5.8

1. Sep 12, 2014
    I greatly appreciate the couch coop, and the modding, but this game needs more than that. More focused story and less copy and paste missions that might as well be randomized. I could only recommend this to someone who really loves this type of side scrolling shooter, or really needs a game to play with friends. I also personally despise throwback graphics like this (and obnoxiousI greatly appreciate the couch coop, and the modding, but this game needs more than that. More focused story and less copy and paste missions that might as well be randomized. I could only recommend this to someone who really loves this type of side scrolling shooter, or really needs a game to play with friends. I also personally despise throwback graphics like this (and obnoxious chiptune music), they gave me massive headaches when I was younger and I do not miss them. Expand
  2. Apr 14, 2014
    This game was one of the biggest NOPE I have ever experienced. Yes, at first glance it looks cool in a Metal Slug kind of way but I **** you not, it plays and feels completely the opposite way of what a side scroller shoot´em all should feel.

Cons; Timed missions (wtf??) Extremely repetitive npc's (you have no idea) weapons system sucks 1st weapon will always feel better than any

Cons;
    Timed missions (wtf??)
    Extremely repetitive npc's (you have no idea)
    weapons system sucks
    1st weapon will always feel better than any upgraded weapon.
    boss fights are NO FUN AT ALL, difficult and a pain in the ass
    weird level design
    Only 2 character selection.
    annoying music
    Difficulty, this time around its not fun or rewarding at all.

I deleted the game even I got it for "free" with my PSN+ subscription.
  3. Apr 1, 2014
    Mercenary Kings may be worth your time if you can convince three of your friends to play co-op with you. It's early stages drag a bit, but once you get to new locations. The game also becomes naturally funner when you upgrade weapons, armor, and when you buy mods. Mercenary Kings also benefits from having a looting system if you will, which keeps things from getting stale. It's a free gameMercenary Kings may be worth your time if you can convince three of your friends to play co-op with you. It's early stages drag a bit, but once you get to new locations. The game also becomes naturally funner when you upgrade weapons, armor, and when you buy mods. Mercenary Kings also benefits from having a looting system if you will, which keeps things from getting stale. It's a free game on PS Plus that should be given a chance if want something new to play. Don't expect anything to grand though. Expand
  4. Apr 3, 2014
    A really fun and challenging game. Brings back memories of classic 8 & 16 bit side scrolling shooters of yesteryear. An added bonus is that it's free for PS Plus subscribers.
  5. Apr 2, 2014
    This game is a great throwback to classic 2D shooters I grew up with in the 90's. The music is fantastic and makes great use of some chiptunes. The difficulty is something else that seems to have been tweaked perfectly. I died numerous times on the first couple levels but always was able to figure out enemy patterns and outwit the level in the end. I have heard complaints about reoccurringThis game is a great throwback to classic 2D shooters I grew up with in the 90's. The music is fantastic and makes great use of some chiptunes. The difficulty is something else that seems to have been tweaked perfectly. I died numerous times on the first couple levels but always was able to figure out enemy patterns and outwit the level in the end. I have heard complaints about reoccurring stages getting repetitive but honestly I have not had that problem. The stages themselves are HUGE and easy to get lost in. The looting and customization is something to marvel at and will easily have me coming back for months. NOT TO MENTION the online and local co-op which is the best way to play co-op on the PS4 right now in my opinion. The game is fast, fluid, polished and a complete joy to play. Expand
  6. Apr 21, 2014
    What I was expexting? Metal Slug with customizable weaponry.
    What I got? A gathering game with shooting elements.
    What I was expexting? Metal Slug with customizable weaponry.
    What I got? A gathering game with shooting elements.

A few things I want to say before the actual review. First, this is a throwback of the old side-scroller shoot 'em ups, so yea, graphics are going to be snes/ps1-era graphics. Second, story is going to be generic as it usually is for side-scroller beat 'em ups. Third, the game starts off a bit slow. If you're too ADD-ridden to deal with it after the fact you purchased it, go buy the same COD installment that Treyarch has been releasing the past decade.

With that aside, Mercenary Kings is a 2D-side scroller shooter that is heavily influenced by the Metal Slug series. The vertical/horizontal shooting patterns, melee attacks, plethora of enemies to shoot, and weapon upgrades. What's different from the two is that Mercenary Kings has actual objectives, some different gameplay mechanics, and the weapon upgrades are permanent.

