9.1

1. Apr 28, 2018
    As a huge fan of the God of War series and The Last of Us, I was really excited for God of War, and seeing the many perfect score reviews come in made me drop everything to get it at launch. I knew this game would be different, and seemed really cool. Well, I was disappointed... a lot.

The premise seems interesting, where Kratos ventures to a mountain with his son, Atreus. They clearly take a page out of The Last of Us' book, but this is much worse. Neither of the two are as likable as Joel or Ellie, and their relationship does not develop as well either. I don't want to sound like I'm comparing too much to another game, but since they clearly used the other game as an inspiration, it's hard not to. It is cool how the game is all in one take, instead of having separate cutscenes, and their are some interesting side characters, but overall the story is not that great or even close to as epic as the older GoW games.

I thought that the graphics were great, with several beautiful environments and moments, and the voice acting and sound design was excellent as well.

Now then, the gameplay. I didn't like it, at all. The combat is clunky and dull, where you have very limited weapons and fight repetitive enemy types numerous times. You mainly use one weapon, an axe, but it gets really really old to slash enemies with it, throw it, and do the same finishing moves over and over again. The boss fights aren't that great or exciting, either. I honestly felt like the combat was like the Witcher or Dark Souls, but more boring and repetitive, reminding me of an early PS3 game.There are some complex puzzles, new for a series, that are relatively fun.

I am just so disappointed by this game, and do not understand the hype, at all. I know people will say those who don't like it is because it isn't like the older games, but it isn't that. I understand that combat isn't supposed to be the only focus anymore, and the game is supposed t include more of the story and have more nuanced, less brutal/graphic violence. But the combat isn't all that exciting, and with a subpar story and characters, there really isn't much here to be excited about. Other reboots or gameplay changes in series, such as Zelda BoTW, Tomb Raider, and MGS 5 have been great, so I was hopeful for this title. But instead, the changes made here are not successful and have created a very vanilla game. I will say that this is the most overrated game on the PS4.
  2. Mar 16, 2019
    Ich mag zwar die cinematischen 30 Bilder die Sekunde und gute Grafik aber spielerisch hat mich God of War doch sehr enttäuscht als großer Playstation Fan der ersten Stunde hatte ich wesentlich höhere Erwartungen.
  3. Feb 27, 2019
    Jogo horrível não vale 1 centavo... Mataram a originalidade do jogo. Como podem lançár um game de ação se o personagem nem pula. A sony está cada vez mais preguiçosa e lança apenas jogos estilo filme onde se joga apenas apertando apenas 1 botão e vai passando toda história do jogo ate zerar em pouquíssimas horas...lamentável...
  4. May 11, 2018
    When compared to previous GOW games it is extremely boring, Main story is very short and mundane, Kratos is far from being a god, enemies are all the same only in different colors, and there are absolutely NO boss fights whatsoever. What happened to old good giant bosses? Fighting system is also a disaster, All in all, everything that made God of War different from other games have beenWhen compared to previous GOW games it is extremely boring, Main story is very short and mundane, Kratos is far from being a god, enemies are all the same only in different colors, and there are absolutely NO boss fights whatsoever. What happened to old good giant bosses? Fighting system is also a disaster, All in all, everything that made God of War different from other games have been ripped off and left us with only another mainstream game which has nothing new to offer. I am totally disappointed with what GOW has become. GOW is dead for me. Expand
  5. May 11, 2018
    This an average game at best you fight the same boss like 15 times 2 different ones repeated the valks&trolls. Graphics look good but the gameplay is very repetitive cant skip past foes even if your back tracking to an old area which you do alot of, theres only like 4 real boss fights the rpg mechanics are basically useless cause no matter how much you upgrade your gear it wont get betterThis an average game at best you fight the same boss like 15 times 2 different ones repeated the valks&trolls. Graphics look good but the gameplay is very repetitive cant skip past foes even if your back tracking to an old area which you do alot of, theres only like 4 real boss fights the rpg mechanics are basically useless cause no matter how much you upgrade your gear it wont get better just grab high rarety with the highest number theres no skill its an easy game and simply a cash grab tried to rip off the last of us by trying to make you care about the boy as he is referred to by kratos over 9000 times, the story is honestly pretty lacking as well i didn't really care for it basically one long escort mission with good graphics. So yea 4 out of 10 average game not terrible but definitely does not deserve any prasie like it has been receiving but theres an honest review from a gamer who has been around since the n64/ps2 days Expand
  6. Dec 9, 2018
    Pésimo, mucho gráfico pero poco la jugabilidad que caracteriza a un god of war, demasiada cinematica que rompe con la fluidez
  7. Mar 7, 2019
    If this is what's considered the"pinnacle" of gaming nowadays then I don't know what the worst could possibly be, next to being a last of us wannabe game which in itself is as alarming as it can be because ding ding, even more walking awaits you, god of bore doesn't seem to be good even in it's action parts considering it's a hack n slash game, it completely ignores the bars set by otherIf this is what's considered the"pinnacle" of gaming nowadays then I don't know what the worst could possibly be, next to being a last of us wannabe game which in itself is as alarming as it can be because ding ding, even more walking awaits you, god of bore doesn't seem to be good even in it's action parts considering it's a hack n slash game, it completely ignores the bars set by other titles in the genre such as bayonetta, dmc and nier automata. Instead, it opts for a gameplay style that tries to mimic the souls games, except much worse and all of that due to its over the shoulder zoomed camera that was included only for the sake of "immersion", other than that the combat could have been at least decent, but oh wait what's that unnecessary rpg mechanics and cooldown moves? You bet! It also doesn't help that the game completely throws away its strive for realism and instead presents to you bad juggling and combo-ing animations with enemies teleporting in order to land attacks that otherwise wouldn't connect, that and among many other flaws that for some reason reviewers "forgot" to address. Oh and did I mention walking? Expand
  8. May 8, 2018
    God of War 4 made a fine show of well-made combat mechanics, groundbreaking video game animation and graphics, impressive audio, a superb plot, and a cast of excellent characters. However, it has disappointingly average bosses. God of War has annoying and inconsistent enemies and enemy levels. Off-screen cheap deaths are abundant. Mindless looking-around puzzles plague the majority of GodGod of War 4 made a fine show of well-made combat mechanics, groundbreaking video game animation and graphics, impressive audio, a superb plot, and a cast of excellent characters. However, it has disappointingly average bosses. God of War has annoying and inconsistent enemies and enemy levels. Off-screen cheap deaths are abundant. Mindless looking-around puzzles plague the majority of God of War 4’s puzzles. It’s exceedingly time-wasting and repetitive with its overly bulky loot system. The menu system is a piss-poor mess of convolution. The camera is uncomfortably zoomed-in far too much. There are numerous instances of confusing over-automation of character and world actions. The game has intolerably sluggish pacing as a whole. The ending is pathetic and not rewarding to the player. There is a jarring non-existence of a smooth transition from the third God of War to the fourth. God of War suffers from an overuse of derivative unnecessary RPG elements from Skyrim/Breath of the Wild. With all this information in mind, I have no choice as an honest reviewer who thoroughly beat the first three original glorious installments of God of War, but to award this game a generous 5 out of 10. Expand
  9. May 12, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mediocre game, because they gave up its originality and everything that made GOW and Kratos what they are. Important note: If you're still under the effect of the hype that was created on purpose as a marketing strategy to sell this game, you're not going to like this review. GOW games are my all time favorites, so I had high expectations for this one since it had large shoes to fill. Unfortunately, I ended up being disappointed, and for many reasons if you're patient enough to read on. I'm not saying the game is entirely bad, but for me there were many more cons than pros. I'm going to explain as best as I can:

Pros:
    1. Good graphics that are highly detailed (even though there's a lack of impressive concepts compared to previous titles).
    2. I love how sassy Atreus and Mimir are.

Cons:
    1. This game does NOT feel like GOW AT ALL. It seems like they've been trying so hard to copy The Last of US and other games that they ended up sacrificing the game's originality (and I assume for money and reviews). Nothing is unique about this GOW, and it offered absolutely NOTHING other games didn't already offer, so it ended up looking like a hybrid of The Last of Us, Dark Souls, The Witcher 3, and Lord of the Rings!! The game had lost its unique identity we all know and love because it has changed too much.
    2. Predictable, weak plot. I don't know why they gave up how angry Kratos was, wasn't his extreme rage what made him unique? Now that he's calm, what's so special about him? It feels like they tried to make a meaningful interaction between Kratos and his son, but anyone could tell from the beginning that it was gonna be a typical father and son story: they would have issues, but they would kiss and make up at the end. That was pretty much the message delivered. True, there are some interesting plot twists, like when Blades of Chaos came into the picture, or when Zeus and Athena appeared, but it seems they purposefully played on nostalgia to sell a story which would have been bleak otherwise. If you take a step back and look at the story as a whole, you'll notice that nothing of major importance happened. 3. The new "menu" system is unnecessarily overcomplicated. I think it was an attempt on their part to look smart by not making GOW look simple. IMO, simplicity isn't a bad thing. It can make things more enjoyable.
    4. Kratos feels very weak. Unlike previous titles, you will never feel powerful playing this one. He doesn't feel like a god at all. He feels like just an old man that anyone can kick his butt (seriously, ANYONE, including regular monsters!!) provided that they are 2 levels higher!! There are COUNTLESS enemies that can kill Kratos in ONE HIT, and if you've played the game you know I'm not exaggerating. He struggles with regular enemies almost as much as he struggles with bosses. This game forced me to play much more defensively simply because you'll lose over and over if you play aggressively like previous titles. I even shamefully ran away from many encounters!! Kratos is a lot less brutal than he used to be, evidenced by the way he killed Baldur (he snapped his neck which shows a much nicer Kratos than I'm used to). You'll never see a moment where you say "Damn!! Only Kratos can do that!!". Most of the fights will leave you with a sense of frustration rather than a sense of triumph and feeling like a powerful badass.
    5. The free camera makes you feel lost. I loved the guided camera in the past and how it makes everything look cinematic. Plus, the free camera is a huge pain during fights, especially that Kratos can't block from all directions like he used to. You'll find yourself losing focus on the actual fight and focusing instead on turning the camera so you can face your enemies, which takes away a lot from how enjoyable battles were in the past. Speaking of which, there's an extreme lack of epic music!! GOW was also known for its gripping music that gets you hooked, but this one feels like it's almost deafeningly silent from start to finish!!
    6. Lack of variety of monsters and bosses. They literally just change the colors and give them new names because their color is different!!
    7. Lack of challenging puzzles. There's basically one pattern of puzzles, once you get the hang of it, the remaining puzzles become very repetitive.
    All in all, this game was "ok" but not worth my high expectations and I definitely don't imagine myself having fun replaying it. Cory Barlog directed GOW II, which is my personal favorite in the series. I still prefer GOW II, so it can only mean that this one was disappointing to me. He had a huge opportunity to turn the tide without messing up the game so much, but he failed to do so because he let his personal life affect his work. It's hard for me to say that. I'm not just some casual player. I take this game very seriously and I never imagined myself saying all that about a game that belongs to the series that I love so much. Please stop being in denial.
  10. Mar 21, 2019
    Funnish but massively overrated. I have been a fan of the series from the beginning and this game might as well not even be a God of War game. The visuals are great but it's combat is like it wants to be the 78th Dark Souls clone. They took every single thing that made the series (button mashing combat, the violence, an angry Kratos) and threw it all out the window. This game is easily theFunnish but massively overrated. I have been a fan of the series from the beginning and this game might as well not even be a God of War game. The visuals are great but it's combat is like it wants to be the 78th Dark Souls clone. They took every single thing that made the series (button mashing combat, the violence, an angry Kratos) and threw it all out the window. This game is easily the most disappointing game I've ever played. Expand
  11. Jul 30, 2018
    Very good story telling, nice touches during the entire game, excellent graphic/audio... everything else needs to be re-designed from scratch especially the combat system, which is pure crap. It doesn't allow me to feel Kratos as the God of war... I mean... in 2017 enemies could break my combo but I can't. I can perform my special moves but the enemy can go away... so different rules forVery good story telling, nice touches during the entire game, excellent graphic/audio... everything else needs to be re-designed from scratch especially the combat system, which is pure crap. It doesn't allow me to feel Kratos as the God of war... I mean... in 2017 enemies could break my combo but I can't. I can perform my special moves but the enemy can go away... so different rules for the player and the enemy. That's is not justifable in 2018 for a AAA game. Are you **** kidding me? What's this **** Santa Monics Studio, please listen.. put your combat in the trash then take inspiration from the batman arkham series or Doom or bayonetta/DMC. Don't make a copy of a souls game and do much more and focused playtesting session with the right players (of course).
    Useless skills tree/combos, abilities spells/potions/whatever, all the **** rpg elements and last but not least the main map which is not helpfull to guide the player to a destination. Even the compass is useless.. and why it doesn't work in the Ivaldi's fog level? This has no sense at all.. Who designed that?
    And ladies and gentlemen...the main feature of this generation.. the farming.. man... a God of war with a farming section to unlock something that potentially could be not helpfull for the player against this **** The guy who greenlighted this needs to be fired immediately. How is this can be possible to even thinking to add a farming section??? Who is thinking that farming is fun???
    And for what? Levelling up is totally useless... at certain point of the game; I should be stronger than when the story begin.. right? No, I am not. For an unknown reason your power goes "back in time" because enemy are cheating. And cheating is used to cover the lacks of a poor combat game design with the common and abused excuses of "the hardcore player likes that". I have a news for you.. no, this is not fun and this is not for an "hardcore player". This is for people which have not yet understood what is fun and what's not. Doing thousand of time the same thing until your execution is totally perfect (due to a poor game design) is not fun. What is fun is try to find a way to win even if you have done some mistakes by using the skills (and game abilities) you have acquired during the game. Here is only a question of do the right thing at the right time and repeat it hundred of time it untill your enemy life bar is empty.
    Please, give the game in the hand of its original creator David Jaffe or someone who know what God of War game is and how to do a compelling AAA game.

