AI. It's still Bethesda, the AI is still dumb. I was expecting this, and to be honest I'm not that mad about it. Enemies still either shoot from cover, or run straight at you. Pathfinding in an open world game is still hard to do, and therefore still sucks. Companions still get in the way all the time. I'm not asking for the world here, just some variety in enemy strategies. Read a basic text on squad level combat strategy, then implement some basic manoeuvres.
    -Variety. Yep, variety as a whole. It's a colourful game now, but still too brown. I'm not finding the weird weirdness that I expect from a fallout game.
    -Legendary Enemies. I don't like this, I don't like this at all, especially when it suddenly applies to nuisance enemies, like dogs. Named enemies with their own little forts and dungeons are the way to go.
    -Settlement building. The UI is awful. The size limit is massively disappointing, it is very poorly tutorialised.
    -Fusion Cores. They drain too quickly, even with perks. I like to play these games without fast travel, with these fusion cores, I'm forced to choose between playing the game the way I want to, or Power Armour. I like that they exist, I just wish they lasted like, a lot longer. Ingame days, when you consider their current rarity.I think the better way would be to power the armour off of MF cells, 10 MF cells for one current size length of time. Need to playtest that when I get my PC.
    -Too much killing. Every quest in this game seems to be about killing things, either for it's own sake, or as an obstacle to fetching something. We need more variety than this, perhaps even a different approach. Like talking. Give diplomacy a chance.
    -Conversation wheel. This does not work, it has never worked in any game that wasn't Mass Effect. Every time my character says something I didn't intend, I hate him more. That's not what should be happening here.
    -Challenge. The only challenge is to be found in fighting, where are the epic non-quested scavenger hunts, cerebral puzzles, and other interesting pursuits that add flavour to a fallout game. I want to spent hours researching the location of a technical macguffin, working it all out myself, and going to get it.

If it wasn't a Fallout game, I'd give this thing a nice solid 7, but it is a Fallout game. That's a big responsibility. Mods will fix it on PC.
  62. Nov 11, 2015
    Decepción absoluta con el juego, es una castaña llena de bugs y siento que esta estafa de sacar juegos bugueados está deteriorando la imagen de las empresas, que ya no miman sus juegos, sino que sueltan un alto contenido de absurdeces como el minecraft de hacerte tu pueblo. Es ridículo como han destrozado la libertad de maniobra.
  63. Nov 11, 2015
    Ни одну игру так не ждал, как fallout 4...лучше бы не ждал. Как по мне, так это провал года! Ни атмосферы, ни диалогов, ни нормальной прокачки персонажа - вообще ничего. Средненький шутер с элементами RPG, но не fallout...не тот fallout который все ждали.Ни одну игру так не ждал, как fallout 4...лучше бы не ждал. Как по мне, так это провал года! Ни атмосферы, ни диалогов, ни нормальной прокачки персонажа - вообще ничего. Средненький шутер с элементами RPG, но не fallout...не тот fallout который все ждали.
  64. Nov 11, 2015
    Bethesda has learned nothing and has not improved the fallout experience. If anything they have regressed. Fallout is no longer the RPG of days past. This game just leaves you wondering what Bethesda has been doing the past 5 years, It certainly was not creating a new game engine, nor was it spent improving the series.

Fallout 4 is a monumental step backward for Bethesda. Cons:

Fallout 4 is a monumental step backward for Bethesda.

Cons:
    Fallout is no longer and RPG
    Poor frame rate in areas.
    No SLI support.
    Corrupted saves.
    Graphical glitches.
    The "choose your own dialogue" has been overly simplified.
    Your companion will pick random stuff up out of the environment with out being asked to.
    Can't move the HUD down.
    Settlement feature
    Load times, if you put your games on HDDs be prepared to wait, almost as long as middle earth takes to load.

Pros:
    Fallout story line extended.
    You can build a fort?
    You get a dog early on.
    You can't really tell any graphical improvements between the games.
    you have a companion so its sorta like fallout 3 with the super mutant.
    You can't move the HUD but you can make it opaque.
    Electric bill and computer room temps are super low thanks to lack of sli support.

