8.7

Watch Now
Buy on

1. Feb 12, 2020
    Despite not up to date graphics and other flaws (like boring mmo-like side quests and unbalanced weapons) the game is one of the most memorable and atmospheric games of all time. The characters and the music are unique, and if you beat the game you will never forget it.
  2. Feb 14, 2020
    One of those game with an ending that doesn't leave you indifferent. The way it deals with issues such as conscience or destiny is worthy of the great masters. Love it.
  3. Jun 19, 2020
    Damn, this game is awesome. This is an art I think. Beautiful music, great story, excellent character design. The first time I did not understand this game. But the second time I couldn’t tear myself away from her. By the way, I was expelled from the university because of her xD I love this game. Yoko Taro - you fn genius)
  4. Oct 28, 2019
    What a game this is !
    Never thought I was gonna play it cuz i had some wrong impressions on it but man did i get wrong on this one..
    Everything in this game is just phenomenal but one thing goes beyond all and thats the story.
    PlatinumGames deserve a huge Bravo for this one!
    If you ever got in any doubt about trying Nier:Automata - dont be, just play it and be a part of this piece of art!
  5. Mar 18, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It certainly isnt a perfect game but a game that really makes u question so many difficult topics and what it really means to live. The emotions i felt during the final act are a one in a lifetime experiance. Expand
  6. Jul 7, 2020
    A game like no other. The story is deep and engaging, the gameplay is fast and stylish, the music is out of this world, and the semi-open world is breathtaking. This game also features a lot of unconventional design choices that are very surprising and like nothing I've ever seen before, but they are sure welcoming surprises.
  7. Apr 19, 2020
    I was surprised with how much I ended up enjoying this game. It has fun, fast gameplay and feels to me like somewhere between Ocarina of Time and an old PS1 Squaresoft RPG. Its quirky, addictive, and has a good story with some interesting twists.

My only criticism is that the second play through (there are 5 main endings, requiring 3 play throughs) is a little too similar to the first and the character is no where near as fun to control as the one you start out with. I was finding myself doing less of the side quests on that one.

Generally there is a good amount of freedom in the game to roam around and do quests at will, but it is done so in a way that you never feel like you lose the main narrative. Plenty to discover and some great settings. Music is unbelievable!
  8. May 15, 2019
    I was pretty excited to finally play this game after hearing all the praise it has, not only from fans, but a lot of gaming outlets as well, almost all the time I tend to agree with them, but this is just one of those times where I just don't quite get it....
    This game is a combination of an Action game, with an open world and some RPG elements, also there are some shoot'em up elements (the second playable character will have a lot of sections of this) and the game can't even execute one of those single genres well....
    The combat, which is similar to Bayonetta if you are familiar with that series, 2 attack buttons: 1 heavy and 1 light attack, but in this case, the combo variety options this game offers are pretty limited and considering the poor enemy ai design, their paterns are very predictable and honestly, most of them feel the same while fighting them, you'll just end up using the same moves over and over again, there's really not a real challenge, unless higher the difficulty settings which only makes the game harder in an artificial way (enemies do more damage). None of the bosses feel memorable, at least in a gameplay-wise pov.
    Now into the open-world and RPG aspect.... I don't really understand what was the point of making this game open-world, none of the side-quests are interesting in any way, most of them consist of the same thing (go here, kill enemy, collect item, return to quest giver) and the fact that the game purposely ("lore") avoids a auto-save feature so you'll have to save every single time, because in most cases, the game doesn't offer check-points (although in my experience, some boss fights did have them... for some reason). It is worth mentioning that, at least for me, for an open world game to be good it most have a world where you can forget about the main missions for a bit, and this game just doesn't have that kind of world.... most of the areas are empty, and since it is using gameplay elements from an action game... you really don't have anything to do in it.... I really feel this should be a linear game separated by chapters, like every other action game in the market, at least if this game is supposed to be "all about the story bro" like their fans are claiming it to be.

The leveling system doesn't feel as rewarding like other RPGs, because it doesn't really serve a purpose in the game... except for some side-quest that won't adjust to your level, and since you have to buy your abilities with in-game currency, I don't see why it was implemented.
    The graphics are really not that good for what this generations is capable of, these are on the same level as a PS3/360 game, for the looks of it, they used the same engine Platinum used for Bayo 1, MGS Rising. I do admit some areas, like the castle in the woods, do look pretty.
    My favorite aspect of this game is the music, I think it is one of the few things the game nails to achieve. The story is... interesting, but I'll have to admit I don't really get the praise it receives, but the fact that you have to deal with all the boring gameplay aspects made it kinda difficult for me to really enjoy the trip, and the fact that you have to beat the game 2 TIMES (the second one is way worse than the first one, since you won't be having a 2nd button attack here, but a "hacking" button that triggers a shoot'em up minigame... meaning that you'll have to play it hundreds of times) to get to the second part of the main story just made it worse.
    I particulary like the english dub, I think the voices of the 3 main characters nailed it in their roles, and I say this as someone who likes to play/watch things in their original language.
    I guess I'll admit that 2B's character model.... is quite something, but sex appeal won't make me higher my final score for this game lol.