PS:
    for the first time, I sold my copy of a god of war game.
  12. May 21, 2018
    It's a good game but it's not God of War anymore, I hope the sequel will be more action orientated.
  13. May 26, 2018
    Everyone who is a fan. And he went through all the previous parts of GOW, he boldly say that this is not God of War !!! Yes, the graphics sound cool. But nothing else. The mechanics of the game are fatal !!! I am a fan of GOW and not Darksouls or other crap of this type.
  14. Aug 5, 2018
    Nice graphics, but gameplay is the most important thing in a videogame and the gameplay here is just poor. Go pick up Devil May Cry , Ninja Gaiden , Bayonetta , Metal Gear Rising because those games are all 10/10s.
  15. Aug 22, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Игра заканчивается спустя час игрового времени. Вы знакомитесь с сюжетом, персонажами, проходите весьма недурственный босс файт и...все. Дальше только рутина. Бэктрекинг, искусственное увеличение сложности с помощью высокоуровневых врагов, которые убивают тебя с одного удара и прочие радости. Хочешь завалить этих ничем не отличающихся от предыдущих скелетов, с уровнем +2 выше твоего? Бегай по локациям, как в жопу ужаленный, и собирай, собирай, собирай...шмот, удары, амулеты и тд и тп...это нереально скучно. А если ты вдруг встречаешь хоть какой то уникальный контент (с освобождением дракона, например), то тебя сразу же обламывают репетативностью. 1) С каких пор Кратос освобождает драконов?! Кратос УБИВАЕТ драконов! Убивать весело! Искать и ломать печати по всей карте в течении 40 минут, чтобы его освободить - вот это НЕ весело! А когда ящер свободен, тебя добивают сообщением! Вы освободили дракона! Вам доступно новое испытание: освободи еще 2-х драконов! Что?!?! Еще минимум два раза пройти через это дерьмо?!?! Ну нееет, ребятки. Диск в коробку, коробку на авито. Expand
  16. Oct 30, 2018
    It's so much disappointing that in a pursuit for new trends of the open world, and Norse mythology authors ended up with this. It's not an action game anymore, but an under-semi-RPG with a lot of boring cursed dull looting of health and coins for upgrades wandering throughout quest-like locations where the hero must solve labyrinth puzzles of how to get to some distant sight or where theIt's so much disappointing that in a pursuit for new trends of the open world, and Norse mythology authors ended up with this. It's not an action game anymore, but an under-semi-RPG with a lot of boring cursed dull looting of health and coins for upgrades wandering throughout quest-like locations where the hero must solve labyrinth puzzles of how to get to some distant sight or where the secret location is to collect all the achievements. The biggest concern about this game is what it tries to be being not at the same time. The story could be so great if not buried under all these garbage of nonsense elements which brings nothing to the gameplay. It is in the worst sense as bad as Hellblade was with being just a bunch of sequential connected labyrinth puzzles scenes all of which have the same pattern in solution. The game tries to mimic Far Cry and Hellblade and falls apart from what it ought to be. Even last Assasins Creed with its open world is more consistent in its performance than everything being made about Norse myths. And the last one thing - Norse myth based stories are boring. Expand
  17. Feb 18, 2019
    I'm sorry. its beyond me the general buzz around this game. Yes, it's graphics are impressive, combat is fun... But storyline sucks. If there is a storyline at all. When the game hinted something bigger and better would happen, it didn't. T' was only a feint. It names places you can't travel to, enemies you won't meet. "But there will be a sequel". I surely hope so, because as it is, it'sI'm sorry. its beyond me the general buzz around this game. Yes, it's graphics are impressive, combat is fun... But storyline sucks. If there is a storyline at all. When the game hinted something bigger and better would happen, it didn't. T' was only a feint. It names places you can't travel to, enemies you won't meet. "But there will be a sequel". I surely hope so, because as it is, it's only a half game, and definitely not worthy of GOTY. Expand
  18. Oct 3, 2018
    Do you like QTE's? How about unskippable cutscenes? Stiff, janky, slow combat? Then I've got a game you're gonna love! Presenting God of War AKA The Last God of Dark Souls... All jokes aside this game is nothing the hype surrounding it would have you believe. Kratos is now only a "God" in name since he's just grumpy dad #1. None of the brilliantly difficult style of puzzles from the olderDo you like QTE's? How about unskippable cutscenes? Stiff, janky, slow combat? Then I've got a game you're gonna love! Presenting God of War AKA The Last God of Dark Souls... All jokes aside this game is nothing the hype surrounding it would have you believe. Kratos is now only a "God" in name since he's just grumpy dad #1. None of the brilliantly difficult style of puzzles from the older titles transferred to this one. Instead puzzles consist of throw axe, pull switch, retrieve axe. Also those epic level boss fights from the other titles, who needs them? Now you can fight a dozen identical trolls, a few identical rock monsters, and a bro with serious mommy issues. This is not God of War Expand
  19. Aug 20, 2018
    Yes, the graphics are stunning and the storyline was promising. But the gameplay is not at all what I expected it to be. Very limited moveset and very little variety in the enemies you encounter. All around I was very disappointed with the result of the game.
  20. Jan 27, 2019
    Overrated but still fun. Just be prepared to grind for hours to get over that progression barrier. I got way too bored with the grinding to bother finishing this game.

tl;dr:
    Good game, not worth the grind though
  21. Jul 9, 2018
    Most overrated game ever. Gave up half way through once I realised it wasn't going to live up to all of the hyperbole or even be fun. Metal Gear Survive is way better!!
  22. Jul 30, 2018
    Look guys The Last of Us 2 is out and it's a Dark Souls clone!
    Look guys The Last of Us 2 is out and it's a Dark Souls clone!
    I mean, what happened to Kratos temper? Why is he acting like a some sort of silent monk now...what happened to his arrogance and confidence? Isn't that what made him popular to begin with?The combat is really shallow and underwhelming compared to the firs 3 God of War games(I would say even those two spin off games for PSP and God of War: Ascension had better).Rehashes of boss fights and it gets very repetitive..I finished all other God Of Wars multiple times but im never touching this one again.
    The game has moved away from Hack n Slash for unknown reasons and now is just another Dark Souls wannabe.
  23. Aug 4, 2018
    This is my first entry into the GoW franchise, and I gotta say I'm not impressed at all. I'm not sure how the other GoW games fare, but if they're anything like this one, I'm genuinely surprised as to how this franchise has gotten so popular.

This game is simply not worth 60 bucks. At its core, GoW is an average parent-child bonding experience that has been integrated far better in other games. That being said, the story isn't necessarily bad, it just isn't as amazing as everyone is making it out to be: it's a serviceable narrative that you'll probably stop caring about halfway in.

The combat mechanics of the game are actually pretty alright, but nothing to write home about. As you progress through the game, you unlock combos that make the game more fun and more intense, but unfortunately you won't fight any interesting foes that'll give you a challenge. Most of the time you fight small humanoid enemies and overgrown trolls; occasionally a good boss battle will pop up, but they are few and far between. Honestly, the combat system of GoW is wasted on horrible enemy design.

