7.6

1. Jun 18, 2018
    Nice graphics, I like the organic qualities of the art, and the movement/behavior of the creatures. The character styling and voice work are odd. However the combat system is quite challenging to get used to, and I was hoping for more of a free-ranging world; however this is a series of missions launching out from a hub. From what I hear it's much better with groups, but I have not enjoyedNice graphics, I like the organic qualities of the art, and the movement/behavior of the creatures. The character styling and voice work are odd. However the combat system is quite challenging to get used to, and I was hoping for more of a free-ranging world; however this is a series of missions launching out from a hub. From what I hear it's much better with groups, but I have not enjoyed it. Repetitive, nothing to hook me. I am also not a huge fan of crafting, which seems to be a large part of the game. Overall, I am wishing I could return it and am writing it off as one of my impulsive purchases of over-hyped games. Expand
  2. Jun 21, 2018
    It's a nice looking game. Cool RPG elements and combat, but there is something lacking so the game hasn't really grabbed me after 20 hours of game play. I still feel like I'm missing something. I generally enjoy the RPG grind, but the lack of instruction here makes this feel like I'm going nowhere. For the first time ever, I'm going to seek walk throughs and watch some YouTube vid's toIt's a nice looking game. Cool RPG elements and combat, but there is something lacking so the game hasn't really grabbed me after 20 hours of game play. I still feel like I'm missing something. I generally enjoy the RPG grind, but the lack of instruction here makes this feel like I'm going nowhere. For the first time ever, I'm going to seek walk throughs and watch some YouTube vid's to figure out what the whole point of this is. Expand
  3. Feb 14, 2018
    I bought Monster Hunter World purely based on hype without any previous experience in the series. Now, I've clocked around 50 hours so far, so you could say it's definitely been my money's worth.

In short: It's a good game, but nothing spectacular. The basic gameplay loop doesn't really connect with me and I find it a tad too repetitive and boring: (after dealing enough damage) the monsters ALWAYS run away, forcing you to ALWAYS pursue them. Repeat N times, until finally, it ends. Now, repeat again for the next hunt, and the next, and the next...

I understand why some (most?) people don't mind this and have fallen in love with the series; there is some variety in the way different weapons and monsters play, after all. That's what's kept me playing for so long. But it's a mixed bag and not for everyone.
  4. Nov 6, 2018
    i stopped playing after reaching HR 100 and might i say the journey there was fairly interesting, I have mixed feelings about this game as i am not too familiar with the series so i am seeing it from a new players perspective. The game is in short very grindy which is the appeal of the game as well as its multi weapon system that lets you choose any weapon of your choosing to mix up youri stopped playing after reaching HR 100 and might i say the journey there was fairly interesting, I have mixed feelings about this game as i am not too familiar with the series so i am seeing it from a new players perspective. The game is in short very grindy which is the appeal of the game as well as its multi weapon system that lets you choose any weapon of your choosing to mix up your play style. The game feels very multiplayer heavy, you can of course play by your own absolutely, but the fun is playing with your friends and taking down monsters as a team,that in itself is both a positive and a negative. while playing with friends it makes the monster a little more difficult to beat as it does synchronise with the amount of people in your group, but on its negative side you do all share deaths which means you will be punished for having a bad team member apart of your group. this also affects the matchmaking aspect as you can be paired up with very bad players and constantly fail quests which can leave you frustrated and wasting time,the 3-5 hours you may have free every day if you work a job may in fact feel pointless if for all that time you constantly fail quests because of the team you are put with making you feel as if you wasted all your free time achieving nothing.

The gear is also one of its let downs as well as the hub. The hub area made us believe that it is where players will be put to hang out as well as meet other players in the game much like a game lobby with random players, but unfortunately that wasnt the case, it is only for the specific party you are in and you can only be seen if you all choose to go to that area to meet up. The most 2 tragic things is possibly its gear, although the gear looks very beautiful and unique,there is always 1 or 2 gear sets that benefit a specific weapon so when you obtain the best gear you can expect the player you meet that use your weapon to have the same outfit you are using which makes us feel less unique,instead of giving us the choice to look however we wanted and still keep the stats on our gear the company used microtransactions where you can get cosmetics to give yourself a unique look without effecting your stats.This should have been a feature in the game as it has been in a feature in the series before it ive been told, this seems like something they used to exploit the fans and players and is very unfortunate to see. The last point is also about the grind and yes there is alot of grind to be done here,you will find yourself defeating the same monster over and over and over till you reach a point where you can read its every move ahead of time. one simple feature here should have been made so after you defeat the creature,whatever part you carve is the item obtained for example if you carve on the tail you get a tail material of the monster. i dont think carving at a monsters head 3 times and obtaining 3 tail pieces was a smart move to make, i do know the game is based on grinding but there has to be some reward that makes you feel good,even if it was made every 3 times you get to select a piece for your own as a reward regardless of what it is.

The game is not at all terrible and there is fun to be had here especially with friends, but its not something i can not downright say its a must buy for anyone,there is only a specific group of people that would enjoy this and that is very unfortunate.
  5. Mar 2, 2018
    As a newcomer to the series I can only comment on solely on this game and the experience I've had. and not with the direction or changes that has taken place in the series.

I'm very much on the fence with this game. Safe to say after some 20 hours I've put the game down to play other more interesting games. Firstly the good. +You get plenty of big monsters in this game to hunt and

Firstly the good.
    +You get plenty of big monsters in this game to hunt and the variety of them makes each one interesting, fun and different.

+ It seems simple enough, the game has a lot of features that focus on preparation. Most of these are pretty easy to get into and utilise and don't feel like a chore.

+ Visually the game is very pretty , with some lush environments. Each major monster is fairly distinctive visually.

+ Multiplayer works, even if the whole Matchmaker/interface is a bit of a chore. So teaming up and killing big monsters with friends is a plus.

+ there tonnes to do, beyond just killing the monsters. There is plenty of gathering, hunting and capturing quests as well as an arena and such. Which really fleshes out the game.

Now the bad,

- Hunting isn't as fun as the adverts. Its advertised as being a game that focus on tracking and preparation and exploiting weaknesses to maximise your effectiveness. Sadly thus far tracking and understanding monsters is basically finding tracks and spamming a button on them. you don't actually read or learn anything yourself. The game just becomes easier because you clicked on a track and gained XP.

- While its suppose to be fun and cool to have big lengthy boss fights with varying phases and gameplay. Monster Hunter doesn't really do that.... so far most monsters I've faced run away licking there wounds and can run a lot. then you hit them once take like 1% hp off and they run some more. Dragging the fight out into a massive game of hit and run. taking ridiculous amounts of time up for no reason.

- Controls are a bit clunky. and a lot of the weapons make combat and movement very slow.

- gets repetitive quick

- no fixed targeting/bad hit box means a lot of attack either miss or are hard to aim properly.

- some tutorials are non-existent such as how to capture monsters. Which makes whole components of the game unplayable unless you either spend ages figuring it out or use a unofficial guide.

overall a 7. it does some things really well but sadly the bad outweighs the good. This seemed like my cup of tea as a video game. As I love everything from Witcher to Final Fantasy/Dark Souls/SOTC and many games from similar genres/styles. But I've lost interest which means it wasn't good enough.
  6. Mar 19, 2018
    Firstly I need to say that I'm new to this franchise, so there is no comparisons involved in my impressions of this game.

I played this game a LOT for a couple of weeks (I'm talking hours each day) and had a lot of fun combined with a fair amount of frustration, FUN: The graphics are good - scenery is varied and beautiful and definitely adds to the enjoyment of the game, though

FUN: The graphics are good - scenery is varied and beautiful and definitely adds to the enjoyment of the game, though screenshots on my Pro show up the poor resolution. The monsters are pretty cool and well animated and in some cases spectacular. The sound/music is good enough. The variety of weapons, armour and their upgrade systems offer a lot of scope and I enjoyed the process of diving in and getting my head round them. Really enjoyed trying out different weapons and the diversity of game play style they offer. Playing co-op worked okay once I worked out the (admittedly annoying) steps required. Low tier monsters were challenging enough to be fun but manageable until the Anjanath hunt. Got my butt kicked many times (alone & co-op). Eventually an experienced MH & higher level friend helped me out and once I got some better gear I was able to progress without insurmountable difficulty, though the fun/frustration balance was steadily tipping in the wrong direction.

