7.0

1. Sep 2, 2016
    This is a unique game setting, the 70's sci fi is great, the ambient music, sounds and art style were brilliant. Apart from that its a slog to go through, i only completed it for the platinum. It's just that the story is weak, the laser fights are to precise which makes fights hard and the boss fights was bad, annoyingly bad, if you die just before you kill the boss you have to do theThis is a unique game setting, the 70's sci fi is great, the ambient music, sounds and art style were brilliant. Apart from that its a slog to go through, i only completed it for the platinum. It's just that the story is weak, the laser fights are to precise which makes fights hard and the boss fights was bad, annoyingly bad, if you die just before you kill the boss you have to do the whole 4 stages again. The map layout is similar to shadow complex so there is quite a lot of back tracking to do which is frustratingly boring. It is a different game just not a very good one. Expand
  2. Jul 29, 2016
    Pros!:
    -Earl, the voice in your helmet, is a pretty cool guy. And I got attached to my disembodied head dude.
    -The sense of humor appealed to me (imagine any of Double Fine's previous stuff) -It's a metroidvania and I always find those fun to explore and find secrets in. Oks!: -World seems intriguing at first but the more you see blander it feels, acid tripping robots housing human
    Pros!:

Oks!:
    -World seems intriguing at first but the more you see blander it feels, acid tripping robots housing human conscious' is cool for like 20 minutes guys!

Cons!:
    -Rigged shooting mechanic makes it feel like controlling a tank.
    -Lasers everywhere! You shoot lasers, your enemies shoot lasers, the walls reflect lasers-the screen gets filled with lasers and you can't help getting hit. I know your bodies are expendable but I still found it annoying that I couldn't avoid them.
    -Related to the point above - there is no jump or crouch, which would help a great deal in dodging lasers.
    -Terribly boring boss fights: At least they realize the controls are clunky and don't require you to do anything nimble
  3. Aug 25, 2016
    Initially cool but after you realize the game is a boring slog the charm wears off fast. Combat is terrible and just ripping off heads was the best strategy but the combat is never hard because I think the developers know the controls are wonky. "Puzzles" are just finding the right thing to get you to progress. Never gets interesting or challenging. Disappointment.
  4. Jul 23, 2018
    Finished the game as it wasn't super long. But overall was not impressed with this title outside the cool theme.

Pros: - Fun theme - 70s sci fi - Like the concept of using your head to switch bodies and then use color coded access to gain new areas or solve puzzles Cons: - Several bugs where doors would get locked and robots wouldn't spawn I had to work around - The puzzles were

Pros:
    - Fun theme - 70s sci fi

Cons:
    - The puzzles were mostly tedious
    - Could be difficult to tell where to go next as well as the color of the robots
  5. May 8, 2019
    Not the best DF game, not the worst. Just good. And pretty fast. The story is simple, gameplay is fun. Style is awesome. Something like Scrapland but more like an arcade.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 40 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 10, 2017
    Headlander takes on an old setting with a new formula and does it just right. The Balance between combat and puzzle-solving is quite good but the story might leave you unsatisfied, while the gameplay also gets repetitive after a few hours.
  2. Oct 17, 2016
    Coming in at around six hours for a pretty thorough playthrough, Headlander was an absolute delight.
  3. Games Master UK
    Oct 3, 2016
    A retrofuturistic adventure that promises comedy and action, and only ever falters on the latter. [Oct 2006, p.75]