The graphics of the game are impressive, and the scenery is truly mesmerizing, but as you explore you start to notice the world is pretty bland and for the most part not meant to be explored. As people have already mentioned, this game is a simple "go from point A to point B", with few detours along the way. Dungeon puzzles are rather simple and just put in to give the illusion of a well-designed world, when in actuality the extent of these puzzles are "throw your axe to freeze a bridge in place, walk on the bridge, recall your axe, rinse and repeat"

So, GoW is basically a linear gameplay experience that offers nothing in the way of exploring its world or utilizing its combat system against challenging foes. If you want a game that actually offers a riveting experience filled with challenges and world exploration, try Bloodborne; if you want all that and an interesting narrative, try Witcher 3; if you want all that and the same parent-child bonding experience, play The Last of Us. Heck, I don't understand how GoW is getting so much praise when it does things that have already been done except much worse.
  24. Jan 6, 2019
    It's a great game, really. Probably the best I've played in the past year. One of the best I've ever played. Only, I've had to remove all of its points due to the incredibly hard optional fights within the game. If I wanted Dark Souls, I would have bought Dark Souls. I'm not a fan of masochism. I value story and strategy and despise intricate button pressing where one wrong move means thatIt's a great game, really. Probably the best I've played in the past year. One of the best I've ever played. Only, I've had to remove all of its points due to the incredibly hard optional fights within the game. If I wanted Dark Souls, I would have bought Dark Souls. I'm not a fan of masochism. I value story and strategy and despise intricate button pressing where one wrong move means that it's over. These fights were so incredibly emotionally strenuous (ending in me almost tearing my controller in half over several occasions--thank God PS4 controllers are pretty hardy. Oh, and thank God my TV doesn't have feelings, cause in that case it would have committed ritual suicide after hearing some of the complex strings of accusatory expletives.) that I can't really give this game what it's worth. Expand
  25. May 4, 2018
    I really wanted to like this game...but I don't. I don't like the lack of an open world. I have tried playing this game about 20 times and can't play for more than an hour without getting bored. I know that an open world doesn't equal a good game, but for me in 2018, the lack of an open world equals a not good game. I think it looks really nice but I really HATE being stuck on a path.I really wanted to like this game...but I don't. I don't like the lack of an open world. I have tried playing this game about 20 times and can't play for more than an hour without getting bored. I know that an open world doesn't equal a good game, but for me in 2018, the lack of an open world equals a not good game. I think it looks really nice but I really HATE being stuck on a path. I understand that a lot of people like this game, and more power to them, but for me you need an open map nowadays or I don't want to give you $60. Expand
  26. Aug 9, 2018
    I believe Sony or Santa Monica is screwing the review system by paying people to review this better than it really is. Very overrated. Just look at most 10/10 reviews here, this is the only game the profiles rated and they can't even properly explain why, just saying generic one paragraph blabber.
    Back when I played the other entries in the God of War franchise, I was amazed from the beginning to the end in every aspect of the games. A fresh new gameplay would be welcome, if properly executed. But this new "God of War" game is very very disappointing. the gameplay feels really clunky, you cant attack sideways or backwards, you can't easily move to parry enemies on your back, kratos only hits foward, this all adds up to a horrible gameplay when there are multiple enemies because of how the camera works in this game, so you have to rely on hud indicators. Also fighting is just not fun anymore, it feels like a boring repetitive chore. the bosses and enemies combat are very uninspired comparing to other exclusives like Bloodborne and Horizon: Zero Dawn. Even the attack animations and sounds feel repetitive. for some reason this old kratos has to bawl every time he rolls. Storywise I got really let down by this new Kratos. Even if he changed, It's pretty hard to imagine him as the same kratos from the other games. This doesn't get close deliver on it's promise to revitalize the franchise. Gameplay is so bad that it pretty much solely undermines the experience, this would be a better experience if this was a movie.
  27. Feb 6, 2019
    How could you downgrade this from the first game! I guess it could be due to repetetive gameplay but seriously I regret buying this stupid game. You've lost a fan, zombie labs.
  28. Feb 8, 2019
    Унылые драки. Унылые ребусы. Жалею о потраченных деньгах.
  29. May 26, 2018
    I was really hyped for this game and was left really disappointed. I spend £46 and i have to say the only thing good was the graphics. I found the game really boring and the same thing all the time. Pick up blue stones to reveal floating paths and throw an axe at bells. So many ridiculous things like enemies that come out of the floor and his axe that acts like a boomerang. Its like theyI was really hyped for this game and was left really disappointed. I spend £46 and i have to say the only thing good was the graphics. I found the game really boring and the same thing all the time. Pick up blue stones to reveal floating paths and throw an axe at bells. So many ridiculous things like enemies that come out of the floor and his axe that acts like a boomerang. Its like they made it up as they go along. Once you complete it then what ? No multiplayer, no edit mode no noting. Just a small story and that's it. I tried so hard to enjoy it but after 4 days i had to sell it. I bought Far Cry 5 instead which offers me much more for my money. God of war would be ok for £10 not £46. Expand
  30. May 24, 2018
    I stopped playing the game shortly after the "AMAZING FIRST BOSS" because I was too bored with the story and gameplay to go on. The game is very much clinging to the coattails of TLoU, which had the same cheap gimmick (hard-boiled action-dad and his spunky kid) but much, much better writing. I only gave the game a chance in the first place because critics claimed it did somethingI stopped playing the game shortly after the "AMAZING FIRST BOSS" because I was too bored with the story and gameplay to go on. The game is very much clinging to the coattails of TLoU, which had the same cheap gimmick (hard-boiled action-dad and his spunky kid) but much, much better writing. I only gave the game a chance in the first place because critics claimed it did something interesting with Norse mythology. However, I found Kratos' son, Atreus, to be an annoying dispenser of Cliff's Notes and the first boss (who WOULD NOT SHUT UP) to be just another in a long line of GoW pro-wrestlers. Seriously, the first boss was terribly-written.

The fluid, button-mashing combat that the GoW series is known for is gone in this entry. The camera is too close, attacks too slow, and errors too costly. Combat is slow, walking is slow, everything about the game is just too slow. The game world is beautifully designed but could not save me from being bored by the story and combat. This entry of the series claims to be a mature reinvention of a notoriously campy (despite its subject matter) series. GoW (2018) takes itself much too seriously to still have WWE-reject bosses. Games writers need to push themselves harder to make the actions of their characters (even when motivations are concealed) more realistic. It is good to be different and I am always hopeful to be engaged by a great story and interesting characters, but this game doesn't have any of that for me. I hated the gameplay, was not inspired by the story, and was unmoved by the characters.
  31. Dec 23, 2018
    What does this game do better than any other action adventure game? The dynamic between Kratos and Atreus is so forced and it seaps into every other aspect of the game from its gameplay, music to its story.

They made it unnecessarily deep. There was nothing wrong with the arcadey gameplay of God of War 1-3.
  32. Feb 6, 2019
    The story is less interesting, enemies are repetitive and also they killed God of War franchise. overall this game its so lackluster, and wait for the paid content lol
  33. Jul 28, 2018
    One word: BORING. I suggest that it be played for an hour before going to bed, so it will help you relax and sleep well. Repetitive combats and poor graphics. Inexplicable hype. Certainly the disappointment of the year.
  34. Feb 1, 2019
    God of War for PS4 is far too difficult even on the easiest setting. I couldn't get past the first boss (The minotaur like creature). And I am not just a casual gamer, I play plenty of games. But this feels like Elex level of difficulty where the bosses are far too overpowered for the player on easy. Not easy at all. Plus it seems to be a game that's just all about combat not much else.God of War for PS4 is far too difficult even on the easiest setting. I couldn't get past the first boss (The minotaur like creature). And I am not just a casual gamer, I play plenty of games. But this feels like Elex level of difficulty where the bosses are far too overpowered for the player on easy. Not easy at all. Plus it seems to be a game that's just all about combat not much else. Not recommended. Expand
  35. Mar 19, 2019
    Je suis très déçu par la conception du jeu et espère que sony fera mieux la prochaine fois.
  36. Jan 11, 2019
    There's so much to like and love about this game - but in the end everything is ruined by a few horrible flaws in the game design.

Let's start off with the good parts though. Albeit off to a slow start the story is quite exciting, as is the father-son-dynamic once it starts evolving. The visuals are great too, as is the art of the game which really brings Midgard to life. Many of the characters met throughout the game is highly likable too, and oftentimes quite humorous.

What bothered me to the degree that I eventually broke the game disk is the fighting mechanics though. It's not all bad, with loads of combos and possibilities to explore. But some bosses are just to hard to beat, even in story more. At least for a PC-gamer such as myself. The first boss nearly made me tear my hairs off, and that was within the first half an hour of the game. Later on one kept me repeating the same dull, pointless and repetitive moves for four hours until I eventually gave up and broke the disk.

And don't get me wrong, I appreciate a challenge. But when the only challenge it to press the correct combination of buttons at exactly the right time like a hundred times over, as is the case here, I despise it.

Thus I can't recommend the game. At least not for casual "play for the story"-kind of gamers as myself.
  37. May 23, 2018
    El juego esta increíblemente sobrevalorado, es un juego con unos gráficos increíbles y ya esta, como película no esta mal pero como videojuego deja mucho que desear, por ejemplo:
    En las plataformas no te puedes caer. ¿¿¿¿¿????
    De hecho no te puedes caer de ningún sitio ni precipicios ni puentes... Los puzzles son ridiculamente faciles. Las muertes viscerales se repiten una barbaridad.
    En las plataformas no te puedes caer. ¿¿¿¿¿????
    De hecho no te puedes caer de ningún sitio ni precipicios ni puentes...
    Los puzzles son ridiculamente faciles.
    Las muertes viscerales se repiten una barbaridad.
    Las cinematecas demasiado largas
    Las frases absurdas (sobretodo las de atreus)
    La historia no es nada original trillada a mas no poder.
    Pocos bosses y repetidos.
    No es nada regulable...
  38. Nov 16, 2018
    This is most disappointment 2018. Boring boat gameplay, backtracking, none gore, terrible level design, very bad graphic sudennly looks like PS2 era. Why second plan is so blurry?
  39. May 6, 2018
    Buy this game with the understanding that it's a 6/10 or 7/10. There is nothing that makes this game 10/10, at all.

If you play this game expecting it to be 10/10, you will constantly be asking yourself "How is this game 10/10? This is broken, this doesn't work, this is redundant, this is repetitive, etc." You will find way too much to critique about this game if you have played any other game at all.

In short,
    What is broken and poorly polished:
    -Controls.
    -Combat balance
    -Camera (in combat)
    -Hitreg
    -Stats. => RPG element destroyed.
    -Loot
    -Story
    -Boss fights.

Things that ARE 10/10
    -Environment-> this one is 8/10, but it's still good. Nothing you will take screenshots of, but very pleasing.
    -Dialogue
    -Visuals
    -Dialogues can be interrupted and are then resumed by NPCs when it's safe.
    -The first boss fight(3/4 of it is scripted, though). But it's **** awesome. It's the ONLY boss fight that is good too.
    -NO Microtransactions

Only the cosmetic part of the game being good, this can't be a 10/10. NEVER.

It's an ok game, but that's it. It does not go beyond that. Also, this game copies every other game that is out there: Hellblade, Uncharted, The last of us, dark souls, Zelda, Batman Arkham, etc. And does it very poorly.

_________________________________________________________________________
    Longer version:

-Controls
    Classic control map prevents you from using some of the skills (button combinations). It's physically impossible, you will need a 6th finger. NOT THE DEFAULT MAP - THE CLASSIC MAP. It's optional, but still.

-Combat balance
    if the enemies are too strong, you simply run away/shield and use your BOI to fight. A support character is supposed to be a support character, not a killing machine because YOU are too weak in a game. I'm a god ffs, let me kick a$$ when I level up to max. Oh, yea. Being max lvl with max stats does virtually nothing. You will still use the BOI way too much. I wonder who is stronger.

-Camera (in combat). You see only 1/4 of the battlefield and 1/2 of it is taken up by Kratos's awesome tattooed head. They give you indicators to see attacks from behind => you end up fighting indicators instead of enemies 90% of the time. "Lock on" works 30% of the time. Bugged or something.

-Stats. You do more damage in numbers and you have more defense in numbers but you don't feel it. For example, some enemies don't stagger, when you hit them with a strong attack. It doesn't matter if you have 0 strength or 150. You're still going to hit like a little b**ch and the big guy won't care.

-Hitreg
    SOMETIMES, ok? Just sometimes it can happen that you hit an enemy and nothing gets registered. An unpleasant bug, but still, be aware of it. Sucks when it's an ultimate abity though.. ugh.