I do know that Yoko Taro games are known for having pretty bad gameplay and a lot of technical issues, and since this game was developed by Platinum Games, this is one of the better ones in those aspects, and I really don't have an issue if the guy has an audience that likes his games, but for gaming outlets and other professional reviewers completely ignoring this game's issues and going as far as nominating it for GOTY alongside games that actually are well crafted GAMES (Breath of the Wild, Persona 5) is something I can't respect.
  9. Aug 1, 2020
    Best game i ever played, the gun goes boom, the android goes blast blast, unique gameplayyy
  10. Mar 19, 2019
    游戏是个好游戏,但是开发商吃相太难看,价格定位过高,如果是一开始的199定价,我相信很多人会买,六分给的游戏,扣开发商四分
  11. Aug 7, 2019
    The combat is fast and graceful. The story is good from the start. The music is good. And the different camera angles they use is interesting. You get a full package of game here. Some of the side quest are bad. But overall it's a good game.
  12. Mar 1, 2019
    So we all already known that Nier:Automata was the nice game and has some performance issues, but Yorha edition just do nothing for original Nier, it doesn't fix bugs or improve performance, not give us new game-play features, just a few avatars ( who care about them? ) and pod skins ( the same as avatars ). So i really don't understand why you give to this game 8-9 score. That scoreSo we all already known that Nier:Automata was the nice game and has some performance issues, but Yorha edition just do nothing for original Nier, it doesn't fix bugs or improve performance, not give us new game-play features, just a few avatars ( who care about them? ) and pod skins ( the same as avatars ). So i really don't understand why you give to this game 8-9 score. That score should be on Nier:Automata but not Yorha edition. Expand
  13. Mar 2, 2019
    Best Game in Looooong Time Si es perfecto que mas puedo decir la musica la accion el hecho que lo pase bien y no me aburi como con los otros AAA que salen como productos sin almas. Este juego es una experiencia interactiva hasta el ultimo de los creditos. mexclando realidad con virtualidad en una forma que pocos ejemplares pueden hacerlo. le doy 10 no por fanatismo sino porque laBest Game in Looooong Time Si es perfecto que mas puedo decir la musica la accion el hecho que lo pase bien y no me aburi como con los otros AAA que salen como productos sin almas. Este juego es una experiencia interactiva hasta el ultimo de los creditos. mexclando realidad con virtualidad en una forma que pocos ejemplares pueden hacerlo. le doy 10 no por fanatismo sino porque la experiencia fue de 10 y al final todo lo que buscamos en un juego es esa cosa que nos dice me alegro de haberlo terminado y no de por fin lo termine. Expand
  14. Mar 21, 2019
    simplemente el mejor juego de esta generación , recomendado a todos . Una historia sublime , personajes , jugabilidad de 10 etc , simplemente comprendo
  15. Mar 4, 2019
    OMG LMAO
    It's such a stupid way to get money from poor players. Completely agree with VioleGreis. The most helpful review ever!
  16. Mar 9, 2019
    I dont regret having bought this game.
    I believe that it is a game of 10 !!
  17. Mar 5, 2019
    a masterpiece of good play action good music, history controls I recommend it
  18. Apr 8, 2019
    This is an odd one for me, I loved the 1st game, I couldn't enjoy this game.

This is an odd one for me, I loved the 1st game, I couldn't enjoy this game.

It just felt kind of empty to me, combat was good, animation was nice, but the settings were hideously ugly and dull, most of the sets looked worse then the original game, I just couldn't click with it, never got to finish the first play through as my interest just kept trailing off, no idea how you could play it multiple times, there must be a good game here, but I've just struggled to connect with it so not a recommendation from me.
  19. Nov 24, 2019
    The game was not so great now, it was totally overhyped. The gameplay is very fast, and the game does not manage to develop personal proximity to the characters.
    The soundtrack is outstanding.
  20. Mar 28, 2019
    I had not played the previous games so went in without any prior bias. Was enjoying it till I got to the ending and then another ending and then another ending by which point I had gotten tired of it and wished it just had one ending and thats it.
  21. Mar 9, 2019
    Gameplay wise, there is nothing special about Nier: Automata. If you like Platinum games, you can enjoy the combat, though it is not as good as the Bayonetta series, it's not as bad as the Korra game.

Where the game truely shines is its narrative. The game uses the works of philosophers like Nietzsche to tell the story and serve as a backbone for its core themes. While they don't provide any interesting commentary on the works they reference, very few games even attempts on tackling this subject matter and they actually do some quite clever things to its narrative and gameplay to invoke the works they reference. The game ends with the most interesting moral choice in video games ever. I won't spoil it here, but I will say that unlike other games where a moral choice usually means you see one of two endings, this is a moral choice with actual consequence on the player making the choice.

One main gripe I have with the game is the character design of 2B. I'm no prude, but I was disappointed that with everything else about the narrative of the game being so well thought out and deliberate, that the only justification the creator had for 2B's sexualised design was that he likes looking at hot girls. This is a rather shallow design choice as it sacrifices both realism and characterisation.

On the realism front, there is no reason to send a battle android into battle in a dress. It offers no protection and later on you see that they could have put her in amour the entire time, they just chose not to.

On the characterisation front, 2B is portrayed as a cold, aloof character that is actually emotionally vulnerable and caring on the inside. Again this is not reflected in her character design as nothing about a skirt suggests cold on the outside, caring on the inside. Again a suit of amour would have fit in better as it alludes to the fact that her cold exterior is just a defence mechanism to help her not get too close to those she cares about, but if you get past her emotional amour, she is vulnerable.

With everything else being so well thought out, the decision to put 2B in a skimpy outfit seems like a missed opportunity.
  22. Apr 26, 2019
    I honestly cannot understand the respect that this game gets.

Very bland combat (and that is all that you do). The story is typical JRPG nonsense.
    Voice acting is very poor. Attack, dodge, rinse and repeat.

