8.1

1. Oct 31, 2019
    The story and world are beautiful and charming, but the combat system really killed the enjoyment i had with this game. This could have been an amazing experience, what a shame.
  2. Sep 26, 2019
    The game is a 10/10. The remaster is a 7/10. The improvements simply are not enough to warrant a re-purchase if you already own and have played the PS3 version. All you are getting is an improved resolution and 60 fps...both of which are nice but unneeded improvements for this type of game. (The PS3 version has a softer glow which many may actually find more aesthetically pleasing than theThe game is a 10/10. The remaster is a 7/10. The improvements simply are not enough to warrant a re-purchase if you already own and have played the PS3 version. All you are getting is an improved resolution and 60 fps...both of which are nice but unneeded improvements for this type of game. (The PS3 version has a softer glow which many may actually find more aesthetically pleasing than the sharper PS4 version). What you are NOT getting is improved geometry (i.e. round things like mushrooms are still "hexagons"), additional familiars, improved controls, or additional modes. It is the exact same game as the PS3 version. I would only recommend this to people who do not have a PS3...otherwise just pick up a brand new PS3 copy for $16 on amazon. The PS4 version is currently $50...with minimal improvements. As a fan of the game I was disappointed with this remaster. Expand
  3. Sep 20, 2019
    The best JRPG from the PS3 era is now available for the current generation, beautiful remastered and finally in 60 FPS (on PC and PS4) . If you have any love for JRPGs or Studio Ghibli Movies you should buy this Game
  4. Dec 8, 2019
    The best Pokemon game ever made. Which should embarrass the Pokemon company.

With only minor visual improvements it's not something you need to immediately buy a second time but if you've never played it then it's the best place to start.
  5. Sep 21, 2019
    One of the best JRPG game of the generation. The design is outstanding! colorful and magical! beautiful characters and mechanics!
  6. Oct 3, 2019
    The story is pretty interesting the animation is gorgeous and the music is good.But the biggest problem i have with this game is that h 70% of it is just walking and walking and walking and walking and it gets so boring and annoying so fast.And the combat is incredibly slow and tedious and i got tired of it after 20 mins of fighting.If you have the patience and love walking simulatorsThe story is pretty interesting the animation is gorgeous and the music is good.But the biggest problem i have with this game is that h 70% of it is just walking and walking and walking and walking and it gets so boring and annoying so fast.And the combat is incredibly slow and tedious and i got tired of it after 20 mins of fighting.If you have the patience and love walking simulators with good stories and boring as heck fights sure play it,but if not i suggest you play the second Ni No Kuni 2 since it was so good and way better than its prequel Expand
  7. Sep 23, 2019
    A visual masterpiece. Loved it from the very first moment. If you love JRPGs you can't miss this one. I've played for 50 hours already.
  8. Jul 18, 2020
    The combat doesnt function properly, walking through enemies, defense glitches, completely scripted deaths when bosses have almost no health left after 20 minutes of fighting. Awful combat even if it functioned. This game is one of the worst gameplay experiences ever, and I'm 40 hours in. Wat a waste of time.
  9. Jun 9, 2020
    After 16 hours I really can't see myself playing for 34 more; there's really nothing here to draw me in. The story is way too G and has no urgency, the combat is mostly automated and rather dull, and the party AI in combat is ABYSMAL.