-Loot
    ->Best equipment is found on Arenas. Everything else is 100% useless. However, all points of interest try to seduce you with loot. Knowing that the loot is useless, you find no reason exploring.

-Story -> You know how it's going to end. Even from trailers. It's hard NOT to guess it. + Some of the relevant characters die with 0 consequence, some have an impact on the world for no reason. NO CLOSURE.
    Some realms that are in the game are closed behind a message "Locked by Odin", a.k.a. "buy our next game". Disrespectful to consumers 100% +Too much unnecessary fighting to fill time. Just waves of repetitive monsters to make the game longer. Sometimes with no context. Just waves of monsters. Fun? Meh...not really.

-Boss Fights:
    Some bosses have two random follow up attacks that are not blockable/dodgeable/avoidable, you just have to take it and randomly die. You can find it on the forums and people simply say "just switch to the easy difficulty for this boss fight". It's not fair to the players as no skill or wit gets involved. You're basically playing dice. Have a good one, and let the hype never fool you :)
  40. Sep 17, 2018
    This is not God of war, it has 8 hours only of gameplay and 8 hours of movies, the downgrade in graphics are terrible, the background graphics are bery blurred or with a lot of fog to hide the lack of power for the Ps4 to process it. Very disappointing.
  41. May 4, 2018
    Jefes parecen repetitivos
    Faltan mas Jefes
    Las animaciones de ejecución pueden resultar repetitivas
    Camara erratica y molesta
    Una exploración que puede tornarse repetitiva.
    Caída de frame y glitchs ocasionales
  42. May 12, 2018
    The game looks absolutely stunning and sounds awesome to boot. The combat is weighty and satisfying, and the story is extremely well told and very heartfelt. Based on what I've seen from lower difficulty levels, this game is a must buy.

This review, however, is a warning to all of those who wish to play God of War at the highest difficulty setting: Don't. Even if you think you can beat it, don't. Even if you can beat it, don't.

The game is full of random 1-shots, deaths to things you've already dodged, erratic behaviour where enemies float around the battlefield for no apparent reason, walls that don't work, and the camera "assist" loves to make it completely impossible to pull off a lot of trick shots that would make the game more playable.

Boss encounters typically have 3 moves in their moveset, and that moveset subtly evolves over the course of the bossfight in distinct phases. The checkpoint system is very liberally used, and the gameplay is hilariously punishing, and the result is that bossfights basically boil down to attempting the same 20% of a boss 50+ times until the boss randomly doesn't do "the thing", and then you win.

It is very, very obvious that the combat designers have absolutely no clue what they're doing at all, and this mars what should have been an otherwise great game.

However, the game is still pretty and the combat still looks good, so I'll give it a 6. If you play to play it on a lower difficulty setting, the 9 and 10's that have been rightfully given are more appropriate.
  43. May 10, 2018
    The reviews are overwhelmingly positive. GoW's moments of greatest arguably make it the best game in the franchise. Santa Monica Studio proved it could teach an old dog new tricks, but they laid a shaky foundation. The current iteration borrows heavily from Dark Soul’s, Last of Us, and Diablo but with disappointing implementation. GoW contains glaring problems fans are overlooking, such asThe reviews are overwhelmingly positive. GoW's moments of greatest arguably make it the best game in the franchise. Santa Monica Studio proved it could teach an old dog new tricks, but they laid a shaky foundation. The current iteration borrows heavily from Dark Soul’s, Last of Us, and Diablo but with disappointing implementation. GoW contains glaring problems fans are overlooking, such as uneven pacing, underwhelming story, and frustrating combat.

The shift to Norse mythology isn’t surprising. Marvel’s cinematic universe has no doubt influenced the developers. Marvel’s biggest stars include Thor, Ragnorak, and other Norse beings and events. GoW’s story could’ve been more interesting, but it’s really a drawn out history lesson that presents superfluous information. The Norse world isn’t revealed thru events, but dialogue between Kratos’ son and a severed head. Other bits of mythology or inscribed on shrines that players must locate. Unless players pay close attention to EVERYTHING that’s spoken and find every shrine, key story elements are lost. Fans would be better served with a robust campaign that includes more enemies and deities, better boss fights, additional activities, and a new game+.

Ironically, GoW penalizes players for exploring Midguard, yet everyone pushes Kratos’ to explore. If players explore early, they will encounter numerous obstacles which block their paths. Being under leveled is Kratos’ biggest obstacle, however, and he remains that way for most of the game. I completed the campaign on the harder difficulties and enemies are absurdly powerful. High levels enemies are everywhere, and they kill in 1 hit. They also spam AOE and ranged attacks and regenerate health. Even after grabbing awesome gear, GoW finds new ways to be unfair. So either players explore the same areas multiple times, clearing out additional enemies and obstacles each time, or they can simply wait until Kratos hits level 5 or higher. By then the story is over. And once the story is over, what’s the point in hunting down additional loot?

Players won’t know where they can and can’t go until it’s too late and they’re killed by powerful enemies in areas accessible immediately after the tutorial. There are often no avenues for escape. It’s better to die with dignity, than pointlessly slog it out against a rigged system. High level enemies possess the same move sets as weaker ones, they just hit harder and soak up damage. A level 2 Kratos against level 5 baddies is no contest. Artificial difficulty at its best which reminds me of The Division. The same few enemies are recycled throughout the campaign. The same goes for bosses. Kratos fights the same baddies over and over. It gets dull quick.

Midgaurd is a central hub that branches to surrounding areas. Exploration mostly entails rowing boats or climbing walls. All areas are linear and Kratos must follow clearly defined paths. If a wall doesn’t have yellow paint on it, Kratos can’t climb it. He can’t scale a 6ft rock, yet he flips an entire building with his bare hands. Makes sense, right? I had similar grips about Horizon: Zero Dawn. The developers want players coming back to the same areas repeatedly. Like the enemies, puzzles and obstacles are endlessly recycled. There’s a scant handful of uninteresting side quests which exist solely for completionists. Several areas are merely replayable trials that pad things out. And 2 other realms aren’t accessible until God of War 5 or future DLC.

Kratos’ levels up by equipping better gear that enhances specific stats. It’s similar to Diablo III, so Kratos can alter his stats before/during each encounter. Kratos’ son is an invaluable combat asset and a welcome addition, so max him out early on. Combat-wise, the developers opted for a more deliberate style that tries to mimic Dark Souls. But on harder difficulties, the combat just doesn’t hold up. Parrying an attack or activating a runic strike is risky because Kratos can be killed by enemies he doesn’t see during the wind up animations. The over-the-shoulder perspective sucks when a dozen baddies are spamming ranged AOE attacks. So deaths are often cheap because players literally didn’t see them coming. I opted for strength, defense, and vitality and dumped runic abilities until the end. One of the best talismans available boosts shield parrying time. That alone saves the shield from being near useless. The stun mechanic is interesting, but at higher difficulties, even trash mobs need tons of punishment to stun. Play on the easier difficulties and save yourselves the frustration.

GoW is more DLC than a full-blown game. Although it looks great and performs solidly, the anemic campaign, heavily recycled enemies/activities, and push towards postgame activities is a major turn off. As DLC, this would’ve been an 8 or 9, but as a standalone title there isn't much value. It’s highly overrated.
  44. May 14, 2018
    I love Metacritic but sometimes I hate it as well. You see all the 10's this game has on this page? They lie.
    So why should you trust me, instead of so many other people that give it a 10? Well, for three reasons.
    1 . I have beat the game 2. I am not a fan boy 3. I do not have any financial interest as far as this review goes. And also I have played video games for many many years.

1 . I have beat the game
    2. I am not a fan boy
    3. I do not have any financial interest as far as this review goes.
    And also I have played video games for many many years.

I can assure you it's not a 10/10 and if you believe it is you will be disappointed. Is it a bad game then? No, of course not. Before you buy this you should ask yourself this: Do I like a lot of cut scenes, walking a lot in video games and a lot of dialogue? If the answer is no, then you probably will not like GoW. If the answer is yes, absolutely play the game, you will love it.

Something that I think most people will agree on is that the camera is bad. I'm sure some will try to deny this and say they had no problem but those will be lies as well. The Field of View is terribly low, for technical reasons I presume.

I gave this game a 6 because it is a movie-game and because I preferred the old GoWs . For you it might be higher than that. Technically wise it is absolutely incredible. But I know one thing for certain. This is not a 10/10 video game.
  45. May 3, 2018
    One of the things that makes God of War so good is the way it builds on its past. It isn't really a reboot but a sequel that evolves on the previous games in the series. Throughout the game we are reminded of Kratos' past it adds depth to his character, intrigue to his future, and tension to his relationships. In terms of visuals this is the best looking game I have seen. The story tellingOne of the things that makes God of War so good is the way it builds on its past. It isn't really a reboot but a sequel that evolves on the previous games in the series. Throughout the game we are reminded of Kratos' past it adds depth to his character, intrigue to his future, and tension to his relationships. In terms of visuals this is the best looking game I have seen. The story telling is among the best in any game, although the plot itself is a bit on the simple side. It is also the longest God of War game and nearly all of that time is well spent. There are a few weak areas that hold the game back though. While combat is good the movement through the game world is very limited and linear. The amount of free motion and interactivity is very limited for a modern game and I often found it confining. The game is among the best I have played in many areas and does only a few things poorly but its has just enough flaws to hold me back from giving it the top score.

Gameplay 8 - While I grew to love the combat by the end of the game I found it sluggish at first. At the start Kratos has very few abilities and his movements are quite slow. Thankfully as the game progresses more and more abilities are unlocked and the variety of combat becomes very good. All the abilities that are unlocked seamlessly work together to improve the combat experience, There are multiple difficulty options that can be changed at any time so you can set your pace if you want to focus on the story or the challenge. There are a lot of puzzles throughout the game and while I did find some of them to be a chore most were fun and there was enough variety to keep things interesting. Menu systems are a bit confusing at first, there are lots of options and upgrading gear is a bit counter intuitive. My biggest complaint with gameplay is that it is very confining. The areas you move through are mostly narrow paths. For a modern game it seemed extremely limited. Kratos cannot swim and almost all motion throughout the world is scripted.

Story/Progression 9 - The story telling is amazing. The dialog between the characters flows seamlessly throughout the entire experience without interruption or repetition. It really does feel like playing a movie. Last gen The Last of Us raised the standard of story telling in games and this gen God of War has taken it to the next level. The story nearly perfectly blends into the gameplay without ever feeling forced or unnatural and is paced very well. My only problem with the story is that the conclusion was a bit broken up and anti-climatic. Over all though, it is some of the best story telling any game.

World 8 - The world is beautiful and full of deep lore. Everything you encounter has meaning and thought put into it. It is a unique take on Norse Mythology and it brilliantly compliments the other games in the series. The world itself is a joy to experience but in term of interactivity it is quite limited. While the game appears large and open it is really just a lot of narrow pathways. Unlike games like the Witcher 3 or Horzion: Zero Dawn, there are many places you cannot go. It is not an open world or even open area. It is a beautifully decorated web of pathways. The world building is amazing but for a modern game I expect more freedom.

Characters 10 - Kratos has always been iconic but it the past he was kind of basic. This game transforms him from a mascot into a truly believable, deep and fleshed out character. What is so brilliant is that it does so without sacrificing who he was. His past defines his present in a natural way. He carries guilt in a subtle way and he is full of emotional conflict. He is a strong character but he has vulnerability. There are few better game characters. Atreus is a also very well developed and the relationship between the two works very well. While the cast is quite small compared to a game like the WItcher, the side characters are still well written and felt believable.

