1.7

Overwhelming dislike- based on 689 Ratings

1. Sep 25, 2017
    Microtransactions don't belong in fully priced games. Virtual currency is even worse. This company has 0 respect for consumers, they treat us like ATMs. Never touch another 2K product or any other game company's product if they pull crap like this.
  2. Sep 22, 2017
    Seriously, Im Canadian, i paid 79.99 + tax for a game that I am basically forced to spend another $60 to be playable. Fans are waking up, the greed is unreal, im glad nba live is stepping up, this is blatantly disrespectful for 2k to do this to it's loyal fanbase
  3. Sep 16, 2017
    The last few years NBA 2K's were one thing but this year crossed the line with the barber shop. Cosmetic stuff was was free before costs a ridiculous amount of VC now. They should be ashamed. Not to mention the MyNBA app giving almost no VC this year. It's blatantly obvious that this is just to force people to buy VC. You get less for free, earn less and everything costs more. How moreThe last few years NBA 2K's were one thing but this year crossed the line with the barber shop. Cosmetic stuff was was free before costs a ridiculous amount of VC now. They should be ashamed. Not to mention the MyNBA app giving almost no VC this year. It's blatantly obvious that this is just to force people to buy VC. You get less for free, earn less and everything costs more. How more obvious could it be? Expand
  4. Sep 25, 2017
    You need a lot of VC to upgrade your attributes
    You can't earn VC because you can't play well without decent attributes

This game is the definition of Pay to Win.
  5. Sep 22, 2017
    F2P game mechanics in a "AAA" title for 60$ forcing people to buy VC. This is a joke.

No Good No Good No Good No Good No Good No Good No Good No Good
  6. Oct 5, 2017
    I'm so frustrated with this game that it actually made me make a Metacritic account and write this review. I'll go ahead and get the good aspects out of the way - since it's such a small list compared to the bad. The facescans for your myPlayer have been the best this year (I no longer resemble meatball and spaghetti) and gameplay feels more fluid than previous years. Still, this game isI'm so frustrated with this game that it actually made me make a Metacritic account and write this review. I'll go ahead and get the good aspects out of the way - since it's such a small list compared to the bad. The facescans for your myPlayer have been the best this year (I no longer resemble meatball and spaghetti) and gameplay feels more fluid than previous years. Still, this game is like an extremely nice house you've already paid off, but you still have to pay more **** even though you own it. You enter your home, and every other step you take, there's feces on the floor, every door you open, there's feces on the handle, and when you sit on the toilet seat, you guessed it, feces on the toilet seat.

Alright, let's get down to the nitty, gritty, bull**** that is surrounding this once-loved basketball video game. I've played NBA 2K since 2K11, so when I say I can smell the bull**** increasing, it's **** increasing, and it's finally hit the limit. Starting with 2K16, I saw glimpses that this game would be a "pay-to-play" video game, but never to this extent. The fact that this game is so blatantly greedy is absolutely astounding. Items that were free in the past (haircuts, dribble moves, etc) costs VC now. And if it wasn't free and was cheap before, the price has been inflated. I'm an NBA superstar with a highrise in the middle of the city and I can't afford a **** haircut? I really liked how after the backlash, Ronnie2k, their media coordinator, said that they lowered the price of the haircuts to 100 vc to make it more "realistic." I understand, it's his job to spew bull**** to make 2K look better than it is, but this was clearly a cash grab by the company and they are testing the limits of how much they can squeeze out of their customers. People who have not played the game will not understand a lot of these points, but I'm still going to make a **** list because it's so preposterous

The early release, half my friends lost their myPlayers along with all their VC they invested in it - only to have some of them returned to them FIVE days later AFTER they already created a new player and invested a ton of VC and time into grinding the badges.

Walking everywhere - This wouldn't be horrible if it was just you, but if you want to play with your friends on walk on ProAm, you have to invite every single one of them to your neighborhood, invite everyone of them to your squad twice (theres a bug where first invite doesn't work first time), walk all the way there, and hope you all get in, it doesn't lag out, you don't get a cutscene, and doesn't crash, because if it does, you gotta do everything over again. If you lose, you have to do it all over again because apparently it places you into a different neighborhood.

I cannot continue because it's still making me angry and I now need to make an appointment with my anger management coach and therapist. 2/10 - Stop bull****ting me 2k.

Edit: Changed score to 0 since it's pulling the score right now, 1.8, higher than it should be
  7. Sep 22, 2017
    Holy balls, wtf is this shiat!? You're kidding me? Are you expecting me to pay 80$ more on your shiat just to have fun, with a game I already paid a small fortune for? 2K, bijatsh, please!
    Don't buy this game, you want have fun with it. Unless you're ready to spend another fortune.
  8. Sep 23, 2017
    SCAM!! Paying $60 does nothing more than make this playable. The bulk of the content and actual progress requires more and more $. The career mode is pretty awful too compared to some of the earlier entries. AVOID!!
  9. Sep 22, 2017
    **** microtransactions in AAA games in general. In particular, this ****ing "game" is full to the brim with them to the point they hugely impact the gameplay and the general experience. DO NOT BUY.
  10. Sep 20, 2017
    I've seen games use micro-transactions many times but this time they went too far, this is just inexcusable for a 60 dollar game to get to a point of it being unplayable unless you pay more. I hope 2K goes bankrupt, they don't deserve to exist.
  11. Sep 22, 2017
    Currency system ruins the game. Returned Immediately. Be aware of critics that rate this high. Even if the design of the game is decent, you shouldn't get a pass on an awful business practice.
  12. Sep 22, 2017
    First off: Look at user score, and look at the "critic" reviews. If that discrepancy doesn't tell you anything, then I don't know what does. Either the "critics" are out of touch, or they are bought and paid for. You be the judge. And let's not forget 2K asking TheSixthAxis to adjust their score... On to the game...

NBA2KVC is what this game should be called. Because that's what you'll

NBA2KVC is what this game should be called. Because that's what you'll be spending. Haircuts, hair color, attributes, shoes, pants, shirts, animations, boosts, etc. All available for 500+ VC.

How much do they want to you to buy VC from them ON TOP OF BUYING THE GAME FOR $60? Let me count the ways: 1) This year you start off with a garbage character who wouldn't cut it in a middle school B-team. The solution? Spend VC to upgrade the attributes. 2) The removed the lowest difficulty level in the game to make it harder to perform and advance through the season. The solution? Spend VC to upgrade your player. 3) They reduced the VC awarded for each game completed. 4) They removed player customization, leaving hair and clothes as the primary way of customizing. Hair styles and color? Monetized this year. Clothes and shoes? Prices jacked up. I want to give this game a 1 because of the hard work that I'm sure a lot of people put into the game. But I can't... the slime that this game feels like won't let me. I hope Ronnie2K enjoys the roasting this year is getting here and on steam.

SECONDARY COMPLAINT: Stop with the constant unskippable cutscenes! I dont want to waste 5 mins watching some unfunny Asian YouTube chick do her shtick. I WANT TO SKIP IT AND PLAY BASKETBALL. ALLOW US TO SKIP THE CUTSCENES.
  13. Sep 15, 2017
    Clear money grab this year, it had been slowly getting worse but this year is outrageous. It feels like the product has gotten worse at the same time. The story is sooo bad it's laughable, it honestly feels like the devs are trying to troll you. Servers are of course not improved either. Many of the old school players now look nothing like themselves. Those 10 ratings from guys whoClear money grab this year, it had been slowly getting worse but this year is outrageous. It feels like the product has gotten worse at the same time. The story is sooo bad it's laughable, it honestly feels like the devs are trying to troll you. Servers are of course not improved either. Many of the old school players now look nothing like themselves. Those 10 ratings from guys who can barely speak english are obvious shills.