First of all, what the game is about and what you do about it. The Kings are an elite mercanary group sent out to destroy an evil group called CLAW and their baron overlord. You do that by being sent out to a very large, pre-generated map (several areas the game progresses through) and completing an objective. These can be anything from blowing a generator with C4 to extermination. Some missions will have bonus objectives but every mission has a secret objective which both will net extra cash and materials. The enemies you meet along the way are the classic, generic grunt to riot shield grunts to large, rainbow-glowing dog bosses. All enemies will have a chance to drop some materials used to craft gun parts, melee weapons, and body mods for stat boosts and other useful functions.

Unfortunately, this is where Mercenary Kings loses focus. If you want to collect and experiment gun parts, you better hunker down and spend a couple hours grinding for every tier set. This is the main reason I knocked this game two points down. The game became more grinding than gunning down helpless fools with your spinning skull trombone shotgun. It wouldn't even be half-bad if there was at least a "try-before-you-buy" demo room. With that aside, the gun customization is MASSIVE. Want a shotgun with the capacity of a rifle? You can make it. Sniper rifle derringer that fires acidic bullets? By all means. A cat attached to a toilet that shoots flaming pellets? It's there for the taking.

Gameplay mechanis are pretty simple. You can aim either vertically or horizontally, jump, crouch, roll to avoid attacks, and melee. You also have a mini-map you can access from the touchpad button, a backpack to hold secondary items, and an active reload. Otherwise, pretty simple. The game will punish mistakes pretty roughly and reward skill as you won't be half-dead when you reach boss #2.

Mercenary Kings could have had a lot more potential, but the lack of map variation leaves players visually bored and the materials system mentally bored. For 15 USD, you could get about 20 hours if you blaze through. If you collect all of the pieces, a heck of a lot more. Not a bad investment, and even better if you got the free PS+ deal. 7/10
  7. Jun 5, 2014
    The game is honestly just meh, if it wasn't for PS+ I probably would not have played this game. I love the look of the game, but in general its just plain boring.
  8. Apr 2, 2014
    Some younger gamers may be daunted in the early stages of this game and jump to leaving an early negative review, I explore you to stick with it. After the gun crafting gets in to full gear this becomes one of the deepest 2-d shooters I've ever played. Maps are expansive and ripe for exploration, the difficulty is tuned just right, punishing you only for mistakes on your part and notSome younger gamers may be daunted in the early stages of this game and jump to leaving an early negative review, I explore you to stick with it. After the gun crafting gets in to full gear this becomes one of the deepest 2-d shooters I've ever played. Maps are expansive and ripe for exploration, the difficulty is tuned just right, punishing you only for mistakes on your part and not holding your hand. Too many games today let you waltz right through without any skill, this isn't one of those. Expand
  9. Apr 1, 2014
    A fun game. Brings back memories of consoles past. Playing with friends is a must. But you can't go wrong with getting the game FREE with Playstation Plus!!
  10. Apr 6, 2014
    This is my favorite playstation plus game (and indie game) for my PS4 so far. I grew up with the sega and 32X and played my friends nintendo systems and I am sick of hearing people compare this to games of that generation. If it did come out back then gamers minds would've exploded in awesomeness and loot. This game isn't Contra. This games is closer to Borderlands than Contra.

I

I think people play and can't get over the steep but extremely brief learning curve and judge it like they remember the outdated games of the past where death meant restarting the game completely. Say you do die on the same level 15 times... you collect the components from the enemies you defeat/ treasures you find and using a very simple and intuitive crafting system you can make armor, weapons (including all of the parts and ammo) and knifes to completely destroy that level you were having such a hard time with. You can also buy one time use items such as med packs and C4 to help you through the stage. You can hunt animals and use their meat to cook foods for buffs on missions and with each rank you earn you learn new weapon blueprints, etc. You can also use components to create lasting buffs such as increase speed or weapon damage.

The learning curve continues to rise throughout the 25+ hour campaign with expert pacing and the replay value is almost endless. The story is really the only lacking part but I did enjoy it none the less. The game is an awesome retrospect into games of the past like you remember them, but a side by side comparison will look insane.

