6.6

1. Nov 16, 2015
    Honest Review

I made a meta critic account to review this game because I am extremely disappointed. I pre ordered this game weeks in advance because I am a if fan of the fallout series. I enjoyed Fallout 3 and yes even New Vegas. I couldn't wait to sit down for hours and tell everyone how good this game is...alas it isn't so. The graphics for one are mediocre at best with game such
    Honest Review

The graphics for one are mediocre at best with game such as witcher 3 and assassins creed pushing the envelope. There is no excuse for this at all. Honestly it's comparable to the graphics in Fallout 3

The story, I know how could they screw this part up. This is what I was like looking forward to the most. They were very lazy in putting the story together. There is no back story or time to get in to the character which is a staple with fallout games. The reviewers say they throw you in to the story. I say they were lazy plain and simple. The result is I don't care about the character or his journey.

The gameplay smh. It just isn't fun. There is no yes moment when you kill your last enemy or go through the dialogue which is all bad. The main character sounds like he is one word away from going straight to sleep.

In the end I am very disappointed. Bethesda had enough time to knock this out the park but gave us something that feels unfinished . I read through the positive reviews no and I understand people want to like this game honestly I get that. As gamers though we can't settle for mediocrity lets reward companies who push the envelope and berate those who give us slop. This is the first game I ever preordered and I'm honestly amazed at how mediocre it is. I would rent it first if you like it then buy. Shame on Bethesda though for releasing this knowing it was half crap.
  2. Nov 17, 2015
    What a big letdown! Bethesda promised FALLOUT and RPG so I quickly went out of my way to freaking buy this game. What I got is FARCRY+BORDERLANDS!!!

This is not an RPG but an open world FPS! Gone are the brilliant sidequests in NV where you can finish a quest numerous ways and you can even be an evil bastard. Instead you get a quest, kill X amount, and go back to npc and be the good guy everyone wants you to be. Bethesda what the hell happened?

Granted, a lot of gameplay has been polished but the RPG elements really took a step back. This game is great without the Fallout name but what I wanted is Fallout not FarcryLands!
  3. Nov 12, 2015
    STOP!

Don't buy this game now and wait for the price to drop and buy it cheap. Cheap price for a cheap game. I'm not gonna repeat all that is said in the bad reviews, read them, it's all there. 1) Bethesda should fire all team. There is a clear lack of ambition and competence. You have the money, but you lack the professionals. Bethesda was a reference in RPGs but no longer.
    STOP!

Don't buy this game now and wait for the price to drop and buy it cheap.
    Cheap price for a cheap game.

1) Bethesda should fire all team. There is a clear lack of ambition and competence. You have the money, but you lack the professionals. Bethesda was a reference in RPGs but no longer. There are emerging teams a lot better than you creating RPG games.

Like in the Elder Scrolls series that afters a decade can't still even get a decent combat system.

2) Get a new decent engine along with decent programmers, writters and graphical artists. Your employees suck. They lack vision, quality and ambition. This is 2015 and Bethesda no longer rule in the RPG kingdom.

I should have bought Divinity: Original Sin for PS4 instead of Fallout 4. What a mistake...

This game is no way a zero, but you get one has a punishment for trying to destroy what was in the past a decent game.

Please Bethesda, if you ever read this, fire all your employees and get new ones. Why?

I love Witcher as i love Fallout, Mass Effect or Elder scrolls, so i'm not defending or attacking no one...

Witcher 3

"Took 3.5 years to develope with a total of 240 in-house staff. The development and marketing costs was about $81 million USD."

And they've created a great game techically, artistically and with amazing writting.

So now, Bethesda, compare this values with your values to create Fallout 4 that has poor writting, poor artistic value and technically looks like a Fallout 3 HD Remaster.

After all this years of waiting i must say i'm truly disappointed with this game.

Now i have to wait another 7 years to review Fallout 5.

Over and out.
  4. Nov 10, 2015
    Ehhhhhh. Disappointed is an under-statement, thanks a lot Last of Us.

Ehhhhhh. Disappointed is an under-statement, thanks a lot Last of Us.

I know it's not the same game, the RPG feature being the major factor in why people buy the majority of Bethesda games. But with the setting being quite similar it makes it very difficult for me not to compare the two (especially after playing in 3rd person mode). The game doesn't feel like it's progressed enough since Fallout 3, certainly not enough for 7 years and on a new generation of consoles. The frame-rate consistently drops way below its capped 30fps, very frustrating bugs when playing and a broken autosave function that basically just doesn't.. save.. After about 4 hours straight gameplay, and after numerous "autosaves" I died. This returned me way back, literally missions back. I had trophies for missions I completed, then had to complete the missions again. After re-doing the missions, I found the only way to do it is to manual save, which can be quite frustrating as it's so easy to forget in 2015.

Remembering when The Last of Us was released on Playstation 3, visually it was better than this is, the gameplay was a hell of a lot smoother and although it did have bugs they weren't game-changing, the gameplay was good enough to forgive and so was the story. For this being a story-oriented game, I expected a lot better after eagerly awaiting it since its announcements' teasing announcement. The last of Us, for me personally, has really set the bar for the whole post-apocalyptic theme and this game falls way, way short of it in any way.

Despite this, the game is still playable to an extent and would hope that the game isn't so bug-filled and disappointing for others. I have full faith that Bethesda will patch the problems sooner rather than later, they really won't want to lose any more reputation on a big game leading up to Christmas. But until these fixes are popped-up in the top left corner of my screen with a v1.02 update, my copy is staying in the shelf.

And people, I know it's bad right now, but giving it 0/10 implies it's one of the worst games ever made. We all know that award is a fight between the annual murder of the COD and FIFA franchises.
  5. Nov 12, 2015
    Atrocious settlement mechanic, **** dialogue wheel reducing every conversation to yes/no/sarcastic, zero nuance to quests or factions, hamboggled crafting system, lack of memorable characters rendering most of the npcs as props instead of people, and a forced role to play really make it hard to appreciate the fun aspects of this game.

"streamlining" really soiled the game for me.

"streamlining" really soiled the game for me.

disappointment/10
  6. Nov 12, 2015
    Quite disappointing game. Pre-ordered the game well before launch and was waiting for release date.
    The graphics is okay in best case but rather ugly. In some scenes ever lagging.

The quests are boring and dialogs are rather stupid. Mostly Yes, No.
    SPECIAL skill tree is pretty worthless.

Will finish the story mode quickly and resell the game while still worth anything.
  7. Nov 17, 2015
    Graphics are fine imo. Stability is questionable. Bugs are everywhere but most can be overlooked at. What really grinds my gears is the game being dumbed down and streamlined to Oblivion. (Sadly not the Elder Scrolls game)

This is no longer an immersive post-apocalyptic roleplaying game with a coherent overworld, interesting stories/people/factions and different choices to make which really matter and change the outcome of your surroundings.

It's just a simple Exploration FPS with a Hub-like overworld, a lot of fetch quests à la "Go there, kill that, take this, bring back", mostly shoot and loot purpose-built locations and a lot of uninteresting characters. If they aren't simply generic "Settlers" etc. you won't be even alble to kill them. Nearly everyone of them is invincible and there's no more Karma or Faction system.

You're just playing the concerned father through all of this game, without the ability to be someone else or even just evil. There are no more multiple ways of solving a situation and he Dialogue wheel mostly consists of this:

No (Forced to still do it)
    Sarcastic (Yes)
    Huh? (Just an explanation which will lead back to the same options)

And occasionally a Speech check, but no more Barter/Intimidate/Medic etc. options.

This is not Fallout anymore. :/
  8. Nov 17, 2015
    I think that the hype that was built for this game is responsible for it's large scale disappointment.
    I have never played a Fallout game before this one, and never felt like I needed to in order understand the game. The story development was very well done, but that may be the only enjoyable thing in this game for me. The controls while aiming were slow and took some getting use to. The inability to use a weapon of my choice was annoying because ammo is virtually non existent. The companions seem to be a very dumb A.I. My next issue was the graphics and game play. Often time I felt the game was cheap looking and objects often disappeared or had jagged lines. My character often got stuck on objects, but that was the worst part. Very often I saw fps issues where the game went into a seizure and a few times even crashed the game making me restart from a distant save.
    The side quests and fort building feel like simple time padding to me, that had no real benefit to the game.
    Now the story -
    First it started strong, but depending on your choices, you may not be able to continue or trophy hunt after the end missions.
    The game felt short to me. Sure the game has tons of time killing missions, but I'm the type of gamer that needs purpose. A strong reason for grinding a boring battle system.
    The worst part of the game for me was the savaging. Looting everything for parts to upgrade crappy guns. Then not having room for anything else. I was annoyed way to much with this game.
    In closing, This game is a great rental, but I would not buy this at retail cost.
  9. Nov 10, 2015
    This hurts..but..Fallout 4 feels unfinished and poorly done. The graphics, characters and interface are off and it's bugged like hell. It's just fallout 3 one more time, and that's not good enough for me anymore - not with other massive games like witcher 3 and phantom pain around. I think I'm gonna sell this off right away -what a massive disappointment (and I love the other games in theThis hurts..but..Fallout 4 feels unfinished and poorly done. The graphics, characters and interface are off and it's bugged like hell. It's just fallout 3 one more time, and that's not good enough for me anymore - not with other massive games like witcher 3 and phantom pain around. I think I'm gonna sell this off right away -what a massive disappointment (and I love the other games in the franchise). Expand
  10. Nov 16, 2015
    It's a Bethesda Softworks so it's full of bugs as expected.
    When it comes to the fallout experience i think it's sub par to New Vegas dialog options are streamlined and your S.P.E.C.I.A.L doesn't matter so much any more sens you can lvl them up each time you lvl.
    It's a Bethesda Softworks so it's full of bugs as expected.

Story seams good tho and the new graphics style is refreshing so for a new player to the fallout series this game might be good but if you played some of the older games this will probably be a bad experience.

TL;DR
    Good for new players to the Fallout series
    Bad for old players to the Fallout series

5/10 it's an OK steam sale game but nothing more than that
  11. Nov 16, 2015
    Major disappointment from Bethesda. It's not even as engaging as Skyrim and nowhere near as good as Fallout 3.

They spent all their time building the environment (which isn't as compelling as the Capitol Wasteland or even Skyrim) and completely forgot to write a story we would care about. Factions are gone. Karma is gone. Skills are gone. I'm a huge Fallout fan. Have the t-shirts,

Factions are gone. Karma is gone. Skills are gone.

I'm a huge Fallout fan. Have the t-shirts, the artwork. Stayed up until 5am on Day 1 to play. Played 60 hours in the first week.

I can only hope Obsidian can do awesome things with a New Vegas sequel using this engine.
  12. Nov 10, 2015
    This game feels like it's 4 years old already. Both in terms of graphics and mechanics. It is an inconsistent mess and - as always when it comes to this company games - buggy as hell. How long will Bethesta keep getting away with it?
  13. Nov 10, 2015
    I have played this game already when it was called Fallout 3 in 2007 and even then it was outdated product. Bethesda is totally inadequate and just changed graphics for a little and added Inappropriate features. To all blind fans - you were cheated once again and just wait for MMO as a next Fallout game.
  14. Nov 10, 2015
    Fallout 4 has the same performance as the Assassin Creeds Unity - needles to say I am asking for a refund.

The story might be awesome but with the terrible frames and performance overall, no matter the excuses achieving Zero fps and all other frame rate issues is something that equals Bethesda with Ubisoft in my view. The frame rate problems affects the aim (how am I supposed to aim

The frame rate problems affects the aim (how am I supposed to aim without seeing properly?), we get normally stuck on places, I lost some progress with this as I had to close the game and start again from the last save (multiple times)

For all that, Fallout 4 deserves only a rating of 5 (and I am being generous).
  15. Nov 10, 2015
    Tech issues and bugs classical Bethesda release .. game itself looks and plays great. Do not recommend buying now for PC. Wait for the first wave of patches.
  16. Nov 14, 2015
    The fallout series, it has one of my favourite games of all time (NV) and it also has my biggest disappointment of all time (Fo4). Note: this is a critique, I'm not mentioning the positives as Fo4 is still an ok game, not a good Fallout game mind you.

Dialog system: While the voice acting of the average character is improved (mainly because there's more than 5 actors now), it goes to

Dialog system:
    While the voice acting of the average character is improved (mainly because there's more than 5 actors now), it goes to waste on lifeless personalities that have no depth to them - their just so unremarkable compared to the cast of previous fallouts. The voice actors that play our protagonist is quite good, but a bit one note. The real killer is the 4 option dialogue system, it's not just horrendous 'cause its "bastardised" compared to previous titles but to me it destroys any sought of role-playing; the speech checks in NV gave a distinction between characters, a player who role-played as a low intelligence character would be somewhat different then a character who has more intelligence and vice versa, unfortunately Fallout 4 removes that entirely and the dialogue consist of (a) one demented response, (b) the "lets skip this conversation already" or simply yes, (c) asking questions, or (d) the "i'm not sure yet" response. To me option "C" is the worst offender, its just a lazy way of expending lore; remember, Bethesda, showing me rather than telling me is always better since it doesn't interrupt game time at all.
    Combat:
    I don't have much to say on the fundamentals of combat, but after playing the masterful combat that was MGSV, it feels extremely basic. Stealth is as "unrepaired" as it has always been, but even worst here, since you need a to perk to muffle your footsteps to be competitive when using melee. The "gung ho" approach that was always punished in previous games is the easiest and least risky way to complete each mission, while keeping constant covertness is just too difficult on harder difficulties. While the enemies do give challenge to the game, their AI is just if not worst than previous fallouts. The game has automated spotlights that try to detect threats but their so useless that they might as well not be their; when the AI hears commotion, instead of searching they move away from the commotion (how'd that get pass testing?); no matter how many times you're detected by the enemies, once you lose your state of caution they completely forget that you existed, they should at least add more guards after this confrontation (this is the same in previous games, but this 2015 not 2008, we have higher expectations); the melee is just awful, in NV most weapons had a unique animation when preforming a running attack, in Fo4... well, I hope you like the seeing the same clunky animation play repetitively; overall the melee and unarmed weapons are nothing compared to the plethora of NV's arsenal, nothing will beat smashing a guys head in with a nine iron (I'm not sure if that's in Fo4). I'm could go on and on but I beating a dead horse here.

Other stuff:
    *Unique weapons have the same model as their standard counterpart (don't quote me on that).
    *The beginning of the game is so disjointed that it nearly killed it for me, like I have no other leads other than a drug addicts visions to go Diamond City? In NV, you already knew where to go, that city in the distance (show don't tell, remember Bethesda?).

In conclusion, I've enjoyed myself but it could be so much better. I have yet to complete the main story, but so far the side activities are clustered but fun
  17. Nov 12, 2015
    I'd rather have some HD texture and graphics mods on fallout 3, and just play through that again. The pipboy app is the only thing I feel was innovative and refreshing on this game. Shame I can't port that to fallout 3.

Animations and textures seem so random in quality. NPCs throughout the game look awful, but when I run into a random settler, his animations and textures look great.

My score is based off of the inconsistent nature of how the game was assembled.

Overall, it''s on par with the company's track record.

Regardless, it's still something new to play, and I thank all the people for their hard work, supervisors and quality control department messed up though.
  18. Nov 10, 2015
    So this is Fallout 4, the title some gamers have been waiting for with devotion since its announcement. I had played big chunks of Fallout 1, completed Fallout 3 and New Vegas and especially appreciated New Vegas` great storyline/characters and liked Fallout 3 for making such an hard transition into the FPS-Genre without losing the feel of the franchise. That said, I wasn´t very much hypedSo this is Fallout 4, the title some gamers have been waiting for with devotion since its announcement. I had played big chunks of Fallout 1, completed Fallout 3 and New Vegas and especially appreciated New Vegas` great storyline/characters and liked Fallout 3 for making such an hard transition into the FPS-Genre without losing the feel of the franchise. That said, I wasn´t very much hyped for Fallout 4 since I didn´t really see too much variety in gameplay to keep me entertained after the already quite similar New Vegas and 3, plus one can see the nuclear wasteland and all its factions only so many times till it eventually gets a bit too familiar.

Now that Fallout 4 is out, I feel a bit sad for all the ones who have so eagerly awaited this game.

Technical aspects: Fallout 4 is not the most beautiful game ever put before the eyes of gamers, but the quality of the graphics and textures suffices for the most part. For the most part, that is, because there are still some annoying textures that pop up or just won´t load properly or seem very grainy when directly looking at them. That´s not very much desired, but in a game this big it´s forgivable and no real buffer. What is a buffer, however, is that the framerate leaves a lot to be desired on the consoles, regular framedrops are the norm. The AI, too, varies from being ever-observant to degenerating into plump, brainless bullet-sponges that get stuck behind small bushes and walls, ready to be riddled with gunshots. Such glitchy behaviour is so regularly encountered, I started to incorporate it in my startegy of survival to predict that at least one enemy would be easily taken down due to that behaviour. However, we were warned, Bethesda-games are usually riddled with bugs. This may not suffice as an apology, but it didn´t diminish the fun of playing too much that I wanted to quit.

The world: No doubt, this is what Fallout 4 has going for it. It´s a wasteland with heart, where nice little surprises await in some seemingly abandoned cars/houses, the paths are all but beaten and feel bursting with mysteries that want to be unravelled. From interesting scrap-metal-palaces to the ruins of gloomy suburbs to just wandering the wasteland, there is much to be seen. The new, slightly lighter colour-pattern helps to create the feel of a wasteland-world that is slowly starting to feel very natural to its inhabitants. Thus it looks bleak overall, yet still strangely inviting. However, one cannot shake the feeling of "been here, done that", especially when having played Fallout-titles before. The world is as inviting as ever, yet it feels a tad too familiar and close too Fallout 3/New Vegas by now, without real higlights like the life-filled casinos in New Vegas, which is why strong gameplay is needed to shake things up a little.

Gameplay: Sadly, gameplay is the least riveting thing about all of fallout 4. It does very little to exceed the expectations that people had, it still feels as sluggish as ever, guns don´t give that much feed-back as one would have wished and feel very similar to each other, so that once again the VATS is the saving grace of Fallout not becoming too stale over time. Furthermore, enemies do not need some special tactics to deal with them, it usually boils down to "shoot it till it doesn´t move" which gets very familiar very fast. The customization is nice, but why should I feel excited about customizing guns that do not really have much of a feel to them and are quite similar in the first place? On the other hand, the house-building is maybe the freshest idea bethesda has had in a long time and I will give them credit for that, if it is not me, at least many other gamers will have fun playing Wasteland-Architect for some more time in F4, good job on that one.