I loved 2k15, 2k16 was solid as well, started disliking 2k last year and now I'm wondering how/why people continue to play this franchise
  14. Sep 16, 2017
    This seemed like it could be the greatest NBA 2k of all time. Open world, new netcode, new park, etc. I was excited to see all these new things until my game crashed and wiped my character that i just bought VC for and upgraded. This is a game-breaking bug that has affected thousands of paying customers. 2k support hasn’t helped anyone yet, and I personally have been waiting 40 hours justThis seemed like it could be the greatest NBA 2k of all time. Open world, new netcode, new park, etc. I was excited to see all these new things until my game crashed and wiped my character that i just bought VC for and upgraded. This is a game-breaking bug that has affected thousands of paying customers. 2k support hasn’t helped anyone yet, and I personally have been waiting 40 hours just for a response. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME UNTIL IT IS FIXED!! Expand
  15. Sep 23, 2017
    Greedy **** 2k want to suck every single penny in our wallet . Don't buy this **** guy . stop letting those scumbag climb over your head . They ruin everything they touch
  16. Sep 22, 2017
    This entire game is a blatant cash grab. Worst microtransactions I’ve ever personally experienced in a video game ever. Not only does every little thing cost way more VC than ever before, you don’t earn **** from Mycareer or Myleague games. Not only that there is a glitch that deletes your player, and a glitch that just straight up takes away your VC after a Mycareer game. You canThis entire game is a blatant cash grab. Worst microtransactions I’ve ever personally experienced in a video game ever. Not only does every little thing cost way more VC than ever before, you don’t earn **** from Mycareer or Myleague games. Not only that there is a glitch that deletes your player, and a glitch that just straight up takes away your VC after a Mycareer game. You can literally watch the game take way your VC. 2k is “aware” of these glitches but have and will do nothing about it like usual, their 2k “support” team is a joke. As for gameplay in Mycareer, your start off with a god-awful player as usual, and they took away Rookie difficulty and made the AI play like it’s the hardest difficulty even on Pro difficulty ( Which used to be one tier above Rookie). More incentive purchase their BS VC. Layups are completely broken, you will blow wide open layups and then watch the CPU make an and-one layup on the other end. You will throw 10 ft outlet passes out of bounds. The fouls are ridiculous in Mycareer as well, virtually every time you press the block button on a drive by the CPU a foul is called on either you or the player guarding it. The turnovers are awful, you still get phased into other players out of nowhere and lose the ball on their body parts. Keep in mind this is the same BS from 2k14-17. And to top it all off, the cringy hours upon hours of cutscenes in the story are unskippable and as annoying as ever. There are cutscenes after every game. There are cutscenes when you go to practice. And the Barber Shop. And the Tattoo shop, etc. They range from boring to just outright pissing you off with how bad they are. It’s just hard to have fun on this game. The only positive I have about this game that I didn’t about 2k17 is the All-Time rosters. But even that is hindered by 2k’s laziness while creating the actual rosters. Many stars on the team will have a reasonable attributes but 2k will not give them any badges. What is the point of playing with 2012 Melo if he doesn’t have a single badge? More proof that 2k will half-ass anything if they find another way to make more money instead. Also, the All-Star Team up mode, which I have enjoyed in the past, doesn’t even utilize the full rosters. It’s the same players as 2k17 just with the current players on their new respective teams. Overall this is a lazy, rushed , cash grab of a game with a terrible support team. I would give this a negative score if I could, and all of these weak ass review sites giving the game 9s and 10s for a check from 2k should be **** ashamed. *BONUS*: 2k has been exposed for forcing a game review site to remove a 3/10 review for this ****ty ass game. Screw 2k Expand
  17. Sep 22, 2017
    Well I was having fun before I got my DAMN PLAYER DELETED. Seriously, I spent 50 dollars of VC on my player, and then it was deleted. Still waiting on a reply from 2k support after I submitted a request 4 DAYS AGO. I'm really pissed off at this company for not realizing that I spent 50 dollars only to have it go down the drain. If I don't get my player back I'm gonna be so **** pissed.
  18. Sep 22, 2017
    Nothing new to the game is actually more a step back from 2017 than I thought. Without talking about the aggressive microtransaction. It's a sport game so please 2K don't milk your customers.
  19. Sep 19, 2017
    MONEY 2K18 is HERE! You can buy MONEY 2K18 only with money, also in MONEY 2K18 with money you can buy more money! ALL HAIL TO THE BEST MONEY SIMULATOR EVER (and i hope all the people who made MONEY 2K18 such it is will DIE!)
  20. Sep 17, 2017
    vc,vc,vc for everything!! i play most in my career mode and my player is a total noob, i max all the stats and he can't score a single shot! garbage! cut scene not skippable and servers problem....
  21. Sep 18, 2017
    MyTeam is a joke. MyGm is the worst manager mode experience I have ever experienced. MyPlayer and everything that goes into it is worse than ever, besides the above mentioned VC related stuff, it is made in a way to lengthen the time spent in the game.
  22. Sep 23, 2017
    U can swap ur game name with VC Simulator 18. Pure grab for cash. Rly. The career plot is so bad its insane. Characters are cringey, dialogs are boring, and on top of that u cannot skip it. VC is floding almost every part of gameplay. I'm sick of it. This year im going with live 18. Withous spending a dime for in-game currency i have 81 overall in my player mode. I enjoy it so much. And toU can swap ur game name with VC Simulator 18. Pure grab for cash. Rly. The career plot is so bad its insane. Characters are cringey, dialogs are boring, and on top of that u cannot skip it. VC is floding almost every part of gameplay. I'm sick of it. This year im going with live 18. Withous spending a dime for in-game currency i have 81 overall in my player mode. I enjoy it so much. And to be honest i think that next year 2k won't change... Expand
  23. Sep 23, 2017
    After all the hate Microtransactions get these years. Publishers and developers clearly keep pulling this on the consumer.

Overpriced cosmetics, a slow progression system (unless you pay), microtrasactions
  24. Sep 22, 2017
    I was gonna buy this game because I love basketball, but as soon as I heard 2K forced someone to revise there score from a 3/10 to something positive, I said **** it." There is no way they are getting my money now. Charging for haircuts, seriously? 2K must be out of their damn minds to practice something so despicable it makes Jesus weep. This microtransaction **** needs to stop, NOW. VCI was gonna buy this game because I love basketball, but as soon as I heard 2K forced someone to revise there score from a 3/10 to something positive, I said **** it." There is no way they are getting my money now. Charging for haircuts, seriously? 2K must be out of their damn minds to practice something so despicable it makes Jesus weep. This microtransaction **** needs to stop, NOW. VC is getting out of hand and 2K should be ashamed of themselves for ever implementing such a dog turd of a system into their game. Expand
  25. Sep 22, 2017
    As a guy who has a guilty pleasure with Sport Sims, this game is an alright basketball sport sim with an obvious money pig objective which drags the game A LOT. For a guy who LOVES Career Modes in Sport sims, the fact that VC dictates mostly everything and practically revolves around it, I'm very disappointed.
  26. Sep 22, 2017
    Pay to play - The Game. They don't even try to hide it in a creative way. It's blatant, insulting, and unfortunately will work. 2K17 was good, this is a slight upgrade in graphics and mechanics and 10 steps backwards in just about every other aspect. What a joke.
  27. Sep 19, 2017
    They completely ruined MyCareer. It takes forever to play. Between all the unskipable, meaningless, stupid cut-scenes and the whole "neighborhood" theme, it's absurd. I can't believe 2k got this bad. I was hoping for more from 2K than this piece of garbage. Unfortunately I got the digital copy so I can't sell it or return it.
  28. Sep 23, 2017
    I had to return this game. It has been rendered literally unplayable due to greed. While the graphics were good, I base my score on my personal experience with the gameplay. Do not support this behavior. Developers and publishers will continue if they think they can get away with it.
  29. Sep 22, 2017
    The worst 2k to date. Micro transactions are riddled everywhere that myplayer is unplayable. But if that wasn’t bad enough the whole game is unplayable, you’d think with this being the next installment in the 2k series it’d be better.. but that’s further from the truth.
  30. Sep 22, 2017
    I'd honestly be able to put up with the microtransactions if the rest of the game wasn't trash. From inconsistent controls, players not understanding spacing, defense leaving players open, players bodies moving independent of their legs, pointless story modes in my gm to the uninteresting mycareer story, and so much more, this game isn't worth the money or grind. Then when you add to itI'd honestly be able to put up with the microtransactions if the rest of the game wasn't trash. From inconsistent controls, players not understanding spacing, defense leaving players open, players bodies moving independent of their legs, pointless story modes in my gm to the uninteresting mycareer story, and so much more, this game isn't worth the money or grind. Then when you add to it the face that they decided that money was so much a part of the game that if you play offline you are given a total different experience, this game has made me create a medacritic account just to help bring this score down to where it should be. Expand
  31. Oct 30, 2017
    The progress in MyCareer is normally a grind, but if you were curious as to how much VC is needed to improve your rookie, it took about 100,000 VC to upgrade to a 75 rating. The gameplay is still quite good on the court, but the cut scenes and VC-cash grab makes the game nearly unplayable. I've owned every game 2k game for the past ten years, but this is certainly my last.
  32. Sep 22, 2017
    We all know about the blatant cash grab that this series has become but that's not my focus. I can't get past how buggy and glitchy this title is. From losing myPlayers(purchased VC) to not having VC added to your total to the actual gameplay. Ive read a few people say how great it is to finally play "sim" basketball and to anyone who chooses to disagree they call them "arcade" styleWe all know about the blatant cash grab that this series has become but that's not my focus. I can't get past how buggy and glitchy this title is. From losing myPlayers(purchased VC) to not having VC added to your total to the actual gameplay. Ive read a few people say how great it is to finally play "sim" basketball and to anyone who chooses to disagree they call them "arcade" style players. I totally disagree, the gameplay is terrible. The shot meter may be broken. I tracked 100 shots i took in practice. With no defenders my 86 overall sharpshooting shot creator SG made 9 of 44 midrange "good" release shots. Thats not "sim" basketball cause if an Nba level backup shot that way he wouldn't be in the NBA for much longer. This game needs a lot of work Expand
  33. Sep 18, 2017
    Let me start off by saying that I own every 2k title since the first 2k with A.I. on the cover for Dreamcast. I'm a huge fanboy of the franchise and it's literally one of the only games I play aside from whenever a new GTA comes out. Overall, the gameplay of this game is good. Very comparable to 2k17 with a few more animations and slightly better and more frequent contact detection. ItLet me start off by saying that I own every 2k title since the first 2k with A.I. on the cover for Dreamcast. I'm a huge fanboy of the franchise and it's literally one of the only games I play aside from whenever a new GTA comes out. Overall, the gameplay of this game is good. Very comparable to 2k17 with a few more animations and slightly better and more frequent contact detection. It does seem like running with the ball on a fast break is slower and overall the players move a bit slower. I don't particularly like this however this can be adjusted with the gameplay slider if you are playing offline. Overall, slight improvement in graphics / face scans, very similar gameplay, and updated rosters.