Get this game for free with plus or buy it for 20. Either is worth it.
  11. Apr 6, 2014
    I've spent probably 20 or more hours playing this game so far. You really have to stick to the game for the first few hours (at least until you rank up once or twice), and then after that, you'll have a clear understanding of everything you need to know for the game, and a lot of the gun crafting, proficiencies, etc. will start opening up, revealing the depth of the game to the playerI've spent probably 20 or more hours playing this game so far. You really have to stick to the game for the first few hours (at least until you rank up once or twice), and then after that, you'll have a clear understanding of everything you need to know for the game, and a lot of the gun crafting, proficiencies, etc. will start opening up, revealing the depth of the game to the player You'll start wanting to complete all the missions, build all of the most incredible and cool looking guns (You can build a TOILET shotgun! A python magnum! It goes on!).

The game has incredible music, and if you appreciate the 32 bit art-style like that of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, you'll love this game's amount of detail in the levels, characters, enemies, weapons, and just about everything. The gameplay is also very solid, and very rewarding. You'll never feel like it wasn't your fault that you died, and as long as you play smart, you won't die often. It is only difficult if you are prone to making mistakes. The controls are flawless, and the implementation of weight like in Fallout games is great. If you think the game controls sluggishly, that's because you weren't paying attention to the weights of your weapon combinations, and you were lugging around 12kg.

The only problems I have with the game are that occasionally during boss fights there will be very quick lag spikes that might make you miss a dodge or reload off beat, but it's not frustrating. When the game first came out it would crash once in every 10 missions usually, but the next day the developers released a patch fixing this, showing their dedication. There is also a slight problem (I think) with playing co-operatively. The rewarding money from each mission is reduced for each player in the mission, there are also only a certain number of shared lives, and you lose money each time anyone dies. While this does encourage teamwork and it's quite satisfying when your team is able to pull off a mission, it is quite frustrating if you're just trying to play with friends who aren't as gaming savvy, and they're consistently failing the mission for you. The only other complaint (not for me, but for impatient people and younger gamers) is that the game starts a bit slowly. Other than these very small complaints (the first might even be remedied in the future), I have no problems with the game, and only love.

Local co-op in this game is quite fun, but I also think it's completely worth your time if that's not an option for you. For one, the online multiplayer works great. There's little lag, and it's just as fun. Especially because you still get to see everything on fullscreen, rather than divided up into four little boxes. (Provided the game is very zoomed in, and being in one of the small little boxes isn't detrimental to the experience).

Also, there's something here for everyone. If you love Megaman, MetalSlug, or Contra, you'll find that the combat here is just as satisfying. If you love Borderlands, you could spend hours building different weapons that are all viable, crafting different modifications to your character, and unlocking proficiencies to max out your power. If you love Monster Hunter, there are TONS of missions in the game that will keep you hunting for a long time to come, and a variety of missions and enemies. If you like games like Diablo, then you're going to have a lot of fun looting. Loot drops from just about everything, and is the center of certain mission types.

Story-wise, there is a story. And it actually gets somewhat interesting. You play as characters brought back to life via a cure from creatures called mandrakes, and there is an evil faction ran by the baron of CLAW. You're trying to stop the tyrant, but you run into more friends along the way, and there's more that you need to do. So yeah, the story is interesting, but it's not all that important. The writing is great, though, and had me laughing on a few occasions. If you pay attention, you'll get to know all the characters and the funny little bits about them.