Visual Design 10 - The visuals speak for themselves, even without the PS4 Pro the game looks incredible. The level of detail is just amazing. Not only is it technically beautiful but artistically as well. Every area is designed with care. Each location has unique visual elements. The models, effects, and animations compliment each other to look even better than the cut scenes in past games. I have been waiting a long time for in gameplay to have cinematic appeal and God of War delivers that.

Sound Design 10 - Everything in the game sounds good but the voice acting is the standout, there is constant dialog throughout the game and I never once got sick of it because it is all so well delivered. Each character is perfectly captured by their voice. The soundtrack itself is also great and has its own style without ever being distracting. Sound effects were very satisfying in pretty much every area.
  46. May 19, 2018
    Buen videojuego pero demasiado lento y repetitivo en ciertos momentos, cinematicas demasiado largas en ciertas ocasiones
  47. Apr 22, 2018
    Not that special and way too over hyped. Also the trend to name a sequel as the first is the most stupid thing in this century.
    Anyway if you never played a GoW it's a good start, but i don't think you will feel comfortable with the first ones since it's still quite different.
  48. May 1, 2018
    I was a bit skeptical when I saw that they had completely revamped the combat and now had a escort mission vibe but after seeing the critic reviews I got this game finished it in 20+ hrs and I loved every minute of it. I even started my 2nd play-through.If you loved the previous games you should definitely give this one a chance. There is something here for the new and old fans of theI was a bit skeptical when I saw that they had completely revamped the combat and now had a escort mission vibe but after seeing the critic reviews I got this game finished it in 20+ hrs and I loved every minute of it. I even started my 2nd play-through.If you loved the previous games you should definitely give this one a chance. There is something here for the new and old fans of the franchise. The story is excellent, combat is good, Graphics are amazing. Expand
  49. Apr 24, 2018
    No customization other than some weapon and armor options, too many duplicate mobs, after a while it's get boring. Atreus is really annoying and really don't know who want to babysit a kid like that.
    Overall it's a overrated game for the asking price. Game is linear, no reason to play after you finish the game. It would be ok if it was $30.
  50. May 23, 2018
    Generally speaking this is the type of game I want - single player, good narrative, action adventure type game. I want to support games like this so bought it day 1, but having now finished it I can only say I am extremely underwhelmed.

The story was decent enough but I did not connect with it, or the characters in anyway. Graphics are solid but nothing spectacular given that it's a linear game.

The level design is painfully repetitive - climb a bit, throw your axe at something, enter an open area, big surprise your ambushed by 5 or 6 bad guys! Then rinse and repeat with bosses thrown in every 2nd or 3rd cycle.

Combat is my biggest problem. I've played plenty of games with very average combat mechanics (Mass effect, Last of Us) but they've been serviceable. With God of War each encounter was so tedious I am surprised I finished the game.

The controls are sluggish, the camera and lock on system are messy. Even when dropping down to the default difficulty the enemies are total sponges. Even the most basic enemies take 5-6 hits to finish off so there is no feeling of power or impact in your strikes. In the end each encounter just felt like a joyless grind. It may be that playing Soulsbourne games have ruined other melee games for me however that said, I recently played AC Origins and found the combat there to be decent - far superior to GOW.

So that's my honest opinion - I am clearly in the minority, but I just can't believe that critics/users scoring this a perfect 10 didn't run into any of the issues I have highlighted.
  51. May 2, 2018
    Zeer eentonig spel. Ik verveelde me de hele tijd en ik ben boos dat Sony me voor zo'n 70 euro, een bodemloze schaamteloos!
  52. Apr 26, 2018
    I'll make this review short. I'm having fun playing this game (graphics, voice acting, weapon and armor upgrades are all nice as well as some of the combat mechanics) but I really don't understand why Santa Monica felt they needed to change anything else from the previous games. I don't think Kratos particularly needed a family to gain some sense of his humanity back. It just felt likeI'll make this review short. I'm having fun playing this game (graphics, voice acting, weapon and armor upgrades are all nice as well as some of the combat mechanics) but I really don't understand why Santa Monica felt they needed to change anything else from the previous games. I don't think Kratos particularly needed a family to gain some sense of his humanity back. It just felt like the obvious story arch for him that doesn't really make sense for his character or mental state. The character development is predictable. The game makes you feel confined (some points in the game Kratos is running but moving like he's almost walking??) It just doesn't have the fluidity of the other games which makes it feel less responsive to me. I think they could have incorporated everything that makes this game feel refreshing into their model of the previous games and it would have been just fine. The overall atmosphere of the game is great and there are lots of things to really enjoy here. I support the loyalty Santa Monica has to its customers and their model of making great AAA games without any additional BS, but just can't quite give this one the same scores as GoW 2 and 3. Expand
  53. May 19, 2018
    Ni la sombra de que lo eran las entregas pasadas... demasiado repetitiva y monótona la jugabilidad... la historia es muy predecible en todo momento.
  54. Apr 25, 2018
    I've never been a fan of the God of War series but I figured I'd give it a chance. The trailers and reviews had me extremely excited to play the game. When I first put in the game engrossed me with its beautiful graphics, tight game play, and intriguing story. But as the hours wore on the game began to annoy me. The incredibly repetitive fighta began to wear thin on my patience. You fightI've never been a fan of the God of War series but I figured I'd give it a chance. The trailers and reviews had me extremely excited to play the game. When I first put in the game engrossed me with its beautiful graphics, tight game play, and intriguing story. But as the hours wore on the game began to annoy me. The incredibly repetitive fighta began to wear thin on my patience. You fight the same five or six enemy types and then they pallette swap them with new annoying gimmicks. The environmental puzzles are PS2 era garbage. It's 2018 why am I carrying around crystals to place in tedious places. But worst of all the story, while good, starts to hamper the gameplay by needlessly padding the games length. Everytime you accomplish your goal suddenly you need some new mcguffin Expand
  55. Apr 28, 2018
    People too oblivious and just blindly go gaga for this game, crappy dodge mechanic, ridiculous grind in order to progress, or just get roflstomped on enemy bosses. Took a good game and decided to add crap mechanics to at depth gameplay. Stuff that was not needed in the game.
  56. Apr 22, 2018
    Got this game yesterday after reading all the great reviews. Never liked the previous games, I hate quick time events. I played for about two hours. I found it very boring. Too automated, when I was in control of the character, it was very clunky. The combat was very bland and boring. The boss fights where not that exciting, the areas are too small. Some serious frame rate issues on theGot this game yesterday after reading all the great reviews. Never liked the previous games, I hate quick time events. I played for about two hours. I found it very boring. Too automated, when I was in control of the character, it was very clunky. The combat was very bland and boring. The boss fights where not that exciting, the areas are too small. Some serious frame rate issues on the standard PS4, It can't even hold 30fps and in some parts dips down to a stand still. The visuals are good, but nothing that great. I wouldn't expect any less as each set piece/area is very small. I was way more impressed with the visuals in uncharted 4 and horizon zero dawn. There where some cool moments but so far just not enough to keep me playing. I will push myself to play more but I have a feeling its going to be very rinse and repeat from here on. I want to play a game and be in control of the character all the time, not spend 50% of it watching cut scenes and pressing a button when promoted. I will most likely get a refund for this one. Expand
  57. Apr 24, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok so lets get things started by saying that this game was long awaited, i mean the last GOW came out 2010....so obviously the expectations were high, so were the previous ratings (which were bought by sony (what a surprise)). (played on challenge difficulty)

Lets start with the good part:
    The graphics and the dynamic gameplay are amazing, the switch from cutscene to fight and the fact that you dont have a god damn loading screen is just smooth and very encouraging to continue playing. Even to the day of release i havent noticed any bugs! Not a single bug, imagine this...

The story and the background are well thought but as soon as i thought "ok things get serious now" the game just ends. After the fight with the first god (which was even on the 2nd highest difficulty far too easy) and that people kept telling you that things get serious now, the game ****** ends!! My dissappointment is immeasureable. I came like many other guys with the expectation to slaughter through the norse gods but you were granted just 1 real god fight (the other one is not worth mentioning,

Next thing i dont like is the variety of enemies, which is sad aswell. Aside from like what, 7 types of enemies? 80% of bosses are ogres and trolls (at least in different colors), sadly the color variety checks in on every other enemy too, you got green draugr, red draugr, blue draugr,... Yaawwwn. That was boring as hell. Sadly, the fights are weird aswell, regular enemies are mostly harder than the bosses...?
    So after completing the entire game with every sidequest (collectibles aside) i only had a play time of roughly 25 hours...story and sidequests, let that sink in for a moment.
    Even though the character development and the amtosphere is incredibly catchy this game just didnt convince me. Overall this is a good game, but its not a good god of war game. Probably there will be a sequel to this (regarding the cliffhanger at the end, and public statements) but after 8 years im not really into waiting another 5 or 6 for another game that ended midway through the story.

Even if you disregard the fact that this is not a real god of war i wouldnt give more than 7 points (with gratitude), simply because the playing time is a joke, and you only get 2 different weapons (cant believe that aswell).

Keep giving unjustified and unexplained free 10 point ratings, this game cant compete with god of war 3!
  58. Apr 25, 2018
    This game is actually just correct or not so good. Repetitive fights. Almosts no boss fights (1 boss declined 10 time ???? nah....).
    All the reviews giving this game 10/10 are pbly business/sellouts partnership.
    So be careful of that.
  59. Apr 23, 2018
    what happened to Kratos' fiery temper? why is he acting like a some sort of silent monk now...what happened to his arrogance and confidence. The story was horrible with no probability. almost felt like I was playing lesser dark soul 3
  60. Apr 29, 2018
    Like pulling teeth, the God of War soft reboot suffers from the same issues as it's contemporaries such as Uncharted, which should explain it all. Lots of filler animations, lots of automatic gameplay, reduction in complexity from previous games, an emphasis on story that falls apart around sixty percent through, and everything interesting is front loaded to get people to buy more copiesLike pulling teeth, the God of War soft reboot suffers from the same issues as it's contemporaries such as Uncharted, which should explain it all. Lots of filler animations, lots of automatic gameplay, reduction in complexity from previous games, an emphasis on story that falls apart around sixty percent through, and everything interesting is front loaded to get people to buy more copies from watching just the first hour. Ignore until this is five dollars in a Mom and Pop store if you absolutely have to play it for whatever reason, but I promise you, it would not have been worth your time. Expand
  61. Apr 27, 2018
    I'm a big fan of what Sony does for us, making single player experiences count. However this game feels lackluster with it's reuse of the same enemy models over and over again, I've even seen the same boss model reused over and over again. Graphics wise it looks quite good but the sad fact is that it doesn't play as well as it looks. Frame rate feels like it's all over the place, whichI'm a big fan of what Sony does for us, making single player experiences count. However this game feels lackluster with it's reuse of the same enemy models over and over again, I've even seen the same boss model reused over and over again. Graphics wise it looks quite good but the sad fact is that it doesn't play as well as it looks. Frame rate feels like it's all over the place, which interrupts the flow of the gameplay. played on a ps4 pro on a 4k tv. Expand
  62. Apr 28, 2018
    Very overrated. I'm not sure the current generation of video game fans actually know what a good game is any more. Graphics are good in places though.
  63. May 11, 2018
    An average sequel bait game.

