8.7

1. Sep 7, 2018
    After having played for a couple of hours, I am curious to play more, but I don't think I like this as much as the Arkham games. The combat seems like a nice enough imitation of the Arkham system (the attack and evade buttons are too far apart, though ...), but the investigation, pre-engagement positioning and traversal gameplay is much worse.

The Arkham games had this wonderful sense

The Arkham games had this wonderful sense of being a predator who is in full control of his surroundings. This was most obvious in the stealth encounters against enemies with guns, but it was also the framing of most other fun activities in the games. You monitored your surroundings from the shadows or from above, made a plan, and actively choose to engage with melee fights, stealth sections or puzzles. Some sections were pretty linear despite this, but the games always made it feel like you were planning your approach.

I don't get the sense of being in control of my surroundings at all in Spider-Man. The game doesn't expect me to or reward me for trying to make observations about my surroundings. I feel like I am stumbling from one decent combat encounter to the next one, without having any active part in planning the overall approach to traversal, engaging enemies or puzzles. The game doesn't provide any real options, or even any quality faked ones, which relegates the player to the role of a decision maker and button presser in a series of Arkham style combat encounters.
  2. Sep 7, 2018
    The game's pretty good but its seriously gets repetitive after few hours the combat is very repetitive and at sometimed tedious although the story is good the length of the same is disappointing the open world barring the handful of side activities the new york feels pretty dead the graphics are stunning but one major flaw is how dumb or outdated the A.I in this game is it's justThe game's pretty good but its seriously gets repetitive after few hours the combat is very repetitive and at sometimed tedious although the story is good the length of the same is disappointing the open world barring the handful of side activities the new york feels pretty dead the graphics are stunning but one major flaw is how dumb or outdated the A.I in this game is it's just disappointing to see there is literally no challenge as such the combat is very easy overall good game 7/10 Expand
  3. Sep 28, 2018
    So glad this game wasn’t rushed for a ‘17 release. Well polished and a load of fun to play.

It does get a bit repetitive but only after about 6 hours straight gameplay- rest for an hour or so and you’ll be itching to get back into the game. (My kids love it too!)
  4. Nov 17, 2018
    Game world is amazing, graphics amazing, the swinging.. also amazing. However, the majority of the games story/missions are dull & poorly written. It absolutely has some stand-out moments but overall it's a mostly weak story. Side-missions are incredibly repetitive. Maybe they should've cut down each side-missions category down by a few. The game is enjoyable but it could've been muchGame world is amazing, graphics amazing, the swinging.. also amazing. However, the majority of the games story/missions are dull & poorly written. It absolutely has some stand-out moments but overall it's a mostly weak story. Side-missions are incredibly repetitive. Maybe they should've cut down each side-missions category down by a few. The game is enjoyable but it could've been much better story/mission wise. Honestly feel this game has been & still is incredibly over-hyped. Expand
  5. Oct 1, 2018
    A good game, but not as great as I was led to believe. The game is pretty repetitive and the side missions lack variety. The bosses are generally fun though. Graphically solid but unexceptional. Overall I honestly enjoyed Batman Arkham Knight more.
  6. Oct 15, 2018
    I had really high expectations for this game considering it was developed by Insomniac. However it turned out to be a big let down and a few hours into the game I thought it was actually developed by Ubisoft. The game is littered with garbage side content. Also at several points you're forced to complete quite a bit of this crap to progress. The actual story is nice but very short unlessI had really high expectations for this game considering it was developed by Insomniac. However it turned out to be a big let down and a few hours into the game I thought it was actually developed by Ubisoft. The game is littered with garbage side content. Also at several points you're forced to complete quite a bit of this crap to progress. The actual story is nice but very short unless you plan on doing the garbage side stuff that litteres every corner of the map.

Also the combat is almost a straight copy of the newer Batman games and having played them all before I got bored of the combat in Spiderman very quickly.
  7. Sep 21, 2018
    What could be an amazing game is brought down by a weak story and forcing you to go stealth with miles and mj. You could tell that insomniac put a lot of love into this game but at the same time you can also tell that they were doing whatever they could to make the game as long as possible. The mechanics of Spiderman are flawless. They nailed the fluidity of swinging throughout the cityWhat could be an amazing game is brought down by a weak story and forcing you to go stealth with miles and mj. You could tell that insomniac put a lot of love into this game but at the same time you can also tell that they were doing whatever they could to make the game as long as possible. The mechanics of Spiderman are flawless. They nailed the fluidity of swinging throughout the city and the combat. It's basically how I felt about my first time playing arkham. I felt like I was actually Spiderman. For me where the game starts to fall apart is he story and the side missions. Anytime a story mission goes into either a lab scene or an mj/ miles scene the game loses its step. There were far to many campaign missions that just felt like filler. I think now that they have the core mechanics down the sequel will be something truly great but for now this game just falls short on reinventing the arkham style. Expand
  8. Sep 25, 2018
    Spider-Man est un bon élève. Compilation des idées de bien des jeux avant lui, le titre d’Insomniac enfile son masque avec respect pour une balade entre immeubles sans passion. Dans les toiles collées de-ci de-là se forme au matin une rosée un peu opaque, composée de ce qu’aurait pu être l’aventure. Rien de grave, Spider Man ne chute pas dans les bas-fonds des jeux à licence ratés, maisSpider-Man est un bon élève. Compilation des idées de bien des jeux avant lui, le titre d’Insomniac enfile son masque avec respect pour une balade entre immeubles sans passion. Dans les toiles collées de-ci de-là se forme au matin une rosée un peu opaque, composée de ce qu’aurait pu être l’aventure. Rien de grave, Spider Man ne chute pas dans les bas-fonds des jeux à licence ratés, mais utilise son sujet comme simple habillage plus que comme véritable inspiration. Dilué par des missions d’infiltration - sans Peter - anecdotiques au mieux, et d’autres qui ont comme seul but de densifier artificiellement l’expérience, le jeu peine à trouver son rythme, à trouver sa voie. Amusant et réussi lorsqu'il s’agit du feeling des acrobaties aériennes, il ne sait pas se réinventer et termine en bout de course après une dizaine d’heures, conclusion qui arrive déjà trop tard. Tous ceux qui attendaient un Manhattan comme trip vertical et parc d’attractions géant pour araignée en goguette devraient être satisfaits pendant un petit moment. Il n’empêche que le sentiment du déjà joué 1000 fois les toise depuis la rue. C’est lui le vrai villain. Expand
  9. Sep 26, 2018
    I loved this game. I have on PlayStation a platinum. For me, this gamr is amazing,great missions, good side quests, the best game story of the year. But, there's some bugs that just don't let me put a 10 score review. Also, I think the game is challenging, but there's some boring secondary missions. But trust this should be the game of the year. I have the on 100% on only 1 week. Why askI loved this game. I have on PlayStation a platinum. For me, this gamr is amazing,great missions, good side quests, the best game story of the year. But, there's some bugs that just don't let me put a 10 score review. Also, I think the game is challenging, but there's some boring secondary missions. But trust this should be the game of the year. I have the on 100% on only 1 week. Why ask you Metacritic users. I'll respond y'all with i simply got addicted on this amzingly addictive game. Expand
  10. Sep 24, 2018
    I had more fun playing Spider-man than the overhyped God of War. That said, Spider’s grand story is overshadowed by its less than stellar gameplay and tedious missions. The absence of a new game plus mode is inexcusable and lowers the game’s replayability. Spider is still worth buying, however, it’s not a match against Batman: Arkham City or even Arkham Asylum—which launched nearly aI had more fun playing Spider-man than the overhyped God of War. That said, Spider’s grand story is overshadowed by its less than stellar gameplay and tedious missions. The absence of a new game plus mode is inexcusable and lowers the game’s replayability. Spider is still worth buying, however, it’s not a match against Batman: Arkham City or even Arkham Asylum—which launched nearly a decade ago. And that’s ironic since Spidey closely mimics Batman’s formula in numerous aspects. Spider-man is a better than average hero game, but it’s safe and repetitive.