I tried for about 4 hours and gave up and got rid.
    From what I had read, I expected something life-affirming but it was dreadful.
  23. May 11, 2019
    Entre los personajes y los paisajes y sus gráficos no salgo de casa.
  24. Oct 28, 2019
    one of most overrated garbage ever played broken console port on pc looks **** boring empty open world stpuid mechanics like restart the whole game for continue story is good if you are a 14 teen
  25. Dec 31, 2019
    Sinceramente como as pessoas gostaram desse jogo. GRAFICOS ULTRAPASSADOS HORRÍVEIS. JOGO TODO CHEIO DE NEBLINA PRA ESCONDER E DESFARSAR OS GRÁFICOS MAL FEITO. JOGABILIDADE ANDA EM MATA UNS ROBÔS SEM GRAÇA S TUFO REPETIDO S
    SEM FALA DO MAL ACABAMENTO FO JOGO TRILHA SONORA OKAY HISTÓRIA SEM GRACA Clichê sem fala pior de tudo mundo vazio quer te mal elaboradas não sou hater mais e mal feito esse jogo odiei pior recepção.Nao vale a pena jogo parece joguinho de celular
  26. Jun 28, 2020
    Firstly, a 2017 release - graphically does not hold that great in 2020, however the gameplay mechanics still do and are astonishing, i was pleasantly surprised and impressed many times over, the entire system is seamless, the boss battles are some of the best I've ever experienced, so many layers, so much depth..... so many phases! There is so much replay value if that's your thing, it's aFirstly, a 2017 release - graphically does not hold that great in 2020, however the gameplay mechanics still do and are astonishing, i was pleasantly surprised and impressed many times over, the entire system is seamless, the boss battles are some of the best I've ever experienced, so many layers, so much depth..... so many phases! There is so much replay value if that's your thing, it's a game that actually encourages you to in order to see the other endings.
    The music/soundtrack compliments the action so well, I personally didn't understand the story... nor did i really care for it, I've only done one playthrough and I won't be doing another.
    I do feel this game is overhyped though.
  27. Jun 6, 2020
    * TLDR and my suggestion:

Nier Automata is a decent game that left me with mixed feelings. It's unique. But it also has its frustrating moments. If you are out of good games then give this one a go. I suggest you don't touch the side-quests and just progress the main story. You'll have a way better time. * I originally had written a much longer review of this game but to MetaCritic's
    * TLDR and my suggestion:

* I originally had written a much longer review of this game but to MetaCritic's 5K letter limit I had to cut in half and forgo the positives. There are many of those reviews out there.

* What keeps this game from being a masterpiece?
    As great as Nier Automata is, it has it's annoying moments. And unless these moments are addressed with fair and constructive critisicm, they will be included Yoko Taro's next games or any aspiring developer who wants to learn from this game. That's the main reason I am writing thise piece, and that's why I am surprised as to how many reviews, even those who sporadically mention these flaws, ingnore them in their ratings.

- Flawed pacing:
    The pacing of Nier Automata reminded me of MGS5. When a quest becomes available, I, the cosumer, take it as a sign that the game wants me to do it. However these side-quests have almost nothing to do with your main quest and doing them actually hurts the pacing of the game.
    So basically, no story development while you are doing unrelated side-missions and when a story development does happen you know that a snooze-fest is awaiting you further ahead until the next development happens.
    Keep in mind, these side-missions are designed to be a part of the game; if you delete them, you're omitting a big chunk of the game.

- Sinful side-quests:
    These side-quests are not only causing pacing issues for the main mission but they themselves are to put it mildly 'unispired'.
    All the old sins of the 90s are here. 'Fetch quests' are the best you can hope for. 'Escorting helpless NPCs' are here as well. And the one side-mission where you 'walk aimlessly in a huge barren desert, hoping to chance upon hidden items' just takes the cake.
    They're the prime examples of 'filler content'.
    The 'existential crisis' these quest convey isn't due to the story but your IRL time-waste.

- Main story momentum killers:
    For some reason, the cool moments in the game are immediately followed by some event that intentionally kills the flow. It's like the cow that produces a lot of milk but as the bucket starts to fill, poops a hard dung in it and spoils it all.
    For example, after a cool event, you are forced to stumble for about 4-5 minutes across the map unable to use any abilities. You also can't jump. This clearly intends to frustrate the player. But why? I'd calmly put down the controller and play another game.

- Unnecessary multiple playthroughs:
    The multiple playthroughs turned out to be more of a marketing strategy.
    [PARAGRAPH BELOW TALKS ABOUT NUMBER OF PLAYTHROUGHS. SKIP IF YOU CONSIDER IT A SPOILER]
    The game has 5 meaningful endings. To get those endings you have to play '3 routes'. However the 2nd route 80% matches your 1st playthrough, and the rest are bits of new info sprinkled in. The 3rd playthrough is basically a new segment of the story locked behind those 2. Keep this in mind as we go on.
    [END OF DISCUSSION ABOUT NUMBER OF PLAYTHROUGHS]
    Here's the problem. Halfway through your first playthrough, you unlock the fast-travel. However, when you start your 2nd route this fast-travel mechanic is taken away until you unlock it again in the middle of your current playthrough. So you have to do all the boring trekking once more, doing the same missions again. I personally find it this decision very hard to swallow.
    So, given how much new content exists in these multiple playthroughs, you are basically dealing with a single normal-length campagn which is stretched through muliple playthoughs to artificially inflate its length and value. I don't know whether this was an executive decision by Yoko Taro or an artistic one, but what it leaves me with, is the sense that the game doesn't respect my time, at all.

- Under-utilized combat:
    This is a Platinum game. You except to see cool fights and skill based slashing. But unfortunately the JRPG nature of the game overtakes and leaves the combat under-utilized.
    Combat is more about your level that it's about your skill. You slash and then you dodge. The system of combat is very simplified. If the enemy is +10 levels higher than you, the fight is gonna drag on until you give up or finish it and not gain anything for your hard effort.
    The lackluster nature of combat extends to your weapons too. There are many weapons in the game but the weapons of the same class all share the same movesets. A greatsword has the same animation and moveset as a halberd! This is a huge disappointing and limiting factor for a game that wants to encourage exploring and finding those weapons.

