7.3

1. Jan 20, 2018
    This is great stuff! Fans of the original Mutant League Football (Sega Genesis) or the NFL Blitz series will LOVE this game. This isn't Madden NFL ... this is exciting and fun arcade Football. Its gory, its vulgar and extremely funny! Ref pissing you off? Kill him! Mad that you got tackled? Kill the tackler :) Oh and there are some subtle nuances that you discover as you play thatThis is great stuff! Fans of the original Mutant League Football (Sega Genesis) or the NFL Blitz series will LOVE this game. This isn't Madden NFL ... this is exciting and fun arcade Football. Its gory, its vulgar and extremely funny! Ref pissing you off? Kill him! Mad that you got tackled? Kill the tackler :) Oh and there are some subtle nuances that you discover as you play that make it all worth while. Go buy it :) Expand
  2. Feb 7, 2019
    The best Football game on the market right now.

It doesn't have MTXs and lootboxes, but it has: Blood - check; Post-play mayhem - check; Dirty Tricks - check; Funny commentaries and parody names - check; Multiple teams and arenas - check; Satisfying football mechanics - check. It's an arcade sport game, not a sport simulator or sport manager, easy to pick up and enjoy football
    The best Football game on the market right now.

It doesn't have MTXs and lootboxes, but it has:
    Blood - check;
    Post-play mayhem - check;
    Dirty Tricks - check;
    Funny commentaries and parody names - check;
    Multiple teams and arenas - check;
    Satisfying football mechanics - check.

It's an arcade sport game, not a sport simulator or sport manager, easy to pick up and enjoy football mayhem on the field!
    Under $20 for base game and only $30 for Dynasty Edition are best deals on the market.
  3. Feb 7, 2019
    Super fun game. Finally an easy to play football game. Lots of action with plenty of depth. Love it!
  4. Feb 7, 2019
    Love this game, had so much fun playing it.

it's like Madden on chainsaws!!!!!!
  5. Feb 7, 2019
    I was not a fan of American football, but after playing this game, I got a slightly different vision of sports simulators, that it can be very fun and interesting, especially when you play with friends and when you understand the rules of American football!
  6. Feb 7, 2019
    Extremely fun and a great value too. Lots of depth and the game has great humor.
  7. Feb 7, 2019
    How can you not want to be an ambassador for this fun carnage filled game.

Love everything about it!!!!
  8. Feb 7, 2019
    I will admit that this game had some serious balancing issues when it was first released, I can now say those have been addressed and the game plays great! The graphics are fun and the controls are very responsive. Things I especially like about it are the simplified playbooks and almost turn-based-strategy mini game that happens within the game when trying to pick when to use your dirtyI will admit that this game had some serious balancing issues when it was first released, I can now say those have been addressed and the game plays great! The graphics are fun and the controls are very responsive. Things I especially like about it are the simplified playbooks and almost turn-based-strategy mini game that happens within the game when trying to pick when to use your dirty tricks and bribery of the ref. Even if you never played the old Genesis version nor even like Madden, do yourself a favor and at least try this title. This was made by people who remember that games should be fun first and everything else next. Expand
  9. Jan 26, 2018
    Gotta say I am impressed. When I saw they were remaking my favorite Genesis sports franchise, I figured there would be a pay wall, or not enough time spent on the little things that made Mutant League Football/Hockey unique. Boy was I wrong.

Everything from the kills, to the hilariously punny (although sometimes trite) names for players and the interesting mix of strategy/traditional sports/insanity that made the original so fantastic is present in the modern installment.

The object in MFL remains the same, score points while avoiding pitfalls, giant worms and landmines (among other things) and using a variety of dirty tricks to bolster your play. Every team gets their own assortment of offensive and defensive tricks - and its all good fun. Bribe the ref, forcing a counter-bribe or outright manslaughter, send opponents into an acid trip haze, become 2 stories tall and pound the offense into bloody chunks. Its all satisfying.