Now to the bad part, and if you have looked at any of the other reviews, you will have probably already heard. Myplayer is a disaster. They've basically removed create a player. You can change about 5 things on how your player looks and this is very apparent when you walk around the world and EVERYONE looks almost identical. I believe there were like 5 different hairstyles you can choose from when starting the game. Bad start. Then the first cut scenes come along. Your player can be a 7'1 center but will be the same height as a teenage girl with the voice of a 15 year old. Aside from that, the cutscenes are RIDICULOUSLY cheesy. I mean, like almost shockingly bad. Your best friend is a little ghetto Asian girl and somehow you live in a beautiful loft with a basketball court built into your house and doorman before you play your first game. Okay, whatever just skip the cutscenes.. oh, you can't do that.

One of the new features is the open world. This seems like it would be pretty cool if everything didn't cost an outrageous amount of VC that the game makes very hard to earn. I am very good at this game, I scored 10 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals in my first game with about 4 minutes of playing time as a 60 overall. I can play this game with a completely trash player, but for them to make everything and anything you want to do cost VC plus have caps on everything (really, I need to be a 70 to get a tattoo? wtf?) is crazy. Basically, this whole game is designed as a money grab. You'd really need to spend a couple hundred dollars to enjoy this game to it's full potential on day 1 which is completely ludicrous. This is not to mention that the whole walking around to do anything in the game basically just makes everything you want to do (like play the game) take significantly longer to do and adds additional load screens to everything. I play this game on a VERY high end computer and the load screens still drive me insane, if I was playing this on an Xbox I would have literally turned the game off an hour in and returned it.

I cannot express how disappointed I am in this game. Each year I spend a few months playing this game any chance I possibly get when it first comes out. This year I've played for about 5 hours and don't really look forward to playing more. I will most likely stick to just regular offline gameplay which is pretty disappointing. Ultimately, this was $60 for updated rosters, jerseys, and a few new animations. It's not unthinkable to expect more but I guess 2k is getting into Madden territory with their annual releases.
  34. Sep 16, 2017
    The worst 2k ive played in a long time, maybe even all time. The gameplay was awful, the my career mode was the worst its ever been. VC has become a joke, and you cant even play mycareer offline.
  35. Nov 3, 2017
    The game is flawed inside and out. The game hinders itself by making every little choice a micro transaction. They reduced how much virtual currency you earn in games significantly, and raised the cost of every attribute. Trying to play the game without spending $20 on virtual currency is impossible since they built it into the fundamentals of the game.

Apart from this, they took away

Apart from this, they took away features from las year. You can't play MyCareer without having Xbox Live Gold, MyGM does not have the league expansion feature we had last year, And MyCareer's story is not only embarrassingly pathetic, but you cannot exit out of cut scenes, most of which are 3-10 minutes long (note: there are cut scenes before/after almost every game your rookie year). I couldn't possibly be more disappointed.

Also, beware of the other reviews on here marking it a 10/10. Some are obviously paid reviews from people who don't speak English and don't actually play the game.
  36. Sep 15, 2017
    Beware of fake reviews. The two 10 rated reviews seem like paid advertisement. This game is far from a 10/10 especially if you are a mycareer player. The greed this year by 2k is the most I've seen by a company in a while.

- Players May Not Preview A Haircut, And Must Repurchase Previously Purchased Haircuts - NBA 2k18 Removes The Bonus VC For Higher Difficulty Modifier - NBA 2k18

- NBA 2k18 Removes The Bonus VC For Higher Difficulty Modifier

- NBA 2k18 App Gives Less VC Than It Used To

- Can no longer preview attribute boosts before purchasing upgrades in MyCareer.

This is only what's been discovered within the first 14 hours. They've turned this into a **** mobile game with microtransactions at every time, except you paid $60 for the privilege.

Campaign story is awful and all cutscenes are unskippable. Look up lil tasty your new sidekick if you want to preview the cringe.

Still facing shot clock cheese, unstoppable animations, as well as broken ones like the failed dunk. Game needs major work, especially in terms of microtransactions.
  37. Sep 15, 2017
    The currency system in this game is a joke. 2k has cut down the amount of VC (in game currency) you can earn considerably, and has started charging for ridiculous things like haircuts. They've implemented a free-to-play model in a $60 video game. It's unbelievably greedy and dishonest.
  38. LTT
    Sep 16, 2017
    This game is an absolute money grab, the the microtransactions you would expect from a free game. MyCareer, is broken and is riddled with unskippable loading screens and long loading times. The gameplay doesn't make too much innovation either, but it can be fun once you are actually able to get to it. Unless you're a hard core NBA fan, there would be no reason to buy 2K18 instead of 2k17 or 2k16.
  39. Sep 15, 2017
    One of the biggest cash grabs in video game history. Have to pay for haircuts that you cant preview, can no longer preview attribute upgrades leading to broken builds, and everything cots more VC then ever before. VC earning has been neutered across the board. Making 1/2 per game and even less through the app than last year. They are forcing consumers into micro transactions at every turn.One of the biggest cash grabs in video game history. Have to pay for haircuts that you cant preview, can no longer preview attribute upgrades leading to broken builds, and everything cots more VC then ever before. VC earning has been neutered across the board. Making 1/2 per game and even less through the app than last year. They are forcing consumers into micro transactions at every turn. Game play feels very familiar and the same cheese will be back. Expand
  40. Sep 16, 2017
    Awful in so many ways, enough ways to bore a person in to falling asleep, much like the cut scenes in this game.

So here is a little list for easy reading. -No difficulty changing below Pro in MyCareer as player rating is all linked to online and as a result they want you to struggle as much as possible to earn VC. -Yeah VC thats something you'll be using a lot of, well not really

So here is a little list for easy reading.

-Yeah VC thats something you'll be using a lot of, well not really since you don't earn any at all through playing the game. Feel free to buy the lovely VC packages that 2k so kindly added.

-Who approved these cut scenes, they literally had Michael B Jordan in the previous game who could actually pull of some believable dialogue. Now you just have this mess of a "story", I mean really why bother at all.

-I have already gotten bored of writing out my problems with this game, its bad. Very bad, anyone defending 2k and their business practices are straight up part of the problem with modern video game developers/publishers.

