2.5

1. Sep 13, 2018
    EDIT: Changing score to 6 after 3 full days of playing. Tried to play a Rec game and pro am game with my friends for the past 5 hours. Only had 2 games in those moments. Same thing like last year, game modes fail to work properly and the game hasn't even been released yet. Crashes happen way too often.

EDIT2: Okay, so 2K just stealth patched the game to dramatically reduce the amount of exp points you get a game. For any company doing this, most would release a statement of some sort. This is extremely shady and makes me wonder what else they stealth "fix" without any of the player base finding out. They have changed it more after the backlash and reaching front page on reddit. I am sure the changes would have stayed if that didn't happen. I've seen so much greed, predatory nature, and shadiness from 2K so I shouldn't be surprised right? Sadly, I am. How a triple A company can succumb to such leeching tactics from players of all ages and how nobody has the power to stop them. Guys this is a rated E game and they essentially have a game mode where you can gamble the "Virtual Currency." The only notable difference from this and a casino is that the house ALWAYS wins. Very optimistic about the game when I played it 4 days early. It seems like they used that as research method on how to maximize profits and "quietly" modify everything on release date. I'm reducing score to 4, this is disgusting. 2K, please take notes from Blizzard and how they handle patch notes and responding to fanbase.

I only gave one review in my life, which was last years NBA 2K18, and I gave it a 0 from how many things were wrong with it. The obsessive bugs and predatory was rampant more than ever last year and it was to the point of being distracting and anger-inducing. It was an extreme grind to get your character where you wanted it and the cutscenes were awful. I am glad to say that this year has made great improvements.

Many have agreed that this year's 2K has the best story, and best of all, it's skippable. Thank the **** lord. The gameplay is smoother than ever and low-skill players are punished for bad dribbling and ball protection, instead of having the ball on a string like last year. Everything feels more fluid.

While the predatory VC tactics are back again this year, it has turned the dial from 11 to a 7. I can't say they've changed much because they release a special edition that allows for the game to be played 4 days earlier with some bonuses - I think they are just trying to minimize outrage. That being said, it's much easier to earn VC this year and more items are not as expensive or free.

You can't have 2K without it's glitches. Some modes won't work (rec center) and game crashes pretty often. Still, loading times are quicker than ever and it seems to be the most polished one so far. You can tell that 2K cheaped out a bit by bringing the exact same assets from past 2Ks straight into this one.

One big complaint I had last year was about the neighborhood and how spread out everything was. This year it's all centralized and closer, which is nice, but I still much rather prefer menus for everything.

Overall, I am very impressed with the changes. But improving from 2K18 may just be an act of actually trying a little to make a game. I hope they can keep doing this moving forward and minimize the pay-to-win tactics.
  2. Sep 8, 2018
    Buggy mess full of microtransactions. Every year people blindly pre-order this game and every year they shaft us...
  3. Sep 9, 2018
    I’ve been playing NBA 2K since 2k3 and I always loved the game but I feel like 16 was the last good game they released, Im one of the players that loves playing PlayNow Online with classic teams and this year instead of adding the players some teams missed they removed some that were already in the game, each team has basically a rotation of 6 or 7 players. The My Career mode is trash, whyI’ve been playing NBA 2K since 2k3 and I always loved the game but I feel like 16 was the last good game they released, Im one of the players that loves playing PlayNow Online with classic teams and this year instead of adding the players some teams missed they removed some that were already in the game, each team has basically a rotation of 6 or 7 players. The My Career mode is trash, why do I need to start playing inn China? WHy everything I want to do ask me to buy VC? This game really feel so like a copy of the last one, don’t buy it if you care about your money. No more 2K for me. Expand
  4. Sep 9, 2018
    Paid for the 20th Year Anniversary edition and boy did I need it (for the extra VC to make mycareer player viable)

I enjoyed the Prelude story of the MyCareer, sadly after the prelude the career mode quickly dies. The prelude itself can be skipped and even at that, it lasts a very short period of time, you could probably complete it a couple of hours including the matches you have to play.

After the prelude the mycareer just dies, cutscenes are non existent, you get repetitive, generic interviews at halftime and end game with the same two option one question interviewer.

Nothing happens, sim games to the end of the season get 0 VC
    Play every game without paying to win (upgrading your stats with the VC bundles) you will be in for a very long and boring grind, struggling to do anything against anyone.

The Mycareer mode is filled with pay to win micro transactions, I bought the anniversary edition so I could play the game early(before release) and I’m glad I did as I had a long weekend.

I enjoyed playing the game, but you must invest real money to purchase VC to make your mycareer player viable otherwise you would be grinding badges and VC for atleast 5 full NBA seasons (over 400 full matches) before your player could match the ratings of the NBA.

The grind is far too slow in this game, I made it to the end of the prelude at 75 rating and was going up against 90+ rated players in the playoff games, they stick to you like glue even on the easiest difficulty, I went from 30+ point games in the prelude to struggling to make 10point games in the NBA.

The AI in this game is also terrible, you have to manually run plays even when not playing the Point Guard position(there is an option to enable automatic offensive and defensive plays in the main menu, I highly recommend you turn it ON) otherwise you will be left with 5 stationary players doing nothing while you spam the pass button until you finally don’t get “call for pass ignored” (after your teammate rating takes a pummelling because you had to ask stationary Frankenstein to pass you the ball 8 times.

Games felt rigged during the playoffs, game 1 we would win easily shots when in, even enough game at times, we had better shots and pulled away.

Certain playoff games were just unwinnanble, teammates miss every shot, you can’t hit any shots.
    If you get close to winning you get subbed out and lose (or get subbed back in with a deficit) then your teammate turnovers the ball for no reason by dropping it or playing the most ridiculous pass you have ever seen to the opposing team.

Top tip go someone really really tall, the perks of being tall beat every position in the game.
    You cannot beat a tall player as a small player no matter what you do.

I invested in a 6”4 shooting guard and went into the “neighbourhood” to play some street hoops against other players, did a 2v2 against weaker opponents, they were both 7” foot + giants and you cannot stop them backing you down and scoring in the paint (cannot) if you see two big guys on the court and you are smaller, just find another court.

The shot feedback is terrible, you must need gold badges to become an efficient shooter (I wouldn’t know, you need about 1000 games to get gold badges)

Excellent release gets you a bucket every time.
    Anything else is less than 50/50 even when you are open
    Have a 90 shot 3pt shooter and I struggle to get 50% from 3pt land with open shots with slightly early/late just ridiculous.

The outfits and accessories you can buy are pretty basic and cost VC (and a lot of it)
    Costs 4000 for a tank top

Can’t change shot type unless you go to the neighbourhood, a major pain, no area to test the individual jumpshots before you select it, you have to go to neighbourhood(1 minute load screen), pause, select my player, select animations, set the jump shot, head to the practice arena(1 minute load screen), test the jumpshot, head back to the neighbourhood if you don’t like it(1 min load screen)

Load times are pretty bad in all aspects of the game as well.
    Loading into a game takes about a minute, including the 2k pregame show (shaq, ernie) which becomes repetitive after 3 games, that you have to watch for about 20 seconds before the match loads to allow you to skip.

Then every foul, out of bounds, sub takes about 10 seconds to skip. Hitting X like previous games seems to have a timeout delay where you have to wait at least 5 seconds before you can skip the break in play(no matter what) a key place you can see this is during timeouts, it has an onscreen “team name timeout timer 60 seconds” timer that you cannot skip until it hits 53 seconds, hitting X before 55 results in nothing happening.

Either way I wish this game was better, watching videos and the hype by streamers/personalities made me buy it early, but they all got VC boosts to make their players the highest rating so they were basically “paid to win”
  5. Sep 8, 2018
    Good: Seem to earn a bit more VC from games, Haircuts are free. Load times are faster. Skip-able cut scenes. Story not as bad as last year. Nice how you can change clothes without going to mycourt. Training makes more sense for badges.

Bad: No "rookie" difficulty in Mycareer again. Controls seem lagged at times. Moving player feels like piloting a boat at times. AI still steps through you/around you with ease when you are defending yet when on offence you can't move anywhere without the usual player defense gravity BS where they stick to you like flies on **** One button press to intercept can send you halfway across the court. Trying to steal is like playing rugby where your guy grabs the other player, often 3 seconds after the fact. Bump steals are NOT fixed. Catch a rebound and drop the ball if anyone is within range, assuming you actually get the rebound. Seems weird at times. Pushing up on the stick when defending sends you out of the way rather than just raising your arms. You and your team still commit dumb passes that defy logic. Throw passes to your open team mates and they brick all the time. Shame the AI doesn't miss. TOO HARD FOR THE CASUAL PLAYER.

Note: I watched a lot of youtubers/streamers and suspect they have pretty much been paid off with events/head scans and attention from Devs. Taints everything they say. I don't believe them. The fact Ronnie etc avoided answering some of the questions tells you everything. I would have probably still bought the game, but no respect for the fact they were not up front about certain things. Like NO ROOKIE MODE.

The casual player might as well forget about it. This game is for the hard core.