So, overall, (and if you managed to read this far, congratulations, you should probably just get the game since you'd probably only read this far if you cared about the game already) the game is absolutely worth getting. If you're already a member of PS Plus (which you should be), this game is an incredible selection for the free game of the month, don't pass it up. If you aren't a PS Plus member (What's your problem?!), this game is still worth the $20, and I'd recommend you get it, unless you really don't like any of the games it's similar to. If you stick with it, you'll probably have around 100 hours of play time that (at least for me) has kept me interested throughout. The few issues are easily overlooked, and we have yet another create game from Tribute. I'll be playing this for a long time to come, and I give it an 8/10.
  12. May 24, 2014
    The reviews I read all tried to tell me to 'stick with it' and 'it pays off' but I disagree. I'd suggest you save yourself the time of downloading it at all unless you really need something new to play. If this game had cost anything, I would've been annoyed as well as disappointed. The modding is kind of cool and seems to be the main argument people have to continue playing. Time limitsThe reviews I read all tried to tell me to 'stick with it' and 'it pays off' but I disagree. I'd suggest you save yourself the time of downloading it at all unless you really need something new to play. If this game had cost anything, I would've been annoyed as well as disappointed. The modding is kind of cool and seems to be the main argument people have to continue playing. Time limits on the levels were an annoyance for me. They overcomplicate the simplicity of the genre with certain options available. It gave me a familiarity with the original Bionic Commando briefly but has nowhere near the charm. And what's up with the loading time for this game? Seems excessive. If you're a committed platform shooter lover then you'll likely disagree with me since I only appreciate the highlights of the genre like Bionic Commando and Contra. Expand
  13. Apr 26, 2014
    Unresponsive controls and unoriginal game design bring this game down to being unplayable. It's like if an fps made you decide to look around or shoot but you couldn't do both. That'd be frustrating and broken. Here you have to stop stabbing/ shooting in order to turn around to shoot or stab in the other direction which limits your ability to clear out groups. It apes the art style ofUnresponsive controls and unoriginal game design bring this game down to being unplayable. It's like if an fps made you decide to look around or shoot but you couldn't do both. That'd be frustrating and broken. Here you have to stop stabbing/ shooting in order to turn around to shoot or stab in the other direction which limits your ability to clear out groups. It apes the art style of contra and the active reload mechanic from gears of war but does not marry these two in any meaningful way Expand
  14. Apr 7, 2014
    Don't let uncouth whiners deter you from giving it a shot. When I saw it was this months PS+ title, I thought, oh great, another pile of fail like Dead Nation.... I decided WTH, I'll check it out. It's NOT a horrible game. It's 8-bit, and with the rise of the 8-bit, mining, nonsense games - this one is actually fun. It can feel a little tedious at times, and the maps get a little stagnant,Don't let uncouth whiners deter you from giving it a shot. When I saw it was this months PS+ title, I thought, oh great, another pile of fail like Dead Nation.... I decided WTH, I'll check it out. It's NOT a horrible game. It's 8-bit, and with the rise of the 8-bit, mining, nonsense games - this one is actually fun. It can feel a little tedious at times, and the maps get a little stagnant, but it's not NEAR as bad as what people are saying. I have sunk 20 hours into it, crafting gun parts, mixing and matching them. It keeps you engaged, much like Monster Hunter does. If you don't like side-scrolling, MegaMan/Contra style games, or gear-crafting, you won't like it. If you like to feel a sense of progression and growing in power and ability, while playing a retro style game that isn't a droning miner, this game is for you. Expand
  15. Apr 8, 2014
    Anyone who grew up in the 8 or 16-bit era would appreciate this game. Has a Metal Slug/Contra feel. Co-op (couch and online) is tons of fun. I've spent about 15 hours so far and the gun crafting is probably my favorite feature. The game is kinda slow for the first few levels. But you can craft a decent gun pretty quickly.