Stop buying damn VC for god sake this is a never ending cycle and it looks as though it may never stop.
  41. Sep 18, 2017
    The career mode is virtually unplayable if you don't purchase extra VC. Your player is unrealistically bad. You either have to spent lots of extra money or suffer through hours of comically poor gameplay, in what they call the road to 99. This is not the road to 99, this is the road to hell.
  42. Sep 18, 2017
    This game is terrible. I don't understand how the critics all think it is great. It runs poorly and forces the MyCareerr to have it at pro so that in order to progress at any reasonable rate you need to give them more money for micro transactions. The MyCareer option can't even run on the switch. Just google 'NBA 2k18 problems' There are a lot. Previous iterations are better and cheaper.This game is terrible. I don't understand how the critics all think it is great. It runs poorly and forces the MyCareerr to have it at pro so that in order to progress at any reasonable rate you need to give them more money for micro transactions. The MyCareer option can't even run on the switch. Just google 'NBA 2k18 problems' There are a lot. Previous iterations are better and cheaper. If you want to play a basketball game just stick with those. I was hoping to be able to play MyCareer on the go with my Switch but with the need for a constant connection to the internet I can't, even though MyCareer is single player. Expand
  43. Sep 15, 2017
    I expecting a better sequel installment to NBA 2k16 and 17. Sure the shooting system is good, the overall graphic is bit better, the face scan feature is a huge imporvement and myGM mode is pretty good. However, the developer did not learn their mistake and not to improve the gameplay experience, yet somehow they make it even worse than previous games. The weighty character movement isI expecting a better sequel installment to NBA 2k16 and 17. Sure the shooting system is good, the overall graphic is bit better, the face scan feature is a huge imporvement and myGM mode is pretty good. However, the developer did not learn their mistake and not to improve the gameplay experience, yet somehow they make it even worse than previous games. The weighty character movement is completely slow the pace of the game down too much, the character customization are bad and the progression are just an another exhausting grinding task becasue 2K think it is good idea to ditch out the difficulty bonus. There are also many issues never addressed. For example,the screens is still broken, the AI is laughably bad, and the players animation are far worse than NBA 2k16/17 in comparision (how is this even possible!?) In the end, I cannot recommand this game for any long time fan of the series and I'll stay away from the is franchise for a while . But then again, If you are an newcomer or just a causal NBA fan. I recommend you to try it up. You probably might end up liking it Expand
  44. Sep 16, 2017
    This series keep on going down hill... this game is way over hyped by the community. I bought it and seems way to similar to 2K17. Run the neighbourhood is way overrated
  45. Sep 15, 2017
    I cancelled my preorder luckily before release after playing the prelude. I was shocked at how bad the game mechanics were. I could see they were going the micro transaction route. I agree with those that call this game poor. What was most telling was the release trailer just showed a kid walking through a neighborhood for 10 mins. With maybe 10-20 secs of actual game footage.I cancelled my preorder luckily before release after playing the prelude. I was shocked at how bad the game mechanics were. I could see they were going the micro transaction route. I agree with those that call this game poor. What was most telling was the release trailer just showed a kid walking through a neighborhood for 10 mins. With maybe 10-20 secs of actual game footage. Mostly of a kid running thru a neighborhood GTA style. When a game hides their gameplay in a trailer, that should be a red flag for everyone. I'll pass this year and so should you. When the "pro" reviews come out you will all see. And any game under a 6 is trash. I predict this game will come in at mid 6 maybe. Expand
  46. Sep 21, 2017
    I'm going to make it sweet and simple and to the point. 2k is the pimp and the consumer is the trick period! that explains this game perfectly. $150 won't be enough to enjoy your MyCareer
  47. Sep 16, 2017
    300 hundred in the trash. im not poor i have no problem playing 20 games all weekend to be able to afford a haircut ingame. 2k17 was the best game for career balancing with archtypes which gave u 5 master badges and 40 other bronze, which i spent forever to atttain all making my rebounder a lebron.now i have set my 2 archtypes, it tells me the 20 badges im allowed to get, fine. but when i300 hundred in the trash. im not poor i have no problem playing 20 games all weekend to be able to afford a haircut ingame. 2k17 was the best game for career balancing with archtypes which gave u 5 master badges and 40 other bronze, which i spent forever to atttain all making my rebounder a lebron.now i have set my 2 archtypes, it tells me the 20 badges im allowed to get, fine. but when i dont have to stats to use allyoop animations wtf is it giving me a waste of lob finisher badge.last year a rebounder was not a useless terd in the post. ntm i had to putt 200k vc just to find out how **** he was, they no longer show you the projected stats when spending points. neighborhood is cool for about 5min than you realise they found a way to add nother 20min load time between games. more loading. more money. less stats and badges. less fun. GG FAIL Expand
  48. Sep 17, 2017
    Terrible attempted money grabber, the whole design of my career is flawed so you can't succeed early in an attempt to for you to purchase coins. It's truly a painful grind, the prices of the barber and drinks etched is pathetic. The cutscenes are obviously made for and written by 10 year olds,
  49. Sep 16, 2017
    Just a grind to get anywhere, the whole purpose is to sell vc, my player is so rigged to fail unless you buy coins to boost your player, it's pathetic, plus with the repeative cut scenes and sub par facial animations, 2nd rate graphics, makes this a fail.
  50. Sep 16, 2017
    - bad frame rate on ps4 (lol)
    - career minimum difficulty is pro now not amateur
    - fouls are given to MyPlayer very easily to you - you have to pay VC even to "breath"! - unnecessary running for minutes in neighborhood to purchase clothes, tattos, etc... -- very choppy gameplay in My Career, i shoot the shot meter starts to fill and stutters and when it defreezes my shot is "very
    - bad frame rate on ps4 (lol)
    - career minimum difficulty is pro now not amateur
    - fouls are given to MyPlayer very easily to you
    - you have to pay VC even to "breath"!
    -- very choppy gameplay in My Career, i shoot the shot meter starts to fill and stutters and when it defreezes my shot is "very late" and ofc i miss it...
    -- you earn fewer vc overall
    --- legendary edition items (shaq apparel etc) only given to the FIRST player you create (in his closet), the others are getting nada :(

+ very nice animations
    + double archetype combos give many many variatons to choose from

needs many patches to address the launch issues.. so far crappiest nba 2k in years

P.S. for fanboys and staged positive critic have a look at the "superb" game graphics:
  51. Sep 23, 2017
    Pay 2 win microtransaction simulator. 2k games are greedy money whores. Worst NBA 2kXX game ever?

Also the devs tried to influence The Sixth Axis to remove their low review score. Oh how low they've sunk.
  52. Sep 24, 2017
    This game is the pinnacle of what gaming is turning into these days. The graphics are sub-par at best, the career mode is bland, and most importantly, a microtransacrion system that would be bad in a free to play game, in a full $60 release. If you want a 2k Basketball game for a career mode of some sort, get an earlier title. DO NOT give this game any money. The micro transactions areThis game is the pinnacle of what gaming is turning into these days. The graphics are sub-par at best, the career mode is bland, and most importantly, a microtransacrion system that would be bad in a free to play game, in a full $60 release. If you want a 2k Basketball game for a career mode of some sort, get an earlier title. DO NOT give this game any money. The micro transactions are invasive to the point where regulations (see; bound by law) should be put in place against these invasive microtransactions. Expand
  53. Sep 23, 2017
    I really expected that this would be a great game, but at the end I feel sick and disappointed of 2K. There are so many problems in this game and it's getting out of hand. I'll start with the pros at least if there are any

1-The gameplay is actually smoother than 16 and 17. What I mean by this is that it feels better to control and it really feels more realistic . 2- The "Run the

2- The "Run the Neighborhood" Concept is actually really fun. It feels like you're living the life of a NBA superstar by getting shirts,haircuts, tattoos and all of that. It's also nice where you are in the locker room and also shoot around before the game is a really nice touch
    3-The presentation is actually better than 2k17 at least. 2K17 didn't have a good presentation and interface but 2k18 is actaully good.

And now the cons, where 2k has to suffer for what they done to us, for how they let us spend money on this garbage
    1- The difficulty is just out of control in this game. Even in the easiest difficulty which is Pro, it's still so damn difficult that sometimes it's already unplayable because you keep losing all the time. And this Pro we're talking about which is like the Hof
    2-The AI is also one of the reasons why I hate this game so bad. Your teammates suck. You can't rely on them to make a shot, they can't defend at all, they can't make a easy layup either. And also even if you defend your player he's still going to make the shot. It feels like they're unstoppable when it's a close game and you can't do anything
    3-The micro transactions is the most dumbest thing that 2k has ever done. We spent $60 for this game yet the game still wants you to buy more VC in order for you to upgrade your player. And not only that, you can't preview haircuts, you have to be a 75 to buy something from the NBA Store. It's basically telling us that if you dont' buy VC, you're screwed.
    4- The servers is still trash as well. The experience I had is you finish a game in MyCareer and it will tell you that there is a problem with the servers. It would be understandable if the game was saved but no it will let you repeat the game which you already finished which is frustating and is also the reason long load times is happening because they have a hard time trnasitionining from the game to going online.

