5.4

1. Jul 12, 2019
    Surprisingly good and very fun as of 1.08 update. Machines are tough to beat, there is just barely enough rifle ammo, and traps/distractions are the best way to take out groups.

The game drops you into retro Sweden and tasks you with figuring out what happened. There is no hand holding, it's up to you to figure out the story and tactics for defeating machines. Gunplay and stealth mechanics are similar to the Far Cry series, but with ammo scarcity and cache looting reminiscent of a survival game. Graphics are great, with a day/night cycle and weather effects. There are bicycles, but no other operable vehicles, and honestly you're better off on foot.

I've encountered some bugs like constantly respawning enemies and occasionally getting stuck in the map geometry, but I haven't had to close or restart the game since I started it up the first time.

I would recommend this game to players looking for a singleplayer challenge. I've yet to try multiplayer and likely never will.
  2. Jun 29, 2019
    My friend recommend the game to me and for once I decided to take him for his word and buy the game. I have a slow internet connection so I played the game on version 1.0 and holy **** is it a broken product! Graphical glitches galore and collision detection for the enemy was unbelievably bad. The houses in the most south-eastern part of the map are dull, rinse and repeat "copy and paste"My friend recommend the game to me and for once I decided to take him for his word and buy the game. I have a slow internet connection so I played the game on version 1.0 and holy **** is it a broken product! Graphical glitches galore and collision detection for the enemy was unbelievably bad. The houses in the most south-eastern part of the map are dull, rinse and repeat "copy and paste" design that did get a little dull. The environment however is stunning and makes for an enjoyable trek through the wilderness.
    The weapons are a lot of fun to use and leave you with the constant urge to turn over every rock in a town, military camp, Army base, and bunker for ammo and new weapons. In version 1.0 they did not balance the ammo drop so when I hit the 5 hour mark of game play I had well over 1,500 rounds of 9mm FMJ (I wasn't complaining). You can modify your weapons in this game and when you slap them on you can see them on the weapon which is another plus.
    Now missions can seem tedious but even the most mundane of them can add a piece of information to the overall story line. Some missions seem like busy work while others can net you a nice bounty of medic-packs, ammo, and EXP. While there is no cut scenes, the narrative you do find is in the missions you complete (I.E. radio transmission, SITREPS, scribbled notes left for family members) so you have to go out and explore to figure out what the hell happened to civilian population. You find a lot of dead military personnel in positions that are tell-tale to being ambushed and wiped out.
    The HUD in version 1.0 was terrible and left a lot to be desired. Not much I can say about it besides just awful, I was just glad I had a compass so I could pick a direction on the map and keep my bearings without constantly going to the map and check where I am. Basic map reading skills come in handy because the map does have elevation lines so you can tell which mountain your looking at on the map and plan your course accordingly.
    Now the combat is a very tense affair! Version 1.0 offered good combat but had some interesting bugs. Collision detection was horrible, robots half in the floor and glitching through walls makes fighting from a building frustrating. However has spongy as the enemies seem you have to find the week points and target them to bring them down faster. If you see a ricochet then hit another spot on the robot. If you see a shower of sparks then you found a sweet spot and need to target that till you blow up the module your shooting. Use of ambush tactics and setting traps to draw enemies into is very helpful and playing it smart.
    Now the missions on version 1.0 are a **** mess. That was my biggest concern and ended my gaming session on version 1.0. "Another Castle" became broken after an hour of searching a bunker and left me a little angry. The manifest I was suppose to pick up complete the mission was not there leaving me with nothing to do but hope the update would fix it which it did.
    Now since I have downloaded update 1.7 the game is a lot more stable, the HUD has been improved, enemies hit even harder, ammo is sparse, mission bugs fixed, and feels like a more finished product. The only bugs I have encountered is when my friend was unable to find ammo in munition containers while playing co-op and when I we took out a Grey Walker Tank there was a very irritating bug. I Looted a Gold condition Barrett 50.Cal but had to rearrange items in my inventory to make room for ammo. When I went back to loot the ammo I was no longer able to interact with the downed robot.. Besides that I have not encountered any other bugs (fingers crossed).
    Overall I recommend this game for people who like to explore, shoot, and loot. The story is a great mystery and the fact that the game doesn't hold your hand when it come to progression appeals to me. The environment is stunning and well worth exploring, dynamic weather and daynight cycle is awesome, and with the update 1.7 the houses now feel and look a little different. The game was released feeling like a "Beta" version but has quickly been updated to feel like a finished product.
  3. May 19, 2019
    Graphics and lighting are good. The map is big enough. BUT missions are too bad. They are very few types of enemies in the game. The environmental design is very poor. The atmosphere of the game is poorly made. AS A RESULT, after you start playing this game you will ask yourself "why am i playing this game". Game is too expensive so don't buy it's waste of money
  4. Apr 21, 2019
    The first impression of the game is really mind blowing, I love this kind of Stranger Things vibe that you are feeling. The graphics are really good for such a big open world game, specially the light effects.