Overall frustrating. Not as fun as it should be.
  6. Sep 8, 2018
    Always grinding, they say they already scale back the VC, but by how much ?? 1% ?? I play my career it very frustating to get the VC, it almost impossible to play using VC in game. The design us to make purchase the VC, what do you want me to do ? Buy $65 AAA game and spend another $50 just to get 85 overall, you nutt, don't buy this game
  7. Sep 8, 2018
    An unnecessary and supidly-long grind fest, coupled with microtransactions the publishers are actually publicly defending (o,O?), ruin any and all possible fun this game might've had at inception.
  8. Sep 9, 2018
    Been a huge fan of NBA 2K since 2006, so let's get that out of the way. For you real OGs that play NBA 2k without a shot meter, let me break it down for you.
    1. The MyPlayer is dreadful. I have no idea why they are so determined to waste time with the terrible cut scenes. Even with the skipping mechanism, there are constant delays and the interface has been in decline for years.
    2. Microtransactions. You thought EA was bad? For this reason alone, do not purchase this game. Do not allow these developers to destroy the industry with pay to play BS, after you have already dropped $65 on a game. Do yourself and gamers everywhere a huge favor and wait for this game to go on a major sale. Do not give 2k your money until they wise up. Log in and drop a negative review until they start giving hoopers the experience they deserve. They are literally pleading with their fans to support microtransactions in the German version of 2k, because the German government has assessed the extra "lootboxes" to be complete BS, which they are!
  9. Sep 8, 2018
    Dont buy it!! Buggy mess full of micro-transactions !! Avoid this game!! Once again dont buy it!
  10. Sep 18, 2018
    A game with great potential which is unfortunately ruined by a predatory use of microtransacitions. Every mode which includes microtransactions feel like a grind and lacks a balanced and natural progression. The game also feels like a big commercial platform for itself that constantly tries to get you to spend more money.

The things that’s still good in this game are those modes that’s

The things that’s still good in this game are those modes that’s not affected by microtransactions. Taking control of a team and playing single player is still fun and it’s also great when playing with friends on the couch. This makes it an overall okay game but with very limited content. So in the end the microtransactions ruins what could have been an amazing game and turns it into a less than mediocre experience.
  11. Oct 19, 2018
    You have to be kidding me, does 2K pay the "professional" article writers to artificially inflate the Metacritic score? Constantly getting kicked from games, weak looking graphics, horrible music choice (pick a lane) and bad sound design / levels overall. I don't mind micro-transactions as much as most seem to, but the difference between "professional" reviews and those of us who play theYou have to be kidding me, does 2K pay the "professional" article writers to artificially inflate the Metacritic score? Constantly getting kicked from games, weak looking graphics, horrible music choice (pick a lane) and bad sound design / levels overall. I don't mind micro-transactions as much as most seem to, but the difference between "professional" reviews and those of us who play the game for fun is pretty drastic.

Metacritic is funny, you see a column of positive articles and tons of horrible user scores.
  12. Nov 16, 2018
    Not fun. Quite unresponsive controls, very arguable defense balance which affords you to push to the basket via ankle-breaking only, no matter how bigger, faster and stronger vs defender your attacker is.
    Atrocious defensive movement of your players (autoplays help but to a certain extent), lock-down defense no longer auto-triggers obstacle to shooting player as in 2k18, now you MUST jump with him and it's irritating. On-ball defense is again worse than in previous titles.
    I do not cover myCareer as I'm interested in myLeague/myGM stuff only and while gameplay is disappointing this year - had to de-install after 10 games.
    Very upset, even this year's NHL is better.
  13. Oct 12, 2018
    NBA 2K19 is without question one of the absolute worst games to ever touch my Playstation 4. This game is so broken and unfinished that it is hard to see why this game was released. It's sad when almost every single mode has a problem. We will go through each mode an examine the many problems.
    MyTeam: This mode is where 2K makes most of their money from and thus this is the mode that garners the most attention. It's basically: You pay, You win.

MyCareer: The "fan-favorite" story mode that has been garbage since 2K16. This year, the story is actually pretty good but once again the gameplay is trash. The games all feel scripted and pre-determined. The opponents play much better than they ever did in real life but the AI that are on your team play like blind idiots who have never touched a basketball a day in their life. They foul nonstop for no reason, they miss open shots excessively and they just seem to act like they are playing for the other team.

MyPark: Basically pay-to-win except controlling one player. You tend to notice that people with higher overalls tend to perform better game in and game out although you have similar attributes. 2K has brought back the overall rep system which is not a good idea. If people see that your overall is too high they will be scared to play against you and if they see that your overall is too low, they will be scared to play with you which makes it almost impossible to find a game. Something else that makes it impossible to find a game is the fact the number of people in an entire neighborhood is extremely misleading. It could say that 100 people are in the neighborhood but only 30 are playing Park. This is very annoying and is a good reason why the Park players and MyCareer players should be seperated

Jordan Rec Center: Good luck finding a game.

All Star Team Up: For some idiotic reason, the public All Star Team Up mode was removed but the private mode was included.

Play Now Online: This year, 2K has forced Play Now Online players to have more variety with what teams they are choosing. They have implemented a Tier system that groups teams based on overall and you have a limited number of choices with each tier. This is awful because no one likes being forced to play with teams that are trash or that they don't like. They were better off keeping the system from last year where you could pick any team and choose whether to go against a team in that same tier or against any team. The Classic Teams are basically unusable due to the massive drop in NBA players from the Classic Teams. Each team is pretty much the starting 5 and a bunch John Brown, John Smith bums. They also implemented a mode which allows you to control only player which will be used probably one time in total. I don't get what the purpose is.

MyLeague/MyGM: Copy and pasted from 2K18 with minor additions that may or may not matter depending on who you are

Other common problems include: Inconsistency with shooting, Shot contests having absolutely no effect, MyPlayers frequently being corrupted, and your account balance being shrinkened. I highly recommend you stay away from this game while it is full priced.
  14. Oct 7, 2018
    This year I got the 20th Year Anniversary edition for the 1st time when it 1st release I liked it and it was enjoyable until 9/11 when stupid Ronnie & 2K decreased the mycarrier points to make it look like the game is good I didn't notice until 9/15 and when I found out I was enraged and wrote a very angry tweet @ 2k on twitter and the fact that my team is still trash with shorter packThis year I got the 20th Year Anniversary edition for the 1st time when it 1st release I liked it and it was enjoyable until 9/11 when stupid Ronnie & 2K decreased the mycarrier points to make it look like the game is good I didn't notice until 9/15 and when I found out I was enraged and wrote a very angry tweet @ 2k on twitter and the fact that my team is still trash with shorter pack odds than EA so I am done with this trash game. My message to 2k and all those greed companies is to reformulate your games to not use mircotractions so much or face a boycott. Expand
  15. Nov 6, 2018
    En ataque, los tiros siguen la misma línea de las entregas pasadas: el acierto va en función
    de la precisión a la hora de soltar el botón y de la defensa que ejerza el defensor sobre nosotros, pero da la sensación de que ahora las insignias tienen una mayor importancia.

Jugadores como Klay Thompson pueden tirar por encima de defensas ajustadas sin que por ello perdamos efectividad, lo que hace que sintamos una gran diferencia cuando llevamos a un buen tirador.

La defensa ha sido uno de los ganadores en esta nueva revisión. Los jugadores se mueven de manera más ágil en los desplazamientos defensivos y es más sencillo poder moverse cuando nos están intentando anotar. Los robos son más fáciles de conseguir, y no se acusan tantas faltas como en años anteriores, en los que el intentar robar el balón provocaba una expulsión rápida.

Otro punto a destacar son los balones divididos. En pasadas ediciones los jugadores se quedaban sin saber qué hacer o cómo reaccionar. Algunos problemas con la IA producían situaciones divertidas incluso exasperantes si esto nos ocurría en momentos clave del partido. Da la sensación de que ahora los jugadores luchan mucho más en este tipo de situaciones.

Detalles, detalles y más detalles, es así como definiríamos la evolución a nivel jugable que ha sufrido esta saga a través de cada entrega.

Gráficos

Una manera de resumir el avance a nivel visual de NBA 2K19, es continuista: las consolas de hoy en día han llegado a su límite y podríamos decir que 2K se conforma con seguir a un buen nivel. Actualizar escaneos faciales de los jugadores, cambiar peinados, barbas de cada jugador... Pero el espectáculo visual sigue ahí, la ambientación de los pabellones sigue produciendo ese aura de estar disfrutando un partido televisado, con los abucheos de la afición, los aplausos de la grada y la cantidad de espectáculos ajenos al partido que caracterizan a la NBA.

Modos de juego

La variedad de modos dentro del juego es extensa, y hay modalidades para todo tipo de jugadores. Tenemos partidos rápidos, juegos en línea, Mi Carrera, Mi GM, Mi Equipo, El barrio.... Una amplia selección para que podamos escoger qué nos apetece más, si jugar partidas casuales, organizar una temporada con nuestro equipo favorito, coleccionar cartas, o empezar nuestra propia andadura por la NBA.