Summary:
    Nier Automata is a good game but you will have to practice patience, especially if you are a completionist.
  28. Jun 26, 2020
    Not a good game the frames are not the best hhshusushejjdjdjdjjdjdjdjdjididk
  29. Mar 28, 2020
    The lack of auto save is unforgivable for a game like that. I played 1h in the prologue, the game crashed, and I had to restart from scratch... bye bye Nier Automata
  30. Jun 17, 2021
    Not a decent action/ARPG game.

Demo has about 75% action content of the entire game.
  31. Jan 15, 2020
    This is one of the best games on the ps4. I know that''s a strong statement but it's absolutely up there with the very best story games out there. The combat system is similar to dmc/bayonetta because it's platinum games and its arguably what they do best. The music is some of the best in gaming and is easily as strong as those found in classic final fantasy games. If you do play this thenThis is one of the best games on the ps4. I know that''s a strong statement but it's absolutely up there with the very best story games out there. The combat system is similar to dmc/bayonetta because it's platinum games and its arguably what they do best. The music is some of the best in gaming and is easily as strong as those found in classic final fantasy games. If you do play this then you MUST play all 3 stories otherwise you've not actually finished the game. I was genuinely gutted when I finished it as I loved the characters and the eorld Expand
  32. Jul 1, 2020
    One of the most wonderful games around. Deserves so much more attention than it gets. Wonderful music, profound story & incredible gameplay. If you're reading this. Buy this game.
  33. May 27, 2020
    I have a habit of explaining to my mother the stories of games that I enjoy. This is the only game I have explained to her where she agreed that the point the game made was incredible and she did not say "You're 32, stop playing videogames." The one flaw of this game is that unless you get all the endings, the game will not seem that good. I know this sounds like a cop out but it is theI have a habit of explaining to my mother the stories of games that I enjoy. This is the only game I have explained to her where she agreed that the point the game made was incredible and she did not say "You're 32, stop playing videogames." The one flaw of this game is that unless you get all the endings, the game will not seem that good. I know this sounds like a cop out but it is the truth. The beauty of the game is exactly that. It vets the uncurious and simple players who just want to smash robots and win and leaves the rest of the game to be enjoyed by the ones who care about the story and are intrigued by the existentialist crises that occur through the game's many characters. I forced myself to play a second time around after getting the first ending and I was not really looking forward to it but the good game play made me enjoy it quite a lot. By the end of all the five main endings, I saw what the game was doing and I had the greatest gaming moment of my life. I will not spoil it and you should not look to see what it is but it is an incredible moment that is anti-nihilistic and explains the value of life, love, perseverance and helping each other. Expand
  34. May 9, 2021
    Ein wahres Meisterwerk. Ich saß so oft mit offenen Mund und Tränen vorm Fernseher. Fast alles, was ich in Nier Replicant kritisiert habe wurde in Automata verbessert. Das Kampfsystem ist einfach hammer. Der Soundtrack wurde übertroffen. Das Backtracking wurde zurückgefahren.

Wenn ich irgendwas kritisieren müsste wäre es höchstens, dass 2B und 9S nicht an die Nier: Replicant Garde ran kommt. Das wäre, allerdings Meckern auf Hohem Niveau.

I love it.
  35. VTL
    Dec 21, 2019
    Siendo sinceros... la jugabilidad es semiperfecta, la estetica es muy buena, la accion no para de succeder... pero la historia es predecible... los enemigos son 4 y para de contar... su backtraking es horrible... no se porque lo consideran una obra de arte la verdad. Esta bien el juego pero nada mas... la primera pasada ademas es muy corta luego si busca sus 100 finales... pero es lo mismoSiendo sinceros... la jugabilidad es semiperfecta, la estetica es muy buena, la accion no para de succeder... pero la historia es predecible... los enemigos son 4 y para de contar... su backtraking es horrible... no se porque lo consideran una obra de arte la verdad. Esta bien el juego pero nada mas... la primera pasada ademas es muy corta luego si busca sus 100 finales... pero es lo mismo otra vez, con sus 4 enemigos otra vez... me aburrio sinceramente... lo siento. buen juego, pero nada mas. Expand
  36. Apr 2, 2020
    Mind Blowing masterpiece, one of the best stories i've ever interact in a video game, and the music is really beautiful. i regret not playing this game when it actually came out, but i had any money so is not my fault...
  37. May 27, 2019
    One of the best game I've ever played.
    The music is phenomenal the gameplay is prbably the best hack n' slash ever made (including God of War games or DMC), the story is good too - at least much better than 99% of other games.
    One of the best game I've ever played.

MOst reviewers who gave bad scores arent even finished the game, because there's a twist in it, A root (and even B) is only a prequel, though lot of reviewers thought it is the end of the game, but it is only a prequel of the rest.