BUT! But the longer you are playing this game, you are getting more disappointed of the imput they put into the game. Bad storytelling, houses look the same from the inside, stupid KI, and a whole bunch of bugs.

I would give this game a 10 out of 10 when they finally fix the quests, fix the enemy KI, add vehicles, and more loot variations.

The game is not yet finished and you know that dear Avalanche Studios.
  5. Apr 6, 2019
    This is a great game overall, it won't be everyone (seems to be a love or hate it type game) and it is very buggy (although not game breaking) but it's a blast.

Firstly this game will NOT hold your hand, missions are left for you to figure out clues and explore the world to find what's going on. It's a bit of a mystery to unravel and I personally find it a great way of playing the game - there are no cut scenes and the "Story" unravels as you explore, find clues and find out whats been happening to people (there's no actual story as such, just a mystery to unravel at your own pace).

The world itself is massive, I seen some people say that it's baron and I couldn't disagree more. You won't find a loot box or golden gun every 10 seconds and you have to explore and cover large distances for the rewards (as I said this game won't hold your hand). The rewards are there (hidden bunkers for just 1 example) but you've gotta explore (which I love doing). The buildings are quite similar in some respects, I understand the "copy and paste" argument which is true to an extent (clearly the budget forced a bit of money saving here), but the buildings/trucks/cars/bunkers etc. while quite similar, have enough variety in their layout to keep it as engaging as possible, and as you progress you'll find slightly different buildings being introduced so I don't personally think its that bad, there's enough there for me.

Graphically (minus the bugs) the games pretty good, the day/night cycle and weather effects all make it a great experience. Sounds are nailed, really great - from gunfire to the 1980's vibe music. All of this adds up to a brilliant atmosphere, it nails the 80's theme (you'll see 80's posters, 80's hifi's and telephones etc. etc. which are really nice touches). Also part is the atmosphere are the moments of tension, wonderfully nailed and some genuine frights - alien trilogy-esc!

I find the game to be really playable, there's lots of looting to do in the towns and villages which can get a bit samey occasionally when going from house to house to scavenge resources, but the atmosphere is maintained and you'll be glad you took time to do this when the action starts... The enemy AI is very good indeed, the robots will flank you, call for help from other robots near by, and it's all unscripted and utterly good fun. Even hiding in a barn won't save you as the robot's have several tactics to flush you out - be prepared to run away as robots keep any damage you've done and you can come back to finish them off after re-grouping. Loads of options when fighting - you can put down gas canisters and lure enemies with a 80's boom box, or throw flares to distract them and much more.. it's a great tactical shooter. Loads of weapons, lots of hand guns through sub-machine guns, assault rifles up to bazookas and beyond (different weapon grades too, from grey dilapidated guns up to much better nick weapons that are more powerful). You can customize your 80's look (the developers had fun here!) anything from an 80's mullet, bright yellow gloves to crazy moon boots... its all here - great fun (some clothes have perks such as visibility reduction or bullet resistance too). On the downside for some there are no drivable vehicles, it's a slow paced tactical shooter/explorer game really.

In Multiplayer this game really shines. The coop is awesome, the game is harder on your own, I've played it lots with 2 friends and this is the best way to have the most fun - if you don't have any friends go online and find some - it's top banana here.

On the downside its incredibly buggy (not game breaking but some side missions don't work properly at the moment, the main quest is ok). Graphic glitches are annoying, sometimes enemies outside buildings melee you inside them, bullets go through walls sometimes too, its a bit annoying (hopefully this will be fixed). Playing in multiplayer switching to my infa-red scope immediately crashed the game so I couldn't use it until I was playing alone again.

