7.7

1. Aug 8, 2019
    6.5/10

6.5/10

There have been a lot of arena fighters lately like The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia, My Hero Academy: One's Justice, Jump Force and soon to arrive One Punch Man: A Hero Nobody Knows. True, quality is sometimes dubious, but options exist. Kill la Kill The Game: IF is yet another arena fighter game for casual gamers. For those unfamiliar with the show, Kill la Kill is an anime stuffed with action, humor, and… pervert thing. Kill la Kill The Game: IF is developed by A + Games, overseen by Studio Trigger and has Arc System Works as the publisher, which was responsible for the development of Dragon Ball FighterZ and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle.

Regarding the story mode of the game, I recommend you check out the whole series before playing this title, largely because of a big plot twist. Here the story is told through cutscenes rather than simple dialogues, which is a positive point. In addition, the game's art is sublime and captures the essence of the Kill la Kill series, whether during cutscenes or during battles. The game has a total of two chapters: the Satsuki chapter and the Ryuko chapter. I can't help but admire the excellent work of the Japanese voices, as well as the game's soundtrack. Yes, it is also possible to choose English voices, which aren't bad, but could have done better work on synchronization.

I apologize to everyone, I know this sounds more like a scratched disc but the general and basic aim in fighting games is to do the tutorials, go to training mode to train our skills and learn how to do combos before we go into battle 1 vs 1. But we also have battles 1 vs 100 covers (Musou style). In addition to the other game modes I mentioned earlier there are also modes like Free battle, Player Match, Ranked Match, Survival Challenge and Cover Challenge.

Speaking of this Cover Challenge, we have several challenges to choose from, such as 1 min. Extermation, which consists of defending as many covers as possible in less than 1 minute, 100-Unit Extermination and Endless Extermination. About the characters in the game, unfortunately the initial roster is very poor. Only 8 characters, including Satsuki Kiryuin, Ryuko Matoi, Houka Inumuta, Ira Gamagoori, Uzu Sanageyama, Nonon Jakuzure, Nui Harime and Ragyo Kiryuin. Fortunately everyone has different skills and characteristics from one another. For example, Nonon Jakuzure specializes in ranged attacks.

Moving on to Kill la Kill The Game: IF, ranged attacks, ranged attacks, and Guard Break are some of the things we will be doing during battles. We also have a quick and funny event that we can invoke during combat called Bloody Valor, which is similar to rock, paper, scissors. Mock (Life recovery) wins to Taunt (additional damage) and loses to Provoke (Increases SP Gauge) and the latter loses to Taunt.

After both have chosen the options, our character or the opponent will use unfriendly words. If we win, the event continues (until we reach Valor Level 3, we win the option we have chosen, and our Valor Level increases and we gain improvements for our character. If the Bloody Valor summoner loses, the event automatically ends.

When the Level Value is at maximum, we can perform **** (Fiber lost). And whoever gets caught by this technique automatically loses his clothes and the battle. Seeing all the characters performing their **** as well as the other attacks is very, very rewarding. However, there is a weakness that bothers me during the battles against the covers. That's right, I'm talking about the Lock-on. Because it's a real deck of cards (it shifts to this one and suddenly shifts to those and so on) and you can't pick a target.

Strangely, online mode is only available after completing the Satsuki chapter in story mode. Unfortunately the options we have in online mode are limited because, for example, there is no tournaments, just normal battles. And anyone who has ever felt the pain of inviting our friends on Dragon Ball FighterZ and BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle, knows what I'm talking about. Not having a invite button and being forced to give our friends a password to enter our room isn't practical at all. As we complete battles, we earn DP points that can be used to purchase things in Digital Figure (which we can admire and land character models), Sound Test songs, and Voice Library voices. Overall, unfortunately Kill the Kill The Game: IF suffers from a lack of options and content.

Veredict: Kill la Kill The Game: IF is not a bad arena fighter, but it is only average because of the small roster of fighters, the problematic lock-on and the lack of options in online mode.
  2. Sep 4, 2019
    Great gameplay, graphics and sound. But the game is very poor in content. Few characters, scenarios and extra things to do.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Aug 27, 2019
    With a light and airy story, a number of insubstantial game modes and a limited roster of characters, this is a package that has about as much substance as the twin protagonist’s battle suits. It’s one for Lady Satsuki’s Elite Four, assorted devotees and few others. We’d rather be watching the series. [Issue#166, p.84]
  2. Aug 21, 2019
    Kill La Kill - IF is a pretty descent fighting game, with a good but very simplistic gameplay, a new alternative story well told, but the lack of content is obvious. Fans only.
  3. Aug 13, 2019
    The developer has managed to adapt the anime quite faithfully. However, by focusing mainly on the story they have neglected other important aspects of the game, such as the limitation of characters, modes and combat scenarios. However, the pace of frantic fighting and how well it is achieved, adaptation can become a fan.