There are a few bugs and issues. But I believe most of these can

There are a few bugs and issues. But I believe most of these can be addressed with a patch. I also wish there was more customization to your character. It's free on PS+ so give it a shot. I think some the low scores are from 12 year olds that will never truly never understand.
  16. Apr 21, 2014
    Muy bueno el juego. Es impresionante como 360mb traen tanto. Tremenda customizacion, simple y entretenido. Eso si, al principio es complicado y dificil pero una vez le cojas el truco es bueno. Tiene un balance perfecto. Lo recomiendo.
  17. Apr 6, 2014
    The quality of this game is unacceptable on a next gen console. Don't even bother downloading it from PS+ as it's a waste of time. Would have been semi-decent on an 8-bit Atari 130XE but not on a PS4. I hope Sony gives us something decent on PS+ next month to make up for virtually giving us nothing this month.
  18. Apr 7, 2014
    Extremely disappointing that this is our offering this month. As for the game itself, it's decent. Bad controls, but it becomes somewhat fun later on. However, I can't support a game that was intentionally made to be an old school game on a next gen console. I know what that sounds like, but seriously. I bought a PS4 so I could play great BUT good looking games with a modern appeal. HowExtremely disappointing that this is our offering this month. As for the game itself, it's decent. Bad controls, but it becomes somewhat fun later on. However, I can't support a game that was intentionally made to be an old school game on a next gen console. I know what that sounds like, but seriously. I bought a PS4 so I could play great BUT good looking games with a modern appeal. How many hardcore console gamers that pay $50 a year for this service were excited to see this in the store at the beginning of the month. Like I said, it actually is somewhat fun, but my hard earned money needs something more. Expand
  19. Apr 7, 2014
    Graphics are fine and what I expected, but the gameplay just has bad mechanics. You cannot shoot diagonally...and what's with this reload bar that slides?...talk about annoying. If you don't hit it exactly in the yellow/green area you have to wait as it flashes red to show you how you failed. And what button do they pick for reload?....R1..that right, kids...have fun with that. Also,Graphics are fine and what I expected, but the gameplay just has bad mechanics. You cannot shoot diagonally...and what's with this reload bar that slides?...talk about annoying. If you don't hit it exactly in the yellow/green area you have to wait as it flashes red to show you how you failed. And what button do they pick for reload?....R1..that right, kids...have fun with that. Also, to use an item you have to hold L1 and select it, press square then switch back to your weapon with L1 again....while enemies and time still move...ugh. This would be a good game, but the controls ruin it. Expand
  20. Apr 8, 2014
    The Game is really good it is Monster hunter meets Metal Slug. The game is difficult in the beginning but once you get used the routine of the enemies and craft a new guns it gets easier. The customization and crafting is very very deep. I would have easily paid for this but for free on PS plus it is a steal. I haven't liked a game this much in a long time AAA or Indie. People posting 0'sThe Game is really good it is Monster hunter meets Metal Slug. The game is difficult in the beginning but once you get used the routine of the enemies and craft a new guns it gets easier. The customization and crafting is very very deep. I would have easily paid for this but for free on PS plus it is a steal. I haven't liked a game this much in a long time AAA or Indie. People posting 0's are taking the pi55 no game is worth a 0 and I doubt you played it enough to get into it. The game is probably an 8 or 8.5 but posting a 10 to offset the clowns who post obsurd scores Expand
  21. Apr 4, 2014
    If you grew up playing SNES, you are going to love this game. It doesn't hold your hand, so feel free to read a guide online before digging in, it will help a lot.

Gameplay mechanics are flawless. Graphics are great, and the music gets stuck in your head. FUNK. The only downside is matchmaking. Switching to public mode throws you in with other online players, you have no say in what

The only downside is matchmaking. Switching to public mode throws you in with other online players, you have no say in what mission you play unless you randomly become host. Best case is you have friends to play with or make some and use party chat.
  22. Apr 18, 2014
    This game is definitely one of the most interesting games I've played so far on ps4. This game's graphics are a pleasing homage to older games such as metal slug. The game-play at first-glance seems simplistic however it involves features such as crafting weapons, mods and food in the style strikingly similar to that found in the monster hunter series providing hundreds of styles ofThis game is definitely one of the most interesting games I've played so far on ps4. This game's graphics are a pleasing homage to older games such as metal slug. The game-play at first-glance seems simplistic however it involves features such as crafting weapons, mods and food in the style strikingly similar to that found in the monster hunter series providing hundreds of styles of customization for the player.
    The game also features both couch co-op and on-line with up to 4 players. The couch co-op I personally find a nice addition to the game and something that has been lacking from many games of the recent generations. The maps of the game are expansive and provide a metroidvania like feel to them. Some may find it boring if they aren't into 2D shooters or the games that are paid homage to in this but this is the only con I could personally find with this game (even then I wouldn't call it a con).
    Overall, this game is pleasing to the eye, fun to play and a lot of fun playing with friends, perfect simply for the game it attempts to be and manages to go far beyond that status.
  23. May 16, 2015
    I don't have a PS+ account so I bought this game. It does look great - much better than Axiom Verge (a fantastic game). I was expecting some Metal Slug like action (+ weapon updates).