The inventory is the worst inventory I have ever seen, it requires micro management - items don't stack on their own and it needs constant management. If you have space on a D-pad item, it doesn't stack to it and puts them item in the main inventory. If you use all your health in the D-pad item, it won't automatically put more health in from your inventory forcing you to do it yourself. Annoying.

Skills are important, you unlock them as your XP goes up and they make a real difference, it firstly felt bolted on to me but now I think I appreciate them a-lot more, this system isn't bad but pay attention and work out what you want before hand by clicking around and seeing whats on offer - some interesting perks here!

Overall a great game and if the bugs weren't present and the inventory sorted out I'd give it a 10. Its not for everyone, but a solid tactical shooting is a joy, slow paced explorer/shooter. Can't put it down (30 hrs in).
  6. Apr 2, 2019
    Metabashing ? A critic is aimed at having the scrutinized object to meet its potential happy audience .. Bashing is aimed at pleasing oneself by throwing bullyish and at times pretty unfair arguments - I hate, hence I exist.
    You can hate a game and yet, by your truly critical eye, have it to meet its audience - bashing is low passion, critic is deconstruction .. at the service of others passion (making you a saint in the process, wings and all).
    I understand the urge to warn our fellow gamers about what we take as a waste of time and money - but again, please give those strangers a honest and complete overview, so that they can make their own minds, according to their own inclinations - and yes ! masochism can be one of those .. Amen.

"Generation zero", then.

Graphics : it's visually stunning, no less, vibrant with atmosphere. The copy-paste argument stands for the most common buildings (houses, barn, shed) - but you won't spend much time in them, unless you use them to fight (in which case you won't give a damn, busy at surviving).

Difficulty : it is real - you charge headlong, you die on the spot or waste precious ammo. The game is about tactics, and mastering them (fireworks to saturate captors, tape recorders to attract, gas cans initially placed to be blasted from a distance, etc). Sometimes evading combat is the best option .. if you can !

Combat : the choice of ammo is crucial, depending on the target .. and your skill (aiming at soft spots in the heat of the battle can be tricky ! - shotguns deliver ..)
    It's a demanding game, and a rewarding one too - kill an enemy without blasting him to smithereens, and you might get very useful spare parts ..

Mission structure : the developers won't take you too blatantly by the hand. You start by finding (or not) a clue in the environment, and then you unroll it all (for instance, the headlights of a crashed car leads to its trunk leads to a written note leads to a place somewhere on the map).
    You see a dirt road that leads apparently nowhere ? - take your time, follow it, there might (just might) be something there ..
    The overall investigation stands - what the hell happened ?

Walking simulator, they say : the rythm is not that of an all-out war (at least initially, I'm 25 slow hours into the game), it's more a matter of picking your own fights. Getting the right gear, setting an ambush (a lot more so in coop, but guerrilla tactics do work in solo thanks to the generous array of gizmos), enjoying a sunset, waiting for the night to fall so as to pick up the whereabouts ot your enemies .. More like "Slow and furious", if I were to describe it.
    But again, when you manage to unlock a safe haven, your character is then free to teleport back to it. And characters do run, at that, at a pace clearly higher than in many AAA fps I've been experiencing ..

Inventory : a lot of possibilities implies a lot of different gear .. yet space is limited (though it can be upgraded, as many other things). You are forced to choose, as if you were actually carrying all this silly stuff ! Those choices, as irritating as they may be, contribute to the atmosphere and the construction of your character - you are what you do, and how you do it. Lean and mean, you prowl ..

Make up your mind, then - Sweden looks great, by the way.
  7. Mar 31, 2019
    I gotta say, this game is horrible and I am from Sweden. So figured I'd enjoy the recognisable environment a bit. But the combat is by far the worst I've ever seen (there even is zero feedback wether you hit or not), the graphics are like an impressive early 2000 game, everything is just flat and repeated textures and the missions is just guess your way. And if you play with a friend, he'sI gotta say, this game is horrible and I am from Sweden. So figured I'd enjoy the recognisable environment a bit. But the combat is by far the worst I've ever seen (there even is zero feedback wether you hit or not), the graphics are like an impressive early 2000 game, everything is just flat and repeated textures and the missions is just guess your way. And if you play with a friend, he's gotta restart from the beginning every single time (keeps his loot though). And the inventory management is beyond horrible. Everything in the inventory is beyond understanding. You can also click a button like switch weapon and it does though between 1st to 5th try. It's broken, boring and horrible. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! If I as a Swede and part of the culture can't make it last past 15 minutes you're screwed. Those who love this game really have very low expectations or are payed of. 2/10. Collapse
  8. Mar 29, 2019
    Absolutely awful, one of the worst games I've played in a long time