So that's all I have for you guys today. Thanks for reading and I hope that we learned our lesson today which is not to preorder 2k19. I hope that we will not lend our money to those greedy bastards as they don't care anymore about the quality instead all they want is the money. Don't fall for the same trick that they're going to do again.
  54. Sep 22, 2017
    Gameplay is far better than last year, some issues needs to be patches though, like the layup system, imo last year had a better layup system when you learned how to time it perfectly. But this game has been overflown with VC, the currency in this game, it takes many hours if you want to unlock one simple animation on mycareer, it feels like i need to pay real money to enjoy this game, theGameplay is far better than last year, some issues needs to be patches though, like the layup system, imo last year had a better layup system when you learned how to time it perfectly. But this game has been overflown with VC, the currency in this game, it takes many hours if you want to unlock one simple animation on mycareer, it feels like i need to pay real money to enjoy this game, the grind is good but the greed is too much from 2K. Expand
  55. Sep 23, 2017
    This game is an absolute **** joke. You can be winning 15 online and your opponent will call a timeout and ruin the game and its just a luck fest of horrible bump steals (seriously way too many) and who can make more contested makes. BUT GUESS WHAT IF YOU THREW 150 DOLLARS AT THE GAME YOU'LL WIN THAT COIN FLIP CAUSE SHAQ IS AMAZING AT MAKING CONTESTED SHOTS. No point guard that can play aThis game is an absolute **** joke. You can be winning 15 online and your opponent will call a timeout and ruin the game and its just a luck fest of horrible bump steals (seriously way too many) and who can make more contested makes. BUT GUESS WHAT IF YOU THREW 150 DOLLARS AT THE GAME YOU'LL WIN THAT COIN FLIP CAUSE SHAQ IS AMAZING AT MAKING CONTESTED SHOTS. No point guard that can play a bit of offence will be able to guard a 93 ball control 96 speed with ball kyrie no matter how hard they try. The gameplay itself isn't bad but they released an unfinished game, i've only played myteam and everyones complaining about mycareer as well so there really isn't one good part about this game and unless they drop patches you already know that no one is gonna even consider buying 2k19 Expand
  56. Sep 23, 2017
    Absolutely disgusting f2p elements ON A 60$ GAME THAT IS PRETTY MUCH A BEST-SELLER AMONG BASKETBALL GAMES.

DO NOT support this company, they dont deserve any money for trying to do this to consumers, at all.
  57. Sep 22, 2017
    Metacritic has proved many times never ever listen to the critics because these days they are nothing more than paid mouthpieces for the publisher and the payment isn't money! It's the review copy of the game providing you give it a good review! Pathetic. Look at the left for the paid review then look at the right from people who are actually playing the game past the review period . BTWMetacritic has proved many times never ever listen to the critics because these days they are nothing more than paid mouthpieces for the publisher and the payment isn't money! It's the review copy of the game providing you give it a good review! Pathetic. Look at the left for the paid review then look at the right from people who are actually playing the game past the review period . BTW the game is crap and the model is now akin to every mobile game with microtransactions. Don't waste your money on this junk. Expand
  58. Sep 28, 2017
    I don't normally write reviews but I have had enough of 2k's greedy agenda in pushing microtransactions year after year. This year is the worst its ever been. If you're familiar with past MyCareers, you can change the difficulty settings from rookie to hall of fame, and at the end of the game, you can earn a VC multiplier. The higher difficulty you played on, the more VC you can earn perI don't normally write reviews but I have had enough of 2k's greedy agenda in pushing microtransactions year after year. This year is the worst its ever been. If you're familiar with past MyCareers, you can change the difficulty settings from rookie to hall of fame, and at the end of the game, you can earn a VC multiplier. The higher difficulty you played on, the more VC you can earn per game to upgrade your player. Well they actually removed the multiplier, so not only is it not rewarding to play on higher difficulty, they found another way to make it harder for your to earn VC.

They have officially ruined MyCareer mode, which was my favorite game mode in this game. The gameplay is actually improved from last year, but the fact of this blatant push for mictrotransactions absolutely leaves a bad taste in your mouth considering you paid 60$ for a full titled game yet you feel like this is a game you downloaded for free on the App Store.
  59. Sep 22, 2017
    The currency system needs an insane reboot. The system they have for the newer NBA 2k games is horrendous. The gameplay is just as good as it usually is but I can't support the greed shown by how expensive trivial things like haircuts are. Please either reduce the amount of VC needed to level up your MyPlayer or scrap the whole micro-transaction system seen in all modern Sports video games.
  60. Sep 23, 2017
    Don't listen to the critic reviews, they are paid advertisements for the most part. If you want an honest review read the sixth axis review. Listen to the actual users, those who play the game for more than a week and have been playing this game for years. This years it is absolutely a disgrace, its been moving in this direction for quite some time but this year takes the cake. Not beingDon't listen to the critic reviews, they are paid advertisements for the most part. If you want an honest review read the sixth axis review. Listen to the actual users, those who play the game for more than a week and have been playing this game for years. This years it is absolutely a disgrace, its been moving in this direction for quite some time but this year takes the cake. Not being able to know what kind of player you are building because the ratings aren't shown. 2K did this so that we would make mistakes with our build and start a new build all over again. Ordinarily, that wouldn't be such a bad thing, but this year 2K has gone so hard with micro transactions and the VC grind that it makes it hard to walk away from a character you've wasted so much time as well as VC on and start all over. You'll have to buy everything all over again, clothes, sneakers, haircuts, accessories...I mean everything. They took a step further in making VC harder to get, you know, I wouldn't mind it being like this if this game were free to play, but for $60 its disgusting.

To compound the grind for VC, the devs make myCareer hard to play because they blatantly placed code in the gameplay to cheat us gamers even further. This is beyond unethical because they are strong arming players to pay for attributes and even when we do pay they cheat us using these tactics. For instance when practicing, and in the prelude, it is far easier to hit a shot. You can get excellent (greens) at will if you've practice the timing of your shot. Well it doesn't work like that when you are actually playing a NBA game. In game you rarely get a green even if your wide open and or hit open shots, missing layups is the norm, turnovers that have been happening for years are still happening. What bothers me the most is that 2K dedicates so much time to these stupid storylines, but they cant take out time to fix these things which tells me that this is an intentional act.

All 2K cares about is the VC system, everything they do is for us to waste more of real world currency and to protect their VC system. Its a shame because this could be a great game if the company wasn't so greedy.
  61. Sep 25, 2017
    I bought this game thinking that I would enjoy the full 2k18 experience.. unfortunately I was in for a big surprise. It appears that 2k thinks that their customers enjoy spending hundreds of dollars extra on their 60$ game, otherwise I cannot explain why they chose this 'free-to-play' like business model for a AAA game. The grind is just ridiculous and it reached a point when it is obviousI bought this game thinking that I would enjoy the full 2k18 experience.. unfortunately I was in for a big surprise. It appears that 2k thinks that their customers enjoy spending hundreds of dollars extra on their 60$ game, otherwise I cannot explain why they chose this 'free-to-play' like business model for a AAA game. The grind is just ridiculous and it reached a point when it is obvious that they are not thinking on how to make their games more enjoyable.. they just want you to spend huge amounts in order to unlock the full experience.
    I am a huge 2k fan and it is a shame to see that they have reached such a low point with their games. There seems to be very little improvement from last years game and the my Career mode is truly broken. There is no replayability at all, player progress has become the most insane grind in the series ( no difficulty multiplier this time around) and the customization items in the game are impossible for me to get without investing a small fortune in VC currency (this includes the moves of your myPlayer mind you).

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone , not at 60$ at least... this is just a cash grab and the developer actually managed to remove the 'fun' from game.

Not worth the full price! 2/10
  62. Sep 23, 2017
    This is a classic case of no competition equals worse product scenario. Due to NBA 2k being the only "decent" Basketball video game on the market currently has lead to a developer/publisher knowing they can get away with shady business practices. Micro transactions around cosmetics is one thing (and not a big deal in my opinion) but micro transactions that are designed around allowingThis is a classic case of no competition equals worse product scenario. Due to NBA 2k being the only "decent" Basketball video game on the market currently has lead to a developer/publisher knowing they can get away with shady business practices. Micro transactions around cosmetics is one thing (and not a big deal in my opinion) but micro transactions that are designed around allowing you to skip large chunks of a game tell me that your game isn't worth playing to begin with. Maybe some gamers have hundreds of hours free to grind away at NBA 2K18 but I don't, and I am certainly not going to spend 20 dollars per hour skipped. My advice would be to vote with your wallets and send a message to developers that this kind of nonsense isn't ok. 40 years from now I don't want to watch my grand children play a game with these kinds of micro transactions and then tell them "I watched these kinds of micro transactions flood the market and I supported them 100%" lol :-) Look, if you are fine with this crap then by all means pay away. Or buy the game but not micro transactions. Either way you will come across someone who DID pay for stats and you may be left in the dust. I beg my fellow gamers to not make the same mistake I did and pay for this game. Expand
  63. Sep 22, 2017
    Key fundamental parts of the game are broken (layups). My 86 ovr 6'4 slashing sg misses wide open layups consistently. I have played 2k religiously over the past 5-6 years and never did I expect to experience this. I didn't listen to all the haters and I'm regretting it now.
  64. Sep 26, 2017
    No opening CG? Seriously? The visual concept team must have been working on the switch version so hard that they do not even have time to make one.