Arena fights make a welcome change out. I have seen other reviewers make a distinction between 'capture' quests and hunts but really they're all hunts, there's not enough difference to count them as a different activity. Side missions are 'collect things' or 'kill things' - usual fare.

Some non 'deal breaking' annoyances:
    - As a woman playing a female character I hated the ridiculous gear sets that had my character clacking around in bulky, ugly armour over stockings, suspenders and hideous high heeled shoes. Really pervy and utterly unattractive.
    - As many have said, the lack of other players visible in Astera is disappointing. Hardly anyone uses the Hub which is totally redundant.
    - Having to go through 2-3 lines of dialogue every time you interact with many of the vendors is a total yawn. In fact, the whole game feels bogged down with animations that may have been amusing the first few times (eating at the canteen springs to mind) but end up just being tedious, or in the case of sharpening your weapon, drinking potion etc in combat can get you killed when the monster decides to teleport from the other side of the area and land on you the second you start the animation,
    - not being able to see the full upgrade paths at first, especially given how much effort you have to invest in moving along a given path. I relied on the internet for this and a lot of other necessary information for this game which does detract from immersion
    - I got lost fairly often on hunts because of the verticality. The monster would suddenly relocate several times during in each hunt, which is a feature that I didn't mind except that too often the flying monsters would go to across the map, the scout flies would lose the trail and although I could see the monster on the map, getting there was like finding your way through a maze.
    - the story...what story?....it's minimal and entirely unaffecting,
    - the characters also are very minimal - I didn't care about any of them, including my own character
    - clipping through monsters, standing inside them even. Bizarre effect and not good enough for current standards

DEAL BREAKING FRUSTRATIONS (for me):
    Although I invested a fair bit of time in this game and did enjoy it up to a point, the level of grind and effort involved just wore me down in the end. I'm okay with grindy games (have played the Destiny & The Division for hundreds of hours) but the fact that each and every monster hunt is like a Big Boss fight, particularly once you're in the high tier, made it feel too much like hard work. Too often there would be one item that I needed to complete the weapon upgrade or craft the piece of armour I needed that would have something like a 1% drop rate that would require grinding that same monster for hours...& hours....& hours. The tedium of that is very much compounded by the game mechanic that you have 3 faints allowed per hunt for the whole team, so many MANY hunts would end, sometimes after 45+ minutes of huge effort, with absolutely nothing to show for it and very much stretching out the length of grind required to get that elusive drop.

I got as far as the final dragons but just ran out of steam, and interest. Fundamentally, this game is very unforgiving. I imagine that if you're playing with friends that would help tip the grind/fun balance a lot. Playing as a solo player in random teams was not so fun once it started getting really challenging.

Good game, but not a GREAT game - I can't see how it can justify all these 10's. Enjoyment is subjective, I get that, but there are some issues with this game that have to be taken into account when scoring. Grinding & difficulty level aside, it's not perfect.
  7. Aug 15, 2018
    If you're a fan of the old MH Series then this is for you and if you're completely new to the series this a great start. There is a learning curve which could take you a couple of missions at the start of the game but once you're on top of everything its actually quite an enjoyable adventure. Monster designs is exceptional and so is the character building, improvements and worldIf you're a fan of the old MH Series then this is for you and if you're completely new to the series this a great start. There is a learning curve which could take you a couple of missions at the start of the game but once you're on top of everything its actually quite an enjoyable adventure. Monster designs is exceptional and so is the character building, improvements and world exploration. The game promotes online coop play heavily which could turn away some gamers but you also have a solo campaign from start to finish you just need to configure it right. Expand
  8. Dec 5, 2018
    TL:DR version: RNG quickly kills the fun
    As a newcomer to the series, I was a bit hesitant about getting this title, since I've heard that there's a lot of grind and you just hunt the same monster all the time. I don't mind the grind it it's reasonable, so I figured I'll give it a try. Now, after 30hrs, I'm just burned out and going to other games.
    Pros: Beautiful environments, great
    TL:DR version: RNG quickly kills the fun

Pros: Beautiful environments, great character creator and interesting looking armor. Monsters that are very well animated and interact with each other (first time you see little lizards attack a big t-rex that is near death is like a scene from Jurassic Park). A somewhat entertaining story that held my interest until certain point. A huge weapon variety which accommodates any play style. A satisfying and addictive progression in the early game: kill a monster, unlock and build better weapons and armor, kill a stronger monster.

Cons: melee combat is clunky and is like trying to hit a fly with a giant hammer. I switched to ranged which at least has an indicator to tell you if you are hitting the monster from proper distance or not. the progression tree is mostly hidden, and the game gives you no indication what materials you need to progress and where to find them. I had to resort to unofficial guides A LOT.

And finally, grind, grind, grind + RNG with terrible drop rates means you will waste a loooot of time.
    This is aggravated by the fact that after a certain point in the story the game basically resets the progression which makes you suddenly feel like you achieved nothing. Yes, for some inexplicable reason the monsters that were a piece of cake suddenly get a boost in power, so the basic giant lizard can KO you in one hit in the armor that you spent so much time to obtain. Worse, the game unlock a new better armor which is just a reskin of the armor you already have. After fighting the same exact high rank t-rex 5 times (30min battle each) I still don''t have enough pieces to build his armor due to bad RNG.

Multiplayer: nonexistent. You are mostly alone, unless you invite friends. If a fight gets hard, you can fire a SOS flare, which lets other players to join your session but also makes the monster harder. However, players who join are usually such high level that the monster is dead within 5 minutes. It's basically an "instawin" button.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with the game, but now it got to the point where the game is barely giving me anything while demanding a lot of time in return. I may come back to finish the story, but I hope MHW2 does a better job and less grind.
  9. Oct 13, 2018
    This review is for the PS4 version only - I don't know how the PC version runs, but at the moment I'd recommend it in a heartbeat over this version. It spends most of the time running below 30fps, the and the visuals are washed-out and largely unimpressive. It performed so badly when I started it that I thought it was broken, and then I found out that you can't get a refund on a PS4 gameThis review is for the PS4 version only - I don't know how the PC version runs, but at the moment I'd recommend it in a heartbeat over this version. It spends most of the time running below 30fps, the and the visuals are washed-out and largely unimpressive. It performed so badly when I started it that I thought it was broken, and then I found out that you can't get a refund on a PS4 game if you've downloaded it, so that was another kick in the guts.

In terms of the game itself - like many, this is my first foray into Monster Hunter, and while I'm enjoying myself for the time being, the experience leaves a lot to be desired. The combat is clunky and lacks finesse. You can lock on to enemies, but even then you must force your character to face them before you attack - which is easier said than done, as the directional movement is imprecise and the enemies move quickly, meaning you spend a lot of time hacking whatever you can hit rather than targeting specific areas, or altogether swinging in the wrong direction. This forces a bit of skill into play, which is rewarding when you begin to master the controls, but it doesn't stop it from feeling poorly designed and very dated.

The localisation efforts are disappointing as well - the lip syncing hasn't been adapted for other languages, and so the cutscenes look absurd, like badly-dubbed Japanese movies.

There are positives though - there is a tangible feeling of growth and improvement as your personal skills improve, and your weapons and armour are upgraded to better deal with enemy attacks, so creatures that you were once terrified are cut down quicker and quicker. The environments are stunningly designed as well, it's just a shame that they look so poor in the PS4 version.

I also really think they should be advertising more as a multiplayer game. There are several core features that require you to be online to use, including taking time to prepare missions as if you're in a lobby, even when you're not playing online. So you can't just select a mission and start it straight away in single player, you've got to wait for the game to be ready even though you're not waiting for anyone in particular. The first two times I started the game, it stopped to show me ads for PSN membership, which felt obscene. If you buy it on PC, you don't have to pay again to use your internet connection, and therefore don't get locked out of half the game's features just for not being online.