Date Dropped: 2020-06-08
    Playtime: 16h
    Enjoyment: 5/10
    Recommendation: meeeeeeeh
  10. Oct 13, 2019
    This is a lovely RPG with an enchanting world, likeable characters and beautiful design. The story is engaging all the way through, the combat feels quite unique and levelling up always feels satisfying. My only gripe is the excessive amount of grinding that needs to be done in order to complete the game in its entirety.
  11. Sep 27, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good jrpg mix of tales and turn based in ghibli artstyle and a fairy tale like story Expand
  12. Jan 21, 2020
    Its a big game with over 100 hours of game time you can finish the game and play the dlc which enhances the combat which is fun HOWEVER the story could have been better with some aspects and the soundtracks are repetitive but it was still a fun game
  13. Aug 1, 2020
    I enjoyed the heck out of this game. But the battle system is just wrong. I have no idea how the critic scores have zero negative reviews and a couple of mixed. The combat system is the most frustrating I have played in any JRPG. It's slow, your familiars tend to jump about instead of attacking some of the time. You get pretty much zero time to react and defend when a boss unleashes aI enjoyed the heck out of this game. But the battle system is just wrong. I have no idea how the critic scores have zero negative reviews and a couple of mixed. The combat system is the most frustrating I have played in any JRPG. It's slow, your familiars tend to jump about instead of attacking some of the time. You get pretty much zero time to react and defend when a boss unleashes a powerful attack, Oliver 100% of the time casts Ward for some reason when you control another character, the amount of times I had to recast a spell cause it gets cancelled by an enemy attack (Or an ally's ability) 95% of the time, MP replenishing items are so expensive, when it's heavily reliant on using attacks that cost MP, I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, story and characters, but it's just the battle system that let it down. I just feel that if it wasn't a Studio Ghibli game, this would have gotten bombed due to the combat system.
  14. Jun 28, 2020
    The biggest complaint I have about this game is that the first 20 hours of this game is very slow and pretty boring. If you manage to get through that part it gets way better as it doesn't take forever to do everything.

Apart from that: Good story, graphics and music. You prepare your team kind of like in Pokemon and you can choose to fight using the pokemon or their trainers in combat, I really liked the combat system. I also had a lot of fun with all the sidequests and bountyhunts throughout the game.
  15. Nov 13, 2019
    Game is amazing. Great RPG. Definitely a classic.
    Very in-depth game. Buying it again was automatic.
  16. Nov 12, 2019
    BulgarianCritic doesn't know JRPG games from FGC games. Don't pay attention to that review. Especially since he likes the 2nd better than the 1st, which was absolutely pathetic in comparison!

This game is very underrated IMO in the JRPG realm. I played it 4 times already and can tell you with certainty that the 2nd can only be played once and never again. Regarding the excessive

Regarding the excessive "walking" that they mention, that's if you don't want to fight anyone. If you want to fight familiars, which are the little pokemon-like creatures in the game, then you can spend days doing that.

There are secrets. There are side quests. There is everything you can enjoy in Pokemon found in this game. Evolutions? Check. Learn new moves? Check. Feeding familiars? Check.