Graphically, Spider is decent. Video scenes are solid. Spidey’s animations and outfits are well-rendered. Voice acting is on par with other AAA titles. Acrobating around NYC is smooth enough. The 30fps lock is disappointing tho. Spidey feels sluggish at times since his frantic movements don’t translate well at the substandard frame rate. In hectic moments, frames will abruptly drop into the teens. Spidey is a spastic combatant, and gameplay would’ve greatly benefited from 60fps. The developers should’ve included an option that downgrades graphics to boost frame rates.

I don’t understand the frame lock. Compared to exclusives like Horizon:Zero Dawn and God of War, Spider’s set pieces are unremarkable. The sandbox is large, but buildings and assets are flat and nondescript. Except for landmarks, everything looks the same, and everything is impeccably pristine. There are no signs of wear and tear on structures which have stood for over 100 years. There’s no grime or rust. It’s a forgettable city that’s comprised of generic, copied and pasted assets.

The story starts strong, but quickly stumbles over itself. It mimics Arkham Asylum’s plot. But the end result is uneven pacing, a handful of boring missions, and mostly uninteresting villains. Except for one, villains play minor roles, and encounters with them are formulaic: Dodge, dodge, QTE and then rinse, repeat. They aren't menacing at all.

Fatigue creeps in just after the midgame. Tedious side missions are endlessly recycled. Enemy bases are recycled as well. Enemies are samey, just reskinned for each faction. Players don’t get to explore NYC’s underground, slums, or subways. Players who feel adequately upgraded may just want to focus on the story.

Spider forces gamers to play as other characters in multiple “stealth” missions. These are boring, on-rails missions that exist solely for plot exposition. They comprise roughly an hour or more of the 10 hour campaign. After zipping around as Spider-man, these missions serve as a harsh reminder why such missions suck. Who wants to play as Mary Jane? Nobody.

Spider’s world lacks dynamism. Despite one villain’s miles long rampage, cranes tipping over, and flying wrecking balls demolishing buildings, nothing physically changes once missions end. Buildings are unscathed. Showing a cityscape crumbling apart at the seams would’ve instilled realism and urgency into the game. Characters refer to all the demolition happening around them, but there’s no evidence of it anywhere except roaming gangs of baddies.

Combat is passable, but it lacks Arkham’s refinement. Locating grapple points in stealth is a perfect example. After a sneaky flying kick takedown, Spidey can’t quickly zip away to other locations. Players must rotate the camera until it’s perfectly positioned on certain objects and hope grapple icons appear. Looking at objects isn’t enough tho. The crosshair has to be positioned at exact points on objects, otherwise grapple icons don’t appear. Camera location, distance to objects, and object heights all affect this as well. A cumbersome, inexact process. Targeting specific enemies for web attacks is just as awkward.

Spider’s combat emphasizes gravity defying dodging and stunts. But the lack of aiming on certain moves and poor camera angles handicaps the hero. He will web pull enemies from out of frame although he’s looking directly at other ones. This leads to unavoidable damage. Performing multiple instant takedowns is problematic because enemies are occluded during the close up, slowmo animations.

Although Arkham's Batman moves slower than Spidey, his moveset is precise and deliberate. Batman’s focus on brute force combat translates well ingame and provides players a greater sense of control. Gadget use in Batman fares better as well. Overall, Spider’s combat is chaotic, but not always in a good way.

Spidey can only refill gadgets by performing enemy takedowns. Specific takedowns are required to refill each gadget. Players with slow reflexes will enter battles unprepared. Focusing on suit upgrades which mitigate damage is helpful.

Spider-man isn’t a bad game, but it needs a new game plus, better set pieces, a streamlined story, and more polished combat. It doesn’t dethrone Arkham Batman as the king of the hill. One playthrough is enough for me.
  11. Sep 16, 2018
    YEs, this game does deliver the Spider Man experience for the true lover of the webslnger. Yes, the game plays fun and is also a great sandbox. its full of features to unlock, some RPGish elements and having no micro transactions is huge. They could seriously have made purchasing costumes a micro transaction heaven. ITs a decent looking game. Not amazing by any means but solid.YEs, this game does deliver the Spider Man experience for the true lover of the webslnger. Yes, the game plays fun and is also a great sandbox. its full of features to unlock, some RPGish elements and having no micro transactions is huge. They could seriously have made purchasing costumes a micro transaction heaven. ITs a decent looking game. Not amazing by any means but solid. Everything about it is fun and rewarding and addicting. It must be pointed out that this is THE biggest ripoff of the Rocksteady Arkham games you will ever play. Literally, I was playing the game and couldn't stop thinking..."this is batman reskinned for Spider-Man". It has to be pointed out and it should affect the overall score. It didn't even try to break new ground in any areas of the game. Thats probably not a dealbreaker for anyone and for many its probably something that will make them like the game more. I still think it deserves to affect the overall rating of the game. Expand
  12. Sep 13, 2018
    There is nothing here i haven't played before,
    batman in spider-man's suit. Some of the missions bland and ho hum, the combat system been there done that, bored with it quickly.
    Well at least looks good. Good for a pre-owned purchase.
  13. Sep 10, 2018
    What makes the game good is the outstanding gameplay during the games actions sequences, which there are plenty of. Though its implementation of an open world is very poor and is lacking of enjoyable content. The map is riddled with side activates but unfortunately these are way to repetitive and simply not fun to do. The fact that you also have to take part in these activates in order toWhat makes the game good is the outstanding gameplay during the games actions sequences, which there are plenty of. Though its implementation of an open world is very poor and is lacking of enjoyable content. The map is riddled with side activates but unfortunately these are way to repetitive and simply not fun to do. The fact that you also have to take part in these activates in order to upgrade your equipment forces you to do things that you may not find as entertaining.