En el modo Mi Carrera, nuestro personaje es un jugador al que no le ha sonreído la suerte y deberá empezar su camino en el baloncesto profesional fuera de los grandes focos de la mejor liga del mundo. El guión, en esta ocasión, es algo más elaborado. Sin llegar a ser una producción de Hollywood, sí que encontramos a actores reconocidos dentro del juego que tienen un papel importante en el entorno de nuestro avatar.

Y ahora, un tema que ha generado polémica: el de los micropagos. Los micropagos han ido haciéndose un hueco poco a poco en cada edición, pero eso ha ido cambiando la experiencia en los distintos modos de juego, siendo cada vez más complicado relacionarse de manera natural con el producto. Los usuarios que paguen tendrán claras ventajas sobre los demás.

Conclusiones

NBA 2K19 es el máximo exponente en cuanto a simulación de baloncesto se refiere, pero no aporta nada completamente innovador a la fórmula. Una fórmula de gran calidad
    que sigue vigente, pero que se va desgastando año tras año.

En el caso de que sea tu primera entrega de la saga podrás disfrutarlo al máximo, pero para los seguidores acérrimos del sello 2K se encontrarán con un producto similar a los anteriores, muy pulido pero "demasiado familiar".
  16. Nov 24, 2018
    Don't buy this garbage, by far the worst basketball game ever. And I am not talking only about vc greed and bugs, gameplay is 0, game is so slow, unrealistic and frustrating. 2k18 was miles ahead of this ****
  17. Feb 8, 2019
    This game is just a giant mess, and it`s basically dead already. MyCareer is a giant cash grab, just like last year. Everything in MyCareer is branded and it is nothing but advertisement. When you go into the foot locker and leave the dude working there saying something like "Don't forget to download our app" In the middle of the game they advertise Gatorade. This game is nothing but aThis game is just a giant mess, and it`s basically dead already. MyCareer is a giant cash grab, just like last year. Everything in MyCareer is branded and it is nothing but advertisement. When you go into the foot locker and leave the dude working there saying something like "Don't forget to download our app" In the middle of the game they advertise Gatorade. This game is nothing but a giant ad. The Gameplay is broken as well. My player is rated 90 ovr with 90+ stamina and he can`t stay on the court for three minutes before he is out of breath. The jumpshot creator is completely broken, it doesn't save the jumpshot or it just saves something i didn't create. You can't play defense unless you are a lockdown defender. Your player will be too slow to catch up with westbrook or steph. Opponent defenders are all Kahwi Leonard. On HoF difficulty, you cross half court and the AI will be right in your face reaching for the ball. You can`t create room for an open jumpshot, cause everyone defends like Mj or Kahwi. MyCareer basically dies after the prelude. No real story, same generic interviews at the end of games. Avoid this trashy game. Expand
  18. Nov 11, 2018
    Seems like game journalists have lost touch with reality. Not only is this game buggy it is a complete predatory rip off. Shame on 2k and the so called game journalists.
  19. Oct 16, 2018
    Not sure why any of you idiots keep buying the same sports game(s) year on year when there is ZERO new content included in the newest edition.

The only thing worse than this game is the customer service.
  20. Feb 10, 2019
    Unresponsive, moving your player around the court feels like you're on roller skates. A development team that is very out-of-touch with the community. The game itself is unbalanced and a buggy mess. Microtransactions are essentially unavoidable, the game (the MyCareer feature, the primary mode) is pay-to-progress in its pure essence. Perhaps the biggest flaw of this game is its sheerUnresponsive, moving your player around the court feels like you're on roller skates. A development team that is very out-of-touch with the community. The game itself is unbalanced and a buggy mess. Microtransactions are essentially unavoidable, the game (the MyCareer feature, the primary mode) is pay-to-progress in its pure essence. Perhaps the biggest flaw of this game is its sheer brainless design: terrible AI, reminds me of a grind-fest MMO, stupid and annoying cutscenes, frustrating and inconsistent gameplay, painstakingly slow loading screens in every mode of this game. The game feels like a copy of the previous year with small changes to mask the fact that it is the same game, like free haircuts, but in reality these small changes affect nothing. Expand
  21. Sep 14, 2018
    You should not buy this game at all, which is sad if you are a fan of basketball. The use of micro-transactions is egregious; at every corner VC is required to progress your character. This is a "AAA Game" that costs $60 yet it is based on a pay to win platform....this is unacceptable. One cannot play the game without being inundated with commercials either. The announcers literallyYou should not buy this game at all, which is sad if you are a fan of basketball. The use of micro-transactions is egregious; at every corner VC is required to progress your character. This is a "AAA Game" that costs $60 yet it is based on a pay to win platform....this is unacceptable. One cannot play the game without being inundated with commercials either. The announcers literally plug Gatorade for 30 seconds at a time. 2K is trash and predatory. Parents...do not buy your kids VC as this is an unethical scheme Expand
  22. Sep 14, 2018
    The game is pay2win. All the content is locked behind VC and MT, you must pay to enjoy the game. The grind is insane and it's not possible to unlock anything by playing unless you play 10h/day every day for 5 months. And they even lowered rewards this year and locked the auction.
  23. Sep 14, 2018
    2K are trying to create a basketball themed online theme park/casino rather than a basketball game. They want you to spend hours and hours in the game in the hopes that you'll eventually buy in game currency. That is the sole purpose of this "game". Underneath the money grabbing there is a great basketball sim, it's such a shame that 2K care more about microtransaction revenue than player2K are trying to create a basketball themed online theme park/casino rather than a basketball game. They want you to spend hours and hours in the game in the hopes that you'll eventually buy in game currency. That is the sole purpose of this "game". Underneath the money grabbing there is a great basketball sim, it's such a shame that 2K care more about microtransaction revenue than player experience and rewarding players with loyalty to the series. They should make this game a fully fledged subscription MMO however then they couldn't charge full AAA game price every year for the same game with a few small changes. This is essentially what's happening, you are paying a yearly subscription to play a pay-to-win microtransaction fest.

Instead of spending countless hours a week running around the empty park hoping to play a game, or constantly getting nowhere trying to jump into a rec centre game, just play something else, go read a book, use the money you'll save to go do something worthwhile rather than pay into the bonus fund for some douche bag executive who ruined your favourite basketball game.
  24. Sep 15, 2018
    NBA 2K19 is like the last game. It kinda a "Full Price Free2Play" game and has very cool features like Paywalls, Pay2win... it is almost Pay2Play.

It is so frustrating to make VC.
    Please dont buy, dont support.
  25. Sep 14, 2018
    Story mode has a lot of potential but the vc and microtransactions made me forget about the game for good. I'm not going to spend an extra 85 dollars when I can can play **** NBA live 2007. What a waste of time this project became.
  26. Sep 14, 2018
    how much money did these reviewers get paid? please do not spend $60 on this terrible cash grab of a game. the predatory microtransanctions are absolutely criminal. I hope something is done about this, it is getting out of hand.
  27. Sep 15, 2018
    Terrible cash grabbing garbage. Every year these sports game companies push the envelope...on how much they can rip you off. Don’t stand for that. We deserve better. Do. Not. Buy.
  28. Sep 14, 2018
    I like this game at the beginning when I started playing a week ago. I have to admit that this is a way better game compared to 2K18. However, something goes bad when they updated the game to 1.02. They literally ruin the game by adding more annoying bugs to mock at players. Once I finished a mycareer game, I cannot get my upgrade progress. I literally waste my 2hrs to play this fkingI like this game at the beginning when I started playing a week ago. I have to admit that this is a way better game compared to 2K18. However, something goes bad when they updated the game to 1.02. They literally ruin the game by adding more annoying bugs to mock at players. Once I finished a mycareer game, I cannot get my upgrade progress. I literally waste my 2hrs to play this fking game. I am done with it. fk you 2K Expand
  29. Sep 18, 2018
    PAY2WIN absolutly. If the game doesnt want you win a game, then dont waste your time... but you can spend some real money and the you automatically winn games. This is 2K. Park is so broken... REC CENTER with lag, PRo aM too, any online mode with lag. Horrible graphics compare with LIVE, is a game so basic, so arcade... for mi this is the last 2K for ever, welcome LIVE.
  30. Sep 12, 2018
    Ever been charged €50 just to be able to walk in to a casino, then get screamed at to fork over more money? This game is what that's like.
  31. Sep 14, 2018
    This is going out of the control.
    Greed takes over like nobody cares.
    It is very frustrating that the money is more important than to satisfy the consumers so they actually can enjoy the game and recommend for others like back in the day when there was no pay to win rubbish in the games like this. Everyone who gives a high score here please tell me this: Why is it fun to play approx.
    This is going out of the control.
    Greed takes over like nobody cares.

Everyone who gives a high score here please tell me this: Why is it fun to play approx. 20 hrs and have an 80 overall player heading to Mypark and hoping to have a balanced/not one sided game with others who has 90+ overall and with only playing 5 hours because they levelled up with real money?

It has been for years now.

I am talking from experience, I have 100+ hour in mypark in 2k15, 2k16, 2k17 struggling to win because of I could not afford extra money to pay to unlock extra attribute points to increase my overall stats.