Best game Ive played for the past years.
  38. Feb 6, 2021
    Nier Automata was one of 2017's best action games. Developed by Platinum (Bayonetta, Vanquish), it's a blend of hack 'n slash and bullet hell gameplay. Featuring an involving story, a desolate world and evocative music, it's comparable to Shadow of the Colossus. You play as 2B, an android warrior tasked with neutralizing rebellious machines. If there was ever a Final Fantasy game directedNier Automata was one of 2017's best action games. Developed by Platinum (Bayonetta, Vanquish), it's a blend of hack 'n slash and bullet hell gameplay. Featuring an involving story, a desolate world and evocative music, it's comparable to Shadow of the Colossus. You play as 2B, an android warrior tasked with neutralizing rebellious machines. If there was ever a Final Fantasy game directed by Hideo Kojima, then it be like this. The Game of the Yorha Edition includes extra skins, avatars, a theme and DLC. "Automata" has plenty of action, but isn't perfect. It has stuttering issues, only a few tutorials and unhelpful map. To finish the story, you need beat the game three times!. Overall, this is a terrific game. I would rate it with a 9.1 out of 10. Expand
  39. Dec 7, 2020
    The BEST OST of all time. I am still listening to its music a year since beating the game. Did I mention the story is a master piece too?
  40. Jun 29, 2019
    There is a lot of stuff to like about this game. For example the smooth movement and combat, the veritcality of the open world, a solid soundtrack, the way the camera adjusts to the situation (top down during bullet hell sequences, sidescrolling for platforming, free floating during sword combat etc.). However many people have pointed these things out already so i'm going to leave it atThere is a lot of stuff to like about this game. For example the smooth movement and combat, the veritcality of the open world, a solid soundtrack, the way the camera adjusts to the situation (top down during bullet hell sequences, sidescrolling for platforming, free floating during sword combat etc.). However many people have pointed these things out already so i'm going to leave it at that and move on to the negatives.
    - load times feel to long
    - i don't find any of the main characters in this game particularly interesting or likable (however they are not obnoxious either)
    - after I saw the credits rolling for the first time I was a little disappointed. The ending felt unsatisying and rushed, especially since I found many themes in the story to be quite promising. It also took me only 12 hours to get to the credits. Not a great first impression. New game plus added some interesting gameplay and story content. However the story content only added more to my confusion. A lot of stuff was added but it didn't explain the "Why" for me. At the end of the game i feel like i still don't know anything about YorHa or the robots on earth. And the main characters and their motivations only become less tangible throughout the game
    - graphics. I'm playing on a base PS4 and quite frankly was shocked by how ugly the game looks. Resolution is sub 1080p with heavy aliasing and despite targeting 60fps the game drops frames heavily quite often. Also texture quality is quite low. The art style doesn't help either, making for a bleak and overall rough looking image. It's laughable when you consider that games like Horizon which are similar in scope and released around the same time just look generations ahead. If you leave this game on the menu screen for a while a trailer will start playing and I feel like the trailer is how the game should have looked: it's a much smoother and clearer image with more vibrant colours. I don't know how the PS4 Pro image compares but on base PS4 graphics are a massive disappointment.

All of this being said i think that Nier Automata is an overall good game. I would recommend it to people who want a "hard scifi" game mixed with fluent combat and are willing to look past the games superficial "ugliness". Otherwise there are a bunch better looking games to play.
    The game, especially the story is really overhyped in my opinion so i'd also recommend drastically lowering your expectations for the story and the music
  41. Jun 10, 2020
    Let's get the first thing out of the way - it is a complete con to sell a new version of a game with the additional content on a voucher and not the disc, especially when this additional content is paltry at best.

This game is unique and will forever be etched into my mind, however I think there were a few missteps where they tried too hard. The combat is generally good, however when

The combat is generally good, however when multiple enemies are on the screen at once it gets very chaotic and I found it hard to dodge due to there being so much going on. It makes for a wonderful visual display but isn't always practical.

The story is a highlight of the game which needs to be played to be properly enjoyed. There's nothing as memorable as robots having existential crises and identity issues. However the whole multiple endings concept wasn't very well executed and became tedious towards the (fifth?) ending. They tried to be a bit too meta here. On your first playthrough there is enough mystery to pique curiosity but after another few attempt it gets a bit muddled. I'd say I found the ending fairly unsatisfying really.

The soundtrack is very memorable and haunting; definitely a highlight that I'd want to download to listen again later.

The graphics are also something to behold simply due to the framerate. I've not seen many games on the PS4 achieve such a high framerate that is consistent. It causes my PS4Pro to sound like a jet engine at times but this didn't concern me.

Overall, this game is well worth it. I actually didn't enjoy this when I first played it but reading up on it showed me just how much I missed out on. One further criticism I'd have is that I had to read up on a bit too much for this game, from story analysis to consequences of choices offered in game. I found this more annoying than interesting. Still well worth the price tag these days.
  42. Jul 8, 2020
    This is probably the most underrated games of all times. I have enjoyed every single second spent in this unbelievable Universe which is a brilliant mix of Isaac Asimov, Arthur Clark, The Holy Bible.

You MUST complete at least the first 3 parts of the game in order to reveal all the secrets and deep philosophy of this unbelievable world.

THE BEST GAME EVER.
  43. Aug 6, 2019
    Read very good reviews about this game. I give it a try and now i understand why people call it a masterpiece :) one of the best games ever played. Highly recommended for those who like great story, characters, action and something more, hiding beneath simplistic surface. Realy great game. But know only one thing, this game is designed for multiple walktrhoughs! And good luck.
  44. Apr 26, 2019
    One of the best games I ever played. Thank you! This game is immaculate in game industry.
  45. May 19, 2019
    Only thin i have to say about this is if you havn't played it yet your missing out big time. This game is so unique and amazing the story will make you speechless.
  46. Nov 29, 2020
    Uno de los juegos más sobrevalorados que he podido probar. Gráficos desfasados, combate aburrido que consiste en machacar botones prácticamente, una historia que no me aporta nada que no haya visto ya, la música si me parece buena. Drakengard ya me pareció un juego bastante regulero y este pues igual.
  47. Nov 5, 2019
    Mind blowing masterpiece. The story, the combats, the narrative, the musics, the technique. Graphically imperfect, but I am in love so... 10
  48. Dec 3, 2019
    Very simple fought system and empty open world is a main disadvantages of this game. But...
    But, great music, serious adult plot and cool graphic style make this game one of most atmosphered game ever.
    Honestly, I like this game.
  49. Jun 11, 2020
    most people would take a look at the cover, think it was a generic, run of the mill, overly sexual rpg. but boy oh boy would they be wrong.

you take good, fun and fast-paced hack and slash game-play; a great, minimalist graphic design; an amazing sound track; a somewhat cliche but good story and one of the best sound tracks in a video game, and you have a masterpiece. i physically

i physically cannot be bothered to take an hour to write a review about how much this game does right, but just look on youtube for a review or try the game yourself. it may not be for everyone but if you have a decent taste in games it will not disappoint
  50. Jun 24, 2020
    Normally I would put a pros and cons in my review but honestly I loved everything about this game so I am only going to list my one singular con.