Then I've started the game and it went downhill: - long loading screens for the missions AND for the base (where you pick your missions and upgrades...) - controls ridiculously suck: --- it's slow; your

Then I've started the game and it went downhill:
    - controls ridiculously suck:
    --- it's slow; your character is slow, the enemies are slow and don't move much
    --- you can't shoot in diagonals
    --- you have to reload every 10 seconds (with R1 !) and reloading is painful ! (I've played 2D shooters and many FPS - this is the first game ever to have annoying reloading)
    --- when you climb you can't shoot to the top or bottom
    --- etc.

I've played one hour (because I bought it ^^); finished a few missions, bought new weapons and I never had a feeling of progress or fun or pressure (you know when you're almost dead and close to the objective). All I felt was boredom and rage since I've wasted my money.
  24. Apr 5, 2014
    Again another disappointing month on PS+. This time we are treated to yet another game which would have been okay in the mega drive years but just isn't acceptable on a modern gaming console. Mercenary kings is a throwback to the old 2D Metal Slug type games but fails to hold the gamers attention due to an unnecessary and boring gun crafting kit. The game could have been a straight up funAgain another disappointing month on PS+. This time we are treated to yet another game which would have been okay in the mega drive years but just isn't acceptable on a modern gaming console. Mercenary kings is a throwback to the old 2D Metal Slug type games but fails to hold the gamers attention due to an unnecessary and boring gun crafting kit. The game could have been a straight up fun side scrolling shoot um up (which is what made games like Midnight resistance and Gunstar Heroes such old classics). But no, it over-complicates matters with crafting, and dull RPG elements like questing to find and retrieve objects. The level design is dull, the backgrounds all feel the same.

The controls are terrible and the reload mechanic is almost a game breaker. The character movement is sluggish and creates a very frustrating and dull experience.

The story is boring and way to many badly written text screens break up any of the action with lengthy meaningless dialogue (which I skipped out of sheer boredom) .

The art work is horrible yet the designer pretentiously thinks they've created something cool and hip. The badly drawn characters look and feel so dated and would have just about looked okay on the Neo Geo in the early 90s. I played for around two hours before un-installing and going back to FEZ which is a far better indie game and would have been much nicer as the free game this month.

Sony need to step there game up on psn and employ someone to make desisions to give away decent games. Last moth we had the disgraceful Dead Nation, this month the terrible Mercenary Kings. Lets home next month we get something worthy of our money.

Avoid at all costs especially if you grew up on side scrolling shooters, this will only make you hate the genre you remember so fondly. A poor attempt at reviving a once golden age of gaming.
  25. Apr 3, 2014
    Clearly pixel retro style nostalgia or denial that they wasted their money kickstarting this game is causing most of the 'professional' game critics to significantly over rate this game. I do not have a hatred for Indie games, I love lots of them but this one is not it.... its graphics quickly become boring and the controls just feel terrible and frustrating. Some of the gameplay of whatClearly pixel retro style nostalgia or denial that they wasted their money kickstarting this game is causing most of the 'professional' game critics to significantly over rate this game. I do not have a hatred for Indie games, I love lots of them but this one is not it.... its graphics quickly become boring and the controls just feel terrible and frustrating. Some of the gameplay of what exactly you're supposed to be doing seemed to be lost on me too.... maybe I got fed up and clicked through some important tip in the barrage of text bubbles? It is free on the PS Plus service at the moment so I cannot really complain but it certainly isn't a 9 out of 10 as some reviewers are trying to suggest. Far from it! Expand
  26. Jul 13, 2014
    what;s with all the complaining of the quality. this shooter game is an arcade game that is meant to have the graphics it has like "tower fall: ascension." this game allows you to customize your weapons to whatever you please. the multiplayer is a bit repetitive with great boss battles that makes you want to beat more bosses. this brings back memories of older games that i have played. iwhat;s with all the complaining of the quality. this shooter game is an arcade game that is meant to have the graphics it has like "tower fall: ascension." this game allows you to customize your weapons to whatever you please. the multiplayer is a bit repetitive with great boss battles that makes you want to beat more bosses. this brings back memories of older games that i have played. i would rate this game a 74/100 Expand
  27. Apr 2, 2014
    sooo badly game !! ,, really awkward .. dont wast tyour time on 2 bit game .. its not a good game by any means .. I dont know why they did bring it for free for PS4 PLUS memebers
  28. Apr 11, 2014
    I haven't laughed, yelled and cheered this much in a long time. On sheer level of enjoyment, I couldn't rate this game anything but a 10. Granted, I was playing on a couch with a friend - and I can't speak for the single-player or online experience. It's rare even the most polished AAA experiences deliver this much fun, and that can be a rough thing to admit.