I purchased the steam version as well as the switch version, and I generally like the switch version since I have been looking forward to an NBA game on the go for a long time. The PC high-end version, nah. It is a clear money grab, no opening CG, no changes for the player profiles, and the MC story is the worst for the last couple of years, reminds me of the pre-2k 14 days of this game.

Besides the limited effort the develop team put in this game, I have the feeling that if you are a person who has a normal life, you wouldn't even have enough time to play this thing. It requires so much grinding otherwise you need to buy and spend VC on literally everything. Even if you upgrade your character via tons of VCs you would still miss easy layups, like you are controlling a kindergarten player but not an NBA player. In the end, you still need to grind and grind to get those badges to ensure your layups...

I mean, I totally understand 2K wants the players to hook up more with this game, but man, I have my own life, and I just want to play a video game, to do what I could not do in the real life. I surely can miss layups a lot, no need to recreate that feeling in a video game.
  65. Sep 25, 2017
    this is just wrong to pay for a game which try to milk you from the first moment. it used to be bad but this year it has crossed the line. it feels like the industry went to far with robbing our money. nowadays you pay for an half game in the best case senerio and 2K took it above and beyond. Urrrr
  66. Sep 27, 2017
    money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money . thats the only important in this game...GIVE YOU MONEY money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money moneymoney money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money
  67. Sep 23, 2017
    Free to play game mechanics for 69.99 €. The good gameplay that exists,has no value since you cannot experience it ,unless you commit to microtransactions.The game was so heavily downgraded in order to steer us to VC purchasing that my career mode is honestly unplayable if you don't pay for VC. I wish i could refund.Seriously stay away unless you intend to spend money in VC.
  68. Oct 30, 2017
    Same gameplay from last year, very bad story. Most of all 2K is very greed, everything need to buy VC. U can get VC but it take forever. 1 hair cut u need +/- 1000 VC and that hair cut u can't preview before you buy it, so if u don't like it u need to buy another hair cut. I already spend $60 to buy this game & 2K want us to spend more to do almost everything in this game. Don't buy thisSame gameplay from last year, very bad story. Most of all 2K is very greed, everything need to buy VC. U can get VC but it take forever. 1 hair cut u need +/- 1000 VC and that hair cut u can't preview before you buy it, so if u don't like it u need to buy another hair cut. I already spend $60 to buy this game & 2K want us to spend more to do almost everything in this game. Don't buy this game unless you want to waste your money. Expand
  69. Sep 25, 2017
    They are abandoning users who were loyal to them, users who like basketball, who see it daily and who loved the franchise for what they had achieved in degrees of realism and immersion .. And for me, that is biting the hand that gives you food ..

NBA 2K18? NO! NBA VC18...
  70. Sep 25, 2017
    This game is a well crafted game. Beautiful graphics, fantastic gameplay, great animations. The problem lies in the Virtual Currency. This kind of thing is unacceptable. Literally.
  71. Sep 25, 2017
    Greed kills. VC has ruined this game and in the process the developers haven't done anything but make the gameplay worse.
    Lots of broken aspects and modes, also there's a scripted rubber band effect in place that makes the losing team catch up even if it's human vs human. DO NOT BUY.
  72. Sep 26, 2017
    Microtransactions ruin the career mode. The predatory way they were implemented is disgusting. Look up the review on Kotaku for a fairly complete list of how they try to force you to give them more money. Do not buy this game. 2K has lost my faith completely and unless they change I will not be giving this company another cent.
  73. Sep 26, 2017
    Please if you are reading this do not waste your money on this game! I'm trying to save you money that you don't know you're being roped into spending! The use of micro transactions in the game seem hypocritical because the community knows that 2K doesn't need this money badly. The company of 2K threw this huge thing in New York City where they invited youtubers to come and stay for freePlease if you are reading this do not waste your money on this game! I'm trying to save you money that you don't know you're being roped into spending! The use of micro transactions in the game seem hypocritical because the community knows that 2K doesn't need this money badly. The company of 2K threw this huge thing in New York City where they invited youtubers to come and stay for free in a seemingly expensive hotel and were given free Nintendo Switches and shoes. So it's hard the justify the need for micro transactions at every turn here. Here are some of the places where micro transactions are placed in crucial parts of the game. Mycareer is a mode where you control a player that you can make look and potentially play like you do. But you have to spend VC in order to even make your basic player do basic things anyone in the nba can do like make layups. You may be one of those people like me who thinks that you can just grind past those micro transactions and of course it is certainly possible but I recently so something that showed someone had done the math and it'll take you 200+ games to get to a max character! Ask yourself if you personally have that much time to spend on a game. Something else you may be thinking is "So what I have to pay a few extra buck, I'm willing to do that." Well if you want to pay to upgrade your player to it's cap of 85 you'll have to pay $100+. And I can't forget to mention how they upped the price for multiple things that make your player unique like hair, tattoos, and clothing. Myteam the other most popular game mode and you'll start the game out with not very good cards. This makes sense, because obviously it wouldn't make sense for people to start the game with the best cards. But compared to last yeah and the year before they give significantly less MT (the currency for just this game mode). This is an incentive for people to buy VC and open packs, but unlike in mycareer where you are guaranteed a good player, here you only have a chance to get a good player. I've seen many youtubers who use the money they make from making 2K videos putting that money back into the game which is their choice of course but it shows their viewers how much of a rip off these packs are. The last mode I'll talk about is Play Now Online where you pick one team and play with that team against other people online based off which "league" you are in. This mode is generally fun and I do quite enjoy it and what stops this game from being a 0 is the fact that 2K added all time teams and a whole bunch more historic teams which is much appreciated. And when I was playing the mode last year I didn't notice this but it's possible the micro transactions were in there, but this year I've noticed you can buy wins. How on earth is this even a thing. Before I forget to mention, a player earns more VC the higher the league they are in. So this means a person can just pay to earn more money??? It's hard to wrap my head around this idea which basically raises it's middle finger to people who grind their way into the higher leagues. Okay that's enough complaining on just the micro transactions (If you want to know more basically just read the other user reviews). Time to get into the game play for this year. There are people who complained that 2K 17's game play was garbage. To be honest I was one of those people. There were so many different things wrong with that game. Then NBA LIVE 18 came out and people said the same thing except that this game play was worse than 2K 17's. Ironically, NBA 2K 18's game play now feels similar to NBA LIVE 18's. The dribbling feels much more stiff than last year and now when I pass I feel like the ball almost never goes to the person it was supposed to go to. I've compared the issues with this years iteration of the game and last years and it seems that with every step forward that 2K took forward by fixing a game play flaw that the community complained about last year, they went and messed something else up that made things worse. I found myself not having a life because I could play the game for 10+ hours at a time but now after a game or two I need to take a break and do something different because the game play can be that unbearable sometimes. Don't even mention the story that is unbearable and awful to watch. Plus there's the fact that you can't skip it. The audacity to not allow people to skip a story that is garbage to compared to amazing games that have a game thats story is amazing but you can skip it bewilders me. Last but not least is the lag. Plain and simple it can makes the game unplayable. I know that my game lags not because of me 1, because other online games don't lag in nearly the same way and 2, because I hear the same complaints from lots of other people. I can't add any points to the score because is it better? No. Is it worse? Yeah. Maybe the 1 is an overreaction but at the same time I find myself arguing with myself saying "How is it an overreaction?" Expand
  74. Sep 27, 2017
    Everyone who plays this game is saying the exact same thing - "it feels like it should be a free to play game".

If you are a "casual gamer" with 1-2 hours of playtime after your workday you will feel like you would do nearly no progress in any of the game modes. (I play MyTeam and MyPlayer) MyPlayer doesn't even allow you to earn your reputation globally for multiple chars like last

MyPlayer doesn't even allow you to earn your reputation globally for multiple chars like last year.
    This results into a situation where you cant help out your mates with different builds because you are forced to spent a whole lot of money without even progressing overall...