Combat system is good for the first 1/4th of the game but enemy variety contains a ton of re-skinned enemies and you get bored of it by the end. Possibly the best part of the game. The story is annoying because of all the wasted potential. At no point does it explain how we got from the ending of the last game to the start of this one, it introduces a lot
    An average sequel bait game.

The story is annoying because of all the wasted potential. At no point does it explain how we got from the ending of the last game to the start of this one, it introduces a lot of potentially interesting characters and keeps all of the interesting ones off screen because it wants to do a sequel so it just decides it won't have any proper resolution to most of the conflicts presented or show you the parts of the world it presents as the most interesting.

The voice acting is surprisingly good for some of the characters, I expected to dislike the kid but it turns out he was one of my favorites, the main "villain" is excellent too. The male lead and the female lead however are inconsistent and below average, although the first God of War game had worse voice acting than this (although there it was on some side characters) I also loved the Dwarven brothers, I think they genuinely had the best humor in a God of War game.

The visuals are good, with great transitions between fights and cut-scenes and really beautifully designed backgrounds. Enemy designs are visually much more boring than in the original God of War series, but the views make up for it, it may be the most beautiful game on the PS4.

This could have been a much better game, but it NEVER feels like a complete experience, the combat system is introduced and then minimally expanded upon, the story presents dozens of awesome sub-plots then proceeds to resolve exactly 3; The final boss is a good story moment but not engaging to actually perform mechanically; The visuals are technically amazing but don't have enough of an internal consistency between them, everything looks beautiful but it doesn't look like it belongs in the same video-game.

It's definitely NOT a terrible game, but it was definitely NOT the game we were promised, it's NOT a complete experience and it sacrifices SO MUCH to plan out sequels that it fails to resolve most things and leaves most systems feeling intentionally incomplete just so they can be expanded upon in further games. If you don't care at all about the story you can probably add 2 points and make it a solid 7/10. If you REALLY liked the old God of War games then this game is definitely not made for you,
  64. Apr 20, 2018
    Cara o game não possui nenhuma mecanica inovadora que já não foi usada em outros games o jogo e hype puro simplesmente repetitivo ao extremo
  65. Oct 16, 2019
    A hillbilly lumberjack daddy lost with his son in a cheaply designed and very "Orlandoesque" theme park. This is not a game, this is a day at the amusement park. There are carefully drawn lines indicating where to climb, where to go, what to do. They didn't even try to make it feel real, not even a bit. Boring chests, axe throwing games, always the same grumpiness and same ugly monsters.A hillbilly lumberjack daddy lost with his son in a cheaply designed and very "Orlandoesque" theme park. This is not a game, this is a day at the amusement park. There are carefully drawn lines indicating where to climb, where to go, what to do. They didn't even try to make it feel real, not even a bit. Boring chests, axe throwing games, always the same grumpiness and same ugly monsters. Best for the cheap audience though. Expand
  66. Apr 27, 2018
    Mediocre. Family friendly. Average.
    I understand the intention - The perfect "selling-game" formula has been made and now almost every AAA project is done according to it. I'll break it up:
    1. Setting. While playing new GOW I've had a STRONG deja vu feeling all the way through. It reminded me of everything: Dragon Age: Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor, Horizon: Zero Dawn.... Everything,
    Mediocre. Family friendly. Average.
    1. Setting.
    Dragon Age: Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor, Horizon: Zero Dawn.... Everything, except for the God of War itself.
    I'm not a conservative type of a person but for the love of God, sometimes you just don't have to change anything.
    The good ol' God of War had its face. Sure it wasn't the most beautiful face out there, it didn't have a crazy twisted plot or something but still - it was unique. You couldn't confuse any God of War game and its gameplay with any other game. The Kratos was Charming even though he was EXTREMELY aggressive and somewhat insane - you still could understand him. As for me - in GOW 3 I was experiencing pure hatred for gods just because they were so... Ungodlike.
    Even compared to Kratos. This doesn't happen here, which leads us to point #2:

2. Enemies.
    Remember Minotaurus from any other GOW game out there? Medusa? Maybe Harpies? Sure you do.
    How about the... Ummm... I dont know... Maybe blue guy or... Red Golem? Maybe blue Golem? Exactly, because
    every. single. enemy here is FACELESS. By that I mean those were just copy-pasted and that's it.
    Sometimes I couldn't even tell if those are different, because there are at least 2 green balls on a stick one of which spits acid at you and the second one heals enemies. But what are those? What is every enemy in this game?
    I understand the concept, again - sure, these are more like zombies that no one feels sorry for, thus the game may be considered "not as violent" compared to a rip-that-guy's-head-off or cut-that-god's-legs-off kind of a situation but was it really necessary? Fighting is neither fun nor memorable anymore. Which leads us to point #3:

3. Fighting.
    Fighting? More like "Movie watching", am I right? Anyone?..
    Okay, there's nothing worse in this game than this. Not the script, not the setting or enemies or father-son relationships leading nowhere.
    Fighting is the weakest part of an equation.
    You wanted to make it "dark-soulsy", right? YOU HAVE FAILED, MISERABLY.
    Whenever you fight a regular enemy - you can't tell any difference between two.
    Whenever you fight a regular boss - you are not allowed to participate.
    The default fighting sequence is "throw an axe - combat roll - SON PLEASE SHOOT - throw an axe - repeat".
    The default boss-fight sequence is... It's pretty much the same, to be honest, apart from the tiny little difference that every single GOW fan wants to see here.
    Quick time events.
    You love them?
    You know them?
    You want some more of them?
    Now forget it. All you do within the boss-fighing sequence is "son-axe-roll" situation but the most EPIC and CINEMATIC sequences
    ARE NOT EVEN SOMETHING YOU ARE ALLOWED TO BE A PART OF.
    And if you have played any other GOW part and asked yourself "Oh god, is it possible to kill the fun in this game?" - the answer is "YES".
    Yes, you can. Just make people watch some movie instead.

As a bottom line - It's not a God of War anymore, even though the Kratos is there, as it might seem. But it's not Kratos, this is a bad Kratos cosplay.

Thank you for killing Kratos, he's been through a lot and deserves some rest.
    Just stop torturing his dead body, please.
  67. May 1, 2018
    My first impression of GoW, wasn't the best at all.. I know that what I am about to say, will get alot of White knights pissed off. But GoW is definitely not the best game all times or anywhere near a masterpiece in my opinion. Besides the endless feeling of rage and defeat. Putting the game on Story mode, does not feel like I put it on story mode. I am myself not a hardcore gamer thatMy first impression of GoW, wasn't the best at all.. I know that what I am about to say, will get alot of White knights pissed off. But GoW is definitely not the best game all times or anywhere near a masterpiece in my opinion. Besides the endless feeling of rage and defeat. Putting the game on Story mode, does not feel like I put it on story mode. I am myself not a hardcore gamer that want the satisfaction of trying to beat a monster after it killed me atleast over 20+ times before I can finally FINALLY kill it. (Still on story) Yes I will get people to say now, git gud.. But I simply just want to enjoy the story.. nothing else.

Besides all the trolls being a reskin, and same combat pattern almost every single time I fight them, Same goes for the valkyrie and draugrs and pretty much all the other monsters.. and locations.. And hearing the kid scream his head off like 100% of the time and not to forget all the puzzles being a little bit too similar from each other aswell. I don't feel any enjoyment playing this game so far.

The whole difficulty settings are off... there is no reward difference depending on the difficulty level you are in. It's just pure bragging rights that you can beat the game on Give me god of war. Which is not something to be proud of. Good on you you finished, the most difficult setting, within the first 3 days! Will anyone remember you?? Nope!

The manual save, and not being able to delete a manual save is a flaw. And they should have added that to this game.

Hints for puzzles would be a nice addition for story mode.

Basically, I would give this game a 5/10 and the five is mainly for the graphics and the little bit of story so far.
  68. Apr 30, 2018
    The game is straight terrible. You can go on and on about the story, but the gameplay is just bad. This has everything to do with the camera being way too close. Turning a series that was once known for its fast past action into a Dark Souls clone without any of it's depth. This game also lacks the brutality of the games that came before, to be honest I don't see why this game is evenThe game is straight terrible. You can go on and on about the story, but the gameplay is just bad. This has everything to do with the camera being way too close. Turning a series that was once known for its fast past action into a Dark Souls clone without any of it's depth. This game also lacks the brutality of the games that came before, to be honest I don't see why this game is even ratted M. It might have some swearing, but not enough to warrant this kind of ratting. The fact that the brutality was removed shows just how little the people who made this game understand the series. I don't play God of War for it's story, I play it for its gameplay, and its brutality. The fact that they are missing from this title really turns me off to this game.

The "level" mechanic is too dynamic, there are way too many states that feel like they were tacked on to make the game feel deeper than it really is. Since when, in a God of War game, did I have to worry about Kratos' power level in order to harm certain enemies. Why is this even a thing? What happened to this series.

This game is nothing more than a Dark Souls clone, only it lacks everything that made the Dark Souls series popular in the first place. This over the shoulder camera that makes it impossible to truly judge your footing; causing you to crash into the walls constantly. In Dark Souls, the camera is pulled back so you can see everything in front of your character and just enough behind you that you don't ever feel like you've been hit unfairly. In this game, you are constantly being hit from behind, and it is most certainty the games fault. The arrows around Kratos don't work because the dodge mechanic works only half the time. In the original series the dodging was easy, a simple flick of the right stick and you would roll in that direction. Here you have to hammer on a button three or four times before the game allows you to roll, only to have it fail anyway. What I'm trying to say is, Dark Souls doesn't use cheap mechanics to kill you off, this game does.

At the end of the day, this just isn't a God of War game, it's a Dark Souls clone that holds no candle to Dark Souls, and I am not particularity a fan of Dark Souls.
  69. May 6, 2018
    TOO many boss using same monster, and puzzles are borning. Just find and find and find the runes, then throw your axe.
  70. Apr 28, 2018
    turned the game into a movie, looks like a script, "Kratos and his son the movie"
  71. Apr 29, 2018
    They ruined the game with the updates.
    Terrible illumination
    Frame-rate at 15 constantly.
    Pixelated everywhere.
    Sometimes looks like a PS2 game.
  72. May 2, 2018
    I have always been a huge fan of the God of War series. I was so excited to play this game, only to find out they completely bastardized the series by changing it into RPG gameplay. This game is HORRIBLE!!! They have ruined one of the greatest series ever made with this rubbish. I will never understand why anyone likes these RPG games, but I want to put in an action game and just playI have always been a huge fan of the God of War series. I was so excited to play this game, only to find out they completely bastardized the series by changing it into RPG gameplay. This game is HORRIBLE!!! They have ruined one of the greatest series ever made with this rubbish. I will never understand why anyone likes these RPG games, but I want to put in an action game and just play through it. This was a complete waste of $65. After 20 minutes I was done with this piece of garbage. I will be returning it and getting back as much of my money as I can recover. If you were a fan of the series before, don't waste a second on this piece of crap game!!! Expand
  73. Apr 30, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel so bad for giving this a bad review but here goes. This review is written with the highest difficulty "Give me God of War" in mind. The sad truth about the game is that on paper its fantastic but a series of small but annoying gameplay decisions prevent it from being enjoyable on all difficulty settings. Now before my review gets the "git gud" response I'll go through everything that I found to be wrong with the game from start to finish.