In short, I'd tentatively recommend it for £20 or so on PC, but not much more, and I'd not recommend it at all on PS4. Save yourself the heartache, because the game looks like a PS3 game and plays like a PS2 game, and there's simply no excuse for that in this day and age.
  10. Jun 5, 2018
    Was a good game to start with until around 10 hours in and you find that it's just so repetitive and dull
  11. Feb 13, 2018
    After playing for a week-or-so, I can't shake the feeling of emptiness in the game as a whole. There are monsters, check. There are weapons and armor, check. There are items that fill up my inventory quicker than it has any place filling up, check. But, there are also very artificial ways to indicate and/or slow progress that distract you from the lack of interesting things to do, as wellAfter playing for a week-or-so, I can't shake the feeling of emptiness in the game as a whole. There are monsters, check. There are weapons and armor, check. There are items that fill up my inventory quicker than it has any place filling up, check. But, there are also very artificial ways to indicate and/or slow progress that distract you from the lack of interesting things to do, as well as repetitiveness, for only so long.

But, then what? The multiplayer aspects feel half-arsed, with no real feeling of playing together. Rather, your pals help you out when you're too weak to handle yourself... Okay then...

The game also gets very repetitive, very fast. I like grinding for meaningful stuff, but in MH:W, you just end up grinding ONE monster for ONE drop that allows you to make ONE weapon. I can't really put my finger on it, but it feels... meaningless. To put it in other words, you "hunt" for one specific item to make any progress and everything else that happens (other drops, other events) is utterly pointless.

Summa summarum, I have big time buyers regret. Other's, be aware.
  12. Feb 14, 2018
    Monster Hunter World is a beautiful game, (although the graphics seem a little outdated) the monsters feel and behave like actual living creatures, the settings are pretty and the music is not memorable but nice.
    The main problem this game has beside the online connectivity issues that make you try to join a quest 10 times before being actually able to join, its its gameplay. It s fun but not engaging and while playing I didn't feel invested at all. It s kinda like an arcade game where you kill things just to kill them and pass time. So yeah, if you are bored its a fun game to kill time, but if your time is limited it could be spent in other games of quality because in all honesty this game is just ok. Its a beautiful, fun but mediocre game.
    This game has a "story" which is just watching cutscenes of characters you don't give a damn and looking at beautiful monsters arriving before you ll hunt them.
    It should have had a true story/ campaign. In this game none of the characters are interesting, and nobody explains nothing or gives any context to what is happening other than "yeah that monster is bothering us , could you kill it please?"
    Why are they monsters in the first place? Who are these "fleets" 1st,2nd,etc? Why were we sailing? Where did we come from? None of these questions are answered.
    Then there is the first "boss fight" which is just a set piece of you shooting at a giant mountain and then climbing it to shoot at some rocks. Was it pretty? Yes, but boring as hell.
    I should also talk about the combat , which is quite deep and there are 14 different weapons to try which is cool but in reality you ll end up using 2 or 3 tops depending on what monsters you face.

TLDR:
    +Beatifull environments
    +Monsters feel like living creatures
    +Deep combat mechanics
    -the story mode is a joke that doesn't explain nothing
    -uninteresting characters
    -outdated graphics
    -mirriad of online connectivity issues
    -fun but uninteresting gameplay that doesn't get you involved. Like mindless arcade games.
    Score: 7/10. Fun but mediocre.
  13. Feb 2, 2018
    This is my first Monster hunter game and while I have partly enjoyed my 45 hours played so far I have also severely hated it at times. I think that this game IS good but it has some issues that make playing it extremely frustrating.

Below are some of the issues I had with the game. 1. I find there is literally no point playing this game with other people, unless its in a squad with

Below are some of the issues I had with the game.

1. I find there is literally no point playing this game with other people, unless its in a squad with real life friends, even then if your teammates are bad it just makes it harder for you to get a kill.

2. Monster vs Monster fighting is cool the first time but having to go through it every single fight just gets annoying. The number of times I'll be fighting one monster in a cave and all of a sudden this giant flying dragon, in a buggy manner starts spamming moves into this confined space and there is literally no room to move.... yeh so cool...

3. Why the hell does the map need a lock on feature, can't i just aim the damn pointer and click where I want the way point without some stupid thing locking onto whatever is closest.

4. Flying monsters change locations too often. This coupled with the fact that your scout flies will lose track of your chosen target every time you come across another small or large monster and re selecting the monster just seems to do nothing until you run away from your current foes.

5. The targeting system is actually useless, I have started playing without using it at all. The random locking on to a target through walls when you do use it is actually laughable

6. Fighting giant, flying (or even non flying) monsters in small, cramped locations with them spamming their moves over and over is simply not fun at all.

7. The weapon and armour sets/skills just seem very boring and uninspiring maybe this is due to my inexperience but I have progressed into high rank simply using bone armour and a bone charge shield.

I really just don't see this game lasting much longer than a couple weeks as a popular game on Twitch and I believe it will pretty much die out soon with only hard core fans continuing to play. I am disappointed by this as i hoped they could have made this game into something much bigger, better and long lasting. I know it doesn't follow the traditional MH formula but why couldn't they streamline the multiplayer aspect, making it easier to find people to play with and having more incentive to actually play multiplayer. Adding in DPS meters or such to promote competitiveness, having some form of ranking based on skill not just how much you've played, Much more variety in possible gear builds. In my opinion its these types systems that make games last longer and stay popular. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
  14. Feb 12, 2018
    Monster Hunter World is passable. My first Hunter game was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U. I quit after a few hours. It’s marred by poor execution. MHW shares that problem. It’s better than its predecessors, but decent visuals only exalt it so far. Gameplay is rigid. The steep learning curve turns off newbies. Co-op doesn’t function as intended. Fans will still love MHW because ofMonster Hunter World is passable. My first Hunter game was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U. I quit after a few hours. It’s marred by poor execution. MHW shares that problem. It’s better than its predecessors, but decent visuals only exalt it so far. Gameplay is rigid. The steep learning curve turns off newbies. Co-op doesn’t function as intended. Fans will still love MHW because of its many improvements.

MHW's environs are vibrant and sharp. They resembles Kingdoms of Amalur: pretty but cartoonish. The aesthetic is appropriate, but performance limitations hamper more impressive visuals. Details are skimpy. Get close enough to any surface and they appear flat and vague. MHW contains multiple visual modes that either boost framerates or graphics/resolution on the PS4 Pro. There’s noticeable differences between settings, more so than Horizon: Zero Dawn. The performance hit for selecting graphics over framerates isn’t worth it. MHW emphasizes quick reflexes, so frames always win. To activate the settings, players must pick one and reset the game—a cumbersome process that discourages frequent adjustments. Overall, performance is just OK. The long load times stand out.

The story is linear and threadbare. A positive for hunters who want to jump into action. For the rest of us, it's unimaginative and boring. Yet, the series modernized itself without tainting its formula. There’s tons of activity for players who enjoy walloping big things. They can free roam or play missions, and there’s no rush. MHW really shines in co-op. Playing with friends is a blast. However, tracking monsters is easy. Getting to objectives only takes a few moments, and the world feels smaller and smaller as time goes on. One of the biggest drawbacks to MHW is its undersized set pieces. If the fancy graphics were toned down, MHW's world could be reproduced on last gen systems. Xenoblade Chronicles X contains an equally large world on puny hardware.

There's lots of gear. The concept is simple: Hunt monsters, earn parts, use parts to craft gear. Upgrading is odd. Weapons need monster parts to upgrade. Players can pick different upgrade paths for weapons which affect their damage output. Armor requires parts to create, but only needs spheres to upgrade. Some armors look really cool, but their bonus stats are lame. Once armor is crafted only their defense rating can be improved. Unlike weapons, there’s no way to alter armor bonuses. Players must equip pieces of armor with the same bonuses so those bonuses will stack. This counterintuitive mechanic prohibits hunters from favoring whole armor sets. Crafting gear requires lots of grinding. The nonlinear gear progression penalizes players who don't carefully choose upgrade paths.

Character creation is decent. However, toons look awful ingame. Just awful. So cover those ugly mugs with helmets.

The learning curve is unnecessarily steep. Players will get lost because the opening tutorials suck and nothing is fully explained. Inventory management is a mess. The leveling system is opaque. However, players shouldn’t hesitate to experiment. A few crafting mistakes won't matter all that much as things progress.