Computer: 4790k 16gb RAM two 780 SC's w10 SSD and HDD.

TL;DR: Skip buying new wait for it to go on sale on steam, Or better yet buy the Witcher 3 and enjoy a game the developers are actually passionate about.
  65. Nov 13, 2015
    Exceptionally disappointed in this game.

They've turned an eccentric, creative exploration RPG into a very samey, reaction-based shooter. I personally enjoyed both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I was hoping for something of the same. Instead what we now have is Call of Duty After The Bomb. Here's just a few of the details that ticked me off: No room for strategy in
    Exceptionally disappointed in this game.

Instead what we now have is Call of Duty After The Bomb.

Here's just a few of the details that ticked me off:

No room for strategy in fighting any more - it's all reaction-based trigger pulling

Characterisation is incredibly shallow now, dialogue is badly written and shallow, and there are very few actual choices you can make now.

You can't 'detect life' any more making play as a long-range sniper or at night pretty much useless.

They swore blind the FIV map was larger than F3 and FNV - this is a plain lie. The landscape is much smaller.

The crafting system, so vaunted, is not actually very sophisticated, it's just time-consuming and laborious. The 'settlement building' game is a frustrating and fiddly time sink.

...Oh, and I thought the Skyrim PS3 port to PC was a bad joke on PC users but the FIV port to PC is much, much worse.

Very annoyed with this game.
  66. Nov 14, 2015
    Very disappointed by this game. I was going to give it a 4, but after seeing the volume of 10's, I had to give it a 0 to balance things out. This is no way a 10/10 game. Drops frame rates like crazy. I couldn't order my dog around - it glitched out bad, treating all my dog commands as commands to Codsworth, and vice versa. To get the dog to do something I had to order the robot. Go figure.Very disappointed by this game. I was going to give it a 4, but after seeing the volume of 10's, I had to give it a 0 to balance things out. This is no way a 10/10 game. Drops frame rates like crazy. I couldn't order my dog around - it glitched out bad, treating all my dog commands as commands to Codsworth, and vice versa. To get the dog to do something I had to order the robot. Go figure. Enemies shoot at you through walls, even though they shouldn't be able to see you. Quest dialogue is poor, mostly useless. Trading and inventory management is tiresome, tedious, and not fun at all. Most of the quests are boring. First person shooting is, honestly, the worst I've ever played. The UI is horrendous. The only good thing about this is the music. Fortunately, you don't need the game for that. I highly recommend avoiding this altogether. Expand
  67. Nov 13, 2015
    This is hands down the buggiest game i've played in recent memory. I can't believe their QA department passed this game as a sellable product. You can't go 20 minutes without encountering a significant bug. The graphics are also inconsistent, There are some parts that look so next gen, others look like a ps2 game. Gameplay is decent, pretty good at best, the story will hook you at times,This is hands down the buggiest game i've played in recent memory. I can't believe their QA department passed this game as a sellable product. You can't go 20 minutes without encountering a significant bug. The graphics are also inconsistent, There are some parts that look so next gen, others look like a ps2 game. Gameplay is decent, pretty good at best, the story will hook you at times, but the bugs so insane that will make you forget the greatness of this game. Expand
  68. Nov 15, 2015
    Oh dear! The game has lots of great ideas, but on a technical level this is a really shoddy game. First off the install. I downloaded the game from psn in 30 min, but when I started the game it ran an install that took more than 2 hours. Wtf! Not exactly a good sign, and was followed by just really poor, and very inconsistent error acne. The game should not be running this poorly.