There is also something about the pace and the setting of the game that feels a little bit off. It feels like you are jumping from gameplay area to gameplay area without it feeling coherent enough which ruins the immersion. And the world itself, even though it’s pretty, feels un-interactive and bland.

In the end this game suffers from a common flaw in games nowadays, it is way too shallow. The story is ok and the action is great but that’s not enough for me to praise the game with a higher score.
  14. Sep 23, 2018
    Unfortunately, many people are simply overlooking the greedy and discriminatory practices of the game.

Before the gane was even released, they already had 3 paid DLC packs announced and advertised that finished off storylines that were left hanging in the actual game! If EA had done this with a single player game, this would have caused an outcry. Secondly, the game is

Secondly, the game is neutral/positive towards the idea of private mercenaries working with their soldiers/copa (and even references them in the game) despite the crimes and violent actions such groups are known for throughout the world. Furthermore, it seems strange that the Demons enemy group is comprised solely of Chinese people who are hateful and violent unlike Fisk's thugs who are a mix of backgrounds who are less antagonized.
    Otherwise, the graphics are pretty good. But one thing to note is that this kind of web swinging was done before in The Amazing Spiderman 2 game for ps4 and Insomniac is not original in bringing it back from the Spiderman 2 game from over a decade ago although it is a nice system they currently have.
  15. Sep 21, 2018
    This is an ok game. I am a bit disappointed to be honest. The graphics are good, the frame rate runs really well most of the time. The story is very good. The voice acting draws you in making you want to root for ol Spidey. So, if the graphics are good, the story and characters, why is the game a 6? Simple, the game play is not up to snuff and the pacing is horrible. I wish there was moreThis is an ok game. I am a bit disappointed to be honest. The graphics are good, the frame rate runs really well most of the time. The story is very good. The voice acting draws you in making you want to root for ol Spidey. So, if the graphics are good, the story and characters, why is the game a 6? Simple, the game play is not up to snuff and the pacing is horrible. I wish there was more upgrades for attacks and abilities in the game. Sure, Spidey has some, but not enough to keep the combat engaging. After awhile, the fighting can get very repetitive. I think the real problem is how most of the enemies just require you to use basic moves. Maybe adding some villians in there who would have demanded more moves and techniques would have spiced up the action. But, all of that pales to the big problem which is pacing. There is so much action packed bosses at the beginning of the game with lots of neat challenges and obstacles to overcome, but the problem is the middle. Oh my God! It gets so boring! No challenge from any of the enemies and the fighting gets to the point of repetitive which made me just want to put the game down. The end picks back up, but the 5 hours of downright boredom I experienced before it picks up back towards the end.

I know a lot of people are enjoying this game and that is cool, but for me, this ends up another disappointing game for the PS4 lineup this year. GOW, Detroit and now Spider Man have been major letdowns for me. After an incredible 2017, 2018 has not been as kind to the PS4, and I thought Spider Man would easily be my PS4 game of the year. I really was looking forward to this game. Looks like I will have to wait for another Spider Man game before I can call one great. It is something I am seeing more in western games now. Developers seem to focus on style over substance which has caused me to navigate more to eastern games (Persona, Dragon Ball, Ys YIII, to name a few), I really wanted to like this game and it isn't a bad game, not by a long shot, but some really bad choices in pacing and combat drag it down to just an above average game I am sad to say.
  16. Sep 24, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Game is good and the graphics are excellent but story was a little bit annoying for me
    The Ending of the game and the boring story and side missions make you irritated sometimes.
    In this game I felt like I was out of Marvel , and this is not connected even a little bit with comics.
    The boss fight of shocker was frustating for me and the fight with DR.Octavious oh my god it is the worst. The side of peter needs to interesting rather than Boring.
    But still people loved it the story was not for me.
  17. Sep 9, 2018
    it's a good game not as good as rocksteadys take on batman but certainly a good first attempt by insomniac graphical downgrade i honestly can't tell looks fine to me combat batmans system felt much better but it does feel unique the world and story however feel to pg 13 it's just to nice a little bit of political correctness sneaking into the game spoils the immersion just doesn't feelit's a good game not as good as rocksteadys take on batman but certainly a good first attempt by insomniac graphical downgrade i honestly can't tell looks fine to me combat batmans system felt much better but it does feel unique the world and story however feel to pg 13 it's just to nice a little bit of political correctness sneaking into the game spoils the immersion just doesn't feel real the game world size is far to small as well misson variety and villains where thin on the horizon the game as said is a good first attempt but not deserving of all the tens shows how starved people are this year for quality games Expand
  18. Sep 7, 2018
    Yes he has a donwgrade, yes he has a good story, yes he has an ok combat system and yes this feels like a Arkham Knight Mod
    Sorry is a meh game
  19. Sep 14, 2018
    Marvel’s Spider-Man is a game with many faults, but it’s still easy to enjoy. If you’re committed to doing everything, you’re probably going to burn out. So much of the side content strings you along with rote gameplay, and the story alone isn’t going to be enough to get you through the entire runtime. But, if you’re just looking for a fun Spider-Man power trip, then simply doing the storyMarvel’s Spider-Man is a game with many faults, but it’s still easy to enjoy. If you’re committed to doing everything, you’re probably going to burn out. So much of the side content strings you along with rote gameplay, and the story alone isn’t going to be enough to get you through the entire runtime. But, if you’re just looking for a fun Spider-Man power trip, then simply doing the story missions and skimming the surface of the optional content will be a fantastically fun time. The combat, traversal, and general gameplay are all fantastic, and I’ll be looking forward to the future DLC as an opportunity to play with new combat scenarios. A sequel is all but confirmed at this point, and there is a lot of potential here for an incredibly strong follow-up. Marvel’s Spider-Man may not have an interesting story to tell, but its great combat and swinging mechanics make the wait for an inevitable sequel more than bearable. Expand
  20. Sep 9, 2018
    This is a maximum effort of generic. Nobody will talk about this game in about a month.
  21. Sep 7, 2018
    I've been sitting here staring at the screen for half an hour, thinking what to say. This is what I came up with: Spider man just killed himself out of boredom because Insomniac Games appointed him to the mayor of town mediocreville where everything he does is so mundane, he would rather castrate himself little by little, using a cheese grater.