Shame on the publisher who just want money instead to create the best ever basketball sport simulation in history.

I recommend NBA LIVE 19. It is not bad at all. A different experience for sure but it has no pay to win. If you see a 90+ overall player online, well you can tell that player has worked all the way up to earn the skills and ratings which is fair and inspirational.

Here is how 2k shall sell coffee for their employees at their headquarters:

Chocolate powder on top – FREE if you buy NBA2K 19 Anniversary Edition
  32. Sep 13, 2018
    - VC everywhere
    - An actual gambling system where you can lose it ALL
    - “Buy VC” right under the quit button - Need VC to do those dances in the trailer - Need VC to use a skateboard or bike from the trailer - $200 of VC gets your player to level 80 only - Stuttering in 4K on Xbox One X - Horrible stadium lighting - Players warp and ice skate on the court - The biggest name in the
    - VC everywhere
    - An actual gambling system where you can lose it ALL
    - “Buy VC” right under the quit button
    - Need VC to do those dances in the trailer
    - Need VC to use a skateboard or bike from the trailer
    - $200 of VC gets your player to level 80 only
    - Stuttering in 4K on Xbox One X
    - Horrible stadium lighting
    - Players warp and ice skate on the court
    - The biggest name in the world - Lebron - and they get his skin tone wrong (way too dark)
    - The biggest rookie name - Doncic - and they have his height wrong
    - After release they made a patch to reduce and nerf XP
    - 2K are evil scum
  33. Sep 16, 2018
    They need to to remove those microtransactions that are affecting the gameplay or make it a free to play game. This game is unplayable without mnicrotransactions.
  34. Sep 12, 2018
    Microtransactions and VC have ruined this game. Executives should take note that in chasing the whales - that 2% of the community who pay thousands in ruinous micro transactions in order to get an unfair advantage over others - they alienate the other 90% of the people who play the game. Dont buy or support this garbage.
  35. Sep 11, 2018
    If you buy this game, you cannot really play it unless you spend at least an additional $100 more on micro-transactions. You can play it, but you will not have a fun time doing it, unless you pay-to-win. Also the developer has urged Belgian players to "fight" their government to allow micro-transactions to be activated. Ain't that just insane? This SHOULD be the death of NBA2K, the greedIf you buy this game, you cannot really play it unless you spend at least an additional $100 more on micro-transactions. You can play it, but you will not have a fun time doing it, unless you pay-to-win. Also the developer has urged Belgian players to "fight" their government to allow micro-transactions to be activated. Ain't that just insane? This SHOULD be the death of NBA2K, the greed is just too strong with this one. Expand
  36. Sep 12, 2018
    Shame on these 'professional' reviewers for not condemning this game for it's terribly implemented micro-transactions. NBA 2k19 is completely designed around holding back your progression to entice you to spend real money on it's virtual currency. This is a free-to-play phone game choking out what used to be a wonderful basketball series.
    Have principles. Don't be the sucker 2K thinks you
    Have principles. Don't be the sucker 2K thinks you are. Don't buy this game.
  37. Sep 18, 2018
    The definition of Pay2Win. Do not play unless you're ready to spend $200+ and 100+ hours on it. And trust me, it's not worth it.
  38. Sep 20, 2018
    Completely surrendered to its hardcore base, there is absolutely no entertainment whatsoever in this game anymore. A sad story of how a bad player you start to be, with no chance to reach the stats of a truly great player (like Curry or Lebron), awfully punishing system - as always - and a complete lack of a realistic momentum built-up within the game (one halftime yours or mine, 3rdCompletely surrendered to its hardcore base, there is absolutely no entertainment whatsoever in this game anymore. A sad story of how a bad player you start to be, with no chance to reach the stats of a truly great player (like Curry or Lebron), awfully punishing system - as always - and a complete lack of a realistic momentum built-up within the game (one halftime yours or mine, 3rd quarter comeback for the team behind, last minutes of 4th quarter up for grabs...it's getting boring...). But, no point in buying a game that is so consistently disappointing its fans and then writing a review about it. Next year, NBA Live for me...cheers! Expand
  39. Sep 15, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Keep losing MyCareer files following glitches in the program and following version updates. Basically burning money on MyCareer as the file keeps disappearing after i pay real money for VC to upgrade player - a poorly executed program. They are aware of the problem and should recall it on the PS4 until they fix the problem. Don't buy! Crap game! Expand
  40. Sep 15, 2018
    Put simply, NBA 2K19 is not worth your money. It honestly feels like a really good patch for 2k18. If you already own NBA 2K18, or even 2K17, you're better off sticking with those for another year.
  41. Sep 12, 2018
    Although the game is better than last year, let's not act like 2k is doing us a favor. The game still revolves around micro-transactions like a **** F2P mobile game. I'm Canadian so I already pay $80 + tax for the game to still be basically forced to pay an additional $60 to actually make the game playable. They still deserve the hate until they fix it.

One of their executives in an

One of their executives in an interview said, "Users expect everything for Free and that's not reasonable". Well you dumbass, users expect that because they already paid full price for your stupid game, did you forget that part?
  42. Sep 12, 2018
    Microtransactions everywhere, stay away from this money grabbing mobile game.
  43. Sep 13, 2018
    there is something wrong with game's face models and lighting as they look very plastic-like and lighting on the skin looks awful. There is also NO Brightness and HDR settings in the menus...ONCE AGAIN. The colours look awful on my 4K HDR TV and it is only game where they seem to overbright and I cannot do anything about it, because 2K was too lazy to implement the settings..

Online is

Online is still laggy and there's still input latency, although surprisingly it is much less of it this year than previous years (2K17 etc, was unplayable because of the input lag when playing online games).

I don't really like the way they adjusted the difficulty settings this year as it seems that CPU nails all the shots, but it is very hard to hit a bucket for yourself..

Also the amount of blocks you get and weird looking animations for loosing a ball are enormous...Not to mention the shot meter for layups which is really ridiculous to see 90 overall players miss layups undefended, the shot selection in the post also raises lots of question marks!

In general, it is not much different from NBA 2K18. New menus, new neighbourhood layout, new game mode in myTeam (also like 3 modes removed from it, I guess they will bring it back in the future as a "new mode")... Yeah, I am pretty disappointed.

I am not even going to speak for microtransactions and CV bs... let's just say I was playing 6 hrs of myTEAM straight and only managed to earn 8k in game currency (myTEAM coins) (from about 30 games played and about half of them I have won).

Negative rating because I feel like 2K need to review their pay2win walls and free2play mechanics game has (selling for 60 bucks!)
  44. Sep 12, 2018
    The gameplay is on point but I have to give it a negative review. The microtransactions system is as bad as it was last year if not worse because you no longer get sponsor money for playing playground, the most poular mode. Beware 2K it might not be next year or even the year after but at some point EA is going to release a good product and boy when that happens do not expect any loyaltyThe gameplay is on point but I have to give it a negative review. The microtransactions system is as bad as it was last year if not worse because you no longer get sponsor money for playing playground, the most poular mode. Beware 2K it might not be next year or even the year after but at some point EA is going to release a good product and boy when that happens do not expect any loyalty from the players you've been ripping off for years. You'll be begging us to buy your game $30 before Christmas. Expand
  45. Sep 13, 2018
    every year theres bugs, every year they are hungrier for microtransactions and pay to win players.i only bought it because it was suppose to change all the BS problems that have piled up over the years, a big one being the ridiculous grind that attempts to coerce players into microtransactions to save weeks of your life. The reddit community believed this was addressed so i bought theevery year theres bugs, every year they are hungrier for microtransactions and pay to win players.i only bought it because it was suppose to change all the BS problems that have piled up over the years, a big one being the ridiculous grind that attempts to coerce players into microtransactions to save weeks of your life. The reddit community believed this was addressed so i bought the game, then within 48 hours of buying it they patched the game to make it more of a grind like it was before. now i want my money back. Expand
  46. Sep 25, 2018
    Microtransactions have ruined this franchise. The grind in both MyCareer and MyTeam feels like a chore. Both modes are essentially pay to win, which is total BS for a $60 game!

It's just no longer fun and as a huge basketball fan, it really pains me to say that...
  47. Oct 2, 2018
    This developer deserves no support from gamers because they do not care about the people who actually have loyalty to the franchise and go out and buy the game for full price. Those people are "rewarded" with free2play mechanics. This dev has no respect for gamers they just want to get as much money out of you as possible and they use every trick in the book to do so.

It really doesn't

It really doesn't matter that the gameplay is improved this year if the most popular game modes are compromised by arguably predatory microtransactions.
  48. Sep 11, 2018
    One word: Microtransactions. Completely ruins the progression and makes the game a real slog
  49. Sep 11, 2018
    60 dollar games that promote pay to win mechanics and build their game around it don't deserve good ratings, regardless if you have a good game or not.