Con:I absolutely hate the map in the game. This game is set in the far flung future and even now we have better mapping technology than they tried to put in this game. For the love of all that is holy fix the mapping functionality in the next game.
  51. Feb 1, 2020
    I love this game,is the best game i have played,this is experience is so goood,this game is my favorite
  52. Feb 21, 2021
    Un juegazo muy original con gran historia, jugabilidad y la mejor banda sonora de la generacion. Las misiones secundarias y los graficos flojean un poco, pero por lo demas es un gran juego
  53. Apr 20, 2020
    One of the best games you can play on the PS4:
    Gameplay 8/10
    Story 10/10
    Graphics 9/10
    OST 9/10
  54. May 3, 2021
    Trés grande surprise que ce Nier Automata ,je ne l'ai pas vu venir. Les Japonais font des jeux venus d'ailleurs également.
  55. Apr 17, 2020
    One of the most brilliant games of this generation. Great story, amazing combat system and superb soundtrack. Can't wait for the next game by Yoko Taro.
  56. Jun 21, 2020
    Fantastic story, fun engaging gameplay and a beautiful world, some bad side quests that are optional. Unique game that will stick with you!
  57. Jun 23, 2020
    Excelente juego con una trama atrapante y un sistema de combate que no te aburre en ningún momento, debes jugarlo mínimo unas 3 veces para apreciar todo lo que tiene, solo no se lleva el 10 por los problemas técnicos que tiene en su port a pc y por que no dudo mas!!!
  58. Jul 14, 2020
    a very good and surprise game
    the story , game play and sound track are amazing
  59. Jan 13, 2021
    Este es un gran juego de acción basado en RPG historia y música excepcional
  60. Jul 9, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I came for the booty but stayed for the philosophical story and later had an existential crisis.

NieR: Automata’s music is the epitome of euphonious, each track appropriately and magnificently explores the emotions you should and might feel there, the Resistance Camp offers ‘Peaceful Sleep’, a tranquil song that oozes a homely feeling, with the gentle vocals and calming melodies, it puts you at ease and makes you forget the world of ruin you live in, and even if it’s just for a moment, you get a well-needed repose.

NieR: Automata’s story is unique as it is made of three parts, 2B’s perspective of playthrough one, then 9S’ of playthrough one (which is basically playthrough 2) then playthrough 3 is from 9S and A2’s respective point of view. After each playthrough, we learn more of the lonely world they inhabit and each of their, as well as the NPCs, struggle for meaning in their existence. As we find out that the aliens that created the hostile robots have died many years ago, and the humans that created the androids to fight them have also perished long ago. Yet we are still fighting in this pointless war, with the respective creators gone, why is it that they still fight. There is great futility upon learning that fact and sadness. Then we have friendly robots like Pascal who was a deviant from those hostile robots and gained sentience, as a result, set up a friendly machine village. Pascal reads about humans and so wishes for peace and yearns for humanity. There is an irony to that as, despite his robotic facade, he is perhaps the most human character in the game. He cares for his people and desires peace. So when the hostile machines attack the village and after evacuating with the children he ferociously fights for their freedom, then returning to the children only to find them massacred was tormenting Pascal, that he wishes us to wipe his memory. This is also ironic as Pascal desires humanity, and yet what he desires at that moment makes him acknowledge his robot nature. However, the best thing I believe we as the player should do is to refuse his request, so that Pascal can learn to live with the sorrow as a human.

Going back to the main story. 2B and 9S’s fight was originally against Adam and Eve, robots that were created in the image of humans, but they later evolve and unironically become more human with their epiphanies of existence, and they, in turn, help 2B and 9S break free from the futility of the war mentally as they are more conscious. They too become enlightened as A2 was when she desired to seek meaning in their existence, but when it all came crashing down, all those two really wanted was each other. Their relationship turns into a tragic love that was realised too late in the midst of finding purpose in futility, in finding meaning in a meaningless world.

There are 26 endings in Nier: Automata, one for each letter of the alphabet, and while most are for gags the one I want to talk about is ending E, or The End of YoRHa. It serves as the true ending of the game and acts as your catharsis from all the existential angst the game imposes on you. I also believe it gives the player a choice to demonstrate an act of true kindness, but that’s a thought for another day. Here our beloved 2B, 9S and A2 are all dead, but their pods refuse to accept this and so we go through a hacking bullet hail where we fail miserably and later accept the help of other ships that we find out where the saved data of those before, and after all this, we too are given the ultimate decision of whether we would be willing to sacrifice our own data for a stranger. From this, we get to sympathise with 2B, 9S and A2 and we are sad that they are gone, but from what the pods offer we can bring them back, by reconstructing their broken bodies and retrieving their data we can give them another chance. However, the pods too question if things will go differently or are they doomed to the same fate. With their final shot of life, we don’t see it; there’s no server to back up their memories or a futile war but hope. Hope that perhaps things will go differently, that in each other’s company they will be happy. They have a chance of life, and the game encourages you to take your shot at life too.