As said, everything is just ok. There is

As said, everything is just ok. There is nothing great about this game. Story is just fine. Gameplay is just fine. Graphics are just fine. Voice acting... wanna guess.. Yes! Just **** fine.

In combat enemies constantly swarm you and the dodge mechanic leaves you open for attacks because after a dodge spider-man stays still for a time that seems like eternity until he can move again. Combat like this was much better in games like Batman archam series and Mad Max. Also Spider-man suddenly seems like the weakest super hero ever. Is this some kind of parody? Even kick ass is stronger than this spider-man. Couple of hits from a common thug and your dead? On medium- or "amazing" difficulty as it's called in this case the game is harder than Technomancer. If you haven't played that one, I urge you to try it. It makes darksouls look like that little puzzle box where you put different shaped blocks thru the right holes. And that's what the puzzles are like in this game. I did one with my eyes closed. I sh't you not!

What the hell is this trend of xp and character levels in every game on the market these days. How about creating a strong story line, challenging but fair combat system and fun side missions that give the player bonuses that aid in tough fights? How about out of your **** mind crazy ass boss fights that make you sweat? Nope! Instead go and find back bags that award you with one extra spider suit if you find them all. Except you don't have to find them. They are marked on your map. WTF?! So is this what the game designing just is these days? Where did all the fun go?

Holly sh't am i disappointed. I'm a huge spider-man fan and this game is pretty much a slap to my face. I want to like this game so much but it just isn't possible. On a positive note, the web slinging is pretty fun and it's implemented very well. I'm in a little disbelieve because in trailers this looked so much better. What happened between the latest trailer and launch? Where did all that amazing super hero sh't vanish? I sure as hell can't find it.

I give this game a score of one gray toyota prius out of Lemmy Kilmister raising from the dead and riding a flaming dragon while cutting off Justin Biebers head..

..where's my flaming dragon for f'cks sake!!
  22. Sep 13, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've completed the game, all harry research stations, all backpacks, all pigeons, all bases, all landmarks.
    I just need to finish up challenges and I'm going to have the 100% mark done pretty soon. So I have a comprehensive experience on it.

This unfortunately is being run by a hype machine, it's nowhere near the 90s people are giving it and over rates the game and misleads people to where it's at.

The obvious good points are the visuals are great, along with the web traversal, it's intuitive and very smooth. You will rarely ever swing into a building and donk yourself against it, losing all the momentum you've built up. (although that should be a given in a spider-man game).
    I liked a lot of details like the little tweet section and JJ podcasts that adds a layer of immersion to the world. The interiors on buildings that you're crawling past despite eventually being copy paste still managed to impress me because of the effort of city detail when they could have just put mirrored windows on

The core story is very short, and the padding as Mary Jane/Miles Moral can be extremely tedious when you just want to get to being spiderman and I ended up just speed running as them and finding not a lot of issues in recklessly running around as them.
    The bosses themselves are waaaaay to easy, Their patterns you figure out within 15 seconds because they're that repetitive. And you just end up rinse/repeating that strategy until the cutscene arrives which can feel a bit of a chore not a engaging challenge to over come.

The story lingers a lot on Martin Lee, like, a lot. A good 66% of the game is about stopping him so the sinister 6 thing feels a little rushed because you only get one mission boss fight with them each and then they're gone. Made them kinda disposable characters for some of spidermans main villains.

Most of those are legit criticisms but not worthy of bringing it down three points...but my biggest gripe? The side missions/side quests. The most mundane rinse and repeat fetch quests/time trials/"map reveal" watchtower clichés that we have seen time and time and time again in open world games. They're getting so repetitive in the genre that I'm already bored of them the first time I ever played them in the game because I've already done it a million times before.

The set crime response missions were pretty good, but they need to make it more organic. Kind of like a radiant system with a wide plethora of missions. All the way from stopping bank heists to helping old ladies cats out of trees. Bring back the friendly neighborhood spider-man.

I feel like it's a good start for spider-man, but insomniac weren't trying to make an amazing game rather than a decent one to make the set up for a sequel that REALLY has potential. (symbiotes, which I was kinda disappointment didn't make an appearance here.)

Also, PLEASE devs, PLEASE. Make villains unlockable characters to play again like when the first sam raimi spiderman game let me play as the green goblin, or how ultimate Spiderman let me play venom.
    Do you realise how god damn cool it is to play as those characters, or doc ock? Missing out there
  23. Sep 19, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is currently my game of the year. I struggled a bit at the beginning because I was trying to play it like Arkham, but once I learned to utilize all of my gadgets and focus on the brutes and gun men first, I feel badass taking out 30+ enemies only taking a couple hits. The story is pretty good. It focuses on Mister Negative and his rise to power at first, and then you get the entire Sinister Six in the closing act of the game. Over all a really good game.

Edit: down from 9/10 to 6/10 because while in the main game you could almost always go in direct or stealth, I always did direct. Now i am doing side missions that require stealth and it is absolute bull. The punch and stealth kill are on the same button, and the game seems to randomly pick which it is going to do. You can kill enemies if you are on a wall and the enemy is close to the edge, but spider-man keeps jumping up on the ledge when I am nowhere close to it and gets me killed. Enemies keep seeing me through walls as well. Great game that was killed with **** stealth mechanics.
  24. Sep 15, 2018
    This game is very good, but has a lot of bugs, the camera should be better, and when you dodge it doesn't work every time. Besides that the game is very very similar to Batman Arkham Knight, almost a copy. The story is good and the graphics are crazy.
  25. Sep 16, 2018
    Marvel's Spider-man has an excellent narrative for anyone tired of the same origin story retold over and over again. However, after getting around my love for the web-slinging spider I got to notice all the flaws fans seem to miss. Don't get me wrong it a great experience for a spider-man fan, the web-slinging is great but not perfect.

The combat is incredibly repetitive and easy. I

The combat is incredibly repetitive and easy. I found myself creating the same moves over and over again, even as i got into the latter parts of the game. it went from dodging to smashing the attack button to pressing triangle to go to the next enemy and repeat. I found not much of a reason to upgrade my skill tree after a while. Though I strangely liked this better than the Batman Arkham games.

The graphics don't seem as good as i thought as they would be. After hearing about the whole puddle controversy digital foundry confirmed that the graphics had actually gotten an upgrade but I am not seeing any improvements. The character models are fine with the exceptions on Peter. I am not one to usually pick on a game for its graphics cause that's not a game's main strength but I couldn't get over Peter's strange design, specifically his eyes. Mary Jane also seems to lack the design I remembered from comics and cartoon series as she is more of an average looking redhead with Lois Lane traits instead of the girl next door bombshell.