Online functionality is broken. At launch, lobbies were full of players. Not anymore. They must manually search SOS flares to participate in co-op adventures. Considering the lengthy beta, online elements were tacked on. The base of operations only contains NPC’s. A big letdown for a co-op game. The online functionality needs an overhaul to stay viable. There’s too much competition for half-assed experiences. Questing works well enough once players team up. Lag is minimal. Unfortunately, teams are only as strong as the weakest members. Careless players will cause missions to fail. Some monster parts are difficult to farm with randoms.

Gameplay is the weakest link. Navigating terrain is awkward. Combat is stiff and imprecise. In all situations, character movement lacks fluidity. Camera angles are erratic and controlling it is a chore. The targeting feature is awful. Monster animations can be unpredictable. In coop, monster agro constantly shifts which leads to unfocused battles. Even the largest creatures will instantly spin around to land fatal blows. These nimbly acrobatic moves are ridiculously unrealistic.

Without co-op, MHW isn't as fun because it feels dated and clunky. Dark Souls delivers better combat and straightforward progression. An apt comparison since both franchises share similar focuses. Horizon Zero Dawn is a better alternative for solo players who wanna smack dinosaurs. MHW is good enough, but things don't pick up until mid/late game. Many players will quit before reaching that point.

Once players grasp its nuances, they’ll see MHW's flaws can be overlooked. However, MHW’s success indicates Japanese developers may have another great year. I'm OK with that. Western developers are obsessed with FPS shooters.
  15. Feb 4, 2018
    No video game should deserve overwhelming praise just because it may have slightly improved some aspects from any previous entries. Monster Hunter: World has got to be one of the most overrated games I've ever played. The controls are messy and the combat is slow and sticky with an apparent broken lock-on system. The story is weak with light and childish presentation accompanied byNo video game should deserve overwhelming praise just because it may have slightly improved some aspects from any previous entries. Monster Hunter: World has got to be one of the most overrated games I've ever played. The controls are messy and the combat is slow and sticky with an apparent broken lock-on system. The story is weak with light and childish presentation accompanied by horrendous lip-sync. The online matchmaking is often unreliable and the arena seems to be socially dead. Worst of all, the entire game is basically a grind with no means to an end (this could probably be said with all Monster Hunter games though).

It's just not fun for me. I tried so hard getting into it, but after 30+ hours of doing the same objectives over and over again in different missions I just wasn't enjoying it at all. I will give it props for good music, beautifully detailed environments, and the game itself to be very solidly made and nearly free of technical issues. But aside from occasionally having fun in co-op, I can't help but feel like my money was somewhat wasted by being pressured into thinking something rather repetitive and generic was worth investing time into. I would never dare call it an awful game in a public place, but it's just not for me. This is my first and last Monster Hunter.
  16. Jan 28, 2018
    I've played over 24 hours of MH World now. I see why people love it, its a charming game but it is far from perfect, All the 10's and low scores are comical

I liked most of the game except for the most crucial aspect of it, COMBAT. Games like Dragons Dogma or Dark Souls, the controls feel much better and they were made in 2011/2012, MH World controls are so clunky. If it does not bother you then fine, but any gamers out there who had issues with things like Geralt spinning all day will have similar frustrations throughout this game.

Good game overall but for me it got boring pretty quickly and developed into a grind fest.
  17. Feb 9, 2018
    I can SEE it is a good, fun, grindy game. It's just not for me - and FOR SURE not for everyone.

I got drawn in by the hype and regretted it as soon as I entered the main area - after the initial tutorial - to see that it is kinda boring, confusing, clunky, not that impressive (graphically speaking) and not that fun to play, actually. So what is the point? Going back and forth, killing animals, getting herbs, rinse repeat? Or am I missing something?

Also, I think it is EXTREMELY OBNOXIOUS to force me into creating an online session as soon as I want to load my save file. No. I want to have the option of playing this alone, don't force me into online play, Capcom.

The game is a great, grindy-fest, but after playing it for a couple of hours it's clear to me that this is a niche-game. So my advice is: do not fall into the trap of the reviews and videos saying this is the greatest game of all times. It's not. If you are not into this kind of mechanic, you will not enjoy Monster Hunter World.
  18. Sep 10, 2018
    I wanted to like this game but instead I found it profoundly average. Basic go kill it quests, repetitive gameplay, and simple builds make for a game that's just not much of a long term thing. Every big fight turns into a total beat down. Every weapon is stupidly oversized. Every melee unit feels the same. idk, it's not bad, but this is like a 20-50 hour game for me and I was hoping for aI wanted to like this game but instead I found it profoundly average. Basic go kill it quests, repetitive gameplay, and simple builds make for a game that's just not much of a long term thing. Every big fight turns into a total beat down. Every weapon is stupidly oversized. Every melee unit feels the same. idk, it's not bad, but this is like a 20-50 hour game for me and I was hoping for a lot more. Expand
  19. Jun 12, 2019
    This game had me hooked for about 90 hours (which isn't bad for any game) but eventually I found it got very boring. It's rinse and repeat. Over and over again. Kill monster,upgrade armor,ad infinitum. Probably for people who are into multi-player games. Solo campaigns will eventually get too tedious to want to continue. Still looks great though,and I did enjoy the game...until I didn't.
  20. Feb 13, 2018
    First Monster Hunter game I really played in the series, others never really took off for me. MHW is by far the most first-timer friendly game in the series. I've beaten the game now at about 70ish hour mark, haven't really been rushing though, took quite a few optional sidequests etc.

Enjoyed the pace of low rank. High rank was grindier but ok. After that the game is basically garbage. It is a combination of small things that make later gameplay a chore.

The controls are supper unresponsive, it feels like there is absolutely no input buffering whatsoever. Sometimes input gets ignored completely.

Everything is so drawn out, even outside of a fight. I mean do I really need to wait 10 seconds for that steak eating animation to play, or when drinking a potion to buff my attack?

Do I have to press X 3-5 times every time I go to pick up quest, hand in bounties, get my stuff from the botanist?

The game never bothers to tell the player that radial menu and sort order of the item bar are part of the load out, go figure why every time a loadout is selected everything gets resorted.

Story is meh, characters are forgettable and often annoying.

As a long term Dark Souls and Co. player, I have my own criteria for what makes a good boss. And one hit kills + RNG is a big no no. A player should be loosing because they consistently make mistakes, not because RNG consistently screws them over.

Big monster fights and turf wars, are very nice, but get really old really fast when they happen like every two minutes. Betelgeuse here is the worst offender.

The monster roar is used way too often. I mean can we fight already instead of being stunned half the time?

Uninspired achievements: hunt 100 of that, capture 50 of this, complete hundred quests etc.

Saw "honest review" of Monster Hunter series on youtube, although of course not a serious review, the statement at the end couldn't be more appropriate for MHW: there is a good game somewhere there it is just buried under a pile of garbage.
  21. Feb 28, 2018
    There is definately fun to be had, but I cant help feeling extremely disappointed with how much a better game this could be. My main gripe is the combat feels like I m playing guitar hero, trying to excecute my combos while the monster is just doing its own thing. You never feel like you are actually hitting the creature, moreover the games collosion detection is just the worst I ve everThere is definately fun to be had, but I cant help feeling extremely disappointed with how much a better game this could be. My main gripe is the combat feels like I m playing guitar hero, trying to excecute my combos while the monster is just doing its own thing. You never feel like you are actually hitting the creature, moreover the games collosion detection is just the worst I ve ever seen, my cape clips thorugh my own fking shield for gods sake, I can pass trough ppl, objects, monsters, rocks etc, its just horrible and absolutely unacceptable. The map design is great on the other hand, there is a lot to do with the enviroment, and there are also loads of sidecontent if you like collecting **** Gear progression is boring as well, hunting monsters and making gear from their bodyparts sounds like hell of a fun, but progression consists of flat stat bonuses and visuals, it always plays the same. Overall ,this is a great concept done poorly. Expand
  22. Jan 27, 2018
    I want to provide an honest and balanced review from the perspective of someone who ultimately returned this game. It's not bad by any means. It's well-designed, and the combat is addictive, but in the end, I found that I would have little time for it with the bevy of other games at my disposal.