I was not expecting NieR: Automata. It is a beautifully crafted game that offers the definitive philosophical experience that will make you ponder about existing, humanity, comfort. It makes you think if what you are doing is even worth it, as with the machines and androids fighting in a seemingly eternal war, by playing the game you are partaking in that pointless struggle, but you will learn something from the game. Be it about yourself or life, after playing through it all you will genuinely change.
  61. Sep 20, 2020
    Gehört absolut zu meinen Favoriten. Ich liebe dieses Spiel..die Story finde ich mega genial und hab es 3 mal durchgezockt und die verschiedenen enden zu sehen. Viele beschweren sich weger der Grafik was ich sinnlos finde, da die Geschichte und das gameplay alles wett macht.
  62. Apr 10, 2021
    It’s a masterpiece, on the JRPG genre no one is better than this game. An unique experience, a pure pleasure to play. It’s definitely one of the best games of all times in a handful.
  63. Jul 23, 2020
    Great gameplay, combat system is fantastic, wonderful story, incredible soundtrack. A must play for sure, should rank higher on the best PS4 games list. Another game that will leave a sense of emptiness once completed - you will miss the characters, the music... Wont be easy to find something else to fill this void.
  64. Jul 26, 2020
    Such a unique gaming experience. The game is a mish-mash of various genres in terms of gameplay, which works faily ok, but the beauty in this lies with the story and the atmosphere. It''s a Sci-fi story with multiple layers of complexity. The soundtrack is absolutely stella and a major selling point here too.

Highly recommend for gamers looking for a deeper experience in terms of

Highly recommend for gamers looking for a deeper experience in terms of storytelling. The gameplay and open world is decent but not perfect.
  65. Jul 22, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Realmente, jogos diferentes e ousados como esse são o meu tipo preferido de videogame. São poucos os jogos que transmitiram em mim uma emoção semelhante a que eu obtive ao jogar este game. Expand
  66. Jul 18, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:
    -Excelente historia, la mejor que he jugado en la actual generación de consolas.
    -Impecable banda sonora. Una de las mejores que he escuchado en años.
    -Game play profundo.
    -Diseño de personajes increíble.

Contras: -Dificultad no balanceada. El juego base tiene una dificultad muy fácil y el contenido adicional de paga está extremadamente difícil.
    -La Camara en ocasiones no es tan amigable, sobre todo contra enemigos gigantes.
  67. Dec 13, 2020
    You haven't seen such a thing since the days of Xenogears or Xenosaga, fantastic the best jrpg ever
  68. Feb 21, 2021
    NieR Automata her yönüyle çok başarılı bir oyun. Gerek kombat mekanikleri, gerek hikayesi, gerek müzikleri, gerek sanat tasarımı. Her yerinden başyapıt olduğunu hissettiriyor. Oyun oynamayı seven herkesin mutlaka ve mutlaka oynaması gerekiyor.
  69. Jul 30, 2020
    This is a sprawling open world game, packed with places to explore and secrets of the past to unravel. The story is stark, and compelling enough (though not as 'deep' as some reviews here would lead you believe) to make you want to see the game to its conclusion. The score is also fantastic for the most part, which helps draw your attention from the bleak settings.

However, therein lies

However, therein lies the main problem. To get to the 'true' ending, you have to play this game 3 times from different character perspectives. What's different between these characters? Not a whole lot, to be honest. This would be more forgiving if the areas you have to trawl through repeatedly aren't so bland and devoid of life - literally. In this apocalyptic setting, you fight robot organisms with very little in the way of variety. Bosses are standout moments from a design point, but typically devolve into an odd combination of bullet hell, and bullet sponge. If you are a completionist, expect to spend a lot of time farming the same roomful of enemies ad infinitum for the hopes rare materials will drop for upgrades.

This game would have benefited greatly from more unique story paths, or greater variation in play styles of the characters. Instead, expect to feel burn out around the halfway mark from the sheer repetition and the question; while the future may be bleak, must it be so boring?
  70. Jul 31, 2020
    Nier: Automata is an interesting game that I would highly recommend to anyone that wants to experience the full potential of what the video game medium has to offer. It's difficult to explain exactly what I mean by that sentence without ruining the experience, so if you have the chance to try the game out, I strongly suggest you do so. If you go in with an open mind, you may come away fromNier: Automata is an interesting game that I would highly recommend to anyone that wants to experience the full potential of what the video game medium has to offer. It's difficult to explain exactly what I mean by that sentence without ruining the experience, so if you have the chance to try the game out, I strongly suggest you do so. If you go in with an open mind, you may come away from Nier: Automata with a new and interesting perspective on things. But even if this game doesn't move you, I think you'll still have a good time. Expand
  71. Aug 4, 2020
    This game is awesome. Beautiful music, great story, excellent character. Taro Yoko is the man and genius.
  72. Sep 1, 2020
    This game is absolutely insane. The all in all package is even more great. I can’t write a full review without going into too much detail and wasting everyone’s time. All I can say is, I can’t recommend this game enough.
  73. Oct 27, 2020
    A máster piece. Extraordinario juego, una obra maestra de principio a fin. De hecho es un juego extraño donde los gráficos no son sobresalientes (no lo necesita) pero si el sonido. No cabe duda de que la construcción de los personajes también es extraña pero eso le da más atractivo.