"Give me God of War" difficulty has a few gameplay changes that from what I had heard from my other friends that the previous difficulties did not. Enemies become enraged, gaining a level, regaining HP, dealing more damage, expanding their movesets and becoming unstaggerable. On its own this wouldn't be so bad but the game quickly devolves into a cluster of camera issues and being pinned by all sides by enemies that straight up ignore your hits. Most fights devolve into running away while Atreus fires minimally damaging arrows or throwing your axe over and over till the opposition is dead.

Boss fights in this God of War feel like a chore. They have, for the most part (Sigrun) not included, telegraphed attacks that can be dodged, parried, etc. But the problem lies in the design of these fights. Most of them feel extremely gimmicky and for a certain halfway fight that requires you to use the "Stun" mechanic becomes a tedium of grinding the fight down over a period of several minutes. Stun on this difficulty builds up at a snails pace and makes it extremely hard to deal with said fight or any fight for that matter. Same can be said about the normal encounters.

The RPG elements of level grinding feel completely off. You can tell that the developers have never really delved into RPGs because of the lack of being able to go do side quests. The first side quest you receive at level 2 takes you to fight enemies that are level 5 and above. For me, if I am struggling with a particular segment in an RPG the normal course of action would be to go explore, earn gear and XP then return to face the challenge. But sadly, any attempt to stray off the beaten path for a majority of the game is met with getting stomped to a pulp by anything and everything because you'll find yourself for the most part met with mobs of enemies that vastly out level you. Which brings me to question why the game even lets you wander around in the first place.

The power fantasy is gone. Never have I felt powerful from start to finish in God of War 2018. From the start, I noticed that Kratos, even though still a god, had as much impact as a wet noodle. All throughout the game, upgrade after upgrade, I still found myself lacking any kind of meaningful damage tool. Even after finishing the game and having the best equipment available to the player, a talisman that suits my needs, yellow enchants poring out of my pockets, both weapons capped, all the skills in the skill trees. I still found myself wailing endless on enemies, bosses and everything else unless they happened to be 2-3 levels lower than me.

The optional boss fight is what really tipped me off and made me get the last cutscene and shelf the game without going for 100% completion like I normally do for these kinds of games. It gains the abilities of 8 previous optional boss fights but neglects to gain their weaknesses. The boss just does whatever it wants and has a massive health pool. As mentioned previously, Kratos, even with the best gear, hits like a wet noodle. So for me the boss fight would devolve into trying my hardest to damage it while it only took 4 hits to outright kill me. This wouldn't be so different from other boss fights except that the boss has a half health damage grab that used to be telegraphed by an audio cue but no longer is, an unblockable, undodgeable blind that usually results in the boss using a room wide area of effect skill that outright kills you unless interrupted but you won't be able to see to prevent it. This particular instance cemented all the problems I had with the game throughout the journey. Some may ask why I picked the highest difficulty to begin with, and personally I enjoy a challenge but instead I just felt cheated all the way through.

Another small nitpick is the recycling of enemies. There is very little the game has to offer in terms of enemy variety, most are reused all the way to the end and some bosses even show up upwards of 8 times and the executions were lackluster for the GoW series,

To top it all off, the reward that you get for all your hard work, drudging through the swampy mechanics and all the grindy encounters is 2 measly skins for your shield that have no impact on gameplay whatsoever and in-game XP as if you'd need it once you reach the end. No trophy nothing.

In short, save yourself the pain of a miserable experience and enjoy the game on a lower difficulty.

TL:DR Bad mechanics make for a bad experience on the highest difficul
  74. May 2, 2018
    Well, writing this with mixed feelings.
    Clear pros:
    - new GoW is visually impressive even at basic PS4; It's ultimately the most beautiful game at nextGen right now; - plot is quite OK, maybe it's not the strongest side of the game, but definitely not the weakest one. You do feel for Kratos and his son; - realms are nice and exploring every one of them is huge delight. Things which
    Well, writing this with mixed feelings.
    Clear pros:
    - realms are nice and exploring every one of them is huge delight.
    Things which are ok, but far from perfect:
    - crafting system is basic and not very handy;
    - foes are designed in economy mode, like having just one finishing animation per enemy - looks unexpected for a project with such impressive production;
    - generally game brings no new ideas, you just have decent compilation of existing ones, some are polished, some are not. Simply speaking, it is nice ripe apple, but not the apple tree which will push the genre and inspire new projects/approaches.
    Things which disappointed me:
    - low number of villain types, killing the same kind of troll 10 times is a joke;
    - difficulty level does not influence villains behavior, which is a pity. Health and numbers boost is the only difference;
    - combat is VERY repetitive and tiring;
    - puzzles are... well... they are there but unimpressive and not very evident sometimes.
    So I think the best way to enjoy the game is to set easy/normal difficulty level and run through the story. If you want to enjoy combat - welcome back to e.g. Bloodborne (what I actually did).
  75. May 1, 2018
    A very disappointing shallow game with shallow story and very plain and boring graphics. Playing on PS4 Pro and graphics nowhere near games like Horizon Zero Dawn , or other top games. Extremely linear. No depth whatsoever. Have played about 5 hours and all I can say is this is just another in a long line of dud games released lately. So far it’s a video with a bit of gaming in between.A very disappointing shallow game with shallow story and very plain and boring graphics. Playing on PS4 Pro and graphics nowhere near games like Horizon Zero Dawn , or other top games. Extremely linear. No depth whatsoever. Have played about 5 hours and all I can say is this is just another in a long line of dud games released lately. So far it’s a video with a bit of gaming in between. Fighting is just hack and slash. More like the Last of Us with a bit of fighting. Puzzles mediocre not challenging at all. I paid full price for this and I can’t understand the hype behind it all. Tomb Raider kills this easily for strategy and fighting, as well as graphics & story.

Same monsters so far with a boss now and again. It’s just so boring. God of War should be continuous intense gameplay not stupid dialogue and cutscenes.

Don’t know if I can play anymore of this. Nothing about it resembles God of War. It is an extremely watered down GOW with filler galore of rubbish and nonsensical dialogue. This is supposed to be an action game yet it is more like the Last of Us which I liked but I bought GOW and I expected immersion tension and non stop action not filler.
  76. Apr 27, 2018
    The downgrade is epic in this one and the game is kinda short for all the noise is has generated around. For a regular game is OK, but for a Sony exclusive and for a God Of War is a bit dissapointing.
  77. Apr 29, 2018
    way over-hyped and over-marketed game by Sony, not on the level of No Man's Sky, but close enough...

if the title was not "God Of War" but "Generic Game", this would have flopped really bad, the gameplay is as linear as it could be, there's no real exploration going on, you just move from point A to point B, you kill a huge amount of enemies over and over and over and over again, then there's a series of qte that God Of War is known for (but given that it's their gimmick, this is fine with me), and then you move to the next section, that's it pretty much...

the combat is atrocious, they tried really hard to copy Dark Souls style combat, but everything went bad, you just mash buttons hoping for the best, there's no real strategy involved...

difficult level is a joke really, easy/normal are for kids, if you play in hard, there's no change to enemy behavior or anything else they promised, but they just send you 10 times the number of enemies and they have 10 times the health...they choose the cheapest way possible to increase difficulty, leading to pointless frustration, because unlike Dark Souls, here is just a matter of luck and being fast enough in mashing buttons

your weapon does no damage at all (even after upgrades, they're mostly useless btw), so each enemy takes from 10 to 100 hits, EACH of them, bosses takes several hundreds of hits, so it takes forever to kill them, because you can only hit them 2-3 times, then they do their unstoppable 1-hit kill aoe, kinda like a mmorpg, so you're forced to retreat, wait for the next cycle, rinse and repeat, it's so boring and frustrating that you loose all interest for it

in theory you're supposed to aim and throw your axe at weak points, well good luck doing it with pixel-perfect precision on a controller...I can do this with mouse+keyboard, not with a controller and the precision required to hit the weak points is insane, it's simply impossible to do it right with a controller

the rune chests are terrible, you're supposed to always hit 3 bells, again with insane precision that cannot be possibly achieved on a controller, and you have no time to do them, but you're forced to do them otherwise you have too low health and rage, still pointless frustration for the player, which translates into cheap gameplay time extension

pros:
    Graphics - it look good, really good, no point in denying that, especially on a PS4 Pro, with a 4k HDR tv, it's really beautiful
    Sound - it's ok
    Companion - he does not get in the way, they just copy-pasted The Last Of Us, which is a good thing
    Kratos - he's still good, not the unstoppable god-killing machine that he was in the past, but he's supposed to be older now
    Realms design - they look very different from each other, with a recurring theme, so at least they put some effort into it

cons:
    Sony marketing campaign - it's really too much for this game, spend your money on hiring good game designers
    Enemy design - they all feel the same and fight in the same way
    Combat - one of the worst I've ever experienced on a PS4 game, feels like bad executed mix of Dark Souls, Nioh and Horizon: Zero Dawn, very, very bad and frustrating
    Story - yeah I was not expecting a good story from a game where the protagonist just rips open heads and bangs chicks with quick-time events, but they could have at least tried...
    Difficulty level - very cheap way to do this, if you want to copy Dark Souls or Nioh, at least do it right...
    Weapon(s) - useless, they do no damage
    Upgrades - confusing and useless, like everything else
    Skills - takes far too much to level up anything, so you end up not caring at all (and all the skills are useless, like crafting and weapon upgrades)
    Crafting - confusing and useless much like upgrades, it looks like this was thrown in at the last minute because "every game has crafting today"
    Gameplay - what gameplay? There's no gameplay at all, just mash buttons and hope for the best...it's just a one long linear movie