Come

Come on Bethesda, sort yourselves out
  69. Nov 17, 2015
    The good:
    - Graphics are pretty
    - Environment feel post-apocalyptic - Exploring is fairly fun - Customization / base building is fun The bad: - Enemy encounters are tedious at best, not fun at all, combat wasn't fixed from previous games - Story is average, you're forced into a role - Dialogue options isn't as good as other Fallout games - Game was numbed down for casuals -
    The good:
    - Graphics are pretty
    - Environment feel post-apocalyptic
    - Exploring is fairly fun
    - Customization / base building is fun

The bad:
    - Story is average, you're forced into a role
    - Dialogue options isn't as good as other Fallout games
    - Game was numbed down for casuals
    - Where are the military grade weapons
    - Character customization is good but very annoying to do
    - No pre-purchase little bonus

Not worth full price at all, wait for 2-3 months when it goes on sale on steam or something ( if you're on PC ).
  70. Nov 11, 2015
    The game is terrible. Not a Fallout game, hardly an RPG. The new mechanics are boring gimmicks, and they took out key old ones like Karma and item condition. You can choose to believe that all of us are trolling you, or you can recognize that a ton of Fallout fans genuinely hate the game and attempt to save your time and money. Your choice.
  71. Nov 10, 2015
    The game never should've been released in this sorry state. Has Bethesda learned nothing from the pushback from the PS3 port of Skyrim? Oh wait, there wasn't any...
  72. Nov 10, 2015
    Fallout 4 with upscaled textures, same resolution. Graphically it's a shame, it does not look like a current-gen game. It looks like someone ripped Skyrim and upscaled the textures a bit. Almost no shadows anywhere and framerates routinely drop below 20 FPS in heated battles.

Gameplay, it's more Fallout 3 with building mechanics. Nothing really new to the table.
  73. Nov 11, 2015
    Controls are terrible.
    Trying to shoot things feels bad/ controls are terrible.
    Companions are useless, use an ai 10x worse than the enemy.
    Companion can shoot at a stationary target 10 times without hitting him.
    Enemies auto target you through walls.
    Really really really lazy in every respect.
    Character literally cannot circle around a protectatron fast enough to hit it in the back.
  74. Nov 10, 2015
    It hurts to give such a hyped game such a mediocre score, but that's just how it goes.
    The animations are still Bethesda quality (cringeworthy), the voice work is very bland, the story is even blander, and the entire game is a mess of glitches that should never have made it past playtesting.
    The beginning of the game does not set up any long time Fallout fan to be excited. You jump in a suit of power armor with 0 experience, take down a deathclaw without having even encountered one prior, and tear raiders up with a minigun you should by all means not even know how to use.
    The game is very streamlined for casual players, and the story isn't an exception. I won't spoil the ending, but if you didn't like Fallout 3's ending pre-Broken Steel, you're going to hate this one.
  75. Nov 10, 2015
    This game is a huge dissapointment.

Would not waste my money if i could do it over agian...
  76. Nov 10, 2015
    Horribly simplistic storyline, outdated graphics, lesser conversation options, glitches, ... Overall poor improvement, if any, over the previous games.
  77. Nov 10, 2015
    To put it simply. This game is huge step backwards for the fallout series nothing added bar the crafting is an improvement. The dialogue, skills and perks overhaul was a huge mistake and honestly makes the game inferior in most ways to 3 and NV. If you like fallout go play Tales of Two Wastelands, I promise it will be far more satisfying.
  78. Nov 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. disappointment of the year. We want RPG. Not another Shooter. Bethesta... why? RPG every year it becomes less. Come again pereprohodit Fallout 2 or Fallout of Nevada Expand
  79. Nov 10, 2015
    story telling in this game is just a joke, comparing this with fallout 1 and 2 this game is for casuals, bugfest and glitches, wooden animations, fps drops, most 10 out 10 are trolls and fanboys
  80. Nov 10, 2015
    Its funny that people think this trash will beat witcher 3 for GOTY. Completed the game, its very predictable story line and pretty boring. The shooting in the game and combat isnt as clunky as like skyrim etc so it was pretty enjoyable. But the graphics, terrible pacing in story, and very empty feeling world makes this game quite easily to fall asleep playing
  81. Nov 10, 2015
    Thanks Bethesda for ruining the Fallout series.
    RPG? No! First person shooter.
    No reputation system, no "traits".
    More buggy than Fallout3, New Vegas...
  82. Nov 10, 2015
    Huge hyped game with lots things to do, BUT:
    1) its extremely BOOOORING, fetch quests, awful dialogues, braindead main quest, bleak characters.
    2) broken game, more buggy than Fallout3, New Vegas or AC:Unity. Lost hours of progress to craches/bugs. 3) outdated tech with fugly animations and ZERO actual roleplay in an RPG. TL;DR 11/10 - MUST BUY!!! /s God bless Steam has refund
    Huge hyped game with lots things to do, BUT:
    3) outdated tech with fugly animations and ZERO actual roleplay in an RPG.