Not to mention it's free on PS+.
  29. Apr 5, 2014
    Juego de los regalados con el psplus, tiene una apariencia a los maravillosos metal slug, pero nada más lejos de la realidad.
    Mapas enrevesados, muchísima información al principio, sin una buena curva de aprendizaje, además tan sólo dispone de dos idiomas:Inglés y Francés.

En definitiva, juego insufrible, aburrido y sin ningún aliciente
  30. Sep 6, 2014
    I personally didnt enjoy my time with this game. I really liked the art style and how it reminded me of the Metal Slug games (which I love to bits) but Mercenary Kings just didnt hook me at all. I found the controls clunky and the regeneration of enemies especially annoying. I know some people love it though so give it a shot, it just wasnt for me.
  31. May 11, 2014
    This game is fun and free with PS Plus right now... There are 112 missions so this game is not short....repetive yes... There is 1 mission where you control a Mech, they should of had more levels like that because most of the levels are the same...rescue hostages, neutralize boss, capture boss, destroy fuel tank etc.....
    There are loads of customizing options for your guns and you can
    There are loads of customizing options for your guns and you can also create biological mods that will help you in missions.... You collect materials throughout your missions so you can construct knives,guns,gun parts, decorations and banners, so there are a lot of things to do. The problem here is that, it takes devotion to get all the trophies for this game, mostly because you will have to replay missions and try and look for materials on constructing certain items, and it becomes a borefest.. They should of had a window pop up before every mission that tells you what materials are in the level before you play it... Instead you have to memorize what enemies are in each level so you can come back later and get materials you might need... You can talk to a guy that will tell you what each enemy drops but the problem is, is you may forget which enemies are in what levels because there are so many levels...

The game is not very demanding, yet I have had this game crash on my PS4 numerous times, also when missions are loading the scene looks like it is skipping continuously... The game will also skip while you are playing a mission.. I found this annoying because if you are at a boss and it does that chances are the boss will get a free hit on you.. Seems to skip out at the worse possible times too....
    The loading times are pretty bad for this game, everytime you fail a mission you have to go back to the camp and talk to the dude and then talk to another dude to take you to your mission... I also have not found anyway to quit a mission once you start it, and some missions can take 30 mins.....
    I also do not like how you have to play a guessing game on where the boss in the level might be. Also when you fight a boss you better beat him quickly because he will move on to another location and you will have to either wait for him to come back to your location or go across the map but by the time you get there you will fight him for literally 2 seconds and then he will move places again...

Overall I think this is a good game, if I had to pay money for it, I probably would of never even thought about buying it, but free it is worth a play, just do not be surprised to get bored from repetition.
  32. Apr 22, 2014
    If you are a geek of Metal Slug like I am, then you will dig Mercenary Kings no matter how frustrating its difficulty is, how unbalanced the gameplay is and how the upgrade system does not entirely work. It is a definite tribute to the old arcade shooter and its visual art-style and pretty violent slain options are really appealing.
    The game doesn't make use of a lot of the PS4's new
    The game doesn't make use of a lot of the PS4's new additions: The light bar turns to the colour of your character, and you can pop up the map with the D-pad. This is not a game that proves PS4's power, and only a crazy person would buy this game (It doesn't play as enjoyable as it should, and I am not talking only about the overwhelming difficulty but just how plain and unfair the game is as a whole) but Free with PS+, there is nothing to lose. It is not a game you will play that much either. Is a fun experience for some time, that quickly turns into dreadful. Mercenary Kings, by all means, is not the great game it wants to be. However, arcade shooters are meant to play ocasionally. If you respect the rule, then Mercenary Kings succeeds as a casual, energetic, violent and awfully punishing game.
  33. Apr 9, 2014
    The game is well worth the price of 20 bux. If you're fortunate enough to get it free through PS+ even better. contra / metal slug with borderlands take on guns. really enjoyable challenging and rewarding. no complaints other than some mission types like hostages are very tedious. PERFECT CO-OP game though local or online.
  34. Jan 25, 2015
    Hey, do you like time limits? Do you like losing all your progress when you hit those time limits? Then this game is right up your alley. Otherwise you should really look elsewhere. The game runs and I haven't seen any bugs, though, so it's functional at least.
  35. Nel
    Apr 21, 2017
    The game is mediocre at best, it has some potential and can be enjoyed, but the guns feels littelry useless at times, and there is just a lot of repetition.
  36. Nov 8, 2017
    If you're looking for a spiritual successor to Metal Slug then don't bother because this is absolutely not it like I hoped. It was a total waste of $5. I deleted it 3/4s through the game and don't regret it because you can have more fun just playing Metal Slug Anthology instead of wasting your time.
  37. Oct 3, 2015
    A free PS+ offering from a few months back Mercenary Kings is a 2d scrolling shoot-em-up which, thanks to some odd design choices, makes for a frustrating experience.