NBA 2k is superior in gameplay to Live, but the money grabbing is despicable.
  50. Sep 11, 2018
    awful movement. Shot meter taking all the skill out of the game. micro transactions up the ass. yeah 0 and a refund from me.

you literally pay 60$ for a Roster update, the game looks the same for the past few years.
  51. Sep 12, 2018
    Been a huge fan of NBA 2K since 2k11 , with quick play mode is getting better every year . However , the increasing amount of microtransactions has made the MC mode which is the mode i play most an unenjoyable grind progress , i really hate the gym system while u waste a lot of your time playing stupid mini-games , what is more worse is that u need the time to play more boring games ifBeen a huge fan of NBA 2K since 2k11 , with quick play mode is getting better every year . However , the increasing amount of microtransactions has made the MC mode which is the mode i play most an unenjoyable grind progress , i really hate the gym system while u waste a lot of your time playing stupid mini-games , what is more worse is that u need the time to play more boring games if you dont want spend extra money, u have to tolerate the fact u may need to finish 3 games to get one skill point up . Actually , money can not solve your problems too. Using money will cut your feeling of your character is growing and if u stop investing , then u will feel so hard to grow . I‘d like to make 2K
    pay for it's greed this time.
  52. Sep 15, 2018
    I'm really not bothered with microtransactions like everybody else because they are optional and does not affect gameplay. But... I preordered game because I really liked 2K18. Seems they changed everything to worse. Shooting mechanic is totally changed, specially layup. I constantly get lost game in online play because of "too many penalties" mad by my NPC players!!!!! Hope they will fixI'm really not bothered with microtransactions like everybody else because they are optional and does not affect gameplay. But... I preordered game because I really liked 2K18. Seems they changed everything to worse. Shooting mechanic is totally changed, specially layup. I constantly get lost game in online play because of "too many penalties" mad by my NPC players!!!!! Hope they will fix something in updates, but for now game is broken, annoying and unplayable! Expand
  53. Sep 16, 2018
    Another crash grab. As long as fools keep handing over money to these criminals they will continue doing this. I'm not buying this game or will ever again buy any game from these crooks
  54. Sep 12, 2018
    Gameplay is good but is its only saving grace. Death by microtransactions as usual. Should not be blatantly pay-to-win when we've paid the full price for the game + it comes out every year. Been hoping for an offline mycareer so that we would not be subjected to the limits because of scaling for online players. Slow grind is unrealistic because some of us are working and don't have thatGameplay is good but is its only saving grace. Death by microtransactions as usual. Should not be blatantly pay-to-win when we've paid the full price for the game + it comes out every year. Been hoping for an offline mycareer so that we would not be subjected to the limits because of scaling for online players. Slow grind is unrealistic because some of us are working and don't have that kind of time too.

Career games can be skewed against you - your teammates are 'powered down' so that you can be the hero of MyCareer and basically carry everyone to victory. But if you're not paying to win the grind is horrible, you can't do **** against the opponents and your teammates are kinda useless too. No proof of course but it is very possible for 2k to do something like that.
  55. Sep 10, 2018
    Problems that were in previous games are still here graphically it seems to have taken a few steps back and forward in some areas. Overall an improvement over the trash 2k18 was. Would've been a fun game if VC still didn't dominate it
  56. Sep 12, 2018
    pay to win and cheats, don't buy this game, EA and 2K don't deserve your money
  57. Sep 12, 2018
    Buggy with multiple crashes in just a few hours, reprehensible micro-transaction policy and online matchmaking issues make this game complete crap. Not recommended.
  58. Sep 13, 2018
    Pay to play. The biggest joke of a game this year for sure, don't buy this game
  59. Sep 12, 2018
    MTX infested dross. Don't buy this horrific scam of a game. Reasonable gameplay crippled once more with unnecessary and overly long tedious grind (Unless you want to take 2k's benevolently offered opportunity to 'choose' to pay your way through the game faster...so kind of them)

Avoid like the plague. It's worse than you could ever possibly imagine.
  60. Sep 20, 2018
    microtransactions microtransactions microtransactions microtransactions microtransactions microtransactions microtransactions microtransactions microtransactions microtransactions microtransactions oh yeah... microtransactions...
  61. Sep 19, 2018
    Yet another disgraceful annual product generated by greed instead of passion and creativity.
  62. Sep 13, 2018
    Yet another money grab.Im going live this year.This game should be free to play with the amount of microtransactions.NO THX.NEVER AGAIN.
  63. Sep 8, 2018
    Disclaimer. 30 hours in. Using asia servers. Bought the Legend Edition + another 200K VC in-game (Hint. I regret it). These are my opinions, some shared by the NBA2K community, some not.

The overall rating I gave would be lower, but MyLeague is just so good (this makes the game worth the base price itself). Next year I probably won't even touch the other game modes anymore as 2K continues to heavily prioritize esports and revenue per user.

Pros
    - Excellent presentation, graphics and animations, player models/faces (for the most part) are brilliant
    - More ways to earn VC
    - Very good My Career story, sometimes its even genuinely funny
    - Incredible detail and flexibility added to MyLeague
    - Improved playcalling overlay
    - AI improvements incl. smaller lineups, more mismatch opportunities, interesting double-teams
    - The ability to skip cutscenes, simulate games along with better menus, allows you to get back to enjoying the actual game much faster. The ability to skip the Prelude altogether is another welcome addition (though would be better to have at the outset)
    - The Neighborhood layout
    - Better visibility for ratings when selecting archetypes

Cons - General
    - Early Access now requires buying the Legend edition (which otherwise on its own is a VERY poor value proposition)
    - Regular crashes on PS4 in all game modes, I've experienced about 15 since starting.
    - MyTeam Inability to access auctions without PS4+ and higher barrier to entry (you must win online games before being allowed access). I used to by VC for MyTeam, now I will no longer use the mode.
    - MyGM: The Next Chapter is absolute DRIVEL - I cannot stress this enough. It is not worth your time. Play vanilla MyLeague/MyGM instead.
    - Strange addition of gameplay into MyCareer and MyGM stories that seems pointless

Cons - MyCareer
    - Punishingly difficult to play, even on the easiest difficulty (which is still Pro this year)
    - Playing MyCareer without spending physical money is unviable. NBA games at these levels are unenjoyable and frankly depressing (the teammate grading system is ruthless this year). FYI you MUST turn on and use the playcalling overlay to your advantage in order to be successful initially.
    - Would be nice to access the Neighborhood earlier in the Prelude process.
    - Would be nice to experiment with a build at 85 ovr for say, 3 games, to decide if you like, without having to spend 180K VC.
    - Playing anything other than a primary ballhandler or a big may not be enjoyable for casual gamers due to otherwise limited involvement in offense along with difficulty on defense.

Cons - Online
    - Poor control responsiveness when playing online, momentum will unrealistically take you out of a play. You need to anticipate and make your move well ahead of time.
    - Using the onball steal button is an all or nothing proposition, it's either a success or foul and (currently) there is alot of MyPark abuse of it. Note. 2K really wants you to use the right stick to generate fumbles instead, but it hasn't taken yet.
    - in MyPark, you will not get teammates @ 60-70 OVR. I constantly wonder when will 2K implement a match-making system for this mode based on rating and record?
    - MyPark Community. it's becoming more and more of a troll culture that frankly 2K seems to encourage with alot of the animations that you can buy (aka taunts). The general vitriol you will overhear with audio enabled is just sad and not suitable for children (some of whom have now become some of the worst offenders).
  64. Sep 10, 2018
    Probably the worst 2K game to date. Been playing for a few hours now, and not a single aspect of the game excites me, It is like they took a fairly 2K18 and just made it worse
  65. Sep 11, 2018
    Same as last years. Gameplay itself is good, graphics are good but still unplayable without buying VC. Also Proam force you to play with 5 players so not playing it this year...
  66. Sep 12, 2018
    En el videojuego de 2K19 se observa lo mismo que en el del año pasado. Todo se logra con microtransacciones a pesar de que se paga como un triple A. En vez de vender el producto con todo incluido te obligan a pagar para no tener que jugar por horas, que a la larga se hacen semanas. Aun con la edición de aniversario lo que te venden no es la experiencia de juego, sino la emoción de comprarEn el videojuego de 2K19 se observa lo mismo que en el del año pasado. Todo se logra con microtransacciones a pesar de que se paga como un triple A. En vez de vender el producto con todo incluido te obligan a pagar para no tener que jugar por horas, que a la larga se hacen semanas. Aun con la edición de aniversario lo que te venden no es la experiencia de juego, sino la emoción de comprar por partes todo el contenido. Incluso, uno de los productores del equipo de desarrollo dice que la gran mayoría de jugadores de videojuegos no tienen paciencia para jugar y por eso ponen las microtransacciones. Sin embargo, en Steam para PC el NBA 2k18 tiene una clasificación de mayormente negativos.