If you already like monster hunter, you'll like this game. I went out on a limb and tried it even though I've never played monster hunter before, because my game store near my house has a 7 day return policy.
  23. Jan 27, 2018
    Gameplay 9 - Visual aesthetics 9.5 - Sound 8.5 - User Interface and party system - 3

The game is fantastic gameplay, visually, and sound wise. However, the EI and party system is so unbelievably bad its difficult for the human mind to even comprehend how poorly it was implemented. It is so convoluted and questionably done that I dread trying to group up with friends.
  24. Feb 3, 2018
    The game is enjoyable eventually but the barrier to entry actually feels more like a brick wall compared to previous entries in the series. Even with the streamlining the depth of the environments can create some frustration for players, new and old alike. You'll constantly find yourself running out of time on a hunt when you're on the cusp of victory because the monster you were afterThe game is enjoyable eventually but the barrier to entry actually feels more like a brick wall compared to previous entries in the series. Even with the streamlining the depth of the environments can create some frustration for players, new and old alike. You'll constantly find yourself running out of time on a hunt when you're on the cusp of victory because the monster you were after bypassed a bunch of terrains to get away from you and you have no idea which one of the 8 branching paths through tunnels, rivers, and vines gets to them the fastest. These things will eventually be learned however at that point if feels more like muscle memory and less like an accomplishment. It has the same 'souls-borne' movement style the series originated. and sometimes it feels frustrating and overdone. For example; a character walking slowly and taking 5 times longer than the average human to drink a potion from a vial while a dragon charges you or lights you on fire.

It's still a good game but you shouldn't have to push through a barrier of frustration to get to that part.

In the future, I'd like to see them get rid of the timer. Just let people hunt and reward them for improving their time. I feel like Monster Hunter Online is a more enjoyable experience (provided you can read Chinese)
  25. Jan 26, 2018
    All the reviews on here are only talking about graphics but what about gameplay. After playing the game here is what I thought. The graphics are amazing, but the fighting mechanics remind me of a computer game. when you hit a monster with your weapon it dosent give you the feel of slicing into them, like other games. I also feel that the combos are pretty basic and not that much thoughtAll the reviews on here are only talking about graphics but what about gameplay. After playing the game here is what I thought. The graphics are amazing, but the fighting mechanics remind me of a computer game. when you hit a monster with your weapon it dosent give you the feel of slicing into them, like other games. I also feel that the combos are pretty basic and not that much thought was put into it. Last thing that really bother me is the fact that you have to push a button to unsheathe your weapon and once it is out and you deciede to run it gets put away. Id prefer for your weapon to just auto come out when you start fighting. Overall I expected alot more action, I expected for monsters to be attacking me through out the forest but most of the time thats not the case. I would rate this game a 7 at most. But now adays if the graphics are amazon games automatically get a high rating. And gameplay is often overlooked like in the case of this game. Expand
  26. Feb 27, 2018
    This is one of those games where you either love it or hate it.
    I'd recommended anyone who is planning on purchasing it to see if they can't try it somewhere before laying down the cash.

I've given the game a generous 5 due to technical issues, even when you select the preset "prefer framerate" the fps goes down the **** often, on numerous occasions it was sub 30fps.
  27. Feb 25, 2018
    A very good game, but it's not the best of series. Multiplayer administration is muddler and it was better in the past, i hope capcom change it. In general i expected better from technical production because on 3ds is normal but on a ps4 pro or xbox one x i don't want watch the weapons in the ground or that i can go throught the monsters. It a good game but it could be definitely better
  28. Jan 27, 2018
    This game isn’t awful. There is a steep learning curve for new players. Graphics are phenomenal as is character creation and the amount of customization in this game. Rich deep world to explore. My problem lies with HDR settings for consoles. It makes the game too bright and actually washes some color from the game. It’s pretty strange. Especially if you’re playing on a 4K TV. Should beThis game isn’t awful. There is a steep learning curve for new players. Graphics are phenomenal as is character creation and the amount of customization in this game. Rich deep world to explore. My problem lies with HDR settings for consoles. It makes the game too bright and actually washes some color from the game. It’s pretty strange. Especially if you’re playing on a 4K TV. Should be opposite really...

Buy the game if you love monster hunter...avoid the game if you’re new and have trouble with games with steep learning curves.
  29. Jan 30, 2018
    As a 14 years franchise fan, It is very hard for me to evaluate this game. On one side I couldn't be more happy of having back the chance to play MH on my home console with better multiplayer functions and graphics. On the other hand I coldn't help but being frustrated by comparing this game to all the others recent entries in the series. All things considered I gave it a 7 out of 10. MHWAs a 14 years franchise fan, It is very hard for me to evaluate this game. On one side I couldn't be more happy of having back the chance to play MH on my home console with better multiplayer functions and graphics. On the other hand I coldn't help but being frustrated by comparing this game to all the others recent entries in the series. All things considered I gave it a 7 out of 10. MHW is infact a good, and very well crafted game; sadly it s flowed by some severe issues that could easly make it look like the worst entry in the franchise for someone. This is true expecially for old MH veterans, that surely have very different expectations than newcomers, or any other player wich is less awere of this game's heritage.

What follows is my personal review, divided by different categories.

GRAPHICS -meh-
    MHW Graphics don't shine mostly becouse low-definition textures, and clipping problem that afects armors, weapons and monsters all togheter. All things considered, I would have reasonably expected this part of the game to be a little better then it actually is. Same goes for Frame rate wich is sadly very far from stability and even farther from the 60 FPS threshold. I personally think that the game would have grealty benefited from having a 30 FPS cap, instead of having framest fluctuating constantly between 50 and 25, making all feel sluggish sometimes.
    On the bright side, the PS4 pro comes with 3 diferent settings that let the player chose the way they prefer to experience the game ( one of these prioritizes frame rate, another does the same for resolution, and the third one is a mixture between the two). The game is also provided with full HDR support, and benefits of a very good art direction which makes it pleasent to the eye at first glence.

SOUND -good-
    The soundrak is on par with the older instalments of the series, many of the themes are still there in all their glory, many others have been rivisited without bein worse. Just one thing I noticed aobut the audio in genral is that it has been settet to be very low for some reason. I found my self forced to se the TV audio higher than I usually do with other games and with TV in general, just to be able to fully apreciate the beuty of the soundrtack, why this happens is a mistery to me, if it is a gamedesign choice than I can say it is a very bad one, but I realize that this is not the only factor in paly here.

STORY -meh-
    And here we come to the sore notes. For some reason, probably the one to appeal to a much broader audience, Capcom decided to focus more on the many story. For the old fans like I am, this reminded me a lot of MH4 that did the same, but in a way better way. This game has some quests that are sotry only and presents themselves avulse of the game very gameplay. You find yourself to run arround without bein able to attack or just for the sake of hearing people talking. This missions are not completely bad per-se, they are just boring most of the times and the purpose they serve would have been served much better by some dialogs or short cutscenes between real missions.

GAMEPLAY -super good-
    By far the best part of the game. Combact system is better then it ever was, all wepon types recived some rework to make them even better. Almost all the semplifications like the monster guide, weapons tutorial and weapon trees available at the forge make the game feel younger the ever. Also the things you can interact with in the maps environments make a big deal into making the world of MH feel alive. I won't deny that all of these are big semplifications, but I more then welcome them if they are done with the palyer's quality of life in mind.