Story & Questlines: I will not talk about the story for obvious reasons (spoilers), the game is too fresh out the oven to discuss that. What can be said: It´s enough to keep you engaged, but it doesn´t reach the heights of NV and falls flat when compared to the strong competition like Witcher 3 and even GTAV. A fortiori, I was very dissappointed that not even the normal questlines tried to be something special, they´re typical fetch-quests, shoot-up-the-bandit-quests, go-there-look-at-that-quests. Sure, those are the standard for open-world games, but Fallout 4 has no stories in that quest-lines to keep me engaged, GTAV and Witcher (that often have similar quests) have the decency to make me care for the quests through meaningful dialogue and superb characters. Fallout 4, on this aspect falls flat, it just indulges in its own sense of dark humour yet completely forgets that it also needs good characters to make me care for the tasks they´re posing.

Overall, Fallout 4 plays, looks and feels familiar and if it wasn´t for the engaging premise of the nuclear wasteland per se, it would be a standard open world. Furthermore, technical issues pile up and thus drag the game down. 65/100
  19. Aug 9, 2016
    Fallout 4 is a good action adventure/FPS, but it is severely lacking in the RPG department. It's not a bad game, but I can't help but feel Bethesda outright ignores fans demands of endint casuallization.
  20. Nov 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Felt compelled to give an opinion on this one. This game is a massive disappointment so I bullet the reasons why. IMHO, I bulleted important and then made comparisons to previous games.

- Voiced character/Commander Shepherd, accept much worse, has a dialogue box that destroys any form of imagination and immersion. Yes, like 5-8 word responses, sometimes taken exactly from the dialogue boxes. Codsworth, your robotic butler, has more emotion then your player character. He's like Commander Shepherd with a T-800 automated voice response. This is a major step backward for the game franchise. The opening narration and ending from your voice character was good and so was the end. There was no need to change the dialogue system and they did. It's really, really not good.

2. Game world appears to be significantly smaller then FO3 and FNV. We are talking a DLC sized map. They spent seven years to bring us this?!!

3. Game characters are inferior to the cast of colorful characters in FO3 and especially, FNV.

4. Fallout 4 asks the question what would happen if we reversed the main plotline with the two main cast of characters? Still confused? Don't worry, you'll find out when you play.

5. A lot of game glitches and optimization issues. This is handing a broken game to gamers for $60. FNV was attacked on release by major reviewers, but most are sold (bought, kaching, kaching) on this one.

6. Get BOS power armor in 20 minutes and kill a death claw.

Now with those impressions out of the way, I really don't know what to say. FO3 and FNV are superior games . The game reminds me of a good launch title to show off a system, sort of like what it did at the E3 press conference. It reminds me of the game RAGE. In fact, I was having more fun with Rage at this point. Meaning a colorful vibrant world, but a lack of dialogue, depth, speech points, and a story recycled and rehashed from FO3. Diamond City looks like Megaton. The lack of any type of ingenuity or progression in this game is staggering.

Fallout 3 is a phenomenal game, possibly one of the best games of all time. FNV had some flaws, but made up for its hilarious dialogue, quirkiness of Characters and plots (Yes Man flipping general off Hoover Dam, ding a ding ding baby, crossdressing, super mutant Tabitha, the Elvis gang, ghouls in rocket ships, the lottery winner, the excellent idiocy of Fantastic, the various factions, and moral choices throughout the game). FNV was flawed but it was hilarious and sometimes was superior to FO3, having the dark comedy of FO and FO2. The fun of the characters, along with the snide and hilarious responses are gone. I named my character Commander Shepherd btw lol.

The issue of this game stems from the continued lack of ingenuity, sequelitis, and a half polished game for a cash grab.

The game is a 6. The graphics are of a good quality and the locations are good, when you're not talking. It's not groundbreaking in any way shape or form. Personally, this is the worst disappointment since the ME 3 ending. Yes, I think its that bad. It may actually be worse. We'll see.

So do yourself a favor and buy this at your own risk. This is not a revival of the game franchise. It is a devival of the highest caliber. Unless you a hardcore fan, you will be disappointed with this one. Hopefully, this allow gamers to think twice about this one, before buying it if at all. The game is anywhere between a 5-7 on a scale of 1-10.

Not a 9-10 from all of the game reviewers and Let's Players who broke street date, thank you so much so drop a "like" and then get cash and repeat, like Bethesda. I worry about Elder Scrolls and hopefully they'll learn from this one. So please complain and speak up. They need to hear it.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. I'm out.

21. Nov 10, 2015
    I don't think the level of quality deserves a better rating. The graphics look dated, the world doesn't feel very alive, the characters feel awkward. If this was some unknown game, I don't think it would be gain much attention.
    However, the setting is pretty unique and the story is starting to grow on me (about 15 hours in). Overall an enjoyable game.
  22. Nov 10, 2015
    Entering the Wasteland for the first time: "Oh W3 had much nicer environments"
    Entering Diamond City: "Oh Novigrad was much more lively. And i could actually enter it without any loading screens."
    Playing through the main quest: "Oh W3 had much more epic and impactful storyline" Playing through the side quests: "Oh W3 did that way better, too!" Talking to NPC´s: "Well oh, W3´s
    Entering the Wasteland for the first time: "Oh W3 had much nicer environments"
    Playing through the side quests: "Oh W3 did that way better, too!"
    Talking to NPC´s: "Well oh, W3´s dialogues were so much better written. NPC´s and their backstories were much more realistic."

Its a fun Game but since W3 came out this year you can´t shake off the feeling that it seems kind of outdated after that...
  23. Dec 9, 2015
    Update:

Despite how much time I have spent playing Fallout 4, I can't help but feel disappointment, disdain in knowing that this game should be better than it is, the inescapable feeling that Bethesda didn't give this 100% I am updating this review because I have finally gotten around to playing The Witcher 3 and by comparison alone, Fallout now looks terrible to me. The gameplay is
    Update:

The gameplay is good but not a lot more is brought to the table, the crafting system is good for weapons and Armour but becomes absolutely useless when building up settlements; and you'll constantly be over encumbered because of all the junk you're carrying around. Radiation has been nicely tweaked however.

Visuals, once upon a time I thought they were good and to a certain extent they are; the lighting is brilliant and the radiation storms look amazing but on a whole, the creation engine is very old and even swimming, looks the same as it did in The Elder Scrolls IV. Textures are horrid and so is most of everything else; even the reflection in you weapon when it rains is a preset SUNNY image, what!? Overall, it just looks dated and not next gen, granted the world is big in this game and there's a lot too it but on this generation there really is no excuse.

Characters are dull and not very memorable, the only memorable one I found, I was forced to kill as part of the story because my charisma was too low to save them, really? Thanks for the freedom Bethesda. I felt betrayed by my own character a lot due to the new "speech wheel" which has options that are essentially: yes, no, not sure, sarcastic and EVERY SINGLE TIME they will say something you really didn't want or intend them to say and it will ruin you relationship with your companion.

The story is mostly predictable with one main twist that makes you think someone at Bethesda quit and someone new started telling the story. The side quest I found through exploring were more memorable.

Bugs wise there are a few but none to serious, other than a time I killed someone for a mission, they died and the marker stayed on them telling me I had to kill them, I missed out on some loot because of this.

Overall, distinctively average from Bethesda, it's painful for me to write a review like this for this game, I was so hyped up for this release but given that a huge company with a huge budget made this, when you compare that fact to how good the Witcher is, it makes you think; should war have changed?
  24. Nov 10, 2015
    in Summary cool world nice shooting system but awful controls on pc with mouse and keyboard and the dialogue system is complete trash. Its absolutely no fun to talk to other people. Every time 4 answer possibilities most of them are yes no or maybe and the third is a one-liner too. not a worthy successor for Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Maybe Mods will do it
  25. Feb 3, 2016
    The first thing you will notice about Fallout 4 is its outdated engine. First time I played a Bethesda open world game was years ago when I had lots of fun with Morrowind. That game was pretty ambitious for its time, and the erratic gameplay was not a problem back them. Morrowind is a game from 2002 but the core idea of that game is still here in Fallout 4, the most waited release of 2015.The first thing you will notice about Fallout 4 is its outdated engine. First time I played a Bethesda open world game was years ago when I had lots of fun with Morrowind. That game was pretty ambitious for its time, and the erratic gameplay was not a problem back them. Morrowind is a game from 2002 but the core idea of that game is still here in Fallout 4, the most waited release of 2015. Fallout 4 suffer from the same problems I found in Morrowind: its basically a 1st person game, and the 3rd person view is no more than a cool way to look at your character, as a result the gameplay in 3rd person feels out of place (just like previous Bethesda RPGs) and character movements are pretty weird to say at best. Actually, while using power armor, main character walks in such a terrible way that almost made me laugh. Sometimes it seems the big armored heroe is doing a pretty bad dance.

Companions are improved, but are still more useful to carry your stuff than anything. When you enter every single building there are still annoying loading screens.

Graphics are bad. There are some good moments, specially light effects, but as a whole you just ca't accept those graphics. Some textures are bad even for a PS3 or XBOX 360 game. Characters facial animations are not even as good as those ones from Mass Effect 2 or 3, and man, they look bad. When think about games like Batman Arkham Knight, MGSV, Witcher 3 or GTAV, its really hard to not mind about what you see in this game.

Bethesda decisions to give us a full voiced characters was not necessarily a bad one, the problem is that a full voiced characters requires a more polished character development, and we won't get that here. The lines and dialogue options given to your character you only let you know that you he/she is looking for his lost son. Period. There is not emotions, none development. Your interaction with factions are also unispiring.I still don't know why I was supposed to care about Bortherhood of Steel, and other stuff happening in Wasteland. In my opinion the biggest problem with FO4 narrative and quests structure, is that the game is seems to be forcing you to do things. For example, at some point a big zepelin will be flying over your head and suddenly a new mission will appear for you, something like "talk to this guy to join Brotherhood of Steel". I remember when of the most amazing experiences in Morrowind discovering stuff. You could spent hours and hours of the game getting to know the religious aspect of the island, and when you got more interested in that subject, you could just decided to join a cult. In Skyrim you could find similar itens here and there, and then you would just start thinking that could be connected somehow. The game let you discover what you could do. That stuff won't happen here.

Make no mistake, FO4 1st person shooting gameplay is not fun enough and is not even polished enough. That old FO3 trick where you could "stop" the game and choose where to shoot your enemy was cool years ago and was perfect to hide the not so good gameplay, but I really expect a better and more fluid shooting, but it seems thats impossible with that engine...

While W3 could give you amazing side stories like Bloody Baron and remarkable characters, like Triss, Yeneffer and Ladies of The Woods, FO4 story and plot is cheap and lazy. There are some characters that had potencial, like Piper and Valentino, but everything their development feel rushed. Pip boy is a mess. Cool but confusing and far from intuitive.

Power Armor was a huge deal in FO3 and New Vegas, but here they are not exactly a regular armor that you will find. In first hours of gameplay you will be able to use the armor, but now Hey requires some kind of battery, that will be gone soon, and are pretty hard to find. The armor also will be damaged pretty quickly, and you can only repair it in power armor stations. That was a pretty bad move for my taste, since that means you must be looking around to stuff to repair a armor that won't last long.

Game design is underwhelming, since its impossible to believe its a world set 200 years after the apocalypse. So you won't get the feeling you got from FO3 or from games like Last of Us or Metro games. The wasteland looks like a big area that people just left for good months ago. Discovering vaults were one of the most nice things in FO3, but all the Vaults I visited here where not exactly special, and they all had this cartoonesque presentation, not even close of the depressing and cold feeling of vaults from FO3.

I was really sure this game was going to be the 2015 game of the year. Easily. For someone that don't have enough time to spend with games, after some hours I just realized that "Wasteland" name was actually trying to tell me one thing, then I stopped wasting my time with FO4 and remover it from my PS4.
  26. Apr 11, 2018
    Step down from Fallout 3 and new vegas that's all that I'm going to say.
    No imagination
    No plot Too many essential characters Weak ending No character development ( wanted to get to know some of the characters more ) Level up system is same as the old system just made for the younger kids awful Mele weapons useless on harder difficulties Companions AI sometimesbuggy rushed
    Step down from Fallout 3 and new vegas that's all that I'm going to say.
    No imagination
    No plot
    Too many essential characters
    Weak ending
    No character development ( wanted to get to know some of the characters more )
    Level up system is same as the old system just made for the younger kids awful
    Mele weapons useless on harder difficulties
    Companions AI sometimesbuggy
    rushed introduction
    Garbage radio music and talker
    More customisation for weapons and armour but its so repetitive seeing pipe pistols jheez I'd rather have 300 different type of weapons
    Story was soo bland and didn't drive you as much as Fallout 3
    The dialogue system is in absolute shambles only 4 options are you serious and most of the time its just a yes or no with a sarcastic along with something else
    I'm sorry that the elder scrolls is your baby and wot not but still care for a game that's along side your best work
    Enemies are just bullet sponges on hard difficulty
    I've played over 72 hours for my first character and I've been left speechless of how garbage it was
    Wheres the importance of the power armour
    It had a disgusting HUD
    Limited enemies (retexture doesn't count )
    Enemies with same weapons
    not that many animations that stood out
    Liberty prime are you serious
    some game textures missing (granade explosion)
    graphics was worser than witcher 3 even though that got toned down
    you call this an RPG
    Damn I should've bought witcher 3
    is the map bigger than skyrim (i highly doubt)
    how was his even a contender to the game of the year i dont know
    Mele weapons was a card board copy of skyrim
  27. May 9, 2016
    This game is not a game. It's a loading screen simulator. It's a "product" that Bethesda cranked out to boost their quarterly earnings so they could please investors. There is no soul behind this game. No love was put it into it. It feels sterile and meaningless. Devoid of all joy. The developers of this game felt like they were consulting a checklist of commonly used gameplay mechanicsThis game is not a game. It's a loading screen simulator. It's a "product" that Bethesda cranked out to boost their quarterly earnings so they could please investors. There is no soul behind this game. No love was put it into it. It feels sterile and meaningless. Devoid of all joy. The developers of this game felt like they were consulting a checklist of commonly used gameplay mechanics from other open world games. The quests are all the same. Go somewhere. Kill all the people. Collect reward. That wouldn't be terrible if the gameplay was great. But it isn't. It's sub par, c-tier, mundane gameplay that feels like its code was copy-pasted straight out of a tutorial on how to make an FPS' in Unity.
    But what about the story? It sucks. The NPC's don't feel real. You can see through their movements and actions. They all appear as lifeless zombies that spout dialogue when you talk to them. They aren't natural. The story is just some generic plot which echoes similar comparisons as the gameplay; it feels like it was made by some amateur screenwriter who just took his first Screenwriting 101 class.
    I could go on about the endless loading screens (I'm serious, I think I spent equal time in loading screens as I did in game), the boring weaponry, or the lazy graphics (seriously look at this game compared to The Witcher 3. Not only is it graphically worse, it's worse in just about every other conceivable way). But for the sake of brevity lets wrap this **** up. You may wonder, after all of that why I gave this game a 5 out of 10. I gave it a 5 because it's just average. Look at my word choice throughout this review. "Mundane", "Stale", "Sub par". It's an average game that you just play because it's a game. You play it when there aren't any new games out and you need something to play.
  28. Nov 30, 2015
    I'm one of those RPG players who are most disappointed because of the crap dialogue system, the linear quests, the less than moderate effects of our character's actions on the world around, and hence, the zero replayability of the game.

I think I figured out what's the elementary difference between the F4 quest system and the predecessor games'. In F3 or New Vegas, a quest dialogue

In F3 or New Vegas, a quest dialogue usually happens like this:

- the NPC proposes the problem;
    - our character can choose between about 2 or 3 options what to do, how to solve or not to solve the problem;
    - If we choose Option 1, and the NPC reacts, it moves forward to about 2 further sub-options: - the quest can end with End A or End B;
    - if we choose Option 2, and the NPC reacts, it offers another 2 sub-options: - the quest will end with End C or End D;
    - and likewise, if we have Option 3 as well.
    This is about 3-4-5 possible ending of an average quest, and they are irreversible (the world around will go on with the End you chose). This is the non-linear quest-structure.

In Fallout 4, a quest dialogue happens like this:

- the NPC proposes the problem;
    - our character can choose between 4 options what to do (although, by default we don't know what he/she will actually DO, it's just a guess);
    - if we choose Option 1, and the NPC reacts, it leads our character BACK to the other starter three Options;
    - if we choose Option 2, and the NPC reacts, it leads BACK to the original Options;
    - if we choose Options 3, and the NPC reacts, the quest moves forward with the only one possible outcome;
    - if we choose Option 4 which means "no, I won't do it", the quest takes a break, offering you to come back later to choose the only one possible Ending.
    This is an average 1 possible quest ending (if we don't count "no, I don't do this" as a second ending). This is a linear quest-structure. - - And I hate it.

Those folks, who created and wrote the quests for F4,
    1. never played any roleplay games;
    2. consider us to be total idiots who buy this as "RPG quests". I'm personally annoyed by this.
  29. Dec 1, 2015
    I wouldn't call it a terrible game, just disappointingly unimpressive, not only on a technical level but as an overall experience. The only improvement to the franchise was a building system, but everything else I enjoyed has been utterly gutted or simplified.
    I can understand how people could enjoy this, but I've found myself bored to death with this painfully average game.
    As a

As a fallout fan I feel somewhat alienated from the series now, I just hope Obsidian gets another crack at it.
  30. Apr 21, 2016
    Fallout 4 is a good video game, but a subpar Fallout game. While the mechanics and gameplay are "smoother" than it's predecessors, it is still below average for next gen console games. Parts of the game get laggy, especially when you go downtown, and the game still suffers from the usual bugs like every other Bethesda game. The story is basically Fallout 3 in reverse but it does have someFallout 4 is a good video game, but a subpar Fallout game. While the mechanics and gameplay are "smoother" than it's predecessors, it is still below average for next gen console games. Parts of the game get laggy, especially when you go downtown, and the game still suffers from the usual bugs like every other Bethesda game. The story is basically Fallout 3 in reverse but it does have some interesting twists down the road, however the first part of the campaign is not enjoyable at all and is very time consuming. The factions in the game are quite disappointing and underwhelming when compared to the factions of other fallout games. The Institute could have been so much better and more formidable and the railroad consists of like 20 people. This on top of the fact that another faction, The Minutemen is basically where the player is a one man army. This leaves the Brotherhood, and while I like them, I am getting tired of them being a major role in every fallout game, however I do like the direction Bethesda took them in, back to their old ways of preserving tech rather than being peacekeepers. All of the factions are accessed way too easily except the Institute obviously, and until the story's climax, they have you run around as an errand boy solo doing small missions. The game is filled with radiant quests which become more annoying than useful, and often times are unavoidable. The power armor makeover was not a good decision, as you now need fusion cores to power it and it is very clunky and difficult to move around in and overall discourages it's own use.
    The Commonwealth is probably the worst wasteland ever created in a fallout game. The city in no way reminds me of Boston, and the game has a design struggle between buildings: some look very old (revolutionary era), some have that 50's design to them, and some have this futuristic, colorful, plastic look to them. This is probably the worst part about the game. The Capital Wasteland, and Mojave were full of interesting places to explore with unique loot scattered throughout their wastelands. The Commonwealth is full of inaccessible buildings, and the ones that can be accessed are very dull and filled with either raiders, ghouls, or mutants. Outside the city it is basically a massive swamp scattered with useless prewar towns and buildings that contain nothing unique or interesting. And Bethesda tried to make the game world pretty, while failing to realize these game worlds should not be pretty, but they should make you feel like they were before the war. However a great addition they added were the new crafting tools (without them I would've given this game a 4) as they have greatly expanded what the player can do in the game. I personally love building things so I found it to be a great addition, however many people do not enjoy building, so this will not suit everyone. Overall I was disappointed with the game's quests and the world (including everything in it), and I found the gunplay to be simply decent, as well as the graphics. The crafting was the best part in my opinion, as without it the game would not have much replay value. But if you want a great fallout game, go with Fallout 3 or NV.
  31. Apr 27, 2016
    Of all Bethesda games I have completed only Fallout 3 (I've enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim but after 30-40 hours they're getting repetitive), so I've been really waiting for a sequel.