The sound is great too, with both announcers delivering a great performance, although it does get a bit repetitive after time. The same can be said of the soundtrack in general. It also suffers from the same frustratingly frantic moments (think NFL Blitz), where the ball switches hands six times before the play gets blown dead. It can be fun when it goes your way, enraging when it does not.

All in all, this isn't the competitive light style that lends itself well to e-sports, such as the likes of Rocket League, but it is great fun none-the-less and even more enjoyable online or with a friend on the couch. It will definitely remind you of the Blitz/NFL Street days, and does the original franchise justice in every aspect.

8/10 - an easy buy for $20, see you on the field!
  10. Feb 8, 2019
    Note: you can obviously still buy this version, but definitely get the "Dynasty Edition" instead. There's more content and it feels like a complete game.

It's arcade football comparable to NFL Blitz but with a bit more depth - but not much. There is an involved franchise mode, season, playoffs, online, and exhibition. For what it costs, there is a ton of content - but again, more if you get the Dynasty Edition...which you should.

Here are two recommendations:

#1: turn the game speed on "fastest." Anything below that feels too slow. Fastest seems just right for arcade football.

#2: turn off "Dirty Tricks." It's cute, but also infuriating. Lose it.
  11. Feb 7, 2019
    Loved the game growing up and it’s still fun now all these years later. Love the crazy ness that goes on and the games hilarious. If your looking for a blitz like football experience with a few extra dash’s of insanity this if your game. Here’s to hoping they keep supporting it and to MLH in the future.
  12. Feb 7, 2019
    There is good, goofy, gory fun to be had here. You can't expect the polish of a Madden title, but along with that you can also skip the complexities. This game takes you back to the good old days of console football where games were high scoring and brutal affairs that anyone could jump into for fun without being intimidated by complex control schemes for every different position/scenarioThere is good, goofy, gory fun to be had here. You can't expect the polish of a Madden title, but along with that you can also skip the complexities. This game takes you back to the good old days of console football where games were high scoring and brutal affairs that anyone could jump into for fun without being intimidated by complex control schemes for every different position/scenario in sports games. So go ahead, give it shot, blow some mutants up, rip some aliens apart, and maybe score a few points while you're at it. Expand
  13. Oct 25, 2018
    This game is pretty terrible. On normal difficulty the gameplay is very unbalanced. The best way to win a game is by killing all the opponents QB’s. This is far from satisfying. Rarely will any starters finish the game. The playbooks are extremely limited. It’s hard to tell what player you are controlling on defense. It’s really a crappy game. Heck, you cannot at all tell what’sThis game is pretty terrible. On normal difficulty the gameplay is very unbalanced. The best way to win a game is by killing all the opponents QB’s. This is far from satisfying. Rarely will any starters finish the game. The playbooks are extremely limited. It’s hard to tell what player you are controlling on defense. It’s really a crappy game. Heck, you cannot at all tell what’s going on trying to substitute players. Character types have no impact on gameplay and are mixed on teams so you don’t have a complete robot, alien, etc. team. It’s pure cheese. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 4 Critic Reviews

Mutant Football League is a cheap and poorly executed arcade sports game. I think the developers went in with all the right intents, because there really aren't enough sports games being made for people who aren't willing to put a major commitment into the game in order to be able to appreciate it on any level. But for all the good intentions this game needs so much refinement, polish, and a complete graphical overhaul that I can't see myself busting this game out the next time I've got guests looking to play a game, either.
  2. Apr 3, 2018
    It successfully channels the spirit of its inspiration, it will please the niche audience that remembers it, and it’s impossible not to appreciate all the TLC that must have gone into its creation. Good strategy will win games and the playbook is not shallow, but it’s impossible not to love a game where victory can also be won by killing the opposing team’s best players.
  3. Feb 11, 2018
    Mutant Football League is fast, dirty fun, and definitely one of my favorite sports games in recent years.