CONTENT -terribly bad-
    MHW sadly suffers, if compared with ALL the other entryes in the series, of a severe case of lack of content. The situation is best explained with a confrontation between this game and MH4U (3DS).
    - Number of locations: 6 (MHW)/ 19 (MH4U)
    - Number of large monsters to hunt: 31 (MHW)/ 74 (MH4U)
    I'm not reporting the number of quests since the data for MHW is not yet available on monserhunter.wika.com, wich is the source of these informations.
    However you should consider that:
    - MHW has NO class G missions
    - MHW has NO guild missions
    Moreover the absence of the guild makes it so that, by a precise game design choice, most of the game content is made available to the player only after finishing certain parts of the main quest. Which is not bad per-se, but contributes to create a sense of lack of content and bore for the veterans wich will find the game very easy and slow in it's first pahses, being deprived of the extra freedom and difficulty that guild missions provided in previous games.
    The only hope I have is that in the future DLCs and add-on missions will be added to the point that this lack is goin to be at least parcially cured. But it feels sad that content I was used to get for free from previous titles I will have to pay extra now.
  30. Jan 26, 2018
    The low score is due to the fact that you literally have to disconnect your PS4 from the internet to play singleplayer, otherwise you will be forced to either join or create a multiplayer session, it wont let you play offline.
  31. Feb 9, 2018
    I write thiscshortvreview for those of you still thinking about buying this game. I really wanted to like MHW. I am a newcomer to this franchise and sadlyill probably not buy any more after this. The game has some very nice elements, I like the concept of hunting. Also the crafting part is nice and deep. But, the controls are horrible, wobbly and inaccurate. Combat feels more like fightingI write thiscshortvreview for those of you still thinking about buying this game. I really wanted to like MHW. I am a newcomer to this franchise and sadlyill probably not buy any more after this. The game has some very nice elements, I like the concept of hunting. Also the crafting part is nice and deep. But, the controls are horrible, wobbly and inaccurate. Combat feels more like fighting the controls than fighting beasts. Add to that the fact that every monster so far in the game (24hours played) has had the same shout-stagger, same retreat behaviour (reeeeaaally annoying to chase every monster for 20-30minutes), and a very basic attack pattern. To sum it up, very repetitive gameplay with bad controls. I'm sad, liked the idea.... Expand
  32. Feb 4, 2018
    A good game once you get past the very long, very steep and sometimes not a fun learning curve. The game has a lot of potentials. There are a deep crafting and gathering system various fighting styles and a decent amount of content. My issues come from having so many mechanics left unexplained that you will get punished for not knowing. There is a lot of stuff you will have to go to theA good game once you get past the very long, very steep and sometimes not a fun learning curve. The game has a lot of potentials. There are a deep crafting and gathering system various fighting styles and a decent amount of content. My issues come from having so many mechanics left unexplained that you will get punished for not knowing. There is a lot of stuff you will have to go to the wiki or youtube for to even stand a chance if you are not a series vet. Trial and error isn't a bad system if the length of trials wasn't anywhere form 30min -2hrs to walk away with nothing. The pacing of fights is interrupted by monsters running away at random or monster flying away to the other side of the map.
    There are also a lot of smaller issues that don't make sense. Some actions will cause you to carefully put away your weapons in a fight. Some animations are overly long and you are locked into animations for a few moment after they end, making some combat and item use very clunky and some items take longer than others with no indication on what items will take longer Setting a trap is faster than drinking a potion. Single player doesn't feel balanced when monsters can chain stun and leap over or sometimes glitch through impassable terrain and are very much HP sponges until you have weapons beyond that monster's level, even when matching up against elemental weaknesses. Multiplayer is where the game shines. Having multiple hunters makes the fights go by at much more reasonable pace and adds a sense of excitement, but the multiplayer set up is not the best.
    Once you start to get past the quirks and get some outside help the game can be very fun, until something brings it back down again.
  33. Jan 27, 2018
    How Difficult Is It?
    - It is easy when you are ready to repeat a mindless job.

How Long to Beat?
    - 14 Hours (Main Story)

How Much Is It Worth?
    - $34
  34. Feb 2, 2018
    I thought it would be fun to play this game since some friends made the leap along with me, but it did not seem to have much structure and I spent most of my time wandering aimlessly trying to find footprints. If you have hours to burn and nowhere to be, this game is for you. If you'd like to save the money and would like the same experience, turn on any game, search for collectibles,I thought it would be fun to play this game since some friends made the leap along with me, but it did not seem to have much structure and I spent most of my time wandering aimlessly trying to find footprints. If you have hours to burn and nowhere to be, this game is for you. If you'd like to save the money and would like the same experience, turn on any game, search for collectibles, and fight some bosses. Expand
  35. Mar 6, 2018
    Было бы здорово, если эта игра была очередной бесплатной ММО. Увы, это масштабный ААА проект за полную стоимость. Кривая боевка, отвратительный сюжет, тонны, даже гекатонны гринда: собери 5 цветков, найди 3 камня и прочее в том же духе. Битвы с динозаврами - натуральная боль. Да, они весьма разнообразные. Но как же все топорово и нудно сделано!
    Два балла за котиков, два балла за кроссовер
    Два балла за котиков, два балла за кроссовер с Элой, один балл за редактор персонажей с возможностью слепить Геральта или лысого из Браззерс. Итого 5.
  36. Jan 30, 2018
    Fighting the dinos in this game feels pretty unsatisfying compared to Horizon Zero Dawn, and the menus are needlessly complicated
  37. Apr 7, 2018
    I tried so, so hard to like this game. It may have had something to do with spontaneously dropping £55 buying it from the PS store because the reviews were just universally glowing. It may have been because I do believe there is potential here for a really gripping game but it just falls short in my opinion. I've put maybe 30 hours into this game and sadly I came away unimpressed.

The

The good first; its a beautiful game to look at. The worlds are sprawling, dense and lively. It really does feel like it's own little ecosystem and there is so much to see and discover. Every zone is just as good as the last and it is clear they put effort into building a game world. Graphically it is stunning. From the hub world to the monsters it really does look very, very good.

The monsters are designed wonderfully and are quite diverse. There are a whole host of dragons, rock monsters, sea creatures and they all live together in the zones independent of one another. This leads to some jaw dropping moments when you might be hunting one monster only to find you both stumble across the path of another. A huge battle between two giants then occurs and it gets quite thrilling at times.

Special mention is required also for the sound design, the soundtrack is fitting and well done and it scores these battles with these fearsome creatures all too well.

Unfortunately the rest of it fell flat for me and my biggest disappointment and the biggest thing hindering this from being a truly great game is the combat system. No matter which weapon I tinkered with I never felt truly engaged with the combat, it feels clunky. Your lock on will disappear at random. You have to un-sheath your weapon at the most inopportune moments. Everything just seems to take that half second too long to feel engaging. I read a review that claimed this was "Dark Souls meets Jurassic Park" and that was my "shut up and take my money" moment but the combat system is way short of those games and frankly quite a few others as well. This was a crying shame to me because you are presented with this lush world with interesting things to hunt but the hunting itself is unresponsive and quite dull. It really amounts to, if not quite a button bash a very repetitive exercise.

Which leads me to my other issue, the monsters as wonderful as they look never really get much beyond mildly difficult. If you've played Souls games then it'll seem like childs play. Any serious attack they mount is usually telegraphed to high heaven which is handy because the evasion side of the combat system has the same struggles as the attacking side of things. More irritatingly the battles can take an age. I have no issue with that, it adds to the epicness and so on but the length is usually attributed to the fact the monster runs off after you've hit it for enough damage, then you chase it, attack it some more and the cycle repeats until finally it dies. There is a sense of elation when finishing a battle which is quite good but often its more of a "thank god thats over" than "that was awesome!". There are ways to stop them running but like most things in the game it isn't made very clear or obvious.

For all the talk you'll have read of this being the most accessible game in the series yet I can only wonder how obscure the previous games were. There are some middling tutorials but there are swathes of the game that are inadequately explained or not explained at all. I'm all for a game not holding your hand but you shouldn't need to be playing alongside a wiki guide to get the most from it.

The voice acting is awful. Even for a JRPG it is corny, stilted and gave me absolutely zero interaction or relationship with the characters who might as well not be there. The plot is non-existent. You're on a ship, you're a monster hunter, a monster wrecks your ship, here's the hub world, there are lots of monsters out there. Kill them all. For reasons. Honestly sometimes you just feel like an A-hole chasing down these magnificent looking creatures. Quite a few are actually quite docile before the idiot in the weird armor starts bonking them on the head. I get that the plot isn't necessarily what this game is about but really some effort should be put forth to give us a reason to go out and hunt these things. The missions are nearly all related to going out and hunting and the reasons never get much past "they're in our way".