However, Bethesda failed to reach the bar it set with previous titles. Almost all aspects of the game are either boring or dumb. The most disappointing are new crafting and settlement systems. Haven't

Haven't completed the game yet (hopefully, I'll be able to push it) but the story is not very interesting or intriguing so far. Dialogs are really dumbed down comparing even to F3, you have no choice at all.

The game is not rewarding, I feel nothing finding new items, especially it it's the items I already have with upgrades installed. If it wasn't about trophies, I'll have no reason to continue at all...
  32. Jun 24, 2018
    There's too much to say about this game so I'll just highlight a few main thoughts I have on it.

Pros: 1. Better performance (at least in my experience), especially compared to the laggy/freezy FO3 and FNV 2. A few decent moments in the main story, like when you get to first enter the Institute 3. Weapon customization/upgrading 4. Some great environment/atmosphere/immersion

3. Weapon customization/upgrading
    4. Some great environment/atmosphere/immersion elements, like the Glowing Sea, or even the little story behind the Boston Mayoral Shelter
    5. Better character appearance customization

Cons:
    1. Overly combat-centric, which quickly results in an overpowered player character with overpowered weapons that can sweep anything they encounter in the wasteland. Also harms the feasibility of a peaceful-approach play-style that some might want to go for
    2. Factions that are one-dimensional and often seem juvenile (besides the Institute, which was just poorly written). Makes you wish there was a Yes-Man-esque ending option where you didn't have to side with one of them
    3. The lazy and annoying repeatable quests. Gone are the in-depth side quests featuring interesting NPCs, to be replaced by meaningless retrieval or killing-mission quests
    4. Perhaps most seriously of all, the unmistakable shift away from RPG and towards first-person/third-person shooter. The new perk system and getting rid of skills was just the beginning. Your choices are mostly superficial and limited in their impact, besides the obvious choice of selecting whom to side with in the end. Others have gone into more depth about this, so I won't bother repeating more of it here.

Overall, FO4 isn't a terrible game, but it is one that lacks sophistication and heart. It doesn't draw me back to play it again in the same way FO3 and especially FNV did, despite their respective flaws. Bethesda can, and really should, do better.
  33. May 31, 2016
    As much as I hate the abbreviated conversations and linear quests, Fallout 4 is still entertaining. Nowhere near New Vegas though. Good action, world exploration and base building. Too bad it's harder to role play in it than previous Fallout games. Hardly any skill checks at all. No branching conversations/quests to speak of. I hate playing as the character Bethesda wants me to play as. IAs much as I hate the abbreviated conversations and linear quests, Fallout 4 is still entertaining. Nowhere near New Vegas though. Good action, world exploration and base building. Too bad it's harder to role play in it than previous Fallout games. Hardly any skill checks at all. No branching conversations/quests to speak of. I hate playing as the character Bethesda wants me to play as. I hate the whiny voiced protagonist. Want your character to sound like a hardened post-apocalyptic mercenary? Sorry, you're stuck with the default 30-year old nice-guy daddy.

Fallout 4 is a decent game that could have been great if it hadn't been crippled. It stands as a monument to what happens when a hardcore audience is ignored in order to appease casual gamers. Fallout is turning into COD, and I don't like it. If this is the way Bethesda keeps treating their loyal fans, then I'm not buying the next Elder Scrolls.
  34. Jun 7, 2016
    I Am a huge Fallout fan and I have also put many hours into this game and i have also gotten the platinum trophy, so i have pretty much seen almost all of what Fallout 4 has to offer. Although i do not think the game is bad i feel that it was a huge disappointment especially to the long time fans of the series.

I will say the game improved on it's combat system and added a great

I will say the game improved on it's combat system and added a great variety of weapon and armor mods and just overall had a really good crafting system. but other than that the RPG elements that made Fallout what it is are completely gone, the new dialogue system is is just completely dumbed down and it limits you to what you can say and it even points out which choices are good and bad and doesn't make you think about each choice the the older games. Also it was just a horrible idea to add a voice to you're character it makes you feel like your playing as someone else and just completely ruins the immersion.

The graphics in the game are nothing too special but one of my biggest issues with the gameplay is the constant fps drops, almost anytime i get into any sort of combat in this game the fps drops to a point where it can become unplayable . Also to mention for a current gen game it has very long loading times whenever you enter/exit a building or when you fast travel.

Despite what i said i don't think Fallout 4 is a bad game, i just thought it was a huge disappointment especially compared to Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
  35. May 13, 2016
    Have always enjoyed the Fallout Franchise but alas this rendition has fallen short. Honestly I was able to easily walk away from this game numerous times for other games. It took me about 6 months to actually finish the game, thanks to the total lack of a compelling storyline. The gameplay feels very stale and outdated and the graphics are extremely outdated, they really don't feel muchHave always enjoyed the Fallout Franchise but alas this rendition has fallen short. Honestly I was able to easily walk away from this game numerous times for other games. It took me about 6 months to actually finish the game, thanks to the total lack of a compelling storyline. The gameplay feels very stale and outdated and the graphics are extremely outdated, they really don't feel much improved from Fallout 3 to be honest. I would recommend waiting for the definitive version of the game to be released with all the DLC included and picking up at the much lower price. Bethesda needs to up their game big time for the next Fallout. Expand
  36. May 9, 2016
    There's plenty to do in Fallout 4 but after several hours of gameplay its fallen flat, and its just not that much fun to play. I really enjoyed fallout 3, Skyrim and Oblivion but fallout 4 doesn't capture the same magic or awesome "holy ****!" moments. Bethesda games usually have something for everyone, but thats not the case with Fallout 4.

Many elements are just not quite right and

Many elements are just not quite right and the culmination is a mediocre gaming experience. The story is...okay it suffers a slow start and poor exposition but its a decent enough hook. The dialogue wheel/menu is terrible: misleading and the answers dull, it feels like a step back from the silent protagonist of previous games. A poor Mass Effect/Dragon Age imitator in this respect. The Bethesda formula feels tired and old and there isn't enough to make the gaming feel fresh.

The settlements are clunky and the quest line boring. All the factions have overwhelming flaws that rather than nuanced flaws or politics which makes you want to not root for anyone. The side quests are uninteresting.

In terms of the way it runs, It has the same old Bethesda clunky menus and average graphics, which are more difficult to overlook when the rest of the game is less polished. The loading times are long and frequent.

I'm giving up on this one for a while. I may come back to it and just play like an out and out shooter because thats the game's best attribute.

If you just wanna climb into some power armour and blow everything to pieces then go for it, I think you'll have a blast, but if you're looking for a more complete role playing experience look elsewhere!
  37. May 13, 2016
    This a great game. The story is passable, the game play is good, the world is also well build if not a little to same-y. What elevates the game is how you experience the world and are free to explore it. Everything else is really secondary to the wonderful hours of wandering blissfully through several environments.It may not have any high points but the game is a very good chillThis a great game. The story is passable, the game play is good, the world is also well build if not a little to same-y. What elevates the game is how you experience the world and are free to explore it. Everything else is really secondary to the wonderful hours of wandering blissfully through several environments.It may not have any high points but the game is a very good chill experience. There are several problems though. The levels are uninspired and after 3 hours everything from then on is basically copy-pasted. The action RPG nature also means at the beginning of the game you have a ton of options but as the game goes on you are forced into one style of play unable to adapt to the situation. It basically is just a really smooth time sink of a game that starts great but gets more boring the longer you play it. Expand
  38. Oct 12, 2016
    It's a good shooter, but a bad RPG. Dialogue system? Oversimplified. Music? Not as good as New Vegas. Weapons.....Okay those are good..... the Graphics are okay....BUT THEY MESSED THE ONE PERFECT THING UP ABOUT THE FALLOUT GAMES.....THE STORY! IT'S LIKE FALLOUT 3 BUT CRAPPIER! But at least the game is sitll a little fun.
  39. Jun 22, 2017
    When I heard about Fallout 4 I was all aboard the hype train and when we got the game lets just say I was more than just a little disappointed. I am going to go ahead and say right off the bat fallout 4 is a "Good game" It's perfect for those who are just entering the series and it is overall very smooth and enjoyable. However I am a big fan and when I found out that they took away almostWhen I heard about Fallout 4 I was all aboard the hype train and when we got the game lets just say I was more than just a little disappointed. I am going to go ahead and say right off the bat fallout 4 is a "Good game" It's perfect for those who are just entering the series and it is overall very smooth and enjoyable. However I am a big fan and when I found out that they took away almost all RPG elements out of the game I was horrified. Chat dialogue you were given 4 basic choices "Yes, Sarcastic Yes, Detailed Yes, and No...which turns out to be YES most of the time." Besides making player choice and illusion the game delivered on most of everything I had expected. Good fluent combat, great perk system, detailed customization for weapons and armour.

Overall I would say its a good buy. Some people may vote this game lower but I believe it is worth it. Especially to those who aren't familiar to the series. However for your loyal fallout fan. I am afraid to say you will be sorely disappointed. The game is becoming a lot more "mainstream" and "casual" to broaden the player base. Money over fans. Always remember that.
  40. Aug 14, 2017
    Honestly, I clocked over 200 hours on this game. Not for the "RPG" or the "Story" part, but for the exploration part. Exploring the many locations of the game and trying to discover the hidden story of the location. What happened. Why/how these people died. This was the most interesting part of the game and luckily for me there were plenty of them. But let's face it. This is not why youHonestly, I clocked over 200 hours on this game. Not for the "RPG" or the "Story" part, but for the exploration part. Exploring the many locations of the game and trying to discover the hidden story of the location. What happened. Why/how these people died. This was the most interesting part of the game and luckily for me there were plenty of them. But let's face it. This is not why you buy a fallout game (if you ever buy one again on face value).

What I liked in older fallout games was the struggle, the lack of resources, the unwelcome environment, the fear of not measuring up to the enemies ahead. This gave you motivation to search more, to look into every part of the game to find resources, to find weapons, to open every locked container, to sneak around, to maximize everything you can. Searching for every dialog option in order to get this special info in order to solve a delicate situation.

And after grinding for the whole game in order to find the ultimate weapon and/or the only power armor becoming OP and getting rewarded for your tenacity. After solving a lot of quests, finally getting the acceptance of a town/city. After investing into your character opening those special secret places by either lockpick, speech or hacking. Learning a secret backstory by way of speech.

In this game, I don't know. This game is totally lacking all of these things. It seems that Bethesda doesn't get it.

Story... HA... what story!?
    This was a mess. The whole concept was idiotic at least. I don't know who comes up with this story, but it's ridiculous. Suggestion, get people that play pen-n-paper role-play games. Get a Dungeon Master that is experienced in creating gripping stories. That's why the older games had better stories, the people making these games had experience in creating stories.

RPG elements... HA... what RPG?!
    Trying to move to the new era of "spoken dialog", killed the RPG elements. Again, people creating RPGs MUST play pen-n-paper RPGs. Live the moment. Use your imagination. Become the character. AND THEN create a game and give the option to the player to become their own character!

- What is this character's motivation?
    - They killed his partner and son
    - Meh, I don't care...
    and you've lost the player from the start.

This game lacks cohesion. Lacks depth.

I meet some people at a museum. They instantly trust me. Why?! They have had so much trouble for a long time, they SHOULDN'T TRUST ME by principle. I could kill them all, and I want to kill them, but the game protects them. And one quest later they praise me like I'm god and make me their leader. It's a story for 5 year olds.

The factions in this game are so silly. None of the factions seem attractive. Looking at the game seems like the creators didn't empathize with the factions.

One one side you have the militaristic dictators. On the other the communists that wait for you to save them. Then you have the anarchists/SJWs. And lastly the science-biatches with no morality.

Each faction is a caricature of reality and there's no reasoning behind their actions. Every action is superficial. I was waiting for a deeper meaning, but there's none and I think this is a reflection of the creators. If you are superficial in life, your creations will reflect that.

The Graphics... OH NO...
    Bethesda are invested in an obviously outdated technology. They have invested a lot into this graphics engine and this engine is limited. The graphics, physics and everything related might be an improvement compared to the older games, but it's nowhere near the AAA games like uncharted, last of us, horizon etc.

Other than the disappointment of what it could have been, this game felt great as an FPS game, compared to Fallout 3 and New Vegas (don't get me wrong). I did enjoy the FPS action. After a hard day at work, it was relaxing to open up fallout 4 and shoot a few baddies, explore a new location and clean it up. In this rate of playing, the pace was good and the action satisfying. But I imagine if someone played this game full time, he/she would have been bored.

Overall a disappointing game and I hope Bethesda gets the message and improve, but probably wont. If you're looking for a good RPG, play Witcher 3, and/or Pillars of Eternity.
  41. Jun 20, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Over one year ago Fallout 4 was shown at E3 2015. Everyone was excited and waiting for this game for too long. Problem is: it is worth it? Guys, since first video it was possible to understand the route taken by Bethesda. But I waited this game with hype anyway, thinking that things could go better.

Plot: in my opinion the best thing done in the game. The start in a pre-Great War period didn't excited me, but I must say that it worked enough and it's definitely well done. The second phase, in the Vault, is just only necessary to the plot but quite flat and it is not how to live your life in Vault 101 in Fallout 3. In Vault 111, here, you go in and get out...210 years later. I also liked this thematic: the poetic of man out of time, but that walks side by side to it. Evading death, thanks to hibernation, but still find yourself in a completely changed world, because despite you've cheated death, you can't fool time. The changes you have to face, being unable to be the master of your fate. The need to be prepared for the future, despite all the odds. Time has run its road: in fact, during all of hibernation, events of all previous Fallout happened. This "retcon" is very nice and I loved it. Then if in Fallout 3 we had a son looking for his father, here is the opposite, and this is fascinating. Thematic about AI's freedom is also good and always beautiful. What is alive? What it means to be truly alive? I'm alive because I'm human...or "Cogito ergo sum" - "I think, therefore I am" just as René Descartes said. I believe that every sentient being, and capable of self-determination, deserve to live, whatever it is its nature. Plot twists and memorable moments are not lacking: the fact that your son, Shaun, is "Father", was really nice (perhaps predictable). Arrival of the Brotherhood of Steel in the Commonwealth is great, and the epic journey in Glowing Sea is absolutely fantastic. Plot was the only thing that really push me to play Fallout 4 and I have to say that, anyway you think about it, it was very beautiful.

Fallout 4's gameplay isn't great. Needless to say how the RPG component has been sadly reduced by much. The difficulty at the beginning of Fallout 3 was very high, in Fallout 4 it is all too simple. Only two hours and you already get a power armor and defeat a bloody deathclaw. Unthinkable: I consider this is a lack of respect for the game itself. It isn't no more necessary to repair weapons and armor as they are indestructible, and this also is terribly bad. V.A.T.S. in slow motion doesn't seem anything special, and improved FPS component is good but it overwhelmed the RPG component. Less RPG, more action. And it's blasphemy for Fallout. Weapons and armor's crafting is fun and useful, but recycled materials that you pick up around the world are quite useless if you can't use it to repair them. Power armor's management is well done, and I liked it. Even clothing system is good and free in choice. The map is big enough to explore and there are interesting locations, including my favorite, the Glowing Sea, very well made, a clear reference to The Glow of the first chapter. I faced problems in finding side quests, which seem strangely only few, although some are as beautiful as that of the USS Constitution, Cabot House, and absolutely wonderful the Paladin Danse's companion quest. Companion's management and relationship is quite good but they can't die...another easy thing. The management of skills using the talents and the new skill-tree is just bad, you can also freely edit the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and it makes the game less RPG and easier. New dialog system isn't good and too much simplified, and voiced protagonist sounds strange. The management of settlements is one more thing, but doesn't add much to the gameplay. This kind of gameplay is clearly too much influenced by Skyrim.

Fallout 4 is graphically enough nice, surely not Next-Gen. Creation Engine is still too anchored to the past and so the graphics it isn't very high. But there is a great attention to detail in weapons, power armors, electronic components and all scenario's objects. Less powerful graphics engine for a greater attention to detail. The more colorful art direction, in the Commonwealth, is not bad. Inon Zur's soundtrack is pretty good, and classic songs in the game are very beautiful and varied.

Fallout 4. If not for the plot, and for a few advantages, I would hardly played it 200+ hours. It's the weakest Fallout's chapter, due to gameplay's simplification and ease. It's not the Fallout game that we were waiting for 7 years...but that's what we have. At this point you have to wonder if they can do worse in the future, but I can say that Bethesda isn't making RPGs better. Todd Howard was wrong. Today's gaming industry is wrong. Real RPGs are almost gone, and the ease of the damn casual gamers is just bad. But yet I didn't lost hope and I continue to play. Because they can take away good games, but not my will to love them.
  42. Aug 16, 2016
    Oh, Fallout 4... what is there to say about this game?

Oh, Fallout 4... what is there to say about this game?

Perhaps, first and foremost, that Bethesda had some tough luck with the hype around Fallout 4. Mix in the vitriol that surrounds most of the fan communities for Bethesda games, AND the controversies of script releases and the fake release countdown site... all of the press release wasn't exactly beneficial to the game. And, in the minds of everyone - Wasteland Wanderer and Newblood alike - Fallout 4 was sounding like the perfect mesh between first person shooter and RPG, prepared to blow Fallouts 3 and New Vegas out of the water in every regard.

...Aaaaaand what the game turn out to be?

A decent open-world shooter, with a few Role Playing elements shoved in for good measure.

That isn't to say that Fallout 4 is a BAD game, no sirree Bob; in fact, as a game in itself, it's a rather GOOD game! Nothing spectacular, but a good game! The mechanics in use are solid; the crafting systems for weapons, armor, and base building are very well-developed (aside from a few issues with placing base materials, which torments the obsessive personality within me), and can give the player a grand diversion from the rest of the game, if not be the main focus for a player. Seriously, going out into the harsh wasteland to find a couple of tubes of Wonderglue can be one hell of a motivator for popping raiders' heads.

The shooting is better than it's ever been in a Fallout game; I can't quite compare it to anything in particular, but people have been throwing around comparisons to Rage's shooting system. I wouldn't know.