The mission structure is almost non existent. The the enemy AI is either super tough or super dumb, the map blatantly copy-pastes assets everywhere. I also experienced the game crashing on me quite a few times. I did play the game with some strangers in Co-op and the most fun we had was laughing at how broken the game is.
  9. Mar 28, 2019
    Again another developer who thinks we all like Dark Souls and enjoy dieing all the time. Sigh i'm getting sick and tired of this. Controls are horrible on console and another developer that i will never ever buy another game from again.
  10. Mar 27, 2019
    Loving it so far. Played solo for about 8 hours (literally combing every part of the map) and I’ve only just tried to locate someone at the sports grounds. I’m just taking my time and loving it, graphics are pretty damn good in my opinion and the environment is stunning. Long day/night cycle and awesome weather (snow will blow your mind) and the sound is especially good- you really mustLoving it so far. Played solo for about 8 hours (literally combing every part of the map) and I’ve only just tried to locate someone at the sports grounds. I’m just taking my time and loving it, graphics are pretty damn good in my opinion and the environment is stunning. Long day/night cycle and awesome weather (snow will blow your mind) and the sound is especially good- you really must try play with headphones if you can.

Tonight was the first time I had the opportunity to play with a friend and that is what has spurred me into writing this review. All the “good times” I was having were suddenly doubled, the game really comes into itself when you can play it with friends.

All in all and so far into the little I’ve played I can say it was well worth the money I parted. I’d also be prepared to pay for any DLC that may (and hopefully will) arise as I can see my friends and getting into this game in the months ahead.
  11. Mar 26, 2019
    Generation Zero is a nice Open World shooter with a lot of potential.

Some Pros and Cons: -Gun Gameplay and fighting against the machines is fun -Good controls -Great Sound -Decent Graphics and nice Effects like Weather, falling leaves. -Dynamic Weather and Day/Night -Nice Map and beautiful landscapes -Story not bad so far -Nice Weapons and good tactical equipment to fight the
    Generation Zero is a nice Open World shooter with a lot of potential.

Some Pros and Cons:

-Gun Gameplay and fighting against the machines is fun
    -Good controls
    -Great Sound
    -Decent Graphics and nice Effects like Weather, falling leaves.
    -Dynamic Weather and Day/Night
    -Nice Map and beautiful landscapes
    -Story not bad so far
    -Nice Weapons and good tactical equipment to fight the robots
    -Great Soundtrack
    -A lot of gear to customize your character
    -Co-op with other 3 players that is fun !

CONS:

-A lot of Copy and Paste in the map. Not many types of Houses and Objects
    -No vehicle to travel. (At least a Bike would be something....or a pogo stick)
    -Some Bugs (some of them crash the game sometimes)....please a patch to the devs

Verdict:

This game is a decent open world shooter with some usable tactics you can use on the machines. It has a great atmosphere that even a lot of triple aaa titles can not offer.

I played about 18 hours now and have a lot of fun. This game really surprised me. Its not perfect and cannot compete with the good triple a titles, but for a price of 32 euro its more than just good. i would pay the full price for it to be honest.

Give it a chance if you like survival tactical shooters with co op.
  12. Mar 31, 2019

1. May 10, 2019
    Coming from seasoned developers who’ve turned out great games like Just Cause and Mad Max, the quality of this brand-new IP is incredibly disappointing. I hope that it continues to be patched and improved, because the current state of affairs can’t possibly showcase the vision Avalanche must have originally intended.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    May 3, 2019
    While there’s not much to Avalanche’s mechanical uprising, running-and-gunning bad robots with buds is a blast. The arresting Scandinavian vistas are worth visiting. [Issue@162, p.93]
  3. Apr 29, 2019
    If you’re the sort of person who enjoys aimless wandering but doesn’t like the idea of getting up off the couch and actually doing it, then you might be in luck here. Otherwise, don’t bother, because it’s absolutely not worth it.