Thus the game basically becomes "hunt this monster to get materials to make this loot" and it doesn't try to hide it either. That is really the whole premise. I'd be down for that, so down for that if the combat were better and you gave me even a hint of purpose for doing so. They have this huge world but without a story it feels pointless, empty. It's a grind with the carrot at the end of the stick constantly regenerating

I wanted to like this but to a new player of the series its just an average game that could have been so much more
  38. Jun 27, 2018
    The problem I have with this game is that the mechanics have expanded through the years, but they have not evolved to keep with the times. Allow me a comparison to demonstrate my point. I think Horizon Zero Dawn is what MHW wishes it could be. HZD makes hunting, crafting and traversing the wilderness a real pleasure, whilst MH turns it into a repetitive chore. Getting the materials youThe problem I have with this game is that the mechanics have expanded through the years, but they have not evolved to keep with the times. Allow me a comparison to demonstrate my point. I think Horizon Zero Dawn is what MHW wishes it could be. HZD makes hunting, crafting and traversing the wilderness a real pleasure, whilst MH turns it into a repetitive chore. Getting the materials you need to upgrade your weapons is far too cumbersome and monotonous.

Monsters take far too long to go down, and having them run away to lick their wounds is a nice touch of realism, but it makes for a drawn-out feeling whilst playing the game.

The combat mechanics are also dated and slow. The MH community try to excuse this by saying the game has a steep learning curve and is catered to hardcore players, but I think that's rubbish. The game is simply far too robotic and uses dated mechanics.

Graphics are pretty good, but I don't care much in that regard.

I don't mind grinding in an RPG, provided it's an enjoyable grind. A lot of this is not enjoyable. Quite often I'm not filled with the excitement that should come with the prospect of taking on the same monster again.

The layout of menus also take a lot of getting used to, and I think they could have been executed in a much neater and concise manner.

My biggest gripe with this game is that it's clearly aimed at multiplayer, and many quests seem to have been designed under the assumption that multiple characters would be working together. People are lauding this game for not having microtransactions, but to play multiplayer I'm told I need PS+, which involves a monthly subscription on top of the £40 I paid for this game. That is simply not good enough, and microtransactions should not be in a game anyway, so we should not be thanking developers for leaving them out when they shouldn't be in the game in the first place.

I'm going to play the game as much as I can, but I feel my patience is being tested and it may be on the shelf of my nearest CeX soon. If you have never played Monster Hunter OR Horizon Zero Dawn, get the latter instead. Even you are desperate for an RPG experience, there are plenty of other RPGs at a much cheaper price. Get this when the price is £20 or below.
  39. Feb 19, 2019
    This game wasn't for me, and maybe it won't be the game for you too. Do you like cool story, cool npcs and this kind of experience of singleplayer games? MHW doesn't have one. I think the main focus of the game is the multiplayer hunts and even then it has no story and no cool characters. Just some cool dudes smashing a monster. This is the game.

Pro: Really cool map, feels like an open

Pro: Really cool map, feels like an open world and the monsters have they own ecology, there are predators and prey, it's nice to watch how they interact with each other, turf wars and etc.

Bad: You will expend all of your time just grindind monster to get armor and weapons, like beating the same monster for 5 or 6 times in battles of 10- 20 minutes. And then when you grind you beat the next strong monster and star all over again, nothing really happens in the world, in the story.

If you like grinding games that looks like a MMORPG you will like this, if you're expecting a singleplayer experience... well, maybe God Eater will do good for you.
  40. Aug 30, 2019
    + Great graphics that make exploration fun.
    + collecting materials is oddly really fun.
    + There is lots of different distinctive armor to acquire and you can see it on your character. + Arena fights are more fun as they don't run off and you can fight multiple monsters at once. - A lot of the weapon types are horrible or boring to use, like with some been ultra sluggish. - Most
    + Great graphics that make exploration fun.
    + collecting materials is oddly really fun.
    - Most monsters fight patterns are basic and they take forever to kill and annoyingly run off.
    - The game is ultra tedious.
    - Not much in the way of a story.
    - The online component involves a lot of waiting.
    - No pause button when playing alone.
    - Level design gets worse as you progress.
    - Button layout seems to have been chosen at random.
  41. Feb 4, 2019
    This game is so much overrated! Where do I start. I really tried to like this game but after 4 hours of no plot, looking for dinosaures, then fight them, then, they leave to heal themselves, then fight them again, so much work... I gave up. Graphics could be much better. And oh! No soundtrack while exploring. I can't understand people who rate this game with more than a 7. Really, I can't.This game is so much overrated! Where do I start. I really tried to like this game but after 4 hours of no plot, looking for dinosaures, then fight them, then, they leave to heal themselves, then fight them again, so much work... I gave up. Graphics could be much better. And oh! No soundtrack while exploring. I can't understand people who rate this game with more than a 7. Really, I can't. I was about to buy this game. Lucky me I just borrowed. I wouldn't recommend this game at all. Try Inquisition or Witcher instead. They're much better. Expand
  42. Apr 24, 2018
    I know I'm in the minority here but I honestly did not enjoy Monster Hunter. I have several friends who absolutely love the game so I'm not going to sit here and say it was a bad game. It is however an acquired taste. The monsters are gorgeous and there is plenty of gear to keep you grinding for hundreds of hours. That in itself is part of the reason I don't care for the game. It'sI know I'm in the minority here but I honestly did not enjoy Monster Hunter. I have several friends who absolutely love the game so I'm not going to sit here and say it was a bad game. It is however an acquired taste. The monsters are gorgeous and there is plenty of gear to keep you grinding for hundreds of hours. That in itself is part of the reason I don't care for the game. It's too much of a grind fighting the same creatures over and over. If there was a solid story or a variety of quests I would enjoy it much more. As it stands it just doesn't offer enough for me to continue playing. Expand
  43. May 24, 2018
    Overall, Monster Hunter: World is a decent game. Visually, the game is gorgeous. The monsters are huge, the weapons are clunky, and the armor is slick. Unfortunately, once the game has been completed, there is little to nothing keeping the player playing. After beating the game, reaching the higher HR's in the game, gear becomes simply numbers and you're practically forced to use certainOverall, Monster Hunter: World is a decent game. Visually, the game is gorgeous. The monsters are huge, the weapons are clunky, and the armor is slick. Unfortunately, once the game has been completed, there is little to nothing keeping the player playing. After beating the game, reaching the higher HR's in the game, gear becomes simply numbers and you're practically forced to use certain armor pieces. Loot is completely random, which is fine until you face the same boss 40 times trying to get a single, uncraftable item you need to complete your weapon's upgrade tree. Each weapon upgrade is meaningless unless you're at the highest rank. I do recommend you try the game if you're into grind fests. Expand
  44. May 17, 2018
    Poorly done, outdated combat and AI, **** story, not that interesting, its raging because the game is so dumb made, but addictive and looks good and this game is for specific people. The good side about this game is that it welcomes new comers with open arms and the environment and all of the open world feels natural just like a living place, unfortunately it just feels like that at thePoorly done, outdated combat and AI, **** story, not that interesting, its raging because the game is so dumb made, but addictive and looks good and this game is for specific people. The good side about this game is that it welcomes new comers with open arms and the environment and all of the open world feels natural just like a living place, unfortunately it just feels like that at the very beginning and then you realize how poorly made this game is. Sometimes i just dont get JRPG's they put a ton of mechanics outdated graphics and in some JRPG's the story is bad(like this game for example)(and lets not talk about the lip synce and the bad cut scenes) . But were here for the multiplayer are we ?.. right? well here comes the fun part, if you have friends this game for multiplayer is better than destiny 2, you have a ton to do and you can even invite other people to play with you via SOS flare or just joining other peoples quests. Overall this game is a 7 because of the poor design and outdated gameplay that mad me uninstall it i wish i could get a refund via PSN because its not worth my money and time the most awful part are the tutorials there are a ton and its like reading history books and it just makes the game boring AF !!!! and a ton of recycled elements in it. Destiny 2 is way fun than this outdated **** ! how could people give it a 9 ?????? Wait for a sale and price drop ! Expand
  45. May 11, 2018
    MHW is what you get when capcom tries desperately to increase the success of an already successful franchise. A lot of people don't realize that half the fun was the utter frustration the earlier games had. It wasn't instant gratification, you worked for it with your blood, sweat, and tears.
    Streamlining is what a businessman says when he means "we made it a lot easier to appeal to the casual market." MHW barely added anything that genuinely helped the formula, and removed FAR MORE than it gave and it's easily the worst installment to date, even maybe beating out the MMO.
    I do like that they added the drops, drop rates and damage stats in game but it's not worth the casualized hunting and tracking mechanics. Not to mention they've basically buffed most weapons to the point that it genuinely doesn't matter if you're good with them or not. They sped up the combat significantly and now it feels less like you're wielding a giant 100 pound sword and more like you're swinging your big anime stick. the only outright positive thing I can say about the combat additions is the new mounting mechanic but even then it's made even MORE overpowered. If that wasn't bad enough they gave the glaive an infinite air combo making mounting even easier.
    The new inventory changes are all pointless and the only thing about the new item systems I like are the item wheels and the quick crafting. The new crafting recipes are worse. They now allow you to walk while using items as well though they did try to balance it but its still not very MH. 90% of the monsters don't attack on sight unless previously provoked. no monster requires preparation anymore I'm kinda glad they didn't include g rank just because of how terribly they've balanced low and high rank. Gathering spots are everywhere and automatically refill, you could easily go out on a hunt with literally nothing in your inventory and come back with a successful mission and a full inventory of mega potions and whatever else you need, you know those things older games made you work for? There's no punishment. There's just no risk. There's just no fun.
    Then there's the story. Voice acting was something MH was best off taking the minimalist approach, now they have full UNSKIPPABLE cutscenes. It was bad enough in past MH games where they had the obligatory excuse plot but you could still button mash through the story bits. Now you cant.
    The slingshot was an okay addition but its implementation just feels hand holdy. You don't need to craft any ammo for it outside of dung and screamers, the monsters drop ammo that they're weak to, which is dumb. then there's the open world concept which could have been great but its implementation was just awful. The first map feels needlessly big. You could easily split it up into two and nothing would be lost. The sand area is fine but it feels half used. All the monsters stick to the same areas. However they ruin all the areas with multiple start camps and quick travel making the random spawn on HR quests a minor inconvenience at worst. I can think of so many ways to make both these mechanics leagues better and fit into the MH style of game without caving into the casual AAA way of doing it. Then there's the way equipment works now which is just garbage. No gunner armor. Skills being instantly granted by **** armor pieces and not through the efforts of minmaxing. It feels like someone who never played MH before came in and **** that his +1 attack gem didn't actually give a +1 to attack without understanding how the skill mechanics worked at all. The cloaks? Utterly useless.
    MHW just feels like MH for people who don't like MH. It used to be fun, clunkiness was something that fans loved, but now it's all flash and "woah" and instant gratification and it's really just **** boring now good thing the game's content is **** abysmal because I got bored of it so fast. And all the paid DLC doesn't really give me hope for the future content updates.
    I really don't mind other consoles getting it, especially if it one day means cross platform and cross region play, but if MHW is how it's going to be then I wish it died with XX. which was also incredibly easy but it at least retained the spirit of MH. There's more but I'm low on characters here.