Speaking of shooting, there are quite a few interesting weapons this time around, with actual potential for people to go into melee builds! In fact, what with power armor being such an accessible mechanic of the game, it's recommended to know something about melee weapons; bladed bats, chainsaws, super-sledges, and combat knives are all found in the nooks and crannies of the wasteland, as are all manner of guns, both of bullet and energy capacity.

And, if you want to get the most out of Fallout 4, exploring those hidden places of the world will be a BIG part of your experience. Like in the change from Oblivion to Skyrim, more of an emphasis on exploration exists in Fallout 4, with many beneficiary items being scattered about the place, like magazines and... well, magazines. They're a nice bonus to exploration, if a little monotonous

But THEN we get to the not-so-good.

If you've been anywhere on the internet related to games, you've probably heard about Fallout 4's story, and how people aren't quite digging it. Or, at the very least, how they wish it had been more comparable to the likes of New Vegas, or the earlier isometric games. Fallout 4's narrative - while passable - gives the player very little choice in driving the bus, and its character... a surprising amount of motivation, actually.
    He/She is led along a relatively narrow - albeit enjoyable - path, leading to a couple of endings that depend on a choice of factions. Nothing really stands out in this campaign, aside from a few interesting setpieces that the player catches in the face. They ARE rather enjoyable, however.

The dialogue has also taken a few wounds this time around; no doubt you've heard consumer's contempt over the new system. This time around, players get something close to a dialogue wheel, reminiscent of Mass Effect's general system. The options for you boil down to:
    -Good Guy/Girl Choice
    -Inquisitive Choice (with potential for SECOND inquisitive choice *le gasp*)
    -Douchebag Choice/Sarcastic Choice/Profiteering Choice
    -Leave
    And this would be fine! If it weren't the layout for nearly...every...single......'conversation'.
    Effectively, is it any different from the older Fallouts? Not really. You're still left with a limited number of conversational topics, and very little need to converse with somebody after you've exhausted those topics.
    However - because there's so little weight to the player's 'decisions' in Fallout 4 - even the decisions that SHOULD feel like they're important don't make the player feel like they've done something! "Oh, lead the Minutemen? Cool." "What? Join the Railroad? Nah." "Kill this potential synth? Okay, sure, buuutt.... what's the point?"

And then, you have the quests. They're... for the most part, unimaginative. A few faction quests can feel interesting, and the odd side quest can be very fun to mess around in, but the vast majority are uninspired. Also, with all of the factions, there is an abundance of radiant quests... and these radiant quests make up the majority of the faction-related content. Not necessarily a BAD thing, but, again, there's only a bit of decision making found in the end of the game; otherwise, you're just the errand boy/girl for these groups.

TL;DR: Fallout 4 is an enjoyable, open-world shooter set in the Fallout universe, with a heavier focus on FPS gameplay than RPG mechanics. It's fun, but... not a great RPG.
  43. May 19, 2016
    buen juego, excelente historia, no es un juego corto, puedes rejugarlo varias veces, es adictivo, grandes acompañantes, emmm..¿Misiones secundarias? okey en este punto la misiones secundarias como son la de salvar regiones de sobrevivientes haciéndoles favores como matar carroñeros, matar ghouls, mutantes etc. se vuelve un juego tedioso, repetitivo, realmente que molesto son estasbuen juego, excelente historia, no es un juego corto, puedes rejugarlo varias veces, es adictivo, grandes acompañantes, emmm..¿Misiones secundarias? okey en este punto la misiones secundarias como son la de salvar regiones de sobrevivientes haciéndoles favores como matar carroñeros, matar ghouls, mutantes etc. se vuelve un juego tedioso, repetitivo, realmente que molesto son estas "misiones secundarias" claro hay misiones muy buenas como lo es "la casa de la brujería" pero hay varios puntos en donde el juego cae en repetir una y otra vez la misma cosa, ademas de la cantidad grandes de partes en el juego que se realentiza de una forma fatal. Expand
  44. May 22, 2016
    Después de jugar mas de 300 horas a Fallout 4, viendo todas sus posibilidades, o la mayoría principales, he de decir que nos encontramos con un gran juego prostituido para las nuevas masas de jugadores. No estoy infravalorando a dichos jugadores, sino echando la culpa a la compañía Bethesda por hacer de un juego de superveniencia/rpg con toques de acción a un titulo de acción conDespués de jugar mas de 300 horas a Fallout 4, viendo todas sus posibilidades, o la mayoría principales, he de decir que nos encontramos con un gran juego prostituido para las nuevas masas de jugadores. No estoy infravalorando a dichos jugadores, sino echando la culpa a la compañía Bethesda por hacer de un juego de superveniencia/rpg con toques de acción a un titulo de acción con conversaciones tristes de contenido y haciendo mas intuitiva la subida de niveles (quitando el sistema anterior del 3 y el NV y eliminando perks/habilidades de anteriores sagas) por ejemplo, y entramos en la conclusión que la esencia RPG queda en los lugares que descubrir (son muchísimos, no se la cifra exacta pero entre 400) y la variedad de armas y armaduras, aparte que la supervivencia se ve reducida por no decir eliminada por la cantidad absurda que hay de munición, estimulantes, y mas objetos que hacen que la experiencia sea menos inmersa.
    Tenemos aparte un modo para construir nuestra ciudad (con limites) y poder decorar, reclutar a gente, defendedlos, aliméntalos, etc. Este modo extenderá la vida útil del juego ya que hay localizaciones donde nos dejan construir que están muy chulas y podemos hacer volar nuestra imaginación, pero como punto malo a veces falla la colisión de los objetos al colocarlos en el sitio que deseas.
    Otro punto a comentar positivo son la compatibilidad de mods para pc Y CONSOLAS, cosa que nunca se había visto antes de forma "legal" (es decir sin piratear la consola), otra opción que alarga la vida del juego y nos pueden dar un montón de utilidades (he de decir que en consolas a día que escribo esto no ha sido complementado a la versión de dichas plataformas, en este caso ps4 y xone, con esto quiero decir que si hay errores o no funciona bien y es poco practico con errores habrá quejas por mi parte y bajara la nota ya que es algo que prometieron.
    Ahora solo tengo dos puntos mas que comentar en este caso negativos, aparte de la prostitución de dicho juego, nos encontramos con un juego técnicamente poco cuidado gráficamente, con alguna caída de fps (no muy grave en la versión de ps4, al menos ami), y una cantidad de bugs insana.
    Y por ultimo decir que la esencia Fallout esta pero desaparece en ocasiones ya que muchas misiones son de repetir una y otra vez lo mismo, sin un peso argumental consistente y que te haga meditar como en anteriores (hay que comentar que las misiones que te asignan las facciones y que son infinitas siempre serán lo mismo que es por lo que me quejo, pero sin olvidar que hace que haya misiones hasta que te aburras de jugar y que alguna a lo mejor, no siempre, te manda a un sitio que no has visitado.

En conclusión nos encontramos con un gran juego con grandes fallos que hacen que la experiencia de juego se vea reducida, pero aun así no quita que sea una experiencia única y que tengamos muchos contenido y que podemos aumentar comprando el pase de temporada, que creo que en un juego de este tamaño con el tiempo que te regala de diversión lo justifica solo.
  45. Jun 14, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:

-Combat is greatly improved
    -Nick Valentine (This dude is one of my favorite companions in all of the Fallout games)
    -The companion affinity system is actually pretty cool
    -SOME quests were actually pretty good
    -A lot more enemies to fight
    -Settlement building can be fun at times
    -Female voice actor for the player character is pretty good

Cons:
    -Lack of meaningful side quests
    -The male voice actor just seems bored when talking which in turn makes me feel bored
    -All of the factions are terrible and they make you want to claw your eyes out when having to "choose" one of them.
    -The ending was very underwhelming leaving the player with a 'now what?' feeling
    -Too much emphasis placed on settlement building with very little return on it
    -Dialogue wheel was an all around bad idea
    -Voiced protagonist breaks immersion more than you would think
    -New perk system was a huge step back
    -Can't be an evil character, the worst you can be a sarcastic good guy/girl
    -Not much replay value because of the lack of any real choice

Overall, it wasn't exactly a bad game, just not a great game. I feel like Fallout 4 had so much potential that was promptly wasted by Bethesda trying to re-invent the wheel.
  46. Jan 10, 2017
    (sorry for my English).This game is not an RPG,this game is CoD in the open world.All that remains of the RPG Fallout 4 is pumping casual and dialogues (dumb dialogues) with choice questions, which are almost no influence on the development of the plot and / or the relationship with the characters. I understand that Fallout 4-action- RPG, and do not ask this game such a high level RPG(sorry for my English).This game is not an RPG,this game is CoD in the open world.All that remains of the RPG Fallout 4 is pumping casual and dialogues (dumb dialogues) with choice questions, which are almost no influence on the development of the plot and / or the relationship with the characters. I understand that Fallout 4-action- RPG, and do not ask this game such a high level RPG component in The Elder Scrolls games, Dragon Age: Origins, Witcher, but still the game is positioned as an RPG in an open world with elements of action, and I already mentioned above, all that is left of the RPG in Fallout 4 is pumping and casual conversations with options otvetov.Total: an RPG, this game s**ks on all fronts, as a shooter, do not believe it, too (shooting worse than ever), even Fallout 4 as a single game is very disappointing for me at least, and if we compare it with the earlier parts of the series, you are doubly disappointed.P.S.The plot in this game, you will also probably not be remembered, side quests even though sometimes there are varied, but for the most part side quests are similar and you will perform the typical tasks of the type that you have to steal something, someone beat or something like this.The only thing in this game is made at the highest level, it's the atmosphere, whereby a pleasant stay in the world of Fallout 4, but it pales against the backdrop of all the other downsides of this game. Expand
  47. Jul 22, 2017
    After playing through Fallout 4 I turned right around the next day and played New Vegas for the first time, and MY GOD does Fallout 4 SUCK in comparison! I was blown away by how much more options you have to complete quests and play in a particular way in New Vegas compared to Fallout 4. Why did this series regress so much?? Fallout 4 is a huge step backward from New Vegas, and I thinkAfter playing through Fallout 4 I turned right around the next day and played New Vegas for the first time, and MY GOD does Fallout 4 SUCK in comparison! I was blown away by how much more options you have to complete quests and play in a particular way in New Vegas compared to Fallout 4. Why did this series regress so much?? Fallout 4 is a huge step backward from New Vegas, and I think Obsidian should be the only company making Fallout games from now on. There was so much more charm, thought, and passion put into New Vegas than Fallout 4 and that's depressing. I appreciated simple things in NV like enemies running away when they're about to die instead of always fighting to the death. You'll find nothing that could be described as "thoughtful" in Fallout 4.. It's pathetic how little Bethesda clearly cared about making this game good, and how much better New Vegas is than Fallout 4. Expand
  48. Nov 11, 2017
    Over all, the gameplay is pretty good. Its nothing too special but its decent. The story is somewhat compelling, but the world doesn't have the humour of past iterations. What really made me stop playing this game was the town building and the minutemen stuff. I found it incredibly distracting and annoying and the game kind of forces the mechanic on you. In the end, it just had no funOver all, the gameplay is pretty good. Its nothing too special but its decent. The story is somewhat compelling, but the world doesn't have the humour of past iterations. What really made me stop playing this game was the town building and the minutemen stuff. I found it incredibly distracting and annoying and the game kind of forces the mechanic on you. In the end, it just had no fun factor for me, that aspect, and tainted the rest of the experience. If that doesn't break the experience for you, then its an alright grind fest. Expand
  49. Jan 31, 2018
    Got this game on sale and i'm glad I did. I can't believe this is rated 87 overall.

-A poor PS4 port -Big frame rate issues, especially when you enter combat with a large number of enemies -Outdated Graphics, the graphics on Fallout 3 and New Vegas aren't that different from this -Outdated Mechanics, it doesn't even feel like you weapon does any damage, the jumping is obsurd, the VAT

-A poor PS4 port
    -Outdated Mechanics, it doesn't even feel like you weapon does any damage, the jumping is obsurd, the VAT is consistently buggy, enemies can start attacking you even before you leave the loading screen and the mechanics are really not that different from Skyrim and any other of the old Fallout games
    -It's boring, an open world that feels lifeless, most of the quests seemed to follow the same pattern of kill enemies, find an item, go back to quest giver REPEAT.
    -No RPG elements

Just a mess of a game I have no idea how these "experts" rated this game so high.
  50. Jan 20, 2018
    A dumbed down fallout 3 with less story, fewer choices, fewer interesting characters, and more bugs. Some missions shine through, like the one where you help repair a Chinese submarine, but most are basically go to to place, shoot some people, and grab their stuff. If you are looking for a detailed story with interesting characters and branching story lines, you're better of downloading mods.
  51. Feb 2, 2018
    I think one word can really describe this game: Forgettable.

I think one word can really describe this game: Forgettable.

While there are a few quests that have something interesting going on, almost all of them boil down to "kill this" or "get this item for me". The first few hours are a lot of fun, the gun-play mechanics seem responsive but after clearing out area after area of ghouls/raiders/gunners it begins to feel extremely repetitive. I found myself wandering the wastes many times hoping to find something new to do only to be met with the same stuff I have been doing, killing and fetching.

As an RPG series, it lacks pretty much everything that makes an RPG good. Right from the get-go you are stuck attending to your kidnapped child, and because of the voice acting for the player character it's obvious they care a lot about it. What if I don't? What if I want to go become the most evil person ever? These are things the Fallout series is known for, conveniently missing to help pander this game to an even bigger audience.

Of course there are bugs, but some of them made me just feel like the developers didn't care enough to check their product. Many of them relate to major functions of the game, why waste the time programming something that doesn't work? Everyone knows these games have a lot of mods for them, I'm beginning to suspect that they figured it would be cheaper to let modders fix the game for them. This is where I would recommend the PC version if you have to play, they have the console commands to fix almost every problem I met and better mod support.

All in all, a lot to see with nothing to do.
  52. Mar 15, 2018
    A very forgettable game and the worst fallout game so far. It got its good moments but the developers have taken the game in the wrong direction in a lot of instances. Overall I got mixed feeling about the game.

My main problem is that the game is much less like an RPG compared to other fallout games and that the voiced dialogue system gives you very few options to make the character feel like your own. And the world feels rather small and does not contain many exciting sites. On the other hand it got a lot more interesting characters than previous titles and the combat is better than ever.

It got a lot of content and you get a lot of enjoyment for your money. But at the same time it’s rather disappointing in many areas and it feels like a step back in a lot of ways compared to other fallout games. So in the end we get an open world shooter with a fallout exterior but lacking the true soul of a fallout game.
  53. Dec 6, 2015
    Played all the fallout games, new vegas twice, fallout 1 twice, fallout 2 three times. This game...what have you done bethesda?

Graphics are ok in my opinion. That's not what's bringing this game down. Here's what: * This is the first fallout game where I have not actually paid attention to any dialogue. I just spam X to get it over with. In previous games, a high intelligence,

* This is the first fallout game where I have not actually paid attention to any dialogue. I just spam X to get it over with. In previous games, a high intelligence, charisma, strength etc could win you options in dialogues. Now, it's just high charisma getting you more money. Wow.

* They've done something with the sound design, a character that's standing 1 meter away from you can't be heard. So I thought I'd enable subtitles. No **** half the dialogue is subbed, the rest not. Come on!

* Were you , just as I, spending 15 minutes when leveling up thinking about your next perkin the previous games? Or Skill? Forget it, in F4 all you want is right there from the get go. The special system? Why bother spending time on it as charisma is overpowered and you can add points EVERY SINGLE LEVEL UP!

* Mini-map. messy.

* Each and every quest is not solvable by anything other than violence or you having a high enough charisma that you can speak someone out of it. No creative ways of dealing with missions, they are so bland the game felt like a chore.

* Performance in some areas is pure bull****

* The open world is bland and boring. Not many memorable locations, it's all dead and not in the post apocalyptic way. There is no fallout soul.

* Story - don't get me started

* Legendary creatures? Come on!

anything good? Yes! The crafting system is fun, makes picking up all junk from previous games actually meaningful. Gunplay is satisfying. Intro music from previous games is the highlight of this game. It's enjoyable, if you haven't played the other games. In comparison to New Vegas, this is several steps back. What a shame
  54. Dec 1, 2015
    I made a metacritic just to review this. I had pre-ordered this game as soon as it was announced with the collector's edition, to be honest, I don't regret it all. I have been a fan of the franchise for 6 years, and have played Fallout (1), Fallout 3, and New Vegas, all of which I loved. But the game was not what I thought it would be. What bothered me the most, was the dumbing down of theI made a metacritic just to review this. I had pre-ordered this game as soon as it was announced with the collector's edition, to be honest, I don't regret it all. I have been a fan of the franchise for 6 years, and have played Fallout (1), Fallout 3, and New Vegas, all of which I loved. But the game was not what I thought it would be. What bothered me the most, was the dumbing down of the dialog, less RPG-ness, and just the boring story. I am not going to tell you that FO3 had a great story, but you'd think Bethesda would've learned something from Obsidian with New Vegas. The story was just too linear, restrictive, and generic. There's not much space to use your imagination with your character, they are set individuals with set personalities. In NV (even FO3) if you wanted to make a psychopathic cowboy arsonist (or just a really evil person) it could make sense, here your character is a normal dude/ lady with an average life living in the suburbs, so it wouldn't add up. It also takes away from the immersive-ness. As for dialog, your options are yes, no, sarcastic, and ask question. This was the most annoying thing, considering previous FO games had many options, some even requiring skill level in barter, guns, speech, etc. FO4 just color indicates an option (based on your charisma) that may/ may not give you XP, no actual number or percentage. The change in perk/ skill system does not bother me so much because I like to play jack of all trades characters, but it may be more difficult for other types, especially with the harder to find ammo. I am hoping in the future that Bethesda does not dumb down dialog in the Elder Scrolls series. Character creation was uncomfortable for me but it's not bad. I prefer the sliders to be honest. Now, the game isn't bad but it wasn't as amazing as I'd thought it would be. It felt like I was playing a continuation of FO3, with slightly better graphics, more weapon mods, armor mods, and settlement construction. As for glitches and frame rate, the frame rate gets cruddy every now. As for the glitches, I had a game breaking one when I made my second character but I just had to reinstall it to fix it. Although I don't love this game as much as the previous ones, I have still put in a lot of hours. The game offers tons of hours in gameplay with pretty good side-quests and even just roaming around. There's a lot replay- ability. So in conclusion, it's worth a purchase but it's just shallower than its predecessors.