Im from germany so please apologize my english writing skills.
  75. Sep 27, 2017
    I've been supporting nba 2K game for the last 5-6 years, but with 2k18 they crossed the red line. I'm extremely disapointed. This is by far the worst nba 2k game ever. Lot of bugs and gliches on any of the game modes, online play is terrible, 2K servers sucks, their support department is a joke and of course you have to pay ridiculous amount of VC for everything in MyCareer (1,500 VC for aI've been supporting nba 2K game for the last 5-6 years, but with 2k18 they crossed the red line. I'm extremely disapointed. This is by far the worst nba 2k game ever. Lot of bugs and gliches on any of the game modes, online play is terrible, 2K servers sucks, their support department is a joke and of course you have to pay ridiculous amount of VC for everything in MyCareer (1,500 VC for a hair cut? c'mon guys). They removed everything good in the game and ruined it. Don't count on me next year 2K, this is the last time I buy your game. Expand
  76. Sep 27, 2017
    If you want a game that screws you over and reaches out for your pocket wallet with microtransactions, this is the game for you. Not only do you pay full retail price for this, you also pay to unlock the full game. It's basically free to play without being free.
  77. Sep 28, 2017
    This is the worst basketball game to ever be released. 2k went from great, to spike leer rock bottom to the absolute definition of hell. After Lee I figured career mode and GM mode could only get better, but forget racism, this is way worse then racism, this game is ass.
  78. Sep 27, 2017
    This shame of a game is just a 2k17 reskin with horendous microtransactions from a company that will not see the color of my money until highlander dies.

And it's not even f2p.
  79. Sep 27, 2017
    Im tired for this micro transactions system 2k adopted,what is the next in nba 2k19,we will have to pay 1000 VC for toilet paper when u got use the restroom and needed clean the butt..this game is garbage for me now...I guess we needed start supporting nba live18
  80. Oct 2, 2017
    They shove VC down your throat! It's a great game that was simply ruined with a pay to win method! They ruined a pretty much great game otherwise...
  81. Sep 26, 2017
    This Deserves nothing more than 0 because of outrageous use of Cancer of the gaming industry: micro-transactions.
    Do not buy this game! Do not support this kind of BS greedy money collection!
  82. Sep 23, 2017
    jeez 2k if you really want the money charge $100 for the standard game and remove microtransactions entirely. this game screams cash grab more than recently released mobile games.

- cant preview haircuts before purchasing, have to buy haircuts again if you change your mind - no extra vc for higher difficulty settings - grind is so bad that community is turning to glitches to get vc -

- no extra vc for higher difficulty settings
    - grind is so bad that community is turning to glitches to get vc
    - clothing purchased not transferable between myplayer characters
    - dunk packages, clothing, dribble moves etc. locked behind progression, means you can only buy the crap stuff before the good stuff, you have to save up again for the good stuff when you reach the required level

safe to say, i will not be buying nba2k for the foreseeable future
  83. Sep 24, 2017
    Micro transactions micro transactions micro transactions micro transactions micro transactions micro transactions micro transactions micro transactions micro transactions micro transactions
  84. Sep 24, 2017
    if you can't afford to pay for Virtual Currency and don't have time to grind then this game is not for you, I've been playing NBA2K for years and never felt cheated like this.
  85. Sep 25, 2017
    nba 2k 18 reach a new level of micro-transaction, the problem is you have to buy with 70€ for play f2p, p2w my carrier mode disgusting, im out i dont buy anything from 2k never again
  86. Sep 25, 2017
    Between the unskippable cutscenes, having to buy everything with virtual currency, getting less currency than before while everything costs more than before, numerous bugs and glitches, and brain-dead gameplay design decisions, this year's 2K is by far the worst in a long, long time. You can't even use a custom roster for MyCareer. I personally haven't run into a lot of the issues withBetween the unskippable cutscenes, having to buy everything with virtual currency, getting less currency than before while everything costs more than before, numerous bugs and glitches, and brain-dead gameplay design decisions, this year's 2K is by far the worst in a long, long time. You can't even use a custom roster for MyCareer. I personally haven't run into a lot of the issues with crashes or losing VC after games but given the sheer number of people complaining, it's astounding they let this release in this state. Guess that's what happens when you have virtually no competition. Sadly, none of these issues will likely be addressed considering some of them seem to be conscious decisions on the publisher's part. Even sadder is the fact that 2k won't learn from this because they have our money and that's all they seem to care about now. RIP in pieces, NBA 2K. Expand
  87. Oct 12, 2017
    Es un abuso de las empresas poner micropagos para todo. Se fijan en los usuarios que no se informan por x motivos que aun son miles. El próximo juego vendrá con otra aberración más.

In English:
    It is an abuse of companies to put micropayments for everything. They focus on users who are not informed by x reasons that are still thousands. The next game will come with another aberration.
  88. Sep 27, 2017
    It is so effing sleazy what 2k did to this game. As someone who thought I'd be buying NBA 2k every year($60 / year no big deal) count me out. No more 2k games ever.
  89. Sep 27, 2017
    You're paying $60 for a ad-filled game with unskippable cutscenes loading with microtransactions reminiscent of a f2p mobile game. I'm sorry 2K but YOU DONE **** IT UP. Totally regret buying from this **** dev, do the right thing and dunk your game into the trashbin, I would give this game negative score if I could.
  90. Oct 1, 2017
    This game should stand as an example of what we may be facing in a few years if we don't stop the growing microtransactions in games. NBA 2k18 is actually a well made polished RPG that provides a much more robust experience than any other sports game on the market. That being said, the developers intentionally keep all of the content behind a massive paywall. The grind to get from 60-75This game should stand as an example of what we may be facing in a few years if we don't stop the growing microtransactions in games. NBA 2k18 is actually a well made polished RPG that provides a much more robust experience than any other sports game on the market. That being said, the developers intentionally keep all of the content behind a massive paywall. The grind to get from 60-75 (the lowest overall you can have while still maintaining a semblance of entertainment ) is absolutely staggering. At this low overall your character is basically worthless and you are forced to spend your entire time playing trying to get assists or set screens to get points to upgrade your character. To make matters even worse the developer has chosen to remove the lowest difficulty setting from the game in MyCareer. This makes the 60-75 grind much more miserable than in years past. Nobody wants to spend 100+ hours shooting Expand
  91. Oct 6, 2017
    I'm 36 years old and this is by far the worst sports game i've ever bought in my life. Never bought a game so full of bugs, glitches, problems.
    Getting "db18fc2c" error code in Ps4 nowadays and i can't access myteam for almost 10 days. 2k support doesnt seem to exist. You see the user score here, it perfectly reflects how bad this game is.
  92. Oct 5, 2017
    Just terrible. The need to spend money to play is at an all time high. 2k has found a way to make MyTeam even worse this year then the last two installments! Pack and Playoffs are terrible. Not to mention plenty of glitches to go with it. Save yourself the $60 you'd have to pay to play this and want to rip your hair out after. Terrible product 2k, listen to your COMMUNITY!
  93. Nov 30, 2017
    Worst NBA2k game to date a game where pro players miss layups constantly, no one can shoot consistently but the AI,long load times, way too many cut scenes, a definite PAY TO PLAY concept to play this game everything cost you money, if this is the future of gaming, I’m going back to playing the Nientendo games.
  94. Sep 27, 2017
    Complete waste of my hard earned money. A premium pricetag for a half-assed done game, so many effin' bugs and glitches. And don't even let me start on on the Player progression on MyCareer mode, there is no fun on this mode, grinding on and on just to even buy an overpriced in game shoes wtf? And where the hell is the fix for the disappearing VC bug? you gonna sleep on that too 2k? yourComplete waste of my hard earned money. A premium pricetag for a half-assed done game, so many effin' bugs and glitches. And don't even let me start on on the Player progression on MyCareer mode, there is no fun on this mode, grinding on and on just to even buy an overpriced in game shoes wtf? And where the hell is the fix for the disappearing VC bug? you gonna sleep on that too 2k? your player remains trash if you dont spend real money - but why? you already paid premium price for the whole game which is not even polished oh my god. Expand
  95. Sep 29, 2017
    This is one of the best sportsimulation games out there. but wf...
    MT for a CHF 80.00 game, seriously ? pay2win is an absolute insolence. its not a free2play game. it is a pay (more)to play game

Think about your business practices and your fans
  96. Sep 30, 2017
    I've bought this game every year for the past 7 years, and here I am a couple weeks after the release of this game and I don't want to play it. 2K forgot that people pay $60 for a game in order to have FUN. I didn't buy the game to work a job, or 'grind'. I have a job already that paid for the game which is supposed to be FUN. Remember?