TL;DR 11/10 - MUST BUY!!! /s
    God bless Steam has refund option, by the time this game is remotely fixed it will be $10 on Steam sales.
  83. Nov 10, 2015
    Graphics: outdated, like 2010
    Controls: ported badly for PC
    Gun feeling: bad Loading times: a lot when transitioning AI: non-existent Movement: glitching or blocked usually Story: mediocre, fallout 3 in reverse Building: ok, but unnecessary and badly ported for PC Faces: lifeless Companion options: insignificant, no consequences when dying in a fight Conversations: as simple as
    Graphics: outdated, like 2010
    Controls: ported badly for PC
    Gun feeling: bad
    Loading times: a lot when transitioning
    AI: non-existent
    Movement: glitching or blocked usually
    Story: mediocre, fallout 3 in reverse
    Building: ok, but unnecessary and badly ported for PC
    Faces: lifeless
    Companion options: insignificant, no consequences when dying in a fight
    Conversations: as simple as possible
    World: smaller than comparable games, no maintenance for tools needed, no food needed
    RPG: no, its a sandbox shooter now

all guys scoring this game a 9 or 10 are paid, i strongly suppose
  84. Nov 15, 2015
    So boring should have got another game, this one takes to long to get started. Terrible art design but that's bethesdas specialty. Borrow from a friend before pruchasing.
  85. Nov 10, 2015
    They took away all the good features what the game had in New Vegas. The map is smaller and it took only 5 minutes for me to run from the other end to the other.

1 point for weapon customization and 1 for building a useless shelter.
  86. Nov 10, 2015
    The game is not intuitive, it is not a game for casual players. Here guides do not exist, you'll be tired half a day to move the game forward. PS4 is declines frames per second. The story is as simple as tripe with oil, literally the moment we are in the apocalypse. Nothing special.
  87. Nov 17, 2015
    Graphics are fine imo. Stability is questionable. Bugs are everywhere but most can be overlooked at. What really grinds my gears is the game being dumbed down and streamlined to Oblivion. (Sadly not the Elder Scrolls game)

This is no longer an immersive post-apocalyptic roleplaying game with a coherent overworld, interesting stories/people/factions and different choices to make which really matter and change the outcome of your surroundings.

It's just a simple Exploration FPS with a Hub-like overworld, a lot of fetch quests à la "Go there, kill that, take this, bring back", mostly shoot and loot purpose-built locations and a lot of uninteresting characters. If they aren't simply generic "Settlers" etc. you won't be even alble to kill them. Nearly everyone of them is invincible and there's no more Karma or Faction system.

You're just playing the concerned father through all of this game, without the ability to be someone else or even just evil. There are no more multiple ways of solving a situation and he Dialogue wheel mostly consists of this:

No (Forced to still do it)
    Sarcastic (Yes)
    Huh? (Just an explanation which will lead back to the same options)

And occasionally a Speech check, but no more Barter/Intimidate/Medic etc. options.