This is 1 of my favorite all time games for the genre
  17. Jan 8, 2020
    Absolutely beautiful looking game with a creative world and amazing character designs. The characters are well made with great development lots of explorations to make your cry, make you laugh and much more. I love the battle system it is different but works amazing. So much to do and explore on the side as well
  18. Dec 22, 2019
    An RPG that mixes Pokémon elements with wonderful graphics and beautiful art direction. A very tangled plot in the last few hours, but a great jrpg
  19. Apr 13, 2020
    There is a lot of ado about this game, but it plays just like commonplace. There is nothing really new in the battles, and the story sometimes really gets nonsense, in a quite uninteresting way. The speeches are kinda harsh for non-english speakers. Definitely, not the masterpiece thar many claim it tob be. Just an ordinary RPG, graced by occasional Ghibli animations.
  20. Feb 3, 2020
    Great game animation is superb interesting story great rpg a must play(playing on Nintendo Switch).
  21. Feb 15, 2020
    Einfach wunderschön und packende und perfekt inszenierte Story. Dir Studio Ghibli Cutscenes sind ein Traum jedoch leider eeeetwas zu wenige für meinen Geschmack. Das Grinden für Platin war zwar etwas zeitraubend aber dies beeinflusst meine Wertung hier nicht.
  22. Apr 8, 2020
    Mi ero già innamorato anni fa quando uscì per PS3 e ritrovare una remastered per PC per me è stato fantastico. Al livello di gioco e di grafica è esattamente come me lo ricordavo e ne sono felicissimo. Per un neofita di questo stile il combattimento risulta sicuramente macchinoso, ma alla fine secondo me è il giusto compromesso tra combattimento a turni e dinamico. Storia interessantissimaMi ero già innamorato anni fa quando uscì per PS3 e ritrovare una remastered per PC per me è stato fantastico. Al livello di gioco e di grafica è esattamente come me lo ricordavo e ne sono felicissimo. Per un neofita di questo stile il combattimento risulta sicuramente macchinoso, ma alla fine secondo me è il giusto compromesso tra combattimento a turni e dinamico. Storia interessantissima ed intrigante fin dall'inizio, alcune meccaniche secondo me potevano essere riviste (come gli atterraggi e in generale l'utilizzo di Tengri che mi fa partire il rage ogni volta e quei 60 fps che non hanno molto senso effettivamente), ma alla fine hanno deciso per rimanere su quello già dato in pasto al pubblico e sono contento così. Expand
  23. Sep 3, 2020
    I don't know if the remastered really brings anything to the table that the PS3 version didn't. It's the same great JRPG it always was, but I think the 4K looks fantastic. I'm glad I didn't pick this up when it was new and 40 bucks, but the used prices these days are well worth the price for anyone new or wanting to revisit it.
  24. Jul 25, 2020
    (DISCLAIMER: I did not finish the game. I got roughly ten hours in before I decided to call it quits.)

An endearing premise and Ghibli visuals do a lot to carry this JRPG, but not enough to save it from clunky combat mechanics that ultimately drag this game into the murky waters of mediocrity. Like many modern JRPGs, NNK has walked away from the clean precision of turn based combat,

Like many modern JRPGs, NNK has walked away from the clean precision of turn based combat, opting instead for clumsy action-rpg system where your party and a handful of monsters run around a little combat area in real time.

Despite this, commands such as "attack" and "defend" still require you to flip through a menu, which can become an issue when enemy attacks are time sensitive, leading to a lot of frustration when big attacks you saw coming hit you anyway as you fumble with the controls.

You can only control one party member at any given time, so there isn't much in the way of teamwork. Your other party members can have certain behaviors set if you don't want them burning through mana, but you can only change behaviors if you're in control of a human character.

You see, you aren't just having to shuffle through a single party of characters, but each character has a sub-party in the form of monster familiars who all share health and mana with their user.

The designs of the familiars are mostly forgettable, which is an issue because the game emphasizes you use them in combat over the more endearing human characters.

I quit once the game introduced monster capturing and evolving (think pokemon), finally burying my already waning interest under a even more pet management mechanics.
  25. Jul 19, 2020
    It's just a slugfest. Boring characters, terrible gameplay, only thing going for it is the art
  26. Jul 24, 2020
    This Game is a Masterpiece. I dont need to say anything more than that. Just buy it.
  27. Aug 8, 2020
    Game has some beautiful cutscenes, but over all the ai in the game makes it extremely frustrating. They regularly go all out on random encounters and waste there mp, then in boss fights they will just not defend from a heavy attack and die super fast.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 31 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 17, 2019
    The PS4 Remastered Edition moves super smooth throughout its gameplay segments. The visuals are clear and run at a high framerate all the time. Overall, I feel the game comes out as being equal on both versions since the Switch version has the added bonus of being portable. You really can't go wrong with either version. Just ask yourself, will you be playing it on a HDTV or on the go? Either way, buy it and experience it for yourself because you will be pleased either way.
  2. Nov 14, 2019
    This beautiful Remastered version brings to actual consoles one of the most intriguing and magical JRPGs made by Level-5. Be sure not to miss it... again.
  3. Oct 31, 2019
    Ni no Kuni's whimsical world and aesthetic will pull you in with memories of your childhood anime and cartoons.