La jugabilidad, la historia y el final son 10/10. Hasta los personajes son geniales, te puedes encariñsr con ellos. Uno de los mejores juegos que he jugado en mi vida.
  74. Nov 16, 2020
    Nice game I played some time ago, enjoyed it pretty much. Nothing much else to say.
  75. Apr 25, 2021
    This is a fantastic game, I’ve never played anything quite like it. It’s predominantly a hack & slash but it changes into a 2.5D shooter, 2D fighter, twin-stick shooter and a couple variations of bullet hell shmup. The gameplay is tight and lots of fun for all of the genres that it becomes. That tight gameplay comes with RPG elements (upgrades) as it progresses. The music isThis is a fantastic game, I’ve never played anything quite like it. It’s predominantly a hack & slash but it changes into a 2.5D shooter, 2D fighter, twin-stick shooter and a couple variations of bullet hell shmup. The gameplay is tight and lots of fun for all of the genres that it becomes. That tight gameplay comes with RPG elements (upgrades) as it progresses. The music is outstanding and some of the best I’ve heard in a game. All of these elements are wrapped in an outstanding, deep story. I’ve never come across a game that incorporates these styles of gameplay with strong story-driven elements.

In fact, I’ve never played a game with a story like this. While this game isn’t for everyone (nothing ever is); nobody can deny that this is a standout title. The graphics aren’t the best but they’re not bad. There is some texture pop-in at times and the world is barren. But the barren world is fitting to the plot as well as the vibe of the game. I can’t recommend this game enough.

Now for the negative about the DLC (Game of the Yorha Edition): The first issue is that the DLC doesn’t come in the actual game. It comes with a download code that you must then register and download the DLC for free. The second issue is that I’m not sure how to unlock the extra outfits. However you do that in the game, I haven’t figured it out yet. So unfortunately, this edition is crap.
  76. Dec 12, 2020
    Long story short, I might have missed what most people seem to really love in that game.

The music is fantastic (the one in the desert or in the parc are demented). The atmosphere is really breathtaking. Narration is very complex and brings tons of different angles as the story unfolds. Combats are really dynamic and generally fun. The gameplay changes several times during the game and really add to the fun. There also are some great easter eggs I loved finding.

And, that's it to me.
    The game suffers a lot of really serious issues to me that kind of ruin the fun and don't really compel me to come back to it. Some of them would be

* Really boring, fedex side quests. Most of the side quests are just "go fetch that on the other side of the map and come back to me". Although they have a strong narrative content as well, the actual quest is just roaming through the map, again and again and again.

* That map. Let's talk about it. It's huge and really impractical. There are tons of roadblocks, complicated paths to take. I can't even guess how many hours I spent just trying to run from point A to point B on that map.

* The UI is generally bad. Although there are some brilliant features to the UI when you - as a machine - are in a dire state, when you are playing normally, the mini-map is absolutely unreadable. The points of interest and quests are very hard to find. You can't turn on and off the quest locations. The games feels very old in that way.

* Combat. I know I said it was fun and dynamic. But at the end of the day, I've done most of the game using the same weapon, pod, build and special. I would have loved to have the game incentivize the variety of playstyles, with foes resisting a type of weapon or ... i don't know, prizes ?

Finally I would have to say that the story itself it kind of unsettling. I know that's part of what Square Enix did. And they did it fantastically well, which is a strong suit of the game. But man do I like feeling that bad as I discover more of the story ? Not sure.
  77. Dec 31, 2020
    This game is a must play for anyone who loves a meaningful, thought provoking, and emotional story in a video game with great gameplay. Nier: Automata deconstructs existentialism and nihilism in more effective ways than even the Blade Runner films. Not only do you constantly learn more vital information to the story’s themes throughout the playthrough of endings A-E, but the emotionalThis game is a must play for anyone who loves a meaningful, thought provoking, and emotional story in a video game with great gameplay. Nier: Automata deconstructs existentialism and nihilism in more effective ways than even the Blade Runner films. Not only do you constantly learn more vital information to the story’s themes throughout the playthrough of endings A-E, but the emotional impact of this information only grows stronger. The more you play the happier the lighter moments are and the sadder the heavy moments are, as nothing grows stale throughout its long playtime (around 30 hours to complete endings A-E). Even the side quests add so much meaning that I’m surprised some aren’t mandatory. The design of each element of the game feels purposeful, like the upgrade chips you install into your android protagonists, the legitimacy of fast travel using new bodies, and the different types of gameplay that ranges from third person hack-and-slash to retro shoot ‘em up. On top of all this, the games soundtrack is without a doubt the best I’ve ever heard. Even if you don’t like the gameplay for whatever reason or the heavily philosophical story doesn’t resonate with you, the soundtrack one you’ll want to listen to on repeat. This game jumped into my top 10 favorite games of all time and I have no doubt in that decision. Expand
  78. Mar 5, 2021
    Awesome! Beat it 3 times to get the full story! 2nd time is from a diff perspective and 3rd is new content!
  79. May 28, 2021
    Wow! I am blown away by this game.. It's epic story, music and characters reminds me of the glory days of Final Fantasy but it is also backed up fast, fun and engaging fighting that never gets boring. I did not expect this game to be as creative, magical and just so damn good.. But it really is! 10/10

Universal acclaim - based on 10 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 3, 2019
    Nier: Automata is a really compelling piece of science fiction. It builds on the thematic foundation of sentient robots and takes into a bold and heart-wrenching direction. The emotionally rich saga is further bolstered by an intensely memorable soundtrack that add so much flavor and extra dimension to the multiform narrative.
  2. Apr 2, 2019
    If you've never played NieR: Automata, this package is the perfect way to experience this bizarre and haunting masterpiece.
  3. Mar 19, 2019
    NieR Automata: Game of the YoRHa Edition was my first foray into the NieR series and I personally loved it. I know some people soured on having to basically replay the same game again just to get to the third run that opened up more of the story, but the first two routes don’t take incredibly long to play through if you don’t do any side missions. Then again doing the side missions just made the game more fun for me and I kept forgetting that I needed to finish the main story to write this review. If you’re into hack-and-slash RPGs and don’t mind having to play through the game three times to experience the full story, give this game a shot.