As for the story, if you play other PS4 exclusive games then you can probably see the similar formula. As they try hard to copy the same cinematic experience you see when you go to a movie theater. Not a bad thing but when it becomes a consistent trend I fear more games will follow this practice and prioritize it over gameplay. I was also disappointed in the lack of villain fights during the game, they weren't many and the early ones felt more like a tutorial than actual boss fights. Black Cat's mission was anti-climatic, the side quest were hardly challenging and the MJ/Miles segments were unnecessary.

While I love playing as Spider-man I do wish there more choices to play as him rather than follow a linear scripted narrative, but that's just me. I'm sure a lot of people loved the quirky humor and laughable segments with Spider-man and Yuri or the J.J. podcast. Overall I liked this game but it isn't a 10/10 just because of the graphics and easy clone combat of Arkham. It isn't a bad game and it definitely isn't a masterpiece but it does need improvement. Hopefully, the DLC won't feel like cut off content.
  26. Sep 17, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. MAJOR SPOILERS ABOUT THE ENDING AHEAD!

I was originally gonna write a long and boring review about the game but I thought might as well just write a few of my points here. I was a Spider-Man fan since I was a kid playing the PSX title and watching the animated series on TV back when it still aired, my point being I love everything Spider-Man.

When Insomniac announced they were developing the game I was thrilled, and now that I got to play it, I think Insomniac has done a lot of great work. Such as:

Great graphics despite the ps4 being relatively weak

Combat is super fluid and fun, the swinging is top notch too

RPG elements and simple skill trees

Suits that were never before seen in other SM games

Good writing in Act 1 and 2, the beggining of the game is fun and doesn’t include uncle Ben

Good camera mode, I never really use it but when I tried it was fun and unique

City looks amazing and vibrant while you’re swinging.

Obviously the list goes on as a lot of the game is done right, but I also feel like the game has rocky parts that are almost left unaddressed, such as:

Arc 3 feels super rushed. The writing goes from being good to cliche/surface level lines such as “you don’t know me” “this is what we do, we save the world” “I trusted you” “you were my hero” “I never stopped caring” bla bla. I just feel like the ending had no weight whatsoever.

Silver Sable is extremely underdeveloped as a character (similarity to Nadine in Uncharted 4)

Marry Jane is being toxic, and despite this she gets back together with Peter and claims that "she never stopped caring" haha like what?? The ending is obviously pure fan service in response to the “One More Day” arc in the comics, which it didn’t even have to be considering none of this had even happened in this games universe, by now we have already agreed that it was a horrible choice to reset SM like that, why base the ending on that? Peter doesn’t deserve being in a relationship with someone as irresponsible and selfish as this universes MJ just because the plot demands it. There was a chance to do something unique here, maybe show that Peter has matured and realized that this was not a good idea for either her or him.

Research Stations try to force me to care about not only Harry whom we only see post credits but also his dead mom whom I’ve never even seen in anything SM and smoke clouds around NY.

You get a taste of what side missions were supposed to be like (tombstone) but since development probably had to be rushed they ended up being “go beat up these corrupt students four times” (extremely repetitive)

City feels as dead as it did in the past few games. If you stand still in one area you notice that cars don’t move, NPC don’t have animated mouths, they mostly just freeze up and you hear lines thrown at you from both channels.

Last but not least, non existing boss battles. The last battle came kind of close but as soon as you die you reload almost right where you died on all of them.

I wrote this post because I’m very passionate about both SM and this game, and I truly feel Insomniac is the best studio to handle SM games, but I also write it because this game has been getting so many 10/10 reviews as well as praise which I don’t think it deserves. Ultimately this game was a strong 6/10 for me, meaning it was enjoyable and mostly good, just not great. I’m looking forward to their next SM title! Sorry for the long post guys!
  27. Sep 12, 2018
    Spider-Man arrives after a long hiatus but whilst the visuals are clearly up to the standards we expect from gaming in this era, the game-play itself is very generic and dare I say, last gen.

Spider-Man is not 'new' to being the 'superhero' so we don't get yet another origin story. However, Spider-Man still has to unlock the map using towers that many Ubisoft Open World games did in the past. For someone that has been Spider-Man in New York for years, its disappointing to see that Spider-Man doesn't know New York until he unlocks the towers. Combat is rip off of Batman Arkham games - albeit with a bit more verticality thanks to the more athletic Spider-Man but I do think its less responsive too. There are some great animations in combat but these have to play out before you can do the next move. This can be frustrating as after a dodge, there is a pause before Spider-man can 'move' again which makes the controls feel unresponsive at times. Sometimes Combat feels great, at other times it feels frustrating, sluggish, unresponsive and for a 'super' hero, known for his strength - which we do see at times (like lifting up cars or collapsed concrete beams), he feels remarkably weak in combat where it can take a few punches to be killed yet some basic goons will take a lot of Spider-Mans attacks to knock them down. Not great when swarmed by 3 or more and dodging leaves you vulnerable to a hit before you can resume your attack.

On the ground, Spiderman feels very sluggish, not very athletic at all in running. Swinging can feel great when it works but again, there are times when the controls don't seem very responsive. Wall crawling is slow and running up buildings often can seem erratic too. Spider-Man can't climb metal towers either despite the fact that they are like 'ladders' that normal humans wouldn't struggle climbing.

The open World is well realised but despite being more populated by 'civilians' and vehicles, something the Arkham games weren't, its not particularly interesting (other than visually). The activities and Side Quests are mundane and more filler than anything else. You do have the 'bases' with waves of enemies, random 'crimes' that are repeated in different areas, places of interest to photograph and back-packs to collect. These are not exactly 'skippable' either as you need these to upgrade gadgets and craft suits - how a photograph/backpack helps here, I don't know. Its all just filler, repetitive and/or mundane.

I won't go into the story to avoid spoilers but there are a lot of scripted elements and a number of QTE's too. You can't come up with your own strategy to beat a boss for example and often rely on dodging until a certain window of opportunity instructs you to use your webs to jam up or swing a heavy object at the boss and repeat until you move to a different phase.

I know this sounds 'negative' overall but its not all bad. Its very much an 'old' (last gen) game in its format, its game-play and open world but with a quite impressive current gen visual. Its not very innovative and has a lot of aspects that other games get 'criticised' for today - just look at Ubisoft open world games and the general reviewers comments about towers, bases and mundane side quests/activities. I do think that if you are a Spidey fan, as I am, this will score more than the sum of its parts but as 2018 game, its not contemporary with what we expect from other open world games now.