Any game featuring couch co-op these days is worth a look but even that couldn't keep my brother and I interested for much more than a couple of hours. Chief among the games problems are the fact that enemies respawn the second you move the screen in any direction (meaning you are often hit unaware by a bad guy you'd already killed), missions in which you can't find your objective and the fact that you have to constantly reload your weapon with R1 (which simply does not work in this type of game). Even for the cheap price it can be purchased for Mercenary Kings is not worth bothering with.
  38. Nov 16, 2014
    I played a bit of it both single and local multiplayer...and that was about 4 months ago. Goes to show you how much it caught my attention. It had great gameplay I thought, but not enough to keep you coming back for more. You guys want a better alternative? Try BroForce on PC/Mac. You won't regret it!

-Game_Row

Want to see some BroForce gameplay? Check it out on my YouTube channel.
  39. Jul 8, 2014
    A great game with a punishing difficulty which may bother some people. Do not listen to the bad reviews for this game. It's great and has fantastic gameplay. The 8/16-bit style graphics are compelling to look at and this game provides a great game. This game is super hard though and will turn people off. It is a little unfair when one bullet kills you and when there's a lot of enemies onA great game with a punishing difficulty which may bother some people. Do not listen to the bad reviews for this game. It's great and has fantastic gameplay. The 8/16-bit style graphics are compelling to look at and this game provides a great game. This game is super hard though and will turn people off. It is a little unfair when one bullet kills you and when there's a lot of enemies on the screen trying to kill you but I still think that this game is great. Overall this game is great and I suggest you buy it if you don't mind the punishing gameplay. Expand
  40. Apr 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mercenary Kings may be worth your time if you can convince three of your friends to play co-op with you. It's early stages drag a bit, but once you get to new locations. The game also becomes naturally funner when you upgrade weapons, armor, and when you buy mods. Mercenary Kings also benefits from having a looting system if you will, which keeps things from getting stale. It's a free game Expand
  41. May 19, 2014
    Mercenary Kings is a game that hearkens back to yesteryear, when games like Metal Slug ruled the arcade. But it lacks the polish that made those games great, and when this is combined with the often sluggish controls, it leaves you grumpy more often than it leaves you happy. http://intelligentgamer.org/2014/04/14/review-mercenary-kings-ps4/
  42. May 27, 2014
    Sadly I missed this game when it was free on the PS4, but I don’t have any regrets purchasing it this past weekend. My friends and I are already 8 hours deep into the game and we’re having an absolute blast. Great game play, awesome music, clean retro art style. What isn’t there to love about this game?
  43. Mar 9, 2016
    I got this game free on PS+ back in January 2014 during the game drought. I'm not sure why there's so much hate. This is one of the best indies I've played from PS+. It's art design is retro and the soundtrack is as well. It's got customizable weapons and plenty of missions. It's a very fun coop game with friends. I like the game personally and I'd recommend it for fun with friends.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 25 Critic Reviews

1. Games Master UK
    Jun 7, 2014
    Those guns feel rigid and lacking in power. [July 2014, p.78]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jun 5, 2014
    A modern platformer focused on crafting and dressed in a wonderful retro garb. Sadly, it recycles itself way too much. [Issue#242]
  3. Jun 3, 2014
    While its 8-bit action RPG fusion fulfills a baseline addictive quality, frequent missteps and repetitiousness pushed me too far away to ever get hooked.