In English
    In the video game of 2K19 the same thing is observed as in the one of last year. Everything is achieved with microtransactions despite being paid as a triple A. Instead of selling the product with all-inclusive you are forced to pay for not having to play for hours, which eventually become weeks. Even with the anniversary edition, what they sell to you is not the gaming experience, but the excitement of buying all the content in parts. Even one of the producers of the development team says that the vast majority of video game players have no patience to play and that is why they put microtransactions. However, in Steam for PC the NBA 2k18 has a rating of mostly negative.
  67. Sep 13, 2018
    Another microtransaction simulator, don't buy it, don't help this scumbags get away this time.
  68. Sep 10, 2018
    This review is focused on the my career mode Ghost Blocking has been a problem since 2k17 and they still have not fixed it and a lot of the bugs from 2k18 have carried over with off the knee ball turn overs when you dribble , players legs and jersey disappearing, missing wide open dunks/layups when the player defending you is much smaller and barely touching you, the cpu splashing 3s likeThis review is focused on the my career mode Ghost Blocking has been a problem since 2k17 and they still have not fixed it and a lot of the bugs from 2k18 have carried over with off the knee ball turn overs when you dribble , players legs and jersey disappearing, missing wide open dunks/layups when the player defending you is much smaller and barely touching you, the cpu splashing 3s like curry with a rating of D because they are matched up on you the cpu turns into a cheese machine that can never miss even when their ratings are way lower or have little to no defensive rating, the shoe glitch from 2k18 is back getting angry texts when you are wearing the correct brand. The only positive is the team mate cpu is much better and the neighborhood is better layered out overall a mixed experience but the bad is currently weighing out good and badly needs these things patched ASAP Expand
  69. Sep 25, 2018
    Frankly its a little unsettling how commonplace and just accepted the blatant cash grab of the VC coins and MyTeam card packs have become. I have friends who are usually hugely against these kinds of mechanics but even they talk about how they drop like 300 bucks on card packs. Its unreal.

What is ther to really say about 2k19? its a borderline clone of 2k18 stuffed to the brim with product placement and cheap gimmicks that encourage you to drop even more money.
  70. BFM
    Sep 26, 2018
    This game makes one thing clear:
    The developer doesn't see us as their customers.
    We are the product, the customers are their shareholders.
  71. Sep 25, 2018
    Take note, developers, and take OUT THESE DAMN MICROTRANSACTIONS! You've ruined what could be some very good games! Disgusting practices by these companies, practices that should be illegal and hopefully soon will be!
  72. Sep 22, 2018
    I was excited to play after noticing they allows the true inside game ALA Wilt, Kareem with the hook shots and post moves. Promptly a week after releasing the game they nerf the entire thing. Now the 100$ preorder + 100$ VC pack I bought is basically worthless.

Don't do it. I for one am reconsidering ever thinking about 2k ever again, and this statement is coming from me who played 2k14 for the past 4 years. This game changes everything on a whim but expects you to invest major time and money in builds that might be garbage in a week (they also want you to play one character a whole year, really?)
  73. Sep 23, 2018
    NBA 2K19 provides a basketball simulation that is unfortunately plagued with micro-transactions that ruin the experience for a "casual" gamer. I spent $20 on VC and got to ONLY a 75 overall. Because of this, I called Sony and demanded a refund for the game and the VC I bought. Choosing between 2K and Live, you should choose Live. No $60 dollar game should be based upon the principles of aNBA 2K19 provides a basketball simulation that is unfortunately plagued with micro-transactions that ruin the experience for a "casual" gamer. I spent $20 on VC and got to ONLY a 75 overall. Because of this, I called Sony and demanded a refund for the game and the VC I bought. Choosing between 2K and Live, you should choose Live. No $60 dollar game should be based upon the principles of a FREEMIUM game. Expand
  74. Mar 16, 2019
    I love this game! Probably one of the best NBA 2K games in a while. Although the microtransactions are getting a little too crazy. I still enjoy the game and playing Myteam Everyday can't get enough!
  75. Sep 10, 2018
    The graphics are ugly AF. Everything feels like the same. Micro transaction centric game. Another poor product by 2k sport.
  76. Sep 8, 2018
    Is it wrong for me, to think that Live is better this year? I was expecting more. A shot meter for LAYUPS? ARE you serious? Layups are supposed to be easy. It takes FOREVER to level up your player in 2K. In Live, you can level up in no time. There is no grind in Live just FUN and Free clothes, gear and accessories daily. $100 Anniversary Edition, lucky me BUT Live is Better.
  77. Sep 7, 2018
    Problems. 1. Input latency is as horrible as ever. 2. Terrible gatorade training facility returns to waste yourtime to fill turbo between games. 3. This game is fine if you play against computer, my career n mypark however are a disaster. Rec center disaster. Honestly, the game is pretty much the same as last year with a boost to vc earned. But people that play know the problem is the postProblems. 1. Input latency is as horrible as ever. 2. Terrible gatorade training facility returns to waste yourtime to fill turbo between games. 3. This game is fine if you play against computer, my career n mypark however are a disaster. Rec center disaster. Honestly, the game is pretty much the same as last year with a boost to vc earned. But people that play know the problem is the post 85 grind and terrible on court performance. But biggest problem is the greed. Wait for a sale. Expand
  78. Sep 10, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. DISCLAIMER: 2K always is bad when it comes to launching their games, so I’m just going to deduct one point off the score for the fact that this launch was terrible and will get worse on the 11th with the other players joining in.

So this is my 8th year playing 2K, and after the absolute GARBAGE that 2K18 was, I was ready for a refreshing change.

I can gladly say that this is a improvement.

2K for years now has struggled to make a skills gap and a actual reason to get good at the game. 2K15 and 2K16’s Scoring Style idea was a slight improvement but did nothing to stop 6’ 7” speed boosting dribble God’s from dominating the Park and was simply useless as players could still have extremely high dunking and shooting attributes. 2K17 tried to change the game and introduce Archetypes; new play styles that would limit a players abilities and have to cater to a certain way of playing. But then Playmakers, Sharps, and Glass Cleaners took over and the “skills matter” idea fell flat. 2K18 tried to improve the archetype system by adding dual archetypes all with their own certain caps to badges and attribute caps. Then Sharps and Shot-Creators became too overpowered as shooting was a breeze once you got Limitless Cheese or Difficult Shi*s as my friend calls them. (Limitless Range and Difficult Shots).

So you think in 2K19 they would finally figure it out right?

Yes, and no. Now while the archetype system is massively better than 18, there still are some OP builds; the Playmaking Shot-Creator, or even the Slashing Shot-Creator are some popular “OP” builds as they are all around builds that can do 2 things really well, and also be pretty successful at others. Builds such as the Pure Sharp and Sharpshooting Playmaker got their nerfs, but also some slight improvements to make it so they can’t do the offense all by themselves but still can carry the load pretty well. And as always, Slashers are dominant and eventually will get nerfed, but we’ll see if they become like 2K17’s slashers or 2K13’s. Badges such as Ankle Breaker and Relentless Finisher seem slightly nerfed but not majorly. Limitless Range is a noticeable nerf this year as I did a shoot around with Curry and Klay and could barley hit from the logo and beyond the hash mark. (3/10 with Klay, 4/10 with Curry.)

So what’s bad?

Well as always, the micro transactions are awful but not as bad as previous 2K’s, *cough cough, 2K18*. This may seem misleading as first as many things are still the same prices, but you earn VC at a pretty good rate this year, especially in MyCareer. Teammate grade can give you a 2x bonus, so can difficulty multipliers. (Pro to HoF.) The daily things also help a bit, and so does the daily spin, which at the moment is basically inaccessible because of the thousands surrounding it constantly, but still, you can also use endorsements this year to boost your per-game salary and there’s also events at the park such as the Reese’s Puff “Crunch Hour” that give you 2x VC every game.

MyTeam looks less pay to win, but the $250,000 tournament will definitely change that lol.

MyCareer is back at it with the cheesy nick names and stuff, now it’s nowhere near the cheesiness of 2K16 or 18, but still cheesy with Jackson Ellis and ATM returning, but I’ll be honest, I did laugh when I heard their bum a**es try to talk smack against me.

MyLeauge and MyGM made some improvement, but is still slightly boring unless your into numbers and stuff like me/do challenges.

Otherwise I’d say this is a great basketball game and would get it unless NBA Live has smooth gameplay that isn’t stiff and robotic.

Score: 8.7/10

2K Rating: tied for 5th.
  79. Sep 11, 2018
    Game's feels slight more realistic then last year version, graphic has improved, my personal problem with all of nba 2k's games is the net/rim physics .. it might seems to be a slight issue, but in any past 2k game (and my first was 2k6!!) when the ball 'meets' the net, it never really felt realistic .. which for me it's quite disappointment that they did not improve on that area for allGame's feels slight more realistic then last year version, graphic has improved, my personal problem with all of nba 2k's games is the net/rim physics .. it might seems to be a slight issue, but in any past 2k game (and my first was 2k6!!) when the ball 'meets' the net, it never really felt realistic .. which for me it's quite disappointment that they did not improve on that area for all these years ..
    as far as gameplay thats my only issue .. everything else feels great to me.

didn't check any of the other modes yet, so my review is all about the gameplay.
  80. Sep 12, 2018
    NBA 2k19 is one of the most engaging and fun sports games I've ever played. However, it is bogged down by an ever increasing reliance on micotransactions that, while improved from NBA 2k18, still act in an aggressive attack against their customers.