To address the 'downgrade' issue, its certainly not a bad looking game at all and there are some areas that are far more complex than the E3 image comparisons we have seen. Whilst its true that scene is a downgrade in terms of complexity, I can believe that the change was made more out of man-power, budget and/or time limitations - having to create specific reflections foe every rooftop rather than having one 'generic' reflection and reducing the puddles so that the missing building reflections aren't an issue because of the placement of the smaller puddles was not a decision based on hardware performance. I am sure the PS4 could have handled that scene but Insomniac changed it because they didn't have the time, budget and/or manpower to create bespoke reflections for 'every' puddle, every rooftop etc in the game and it was much easier, as well as take up less space, to make one 'generic' reflection that can be used everywhere.

Anyway, I am awarding this game a 7 out of 10 as a Spidey fan but you can take 1 off if you are indifferent to Spider-Man. Its a game that 'borrows' from others (Arkham, Ubisoft Open Worlds etc) and wraps them up in some impressive visuals and relying on Spider-Mans popularity to sell rather than being something 'new' and fresh with the Game-play as its major selling point.
  28. Sep 11, 2018
    After soo much waiting the game has finally launched and honestly i dont know what the hell is wrong with people this game doesnt deserve a 10/10 or a 9/10 thats just being dishonest its a good game but it has issues BIG issues mind you and im gonna point them all out in this review.

1. the game is too repetitive 2. it lacks fun openworld activities 3. lacking in animations 4.

1. the game is too repetitive

2. it lacks fun openworld activities

3. lacking in animations

4. Dynamic crime system is limited to 5 crimes per district per enemy type (meaning if you progress in the story and discover new enemies they will start to commit crimes the problem is the crimes arent randomly generated and infinite meaning you have a limited amount of them)

5. miles morales and marry jane gameplay sections all boil down to sneaking past guards and are pointless.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

THE GOOD

1. web swinging and overall traversal is AMAZING

2. the combat is phenomenal

3. the story is fantastic

4. the boss fights are fun for the most part

5. the suits and gadgets upgrade system is awesome

6. the characters are great

7. the game was suprisingly stable not a single crash on my system

8. the collectibles are awesome

9. the visuals are so mind blowing that they make arkham knight look pixelated by comparison

10. the controlls are very well done

All in all its a good game but it has issues, issues that shouldnt be there in the first place i dont understand why soo many people are giving it a 10/10 or a 9/10 it just doesnt deserve that rating be honest for **** sake. if you want to buy the game now id say go ahead its worth the price for the most part if you can look past some issues that is. i hope the sequel fixes most of these problems.
  29. Sep 10, 2018
    The open world is cool and the game play is pretty high up there, but I really feel like the story is super meh. There are new mini bosses around every single corner of the story and you end up playing more characters later on in the game and you ask yourself "why?".

This is supposed to be a spider man game and the extra characters feel super out of place and forced just for the sake of inclusion. Instead, just make them part of the interactions with Spiderman!

Combat is pretty well done, no complaints there. People are saying it get's stale, but I never had that thought. The world is good, but definitely not perfect. The puzzles you need to complete are borderline 3rd grade level, tedious, non interactive and frankly boring... They also don't make much sense logically. However the web slinging and interactions with the world itself are very well done and I was surprised at how much you could do with it.

If they made the story better and polished the 'theme' of the game, it would probably be a 9 just because the combat and the "I am actually Spiderman" moments.
    However currently it feels a bloated and not well thought out.
  30. Sep 9, 2018
    the game is very good, good graphics and big open world. But the experience is tarnished by a fall of fps without any explanation and a good amount of bugs to which more curious
  31. Sep 7, 2018
    Good Game, could look better (E3 footage). map transversal gets old real quick, combat not as fluid as Arkham. Fun game
  32. Sep 7, 2018
    Game looks good. Still needs lot of improvements as doest look like it looked in E3 at all(in a bad way). I tried to convince myself that its different from arkham knight but the truth is this game reminds me of batman on every way except there is no batmobile "till now".
  33. Sep 8, 2018
    I played through to the end in about a day. The game has a lot of side content on the surface, but in reality it's just the same 6 or so missions recycled every 4 blocks or so. Once I saw thieves rob the exact same store for the fourth time I decided to avoid side content when possible and stick to the main story when possible.

The story itself while decent could use some work. This

The story itself while decent could use some work. This game starts out slow and reaches a peak during the last 5 or so missions. The side character stealth missions are enjoyable if nothing new. The spider-man missions are fun at times but tend to get repetitive due to the game's combat. The combat in the game is Arkham's combat with almost no modification. The main difference is that you have a web shooter that can incapacitate all enemy types provided their on the floor. Nothing new is really added and the game mainly just adds more enemies as the game goes on. All early missions follow a strict formula where you either fight enemies or do some stealth takedowns from above (this is taken from the Arkham series as well). Stealth gameplay is pretty basic so it loses it's charm after the first few times. The main story gets a bit better at the end when it goes into bigger set pieces instead of repeated content used over and over again, however this makes up only about 15-10% of the story overall so the main campaign could have used a bit more polish.

This game may be worth playing if you really like spider-man (which I do), but as a game it doesn't do anything really well or interestingly so for most there are other games that are better worth your money.
  34. Sep 10, 2018
    tl;dr review:
    Good fighty swingy. Tinges of wokeness. MJ ugly af. Doesn't follow the comics. Story too short. Wait for it to drop to $20-30.
    Full review: I spent the entire weekend playing this game. I've played most every Spider-Man game since the NES, and I think I even played the DOS version back in the day. Several have been horrible. This one is just meh. It's not a Amazing (pun
    tl;dr review:

Full review:
    I spent the entire weekend playing this game. I've played most every Spider-Man game since the NES, and I think I even played the DOS version back in the day. Several have been horrible. This one is just meh. It's not a Amazing (pun intended), but it's not trash. The main reason I play Spider-Man games anymore is to see Venom and /or Green Goblin. This game has neither.

What this game does have is an SJW coating. Almost every new character is a person of color. The only exceptions I saw were a guy with a man bun whose ethnicity I could not determine, a cop who was a jerk, and a football player, who again, was a jerk. Luckily they didn't race/gender swap any existing characters. It also appears that they intentionally hired unattractive actors as Mary Jane is a square jawed, plump faced, ginger without any sex appeal whatsoever. Aunt May isn't meant to be a sex symbol, but she looks like a crack whore in this game. Peter just doesn't look like Peter to me, but he's the least offensive of the main protagonists.

The main story is too short. All the side missions, backpacks, etc. pad it well, but I was able to get 80+ percent in every area after about 25 hours, and I think you could do just the main story in 10.

The story deviates widely from any of the comics. It's an interesting take, but the scene after the credits made me strongly dislike the story as a whole. Without spoiling anything, it appears that two characters will be combined in the next game. Looking back on it, the story feels like a Rian Johnson wannabe, where expectations were subverted but not in a good way.