This is not Fallout anymore. :/
  88. Nov 17, 2015
    I think that the hype that was built for this game is responsible for it's large scale disappointment.
    I have never played a Fallout game before this one, and never felt like I needed to in order understand the game. The story development was very well done, but that may be the only enjoyable thing in this game for me. The controls while aiming were slow and took some getting use to. The inability to use a weapon of my choice was annoying because ammo is virtually non existent. The companions seem to be a very dumb A.I. My next issue was the graphics and game play. Often time I felt the game was cheap looking and objects often disappeared or had jagged lines. My character often got stuck on objects, but that was the worst part. Very often I saw fps issues where the game went into a seizure and a few times even crashed the game making me restart from a distant save.
    The side quests and fort building feel like simple time padding to me, that had no real benefit to the game.
    Now the story -
    First it started strong, but depending on your choices, you may not be able to continue or trophy hunt after the end missions.
    The game felt short to me. Sure the game has tons of time killing missions, but I'm the type of gamer that needs purpose. A strong reason for grinding a boring battle system.
    The worst part of the game for me was the savaging. Looting everything for parts to upgrade crappy guns. Then not having room for anything else. I was annoyed way to much with this game.
    In closing, This game is a great rental, but I would not buy this at retail cost.
  89. Nov 10, 2015
    This hurts..but..Fallout 4 feels unfinished and poorly done. The graphics, characters and interface are off and it's bugged like hell. It's just fallout 3 one more time, and that's not good enough for me anymore - not with other massive games like witcher 3 and phantom pain around. I think I'm gonna sell this off right away -what a massive disappointment (and I love the other games in theThis hurts..but..Fallout 4 feels unfinished and poorly done. The graphics, characters and interface are off and it's bugged like hell. It's just fallout 3 one more time, and that's not good enough for me anymore - not with other massive games like witcher 3 and phantom pain around. I think I'm gonna sell this off right away -what a massive disappointment (and I love the other games in the franchise). Expand
  90. Nov 10, 2015
    Fallout 4 is from a technical perspective a massive disappointment. The framerate on consoles is NOT a stable 30fps even though the game looks extremely dated graphical wise. Sure, the Pc-version runs a lot better as usual for a Bethesda game, but this not mean the console versions do not deserve any attention.

Now the game itself is pretty good. If you enjoyed Fallout 3 you will most

Now the game itself is pretty good. If you enjoyed Fallout 3 you will most definitely enjoy the newest entry in the series as well. But if you plan to buy this for console it would be better to hold on your money a bit longer until the framerate issues get fixed.
  91. Nov 16, 2015
    It's a Bethesda Softworks so it's full of bugs as expected.
    When it comes to the fallout experience i think it's sub par to New Vegas dialog options are streamlined and your S.P.E.C.I.A.L doesn't matter so much any more sens you can lvl them up each time you lvl.
    It's a Bethesda Softworks so it's full of bugs as expected.

Story seams good tho and the new graphics style is refreshing so for a new player to the fallout series this game might be good but if you played some of the older games this will probably be a bad experience.

TL;DR
    Good for new players to the Fallout series
    Bad for old players to the Fallout series

5/10 it's an OK steam sale game but nothing more than that
  92. Nov 16, 2015
    Major disappointment from Bethesda. It's not even as engaging as Skyrim and nowhere near as good as Fallout 3.

They spent all their time building the environment (which isn't as compelling as the Capitol Wasteland or even Skyrim) and completely forgot to write a story we would care about. Factions are gone. Karma is gone. Skills are gone. I'm a huge Fallout fan. Have the t-shirts,

Factions are gone. Karma is gone. Skills are gone.

I'm a huge Fallout fan. Have the t-shirts, the artwork. Stayed up until 5am on Day 1 to play. Played 60 hours in the first week.