very bad game overall, and I'm not even complaining about the shift in the gameplay from previous God Of War games, I have no problems with that, if the end result is good, but this is simply bad
  78. Apr 21, 2018
    Don't believe the hype! I really wanted to like this game, but after an hour or so it became quite boring. When I play a game, I want to play the game, not listen to a story. Half of the first hour of this game is just that; boring cutscenes..I suspect that half of the game is cutscenes. This game is a 5 at very best. Just another hack and slash button masher for casuals. PleaseDon't believe the hype! I really wanted to like this game, but after an hour or so it became quite boring. When I play a game, I want to play the game, not listen to a story. Half of the first hour of this game is just that; boring cutscenes..I suspect that half of the game is cutscenes. This game is a 5 at very best. Just another hack and slash button masher for casuals. Please FromSoftware can you hurry up with Bloodborne 2! Expand
  79. Apr 29, 2018
    This game is beautiful but the gameplay is just terrible compared to the original. Horrible camera, crappy progression system, boring combat (just throwing axes and hiding behind shields). A MASSIVE disappointment.
  80. May 1, 2018
    Don't believe the hype.The game is average at best, not even a God Of War game if you ask me.For 1) the character of Kratos doesn't even look like nor sound like Kratos anymore with the beard or without the beard he doesn't remind me of Kratos in the slightest.2)The combat is really shallow and underwhelming compared to the firs 3 god of war games (don't even know why they say this is theDon't believe the hype.The game is average at best, not even a God Of War game if you ask me.For 1) the character of Kratos doesn't even look like nor sound like Kratos anymore with the beard or without the beard he doesn't remind me of Kratos in the slightest.2)The combat is really shallow and underwhelming compared to the firs 3 god of war games (don't even know why they say this is the best one yet...Bullshh)Probably paid of most the reviews. 3)Rehashes of boss fights and it gets very repetitive.4)Just because its Longer doesn't make it better.I finished the first 3 God Of Wars multiple times but im never touching this one again.Why is that?Could it be maybe because im a god of war fan and this isn't even a God Of War game?Probably.They should have just changed the name of the game and to stop milking real God Of War fans with your title.Because this isn't a God Of War game at all. Expand
  81. Apr 30, 2018
    Horrible combat, repetitive boring puzzle and slow pacing. I gave up midway through my journey with God of War PS4. Most overhyped game I have played in years.
  82. Nov 16, 2018
    It tries to be everything that everything is, and is, therefore, itself, nothing. The industry is drowning in better alternatives.
  83. Apr 25, 2018
    Not God of War anymore. I just see a fusion of The Last of Us and Dark Souls with less weapons. Why did they have to put Kratos in here? As a new Ip it would have been a decent game for me, but calling this GOD OF WAR? You can't even jump.
  84. May 1, 2018
    This is one of the best game ever. I experienced every system in the game, and there are nothing new in the game. But Balance, between contents and scenario, is amazing more than Last of us. It is perfect for me, and I can recommend this game who love story-based game or action game.
  85. May 19, 2018
    Prueba de que Metacritic no sirve. Los Soniers usan esta herramienta que no sirve
  86. Apr 20, 2018
    I will not say this is a bad game at all, but this is not a GoW game at all. Where is the thundering sound track?, Where are the stunning landscapes?, Where are the mighty Titans?, Why is there a child?, Where is the square, square, triangle formula? Where is Kratos? He used to be a tough guy blinded by his vengeance desires. Now is a melancholic dude that keeps saying "I do don´t know".I will not say this is a bad game at all, but this is not a GoW game at all. Where is the thundering sound track?, Where are the stunning landscapes?, Where are the mighty Titans?, Why is there a child?, Where is the square, square, triangle formula? Where is Kratos? He used to be a tough guy blinded by his vengeance desires. Now is a melancholic dude that keeps saying "I do don´t know". Well I know, this is not a GoW game! Expand
  87. Apr 30, 2018
    More confirmation that pretty much all highly rated games these days are complete trash in terms of gameplay. Wow, look at those beautiful cut scenes! A perfect 10! LOL Doesn't anybody rate games in terms of actual gameplay not pretty cut scenes?

The only game reviews I trust these days are rated between 7 and 8.5 as anything higher is either SJW trash, a walking simulator, or pretty cut scenes. Never good gameplay. Case in point: God of Cut Scenes err I mean God of War
  88. Mar 30, 2019
    Seems pretty overrated. There's a big emphasis on flashy cinematics over gameplay, the latter being atrocious. Very few reskinned bosses and repetitive enemies and environment. Gentle Kratos, no brutality. Weak GoW game, should be renamed after something else because this is not GoW....
  89. Apr 26, 2018
    I usually don't review games but today I am really upset. After beating the game on normal difficulty I feel a bit ripped off, I bought this game for 70 Euro in the PS-Store and only got roughly 15 hours of gameplay out of it. Don't trust people that tell you this game is long, if you don't do every sidequest you'll be finished within 15 hours easily. After that there is not really muchI usually don't review games but today I am really upset. After beating the game on normal difficulty I feel a bit ripped off, I bought this game for 70 Euro in the PS-Store and only got roughly 15 hours of gameplay out of it. Don't trust people that tell you this game is long, if you don't do every sidequest you'll be finished within 15 hours easily. After that there is not really much to make you play it again, sure you could always collect useless stuff for that shiny platinum trophy but that's not how I play my games. The value proposition with God of War is really bad, I can only recommend people to wait for a price drop that justifies the little play time you will get with this game. Expand
  90. Apr 29, 2018
    El juego estaba muy bien hasta el último parche que arruino la iluminación y genero pixeleo y framerate inestable esperemos que lo corrijan pronto por que la experiencia es muy mala después del último parche.
  91. Apr 20, 2018
    Got this early, played through the whole thing and beat it. It's a good game - not a great game. The story was enjoyable and the combat, while rather one-dimensional (despite what you may read), was still decently fun. I played through on Give me a Challenge mode and it was kind of a slog, with encounters remaining very same-y throughout the end game. They do some interesting things withGot this early, played through the whole thing and beat it. It's a good game - not a great game. The story was enjoyable and the combat, while rather one-dimensional (despite what you may read), was still decently fun. I played through on Give me a Challenge mode and it was kind of a slog, with encounters remaining very same-y throughout the end game. They do some interesting things with the axe and Atreus, but it feels very lacking compared to the variety of all of the previous games in the franchise. I expected more.

The biggest issue with this game is how the PS4's hardware weighs down the experience. Even on my Pro's "performance mode," the game almost never reaches 60 FPS at all on 1080p, hovering in the 40s most of the time. This is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE for any game in 2018. The 30 FPS 4K checkerboard mode looks nice when you're standing still, but in motion, the blur and total lack of fidelity and smoothness will give you a headache and totally detract from your experience. I couldn't get past this. The 30 FPS is constantly in your face and unavoidable, and impossible not to notice even if you only own a console and might not know any better. I can only describe it as truly awful.

This game would be an 8 or even a 9 on PC, but as it is, the games industry is once again held back by the primitive and outdated technology that consistently hamstrings otherwise gems like this one. Such a damn shame. Can't wait to get sold on the rerelease for the PS5 in 2025 which will only offer locked 60 FPS, something we should already have.

Not impressed, Sony.
  92. Apr 21, 2018
    I spent almost twice as long watching this play than i did playing the game. It tried really hard to make me care about the child but at the end of the day it wasn't that long nor engaging with the cut-scene breaks.
  93. Apr 25, 2018
    I just finnished the game and im changing my review. I expected alot more. The enemies are repetetive and the camera is pure cancer. The only memorable bossfight is the dragon which isnt even that hard to beat. The story is ok, but it fell short. Just when you think the game is going to take off the game ends, like, WTF? IS THIS IT? The game has some really memorable moments but if youreI just finnished the game and im changing my review. I expected alot more. The enemies are repetetive and the camera is pure cancer. The only memorable bossfight is the dragon which isnt even that hard to beat. The story is ok, but it fell short. Just when you think the game is going to take off the game ends, like, WTF? IS THIS IT? The game has some really memorable moments but if youre expecting Big fights with large monster bosses like the previous god of war games you will be dissapointed. The 10 out of 10 reviews are obviously paid by sony because there is no way all these critics are this blind. Its a decent game but not a 10/10 Expand
  94. Apr 30, 2018
    Core Gameplay has been chanced to an interactive baby movie. Too much marketing and media attention went to this mediocre game. I don't understand that people call this the best game ever, the gameplay isn't that great.
  95. Jan 13, 2019
    boring. 1 tedious battle after another, with a few predictable puzzles thrown in. a friend lent it to me for the weekend, took it back on saturday morning. if you are into borning crap, this is for you.
  96. Apr 21, 2018
    This reincarnation of the series is mediocrity at its finest. The game reuses the same mechanics and plot delivery as Uncharted games and Last of Us, shows the same fake open world as Uncharted 4, and completely rips off Souls-like battle system, that does work fine during the battle one-on-one, but is an absolute garbage when there are more the 1 enemy against you. I completely don'tThis reincarnation of the series is mediocrity at its finest. The game reuses the same mechanics and plot delivery as Uncharted games and Last of Us, shows the same fake open world as Uncharted 4, and completely rips off Souls-like battle system, that does work fine during the battle one-on-one, but is an absolute garbage when there are more the 1 enemy against you. I completely don't understand how the game, that delivers ZERO new experience to players, with features and mechanics we've already seen in every other franchise, is scored 10 out of 10 by every magazine. I was raging about TLOZ:BOW getting 10 out 10, but this games beats it. This game is a finest example of a hype, built up by internet incompetence and good job of Sony's PR department. Expand
  97. Apr 25, 2018
    Kratos has been neutered!!! He's no longer a badass who bangs hot girls and rips people apart. Plus he has this douchebag kid following him everywhere now. The combat feels like a cheap imitation of Dark Souls but way easier. The lame boomerang axe gets boring quickly, and even the Blades of Chaos aren't as fun anymore. I spend more time watching cutscenes and solving puzzles than actuallyKratos has been neutered!!! He's no longer a badass who bangs hot girls and rips people apart. Plus he has this douchebag kid following him everywhere now. The combat feels like a cheap imitation of Dark Souls but way easier. The lame boomerang axe gets boring quickly, and even the Blades of Chaos aren't as fun anymore. I spend more time watching cutscenes and solving puzzles than actually fighting!!! Most bosses are pushovers too, a complete joke compared to old GoW games. This is the most overrated & overhyped game I have ever seen. Just because fans of the original games are disappointed with this new version of God of War doesn't mean we're "X-Box fanboys", and calling people who disagree with you "salty" is one of the dumbest new trends of this century. I'm amazed by the herd mentality of the mindless masses that eat up whatever product the media tells them to. Expand
  98. May 20, 2018
    The game is full of errors, does not offer online multiplayer mode, does not meet the 35 hours promised in campaign mode, packed with QTE's, more than 50% of the game is cutscene and is a disappointment for fans of the franchise ...
  99. Apr 22, 2018
    The game has deviated from some important elements of a god of war game as well as having censorship compared to other titles. One of the elements being the jump mechanic they have now removed and another being the camera panning to far distances giving a idea the scale of the objects. The (CENSORSHIP) The game has no nudity which in Greek mythology theirs a lot of it like athletes wouldThe game has deviated from some important elements of a god of war game as well as having censorship compared to other titles. One of the elements being the jump mechanic they have now removed and another being the camera panning to far distances giving a idea the scale of the objects. The (CENSORSHIP) The game has no nudity which in Greek mythology theirs a lot of it like athletes would run nude because clothes are restraints or how every Greek statue has nudity. Expand
  100. Oct 2, 2018
    This franchise, unfortunelaty killed the old traditional gameplay which got many fans from this games. I prefer the Hack and Slash of the older God Of War.

Universal acclaim - based on 118 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Sep 13, 2018
    The return of the furious Spartan warrior was made well. God of War is already a great contender for game of the year and you shouldn't miss it. [Issue#285]
  2. CD-Action
    Jul 6, 2018
    Cory Barlog and his team achieved what many thought impossible – despite having changed almost everything Santa Monica managed to preserve that elusive spark that makes God of War game feel like a God of War game. They created one of the defining titles of the current generation and a technical marvel whose stunning beauty in motion words cannot describe. And there’s one more thing. Barlog’s touching reaction to his masterpiece’s scores shows that even in the world of huge budgets, micropayments, loot boxes and sales forecasts there still is a place for artists who pour their hearts into their work. We need someone to remind us of that once in a while. [06/2018, p.38]
  3. Jun 7, 2018
    Where most games excel in one single area, God of War manages to deliver on every front, providing players with one of the best experiences we’ve seen so far this generation.