Here's what MHW did good: Monster info in game, expeditions, Item and equipment, crafting conveniences, and The item wheel

Everything else was either a huge dump on the series or a pointless change. I pray portable 5th returns the series to its roots because MHW is just a mediocre joyless game. If I wasn't such a huge fan of the series I'd probably rate it 5 or 6/10 but I feel it deserves lower than that. I can't even recommend it to casuals as a jumping off point into the series because barely any of the mechanics translate well, I can at least recommend generations and XX still. But if they want to move onto the better installments like FU, 3G, P3rd, or 4U/G then they're going to have a bad time.
  46. May 11, 2018
    This game has a good concept but extremely poor execution. A huge amount of the innate systems are not necessarily presented to the player. Even if you find them It tries to hide the very poor story/llevel progression0n behind cheat mechacnics. For example in the main storyline you must fight a beast that can take out all you helath even with max armoer/bonuses in a fewThis game has a good concept but extremely poor execution. A huge amount of the innate systems are not necessarily presented to the player. Even if you find them It tries to hide the very poor story/llevel progression0n behind cheat mechacnics. For example in the main storyline you must fight a beast that can take out all you helath even with max armoer/bonuses in a few hits...............oh wait, by the way the entire area is coveedr in poison which cuts your health in half, and btw even if you went back and hunted multiple preovious creatures to get the best defense and best possible elemental weapon that's its supposedly week to, you still get destroyed. Even though ites 4 times as big as you itm oves 3 times as fast, on top or the poison that you aren't allowed to conteract..;.ven though you have the matires, you just aren't allowed to cunsrut anything to stop the nonsense. Seriouslly "into the bowels of the vale' is the most poorly designed, crap, cheat "level' , I've in recent history in a game that people think is ood.

Forget about anything that a modern game has had for the last 15 years like auto -lock on target, you will miss constantly because the games controlse are irresponseive and hard to conttorl, and you cant correct an inch once youre started to swing.

Its not that its mimic realism, its simi;y puttiing tin absurdly unrealistic controls that aren't fair to create a "challenge". Unfrotunately this game puts in quests where skill and preparation don't matter. In some case that matters, but a lot of the time You either get lucky, another larger creature jumps in with an unresitalbe stun and then the first creature kills you befoe you do anyting. Assuming that ther fist creature doesnt' choose to simply spam its multiple roar/stun attacks, that leave you totally vulerable. Which, BTW it can do as often it wants to. tWorst of all EVERYTHING in the gam is subject to arbitrary time limits. This is total crap and stupid given that evven with a few levels o.f research you can spend all of the time limit even finding the trail of the creature your hunting.
    There are a bunch of easy changes to actually make the game something resembiling fair iinstead or arbitrarily forcing players to get lucky to advance the story or post game progress.
  47. Nov 30, 2018
    This game could 've been better if they remove the psn system like isn't it a bit too much? It would be even more fun if they remove so people can actually play with their friends without renewing this I mean come on the game is already expensive enough and it's a nice game and it has nice graphics but it's so lonely to play without friends cause of this psn system
  48. Feb 11, 2019
    Now I've been playing this game more lately as overall it isn't a bad game it's just... full of inconveniences... it's overall combat isn't bad but I have my gripes with it such as it's lock-on system and some weapons feel pretty clunky but overtime you'll get use to it and you'll be dying to "grind" for the latest gear because this game is always getting update with a new event and quiteNow I've been playing this game more lately as overall it isn't a bad game it's just... full of inconveniences... it's overall combat isn't bad but I have my gripes with it such as it's lock-on system and some weapons feel pretty clunky but overtime you'll get use to it and you'll be dying to "grind" for the latest gear because this game is always getting update with a new event and quite recently the Witcher 3 colab has just went live which isn't a bad time to get into this game.

It looks good it feels decent but what about the story? It's there but it's not good... I won't lie to you the story is VERY WEAK and a lot of the characters lack personality but thankfully it doesn't hold the game back because at its core this game lives up to it's name "monster hunter" it's a game where you hunt giant monsters and if you can get on that good on you! Now I rate this game a 6 out of 10 to a high ball 7 and don't let that scare you away the game is good but most importantly it's a COMPLETE game and is well worth the entry price!
  49. Aug 31, 2019
    where is monster hunter 5, this game is not monster hunter, its a game made for people who doesn't like mh, graphics doesn't matter, what matters is the gameplay, i mean, hard gameplay, not this **** cinematic "game"

1. Jun 21, 2018
    Honestly, if the Low and High Rank portions wasn’t as polished and an incredible experience to go through. This score would be 7/8 margin just because compared to previous games, the rotating event quests, RNG investigations for RNG loot, reduced weapon and quest pool, and less challenging solo player end game. But, with the incredibly constructed world, incredible combat experience, and cohesive experience, the downpoints are more just demands for more content.
  2. May 21, 2018
    I won't rehash the problems I had with World simply because they make me profoundly sad. I wanted to like the game, I hoped the new direction would bring the series to a new level, but instead, the whole thing blew up in my face like a Marshmallow Peep left in the microwave too long.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 24, 2018
    Moving to real consoles has paid off for Monster Hunter. The fifth installment is bigger, nicer and funnier (a bit). In addition, a number of free addons will extend the entertainment for another dozens of hours. [Issue#283]