TLDR: If you are a fan of the series, you'll probably be disappointed but if you are new, you'll probably enjoy it. The Fallout world is an amazing and addicting one but this wasn't the Fallout I had waited for so long.
  55. Jan 30, 2016
    Fallout 4 is a step back from Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and really shows that Bethesda has failed to innovate much in terms of their game engine, graphics, or gameplay. What they do is pretty cool, but it is becoming stale. And in the wake of The Witcher 3, the bad story and lack of any meaningful choices is made that much more glaring. That said, I had fun, but this could have been so muchFallout 4 is a step back from Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and really shows that Bethesda has failed to innovate much in terms of their game engine, graphics, or gameplay. What they do is pretty cool, but it is becoming stale. And in the wake of The Witcher 3, the bad story and lack of any meaningful choices is made that much more glaring. That said, I had fun, but this could have been so much more, and I genuinely hope that Bethesda will learn from their mistakes - instead of just swimming in their cash - and deliver the next Elder Scrolls game with upgrades and improvements across the board. Expand
  56. Feb 9, 2016
    Months prior to its November 2015 release, Bethesda finally revealed the game avid fallout fans had been anticipating for years, some even up to a half-decade. The official announcement delivered courtesy of Todd Howard was grand. The hype train roared across the internet. Some, like myself, just had that feeling: that this was the one, the game we had been waiting our entire lives toMonths prior to its November 2015 release, Bethesda finally revealed the game avid fallout fans had been anticipating for years, some even up to a half-decade. The official announcement delivered courtesy of Todd Howard was grand. The hype train roared across the internet. Some, like myself, just had that feeling: that this was the one, the game we had been waiting our entire lives to play, an RPG masterpiece with "Fallout" aptly tagged on the title.

Sadly, this is not a Fallout game. It is designed for gamers of the first person shooter persuasion, catering to the lowest common denominator in lieu of fans of the series. FO4 is an FPS first and an RPG last. And to boot, as is typical of contemporary Bethesda, story and plot were given little care or thought. Nothing branches out or even stands out. Choices are limited. Flare, intrigue, artistic and/or literary risk, all null.

There are praiseworthy elements. Your brain will release dopamine while playing this lengthy title. But at some point during your adventure set in post-apocalyptic Boston, 50 hours, 20 hours, maybe even 5 hours, you will have an epiphany: that Fallout 4 is a barren wasteland. I mean that both literally and metaphorically. See, Fallout 4 has no soul. Open-world is (was) Bethesda's specialty, but this latest iteration by the developers of Skyrim is a shallow sandbox devoid of personality and emotion.

Open world Boston is decently big, rich in places to explore, and yet there is nothing to do bar aiming your gun and pulling the trigger. You go to a new place and then get shot at by the denizens of New England. And then you shoot back. That is the crux of Fallout 4.

The customization of your gear was highly emphasized in Bethesda's advertising. Howard's silver-tongued slander. The amount of guns you can customize are actually quite slim, and although numerous mods can be attached there is always a best, singular option. Armor options are also very limited. The diversity is as incrementally uninspired as that of vanilla skyrim. Progressive pieces lack variety and chic aesthetic appeal. Unique armors are present, but most are bland and/or inferior. Fashion is a rarity in post-apocalyptic Boston.

My antidote and opinion, yes, but if you were a fan of previous Fallout games you will notice quickly and harshly that the original RPG formula has been tampered with and denigrated. Bethesda elected to surgically eviscerate player "Skills," tying character progression and level growth to the accumulation of perks. You can also max out your SPECIAL traits. Depending upon your preferences, abandoning "skills" was big news before the November 10th, 2015 release. Good or bad or neutral news. Some fans were worried about the architecture of leveling in general. Others were not swayed. They had faith in Bethesda. Unfortunately, the concerns regarding the leveling system were justified. Most perks serve only to bolster your character's weapon damage or damage resistance. There is no jaw-dropping perk nor any creativity. Worse, because Bethesda nullified "Skills" and allows you to pump all SPECIAL traits at will, diversity in character design no longer influence the Fallout experience. Cookie-cutter characters galore. No deviations, no reason to play as a medic, or scientist, or mechanic. In fact, scavenging for weapons and armor to make repairs, which was a big deal in previous entries, is no more. Rarely do you ever come across a story or conversational situation where only a specially designed character can accomplish some sort of specialized feat. For example, across my first (and last) play through there was only one encounter where a certain amount of intelligence was required to do something. In this case, during a fix/fetch quest I needed 10 intelligence to repair some gizmo on the spot. That, or I would have to make a hike elsewhere to another location and retrieve a replacement. Because I did have a 10 in Intelligence (along with a few others with all the rest pending) I saved myself a trip. It was not very compelling.

RPG elements are sparse. In fact, they have been all but been abandoned, replaced by redundant instant gratification in the form of aiming down your iron sights and pulling the trigger. Enemies are more than a little common. Raiders have set up shop everywhere, and every single one of them is hostile. Gunners too. No chitchat. No conversations. No choices. Absolutely no option to join a raider gang or start one of your own.

Choices & karma, these are absent in Fallout 4. The latter would not have been an issue if moral gray and ambiguity were more prevailing themes, but sadly the framework of a Bethesda story is about as complicated and poorly paced as a teenage fanfic. Factions are about as bare bones and one-dimensional as hollywood protagonists and antagonists. As usual, Bethesda cannot stray from a black and white story.

Black and white and forgettable. That is FO4. Good and bad and quite ugly.
  57. Apr 21, 2016
    Should have been a fallout spin off 3rd person action game, the RPG elements of the game have been dumbed to near nothing, its the illusion of choice. Feel like I would have enjoyed the game better if I knew it was so linear and just gave me a character to play as with no interacting with the dialog and was just cut scenes.

If future games like the elder scrolls and the next fallout

If future games like the elder scrolls and the next fallout games follow down the same path as this one I think if you really love role playing as a character your not going to find it here anymore.
  58. Jan 17, 2016
    first person shooter + sims =)
    where is FALLOUT?! нужно купить иконы, какие-нибудь, и молиться ... вдруг Obsidian еще какой New-... выдаст. но надежда умирает ..
  59. Mar 5, 2016
    Fallout 4 looks like it was made four years ago, a lot of the textures and character skins are just bad for current generation standards. The sky's pretty, and the opening sequence at home is good-looking, but the innovated lighting effects are trite and overridden by bad world graphics. The protagonist dialogue wheel is boring and takes away from total immersion, (it's hard to feel like aFallout 4 looks like it was made four years ago, a lot of the textures and character skins are just bad for current generation standards. The sky's pretty, and the opening sequence at home is good-looking, but the innovated lighting effects are trite and overridden by bad world graphics. The protagonist dialogue wheel is boring and takes away from total immersion, (it's hard to feel like a bad guy when you're actually voiced by a guy who always sounds genuinely good-natured) I guess that's what Bethesda was going for, something a dude can play after he has people over to watch the Superbowl. It's an open world but I feel like I'm on rails because completing certain quests really forces the storyline and world to change. Fighting a deathclaw in power armor 15 minutes in is lame. Feels like Bethesda development wanted people to rush through this game that they put years into. A lot of the quests are ham-fisted and lazy, like Bethesda was going for World of Warcraft grinding design through through simple, repetitive quests. The story is solid, but after 20+ hours I just don't care anymore. Expand
  60. Dec 8, 2015
    Bethesda is in a very unique position as a developer, as time and time again, they get praised and excused for practices that other developers would get reamed for.

In terms of what I liked, the shooting is by far the best it has ever felt in the series, so when things inevitably fall into shootouts, attacking is simple and satisfying, whether you rely on V.A.T.S or your own skill. Being a Fallout game, there is a ton to do that will distract you from the main questline for hours on end, and there's a large world to explore to that end (though not quite as big as Bethesda would want you to believe). In addition, the art style is great. I'm very glad that developers are learning how to make apocalyptic games that have a colour palet besides brown.

That being said, this game has a myriad of problems that are being ignored. The main quest is completely boring and uninteresting. It's supposed to be this story of revenge and finding what you've lost, yet immediately after I left the Vault, I stopped caring. This probably has something to do with the fact that, in a huge mistake, Bethesda decided to try and make the player in Fallout 4 an actual character, even giving them a voice actor to that end. In doing that, Fallout 4 loses a lot of charm that previous games had; since the main character has to be a real human being, they can't be saying the hilariously dumb lines you could use in previous games.

Speaking of which, the dialogue has been dumbed down considerably. Which is a major issue for someone like me, who gets the most enjoyment out of Fallout from the dialogue. Due to the main character having a voice actor, many of the lines that you could use in Fallout 3 and NV would sound ridiculous coming from an actual human being's mouth. Because of that, the wide range of dialogue has been reduced to 2 options for "yes," one option for "no," and one option for "What?". In addition, the dialogue wheel fails to properly convey what it is you're supposed to be saying. Frequently, a prompt will come up just saying "Sarcasm," and nothing else. Thanks, game. That's very descriptive. Finally, all of your traits used to matter to dialogue. You could use Strength to intimidate foes, Intelligence to outsmart, Charisma to charm. Now, Charisma is the only trait that matters, and special options are dumbed down to "Yellow for Easy, Red for Hard."

But what really does this game in for me is the bugs. Beyond monsters phasing into the Earth and character models doing some truly bizarre things, there are SEVERE frame rate drops (I'm talking 2-5 FPS), hard crashes, and quests that are in-completable because the dialogue necessary to complete the quest won't appear. If this happens in any other game, that is considered unforgivable, but people are willing to give this a pass because "it's Bethesda."

So there you have it. Don't get me wrong, there is enjoyment to be found here, but make no mistake: this game, in its current mechanical state, is not worth the full price tag. Beyond the dumbed down dialogue, boring story, repetitive side quests, and boring main character, the bugs alone should serve as a giant warning sign. Either wait for a patch or wait for a price drop, because Fallout 4 is not worth it.
  61. Jul 26, 2016
    Liked the game until the building crap started. If I wanted to build stuff (which I don't!) I would have bought Minecraft!! All the building DLC is crap as well!! I have no interest in building up settlements, taking care of whiny people, planting crops, etc. Bad move, Bethesda. And then to add insult to injury you come out with Wasteland Workshop - more building! I don't have timeLiked the game until the building crap started. If I wanted to build stuff (which I don't!) I would have bought Minecraft!! All the building DLC is crap as well!! I have no interest in building up settlements, taking care of whiny people, planting crops, etc. Bad move, Bethesda. And then to add insult to injury you come out with Wasteland Workshop - more building! I don't have time to sit around building stuff. I'm not nine years old nor am I Minecraft fan. You were just trying to score off the popularity of that game and it ruined yours! Expand
  62. Mar 22, 2016
    Fallout 4 is not a bad game. It is a bad RPG and a misdirected installment in the franchise. Still, many Bethesda fans or just players who enjoy exploring unfamiliar worlds will be satisfied with it, as it has one of the richest, most detailed game worlds ever created. Lore is presented to the player in different ways around every corner of the game world. Together with the masterfullyFallout 4 is not a bad game. It is a bad RPG and a misdirected installment in the franchise. Still, many Bethesda fans or just players who enjoy exploring unfamiliar worlds will be satisfied with it, as it has one of the richest, most detailed game worlds ever created. Lore is presented to the player in different ways around every corner of the game world. Together with the masterfully crafted sound design it will help immerse even newcomers in the interesting world of Fallout. The game also has a lot to offer to gun nuts as the game features improved shooting and an expansive crafting system that takes resources from the clutter in the open world.

However, Fallout 4 is a big departure from the franchise in terms of its way of storytelling and RPG mechanics, which will most likely disappoint long-time fans of the franchise. It is apparent that BGS have taken inspiration from other popular games. It seems to me that in the beginning of the development cycle of the game, the developers asked the question “can we” too many times and didn’t ask the question “should we” enough. As a result the narrative of the game suffers, as the actions of the player often contradict with or completely undermine the meaning of the main story of the game.

For the first time in a Bethesda game, the protagonist is given strictly defining traits that force them to follow a linear path towards an endgame goal. This not only limits the possibilities for role playing, but it creates a pseudo narrative dissonance between the actions that the player makes during the main quests and the rest of their journey in the open world. On one hand the game tries to be an emotional story about family and difficult choices. On the other, it tries to tell a story about hope, building a new healthy community in the post-apocalyptic world. Unfortunately it does not spend enough time on any of these two sides and fails to tell a coherent story as a result of their inability to exist in correlation.

This new way of storytelling is totally uncalled for and it betrays the philosophy of player freedom that BGS has always had. Fallout 4 is a lesser RPG in almost every aspect, even compared to Fallout 3: The removal of the karma system (and the ability to role play as an evil persona); The new “dialogue wheel” which only gives the illusion of choice but ultimately lacks any consequences; The voiced protagonist with defined traits and goals; The removal of skills making your character inexplicably proficient in any kind of weapon and power armor from the very start of the game; The overall lack of choice in quests or the illusion of such. All of these aspects were hallmarks of the franchise and, in my opinion, made the previous Fallout games one of the best RPG games of all time.

Moreover, the quest scripts themselves are repetitive, uninspired and boring. In terms of their mechanics, the quests of Fallout 4 could very well exist in an MMORPG, just in bigger numbers. All quest objectives can be narrowed down to: Acquire X item, place X item, kill X NPC, talk to X NPC, escort X NPC. Inexplicably, 95% of the population of the Commonwealth consists of generic, respawning enemies to kill in an attempt by Bethesda to bring the franchise to the mainstream audience of action hungry FPS players.

The lack of innovation in the mechanics of the game might very well be due to engine limitations. Unsurprisingly, Bethesda decided to use an upgraded version of the engine that they used for Skyrim. This is not the first time that the Fallout franchise receives this kind of treatment as Fallout 3 used an upgraded version of Oblivion's engine. It might have made sense at the time, as Fallout 3 was Bethesda’s first try at the IP and there was a certain amount of risk involved but it cannot be justified after the huge success of both Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

There has been an argument that the team behind these games is considerably small and they like to keep it this way because they are used to working with each other. This is possibly the biggest lie that Bethesda’s PR team has come up with and anyone with even a little knowledge about the game industry can pick it apart. I am totally fine with BGS keeping their artists and world designers and writers as they are. However, the choice by Bethesda not to hire more software engineers and graphics designers is a purely business decision since those types of employees rarely have any influence on the overall theme of the game. It is unforgivable for a AAA title in 2015 to have so many bugs, to look considerably worse than other games that came out in the same year while running poorly. This is not the quality that we should expect from the company behind some of the best selling games of the decade. As long as the community shows that they are willing to forgive poor mechanics, ugly, not optimized textures and game breaking bugs, BGS will keep releasing games in an unfinished state.
  63. Mar 8, 2016
    Firstly I should say I have played Fallout 1 and 2 albeit recently and wasn't particularly fussed. Fallout 3 is what drew me into the franchise and I must be one of the few people who rates New Vegas as it's poorer cousin. There, now I've alienated almost everyone I'll proceed with the review.

Pros: The map is big and full of items locations etc as with Fallout 3. Power armour is really cool. Skills and levelling are the best in any Bethesda game in my view. All creatures are made from scratch with some cool animations. Weapon mods are fun and varied. Settlements can be fun with some caveats.

Cons: If you power armour helmet gets smashed you can't see in the dark except by your pip boy light meaning getting out or your power armour and leaving your suit wherever you are (sometimes the middle of nowhere) just to **** see. Stupid companions both bore you moralising for PICKING STUFF UP (yes more than half of the fun of the game is pissed upon by the **** people who are supposed to be helping). Paladin Danse in particular needs to stop blocking my way before I blow his stupid fat power armour head apart.

Not a lot of missions. Really. Radiant missions are the missions so plough through the main quest because getting the game out at xmas meant a huge plot sacrifice. I expect they thought DLC could fix this. No give us some **** missions at the outset please.

Settlements build cap is way way too low even in Sanctuary. Less settlements with a higher build cap for each would have been so much better. (This is fixed with mods in PC).

Without spoiling too much I don't give a flying **** about Shaun. This plots feels more forced on you than Fallout 3 for reasons I can't explain. Perhaps because I can't identify with a whiny child.

Speech is one of the biggest drawbacks. Your choices are limited your ability to be funny, evil, stupid, intelligent etc. has taken a big knock. This is a shame. What you get from voice acting would be better spend on fixing this aspect (which by the way wasn't broken in F3 so why they fixed it is anyone's guess).

Graphics are ok but not really amazing. Glitches which I always expected to be there are pretty common and sometimes hilarious. I'm not that bothered but there is nothing here to blow you away.

Conclusion: This has the beginning of a good game in some ways. DLC may fix some of the main gripes however if you were expecting the bomb this is more or an extended F3 which some improvements and some retrograde steps. The plot is never gonna get better so hopefully DLC will provide something there. I really hope so. With the Witcher 3 out and a competitive market the the basic game only gave me a few months play before I tired of it. Players new to the franchise might be more entertained by it. I bought the season pass for DLC because I'm a dreamer who doesn't want to give up on Bethesda. My worry is I will get bored before I really get stuck into it. Anyway there certainly something to be said for this title but it isn't quite good enough especially as the product of 7 years in the making. It really doesn't feel next gen but they had a go and the results are mixed.
  64. Mar 25, 2016
    The fourth entry into the fallout series is a bit of mess. Its do its glitchy gameplay; which isn't game breaking, but are annoying like when special characters you need to talk to will spawn on a roof. Ok but

Sometimes bad follower AI; that gets stuck in doorways(which is so frustrating),walls/objects in the environment and will just wander aimlessly and will just randomly go

environment and will just wander aimlessly and will just randomly go through traps. The settlement system is kind of a mess because the hud for feels disorganized. I'd sometimes go back to find something but get lost trying to look for it. It also has a lack of a tutorial to where I didnt know I could do certain important things; like sending out a settler on a caravan rout to trade with another settlement. I mostly agree with what they did with the leveling system, but one thing I disagree with is getting rid of the level cap. The level cap is what really makes you think about what kind of character you want in your first playthrough. Its supposed to limit you so where you cant become a god character in one playthrough and increase game replayability. This is a role playing game; not a a fps. The pip boy menu disorganized just looking through all your weapons, armor and junk can be frustrating. Probably the most disappointing part of the game is the dialogue system and voiced protagonist. Why Bethesda why????? Why in the world would you ever sacrifice choice which you were known for just some emotion. THIS IS A ROLE PLAYING GAME!!!!!!!!! Its not just that their is only four options, and just TWO OPTIONS DESCRIBING WHAT YOUR GOING TO SAY, BUT YOUR CHOICES ONLY MATTER ALMOST 0% IN BOTH THE MAIN QUEST AND SIDE MISSIONS!!!!!!!!!!! With the vice protagonist I think the vice acting is pretty good. My problem with it is that the voice just doesn't match any other race well than the white man or woman. Thats one big reanson why haveing the voiced protagonist was a mistake. In skyrim their was 100 plus side quest; in fallout 4 there is around 35. I think its because they focused so much on the voice acting for the protagonist that they didnt have time to do tuns of side quest like in skyrim.That's another reason a voiced protagonist is a huge mistake. Dont forget the weird facial animations,mostly poor character models, and long loading times. The main quest is leaps and bounds betters than skyrims with interesting and well written characters and mostly well placed and interesting plot. But the ending cutsene doesn't even adress the ending of the game no matter what factions you chose. Dont forget that the choices in dialogue in the main story dont matter; but fallout 4 still had more choice than skyrim. Even after all those problems fallout 4 is saved by its crazy and addicting customization for weapons and settlement building. Its interesting dense world to explore. Excellent environmental story telling. Fun improved slowmotion vats and real time gun play. Fun and interesting characters.
  65. Apr 13, 2016
    Ante todo, he de confesar que este ha sido mi primer Fallout ya que los juegos de mundo abierto tan extensos nunca han sido de mi completo agrado.