I can only hope Obsidian can do awesome things with a New Vegas sequel using this engine.
  93. Nov 10, 2015
    Game becomes boring very quickly. Plot is extremely dull and pedestrian. Characters and dialogs lack any atmospheric associations with an apocalyptic atmosphere. Don't buy!
  94. Nov 10, 2015
    This game feels like it's 4 years old already. Both in terms of graphics and mechanics. It is an inconsistent mess and - as always when it comes to this company games - buggy as hell. How long will Bethesta keep getting away with it?
  95. Nov 10, 2015
    I have played this game already when it was called Fallout 3 in 2007 and even then it was outdated product. Bethesda is totally inadequate and just changed graphics for a little and added Inappropriate features. To all blind fans - you were cheated once again and just wait for MMO as a next Fallout game.
  96. Nov 30, 2015
    *the last part of my entire entry* I found some BOS guys who had a quest for me but were fighting off ghouls that spawned infinitely into existence. I ran inside of a building only to see that the ghouls were punching me through the walls. Which they can do without glitching out. A man appeared and helped us out but the BOS guys started attacking him. He was invincible though, so the BOS*the last part of my entire entry* I found some BOS guys who had a quest for me but were fighting off ghouls that spawned infinitely into existence. I ran inside of a building only to see that the ghouls were punching me through the walls. Which they can do without glitching out. A man appeared and helped us out but the BOS guys started attacking him. He was invincible though, so the BOS guys just chased him down and have been crippling him from then on. I haven't seen any of them since. Quest gone. That was the quest to join the brotherhood. And it's gone. At that moment I realised that "sloppy and not-entirely-planned out" summed up this game perfectly and I've happily not played it since. There's usually a time frame for a game to be this unstable and unfinished and it's called the 'beta phase'. Expand
  97. Nov 10, 2015
    No "Hardcore mode", no weapon/armor degradation, no reputation system, no "traits", and the plot and characters are flat.
    But you can build weapons, houses and interact with the "real" pip-boy, so who cares?

If you enjoyed New Vegas, DON'T BUY IT.
    It's FarCry with Skirym features.

Thanks Bethesda for ruining the Fallout series.
  98. Nov 10, 2015
    Heavily streamlined and simplified version of FO3, which is already a heavily streamlined and simplified version of FO1,2. Characters are one-dimensional, decisions made by you never carry the weight of Witcher 3 decisions. Moreover, plot is very bland and slow. AI shoots nukes towards walls near it, conversations are unpredictable and the UI is broken, disappears constantly. Graphics areHeavily streamlined and simplified version of FO3, which is already a heavily streamlined and simplified version of FO1,2. Characters are one-dimensional, decisions made by you never carry the weight of Witcher 3 decisions. Moreover, plot is very bland and slow. AI shoots nukes towards walls near it, conversations are unpredictable and the UI is broken, disappears constantly. Graphics are so bad you'd think it's an HD remaster of FO3. Settlements system is redundant and it's interface is counter-intuitive.

The only saving grace of the game is the amount of artistically well done content and sound. In the absence of other high profile RPGs around, this game can take your next 100-200 hours easily to discover everything.

Bottomline - hard to recommend buying it in the post Witcher 3 world, but if you're already done with it and have spare 60 bucks - why not.
  99. Nov 10, 2015
    -Terrible 3rd person gun play.
    -Terrible facial designs.
    -Terrible Graphics.
    -Terrible frame rate.
    -Terrible sluggish story.
    -Terrible Inventory system.
    -Terrible boring/repetitive side quests.

+Fallout
  100. Nov 10, 2015
    Worst Fallout game, after a few hours of gameplay, i saw a lot of bugs on the map. I couldn't play it anymore because i couldn't end the situation because of the bug. I though it was only by me, but my friends had the same bug. Fallout 1-3 were much better than this. Idk what they did with the time. The game is broken.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Dec 16, 2015
    A strong return for the franchise, boasting incredible customisation, a fascinating world and brutal yet brainy shooting, slightly tarnished by lacklustre AI and tedious inventory management. [Christmas 2015, p.88]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Dec 15, 2015
    Feral Ghoul ugly in many ways, but beneath its iffy exterior beats the heart of one helluva great RPG. Get past the graphics deficiency, and the sheer thrill of Fallout 4’s combat, crafting options, and exploring will hold your attention for months. [January 2015, p64]
  3. Dec 11, 2015
    Fallout 4 leans to the Shooting side of things. It strips down the gameplay from the actual RPG elements and offers a meta-nuclaer shooting gallery which of course keep its charm and gameplay wealth but also feels a little too friendly for the new comers. The Base builder mode is unnecessary, boring and irritating. Unfortunately, overall, there are no steps forward for this Nuclear Holocaust Behemoth of the video games industry. Only steps sideways.