I would always sigh in frustration every time I was forced to play as anyone other than Peter. I don't like the Miles Morales story line from the comics, and his inclusion in this game just feels forced. Now, there was one section where you get to see Spider-Man in the background doing his thing, and that was pretty fun and creative, but just sneaking around is very counter intuitive to what I expect from an action game. I don't play metal gear solid because I don't wanna hide in the dark, I wanna run up and punch people.

Now for the good. The combat, albeit almost too easy on normal, is very satisfying. Being able to turn off quick time event prompts, button mashes, and tedious brain teasers was much appreciated. The web swinging never got boring for me. It was nice that with the exception of a few areas, I never had a problem with finding something to swing from. This has been frustrating in other SM games. Wall crawling around corners or trying to jump off a building was a little clunky, but overall it was easy to traverse the city, and it never felt like a chore.

The graphics are top notch. Detail put into office buildings and apartments is great. Looking through a window you could even see action figures sitting on shelves. Due to the unattractive actors, I almost wish the graphics weren't so good. With the exception of hair, faces are lifelike. Some of the boss fights are stunning, but the main or co-main villain fights have too much dialogue. It causes the story to lag and lose weight. The long section that was shown at e3 was the best part of the game in my opinion, and I was sad that it was spoiled for me beforehand. All the boss fights were far too easy on normal. Perhaps doing side activities leveled me up too much, but I didn't just run around doing everything before doing the story missions either.

With respect to the glowing reviews this game is receiving, there is a disturbing trend lately where mediocre games are called masterpieces. I love games, I love Insomniac games, and I liked this game, but if I was gonna replay one from this series, it would be Ultimate Spider-Man. Maybe my nostalgia goggles are on, but that game had a great art style, a story that was faithful to the comics, great web swinging, and Venom and Carnage. I wouldn't even say that game is a masterpiece. It's a solid 8/10.
  35. Sep 11, 2018
    Great game, im enjoying the story. The customization aspect of the game is down right fun. However, some of the challenges are, to me, pointless and seems nothing more to serve as filler for the great but ultimately, not that long of a story and to justify the exorbitant price. If the challenges weren't necessary to help boost your equipment, i wouldn't bother with them
  36. Sep 13, 2018
    Unpopular opinion - Marvel's Spider-Man is just a good game

Unpopular opinion - Marvel's Spider-Man is just a good game

Marvel's Spider-Man is a good game and nothing more. The only thing that draws grind and repetitive side quests - moving around the city on the web and then, after two hours of cramming all the possibilities of the Spider. The city is dead and nothing happens in it, but you do not notice flying over the streets. It is worth stopping for one minute as the magic breaks down.

We will not talk about the plot - everyone who wanted to, already familiar with it. He is, but it is more interesting to learn about those eight years past, through the found objects and comments of Peter, than to immerse himself in a new story.

Our assessment: You do not need to buy a console for Marvel's Spider-Man, but if you already own PS4, then not paying at least 5 hours would be a crime. P.S. Provided that you do not know where to put $ 60
  37. Sep 10, 2018
    Bueno juego pero creo pudieron hacer algo mejor esperemos la segunda parte mejoren lo que falto en esta.
  38. Sep 9, 2018
    Fun comic-book action that should keep Spidey fans entertained. Good superhero action; far better fare than the N64 Superman nightmare.
  39. Oct 7, 2018
    All the side stuff is very tedious and over and over and over and over and over and over of the same content. This game lost a point (was an 8 based on the story) due to this never ending tediousness. far from a 10. Don't believe those reviews at all.
  40. Sep 19, 2018
    game overrated is not 910 game lol .Plot and the graphics are not bad But all other elements do not carry anything additional missions are boring grinding
  41. Oct 8, 2018
    These Miles parts and early MJ were really bad ,and the Bioshock puzzles were just a boring filler even the devs are aware of it and made it optional, MJ got a LOT better in her last 2 missions the rest of the game is solid , BUT I think the AI is joke a both in combat and "stealth" witch can use more polish and creativity in the future , and absolutely NOBODY saw that ending coming , goodThese Miles parts and early MJ were really bad ,and the Bioshock puzzles were just a boring filler even the devs are aware of it and made it optional, MJ got a LOT better in her last 2 missions the rest of the game is solid , BUT I think the AI is joke a both in combat and "stealth" witch can use more polish and creativity in the future , and absolutely NOBODY saw that ending coming , good game though . Expand
  42. Oct 10, 2018
    Mixed feelings after completing the game.. Web-zipping is the best part of the game. Story is ok. Fighting is the worst part of game. Why the hell spider-man needs to punch average man 10 times until knock him down ? But at the same time spider-man can stop a car by his own hands, and then 10 kicks for KO a simple man ... Where is the logic ? You don't feel like a super hero, you feel likeMixed feelings after completing the game.. Web-zipping is the best part of the game. Story is ok. Fighting is the worst part of game. Why the hell spider-man needs to punch average man 10 times until knock him down ? But at the same time spider-man can stop a car by his own hands, and then 10 kicks for KO a simple man ... Where is the logic ? You don't feel like a super hero, you feel like a ****

Web-zipping gameplay: 10/10
    Story : 6/10
    Fighting: 0/10
  43. Oct 12, 2018
    the game is cool and all, being spider man is cool (being the other guy, or MJ not so much) the visual is really cool, web and swing around the city is cool, but after all the game seems like a batman franchise rip off, and not properly well done even. the battle mechanics are obviously ripped from the last batman games, but it is less stylish, there are less combos and less variation ofthe game is cool and all, being spider man is cool (being the other guy, or MJ not so much) the visual is really cool, web and swing around the city is cool, but after all the game seems like a batman franchise rip off, and not properly well done even. the battle mechanics are obviously ripped from the last batman games, but it is less stylish, there are less combos and less variation of enemies.
    even tho the story is cool, the real high point for me is just swinging around the really magnificaly well done new york city.
    even the 7 cool major enemies arent well used in the game, you fight of them like 2 quick times and it's over.
    as said the game is ok, but my expectations were way higher than what i've been presented.
  44. Oct 16, 2018
    Well this was disappointing. It starts well enough but it quickly becomes a shallow experience. I guess this might be a fine game for the casual gamer and I would recommend it but to everyone else I'll say to wait until it get to at least half price.
  45. Nov 18, 2018
    I keep trying to love this game only to realize that I barely like it. I’m a fan of Sony’s third person, single player exclusives - are there any other kind? - but man, I’m just not into it.
  46. Oct 7, 2018
    Spiderman is a game that is worthy and a well-written Marvel experience. It's that game that we've hoped for, all of us who really grew up with the Spiderman comics, and it twists and 'modernise' the plots a little bit. But that's not a bad thing.