Estamos ante un juego bastante feo técnicamente. Gráficos desfasados, bugs por doquier..., sin embargo, bien es cierto que la historia es entretenida. El personaje principal es bastante flojo en personalidad, aunque tampoco se puede pedir

El personaje principal es bastante flojo en personalidad, aunque tampoco se puede pedir mucho cuando la main story hace aguas desde el minuto 1.

Si disfrutas el mundo abierto y andar husmeando y creando tanto armas como refugios yo creo que es un juego muy aprovechable. Si tu estilo es más de juego guionizado, o de no tan libre albedrío, ni lo intentes. Será un desembolso de dinero para acabar en el carro de juegos de 2ª mano.
  66. May 6, 2016
    While the game is loaded with content and improves vastly on its predecessors, it actually gets really repetitive.
    I actually have never beaten the main story because I could care less about it. The game also feels more linear than past Fallouts which some people may enjoy, but I liked the option to be a terrible person and nuke an entire city for the lols. There is arguably 1 "bad" route/decision, but even then its justified as "doing the right thing" rather than "hey I just wanna be a psycho."
    That's why people love open world RPGs and specifically Fallout, the freedom.
    So if I'm bashing it, why a 7? I still plugged over 60 hours into the game across various characters, and each playstyle is unique, different, and fun, and I actually found new places/items each time I played. It kept me entertained with all the stuff on the side, but a poor story and lack of true free will was disappointing.
  67. Jun 28, 2016
    I want to give Fallout 4 more than this for the PS4 version... But I really can't.

we keep getting promised that Bethesda will stop doing the same song and dance every game they make and every time we're made into fools. Favoritism towards the Xbox/PC versions means PS4 users wait the longest for bug fixes, updates and sometimes even DLC. To top that off, considering the game is not

To top that off, considering the game is not that graphically intensive and locked at 30FPS on the PS4 it's amazing that it has so many performance issues. Framerate dips below 30FPS regularly, load times are abysmal and the game likes to crash now and then.

There's virtually little wrong with the gameplay and story, but the poor optimization makes Fallout 4 possibly the last non-id software Bethesda title I'll trust to throw money at.
  68. Jul 1, 2018
    This is not the game i was told it would be.
    When i bought the game i was told that it offers at least 100 hours of gameplay,
    while instead, i had enough of it in about 20.

The world feels dead, and the combat and "stealth" experience is what ruins the game for me.
    It just isnt fun in my opinion.
  69. Jan 2, 2016
    War never changes, but triple-A RPGs sure are joining the cool idiot crowd to fit in. It's the worst kind of puberty movie, the one where a nerdy teen realizes he'd rather have popularity than a handful of actual friends.

It's not a terrible game, but if this is where they're going... Fallout is dead, it pains me to say. Hell, if you usually play the "Hypocrite hero/anti-hero that kills almost everything", a Shepherd-type, you might not even have noticed that THAT is the only guy you can be in this game, with the only choice being nice or a dick in conversations leading down the same paths. There are plenty of factions, set pieces, areas - and you're either going to kill them or kill for them. The story makes no sense because of this - because there's no diplomacy, no role to play other than Actionman McShooty. Just a hitman for one of the factions, which is a fine choice, but it shouldn't be the ONLY choice, and that's actually what's kind of weird - aren't these the harder choices to implement, adding Diplomacy or Truly Evil options would actually be just a few more lines of dialogue, locking them by stats to require actual role-play, interface some of it with the way you do other quests... but no, by the end of the main story, you'd realize the game resists your urge to make choices by simply making you shoot at all your problems. You can't choose technology without murdering freedom, you can't choose morality without blasting technology (and, ironically, murdering some people along the way).

There's no coherence here, no factions to like, no people to want and help and that's a damn shame because those things are what makes the Fallout world tick.

Quality of writing in Bethesda has been dwindling for a while, I guess. The process of streamlining and homogenizing everything has become more extreme with every gaming generation. This game is and has sold like crazy - so maybe this is Fallout now, and us RPGers should bow out. That sucks.

So what it is is a decent game which controls better than most action RPGs, without any real RPG elements or choices that matter. It's a got a pretty meaningless but fun Sims - Mad Max Edition town builder to help protect your crappy companions and crappy mook AI settlers, but this leads nowhere. It goes down with a whimper no matter which of the millions upon billions of EXACTLY three ways it can end, and the road you take there is always soaked with the blood of your enemies, you shady but ultimately good anti-hero type who is sometimes sarcastic, you.
  70. Dec 2, 2015
    I liked this game better when it was called Fallout 3.
    I liked this game better when it was called Fallout 3.
    Come on, Bethesda, you're better than this - there is almost nothing new here that we haven't seen before. OK, yeah, it a different city. OK, there's that. Sooooo you jog around a different area and get attacked...then fight or run away...then jog around some more...get attacked again...and just go ahead and do that another 1000x. That's Fallout 4.
    This game could have really pushed the envelope and added more to a great game but for $59 I just feel like I got straight up scammed. I would have liked to see some actual real stealth mode, some farming to soothe my ADHD or maybe multiple/interesting ways to achieve goals/missions, instead of just kill A or kill B.
  71. Jan 2, 2016
    First game this generation that I took back to the store the next day. It's not a bad game, but it's nowhere near the hype that surrounded it, nowhere near top 5 games of the year (not even top 20). Bad, bad gun play, bad inventory system, painful graphics, nothing special about the story either. Very slow gameplay. Nothing new, it's all been done before.I would only recommend this toFirst game this generation that I took back to the store the next day. It's not a bad game, but it's nowhere near the hype that surrounded it, nowhere near top 5 games of the year (not even top 20). Bad, bad gun play, bad inventory system, painful graphics, nothing special about the story either. Very slow gameplay. Nothing new, it's all been done before.I would only recommend this to people who really like exploring. Everything else is mediocre at best.
  72. Feb 29, 2016
    Diehard Fallout fan. Have all the platinum trophies, played through 3 and NV dozens of times.

That said, F4 gets a solid 6. Why so low? Essentially, this is a tale of two Fallouts. On one hand, you've got a Fallout with much better and responsive shooting, similar to Destiny (on which it modeled itself after). On the other, you've got the same Fallout experience you've seen prior. The bugs and crashes are far less than before, if ever occurring. The ability to now run is appreciated. However, like most people are saying, this is a great game, but a **** Fallout game.

When we look at Fallout as a franchise, we expect just a few small things we deem as essential to the experience: Ambience and atmosphere, narrative and storyline, weapon degradation, and most importantly--DIALOG, WRITING, AND CHOICES THAT MATTER.

Fallout 4 has none of these things, virtually making this iteration so far removed from Fallout you can't really call it Fallout. Guns don't break down, so I can just grab a Super Sledge and never worry about another weapon again, ever, effectively removing immersion and potential strategies for combat prep. You don't have to worry, it'll never break. Boston simply sucks, feels small, confined, and empty. There's zero lore outside of the story missions, and the story was not very good overall. I think BGS tried to go more dense and vertical, and I'm sorry, but they failed miserably in this experiment. Fallout is the one game that NEEDS empty expanse to effectively communicate the fear and isolation embedded in the franchise. It's literally the only franchise that can get away with it. Imagine if F4 had Just Cause 3's (which is awesome fun) map and density. But the most unforgivable sin of this game is the writing and dialog options. Simply awful. Since this game came out over 5 years after New Vegas, it is simply no excuse to not tirelessly labor to get the writing and dialog and choice making crystallized. The game is pure illusion of choice: you either agree happily, or you agree sarcastically. There is no option to be the bad guy. NO KARMA SYSTEM. Hyper-reduced dialog choices. Your decisions don't matter, they never did. Additionally, the graphics are quite bad for a game that took over 7 years to produce. Unacceptable and upstart devs like CD PROJEKT are lapping them. Cyberpunk 2077 may be the Fallout franchise killer.

In sum, you'll have a good time playing this game. But you won't be enjoying the bastard casualization of this beloved franchise. Better shooting, less lore, less reality, bad graphics, horrible writing, abysmal dialog, ugh I cant write anymore.

Bethesda, watch your ass, your competition will and is already lapping you. Do yourself a favor and give Fallout to OBSIDIAN, a developer that understands Fallout much more than you do in all ways. They are the ones that gave you better custom mods, a world with actual consequences for your actions and choices that truly matter, weapon degrading, stellar voice acting and radio stations, and a sense of atmosphere and ambiance that makes you truly feel the world is dead and you are a wandering loner lost in the dust of the old west.
  73. Nov 22, 2015
    This game is really disappointing. Combat is terrible, doing anything in the UI is a chore. It's the same old Bethesda engine with different skin. It is losing Fallout world's flavor as well. Feral ghouls are just mindless zombies, super mutants are now acting like apes incapable of using complete sentences. Most areas are linear shoot everything that moves type dungeon. I wouldThis game is really disappointing. Combat is terrible, doing anything in the UI is a chore. It's the same old Bethesda engine with different skin. It is losing Fallout world's flavor as well. Feral ghouls are just mindless zombies, super mutants are now acting like apes incapable of using complete sentences. Most areas are linear shoot everything that moves type dungeon. I would rather play a superb 20 hour game than something with hundreds of hours of sub-par content. Sad to see the fallout IP turn into this, the first game is one of my favorite game of all time. Expand
  74. Nov 23, 2015
    This game should be a spin-off, like: Fallout 3: Minutemen Reborn. It dumbs-down some aspects of Fallout I felt are in the core Fallout experience: post-apocalyptic death, rich dialogs, encounters.

There are some advantages, but the disadvantages that I found are simply blockers. 1) Dialogs. Dialogs are dumb. It's introducing distance between you and your character. Sometimes I've

1) Dialogs. Dialogs are dumb. It's introducing distance between you and your character. Sometimes I've chosen a dialog option only because I've misunderstood what feelings will be communicated with that option. I.e. when choosing an option titled "you're a synth", your character will be aggressive and it will be said in the form of an accusation. If I knew that I wouldn't picked it! With menu that uses only codewords instead of full lines I felt that instead of leading the conversation I was playing guesswork. Good thing that "quick save" option works in dialogs, I was using quick-load when inside the dialog quite often. I miss the times of Baldur's Gate. In that game, you had to earn your way into a romance. It wasn't started by choosing the "romance" option... It's like: "new directive: commence romance. initializing... protocol romance starts". Yuck.

2) Repetition. In Fallout 4 there are really LOTS of places to visit. And they're nicely done. But what's the point if most of them are empty in content? I mean sure, there are raiders to kill and loot to be found. But if you "clear" the location and take the loot, it's marked as "cleared" and that's it. There's no "history" inside them, no spontaneous quests, and I really can't find any reason to enter some Brewery if I don't have a quest marker inside it. Also, automatically generated quests (like, 'clear this area' or 'rescue this person') are giving me exactly ZERO motivation to follow this quest, because I know that when I'll do it, i'll get EXACTLY the same quest next time, sometimes even in the SAME location! There won't be any feeling of accomplishment, nothing. Only loot. I don't care about the loot! I care about the story and the world, not numbers and which compound I have the most!

3) Weapons. I play melee character. In early game I've bought Chinese Officer's Sword, later I've changed it to Super-sledge, because everything else has simply worse damage. It looks like I'll be using it till end of the game (most enemies are 1 hit, and I play on Very Hard). So, I don't see the diversity of guns here: my whole game will end and I've used only 3 weapons. What's the point of having multiple mods, if most of them won't ever be used, because more advanced mods are completely deprecating older ones? This is actually called 'leveling', not 'modding'. If you have a better mod, you won't use the worse mod. Mods should be diversive and should introduce new traits that sometimes can be used and sometimes not, not simply gaining more p0wah!@#. Mods in Power Armors are nicely designed though.

4) Interface. "Junk" is managed well, I like it very much that the player can stash every junk item from inventory into the workshop by hitting T key when browsing the workshop. This is very nice. I wish there could be a way to stash "unneeded" items into the workshop, or shop, in similar fashion. I mean, nearly every walk through the city results in killing enemies, because they respawn. If every enemy leaves loot, and player is expected to take it, then the player should be able to tag items which are taken with selling in mind, tagging items which are taken in checking them later, etc. I.e. I would wish to somehow create a category "shop items". When picking up items, it would categorize those items as "shop items" the moment I pick them up. Then, when visiting the shopkeeper, I would hit "T" and all items that are marked as "shop items" are moved to the shopkeeper. I then decide to accept or deny the transaction. This would make selling loot a lot less cumbersome. And now it is, because there are TONS of items in this game. Not really much diversity in them, but in terms of volume.

5) For me, Fallout was about exploration. World exploration, game exploration, character exploration. I liked the idea that I didn't know what perks I could choose at some point of the game. I liked the surprise that the game gave me when it allowed me to choose a new perk that was awesome. It made perks valuable and it created an immersion of achieving something that you didn't know was there previously. Fallout 4? Every possible perk is offered right on the beginning of the game. Even if you can't choose it because you don't have enough stat points, you know what's there. You can even browse through perk levels, to know that it will do if it's on higher level. Hell, you can even modify your primary stats. I feel like another Fallout core trait has been changed to something that is not nearly as fun.

I have more thoughts about this game, but I feed there's no point in writing them all. I mean, the game is done. It's too late to change it. I'm sad :(.
  75. Nov 28, 2015
    Bethesda dropped the ball on this one. It's going to still be one of the best selling games of all time. They nailed the marketing, the hype levels for this were astronomical...they sold so many copies that porn hub had a massive dip in viewers on release day. I have invested an absolutely embarrassing amount of time in the other Fallout games. Like, I could have written some novels...someBethesda dropped the ball on this one. It's going to still be one of the best selling games of all time. They nailed the marketing, the hype levels for this were astronomical...they sold so many copies that porn hub had a massive dip in viewers on release day. I have invested an absolutely embarrassing amount of time in the other Fallout games. Like, I could have written some novels...some GRRM novels. This one I put in about 30 hours and I am done. Its not a roleplaying game. Its kind of like a super clunky post-apocalyptic far cry. Its a sandbox action game. It's still a fun game, its just that the other fallout games really tap into something s.p.e.c.i.a.l. (get it?) and it seems like the people who made this game have no clue what that is. Every single quest ends in massive bloody violence, there is barely even the illusion of choice, there is no sense of progression, no feeling that you have earned any kind of victory. Seriously within the first hour I had Power Armor, a minigun, and had killed a deathclaw.
    They are going to make a boatload of money, the whole pre-order racket has seen to that, but where do they go from here? They are loosing the old school fans, and gaining a super fickle audience that they simply can't maintain. This game is aiming for the Call Of Duty, Assassins Creed, Far Cry Crowd. Those games have several things in common. Cutting edge graphics, super tight game mechanics, and MULTIPLAYER. Also bland, boring, and repetitive game-play.
    I'm not a graphics guy. I love 8 bit games and indie stuff, but this game looks rough. It looks PS3.5. The animation is busted all to hell and its just crawling with bugs. I am playing on the PS4 and it has the most obtuse nonsense IU I can imagine, Vats feels more like a cheat code than an essential part of the game, and the whole settlement building mechanic feels like your building a level in an old Tony Hawk game. This game simply has no multiplayer....which is what keeps people playing and thinking about these properties in between releases. Bethesda games don't usually need this because they are packed with alternate paths, emergent gameplay, and varying play styles. In Fallout 4 you start out as a character who is good at just about everything. Leveling up works more like character bonuses. I don't mind some of the streamlining here. The way the system is setup is interesting, but its just that you can't really make a character that's bad at anything. If you are out of vats you are just as likely to hit your enemy with a rocket launcher as you are a pistol or an energy weapon. There aren't really fail checks. You either can do something or you can't do it. No system of chance. So its really difficult to create a "build". Also some stats are useless. Since this game offers no choice and every mission just ends in a bloodbath charisma does nothing except occasionally allow you to extort some extra money out of people.
    By far the worse thing they did was give the protagonist a voice. You can be a man or a woman. Your choices for role playing are 1. a concerned mother who is a saint, 2. a concerned Mother who is kind of grouchy, or 3 an incredibly BLAND concerned father who is a saint, 4 really really whiny (yet concerned father) who doesn't make a whole lot of sense.. That's it. I played through the first time has concerned mother who is a saint. The VA for the female MC is great. Yes they options are super limited,but I liked her characterizations and I felt connect to her. I decided for my second play through that I would play a male character who was kind of the opposite. The male character in the game is an ex soldier (of course) so I thought about playing this really scarred guy, violent, cruel, shell shocked. The moment he opened his mouth it was just ludicrous. All of his dialogue just became parody. I had him refuse to help one NPC, just really giving her **** condescending, insulting....dudes a turd, and then because you have to do the goddamn quest to complete the game I agreed and he just looks at her and earnestly vows,"I will find him for you. I promise." I wound up going to the plastic surgeon and making him look like king diamond and shutting the game off.
    The story has some interesting twists and turns. There are several companions, but really there is just one. Nick Valentine is one of the best NPC followers Bethesda has ever created and he deserves to be in a better game. My choice of faction in the end really really disappointed him, and I genuinely felt kinda bad about it. You also get a scraggly dog that more or less is a walking cheat code. He can carry all your extra junk and somehow unlock master locks. You can seriously get one of the best guns in the game just by having the dog search the beginning area. So yeah, rent it. Go in with reservations. Its not really an

rpg. As a game were you shoot monsters in the face its

pretty fun, but if you are an old school fallout fan, or an

avid rpg lover....its a huge disappointment. Somewhere I

imagine Nick Valentine, Harold, and Bob are sharing a drink,

and wondering about what kind of micro-transactions, and

online multiplayer death matches they are going to have to

get into with Fallout 5.
  76. Jan 7, 2016
    Like many others, the disparity between the rave reviews this game received and its actual quality prompted me to write my first review on metacritic.
    Let's get the good stuff out of the way - the artwork is lovely, all post-apocalyptic Americana, vast landscapes, and truly gruesome creatures to shoot (and run away from). There's huge detail in this world, tons of customisation options for weapons and armour and lots of places to explore, all with their own stories and characters.
    Now for the bad:

1. Crafting and grinding. Hate it. A big feature in this game is hunting around the vast map for screws, metal and bits of leather etc to beef up and customise your weapons. That, in turn, involves negotiating a long-winded and counter-intuitive set of branched menus. This kind of stuff is a time sink and bores me to tears - they feel like the online equivalent of errands.

2. For what is billed as an RPG, the actual options for interacting with characters and the dialogue you're given is fairly limited. The script is fairly cheesy and/or boring, and you get the feeling it doesn't really matter much what responses you give. In some cases, the phrases your character actually utters do not match the decision you've chosen on the dialogue wheel.