What did I get for my $60? Nothing but frustration

What did I get for my $60? Nothing but frustration at every turn. Definitely, not FUN. 2K purposefully took every aspect of the game that remotely made it FUN and put it behind ANOTHER pay wall.

Want to create the next Jordan or Shaq? Nope, not gonna happen unless you pay more $$$. You could play 300+ games at 20 minutes each to get your player to the level of a 6th man off the bench. Follow that up with another couple hundred games and you might be close to being the next GOAT. But seriously, who's going to slog thru all those games just to get to the point of where the FUN happens? I mean, I could be wrong, but didn't I just pay $60 to have FUN from day 1?

I gave them my money on the release date, but I'm not allowed to have FUN until later (unless I give them more money for the privilege of course). Who agreed to that deal? I didn't. This game has gone from a must buy every year to a don't bother. If you're interested in FUN then please keep your $60 and spend it on something else. You won't get any fun out of this game at that price.
  97. Oct 16, 2017
    This is the moment a company who has for the longest time been the pinnacle of their market become too comfortable at the top and immediately topple of the weight of their own arrogance. 2k18, while having a pretty good foundation to build upon, dilutes its own legitimacy with the stomach wrenching, head shaking, bombardment of greed we have seen in a sports game.

Gameplay: In 2k's

Gameplay:
    In 2k's fairness, the gameplay for the most part is intact. The game is playable, and much to its reputation, still is the most immersive sports game on the market. The time and detail added to the environments and atmosphere has always been a strong point for the series, and it is no different this year either. Controls are for the most part the same as the last installment, a healthy break from 2K's annoying habit of rebinding controls every year for the player to figure out. there are still problems to be had. AI is still pretty easy to exploit, and there is a head scratching inconsistency in the difficulty of the game. On one possession, the CPU will be pinned to you to the point where any movement will result in the fumbling of the ball (annoying because of its numerous occurrences), and other times, it will not react to a single move you do, allowing an easy bucket. Scratch that, you will probably miss the layup because of a confusion that occurred with the game. The "Layup problem" is probably already known to those who have delved into this game, but for those who still havent bought the game, you may have heard of this "layup problem." It actually isnt really a problem, but rather a miscommunication that occurred. Many players believed that the layup/floater system was returned to the automatic setting that we have seen in 2K16, this was not the case however, as the layup/floater system retained the model used in last year's iteration. Basically one must play the layup like a jump shot, successfully filling the shot meter in order to get that perfect release. The stupid part of all this is the game has no shot meter for the layup, so unless you know you are supposed to try and time it like last year on an invisible shot meter, the game pretty much bricked every attempt you did.

MyCareer:
    A dumpster fire from start to finish. While many people often complain that 2K's storylines and cutscenes are bad, they did have a certain level of charm to them. A story that revolves around your journey to become the GOAT. This year, the narrative has been replaced with advertisements. There are still cutscenes, but the story pretty much ends once you get signed to a team. The rest of the cutscenes, and there are alot of them, are simply excuses to advertise some product to you (and not a subtle way). Whether it be a cutscene about how much your roommate love Reese's Puffs, which there are 3 separate cutscenes for, a cutscene completely dedicated to JBL headphones or the Iphone, A cutscene that ends with the infamous line "come on, let's go get a pepsi," or the constant reference to trash music such as Yatchy, Uzi Vert, Wayne, etc. This isn't even the end either, the game will also harass you with constant non-choices such as asking whether you want to bring your gatorade with you to an interview (which will continue to ask regardless of yes or no), whether or not you like Reese's Puffs (both answers are yes), or if you enjoy Mtn Dew (in which the answer is either yes or it's my favorite). To make matters worse, the cutscenes are not skippable, so you must sit through every single one of these glorified advertisements before being allowed to play the actual game, which will also have ads for "authenticity." To continue to make matters worse, everyone in the game is unlikable. Your player is a conceited airhead, your roommate is an annoying leech, the staff are all just different levels of annoying, mean, or just plain stupid, and other than 1 or 2 people, everyone is trash.

MyGM:
    MyGM has taken the road of MyCareer with a new story mode that is included with the mode. The story itself suffers from similar issues the MC story does in that everyone is unlikable. In addition to all this, the characters themselves are all passive-aggressive, so these "cutscenes" are cringy as all hell. Other than that, MyGM i would say is an actual improvement to its predecessor last year, so this would be something to definitely check out.

Online:
    The truly disappointing part of the game. The servers are still slow and utterly garbage as we have come to expect. There are no more cities to rep, rather being replaced with the single neighborhood which I actually quite enjoy, but all the events are sponsored (another advertisement for you to watch), and they don't even work. There plenty of videos on YouTube about how disastrous these events. VC earnings have been cut down so it takes even longer to win what you need to upgrade your abilities, and increasing difficulty no longer gives you a multiplier so playing on Hall of Fame holds no reward.
  98. Oct 14, 2017
    Worst 2k ever. The sad part is you can't even state everything wrong with the game in 5000 characters. Everything is broken, everything costs way too much money. 2k is flat out ignoring the consumers wants. Everyone wants to make demigods, they give us role players with predetermined badges, and we can't even pick where our stats go. A 99 overall MyCareer player is equivalent to about anWorst 2k ever. The sad part is you can't even state everything wrong with the game in 5000 characters. Everything is broken, everything costs way too much money. 2k is flat out ignoring the consumers wants. Everyone wants to make demigods, they give us role players with predetermined badges, and we can't even pick where our stats go. A 99 overall MyCareer player is equivalent to about an 80 overall in any other mode. The neighbourhood is the worst idea ever and a colossal waste of time. For those saying the gameplay is improved I don't see it. Players can't catch the ball, can't dunk as often as you want, miss wide open layups, a ton of players phasing through defenders in the paint, have to put up with completely unrealistic bump animations where the defender will literally shove you back a couple feet and it's inexplicably not a foul. Very frustrating. They are trying to toe the line between sim and arcade basketball, and failing at both in my opinion. I believe the way that 2k is trying to cater to the E-league is killing the experience for the majority of fans. We don't want 80 overalls, we don't want to pay $50 every new build. I don't want a "build" period. If 2k is gonna is gonna be so restrictive on the stats, just give us pre built players to play online with and make MyCareer fun again. If I could grind for a true 99 overall, my god that's a MyCareer worth playing. Why can't I earn every HOF badge in the game? If I grind one player for a whole year, why can't that player be a god? Why does 2k have to pick my stats and my badges for me? I understand they want a competitive balance and want stick skills to shine though, but in the process they've sucked all fun and purpose from the game. It has quite literally become a chore to play. Last year 2k never left my PS4, this year I'm already looking for something else to play. Expand
  99. Oct 1, 2017
    i don't usually write reviews but 2k games need to be taken down and be humbled since they have been ruling the basketball scene for years they got lazy and greedy. they push microtransactions to the max everything in the game you have to buy day one you to pay for 3k for a haircut. my player keeps missing open shots jump shots and lay ups. and the games feel rigged the game does its besti don't usually write reviews but 2k games need to be taken down and be humbled since they have been ruling the basketball scene for years they got lazy and greedy. they push microtransactions to the max everything in the game you have to buy day one you to pay for 3k for a haircut. my player keeps missing open shots jump shots and lay ups. and the games feel rigged the game does its best to make you loose the game we are up by 25 they sub my and when i get back in the we are suddenly loosing by 20 and they expect me to win it in 2 minutes. stealing is impossible in this game if you so much as attempt they call foul on you. if you do not have a ps4 pro certain modes in game such as am pro or park there is so much lag it's not even enjoyable to play this game. most of the bugs i encounter are inside the gym so far like when i talk to my trainer he shrinks and turns in to a koopa from the the super mario movie. and after the drills sometimes the game will bug and the effort i put in the game is for nothing. this years nba 2k game is nothing but a cash grab playing off fan loyalty. please stay away and save your money. Expand
  100. Oct 5, 2017
    The grind for the game is purposefully intended to be painstakingly long and boring. They do it so they can push you to pay for VC, without VC you cannot be good at the game. This game is paid to win and the game company has a scam mindset.

1. Jan 28, 2018
    Basketball fans, NBA 2K18 is your new best friend… until the next fall.
  2. Nov 26, 2017
    In no way is NBA 2K18 a bad game, but it's certainly not worth its current price-tag, as the few improvements it offers are simply not enough, and, secondly, its sub-par single-player portion relies too much on micro-transactions.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Nov 20, 2017
    A beautiful, exciting representation of the sport. You'd be hard pushed to find a better, more accurate simulation of basketball on a modern console. [December 2017, p.82]