What is a bad thing though, is that the game absolutely revs the PS4 Pro to shreds while in-game. I know, you're thinking that I might've got my console tucked into something or that it's badly ventilated or not cleaned or whatnot. It's not. Reviewers rarely comment on these things, but there's that.
    I don't necessarily point on things as good or bad as a measurement on what score I'd consider Spiderman with. Let's just say this: when the story goes on, it is really flipping good, and when you're swinging around webbing stuff - you really do feel like you have great powers and great responsibility. But everyone else doesn't seem to have that much of any responsibility? Citizens of New York are kind of dull. Not much is going on other than traffic. There are side missions and tasks that are quite fun, but it gets repetitive really quick.

Spiderman is that game where you do stuff in order to unlock trophies. You could absolutely go for the Platinum trophy in this game, just do everything fairly good. But you don't play it for too long, because then it mostly feel like you're doing in-game chores. So my experience was really mixed. It's absolutely the best Spiderman game we've played and if you're a Marvel-fan it's a no-brain decision to get it. If you're thinking "I don't know.." about buying it, you could absolutely wait for a price-drop. If you're thinking I'm an idiot "Of course it's great!" then buy it immediately. It's a solid buy, but comes with some minor faults and the risk of feeling dull after playing for some time.
  47. Nov 3, 2018
    Если взять ULTIMATE за "День благодарения", а "Shattered Dimensions" за Рождество, то MARVEL Spider-Man со свистом втиснулся промеж праздников...
  48. Oct 27, 2018
    I love this game one day. Then i hate it the next. One day i could play it for hours unbored. The next i get bored on the loading screen. This is the most undecided i've ever been on a game
  49. Oct 4, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review will be honest and may contain spoilers.
    First of all, the game looks and plays amazing, which was a big relief for me as I was very excited for this release. The game play is fun and engaging, the upgrades are worth while and help out in combat more than I would have thought. I was pleasantly surprised. The combat is fun and can be challenging. The graphics are gorgeous and pretty mesmerizing, especially while swinging through the Big Apple. The buildings all look great and the main characters certainly have a good amount of detail to them. You're probably wondering why I am only giving 5/10, well let's get to that. The game is flashy and has good controls. It's 2018 and I expect that from any game. Aside from it's shine, it's the same Spider-Man that's been done over a decade ago. The side missions get very repetitive, some are even borderline pushing a political agenda (spoiler alert) such as Spider-Man hunting down cars with bad fumes for Harry (because that's what Spider-Man is worried about. Not the city falling apart or anything.) So we got a dash of environmentalism thrown at us, not the worst thing but certainly not what I'd expect for a side mission in a PlayStation 4 exclusive. Another big complaint is that all of the people walking through the city had Xbox (original Xbox) detail of graphics to them, I felt like I was playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater on the PlayStation 1, which was not the worst throw back but certainly not what I would expect for a PlayStation 4 exclusive title. More spoilers coming; Playing as Mary Jane was interesting at first but not very necessary and did not add to the story. I bought the game to play as Spider-Man, not anyone else. Which brings me to my next criticism, the introduction of the character that was both boring and bland, who never really made an impact in the Marvel Universe because they slapped on the Spider-Man brand onto someone who should never have been written, Miles Morales. His missions were probably the worst part about the game based on how boring they were. No one buys a Spider-Man game to play as anyone but Spider-Man. It seems as if Marvel and Insomniac are preparing to trade off our favorite hero Peter Parker in favor of one of the most hated names in the Spider-Man universe, Miles Morales. What I personally feel happened is Insomniac got nervous because they could not be original enough for Spider-Man to have his own missions and tried to avoid getting really creative. A lot of the game playing as Spider-Man also mirrors the typical Assassins Creed style of unlocking areas on the map. I will add one big plus to the game is that web slinging through the city really is fun and can entertain for quite some time. Unfortunately for our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, even that becomes a dull experience as you near the end of the story. I can only hope the DLC will bring us some better missions and a reason to pick up and play again.
    Aside from that, the game as I stated prior is a real repetitive disaster in many ways. It's fun and for real Spider-Man fans like myself it was worth every penny. Unfortunately I have to accept that this game is just receiving a lot of hype because it's the first Spider-Man game to be done with decent controls and a shine on it in over a decade.
  50. Oct 12, 2018
    I'm a big fan of Spider-Man, and sadly fell for all the hype that lead up to me playing it. Instead of being Amazing or Spectacular, I found the game to be merely passable.

It tries so hard to be an Arkham Asylum game, and it just isn't up to par. The overall story is great, very well written and compelling. Web-swinging is for the most part pretty good, though all this "it makes you *feel* like Spider-Man" comments floating around oversell it.

Combat is frustrating. Giving it liberally takes so much from the Arkham games, you'd think they'd do a better job emulating it. A simple comparsion: while in the Arkham games, using dodge interups an enemy's attack so they don't hit you as you vault over them, whereas in Spider-Man the pitiful cartwheel out the way still leaves you within reach of the attack you're trying to avoid. I found the best approach was to smack what enemies I could into the air so they couldn't hit me, which became incredibly stale as the game progressed.

The stealth sections are equally annoying, not least because sometimes despite executing it flawlessly, you're still forced into fighting waves of enemies at the end, making you wonder what the point was. There are also 3 "mods" you can equip at any one time that increase you proficiency at both stealth and combat, but you have to manually switch between them. A better design choice would to be able to switch between a "stealth" and "combat" load out would have been a better idea, or just simply move these three stealth mods to the skill tree and be done with it.

I'd of been happier watching the cutscenes play out as a movie, rather than play it as a game. A shame, I was really looking forward to something special.
  51. Nov 4, 2018
    Details: 7
    Mechanics: 7
    Animations : 9
    Boss fight : 5
    Pro: tons of costumes
    Con: boring boss fights and too much ripetitive

1. Oct 5, 2018
    It’s more than enough that Spider-Man’s mechanics are so smooth and exhilarating that I was actively seeking out new excuses to partake in them, even when there was repetition in the actual tasks. In so thoroughly capturing what it’s like to be this character, Insomniac hasn’t simply made a great Spider-Man game, but the great Spider-Man game. I’m glad that Activision lost the license.
  2. Games Master UK
    Oct 4, 2018
    A gorgeous, superbly slick sandbox that's always a delight to swing through. Pity about the script. [Nov 2018, p.62]
  3. games(TM)
    Oct 4, 2018
    Everything you can do here is positioned to celebrate Spider-Man's abilities, and that means everything you can do makes you feel like Spider-Man. [Issue#205, p.69]