3. So let's move onto the shooting. It's not bad, but it's not good either. We're talking Half-Life / N64 Golden Eye-style floaty, weightless, puppety shooting with poor hit-tracking and vague aiming. Come on, it's 2016, gamers deserve better.

4. The story itself is kind of uninspired. Without giving too much away, you're basically looking for a lost family member, which is all well and good, but the way the game is set up there seems to be no urgency in finding your loved one at all, and instead the designers seem keen to sidetrack you into all manner of side quests from day one.

5. The graphics are decidedly last gen. While the artwork is nice, faces still look doll-like, lip-syncing is off, animation is mostly robotic and lighting is weird (a canine companion you have early in the game seems to glow in the dark). I'm playing MGS5 at the same time, and there simply is no comparing its flawless animation and gorgeous landscapes and characters with those in FO4.

6. Bugs bugs bugs. Lots of them. Dialogue that ends mid-sentance, NPCs that randomly pop in and out of view, and annoying companion AI that seems determined to ignore your cautious apporach and run into all manner of monsters and draw them to you.

7. Ugly and counter-intutitive UI. It's basically green type on a black background, like on 80s computers, which I suppose the game's designers have implemented for effect, but which seriously cramps usability. You have to navigate reams of menus containing tonnes of found objects and negotiate a very basic map of a vast world all on a small, menu-driven green-screened wrist computer. Annoying.

8. This game makes absolutely no concessions to casual gamers and those new to the FO universe, such as myself. There's no tutorial and a lot of mechanics are left unexplained, forcing you resort to online guides. Also, unexpected difficulty spikes - one minute you're picking off basic ghouls and dogs, and the next you're repeatedly floored by some massive creature that came out of nowhere and will require you to scrounge for more kit for the next few hours to upgrade your weapons.

Overall, this simply isn't my type of game (it was a Christmas gift), as I simply don't have the time or patience to wander around for hours picking up bits of wood, screws and metal to make weapons. Even then, if the story was great or gunplay good, I might have continued, but that was not to be ufnortunately. Shame.
  77. Nov 17, 2015
    Having played over 70 hours, and acquired the platinum trophy, I believe I can now make an informed review on the game.

I love the Fallout universe, and have played all of them, With New Vegas being my favourite. But I don't love this game, and cannot see any replay value in this game. Firstly the positives: The combat/gunplay system is much improved. Enemies are quick and move

Firstly the positives:

The combat/gunplay system is much improved. Enemies are quick and move about a lot, making VATS seem much more important and useful.

The looting system when picking up items is also a lot less time consuming, something that has always annoyed me in 3 and New Vegas

The graphics, for the most part, are decent, not the best for a supposed 'RPG' but Bethesda have always been lacking in that department.

Companions have come to life in this game, having some sort of background, a quest for each one, and actually react to your actions.

Weapons/Armour crafting: In my opinion, this is a welcome addition. It makes for a broad spectrum of weapons that you can create, tailoring them to your playstyle or wants. It can be quite tedious collecting the parts to make them, however the grind makes it more satisfying when you can finally improve that Sniper of yours.

The radio: Favourites of Fallout 3's songs make a return, as well as others that are a welcome addition.

The Neutral Stuff:

The Story. I won't spoil anything, but it didn't invoke any emotion out of me, nor did I feel any emotion for the character I was playing. However, some of the main characters that you meet are interesting, and the 3 main factions do pose a moral dilemma.

The settlement building. Getting to 100 happiness for one of the settlements was a real grind, and not an enjoyable one. Spending all my caps on stores that I never used and doing the same boring 'Clear out X' quests was not fun either, so much so that I changed the difficulty from Very Hard to Very Easy just to do it quickly. However, I realise that some will love this setting, as it does give the player freedom to create their own little town/village.

The bad:

The dialogue: While in some ways I have come around to like the voiced protagonist, I despise the fact that you can only choose 4 different options, which are normally always Yes/No/Sarcasm(or asking about reward)/Question. This is a step down from previous titles and makes conversations feel like they have no depth, or that you have much of a choice.

The S.P.E.C.I.A.L/ skill points mechanic. Charisma is ridiculously overpowered in this game, and abandonment of skill points was not needed, nor anyone was calling out for. It worked in the old games, and I see no improvement in this one. You cannot roleplay to the same extent that you could in previous instalments, as the skill point system has been taken away, and the SPECIAL points don't really change the story of the game, something they could do in previous ones. It does feel dumbed down to a certain extent.

Facial Animations. While this isn't much of a problem for me, I can see how this will be very annoying for others, and it can be immersion breaking during some scenes.

In conclusion, to me, this feels like a game that has not been fully thought through, not listened enough to what the fans of fallout really liked about the previous games, and have started to abandon what makes a fallout game, fallout. It has been dumbed down, tailored to a much wider audience, which I feel may have distanced the more devoted fallout fans. On its own right, it is a good game, but for a fallout game, it hasn't lived up to what it could and should have been.
  78. Nov 15, 2015
    I read and watched a lot of reviews because it was strange that is so big difference between professional gaming sites and average gamer. First group probably played in rush to make a review and you can see from what they say and write that didn't made big progress in game. That is not their fault, only a couple days for Monday (end of embargo), also at beginning I thought that title isI read and watched a lot of reviews because it was strange that is so big difference between professional gaming sites and average gamer. First group probably played in rush to make a review and you can see from what they say and write that didn't made big progress in game. That is not their fault, only a couple days for Monday (end of embargo), also at beginning I thought that title is really good. The problem is the more you play it, the more bad mechanics and ideas you see. I am not talking about graphics or bugs. Really for so huge game bugs are normal and never in my case they limited or destroyed my game play. Of course I got like 1 game error on ps4 and 3 times game didn't start properly (same error, I had to start game again from system menu) during 55-60 hours of game play. These are not a reason that will make me to give that game 0/10. No I accept that in such project over time after patches most of those issues will be sorted.
    I also have to mention graphics because people give fallout bad review just for this reason. On ps4 game looks worse than on PC, sometimes framerate drops, not all textures looks sharp. But still overall game looks nice,

Real problems start when you progress in the game, start to make all of those quests along with main one. Actually yesterday after around 60 hours of gameplay I decided that I can't play this game anymore. I didn't want to force myself to finish it. I cleared my head for a day and started think why is that. I liked fallout 3, I know it is not fallout 2 that I played more than 10 times. Ultra fans have to accept the fact that bethesda has rights and can do their own vision. Personally I played Wasteland 2 and enjoyed it because it was closer to f2. On the other hand I accepted Fallout 3 for what it is, I try to be open minded and liked a lot of it. Really ppl should treat this as spin-off the f2 and move on.
    What made me to quit playing fallout 4?
    I got bored with this Call of Duty game on rails. Most of quests are "go there and kill, or bring something back". This game lack of variety and bigger consequences of player actions. Sometimes I got impression there is no reason to even read/hear the conversation because I have only impact on order of interaction and not shaping my story. I understand that main plot has to be directed and I accept that. Actually main story is not as bad as ppl say and the development of it is quite varied. But when you create world of crafting where you manage resources for building settlements, armor, weapons or even just hunt for caps you make players to do side quests.That's good cause you think that it is your journey. The problem is that most of those quests are just go and kill, so on one hand you experience different places, enemies but in the root of the concept it is so repetitive. I got bored at some point. It is shame that so much time and money went to make this unique world, cities, ships, npc's and bethesda made everything behave the same. I experienced the same pattern of gameplay most of the time, of course in different unique places, but really does it make this game feel unique?

Still we should thank bethesda that as a package this game is big, I think lots of gamers will spend a lot of time with it. In fallout main plot is varied but the rest is like copy paste pattern. I had impression that Bethesda accepted that it should see this project in broad perspective. What are currently 2 most played games? Minecraft and Call of Duty. Sorry to say that but fallout looks like this kind of mix. It is not bad in terms of direction. Games have to evolve, crafting for me is ok, especially weapons and thank Bethesda you didn't make them to get damage o break. Cool that ammo does not weight anything. Shooting feels good, vats is also ok for me.
    I remember on mission when I had to go to some plant to make it work properly again for some farm, I had to kill mutants but also interact with environment so it was varied enough to keep me interested. But later the same pattern is used to clear some place of ghouls or mutants etc. Millions spent for graphics, engine, programmers and really it is so hard to make some good scenarios for missions?

I am in point where I know I will buy next fallout game but also I suspect I will not be hayped that much for it, just because of curiosity and sentiment. This is actually bad for bethesda because decisions to target broader audience (cod, minecraft) will backfire in shrinking their audience. This could be a perfect game, there was so little effort to do that, just make mission more unique. Unfortunately someone decided to simplify everything and enjoy shooting.
  79. Nov 24, 2015
    So much potential but fails to deliver anything overly impressive. I was eagerly looking forward to this game but unfortunately it’s a disappointment. The game plays well besides a few bugs and there are ideas and elements that could have been brilliant. However, the graphics are average at best, the storyline isn’t very captivating, the voice acting is very poor and the mechanics ofSo much potential but fails to deliver anything overly impressive. I was eagerly looking forward to this game but unfortunately it’s a disappointment. The game plays well besides a few bugs and there are ideas and elements that could have been brilliant. However, the graphics are average at best, the storyline isn’t very captivating, the voice acting is very poor and the mechanics of building settlements is frustrating. Expand
  80. Jan 11, 2016
    I'm gonna be honest I was very disappointed with Fallout 4. That said it still is enjoyable in some aspects; the shooting mechanics are better then ever, the weapon and base crafting are addicting and overall good additions. And that's about all the praise I can give.

The new dialogue system coupled with a voiced protagonist is probably the worst change since 3, speech choices are much more limited and is often presented as vague "yes" "no" "sarcastic" responses that the voice actor says in dull unconvincing performances. The story has a very cringe worthy scripted start and is a flipped version of 3 in terms of plot and the voice actor for the main character does not help. One thing I have to address is how awful the awful lip syncing and animation for the characters you talk to are, seriously it looks like it came from the ps2.

Level progression has also changed into a simplified skill tree which turns your character into one build that can do anything in stead of allowing for fun unique builds like 3 and New Vegas did. Its also very easy, you can acquire the most powerful weapons very early on and the new version of power armor in the form of a mech suit(that you also get early on) will remove any sense of challenge that remained.

The graphics are unimpressive and the frame rate is pretty bad oftentimes going below 30fps when too many things are happening. The environments are more varied than 3 and look much better than 3 obviously but are still pretty bland in design.

Though It is addicting and will give you many hours of gameplay it pretty obvious that New Vegas did it better.
  81. Dec 6, 2015
    Honest review, no spoilers!

Fallout 4 is a good game, likely with patches and DLC and mods it will become a great game. It's not a 1/10 but it's also not a 10/10. In it's current state with all things considered, it's around a 7.5-8/10. So firstly, if you played Fallout 3 then it's more of the same with slightly less of the story/rpg elements, slightly more shooter elements and a
    Honest review, no spoilers!

So firstly, if you played Fallout 3 then it's more of the same with slightly less of the story/rpg elements, slightly more shooter elements and a minecraft sub-game. My first thought was actually 'this is fallout 3 all over again'. As I've played on I can see it's a super enhanced version of fallout 3 in most ways, but still it feels really familiar. They even use the same radio tracks again.

Secondly, there are lots of bugs. I have 4 quests that i can't do because of glitches, and everytime i leave a settlement it stops recognising that i've provided enough beds for my settlers, so i can't gain happiness. I'm sure these things get patched, but you can't give a 10/10 when there's such big bugs.

Lastly on the negative side, the story so far is a bit flat in comparison to FO3 and NV ones. I've been in 3 vaults and none of them are nearly as interesting as ones in other games.

Positives, the new songs they added are good, the DJ is good eventually and the graphics are an upgrade. The fallout feel is there, and settlements are fun although i'd like a bit more structured story and less settlements if I'm honest.

Overall it's still a good game. It's good to kill time with, it's great if you've never played fallout 3 before, but I'd wait for GOTY edition personally.
  82. May 16, 2016
    The long long wait for Fallout 4 to arrive and when it arrived its f*kkn ****

+Big new world to explore in the fallout universe +Building your own settlement is fun. +Modifying weapon and armour -Boring Story ( they should fire and ban the writer) -Boring NPC'S -Boring Factions -Although building your own settlement is fun, its kinda pointless. The npcs wander like zombies..
    The long long wait for Fallout 4 to arrive and when it arrived its f*kkn ****

+Big new world to explore in the fallout universe
    +Building your own settlement is fun.
    +Modifying weapon and armour

-Boring Story ( they should fire and ban the writer)
    -Boring NPC'S
    -Boring Factions
    -Boring enemies, there several difference, but in the end they are all boring and generic.
    -DLC sucks thusfar, Bethesda should be ashamed.
    -No rpg
    -No important choices to make, every quest is ; kill loot return

Overal the game is fun if your unfamilair with any previous fallout game.
    If you loved Fallout 3 and the far far superior New Vegas, Fallout 4 is an kick in the balls in your an fan of the series.
    I still cant believe that the game turned out to be an turd.

This is the last time i preorder an Bethesda game and an season pass.
  83. Feb 28, 2017
    The Fallout series is known for detailed worlds that were fun to explore, aesthetically pleasing, immersive and yet Fallout 4 is lacking in all areas. This review will describe my experience with Fallout 4 but also heavily consider, compare and contrast with against the series because I believe it essential to fully understand why Fallout 4 failed as an anticipated sequel. FalloutThe Fallout series is known for detailed worlds that were fun to explore, aesthetically pleasing, immersive and yet Fallout 4 is lacking in all areas. This review will describe my experience with Fallout 4 but also heavily consider, compare and contrast with against the series because I believe it essential to fully understand why Fallout 4 failed as an anticipated sequel. Fallout developed a formula that worked, ever since the very first game it was able to capture the iconic post-apocalyptic feel of the series so well. Through the music, mechanics, and overall world that is generated; Fallout is known for memorable immersive game-play. The series changes over from isometric point-and-click to third/first-person in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Through this change, players were able to absorb the world around them even more so through this new formula

Quests are a powerful and essential part of the Fallout series that expand the world and offer narrative and meaning to the desolate environment.. Side-quests greatly influenced the game-play as simply traversing the world would lead into ambiguous and yet engaging story-lines that would ultimately contribute to a player's own personal story. Fallout: New Vegas was most successful at this as many of quests were presented in a more subtle manner than three and therefore offered more narrative. Side-quests were plentiful in New Vegas and felt substantial especially considering the faction system.

The game-play mechanics of Fallout especially in Fallout 3 and New Vegas complimented the experience perfectly and felt natural. Looting, shooting, inventory management, the perk system and diversity in availability of items and weapons made everything seem fresh and intuitive. Being able to play the game uniquely through based on personal play-style was very important as individuals could do this with variety. This added to characterization and immersion.

Fallout 4 lacked so much in terms of what made the series a phenomenal success and memorable for fans. It lost the feel of the world and adopted a new game-play style that felt nothing like what made the character feel immersed. The newer style feels intuitive and yet doesn't match the role-played style of the series, much rather it accustomed to a game reminiscent of a shooter genre. This leads into the other major issue being the world and quests; the game lacked narrative structure and exploration. Fallout is filled with dead-ends and major lack of opportunity. It is built for players that prefer action over immersion and that is one of the biggest problems of the sequel. The entire mentality behind what the philosophy of Fallout was changed. Fallout being a game where environment and world were so heavily emphasized, Fallout 4 chooses to instead deliver fast-paced linear quest lines.

The quests of Fallout 4 were its biggest downfall due to the lack of choice, opportunity, and overall meaning. The main quests are very linear and barely offer decision based on narrative reflection or moral judgment. They are abrupt and do not contribute at all to a sense of belonging to the world the player navigates throughout the game. Rather, the game feels tedious as due to a lack of interesting side-quests or side-quests at all for that matter. The world feels ultimately empty and is meant as more of a playground where the character feels empowered through weapons and power armor that don't fit the mood and feel of classic apocalyptic Fallout themes. The series was built of subtlety where the character felt vulnerable and there was a sense of unease. In Fallout 4, there is no characterization and game-play although feeling modern does not reflect a sense of playing a role in world that's truly unique. Fallout 4 lacks these key features and fails to create the ideal Fallout experience.

Fallout 4 is not a bad game, it offers many changes that make for great modern role-playing game play however it lacks the classic immersion of Fallout. The modern RPG is heavily reliant on the formula created by the Fallout series and Fallout 4 disregards many of its key elements. Instead it is appealing to changing industry that demands much of big release titles. Fallout 4 is too laid back, it has removed the themes that brought nuance to the game. Fallout was about being independent, engaging in multi-layered narratives and experiencing a world that was threatening. This is no longer the case and is why Fallout 4 ultimately fails to truly capture the vision set out by its predecessors.
  84. Dec 2, 2015
    At first this is not bad fallout, this is completely not fallout. Why they not call him "skyrim with guns"? here less from fallout than was in previsios third part of the game and here have no nothing from RPG. Shiny, fun, action, stupid but addictive. And expensive. If you like action, it can be not so bad.
  85. Dec 13, 2015
    Bethesda skończ z tym Falloutem!

Miałem nadzieję, że to będzie przynajmniej dobra gra, ale niestety. Fatalne dialogi, grafika i bugi przeszkadzają mi w graniu i skutecznie odsuwają mnie od monitora. Grę ratuje ekploracja i muzyka.
  86. Dec 9, 2015
    Playing this game made me wanna pull out F3 and NV again through nostalgia. Only scraped the Main Quest line but kept getting sidetracked with the side missions. Its a great game with the usual Bethesda bugs (funny as always). People complain of its similarities to F3 and NV. I say, why fix something that aint broke. F4 built on top of its predecessors annd although not perfect, its a signPlaying this game made me wanna pull out F3 and NV again through nostalgia. Only scraped the Main Quest line but kept getting sidetracked with the side missions. Its a great game with the usual Bethesda bugs (funny as always). People complain of its similarities to F3 and NV. I say, why fix something that aint broke. F4 built on top of its predecessors annd although not perfect, its a sign that it will only get better.