The game is visually stunning. The core gameplay mechanics are near perfect and the changes they made to steals (most especially) were duly noted and much appreciated. While 2K is pretending to bring new additions to the game, they are only half advanced as they pretend to be. Many features are simply a return from NBA 2k17 or earlier, and had been deleted, removed, or dramatically changed for the worse. For example, skipping cut scenes, the traditional MyGM mode, and free haircuts for your MyPLayer, all returned this year, but it begs us asking the question, why did 2K remove these features in the first place.

While 2k touts that they are making VC easier to earn this year, they can only claim this due to a deceptive change to the game. Yes, you earn more VC by having difficulty multipliers and the overall per-game VC cap has been raised, but the amount of VC you need in order to level up your character has been permanently increased. For example, last year I spent $10 buying 35k worth of VC which was enough to get my MyPlayer to a healthy 71 before beginning the game mode. That same 35k worth of VC can only get a MyPlayer up to a 67 or 68 now. You'll need 200k VC, or $50 worth, in order to go from a 60 to 85 -- a truly daunting task for an adult like myself who works 40 hours a week and has a family. The MyCareer path could have easily been called 'Return to the Grind.'

Once you get passed the VC issues, the game is amazing. The new MyCareer story mode is amazing. It was the first time since they introduced the storytelling with 2K14, that I actually wanted to watch every cut scene. They hired a great writing staff and a number of A list actors to partake in the experience, and it was amazing. I felt myself attached to my character because 2K delivered a powerful story about BASKETBALL life, rather than creating some phony and pathetic storyline and then wrapping basketball around it.

My only other critique is that the teammate grading system is terrible. They tweaked it so that you are punished incredibly hard for minor infractions while not rewarding positive play. An assist gets you plus 20% while leaving your coverage of a player on defense, mixed with him scoring, can net you a full letter grade penalty. They also are reckless with how often they cite you for someone scoring on your character, even if you were playing solid Defense (this is basketball, your opponent will inevitably score some of the time). My last game I had 27points, 11 Assists, 6 rebounds, and 2 steals, with 2 turn overs, only to have a teammate grade of C+. This definitely needs an update.

Overall, NBA 2K is a phenomenal game that's incredibly fun to play but is hindered by it's desire to take the money of its most devoted fans.
  81. Sep 12, 2018
    The best NBA 2K to date. Visual Concept really focused on the gameplay this time, and it shows. This game has all that you need in a basketball game. I don't really care about the micro-transactions because with all the game has to offer, i don't have to buy any to enjoy my experience.
  82. Sep 11, 2018
    First of all, stop lying on your User Revuews. Most of you probably don’t even have the game. If you did, you would know just what an amazing game 2K19 truly is. Stellar gameplay, improved menus, best graphics in the series to date. There are tons of gameplay options and so many customization options. Outside of the core game, there are Premium modes, MyCareer and MyTeam that willFirst of all, stop lying on your User Revuews. Most of you probably don’t even have the game. If you did, you would know just what an amazing game 2K19 truly is. Stellar gameplay, improved menus, best graphics in the series to date. There are tons of gameplay options and so many customization options. Outside of the core game, there are Premium modes, MyCareer and MyTeam that will require “grinding” or you can optionally buy VC to progress faster. There are a few miscues in the launch software; controller vibration doesn’t work, speed is a tad bit slow and the soundtrack is laughably horrible. Despite that, this game is a blast to play and MyCareer is fantastic. Expand
  83. Sep 14, 2018
    Definitely the most realistic NBA 2K game I've played so far. You won't be good when you first start your career. Like virtually every basketball player in real life, you will be pretty ineffective in the first quarter/half of your rookie season. That is true unless you are willing to spend money or grind VC some other way before starting a career. If you are expecting your player toDefinitely the most realistic NBA 2K game I've played so far. You won't be good when you first start your career. Like virtually every basketball player in real life, you will be pretty ineffective in the first quarter/half of your rookie season. That is true unless you are willing to spend money or grind VC some other way before starting a career. If you are expecting your player to dominate games from the get go and are not willing to pay up a lot of cash for that ability, you will not enjoy this game. If you are like me and enjoy the struggle to stardom path, you will love this game.

Important note: If you are looking for mostly multiplayer, it is definitely pay to win until you can grind out your player.
  84. Sep 18, 2018
    I've personally created a metacritic account just to share my thoughts and review with everyone on this game.

If you've played any of the last 3 years of the 2K series you should automatically know that it's a LONG grind for Free-to-play players aka casual players. This game has not changed one bit from that aspect. This game is intended for competitive players that is why it's an E-Sport game.

You can accomplish feats in the MyCareer mode. Yes, it will take you a couple months of non-stop grinding, but it's very possible. But the people complaining WANT to play the online modes and do everything their favorite Twitch streamer can do or YouTuber can do....THEY PAY TO HAVE THEIR CHARACTER BE RELEVANT ONLINE. So yes, if you want to become competitive and play the online modes with your created players then you will most likely spend an additional $75 to get there.

How is that any different from games being released that are incomplete and then later down the road releasing season passes, dlc's, expansion's, etc? IT'S THE EXACT SAME THING. Destiny 2 is the perfect example of this.

Base Game - $60
    Expansion 1 & 2 - $30
    Forsaken - $60

How is this any different???? They have several more expansions planned out too for Destiny 2 so it doesn't just stop there. People need to get a grip of reality and realize every game is like this. The model has not changed in the past 3 years for most games.

Casual players need to stick to some of MyTeam mode, MyGM mode, Exhibition mode or anything else that doesn't require additional money to ENJOY the game. It's the same people complaining every year that they do not want to spend money on the game after they have purchased it. You need to wake up from this dream and either cough up the dough or stick to the casual modes.

Now onto the game, I've mainly played just the career portion as most of my friends are either late to the party getting the game or grinding out badges. I've been thoroughly impressed because it feels like an actual basketball game and not some arcade button mashing game. I've also noticed the game requires more skills than holding a button and expecting your MyPlayer to perform like Michael Jordan or LeBron James. Which was much needed. The game needs to feel somewhat realistic otherwise who would want to play a bad basketball game.

The online portion I've not yet touched as I'm still grinding my badges and attributes, and usually it takes a month or two after release to even get the online portion balanced and fixed so it's probably a blessing that I'm playing the game the slow way through career mode. The Pro level difficulty has not given me much issues if any. If you make dumb passes or shoot dumb shots...You should have low success rates. I will update my review once I get more online play, but this was more for those that do not understand the game market currently or any of the past 2K games.
  85. Sep 7, 2018
    wow, NBA 2k19 is excellent basketball game ever i playing.. Gameplay and animations are top notch.. Defense improve is pretty much better beside offense.. ai cpu playing very properly on offense and defense..i haven't start up My GM/League yet but will do soon as possible.. My Career is very good with good story narratives. graphic look great and presentation look very good.. stats overlaywow, NBA 2k19 is excellent basketball game ever i playing.. Gameplay and animations are top notch.. Defense improve is pretty much better beside offense.. ai cpu playing very properly on offense and defense..i haven't start up My GM/League yet but will do soon as possible.. My Career is very good with good story narratives. graphic look great and presentation look very good.. stats overlay and scoreboard look very clean Expand
  86. Sep 13, 2018
    Unlike everyone reviewing this game based on MyPlayer, I'll speak on the things that actually matter in a sports game. The game plays better this year than previous years. Just by making the ball harder to drive and the opponents ankles harder to break, the game has taken a step forward. On offense, though I'm only a few games in, I cannot seem to spam the pick & roll like previous years.Unlike everyone reviewing this game based on MyPlayer, I'll speak on the things that actually matter in a sports game. The game plays better this year than previous years. Just by making the ball harder to drive and the opponents ankles harder to break, the game has taken a step forward. On offense, though I'm only a few games in, I cannot seem to spam the pick & roll like previous years. I feel like the computer defense tries to adjust to stop your offensive schemes. Also, I personally like the timed layups because it adds a level of I-cannot-drive-in-and-chuck-up-some-garbage-and-make-it-every-time. Now, the game has things it needs to improve: presentation, overall realism/look, and some gameplay flukes. I cannot stand when someone like Marvin Williams has the best game of his career against me...every time we play. Frank Kaminsky shouldn't be taking more shots than Kemba Walker. And that has been a huge complaint of mine for years now. They're too focused on the MyPlayer stuff to work on any actual gameplay. I'd still give the game a solid 8 so far. I'm excited to see how the game adjusts with different teams (will the Warriors play like the Warriors, will the Celtics play like the Celtics, etc...). If you're not in to the MyPlayer aspect, the game takes enough steps forward to warrant picking it up this year. If you're just looking to create a player a cheese-fest, apparently the game isn't for you. Expand
  87. Sep 13, 2018
    NBA 2K is the cream of the crop when it comes to sports games. Game play is better than ever, MyLeauge and CAP is head and shoulders above all other sports games. This is a must own for any basketball fan.
  88. Sep 15, 2018
    Always bought this 2K games.I start with positive things. I say the game mechanism is better in simple games or in story mode the NBA games. The real players looks better than early 2K games. Fun play games with friends. MYTeam mode is better too. But my fav part is always the Park. Now all things in one circle , middle the courts and sidelines the stores, i dont like it better wasAlways bought this 2K games.I start with positive things. I say the game mechanism is better in simple games or in story mode the NBA games. The real players looks better than early 2K games. Fun play games with friends. MYTeam mode is better too. But my fav part is always the Park. Now all things in one circle , middle the courts and sidelines the stores, i dont like it better was 2k18... You can make all things in your menu don't need go home or some bullsh!t lot of walking for nothing and loading screens. For me not negative this play or win things because i always make my caracter with playing not for money. I dont like people who make her/his caracter with money. All games i was 75-80% win in Park without buy stupid VC. Yes i know some people dont like griding and dont like the early part the game when your caracter is sh!t and always lose in the park but need little time and patience. I say it's a good basketball game but lot of people dont like this pay or win things. Look me i never bought VC and all games i was 75-80% winner in online games. Only you need lot of practice and you will win too. Expand
  89. Oct 14, 2018
    When at this not competitive online game will be balance like at Starcraft 1-2 ? When they realise, that balance manager, who can hear users and can play online too - is MUST NESSESARRY ?? Before patch 4 this game has some troubles, but they was not so much impactful, like after patch 4, when balance again become bad ! All stupid dudes got atvantage again.
    Some historic troubles of 2K NBA
    Some historic troubles of 2K NBA Series:
    1. OP Offencsive rebounds - 2 years in a row ! Why? For noobs, who must shot again and again?
    2. Goal or foul at paint. This "insane" feature relised at 2k16 and now actual again, after patch 4.
    3. Greed. Last realistic cards at MyTeam whas at 2K16, then ..... We neeed more your money.