Pros: **** of missions to do on top of the main story, stronghold building is fun and addictive, excellent character creator

Cons: graphics outdated, AI comps get in the way alot, dumbed down gameplay (lacks the hardcore mode of NV), story is meh, the conversation is the worst part going back to Ultima style single word responses like Yes and No even maybe?!
  87. Dec 15, 2015
    My experience can be compared to a lake that is a mile wide, but an inch deep. It seems like a large expansive word, but you quickly find out there is very little depth to anything. You end up redoing the same quests over and over and the writing is very much sub-par, from a role-playing standpoint fallout 4 is a failure. The additions of better shooting, crafting and the base buildingMy experience can be compared to a lake that is a mile wide, but an inch deep. It seems like a large expansive word, but you quickly find out there is very little depth to anything. You end up redoing the same quests over and over and the writing is very much sub-par, from a role-playing standpoint fallout 4 is a failure. The additions of better shooting, crafting and the base building seem great at first, until you realise that New Vegas mods did a better job years ago. Overall a mediocre game that fails to live up to my expectations, I might be able to recommend this when the GOTY edition comes out and the modding scene has had time to mature Expand
  88. Apr 12, 2016
    Compre el juego de salida lo admito, al principio me causo nostalgia ya que juge las anteriores entregas de la cual esta se diferencia ya que ya no tiene esa esencia del fallout, pero me lo he pasado bien, aunque si como es de esperarse de un juego inmenso y de una cantidad bestial de misiones secundarias he matado mucho tiempo en ellas con un poco mas de 100 horas de juego, los graficosCompre el juego de salida lo admito, al principio me causo nostalgia ya que juge las anteriores entregas de la cual esta se diferencia ya que ya no tiene esa esencia del fallout, pero me lo he pasado bien, aunque si como es de esperarse de un juego inmenso y de una cantidad bestial de misiones secundarias he matado mucho tiempo en ellas con un poco mas de 100 horas de juego, los graficos van bien, los bugs pues que les puedo decir como es de esperarse de un juego tan grande son bastantes, muchas misiones ni siquiera me las he podido pasar, eso sin contar que las misiones son muy repetitivas y los tiempos de carga al entrar al juego y en cada mazmorra que entra son demaciado extensos, honestamente la dificultad esta demasiado sencilla aun a nivieles altos ya que la IA no aumenta solo el daño que causan los enemigos por ello y que jamas les van a hacer falta las malditas curaciones... Un juego para matar el tiempo y para sacarle todo el jugo con sus misiones secundarias si te gusta andar por ahi hechando tiros que jamas tampoco te van a hacer falta las balas. Expand
  89. Oct 19, 2016
    14 months and a ton of patches, and crashes later, I've finished the main story and too many quests of this AAA Early Access.
    I didn't bought the overpriced DLC, the game already has a lot of content and areas to explore. I was expecting something more polished, taking into account that the engine is from a game more than 5 years old.
    If you want the GOTY on rpg category, search elsewhere.
  90. Sep 14, 2016
    Bethesda provides another 100+ hour game. Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, Oblivion, etc... Fallout 4 is no exception. It is a massive open environment where you play as the sole survivor of Vault 111 looking for your son.

Best part of Fallout 4 (like most Bethesda games) you can play as much of the storyline you want or wander around the landscape meeting/befriending NPC's, exploring towns, fighting raiders/super mutants/machines, building up your caps stash, finding new gear/weapons, building settlements, etc...

The storyline is short but with many side quests and activities to keep you engaged. There is always something to do and before you realize it you have spent days in this game. The DLC (especially Far Harbor and Nuka Town) gives more incentive to play as it provides hours and hours of extra gameplay and feels like two games within another game.

The negatives of this game are few but apparant. Loading screens are numerous, the never ending quests by Preston Garvey in Sanctuary are irritating, the voice acting for playable character (male or female) is not great, and the environment feels to crowded and not as isolated as the past Fallout entries.

Overall this game is fine. Not as good as it predecessors but worth playing and there is enough in it to worth buying, playing, and enjoying.
  91. Nov 15, 2017
    I am very disappointed: the lack of consistency in the storyline make me think if Bethesda studios made purposely a stupid campaign just for the newcomers in the genre.
  92. Mar 28, 2017
    It is a very good game to buy now on a lower price, I cant imagine people paying 60 dollars minimum on release like they did, they would be very displeased.... It BEGS for a new engine, in my experience it just bugged out seriously once and I had to restart the game and the mission (I play on PS4), but overall it is very nice in terms of originality and variety.
    I still would prefer the
    I still would prefer the story to be a little bit more interesting, but it has some very good side quests to keep you up.
    I only had one serious lag problem, never played it online because I hate online.
    Overall, nice to buy on a sale much later, but those who bought this on release, I believe they are right to be frustrated.... nevertheless and based on my own experience, the strong 7 is okay for it.
  93. Apr 4, 2017
    I have seen hardcore Fallout fans waiting for this game for 7 years and only managed to play a couple of days before they got bored. The game does absolutely not live up to its hype and I found it to be quite disappointing. The game can still be fun at times, but that's pretty much all there is to it.

I went into this expecting the immersive, deep and massive RPG that Fallout used to be, and what I got was a FPS with a few similar dialogue options. To even call it options is a stretch. I don't think I have come across a dialogue option that really changed much, except a few quests and romance. No matter what you say or do it essentially boils down to the same answer and result anyway: "sure I'll fix it for you".

The beginning of the game was great. It had potential. The story was interesting, the acting (at least the male voice in my opinion) was really good and I was looking forward to delving into hours of exploring. However it didn't take long until I forgot about the main story entirely. Not because it wasn't interesting or a good concept, but the game sort of pulled you in other directions instead. I don't know if this is a good thing or not because, yes, there were a lot of things to do, but at the same time one would expect losing your son would take priority. I guess the problem is the back story in general. It would work in another game, but in a game such as Fallout where you're supposed to be whoever you want I felt like the game was deciding who I wanted to be instead of me.

I also have a few issues with the ending. Without spoiling anything I'm just going to say that it was a disappointing outcome. I've played every ending and I was disappointed every time. It felt unfinished and lazy, and even though many people complain about there not being an option to be a bad guy in this game I felt like a piece of **** no matter what ending I chose.

So I guess what I'm saying is if you're expecting Fallout 3 or New Vegas with better graphics you're going to be severely disappointed. The game feels dumbed down and shallow. I recommend playing this as casual as you can and just focus on the fun part of it which is weird and sometimes fun characters, guns, the sarcastic dialogue option and Easter eggs. Focusing on the story, the characters, the relationship and the main character itself, like I've done with the past games, got me nowhere. The dialogue options may as well not even be there.

However I will add that a certain robotic detective and a certain ghoul mayor was indeed one of the best parts of the game. The settlement building tool is a bit clunky to be honest, it could be fun at times, but I'd rather stick with The Sims if I want to build houses. Dogmeat was cute. The power Armor was kinda cool. There were a few glitches, even some game breaking ones that prevented me from progressing the game. The graphics are pretty good, but the animations can be a bit wonky at times.

It's not a bad game, just a bad RPG.
  94. Dec 11, 2015
    This is basically Fallout 3.5: same quests, same interface, same bugs... hell, even similar (boring) story.
    Too bad 7 years have passed since F3 release, and it seems Bethesda didn't notice.
    A sad attempt to milk some more money from the franchise with zero effort.
  95. Dec 12, 2015
    Like many others, I made this account because I was itching to review this game. I wish I had read the user reviews before purchasing it, but it doesn't matter anymore as this game is on the shelf of my nearest Gamestop.
    Regarding the actual game, I'd say it's more close to Rage than Fallout 3. Yes, it still retains Fallout 3's assets, from the early character customization to your escape from the Vault and subsequent embracing of a post apocalyptic world.
    However that is where all the similarities end. Gone are your SPECIALs and the importance of your well spent points when tackling quests differently. Whether previous Fallout games awarded your abilities in medicine, explosives, barter, charisma, science by having a different set of options regarding dialogue, the newest Fallout 4 gets rid of all that in favor of a dumbed down and more streamlined dialogue wheel.

It's not like the outcome matters anyways since about 75% of the game is resolved with violence. And it is not some violence that will affect your persona later on because no matter what you do, you will still be heralded as the hero of Vault 111.

I won't spoil the game because most of my criticism revolves around a very mediocre quest and not so interesting lore.

I believe Bethesda made this game exclusively for the new fans, and if you are someone who have never played a Fallout game, you may like it. For those returning Fallout fans, keep waiting for the next Fallout game because this one, is not.
  96. Nov 13, 2015
    This is a difficult game to review. Amidst the extremely polarized reviews, I'm still not entirely sure where I stand. I had registered this account a couple of days ago simply to give the game a scathing review, much like a lot of other people have. The first hour of the game left me craving Fallout 3, but the more time I've invested into the game, the more it's grown on me. The last 5This is a difficult game to review. Amidst the extremely polarized reviews, I'm still not entirely sure where I stand. I had registered this account a couple of days ago simply to give the game a scathing review, much like a lot of other people have. The first hour of the game left me craving Fallout 3, but the more time I've invested into the game, the more it's grown on me. The last 5 hours I've spent in-game convinced me to change my review and increase my rating.

Graphics/Environment
    Pros:
    - good variety in landscape
    - variable (and sudden) changes in weather patterns are an AWESOME addition
    - graphics have been improved to some degree
    Cons:
    - pretty much all of the same issues as previous Fallout/Elder Scrolls titles (character animations, dialogue face/lip synching, etc)
    - graphics haven't improved that much
    - graphics look "plastic"
    - seems to lack the dark, dirty, grungy, gritty feel that I've grown to expect from Fallout titles

Player Character/Backstory
    Pros:
    - pre-voiced names ("Ah, Mr. Slaughter!")
    - facial scars are cool
    Cons:
    - new customization system is tedious - makes me miss the old slide-bars
    - not enough variety (hairstyles, colors, etc)
    - definitive back story and only one preset voice - really breaks immersion for me
    - You aren't making a character, you're just repainting the stock car Bethesda wants you to drive.

RPG Elements
    Where to start? Well, let's sum it up in one word: "Streamlining"
    Pros:
    Cons:
    - Skills/traits have been completely scrapped in favor of a simplified ("streamlined") perk tree
    - Impact of S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attributes has essentially been reduced to unlocking perks further down the tree
    - Entirety of character development is perk choices, so leveling up does not feel nearly as rewarding (compared to assigning skills points to increase character competency and selecting a perk to add variety)

As a stand-alone Adventure FPS, I don't hate the skill tree. I don't hate the leveling system.
    As a Fallout title, it infuriates me.
    It doesn't feel like an RPG because it isn't an RPG.

Gameplay
    Pros:
    - combat has been vastly improved
    - sprinting has finally been implemented
    - gunplay outside of V.A.T.S. is extremely fun (this coming from someone that almost exclusively used V.A.T.S. in previous titles)
    - D-pad favorites menu is much improved
    Cons:
    - I hate the new V.A.T.S. - overpowered or not, they should have left it as it was

Dialogue Wheel
    It's bad. It's bad and they should feel bad. The options are bland and uninspired. In every conversation, you get the same four options: Yes, No, Sarcasm, Huh?. Occasionally there will be a speech check thrown in, but the goal and endgame might not always be what they seem. I'm rarely invested enough to care to try, though (or to try to care). I'm usually just trying to get through the conversation as quickly as possible so I can go back to shooting things. Conversations are dangerous territory for me because the longer I'm stuck spinning the dialogue wheel, the more I'm thinking about shooting the person I'm talking to. Conversations lack depth. Characters lack depth. There's no wit, no dark humor. Everyone is dull and boring, haphazardly thrown in to populate the wasting wasteland. I don't really find myself caring about anyone until they're staring down the barrel of my 10mm hand-cannon.
    People also praise the "open" dialogue (you are not locked into the conversation), but I find it ruins a lot of the immersion for me and makes the conversations seem even more shallow.

Crafting
    I didn't think I'd like it nearly as much as I do. I spent 8 straight hours last night just scrapping and building up my settlement. I just couldn't stop.I kept trying to break away and work on quests, but something always manages to pull me back in. It's addicting and it's fun. In my opinion, it's one of the biggest redeeming aspects of the game. I love modding my weapons (my 10mm is GODLIKE), I love modding my armor, and I love settlement building. But it's a double-edged sword, because it's fueled by one of the worst aspects of the game: looting Looting "Hey, remember all of that useless crap we left all over the wasteland? Now it's useful! Isn't that awesome?" No. No it's not. First off, it takes all of the fun out of looting. Not only did they over-simplify it by allowing you to pull items from containers without opening them (eliminating a certain level of immersion), they also removed the need to consciously LOOT. You used to have to comb through the crap for the few trinkets worth taking. Now that everything's useful, there's no point in being picky. Take it all until your inventory is full, dump it, then go again. If it's not bolted down, it's going with you. It's not an art form anymore. Adhesive [expletive deleted] Verdict Is it an enjoyable game? Definitely. Is it Fallout? Not really. It's an excellent post-apoc shooter (with more depth than a standard FPS), but a horrible Fallout installment. Take that for what it is
  97. Nov 14, 2015
    At its best Fallout 4 is pretty good, at its worst it is a broken disjointed mess. The writing is shoddy, and the dialogue system has been grossly simplified from previous iterations, the characters are bland and the game does a poor job of getting you interested in anything it has to offer. Remarkably little of note has been added to this series since Fallout 3, and honestly Fallout 4At its best Fallout 4 is pretty good, at its worst it is a broken disjointed mess. The writing is shoddy, and the dialogue system has been grossly simplified from previous iterations, the characters are bland and the game does a poor job of getting you interested in anything it has to offer. Remarkably little of note has been added to this series since Fallout 3, and honestly Fallout 4 feels more like a ps3 remaster of Fallout 3, than a true current gen entry in the Fallout series. All that said, if you are a fan of Fallout you won't HATE this game.. But it doesn't have any surprises for you either. Expand
  98. Dec 28, 2015
    My initial impressions of the game were more positive but now I am bit fed up with FO4. The dialogue system falls flat not due to the fact that we have less choices but because the choices and the writing in general is of a lesser quality. There are few UNIQUE side-quests which is quite disappointing and most side quests are just opportunities to farm and nothing more. Witcher 3 made upMy initial impressions of the game were more positive but now I am bit fed up with FO4. The dialogue system falls flat not due to the fact that we have less choices but because the choices and the writing in general is of a lesser quality. There are few UNIQUE side-quests which is quite disappointing and most side quests are just opportunities to farm and nothing more. Witcher 3 made up for grindy elements with great writing but FO4 has very functional writing, getting invested in the world is quite difficult.

Combat can be a lot of fun and the gibbing is cool, way way way better gunplay than FO3. The best part of the game for me is all the emergent gameplay stuff like walking around one of the rundown districts and then hearing a gunfight commence somewhere near by or walking into an ambush at night time. The difficulty is quite artificial though as most enemies take way too much damage and it just feels stupid having to shoot a human enemy dressed in light armor seven times with a shotgun at point blank range. Once you get near the level 50 mark you will just be massacring everything though and that becomes boring quickly.

Crafting weapon mods is really nice and quite essential for most char types but settlement building requires too much of your time and is ultimately useless outside of key missions.

There's nothing really memorable about FO4 other than it's size. There are dozens and dozens of locations to visit and dungeons to raid but this is all for naught as the quests just lose steam very quickly.
  99. Nov 24, 2015
    Probably my most anticipated game of the back half of the year, I'm sad to say I feel fairly disappointed now that I have literally completed everything in the game. Yes, everything short of the random encounters you can't control. Every side quest, every misc quest (yes, I got a list to see if I had done them all), and every trophy. Saw all endings, wasn't impressed by any of them. AndProbably my most anticipated game of the back half of the year, I'm sad to say I feel fairly disappointed now that I have literally completed everything in the game. Yes, everything short of the random encounters you can't control. Every side quest, every misc quest (yes, I got a list to see if I had done them all), and every trophy. Saw all endings, wasn't impressed by any of them. And this all took about 125 hours of total game time.

125 hours is nothing to scoff at and it would be nice if many more single player games gave half as much but I came to the realization that a huge amount of that time was spent messing with settlements - and not really enjoying it. IMO, settlements aren't worth the time because the biggest benefits to maintaining settlements - access to scavaged goods, food, caps from traders, and traders themselves - is outweighed by the fact that the player must take all the requisite perks to make those things worthwhile. But taking those perks means you end up earning more by simply exploring, you never hurt for food or drink or ammo, and there are so many crafting stations throughout the Commonwealth that you don't really NEED a settlement to mod your armor, weapons, or craft chems or food. Settlements don't even provide a sense of community as the NPCs are mindless drones named "Settler" or some such and are awkward to assign to tasks. The entire process of building and maintaining a settlement is a frustrating experience and unless you're truly insane the Benevolent Leader achievement/trophy isn't worth the time. Realistically, settlements only exist to pad player gametime and force players to handicap themselves by carrying around loads of junk to tote to each workstation.

The gameplay outside of the settlements is largely the same as Fallout 3 except the gunplay is a lot better... at least once you can stop relying on the god awful pipe weapons that you're practically forced to use early in the game. I won't complain that it's too much like FO3 because that's good enough for me but the world felt so very lifeless and non-threatening. Outside of the main city of Boston, you barely run into enemies. If you've leveled up just by exploring like many of us have done those enemies are completely trivial. Deathclaws were literally the only things I feared. Super Mutants, Mirelurk Queens.. meh, no problem. I still don't understand how they weighed stats, especially for conversations. With 10 charisma and the Gift of Gab perk and 3 stars in Lady Killer, I was still failing most of my charisma conversation rolls against women. And forget even trying with men. I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

The story made an OK amount of sense but I couldn't help but feel they stole a page straight out of Mass Effect's playbook with the Institute. Not to mention the Institute's world view is ALMOST the same as the Brotherhood of Steel (only we can be trusted with technology/saving the world from itself/redefining humanity as we see fit, et cetera) so it didn't really feel like a threat. I honestly found myself missing the Enclave.

I enjoyed my time with the game but ultimately I feel that Fallout 4 was mostly candy that didn't truly satiate my hunger for the Fallout franchise, for lack of a better metaphor. Unlike Elder Scrolls, which has a lot more replay value in having different classes, insane amounts of skills and trees, and so many different branching story arcs, I can't see a reason to play FO4 again until the DLC (and only if said DLC is of decent quality). I will say that I only had two crashes and two texture bugs (not including settlement building which is nothing BUT texture bugs) during my entire playtime which was quite the refreshing change following the insanity that was the Fallout 3 launch on PS3.
  100. Nov 15, 2015
    To the people giving it 0's 1's and 2's... you REALLY dont have a god damn clue what a 0 game is.. go play Mindjack or Ride to Hell Retribution.. THEN come back here and talk to me about giving Fallout 4 a 0. Yer **** STUPID.

The game is fine. It HAS been dumbed down ALOT.. but it's still a fun trip through the wasteland.

It's a solid 7.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Dec 16, 2015
    A strong return for the franchise, boasting incredible customisation, a fascinating world and brutal yet brainy shooting, slightly tarnished by lacklustre AI and tedious inventory management. [Christmas 2015, p.88]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Dec 15, 2015
    Feral Ghoul ugly in many ways, but beneath its iffy exterior beats the heart of one helluva great RPG. Get past the graphics deficiency, and the sheer thrill of Fallout 4’s combat, crafting options, and exploring will hold your attention for months. [January 2015, p64]
  3. Dec 11, 2015
    Fallout 4 leans to the Shooting side of things. It strips down the gameplay from the actual RPG elements and offers a meta-nuclaer shooting gallery which of course keep its charm and gameplay wealth but also feels a little too friendly for the new comers. The Base builder mode is unnecessary, boring and irritating. Unfortunately, overall, there are no steps forward for this Nuclear Holocaust Behemoth of the video games industry. Only steps sideways.