This game will be trash, before they hire balance manager, who must be EXPERT at online game!
  90. Sep 12, 2018
    Excelente jogo! Nota 10, só faltou liberar dia 07/09 para a pré-venda da versao stardard.
    Melhor jogo de Esporte do Mercado!
  91. Oct 15, 2018
    The problem with the people in these comments is that they thought they would have an 85 overall player after a 3 hour gameplay. Just like in the NBA, not every rookie can hit 3's, can block, can handle, etc. This game is made for the casual gamer the same as any other is: if you aren't good at the game, you will lose often and will need to watch videos on how to improve.

Love the new

Love the new shot system, seems much more consistent. Players act far more realistic, passing more authentic.

With that being said, this game is once again a cash-grab HOWEVER I have had multiple friends who hadn't preordered & are at 90. Not very often can you say games have 3+ playable game modes (MyCareer/Park, MyTeam, Play Now/Play Now Online) all of which they put effort to update from the previous version. Great improvement from a buggy 2k18, could always work out some bugs (such as PRO-AM) but great sports game. Might be better than FIFA this year...
  92. Nov 19, 2018
    Ve všech kategoriích doslova drtí konkurenci a i přesto, že nepřináší dostatek inovací oproti minulému dílu, můžeme hru doporučit všem milovníkům lesklých palubovek. GamePress cz
  93. May 22, 2019
    MyCareer makes you invested in the player you create. Core NBA 2K mechanics are challenging and rewarding. Plenty of game modes to choose from. Great voiceover performances in MyCareer story. BUT Emphasis on virtual currency (VC) is borderline exploitative. Sluggish player movement in certain scenarios. Matchmaking tools in MyCareer are lacking. Narrative in MyCareer falls flat.
  94. Jun 11, 2019
    game Is not new player friendly among bugs and micro transactions , the developers should feel ashamed of this game
  95. Jun 25, 2019
    Unskippable ads in a non-free to play game is downright disgraceful. You make all this money from microtransactions every single year yet you continue to want more and more and more and more.
  96. Apr 30, 2019
    2k19 is a step back on track from the absymal state the game was in last year, but it does not complete redirect itself toward a path I still like. The game is still a cesspool of microtransactions, and any attempt to play the game in a normal way is hindered by others in the community who push for the idea of paying to skip the grind. Let's not forget, it is the developers who make this2k19 is a step back on track from the absymal state the game was in last year, but it does not complete redirect itself toward a path I still like. The game is still a cesspool of microtransactions, and any attempt to play the game in a normal way is hindered by others in the community who push for the idea of paying to skip the grind. Let's not forget, it is the developers who make this grind that is so unbearable that one would want to skip it. The MyCareer story was better but anything after that is shallow and offers nothing. What can you actually do with your career after the story? nothing really. Gameplay is for the most part solid as you would expect, and the environment is still the best in any sports game. Above average, but still has major problems Expand
  97. Oct 23, 2018
    This is the smoothest edition of 2K ever. I do agree that Virtual Coins are required even in Franchise mode, but you gain more after each game. They did change some of the faces unnecessarily like Durant's, but this game is so solid in gameplay and audio and visual presentation that these minor drawbacks can be overlooked. The one thing they need to add to the game is the energy percentageThis is the smoothest edition of 2K ever. I do agree that Virtual Coins are required even in Franchise mode, but you gain more after each game. They did change some of the faces unnecessarily like Durant's, but this game is so solid in gameplay and audio and visual presentation that these minor drawbacks can be overlooked. The one thing they need to add to the game is the energy percentage of each player on the d-pad sub menu. Great game and this 2.3 user score is a joke. Expand
  98. Nov 18, 2018
    Despite being a good simmers game avoid the gameplay at all cost I put on tight coverage on our team at all times, think your defense is good HA NOPE!! A guy 99 speed with 99 shot contest will get burned by a 69 speed dude no matter what play what overall and lets not forget the bloody broken net often Andre Robinson will have Kawhi Lenard on him with me smothering him and he will haveDespite being a good simmers game avoid the gameplay at all cost I put on tight coverage on our team at all times, think your defense is good HA NOPE!! A guy 99 speed with 99 shot contest will get burned by a 69 speed dude no matter what play what overall and lets not forget the bloody broken net often Andre Robinson will have Kawhi Lenard on him with me smothering him and he will have over 50% percent chance of making it yet I miss wide open corner shots with Steph Curry, Kyle Korver, Seth Curry, Dirk Nowitzki I could go on for hours, now don't get me wrong I can take a loss but when you are cheated this bad it makes you blow a fuse!! It's so artificially difficult then the commentary "omg what a bad shot" while I was wide open on a pick & roll play then they say I'm getting crushed while up 64- 42 at halftime with the ball!! [SARCASTICLY] HOW FRICKIN IMMESIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! edit: and insane microtransactions make the game worse 1/10 worse than school food Expand
  99. Nov 25, 2018
    Once a good guys on the basketball games front, 2k were ruined by all the money and a lack of competition. Now they are just another greedy corporation, not only they want you to spend 60$ on the roster update every year, this game is also riddled with microtransactions proudly representing all the worst qualities of a modern game industry. Please, do yourself and an industry a favour andOnce a good guys on the basketball games front, 2k were ruined by all the money and a lack of competition. Now they are just another greedy corporation, not only they want you to spend 60$ on the roster update every year, this game is also riddled with microtransactions proudly representing all the worst qualities of a modern game industry. Please, do yourself and an industry a favour and don't buy this game. Only declining sales will make them realise that gamers are fed up with this approach. Expand
  100. Oct 2, 2018
    Sentimientos encontrados con NBA 2K19. Le estoy echando muchas horas y lo disfruto mucho, una jugabilidad que no iguala nadie, ni por asomo, representación de jugadores, equipos excelentes, muchos modos de juego, y disfruto de los modos de juego en offline. Cuando entramos al My Team es desesperante, solo predomina el pay to win. Gente con equipazos la mayoría pagados. no hay igualdad, elSentimientos encontrados con NBA 2K19. Le estoy echando muchas horas y lo disfruto mucho, una jugabilidad que no iguala nadie, ni por asomo, representación de jugadores, equipos excelentes, muchos modos de juego, y disfruto de los modos de juego en offline. Cuando entramos al My Team es desesperante, solo predomina el pay to win. Gente con equipazos la mayoría pagados. no hay igualdad, el Matchmaking no existe, si tienes un equipo de 80 te puedes enfrentar a uno de 99, y a veces llega a desesperar y quitarte las ganas. Si no te quieres gastar ni un €, tienes que jugar mucho, con la consecuente renovación de contratos y gastos de MT. Una desesperación Expand

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Oct 28, 2018
    NBA 2K19 is fantastic at all the times when it isn’t asking you to part with real cash. Although sadly, in MyCareer, you’ll be tempted to open your wallet way too often. [Issue#155, p.95]
  2. Oct 12, 2018
    NBA 2K19 is still the go-to basketball simulation game out there. Its polish and refinement have only improved since last year, and it's difficult to imagine any improvements for next year. The MyCareer story has definitely improved, and so have the cut scene management and character customization. MyTeam feels like a revolving mode of new updates and content, but players who don't purchase VC may be getting the short end of the stick, since 10 pack boxes are exclusive to VC only. The game is amazing in all regards, but the constant reminder and pressure to purchase VC is wearing thin.
  3. Oct 9, 2018
    NBA 2K19 is everything that you expect from a basketball game. With the new edition 2K Games and Visual Concepts are closer to the real thing than ever.